Panthers at Oilers, G27/08-09

This is Jay Bouwmeester from his AHL time (San Antonio Rampage). There are all kinds of rumors on the Al Gore about the Panthers shopping him and there has been a mention or two about the Oildrop.

Providing Edmonton could sign him to a long term deal I think it would be a stroke of genius. I’m not saying trade Hemsky or Gagner, or really even Horcoff or Lubo (which wouldn’t be a part of the equation anyway) but a deal involving Cogliano, Gilbert and something for Bouwmeester and something else might work.

Right?

The Oilers have been getting some good results lately and making some slight progress in the WC. They’ve played the same number of games as Minnesota (26) and are 3 behind in terms of points (29-26) and that ladies and gentlemen is one tough club those Jack Lemaire’s.

Players to watch include Ales Hemsky, Lubomir Visnovsky and Rob Schremp.

And I’m not even kidding.

According to tsn, Schremp is on a line with Cogs and Poo (and they’re all getting results) while Gagner is on the 4line with Reddox and Brule. Man a lot of young men are at forward these days.

137 Responses to "Panthers at Oilers, G27/08-09"

1. heed says:

trust me when i say this…the bouwmeester thing will never, ever happen.

it will be interesting to see how that 4th line plays tonight. i feel a goal on the works for at least one of those teenagers.

2. Schitzo says:

Until more is known about what the cap will do, I can’t think the oilers are looking to add more dollars on the back end.

3. Black Dog says:

Reddox isn’t a teenager, heed.

He’s 12.

Yeah I think Bouwmeester is a no go and here’s another thought nobody has touched on – going into 2010/11 the Oilers will have 36 million tied up in 10 players. And Cogliano and Gagner up for raises.

With the cap probably dropping.

This could be a problem

4. quain says:

Whatever page you’re using for points is a few point out of date, LT. Minnesota is at 31, Edmonton at 28… sentiment is the same, but you know, I just really, really wanted to be the one to nitpick this time!

I love Bouw, but do we really want three extremely high dollar defensemen for a long-term? If Souray or Lubo isn’t going the opposite direction it’s going to be an expensive back-end trying for the same minutes. You only need so many high priced closers.

5. HBomb says:

I’d offer Souray, Nilsson and a 1st for Bouwmeester. Might extend it to include Visnovsky instead of 44 if it was needed, but I’d prefer not.

Gilbert’s as untouchable as Gagner and Hemsky IMO (Horcoff’s outside this group, but just barely).

Cogliano? Would have been OK with it a few months ago, but right now, damn I’d hate to give the kid up. They’d have to have J-Bo’s signature on a Phaneuf-style extension (39 over 6 years) before pulling the trigger, or so you think.

That being said, Bouwmeester is an incredible talent. 45 points a year, great skater, plays at both ends, probably close to a lock for the Olympic team….in terms of best all around defensemen in the game not named Nik Lidstrom, he’s certainly in the discussion.

If the Oilers want a “superstar”, it’s either him, wait for next year and try to deal for Kovalchuk, or make another pitch to Hossa this summer. I’d be OK with “any of the above” being added to the mix, really.

6. budorduke says:

I gotta say I’d be a big fan of having a top four of Souray, Vish, Gilbert and Bouwmeester. That would be one of the better defense cores in the league. The money needed to keep all four would be a little crazy and holding onto our young forwards may be tough but man would that be a great D core.

7. Kris says:

I doubt we could get Bowmeester and sign him. Nonetheless, I disagree with some of the comments so far:

a.) Bowmeeseter’s contract would give us cap problems. But those are the problems you want to have. “Oh noz! I haz so many good, pricey players that I haz to trade one for draft picks.” That is, his contract will only be a problem if it’s an over pay, not just if it’s a high number.

b.)Cogliano, Nilson, Gilbert, and Grebs are all good players, but they’re all worth far less than Bowm. If all it takes is Cogs plus other miscellaneous picks, prospects and average roster players, you do that trade in a heart beat. (Of course, the Oil only make the trade at all, if Bowmeester will sign.)

8. Jonathan says:

I'd be comfortable with using Gilbert as a centerpiece, or maybe even Cogliano, but not both.

In any case, I think the Oilers have named their top three going forward, and I don't expect any changes.

9. Kris says:

Jonathon says:

"I'm torn on this, because I'm really not convinced that Gilbert & Cogliano for Bouwmeester and something else is a good deal unless that "something else" is a pretty good player."

I imagine the extra player coming from Florida in that deal would be either a middling propsect or an average-ish bottom 6 forward. I'd do that deal, but I can se why you're nervous. It's a tough call.

10. Doogie2K says:

Hasn’t Bouwmeester indicated on several occasions that he has no interest in signing in Canada, especially at “home” in Edmonton? It seems to me all this discussion is wholly irrelevant, because we’re never going to have him long-term anyway.

Now, if you want to talk trade-deadline rental, that’s another story. This isn’t the year for that sort of thing, I don’t think, because it’d be too expensive (we’re still talking Cogs-plus, probably), and this probably isn’t a team that’s going much past round two, but it seems more realistic than signing him to a long-term deal.

11. Phil says:

I seem to remember a quote from Bouwmeester quite some time ago (around his draft day maybe?) where basically he stated he would not want to play for his home town team. It’s foggy in my memory – not sure if it was a rumour, or hearsay or whatnot, but it’s there nonetheless. Anyone else remember this at all?

That said, I could live with Gilbert going the other way, but in my books, Cogs is right there with Gagner in regards to players whom the team needs to hold on to in order to see what they really have. I’ve read here a number of comments about how frustrating it is to see players blossom once they leave Edmonton. I think that Cogliano would be at the head of that group should he leave to a team desperate for talent and get first line minutes in a soft division…

12. Lord Bob says:

Hasn’t there been some sort of Bouwmeester-to-Edmonton rumour since the kid was born? I’m sure I remember reading some fluff piece in the Edmonton Sun saying “Jay Bouwmeester, age 5, puts the finishing touches on a picture of a house, and is rumoured to be heading to the Oilers for Rem Murray and Misha Joukov.”

13. Schitzo says:

More like “oh noz! Teh cap is 44 millions!!1 Nobodies will tak him in tradez!”

14. RiversQ says:

I get the impression J-Bo really really doesn’t want to play in Canada. Money talks (right CC?) so anything is possible but Edmonton would have a tough time with the extension.

I also can’t see this when the Oilers are spending Florida Marlins money (as in the whole franchise) on two blueliners already. Bumping that up to nearly 40% of the cap on three dmen is just bonkers considering the forwards probably drive results. The only way they could realistically do this would involve dumping Souray’s deal.

15. goldenchild says:

A real live hockey game, fun.
    A couple of intersting things in the papers the last few days. 1 was an article about 83 taking the next step and Ales made comments about wanting to be a star and a +PPG player. I love that he is willing to say that. I know the good old hockey answer is as long as we get W’s I am happy and the only points that matter are the 2. But we don’t get 2 pts or W’s if he isn’t creating offense he knows that and is willing to put himself out there and say it like all great players are.

The other thing that I noticed is the coach finally had something complimentary to say about 78, I think it was the first time this year. If he can keep up his recent play he may get a real life shot at that #3C job that so many of us think he could be the right fit as.

This is a night where anything but 2 pts would be horribly dissapointing.

16. doritogrande says:

Figures. The only game this week and I’ve gotta work. Thanks NHL.

On Boumeester: He’ll likely command 6-mil on the open market, and if we get that Gilbert contract off the books, the money breakdown isn’t all that unfeasible. Some seem to forget that Tom is making a man’s salary now. But I don’t think FLA would be looking for defense in return. Even without Boumeester they’ve got a pretty good defense there. McCabe’s looking better having left Leaf-town, Ballard and Boynton were great pickups from Phoenix, and they’ve got this Bryan Allen fellow who I’d love to have on this team. All this means we’d be parting with a F, and if it’s me trying to build a package for Boumeester it’d be a player (Nilsson), a prospect (Trukhno) and a pick (2nd round). Anything else is an overpay, especially given his impending free agent status.

17. Coach pb9617 says:

Holy moly, hockey!

Sadistic schedule maker with roadie back to backs and then weeks between home games.

I’m glad to see that Gagner has been kicked lower. He’s not effective right now, and he needs to get his head out of his posterior.

If he throws a blind drop pass tonight, trade him and Grebs and stuff to Florida for Bouwmeester tonight.

I predict Cole finally increases that shooting percentage and pots two.

The big question, in my mind, is did Grebs remember his acid?

18. Kris says:

You want to trade me Crosby and Malkin? No thanks. What we do with their salaries if the cap fell? And with Horcoff’s salary, we’d have all our money tied up with 3 forwards.

19. R-Gib says:

Further to Black Dogs comment above regarding the cap:
    In determining whether a Bouwmeester deal is feasible for the Oil, the question to ask is: How much of your cap are you willing to tie up in your back end? I would say 20M is on the high end of things… and to swing a deal for Bouw (who would sign for ~6-7M/yr I’m guessing) we really need to lose Souray or Visnovsky or both.
    Personally, I like Souray and Nilsson and a pick/prospect for a long-term signed Bouw.

20. Traktor says:

I would rather have Gilbert and a 3-4 million dollar D (Volchenkov) than Bouwmeester and strudwick.

Why would someone trade away one of the better contracts on the team for a guy who’s going to hit a home run deal?

Cogliano is better than Gagner now, he was better than Gagner last year and he will be better than Gagner in the future. If we move one of the kids the last guy it should be is a talented Rudi Rudiger.

21. Traktor says:

dorito – I think he’s going to get much more than 6 mill, even with the cap uncertainty. Because of his age, and still untapped ability, Bouwmeester might be the most attractive rearguard that we seen available on the market in quite some time. He’s a franchise defender that still has a decade of hockey left in him.

I think he gets closer to 8M – the only way to win at an action is to outbid the other bidders.

22. oilerdiehard says:

23. Jonathan says:

I guess the decision rests on what the team plans to do moving forward. Personally, I’m not that comfortable with Souray/Visnovsky as the top two, mostly because of age/injury concerns.

I am convinced that the Tom Gilbert contract is going to be a bargain down the road, so I’m not worried about him, but those three guys are the money on the back end. I’m pretty sure Grebeshkov and Staios are going to get moved a little ways down the road, and replaced with some averagish-bottom 4 guys.

There is precious little room for Bouwmeester unless Visnovsky/Souray is going the other way and I just don’t see it.

24. knighttown says:

@ Coach

I’ve been chuckling at your Grebeshkov/LSD take for the past few weeks, especially on that one play where he, I believe on the power play, gained the blue line, did a Dougie Weight “lateral skate” to the half boards, looked back to where he would normally be at the point, saw no one and passed it there anyway.

But it finally should be discussed. What the fuck is he thinking? I mean, this guy wasn’t just serviceable last year (after Christmas), he was damned fantastic. Go back and look at the tapes. All the attention goes to Gagner and his regression but the decline of Grebs has been no less alarming, in fact probably more so considering his age.

So what is it? Has he been scouted and his tricks are all well known by the opposition ala Smid and the spin-o-rama? Is he nicked up? Is he actually on Acid?

We had about 10 guys that got off to a slow start (Hemsky, Horcoff, Gagner, Cole, Penner, Cogs, Grebs, Gilbert, Garon and Visnovsky) and all except Cole, Gagner, Grebs and Garon have become the players we hoped they would by the quarter pole. Which ones are we worried are not coming around anytime soon. Grebs to me is on the bottom of the worry list:

-Garon
    -Gagner
    -Cole
    -Grebeshkov

I “think” he’ll be fine based on last years remarkable turnaround but Christ, hurry up already.

25. Coach pb9617 says:

and he will be better than Gagner in the future

Goin off the rails of a crazy train…

26. Sean says:

I’d trade/sign for JBo in a heartbeat if he was willing to sign an extension. He’d be a better pickup that Hossa or Gaborik IMO.

27-10-83
    18-51-26
    88-13-78
    85-67-89

Thats a lineup that should change for Saturday. The highlights from the Canucks-Nashville game on Wednesday is a strong indicator the Oilers will need to beef up or they will get their show run. On a positive note, that should create lots of competition among the forwards tonight and a favourable result.

27. Coach pb9617 says:

YES! He passed to the ghost man!

They are playing similar mental games right now.

Gotta be acid. What other explanation is there for playing catch up high with a ghostman?

Man, remember when Conklin used to play like he was on acid? The puck would go behind the net and he’d just flop to the ice like he was making a save.

I bet Grebs has residue left from Conklin.

28. B.C.B. says:

Garon is in the net tonight (according to Oiler’s website).

I think it is the right move, play Garon against a weaker team and see how he responds. It is maybe a way of getting his confidence back up (or a W under his belt for a trade).

What does this mean for JDD? Last game played Dallas on Nov. 20th, and last win Nov 10 against the Rangers. After tonight the next four games are two must-wins (hence Roli) against the Nucks, and also the Hawks and the Ducks, before another weak (Cotes) team is played again- Dec 22. When does JDD see the net again? Will it be a month between games?

29. Black Dog says:

I think Grebs uses Conks’ water bottle.

Terry Jones said it so it must be true.

Bouwmeester isn’t coming here – nice to dream though.

Next summer will be interesting though – will teams blow their wads and hope that the economy gets better or will everyone batten down the hatches?

30. DeBakey says:

the #9 prospect on your list was sent down to the Stockton Thunder today.

Petry has been sent to Stockton?!?

31. slipper says:

For 2009 to 2010 the Oilers currently have 17.7 million dollars in cap space dedicated to 4 defensemen (Souray, Vish, Gilbert, Staios). Let us call that the “base”.

They have two impending RFAs (Grebs, Smid) this summer.

Now if one of the top end base players is moved for someone in the 7.5-8+ million dollar salary range (in this case we’re talking ’bout Bouwmeester), it will boost that base cap to around 21 million dollar range.

If that’s the case you have to shore up the bottom end by low-balling Smid and promoting Peckham, or some other camp stand-out. Either that, or you put your hopes on finding a Kurt Saurer like deal in the off season.

Right now the 6-7 spots on the defense are a weakness. We’re not seeing any value in someone’s performance exceeding their cap hit. But currently there exists some financial room to improve upon with the right manouvering of players. If you increase that base cap hit though, all of the sudden that wiggle room is as tight as a vice.

IMO the money should be funneled into more experienced forwards, because good forwards can even make the Strudwicks of the hockey world look decent.

It all depends on what the real epxectations for the team is. I can’t see a top forward unit that regularly plays all of Poo, Cogs, Gagner, Brule, Reddox and the hockey Jesus as a contender. Maybe I’m anti-kids, though;)

32. HBomb says:

I’d say, right now, the Staios deal looks like a way bigger sore spot cap-hit wise than any of Souray, Visnovsky or Gilbert.

2.7 million for a bottom pairing defenseman is simply too much money. Leadership qualities be damned, I’d take anything I could get for him right now if I were the GM of this team.

If he was actually playing 2nd pairing minutes, it might be a different story….

33. Dennis says:

Acquiring JB would set off a few moves in order to balance the line-up and I’m not certain that’s something that Lowe’s up to.

Regarding tonight, we’re still icing a team without penalty killers so I’d like to see the Oil win a couple of 4-3 games where they continued to get light up on the PK. This means we’d get the points but the point would also be hammered home that we need to bring in guys that can kill penalties.

That doesn’t seem to be hitting home right now for some reason.

//Right now the 6-7 spots on the defense are a weakness. We’re not seeing any value in someone’s performance exceeding their cap hit//

How is the #6 spot a weakness? Smid is physical, young, cheap, and reasonably competent. 4 for 4.
    He has been on for what, one or two EV goals against all year.

Ditto for Strudwick as a #7 defensman.

(The problem is that MacT is currently playing the #7 over the number #6).

35. namflashback says:

Dennis,

They at least talked about it yesterday

36. bookie says:

JDD is likely sitting until an injury or a trade. In fact, i think he is essentially being kept around so that the Oilers can trade one of the other two at the deadline.

Sucks for JDD, but at the same time, they guy gets an NHL salary without having to prove he deserves it. His chance will come to back-up (and with it the opportunity to shine or not).

37. LMHF#1 says:

I see a distinct possibility for quality rentals this year. Adding Bouwmeester could be the final piece if we’re looking good heading the playoffs.

And thanks for the blog-add LT!

38. Bruce says:

Godot: It’s a weakness if you consider Staios as the #6. His performance is well below his cap hit. Yes, I realize Slipper included him in the “base”, which his contract says he should be, but from where I sit he’s firmly in the third pairing, and struggling.

The problem is that MacT is currently playing the #7 over the number #6

The problem has been MacT was playing the #7 over anybody.

39. Unleaded says:

Don’t know if this is a conversation that has already been had, but I was thinking about the players who were major penalty killers last year who were moved out over the summer – Stoll and Sakic. Part of their value was in their defensive play, but the other part was in their faceoff abilities.

With the change to the powerplay rules, in which the first faceoff always occurs in the penalized players’ zone, the value of winning faceoffs on the PP/PK increased dramatically. With our players who won those faceoffs getting turffed, this rule changed really just compounded the problem. Our strength became our weakness.

Add to this the change in the team’s direction regarding blocking shots (ie don’t do it), and all of a sudden the reason our PK blows becomes really clear. I can’t help but think that if management had known about this change earlier, they might have gone in a different direction this past offseason.

I really appreciate the value of having players who can PK, but I do have to wonder if having quality PK players is really more valuable than having an adiitional 2 lines of young scorers. Considering the peices we have right now, does it make sense to trade away players who could give the team a really impressive offense-first top 9 for some PK support? I know it will help the team have success now, but to what extent is that worth sacrificing the future?

Right now I’d have to say that I don’t want an moves made. Not until either:
    1 – we have to make a move due to roster considerations (players comming off the IR)
    2 – another GM offers us a deal we can’t refuse (a la Luongo deal)
    I’d rather suck more now and have ateam full of kids that could be really great than trade some of them away for some decent pk/plug players and see them really take off.

40. Steve says:

Nam: My first thought when I read the headline on that story was “Christ, there’s a PK worse than ours?”

41. Dennis says:

UL: Yeah, we’ve been into that point for awhile now. That was one of the things Ireland failed to address.

Not to mention that this club no longer blocks shots like they used and in their current infancy isn’t really built to kill penalties.

42. Kyle says:

You know my thoughts on Bouwmeester. Though Cogliano and Gilbert would both be tough to give away. Cogliano especially is on a value contract.

43. hunter1909 says:

I wonder what everyone’s theories as to why the Oilers are almost certainly to come out flat tonight for at least the first period.

44. hunter1909 says:

Oh yeah. Schremp with 2 goals tonight.

45. Chris says:

If Staois doesn’t start living up to the value of his contract by the end of the season they need to either look at trading him, encouraging him to retire or send him down to the AHL to get his salary off the books. Right now he’s playing like he’s worth about 700,000 and we’re paying him another two million on top of that..

46. knighttown says:

@Unleaded

Re: Stoll and Reasoner

There is no question that we miss both of these players but as for whether management would have done things differently I’d say:

1. Stoll/Greene vs. Visnovsky

Absolutely not. This trade is as close to our “Thornton” trade as we are going to get. Worst case scenario is that Stoll returns to his former self, Greene plays a solid number 4 and I then call the trade a wash. Stoll’s been pretty good by the numbers and LA must like Greene if they gave him an “A” but Visnovsky is a brilliant player.

2. Letting Reasoner go was basically choosing Pouliot over Reasoner. Marty’s put up some numbers in Atlanta but he never did here even when he played first line center for awhile (shudder). It is safe to assume he wouldn’t have brought any offense this year. DO NOT under estimate the difference between the Southeast and Northwest division. In the SE, the best defenseman (defensively) is in action tonight and the second may very well be our friend Joni. Add to that, the brutal goaltending and offensive systems and we can be pretty sure that Marty is the same old Marty.

Up to this point, Marty would be better than Poo even if you assume zero offense as I have above, however I’m seeing some signs, finally, from Marc. If he can put up 15/25 and start down the road of bringing some defense, I think it was the right time to move away from Marty. After all, this is a development year.

47. slipper says:

I typoed the first sentence above. It should have read from 2009 to 2011. The “base” is comprised of the defensemen who are under contract atleast to the end of the 2011 season.

He has been on for what, one or two EV goals against all year.

Ditto for Strudwick as a #7 defensman.

Going by games played and minutes Strudwick is currently the 6th D, and while he might be cheap, he sure isn’t competent. But that’s besides the point, because he’s not signed past this season.

Smid might be all those things you say, but if the Oilers are trading for an 8 million dollar defenseman, that means no Grebeshkov, and so Smid is #5.

In conclusion, the 6-7 spots are still looking weak going forward.

48. Coach pb9617 says:

Remember what the dormouse said.

49. hunter1909 says:

I find it strangely comforting, knowing that whatever the results, MacT gets the whole season no matter what.

50. Coach pb9617 says:

You can always count on Matt Cooke to take a dumb penalty

51. Bruce says:

Another GD Thursday night game, the 6th of my 8-week course. Had to turn down a ticket to the game again, too.

Oh well, I’ll just record it and catch up later. Enjoy the game, everyone!

52. DeBakey says:

To gauge the Oiler’s interest in young J-Bo

I’d suggest shecking his TOI numbers at the Whirled Hockey Champs last spring.

A certain coach who constantly loses the room was handling Canada’s D at that famous event.

53. PDO says:

Feeds tonight for the game? Anyone?

54. Oil4lyfe says:

game will be streamed live here http://www.justin.tv/indiocanada

55. Coach pb9617 says:

Stortini has found the basement of the doghouse.

56. Coach pb9617 says:

A ‘wonky’ knee? It’s odd that in the world of vague injuries, the Edmonton pbp guys throw out that Penner has a bad knee.

Wow, Gagner back in front of the net – that’s nice to see.

57. Steve says:

Apparently Dvorak is “the only player still on the Panthers from their ’96 cup run”.

That’s rather a loose definition of “still”.

58. B.C.B. says:

PDO: I think this feed is clearer

59. Coach pb9617 says:

Penner is this team’s second-best offensive zone passer.

60. mc79hockey says:

Does anyone else think that when guys go to FLA, it’s like they just drop off teh face of the planet? The combination of poor, but not awful, results in a media market that just doesn’t care about hockey, with seemingly little controversy is like death.

61. mc79hockey says:

Coach – Gregor mentioned that today too. Someone must have let that leak at practice or something.

62. Coach pb9617 says:

The mothereffing media says NOTHING about Garon’s status for a full month. As soon as the smallest word is out there about Penner’s knee, the whole world knows.

Effing pig-dog butt-kissers.

63. Coach pb9617 says:

Which is why they should be in [choose one]

Kansas City, Quebec, Regina/Saskatoon, Seattle, Winnipeg, Wisconsin

64. Coach pb9617 says:

Schremp isn’t moving his feet at all tonight. When you are that slow, things don’t come to you.

blah period. Gagner had a chance, Pouliot made a play and Hemsky looks like a killer all the time now he’s just gaps and country treys.

Oilers should win this game would be nice if it was 1-0 though.

66. Dennis says:

Ty: I had the same thought about Fla when Quinn mentioned McCabe making a play.

It’s just like guys retiring.

BTW, I had the Oilers winning the chances battle 7-4. 88 took another couple of long shifts and was the bad egg on that line and holy fuck did 44 ever make two brutal passes coming out of his zone without an ounce of forecheck pressure.

67. Paulus says:

I’ve a feeling that this Anderson fellow is the only reason Florida has won much this season. Boring period, but the Oil look to be on the right track offensively.

And two hockey teams in Florida makes even less sense than one hockey team in Florida.

68. Coach pb9617 says:

Heh. Smid is the stuff. Twice in that sequence he just hit a dude with fists to the face after a shot.

I really love watching him.

69. Kyle says:

To gauge the Oiler’s interest in young J-Bo

I’d suggest shecking his TOI numbers at the Whirled Hockey Champs last spring.

Here were my thoughts at the time on MacT’s handling of the defence ice time:

8 BURNS Brent D 6 1 5 6 8 +10 0 0 0 0 22 4.55 114:08
    22 KEITH Duncan D 6 0 1 1 2 +9 0 0 0 0 6 0.00 105:44

2 HAMHUIS Dan D 6 1 1 2 8 +5 0 0 0 0 5 20.00 101:27
    24 STAIOS Steve D 6 0 0 0 2 +7 0 0 0 0 6 0.00 99:33

55 JOVANOVSKI Ed D 6 0 1 1 4 +4 0 0 0 0 13 0.00 96:30
    4 BOUWMEESTER Jay D 6 0 0 0 0 +2 0 0 0 0 5 0.00 91:17

52 GREEN Mike D 6 3 3 6 2 +1 0 0 2 0 30 10.00 88:26

I wonder if we can conclude anything about how MacTavish sees Bouwmeester though. Is Bouwmeester being played so sparesly because he’s paired with Jovonovski and he doesn’t add as much on the PP as Green or Jovonovski, or because he just doesn’t see Bouwmeester as being very good. It seems my dream of the Oilers acquiring Bouwmeester isn’t very realistic.

70. LittleFury says:

Garnage call on Souray.

71. pboy says:

I think the boys deserve to pot a couple in the 3rd. Hard to gauge how Garon’s playing considering he has barely faced any shots tonight.

72. mc79hockey says:

Fire MacT?

This FLA team is just amazingly porous defensively. Every so often, I wonder about the scorers down there, because the shot totals have just been bizarre for the past few years, astounding volumes. Having seen this tonight, I’m starting to believe.

73. Dennis says:

I have the Oilers up 12-10 in chances so I wouldn’t get too caught up in looking at the SOG though I’m sure I certainly would if we were back in the days when you only had the boxscore to tell you what happened.

There’s fuckall happening for the New Kids and the 51 line is doing nothing and we’re riding the 10 line once again.

I suspect we’ll go down to a three line rotation and that 89 will get the bump and I”m unsure which three guys Won’t make the cut.

Also, the 18-51-26 line doesn’t look to be anything to get excited about. They had a good series vs Dal and a goal in LA but then were brutal at SJ and aren’t any great shakes tonight.

I really don’t know what the other secondary tough min options could be but these guys don’t look to be getting it done.

74. Coach pb9617 says:

88 is killing them. He’s lagging behind often. 78 has carried the play well-enough tonight and Cogs is Cogs.

75. mc79hockey says:

I just want to say again, I continue to object to the inability of our PP to get shots.

Also re: Penner – fucking guy weighs 250. I don’t care about big hits for big hits but step into the guy and separate him from the puck.

76. Coach pb9617 says:

I gotta admit I was wrong. I thought it was Staios that stunk. But he looks like a different man out there with 5.

77. mc79hockey says:

88 is killing them. He’s lagging behind often.

I’m not saying this to be critical of 88, because I’m consciously trying to give the fellow a fair shake but there was a play in the first where he was in the neutral zone, just sort of standing there, facing the Oilers end, waiting for someone to tip a puck to him. Reminded me for all the world of my beer league team’s breakout.

78. mc79hockey says:

And, to be more specific, my role in said breakout. I don’t look as good in an American themed thong though.

79. Coach pb9617 says:

Cole’s SP down to 5.8%

80. Coach pb9617 says:

mc – that’s not just you. He’s a statue tonight.

Hit the net!!!!

82. Coach pb9617 says:

The point men running the power play is just not acceptable anymore. They have to have learned this by now. Right?

83. Coach pb9617 says:

There is your answer. Gagner up, Schremp down.

84. mc79hockey says:

Louie is out of his fucking mind. FLA has clearly been trapping this period.

85. Coach pb9617 says:

5.6% now.

86. Coach pb9617 says:

Louie is out of his fucking mind. FLA has clearly been trapping this period.

You would think that was obvious to Louie by the 1 SOG that the Panthers have.

87. mc79hockey says:

Man, it’s like they’re reading this thread – Quinn mentioned that the Cats are sitting back and then brought up Schremp.

CHOKE LOUIE KEVIN…CHOKE LOUIE!

88. mc79hockey says:

That was a beer league play for Penner there, just standing on the wrong side of centre and deciding to go for the change after he couldn’t handle the pass.

89. Coach pb9617 says:

*buries head in hands*

Oh Sam. You idiot.

90. mc79hockey says:

Not big on MacT’s jacket/tie/shirt combo tonight.

91. Coach pb9617 says:

Not big on MacT’s jacket/tie/shirt combo tonight.

Fire him?

92. B.C.B. says:

Why is Cole on the ice? in the last minute, does MacT think he is going to stop the slump now?

93. Coach pb9617 says:

Jesus shit Souray. You can’t shoot a puck through shins. HE WAS STANDING IN FRONT OF YOU. Send it to the corner.

94. mc79hockey says:

Unreal play by Souray there (Souray?). He and Hemsky are coming out, there’s a Cat down behind them and rather than give the puck to Hemmer, Souray unleashes the old chest high pass to nobody.

Also D-VO! Somewhere, sacamano felt a brief moment of joy.

95. CrazyCoach says:

Outshoot the other team by over 20 shots and lose 2-0.

Roli only stopped 40 shots in his last two starts.

Great choice in starters MacT. Has he learned that there is no such thing as a sure two points yet?

96. Coach pb9617 says:

Outshoot the other team by over 20 shots and lose 2-0.

Roli only stopped 40 shots in his last two starts.

This is sarcasm, right?

97. Schitzo says:

The old backup goalie curse is still in full effect, I see.

98. mc79hockey says:

Roli definitely would have had that last one. Probably would have scored a couple too.

Get ready for the stories about how the Oilers can’t win at home. Sometimes I wish I was an NHL player, not for the money or for the fact that it seems like it beats lawyering for a living but purely so that I could act like Mike Mussina when I was asked why we can’t win at home.

Well I think this comes down to the fact that sometimes you have to give the other man his due. The Oilers aren’t a vet-laden group like Detroit but they have Hemsky and Lubo and a few nice things and it seemed to me they found their legs and had some try tonight.

Craig Anderson had a .935SP last season in a few NHL games but this appears to be some kind of an emergence we’re seeing.

Comp? Ed Giacomin, career minor leaguer.

100. Lord Bob says:

This is why MacTavish needs to put Roloson at right wing. The idiot. Fire the coach. He’s lost the room.

101. Dennis says:

I would say one of the stories will be how “the Oilers have ham for hands and sometimes dogs even Lick their hands.”!!

Really two ways to judge teams and/or players and the first is how much a guy’s being paid because obviously there IS A finite number of dollars a team can spend these days be it their own internal budget or the league cap; the other is how much TOI a guy’s being given.

On the last tip it’s very easy to say we’re wasting a tonne of TOI on 26 and 89 though what are the alternatives? I guess that was up to Lowe to decide.

The team’s EV offense was middling heading into tonight and the PP was better than that and the PK Sucked. The latter showed their true colours tonight by giving up a goal in the Fla’s lone attempt so here we are.

I”ll need to see at least three wins in a row before I believe in this club. Otherwise I”ll keep thinking that the playoffs are only for the fans of other teams to enjoy.

102. Dennis says:

LT: They kicked ass chances-wise in the 3rd but really not so much in the first 40 min. They had a lot of SOG but a lot of those were easy shots to save as well.

They really needed to come out of the gate harder and it looks like they aren’t really playing to save MacT’s job.

You’d have to think a guy like 26 would welcome the chance to get the fuck away from playing with a kid with limited offensive abilities and a vet with limited offensive abilities, no?

That’s not saying Cole isn’t playing hard but he has to look at this as a lost season.

I dare say he’s drawn more penalties than he’s had scoring chances.

Dennis: I don’t think the “fire MacT” chant comes until the new year and if the club can get on a run here then it may not come back this season at all.

More likely we do see Tambellini make a move. I suspect he’s already slid something under the door for the boss to review.

104. Phil says:

I”ll need to see at least three wins in a row before I believe in this club.

You mean, other than the 3 in a row they just won?

What’s great about being an Oiler fan in Calgary, working with all Flames fans, is that tomorrow night the Flames are going to MURDER this Florida team, and I’ll hear about that for a good week or so. Your team couldn’t score against these guys, huh? We had no problem

Go Oilers. I guess.

105. Dennis says:

Phil: how about three games in a row where they win and deserve it?:)

NOt saying it’s your primary point but getting killed in SJ And still winning is funny but it’s not an umbrella to take into the wind, either.

LT: I guess it comes down to what 12-89-26 give us AND what they decide to do about the PP.

13 is doing enough that I can’t lump him in with the disappointments but the other kids are getting nothing done and that shoe fits Cole as well.

We’ll get nowhere relying on one line.

106. Dennis says:

Did MacT Officially lose it and cancel the postgame presser?

I had the window opening waiting for it but nothing happened.

Anyone else catch it?

107. HBomb says:

I really think that they need to put Cole on RW with Cogliano and Gagner and try to get a 2nd line scoring some goals.

Read the post-game thread on one of the fan-sites, and there’s the usual Horcoff bashing. Christ almighty, way to pick on one guy when the whole fucking team doesn’t score….

108. Phil says:

Dennis: I know what you meant, I was just nitpicking ;)

They said on the FAN 960 that Eberle had a “hip flexor problem” at the WJC camp today. Anyone else hear this?

109. Phil says:

Never mind – just checked the Pat’s site, says he was injured against the Rebels the other night.

Eberle said today he’d be fine.

111. Dennis says:

Putting 26 with 13-89 is about the only thing we have left to try but then you gotta wonder who the secondary tough min line will be.

I guess 18-51-78.

When is Pisani back?

113. HBomb says:

I guess 18-51-78.

Until Pisani comes back, yes, that’s probably it. Ideally, once 34 and 12 are healthy….

27-10-83
    13-89-26
    18-51-34
    12-78-88/67

114. Traktor says:

Are we trying to win games this year or is it a developmental write off? I just don’t understand the moves that MacT makes, especially with Gagner – does MacT really think he’s the best option at this point?

We need a goal with a couple minutes to play and we put Cole back on the 2nd unit PP?

MacT seems like the type of guy that has to leave whatever he’s doing because he thinks he left the stove on. Even after he goes home and finds out that his stove is turned off he still has the feeling that it’s on and checks it a few minutes later. He’s insane.

Traktor: Part of it I suspect is that they’d like Cole to pop one and maybe it gets him on a roll. Gagner too for that matter.

The odds of both players scoring more points in their next 25 games than they did in the first 27 is extremely high (although we’re guessing with Gagner who doesn’t have an established level of ability).

I don’t think there are many coaches who would tighten the bench differently. Certainly Schremp was not a solid option this evening.

116. Milk Was A Bad Choice says:

Anyone heard any news regarding world juniors camp? Eberle and Nash?

117. PDO says:

Sure didn’t take long for the Hockey Gods to spit in our faces for that win in SJS now did it?

118. Traktor says:

Lowetide: I just hope we don’t Brule the kid.

He’s lost. Every game that passes he wanders further into the woods.

Even Reddox and Pouliot are much better options right now.

Schremp was 0-3 tonight with a couple ground outs but that’s no reason to put in a guy who’s 0 for his last 20 to pinch hit for him.

119. PDO says:

Traktor: (and I’m not calling you on this… just furthering the point. I have no idea what your stance was on Gagner staying more than 10 games last season) in my mind… this is a HUGE reason why you just don’t keep an 18 year old on your team if his name isn’t Crosby. The Oilers are now completely stuck between a rock and a hard place. The options at this point are all ugly.

A) Send him to the OHL. Hah.
    B) Send him to the WJC. Hah.
    C) Bench him?
    D) Put him on a scoring line and hope a lightbulb goes on?
    E) Put him on the 4th line, and hope a lightbulb goes on?

The needed option is:

F) Send him to the AHL and keep him there until he can (at least) show signs of domination.

120. Dennis says:

Traktor: You’ll get a lot more “traction”;) once you get into how made up the roster:)

121. PDO says:

Open musing:

Anderson has been unreal this season.

Florida is attempting to cut salary.

They are currently paying one of the better goalies in the league $5,500,000.

Is Tomas Vokoun available and what is the price?

122. Doogie2K says:

The needed option is:

You’d think after, say, 41 games you’d be able to stuff the kid in the A, rather than sending them right back to junior. I understand the CHL has its own interests to consider, but some kids are too good for junior and not ready for the NHL (or in need of seasoning for whatever other reason), and they get boned in this deal.

123. PDO says:

Exactly.

Sending him back to Junior does nothing… and while the WJC is a hell of a tournament, I still think it is FAR too big of a drop off for Sam to really benefit from any time there.

It’s silly and about nothing more than making money hand over fist off of teenagers…

124. gary b says:

lots of skating and shooting tonight, but still not hard enough on the puck. i don’t know how many dump-ins ended up on Florida sticks with no Oilers in sight.

125. Traktor says:

I don’t see the crime in sending him to the World Juniors. If a 19 year old looks lost in the NHL then the World Juniors are the best option.

If you asked 20 chicks to dance and they all said no then what is your expectation going to be when you asked the 21st?

If Gagner isn’t expecting to produce then he’s already lost the battle.

Send him to the World Juniors and let him get his confidence back. It’s not about gaining anything new from the tournament. He needs to get back to the mindset of expecting success.

126. PDO says:

Maybe I’m crazy…

I honestly think, despite his struggles… he’s just too good to be there. He certainly needs confidence, but is going to the WJC and dropping 3 PPG going to help that, or will it just seem like a joke?

Or, more worrisome..

What if he struggled there? It’s a VERY short tournament. If something ugly happened we could be in all kinds of trouble.

127. Dennis says:

Trak is talking about not wanting to “Brule” kids but he seems to have no problem “Malholtra-ing” a fellow;)

I’m with PDO, here: the kid’s putting up nothing on the sheet in the NHL but by virtue of the second half of the ’08 season he’s got enough ideas in his head that you potentially “lose” him by sending him to WJC.

I’d just go with one last ditch effort with 13-89-26 and then go from there. If that doesn’t jumpstart Mssrs. 26-89 then I think we’re properly screwed at evens.

And we’re already screwed on the PK and no one seems in any hurry to change that.

Last night marked the beginning of what was supposed to be a soft spot in the sked but it’s looking more and more like the Oilers ARE the soft spot.

Home losses to TO, LA and Fla shouldn’t inspire confidence in anyone.

128. HBomb says:

How about this: Florida had ONE powerplay last night, and they managed to score on it.

That’s just adding insult to injury when it comes to the PK woes….

129. oilerdago says:

Dennis – it’s called playing down to the level of the competition.

Very frustrating but part of the deal when you have a team that has a number of young skaters and does not have guys who will consistently go to the tough places to score ugly goals.

130. Unleaded says:

Dennis: How much of that is related to what the Oilers face at home though?

Hemsky spoke about it in an interveiw the other day, about the pressure and the expectation in Rexall, and the ridiculous fans who attend games.

The fans who attend games here aren’t there to support the team. I heard one cheer from the crowd for a good shift from 27-10-83 in the second, and other than that, the building seemed really quiet.

Unless the Oilers made a “mistake”. Then there’s lots of noise to let everyone know that E-town is unhappy about X.

There were more boos in the last 2 minutes than anyone on the team deserved. I’m not going to say there should have been cheers, but lets face it – the boys got ZERO bounces this game. They played a pretty good game, with few mistakes. The difference? A bad PK and a hot young goalie.

As a fan of the Oilers, I really understand the dissapointment with supporting a team that loses. Its hard. But that doesn’t mean you take it out on the team.

The Oilers played a good job sticking to the game plan tonight and lady luck decided to go home with the other guy. But the folks at the games don’t get that. “I paid $130 for this? I got hosed! Where is my emotional release from the team I support winning, and me being here to see it and be a part of it? ARRGGGHHH!!!!”

So of course, they take it out on the team.

I remember what it was like in ’06 during the cup run, and there was such a positive energy in that building. It was something to behold, and special to be a part of. Why isn’t that something fans can bring all the time? Is it just the poeple who have the tickets now are different than those who got tickets to the playoffs? Is it a matter of expectatioins? Or is there something else I’m missing? Because you’d have to think that if Rexall was a friendlier place for the Oilers to play, instead of being 1 mistake away from being shit on by 20,000 people, that the results at home might get better.

Thoughts?

131. HBomb says:

Unleaded: considering the absolute eggs the team has laid in two of the last three home teams, the fans have every right to boo.

Considering the expectations the team put on themselves (via MacT talking about challenging for first in the division), the team brought this on themselves.

No excuses, but they HAVE to be better at home. Seven blown points at home this year: Toronto, LA, Florida plus a lost SO game against Colorado where they had the lead until ten seconds left.

A good team would have taken care of business in those situations (or at least a couple of them) and been a LOT closer to the top of the division standings.

It’s only game 28 on Saturday….but I think it’s a must win. Divisional opponent without their star goalie, home game, Hockey Night in Canada – time to make a fucking statement.

132. oilerdago says:

Totally agree HBomb. Saturday is a must win – home/division – game. They need to come out desperate from the first shift and stop trying to just score pretty goals and make Vancouver pay with some physical play. No more excuses.

133. Traktor says:

Malholtra was just never that good. The most goals he ever scored in junior was 16. The most PIM he put up in one season was 29. The last time he put up a point per game was when he was like 15. Why did he ever go 7th overall?

134. doritogrande says:

“I am not sure if you heard yet LT. But the #9 prospect on your list was sent down to the Stockton Thunder today.”

Unbefuckingleavable. They send down a guy on the positive side of the +/- marker while Chorney goes -3 in a 3-2 loss? Who’s running this gongshow?

Assclown’s now -13 on the season in 24 games.

135. Dennis says:

UL: The fans always go nuts during playoff time and it’s probably because there’s so much pent up emotion considering they only get to see playoffs once every three or four season.

So, I don’t think you can compare playoff crowds with reg season crowds.

As for apathy and frustration seeming to be the prevailing factors, I can’t really blame the fans on that account.

Here were are a cap team and we’re still not getting any further ahead. One playoff appearance in the last four season and just how much rope do you think the players Should be getting?

I know that I’m personally fed up with the mediocrity. If I hadn’t made a commitment to count scoring chances then I’d have tuned out on a few games this year so far.

136. DeBakey says:

Here were are a cap team

94.8%
    with Roe-Bear, San Fernando & Busted Face in the line-up.

Last night's pool of talent came in at 90.8%

137. quain says:

MUST-WIN. NEED SOME BIG GOALS. BIG GOALS. BIG GAME WITH BIG GOALS MAKE THIS A MUST-WIN.