Ducks at Oilers, G31/08-09

This may or may not be an actual hockey card from 67-68. Jacques Plante was not drafted by Oakland but did attend the training camp that fall as a coach. He ended up playing so well the Seals signed him to a tryout contract at which time the New York Rangers complained (hia rights belonged to the Rangers and there had been no effort to acquire him since the Seals didn’t have many players) and he was sent away from TC. The following offseason, St. Louis drafted him and he had a nice run with the Blues.
The Oilers have fresh new lines and the game is on PPV. Every time I buy the game on PPV the Oilers lose and I’ve purchased tonight’s game. I have a feeling the Oilers are going to win tonight, though. New lines, MacT suggesting the veterans need to man up, PP due for an improvement and the PK cannot be this bad.

299 Responses to "Ducks at Oilers, G31/08-09"

« Older Comments
  1. oilerdago says:

Ok, here’s something to look forward to. Only 7 more periods of hockey before they can make a roster move.

Of course this assumes that someone in managment finally realizes this group of players is NEVER going to click.

2. Doogie2K says:

The kill’s actually been decent, given the amount of time we’ve spent down tonight. It’s a starting point, at least.

I think both Moreau and Staios are trying to be leaders and attempting to do too much. That combined with eroding skills (and both of these guys could play a little at one time) have them between a rock and a hard place.

And the coach is counting on them and I don’t think that should be a surprise. Coaches prefer veterans, all things being equal.

Those Lowe long contracts for pluggers look worse every year.

4. Doogie2K says:

Quick whistle.

doogie: We’re about 10 minutes from waterboarding.

6. Coach pb9617 says:

Heh. Cole gets on the ice with Hemsky for 10 seconds and goes offside.

Just don’t ever throw them out together.

BRING ME HORPENSKY!

7. Doogie2K says:

BRODZIAK!!!!!

Man they needed that one.

9. Doogie2K says:

Of course, now the feed has to slideshow.

10. pboy says:

and the lines go back into the grinder….

11. Coach pb9617 says:

If anyone has that goal on DVR, rewind it and watch where Lubo takes Pronger.

I like when an Oiler makes Pronger look like Staios.

12. oilerdago says:

Would love it if they proved me wrong and actually came back…

PP. Better score baby.

Billy Moores. Excitement.

15. oilerdago says:

So why doesn’t Getzlaff get an extra 2 for that bit of choice verbage at the ref and Moreau does?

Didn’t use the mighty F, I imagine.

17. Coach pb9617 says:

Call the timeout Mac.

18. oilerdago says:

If you’re going to move the puck around up high you have to be closer. It’s taking too long for that shot to develop and giving the goalie too much time to react.

19. Coach pb9617 says:

So you fix Gagner and Cole by playing Gagner and Cole together.

20. oilerdago says:

Gagner! Wow!!

21. Oilmaniac says:

ahh.. nice to hear…

22. oilerdago says:

OK – Cole!!!

23. Doogie2K says:

AAAAAH! I knew I’d miss a goal making sure my beat-ass old van would start. Dammit!

(On the plus side, the van started.)

24. pboy says:

Pouliot has looked terrible tonight regardless of that PP point. Might be time for a little press box action.

Now don’t lose it in regulation. Oh hell, I’m testing the Gods tonight might as well touch all the bases.

26. Coach pb9617 says:

That was some good playing on the PP by Pouliot.

By the way – when was the last time Nilsson was on the ice?!

27. Temujin says:

Edm has 45 shots tonight? Wow.

Wow. Was that a penalty?

29. Doogie2K says:

Apparently it was.

30. Coach pb9617 says:

Raise your hand if you like 78 on the half boards.

31. Coach pb9617 says:

What now?

32. Doogie2K says:

I think I’ve seen five seconds of actual motion on this PP, so I can’t judge.

33. Doogie2K says:

How many power play shots did he just say? I swore it was 22.

34. Coach pb9617 says:

I think, and I may be wrong, that this may have been Grebeshkov’s best game of the year.

Bruce must be in heaven being at the game ans seeing Stortini on the ice for a GF :)

35. devin says:

Pou is fighting the puck tonight, but you can’t deny he plays a smart game and it’s coming for him. He seems to have some nice chemistry with 89. 52 shots, unreal!

Well, folks, it’s a lot about the kids tonight. Smid’s hit was a turning point imo, Cole scores a big goal with some help from Pouliot and Gagner helped draw the penalty. D looks settled, too.

Now, OT. Hemmer time.

37. Doogie2K says:

Never mind, it’s actually 24: 20 shots at 5v4 and four at 5v3.

38. pboy says:

What now?

He’s looked weak with the puck all night, IMO. I’ve seen him play with a lot more effort than I’ve seen tonight. What happened to Gilbert? I haven’t seen him for awhile now?

39. Temujin says:

I call Morrison in OT. :-)

What a great bloody hockey game!

41. slipper says:

This has been the best PPV in forever.

Lubo is a beauty. I’m thrilled he’s an Oiler.

43. Coach pb9617 says:

Nilsson has 9 minutes of TOI tonight and did not play in the third.

44. Oilmaniac says:

its almost like a thousand lowetide prayers have been answered tonight, haha… a ppv worth it im guessing LT,..

we’ll see how it ends…

Coach: He must be hurt. Or traded.

46. Temujin says:

Well don’t you all feel bad watching the game streaming online, instead of paying for it?

:-0

47. Doogie2K says:

This OT sounded awesome. Too bad I couldn’t fucking watch it.

48. slipper says:

It seems like 71 is always on the ice. He’s just great to watch. Puck handling, passing, gunning guys down on breaks and poaching the puck from them…

49. Doogie2K says:

@Temujin: This game was shaping up not to be worth $13 until halfway through the third. I actually felt kind of vindicated before then.

Actually, no, I still don’t feel bad “stealing” it. I just wish the feed was more reliable; it usually is.

50. slipper says:

How is the clarity of the online feed? I tried that in the pre-season and it sucked.

51. Doogie2K says:

The feed I posted at the start of the thread is clear enough, it just slideshows pretty badly.

Well damn. Picked up a point, though. No game until Monday now, Oilers should be better.

Terrific game, though and a nice 3rd period comeback.

53. Coach pb9617 says:

Coach: He must be hurt. Or traded.

I didn’t hear a single mention of him.

I just rewound the third period to see if he’s on the bench. In the shot of the Oilers bench after the Cole goal, it’s Nilsson standing there in the middle of the shot. He’s not hurt.

His last shift of the game was at 13 minutes of the second period and he was benched.

54. pboy says:

He was sitting at the end of the bench right beside the tunnel. When Huddy and Moores were interviewed by Geno, he was right beside them. I swear, I didn’t notice Gilbert on the ice in the 3rd but he was there during the OT, so I must be clueless…

Cole’s most effective game as an Oiler btw

55. slipper says:

Pouliot runs down most of the messes he ever creates and I think that can buy a guy alot of slack from most NHL coaches.

56. Jonathan says:

Got back in time to watch the third period – and holy cow. What a third!

That said, despite Hiller’s play and some awesome stuff, not scoring despite nearly 2 minutes 5-on-3 is pretty unacceptable.

57. Oilmaniac says:

They showed a different dimension, new line combinations showing up.. cole is not quiting – a glimmer of hope.. gagner – the same.. wow 27 min for horcoff… there are some positives…

Nilsson must have done something but he seemed to be doing good things early iirc. His Dad used to piss off coaches too.

59. Jonathan says:

I think Pouliot’s in the top-nine now, for sure. Particularly with Nilsson benched.

60. slipper says:

Historically, with Chris Pronger on the ice the Oilers just can’t seem to get it together 5-on-3 when it matters.

61. Jonathan says:

Horcoff went 21 and 7 in the faceoff circle tonight. Not too shabby.

I get angry just watching how Carlyle uses the Getzlaf line. Key faceoff – there’s Pahlsson. Brodziak and Co. are out – there’s Getzlaf. Shift after the powerplay – Getzlaf! Hemsky’s on the ice – Pahlsson! Gagner – hey look, it’s Getzlaf!

I wonder if there’s ever been a player in NHL history so lauded by the public at large and yet so mistrusted by his own coach.

62. Jonathan says:

Slipper: That’s really more painful than funny.

63. docweb says:

Bunch of positives tonight. Cole. Gagner. Hemmer being able to play with anybody. PP finally getting one but actually looking very dangerous for the last 3. Great comeback.Sold all 4 tickets on StubHub
    Negative..Moreau’s dumbass penalties again. Roli looks weak on shootout again…just does not have that aggressive look of Garon on shootouts(otherwise solid)

64. Jonathan says:

I’m actually wondering if part of Craig MacTavish splitting up Hemsky/Horcoff was to get Horcoff out against Getzlaf – looking at the matchups tonight, I see they saw a lot of each other.

That’s good – Getzlaf’s too dangerous when he’s allowed to run against the softies.

65. Coach pb9617 says:

A happier time…

Sorry, I have no idea how you use my camera on my cell phone, but that’s Nilsson, not off to the side with the trainer, just benched.

66. Coach pb9617 says:

My eyes are bleeding after looking at the shift charts.

Did Nilsson do something wrong?

68. Milk Was A Bad Choice says:

MacT just called Nilsson a non-competer and said he has seen enough of him.

Thoughts

69. slipper says:

So who was chasing who? I’m looking at the shift chart and it looks like Mac was happy getting the Pahlsson v Hemsky match-up and he was chasing Getzlaf off the ice using Cole all night. Hard game to decipher with the line juggling and special teams.

70. Swabbubba says:

Can someone answer me why does Pouliot get a shootout chance? WTF? I think I saw better moves from Staios As much as Cole made amends when u are getting paid like him are u need to do that every game. We need a new captain give it to one of the kids because hard to lead from the PB. I did not see Nilson do to many stupid things although he was being soft on the puck maybe that is why he rode the pine. But Rollie is making every save an adventure JDD next game

71. slipper says:

Didn’t Poo score in the last shoot-out?

Actually Pouliot has a beauty PS move as seen in Toronto in the highlight of his career (so far) (TM).

MacT must be getting in his Gremlin after every loss and putting in the Stones 8-Track “When the Whip Comes Down.” What album was that? Some Girls?

73. devin says:

IIRC Nilsson was a joke on the SH goal against. Came back hard and picked up a check thru the neutral zone, and then for whatever reason just started coasting and the guy got away from him. Next thing puck is in the net. Maybe I’m remembering wrong but the poor excuse for a back check stuck out in my mind — it was either on the goal against or on another ANA 2-on-1 that nearly counted. It was so blatant that I can’t even remember if it was a GA or just an almost-GA – I was fixated on 12…

74. oilerdago says:

Nilsson is becoming the poster child for a team that is under-achieving. MacT is tired of playing the psychiatrist and with a young player, you can call him out.

But I’m as tired of having him being called out as I am of 3rd period comebacks that fall short (ok, they got 1 point).

Before I start buying into all the “good things” that everyone saw, I want to see it for a full game.

It’s obvious that Nilsson and this team can not handle good news.

75. namflashback says:

Swabubba,

Pouliot scored a sweet backhand deke during the Oilers last shootout. (NYR? or was it St. Louis)

Why is that such an unusual choice?

76. slipper says:

Rob Schremp.

77. Schitzo says:

Pouliot used that same shootout move to win one of the Florida exhibition games this year. He’s legit in the shootout

78. docweb says:

My problem with Poo is that he only has the one move. You need at least two…like that Star that was unbelievable a few years back. Not a ton of moves needed but more that just one.

Meh. Pouliot got a chance to play an elevated role and covered the bet imo. PLUS Nilsson left the cheese out overnight and Dad’s pissed at him.

Go Go Pouliot!

80. docweb says:

LT: On the shootout…not in general!

81. Fake Craig McTavish says:

If Pouliot is the answer, I forget what the question was.

82. HBomb says:

Back from the game….random thoughts, and yes, I have been drinking (so “earmuffs” for the youngsters, don’t say I didn’t warn ya):

1) Nilsson: I saw this coming. The SECOND they ditched Daum (a guy who apparently backed Buchberger) for Fuckberger (an unqualified douchebag who HS’d Nilsson in the AHL last October), I knew there was trouble ahead. And here we are. MacT’s for certain an NHL, but there’s no fucking diversity on this coaching staff right now. Yes, I like how they’re handling Gagner, but they’re fucking up Nilsson ROYALLY.

2) Cole: best game of the year tonight. End of story.

3) Pouliot: he’s getting his chance, and I’m liking his game. But this guy is going to have to fight the heckles from the same people who think Horcoff is useless. He’s Reasoner with more upside. I’d rather have Getzlaf or Richards, but guess what? It’s in the past. If Pouliot establishes himself as an NHL player, the pick is not a disaster.

4) Perry: fuck you you fucking dirty diving cuntbag. Ladislav Smid for the fucking Norris for running at you, you piece of shit. What happened to Selanne should have happened to Perry, if the concept of Karma was actually true. Speaking of which, that could be a career ender for Selanne – that was a nasty amount of blood. Thought Pronger forgot his tampon for a second there….

5) Scott Niedermayer: this guy should play for the Detroit Red Wings, the amount of fucking shit that he gets away with in terms of interference and holding.

6) Moreau and Staios: terrible play, terrible leadership. If Tambellini can offload these two slugs at the deadline, he has to do it. Souray or Horcoff for captain.

7) Good on Stortini for running at Pronger.

8) I could swear Gagner scored the tying goal. Could be wrong though.

9) Cogliano-Gagner-Cole as the new 2nd line please.

10) The steak, shrimp and caesar salad at Coliseum Steak and Pizza were all excellent, as usual. As were the Zombie, Long Island Iced Tea, and Singapore Sling.

83. Coach pb9617 says:

“Mac, was Robert Nilsson hurt or were you just not happy with his game, he didn’t play in the third period.”

“Yeah, he was just a non-competer, no competitiveness and ya know we try and coddle the competitiveness out of him but he’s he just didn’t have any again tonight. I’ve had enough and seen enough of it.”

84. Swabbubba says:

I just thought Cole should have had a shot. Over Pouliot not saying it would went any better I just though Cole earned a shot unlike my 3 would have been

Souray to make the goalie poop his pants
    Hemmer to squish it around
    Then Cole to stretch him out

I will take the point…Can I do the color next PPV Rob Brown sucks

85. HBomb says:

Somewhere, Dustin Penner is thinking “man, I got off easy”.

The Oilers had a lot of shots tonight…..but they didn’t have a whole heck of a lot in the way of traffic to the front of the net in the first forty. Lots of easy stops for Hiller.

Still, 53 shots deserves two points.

And yes, Cole should have shot in the shootout. Hit the damn post in OT.

86. Coach pb9617 says:

9) Cogliano-Gagner-Cole as the new 2nd line please.

I’m still trying to figure out what was going on in the third and OT, but I think I foresee:

Penner – Horcoff – Hemsky
    Pouliot – Gagner – Cole
    Moreau – Cogliano – Reddox
    Strudwick – Brodziak – Stortini

HB, since it’s really difficult to properly track dmen on television, what did you make of Grebs tonight?

87. HBomb says:

Grebs was the usual….good sometimes, but with the occasional “HOLYFUCKWHATTHEHELLISHEFUCKINGDOING?” moment. There’s a clear drop-off from our top three d-men to 4/5/6 right now, I’ll say that much.

I’d like to see Smid moved up with Visnovsky and Staios/Grebeshkov playing the 5/6 minutes (Staios getting PK time, Grebs getting PP time).

88. Coach pb9617 says:

Wow, those lines really miss Fernie.

89. HBomb says:

Coach: one other thing, I saw a couple shifts of a Moreau-Brodziak-Cogliano trio in the 3rd. Take that for what you will, but I think Strudwick-Reddox-Stortini are the 4th line right now.

That’s an area for improvement, methinks. This team needs to replace Strudwick and Reddox and turn that 4th line into something half-decent.

90. Coach pb9617 says:

I noticed that too but I think it was because Nilsson was benched.

Mac was glowing when he talked about the 4th line in the post game. I don’t think it’s going to change.

91. HBomb says:

Well, then, they need to call Brule back up or something, because, simply put, Liam Reddox has no fucking business anywhere higher in the lineup than the 4th line.

Either that, or San Fernando needs to get healthy and quick. Then they could run 13-89-36 and 18-78-34 and actually have a top nine that makes six.

Shit, I think Nilsson’s finished as an Oiler at this point, and MacT pretty much torpedoed any trade value he may have had. Fuck I hate this team’s coach right now….

92. bookie says:

I kinda missed most of the game. I see a mix of total positives and negative so its hard to read. Maybe someone can catch me up..

Is it “Fire MacT-time” or “Bask in the Glory of all That is Oiler-Time”?

93. Coach pb9617 says:

I just read somewhere else (and now I can’t find it) that he’s in the gym again. Expected return is January 27th.

94. Doogie2K says:

Yup, Some Girls. Fantastic album.

‘Course, it’s a song about a gay prostitute, near as I can work out. Not sure what the connection is.

@HBomb: Oh wow. #4 was golden all around. Seriously, I do hope Selanne’s alright. That’s no way to end a career like his.

95. Traktor says:

2 steps forward 3 steps back.

Edmonton currently sits dead last in the Western Conference in goals scored.

Robert Nilsson is the most skilled forward on the team after Hemsky.

Craig MacTavish just told the media that he’s seen enough and had enough of Robert Nilsson.

Meanwhile Ethan Moreau takes 20 minutes in stick infractions a game and he’s still MacTavish’s go-to-guy.

Cheering for this team is like drinking 2 month old milk. I got a sour taste in my mouth.

96. HBomb says:

Traktor: for once I agree with you.

I do believe this coaching staff plays favorites. If they didn’t, Moreau would have been benched somewhere along the line for stupid penalties, or Staios would have been HS’d for substandard performance on the blueline.

Nilsson wasn’t great shakes last night and may be struggling, but the guy gets VERY little benefit of the doubt from this coaching staff (and, as I said before, I think the Daum-for-Bucky change doesn’t help him one bit).

When you’re a team strugging for offense, they should be trying to find a spot for Nilsson to contribute, rather than (likely) putting him in the pressbox on Monday night in favor of Liam Reddox.

I’m hoping this team maybe takes a different approach with the 4th line and pairs Nilsson and Schremp with one of Pouliot or Brodziak. We need to start getting more offense out of the 2nd-4th lines.

97. Bruce says:

What puzzles me is hearing MacT lamenting the general lack of offence on a club that just sent Rob Schremp down to the minors and currently employs a lumbering defensive defenceman on the fourth line.

98. Traktor says:

MacTavish said in the pregame presser “The cavalry is not coming. We need to stick together.” and then threw a team member under the bus only a few hours later.

Poor leadership.

99. Dennis says:

I also have a bit of a problem going public on a guy like 12 when Captain 18 is seemingly taking a dumb penalty at least every second game.

« Older Comments