Sundin on Left Coast

Mat Sundin must love Canada. He keeps playing here. We got the news this afternoon that Sundin decided to play for the Canucks and it’s a big boost to a team that already has some very nice things.

Sundin was drafted by Quebec 20 years ago and also played in another Canadian city for a time.

Vancouver are serious contenders in the west with Sundin in the lineup. San Jose, Detroit, Chicago, Vancouver.

That’s how I’d rank them and the best goaltending lives in the land of the mushroom.

Mike Gillis must get tired carrying that big brain around, he’s had a silly good year.

28 Responses to "Sundin on Left Coast"

1. doritogrande says:

Still think we’ve got 6th in the division LT? How many more times we gotta play them?

2. Kris says:

I think we finish 8th in the division, 17th in the conference, and 32nd in the league– right behind the California Golden Seals.

6th in the division sounds right. :-)

Actually I’m encouraged by MacT’s new lines and PC. Seriously. I don’t think the Cogs line lasts long but getting Pouliot up there shows they’re willing to make some moves with the veterans.

The next step is to box out one of the older gents from actual playing time.

4. Doogie2K says:

Boy it’s a good thing the Oilers are playing up to their full potential or we might really be in deep shit.

Oh wait.

5. Fake Craig McTavish says:

Good to see the Hawks finally getting the love they deserve LT.

After SJ, Detroit Chicago and now Vancouver, there’s not a whole lot to get excited about.

6. Kris says:

7. RiversQ says:

Vancouver should clearly take the NW now that’s for sure. I thought they were pretty good before the year and adding Sundin means they can go Sedins, Sundin, Kesler on three different lines. That’s depth that none of the NW teams can match with only SJ and Det possible in the WC.

Add in the goalie and the solid, if unspectacular blueline, and I don’t think anyone touches them in the NW.

Chicago? Seriously? That team has some nice pieces and a scary PP unit but I really don’t think they can hang with the class of the WC. Not with the way they bleed quality scoring chances. And they have some pretty crazy PDO numbers following them around too.

8. Fake Craig McTavish says:

RQ:

Chicago:

G/G – 3.66 1ST.
    GA/G – 2.55 7th
    SH/G – 31.2 6th
    SA/G – 30.3 18th
    PP% – 24% 4th
    PK% – 83.9% 7th

The only thing bleeding is your stats.

9. Scott says:

FCM,

Now, it’s possible that Chicago’s trended back some since Tyler went over the PDO numbers at the end of November, but they were tied for fifth with 102.3 then. That’s probably coming back closer to 100 as the season goes on. This doesn’t mean that they’ll suddenly train-wreck, and I don’t think that’s RQ’s point either, but if you’re going to tell someone that his stats are wrong, it’s probably worthwhile to understand what he’s saying first.

10. doritogrande says:

“There is a bright side here: The fact that VCR is obviously primed for a cup run increases the chances that the Oil’s management team will recognize we’re not ready to make a run in the playoffs until next year at the earliest. That is, this will help reality set in.”

If there’s any way we can get Grabner or Sauve from the Canucks for Cole, I say we do it.

11. Chris says:

We should probably cut our losses on Cole the first chance we get. The man has been a square peg in a round hole all year. At this point its not a matter of getting back cents on the dollar, its a matter of getting back something on the dollar.

12. danny says:

40yr old men that miss the first half of the season, have a steep hill to climb…

Sometimes that hill results in injuries like torn groins.

13. Fake Craig McTavish says:

@scott

Didn’t say his stats were wrong, just provided some alternative perceptions.

You’re aware that aeronautical engineers have been convinced for decades that bumblebees can’t fly, right?

The point is, the Hawks score a shit load of goals and, as long as they continue to lead the league in that metric, nothing else matters much because they’ll keep winning.

And their defensive numbers are well above average.

Anything else?

14. Fake Craig McTavish says:

@ danny

Sometimes that hill results in injuries like torn groins.

Tell that to Selanne.

15. Schitzo says:

Boy, things just got more interesting next year – 39 million committed with no sedins, bernier, pyatt, burrows, ohlund or a backup goalie.

I can’t wait.

16. Scott says:

FCM,

as long as they continue to lead the league in that metric

The whole point of the PDO number is to contextualize the raw GF and GA numbers. The goal scoring numbers sometimes include a lot of luck. A PDO number that’s as high as 102.3 is likely to trend down a bit. In other words, it’s not likely that they will continue to lead the league in that metric because, although they have been very good, they’ve also been quite lucky.

17. Scott says:

FCM,

Also, what does, “The only thing bleeding is your stats” mean, if not “you’re stats are wrong”?

18. Schitzo says:

I might have to take back my previous comment – apparently the original $20 million dollar deal might not be what they end up settling on.

19. RiversQ says:

Fake Craig McTavish said…

And their defensive numbers are well above average.

I’m not sure what bumblebees have to do with this, but my point is that I’m not sure they’re likely to keep doing those two things.

Furthermore, I think my problem with LT’s comment has more to do with the implied notion that Chicago is right with those other teams. I don’t believe this to be the case.

CHI is +122 Corsi and +53 in shots with 101.9% PDO.

DET is +344 Corsi and +206 shots and a 96.5% PDO.

SJ is +312 Corsi and +204 shots and 100.1% PDO.

The last two teams direct a lot of pucks on net – Some of that is system, but I don’t think system explains the near 4:1 ratio they’re sporting over the Hawks when it comes to dominating the opposition.

The Hawks are a decent team and I’m pretty sure they’re a 4/5 seed, but if they go anywhere it won’t be based on them outplaying the powers in the West IMHO.

Coach: Who are you talking to? I can’t find the post you’re responding to here.

21. slipper says:

I see the top three WC teams like this:

1. Detroit
    2. San Jose
    3. Calgary

Chicago’s playing exceptionally well, but they’re the flavour of the week in that they’re riding some inflated numbers and people are emphatically hopping on board the bandwagon and procaliming them the real deal this early. You see this all the time, last seaoson it was the Canadiens and Vinny Levalier for MVP. It’s a long season, and the playoffs are often decided at even strength, anyways.

Vancouver isn’t that hot of shit before Mats Sundin, but the goaltending can mask their failings. I have my doubts that Mats Sundin playing 4/7 a season there can turn them from a -120 corsi team into the +250-350 range, where the real contenders sit at the moment.

22. RiversQ says:

slipper said…

Agreed for the most part. It does mean that they added a player who should still be elite and that has a trickle down effect through the lineup. Luongo is the biggest factor – I can’t argue with that.

23. slipper says:

@Rivers:

Yeah, wait until Detroit and Calgary stary getting some saves. Chicago is shooting nearly 3% higher than Detroit at evens. Looking up and down both rosters, who in their right mind would argue that the Hawks hold that wide of a margin over the Wings in terms of talent? You’d have to be fucking crazy.

24. slipper says:

If any player can create an outscoring line on their own no matter their linemates, it would be Sundin. He did it for ages in Toronto.

It’s the age and the layoff that makes me skeptical.

25. Oilmaniac says:

Slipper:

I agree w you in that calgary seems to be getting short changed in these posts… they’ve been playing solid hockey and mikka has been a goalie capable of providing elite ‘tending… Cgy vs Chi could be a good series, but largely because any series w chicago would be entertaining… We’ll have to see how mats brings it before judging vans’ elevated status… (just how far does it go)… although from an oilers perspective, this move puts a top 2 div finish soley into the realm of mathematical possiblity.. at this point..

26. JB-"jiggyman" says:

Vancouver’s far from elite. I can’t think of anyone in the league who’s overachieved to a degree such as the Canucks have so far this season. Sundin won’t have nearly the impact most believe.

I still see Calgary as the better team overall. But both still in the same range as the Oilers, anywhere from 3-10 in the conference.

Oilers have been cold, Canucks have been hot through of a quarter season. Plenty of time for things to change.

Too much Canuck love here for my liking, their not even a lock for the playoffs at this point.

27. hunter1909 says:

I think Kris is getting the cart before the horse here.

Seals have to give the Habs their 1st overall pick. Oilers get to keep Penner.

On the other hand, Ralph Backstrom would make LoweTavish cream themselves, so it’s probably a wash.

28. Stuart van says:

At some point, don’t we fault the coach? There’s been a string of guys in here that can’t seem to play for Mactavish but have success elsewhere: Lupul, Pitkanen, now Cole.

I’m none to happy we gave up an asset like Pitkanen for an UFA like Cole. Bad asset management. And why is no one saying we should have signed Glencross?