Oilers at Sharks, G26/08-09

This is Mike Lampman. He was born in 1950 and to my knowledge is the oldest NHL player born in California. He was born in Lakewood, California, played for Denver in college and was chosen by St. Louis in the 1970 draft. He played his minor and junior hockey in California so he would represent the starting point for home grown California hockey talent.

San Jose is a team I follow because they are basically the Oakland Seals 2.0 and that’s pretty cool. The team that plays in Sharks uniforms this season appears to be a strong contender for the Stanley, with a new coach, two veterans on the blueline who can settle things down and at least two goalies who can play.

Will it be the season that San Jose wins? This season resembles (a little bit) the Baltimore Orioles 1983 win in that all the veterans tired of a veteran skipper (Earl Weaver, Ron Wilson) and the team brought in a more player-friendly manager (Joe Altobelli, Todd McLellan) and received tremendous results.

The Sharks have a bunch of really good players but very few are having career seasons. In fact, at least a couple (Michalek, Cheechoo) are running in place (or worse) and if they ever come around look out.

The Oilers have a little traction currently but are playing in a division that keeps racking up the points. When we saw the new schedule and found out that the Oilers would be playing NW rivals less often it was a good day. The problem of course is that the other teams have the same opportunity and in their case wins are coming more often. Here’s a quick look at the NW today:

1. Vancouver 27gp, 32pts
  2. Minnesota 25gp, 31pts
  3. Calgary 26gp, 31pts
  4. Edmonton 25gp, 26pts
  5. Colorado 26gp, 25pts

The gap isn’t massive but it’s there. The Oilers need W’s and it wouldn’t hurt if one or more of the teams ahead of Edmonton went on a long losing streak. Say 15 games.

I’m hoping Schremp can continue his impressive run and the Oilers get at least a point tonight. It’s a long shot, but it’s already December and this team is trailing the pack.

Again.

304 Responses to "Oilers at Sharks, G26/08-09"

Newer Comments »
  1. Doogie2K says:

My primary cause for optimism is that Roli seems to be in the heads of a lot of veteran Sharks. On the other hand, a bunch of their pickups from this summer (Boyle, Blake) don’t have that same hangup, and with a new coach maybe comes a fresh perspective.

Basically, Roli has to stand on his head like he did last March if we want any points at all out of this game, and this is one where I would really settle for just one; when was SJ’s last RL at home, again?

Wait, really?

Hot damn. Maybe there is hope.

2. raventalon40 says:

Yeah, for some reason the Oilers usually play well against the Red Wings and Sharks, though logic would suggest otherwise. Maybe they bring their game down because they think we stink, or we bring our game level up to meet their intensity.

Who knows?

My biggest surprise is Vancouver leading the NW division. After watching the 6-3 shallacking to the Canucks in October it was clear they were a better team … but better than Minnesota and Calgary? Never saw that coming.

3. Doogie2K says:

Well, Tyler doesn’t think much of Vancouver’s start, even granting that Roberto Luongo is going to push the PDO number north of 100% most of the time. I haven’t seen enough of them to really gauge, but they did chase King Henrik, and you don’t see that every day.

4. mc79hockey says:

I just wanted to chime in and point out that, while I figure Vancouver will slide back, they had enough other trouble last year in stuff that I tend to think of as luck, as well as all of the injury problems, that it wouldn’t surprise me if they’re legitimate.

I’m also a little pissed that the Oil have played approximately a million afternoon games, I really want to watch this game, and I have a Christmas party to go to.

Any guesses as to the degree to which the Oilers are outshot at evens tonight? Second game of a B2B, Sharks are +164 for the year…this could be ugly. Roli better be sharp.

5. Coach pb9617 says:

They also seem to surrender a ton in front of Roloson and JDD, so I’ll go 36-22

6. Bruce says:

Last year’s two Oiler games in the Shark Tank, the shots were 30-18 and 49-23. Split the difference and call it 40-20.

Hard to believe Oilers won both games.

7. spOILer says:

MacT with a nice coaching segment there between periods.

“Drive off the boards, into the middle, down the boards, and then back to boards, driving the defenseman deep… opens up the pass to the trailer.”

Then the kid demonstrating as the trailer puts it about 3 cm.s inside the top left corner.

8. Coach pb9617 says:

Anyone know if Strudwick is on defense tonight? *crosses fingers*

9. Matt says:

when was SJ’s last RL at home, again?

April 27th to the Dallas Stars, the one before that was April 9th to the Calgary Flames. Though you’re — obviously — forgiven for forgetting the postseason.

10. Swabbubba says:

This is going to be a te4st. I hope Schremp continues to make the strides. 4-3 Schremp with GWG

11. goldenchild says:

A couple of things
    1. If Garon was playing in practice the way he did yesterday in the first 40 mins no wonder the coach didn’t want to start him. Seemed to be more solid in the 3rd.

2. On more and more nights Ales Hemsky is the best player on the ice, nights like last nights 1 assist doesn’t seem to do justice to how good he was. He has become just a fantastic player and he is an absolute treat to watch.

3. Poo fans rejoice! 78 is finding the scoring areas, doing nice work on the forecheck and always does a good job of carrying the puck out of the zone. Played well enough to even get a shift in OT with 83 and showed great skill on the SO goal.

I will be watching Manny fight De la Hoya tonight so I will miss this one but if they get a point tonight it would be huge. I do know one thing 83 will be on the highlights tonight.

12. Doogie2K says:

Though you’re — obviously — forgiven for forgetting the postseason.

Sorry, I forgot to specify I meant the regular season. Obviously, they lost a couple in the playoffs or Ron Wilson might’ve still had a job. ;)

13. HBomb says:

On Hemsky: I swear he’s playing his best hockey ever right now, yet he hasn’t had a “big” night.

Sometime in the next few weeks, I get the idea he’s going to go 2G-3A in a 6-3 Oiler win.

14. Bruce says:

Anyone know if Strudwick is on defense tonight? *crosses fingers*

All I have heard is that Smid had a major headache after the game. Much as it pains me to say it, I think the Oilers would be foolish to dress him tonight. We don’t need another Stoll situation on our hands.

Speaking of whom, after seeing Raffi give him the forearm shiver and Stollie drop him on his head, I’m sure Ladi is wondering WTF? I would have thought if the erstwhile 14-16 had an axe to grind with an ex-teammate, they both should be going after Zack Stortini. Supposedly it was their petulant outburst against MacT’s choice of linemate that got them PB’d, and likely opened the door to their being traded.

Teehee, as if …

15. Oilmaniac says:

Hbomb:

I would say Hemskys coming out party this year was the Philly game, 2G 1A… both goals were absolute beauts…

Not a huge game (2,3), but a big one imo…

16. HBomb says:

Oilmaniac: Yeah, that Philly game really was a “slump buster” for Hemsky (let’s just say he didn’t earn a Mr. October nickname this year), it was a beauty.

But I think he’s got an even bigger night in him somewhere along the line. Given how he’s above the PPG barrier right now, if he can stay healthy, I’ve got the line in the sand drawn at 90 points for him. 30G-60A.

I think he can get there.

17. goldenchild says:

I agree with Hbomb there is a 4 or 5 pt game coming even last night the set up 2 point blank chances 1 to Penner 1 to Gilbert I think and had a couple himself. Its coming.

18. Bruce says:

OT: watching the Pens-Sens affair positively begs the question :) how in the sweet fuck did Matt Cooke get a letter on his sweater? Pensblog fans should be embarrassed just to have the backstabbing little rodent on their roster, yet alone singled out as some sort of model of leadership. Give me a fucking break.

And as I write that, Cooke runs Jason Smith in the corner, and in the subsequent battle in front of the net, pitchforks Gator to the ice. Both from behind of course. Gator gets up and challenges him but can’t take a penalty, and only when both linesmen are pulling them apart does Cooke try and facewash him at the last possible moment. Then yaps and grins as his striped friends lead him to safety yet again.

Is it just me, or in the fantasy world that actually sees Cooke involved in a fair fight, would you pull for Avery over Cooke? Downie? I would. I really, seriously Hate this guy.

We recently adopted a dog who has never lived with a cat before. The way she deals with ours is she waits until the cat is already moving away from her, and once she spots the cat’s ass she runs her out of the room. Always gets her “in the numbers” so to speak. It’s such socially reprehensible behaviour I’m thinking of renaming the obnoxious little mutt Cookie.

19. Coach pb9617 says:

Bruce,

I brought that up in a GDT recently. The first night he has a letter, he purposefully rode a guy to the boards, waited until he was on the turnbuckle, and then extended the guy into the turnbuckle. You could see his eyes – he did it on purpose. It was disgusting.

20. Doogie2K says:

I’d pull for whomever pulled out the stick and started swinging first.

21. Coach pb9617 says:

Reposted from the Kings GDT:

Some awesome posts in this thread. Great read. The last one that stuck out to me was coach’s..”I like the fact that Penner is expressionless.” I like that too. The dirt-eating smirk doesn’t seem to be there any more. He’s playing well. Another good game from him.

Ribs — I’m not sure how to take it yet, but I really like it. There are still enormous issues [PK, 3rd D pairing, Mac's blender] with this club, but the little things about certain players are starting to show up.

Smid’s willingness to do the dirty work and make the dirty little play. It’s like he’s been paired with Chelios for a year and understands when to get rowdy after a whistle, when to crosscheck someone in the low back away from the play, when to facewash.

Penner’s expressionless face. He has the same look whether he scores, takes a penalty or buries someone in the corner. It reminds me of the Red Wings in the playoffs and I like that. Since he’s been reuinted with Horcoff and Hemsky, he’s found someone to pass to and looks like a bonafide player. Yeah, he still stinks in his own end [*sigh* and on the PK] but in the offensive zone, he is the perfect a-cump- uh, company-accompluh- uh, the fella that plays the gui-tar for Hemsky’s ice ballet. Those two are the reason that the puck never seems to leave the offensive zone when SC1 is on the ice. Honestly, I don’t mind that offer sheet at all.

Excepting last night, Gilbert’s calm touch under pressure. He has a sense as to when he can take a stutter step, when he has to spin, and when he can squeeze through a hit or a forecheck.

Pouliot’s willingness to bang. When he’s on a line that has some similar ability or better, he’s got no problem doing the dirty work and he showed it again last night.

Yeah, it took their coach 20 games to put the line out that everyone thought would be together last June, and yeah if only he could throw Bucky in a giant hole in his basement with a bottle of lotion in a basket so that he could fix the PK, and yeah, he seems to have a mancrush on Staios and Strudwick, but there are some things out there that are going to let you fall in love with this team all over again.

22. HBomb says:

Bruce: Let’s put it this way. If someone asked who I’d cheer for in a fight between Matt Cooke and the ghost of Adolf Hitler, I wouldn’t be able to come up with a quick answer.

23. Kris says:

Damned CBC-online won’t let me watch the game because I live in the U.S.

If anybody has a link, please let me know.

24. Fake Craig McTavish says:

LT: a better photo of Lampman.

25. Kris says:

I’d cheer for Hitler over Cooke. He was great when he played for the Leafs– didn’t he score like 10points in one game?

Thanks Fake Craig MacTavish.

27. Doogie2K says:

@Fake MacT: That’s awesome. That moustache is something else altogether.

28. Kev says:

Garon needs more games but not tonight. Roli seems to morph into ’06 Roli when playing teams like Detroit and San Jose. Playing against good buddies especially Blake seems to amp him up as well. Boys, better be heads up for the batter up!
    Winter finally decided to show up so it’s nice to hole up inside (with all the neccessary supplies) on a Saturday night and watch the Oilers. Go get ‘em boys.

29. HBomb says:

Everything tonight points towards an ugly loss.

So be sure to take the Oilers to win on your ProLine ticket.

30. J says:

Thank you mr.lowetide for painting the fact that the oil are right there in the thick of things. VERY winnable 4 games coming up. The Oilers always play the sharks tough and I expect and predict a big streak shattering win tonight. Contrast that with everyone else in the division appearing to be struggling, if the oil come out of these next four with 7 of 8 points they will be top of the NW. The schrimpoliano line is the push the horpensky line needs to be a legit #1. Why not send Gagner down for some “conditioning”? Let him play in the wjs haha. Nilsson to me is the quintessential third liner anyways, and add Frank and Sty, that could be an excellent shut down line. Go Q league with the 4th line who cares.

31. Ribs says:

Agreed, coach. There is a lot to like right now. The PK is killing these guys and if they can figure it out and continue to play the way they have lately, they will be very good.

I just wonder what the magic answer is to fixing the PK…

I have a friend that is a die-hard Sharks fan (I think because he likes sharks?) and watching these games with him are always fun. The Oilers always seem to have a persistence agaainst the Sharks that they just can’t handle. I hope they can wear them down this season but I think they’re going to miss having Stoll and Torres in this series.

Poulie’s rampage continues? I’ll give him as assist.

32. Black Dog says:

Squalls off of Georgian Bay postponed our trip to see my folks so I’m around after all.

Next week was supposed to be the annual night out with a longtime friend whose birthday is close to mine.

Instead its tonight.

Just as an explanation for any foolishness that appears later.

33. mc79hockey says:

Have a good one Pat!

Also, Kris wins the thread.

34. Black Dog says:

also talking about dating myself but I had that hockey card

35. Black Dog says:

Thanks Ty. Actually its Mark of whom I speak so it may get ugly. 7am will come quickly I’m afraid.

Going to watch the game with a group of guys called The Hockey Cabal. Should be fun.

I have the O-Pee-Chee card that spells his name H-i-l-t-e-r.

37. Black Dog says:

LT – too much

I only needed the Goering to complete the set but never could; had about a dozen Himmlers though

Stupid Himmler

38. Bruce says:

BDHS: That Butch Goering always was an elusive son of a gun.

39. Bruce says:

Goldenchild: This is bang on the mark, as is typical of your comments I might add.

I was one who was critical of Hemsky’s play in October, and drew the wrath of some of the elite of the Oilogosphere, including a rare rebuke from LT himself that gave me pause. I hope I’m wrong, I said. Let’s revisit it in a month, we agreed. So here we are, and I might as well bring the subject up first before MC hammers me with it.

Ales Hemsky splits
    ———————
    Oct. 9 GP, 0-7-7, -4
    Nov. 14 GP, 7-10-17, +4
    Dec. 2 GP, 1-2-3, +3

I still think Ales had a seriously subpar October (1 ESP), but he has been a positive difference maker in a big way in the subsequent weeks. Not every night — his 2 points against Dallas on Weds. didn’t seem to do justice to how bad he was on that particular night — but way more often than not. He has surged to the team lead (well, second, behind Schremp) with 2.55 ESP/60, even including the subpar start.

What I particularly like, archaic as it may sound, is the emergence of some + digits behind Hemsky’s name. For all that points are important, our first line — defined as Hemsky’s line for quite some time now — needs to outscore to be effective. Ales has had a persistent string of minuses since his rookie year (inc. playoffs). If our first line can’t hold its own, how can our team?

Of course some of Hemsky’s value is on the PP, which at best doesn’t help the old +/-. While he trails the likes of Dustin Penner and Sheldon Souray in PPGF ON/60 and PP+/60, he leads the Oilers with 6.67 PPP/60, which ranks 20th in the NHL (among players with 20 GP / 1:00 PPTOI/G). As a unit, “Hemsky’s powerplay” ranks 14th in the league. So still some room to improve there, but I think it’s coming. Part of it is personnel issues quite separate from Ales, such as having two “shooting guards” on the points for most of the early going, and the reinsertion of Penner on the first unit.

As for the PK, I have long thought that Ales should get a little time there, but if early indications mean anything (-34.3/60!) maybe it’s not such a good idea.

All things considered, Hemsky has responded strongly to his critics, myself included, that he deserves to be considered among the elite wingers in the league. He’s still behind a few guys to be sure, but roaring up the charts. Carry on, Ales! Goilers!

40. boopronger says:

I cant believe people are still bringing up the Macblender. I havent like alot of the things hes done this year but come on. The guy goes with what works. How many games are you supposed to give players to find “chemistry”. If the lines are not working he mixes it up. Why would you do things any other way? Hes left the lines generally the same for how many games now?

I dont really buy the fact that Mactavish mixes up the lines any more or less then other coaches.

41. Bruce says:

Damned CBC-online won’t let me watch the game because I live in the U.S.

Kris: I don’t know if this helps, but NHL Network always advertises the HNiC doubleheader as being shown on their American feed. So if you’re around a TV with a lot of channels, try that.

I always think of Hemsky in terms of Lafleur (not that he IS Lafleur but that defending the line he is on will be a fulltime job for an opponent).

The key for Bowman winning those Stanley’s was having TWO lines that could score goals. That way the Luce-Ramsay-Gare line might shut down the Lemaire-Shutt-Lafleur unit at home but they still had to contend with Mahovlich, Cournoyer, Lambert, etc.

That’s what Hemsky should do I’d think at some point, become the guy opponents key on therefore allowing a second scoring line to impact the game in a big way.

Oilers have candidates but some are too young to have full impact and others lack the skill. If they could get two lines scoring and then a Marchant-Moreau-Grier checking line this team could go on a huge run.

Plus they need Robinson, Savard and Lapointe and a Cornell goalie but those are easily added.

:-)

43. mc79hockey says:

It’s funny because I thought about saying something earlier in the thread and then figured “Nah, don’t act like a dick. Everyone can see that Hemsky took off.”

44. Coach pb9617 says:

Eh – he was playing like crap. You called him on it. I don’t remember you ever saying he wasn’t going to break out, you were just miffed with his quality of play. I was too.

45. Bruce says:

LT: Seems reasonable. One of the weaknesses of +/- since forever is that it doesn’t factor in QualComp. Of course in Hemsky’s case he usually has a very high QualTeam as well … but then again, so did Lafleur.

I keep harping on him being a minus player; he typically is in the minus single digits. Probably much/most of the minus could be explained away with SHGA and ENGA, since Ales tends to play on the offensive side of special teams and not the defensive, they don’t tend to balance out. (That empty netter he scored on Weds was not a common sight, let’s put it that way). In the more refined stats that just rank 5v5 play he’s probably been pretty close to an even player throughout his career. But never really an outscorer, although that may just be changing.

Yeah, Sather had the same sort of edge. On the rare nights that the opposition checkers could limit the Gretzky-Kurri combo, Messier and Anderson were apt to light it up against the other team’s second or even first line. Not sure that Hemsky is in quite the class of those guys yet; for sure he hasn’t got three teammates of that quality. (Patent pending on 13-78-88, of course!)

“Nah, don’t act like a dick. Everyone can see that Hemsky took off.”

MC: Ha! Even Bruce can see that.

46. HBomb says:

Remember a minor debate as to whether or not Hemsky was a top 10 RW in the league?

The last month screams YES, and the debate might soon be “top ten? How about top FIVE?”

Anyways, for those of you with Centre Ice, beauty original six matchup at the Joe tonight with Detroit and Chicago. Wings wearing the whites at home (i.e. the way it SHOULD be). This should do just fine to occupy my time until 8pm MST.

Meanwhile, in NCAA Football, if anyone cares….

USC beats UCLA – good.
    Florida beats Alabama – not so good.

One of the reasons I’m a MacT fan is that he rarely let off the gas with Hemsky re: tough ice, and even when many thought it would be better to switch off an make him the Yzerman (to the tough Fedorov minutes) MacT pretty much stayed the course.

Which means that one day he’s going to be a much better player than he is today. And he’s a helluva player today.

48. HBomb says:

Note to Edmonton area Shaw customers with the HD channels….said Chicago/Detroit game is available on channel 222, regardless of whether or not you have NHLCI.

I like Ovechkin, but I’d sure as heck rather watch the Wings and Hawks, because neither of those teams is the Leafs.

49. Doogie2K says:

Must…resist…urge…bah, who am I kidding, I already made that joke a month ago, when he first caught fire.

I’m not sure that he’ll be a 30G man necessarily (current pace is 26), but I figured something in the realm of 25-65-90 was realistic if he had both linemates going for an extended period, like he did in the middle of last season and appears to have now. Good to see he’s woken up.

50. HBomb says:

Keeping going with this Hemsky thing….current points standings for NHL RW's:

Ok, so you'd obviously have to rate Iginla, Hossa and Alfredsson (still) ahead of Hemsky right now. But beyond that?

Kane, yes. Setoguchi? Still questionable as to whether or not he's simply a product of Thornton. Selanne's on the downslide. Gaborik's always injured. Corey Perry's grossly overrated and IS a product of Getzlaf.

I think 83's arrived folks. The best part? 3 more years after this one at a meagre 4.1 million dollar per year cap hit.

//Plus they need Robinson, Savard and Lapointe and a Cornell goalie but those are easily adde//

Don’t forget Nyrop. Bill Nyrop was a damn fine defensive defenseman during his time with the Habs.

52. Dennis says:

Pat: speaking of “dating yourself” did you have one of those crazy crushes on yourself that you spoke about in your blog awhile back;)

BTW, I love your lead-in’s and I would like to hear more about the adventures of Slacker Pat Video Store Guy:)

Regarding tonight, these guys Do play a tonne of close games and if the BJ’s can own the Sharks at home at evens then chances are they’re about to lose that winning streak in the next couple of games. I’ll say the Oilers have a shocking chance of winning if they give the Sharks four PP’s or less.

Lines when all of 12-34-89 return: I thought about this last night and it seems obvious to me.

1. HorPenSky: PVP and scoring

2. 18-51-34: secondary tough min line

3: 13-89-26: Cole gets to play with 89 in the sugartime and we finally see if that will click.

4: 12-78-88: 78 plays well 88 from their A days and the same can be said of 12 with 88. Put them together against the absolute softest of opp and we’ve got four really well balanced lines.

Of course no one will be able to kill penalties so it’s probably not worth doing.

53. Kris says:

Bruce: No good. I’ve tried. America hates hockey. If you even mention hockey down here, they call you an ice-monkey and throw you in Guantanamo. I’m pretty sure there’s a question on the citizenship test where they show you a toque, and ask ‘What is this?’ and if you don’t say wool cap, they deny you your citizenship.

54. Black Dog says:

Dennis – there will be many stories about those days as well as probably a few about self love as well, I promise ;)

55. jon k says:

Dennis: Personally I think the Brodziak, Moreau and Cole line should stick together. Have Pisani babysit Gagner when he returns as he did last season.

1. 27-10-83

2. 18-51-26

3: 13-89-34

4: 12-78-88

I really actually like the look of those lines, aside from the obvious lack of toughness and avoidance of the issues with the PK.

56. B.C.B. says:

Hey, elites of Oilerblogosphere, could you answer a question for a lowly citizen:

Do you think MacT will run the
    Stortini-Brule-Reddox line for more then 4 minutes tonight?
    If he doesn’t, does it make sense for them to be playing Brule, and eating up one of his last 19 games before waivers kicks in?

I think that line could have some kick to it and could do well. It would be better if they weren’t debuting against the Sharks, or Poo was on it instead of Reddox.

57. Coach pb9617 says:

I’ll be interested to see how the Sharks match lines tonight.

58. Coach pb9617 says:

BCB, you’d think he would have to considering it’s the back end of a two-fer. However, there’s no one on that line to take faceoffs which means you can’t even give them offensive zone faceoffs. Given his whackiness this year, I don’t think anyone has a clue as to his strategy tonight.

59. Bruce says:

I agree the fourth line needs to get some ice tonight. MacT seemed to agree with my point that last night was the “must win” of the two, and emptied the bank account, with Horcoff playing 26 minutes and Penner and Hemsky around 24. And to some extent tonight is house money, Oilers are surely Heavy underdogs, so why not give Brule a good look. Especially if it does turn out to be a blowout.

Coach, I think Brule is more of a faceoff guy than Strudwick who it sounds like is coming off the line. Last night it was Reddox in the middle for goodness sake.

Any word on Smid?

60. Kris says:

BCB:

I’m not so much elite as an elitist… just kidding.

Obviously, the AHL time has done Brule a world of good. Kudos to the brass. And keeping him down there a little longer could help him further.

However, there’s a limit. At some point, he needs to get back to the bigs. There will come a time when practicing with an NHL team and playing even a few minutes a night will be better for his development than dominating in the A.

Is that time now? I think we can only tell after we’ve seen him play 1-2 games here, even if he only sees a couple of minutes in those games.

It’s pretty simple; send him down for 25 games, then give him a shot, if he doesn’t succeed, send him down for 25 more. His waiver eligibility doesn’t prevent this.

61. Bruce says:

Kris: No?

62. Kris says:

In other words, not playing Brule or playing him sparingly isn’t a problem.

63. B.C.B. says:

Kris: The ‘elite’ comment was a joke.

I also think the fourth line needs to play tonight, but any line with HuggyBear on it has seen minimal ice this year. Maybe Brule is the Glenncross-like player we have been hoping for.

I would be happy if Brule was going to play on the top three lines, and start eating up his few remaining waiver-free games, but fourth line I am not so happy with. I think he should only be on the Oiler’s fourth line after his waiver-free eligability is over, and either on the NHL or AHL top three lines till then.

64. Kris says:

Thanks for trying Bruce.

Yeah, there is a way on my TV of paying to see NHL games, but it costs just enough money to make my wife kill me if I get it.

65. Dennis says:

BCB: No, it doesn’t make sense that you’d waste one of his few waiver remaining games to play on a makeshift 4th line.

And I think you give the 4th line a couple of shifts to start and then you see how it goes. I know the boys played last night but they don’t play anymore until Thurs so I’d ride the top 9 hard unless we get out to a big lead or we get out to a big deficit.

It would be nice if the papers did some digging and found out just many games we have before Brule loses his waiver exemption.

66. Kris says:

I’d bet MacT double shifts somebody -or a few somebodies- on the fourth line a few times.

It allows him to get a good look at how Brule plays with decent team mates. And MacT stated he liked doing it when SMac was in the lineup– he can spread icetime around or some such.

67. B.C.B. says:

Dennis: I did some digging about waiver eligability.

According to the NHL CBA (http://www.nhl.com/cba/2005-CBA.pdf)
    Article 13.4 deals with exempt players. If you were 18 years old and signed with a club (which Brule was) you would have five years or 160 games which would where exempt from waivers.

Brule has played three seasons and 146 games (according to http://www.nhl.com/ice/player.htm?id=8471680). I think this means he has to play two full seasons in the minors or only 14 NHL games till he will have to go through waivers and re-entry waivers.

I am not MSM media, but I think that works: Brule has 14 games, or now only 13 games left till waivers kicks in.

68. Coach pb9617 says:

He is, but he hasn’t taken all that many.

Any word on Smid?

He’s out there again.

69. Coach pb9617 says:

Fourth line is Reddox – Brule – Strudwick

Blech.

70. Coach pb9617 says:

Oh Penner. Nabakov couldn’t see the puck around your giant ass.

71. J says:

nice goal alex

72. kinger says:

CBC is such a fucking joke.

“Alex Hemsky”

Not only did Crawford say it, it was on the “x goal of the season” graphic.

73. J says:

imagine if they fugged up one of the laffs names

74. spOILer says:

wow Hemmer! Tell me that’s not a goal-scorer’s goal. Toe drags into the screen and rifles it.

When did you change your
    name to Alex, btw?

75. spOILer says:

now it’s back to Ales

76. Showerhead says:

That was absolutely freaking gorgeous from Hemsky. Plays it into the screen and delays until he picks the perfect corner. Gorgeous.

77. kebz33 says:

Great shot by Alex Hemsly

78. J says:

wow dustin how is it possible to get lost?

79. Coach pb9617 says:

Heady play Ladi.

Well done kid.

80. spOILer says:

remind me to punch Mark and Marc in the mouth when I see’em.

81. Coach pb9617 says:

Schremp looks like schit. You’re slow schugartits, your feet can never stop.

Staios looks achingly slow.

This is really really tough to watch. Does anyone track attack zone time?

82. Showerhead says:

I don’t know how many of you caught the Dallas Stars last post-season but this entire SJ team looks like Brenden Morrow on the top of his game. Fast, aggressive, hard on the puck, and more than enough skill.

83. speeds says:

so, is this the fastest first period anyone’s seen in an NHL game, or what?

84. RiversQ says:

Roloson is stealing one just like the good old days in SJ. I’m pretty sure they get killed if the chances stay this way.

85. Showerhead says:

88 should not consistently be the last man off the ice on his line. Don’t get comfy yet, Robbie.

86. Coach pb9617 says:

What happens when you input infinity into CORSI?

87. Showerhead says:

speeds: yes. That’s all there is to it.

and oh look, a penalty. as if SJ needed a hand.

88. mcmatterson says:

Thus far, I’ve heard Crawford refer to Dwayne Rolofson, Alex Hemsky, and Jarret Stall. Think he can make it an even five?

89. Baroque says:

Goalie force field activated?

The only explanation I can come up with. :)

(Also, chuckling at “Alex Hemsky.”)

90. B.C.B. says:

Well it looks like MacT is rolling the lines tonight. It is necessary tonight to keep the first and third line rested for the third period.

91. Showerhead says:

4 minutes? as if SJ neded the hand.

Also, Horc saw the blueline there and figured he can score from there now. ;)

92. Baroque says:

Is English Crawford’s first language?

Because he speaks so carefully and yet inaccurately, with really strange pauses as though he is trying to find the correct word.

93. RiversQ says:

What’s with CBC’s angle in SJ? It looks like Olympic ice.

94. Sean M. says:

Fuck…

95. Coach pb9617 says:

Is English the first language of these two announcers?

96. speeds says:

Too bad, would have been great to get out of that period up a goal.

Still, they will end up playing this 20 minutes period in, what, 25-26 minutes of real time? Pretty amazing.

97. Baroque says:

Well…

Edmonton has an awesome shooting percentage!

98. uni says:

Wow, figured the game would start at 10:10 PM EST and just got the game up in time to see the goal with 5.5 seconds left in the 1st at 10:36 PM? Also shots 1 to 16 San Jose?

Well the heck sort of game is going on here?

99. speeds says:

good thing you missed that period uni, it was ugly.

Hemsky’s goal was worth checking out though.

100. Dennis says:

I had the chances at 11-2 SJ but I’ll go back later to see if some shots made it through or were tipped and it might change from there.

Some notes:

- at around the 8:00 mark there was a battle on Smid’s side but he didn’t chase and stayed in his place and made a nice play to break up a potentially dangerous situation.

- Can’t remember the time but 78 chased JR down the right win and picked his pocket and then started a nice clean breakout. When he puts his mind to it he’s one of the headiest defensive guys on the club.

- the Pavelski tip from in close came because both 78-88 over-persued on the forecheck. Both guys went in kamikazee style and SJ broke it quite easily: left D threw it to the LW who passed it back to the right D and then the breakout began

- there was one particularly gallingly long shift from 88 where the 4th line followed the New Kids and 57-85 were out there forever with 88 still sticking around.

- 83 missed 10 WIDE open in the left slot and that doesn’t happen very often.

- tought night for our Bruce. 46 sits and 83 scores another goal;)

- excellent early work on the PK by 85. He mucked around to the right of Roli and was between two Sharks but he still won the battle.

But you know that’s the way the Oilers PK goes. It’s been so bad for so long and that’s been so deserved that things just catch up to them.

101. HBomb says:

Recipe for a good Saturday night:

- 1 part Kahlua
    - 1 part Cherry Whisky
    - 1 part milk
    - 1 part Coca Cola

I’ve had….several.

Second period, comin’ up!

102. Loxy says:

We might get another shot!

103. Loxy says:

Sorry for jinxing.

104. Coach pb9617 says:

The scheen is off.

105. Showerhead says:

HBomb: what is this Cherry Whiskey you speak of?

106. R3dm3n8c3 says:

Kris:

I live in San Fran now and I use

to find where I can stream games. I always find at least one that works for me,

107. Bruce says:

tought night for our Bruce. 46 sits and 83 scores another goal;)

Dennis: Ales can score as much as he likes, I don’t mind. As for Zack sitting and Strudwick playing out of position, I don’t agree but MacT has had a hard-on for Struds since the beginning, all statistics and logic to the contrary. Maybe he’s headache-insurance.

108. Showerhead says:

I’m not sure if this is Hemsky being confident or feeling that Edmonton can only beat SJ while carried on his back but he has tried to engage the Sharks 1-on-1 nearly every play up the ice.

Variety is the spice of life… but do you think he’s got one more in him tonight?

109. Showerhead says:

Horc saves a goal.

110. Lord Bob says:

Aaaaaaaaaaah!

Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaah!

AaaaaaaaaaaaAAAAaaaaaah!

111. Coach pb9617 says:

Man, you can count on one hand the number of Oilers that seem like they belong in this game.

These Sharks…they’re good.

112. Sean M. says:

Way too many chances in front of the net…

113. Showerhead says:

Well damn. Even the shitty sharks can score. That was an ugly one – in my opinion, much worse than SJ’s first.

114. Coach pb9617 says:

That was just pathetic. Souray was a spectator there.

This might be a 50 shot game.

115. Loxy says:

One hand or one finger?

How come we can’t clear the puck from the front of the net?

116. Bruce says:

Oh ferfuxsakes. Knock somebody the fuck down. Are we playing by women’s rules in front of our own goddam net?

Come to think of it, put that scramble into a women’s game and one or two ladies would have been on her ass. The Sharks? Not so much.

117. Lord Bob says:

I understand that the flu got so bad they had to replace the Oilers with the Springfield Falcons, but couldn’t they at least change the uniforms?

118. Showerhead says:

Credit to the Sharks’ fans for the noise they’ve been making. Louder on TV than Rexall, that’s for sure.

119. Sean M. says:

An aside, anybody watching the De La Hoya, Pacquiao fight?

120. Bruce says:

Sharks = too big, too fast, way too good. Especially when we’re playing our third game in four nights in three different cities for about the 13th time this season.

But there is absolutely no time and space out there at all.

121. Showerhead says:

I should mention that if not for being up against the SJS, Gilbert Brule would look like he had made a good debut tonight.

122. Lord Bob says:

Sometimes, a coach has to throw chairs at players.

In the second intermission, MacTavish needs to throw players at chairs.

123. Bruce says:

“Stupid” question: who’s the thinker on the Moreau-Brodziak-Cole line? I sure hope it’s Brodz …

124. HBomb says:

HBomb: what is this Cherry Whiskey you speak of?

You can find it in the liqueur section of your local liquor store. And it is delicious.

Typing is difficult right now. Possibly aided by the fact I drank half a 26 of spiced rum while making dinner.

125. Loxy says:

I’m pleased to see Semenov getting some minutes with the Sharks.

126. Showerhead says:

Between the lightning first and the extended delay before San Jose touched the puck, there have been some neat things to see from a hockey purist’s perspective.

127. Coach pb9617 says:

Awesome. Schremp with the blind drop pass.

If I’m coach, by this point, I’m impaling people when they do that.

128. B.C.B. says:

ShowerHead: I would say that Brule has had a good night. So far he has 4:28min of EV ice time, 1 hit and 1 missed shot. That is not impressive.

Even if he continues in the third, when he will be stapled to the bench; I am saying it is a waste of his waiver-except eligibility (which sits at 13 games after tonight by my count).

129. B.C.B. says:

Sorry, I should have typed “I wouldn’t say Brule has had a good game”

sorry

130. Bruce says:

BCB: I’m not too worried about that. By the time he plays those 13 games, whenever that is, he’ll be here to stay.

131. Coach pb9617 says:

Pouliot is one of the Oilers that looks like he belongs in this game.

132. Coach pb9617 says:

I love you Dustin.

I mean it.

Call me.

133. Showerhead says:

And we get to keep the powerplay! Souray totally planned that stick break.

134. Lord Bob says:

Did you know that Sheldon Souray knows how to do a wristshot?!?

135. B.C.B. says:

This is great. We have barely played ok, and we are tied with a powerplay in the last two minutes of the 2nd.

I am glad I am watching

Go Oilers Go

136. slipper says:

I imagine we can just shut-up for the time being on whether or not fat, lazy, apathetic Penner is effective on the PP.

137. speeds says:

Learn something new every day. Delayed penalty is still called if that team is already shorthanded when a goal is scored.

138. Lord Bob says:

Nice play by Jabba the Hutt on the powerplay there. Of course, the guy’s so gigantic that the puck could hardly not deflect off of him.

The way Penner’s playing, MacTavish is going to buy him a cow for dinner.

139. Coach pb9617 says:

Good to see the Grebs was prepared with enough acid for the entire trip.

140. bookie says:

Ok, I am loving this game. The Oilers have been getting schooled on work ethic. I mean, each one of them has been made to look pathetic (the Oilers).

This is a lesson that they need to get. If this doesn’t ignite a fire under them over the next couple of weeks, I don’t know what will. They look like freeking children the way the Sharks beat them up through the first 90minutes.

So, I am loving it because I want them to learn something (I hope they still win).

141. Showerhead says:

Bookie: honestly, I think the Oilers are playing near the max end of their intensity range. The Sharks are just that much better at it.

142. RiversQ says:

Penner’s definitely playing like he gives a shit tonight. I’m guessing he doesn’t like these guys from his Anaheim days. He’s already been in more scrims after the whistle in this game than the rest of the year combined.

I was hoping he would strangle Oake there too.

143. slipper says:

Dead Panner.

144. Bruce says:

Geez, Scott Oake is an even bigger jerk than Gene Principe. He asked his asshole question on national TV.

Way to keep your cool Dustin.

145. Fake Craig McTavish says:

Coach pb9617 said…
    I love you Dustin.

I mean it.

Call me.

Craig Ferguson is making inroads everywhere.

146. Showerhead says:

Yeah, whoa. Isn’t there a nicer way to spin it than that? I mean I’m just a lowly blogger but even I would have suggested using more tact than that.

147. Sean M. says:

“Silicone” Valley, Ron? Really?

148. Dennis says:

Did you see the look on 27′s face as he walked away from Oake?

To be honest Oake pulls that shit all the time but 27 probably thought he’d catch a break given that Principe wasn’t the one asking the questions;)

I think tonight’s a result of the Sharks being at times dominant and the Oilers being at times dummies and plus missing 34 and a couple of kids and replacing them with guys with even less experience.

Two notes:

- early in the period on a Sharks PP 10 had a chance to get down to block a shot but he didn’t even bother. I wonder if the coaching staff has instructed guys not to block shots as a rule. Something must be going on.

- couple of more impressive PK segments from 85.

That’s all I got. I would be elated with a point given how we’re playing but one of these years it would be nice not to have 10 games a year where you’re outplayed to the point of embarrassment.

149. bookie says:

Hey, I know it was a while ago (I was 20min behind on the game), but did you catch Dustin Penner’s comments about how he has played better since he was playing with Horc and Hemsky. I am pretty sure this is a dig at MacT. He basically said he was playing better since his sitting (and public drubbing) because he is finally on the right line.

150. Bruce says:

Speeds: I call that the “Wayne Gretzky Rule”. Used to be if you were on a powerplay, got a delayed penalty, and scored 6-on-4, somehow both penalties were cancelled.

So one night in MSG, around about 1980 or ’81, the Oilers are tied with the Rangers, 2-2, last minute of the second. Oilers are on the PP and as Gretzky walks out from behind the net he gets hacked. Gretz sees the ref’s arm go up, and instantly lays a perfect five-foot pass on the tape of the nearest Ranger defender. Buddy doesn’t even know he has it yet, and the ref blows the whistle for change of possession. Two man advantage!

“Why would he do that?” the colur guy asks, but I know the answer. Why kill two penalties with one goal, or waste a bunch of time on the first penalty? So sure enough, on the 5-on-3, Gretzky scores. 3-2. Now it’s a 5-on-4, and Gretzky scores again. 4-2. The buzzer sounds to end the period and the game has been completely transformed, winding up 5-3 Oilers. Gretzky has not only drawn the penalty and caused the whistle to blow, but then scored both goals to slam home the point with his usual exclamation marks.

About ten years later the league finally caught up to the Great One and changed the rule. Now a delayed penalty 6-on-4 goal lets the first guy out of the box, but the new penalty gets served in full.

Gretzky was the greatest thinker the game has ever known, and it seemed like the rule book was ingrained right in his fast-twitch fibres. He was something to watch, and something else to truly appreciate.

151. Coach pb9617 says:

Watched the second period in fast forward during intermission – Moreau laid down to block a shot and watched his man walk around him.

Again.

152. Lord Bob says:

Tough play by Marc-Andre Schremp.

153. Baroque says:

Way to keep your cool Dustin.

I missed it. What did he say to him?

154. doritogrande says:

Just got home for the Penner goal. 31-10 after two periods?? Yeah, we played last night.

Roloson looks strong.

I’ve seen Brule tonight, who’s not playing? Reddox or Stortini?

155. Lord Bob says:

Stortini’s not in the lineup.

Reddox isn’t playing in the sense that he’s skating around and being useless.

156. Showerhead says:

doritogrande: now that you’re here, thank you for the Stats heads up in the other threads. Welcome to a wild one!

157. uni says:

Whoever made that joke about San Jose outplaying them badly, Roloson playing out of his mind, and an eventual Oilers shootout win…well I don’t want to jinx this.

158. Bruce says:

Nice shot block by Penner after a real bad clear by Visnovsky. It’s not a good feeling when our first line gets pinned in our end, cuz the other lines sure aren’t going anywhere.

159. Coach pb9617 says:

Schremp schtinks tonight. Worst Oiler on the ice. I’d like to see Brule replace him for the rest of the game.

160. doritogrande says:

showerhead:

No worries man. It’s a boring as hell class, so I’d avoid it unless you a) have some sort of odd passion for statistics or b) are forced to take it for degree requirements.

I, am option b.

161. Coach pb9617 says:

Stats guys might slaughter me tomorrow, but Horcoff seems quietly effective tonight.

162. slipper says:

“He basically said he was playing better since his sitting (and public drubbing) because he is finally on the right line.”

That’s basically the truth, isn’t it?

163. doritogrande says:

Who wants to bet Roloson saw that one?

164. Showerhead says:

The ol’ Roli delay. Thank you for being such a wily bastard.

165. doritogrande says:

Who’s doing the commentary here?

Roloson doesn’t have a mask! ROLOSON DOESN’T HAVE HIS MASK!!!

166. Lord Bob says:

This is the best game Roloson has played as an Oiler.

Actually, this is the best game I remember any Oiler goaltender playing since Game 7 in 1997.

I can’t figure this bastard out.

(Also, Reddox, Grebeshkov, Brodziak, and Cogliano at least have been worse than Schremp. Lot of kids on this list…)

167. Bruce says:

Baroque: Two questions, both about the benching, the second of which he framed as “your public dressing down by Craig MacTavish”. Unlike last night, Penner was not amused. But he said the right thing, credited his linemates, and gave Oake a quizzical look as he walked away at the end.

168. Sean M. says:

It’s “Roloson,” Marc Crawford, not “Rolofson”

169. Lord Bob says:

You can always tell how well Roloson’s playing by how many times he loses his stick and his mask. If he does the underhand-tennis-serve thing with the puck, you can basically put the game in the book.

170. Loxy says:

I am yelling at the tv.

YELLING.

This game is constantly terrifying.

171. speeds says:

Pouliot has a real knack for forcing the opposition to turn the puck over behind their own net.

172. doritogrande says:

I don’t think my sphincter can pucker any harder.

I’m not going to mind cheering for this San Jose team this spring. They’re going globetrotters on the Oilers in the third. And, judging by the shot totals from the previous periods, I missed two periods of similar action.

Roloson’s playing like a #1 tonight.

173. Baroque says:

@ Bruce: Thank you, meteorite head. :)

That does seem like a blunt and dumb question.

It might be nice if the Oilers could clear a puck once in a while instead of spitting the rebounds directly back at the Sharks for another barrage of shots.

174. Bruce says:

Kyle the thinker looks up, sees Joe Freaking Thornton between him and the Oiler net, and passes the puck right on Thornton’s stick.

That might be the bonehead play of the year right there, even though nothing came of it. (“Nothing” defined as another scramble in which my blood pressure soears to 300:200 and the puck does everything but enter the net.)

175. Oilmaniac says:

Ive only been able to see the last five minutes and ‘Oh MAN!’

The guys that predicted a 20 vs 40 shot count and Roloson get shelled, wow, totally on cue…

Intense, Go OIL!!!

176. uni says:

This is incredibly more entertaining that it should be be. If I had a proper seat I’m sure I’d be off the edge of it by now…I’m just happy I still have a youngish heart.

177. Keegan says:

This game totally takes me back to game 3 versus San Jose in thwe 06 run. I remember after watching the first two games of the series feeling like the series was lost (it is my opinion we got drubbed in both).

Mainly though I am just reminded of Roloson’s stellar play that game. The save in 2OT on Cheechoo comes to mind (it was Cheechoo right? I has a bit to drink that summer).

Hell of a game despite the fact that we are again getting drubbed.

Shremp is floating allot this game.

178. Bruce says:

The other thing is that when the Oilers do try to clear the puck, the nearest Shark just waves his stick and knocks the puck out of the air. Must have happened 100 times in this game, espeically along the boards in our zone. (Like there is another zone?) There are just no clean passes to be had out there.

179. Showerhead says:

doritogrande: you were an Engineering student, IIRC? As for me, I’m applying for the Genetics Honours program and will just have to force myself through whatever boredom lies ahead. I honestly didn’t mind STAT 1000, which wrapped up today, so that’s a good sign.

Right? :)

180. doritogrande says:

Oh man….Ohhhhh man.

Bad Penalty for Gilbert to be taking.

181. Bruce says:

Two for hip checking in a tie game with 5 minutes left. Why do we always get Ben Dover reffing our games? That’s just brutal.

182. Baroque says:

Since when does Edmonton have players named “Morrow” and “Reddick?”

Crawford annoys me more with each syllable.

183. Showerhead says:

Don’t want to jinx but Reddox is having a fine game on the pk.

184. doritogrande says:

showerhead:

Zoology major actually. Environmental Science minor, and co-op diploma program.

I’ve heard great things about the genetics program. You’re basically a viking. Picking and plundering from about 5 different department’s courses. You, like I, will need a lot of chemistry in your second year. Hope you’re up for Biochem and Organic chem, cuz I’be been working on those courses for the last three years. They’re the bane of my existance.

Are you by any chance taking ENVR2000?

185. doritogrande says:

Bruce, I thought it was an iffy penalty first too, but Gilbert did actually throw his knee into it, somehow causing a 6’4″ bethemoth to topple.

186. Kris says:

Brule still playing.

Big vote of confidence from the coach.

187. Lord Bob says:

Pouliot, Brodziak, and Brule out against the Marleau-Thornton combo and they kept it in more-or-less in the San Jose end.

Promising.

188. Baroque says:

I loved organic chemistry? :)

Although that was years ago. I’m thinking about going back to shcool part-time to get a chem major (I only have a minor) because if I want to understand more about population genetics I will need a better chem background.

I would also need more math to understand the models used in ecology nowadays.

189. Loxy says:

POINT!

190. doritogrande says:

How does this team give up a three goal lead to the Kings one night, and steal a point from the Sharks in their rink the next night?

Get me a psych major.

191. Showerhead says:

A point a point a point!!! House money, whoop!

192. Coach pb9617 says:

Mac listens to me. I like it.

193. Bruce says:

The next Oiler who, in any zone, passes the puck back in the direction of his own goal line should be relegated to the press box next game. This has got to Stop.

That said, we’ll take the one point.

194. Showerhead says:

doritogrande: LOL at the irony of you not knowing, but I am a BA Psych grad. And I still have no fucking clue why the Oilers do what they do.

195. Loxy says:

I would like Hemsky to make me proud in overtime.

196. doritogrande says:

“I would also need more math to understand the models used in ecology nowadays.”

I’ve taken 3 ecology-related courses, and the only math I’ve needed, aside from 2+2=4, is chi-square analysis. Which can be done with any statistical analysis software.

197. doritogrande says:

Overtime penalty for the Sharks!

MORE house money!

198. Showerhead says:

OT powerplay! Since you’re out there somewhere Loxy, SQUEE!!

Newer Comments »