Oilers at Flames, G36/08-09

This is Pat Quinn as an Atlanta Flame. I remember him as a player, he was a rugged player, very tough, borderline dirty (and beyond) but a recognized leader. His most famous play was a hit on Bobby Orr that injured #4 over 40 years ago.

I think it’s likely that Quinn gets another chance as an NHL coach. His resume is very good and one of the oft-mentioned drawbacks is his inability to work with kids. The WJC is apparently (I’ve read) a perfect addition to his resume to prove otherwise. I find the logic there to be a mystery but the hiring process for NHL coaches is that and more.

Quinn has many ties to the Edmonton Oilers and the city (played here a long time ago) and as such would have to be on a list of any potential replacements for Craig MacTavish. MacT would probably get a role as a Cardinal with voting-for-Pope privileges, and would perhaps be ideal as a roving minor league instructor with special attention paid to centermen.

The Oilers loss last night was just the latest of many lost opportunities. The Sens look dead in the water everywhere but E-town and in fact had the Oilers put in 60 minutes work the result would have gone the other way.

Hemsky and Poo are out, Brule is in. The nature of this team is that they’ll play a stronger game against a superior opponent tonight and fall short again. Many of us will say “if they’d played like that last night the Oilers would have gained 2 points this week” and in a season we know could swing on exactly two points it is beyond galling.

It feels like Groundhog Day, each morning the radio turns over to “I got you Babe” by Sonny & Cher. It’s getting to the point where someone needs to throw the toaster into the bath tub.

Seriously.

228 Responses to "Oilers at Flames, G36/08-09"

Newer Comments »
  1. Black Dog says:

The roller coaster continues.

A win last night and its four games in a row, back in the playoff spot, 8-3-1 for December.

Instead they’re looking at 7-5-1.

Watch them win 7-0 tonight. ;)

I had a Quinn card when he was a Flame. He looked fifty then.

2. Swabbubba says:

Well this is a battle game. I thought Hemsky may be able to go given the importance of him being railed by the big ear dope from SK. Well this team is a crap shoot depends… I thought last night the officials owed the Oilers a call in the last 5 given the awesome imagination they used earlier in the festival of blow whistle for random effect.
    Oilers 4-2 Happy New year to all.

3. hunter1909 says:

Quinn is so more suited for coaching the Oilers than anyone else at this time it’s not even funny.

Isn’t there some rumour going around that he’s going to be the next coach?

Because this is exactly what this team needs – a new broom.

How can you not like a coach who could probably beat the shit out of 90% of his players?

4. Jonathan says:

Hunter: What makes you think Quinn is a better candidate than the other options?

5. Black Dog says:

Yeah, as someone who saw a lot of Quinn here in his days with the Leafs, I’m not so sure of that.

Those Leaf teams took tons of bad penalties, were awfully loosey goosey in their own end and made a lot of fundamental errors.

Serious lack of accountability too – guys could make mistake after mistake and take bad penalties again and again and never see the bench.

Think a team of Moreaus. ;)

But they always had a lot of talent and, most of all, Joseph pr Belfour to bail them out. That was key. Without that goaltending those Leaf teams likely would not have made the playoffs most years and certainly would never have won a round.

He’s not the man for the job at all.

6. Lord Bob says:

I’m thinking this is going to be a cover-your-eyes awful game tonight. One of those ones in which Roloson will make forty-five saves and glare nuclear missiles at his defensemen and Steve Staios will take twelve minutes in penalties.

7. oilerdago says:

When things are on the outs with your significant other, anyone else will look better.

But Black Dog nails it. Those Leaf teams got as far as they did with goaltending that overcame a lot of other issues – until they got deeper in the playoffs and they ran into far more disciplined teams.

I’m not saying that I think that MacT’s having a great year, but I don’t think Quinn is an upgrade.

8. Schitzo says:

So if you’re Tambellini, are you

a) Ignorant of the fact that Moreau is part of the problem, not the solution

b) Hamstrung on trading him by your direct superior

c) Hamstrung on trading him because there isn’t a team in the league who will take him

9. Lord Bob says:

First, Moreau is overrated as a problem. Our grumpiness about him stems from the facts that a) he’s not Curtis Glencross, and b) he takes a lot of penalties. However, his underlying numbers are pretty good and he’s able to play tough matchups, which is not the sort of player we have enough of these days.

Would it be great if we could flip Moreau for somebody as good as he is but more disciplined and cheaper? Sure. And you let me know when you find an NHL team that’s going to go for that.

10. Black Dog says:

Someone get Doug MacLean a job, stat!

Well, we always need someone to pick on now, don’t we?

I think really there are two beefs with Moreau, if I can speak for the group. And I can.

He makes too much money.

The team needs him too much.

If he were making even half of what he is now and was on the fourth line, playing the PK, there might be bitches about his penalties but there would be a lot less complaints.

And he’s kind of getting killed playing the tough minutes, at least based by Dennis’ metric, which is a good one I think.

Glencross, Rene Bourque (another Hawks’ pick), plenty of others do more at both ends of the rink for less money.

But this team has shed enough frigging vets and toughness over the last few years – they need more guys like Moreau. Just not at that price.

11. Doogie2K says:

It’s funny, when I saw Liam F. Reddox on the first line last night, I grumbled, “two steps forward, one step back,” and that’s exactly how it feels this morning. Sure, Reddox scored last night, but that’s hardly the point.

Maybe they’ll put Brule on the 10 line tonight. Lord knows they could do worse.

12. Schitzo says:

Sweet jeez, we’d be shorthanded 35 minutes a night

13. hunter1909 says:

Jonathan: 1- What other options?

2- How can he be worse than the current coach who doesn’t give a rat’s ass about even motivating his players?

I just happen to like guys like Quinn, over “cerebral” types. Unless their name is Fred Shero.

14. Lord Bob says:

HBomb:

Was the option ever really “Curtis Glencross or Ethan Moreau”? They signed their contracts in different seasons, if I’m not mistaken. And if Moreau is untradeable now he was twice as untradeable after 2007-08 when he’d spent almost the entire season on injured reserve.

So Lowe and Tambellini’s only real option was to take both Glencross and Moreau. Knowing what we know now, that would have been a decent move. But knowing what we knew then and with the small sample size of Glencross’s only NHL-calibre campaign, was it?

Remember, Glencross isn’t very young and he had quite a few miles in the minor leagues and in the NHL to an extent before he came on in Edmonton. This is a guy who’s beating the odds with every effective game he plays in Calgary. Yes, it looks like he’s for real today, but back then I wouldn’t have bet on it and neither would most have you.

MacT played Reddox on Horcoff’s line last night because he is a decent checker, and Horcoff’s line’s role last night was to match Spezza and Heatley, which they did.

It was up to the rest of the Oilers to beat the rest of the Senators.

16. Black Dog says:

L.B. – I guess the question is Torres or Glencross, maybe?

I don’t think Moreau isn’t fit for the 3rd line role except parttime (remember in ’06 in the playoffs he didn’t play in the top 9 much) – problem is they left the spot for him, maybe money, maybe optics, maybe they figure he can handle it.

And I was on the fence on Glencross even at his current salary. He was a gamble.

Problem is Lowe has a recent pattern of gambling and losing. Everyone blows it once and a while but Glencross was another in a long list recently.

Good one schitzo.

17. quain says:

Yes, rather than call out all those players to motivate them to pick up their game, it was all an accident. He meant to talk about what was on the Style network and ‘Nilsson has no compete’ just slipped out instead.

Feel free to hate on MacT for failing to motivate, but don’t act like he’s just leaving bullets in the gun.

18. Jonathan says:

Jonathan: 1- What other options?

Really? Here’s a partial list (in no special order):

John Paddock
    Glen Hanlon
    Rick Kehoe
    Mike Sullivan
    Kevin Constantine
    Craig Ramsey

Plus there’s the 70+ NHL assistant coaches; virtually every team has one that might be worth a shot (ANA- Brown, ATL – Cunneyworth, BOS – Ward, etc., etc.)

There’s plenty to be said in Quinn’s favour; “what other options?” is probably the worst rationale that could possibly be offered in favour of the hiring.

19. Lord Bob says:

EDM – Buchberger!

Someone had to say it.

20. hunter1909 says:

Jonathan:

LOL well…

I just happen to like Quinn. Ok?

And since the Oilers don’t give a rat’s ass for any of my opinions, you will have to excuse me for not going into extreme detail re my preferences for head coach of the Oilers(who currently are keeping the one they already have anyway).

I also like the idea of Lowe having to coach the team he assembled. But like I already stated, who cares what I think?

21. mjsh says:

Lowetide; it sounds like you are starting to get on the bus that says mac T must go. I still cannot figure out whether we are overestimating what this team can do or if they are underacheiving. Certainly if you look at the payroll, they are underacheiving as a group.

I think Horcoff is playing well. That was a great pass to Penner that he could not hit the net with. Cole is truly snakebit. That is now three breakaways with no goals in two games. When you think that he almost fanned on the goal he did score in Vancouver, it could be fair to say that he is pretty nervous on his chances.

If either Cole or Penner bury their chances from last night, it is a different game. And if my aunt had balls she would be my uncle.

I think Pat Burns is the right guy. After a “players coach” you want a hard ass. Burns would do well here for a couple years.

22. quain says:

Good lord, hiring Marc Crawford would solve so many problems, it has to be done:

1. I’d never have to hear him announce a game again.
    2. He could turn Dustin Penner into Todd Bertuzzi, you know: constant five o’clock shadow, eyes like a drunk.
    3. Dustin Bertuzzi could maim Jordin Tootoo. Penner suspended forever, contract off the books, and Tootoo quits hockey to begin a lengthy court battle, preferably armless.
    4. I don’t have a four.

See! It’s perfect!

23. mjsh says:

Quain. I like number one repeated in number 4.

24. Asiaoil says:

Jonathan – that is an awful list full of has-beens, never-was and hacks – isn’t there anybody outside the NHL used car lot that is younger, smarter and ready for a prime time gig?

25. Jonathan says:

Hunter: When I asked the question, I was honestly curious – what is it that sells you on Quinn? What were special teams like under him? What kind of matchups did he prefer? Which players did he develop that were similar to players on the roster now? That kind of thing.

I’d have to take a closer look at it, but Quinn always struck me as being a pretty good coach – but likely not the best candidate available.

Then again, I’m a guy who would have interviewed Jarmo Kekalainen for the GM’s job.

26. Jonathan says:

Asiaoil: Outside of Burns and Sullivan, none of those names would be on my interview list. I was just rattling off a bunch of commonly brought up names.

Personally, there are a few NHL assistants and AHL coaches I’d take a look at.

27. Paper Designer says:

On the contrary, this is their opportunity to break the cycle. The problem is that their winning streaks have not outlasted their losing streaks; if they stop this streak at one, it’s an opportunity to signal a turnaround.

28. mjsh says:

I do not have much hope for tonight. Calgary is playing very well and the Oilers, well are the Oilers with likely no Hemsky and not much heart.

29. Jonathan says:

AsiaOil: Also, I haven’t put nearly enough thought into it, but some current NHL assitants I’d consider would be Rick Wilson in Dallas, Brent Peterson in Nashville, and Todd Richards in San Jose.

30. hunter1909 says:

I would also take a list of the top 5 teams in the league and then take a very close look at their assistant coaches.

31. Jonathan says:

Paul MacLean in Detroit is worth considering, despite his bushy mustache:

- Six seasons as an assitant to Mike Babcock, first in Anaheim, than Detroit.
    - One season as an assistant coach in Phoenix.
    - Eight seasons as a minor league head coach.
    - THN’s Minor League Coach of the Year in 1994.

32. Jonathan says:

Kevin Dineen’s another possibility, and one I’d strongly consider. He’s been the Head Coach of the Portland Pirates since 2005-06, with a career record of 153-100-19. Prior to that, he spent two years in Hockey Ops in Columbus, after his retirement.

33. Doogie2K says:

Leaving aside the payroll and names on the paper, it just feels like this team is underachieving, in the effort and the execution, which are two things MacT has always harped on. I think that’s why a lot of people who have normally been MacT supporters are either ready to toss him under the bus, or at least willing to stand by while someone else does.

That being said, I would heartily support Pat Burns, not only as a feel-good story, because I liked him when he coached the Habs (and don’t blame him for sharing a division with one of the few teams better than Montreal in the late ’80s, the Neely-Bourque Bruins).

Paul MacLean in Detroit is worth considering, despite his bushy mustache

You mean because of his bushy mustache, no? Still, that’s a decent resume for a first-time coach, and with all due respect to your list of has-beens, the Oilers almost inevitably go for the rookie, unless he’s a self-retread (i.e. Sather).

34. Sean says:

Anyone like the idea of giving Reddox’s minutes to Stortini for a test run? We are on game 2 of a b2b, missing our best player and one of few guys who creates offense 5on5. We’re gonna need to draw penalties and it might be worth it to give Calgary a chance to self destruct… Flame away

35. Jonathan says:

Still, that’s a decent resume for a first-time coach, and with all due respect to your list of has-beens, the Oilers almost inevitably go for the rookie.

Personally, I like that. I don’t believe coaches should be hired to be fired; the only time it’s worth picking a re-tread is if you think he’s a guy you want coaching the team five years from now.

That said, my ideal candidate needs to have experience; preferrably both as a head coach in the AHL or similar, and as an assistant in the NHL.

36. HBomb says:

Lord Bob: I think Lowetide pretty much said it for me – Glencross in addition to Moreau should have been kept if Torres was going.

Then, once the season gets rolling and you see that Glencross is capable of playing more than just 4th line minutes (I personally thought he would have been a good bet for around 1.2 million per season), you can entertain moving Moreau once he’s proved he’s healthy.

Even at 2 million cap hit, I think you’d find a taker. Getting rid of the Staios contract at some point, that’s going to be much trickier.

37. Traktor says:

Hire Scott Arniel. That is all.

38. Traktor says:

Scott Arniel

AHL: 2 years Head Coach, Manitoba Moose (91-50-19)
    NHL: 3 years (2003-04 to 2005-06) Assistant Coach, Buffalo Sabres

Accomplishments

-In first year as assistant with IHL’s Manitoba Moose, helped team to first round upset.

-Member of Manitoba Moose coaching staff during first season in AHL. Team tied for fifth-most wins in the league.

-Member of 2005-06 Buffalo coaching staff that won Jack Adams Trophy.

-While Assistant Coach with Sabres, team improved from 72 to 85 to 110 points.

-In first year as AHL head coach in 2006-07, guided Manitoba Moose to 45 wins. Accumulated 46 wins the next year.

Notable Mentors

Dave Tippett (Houston, 1995-96)
    Randy Carlyle (Manitoba, 2001-02)
    Lindy Ruff (Buffalo, 2003-2006)

Quotes

“The big thing as a coach is that you think you have all the answers and that you have a game plan that is the be all and end all. Then you get into situations where you have to make changes, recognizing that you have to adjust to your team and that every year is different… You have to tailor yourself towards the kind of team that you have. You can’t get locked into doing things a certain way all of the time.”

“If you just throw your name in for jobs and get yourself on the wheel for the sake of just getting a job, you could get bounced off that wheel and be gone.. The biggest thing for me is you align yourself with a good general manager and you know the people you are in business with. In a relationship like that, it helps you through the tough times as well as the good.

That’s probably the best way. I’ve seen success in Buffalo with Darcy (Regeir) and Lindy (Ruff). They have a good friendship and a good relationship. Brian Burke and Randy Carlyle (with the Anaheim Ducks) are another example.”

- From Matt Bugg over at HF.

39. Jonathan says:

Arniel would be a guy worth looking at, for sure.

40. hunter1909 says:

You have to wonder who in the Oiler’s organisation reads this blog…for all we know it’s Katz

lol

PS: Feel free to contact me at anytime Mr Katz, on how to make this backwater organisation the flagship of the NHL.

41. hunter1909 says:

BTW: Trolling through memory lane this morning, this is one of the things I came up with(1981):

Paul Coffey went through a lot of anxiety this year as he sat in fear of being sent back down to Kitchener of the Ontario Hockey League. Although always an amazing skater he has been inconsistent at his position. As we all know he need not have worried.

also LOL:

Boasting perhaps the youngest group of players to challenge in the playoffs, in a pinch the Oilers of the eighties could have iced a line-up of eligible juniors. Kevin Lowe was twenty one and in his second year. A couple of rookies, Glen Anderson and Jari Kurri were twenty and Coffey, Messier and Gretzky nineteen. Even excluding these six, the team’s average age was just over twenty-one.

42. Jonathan says:

Hunter: I didn’t realize you could be a troll on memory lane. It’s nice to see you moving on to bigger and better things ;)

43. oilerdago says:

Arniel sounds a whole lot better than many of the other re-treads.

44. PDO says:

Guessing there won’t be much action in this thread tonight. They’ll win tonight, probably in OT. It’s the Oiler way.

I’ll be drinking one of these every time there’s a goal tonight, so we’ll call it the geno:

1/3 of a beer… preferably a light beer. I’ll have Pilsner, but anything you can see through works.
    1 shot of Butterscotch Schnapps.

It’s a drop shot.

Enjoy.

Happy New Year!

45. Dennis says:

Pat: That’s the way I remember Quinn’s Leaves teams as well. The CuJo Leaves were super-scrambly and it always seemed to me that Belfour was magnificent when he had to be.

AAMOF, I’ve still never seen anyone else do such a great job of controlling rebounds.

The Oilers inability to kill penalties is maddening. You know how you have friends who you can count on every time and when you make plans you know they won’t fall through? Well, the Oilers PK is the same thing.

The Oilers pretty much start every game knowing they’re gonna give up a goal on the PK and it’s hard to fight through that.

And it’s hard for me to watch it. It’s the new Salo-nian albatross and I wasn’t too fond of that era either.

46. Lord Bob says:

So the million dollar question is, how does Tambellini go about trading our penalty kill for Tom Gilbert?

47. Ribs says:

Offer Sheet?

48. Dennis says:

I’m still not over the fact that the Oilers Didn’t take the Good Western Boy TM, can’t remember his name right now, when the Avs gave them the choice of either the GWB or Gilbert.

In any case, I still have fond memories of the day Tommy was traded. It happened very early in the morning of Trade Deadline Day and I’d just got out of the shower and heard Bob McKenzie talking about it.

49. hunter1909 says:

I’m 100% positive Oilers are going to be making a major trade very soon. Tambellini hasn’t done a single thing to show anyone he’s even the GM.

50. Coach pb9617 says:

Kevin Constantine

AWESOME coach. He’d fit as well in Edmonton as a Kalahari Bushman.

If they do replace him, I’ll go with the Peter Laviolette route.

51. Coach pb9617 says:

Less so if Nilsson or Grebs is going too.

52. Doogie2K says:

Having reread my own post, I should clarify that that isn’t a bad thing, necessarily, even if results have been somewhat mixed, and I definitely agree with your own criteria for an ideal candidate being someone who’s worked their way up the ladder. I don’t think Mike Babcock was an assistant coach in the NHL before taking over in Anaheim, but he definitely exemplifies starting small and taking on bigger challenges.

53. hunter1909 says:

I liked Laviolette way more than MacTavish in those finals.

Laviolette sounds as if he gives a fuck.

54. Jonathan says:

Hunter: That’s one of the stupidest things you’ve ever written, and you’ve written some stupid stuff.

Remember, for example, MacTavish’s nearly-despondent press conference after Roloson got hurt.

Questioning MacTavish’s ability is fine, and worth doing – saying he didn’t care in the Stanley Cup Finals is either wilfull ignorance or gross stupidity.

55. Jonathan says:

Incidentally, to add to the comment above, I’d be grossly underqualified to coach the Oilers in the SCF. Just a train-wreck of a coach.

I’d damn sure care, though. Any idiot who’s ever put on a pair of skates would.

56. Bruce says:

Sean: I don’t mind the idea of Stortini getting Reddox’s minutes, except we’re really talking about Hemsky’s minutes. Nonetheless, I defintely would like to see 46 get more ice tonight; Calgary’s self-destruction is Plan B, whereas Stortini in search-and-destroy mode is Plan A.

Last night I attended the game and I honestly thought Zack was one of the Oilers’ best players (generally not a good sign, which is more a reflection on the other guys than on 46 himself). There was a buzz in the arena as he busted his ass in on the forecheck, winning more than his share of races to the puck, controlling the action on the end boards, and looking for if not quite landing the big hit (though he’s had a couple of beauties lately, against O’Brien, Hordichuk and Fedoruk). He did crunch Chris Neil on one occasion, the only time all night Neil was on the receiving end of anything.

The Ottawa fan behind me called Zack a cartoon character, which we had a laugh about even as the guy agreed he was Oilers’ hardest worker.

In the third MacT put 43-51-46 directly against Ottawa’s big three for at least two full shifts with no problem, but once Ottawa scored the 3-2 goal he nailed those guys to the bench while other guys who had done nothing on the night were given continued opportunities to do nothing down the stretch.

Success in the back end of a BtB usually requires a four-line effort, which is hopefully what we will see tonight. There’s a few guys of a lot higher pedigree than Zack Stortini who should have lots left after last night’s “effort”.

57. HBomb says:

They had a choice of one of three: Gilbert, Johnny Boychuk (he’s the kid from around here), and Keith Ballard (who has already been traded thrice in his NHL career).

58. boopronger says:

im a little surprised they didnt put schremp on the top line. Doesnt he reflect hemskys skill set more then reddox or brule?

Schremp still has issues with keeping up, plus of course playing him against the tough opposition would be silliness.

60. boopronger says:

Okay fair enough LT. What did you think of the 3/4 games hes played on the oilers so far this year. IMO i think he looked much more like an actual NHLer then he did in the past. Did you think he kept up with the play in those games?

61. boopronger says:

Plus super Horc should be able to cover his ass against the toughs. :)

62. St George says:

Anyone watching Quinn’s team right now? “Loosey goosey” is a pretty fair characterization.

63. boopronger says:

what a game going on in WJ. Dirty americans

64. boopronger says:

Eberle. WOW

65. hunter1909 says:

Jonathan:

Laviolette came across to me as a passionate defender of his team throughout that series. As did Brind’mour totally seriously lead his team on the ice. Both in my opinion tipped the scales in that series, notwithstanding that dumbfuck Bergeron(who I would have happily seen beheaded at center ice on opening night of the 2006-07 season).

boopronger: Schremp has looked better and now it’s just a numbers game + probably the coach is always going to go with some combination of power/speed. Schremp has neither, he’s basically Hal Morris.

The WJC game is just crazy. USA is bigger, stronger and at least as skilled but lordy they have zero composure.

Nice goal by Eberle.

67. Lord Bob says:

So, the Canadians don’t need Riley Nash, eh?

I think Nash needed to be bigger (heavier) to make this team. If he were 6-1, 200 imo he’d be on the team but he’s listed at 6-1, 179 on the Big Red site and after the pure skill guys this team needed some bite.

69. Lord Bob says:

The American coach must be upset that his players aren’t even being allowed to thrust sticks into the faces of Canadian players. Just one Canadian player at a time.

70. Coach pb9617 says:

Lotta tender talent in this one.

Myers? Is he 7-feet?

And btw, this game better end before the Oiler play. Love the WJC but Oilers are Oilers.

Tokarski. Jesus.

73. Kris says:

Anybody got a link for the game?

74. Lord Bob says:

LT, I see what you’re saying about the Oilers being the Oilers, but is there any chance of any sort that even the Battle of Alberta is going to be as good as this game has been?

LB: No. This is a terrific game. Classic. And btw he won’t get credited but I swear Eberle tipped that last goal.

76. Coach pb9617 says:

LT, I don’t think it a terrific game at all. The tending is really bad – rebounds flying everywhere and the defensemen are just spectators. I guess it’s good if you like shinny…

77. Lord Bob says:

I’m an Oilers fan and was born in the mid-eighties. Of course I like shinny.

78. PunjabiOil says:

Prendergast has this to say recently regarding Nash

Was I surprised he didn’t make it? Not really,” said Prendergast. “He was a longshot. They’ve got (John) Tavares and (Zach) Boychuk as their top two guys, and could move (Angelo) Esposito. Riley can’t play the wing.

“Riley had a good second day of camp, but was ordinary in the other ones and you can’t have that at a short camp. Not playing enough games at Cornell hurts him.”

It’s no secret the Oilers feel Nash isn’t progressing at Cornell. They don’t feel that school plays enough games (Nash has played in only eight so far this season), but even if Nash were to leave after his sophomore season, putting him in the American Hockey League for a short time for a trial-run might not work, either. He’s pretty slight

79. Julian says:

This Canada-US game is amazing, I may not bother with the Flames-Oilers game afterwards… Anyone remember that Canucks – Oil game from 05-06 that ended up 7-6 Edm after the teams traded goals the entire game? Last time I saw a game like that… this shit is killing me.

80. Coach pb9617 says:

How in the world is Esposito still a junior?

81. Coach pb9617 says:

This Wilson fellow is Eric Cole.

82. Lord Bob says:

Dear dude in the second row who took a picture with your crappy camera instead of throwing your hat when Tavares scored: what is wrong with you?

That was a beauty game. Junior hockey at its finest.

84. Coach pb9617 says:

Oh for Pete. I forgot how holdy and interferey this team is. God they suck.

Hey Grebs! No acid tonight!

85. Bruce says:

Can we call that a Garbage goal?

86. Lord Bob says:

Well, this is a nice start. I can get onboard with this.

87. Ozzieoiler says:

Happy New Year Calgary. 1-0 Oilers!

Well it’s New Year here. Haha.

88. Lord Bob says:

Can’t get on board with this so much.

89. Coach pb9617 says:

Oh Grebs.

Acid tonight?

90. Bruce says:

So much for that. Terrible shift by Visnovsky. He got owned twice by Conroy behind the net.

91. Lord Bob says:

Next up: Nilsson gets benched for not scoring pretty enough.

92. Bruce says:

Edmonton native scores for Calgary, Calgary native replies for Edmonton. 2-1.

93. quain says:

Hey, I’ve got Edmonton and the under in this game, let’s just stop it at 2-1. C’mon guys, please?

This is going to end 8-7, I just know it.

I think the refs missed a trip there but then caught up when Pre-historic man used his club behind the net.

Brule rolls for a short shift with Horc and Ethan. Interesting group of skills.

96. Lord Bob says:

Brodziak, Staios, Souray, and Moreau out to kill the penalty early. I’ve seen slow lines before, but never one that was actually motionless before.

97. Coach pb9617 says:

During the 1st intermission yesterday, I was KOed by the flu. Now, I’m couch-ridden at my parents house as my house hosts a New Year’s Eve party.

Wouldn’t it be nifty if Souray could fake a shot and walk around the blocker?

98. Lord Bob says:

Roloson would have got the interference call if MacTavish hadn’t lost the dressing room!

Pat Quinn would have gotten the call. Hell, he gets his players out of the PB 8 seconds early.

100. Lord Bob says:

I hereby christen any combination of Moreau and Brule the Doing Time Line. Maybe have Brule play centre and Stortini on RW?

Pardy’s a pretty nice player.

Oilers stopped playing somewhere in there. First time all season though.

103. andy grabia says:

I can’t take any team with Zach Stortini on it seriously. Or any organization that considers him a Top 12 forward. I just can’t.

104. andy grabia says:

Sorry. “Zack.”

105. quain says:

Iginla is a likeable son of a bitch.

Hey Andy, Happy New Year. That period really points out the difference imo between the two organizations in terms of procurement. Flames can afford (because of Iginla) to run some street tough role players out there but they also seem to have added some nice offense too (Bourque, Glencross).

Seems to me they need another center though.

107. Bruce says:

Hey Andy, that’s pretty harsh. Zack’s been playing well. Some of you guys need to forget about appearances and watch the darn game.

108. Lord Bob says:

This is why this team needs Rourke, back. He served to distract us from the fact that we were stuck with Zac Stortini.

Leave Zeke alone.

110. oilerdago says:

Hey, nobody better pick on Zane.

111. andy grabia says:

Some of you guys need to forget about appearances and watch the darn game.

You’re right, Bruce. I base all of this on his face. That’s why I loved Smytty so much. He looked like George Clooney.

Happy New Year to you, too, LT. And to everyone. Even Bruce. ;)

112. Dennis says:

1: Pardy’s a nice fellow as well, LT. I played ball against him this summer and the guy’s alright.

2. I can’t believe the Oilers gave up a PPG.

113. quain says:

The Edmonton Oilers: Shawn Horcoff, a fat guy, nine guys who can barely play forward, and our albatross, Zell Stortini.

MY LOINS SWELL WITH THE PRIDE.

114. oilerdago says:

Quain, you meant Zorro right?

115. Bruce says:

Hey Andy, Happy New Year to you too. Did you notice that MacT used the 43-51-46 line after a timeout, against the Iginla line? And that they were out there again in the last minute of the period with the score tied for a worry-free, 40-second shift? And that they were matched up against the Heatley-Spezza-Alfredsson line in the third period also with the score tied last night? And that they played multiple shifts against the Sedins in that nail-biting win in Vancouver on Boxing Day? And that the world didn’t come to an end on any of those occasions?

116. Coach pb9617 says:

Does Grebs have to be on the ice for all goals scored tonight?

117. Coach pb9617 says:

What happened to Brule’s legs? He looks like he walks in sludge.

118. Lord Bob says:

Zebediah Stortni is a good energy player, but that’s all. And we’re relying on him to be a lot more than a good energy player. That’s the trouble.

119. Bruce says:

LB: Are we? Really?

120. Lord Bob says:

If we’re throwing him out against the Sedins and the Iginlas, then yes.

121. Bruce says:

Pardy’s a nice fellow

Makes a pretty good screen, too.

122. Kris says:

Zardoz Stortini appears to really suck, but in reality he’s just not very good.

123. Coach pb9617 says:

Oh fun. A penalty kill.

Keep 18 and 67 on the bench please thanks.

124. Lord Bob says:

That was a soft freakin’ penalty. It was a rough collision into the boards but I think it was more an accident than any action on Gagner’s fault.

Still, this is one area where I guess I’d rather see the refs err on the side of discipline. Or, even better, institute no-touch icing.

125. oilerdago says:

When do we try Zoltan Stortini on the PK?

126. Lord Bob says:

I can’t decide if Erik Cole just made an amazingly heads-up play by batting the puck over the goal with a high stick knowing that if he didn’t the Flames could go the other way on a big rush, or if he was trying to knock it in and just sucked.

127. Bruce says:

That’s 7 minors for Gagner in the last 6 games. Straying into Chpper territory.

Regehr tasted the same panel of the end boards that he drove Hemsky’s head into last year. Glad to see him get up, though.

128. oilerdago says:

That was a very nice shift by Cole. Worked his tail off.

129. Bruce says:

The old reliable three-heart-attack PK.

130. quain says:

I don’t see why we don’t penalty kill with Cogliano and Nilsson on the opposite blue line. The players don’t actually prevent goals, it’s more the goalie and acts of God… we might as well be in position to take advantage.

131. Lord Bob says:

Here we go again.

Lord Bob’s drink of the game: the Black Russian.

two shots vodka
    one shot Kahlua

Combine on the rocks. Drink rapidly. Pour another one to make the agony of an Oilers PK go away.

132. Coach pb9617 says:

I think Zarley Stortini should be optioned to the ECHL.

133. Bruce says:

Shit, another penalty, and me haven’t refilled my nitro prescription.

Let’s try Dr. Zhivago on the PK. Nothing else works.

135. Coach pb9617 says:

Amazingly, he was as close batting the puck out of the at an open net as he was shooting normally at an open net.

136. Lord Bob says:

Zarley! Knew I’d missed one. Somewhere, Zach Zalapski is throwing a high-ball glass at his television.

Wow. That was a helluva line drive there. Garry Maddox would have gotten to it, maybe Devon White too.

138. Hemsky is a gangsta says:

That penalty box reminds me of a game in Vancouver when Peca and Pronger were serving minors at the same time…lot of money in there…

139. Bruce says:

Have we won a faceoff on the PK yet this calendar year?

So if the Oilers kill this 5-on-3…hahahahahahaha..

I tried. Damn it would have been funny.

141. Lord Bob says:

God. That was horrifying.

142. Scarlett says:

Way to clear the puck out Staios…god you’re a moron!

143. Coach pb9617 says:

Oilers would have killed that penalty if Ziggy Stortini was waived.

Why don’t we try Renee Zeilwegger on the PK?

145. Bruce says:

Souray takes a hit in the corner a la Messier. I think he’s just a tad pissed just now.

146. Coach pb9617 says:

Zamir Stortini and his pan flute might be better on the PK than whatever Buchberger has tried thus far.

147. Coach pb9617 says:

That big giant fatass is due, ya know.

148. oilerdago says:

At least Zeppo Stortini can get in the way of shots.

They should play Eddie Zosky here.

150. Bruce says:

Scarlett: i was saying the same thing until I saw how Steve got the puck … by eating it. Would have been better served to eat it in the corner as well. If he’s on his backhand, the puck ain’t leaving the zone and that’s a fact.

151. Lord Bob says:

We need Invader Zim Stortini and Brodziak to grab Penner by the arms in the Oilers zone, start skating towards Kiprusoff, release him around the slot at top speed, and have him barrel into Kipper like an artillery shell.

Penner would smear Kiprusoff across the plexiglass. That would be a big plus!

152. Coach pb9617 says:

Who wants to bet against that guy in the “Portfolio Review” commercials being a Canucks fan? The Half-trench, spiffy scarf and purse is a dead giveaway.

Zamfir would have put that in.

154. Coach pb9617 says:

Somebody get Cole a chicken to sacrifice.

155. Bruce says:

C’mon Cole, leave it alone. Everything you touch turns to iron.

156. oilerdago says:

A chicken? That is not faith, that is desperation!

Cole’s have a hard time hitting National League Pitching. Fewer curves.

158. Coach pb9617 says:

Warren Zevon was right. The shit has hit the fan.

159. Bruce says:

That breakout was a complete fluster puck.

Bad choice by Gagner there.

161. oilerdago says:

Roli wins a gold globe with more saves like that.

I thought Penner was the gold globe.

163. oilerdago says:

Meant a gold globe. Zebedee Stortini got in the way of that.

164. Bruce says:

Icing with Cogliano out there. Uh-oh.

Zechariah needs to play more.

166. Coach pb9617 says:

Grebs has been on the ice for 5 of the 6 goals tonight.

167. oilerdago says:

Let’s try gold glove. Time to trade in the digits for a new pair.

This team has no Pele.

169. Coach pb9617 says:

The effort hasn’t been horrible considering the circumstances, but if they didn’t have Zbigniew Stortini, they’d be up by at least two.

Zebulon Stortini is faster than I remember.

171. Bruce says:

Last night we couldn’t get the lead, tonight we can’t hold the lead.

On the bright side, repetition is paying off. Aftera brutal 38% performance in the faceoff circle last night, the Oilers have improved all the way to 39% tonight.

The penalty kill is a bright spot too, battling the Flames PP to a standstill. Both units are 2 for 4.

I think we’re all thinking it so I’ll say it: the Oilers blow this in the third.

Book it.

173. Dennis says:

Souray has to stop being such a dummy when we’re on the PK. As of late he has quite the knack for putting us down two men and fuck knows we’re in shit even when we’re down just the one.

I wish someone would just admit how flat-out broken our PK is.

The Flames will be easier to grab a point off if the sheepherder doesn’t return but all bets are off if we take another penalty.

Honestly, it’s madness. We need two guys: both have to be able to kill penalties and one of them has to be able to win a faceoff.

174. oilerdago says:

Maybe it’s me, but I see a much better effort tonight and they get a point, losing in OT.

175. Bruce says:

Grebs has been on the ice for 5 of the 6 goals tonight.

Horcoff has been on the ice for 3 of the 6 goals tonight. Calgary’s 3.

On the good hand, Row-bert has also been on the ice for 3 goals tonight. Our 3.

176. Lord Bob says:

Horcoff’s playing crummy. Zenith Stortini should move to the first line.

177. slipper says:

How many points in the standings does 17 powerplay goals against equate to? It must be whatever the difference between Edmonton and Calgary is right now.

178. oilerdago says:

No, Zephaniah Stortini stays right where he is.

179. quain says:

Pat Quinn would’ve willed that puck into the net. MacT just can’t telekinetically help this team.

180. oilerdago says:

I take my prediction back after that brutal attempt at a clear. They should all be shot for that.

181. slipper says:

I think Penner ate a bucket of chicken before the game.

182. Lord Bob says:

Correct me if I’m wrong, but does a glove pass not just require the puck happening to htit your glove but an actual deliberate passing motion?

183. Bruce says:

Chicago got a goal just like that two weeks ago. That one got reviewd, and it counted.

Let’s hope.

184. Coach pb9617 says:

Well, at least Grebs won’t be on the ice for this goal

185. Lord Bob says:

Grebeshkov is absolutely tripping balls right now.

186. Coach pb9617 says:

Pisani and Reason’r.

187. Lord Bob says:

Okay. We need some sort of blood sacrifice to the hockey gods. We need a dog. A goat. Maybe some neighbourhood children you don’t like very much. Something.

188. Coach pb9617 says:

Moreau…send him to the A.

189. slipper says:

God dammit this stupid freaking dumb ass flipping penalty goal sucking PK argh@!

190. Bruce says:

Moreau and Cole played that like bleeding poofters. Weak sauce.

191. Coach pb9617 says:

You don’t mess with Zohan Stortini.

192. Coach pb9617 says:

Perhaps they should stop drinking Jobu’s rum.

193. Bruce says:

My problem is this: during his career Craig MacTavish was noted for three things: faceoffs, shot blocking, and penalty killing. So where in the Sweet Fuck is any of that on his team?

194. Dennis says:

It is absolute fucking garbage that the PK continues as is.

195. Coach pb9617 says:

Can Tambellini just dismiss an assistant? Or tell Mactavish to stop delegating?

196. slipper says:

They should make some sort of deal where they concede two goals right off the bat in return for no minor calls all game. Some teams might even consider it. If they get less than 4 powerplays they’re only guaranteed 1 goal. I mean, cripes!

Achilles heel eh Ferraro. Sometimes your job is too easy.

197. Scarlett says:

Roli (among others) is playing like crap!

198. Lord Bob says:

The Oilers are already at a New Years’ party in their head.

Best of luck to the Calgary Flames in 2009.

199. Coach pb9617 says:

No one can criticize anything to do with this team except the PK until the PK is fixed.

There’s just no way to be constructive, no way to honestly critique when they walk in the door down two.

200. Scarlett says:

Even though they’ve played like crap most of the year, they are still only 2 pts out of a playoff spot. Shocking.

Newer Comments »