Oilers at Canucks, G30/08-09

My wife’s family lives in Medicine Hat so I’ve been driving down there three or four times a year for more than 25 years. It’s a nice little city, I always thought it would be a good place to raise a family and certainly a good place for a hockey fan.

The Tigers rule the city and surrounding area. When they’re Memorial Cup worthy there’s a measurable buzz from early spring right through the WHL playoffs and into the Memorial Cup tournament.

Trevor Linden is Medicine Hat’s golden boy. Talk to a Medicine Hat native about Linden and you get the kind of respect and tone that people use only when speaking of greatness. He’s the town DiMaggio.

Since I’ve been to Medicine Hat over 100 times let me put all the Linden information to good use. Here’s a few things you’re not likely to read many places:

• The family name was originally “Van der Linden.”
  • His brother Jamie played 4 NHL games.
  • The trade that sent Linden back to Vancouver (from Washington) included the Canucks 3rd rd pick going the other way. That third round pick eventually made its way to Edmonton and was used on Zack Stortini.
  • He was involved in some of the biggest trades of his era, including the monster that sent him to the Islanders for Todd Bertuzzi, Bryan McCabe and the draft pick that turned into Jarkko Ruutu.
  • He was born the day Apollo 13 launched.
  • He was born the day after the Beatles broke up.

The Oilers stepped into the elevator shaft last night and awoke this morning looking like Ray Milland in The Lost Weekend. They’ll be Psycho Killer’s tonight. Book it.

385 Responses to "Oilers at Canucks, G30/08-09"

« Older Comments
  1. bookie says:

You can trace Steve Smith through Dave Manson, Mats Lindgren, Boris Mironov, Jason Bonsignore, Kirk Maltby, Dan McGillis, Dan Cleary, Ethan Moreau, Tommy Salo, Janne Niinimaa, Tom Gilbert, Raffi Torres, Roman Hamrlik, Eric Brewer, Chris Pronger, the Pronger Five Assets, Joni Pitkanen and Erik Cole. It’s one of my favourite things about hte Oilers. When Brule was dressing, you could trace 20% of the roster on a given night right back to him. That’s pretty cool.

See, that’s awesome, imagine the possibilities.

2. jon k says:

Kyle: I’m having a shindig at my place.

Are you guys going anywhere other than the hudsons on campus?

We’re likely just going to get some drinks in at my place then hop over to whyte so feel free to come by with any other people. I always have a decent supply of hard stuff so if you’re feeling cheap you know where to come.

3. bookie says:

Is there something sad about drinking alone on a Wed night while blogging with other people doing the same? jus askin?

4. Oilmaniac says:

quain,
    It was your consecutive scoffing at my post and your smug attitude in doing so.. oh, without adding anything, no surprise there tho..

5. mc79hockey says:

Are people already complaining about the Dys broadcast crew? This is the first EDM-VAN game I’ve seen this year and I’d forgotten how much I hate those guys.

6. Kyle says:

Kyle: I’m having a shindig at my place.

Are you guys going anywhere other than the hudsons on campus?

Ha ha ha, thanks buddy. I am cheap and poor so I’ll probably have to check in to see what’s happening. I imagine we’ll hit somewhere besides Hudson’s, we are after all arriving at three…

7. bookie says:

I wonder if the Stars will retire Modano’s number on a night that the Oilers are visiting…that would hurt!

I feel like this game will be a blowout but don’t know whose going to do the blowing.

9. mc79hockey says:

Somewhere, Mike Winters died a little inside and he doesn’t even know why.

10. mc79hockey says:

Anyone know if this game is starting anytime soon? Poor Dennis.

11. Schitzo says:

My only comment regarding a new arena – with the benefit of hindsight, can anyone say that the use of public funds to build Commonwealth was a bad investment?

I mean, at that time Clarke staduim was “good enough”.

MC: Right after they retire Dennis Kearns skates.

13. PDO says:

Roloson has already played better tonight than Garon did last night.

14. Schitzo says:

Roloson has already played better tonight than Roloson did last night

15. Coach pb9617 says:

Anyone have word of a Gilbert injury?

A few times last game and a few times already he’s made some strange movements and plays.

16. bookie says:

I mean, at that time Clarke staduim was “good enough”

Exactly, every generation loves to use things built by the last one and complains about the ‘pricetag’ of new things.

Imagine our city with an ugly Legislature building, no university, Clark stadium, no big investment on Whyte ave in the 1980′s, no big investment in the downtown core, our old crappy airport..

Cheep thinking is the difference between the legislature building of 1905 and the Leg annex of 1951.

There are cities like that, and they suck, but the residents of those cities pay 12.2% lower taxes so they have gotten to drink more beer and buy bigger SUV’s Yay….

17. danny says:

A loss tonight via special teams might be enough to prove MacTs point and get Tamblowe talking trades for that centreman we direly need.

18. Coach pb9617 says:

Nice hit.

Where’s Bruce?

19. danny says:

Storts should draw an instigator there

20. oilerdago says:

I take back all the bad things I’ve said about Stortini after that hit. Beautiful

21. quain says:

Okay, that argument is dull.

That was a solid hit by Stortini, I would’ve liked to see him actually get a chance to square off with Brown though.

I don’t think I dig the whole ‘avenge every clean hit on a random guy’ trend. O’Brien is a big boy, he can take a hit, you don’t really need to fight the guy who tagged him. Tagging a Sedin like that, I can see a fight happening.

22. CM says:

I don’t hate stortini as a 4th line energy forward but I just wish he would stop embarrassing himself and would either learn how to fight or stop dropping the gloves…it literally hurts watching him hug and flop all over the ice…I wish he would at least look at his opponent while hes fighting him

23. bookie says:

Yeah, I agree, clean hits should be answered by clean hits – take a number…not a penalty

24. Schitzo says:

25. CM says:

“CM – I don’t think that’s really fair tonight, he got jumped pretty good before he got his gloves off.”

I wasn’t just talking about tonight…his fight last night was horrible…against hordichuk on saturday he was looking the other way the whole time and that was one of his better efforts…

He only has two moves…the bear hug and the look behind me and throw a couple blind punches…its like his thought process consists of “hopefully he breaks his hand on the back of my head and I can hug him to the ground”

26. Coach pb9617 says:

That was nifty – Souray’s big shot was set up at the previous whistle. After Penner walked out in front, during the stoppage, Souray told him he was wide open back door there.

Same thing happens, this time Penner goes to him for the open shot.

Game within the game!

27. jon k says:

Those were some interestin dramatics from Mitchell.

28. Kyle says:

Classic D there by Souray and Horcoff ha ha.

29. kinger says:

Any of you guys catch Garrett describing Wellwood as a “natural goal scorer” just before the game.

So far the NHL leader in shooting percentage is 0-2 on wide open nets and 0-1 on golden chances alone in the slot.

30. Ribs says:

Just cause I like to google things….
    A drug has to travel through the bloodstream to the site in the body where it is to have its desired effect. The drug’s effects then diminish over time, as it is processed [metabolised] and eliminated from the body. Alcohol behaves in a similar fashion, travelling through the bloodstream, before being metabolised and eliminated, primarily by the liver.

The extent to which each dose of any drug reaches its site of action may be termed its availability. Alcohol can influence the effectiveness of a drug by altering its availability. A single drink of alcohol or several drinks over some hours may prevent a drug’s metabolism by competing with the drug for the same processing sites within the liver. This type of interaction prolongs the drug’s availability, and may increase the risk of side effects from the drug. On the other hand, chronic alcohol abuse may cause an increase in the liver’s ability to process the drug, thus decreasing availability and reducing its effects. This effect may persist for several weeks after stopping drinking. To complicate matters further, a drug may affect the way in which alcohol is broken down, increasing the risk of becoming intoxicated.

I doubt a few drinks would interfere too much but I’m no doctor….or lawyer..or engineer…or anything smart-sounding like that. I’m just a lowly graphic artist.

This games hasn’t been looking very good so far. Thankfully Vancouver’s been fanning the puck all night.

Stortini hit was nice.

Horcoff is talking to himself again. That’s usually a good sign.

Cole still can’t shoot. It’s on the ice and right into the goalie every time.

31. Dennis says:

MC: I landed a decent contract and I work on my own time so late starts aren’t really a problem for me. Just as long as I don’t have to get up early more than two mornings a week I should be fine:)

1st period chances:

I had the Oilers up 7-5; 3-3 at EV and Oilers get the jump on ST, 4-2.

Edmonton had three chances on their last PP, first 27 walks out front, 10 misses from in tight and then the Dman walks in from the point.

I had 89-71-51 with our EV chances so here we go with another lacklustre period by the 10 line. They pretty much sucked last night so maybe they’re gonna lull here for a few games at EV.

32. bookie says:

Nick Kypreos annoys me more than anyone!

33. Temujin says:

Canucks must score on this 5-3

34. PDO says:

You have got to be fucking kidding me.

35. Oilmaniac says:

fuckin staios… SO UNNeccessary!!!
    GAWD…

36. bookie says:

I am not a big Staios basher, but that was stupid.

37. boopronger says:

geez staios….

38. boopronger says:

fuck here we go

39. bookie says:

I am now just doing this out of duty….

Fire MacT

40. jon k says:

The number of odd man breaks in the last two games has been incredible.

You wonder if it’s directive from the staff to try and create more opportunity offensively or if it’s the players reacting out of frustration.

Given the modus operandi of the staff, I’d guess it’s probably the latter.

41. Coach pb9617 says:

*smacks forehead*

Gagner, you’re killing me. Literally. Every time you do the same dumb shit my lifespan shortens.

Please HS him. Please.

42. bookie says:

If a team does not come out flying after a loss like last night, its pretty clear where it is all at. In my humble opinion everyone who is involved with motivation (coaches and Captins) have to question their effectivness

43. Lord Bob says:

Sure glad the Oilers came out mad after that Chicago game or we’d really be in trouble!

44. oilerdago says:

HS Gagner? Nah, let’s just keeping running him out there until he’s completely useless.

Just plain stupid.

45. bookie says:

I think its a team that is coaching themselves.

That’s a broken collerbone – our goalie situation is solved!

46. bookie says:

Ok, I was wrong…phew

47. boopronger says:

the first shift of the game from the kid line looked like last season. Nice little passes for quality chances. Is that just a confidence thing? It seems like if gagner shoots to just try to keep his game simple the play dies.

48. bookie says:

no shots yet…

How can we even watch this stuff…

I guess we know where the heart of this team is.

49. Dennis says:

The Edmonton Oilers PK unit? In possession of seven different kinds of cock-breath.

The Edmonton Oilers in general? Not worth anyone’s time.

An unbelievably green play by the vet 24 and the same kind of lazy bullshit from 13 that we saw a couple of weeks ago on a goal in LA.

50. Kris says:

All: Taking antibiotics and drinking can make you very, very sick.

I’ve been there– sickest I’ve ever been.

Ever.

51. bookie says:

This may be a dumb question, but why would you even investigate….just drink another day! Although I admit that watching this sober is a challenge!

52. boopronger says:

cole! pull your inside out move!

53. Coach pb9617 says:

Nilsson is fun to watch.

54. Schitzo says:

See, and here I was wondering how I could be in bed by 10:30 despite the late start.

It’s looking like that won’t be a problem.

55. mc79hockey says:

56. PunjabiOil says:

You’d think they would come out with some urgency tonight?

Have they even generated a quality shot on goal?

Getting outshot and outchanced seems to be the norm with this team. Why is that so? Why do players like Lupul, Penner, and Cole see subsequent drop offs in shots on goal when they sport copper and blew?

A coaching change is vital; probably won’t do too much, given the fact this team lacks any sort of depth.

What a waste of time, effort, and energy.

Fuck you Kevin Lowe.

57. boopronger says:

ah thats why they pay vishnovsky 7mill

58. PDO says:

I found something outside of drawing penalties that Cole is good at.

Losing the puck one-on-one.

59. bookie says:

To be honest, there were similar periods right from 1991 onwards, the difference then was that I could always blame it on a lack of $$. I do remember teams that made me lose hope like this a few times through that period.

I truly believe (right or wrong) that this team is being coached by a ‘gut instinct/hard worker guy’ and it needs a technician.

60. bookie says:

I am not certain that the lack of effort and my personal frustration ever lasted this long back in those seasons though. It was more about inconsistency. This team is actually proving pretty consistent.

61. oilerdago says:

I can remember being frustrated at times with the 02-04 Oilers, but nothing like this.

Of course I bought into the idea that was sold at the beginning of the season – this is the most talented team that MacT’s ever had.

You can fool some of the people some of the time, right?

62. Coach pb9617 says:

Not at all. Smyth was Smyth, Janne was a warrior, Brewer had a world of potential in front of him. Salo was still a real goalie.

Poti was 137 times more maddening than Gagner though.

63. Schitzo says:

So I have to ask – as much as we love to blame the coach, how much blame does our captain bear?

I mean, we have 3 days off to get ready for Chicago. Come out flat. Chance to come out mad tonight for redemption. Flat.

What the hell is he (not?) saying in that locker room that has us so lazy?

64. Coach pb9617 says:

Gilbert has to be hurt. His play is horribly off from a week ago.

65. bookie says:

Anyone want to defend the coaching of this team today.

I am willing to take the chance on dumping MacT and seeing what happens. Sticking with this does not seem that logical.

Even with some weak points on the team (faceoff, etc) this team should do better than this.

66. Schitzo says:

Christ, MacT – blendering your first line is NOT the answer.

67. mc79hockey says:

That’s funny, I think of MacT as a tactics type guy. He demands hard work sure (incidentally: I don’t see this as a negative) but he strikes me as a tactician as well. PP’s a disaster though.

68. oilerdago says:

If this were Japan, instead of having to fire the coach, the honorable thing would be for the him to commit hara-kiri…

69. Lord Bob says:

“Hi. I’m Craig MacTavish. I have one line that’s playing well, and I’m going to break it up.”

“I’m also going to key Tambellini’s car and say that a new downtown arena is a stupid idea. How long until I get fired again?”

70. Loxy says:

So much for my good record.

71. PDO says:

Salo turns into a hit… 5 seconds later the ref remembers he is made of glass and THEN it’s a penalty?

72. bookie says:

This is a good team. It’s just not a MacT team. Chicago faced the same problem and changed coaches 8 games in. Seems to have worked well there.

Those other oiler teams might do this for 4-5 games in a row, including Smyth, etc. BUT they would then be awesome for 4-5 games in a row.

No matter what you think about the ‘design’ of this team, this is a coaching problem. The Captain also should question his influence, but at the same time when a team is confused, coaching themselves, and uninspired, there is not much you can do. They have no faith in MacT and are only listening with a half an ear cause they don’t believe what he is selling.

I know how pathetic these players look this year, but look at them in past years and its clear that something is wrong.

73. mc79hockey says:

That was a fine ten seconds from Cogliano.

74. Coach pb9617 says:

I’m guessing some sort of injury to his right torso or right upper body.

75. mc79hockey says:

Actually it was four games in, the Hakws went 1-2-1 in those games and Denis Savard has nowhere near the pedigree of Craig MacTavish. This is a fundamentally dishonest argument, as I’ve pointed out before. It doesn’t mean that you’re wrong about MacTavish being fired, it just means that this point adds absolutely nothing to the discussion.

76. Kris says:

mc79: Do you really have to be an ‘older guy’ to remember the 02-04 Oilers?

They were disappointing, though.

77. bookie says:

To be honest, I can’t say that I know, and it is impossible to disagree with ‘hard work’. Perhaps his tactics are too creative or something, sort of a paralysis by analysis thing. I remember him coaching his team to never make mistakes (remember all those post game shows about how one mistake cost us the game) and I remember a team that was terrified to make a mistake. Since then, I have heard a lot of guys commenting on ‘I am not sure what my role is out there’ or ‘ I am not sure where I fit’ – Cole said something like this a while ago.

He may be a tactician, but I think he mixes lines on gut instinct, he chooses shootout guys on gut instinct, he picks goalies on gut instinct, etc.

My own feeling (and its totally a guess) is that some of the players no longer respect MacT’s hockey ‘smarts’ now and as such they can’t get behind whatever the plan is. I am sure a lot of them go home and bitch that “the coach doesn’t know what he F@#$ he is doing” and when that is the case, it doesn’t matter if they are correct or incorrect. To win, the team has to believe in the coach and the system.

78. Coach pb9617 says:

Staios is atrocious on the PK. He just wanders around aimlessly and leaves the crease and slot full of the opponent.

MC: Not close to 1993, 1994 in there. It was hopeless. I remember reading a column in the newspaper around that time that basically listed all of the players and had two or three that were above expansion level.

That was depressing. This team isn’t winning and they’re going to have to make changes but there’s all kind of talent on this club.

But not enough to get above the rest of the NW and that is going to cost jobs. MacT’s? Maybe, but someone is going to be sent out of town before him.

80. quain says:

Whoa, whoa, whoa. Staios doesn’t leave the crease full of opponent, he actively moves opponents into the crease. There’s a difference!

81. bookie says:

Fair enough, and you proved that I really don’t pay much attention to detail. The point is though, that changing coaches is not always a bad thing. I actually respect MacT, mostly because he is so well respected by good hockey minds (who know a lot more than I do), but unless the Oilers win five in a row by accident or something happens (a run by JDD or some strange thing like that), I don’t think he will get the team back on track.

Two terrible games in a row might actually do it, but I thought that about 3 weeks ago and it worked ok, but did not have any staying power.

82. mc79hockey says:

Cole’s a weird one. He actually doesn’t seem to fit with the roster. Lupul never seemed to fit either. I don’t know quite what to make of it.

83. Coach pb9617 says:

Go to NHL.com and watch the highlights, specifically the power play goals. Tonight he pushed them into the crease, last night he was defending the point shot.

84. oilerdago says:

I think the 3rd period is going to be very interesting tonight. It’s obvious change HAS to be coming (ok, maybe not to the people who count most).

If this group comes out and plays another flat period, I think there’s a lot of pressure to do something.

But what if they actually come out, play hard and come up just short? Does management use it as an excuse to say that we just need to be a little more patient?

85. bookie says:

LT- you are right about 92-94, although my memory is not great with regards to players, I do remember the general crappiness of the team.

BUT it was easier to swallow for me when it was a budget issue. I could at least say that they were a bunch of AHLers playing their hearts out.

It was hopeless as a fan, but at least you were cheering for ‘the little guy’.

This is something different and more painful to watch. Yet, I agree, I think the team is the ‘right spark’ away from being ery competitive.

86. Coach pb9617 says:

St. Fernando will come back after the new year and fix everything. He will calm the kids, he will fill the leadership void, he will fix the PK and he will bring a realy second line to the team. MacTavish will lean on him when things are rough and will find someone to turn to when no one else is making the system work.

Oh, St. Fernando, the people of Edmonton have sinned.

Save them.

87. Dennis says:

Ty: I am a little bit older than you;) and I’ve had CI since Mar of ’00 so I watched all those teams closely and I feel qualified to comment regarding your query.

In thinking about the ’04 team, Salo was rotting that team from the inside out so much like ”06 you could watch that team and be very confident that as soon as we got netminding we’d be good to go. In ’04 the Oilers turned the nets over to Conkanen and we rolled and Roli and the team had some early bumps once he showed up in ’06 but that eventually turned out pretty well as well.

’03 was another year of Salo making too much money and doing too little and once again you could really point to the sore spot and have confidence the healing would begin once it was treated.

’09 is different because one area we’re hurting is with the Kids falling down and 30 games is a pretty big sample so maybe it’s gonna last for pretty much the whole year. Plus, 26 is a fucking bust and that looks like it will also last.

Lastly, it’s been Since Salo that I’ve seen an area where I know things won’t change for the better unless there are big chances; I’m talking of course about the PK. There reached a point where I knew Salo’s play wasn’t gonna turn around and we were fucked with him. Now unless we bring in two or more guys to kill penalties, well, that area won’t improve either.

Plus, you were always pissed that the club wouldn’t spend more money but it was some sorta excuse. Now that’s been removed.

So ’09 has a frustration level all it’s own.

88. Kris says:

“MC: Not close to 1993, 1994 in there. It was hopeless.”

Ah, Zdeno Ciger where are you in our hour of greatest need?

89. Coach pb9617 says:

lol, Souray is still backfooting Lubo.

Dick.

90. Coach pb9617 says:

I love you, you big fatass.

91. Ribs says:

To add to LT’s 93-94 comment, I recently pulled from the archives (box delivered from my parents basement) an old game program dated February 2, 1994. Here’s the roster.

Bob Beers
    Scott Pearson
    Gord Mark
    Adam Bennett
    Doug Weight

Bill Ranford
    Fred Brathwaite

Ugh… What a year. The program does sport an awesome Captain MacTavish cover and a super awesome “The Performance Collection” Scott Thornton pullout.

92. Coach pb9617 says:

Scarier: Staios pinching in, or Moreau a half-step behind in open ice?

93. Lord Bob says:

Hey, fatso got one! Good for him!

(I’m not even watching at this stage. I’m watching old repeats of ‘QI’. I have to work tomorrow so I daren’t start drinking…)

94. bookie says:

Yes back in the 90′s our big hope for the future was Jason Bonsignore. It was players like JB from whom I learned that every new draft pick comes with the biggest hype “the next superstar”…”Amazing hands”…”Sees the ice like Gretzky” and frequently ends up playing on a Third line in the Austrailian Hockey League.

95. PDO says:

If you’re taking an instigator you really should at least get one good punch in.

96. bookie says:

Bob Beers had 37 points that year, wanna bet that he beats lots of Oilers this year?

97. Lord Bob says:

Meanwhile, I saw that roster and said “Zdeno Ciger is still playing somewhere, isn’t he? I bet he’s available.”

98. mc79hockey says:

Fuck, this has just been an horrific display of jerseys in the Linden highlights tonight. I hope someone apologized to him for that.

99. Coach pb9617 says:

Nice one on one defense Ladi.

100. bookie says:

I think the Oilers are now down to about 9 players playing and everyone else sitting.

Good move by MacT

101. Chris says:

I think the most frustrating thing about this team is that there are alot of good pieces here. The first line is good, the top two defensemen have performed quite well. We have some vetran experience in the bottom six and some promising young players on the second line and rounding out the roster.

On the other hand our second scoring line has been horribly ineffective at scoring. Only Cogliano is producing something close to an acceptable level. Nilson and Gagner have been horribly ineffective. Their lack of production has been putting the entire burden of offensive production on the first line and a mediocre powerplay. That lack of scoring depth is not going to win very many hockey games.

On paper this team should be getting better results than it is. I’m not sure if there are chemistry, cofindence or coaching issues. However, something seems to be wrong and the team is horribly inconsistent. They played a couple of good games, everyone calmed down a bit then they played Chicago and I’m surprised they didn’t leave a brown stain on the ice.

Then they respond to a putrid effort against Chicago by coming out and playing an indifferent game against the Canucks. Something has got to give.

102. hunter1909 says:

The most amazing thing this season is simply how esthetically terrible this clownish team has become.

I mean, I’m watching Columbus tonight and they’re playing hockey just like the pre lockout Oilers – lousy offence but disciplined and they hang in the game.

This year it’s gone from bad to terrible. Who ever heard of a Chinese fire drill in the offensive zone?

103. bookie says:

Hey, did Gags just score…and is this crappy game now a one goal game?

WTF?

Isn’t it 9-2, it feels like it.

104. Phil says:

After they lose tonight, the Oilers will have 30 points in 30 games – that’s 3 points ahead of last year. The fan in me wants to think that there’s still hope for better days, but the realist in me looks at these 30 games (and throw in all 7 preseason games) and sees a team that either doesn’t have the talent to be competitive, doesn’t have the coaching to make them competitive, or both. I’ve yet to see anything that would resemble a team system or identity. I see very few people willing to step up – personified by the team phobia of laying down in front of shots. The team’s biggest asset – “speed” – has been, to this point in the season, useless.

This one is it for me. I can abide losing teams, but I can’t abide teams that don’t try, that have no pride, and get paid a shit-load money to boot.

My recommendation to you all is this: Turn off the TV, go upstairs, kiss your wife, play with your kids, or do your homework, whichever the case may be. I for one will not waste any more time on a team that’s just mailing it in.

105. hunter1909 says:

Well, it’s easy to understand why they don’t get up for games. They have a coach who simply doesn’t believe in motivating the team.

Kind of like the anti-Vince Lombardi.

106. Chris says:

Yea, Gagner scores one which even Todd Marchant would have been hard pressed to mess up. That goal was all Hemsky. But still it comes a day late and a dollar short.

107. mc79hockey says:

Beauty play by Souray there. Absolute beauty. Shame that two Canucks touched it before so he won’t get an assist.

108. Chris says:

Souray’s save percentage is even worse than Garon’s yesterday.

109. oilerdago says:

Hunter, that’s a load of crap. It’s not that MacT is not motivating them, it’s that this is not a MacT type of team and he’s struggling with what to do with it.

And I think he’s out of his comfort zone because they guys who’ve provided some of the leadership (his kind of guys) are not there, or not as respected by some of the new guys.

110. bookie says:

Anyone else see Cole’s face there?

Another NHLer out there selling Edmonton as a great city to come to!

111. Coach pb9617 says:

That does not exonerate you Sam. You have miles to go before you sleep.

112. bookie says:

Fuck, I though Cole was going to break out there and he passes it…

113. bookie says:

Why am I still here.

I can’t quit you Oilers.

114. hunter1909 says:

I don’t think I’ve bothered to watch more than 60 minutes of this team in the past 5-6 games. They’re just that bad.

LOL, just fucking horrible, and not even funny like it should be when you have a shit team going nowhere fast.

You know, this team is cursed. Our grandchildren will be talking up the 1990 Oilers in 2067.

And guess who will still be coaching the team?

I liked those 3rd period lines. Just saying.

116. Coach pb9617 says:

I liked those 3rd period lines. Just saying.

Not a single one of ‘em can carry the fleet.

117. bookie says:

LT- I was only half watching, what were the lines?

118. Ryan says:

“Psycho Killers tonight. Book it.”

Yea right. Great blog LT but anytime you say “book it”, I will just ignore it :p

119. oilerdago says:

And for those counting, the holiday roster freeze starts Friday.

If there’s going to be any changes, there are only about 24 hours to do them in.

And that’s probably a BIG IF because I’ll bet you that management is going to mis-read the 3rd period.

Also nice to see Gagner pot one. He’s had a few beauty passes with nothing to show for it in the last couple of games (Nilsson, Moreau) so the world is coming back to the median.

Pouliot also seemed more active, seems to me he might have have had top 9 EV minutes amongst F’s tonight.

121. Dennis says:

To get back to Ty’s earlier question, it’s also laughable/extremely maddening to see how Lowe struts around given the lack of any real success. In fact the whole org is pretty much hateful when you consider Laforge and stories like how they parked the Zamboni in front of the CBC production truck on Sat night in response to Marc Crawford’s comments that the Rexall ice isn’t currently up to snuff.

It’s a lot easier to like successful arseholes as opposed to delusional arseholes.

LT: you have mellowed — I have a little bit as well:) — and good for you. You are the sphere’s Charlie Brown and Lowe’s holding the football but keep going and I’m sure it will go through the uprights right one of these decades:)

Ryan: Ignore everything I write. It’ll be better for both of us.

123. Chris says:

“They need to up the intensity level a little bit”, I’m glad that we have professional sportscasters to bring that sort of cutting edge analysis to the viewing audience.

bookie: Hemsky with Cogs and Nilsson and Gagner with Ethan rifles and Cole. Pouliot with Horcoff and who am I missing? Penner? I think Penner.

125. Ryan says:

But your blog is so good! I’m just sayin’

Dennis: lol. I’ll always keep the faith.

127. Jonathan says:

I see they lost again. I have trouble believing it, seeing how destroyed they got last night.

Did they mail it in?

128. Coach pb9617 says:

late lines were:

12-13-83
    78-10-26
    27-89-18

46, 51, 43 on the pine.

129. jon k says:

“Question for some of the older guys: Were you this depressed with the circa 2002-04 Oilers? I mean, I’m just finding watching this team to be incredibly frustrating and I didn’t feel that way back in the day. Didn’t have CI, maybe that’s the problem – the Oilers on HNIC were such a rare treat that I didn’t get the ennui but man, this game has been a snoozer by and large. Those old teams just seemed to be more exciting to watch.”

By my recollection those teams were just as frustrating to watch… but at least exciting to watch more often than not.

Jonathan: Nah. But they didn’t deliver the effort I expected, not close. The 1line seems to have lost its grip now so the coach is pretty much swimming in goo from the opening tip.

I did like the 3rd period lines, though.

131. Chris says:

132. mc79hockey says:

@Dennis: That zamboni story was unreal. Top fucking notch. It’s not even excuses in lieu of success anymore, just arrogance in lieu of success.

133. Coach pb9617 says:

How much for Jagr?

Get Jagr from the K and get Pisani back and now we’re cooking.

134. Kris says:

“Perhaps the reason we’re hanging onto MacT is the Oilers management is hoping that Phoenix loses enough money to fold in a season or two paving the way for The Second Coming.”

You mean another Schremp call-up?

135. Jonathan says:

LT: How close are you to the “Fire MacT” group? And, yes, I know this has been beaten to death by most folks around these parts, but I’m honestly wondering if it isn’t time for a different voice. It isn’t that MacT’s a bad coach… can’t motivate… can’t coach this roster… etc., just that this team needs a shakeup.

In the words of (Erik Cole?): first a trade, then the maybe the coach.

136. Chris says:

Smolinski and Mike Johnson still lacks NHL gigs don’t they? Although Johnson might be in Europe, but man I wouldn’t be above dumpster diving for a couple of penalty killing forwards at this point if I was GM.

137. Chris says:

Kris, I was suggesting that the Oilers management may be holding out hope of Phoenix crumbling and then installing Gretzky as coach. I thought referring to Phoenix and an Oilers Messiah would make that obvious.

Jonathan: If I owned the team MacT would stay. I think they’re trying to develop too many kids and don’t have enough actual NHL players plus lack balance.

Remember in the summer when MacT said he wanted Reasoner and Lowe said “we need to bring these kids along some time.”

That’s the conversation right there. How can you fire the coach? Certainly he has input but show me a coach who wants to start the season at C with Horcoff and three guys who barely shave.

Doesn’t exist.

139. bookie says:

Chris, Kris’ comment went way over your head….are you less than 1 foot tall?

140. Dennis says:

MacT jusssst about threw his vets under the bus.

He said that they got the effort and pushback from some forwards and in a lot of cases it was the young guys who showed up.

Of course that wasn’t really reflected in TOI because the three guys that sat come the 3rd were 46-51-43.

So I honestly don’t know what the fuck MacT was talking about.

141. Chris says:

I’m not sure the problem is there are two many young players on the team LT so much as the only young players we have whose performance is arguably good is Smid, Cogliano, Gilbert and Deslauries.

Brodziak and Pouliot haven’t been great, although they haven’t been aweful either. While Gagner and Nilson have been 2/3rds of one of the least effective lines in hockey.

142. Bank Shot says:

Is it really a personal problem though?
    The Oilers finished their 06-07 season 7th on the PK and they had nobody left.

I could live with a total management purge. Keep whoever keeps finding guys like Glencross, Hejda, and Gilbert.

Deep six the rest.

143. bookie says:

But, LT, do you think that MacT is somehow pouting or lost with the way he is coaching… kind of a “How can I win without Reasoner…?” thing?

I do think we will see patience by the management and MacT will not get fired, UNLESS Lowe and Tambi are as disillusioned with his coaching as some of us seem to be.

So, yes there may be some roster problems, but that does not mean that there is also not some coaching problems?

144. Chris says:

Its been a long night bookie, I blame liberal amounts of Crown Royal. As drinking is really the only appropriate time for liberalism in Alberta.

145. Jonathan says:

LT: I’m not saying blame shouldn’t fall elsewhere (it should). But the list of things MacTavish has done that drive me nuts is just about full-up, and there’s no excuse for anything less than a superhuman effort after losing 9-2.

1) Pisani at centre, even when it clearly wasn’t working
    2) Staios – Strudwick as the third pairing
    3) Gagner and Penner on the PK
    4) No Cogliano/Pouliot on the PK
    5) Penner dropped down and out of the lineup while Cole keeps playing
    6) Gagner given cherry time when one night in the pressbox might help him
    7) Pouliot showing all kinds of ability but promptly getting dropped down the lineup
    8) Ethan Moreau being used all over when he’s been bleeding since about game 10
    9) The use of Garon early
    10) The collosal bag of crap that is the PK right now
    11) Souray-Visnovsky on the PP
    12) HS’ing Smid and using him as a forward
    13) Dressing Boulerice/Sestito
    14) Cole over Penner on the PP for the first 10-15 games

The penalty-kill is the most alarming problem; that’s been a strength on every Craig MacTavish team since he replaced Sather after the last cup win :) The fact that it is struggling badly would seem to mean that he’s either lost it or he’s letting some drunk idiot run it.

Like I said – a trade first, maybe Cole or Grebeshkov out of town for something nice, and if that doesn’t get it done, I think he goes.

146. Jonathan says:

Also, Tyler: I didn’t find 2002-04 this frustrating, but then, I’ve followed the team much closer post-lockout.

I think the difference is that from 02-04 you could believe that Lowe didn’t have the money to do things, but from 05-06 on it was obvious that it wasn’t a cash-flow problem that was limiting the team.

147. Chris says:

Well post-lockout we can no longer blame the Detriots, the New Yorks and the Torontos of the world for paying all the good players too much. Now the only excuse for the Oilers shoddy performance is their own incompetence. There is no “the deck is stacked against them” argument in the back of one’s mind to absolve the team from poor results. Our owner is now one of those billionaires we used to think were screwing us over.

148. Ribs says:

I’m also interested in seeing more Poulie-Horcoff. I’ve pretty much written off Cole at this point so maybe Penner could fit on the line. It’d leave Hemsky with the kids and seeing as how Gagner is slumping and how erratic Nilsson’s play can be it could very well work. Hemsky replaces Poulie on the PP.

I can’t say that I expected a win tonight as a split was pretty predictable but the Oilers did play below my expectations nonetheless.

Besides Visnovsky, all of the Oilers defensemen looked tired and got worked.

The top line was shutdown early and I can’t blame MacT for switching them up. Vancouver seems to be very capable of doing this to us, often.

The kids were skating but were outmatched by the Nucks big mean defensemen.

Brodziak’s line killed some clock…

Pouliot gets stuck with Stortini and Strudwick to start and still tries his damndest to get something going. How can you not love this kid?

The PK is like s sub-machine gun with a silencer on it. Holes seem to be everywhere but it’s hard to tell where they’re coming from. Are they all just that bad? One thing that stood out was the defensemen bobbling the discus a bunch behind the net.

I don’t know.. it’s hard to be mad at these guys right now for some reason (holiday cheer?). A corner has to be on the horizon here and the Oilers are sure to make the turn…..right?

149. bookie says:

Jon- I think your list points out a lot of the strange coaching, but even then, its only partially complete.

Lets face it, when you have been in a position for a while and you don’t feel that you have what you need (they took reasonor from me!), you tend to slack off a little and scapegoat the boss OR you get all freaky mad scientist and think ‘if I just move smid up I bet he will light it up…’ and stuff like that.

What if we fired MacT, put some filler in there for about a month and then Hired Craig MacTavish for the job. Its crazy, but it just may work!!!!

150. Dennis says:

I think we should just move Cole right now. How many years does Vermette have left?

I guess the Sens wouldn’t want to give up what might be a locked-in bargain in Vermette but then again maybe they’re just fed up with him.

Note: Vermette has just one more year left so maybe this is something both teams could try

151. bookie says:

I know i just repeated myself, but its the smartest thing ever. We please the MacT haters and lovers at the same time. and MacT gets a chance to revitalize himself at some spa in Florida….

152. heed says:

And guess who will still be coaching the team?

153. Dennis says:

I Hated 10-78 together and I just find that 10 doesn’t trust him.

I went old school tonight and listened to CHED — I had no other choice because I had Van feed and I hate them — and Stauffer was great BTW and he mentioned how those guys had no chem.

One play I did love from 78 tonight was he carried the puck down the left wing and Ohlund wiped him out; he got right back up and went to the right wing and retrieved the puck and set up a pinching 24.

154. Chris says:

On the bright side if we continue along our current path we have a legitimate shot at Tavares. Although Tampa Bay and Atlanta do seem to have the inside track.

155. Kyle says:

In the words of (Erik Cole?): first a trade, then the maybe the coach.

This team just looks overall fucked (for lack of a better term) but Erik Cole himself is half the problem. Makes probably his best play all year at the end of today’s game and then follows it up with his stupidest by passing the puck away.

I honestly don’t think I’ve ever seen a more useless player except maybe Lupul, I cannot believe how bad Cole is. Statistically speaking he should be so much better.

156. Rod says:

157. YKOil says:

That is borderline freaky Dennis – I just finished my Atlanta Thrashers draft review series and then posted on the state of the Oilers (being topical for once being a good thing I thought) and I mentioned this trade thought there:

Vermette, Kuba and draft pick
    FOR
    Cole, Brodziak & Grebeshkov

Vermette has teh face-off % we need and I like Pouliot over Brodziak at this point (though, to be truthful I am a charter member of the MAp fanclub so that may color my views too much).

158. hunter1909 says:

That particular version of the Oilers was pathetic, because you knew all the good players would eventually screw the team and fans over for money.

This version of the Oilers drives you to the point where you just don’t really care anymore. They’ve made me a virtual non-Oiler fan until they clean out that putrid front office.

And so basically, the difference is, back then the lames had an excuse. Today they appear as the buffoons they really are.

159. hunter1909 says:

heed said…

“i hope that’s a joke because to be honest i would rather see mact as the leader of the free world than know you have children.”

heed: Well someone good looking needs to keep on making good looking kids. Otherwise they all end up as ugly as you. Or your sister, for that matter.

160. hunter1909 says:

PS: To circumvent the “but what about 2006″ brigade who love to jump on me everytime…

Names Like Chris Pronger, Mike Peca, Spacek, Laraque, Torres and Samsonov come to mind.

Subtract Pronger especially, and the 2006 Oilers probably don’t even scrape into 8th, let alone get to compete for the cup.

161. Yeti says:

Rod: “Um, yeah…next game is a PPV. At least that makes it easy to avoid watching the game. Question is, why would anyone pay to watch more garnage like the last two games?”

‘Garnage’? Yes, I like that. The illegitimate love child of ‘garbage’ and ‘carnage’. So very fitting. I think you’ve coined the term of the season so far.

162. Anonymous says:

I think Lowetide needs to post a picture of Stan Weir to turn things around.

163. DBO says:

Since they won’t axe the coach, what trade will happen, and on another note what trade do we all want to happen.

I would want:
    Horton and Vokoun
    for
    Cole, Nilsson, Grebeshkov and Roloson.
    Dollars work Ok for both sides, Florida frees up a ton of cash next year while keeping close to the same mix they had for the last 15 games in which they’ve played really well. And they can re-sign Anderson for Ellis dollars ($2-3 million)

Trade i think they might consider:
    If the rags do sign Sundin, and we can pick up a top flight centre I’d sooner see Drury then Gomez. Drury is the kind of player MacT would love, and he’s more of a goal scorer (which we need), while Gomez is another soft passer. If the Rags need to dump salary would they take back a prospect and pick? or maybe one of our defenseman?
    Staios, Nilsson/Schremp and a 3rd for Drury?

164. kanadienkyle says:

“As drinking is really the only appropriate time for liberalism in Alberta.”

1. Thats a pretty funny line.
    2. I thought I would stop by to check and see if Lowetide LLP had been retained for a medical malpractice case?
    3. Speaking of the old (early 90′s) days, I run into Shjon Podein from time to time and try to get him to come to my house to play NHL 94. That game was the only good thing about those Oiler teams.

165. Scott says:

DBO:

Nice trades, but you should recall Drury’s time in Calgary, he’s built from the Pronger mould when it comes to Alberta.

166. relic says:

not to stomp out the speculation but the Rags need to dump salary to sign ‘The Great Leaf’ and the Oilers don’t have room to take any on.

Wouldn’t mind that Ottawa deal though.

167. DBO says:

Scott: yeah I heard the Drury comments. only problem he’s the only one I think would both fit and help this team this year. There is really no one else i want from the Rags, and he’s a MacT kind of player. two way center, can pot 30 goals and is a leader in the room as well as a clutch player. he’s Horcoff with more goal scoring ability. it also allows us to shore up our third line. Lines i would like to see if that deal went down (and pisani came back):

Drury – Hemsky – Penner
    Cogliano – Gagner – Pisani
    Horcoff – Cole – Moreau
    Brodziak – Stortini – pouliot

Balanced lineup, 2 tough minute centers who can win a faceoff, and Pisani steadies the kids. On defense Strudwick draws back in, and you can call up Peckham.

168. DBO says:

relic: actiually the dollars fit, with us sending $4.5 million yearly cap hit, and taking back $7.050. however pro rated since we are a third through the season, the cap hit we would add is only $1.65 million (approx). And next year we could absorb his salary with the loss of Cole and Roloson, as well as Staios and Nilsson, we would still have $5 million or so to add a new player. If we went for Hossa, we’d have to clear some space.

169. Traktor says:

Nice to see MacT give Cogs some love after the game. I don’t know why more people aren’t excited about him. The kid has the heart of Rudi Rudiger. The only forward who’s stock is higher right now is Hemsky.

YK – The Sens are my 2nd team and we don’t want Kuba. He’s slower than Schremp and he he isn’t at all physical – in fact I think he’s like dead last on Sens in hits. If you think we are getting a solid defensive defender in Kuba then your wrong. Vermette would be nice though.

I’d be surprised though after Murray has depleted the Sens asset bank if he moved more assets for a UFA in Cole. The only way I see them making a play for Cole is if they get him for 25 cents on the dollar.

The play I would make (I still think this team needs to rebuild for a year) would be Cole to Montreal for Guillaume Latendresse. Montreal are definitely going for the cup this year and being a small skilled team upfront they could really use a guy like Cole to add balance. Plus he’s won a cup and that experience is always in demand. Latendresse only has 9 points in 23 games but he’s still young and would really add balance to the organization as all the forwards in his age group are undersized.

DBO – Drury is just gross. We’re already going to be paying one forward 7 million next year for 65 points. Why in the world make it two? I’d be shocked if the Rangers found a team to take on that contract.

170. Traktor says:

7.050 until 11/12 for a forward who has never cracked 70 points?

If you’re looking for a player that MacT can jerk off too Mike Fisher comes 2.5 dollars cheaper.

171. Jonathan says:

Is there any evidence that Chirs Drury is a superior offensive player to Shawn Horcoff?

If there is, is there evidence that he’s worth the 1.5M+ increase in cap hit?

172. HBomb says:

Jonathan: I don’t happen to think neither Drury or Gomez would be an upgrade over Horcoff when you consider the additional dollars for either player.

Has anyone seen a significant amount of Rangers games? What is Renney doing in terms of line combinations, and who is taking on the tough matchups?

173. Fake Craig McTavish says:

Some interesting line juggling at practice today:

Nilsson – Cogliano – Hemsky
    Pouliot – Horcoff – Cole
    Moreau – Gagner – Penner
    Strudwick – Brodziak – Stortini
    Odd man out: Reddox

*courtesy Gregor.

174. Schitzo says:

And to add insult to injury, Sundin is now a Canuck

175. Ribs says:

Hey looky… Pouliot & Horcoff. They are….wait, what? Sundin a Nuck?! Son of a…Whats next, Forsberg back to Colorado?

176. Scott says:

That’s the lineup we saw in the third period yesterday. Nice to see Cogs get a shot with Hemsky, he’s been playing well.

****ing Sundin.
    I hope Luongo stays hurt.

177. hunter1909 says:

I watch the Rags.

They’re not going to win squat this season. Too soft, too gentlemanly overall in their play.

The only Rangers worth watching are their role players.

Drury is worse than Horcoff. He’s sucks money out of the cap and it’s just not worth it.

178. Temujin says:

And to add insult to injury, Sundin is now a Canuck

Erhm. I’m secure enough in my masculinity, so what the hell…

SQUEEEEEEEE!!!!! ZOMG LEET!!! OMG OMG OMG!!!!!!! Mats freakin’ Sundin!

To paraphrase Mick Jaggar: I can get some… Matsisfaction!

Merry Christmas! Merry Christmas one and all!

179. jon k says:

As I opined earlier in the thread, Gomez would be the player to target out of New York.

Checking out the results from a few games, it seems that Renney isn’t very consistent in his matchups. Gomez and NY’s third line seem to split between the hard matchups at home. Checking out behindthenet, Gomez appears to be the one taking the tough matchups on average with the highest QUALCOMP by far.

Additionally, it seems that Drury is having an abysmal season. He’s not doing much player weak opposition, and getting killed. But then again, he’s only really had one season where he’s played as well as Horcoff, in my opinion.

He doesn’t have the benefit of Zherdev and Naslund on his wings like Gomez, but then again I think you have to give Gomez credit if they’re keeping pucks out of their net because it’s not coming by virtue of solid defensive play from at least one of his wingers.

Is Gomez or Drury worth having over Horcoff? Absolutely not.

Would this team be much improved by adding Gomez and having Horcoff as well? Definitely.

Then again if we were looking to add a high-priced centre one would think we’d at least have thrown our hat in on the Sundin debacle.

180. hunter1909 says:

I’m a regular watcher of the Rangers, and the last thing the Oilers need is to go for any of their centers, as being the be all and end all.

How about getting a real first line center?

Gomez, Drury aren’t anything approaching that.

Ask the Canucks. LOL

I don’t even hate the nucks this year. Not after they pounded the flames in the first week of the season.

It’s not the fault of Oilers rivals that the Oilers blow so bad.

Hell, Oilers rivals aren’t even very good. It’s just that compared to the Oilers, there are around 20 plus teams doing better than them.

181. doritogrande says:

Well fuck. There goes the division. Think he plays with Demitra, or do they bump CenterSedin to the wing?

182. jon k says:

183. Doogie2K says:

Way to sneak it in before the roster freeze, Gillis.

So, think we’ll see a Sundin-Sedin-Sedin line at any given point? If so, what are the odds that at least one play-by-play man spontaneously hurls himself out of the booth into the upper deck in frustration?

184. Fake Craig McTavish says:

@ Jon.

“I suspect that he plays C on a tough opposition line with Demitra on his RW. Demitra is pretty versatile at playing on the wing and is decent enough positionally for that to be a good top line.

The Sedins would be bumped down to softer opposition which I think is where they thrive anyway, especially with deadweight like Bernier on their line.”

Try this:

Demitra – Sundin – Raymond
    Sedin – Sedin – Hansen
    Burrows – Kesler – Bernier
    Wellwood – Johnson – Hordichuck

That’s what you’ll see and I wouldn’t be surprised to see them add another top 6 winger by the deadline.

They still have cap space.

185. Doogie2K says:

They still have cap space.

Do they? Even pro-rated, isn’t his deal still something like $7M? I think they had only $8M coming in, so they’re pretty tight, at least until the deadline when the pro-rated salary becomes something like 1/3 the total.

« Older Comments