Senators at Oilers, G35/08-09

This is Bill (William) Kenneth Goldthorpe. Goldie. Wild Bill. Harpo. The legend and the truth are not close. There are a few documented truths: He played for Port Arthur, the same town that produced (J) Bob Kelly. He was probably the toughest man in NHL history, and only because Goldie didn’t make it that far.

In 1980 in San Diego, Goldthorpe was shot in the stomach while trying to rescue an ex-girlfriend. He was a successful body builder. He was the inspiration for the character Ogie Ogilthorpe in the movie Slap Shot.

He may not have had a lot of talent, but he had character. He also played a few games for the Ottawa Civics (WHA) when that league was trying to create interest. Goldthorpe is probably more interesting than any of the current Ottawa Senators. That may be part of the problem.

The Ottawa Senators and the Edmonton Oilers have one very large fact in common: they lost a lot of men in the heart of their NHL careers in a very short period and replaced them with youngsters who may or may not develop. In doing so, they “cut off” the cluster of players who should be winning championships at this time.

Both teams have rosters that look askew, although the Oilers have repaired some of the damage since the summer of 2006. I’m sure Ottawa will too, and the new GM is going to have to trade some of the guys who should be bringing a Stanley to the nation’s capital.

A word of advice: get 5 assets for Jason Spezza.

250 Responses to "Senators at Oilers, G35/08-09"

« Older Comments
  1. PDO says:

Good thing I’m not drinking or I’d have blacked out at this point.

LT: I agree. Figured this would be a tough one.

This team never makes it easy on themselves. They are running out of time and don’t have their top guns.

Anyone want to pick the hero?

I’ll go with Erik Cole. He’s due.

3. oilerdago says:

I’ll take Cogs.

4. PDO says:

I already said an hour ago the Oilers are winning in the SO and Cole scores on his one-handed deke to ice it.

Sticking with it.

5. slipper says:

I predict a lazer beam off of Reddox’s chin.

6. oilerdago says:

Don’t call Jason Smith for holding the stick either zebra’s.

I wonder how many hours I’ve been hoping for the Oilers to get one goal late?

Probably thousands.

8. PDO says:

…. that was blown down?

MacT should take a fine on the refs tonight. Rallying point for the team. Seriously.

9. Unleaded says:

Ya Penner is not looking good out there. I do have to say that I’m impressed with Red Ox – he’s not looking terrible on the first line. His play is really highlighting how little effort Penner seems to be putting out there right now.

It’s too bad really – I like the package, but there needs to be some drive there for it to be worth much. Also… great rush by Cole.

10. oilerdago says:

Why is Nilsson out there? No desperation in his game.

11. boopronger says:

WHY IS MOREAU ON FOR THE LAST MINUTE!!

12. slipper says:

LT: Since Patrick Stefan?

Dammit.

14. oilerdago says:

BOOOOOOOOO!

15. PDO says:

Rexall ice just stole that from Horcoff.

MacT better rip the officials a new one in the presser.

Us against the world.

C’mon.

16. boopronger says:

Thats whats so bloody frustrating with this team. They never win the games they should. ARGh. Lose to L.A., florida and a morally beaten up ottawa team.

slipper: lol. Yes. Since Patrik Stefan. I’ll never forget that play. Beauty pass from Stoll to Hemsky. I remember also Ray Ferraro going apeshit on Stefan’s ass.

18. gary b says:

i think Row-bear thought tonight was an optional skate, too.

19. Unleaded says:

I don’t know what bothers me more – the refs not making one of those 3 calls on the sens in the last 5 minutes, or my doubt that it would have made a difference tonight.

Oh Alice, how we miss you…

20. PDO says:

LT: Stoll passed it to Smyth, who passed it to Hemsky ;)

They should call someone up for tomorrow.

PDO: I’m like Russia. We forget those who were sent away. Smyth is like Stalingrad. :-)

23. oilerdago says:

24. Fake Craig McTavish says:

oilerdago said…

Spezza would work better. :)

25. oilerdago says:

FCM…badda bing

26. slipper says:

Bergeron was still here for the Stefan Fiasco. In fact, if I remember correctly, it was his mishandle that lead to the Stefan empty net break. I’d cursed, tossed the remote, and was all the way in the basement when my friend started calling out hysterically.

They lost that game, tohugh. Didn’t carry it through. My Oilers have always shown a knack for divine tragedies over fairytale endings.

27. rickibear says:

“I vote Brule over Schremp. Gotta get someone here who can score a freaking goal.”

Pouliot allows an injury call up protected from waivers. The answer is Ryan P.

28. St George says:

MacT better rip the officials a new one in the presser.

Us against the world.

I wouldn’t blame this on the refs … the Oilers once again took large parts of each period off and threw away a great chance to climb the standings. All the hallmarks of their season were there – seeming lack of a system, no urgency, losing battles for the puck (there was a nice close up shot from the corner of Gagner actually backing off from a battle in our end in the third and letting Ottawa get organized and get a shot … I am not generally on the bash Gagner bandwagon, but I do find myself thinking he should be playing against lesser competition for a while to get himself better prepared for the NHL).

No, the boys lost this one fair and square to a team they should have been able to vanquish.

29. Ribs says:

I really hate these throwaway games. The Oilers play to the level of their competition and the game’s decided on a coin toss. It kind of reminds me of basketball. Where the two teams just go back and forth until one of the teams run out of time. Bleh.

It’s good to see Cole strapping on the jet boots. Even if he can’t score for whatever reason, at least he’s creating something by trying.

Moreau really annoyed me this game. He got away with some cheap shots tonight and I don’t really like that coming from the guy with a C on his chest. He was bad on the PK too.

Horcoff and Reddox seemed to be the only guys (besides Cole) that could generate anything offensively. I can’t really be too hard on Penner here because it was not a line he could really gel with (too fast).

Gagner looks a lot better than he has been. Much more confident with the puck and he’s starting to find the open areas on the ice.

Garon was not very good. He wasn’t challenged much and was way out of position for most of the shots that did make it to him.

Brule called up…Yay? I think a lot more is needed from the veterans for the Oilers to have any chance of beating the Flames tomorrow.

Brule! Very good news. Put him in coach, he’s ready to play. Centerfield.

31. oilerdago says:

Ribs, could not agree more. There was no desparation in their game tonight. When half the team sleep walks thru the game, this is what you get because they are not good enough to win with their “B” game unless the goalie can steal one for them.

But that said, I would not hang this on Garon. The team in front of him let him down with bad giveaways tonight. You could just feel it in the 3rd period.

32. oilerdago says:

LT, I was going to suggest Brule play catcher and give John Boccabella a game off!

BOCC-A-BELLLLLLL-AAAA! There was a time when every team had an Italian catcher.

Speaking of former ‘Spos catchers, Jays signed Barrett today. He’s long gone as a catcher but I’d bet on him as a PH/3rd catcher/DH type end-of-the-roster guy.

34. Lord Bob says:

We all know that good calls and bad calls tend to even up over the course of a season. We all know that the Sens aren’t exactly a ref’s favourite, and the bad calls tonight were nothing more and nothign less than that.

But you know what? I agree with what’s been expressed here. Craig MacTavish should tear the officials a new asshole tonight. Not because he’s right, but because he should be trying to stir some passion and get this team’s back up.

35. boopronger says:

If you watch the stefan replay on youtube you will notice that bergeron gives the puck away TWICE in the 20 or 30 seconds of video. Ferraro is extra hard on stefan too. Funny stuff.

36. Lord Bob says:

Washed-up old Expos and Blue Jays are J. P. Ricciardi’s Kryptonite. I hear that Mel Rojas and Marquis Grissom are getting training camp invites.

37. St George says:

That’s a tall task, given we are 20 games in and everything he has tried so far has been a failure.

I am listening to Tencer right now, and he just went on a pretty good little rant about the game tonight about the lack of try and the fact that the Oilers let the Senators physically beat them up (“MAP gets absolutely drilled into the boards and never mind a fight … the Oilers can’t even come up with a body check in retaliation”).

38. PunjabiOil says:

Apparently, Pouliot is fine, and will skate tomorrow (according to his buddy on HF that is reliable)

39. quain says:

Hey! We’ve got a game tomorrow! I look forward to reading the GDT at work where we have another rousing conversation about how Horcoff is the reason this team is mediocre.

Because Shawn Horcoff shouldn’t have just played Ottawa’s only real players to a standstill, he should’ve outscored them! A real first line center wouldn’t even need the fat guy, he could do it four on five, with just the AHLer… and the corpse of Gerald Ford playing left defense.

40. St George says:

Tencer also said that Pouliot was still incoherent at the end of the game tonight, so we have some conflicting reports.

41. Bruce says:

Poo sure as hell wasn’t fine tonight, when he wobbled off the ice after that hit. I could see the glaze in his eyes from Row 23. Shitty break for the kid.

42. Scott says:

Tencer said the Oilers training staff described him as not knowing which province he was in.

43. hunter1909 says:

Pouliot lol…what a loser…

I’m sorry, but this guy just ain’t gonna make it in the bigs. Keeps getting hit too hard with his head down.

Does anyone remember the killer hit Phaneuf put on Pouliot in that junior game?

Coaching could possibly help, but Oilers “coaching” is on record as saying it really doesn’t want to worry too hard about the players.

Of course, they might have actually called up Schremp or Brule to replace Hemsky, but no, this stupid team prefers to go with whatever it has, when it matters.

I’m not mad about this team anymore. Or disappointed. What’s the bloody use?

My money still says they make the playoffs. individual losses don’t seem to count, lol. I’m also getting 7/4 odds :P

44. Doogie2K says:

You don’t remember Mark Messier, do you?

I had taped this game last night, watched the first period, and fell asleep. Accidentally heard the score on the radio this morning, so I came to see what the carnage was. Sounds about like I expected after learning the result: they underestimated the Sens, took half the game off, and got burned for it.

We did see a bit of vintage Ladi on that first goal, there, as he’s at least two seconds late reading the play and covering the man in front of the net. I mean, sure, it’s Jason Spezza and he’s going to burn everyone at some point — he went wide on Souray at one point in the first and it reminded me distinctly of that OT goal on YouTube from the first post-lockout MTL-OTT game, except ending in a weak shot instead of an inside-out move and goal — but shit, I could’ve stayed with my man better than that and I can barely skate.

Also, Shawn Horcoff is the best third-line centre in the world.

45. HBomb says:

Ugh, I’m hung-over. During the half-hour when we were stuck in a time-warp to the Boston Garden circa 1988, I managed to down a few extra highballs to pass the time. Paying for it now.

Anyways…

- Unfortunate that Pouliot got hurt, especially considering he’s coming off his best NHL month, ever. From what my friend told me this morning (I was at the game and didn’t see the replay), he was out before he hit the ice. Ugly.

- I love the sarcasm in this thread. Horcoff must have been reading the board yesterday and decided he’d show some people a thing or two. It’s good to see that most people get it.

- The reffing was attrocious. Something I haven’t seen mentioned here – I counted two flat-out missed too many men calls that could have gone against Ottawa.

- Another thing I didn’t see mentioned here, but I think Grebeshkov forgot to take his LSD before the game, because he played very well. Wonder if Ottawa will have “saw him good” and would be willing to do a straight-across swap of Russian d-men, Volchenkov for Grebeshkov? I wish…..

- Moreau’s “leadership” right now is an absolute joke. Goal or not last night, this guy is terrible. I wonder if he’ll somehow manage to take a shot at Pouliot’s “commitment” to the team if he has to take a few games off to recover from a concussion. Jerk.

- 2nd goal on Garon was weak, but I cannot blame the goalie for the loss on a night where the team mustered 21 shots and two goals on Martin freakin’ Gerber.

- Lowetide: My apologies for having to go into the muck and you having to clean up the mess. The “r” word will be filed beside the “c” word (the one that rhymes with “runt” – this I only bust out when talking about Corey Perry or Matt Cooke) in the “no no” pile. New Years being here, I’m also going to try and cut back on gratuitous use of the f-bomb. This is what happens when you work in an oil refinery people – you get desensitized to pretty much any sort of language outside of the really harsh racial stuff (and trust me, those fly around pretty bad sometimes, not from me of course).

Anyways…two points we should have had, pissed away, Hemsky or no Hemsky. File this one beside the home losses to Florida, Toronto, LA and the blown last-minute lead against the Avalanche.

46. Ribs says:

You don’t remember Mark Messier, do you?

Ha, yes, I do. These must be different times.
    The teams captain can’t be cross checking guys kidneys on the penalty kill in the neutral zone. We just don’t have the offense to make up for these kinds of things any more.

47. Bruce says:

Doogie: There was a few problems on that goal. Smid’s problem was that he saw Heatley in the slot calling for the pass and identified him, rightly or wrongly, as the danger man. I guess wrongly, come to think of it. It wasn’t that he was doing nothing, but there just wasn’t much help from the forwards, starting right from the (yet another) lost faceoff. By the time Alfredsson emerged, untouched, from the corner, Horc had closed down the passing lane to Heatley but the lane to Spezza opened up. Smid tried but was a split second late getting back to break it up. Staios neither challenged Alfredsson physicaly nor played a good angle on him. The Ottawa snipers executed perfectly from there.

Certainly Smid gets the primary error on the play, but hardly the only one. He, Staios and Horc got schooled 3-on-3 by a pretty deadly trio.

48. Dennis says:

20 road games played and 15 home so slowly but surely things are starting to even up and with every passing game the aces in the hole begin to dissipate.

Old-timey backdoor oblivion by Smid on the first goal, a softie by Garon on the second and it’s absolutely gross that the Oilers can’t kill three fucking penalties.

49. Doogie2K says:

Oh, I agree that the captain can’t take dumb penalties. The comment was about getting away with cheap shots, though, which is the exact opposite of that. =)

Interesting, because that wasn’t something I really picked up from the replay; maybe you had to be there.

it’s absolutely gross that the Oilers can’t kill three fucking penalties

I was gonna go look for that silver lining this morning, then I saw that the winner was a PPG and gave up. Five of the last six games we give up a PPG (and the sixth only saw one minor), so while the rate is improving, it’s not going fast enough. /sigh

50. Bruce says:

Doogie: It seems plain enough on the replay to me. Watch Heatley, after the faceoff he comes from the left (boards) hash marks into the middle. Smid anticipates the early pass from Alfie and slides out to challenge. Alfie holds the puck, Spezza slips in behind, and Staios does absolutely jackshit to defend against the pass, standing sideways with his stick on the wrong side. Sure Smid made a mistake, probably the primary error on the GA since it was his man who scored, but he wasn’t the only one. Moreover it was an error of Commission, which I find marginally easier to swallow. He was trying to do something, it just turned out to be the wrong thing. Everybody is entitled to a few of those over the course of the season.

« Older Comments