Hawks at Oilers, G29/08-09

Until that Russian guy scores 700, Bobby Hull is my pick for the best LW, all-time. I’d have him lining up alongside 99 at center, Howe on RW, Orr and Lidstrom on D and Hasek in goal.

I don’t care if the rest of the roster is 15 Rob Schremp’s, my team wins the Stanley.

Chicago has more young talent than you can shake a stick at and everyone agrees the Hawks are headed down the right track.

The problem is that everyone said the same thing about the 1981 Minnesota North Stars, too. Just because an organization collects a bunch of talent doesn’t mean it’ll come together or that management will make the right decisions. Injuries, a nutty coach, an offer sheet, there are plenty of things that could go wrong in the Windy City.

Having said that I like their coach and this team appears to be loaded and ready for a long run. The blueline alone has all kinds of future and the forwards have terrific skill. They have no idea how good they are, which is one good thing for Oilers fans.

Edmonton has been playing well lately, getting positive results for over a week now. Talk of MacT getting shoved out have died down (for the time being) and the top line is scoring goals. Roloson is coated in Crazy Glue and the defense seems to have found its way.

It’s all just smoke and mirrors. The Oilers are relying heavily on a 50-year old goalie, a defense that needs Souray, Staios and Grebeshkov and 11 kids who don’t shave up front. PLUS, they sent Schremp out which means the secondary offense from the bottom of the order can’t elp the 3-4-5 guys.

The only question tonight is when do the Oilers bring in a reliever.

469 Responses to "Hawks at Oilers, G29/08-09"

« Older Comments
  1. mc79hockey says:

Lupul has the mental toughness of Sylvia Plath.

(Yes, that’s right: you can make a suicide reference that indicates a touch of refinement.)

2. Lord Bob says:

Joffrey Lupul’s useless, Lord Bob.

Of course he is, but I’ve been drinking. The point is, he seems to have been suspiciously more useless here than he has been anywhere else, where he’s at least been Robert Nilsson.

3. kinger says:

- Just the inability to kill a penalty.

- Lot of bizarre goals and bounces.

- Not innocent in them all but it was a wild game

- Thankfully we play tomorrow night.

- Running out of position on the PK.

- Dangerous PP, got some breaks in the front.

- Crazy decisions when the game got out of hand.

- Hopefully with a good effort tomorrow we can put it behind us.

Q: As a coach do you want to change your system

- You’re chasing, trying new things, run out of position then you get tight. They get the easy shots to the net and they found the pucks tonight. We were on a delayed reaction on finding pucks in front of the net.

Q: Roli letting in a few goals kind of showed it wasn’t the goaltending.

- I never thought it was a goaltending issue, the screens were incredible. At least two or three Matty didn’t see them. He just came unglued like the rest of us. It wasn’t Matty.

Solid PC by MacT. Talked about the PK being the culprit (obvious but maybe they’ll change something, especially the screens by our own guys) and the fact that they can get this behind them with the quick turnaround tomorrow night.

Threw no one under the bus that I heard. Good on ya, Mac.

5. Scott says:

Incidentally, league average penalty killing (I’m estimating it at 81.5) would save them about 14 goals coming into tonight. That would mean playoffs for sure and a much better shot at the division. I’d say it would put them about second in the division and sixth in the conference :)

6. kinger says:

System question above Re: the PK.

7. Lord Bob says:

It’s like you -want- me to start posting “fire MacTavish now!” in every gameday thread instead of just the ones we lose in.

Admittedly, that’s the majority, but still.

8. HBomb says:

Ok, silver lining here. Loss wakes up the Oilers and they play well and beat Vancouver and Anaheim.

If someone told me at the beginning of this week that the Oilers would win 2 out of 3 and the loss would be ugly but against Chicago…I’d take it.

So let’s see how it plays out.

9. Jonathan says:

I’m curious: do you guys feel the PK is a personnel issue, or a coaching issue?

I’m going with coaching all the way.

10. slipper says:

Rosario Dawson has a fierce rack.

11. kinger says:

Jonathan:

That’s easy, it’s both.

12. oilerdago says:

Hey, it’s more than the PK on this team. They are not getting consistent scoring from any forward outside the top line (save Cogs).

The second line is not clicking, Cole is not doing jack for the money and the 4th line (except when they played Vancouver Sat) has been subpar at best.

And Staios can’t bring consistently every night.

13. Chris says:

How is she on the PK?

15. Traktor says:

“Oh good. You fucking people were pretty quiet when they started winning games after the last time the quit on him.”

You know you have a special trooper when he comes to the aid of the coach after a 9-2 shellacking.

16. quain says:

MacT sounded like he really wanted to see Charlie Huddy dressed up like an Arby’s waitress, serving him in bed.

But that was just my viewing of the presser, I think it depends on what each person really, deeply in his heart wants to see.

17. mc79hockey says:

Look out LT – the lawyers have found this place. My beer league team was once made up of actors, they brought a lawyer in, within a few years, she was all lawyers.

18. Dennis says:

I didn’t watch it but what did he say?

Scott: thanks for that!

MC: Well we have been dumbing it down lately. :-)

20. bookie says:

Given that you just called me “you fucking people”, I have no problem saying Fuck you too buddy. I have followed this team pretty faithfully through every year its been in the league. I have accepted untalented teams because we could not afford better. I have supported MacT for his whole time as a coach until this year.

Some of you act like changing a coach is like tearing a mother from her children in a refugee camp.. In case you haven’t noticed, it happens all of the time. It is a legitimate move in pro sports and sometimes has an impact.

It may be true that teams seldom become amazing with a coach change, but its also true that they seldom crash.

I love MacT, but I just think that he has lost the team, he has lost personal focus, and that this team is not the type of team that works for him.

Oh yeah, in case I forgot – Fuck you too!

Dennis: Kinger did a nice job about 10 posts up in describing MacT’s comments.

22. Dennis says:

It sorta got lost here earlier but Roli said post-HNIC that the team doesn’t block enough shots anymore.

So, does someone in the media want to tackle that? You had two different occasions tonight where 10 and 18 went out and ended up screening their own netminder instead of going down to block a shot. Horc once took one in the fucking head in Det and now he’s all of a sudden a pussy?

The coaches MUST have given up on the idea of blocking shots.

23. bookie says:

Pardon my outburst tonight, I promise to return to level headedness tomorrow, but 19 years of frustration are seeping out tonight.

24. Traktor says:

MacT said “it was like they were trying to make it worse”

What can that mean?

25. Dennis says:

Also, we don’t used six guys anymore and we don’t give two fucks about pressuring down-ice.

Also, the Oilers didn’t get the memo about O zone faceoffs starting every PP and so they thought 51 would be fine taking those big draws.

Perhaps just about all of this is coaching.

I am shocked and sickened by the lack of urgency regarding the PK. Just go scour the fucking minors and get two or three grunts to do the dirty work.

26. Coach pb9617 says:

Lupul has the mental toughness of Sylvia Plath.

I love this place.

27. slipper says:

How is she on the PK?

She closes in fast on the point man and when she goes to block a shot she doesn’t emulate a hooded Iraqi POW standing on a stool with car batteries connected to his nuts in Abu Ghraib prison.

Traktor: People say things like “it was like they were trying to make it worse” to explain a situation in which people who are trying end up looking like they’re playing giveaway.

It usually happens when they’re trying to do too much which is the case here.

It’s not a big deal, really. It’s not code for “the team has given up on me.”

I will say this team does look like a coach killer, though.

29. kinger says:

Just out of curiosity Traktor, do you actually watch the games or just analyze them based on the results?

With the exception of the PK (where arguably the personnel was at fault on the first two goals), which part of tonight’s loss would you put on the coach? The team came out well and still had their legs right up until CHI opened up a 4 goal lead. Did you see the chances we had early on (puck hopping over Nilsson’s stick and Horcoff missing a wide open cage)? Do you not think if we had converted on one of those chances that the final score would have been drastically different?

They gave up at 5-1 and started playing stupid. If that’s a coaching issue then let’s get on with the firing.

I was harping on MacT earlier in the year when he was running 34 at C and Penner as the #3 RW. I still think it was silly of him to throw away so many games experimenting with the lines. However, since he’s found a winning combination with the lines I’ve been very happy with the on ice product. Sure, we are still inconsistent, but we are also young. It seems to me that youth and inconsistency go hand in hand in professional sports, and the Oiler’s are no exception.

They could easily play a worse first 30 minutes against Van and come out with the victory. That says a lot about tonight’s game.

30. slipper says:

Do we have to start doling out hockey’s future suspensions?

31. bookie says:

Exactly, PK guys are not a difficult find.

32. Lord Bob says:

Nobody said “sloppy seconds”, so I don’t think suspensions are required yet.

33. Coach pb9617 says:

Rosario Dawson has a fierce rack.

Let’s all watch the bounce

bounce bounce bounce

34. erasmus says:

Schitzo: what final? I still have evidence…..100%.

35. Coach pb9617 says:

The second line is not clicking,

And yet Gagner stays there :)

Gagner down to 1.9%

Cole down to 5.3%

36. bookie says:

Do we have to start doling out hockey’s future suspensions?

I just want to say that I would like to apologize to the league for my actions, I didn’t mean to say that MC79 was Sean Avery’s Sloppy Seconds. I think it came out wrong. I really meant it as a compliment. I was just trying to add a little excitement to the board…

37. Traktor says:

Marc Pouliot has more goals than Gagner and Cole combined and the lack of Marty Reasoner is the problem. Not a chance.

Bigger issues.

Coaching issues.

Gagner on PK.

Penner on PK.

Round holes are being double penetrated by square pegs.

38. slipper says:

Last time I checked Lupul was scoring about 1.30 even strength points per sixty and has been on the ice for 13 even strength GF and 22 even strength GA (-9), while playing bottom sixer opponents.

So Lupul still sucks. What was the next argument?

39. oilerdago says:

Coach – move Cole to the second line, move Gagner to HS and bring Brule back to give them a little jam.

Bench Stortini too while you’re at it.

40. Coach pb9617 says:

Schremp and Staios for Reasoner

Schremp, Moreau and Staios for Lang

Schremp and Moreau for Zigomanis

41. mc79hockey says:

Schitzo: what final? I still have evidence…..100%.

That’s four Lain – FOUR! (Admittedly, these people are just law students, not even articling students, let alone lawyers but my goodness – it’s an infestation.)

Bookie – no worries.

42. Bruce says:

Well that was fun.

I’m not sure what’s worse, seeing the Hawks score in the first 8 seconds of a powerplay (twice) or scoring in the last 15 seconds of a powerplay (also twice) after owning the puck in our end for a minute and three quarters.

If the decision is to rest your 39-year-old goalie to play a divisional rival in another city tomorrow night, AND you have a three-goalie system, then why the Fuck is he dressed as the backup? Wound up playing half the game and got lit up.

At one point in the third period, Zack Stortini had played less than 5 minutes and had half of the Oilers’ hits. By night’s end he had 3/8 of them, 2 more than any other Oiler despite having by far the least TOI on the team. Not much in the way of physical intensity from the Oil, either when the game was on the line or in pissed-off-ed-ness after it wasn’t.

Stortini, Reddox, and Pouliot wound up +1. Chicago’s fourth line may have lit us up, but they didn’t light up our fourth line.

Ladi Smid was on the ice for his second ESGA of the season. The first was set up buy the linesman in Colorado, tonight’s was a gloved-in goal that was muffed by the refs and the VGJ. Just think if Smid had a little luck going his way, his Sv% ON would be 1.000.

That was a joke. Tonight, so were the Oilers.

43. Lord Bob says:

1.9% shooting is just unconsciously unlucky, though. If you gave me one hundred shots on an NHL goaltender, I would score more than twice.

I’m not worried about Gagner and I don’t care what any of you say. He, Cogliano, and Pouliot are just about the only ones I’m not worried about.

44. kinger says:

Bench Stortini too while you’re at it.

Stortini played well. A couple good hits, a solid fight, and +1 in 8:40 TOI.

Beat you to it Bruce.

45. kinger says:

Beat you to it Bruce.

Damn, I spoke too soon.

46. Lord Bob says:

Actually, here’s an idea. Mathieu Garon’s about to have some free time, right? Let’s get him out into a little municipal rink and line up people from the Oilogosphere to take shots on him. Each of us gets five shots to a total of one hundred. However many goals we score is the baseline for “if your shooting percentage is below this you must have crapped on the hockey gods’ lawn or something.”

47. Traktor says:

For a genius he makes elementary mistakes routinely.

Good enough to win a golf major but too stupid to sign his scorecard.

48. Chris says:

I’m afraid I am among our dreaded lot mudcrutch.

49. Coach pb9617 says:

Bench Stortini too while you’re at it.

Not Brule – he’s too close to losing waivers.

How much longer is Fernando out?

Zigomanis is 62% on the dot.
    Reasoner is 50% on the dot.

Zigomanis is 5.71 GA/60 SH
    Reasoner is 7.9 GA/60 SH

34 – Zigokic – Cole

huh?

huh?

50. Bruce says:

bring Brule back to give them a little jam.
    Bench Stortini too while you’re at it.

Stortini was one of the few Oilers who did show any jam. I can think of a few other guys I’d bench first based on tonight’s “performance”.

Sorry Kinger, even when I sit out a thread I got dibs on saying posltive things about Zack.

51. Scott says:

I know that there has been a lot of drum beating regarding how badly Penner and Gagner have been performing on the PK, but I really don’t think that Gagner has been poor in that area. At least by the scoring chance numbers he’s done quite well. The real problem is that Staios and Horcoff have been poor. They eat up tons of the minutes and just haven’t been very effective this year.

In terms of the impact a player might have on goal differential, Marty Reasoner could be a big one. And he comes cheap. That’s the thing Traktor. I don’t think people want Reasoner exactly, just someone like Reasoner who can take draws and kill penalties. It would make a real difference and it comes cheap.

People are upset at balking on Glencross at 1.2 and given his results this year I can understand it, but it’s not like the guy had a long track record of success and the deal was a real gamble if he wanted a three year term. Reasoner on a one-year deal at about a million? To me, that’s the less excusable leave because they knew they needed that type of player and they already had a good one.

52. Coach pb9617 says:

Even if he were hitting at a 10% clip, that’s still only 5 goals. He’s not only unlucky, he’s not shooting nearly enough.

53. Rod says:

lowetide said (re: MacT post-game):
    Threw no one under the bus that I heard.

Of course not. That would have meant laying one on Moreau for IMAXing Garon. And here I thought 18 was on the PK because he’ll drop down to block a few. Maybe even inspire the team with his effort. Instead, biggest screen possible. Nice. Souray did another fine IMAX impression on the first goal…but at least he’s been contributing lately. Moreau? Definite rough patch. Still 0% chance MacT utters a scintilla of negative press about 18.

54. Coach pb9617 says:

Given the traditions of hockey, it’s damned near impossible to say bad things about your captain.

I do think that will change as more and more teams award C’s to 22 year olds.

55. Traktor says:

Scott: The reward far outweighs the risk so it wouldn’t be the worst thing in the world. Personally I can’t see how one player could make such a difference in a pk that’s always be a teams pillar.

I think the problem might be Bucky influence on the system.

56. Fake Craig McTavish says:

Traktor said…
    ‘If we have 3 goalies why would we dress Roli in a backup role if he was scheduled to start tomorrow night?

For a genius he makes elementary mistakes routinely.

Good enough to win a golf major but too stupid to sign his scorecard.’

For someone who bet against the Hawks making the playoffs, that’s pretty clever.

57. bookie says:

“I think it ridiculous to get rid of the coach. How can you blame the coach when its the players on the ice?”

Chicago Blackhawks fan the week that they fired Savard.

See, firing your coach sometimes does good things….

58. Doogie2K says:

I have one question for the Edmonton Oilers. Just one.

Now will you motherfuckers start blocking shots?

Oh, and other than that last goal, I don’t blame Garon for jack; why everyone is on his ass because he doesn’t have X-ray vision is quite beyond me. Maybe if his players got over their bleeding vaginas and played like men we wouldn’t be having this conversation.

If anyone has this on DVR, rewatch him getting the call. He was pissed that he had to come in. Pissed.

Funny, I turned it off at 5-1, so that’s probably queued up right now. That could be good for a laugh.

@JW: You got a problem with Rosario Dawson? Dude.

@LT: Since the NHL was kind enough to already update us on the Oilers’ PK, they are now at 73.0% (92/126), ahead of only Sucklanta. The 15th-place team, Montreal, is at 81.4%. In order to beat that, the Oilers would need to give up at least 11 fewer PPGA (103/126 = 81.7%, good enough to beat Anaheim for 14th).

So, does someone in the media want to tackle that?

I asked Brownlee a week ago, but I don’t recall there being an answer.

59. mc79hockey says:

See, firing your coach sometimes does good things….

Correlation does not equal causation. I could go outside and kill a drifter right now and it will be warmer in July than it is now; I wouldn’t assume that there’s any connection between the two.

60. jon k says:

“Nice another graduate of the UofA legal mill. I always thought nothing said “we care about our students” like every second and third year elective being schedualed for once a week at 6:30 in the evening. 3 hour lectures so maximize student retension and engagement.”

I prefer the 3 hour blocks. None of this one or two hour breaks twice a day.

61. Fake Craig McTavish says:

“PDO said…
    What sucks more…

Our PK, Garon, or Pamela Anderson on home video?”

One more option. Horcoff on the PK. Winnaaaa!

62. mc79hockey says:

Wait are you the fifth lawyer in our little cabal jon?

63. Chris says:

In fairness I’ve been reading this blog for years now :)

64. Kyle says:

Schitzo, why are you finishing halfway through the year, and were you there for the show put on at Hudsons just before closing last night?

65. hunter1909 says:

Sorry to mention the score of the game…

9-2

LOL

So Ironic. Real Oiler fan since I can remember and I might as well be a troll.

66. Schitzo says:

Finishing for the semester, just very enthusiastic about it :)

Finished off with Land Titles with Ziff. Going into an exam knowing a 35% will be in the B+ range is a funny feeling.

And no, I bailed from the game at 6-1 and went home. I figured I’d get more benefit from an extra hour of sleep than watching the shellacking.

67. kanadienkyle says:

Chiming in as the 6th (?) lawyer here (MN Bar), I had no idea this place was infested.

Schitzo, I am also from the Prairies and my great-grandpa lost the mineral rights to our farm in a poker game.

68. Lord Bob says:

I hereby nominate “killing the drifter” as a euphamism for firing a coach.

69. Kyle says:

Finishing for the semester, just very enthusiastic about it :)

Sorry, I meant the Monday night, a buddy of one of the third year guys (no names to protect the innocent) ran outside streaking. He was a beauty. I think the waitress that talked him into it was pretty impressed.

« Older Comments