Oilers at Canucks, G33/08-09

This is Pavel Bure. If we were holding an “all-time Canucks draft” and I got the first choice (I’d jump out the nearest window btw but this is for fun) this is the guy I’d take #1 overall.

Pavel Bure. Russian Rocket. Scorer on-ice and off. Russian mob connections (rumored–Al Strachan has connections everywhere) and the fastest man on ice.

He was a beauty player. For those who don’t remember Yvan Cournoyer, Bure was a bigger, stronger version of the Roadrunner. The man could fly. Remember than Robert Nilsson goal the other night? Bure would have scored the goal 5 seconds earlier than Nilsson. He was a freaking bullet.

The Canucks always seem to have soap opera’s around their best players. It doesn’t matter who is at fault, whether it’s Pavel Bure or Todd Bertuzzi or (now) the Sedin’s who apparently cost too much (who RUNS this team?) moving forward, it’s always something.

And like the real Russians, if you leave Vancouver under a cloud they pull down your statue and change the name of the town lickety-split. As a for instance, do you believe the Canucks will one day honor Bure (or Naslund) the way Edmonton honored Grant Fuhr?

Exactly. The Canucks as an organization are the hall monitor, the assistant manager at Wendy’s, the guy who used to close Consumers Distributing at 8:50PM instead of 9 so he could get out the back door early (I have experience in this area but was not in fact the actual manager. It involves trying to buy a television in Red Deer on a Friday night in 1983 and the sorriest excuse for a retail man in history. Give me the damn television you lazy ass! I’m STILL mad about it!) and have a nice evening.

I get the feeling the Canucks as an organization have finally grown up. They’ve hired a brand new saviour (the GM in Vancouver has exceptional fame in the town) and the team has oodles of talent. And as with all runs that have sustain, they seem to be pulling scoring wingers and good defensemen out of various parts of the body that do not (in a normal year) contain such riches.

Good for them. I know many long suffering Canuck fans who seemed to be on the edge of a dream before a Jovo dumbkoff penalty or Bertuzzi the Brave decided to alter time and space. Perhaps no fan group in the NHL deserves a Stanley Cup more than Vancouver.

And you know what? They might just do it.

Knowing the Edmonton Oilers management group our team probably held an on-ice workout at midnight without lights so the NHLPA couldn’t call it official. Boxing day games usually feature listless players and the hot goalie often carries the day.

There’s very little to go on in terms of predicting the outcome. Ethan Moreau didn’t break his hand which means he’ll only be out until Canada Day. Fernando Pisani is a month away, and this team needs W’s like flowers need the rain.

196 Responses to "Oilers at Canucks, G33/08-09"

1. Temujin says:

Drafted in the 6th round, because no one else wanted to take the risk that he might not be able to come over here and play.

Looking at the Canucks choices in the previous rounds, it’s a wonder they didn’t take him sooner!

Rd 1 – Jason Herter
    Rd 2 – Rob Woodward
    Rd 3 – No Canuck selection but Detroit selects Nik Lidstrom
    Rd 4 – Brett Hauer (Detroit selects Sergei Federov)

Good Grief. Looking at the rest of the Canucks choices in that draft, I’m just thankful they got one right! To think they could have had Federov, Bure, and Malakhov instead of those three. Edmonton didn’t seem to choose any better, Josef Beranek being the best of that bunch.

Actually they had inside info. Seriously. There was a rule stating that if you wanted to pick an underage player it had to be (I believe) in the first two rounds.

The Canucks had info that they used to pick him later (I believe it was the correct birth cert or some such) and got it through.

Ranks with Jari Kurri and Ron Greschner among the best draft stories all-time.

3. Schitzo says:

I believe the deal with Bure was that every other team in the league thought he lacked the number of games played as a pro in Russia to be eligible.

Then the Canucks draft him, the league raises hell and says “prove it!”, which is when some lineup sheets surface with Pavel as the last forward on the list, written in a different colour ink, in different handwriting.

OK, maybe not that blatent, but it’s highly likely that they faked the extra games required.

4. Temujin says:

I remember getting this hockey card and saying “WTF?”.

Just was reminded by the DB draft list that the first overall pick in 1989 was Mats Sundin. Heh!

Quoting the Hockey News:

“The Canucks also found themselves in a draft day controversy when they selected Soviet winger Pavel Bure. Bure, a star of the Soviet junior team at the 1989 World Junior Championships, was chosen in the 7th round. The Entry Draft is designed to allow selection of 18-year old players in the first three rounds only. The Canucks circumvented that rule by providing statistics that Bure played two seasons in a European Elite League, thereby making him eligible to be selected throughout the draft.”

6. Temujin says:

Why do you think they would they make a rule allowing 18 year olds to be drafting in the first three rounds only?

According to the hockey news he was drafted in the 7th round, but Hockeydb says round 6. I think we may have a major cover-up here, as clearly the Canucks chose Jim Revenberg in the 7th round.

Perhaps Pavel Bure was… really… Jim Revenberg!

Yeah, I’ve hit the sauce early.

7. Alice says:

KTown, Now that the Oracle-of-Lowetides has spoken you are compelled – Compelled! – to call this girl by her real name – that being the unimpeachable Sadie – else great trouble portends for the Oilers 3rd line.

Unless you want to call her Stan Weir.

8. Coach pb9617 says:

The most amazing thing about Bure was that his hands were able to keep up with his legs. There have been large numbers of blazers that have come and gone and almost to a man, every one of them would skate right on through every burst and every move those lightning legs could make.

Bure was different. So different. At top speed, which was two speeds faster than anyone else in the league, his hands functioned at the same pace as his legs. It was amazing to see a deke at 137 miles per hour. Man was he fun to watch.

9. Loxy says:

I miss Consumers Distributing.

Best catalogue ever. Especially when you were trying to put together a Christmas list.

Fact: I had a Bure jersey as a kid.

10. Doogie2K says:

Bure’s end was a bit like Cam Neely’s (or Bobby Orr’s, really): the hands were still there, but the knees had given out long beforehand, and you wonder what might’ve been if he’d had a few more healthy years. In fact, I even put something together about a year and a half ago, when Lindros retired, showing the difference between Neely-Bure and Lindros.

This is gonna be a tough night for entertainment. I got Rock Band 2, and want to set that up, but there’s also this World Junior thing, plus the Oilers game. It’s going to be busy, having all this fun to cram in. ;)

11. Traktor says:

We all know how prepared Edmonton is after the Christmas break. I’d be surprised if we score more than two goals.

5-2 Vancouver.

Borrows with at least 1.

12. HBomb says:

Perhaps no fan group in the NHL deserves a Stanley Cup more than Vancouver.

Fuck that. Save the odd surprise like Temujin, Canuck fans are a bunch of fucking idiots. They make Flames fans look like brain surgeons. Leafs nation west – arrogance with NOTHING to back it up.

I hope someone puts Burrows through the glass tonight.

….AND we’re back. :-)

14. Temujin says:

Hey now, I can be a fucking idiot like the rest of ‘em, ya know.

I DO deserve a Stanley Cup though.

15. HBomb says:

I DO deserve a Stanley Cup though.

You might, but I’ve seen/heard so much stupid shit from Canucks fans, well….let’s just say that there’s a lot of douchebags out there that don’t deserve one.

Lowetide: I try to bring the flavor to this party in a generally positive manner, but today I’m in a pissy mood – my computer is affected with some NASTY spyware, and rather than pay a hundred bucks to get it fixed, I’m considering retiring this five year old POS and buying a new laptop (which means a thousand bucks down the drain). But I digress…

I filled up on Ukrainian food yesterday, so today’s focus will be on finger food, my homemade multi-layer bean dip and my friend “alcohol”. In honor of Ryan Smyth, I present “The Mullet”:

2 shots of Southern Comfort
    1 shot of Peach Schnapps
    Splash of cranberry juice
    Shake over ice
    Serve in martini glass

Repeat….repeatedly. It IS the holidays, after all….

16. knighttown says:

@Alice

So let me get this straight. I have to call the new little one Sadie or else a pox upon the 3rd line? Jesus, with the luck Cole/Gagner/Nilsson or whomever you want to call our 3rd line has had thus far, I assume “a turn for the worse” can only mean something from this collection?:

I can’t be responsible for Gagner stabbing himself opening his new Toopy and Binoo DVD can I? Sadie it is. Fuck I hope it’s not a boy.

Re: Bure

Raise your hand if you tried the move where Bure fake drop passed the puck, fished it out from between his legs and then walked around some Oilers and set up a tap-in, during your next minor-hockey practice after watching Sportsdesk?

(rasies hand)

There are a reason that kids want Hemsky jerseys instead of Horcoff ones and I bet every 12 year old in Vancouver wore #10 in 1991.

17. HBomb says:

As for Bure, if not for the injuries, I think he’d be undisputed champion of “best Russian to ever grace the NHL”. \

Right now, it’s Fedorov who holds that title. Larionov’s best days came before he crossed the pond to North America. Five to ten years from now, it may very well be an argument of Ovechkin vs. Malkin.

And we can only wonder what Kharlamov would have done in the NHL, given the chance….God rest his soul. There were some “unusual circumstances” surrounding his death in a car accident in the early 1980′s, weren’t there?

18. Loxy says:

Some of my best friends are GREAT Canucks fans. They have supported the team since birth, are realistic about the players and are understanding of the game outside this city.

But I still can’t get past the time a Canucks fan spit on me.

19. mc79hockey says:

@Loxy: I think that that’s how they instigate mating in Vancouver.

20. Derek says:

Hbomb – My laptop was locked up solid right before christmas and this online scanner “http://housecall.trendmicro.com/uk/”
    and another program called malwarebytes “http://www.malwarebytes.org/” fixed it right up. At one point this was one of the only sites I could make my way to.

Its a long day of hockey watching for myself, starting with the Americans vs Germany so by the time the Oilers and Canucks take the stage I will be feeling no pain, for better or worse.

I hope everyone had a good christmas and is enjoying their holidays.

21. Loxy says:

@MC79 – So that’s why I’ve been single for years!

My prediction: Oilers 4-3

22. Sean Zandberg says:

Nice post, Lowetide. Love what Gillis is doing with the Canucks. He’s using green bait! Hey, whatever draws the big names here.

I admired Bure’s skill but that was about it. He sulked his way out of town….fukkim.

23. Coach pb9617 says:

I think he still is the “most talented Russian to ever grace the NHL”.

Mogilny can dispute though.

24. pboy says:

What you can’t dispute is the fact that Jagr and Mogliny had two of the best hair styles the NHL is ever going to see….

25. Coach pb9617 says:

pboy – Ron Duguay disputes.

26. Temujin says:

So, does Garon start tonight?

Please?

27. Coach pb9617 says:

“Sandler himself has two daughters: Two-year-old Sadie and one-month-old Sunny Madeline.”

28. doritogrande says:

…I love U20 hockey. Who drafted this Tokarski kid? Jesus H Christ what a save.

29. Derek says:

Garon-esque there, spreading it out and taking away the bottom of the net.

30. PDO says:

Three comments:

#1) All due respect Temujin… **** the Canucks.
    #2) Go Canada.
    #3) GOILERS!!

31. PDO says:

So..

Tavares is best friends with Gagner…

Has chemistry with Eberle…

;)

32. oilerdago says:

Wow, quiet nite so far. Eberle 2 assists so far – real good cycle w/Tavares on the 2nd.

Nilsson draws back in tonite. Kid is due to show something – or be condemned. I think he’s due and scores (I hope).

33. PDO says:

So uh.

This Tavares kid. I think he’s supposedly a good hockey player?

34. PDO says:

I remember people comparing Eberle to Zoolander.

Zoolander never blocked a shot like that.

35. Derek says:

Great sequence there by Eberle, blocks the shot in the defensive end, takes the puck over the blue and sets up a goal.

Sorry, not trying to hi-jack the Oilers GDT, but that was a damn fine shift.

Eberle is playing with ridiculous talent, but the exciting news is he’s not only picking up what they’re putting down–he’s creating!!!!

Stu MacGregor you magnificent bastard.

37. oilerdago says:

LT – I like the way Eberle’s doing a lot of things tonight. Willing to go in the corners and hit, block shots. Lot’s to work with.

38. Traktor says:

Is it just me or does Eberle look really slow?

The entire Czech team looks a little slow. Good point.

40. Derek says:

Eberle definately looks a step behind his linemates but hes been able to make some pretty good plays.

This years World Jr’s somewhat remind of me of 06 in that I was cheering my ass off for Cogliano and he had good results despite not being the main event on the offense ( Toews ).

Obviously Eberle isn’t Hodgson or Tavares but he’s still been a key part of Canada’s success thus far.

41. PDO says:

His feet look slow because his hands are so fast ;)

42. PDO says:

If that Tavares kid had any finish Eberle would have at least 5 apples. What a bum.

43. Derek says:

Shoooot…?

Billy Guerin popped #400 tonight. A nice career.

45. Traktor says:

What are we going to do when all these kids are ready to play? I’d like to think a 3 for 1 is in the works but I know better.

46. Traktor says:

Remember when Colin MacDonald was the next Billy G?

47. PDO says:

Traktor just made me smirk two times in a row. Well played.

I don’t think anyone who can read numbers ever thought that was going to happen.

At age 20 in the NCAA Billy Guerin scored 26 goals in 38 games as a sophomore.

At age 20 in the NCAA Colin McDonald scored 11 goals in 26 games as a sophomore.

49. Traktor says:

Are you saying KP can’t read numbers?

I’m saying KP is hockey’s Sparky Anderson. :-)

51. PDO says:

Know what would scare me?

How bad a player would have to be for KP to say he’s nothing special.

52. doritogrande says:

If we knew today what we’ve seen today, who picks Eberle over Ennis? Both kids have disgusting talent, but Ennis has the speed. And this is coming from a steadfast Eberle supporter ever since they drafted him.

Good on the Czechs for not giving up I guess. Though that goal was kind of a gimme.

8-1 Win, bring on the Oilers.

53. doritogrande says:

I cannot wait to see how bad John Garrett fucks up a Sedin-Sedin-Sundin powerplay call.

I would in all honesty pay money for that PPV.

54. Derek says:

Satellite was fine all day for the World jrs, flip over to SNET W, get 5 seconds of Gene’s mug and my receiver throws up.

55. doritogrande says:

Oh good. We’ve split Horpensky for an away game.

Clearly MacT got into the eggnog something fierce this year.

56. doritogrande says:

Oop, apparently my bad. Though I swear I saw 89 for the opening faceoff with 27 and 83.

57. oilerdago says:

DG – you saw it right, Gagner did take the opening face off.

58. doritogrande says:

Clean hit. No need for Stortini to get in there.

59. PDO says:

Where the hell is the charge? Brown was 2 feet in the air…

60. oilerdago says:

Horc has to shoot that puck.

61. PDO says:

Gagner is still a turnover machine.

62. Keegan says:

Might as well ask – anyone got a link to a feed of the game?

63. Baroque says:

The game is on atdhe.net:

64. PDO says:

I have no issues with a good “CANUCKS SUCK” chant… but usually “LETS GO OILERS” comes first.

65. Coach pb9617 says:

Gagner has to be effing kidding.

A blind drop pass off of the back of the net on the power play.

I’m getting my belt.

66. danny says:

Why on earth would Garrett voluntarily offer commentary to the nation that he has no interest in the world juniors and that he thinks it’s not competitive?

That’s just dumb.

67. doritogrande says:

What’s our record when Roli flubs a goalie-thwak?

68. oilerdago says:

Roli sent a dribbler out to second base on that attempted clear.

69. doritogrande says:

Memo to Hemsky:

You do not stop on a 2-on-1 for any reason.

Ass.

70. Keegan says:

Thank you kindly guys.

71. PDO says:

Hemsky & Horcoff have both been too cute.

And I'm not even getting into Gagner.

72. Derek says:

Seems like the perfect time for a baseball analogy from our fearless leader…?

73. oilerdago says:

Maybe Pete Peeters needs to yell at them between periods to shoot the puck? Still trying to make that perfect pass.

Contrast that with the 4th line who’s willing to go in and score ugly.

74. Coach pb9617 says:

Gilbert needs to ground Gagner. He shouldn’t be allowed out of his room for a month.

75. doritogrande says:

Coach:

Gilbert: No supper and no Guitar Hero!

Gagner: *BAWWWWWLLLLL!!* You’re not my real father!!

76. doritogrande says:

On the off-topic:

The Springfields lose again tonight, and Chorney with another -1 (this time, on a SH goal). Is anyone else no longer surprised? The farm team’s being run into the ground trying to make up for the abysmal goalie development of JDD by overplaying DD.

Crazy period, as expected. The only play I’d get uptight about is Roloson’s decision to try ending the career of Reddox on the bunt.

Lordy.

78. doritogrande says:

Shawn Horcoff with the GT snowracer plug.

Man, I loved those things.

80. Traktor says:

If Nilsson made that blind pass turnover on the PP he would’ve been benched for the period. Where’s the consistency?

What’s next? Playing Roli back-to-back after telling the media you won’t be playing Garon back-to-back because you don’t like playing goalies back-to-back?

I think you live with Gagner’s errors like you lived with Hemsky’s. A HS wouldn’t hurt but the kid is hanging in there. He’s a beauty player.

82. Marty Sakic says:

Wasn’t it the Oilers and the Canucks who knew the workaround with drafting Bure? I’m fairly certain that I read that the Oilers planned on taking Bure with their last pick, but the Canucks jumped in front of them and grabbed him. Oh what could’ve been…

If I dig up the story I’ll post the link.

83. doritogrande says:

“Chorney is -20 after 30 games. That whole “playing against the toughs” isn’t paying off but then again Chorney is drowning in it.”

Buddy better pull a Reddox next year, or he’s in some deep shit.

84. oilerdago says:

I’m sure Reddox is going to drive Roli out to the batting cages when they get back from this game.

85. Coach pb9617 says:

Does anyone here keep giveaways as a real time stat?

I just watched the first again and I’ve got Gagner with five.

86. Coach pb9617 says:

Kid line is sitting next to each other on the bench again.

Reunited already?

87. Coach pb9617 says:

Oh go to hell Gagner.

88. Traktor says:

I dunno. I’m starting to think the kids upside is Mike Ribeiro. A slower but harder working Mike Ribeiro.

THAT’S a penalty?

90. PDO says:

What did Erik Cole do to the hockey gods?

91. Coach pb9617 says:

THAT’S a penalty?

Yes, when you’re the suckiest suck that ever sucked, you get whistled for stuff like that.

MOVE YOUR FEET YOU HOBBIT!

92. doritogrande says:

Man oh man, that post probably sounded closer to “HAHA!” to Cole than the traditional “Ping!”. Poor bastard can’t catch a break, and neither can the Oilers.

93. PDO says:

Horcoff just got molested on the half boards. Where’s the call?

94. doritogrande says:

Bless you, Marc Pouliot.

95. oilerdago says:

Pouliot!!!

96. PDO says:

I love Pou :)

Pouliot is starting to score actual goals.

98. Coach pb9617 says:

Yay Pouliot!

Penner is a beast and a damned good passer in the offensive zone.

btw, Hemsky was once questioned for many of the same things Gagner is now doing:

100. boopronger says:

another drawn penalty by cole

101. PDO says:

Amidst all the fast tracking going on in this league right now…

Isn’t Pou doing exactly what a kid is supposed to do? Getting a bit better, and finally taking a big step?

102. Traktor says:

Marc Pouliot went from a poor mans Reasoner to a rich mans Reasoner overnight. Nice to see he has some confidence going.

103. boopronger says:

scorcoff and die!

104. oilerdago says:

Scorcoff is back!

105. PDO says:

Great pass. Great finish.

Hemsky to Horcoff. It happens quite a bit.

107. Schitzo says:

That was a disgusting pass by Hemsky. I love seeing him get 2+ minutes on a PP shift.

108. goldenchild says:

seasons greetings friends! I know Hbomb is the resident mixoligist but for christmas I got a beautiful bottle of Johnnie Walker Blue, all u need to enjoy it is a glass and an Oilers win in Van.
    Yeah for Poo and yeah for 5 on 3s

109. oilerdago says:

Stortini’s throwing checks like he wants to stay in the lineup a while.

110. doritogrande says:

That looked like Cheechoo in a Canucks uniform, and Roloson took another away.

111. PDO says:

Oilers are up 2-0…

And Canuck fans are cheering Oilers Suck?

Seriously?

112. Coach pb9617 says:

Pouliot – the “sniper” that Oilers fans have been yelling about for years.

Erik Cole is having a nice game.

114. Coach pb9617 says:

Two wrongs do not make a right. I’m not pulling hair out over Hemsky junior when Hemsky junior should be in Juniors.

Cole with another penalty drawn. Is there any other player like him in the league?

115. oilerdago says:

And now Stortini blocks a shot! What can’t he do now?

116. doritogrande says:

Now that’s the way to market the Winter Classic. Bet that appeals to a wide variety of sportsfans.

117. Coach pb9617 says:

That’s 20 drawn, 6 taken this year for Cole.

Coach: What?

119. gary b says:

he’s having some real tough luck, but at least Cole keeps trying…

other than the extended cycle by the Canucks there a couple of minutes ago, it seems like we’re actually causing more turnovers that we’re creating.

120. doritogrande says:

Another Oiler 5-on-3. Time to bury them.

Lordy, another 5×3. I’d send Cole out there and Phaneuf-feed him.

122. doritogrande says:

Tick….Tick….BOOM!

123. Coach pb9617 says:

Except for Gagner.

124. oilerdago says:

SssssouRay!

125. gary b says:

Note to Oiler team management:

Players perform better when they are each 5 Lbs. heavier. Feed them more turkey!

Nice period by the Oilers, and if you’re the Canucks this is two games in a row where one period sends you into the elevator shaft.

127. PDO says:

That was a shitty bounce.

I blame Gagner.

129. Coach pb9617 says:

That was Penner’s goal. watching in frame by frame in HD, that puck went funky. Either Souray can shoot a screwball like Carl Hubbell, or that is Penner’s goal.

Mason Raymond is going to be a thorn for a long time.

130. PDO says:

I blame the lack of a true #1 C.

I blame the organization for not being patient with Rita. He’d have made that play.

132. oilerdago says:

Anyone else notice that Nilsson did not get shift the last 8 minutes of the period?

133. Coach pb9617 says:

I blame Gagner.

It’s likely he wasn’t moving his feet. Someone get this kid some Lynn Swann ballet lessons.

Well that makes no sense. If you’re going to bench someone Gagner’s the forward you bench. Nilsson hasn’t been a factor but I recall one play that had some promise.

135. Coach pb9617 says:

Heh, I was just rewinding to figure out when he got benched.

He’s hosed when Pisani comes back.

136. Coach pb9617 says:

*runs outside to check for flying pigs*

Oh shit. No pigs. The end is near. We’re all going to die.

Pouliot in December:

10gp, 5-1-6 +5

138. Coach pb9617 says:

Pouliot in December:

10gp, 5-1-6 +5

Does anyone happen to have a position chart on that run? He’s been all over the place, so I’m wondering where he’s finding success.

139. PunjabiOil says:

Great games by:

Cole (2 penalties drawn)

Hemsky (Duh)

Penner (Playing like a best)

Horcoff (Skating there tonight)

Stortini (Blocked a shot, made a big hit that lead to a turnover)

Hold the lead, dammit.

On a side note, I got an Xbox 360…just wonderful stuff, and I’m not much of a gamer. Anybody with XBox Live is free to add me – my id is PunjabiOil

140. oilerdago says:

I think I know the play you’re talking about LT. But I’m thinking MacT holds him responsible for that shot that Roli had to save by Henrik.

Coach: I have no problem benching or HSing Gagner. It’s burying him I object to, since it was the organization that decided he was ready a year ago.

You’ve got a top 6 pick that falls into your lap and you ride him during a building season. The following year he goes Jere Gillis on your ass.

What do you do? Play the man, endure the long nights and take your lumps.

If this organization loses Gagner, that’s the hill I die on. This blog will devote itself to something else.

Probably the Oakland Seals. :-)

142. mc79hockey says:

I have had a hell of a night. Nice to see that the Oilers are at least helping me out.

143. Coach pb9617 says:

What do you do? Play the man, endure the long nights and take your lumps.

You sit him. You demote. You teach. You stop rewarding abject failure. You make the little shit move his damn feet. You make him stop trying the cute play that worked against Joe Monkeywrench since midgets.

Tyler: Everything okay? Is it cars or women?

145. mc79hockey says:

Wow, there’s your Golden Seal shoutout LT.

Coach. No. YOU demote him. The NHL coach (MacT) is going another route. I happen to agree with him.

Also, why on earth would you call him a little shit? I’ve seen no indication anywhere that he thinks he’s better than anyone or has a sense of entitlement.

Have I missed something? Or is this you projecting something from your own coaching experiences?

147. mc79hockey says:

Spectacular deductive work LT. The latter. It’s alright, just unpleasant.

148. PDO says:

… huh?

149. mc79hockey says:

Funny how the Gagner treatment goes so much against MacT’s rep that young players are terrified to play for him because he doesn’t trust them to make mistakes.

Yikes, Oilers PK and a 5 on 3.

150. danny says:

What was cole thinking there?

Tighter game gives him more toi?

Terrible

151. mc79hockey says:

“Smid just can’t handle him.”

There’s something you don’t want to hear when “him” is Kyle Wellwood.

152. oilerdago says:

Uh-oh.

153. Coach pb9617 says:

By demote, I mean fourth line, not AHL.

Also, why on earth would you call him a little shit?

Because he is a little shit? What’s he, 5’8″ 190?

I think you are missing repetitive mental errors that aren’t being addressed. Those errors are losing games and sinking lines.

And yeah, I’ve coached kids like him. Talented, smart kids that either think they can resort to cute or don’t have to learn at all.

I don’t understand how a MacTavish coached player can stay as stationary as him and keep his job.

I hate Kyle Wellwood as much as I hate Edler and Burrows. Smid should level one of them.

Ladies and gentleman: your Edmonton Oilers, causing heart attacks since the Messier trade.

Can we NEVER just coast through a well played 60 minutes? Jesus Alou people!

155. Coach pb9617 says:

This announcer fellow says “Daniel” with a strange lustfulness.

Cole should get a goal here to stretch this.

157. Coach pb9617 says:

Oh hey, Nilsson’s back. That’s good I guess.

158. oilerdago says:

Can we NEVER just coast through a well played 60 minutes? Jesus Alou people!

Right now I’d settle for Matty Alou and a clean single.

Nice little shift there by the kids.

160. Coach pb9617 says:

LT, I think you forget the mini heart attacks that happened during the 80s. I mean, you knew in the end that they’d win, but man oh day, they gave up more three goal leads than any team ever.

161. danny says:

Didn’t expect to see the 4th line out there after that icing…

162. oilerdago says:

Nilsson was back out there. MacT giving him one more chance perhaps?

Coach: Yeah. I read a review over at HF about the Oilers 10-game Christmas CD and buddy (a young guy) was talking about “no systems” and “cherry picking all night” and I’m remembering hitting the washroom and missing two goals back in the day.

Unless it was against Vancouver, a pee break might be worth 3. :-)

164. danny says:

Anyone calling wellwood for a minor?

165. Coach pb9617 says:

Didn’t expect to see the 4th line out there after that icing…

Only two centers can win a faceoff right now.

Oilers would go up 3-0, screw around for eighteen minutes, let the game go 3-3 and then win 6-3 with three goals in eight minutes.

166. Tyler says:

Nice dive, Sedin.

167. oilerdago says:

Roli looked like he was ready for another swing but I think he had the “take sign”.

168. Coach pb9617 says:

Rules question for those that would know:

If Roloson does that crazy baseball whack while in the crease and gets hit by an opponent who is going for the puck, that’s tender interference, yes?

Nice dive, Sedin.

The sky is blue, Tyler :)

169. danny says:

Yeah that was an Olympic calibre dive, smart play really when 44 puts his stick in that position…

170. Mustafa Hirji says:

We appear to have zero shots this period so far.

171. doritogrande says:

“How many actual NHL players do the Canucks have and is Yannick Hansen one of them?”

I had a big post here, but blogger said fuck you. In short form:

- Hansen’s a player. Learned everything about his game from Mike Keane.

- Jason Jaffray also a player of interest.

- Jason Krog and Michel Ouellet still in the minors. This equals depth.

- Team can use said depth to go on a run when Jesus pulls off a miracle on his groin.

I think the chances of this game ending 3-2 are zero.

So, I’m watching the game on Telus and blogging and Telus goes down for 5 minutes.

Telus…the future doesn’t work.

174. oilerdago says:

Mustafa that is no illusion. That’s a team being badly outplayed.

Cogs made a boo boo (imo) on the suicide pass but got back and then hurt himself on the BS.

Fu000ey.

176. doritogrande says:

Get your ass back on the ice 13. I put your name on the back of my new jersey dammit!

177. oilerdago says:

Cogs is not someone we can afford to lose.

Nilsson scores there and he’s out of the doghouse.

179. doritogrande says:

13 back on the ice.

*sigh of relief*

180. oilerdago says:

Cole just can’t buy a break tonite. It’s not fair.

181. Tyler says:

I assume that “tonite” is short form for “all bloody year”.

182. oilerdago says:

Yup.

183. doritogrande says:

Anyone else’s sphincter hurt it’s so puckered?

Why do the Oilers always do this to us?

184. Coach pb9617 says:

How was that not open ice interference there? Nilsson got chipped in the open ice. Screw the refs.

185. boopronger says:

get it out of the zone!!!

186. Coach pb9617 says:

HOW IN THE HELL WAS THAT NOT A HOOK ON EDLER?!?!?

gahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

187. Tyler says:

Man, Hemsky follows it up with a shot block and then goes down for another one.

188. doritogrande says:

Dear Santa:

Thank You.

Sincerly,

doritogrande.

189. oilerdago says:

Whew.

So, we should start making a list of survivors after each game. A roll call, sort of, because honestly I can’t take too many more of these.

Lordy.

191. Lord Bob says:

Gentlemen, I don’t mean to alarm you, but Marc Pouliot is now tied with Erik Cole in points and has a big lead in plus/minus with less ice time.

NW

1. Manure-ville 34gp, 42
    2. Van-city 36gp, 41
    3. Franken-state 33gp, 36
    4. Edmonton 33gp, 35
    5. Mork-ton 34gp, 35

Vigneault’s team could have gained a little clearance tonight over the Oildrop but they didn’t do it.

Damned close, though.

193. pboy says:

Any chance that Steady Steve could sit out the next few with “Captain” Ethan? Maybe that would give our two-deaded GM monster some ideas…..

194. Sean says:

No kudos to Smid for the huge block late in the game? Complimenting Smid and Pou I thought thats the name of the game here ;)

Great game by the Oil tonight! Souray/Stortini are soo valuable against those dbags…