Coyotes at Oilers, G45/08-09

This is Roberto Clemente. He played right field like a prison break. Vin Scully once said that “Clemente could field the ball in New York and throw out a guy in Pennsylvania” and he was only lying a little.

Bill James, the great baseball writer, gave a wonderful description of Clemente years ago: “I’ve been trying a little experiment, asking baseball fans that I meet who had the best throwing arm they ever saw. It’s very rare that anybody who is old enough to remember seeing him play doesn’t immediately say “Clemente.” For younger fans, you just can’t believe what it was like; I hope we see another one like it, or you’ll never believe that it was possible. His throws combined strength, accuracy and speed of release in whatever proportions were necessary to get the job done, Freddie Patek once told me he saw Clemente throw people out at the plate from the warning track at Forbes Field, over 350 feet away. I never saw him do that but I saw him grab a double in the gap and fire it to second base to make it an oops/single, when the entire transaction was so lightning fast that even having seen him do it four or five times, you still couldn’t believe it was possible.”

Glenn Anderson treated hockey’s neutral zone like Roberto Clemente played right field. To the point of pure physical violence, Glenn Anderson mashed everything in sight–defensemen, linesmen, sticks, pucks, goalies, nets and if the boards hadn’t been there he would probably have killed the zamboni. When Glenn Anderson was in full flight with the puck on his stick, you didn’t need to see the defenseman say “oh shit” to know he was in fact saying it.

Defend it? Hell, surviving it was the goal.

From the group who made up the Boys on the Bus, he’s the strange one, the personality who never really spent the time across the table so the folks could get to know him. Gretzky the nice guy, Messier the bull in a china shop, Kurri the thinking man’s player. Anderson? His personality on the ice was as colorful and electrifying as any other, but his off-ice indifference and wooden answers and live hits with television left fans with the feeling that Anderson never really bought in, never helped with the chores. That was a long time ago, and as with all families it doesn’t matter now what’s done is done. The important thing is that he’s back for a reunion and perhaps one final chance to bond in a real way with the people who watched him fly through the neutral zone like a hurricane.

They’re honoring Glenn Anderson tonight. Let’s all enjoy it.

452 Responses to "Coyotes at Oilers, G45/08-09"

« Older CommentsNewer Comments »
  1. Mustafa Hirji says:

I think Bookie was right about Garon messing up Moreau. We didn’t notice it before because Moreau was injured.

- Mustafa Hirji

2. Henry says:

Jeez. Does chopper need a raise?

3. Coach pb9617 says:

I love hemmer but I cringe when he drives the net like that.

I cringed when he landed. I thought his head hit. Then when we was skating to the bench he had a look on his face like he was trying to shake cobwebs.

I know Hemsky loves to play beesball in peesburg, but man it’s scary to watch and think that the Oilers aren’t being honest.

3-1 lead. Maybe Reddox back up and Hemmer to the tunnel?

4. bookie says:

See, I am telling you, now that the Garon chain is off of his back, Moreau is set for take off – like Messier Redux

5. danny says:

Coach. I said adding guy like the 07/08 Horcoff. Namely a guy playing softer minutes, thats a prorated 30+ 80 point player.

Adding. as in a guy we dont already have, a guy like Horcoff.

meaning if we keep Horc in the tough minutes, itd be expensive to add a guy that put up his soft minutes rates from 07/08.

So maybe i should be more careful with my words because you really arent comprehending my point. That may be my failure, inadequate sentence structure or whatnot… but you clearly missed what I was saying. Ill take the blame.

6. Ender says:

The Universe hates me. I was watching the game via that stream through my PS3 on my TV. The feed cut out just before Moreau scores, and as I work to get my internet back up, two more goals. Things started working just after the third goal.

I swear, if they lose now, just blame me for my persistence.

Nice 20 minutes there. Cogliano is maturing nicely as a player he really is, and the Pouliot’s of the world are coming along too. When Pisani gets back they’re going to have some roster troubles but in a good way.

At some point, they’re going to have to give up the ghost and flush Strudwick.

8. PunjabiOil says:

So did the fans really boo Kevin Lowe?

Smytty pots #300 tonight against the Flames. Beauty player.

10. bookie says:

I believe that there were a few scattered boo’s hollered from the stands, but its not as though there were more than a dozen or so itdiots, but I could not actually tell if it was boo or what.

They boobirds have been identified and the Oilers are parking Zamboni’s behind their vehicles.

12. Scott says:

AS to Danny’s actual point, I think it’s an interesting one, and – even with Coach’s research – would seem to make a lot of sense. Horcoff can certainly make hay taking secondary toughs and adding a guy, even at 3.5M to take on toughs will almost certainly be cheaper than chasing a guy like Lecavalier. Plus, frankly, just because 3.5M is the median it doesn’t mean that’s what you need to spend. IF one thinks one of Moore or Reasoner’s results are sustainable (a pretty big if) and targets them for 2M per, that deal gets done in a second.

13. Ribs says:

Was anyone else at the game not long after Smyth was traded where some yahoos were walking around with a home made crayoned SMYTH banner that was attached to balloons?

I think after or during the 2nd they went as close to the other banners as they could and released it into the air. The banner was too heavy and it didn’t quite make it half way to the other banners and in some ways I guess it was appropriate.

Was that Staios’ wonky pass or Smid not playing it?

15. Scott says:

I think a bit of both LT. Pass was definitely in the skates. But then Staios also chased to a guy the backchecker was on and Carcillo was left free. A lot of bad to go around.

16. danny says:

wtf is Jovo complaining about there? Hilarious almost.

17. Derek says:

Looked like Smid got control of it, but I don’t understand why Staios would dish it to his partner when there opposition is closer to Smid than it is Staois.

18. Lord Bob says:

Come on, Tambellini. Send Staios to live with a nice family in the country already.

Except Staios is a veteran and that appeared to be a bomb (puck in skates with forechecker bearing down and o by the way you’re three feet in front of your net).

20. Derek says:

there = the * !

Oh, those Oilers.

22. Ribs says:

Once again, Cole is NOT a defenseman. Ugh.

23. Scott says:

That was a pretty lazy backcheck by Cole. Like, really lazy.

Also, where was Grebeshkov? I didn’t see when he left the point.

24. andy grabia says:

How bout those Oilers? The good thing is, Kevin Lowe’s been in this position the last six to eight years, so they should be fine…

25. danny says:

Cole put the breaks on pretty early in that one, looked a little awkward.

He didnt expect Jokinen to hold on that long I guess.

26. Ribs says:

Side note – Who’s facial hair looks goofier? Jokinen’s or Penner’s?

27. Scott says:

Do you think Smid is listening to this Huddy interview. That’s got to be awkward.

28. Ribs says:

Side note 2 – Why does Quinn call them “Mick-call-uck” when every other announcer in the world calls them “Mih-hale-ek”?

29. andy grabia says:

That was an impressive shift.

30. bookie says:

See, it works because every defensive player is asking “where is Hemsky, I have to keep my eyes on Hemsky”

Anyone who thinks Hemsky is overpaid should look at what he does for teammates.

31. andy grabia says:

I wonder if Smid was so mad after that Huddy interview that he decided to take it out on somebody?

32. Ribs says:

Hehe… Carcillo is fun.

33. Scott says:

Wow, what a shift. They won a ton of puck battles to keep it going.

Also, Smid is a pretty good fighter. Expanding his role here is real smart given he’s competing with guys like Strudwick and Peckham for a spot.

34. Mike says:

Ramblings comin’ atcha:

1) So that’s what it’s like to have a real #1 line. That looked like domination leading up to the Penner goal.

2) Extend Ladislav Smid. Now.

3) Nice block Gags. Rub some dirt on it and get back out there.

That is all.

35. andy grabia says:

What is with that junk on Penner’s face? Is he auditioning for The Killers?

36. danny says:

I maybe missed this discussed somewhere, but are the various Oilers sporting new moustaches a homage to Andy?

37. Black Dog says:

Sorry about the Iggles, Andy.

Bunch of us watched the game, reasonably astute sports fans, other then Neil Lomax and Cuba Gooding Jr., nobody could name someone who had suited up for the Cards in the past. What a shit franchise.

Steelers/Ravens was a bloodbath – what a game.

Ok lads time to make some hay now.

38. Mike says:

Bookie:

You know someone who thinks Hemsky is overpaid? I’d like to meet him, and thrash him to within an inch of his miserable, worthless life.

39. Scott says:

Did he just reference Paul E. Danerously? Like from Florida Championship Wrestling? If so, that reeks of awesomeness.

40. Ribs says:

I’ve got a bunch of guys on my industrial team who play against Anderson, Ranford, and friends in the Oldtimers vs. Fire fighters games. The old guys are still pretty damn good hockey players.

41. andy grabia says:

but are the various Oilers sporting new moustaches a homage to Andy?

I appreciate the thought, but they shouldn’t be doing it for me.

Sorry about the Iggles, Andy.

I hate that team right now. I just hope this means the McNabb/Reid era is finally over. What a terrible performance. Terrible defensive scheme, terrible performance by McNabb and Akers, and just a giant clusterf**k of a game. How they don’t double team Fitzgerald is beyond me. How they make Kurt Warner look like Joe Montana is also beyond me. That Cardinals team would have won six games in any other division, and now they’re off to the Superbowl.

42. Mustafa Hirji says:

Looking at the out of town scores, it seems that Calgary really is useless without Kipper, and that Columbus scored 5 on Luongo on a mere 25 shots.

43. Ribs says:

Maybe they should have tried Brodziak for that faceoff…he’s 8-0 so far this game.

44. bookie says:

Mike-I seem to remember some Hemsky haters around. Maybe they have all faded from view, but I remember some.

45. Scott says:

Yeah, I’m sure Dustin Penner from Winkler MANITOBA has GREAT memories of Glenn Anderson.

46. bookie says:

Penner was 9 years old when Anderson won his 5th cup witht he Oilers, he might remember that.

48. danny says:

Simpson seemed to be a little disturbed by 3 of the guys gushing over his looks.

49. Tyler says:

Is everyone into the hooch tonight? Stauffer just characterized Anderson as a “balls out hockey player”.

Incidentally, the line that the media kept Anderson out of the HHOF doesn’t really make any sense; there aren’t many media members on the selection committee.

50. andy grabia says:

What is with Stauffer? Does he always look so angry/disinterested during these things?

51. Coach pb9617 says:

Oh yes you do. That’s Steve’s definition of “outlet pass”

52. Coach pb9617 says:

Hemsky is taking way too many hits tonight. Leelo needs halp.

53. Scott says:

LT,

Your mistress won in the shoot-out tonight. Vancouver seems to be in free fall mode. As a Vancouver resident, I could not be more pleased.

54. slipper says:

Quirky is the new Maverick.

55. Ribs says:

there aren’t many media members on the selection committee.

Are we not counting announcers? I’ve got 7 out of 18 guys with media history straight from their profiles on that page.

56. R3dm3n8c3 says:

Re: Coach and Danny debate

Coach, some of the guys on your list of 71 “sawoff” players are J. Thornton, Heatley, Lecavalier, and some other pretty big names. Not only is this going to bias your calculation of the average salary of a “sawoffer” up, but it is not really in the spirit of Danny’s argument IMO.

57. Coach pb9617 says:

Lomax had all kinds of talent and actually had a couple of decent receivers.

Timm Rosenback was supposed to be the next Neil Lomax. Jake Plummer was supposed to be the next Jim Hart.

58. Tyler says:

I wasn’t really counting the PBP guys. I note that Duhatschek seems to be the only Western media guy too – there aren’t a lot of people who would have dealt with Anderson very frequently in the media/player capacity on that list.

59. Loxy says:

Word up.

60. Scott says:

Did the guy even touch him?

Fix the freaking ice!

61. Ribs says:

Okay Tyler, I admit I was just being difficult.

Columbus has a lot of things to like imo. A perfect scenario this spring would be a DET vs CBJ opener with the Jackets winning in 7OT.

Winning goal: Pisani (after he’s traded at the deadline for a failed 1st rder).

63. Lord Bob says:

We need some sort of support group for all us Victoria/Vancouver types who have to put up with Canucks fans.

64. Coach pb9617 says:

If you take away the “all-star” type wingers, you’re left with a really shallow, very inconsistent pool that can’t be counted on to do what you’re asking.

Except for Penner, Bourque and this Hanzal fellow.

65. andy grabia says:

It’s called living in Edmonton.

66. Scott says:

Smid’s back out on the ice again, so I guess he’ll be fine which is good to see.

Paul E. Dangerously again!
    Long live F.C.W.!

67. Scott says:

It’s called living in Edmonton.

You know I was always opposed to Edmonton taxpayers buying a new arena until I moved out to B.C. Now it seems like it might not be such a bad idea :)

68. slipper says:

Two ass penalties in one game.

Coincidence?

//Dan Dierdorf was a Cardinal, and I think their QB when I was a kid was Jim Hart. That’s all I got.//

Roy Green, Terry Metcalf

70. bookie says:

I am just waiting for someone to call Glen Anderson a F#$#ing weirdo. Everyone keeps saying he was ‘a real individual’, he ‘had his own way’, etc.

Come on, just call him a freak. He seems normal enough, but clearly he has some deep strangeness.

No mention of the swimming pool incident either.

72. Scott says:

Cole with a blocked shot and a blocked pass there. It’s strange because at EV he doesn’t always seem to know where he needs to be, yet SH he manages to get in the way a whole lot.

73. bookie says:

It could be worse, we could be building a $100million condo complex for $1billion of taxpayer money. But that would make us BC so…

74. Coach pb9617 says:

Stump Mitchell

Ottis Anderson

75. Ribs says:

Paul E. Dangerously again!
    Long live F.C.W.!

I remember meeting a Paul that my dad knew through work (I think) that was a stats guy for the Oilers. He got me some tickets for my 18th birthday and came down from the mezzanine to give me a copy of of the official stats sheet for the game. I can’t seem to find the thing now but it’s pretty neat.

I wonder if it’s the same guy?

76. bookie says:

You see the problem was that Garon was sleeping with Pouliot’s wife and Moreau’s wife and this was causing problems so….

Given that this is Edmonton, that will be the rumour by next week.

77. Scott says:

But that’s mostly Vancouver’s problem and I’m in Langley. No major expenses. Just the enjoyment of their fruits.

(Also, point taken, condo project is ridiculous.)

I should have remembered Terry Metcalf. He played for the Argos for a time.

79. Tyler says:

No mention of the swimming pool incident either.

In fairness, Dennis isn’t working the broadcast, just chatting with us.

At the risk of seeming naive – what’s so weird about the swimming pool incident? As I understand it, someone got drunk or something and drowned in his pool. That sort of thing happens, no?

80. Coach pb9617 says:

It’s nice having a first line, even if I’m white-knuckling this game and praying to the hockey gods to keep that line safe.

LOTS of detail missing in the news reports. LOTS.

82. Tyler says:

Drugs of some sort then? I mean, I’ve heard the same rumours about Anderson that everyone else has, I’m just trying to figure out what could have been happening that was so immoral. Did Anderson say “sloppy seconds” at some point during it?

83. slipper says:

Tyler, it was rumoured to be someone Glenn was intimate with.

Or somoene who marched in time to the beat of Glenn’s drum, or someone who appealed to Glenn’s apparent quirky, independent nature.

84. Alice says:

//There was some fella in here before yammering about how easy it was to find a retread to "sawoff" the tough minutes on the cheap and that Horcoff was a waste//

No, coach, Danny said turning your guts inside out to get a Lecav to outscore in Horcoff's role, PVP, the same net result out of the top 6 might be easier achieved [guts right-side-in, no 11yr contract ] by putting a saweroff at <7M on 1L and letting Horc feast against lessers, which Danny believes Horcoff has some knack for. It does not mean he thinks Horc is a waste, on the contrary, he thinks the net + of Lecav might be got by Mr Horcoff, if we retreat from PVP, and thus save some of the convolutions involved in the purchase of Vinnie.

Don't know if it's right or not, but that can be debated. To characterize danny's argument as contra-Horcoff is just HUA, to use your phrase.

85. Ribs says:

I think this Hemksy guy might be pretty good.

86. slipper says:

Ales Hemsky sure plays with gay abandon.

87. Scott says:

So welcome back Hemmer. You know, it’s no coincidence that this team became more “frustrating” and/or “boring” when Hemsky was hurt. That guy is a joy to watch play the game.

88. andy grabia says:

What a goal. No wonder other teams run him.

89. slipper says:

The room has turned against that twat, right?

90. Scott says:

Now that one is a BIG goal. Anderson big.

91. slipper says:

Oh, it was Staios. Nevermind then.

92. Alice says:

For instance, does a Stoll show up in the list of 71?

93. andy grabia says:

Damn. I was kinda hoping Pouliot would take the puck from Moreau and prevent him from getting the hatty. That or Souray pushing him out of the way and taking the puck.

94. Lord Bob says:

Loxy, that’s what you get for living next door to a Pink Floyd tribute band.

Also, Ethan Moreau would have four goals if we’d kept Glencross and if Penner wasn’t so fat and if MacTavish hadn’t lost the room!

95. slipper says:

That may be the gayest song I’ve ever hear played in the locker room after a win.

Is there a theme for the evening, or something?

96. Aram says:

that’s some pretty bas ass music in the oiler locker room…

97. bookie says:

To be fair to Anderson, this City (Edmonton) is pretty imature about its players and everything that happens somehow gets tawdry – Comrie slept with Salo’s wife, Pronger slept with some News lady, anderson,and now this thing with Garon and Moreau…

Pretty immature really

98. Loxy says:

Private Eyes??

99. Ribs says:

I hope they make that their new intro song. Great.

100. Lord Bob says:

Correct me if I’m wrong, but was the last Oilers’ captain to shoot a hat trick Doug Weight against Dallas in April of 2000?

101. HBomb says:

What the fuck is with the music in the Oiler dressing room???

102. gary b says:

gotta love the 80s stash-pop on Glenn Anderson night…

103. bookie says:

Seriously, they should be fined by the league for that song!

104. Coach pb9617 says:

Did Anderson say “sloppy seconds” at some point during it?

BAN! BAN!

CHILDREN MIGHT BE READING THIS!

BAN!

WAIVE HIM LT! WAIVE HIM!

105. bookie says:

Maybe this is 80′s night with the stashes and the music!

106. slipper says:

Moreau and Pouliot look like BFFs.

Garon was the rat. Right?

107. Loxy says:

Moreau with a hat trick and now the music and clapping…

When am I going to wake up??

108. Lord Bob says:

I feel like I’m having a bad trip and you’re all along for the ride.

109. Coach pb9617 says:

To characterize danny’s argument as contra-Horcoff is just HUA, to use your phrase.

Read more closely, I never said it was contra-Horcoff. I simply said that it’s not cheap and easy to find a guy to play toughs to a draw or better.

110. Ribs says:

The Edmonton Oilers, the first ever all-gay professional hockey club. Don’t believe me? Go read Tom Gilbert’s blog.

111. Coach pb9617 says:

What a goal. No wonder other teams run him.

He needs to invest in Mark Kelso’s helmet.

112. doritogrande says:

Wow. Now that’s a statement game from Ales Hemsky.

I also don’t think there’s any way this team can trade Ladi Smid given the way he’s playing these days for anything less than a top-line player. Simply put, the man has arrived.

Good on the captain for his hat trick.

114. gary b says:

kind of a goofy night, but fun nonetheless.at least it wasn’t Cyndi Lauper.

and man, someone tell Rob Brown those ESL lessons are working wonders.

115. Coach pb9617 says:

I hope they make that their new intro song. Great.

It’s better than the silliness that they play now.

116. slipper says:

I think every city is pretty immature about professional sports. The act of following a pro-sports team is pretty immature if you think about it.

I’d take a bullet for Glenn Anderson for Christ sake! Still, just listen to every one of his ppers talk about him- he’s obviously a deeply, deeply disturbed human being;)

117. gary b says:

i don’t know if Gene Principe has kids, but he probably felt like he was crashing a slumber party just then…

118. Loxy says:

Where can I get the last 10 minutes Gene spends in the locker room?

From the “Break my Stride” (by Unique II or Matthew Wilder) to Ethan Moreau clapping to “Private Eyes”…

Is this a fever dream?

//Private Eyes by Hall & Oates. I played it on the radio AND danced to it in the clubs. 25 years ago I'd bet.//

Eighites blue-eyed soul from Philadelphia.

Loxy: It’s a Pouliot mix tape.

121. Loxy says:

Loxy: It’s a Pouliot mix tape.

I’m willing to bet the next song was Dee-lite “Groove is in the Heart”.

122. Alice says:

Maybe cheaper and easier than pursuing Vinnie, though? That’s the question he was making.
    It was a Vinnie post, and upon reading more closely, it was You who attributed ‘Horcoff is a waste’ to his piece. That’s not quite what he had in mind, and everyone else seemed to catch on.

123. slipper says:

In fairness to Hull & Oates, that song doesn't sound half as queer when listened to while blowing a rail off of a prostitutes ass.

124. uni says:

I still don’t believe that game just happened.

I’m going to bed now, tommorow I’ll get up and check the score, if it’s the same as I remember tonight I’ll celebrate then…everytime you think you’re free this team just reels you back in.

Bastards!

OR it could have been If You Leave by Orchestral Maneuvers in the Dark.

126. andy grabia says:

OMD? Way too slow, LT. Damn. Now I wish I’d seen this.

What about Everyone have fun tonight by Wang Chung? Or, even cooler, Driver’s Seat by Flash and the Pan?

128. Loxy says:

I figured it out… those other two songs are from 81 and 83…

So, from 82, I’m going with “Come on Eileen” by Dexys Midnight Runners.

129. HBomb says:

Ok, does the fact that I just downloaded Private Eyes off iTunes make me queer?

I plan on playing it as my new personal Oiler win celebration song.

Great song. A stunner. What about Bowie’s China Girl?

131. HBomb says:

Ok, so the first one was “Break my Stride”? By whom?

Yes, looking for it on iTunes. So what?

132. Loxy says:

Yes, China Girl.

That seems ideal for a Moreau tribute song.

Matthew Wilder.

134. HBomb says:

The Matthew Wilder version is not available on iTunes.

Fuck you Steve Jobs.

135. Lord Bob says:

Hull & Oates are no good, but they're no Koivo Brothers Band, or even Chris Simon and Garfunkel.

136. doritogrande says:

Quietly unnoticed by the 3-stars commitee, Andrew Cogliano had three assists tonight.

When did this Oilers team remember how to block shots? Big props to 89 and 85 tonight. Reminded me of the cup run with Horcoff sliding out to block a point shot off his damn face.

And you’re all wrong. Next song coming up was probably going to be “we’re not going to take it (in the bum)”.

137. doritogrande says:

…or quite possibly some song called “too drunk to fuck” by the Dead Kennedys.

138. Henry says:

Ribs: They’re not the first. Check these fine ’80s fellows.

139. DeBakey says:

Hey!

Lay off
    Driver’s Seat by Flash and the Pan
    I’m serious

Just back away from the keyboard and nobody gets hurt

140. jon k says:

Kids these days. Since when is Hall and Oates gay?

Game-wise, probably the best I’ve seen this season.

Team-wise, beginning to feel that this team is noticeably better than the incarnations from the previous 2 seasons.

141. HBomb says:

Driver’s Seat?

Didn’t Sniff’n the Tears do that song? That one was on the radio when I was out for a late-spring drive the night the Oilers took out Anaheim in game 5 in 2006….

142. Coach pb9617 says:

it was You who attributed ‘Horcoff is a waste’ to his piece.

Again, read more closely, which you sometimes have difficulty doing with your own posts [see: Moreau, Ethan]. Never attributed that position to him. I’m disagreeing that it’s cheap and easy [reference the quotes I pulled in the above post] to find a center that can play tough minutes to a draw or better.

It’s not. Regardless of what he’s saying about Lecavalier or Horcoff, that entire line of thinking is incorrect.

143. Lord Bob says:

Utterly unrelated: I’m going to be rocking Vancouver tomorrow; my first day off in a while. I have no particular plans for most of the day, so if anyone knows any Canucks fans I can go by while going “HA-HA!” then please, do, let me know.

144. Ribs says:

Ribs: They’re not the first. Check these fine ’80s fellows.

Nice.

145. Coach pb9617 says:

He simply pushed a puck here and there. It was Moreau’s dominant one-on-one game that got him those assists.

146. Lord Bob says:

A fire hydrant could record three assists playing with Ethan Moreau?

147. slipper says:

Technically any song could be defined as gay when being blasted in a room full of ecstatic men undressing together.

Damn. You’re right it was Sniff n the Tears. Flash and the Pan did Waiting for a Train.

149. HBomb says:

LT: Driver’s Seat is a great song. Better because it immediately reminds me of ripping down Boudreau Road, on the way home from Sorrentino’s, to watch Raffi f’n Torres send the Oil to the finals.

150. Ribs says:

Does something come up on the Oilers site when MacT does his thing with the live feed? or should I stop it and wait?

btw, the Oilers sleep alone in 8th tonight (snap snap).

152. Ribs says:

Clapping in unison doesn’t help the matter either.

It’s all good. Anything north of Michael Bolton and it’s all good.

154. Loxy says:

Clap Clap

…has to go into the Oilogosphere dictionary.

155. Lord Bob says:

This is the best Lowetide comment thread in many moons, I must say.

156. Ribs says:

Agreed.

157. DeBakey says:

Watched Grosse Point Blank last night

Was just warming up for Andy’s big day today

158. doritogrande says:

Loxy:

Seconded.

And Slipper, I don’t care if he’s as big as a fire hydrant, 3 assists is nothing to sniff at. Oddly enough, Ethan Moreau was his usual defensive lapse, going +1 for his hat-trick efforts.

159. Lord Bob says:

Also, forget solo eighth: we’re a game above .500 for the first time since, like, Brian Mulroney.

160. Fake Craig McTavish says:

Trivia question LT.

Which former member of the the Ohio Express writes for the Edmonton Journal?

161. HBomb says:

Lowetide: This one’s for you.

Next up will be “Eyes of a Stranger” by the Payolas….

162. slipper says:

“And Slipper, I don’t care if he’s as big as a fire hydrant…

163. R3dm3n8c3 says:

Cheaper:
    His argument was that we could find someone cheaper than Lecavalier. In your estimate of the cost of finding someone cheaper, you actually include Vinny.

Easy:
    your argument that it is not easy to find someone is based on your list of (only) 71 guys (out of a possible 90). Is this high or low? Its nearly 80 percent of all guys you consider.

Regardless of whether Danny’s line of thought is correct or not, your stats don’t help much one way or the other IMO. Fun list? sure. But it doesn’t really get at the question.

164. doritogrande says:

“Lowetide: This one’s for you.

That drummer had better be high out of his mind. Either that, or he’s real simple. Like, special simple.

165. DeBakey says:

Does Al Kellogg still write for the Journal?

166. doritogrande says:

“Is this furthering the gay innuendo, because otherwise I don’t know what the hell you’re talking about.”

Nah, it’s me not thinking before I type.

167. HBomb says:

This Hall and Oates tune is rather catchy. Fuck, it’s going to be in my head at work ALL day tomorrow.

168. Fake Craig McTavish says:

Danny. There is a disconnect in your logic here:

“Coach this is my last post on this subject because its going nowhere obviously.

My ‘cheaper’ caveat was referring to two things. 1) Cheaper than Lecavalier 2) I referred to cheaper in light of Horcoff potentially being a consistent 75-80 point player making $5M”

Horcoff is not a consistent 75-80 point player and is already too old to be labelled as such.

He’s a consistent “inconsistent” player if you actually examine the facts rather than your fervent aspirations.

169. Ribs says:

You just had the wrong poster, dorito. L.Bob made the hydrant comment.

*Snap Snap*

170. Fake Craig McTavish says:

DeBakey said…
    Does Al Kellogg still write for the Journal?

Ding, ding, ding.

171. docweb says:

Back from the game.

The feel I had in the building compared to #11′s was different in several ways.

The ceremonies were both fine (except for some bonehead who yelled out “F— yeah” near the tail end of Lowe’s speech).

After Mess’ ceremony the game was just brutal. The crowd was not in it at all (thanks to Smyth being traded that day) and at least 1/3 of the crowd had left by halfway through the third. It was as if the life was just sucked out of the season after that night.

Tonight the game was very entertaining. Almost like the old days. Cole may have won the “fastest” Oiler in the skills competition but watching Cogs live…he is just so quick.

That quick little clearing play by Vish in the last couple of minutes in the corner was just golden.

All around…well worth the trip and price of admission. And I haven’t been able to say that too often this year.

172. Asiaoil says:

Wow you guys were into lame stuff back in the day :) Hall and Oates… that’s like Schremp thong embarrassing. Oilers should have had this 80′s classic on after the game in honor of Moreau’s play this seaosn and his “heroics” tonight:

….I was more into the west coast industrial scene like Skinny Puppy and DOA myself back then :)

173. Tyler says:

I’m not wild about the repeated rhyming of “serve” with “deserve” but otherwise prefer AO’s taste in music.

I’m not touching the club music joke that this thread demands.

174. HBomb says:

Lowetide: I’ll see that and raise you some Chilliwack….

175. doritogrande says:

In honour of Ethan Moreau’s…uh…Mighty mighty…performance?

176. Steve says:

btw, the Oilers sleep alone in 8th tonight (snap snap).

By winning percentage, I have them in sole possession of fifth: division leaders and Chicago the only ones ahead of them. Which is not to say that they’re in good shape so much as that this is one tight conference.

I liked pretty much all music avaiable in those years. The Clash was done but Talking Heads were terrific, and the radio had some nice things like Bowie, Dire Straits and every once in awhile a new band would come along with a good record (remember Life in a Northern Town or Steppin’ Out?) and of course Elvis Costello wrote good songs.

But I liked it all, the metal stuff too. I think people have always made weird value judgements about music.

I mean, Neil Young and the Band are two of my all time favorite artists but it doesn’t mean I can’t appreciate that Karen Carpenter was an amazing singer.

Right?

Remember that scene from Tommy Boy where they sing that Carpenters song? Classic.

178. Asiaoil says:

Just for you Tyler

…so fitting on Andy’s big night :)

I forgot U2, Joy Division and Public Image. All good stuff. Gang of Four too.

180. Ribs says:

Is that Liam Reddox in that video?

181. Lord Bob says:

Basically, except for a few acts like Peter Gabriel, my music world ended in 1979.

So I’m looking at this aspect of the conversation like Dustin Penner at a “Closed” sign on McDonalds.

Plus the Jam. I loved the Jam. Down in the Tube Station at Midnight, Start, That’s Entertainment.

That band wrote tremendous songs.

Selling England by the Pound was amazing.

184. Tyler says:

I’ve been dating a girl lately who likes 80′s music and it’s a mystery to me. I’ve never heard most of this stuff. I’m pretty much of the conclusion that music peaked between 1991 and 1995.

185. Asiaoil says:

Gang of Four…now you’re talking LT. Did you hear the tribute album released a couple of years….Return The Gift…a couple interesting re-do’s.

186. Tyler says:

(Although that Toto song with the line including both “Serengeti” and “Kilimanjaro” is fantastic.)

187. Asiaoil says:

Tyler….it been my experience that music appears to peak for each person at approximately the same time they are getting laid more than any other period in their life. Some people are just unfortunate with their timing and are stuck with a strange erotic attraction to Boy George for the rest of their life. It’s all quite sad, actually :)

188. Tyler says:

Hmm, well, given that I was about about god knows how many years from my peak in that category at that time, I can safely say that I am an outlier AND, therefore, objectively correct.

189. Asiaoil says:

Don’t worry Tyler…just my subjective, drug-induced ranting :)

..and didn’t wasn’t Garon at Cobain’s place on the fatal night in question? I’d blame him.

I went to a Gang of Four concert in 1981. It was one of the life-changing days in my life.

191. Loxy says:

You know what was pretty life changing for me in ’81?

My birth.

192. YKOil says:

The music of my life in an Oilers gdt.

Cool.

193. grease trap says:

“my birth”

bah-zing!

(also, that 5th Element red a while back from someone else…hb?…had me laughing)

194. gary b says:

for those of us old enough to remember, the 80s were a pretty fantastic time, in some ways, for Canadian music. pre-internet and myspace, lots of interesting little Canadian bands made their way in the world, relying on touring, CanCon rules and shows like 'Video Hits'. The Spoons, Rough Trade, Martha & the Muffins, and of course the Payola$ and Parachute Club (before David Foster sucked everything interesting out of both bands)…

195. bookie says:

A fire hydrant could record three assists playing with Ethan Moreau?

As I said after goal 1, Garon was Moreau’s albatross… Now you will all see the genius that is MacKatzambaloweny

As soon as Shremp is traded you will see how Staois Blossoms!

196. bookie says:

BTW,
    This is the best song from the 80′s

Its the Jim Carrol Band

You can ignore the cartoon that someone has stuck onto it…but that song is awesome.

197. Loxy says:

bah-zing!

Actually, the appropriate response is now “clap clap”.

198. bookie says:

Maybe its not the best song, but the best song that never made it….

Here is a better link, actual video