My wife’s family lives in Medicine Hat so I’ve been driving down there three or four times a year for more than 25 years. It’s a nice little city, I always thought it would be a good place to raise a family and certainly a good place for a hockey fan.
The Tigers rule the city and surrounding area. When they’re Memorial Cup worthy there’s a measurable buzz from early spring right through the WHL playoffs and into the Memorial Cup tournament.
Trevor Linden is Medicine Hat’s golden boy. Talk to a Medicine Hat native about Linden and you get the kind of respect and tone that people use only when speaking of greatness. He’s the town DiMaggio.
Since I’ve been to Medicine Hat over 100 times let me put all the Linden information to good use. Here’s a few things you’re not likely to read many places:
- The family name was originally “Van der Linden.”
- His brother Jamie played 4 NHL games.
- The trade that sent Linden back to Vancouver (from Washington) included the Canucks 3rd rd pick going the other way. That third round pick eventually made its way to Edmonton and was used on Zack Stortini.
- He was involved in some of the biggest trades of his era, including the monster that sent him to the Islanders for Todd Bertuzzi, Bryan McCabe and the draft pick that turned into Jarkko Ruutu.
- He was born the day Apollo 13 launched.
- He was born the day after the Beatles broke up.
The Oilers stepped into the elevator shaft last night and awoke this morning looking like Ray Milland in The Lost Weekend. They’ll be Psycho Killer’s tonight. Book it.