Oilers at Sharks, G26/08-09

This is Mike Lampman. He was born in 1950 and to my knowledge is the oldest NHL player born in California. He was born in Lakewood, California, played for Denver in college and was chosen by St. Louis in the 1970 draft. He played his minor and junior hockey in California so he would represent the starting point for home grown California hockey talent.

San Jose is a team I follow because they are basically the Oakland Seals 2.0 and that’s pretty cool. The team that plays in Sharks uniforms this season appears to be a strong contender for the Stanley, with a new coach, two veterans on the blueline who can settle things down and at least two goalies who can play.

Will it be the season that San Jose wins? This season resembles (a little bit) the Baltimore Orioles 1983 win in that all the veterans tired of a veteran skipper (Earl Weaver, Ron Wilson) and the team brought in a more player-friendly manager (Joe Altobelli, Todd McLellan) and received tremendous results.

The Sharks have a bunch of really good players but very few are having career seasons. In fact, at least a couple (Michalek, Cheechoo) are running in place (or worse) and if they ever come around look out.

The Oilers have a little traction currently but are playing in a division that keeps racking up the points. When we saw the new schedule and found out that the Oilers would be playing NW rivals less often it was a good day. The problem of course is that the other teams have the same opportunity and in their case wins are coming more often. Here’s a quick look at the NW today:

1. Vancouver 27gp, 32pts
  2. Minnesota 25gp, 31pts
  3. Calgary 26gp, 31pts
  4. Edmonton 25gp, 26pts
  5. Colorado 26gp, 25pts

The gap isn’t massive but it’s there. The Oilers need W’s and it wouldn’t hurt if one or more of the teams ahead of Edmonton went on a long losing streak. Say 15 games.

I’m hoping Schremp can continue his impressive run and the Oilers get at least a point tonight. It’s a long shot, but it’s already December and this team is trailing the pack.

Again.

302 Responses to "Oilers at Sharks, G26/08-09"

« Older Comments
  1. Loxy says:

A squee is a much different noise than the AHHHs I have been making all night.

2. uni says:

I know the shootout is where they’re supposed to get the extra bonus point (added to the one already stolen) but it would be really nice for them to wrap this up in OT on a Cogliano goal or something.

3. Loxy says:

HOT ROD!!!!

4. doritogrande says:

Kyle fucking Brodziak!

5. Bruce says:

Fuck me … do you believe it?

6. Kris says:

terrible

7. Sean M. says:

No way! Win!

8. Kyle says:

So, this is the team that tuned out the coach?

9. Lord Bob says:

Lowetide, I’m sorry if your kids read this comment, but holy christ.

Brodziak.

Where in Victoria can I get humble pie at 9:30?

10. uni says:

Oh My Freaking God.

11. Loxy says:

Three stars:

1. Dwayne Roloson
    2. Dwayne Roloson
    3. Dwayne Roloson

12. bookie says:

OMG-I feel a bit guilty right now

13. Kris says:

i was listening on delay… not terrible.

Awesome!

14. Baroque says:

I mean things like nutrient cycling and population ecology models. Some of the equations representing population dynamics with many source and sink subpopulations are a little daunting.

I did take differential equations in college, but wouldn’t recognize one now if it walked up to me with a name tag, even though I got an A in the course …

WOOOO!!!!!!!!!!

BITE ME, SHARKS!!!!!!!!!!!

And the fans are booing. Wow.

15. Showerhead says:

Brodziak with the lucky Ehrhoff’s foot.

And I can honestly not even begin to spell the sound I made when that puck went in.

16. Oil4lyfe says:

As i question why he was out there 51 pots one! You know OJ got 9 years in jail for stealing less than we did tonight….

17. Baroque says:

No guns, though!

It was brandishing firearms that got OJ in trouble.

18. Lord Bob says:

I said it before and I’ll say it again: best game Roloson’s played as an Oiler.

Yes, the 2006 playoffs were great, but though the shotcounts were high there were a lot of perimeter and low-percentage shots in each of those games.

Now, I’ll be curious to see Dennis’s numbers, but Roloson had to stop an awful lot of absolute five-bell chances tonight. More than I ever remember him stopping.

Beautiful. This is why I love hockey.

19. Lord Bob says:

No guns, though!

See Roloson with his shirt off and then tell me there’s no guns.

20. Loxy says:

See Roloson with his shirt off and then tell me there’s no guns.

Actually I think this is Lubo’s department.

21. Baroque says:

But there isn’t a law against that kind of gun!

At least not in the US. I think it’s okay in Canada, too.

22. bookie says:

I admit to thinking that Roli was done as a goalie. Hard to consider this game as anything other than amazing goaltending.

23. Coach pb9617 says:

The next Oiler who, in any zone, passes the puck back in the direction of his own goal line should be relegated to the press box next game. This has got to Stop.

Hi Bruce!

Welcome to the club :)

24. uni says:

I don’t know why I feel exhausted and somewhat guilty right now when all I did was have that game streaming while I catalogued 500 odd DVDs.

25. slipper says:

Rope-a-dope?

26. doritogrande says:

Baroque:

Any normal course would take the time to explain the methodology within the course itself. Every course I’ve taken in the past 4 years has built us from the ground up, but that may be because the UofM departments don’t trust each other in the least.

But then again, I don’t pay attention to math methodology in any courses I take. I don’t care for math, I don’t wish to learn math, just give me what I need to know and I’ll memorize it and go forward from there.

27. Loxy says:

P.S. The Hot Off needs your votes.

28. Baroque says:

High heart rate. I’m feeling the same thing right now.

Don’t know about the guilt, though.

29. bookie says:

That was a super fast game, it took 2hours and 20 minutes and it had some overtime!

30. Kyle says:

So, just to compare last week to this week:

1. Dustin Penner – since his public whipping I would argue he’s played his best hockey in an Oilers uniform. I hope someone more versed in statistical knowledge can help prove me either right or wrong by my eye.

2. Dwayne Roloson – MacT called a moron for not playing Roloson – but I don’t think the playing level of the two goalies is comparable – Garon looks like shit compared to Roloson. Again, maybe a stats guy can back me up or prove me wrong.

3. MacTavish – so, the team has tuned him out then?

31. Bruce says:

Last three games in the Shark Tank, the shots have been 122-58 Sharks (avg. 41-19), and the Oil have won all three. How can you explain that??

For Corsi’s sake, I don’t believe it.

32. Coach pb9617 says:

Three stars:

1. Dwayne Roloson
    2. Dwayne Roloson
    3. Dwayne Roloson

*AHEM*

Dustin Penner

33. slipper says:

Good goaltending and good fortune.

34. Baroque says:

@ doritogrande:

Biology major, chem minor, math minor. And I’m thinking of taking classes part-time around my job just for the intellectual challenge. What a nerd. :)

35. bookie says:

Roloson calls Peeters a “GREAT GOALIE COACH” in the post game interview.

Yikes, there is totally something going on there.

36. Bruce says:

*AHEM*

Dustin Penner

You said it, Coach. Oilers’ best skater tonight, deservedly third star. But Roli was The Man.

37. Coach pb9617 says:

*sigh*

He was playing like this last year in December.

38. doritogrande says:

Baroque:

I can respect that. Personally I’m just tired of the grind of school. I’ve got three semesters left and if it weren’t for my being past the halfway point on my degree, I’d probably be considering just scrapping it altogether. That’s where my co-op comes in handy. I was hitting a brick wall in the middle of my third year, but was able to take a semester off to work with the feds at Fisheries and Oceans Canada. Changed my perspectives on why I’m going to university. Now I know what I want to do, and exactly how much school I need to get there.

I think I might get the itch to take courses again like you, just for the intellectual challenge. But that’s probably years away. I just want to get through university and start building my life for family-time.

39. Coach pb9617 says:

Yikes, there is totally something going on there.

Seems that way.

40. Showerhead says:

doritogrande: shit yeah, a viking!

By which I mean yeah, I’m pretty pumped to line up Organic beside Biochem and why the hell not, some Microbio too.

Also, if you’re not set for a summer job yet and want to work in your field, let me know. I might have another option for you to apply for.

41. Coach pb9617 says:

So does Brule get that spot with Pouliot and Cogs next game?

42. Kyle says:

Whats the consensus around here regarding Pete Peeters? It seems like he’s being demonized as the cause of Garon’s problems but somehow Roloson seems unaffected. Maybe someone can explain it to me or let me know how I’m misinterpreting the issue.

43. Baroque says:

doritogrande:

I’m 38 now, so it took a while for me to get the itch again. The funny thing is, all my jobs have been based more on my chemistry background than biology.

My family has a hard time staying out of school for long, though. I have a brother who got a masters in statistics after working a few years, a sister who got her DVM this last year, and another sister who is working on her PhD in mechanical engineering. I don’t think I have the drive to specialize in one field that much, though, because my interests are so broad.

Good luck – I remember how draining it was. Just don’t be like me and beat yourself up if you get anything less than a 97%. It seems a lot more important than it is. :)

44. eidy says:

wow, straight thievery. i don’t think i’ve ever seen a team drive the hard as the sharks do. they are so aggressive and i wish we had some guys who could do the same, i guess the difference is that they have enough guys sitting on the bench that don’t need to sit on booster seats.

roli with a dream game, outstanding. also, the back half of a b2b was particularly unkind to 88 who looked to be fighting his stride all night. also, they definately wore out the horpensky line tonight and 27 was pretty winded near the end. just didn’t have anything left in the tank. to get 4 points was huge. hopefully we see a better effort from 88, or brule’s gonna have his spot. also, don’t see how anyone can complain about 5′s play this year. no more back door plays and overall solid. he is also trying to carry the puck a tonne (probably more than he should)

i’m not sure that this changes anything re: mact, he finally has some good lines rolling. but, they were dominated/outclassed/outworked tonight and excaped la with an ot win after givng up a 3 goal lead.

45. Bruce says:

Kyle: Hate to be redundant on points made elsewhere, but since the question is freshly asked, here’s a few stats on Penner:

+10 – first on Oilers
    3.47 ESGF ON/60 – first on Oilers
    1.30 ESGA ON/60 – first on Oilers
    10.01 PPGF ON/60 – first on Oilers
    +55 Corsi – first on Oilers

Those aren’t all individual stats by any means, but the team seems to play well when Dustin is on the ice. And IMHO it is no accident.

46. Coach pb9617 says:

kyle,

I’m pretty sure that Roloson crystallized it tonight. Garon, the star pupil, he is not.

47. Showerhead says:

Kyle:

* Pete was ejected from the March 4, 1984 Boston contest in Hartford. What was unusual about this? He was the backup goaltender at the time.
    * When Pete won the Vezina Trophy in 1983, he was the first Boston goaltender to capture the award since Hall-of-Famer Frank Brimsek.
    * In 1984, Pete was the goaltender in net when Mario Lemieux scored a goal on the first shift (and first shot) of his National Hockey League career.
    * In his youth, Pete was a competitive swimmer.

-all from hockeygoalies.org

48. doritogrande says:

showerhead:

Haven’t committed to anything yet, but Manitoba Health wants me back to be the senior member of their west nile virus field team. I’m seriously considering it for the free truck for the summer again. I’d also like to get out to the ELA to do some real hands-on research with the feds. I’ve got a couple connections there from my time there last winter.

What’ve you got?

49. doritogrande says:

Baroque:

Where I come from, the rhyme goes “C’s get degrees.”

50. Coach pb9617 says:

Bruce, it seems you and I are the only chubby chasers around here :)

51. Showerhead says:

As an addition to my Pete Peeters post: basically, that’s my way of saying I know f-all about the guy.

and doritogrande: Those look like good connections through your co-op and otherwise. A place I would recommend to any scientifically inclined undergrad is The Manitoba Science Academy . A really great program for bright youth which involves undergrads, grad students, and professional researchers.

52. Baroque says:

So does that make my summa cum laude (all A’s except for two AB’s and one class I took pass/fail, but that was because my stupid instructor didn’t get the midterm back before the deadline and I thought I was doing worse than I was) a waste of 3 1/2 years?

I feel so empty now. ;)

53. Oilmaniac says:

Two things,

1. Anyone catch that Toews goal… wow… Real Pretty!…

2. I only caught the last half of the third and OT. Excuse me for being negative after a win, but how was Coles game for the rest. I didnt think he looked very good in what I saw, worst of the third line… comments (or is there anything to say at this point, other than affirmation or disagreement)

54. Bruce says:

Bruce, it seems you and I are the only chubby chasers around here :)

Coach: He’s not my type. But I like his game.

55. Baroque says:

All this college talk makes me miss it. Wah! I feel so old!

Plus then I wouldn’t have to prepare for the certification inspection of my lab next week, or be dealing with possibly THE MOST ANNOYING COWORKER IN THE WORLD!

There isn’t anyone in the plant who would mind if he just “disappeared” one day. It takes talent to be widely hated.

56. Kyle says:

Kyle:

* In his youth, Pete was a competitive swimmer.

-all from hockeygoalies.org

10:54 PM, December 06, 2008

I know who he is, I’m just wondering why he’s being blamed (or so it seems to me) for Garon’s rough start.

I think MacT maybe noticed Garon’s drop off faster than any of us.

57. Showerhead says:

Kyle – it’s crazy how much more Peeters’ name gets dropped by MacT and other staffers this year than in years prior, including 05/06 when we also had one too many goalies. My feeling is that nothing’s changed and just that MacT has gotten sick of fielding the questions. Garon is what he is, and that’s pretty damn average in a lot of ways.

58. doritogrande says:

Ahh. Holiday season’s arrived ladies and gents. Dennis Leary’s Merry Fucking Christmas is on comedy central.

59. PunjabiOil says:

Just got back from Hudson’s watching the game with a few casual fan buddies. One of them was repeating that same discourse that is heavily prevalent on HF, “Fire Mact!”

Not that the issue is immune to discussion, but the fact it’s the same re-hashing opinion without any supporting logic behind it.

God, bars are littered with casual fans who engage in over-the-top reactions, all while not being able to name more than six Oilers. That over-the-top reaction is likely not visible when they’re sitting on their own coaches at home, without anyone watching them.

How about ‘dem Oilers. 13-11-2 after 26 games, 18 of them being on the road. San Jose, Detroit X 2, Philadelphia, New York Ranger, NJ Devils, Boston, Pittsburgh, Anaheim (1) out of the way. The schedule has been absurd, and the Oilers passed the test. A good run here and we’ve got a good shot at contending for the division.

3 out of the next 7 critical games will feature Vancouver without Luongo. Really an opportunity to bury them. There is significant potential here to go on a run. 9 out of 12 games in January will also be on home ice. Ugly schedule in March where the Oilers play 8 games in 13 nights. Absurd.

Brodziak and Penner have been different players since their HS days. Hemsky is getting there in terms of superstar player. Roloson was great, as he has been recently. I liked Staios’s game tonight. Visnovsky was fantastic moving the puck north efficently and effectively again. Brule had a tremendous shift in the 3rd line. Schremp looked lost out there, and hit foot speed issues were visible. Based on merit, Brule probably deserves to be on this team.

Jumbo Joe on after hours right now…talking about how great the weather is in California, and how he enjoys playing there.

60. Kyle says:

Bruce and Coach: for the record I like Penner’s game, just not quite for $4 million. He really is a nice fit on that top line though.

61. namflashback says:

Coach,

Last season, Penner’s best stretch (you are thinking about a 20GP stretch from mid-December through to Horcoff’s injury.

That was the sample size, because the first 20GP were not that strong.

Neither was that “first-line” playing the toughest opposition, as MacTavish was feeding 14-16-46/?? to the toughs. Since the public dress down and the reunification of Horpensky is the first time that MacTavish has really played them PvP.

And they are, wait for it . . . , awesome. Best evidence is that LA went Kopitar vs Horpensky and SJS went Thornton vs Horpensky for the majority of the game.

That is respect.

62. HBomb says:

Five dollar milkshake?

Damn good…but still not worth $5.

63. Coach pb9617 says:

Pretty disappointing. You pay a fella millions to show up against big boys and Pouliot outplays him. Though, to be fair, Pouliot outplayed 8 other forwards too.

64. doritogrande says:

Showerhead:

Thanks for the link. Looks like a great outfit. I’d be taking a pay cut there though. I could command top-wage for my job at Manitoba Health, and DFO pays even more than that.

True that I’m shilling myself short of a research position, but I can’t become financially stable with out the financial aspect down pat first.

65. Coach pb9617 says:

Coach: He’s not my type. But I like his game.

No matter what Mac says, I love his big fat ass.

66. Kyle says:

Ya, I was suprised Roli name dropped him tonight.

67. Coach pb9617 says:

I like him for 4 million. In fact, by the end of the year, that is going to look like an awesome contract.

68. Scott says:

Five dollar milkshake?

Damn good…but still not worth $5.

I’m pretty sure that this is the official BoC nickname for one Brad Richards.

69. Showerhead says:

dorito: were I in your shoes, I think I would do the shame – the tutor positions are better suited to early year undergrads without the connections you have made for yourself, whereas the project supervisor and other positions need you to be a grad student. No harm in plugging an excellent organization I know quite a bit about though ;)

(Oddly enough, I am not the staffer on their site who mentions the Oilers.)

Anyhow, have a good night all. That game was unbelievable and now I must sleep and sleep in :)

70. Mark says:

I didn’t get to see the game tonight. Brule do anything much?

71. Oilmaniac says:

“Five dollar milkshake?

Damn good…but still not worth $5.”

Haha… Sweet line…

72. Dennis says:

The two points are great and that’s what it comes down to but it’s hard to say anything else positive about this game isn’t there?

Some things I noticed was that in the third period McLellan was moving heaven and earth, along with the flow of his lines;), in order to get Joe T out against the New Kids. I can’t say I blame him but it was scary to watch. The funny thing about the Oilers tonight was anytime they had a chance to forecheck they were going in full out and not once considering to trap and play for the tie.

I saw that happen bigtime with the New Kids plus a couple of times with the 51 line as well.

The other couple of things I wanted to point out was how good 85 looked on the PK. Let’s hope he keeps getting a shot and of course Brule made an impact as well. Looked like a guy well suited for an energy role and that’s too squared pegged for Lowebellini but I’d give him a spin for sure.

Also awesome clean draw win for 13 after 5 made a Jason Smith like icing in it’s grade of stupidity with about 90 seconds left in the game and the New Kids are there on the block for the Oil.

You knew I had to put it in there.

JT leaped off the bench salivating like a dog but 13 Hung Tough and won the draw and we escaped unscathed.

In other news the excuses have all been removed now. We’ve arrived at the magical 26 game mark that a few of us have been looking towards for awhile and we’re here at 13-11-2 with a tonne of home matches upcoming and some of them looking eminently winnable.

MacT has the hammer and the Oilers are sleeping in their own beds so let’s see what they got.

To end on a positive note that was probably the best PK job the Oil have done all year considering the Qual Opp. I had the Sharks as logging just two PP chances – Boyle’s PPG was not a bonafide chance – so maybe that’s a little something to build on.

73. Scott says:

Apparently Brule needs to be sent back down to the AHL as soon as someone is healthy to serve a four game suspension before he can be brought up for good. The Oilers received some sort of league exception due to the injuries. Weird thing for the league to do.

74. HBomb says:

During OT, here was me screaming at the TV:

“Brodziak? Why the **** is Brodziak on the ice, MacT you ****ing ****?!?!”

Not ten seconds later, he scores a garbage goal that would make Ryan Smyth blush.

Awesome.

75. Schitzo says:

Just watched the game on the PVR. Nearly woke the family up.

Free dinner + this game = solid night’s sleep.

76. bookie says:

MacT talk – I think those of us who turned on him last week (and there were many of us long term supporters) did so only because of the stupid Line blender. He does this 2-3 times a year for a total of about 30 games and every year we suck because he can’t remember that lines that stay together, learn to play together.

Golie – two different goalies w/ 2 different styles – therefor a goalie coach could work well for one and terrible for the other (See Edmonotn Oilers for evidence).

Game – talk about a freebee. Oil learned some lessons thought I bet!

77. PunjabiOil says:

The Oilers have had the 2nd toughest schedule this year, only behind the Vancouver Canucks.

78. Bruce says:

Followed by about a half dozen positive remarks. Well played, Dennis.

A lot of Oilers simply looked overwhelmed out there. i woulda put Brodz on that list but he gets a pass since he, uh, scored the winning goal. You’re right about the bad icing but I thought Smid and Staios played pretty decent all things considered. Smid’s about the only blueliner we got that’ll lay the body on anybody.

79. Chris says:

After watching that game all I can say is “wow”. The Oilers made off like bandits with two points there. Roloson looked like he recaptured some of the magic from a few years ago, as he was under seige but stopping everything that came his way.

Hemsky really is on another level these days. The way he forces the play into the offensive zone is so much more agressive than we’re used to seeing him. He’s now Ales “I’m fucking tired of not being an all-star” Hemsky. Sorry for the cursing LT.

Schremp didn’t have a good game. But you could say that about a large segment of the team not named Ales Hemsky, Dustin Penner or Dwayne Roloson. The Sharks are the fastest team I’ve seen so far this year, that seems to expose a few of our less than fleet of foot players.

How many more idiotic interviews does Dustin Penner have to handle before he breaks out a Rodney Dangerfield routine?

80. kinger says:

I though 5 had a pretty solid game. I remember a nice separation he put down low on Thornton; looked like a former Oiler/current Columbus blue Jacket defender.

81. Asiaoil says:

At a football game tonight and missed the game – but man talk about going to script. Outshot, outplayed and still won. Roli really seems to have gotten inside the Sharks collective head.

This weekend was what the season could have been like from the start with two solid journeyman goaltenders – but the Oilers managed to make a whole lot of fuss where none should have existed. JDD should have been sent out – he would have cleared or been reclaimed if someone was actually silly enough to take him. Garon should be allowed to work with whoever he wants.

The Peeters name dropping is pretty funny – Roli’s a MacT guy and in the inner circle so that’s not surprising. Not like he needs or has ever accepted any coaching anyways. But when your one of the in guys you gotta try hard to give a bunch of under-achievers like Bucky, Peeters and Moores some props to try keep them employed. None of those guys has done anything to merit an NHL job – and that’s probably the major reason I’m off on MacT – I can’t stand it when people surround themselves with mediocrity – it never works out well.

Oh well – we’ll take the ill-gained 2 points and move on. Just frustrating to watch MacT do stupid stuff that never works year after year (wingers at center, players out of position, messing with the PK, goofy stuff with goaltenders) and then revert to what any dunce can see are the best options. It’s not innovative or experimental – it’s just being weird for no particular purpose.

82. Coach pb9617 says:

My thoughts were that 88 might not be playing well but fuck 4-on-4 gives you a lot of ice and I’d like to give him a spin.

As slow as he was skating, I’m glad he was stapled.

83. Oilman says:

Not like he needs or has ever accepted any coaching anyways.

Really? Someone schooled him good – because Roli gets by more on his positioning and technical abilities more so than his physical skills. He seems like exactly the type to rely on good coaching and will be an excellent goalie coach himself. (and I can’t stand Pete Peters)

84. Ribs says:

Ha! The Sharks have been broken. Since the moment they were barfed onto the ice in warm-up by that giant shark head they knew they were done. Man, are those games fun to watch with my Shark fan buddy. The Oilers always seem to come out on top regardless of being outshot or outplayed.

Hemsky is ridiculous. ‘Nuff Said.

The PK survived!…kind of. The Oilers didn’t take as many penalties this game and it definitely paid off. A big pat on the back to Moreau for calmly staying out of the sin bin for a change.

Roloson’s interview after the game really reminded me of how greasy he is. Complaining about not getting enough shots in practice? C’mon, old man! Nice game from him tonight though. It looked like the Sharks were aiming for his Oildrop all night.

Why does J-Roe (Roenick) always have to score against us? It’s pretty much guaranteed every time.

85. Bruce says:

Asia: I would have let this pass if you hadn’t included Billy Moores on your list of “under-achievers”. That’s just wrong. Moores is a career coach who has won two CIS championships as a head coach — which is to say, one more than Mike Keenan or Mike Babcock — and countless more as an assistant under Clare Drake. To me he is an ideal assistant coach at the highest levels of hockey, a real X and O’s type who has zero aspirations of the head job. To paint him with the same OBC brush with which you tar Buchberger and Peeters doesn’t seem fair.

86. Asiaoil says:

Oilman – yeah Roli is one of the few guys who successfully drastically changed his technique after turning pro. Not sure who he worked with at that time – but by the time he got to the Oilers he was 36 and an ornery f***er set in his ways. Peeters is probably more a buddy than a coach given their ages.

87. Asiaoil says:

Bruce….and Moores has been involved in our wildly successful power play except for the period that Simpson was around to coach it. Moores has a great college record but name one notable thing that he’s done in the pros? The only assistant who is worth anything is Huddy – the others are basically guys who MacT likes rather than guys who really help us win. Hangers on basically – but obviously Moores is a high functioning hanger on.

88. Bruce says:

Asia: You mean our game-changing powerplay that produced the tying and winning goals last night? :D

As for what has he ever done, you could ask that question about pretty much any assistant coach, whose contribution is like that of a role playing forward or defensive defenceman; individual accomplishments are hard to define except as a measure of team success. Which obviously includes that run to the SCF and otherwise a bunch of tough sledding for 8th or 9th place every year. Hard to credit or discredit Billy Moores for any of that… it’s a tough league and quality coaches abound.

I do think Moores adds depth and quality and experience as a coach to the mix. It’s difficult to put a value on that, but I’m confident he adds value. He has been the one constant in MacT’s staff since 2000, and had a quarter century of coaching experience before that. First and foremost, he’s a teaching coach. I see him as something of an elder statesman in the coaching staff, not dissimilar to the late Lorne Davis’s role among the scouts.

Bill’s connection to the city’s “other” hockey dynasty (the ongoing one) isn’t a bad thing either in my view. Of course, I am a Golden Bears’ fan dating back to the 70s, so take that for what it’s worth. Maybe what it’s worth most, though, is a little respect. “High functioning” is a step in the right direction. :)

Agreed on Charlie Huddy, btw, I think we got a real good one there. His duties are a little more well-defined and easier to judge.

89. Asiaoil says:

Bruce…Moores is clearly a very good college coach but it doesn’t seem to have translated to anything particularly positive at the pro level. I don’t think he’s done a bad job – but there’s nothing in his pro resume that shouts excellence either. Having him as the weakest link in an otherwise strong team of assistants would be fine – but he’s the best of our motley crew and that’s a problem.

Basically all I’m saying is that we are beyond having to pinch pennies and hire 3rd rate assistants who add nothing to the program. We should go out and buy the best goaltending and special teams guys out there – that gives us an edge that doesn’t count against the cap. Same with scouting which has been a lot better over the past 10 years.

90. Bruce says:

A couple of interesting stats in the statistical rubble from last night’s games.

ES shots on goal with Player X on the ice:

Moreau 0-18
    Cole 0-17
    Brodziak 1-16

… including the one ES GA. Back to the drawing board with the old “checking line”.
    By way of comparison, the top unit almost held their own:

Horcoff 7-9
    Hemsky 7-9
    Penner 8-8

.. including the one ES GF.

Meanwhile, back on the blue line:

Visnovsky 2-18
    Grebsehkov 2-15

Tough night for this duo, esp. Grebs who was “outquicked” by San Jose forecheckers a little too often for my liking.

91. Showerhead says:

Bruce: I think what you’re showing is indicative of Edmonton’s chances in the playoffs against a very good or very deep team.

We might roll a 6 pretty often with that 1st line but the rest of the way down it’s all 3′s and 4′s. Meanwhile SJ or DET are rolling 6′s all the way through and bam, there goes Kamchatka. Pretty soon they’ve got the whole continent and then it all goes to hell ;)

92. Schitzo says:

I knew there was an analogy this board had really missed out on. Who would have thought it was Risk?

93. CrazyCoach says:

Kyle,

This is the annual MacT tease us with first place before Christmas scene just before the 2 month turkey hangover, followed by the 6 week march to miss the playoffs by one point madness.

If the room were really listening and the coaching staff really working, the script would change from year to year.

94. Kev says:

Roloson has given props to Peeters in a few past interviews, I believe the first time was during the ’06 playoff run, so there’s no angle there.

95. Oilman says:

I’ve actually heard him give Hasek a lot of credit

96. Dennis says:

Bruce: what we may be seeing is concrete evidence that 18 can no longer play or should no longer be looked to in terms of playing tough min.

And maybe the 18-34 combo just isn’t a good idea in general. I know that when 34 played between those guys as a pivot they got absolutely murdered in terms of chances for/against.

And maybe it wasn’t all the centre’s fault.

97. Bruce says:

Dennis: Yeah, I’m afraid I agree. Not so much that he can’t play anymore, but tough minutes? All along I thought Ethan would look alright on a 4th line with 51-46 which presumably would be sheltered to some extent against the other team’s top guns.

Fact is Moreau played on a prototypical checking line for years with Marchant and Grier mostly but he always struck me more as the big effort guy rather than the crafty defensive specialist. This year I have noticed way too many times where he gets the puck along the LW boards in our end with just enough time to do something with it like get it the fuck over the blueline at least and he hesitates and the next thing you know it’s still in our end and the defence pair that was hoping to get off are scrambling back and it’s just not a good situation. You watch the game closer than I vis a vis scoring opportunities, and I know you’ve got the captain at a team-worst -29 without even including last night’s affair where just from that shots data it’s quite apparent his line could never get the damn puck over centre. I’ll bet a lot of those chances against are a result of lack of execution in getting the puck to safety when the chance was there and that is a bare minimum expectation from a tough minutes type.

You may have noticed way up in this thread during the game I snapped and said “who is the thinker on this line?” cuz it sure isn’t Moreau and it sure isn’t Cole. Both vets were thoroughly outclassed by the Sharks last night, and the results were not pretty.

The good news and the bad is that the captain is hiding his defensive liabilities to some extent with unexpected offence, and I’m pretty sure that won’t continue. He’s always been a streaky scorer and with a career high of 32 points obviously the cold streaks last a lot longer than the hot. The shots and scoring chances numbers might be underlying, but I don’t think they’re lying.

98. Kyle says:

Not sure how consistent performance from season to season proves one way or the other but ok.

99. CrazyCoach says:

Kyle stay on the inconsistent or non-playoff side for too long and you’ll know.

Now, as Mr Wolff said, “Now let’s not start sucking each others…… just yet”

updated stats say Ninth place.

100. Doogie2K says:

As I watched the game (it took a day and a half — stupid finals), I remember also thinking that Brule had a much better third and that Schremp had fallen off. What does Mac do? Put Brule on the kid line for the last few minutes of the third/OT and bench Schremp. Thank you for waking up, Craig. Seems safe to say any serious discussion of MacTavish losing his job is gonna be put on hold for a while. Except for the ones who are always blowing that horn, of course.

That is kind of odd; I was wondering why the NHL wasn’t honouring the AHL’s suspension when the AHL has a history of doing the reverse in recent years. You’d think they’d just call up Potulny instead, unless there’s some sort of re-entry consideration here.

Finally: I knew we were going to win as soon as Roli started losing his stick and making repeated saves anyway. When he tossed the mask in the third it just clinched it. Vintage Roli performance. =)

101. Bruce says:

Good points as usual, Doogie. On this night at least the hunches were paying off for the kindly old coach. The decision to play Roli in the Shark Tank was an easy one, Garon’s current two-game winning streak and first-star performance last year in the Shark Tank notwithstanding. As a wise man said way up in Comment #1:

My primary cause for optimism is that Roli seems to be in the heads of a lot of veteran Sharks.

… with which I heartily agreed. Roli’s history against the Sharks is a lot deeper than one game. I’m sure Joe Thornton just hates playing against Roli. :)

But once their goalie had got his outmanned teammates to OT with a point in the bank and a chance for a second, MacT’s hunches were stunning. By the time I had finished saying “WTF is Brule doing out there in OVERTIME?” young Gilbert had drawn the decisive penalty, and by the time I could blurt out “WTF is Brodziak doing on the POWERPLAY?” young Kyle had deposited the game-winner.

It’s not often that two such outside-the-box decisions bear two such instantly-positive results.

I hope MacT headed directly to the craps table after the game.

102. Doogie2K says:

Well, Brodziak was arguably more lucky than good (though Gilbert was at the back door waiting for the tap-in), but Brule seemed to be making more smart, simple plays as the game went on. I’m assuming Cogs was thrown out of the circle for Brule to be taking that draw, because he only had one other one that whole night: I’d go back and check, but I usually delete games from my PVR right after watching them.

« Older Comments