Oilers at Kings, G25/08-09

This is Harry Howell. He looked 90 when he was a rookie and by the time he hit the left coast Harry looked ancient. He was a top drawer defender for a long time, won a Norris.

The most amazing stat in regard to Harry is that despite playing 1411 regular season games in the NHL, he skated in only 38 playoff games. In his entire career, Howell played in no more than 6 post-season games in any spring. He began his NHL career in 1952 and ended it in 1973, making the playoffs in ’56, ’57, ’58, ’62, ’67, ’68, ’69 and ’70.

He played in 34 playoff games for the Rangers and 4 for the Oakland Seals.

Harry Howell scored in his first NHL game. “I scored on my first shot on goal. It was a backhand from the blueline that went over Harry Lumley’s shoulder.”

I picked this photo of Harry Howell because those Los Angeles Kings colors are incredible and purple is my daughter’s favorite color.

Oilers played very well against Dallas, albeit against a banged up team playing the second of a back-to-back. The opportunity is there for the Oilers to go on a nice run (with San Jose an understandable bump in the road) and they certainly need it based on the last few games. Despite too many “L’s” they have not lost sight of the NW leaders (Minnesota is stepping out but Vancouver was unable to join them) and a 7-1 run here before Christmas would put them right back in the game.

Edmonton lacks the consistency to run the table like that, and a more reasonable expectation is something like 4-3. Anything less than that and one suspects there’ll be changes, possibly big changes.

514 Responses to "Oilers at Kings, G25/08-09"

« Older Comments
  1. Kev says:

Souray and Moreau just over the flu according to CHED/Rod.

2. slipper says:

Is it too early to call for the lacrosse thingy?

3. Chris says:

Personally Jonathan if Gagner comes back and plays like Gagner has been playing this year its not worth breaking up the Pouliot/Schremp experiment.

4. Jonathan says:

Hey – play Gilbert at forward! He crashes the net and has size!

I’m certain to be alone on this but yes, Gagner would draw back in for me.

6. Bob Arctor says:

Did anyone see this on the LA feed.
    (go to 28 seconds in)

Cookies?…Vote for Lubo

7. Jonathan says:

Schremp ought to buy Visnovsky dinner tomorrow.

8. Showerhead says:

Cole’s footspeed vs. Schremp’s footspeed: a lesson in hilarious.

9. Coach pb9617 says:

“johnnies on the spot” are like RsBI in baseball.

Cole is, what, a little bit faster, than Schremp? :)

10. Jonathan says:

I think you’re alone, LT. I like Gagner, but I’d be happy to HS him a game and see what happened.

11. Chris says:

I might be overly high on the Pouliot Schremp tandem as its sort of like finding twenty bucks in your jeans. They had both been written off as useful parts to various degrees and suddenly the potential that we’d always heard of appears to be there.

12. Bruce says:

Does Brown have the triple double yet? Fuck, what a monster.

13. Jonathan says:

Intense. Hemsky’s something else and Tom Gilbert’s got some brains.

Also, I think the LA shooter saw Garon moving off his post. Garon barely got back in time.

14. doritogrande says:

I hope Pete Peeters hasn’t coached the shootout out of Garon’s repetoire.

Anyone for a Johnny on the spot drinking game next week?

16. Showerhead says:

Schremp, anyone?

17. Coach pb9617 says:

I like the fact that Penner is expressionless.

Oh yeah. Have to use Schremp.

19. Bruce says:

LT: I agree. Gagner in, Strudwick out. But do not mess with 13-78-88 until we see what we got. So far, so interesting.

20. doritogrande says:

Wasn’t Horcoff pretty effective in shootouts?

21. Jonathan says:

78 is the interesting pick here. Let’s see how it plays.

22. doritogrande says:

Fuck. Trade for LaBarbara tomorrow.

23. Jonathan says:

Very nice save on a Gagner-esque move from Schremp.

24. Showerhead says:

You know, that could have been in. Not proveable in, but it’s a possibility.

25. doritogrande says:

and LT just orgasms.

26. YKOil says:

A couple of pennies to toss on the pile just because revisionism on the boards/blogs is one of the few things that universally peeves me off.

No one ever said Mike Johnson was the be all and end all. What they said was:

– we need a defensively responsible winger/forward
    – we need him relatively cheap
    – not having such a player is much worse than having
    – johnson is a good bet and he fills those categories well

Hence the call to sign him – as much because there were few others out there like him so there isn’t a lot of choice.

And so we see where Traktor loses all respect from many who come here. We KNOW what he is saying is bull. Yet he is the one telling us we’re idiots.

Is it fair to say, in hindsight, that signing Mike Johnson may NOT have been a good move (given the year he ended up having) but at the moment – when the discussion was pertinent to the time – he WAS amongst the best options and the team missed an easy opportunity to take advantage of it.

The value of a moment, or decision in this case, is determined in the moment it is made.

The result is what comes after.

I am glad LT answered the KP/JDD as forcefully as he did – I don’t have to now. Props to Jonathan as well.

Now. ummm… Goilers?!?

27. Jonathan says:

And what do ya know.

28. Showerhead says:

Gorgeous from Pouliot. Even remembered to raise it :)

29. Chris says:

Who are you and what have you done with the real Pouliot?

30. doritogrande says:

Thank you Ales.

31. Jonathan says:

I think Hemsky saw how Pouliot scored.

32. Showerhead says:

Wow, that’s calmer than I’d dare to be. That kid’s got balls, to be sure.

33. quain says:

I’m not going to lie, I was hoping Pouliot missed/O’Sullivan scored so that we could see Hemsky go.

34. Bruce says:

Do you think the book on LaBarbera is Deke? Holy shit, were those guys dangling.

35. Chris says:

Hemsky has the killer instinct this season.

36. bookie says:

Yay? We beat the Kings!

37. Coach pb9617 says:

Coach pb9617 said…

Now they come with Jason La Barbarian?

Oilers will win 6-3 and he’ll get the loss. Watch.

Damn close though ;)

38. Jonathan says:

The third was good, and I enjoy the shootout, despite the fact that it’s a shameless gimick.

Good night, all.

39. Showerhead says:

Wild one with a good ending. I’ll be home tomorrow too for the exam induced double – look forward to exchanging thoughts with you folks again. Night.

Pouliot is on track for 10 goals. Take that, Parise!!!

41. Phil says:

Did Debrusk just say that Schremp “uses his speed” to get to open areas?

Those damn 3 goal leads…

Anyway, I hope MacT lets Garon roll a bit here. I think he’s been pretty good, but needs a few more games to knock the rust off. He

That Brown kid is nifty…

42. HBomb says:

I don’t know why anyone would bitch about missing out on Parise with respect to Pouliot.

Not at least when they could be bitching about Getzlaf or Mike Richards, two guys I’d MUCH rather have than JP’s son.

Anything we get out of San Jose tomorrow night would be considered “house money”. That place is a fucking deathtrap for the visitors this year.

That being said, you KNOW Roloson’s going to stand on his head and the Oilers are going to pull one out of their ass. This hockey team is stupid that way. Lose home games to the Leafs and Kings, but beat the Sharks IN San Jose. That’s why I love ‘em.

43. bookie says:

Does anyone know the story of Garon and his personal goalie coach? I have not heard the details.

maybe someone has a link?

44. Kev says:

Way to go boys.
    And good on you Schremp; all that hard work and determination seems to have paid off. I’ll be watching you with more interest now.
    Okay Brule, let’s see what you got.

45. Phil says:

Also, Cogs is on track for 27 goals. If he can do it, I think that’s pretty significant for a second year player.

46. Chris says:

You could say that Pouliot is on pace for 62 goals so long as he’s on a line with Schremp LT.

I remember the day they drafted Schremp I was livid the Oilers took Dubnyk at #14. It was an HF online thingy and there had to be 20 people online at the time in some kind of chat thingy and a bunch of us spat (speeds had already r-u-n-o-f-t to throw up) because Schremp was still out there.

When they got him later in the 1st round it was fabulous. Then comes the big OHL season and life is good but his AHL debut was disappointing plus his footspeed blah blah blah which being a math guy I don’t pay too close attention to but MacT is way smarter than I am and he had some issues.

But credit the kid he seems to have ironed out the wrinkles. Too soon to tell for sure but these have been 2 quality games.

48. Dennis says:

I’m watching this game and my bag’s shriveled hoping we can at least get to OT and it just dawns on me: someday just never comes.

It almost came in ’06 but here we are a cap team and we’re still fucking struggling to get a point against a team of babies.

It’s great to get the win and all nice to see 78 get a goal and get in position for another couple of scoring opps and nice to see that 88′s more than just a rumor.

But it just never seems to come together for the Oil and LT talks about how we’re always out of balance and this year it’s the lack of PKers.

I’m not saying 78′s any hell on the PK but I think you gotta give him and 13 a more prominent role and if that doesn’t work then you have to staff the 4th line with vets who can kill penalties. Otherwise it’s all pretty much gonna be pointless.

49. Ender says:

My shootout superstition is up to 19-1. Ridiculous coincidence or magic? You decide.

50. Bruce says:

Penner smiles and shoots down Principe all in one motion. Gotta love it.

51. bookie says:

Dennis – I have been feeling that way since they drafted Jason Bonsiegnier, so don’t feel bad.

The reality is that the Oilers are one team out of 30 NHL teams. Even if we just go by random chance, the Oilers would win one cup every 30 years.

The thing about life is that you have to totally ignore reality and logic and just accept your team (whatever sport) with FAITH. you must believe that (insert team here) is special and unique. No other team has the ‘togetherness’ of this team (boys on the bus). They are from a special city (our fans are awesome during the playoffs), and so on. You just have to believe, because thats what it is all about.

There is someone in St Louis that feels the way you do, and someone in LA, and so on.

So my advice is to put away your rational brain and just breath deeply in everything that is Oiler. Live and die with every goal. And every once in a while lose faith for an evening, a week, or even a month. In the end, your faith will get you and drag you back in.

Someday you will be sitting with your grandkids as the Oil win the cup and all of your dreams will have come true!

52. Dennis says:

Bookie: I believe the line stops here so I’ll just be sitting around with a few cats;)

Bruce: what did Penner say? Was it something about cake and ice cream??

53. slipper says:

Entering tonight’s game MacTavish had chosen to put 13 on the ice for exactly twice as many attack zone draws than offensive zone draws (more offensive zone draws than Horcoff). I think the reason for that is that Cogliano can’t win face-offs and he’s a serious liability in his own end.

I don’t see how that tranlsates to 4v5, but I guess you never know until you try.

54. doritogrande says:

Wow, I actually read through the vitriol. Good job on the hatorade guys.

If you’re still here Showerhead, Poisson distribution is in fact a part of the STAT2000 class, and no you won’t have to worry about it for STAT1000. It’s essentially a variation of the binomial distribution where a variable, lambda is used to some degree that I really should have studied better. There’s also some cool factorial stuff in there.

55. PunjabiOil says:

Amusing game thread. Always nice when YKOIL (my favourite poster) makes a rare appearance.

Penner is +9 already. That has to count for something. He’s been playing like his pre-contract self, and it’s really good to see; the Third line looks fantastic, and they will be creating mis-matches on home ice throughout the year.

Cogliano has been the best of the kids – that little fucker loves to get his nose dirty, and battles in the corner.

That Pouliot kid has arrived. Great player – but something we knew all along.

It’d be great if they can steal a point in SJ. After tommorow: 8 home games, 18 road games. We’re in good shape if we do something with it [read: go on a run].

Not sure what to think of Garon. Struggled early on with juicy rebounds, but settled in the third. It will be interesting how the situation is handled. It would probably be wise not to trade either goalie until the trade deadline.

56. Dennis says:

Slipper: Well the BTN numbers from last year certainly say that Cogs is worth a PK look and that’s good enough for me. Especially when the alternative has been hoping that the PK at least gives up the ghost early in the infraction so we have more time to try and come back at EV.

57. mc79hockey says:

This is like the perfect end to the thread.

58. Asiaoil says:

Showed up late to the party but not surprised some people are getting fed up with the latest Oiler watering hole on the internet strip. It’s no different than clubs boys and girls – the “in crowd” shows up and makes a new place happen – but sooner or later the suburban posers show up and the glitter crowd moves on. Vic is Paris and Traktor is Sandy from the burbs.

Although Tractor’s Cogliano prediction makes me giggle even though I thought he was full of shit as well. Just goes to prove that hockey stats are great for understanding what happened last night but can make a fool of you if you think they can reliably predict what will happen tomorrow.

But let’s be honest – Vic and the boys will never stay in their own private site – they need the attention since it’s zero fun being the smartest kid on the block when there’s no one to see it :)

59. Ribs says:

Well, this is the team I think we all signed on to watch this season. They’re all over the place. Up, down, east, west, who knows what will happen. I’m just happy they landed on top this game.

Some awesome posts in this thread. Great read. The last one that stuck out to me was coach’s..”I like the fact that Penner is expressionless.” I like that too. The dirt-eating smirk doesn’t seem to be there any more. He’s playing well. Another good game from him.

Who are these refs? It’s like the Oilers just pulled into Redwater in their schoolbus and LA’s coaches nephew is reffing the thing. The faceoff drops were very inconsistent (Oilers did well though!).

Poulie continues his rampage. I was calling for two points but a goal and a shootout score will do. A star is born? Well, maybe that’s a bit much. *Every time he changes his name he seems to start going.

Schremp was good again. This is the guy I saw in London so many years ago…where did he go? I don’t think I’ve seen a forward drop pass before this game. Wow.

Hemsky was the shiniest star on the ice tonight. The guy is just amazing. It looked like he strapped on his jets this game.

Garon looked very shaky. Luck was his best friend on numerous occasions this night. unless it’s just the long layoff, there must be something we don’t know here (injury?).

Visnovsky was all over the puck. Making moves, dishing off well, great game from him. I’m very happy to see some fire in him.

Smid is going to be out how many games now?

…Which reminds me of the Hemsky hit. Doughty punches him in the head? What the he77? Penner skates on as if nothing happened. Someone has to jump in. We shouldn’t need to have Ethan Moreau on the top line for someone to step in there.

So what, shootout vs. the Sharks next game? Sounds about right. Of course, the Oilers HORRID PK will probably silence any chance of that happening. My god are they horrible. Nice shot from Stoll…ugh…

60. Dennis says:

I swear that we still haven’t seen the best of 78. Here he is showing some O acumen will getting to play with real players – My Stars, who knew!! – but last year when he began his last tour of duty begging in March in Colu the fucker was Young Money in the zones other than the O.

Way more aware and effective than say Mssrs. 12, 13 and 89.

61. YKOil says:

Nice to see Pouliot doing well. I am a charter member of the club and while it was disappointing to realize (yes, it was a while ago) that he would never be a guy to drive a line it has been frustrating to know that he is a complement-to-the-line guy who has been getting sfa to complement.

So good for him.

As for Schremp. I was one of the Dubnyk at 14 guys LT was talking about and I remember being happy with Schremp at 25 even though I didn’t think he would amount to much (I though Lowe should have traded up for Meszaros).

Been putting together some solid games so good for him. I don’t think he will be a guy to drive a line (either) but he IS showing he can play – and I didn’t think that (so much) a week ago. I was pegging him for a Lupul with better puckhandling skills… could still be right but the results are saying otherwise.

62. Bruce says:

Gene: How do you like the way the three of you continue to play so well together?

Dustin: (looks up from the mic to see if the stupid question is on the level, actually laughs): Good question! (smile broadens) I like it a lot …

Gene: Better than the alternative.

Dustin: Better than not playing.

63. jon k says:

Dennis: The problem with putting 78 or 13 on the PK so far I think has been their faceoff work. Pouliot has posted a 45% on the season and Cogliano an abysmal 37.9%.

MacT doesn’t strike me as the type to put either on an important PK even as the second forward, in case Horcoff or Brodziak gets waved out. I remember in 05-06 during the run he had a penchant for running important PKs with two faceoff capable centremen, though the specific combinations elude me at the moment.

64. Dennis says:

I LIKE that 27′s a surly bastard with a good sense of humour who’s all about the practical jokes.

I DON’T like that I always have to be wondering what the guy’s eating and/or if Alex Steen’s around the corner to knock him off the puck.

65. Dennis says:

Jon K: We had Horc/Reasoner as left-handed draw men and Stoll/Peca as right-handed draw men.

66. PunjabiOil says:

Apparently Brule got called up because he has been suspended for 4 games in the AHL.

A suspended AHL player can play in the NHL.

Go figure.

67. hunter1909 says:

Whats hilarious is white trash yankee Schremp called on to become the saviour of this annual MacT inspired gongshow.

Finally. Oilers get a true individual that doesn’t blow at playing the game, something I haven’t seen here since Anderson left.

68. Kris says:

What do people think about Garon’s 4 goals against?

I’m not sure if I’d fault him on any of the four. True, he gave up rebounds a bit too easily, but the problem on each goal seemed to be that Kings players were left uncovered.

Or am I looking at Garon’s play through an inverted Pete Peeters lens?

I wish there were less subjective, more quantitative ways to judge goalie performance. Or are there such ways and I -like always- am ignorant?

69. Ender says:

I’d say all the goals that went in tonight were goals the goalies would want back. Brutal rebounds on nearly every one. The only one that there’s any question on is Penner’s goal, but realistically Penner was close enough to LaBarbara that LaBarbera should have picked that puck out of the air with his blocker.

70. hunter1909 says:

Jonathan: I don’t understand why you think I attacked you personally for your views on Schremp. The fact is, I don’t even know who you are, since have only been coming in here for a few weeks. There must be dozens of posters in here who I also don’t know from a gopher hole in a field, and so when someone worries about what I wrote, in particular, I don’t really get it. What does worry me is reading your words and you either knowingly or unknowingly put in a false quote, supposedly of mine, saying words to the effect that I don’t rate Schremp. That’s morally henious, and in law just openly slanderous.

I can make a fool of myself about as well as anyone, and so I don’t need any help.

I don’t mind admitting I have a lot of problems writing in a blog. A chatroom it’s easy to argue in, and in person it’s easy to size up the situation, but in a blog you get the regulars who think they’re entitled to special dispensation(they aren’t) then bully anyone with the temerity to stand up to their comfy situation. Like jail, I’d imagine.

I just happen to have been forced to witness the pathetic Oilers for a little too long for me to care to count the years. Delusional(see positive) fans think I’m the devil incarnate, or worse, a fool. What they should be doing instead is worrying about why their Edmonton media writes about the Oilers like a fucking game day program, instead of actually reporting on anything that really goes down.

71. Black Dog says:

Oilers Win! Oilers Win!

Hey, where did everybody go?

Oh.

72. Schitzo says:

I’m sure Cogs would hate it, but when Gagner and Nilsson get healthy I’m not sure I’d break up the “don’t call us the kid line”.

Nilsson with Cole and Brodziak, Gagner with Moreau and Brule/Reddox/Etc

73. Schitzo says:

Black Dog – how can you tell the oilers fans with babies in the house?

They post at 7AM on saturdays :(

My kids are older now, I miss those Saturday mornings when they’d wake me up by dancing on my head. Now I go to bed at midnight and tell them to turn off the lights.

:-)

75. Schitzo says:

The parenting equivalent of the blind drop-pass? Teaching a toddler you can get the Barney song on youtube.

My laptop has been playing it for a half hour and counting.

76. Coach pb9617 says:

The footspeed thing is still apparent.

77. Coach pb9617 says:

Someone needs to take a look at comps, but I’m pretty sure that the PK problems this year center around Staios and Strudwick. The forwards are a mess for sure, but those two are worse defenders than I can remember for the Oilers on the PK.

78. Coach pb9617 says:

We talked about that last week – why can’t 13 play wing for Brodziak or Horcoff?

79. Coach pb9617 says:

Ribs — I’m not sure how to take it yet, but I really like it. There are still enormous issues [PK, 3rd D pairing, Mac's blender] with this club, but the little things about certain players are starting to show up.

Smid’s willingness to do the dirty work and make the dirty little play. It’s like he’s been paired with Chelios for a year and understands when to get rowdy after a whistle, when to crosscheck someone in the low back away from the play, when to facewash.

Penner’s expressionless face. He has the same look whether he scores, takes a penalty or buries someone in the corner. It reminds me of the Red Wings in the playoffs and I like that. Since he’s been reuinted with Horcoff and Hemsky, he’s found someone to pass to and looks like a bonafide player. Yeah, he still stinks in his own end [*sigh* and on the PK] but in the offensive zone, he is the perfect a-cump- uh, company-accompluh- uh, the fella that plays the gui-tar for Hemsky’s ice ballet. Those two are the reason that the puck never seems to leave the offensive zone when SC1 is on the ice. Honestly, I don’t mind that offer sheet at all.

Excepting last night, Gilbert’s calm touch under pressure. He has a sense as to when he can take a stutter step, when he has to spin, and when he can squeeze through a hit or a forecheck.

Pouliot’s willingness to bang. When he’s on a line that has some similar ability or better, he’s got no problem doing the dirty work and he showed it again last night.

Yeah, it took their coach 20 games to put the line out that everyone thought would be together last June, and yeah if only he could throw Bucky in a giant hole in his basement with a bottle of lotion in a basket so that he could fix the PK, and yeah, he seems to have a mancrush on Staios and Strudwick, but there are some things out there that are going to let you fall in love with this team all over again.

80. Black Dog says:

schitzo – yeah that’s the truth

the two oldest aren’t too bad – up at 7am usually – and the baby is sleeping five to six hours through now so we’re getting there

should have our life back in … how old are your kids, LT?

;)

81. Coach pb9617 says:

Nilsson with Cole and Brodziak, Gagner with Moreau

There’s really no reason to mess with 18-51-26 as long as they are getting chances and 18 is staying out of the box. None at all.

Let them run Reddox – Gagner – Nilsson on the 4th line as an energy line if things are working. Another Earl Weaver premise: don’t screw with what is working.

82. HBomb says:

This from Hunter1909. Would the phrase “truer words have never been spoken” fit here, or would “that’s an understatement” fit better?

Anyways, after a morning viewing of a post-game thread from last night on one of the fan-sites (and having to read the obligatory “Horcoff sucks because” comments, STILL), I come here and I see too much sense being made, even with a bit of “white noise”.

Good show folks. As usual.

83. HBomb says:

How long until Pisani’s back?

Penner-Horcoff-Hemsky
    Nilsson-Gagner-Cole
    Moreau-Brodziak-Pisani
    Cogliano-Pouliot-Schremp

Ideally, I’d flip 88 and 26 and have Cole with Cogliano (not to mention a 3rd line that might be capable of playing some non-trivial minutes in terms of QUALCOMP)……but damn, that’s a young but talented lineup….

84. Coach pb9617 says:

Eh, if you’re going with Horpensky versus power, then stick with what works:

27-10-83
    78-13-88
    18-51-26
    12-89-34

Since Fernando is some kind of ES and PK guru, it can’t hurt the kids that are struggling the most at ES right now to play with him. And I’m sure as soon as someone struggles for four minutes, Mac blends anyway.

85. HBomb says:

Coach: A return to the old “Fernie’s Kids” combo. Interesting.

For me, I really want to see Cole with some other offensive players, specifically Cogliano. That’s my motivation. But your idea has merit too…..

Oh yeah: under my scenario, my extras are Brule and MacIntyre, as the goalie situation will hopefully have been resolved by then.

BD: 14 and 12. Extra long weekend so they get to stay up (schools in our town apparently have very few 5 day weeks anymore).

87. Lord Bob says:

Sorry that I missed the thread; I was at work during the game. Looks like it was a good one, for certain definitions of good.

So, how about that Rob “Over a Point Per Game This Season in the NHL” Schremp! I was hoping to see the lacrosse move in the shootout, but even though he’s over a point per game this season in the NHL, I imagine that if he’d tried that in his sixth career NHL game Craig MacTavish would have kicked him in the testicles so hard he could play for the Edmonton Chimos.

Also, for all the highlights of it, I’m not sure I’ve ever seen him actually score with that thing.

Even though he is averaging over a point per game in the NHL this season.

Also, Brule is, what, four games away from becoming eligible for waivers? Seems probable that Tambellini just has him up to skate with the big boys during his suspension and he’s not even going to get to look longingly at an actual game situation before going back down to Springfield.

And that pisses me off. If we can’t make room for a guy like him with the kind of crap team we have, what’s wrong with us?

88. Lord Bob says:

You’re from St. Albert, aren’t you, LT? So am I, so I say this with all sincerity: where the crap was that when I was going to school?!? :P

89. Schitzo says:

Coach – 12-89-85 would definitely be a non-traditional 4th line. They’d need sheltering, but they might be able to cycle the puck enough to justify giving them some offensive draws and hoping they stay out of trouble.

90. Black Dog says:

Well the 5 and 3 year olds are best buds so its already a lot easier. Actually we got lulled by them and decided to go for the third as a result. Now we’re outnumbered. ;)

Crazy thread last night, matched the game. Must be a full moon somewhere.

Lord Bob: Yeah. It’s incredible. Not to mention we had to walk uphill to school.

BOTH WAYS!

92. HBomb says:

BOTH WAYS!

Not to mention in the snow, ALWAYS into the wind….

Your kids must go to one of the Catholic schools in St. Albert LT. I was in the Catholic district out there until grade 9 and then switched over for high school (wanted to take IB, aka smarty-pants classes, and it was only offered at one of the Protestant district schools). WAY more “professional development” days for the Catholic system, even back then. Why? Who knows….

HBomb: Yeah, St. Albert Catholic appears to have a lot of teacher training days. I have been astounded by how good the teachers are so one hopes they’re playing poker in the lunch room and cracking jokes.

My son is thinking of doing exactly the same thing you did, doesn’t want to go to St. Albert High.

95. HBomb says:

What’s his motivation for changing districts? Academic, athletic, or otherwise?

All I’ll say is that Bellerose is a great school that he should consider if he wants to switch districts (my guess is that he wants to go to the “big” school, Paul Kane). It’s a crazy dynamic though – you’ve got IB kids (academics) on one end of the spectrum, and then kids doing apprenticeship and IOP programs. Quite the mix, but everyone seems to get along very well with one another, or at least they did back in 1997-2000.

He wants Bellerose. All of his friends are going there and he feels as though what he wants to do (video of some sort, with a fall back of radio–the old man has connections) will be better served there.

97. Doogie2K says:

Well, that was an adventure. I don’t really have much to add to the game discussion, because it’s hard to keep rapt attention on the game while visiting with people at Schanks, but I did want to address the events of yesterday evening.

I feel I should offer somewhat of an apology for helping precipitate events on Page 1. In my defence, we all know how Vic feels about me and how I feel about Vic; I don’t like his holier-than-thou, “ONLY THE SUPERIOR MAY POST” attitude, and took his post as an indirect attack against me (wouldn’t be the first). I shouldn’t have brought up a three-month-old comment and stabbed him in the eye with it, but he brings out the worst in me, what can I say? Mea culpa.

That being said, I still don’t understand his extended grudge against me and Ender, and how we wound up lumped in with Hunter and Traktor. I mean, I can kind of see Ender, because he usually only winds up posting when his annoyance threshold hits critical, and he has a tendency to try to question Vic on an intellectual level, which I know Vic hates ;), so I can see how one could interpret him as being a troll, but he really isn’t, and I think if he participated more, you’d see that. As for me, well, I think I’ve posted enough here and on my own site that everyone can see that characterization is a false one. I may not be writing scripts culling data from NHL.com (which, by the way, has been a very useful tool, for these discussions and fantasy hockey waiver-wire pickups), but I have done a little bit of number-crunching, and I have my own things I can bring to the discussion, in the form of the sport science I study as part of my kinesiology degree. Just as Ender can bring his own stats background to bear (if he wants) and his goaltending experience.

I don’t know why Vic gets free rein to lob unwarranted personal insults, and I don’t know why LT feels that it somehow helps anything or encourages anyone, because it really doesn’t — does calling your kids idiots make them do their homework? — nor do I get how that’s my problem, exactly, but I guess now that the ground rules are there for all to see, I think the best way for everyone to handle things is just to ignore the people they don’t like. Click on the little “said…” beside their name, comment disappears, have a nice day. It’s not the best solution, but it might just be the only one.

514 comments now and at least 20 posts talk about what the blog doesn’t do. I’m okay with that because it shows people care but allow me one more time to state the basic idea here:

1. Everyone is welcome
    2. Be prepared to defend your opinions.
    3. This is the internet.
    4. I will not send people away.
    5. The people who have special status (by any measure) are going to get more leeway and I’m completely okay with it.
    6. You are free to come and go.
    7. You may also start your own blog with these wonderful ideas and I will post the site on my Blog menu.
    8. There are very few things that irk me in this world, but I get all kinds of stubborn when people tell me what to do with my blog and why I’m letting down this way or that or haven’t got the gumption to stand up to people or that I probably yell at my kids because I refuse to stomp Vic or Traktor or Moms fucking Mabley.

Here’s an idea: post if you want. Or not.

99. Doogie2K says:

The comment about kids was simply to say that certain people yelling at each other doesn’t advance any sort of discussion. Any implications were unintentional.

I don’t think I was telling you what to do, either. I suggested that if people don’t like what Person X says, they can make the comment vanish.

And with that, I think I’m done with the subject.

100. Jonathan says:

Now that’s funny Hunter.

When I wrote Hunter1909: I think Schremp’s Jason Dawe, and I haven’t had many people argue the fact. He hasn’t proven anybody wrong, yet. I wasn’t quoting you, I was responding to you.

When I quote, I use italics, or //, or “”.

Judging by response, I think you’re the only one who didn’t get it. I was making the point that we weren’t as anti-Schremp as you were claiming.

There are a whole bunch of posters who use [insert name]: to respondto individual comments.

101. Coach pb9617 says:

There are very few things that irk me in this world,

Now you’ve piqued my interest…

102. Doogie2K says:

Actually, I do have one thing I want to say regarding the game: at one point, I looked up from the table and I swear I saw Schremp be the first forward back and deflect a puck out of midair to a D. I said to Kent in astonishment, “Is it just me, or did I just see Schremp backchecking?”

Small sample size, gonna be ups and downs, and all that, but maybe the kid finally “gets it” this year; no one around here’s gonna say no to that if it happens.

103. Traktor says:

Lowetide: Last year 21 defense suited up for the Falcons. 21!

The Falcons were one of the youngest teams in the AHL.

The Falcons were one of the most penalized teams in the AHL.

The Falcons gave up the most or close to the most amount of shots against per game.

The Falcons had one of the worst PK’s in the AHL.

I don’t think you can look at the situation and say because JDD had the 15th best save percentage that he’s the 15th best goalie in the AHL. Too many factors in play to make a definitive call based on stats – which is why I put stock in KP’s comments. JDD very well might not have been one of the best goalies in the AHL but based on JDD still being with the team it’s obvious that management thought he was. You think the Oil carry 3 goalies if they thought JDD was average last year?

104. Traktor says:

YKOIL: You missed my point but Asia summed up what I was trying to say:

“Just goes to prove that hockey stats are great for understanding what happened last night but can make a fool of you if you think they can reliably predict what will happen tomorrow.”

105. Lord Bob says:

As a Bellerose alum myself (class of ought-three, wooo!), I have to say that if I could do it all again I’d go back. Wouldn’t take the IB, mind. But I’d go back.

Ah, memories. :P

106. Bruce says:

Doogie: One play that caught my eye was Schremp making a dumb-ass behind-the-back pass to nobody coming through the neutral zone, but then hustling back and helping break up the counter-attack. The kid’s going to try shit and as MacT always says “it’s what you make minus what you leave”, but if he can help with the clean-up crew he’ll get a lot more rope.

Schremp’s gonna be a high event player, and while I don’t anticipate on-ice Sh% of 25.0% or Sv% of .846 to continue indefinitely, he’s kind of fun to watch.

107. Doogie2K says:

Bruce: Agreed. Every offensive prospect in this history of the game has gotten burned for being fancy dozens of times; it’s the ones that are willing to clean up after themselves that have the best careers, more often than not (the exceptions being the ones that create so much it ceases to matter).

108. J says:

watch the hemmer, he doesn’t give a shit when he commits one of his handful of apple turnovers in a game. watch cole who turns the puck over smashes his stick on the ice and deems himself cursed. Reason #198944 not to trade pitkanen(who should be making 77 money instead of 77) for some horcoff like sponge in cole who resided in the by far worst div in the league for many a year.

109. HBomb says:

Lord Bob: Principal Dukovac was one intimidating SOB, wasn’t he?

You would have started there just as they were cleaning up the damage path from the 5 month rampage the Class of 2000 went on in the 2nd semester. Life really WAS a party. I turned 18 on the 2nd day of that semester, we went on Grad Ski Trip a week later, and it all just kept rollin’ from there.

Memories….

Well, looks like home schooling. :-)

111. HBomb says:

Well, looks like home schooling. :-)

If I was a parent and I met me and found out my kid wanted to go to the same high school, I’d probably say the same thing.

112. HBomb says:

- Cole’s frustrated but playing hard.

- Gilbert’s earning his money.

- Pitkanen didn’t want to be here, apparently.

- Horcoff is well worth what they’re paying him.

Geez….so much wrong with that post.

113. Dennis says:

LT: how does your son compare to…wait for it…Tommy Albelin!!!

Bruce: I saw that same play from 88 and I was thinking, “take it easy now, son.”:)

Dennis: lol.