Hawks at Oilers, G29/08-09

Until that Russian guy scores 700, Bobby Hull is my pick for the best LW, all-time. I’d have him lining up alongside 99 at center, Howe on RW, Orr and Lidstrom on D and Hasek in goal.

I don’t care if the rest of the roster is 15 Rob Schremp’s, my team wins the Stanley.

Chicago has more young talent than you can shake a stick at and everyone agrees the Hawks are headed down the right track.

The problem is that everyone said the same thing about the 1981 Minnesota North Stars, too. Just because an organization collects a bunch of talent doesn’t mean it’ll come together or that management will make the right decisions. Injuries, a nutty coach, an offer sheet, there are plenty of things that could go wrong in the Windy City.

Having said that I like their coach and this team appears to be loaded and ready for a long run. The blueline alone has all kinds of future and the forwards have terrific skill. They have no idea how good they are, which is one good thing for Oilers fans.

Edmonton has been playing well lately, getting positive results for over a week now. Talk of MacT getting shoved out have died down (for the time being) and the top line is scoring goals. Roloson is coated in Crazy Glue and the defense seems to have found its way.

It’s all just smoke and mirrors. The Oilers are relying heavily on a 50-year old goalie, a defense that needs Souray, Staios and Grebeshkov and 11 kids who don’t shave up front. PLUS, they sent Schremp out which means the secondary offense from the bottom of the order can’t elp the 3-4-5 guys.

The only question tonight is when do the Oilers bring in a reliever.

469 Responses to "Hawks at Oilers, G29/08-09"

« Older CommentsNewer Comments »
  1. Coach pb9617 says:

Chocolate eggnog-type beverage? Bring it! God how I wish I had eggnog right now. I probably wouldn’t be coherent if I did though.

1 cup chocolate milk
    about a shot of tequila
    1 teaspoon of sugar
    a couple some fresh cherries, or if you don’t have fresh cherries, maraschino cherries and a splash of dr. pepper

Crush the cherries and and sugar together and mix into a lumpy paste.

toss in the tequila and milk and shake until frothy.

2. doritogrande says:

words….they do not describe the actions I wish to portray here.

When ben eager scores…you cut your losses and start hunting.

3. HBomb says:

Wasn’t it 3-1 like less than ten minutes ago?

This shit cannot continue. These piss poor performances at home are 100% unacceptable. Whose fault is that?

4. bookie says:

Ok, let me start it. FIRE MACT…

Not really, but seriously, who is this bi-polar team? Why does Garon suck. Have they abandoned the PK without reasoner? Maybe MacT has just abandoned the PK without his favourite PK. Lets face it the PK is not really a talanted position to fill (relative to other). There are lots of pluggers that can do this.

I have never ever never ever followed a team that was so erratic as this. Seriously, all emotions aside – is this as bad as it has ever been for ups and downs?

5. doritogrande says:

coach:

Does the recipe double well?

6. Loxy says:

Sorry guys, I wrote my comment and then went back to work.

MC79 – It depends if we have another gondola tower collapse… or something.

Still haven’t bothered to turn on the game tonight. I’ll turn on my magic tomorrow.

7. Mustafa Hirji says:

On this Pete Peeters business, Garon seemed to play well under his coaching last year. And in the past we’ve had Salo, CuJo, and Ranford coached by him. And Roloson seems to play well under him.

I think this Pete Peeters business is all trumped up. Garon is returning to his 2006-2007 form, rather than playing at his 2005-2006 or 2007-2008 form. The guy has never been a consistent starter. There’s a reason he’s making barely over $1 million.

- Mustafa Hirji

8. slipper says:

The PK’s fault? Atleast until about 6 minutes ago.

This loosey goosey PK is the bane of this team.

9. bookie says:

Something is wrong with Garon’s coaching, HE has never played this bad in his career.

10. Jonathan says:

I thought it was bad when I showed up and it was 3-1. That’s not bad – this is bad.

11. Coach pb9617 says:

Steve Staios’

Can they HS him and Strudwick and call up Peckham?

12. PDO says:

Should I shotgun a beer?

I can’t drink fast enough for this.

13. Coach pb9617 says:

coach:

Does the recipe double well?

No one will ever drink one with me, so I have no idea.

14. Lord Bob says:

I say we just hope for 20-1.

Why the hell not, at this stage?

15. Sean M. says:

3 of those goals weren’t Garon’s fault, if that makes any difference.

16. bookie says:

Can anyone clarify. Did Garon have his own coach last year? Was that coach given the boot by the Oilers? I have heard something like that, but don’t know the details.

Goalie coaches sometimes mesh only with goalies of a certain style. So if Peters is trying to make Garon into Roli, that could be a problem.

17. HBomb says:

Should I shotgun a beer?

I can’t drink fast enough for this.

I’m seriously entertaining the possibility of Jack Daniels on the rocks right about now. Something that will cause a total blackout.

Corona tonight. Mid-week beer.

I absoluely will chip in to get Loxy CI next season. After all, next year we’ll be battling all winter for, um, 7th!!!!

19. doritogrande says:

Time to start studying methinks.

This must be a sign.

20. Jonathan says:

Guys, guys – clearly, the loss of Schremp has destroyed the confidence of this team.

21. Coach pb9617 says:

DG:

Do not drink these during or after a meal of any size. You will get the bloat and explode like a Monty Python skit.

Brodziak didn’t even try to win that faceoff. Are they throwing this?

22. HBomb says:

Well, that goal will NOT count. If it does, the refs are drinking something better than any of us.

23. Loxy says:

I hope the Oil come out SOOOO angry tomorrow night. SOOOO angry.

Take Linden’s night and shove it.

That’s Stan Ravandahl (the white haired guy) in the penalty box by the ref.

Used to manage CHED. Nice fellow.

25. HBomb says:

I’ll admit it, if I was at this game, I’d be the asshole trying to start the “MacT must Go” chant. Because yes, I do think we need a change at this point.

Too many no-shows from this team.

26. bookie says:

I dunno, if I were Mr Rexall sitting there watching this, I would have a hard time wondering WTF. I am pretty sure that he beleived he had a good team going into the season! There is only so long that someone like that waits when he sees this kind of crapola

27. Jonathan says:

Hey – Gob!

28. doritogrande says:

Better give Erik Cole a well deserved assist if this counts.

Get your fucking ass on the ice and block the shots. Get out the foamie pucks and put these sorry assclowns to work!

The Oilers have to do something about this penalty kill. It’s death.

30. HBomb says:

Ok….how the FUCK can they allow that?

Then again, it doesn’t matter. 6-1, 7-1….ball suckage either way.

31. PDO says:

Was it just me, or were the Oilers outchancing the Hawks decently at the point of the Horcoff goal?

If Garon could make a bloody save…

32. bookie says:

A true fan would be hoping for a big third period comeback!

I lost my true fanness about a decade ago…reality set in.

33. doritogrande says:

If they score another, LT get the kids out of the way, because some of use will wind up going tourrettes. I know for a fact that I’m personally holding back on some of the classier parts of my thesaurus.

34. Coach pb9617 says:

The Oilers have to do something about this penalty kill. It’s death.

“Something” is option Buchberger to Springfield.

And hope he doesn’t clear waivers.

35. mc79hockey says:

2005-06 was pretty bad.

Time for me to run up some billables. What a shit show – I was looking forward to this one all day.

I guess Earl Weaver was right.

36. Lord Bob says:

I see the review officials are taking the night off too.

I’m in for something tomorrow. Waive Stortini. Or Moreau. Or Staios. Bring back Mark Messier for one night only and have him take the ceremonial faceoff tomorrow just to piss off the Canucks fans. Anything.

37. bookie says:

There was no reason to disallow that, it was off of the arm and was not directed in.

38. doritogrande says:

Smid at LW!

Cole with Souray!

Roloson to 3-Line C!

Garon folding towels!

My kids are off to bed. Let the expletives fly!

40. kinger says:

Couple comments:

- The first two PP goals were 5-bell chances; both Campbell and Kane were given far too much time and space.

- I’m sure some of the other readers here have noticed the PKs propensity to fall into an ‘I’ formation. I wonder if that’s a response to the poor results or the cause.

- I’m not even upset with this game. I thought with the exception of the mistakes on the PK and the coverage on Fraser’s goal that we were playing a solid game. Sure, they definitely fell apart after the 5-1 goal, but that’s expected.

- Early on we had our chances (Nilsson, Horcoff down low) and just didn’t get the bounces.

- We’ll come out hard vs Van tomorrow and as long as we don’t give up an early goal it should be a competitive game.

41. HBomb says:

My kids are off to bed. Let the expletives fly!

Going nuclear tonight. Busting out THE biggie.

Ethan Moreau and Steve Staios are a couple of overrated, useless fucking cunts. There, I said it.

4.7 million dollars in cap hit for two more years after this one for a 5th defenseman and 4th line LW. GodfuckingdammitLoweyoustupidcocksuckingsonofabitch.

42. mc79hockey says:

That’s Stan Ravandahl (the white haired guy) in the penalty box by the ref.

You’re like a baseball colour guy filling space in a blowout LT. Topnotch.

I think that the former is a far more rational outlook than the latter.

43. quain says:

I have no idea why they don’t just go out there, take hooking penalties, and practice the penalty kill at this point. The game’s gone, might as well aim for 20-1 and learn something.

And then, after the game. Bag skate. And by bag skate, I mean everyone gets beaten with a bag of skates.

44. Jonathan says:

So what’s the MSM angle tomorrow? My bet –

“Oilers Can’t Win at Home” followed by Terry Jones repeating his “this team is gutless” rant from earlier this season.

45. Phil says:

Calling what this team does when they are shorthanded a “penalty kill” is a cruel joke at this point.

Shame on those home fans for booing. This is all their fault. Even when your team has given up before the end of the second, you cheer, no matter what. It’s a privilege to be able to spend $150/seat to watch a bad team, not a right. They should all be ashamed.

46. CrazyCoach says:

Hmm,

Let’s recap shall we. MacT starts Garon tonight instead of starting the hottest guy in Oil blue tonight, he goes with Garon. Have to save Roli for tomorrow night right? Funny how no one gets a night off in the playoffs and in order for this team to make the playoffs a little playoff intensity is needed, now.

Let’s look across the ice. A team starts with a lousy record, GM fired arguably one of their best and most popular players ever. Tough to do? You bet. Did it payoff? Those were some awfully nice goals out there so far.

Once again, its the most unoriginal and uncreative move to shake a team up and you take a gamble when you do it, but its time to roll the dice.

47. Lord Bob says:

I think it works. They get a penalty, then they get killed.

48. Oilmaniac says:

Lowetide said…
    This thread is going to get arrested for drunk typing.

8:33 PM, December 16, 2008

- if that wasnt true at 8:33, it is now… hehehe

49. HBomb says:

Nice. No going easy on them with the sack of doorknobs.

mc79: Frankly, I’m sick of this shit. This team has never managed to climb out of this 7th-10th place funk, the roster’s been turned over a couple times, and the results are the same.

MacT’s an NHL coach, but it’s time for a difference voice. That’s it. Nothing more, nothing less.

50. Jonathan says:

This is rock bottom. Nowhere to go but up.

51. Lord Bob says:

This is rock bottom. Nowhere to go but up.

DON’T SAY THAT!

52. Jonathan says:

The Flames win, the Canes win, the Stars win, and Jason Blake scores the SO winner for TO.

Barring injury, things can’t get worse.

53. doritogrande says:

“This thread is going to get arrested for drunk typing.”

I swear to drunk ossifer, I’m not god!

54. Phil says:

This is rock bottom. Nowhere to go but up.

Wow, how soon you forget spring of ’07.

55. Jonathan says:

Lord Bob:

Damn the hockey gods to hell. This team is better than this, and it’s got to show at some point.

56. kinger says:

I don’t think this is rock bottom at all.

We’ve played worse a number of games this year and been flattered by the results. I’d say the opposite is true tonight.

57. doritogrande says:

“Barring injury, things can’t get worse.”

I call a suspension. Possibly on Roloson for being an ornery fuck and tripping a referee.

58. Jonathan says:

Phil:

Nah, at that point, you don’t need to budget the time to watch the games.

59. mc79hockey says:

That 05-06 team was better than a 7-10 team, even though they finished eighth. They were fucking crippled all year.

The problem’s not the coach. Change for the sake of change is a waste of fucking time that leads you to avoid dealing with your real problems.

60. Dennis says:

Here’s an idea I just came up and I think it might work so let me know what you think.

Considering that our PK has sucked cock for the majority of the season, why don’t we just decide to not change a thing! What do you think about that?? We’ll keep using the same people and we won’t go back to using six forwards and pressuring down-ice. I mean, fuck that garbage, that stuff is the kind of thing that actually leads to killing off time. Also, we won’t bother to block shots anymore. That stuff is pure fuckery and it’s just for winners. We’ll have vets like 18 and 10 go out and stand up and screen our own guy but they won’t go down or anything like that.

I feel like it’s the early 00′s again and the PK is Tommy Salo. I basically got out ahead of that curve and railed and railed and nothing really changed and that’s how it is now. The Oilers have to know something is wrong but it’s the game guys and the same gameplan and we’re using all 12 forward spots for developing instead of picking up two vets for the 4th line who can also kill penalties.

It’s not 1998 and we’re a cap team and there isn’t anyone in the league who should be drilling us at Rexall like the Hawks are tonight.

61. doritogrande says:

Oh good, let’s see what the fuck Tortorella has to say. This should be great to hear.

AHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!

Direct quote: “I do not want to coach MacT’s team at this point”

62. kinger says:

An afterthought regarding my comment above:

I’m not saying we are playing well. We certainly lost it after the 5-1 goal.

63. slipper says:

This penalty kill is pretty gross. They should start there.

64. Jonathan says:

Good call by Tortorella – that sounds pretty smart actually.

65. Coach pb9617 says:

I just rewatched all of the PKs from tonight. The PK has no form or system. Staios is wandering all around the ice. I mean everywhere.

The forwards have no position to the lanes. They are just skating to the puck like mites.

Some bad juju there.

Hey bartender! Jobu needs a refill!

66. Lord Bob says:

So get rid of MacT and make it Tortorella’s team!

I mean, now. Like, I want him to take the call while he’s on air!

67. Fake Craig McTavish says:

That’s Stan Ravandahl (the white haired guy) in the penalty box by the ref.

Stan Ravendahl is the Stan Weir of Edmonton broadcasting.

68. Traktor says:

Somewhere Rob Schremp is smiling.

70. mc79hockey says:

The 05-06 team got smoked 7-1 by Colorado at the start of the year.

71. Dennis says:

I doubt there’s a team in the league good enough to make the playoffs if they had to carry the Oilers penalty kill.

Take the team with the best GD in the league and then pretend that they have to use Oilers players on their PK. Then crunch those numbers and tell me what they say.

The 51 line is a fucking joke and has been for most of it’s tenure but the Kids have done enough good things tonight that they should have a goal. Meanwhile, the 10 line has been getting killed all night and kept it up early in the 2nd by allowing the period’s first two chances. But, those guys have carried us big time so they’re allowed a night off or two.

72. Coach pb9617 says:

Yeah, neutral zone defense is gone from the PK. They sit back, wait for the puck to enter the zone and jump into their lack of system.

73. doritogrande says:

“When was the last time a relatively healthy Oiler team got ass-kicked like this?”

There have been healthy oiler team in the past? Fuck me.

74. Jonathan says:

Expectations for the third?

75. mc79hockey says:

Direct quote: “I do not want to coach MacT’s team at this point”

He better be careful. Barrie’s boys get a whiff of that, they’ll stop paying him and plead failure to mitigate.

76. mc79hockey says:

In a way, it’s like the perfect complement to their PP, which is somewhat mystified about how to enter the zone. Ying and Yang.

77. doritogrande says:

Y’know, this may be as good a time as any to bring it up…

Tavares, or Hedman?

78. Lord Bob says:

Expectations for the third?

8-7 Oilers win.

79. doritogrande says:

“Expectations for the third?”

The biggest macblender experiment we’ve ever, and I mean EVER seen.

80. mc79hockey says:

If this is what LT’s site has turned into, I can’t even imagine what’s going on at HF.

81. Jonathan says:

Thanks, Tyler. Both of those were gems :)

82. Jonathan says:

Also, point totals and tonight's effort be damned – Toews > Kane.

Reddox has played 8:25. Anyone remember anything about his TOI?

84. Oilmaniac says:

Well, so far my words have fallen on deaf ears metaphoricaly but thats understandable with the pain being dealt out…

Im finally jumping on the bandwagon for acquiring a third/fourth line C, for faceoffs and pk, thats been proposed by LT for so long.. I had wanted to see the kids develop into that role, but.. 29th on the pk is not a playoff team stat… The oil were 2nd on the pk the year they went to the finals, iirc (recall correctly).. tonight is just a great an example to pin up an arguement for such an acquisition… (ps- someone & cole for the help; cole is ufa, albeit low value, and do you want to resign him at years end)

85. quain says:

86. Jonathan says:

Powerplay! 7-2! 7-2!

87. doritogrande says:

Fun fact:

Patrick Kane tonight has equalled HALF of Sam Gagner’s season point total.

I don’t care if he’s performing well in other areas, that’s fucked up.

I’m out for the night. I’m going to watch friends play ultimate instead of this disgusting show.

88. Jonathan says:

Incidentally, for everyone advocating a personnel change – and I’m not against it – but this PK problem isn’t a personnel issue.

89. kinger says:

I just had a gander and it’s hilarious.

Top thread names:

“Draft?”
    “Chronic failure to provide a worthwhile home ice product.”
    “Poll: What’s Wrong With This Team?”
    “Poll: Which Goalie Should Be Traded?”
    “Getting Cole scoring, why isnt this important?”

90. Coach pb9617 says:

The 51 line is a fucking joke and has been for most of it’s tenure

51 is a joke tonight.

Without a veteran C, that line will continue to suck. Mac won’t trust Pouliot to run there, so they are a bit hosed.

Schremp and Staios for Reasoner

Schremp, Moreau and Staios for Lang

Schremp and Moreau for Zigomanis

91. J says:

mickey mouse team

92. doritogrande says:

Mother.Fucking.Shortie.

Kill the team.

I think they should let Jose Canseco pitch.

94. Oilmaniac says:

after that goal.. the tv goes off..
    ouch…

95. Coach pb9617 says:

Perhaps the power play could explain to the penalty kill what it is that is so confusing.

96. Jonathan says:

Nevermind.

97. doritogrande says:

Why are there still fans in attendance?

98. Jonathan says:

Roloson hasn’t been sharp in relief.

Not his fault, by any stretch, but he hasn’t.

99. kinger says:

Getting these bounces out of the way in a 7-1 game is fine with me.

100. J says:

It’s almost sad really

101. Coach pb9617 says:

Reddox has played 8:25. Anyone remember anything about his TOI?

Yes, rewatching the game in fast forward, I saw him fan on a shot.

Dammit, Smid is nicked. That kid has luck like Ray Fosse.

What are the odds of a pre-midnight MacT podcast?

103. Jonathan says:

If I had to bet on one Oiler blowing his top and killing somebody, I’d bet heavily on Souray.

Although, that Stortini hit on Eager was about as vicious as any I’ve seen him make.

104. doritogrande says:

“I think we’re all focusing on the wrong thing here. The real travesty is that I’m running out Duncan Keith and he only has one assist and a +1 tonight. You play half the game, Keith! Man up!”

There had better be lottery numbers in my email inbox by 9AM CST. Else there be hell to pay.

Ray Fosse. There’s a name. Pete Rose should have paid him some money for a shortened career. I think he was a Cleveland Indian that all-star game.

Tonight feels like the Cleveland Indians.

106. doritogrande says:

I think I would have personally taken a game misconduct by now. Get the fuck out of that locker room before MacT got in.

107. mc79hockey says:

“Well you see, you’re skating up the ice, you cross the blue line, the red line…and then all of the sudden you’re BACK AT THE FUCKING BLUE LINE!!! It’s only a moment, but it’s enough to throw you off.”

108. Loxy says:

51 is a joke tonight.

He’s upset that he lost in the Hot Off.

P.S. Faceoffs, PK, veteran centers… What happened to that Marty Reasoner guy?

109. Coach pb9617 says:

Roloson hasn’t been sharp in relief.

Not his fault, by any stretch, but he hasn’t.

I meant to say that. If anyone has this on DVR, rewatch him getting the call. He was pissed that he had to come in. Pissed.

110. kinger says:

Lol.

That’s a penalty?

111. Jonathan says:

DG: Horcoff is trying.

112. J says:

why am i laughing

113. kinger says:

10, Edmonton, Two minutes for pushing from the side.

114. doritogrande says:

mudcrutch:

I thought of Lewis Black when I read that last post. Thank you for providing me that one concession.

115. Jonathan says:

Tyler: Just keep those coming.

The score in this game has actually made me angrier than that little report that came out today. And that’s really something.

116. Coach pb9617 says:

“Uh huh. So if we were to stand at the red line for a bit and hold you up for saaaaaay seven seconds, you might forget which blue line you are heading towards?”

117. Lord Bob says:

Great kill, boys!

118. doritogrande says:

That was Pouliot backchecking.

What?

119. Jonathan says:

Cogliano on the PK with 78 – and all ti took was an 8-1 deficit combined with a Horcoff penalty.

120. Jonathan says:

That’s it Cole – alone in the slot, and fire it four feet wide.

Will this result be bad news for Vancouver?

122. HBomb says:

Cole-Horcoff-Hemsky back together here.

Did Penner get benched….and if so, why? He was playing well tonight, IMO.

If so, MacT picking a usual whipping boy, despite Moreau/Staios being pure shite from minute one tonight.

123. PunjabiOil says:

Kevin Lowe is really to blame for this mess.

Let a perfectly undervalued asset in Glencross and let him walk to a division rival. He then fails to replace two vital members of the penalty kill in any form or shape. He proceeds to give one way contracts to to guys like Roy and Jacques. He promotes good buddies like Buchberger and fires a more proven, established coach.
    Pouliot is also making too much money given he hasn’t established himself at all. Giving Stortini a 3 year contract was absurd.

Lowe has been a failure. I wish it weren’t that way, but it is. You really wish it’s Steve team from now on – how the fuck can he do worse?

Miss the playoffs this year and it’s 4 out of the past 5 years. 5 out of the past 7. Those are horrific results.

124. quain says:

How the hell did this team win that many Stanley Cups wearing their colours? They’re cursed. It’s like the ghost of Wayne Gretzky just rains down hellfire whenever they put them on, and he’s not even dead!

I’d really like to see Roloson join the rush at some point.

125. HBomb says:

I don’t get all the bitching about Pouliot. I don’t think he’s been that bad at all.

I’m more concerned about the “leadership core”…namely 18 and 24….

126. Coach pb9617 says:

Cogliano on the PK. So I just have to ask for something 29 times and it happens. Hm.

I want to see Rosario Dawson naked. In person. I want to see Rosario Dawson naked. In person. I want to see Rosario Dawson naked. In person. I want to see Rosario Dawson naked. In person. I want to see Rosario Dawson naked. In person. I want to see Rosario Dawson naked. In person. I want to see Rosario Dawson naked. In person. I want to see Rosario Dawson naked. In person. I want to see Rosario Dawson naked. In person. I want to see Rosario Dawson naked. In person. I want to see Rosario Dawson naked. In person. I want to see Rosario Dawson naked. In person. I want to see Rosario Dawson naked. In person. I want to see Rosario Dawson naked. In person. I want to see Rosario Dawson naked. In person. I want to see Rosario Dawson naked. In person. I want to see Rosario Dawson naked. In person. I want to see Rosario Dawson naked. In person. I want to see Rosario Dawson naked. In person. I want to see Rosario Dawson naked. In person. I want to see Rosario Dawson naked. In person. I want to see Rosario Dawson naked. In person. I want to see Rosario Dawson naked. In person. I want to see Rosario Dawson naked. In person. I want to see Rosario Dawson naked. In person. I want to see Rosario Dawson naked. In person. I want to see Rosario Dawson naked. In person. I want to see Rosario Dawson naked. In person. I want to see Rosario Dawson naked. In person.

127. Jonathan says:

Yep.

128. Jonathan says:

Coach: Rosario Dawson? Really? Of all the possible options, Rosario Dawson?

Team needs a shakeup. Deal a kid for a center who can PK. Does Toronto have anyone? Moore?

130. Coach pb9617 says:

Cole-Horcoff-Hemsky back together here.

Did Penner get benched….and if so, why? He was playing well tonight, IMO.

If that’s the case, I’m sending a box containing a giant turd to MacTavish’s office.

131. Jonathan says:

26-78-46.

Demotion for Cole, or promotions ofr the other two?

132. mc79hockey says:

Did Penner get benched….and if so, why? He was playing well tonight, IMO.

Because he’s in such poor shape that there’s a legitimate argument for resting him.

133. Coach pb9617 says:

Coach: Rosario Dawson? Really? Of all the possible options, Rosario Dawson?

If you aim a bit lower, the disappointment stings less.

Like the Oilers’ expectations.

134. Coach pb9617 says:

LT, from above:

Coach pb9617 said…

The 51 line is a fucking joke and has been for most of it’s tenure

51 is a joke tonight.

Schremp and Staios for Reasoner

Schremp, Moreau and Staios for Lang

Schremp and Moreau for Zigomanis

Quenneville would like to send out pluggers on the PP but apparently he doesn’t have any.

136. oilerdago says:

Punjabi – do you really think this team is going to make the playoffs? Or does anyone for that matter?

After 29 games, 3 of 4 offensive lines are atrocious. This team is giong NO FREAKING WHERE.

137. Jonathan says:

18-51-27. Fun lines tonight.

138. J says:

here we go coilers here we go

139. Coach pb9617 says:

This penalty kill is awesome.

140. quain says:

The Hawks are scoring above 60.00/60 on the powerplay at this point, right?

141. Jonathan says:

Craig Adams? Really?

POO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

143. J says:

wow how is anyone cheering?

144. mc79hockey says:

Apparently Sundin is about to make his decision. If Trevor Linden bursts into flames tomorrow night and then Sundin rises from the ashes, I’m gonna be really impressed.

145. Lord Bob says:

The comeback is on!

146. Jonathan says:

One thing in Craig Adams’ favour: if it had been Eric Staal, he would have celebrated.

And that’s Eric Staal with Eric Staal’s point totals. At least Adams had the grace not to salt the wound.

147. PunjabiOil says:

The guy simply generates negligible offense. I liked the way he’s hustling and showing better work ethic…but 6 points in 28 games for a guy who is 5 years removed from his draft class isn’t enough. Not to the point where he’s making 750K. Mark Parrish went for league minimum. Glencross went for 1.2M. All guys who provide more bank for the buck.
    When you look at it, 2002, 2003, 2004 (2 first round picks) – we’re looking at terrible drafting results.

Good news; Katz was in attendance tonight. Maybe he’ll do something about this nonsense.

148. J says:

only we can make a 4th line look brilliant

149. oilerdago says:

Pouliot scores. Who cares?

MC: Maybe like those pods in Spinal Tap?

151. Jonathan says:

PunjabiOil – nice timing. Say something mean about Penner now.

152. Jonathan says:

18-51-26 right now: at least 51 looks like he’s still trying.

153. Coach pb9617 says:

Will Mac finally give 78 a shot on the third line after Brodziak’s spew tonight?

154. quain says:

I want the Hawks to hit 10, just because I don’t think the feed here in Chicago has a graphic that can support the size of that integer. It might just roll over to 0 and we’ll win the game.

155. Ian says:

Insert “the future of this franchise” speech re: Pouliot here.

156. mc79hockey says:

LT: I think of it more as being Linden’s last selfless act of devotion to Vancouver. Sundin needs the death of a man to know that he is well and truly needed – no sacrifice is too great for Trevor.

I’m secretly rooting for double figures.

157. J says:

Ray Ferraro please coach the oil

158. Jonathan says:

Can we legitimately say that here’s no excuse for this team to lose to Vancouver tomorrow?

This team has something to prove, and they really ought to win tomorrow.

159. oilerdago says:

If this game does not reinforce the need for a big shake up nothing will. There are no more excuses that anyone can sell.

160. bookie says:

I don’t think that Lowe is to blame for this mess. People who suggest that we are sucking because we don’t have glencross and reasoner are missing something here. Most teams don’t really rely on their 3rd and 4th liners to win games.

I agree with the hockey pundets who reviewed this team at the beginning of the year and saw a great team. Many suggested that Edmonton and Chicago were the teams to watch.

I think that MacT can only coach an undertalented team of hard workers. He has been bailed out by Horpensky this year and last (who I truly believe coach themselves).

Really I don’t f-ing know, but I am telling you I would totally Take the chance on a new coach. Really, what is there to lose?

I think the Oilers coach has been stubborn on using some players in certain situations but his options are limited in some important areas.

Like PK.

Let me ask you something: if the Oilers had an average PK, say 15th in the NHL, where would they be in the standings?

162. Lord Bob says:

Well, I officially just broke a highball glass by knocking it off my desk. I love this team.

163. Coach pb9617 says:

You’re…

…angry at Pouliot?

164. bookie says:

I mean fuck, look at Cole, the guy came here and is totally useless. Did someone wave a magic wand.

Look at the record. the ‘hard workers’ thrive in Edmonton and then go on to other cities. Talent comes here and dies.

I know that I am not really making sense, but I am just fucking tired of 17 years of the same crap.

BUT this year, I dont even see the ‘little team that could’, but instead the “big team that couldn’t”

I seriously think that if they lose tomorrow somethign will happen. Maybe the can afford a trade, but if it doesnt make us a better team what good is it. Maybe Cole for a fantastic 3rd line center or something.

Fuck I am tired of this. Fire MacT. If that doesnt work, then fire everyone!

165. Coach pb9617 says:

Hm. Given recent history, I’d say 8th.

166. Chris says:

I know the fire MacT bandwagon sort of died down but can we start a “Fire everybody but Charlie Huddy and the scouting staff they seem pretty competent” bandwagon?

167. mc79hockey says:

I agree with all of the people who thought that this was a mediocre-ish team at the start of the year.

168. Bruce says:

Fire the icemaker.

I don’t have the stats, but I believe that Quennville’s teams have always owned MacT’s teams, whether in Colorado, St. Louis, or Chicago.

The Oilers have lost 4 or 5 games this year because of the PK alone. All the other issues would be manageable if the PK were average.

Penalty-killing is coaching and hard work.

170. Coach pb9617 says:

Ehhh? You’re talking kooky now.

171. oilerdago says:

Bad PK was not the only reason this team got it’s head handed to it. Take those goals out and they were still beaten bad.

That’s just one more problem on a team that is full of them.

172. kinger says:

Ice the Fireman!

173. B says:

“Talent comes here and dies”

Actually Dmen do fine, its the forwards who enter the Black Hole when they arrive here.

Its an actual trend too; there’s gotta be something to this.

174. Coach pb9617 says:

Penalty-killing is coaching and hard work.

I’m watching them again and laughing.

Look at Staios. He’s at the top of the circle. What the hell is Horcoff doing there?!

I’m pretty sure that Grebs stashed his acid in the team coffee urn today.

175. Traktor says:

I bet the first thing our new coach does is strip Moreau of the captaincy. Too long have plugs been the face of the Edmonton Oilers.

176. Fake Craig McTavish says:

Lowetide said…
    POO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Exactly.

177. Traktor says:

Punjabi: Go back to HF boards you HF Clown.

178. Jonathan says:

Petr Nedved’s first run here was pretty good. Anson Carter and Mike Comrie weren’t bad either, for who they were.

179. Jonathan says:

Personally, though, I blame Craig MacTavish for destroying Jochen Hecht. Bastard.

I think the Oilers can go with Roloson and Deslauriers the rest of the year.

Garon had a stretch of 30 games last year when he was hot. He is basically 30 years old, on his third team. You can’t blame the goalie coach.

Roloson is the #1, and Deslauriers gets put to the test as to whether he is a competent backup.

181. Lord Bob says:

I can’t wait for MacT’s podcast.

183. Jonathan says:

It begins.

184. kinger says:

Besides Erik Cole, what offensive talents have come to Edmonton and struggled?

And don’t you dare say Joffrey Lupul.

185. Scott says:

San Jose – 161 penalties at 73.0% instead of 85.1% is an extra 17 goals against.

Boston – 158 at 73.0% instead of 85.1% is an extra 15 goals against.

Detroit – 150 at 73.0% instead of 79.8% is an extra 10 goals against.

So, the penalty killing is bad and the % is down further after tonight, but it’s still just one factor. All of those teams would still be strong playoff teams based on goal differential.

186. J says:

If Mrs.Wayner never came along we would have 5 more cups and a far better gm

187. Chris says:

Is Cliff Fletcher available now that Burke’s taken over in Toronto?

188. kinger says:

MacT Live!!!

189. Jonathan says:

At least, I think the PC is starting.

190. Jonathan says:

Anyone else getting funny audio? Oh, there it is, all better.

191. PDO says:

Maybe it is the copious amount of Pilsner cans lying around…

But I at least agree with the last part. I would rather just deal Moreau and slap the C on Hemsky though.

//Garon’s never had a bad professional season until this one. The guy’s got more pedigree than Dwayne Roloson did at thirty years old. He’s a goalie. Goalies are weird developmentally.//

Garon’s been given the #1 job in his career twice, in LA and Edmonton, and blown it. Roloson has had one good playoff run, and one great one.

Neither is the future. Roloson has been playing well, and the Oilers have to find out whether Deslauriers is good enough to be a backup. The decision has been made on the ice for this season. The GM better announce it soon.

193. Schitzo says:

So Schitzo is a UofAer? Fuck, I didn’t even know that they had law schools on the prairies, thought that everything was settled by duelling.

Not everything, sometimes we play poker for oil rights.

So I bailed after it ended up 6-1. I take it that was the right choice?

194. HBomb says:

PDO: If they were picking the next captain, I’d hope it was Horcoff.

195. Lord Bob says:

And don’t you dare say Joffrey Lupul.

You mean the guy who has never recorded fewer goals or points in a season than he did with Edmonton? That guy?

I know we all hate Joffrey Lupul because he’s not Chris Pronger, but it’s hard to exclude him when he pretty clearly suffered by virtue of being an Oiler.

196. Jonathan says:

Joffrey Lupul’s useless, Lord Bob.

It isn’t that he’s not Pronger. He’s not even Marty Reasoner.

197. HBomb says:

I wouldn’t want Lupul back, but when even he goes elsewhere and produces…..that says something.

What, I’m not quite sure, but it’s something….

198. PDO says:

H:

This is coming from the biggest #10 booster on the planet…

I’m fine with either. Hemsky is all grown up though…

199. Traktor says:

MacT sounding like he knows the team isn’t playing for him.

« Older CommentsNewer Comments »