Oilers at Avs, G44/08-09

This is Don Ashby. His nickname was “Ants.” Ashby was a high pick (#6 overall) by the Toronto Maple Leafs in 1976. This was at a time of extreme transition in the Leafs organization so Ashby moved up the depth chart and became a starter before he was ready to carry a big load.

It did not go well. Toronto (an organization that would make some questionable moves during this time, like drafting Doug Jarvis and trading him the same summer. Who does that?) seemed to be bringing in kids six at a time every month or so during these years and Ashby became so frustrated with the Leafs he quit for a time.

Eventually he was sent away to Colorado to play for the Rockies. On February 25, 1980 he was traded to Edmonton for a very unhappy Bobby Schmautz and played well for the Oilers, scoring 10 times in 18 games.

In 80-81 he played some with the big club but spent most of the season in the minors (Wichita Wind). The club had a wonderful playoff, taking Salt Lake City to 7-games despite being overmatched.

Driving home from that playoff series, Don Ashby was struck head-on and died from internal injuries on May 30, 1981.

The Edmonton Oilers are in tough again tonight against the Colorado Avalanche. Those two teams and Minnesota have games-in-hand on the suddenly struggling Vancouver Canucks and a win tonight for Edmonton would erase the frustration of bleeding out one drop at a time against the demons in Minnesota. I will go ahead and predict that Ryan Smyth kicks ass in this game. He’s hot (6 points in his last 3 games) and the Avs seem to be putting things together a little bit (despite their loss last night).

The Oilers can still cover the bet (alone in 8th at the break) but winning tonight is vital. History tells us the Oilers will get out of Denver with fewer than 2 points tonight. They won in Washington for the first time since the Nixon administration and lost to Minnesota to keep that tradition alive.

Can they win a NW road game in January? You know the answer.

213 Responses to "Oilers at Avs, G44/08-09"

Newer Comments »
  1. Jfry says:

watching horc center two ahl guys reminded me of our run to the gagne. is this the year reddox gets 56 games and then doesn’t play any meaningful games for the big team for another two years a la pouliot?

2. HBomb says:

Something a bit different today: in “tribute” to last night’s Sheldon Souray three-punch beat down of Kyle Weller, I give you the greatest enforcer in NHL history:

I think I need to invent a drink and name it after Dave Brown. How about a shot of Royal Reserve whiskey dropped into a half-pint of Pilsner, served in a broken glass?

3. mjsh says:

My thought when they left on the trip was that they would win two out of the three. Obviously, tonights game is the difference maker. I think Rolly starts again and Oil win 3-2. Both teams have lots of injuries, and so lots of AHL players.
    The avalanche are going stay on the outside of the playoff race, the Oilers still can finish 6th.

4. Swabbubba says:

I don’t get what happened last night. Lets roll 4 lines.I hope Ethan finds his brain… that was brutal. MacT was in full gloss mode after the game. If I was company paying for hits I would demand an audit

5. quain says:

I thought MacT was pretty bang on, we lost the game on defensive plays that should’ve been made, but beyond that we looked pretty good. A lot of energy, maybe not the highest skill, but we’re sporting a lot of AHLers so all you can hope for is hustle and tight play. I think the forwards were mostly there, but the defense screwed the pooch pretty badly.

Ethan Moreau can’t make a crisp pass to save his life. Staples blamed Souray somewhere else, but I’ve seen enough Moreau skate passes to know that’s all him.

The powerplay remains an issue and this team needs Ales Hemsky, badly.

I assumed Vancouver would be unreachable, given the addition of Sundin and Luongo’s return, but they could very easily close out the month going 1-3 or 0-4 and put themselves closer to danger than they should be, which could be a big boon for us.

6. Unleaded says:

Lowetide Said:
    Can they win a NW road game in January? You know the answer.

It’s blowing in Wichita?

Seriously though, I really liked what I saw last night from the Oilers, other than the result. The effort was definitely there, and if Rocketskates manages to get a stick on that puck in the crease before he’s rammed into the boards, the game is tied, and the Oilers don’t need to make the bad pinches that resulted in the additional goals.

My real concern is that the Oilers continue to give up scoring chances in the slot. The D is doing a good job of covering down low, but clutering up the middle is the forwards responsibility, and right now it’s not happening. If we can find a way to cover that tonight, I think we win the game. If not… GO JACKETS!

7. R-Gib says:

With Ales still out this PP is up the creek w/o a playmaker. Gagner looks like he’s trying too hard on the half boards, and can’t seem to settle down and make a play. I love the kid, I just wish we had a dependable relief pitcher who could get the job done. I think this will be Sammy someday, hopefully soon.

“I hope Ethan finds his brain”
    – no kidding! Can you sit out your capitan? Is that allowed? I guess MacT sees it as a slump of sorts, and is hoping he plays through it… but I am groaning and throwing things every time El Capitano is on the ice. Can we take him off of the PK already?

So what is the point of Garon sticking around anyway? He plays one in ten and his confidence looks shot. Why not trade or waive the guy?

8. doritogrande says:

“Can you sit out your capitan? Is that allowed?”

It was mentioned in the GDT yesterday that Chris Clark (WAS) was a healthy scratch their last game out.

I wish we had Bruce Boudreau.

9. Ribs says:

Can we take him off of the PK already?

Shhh…The PK has been pretty decent lately. Don’t jinx it.

10. R-Gib says:

Sorry Ribs – didn’t mean to shoot us in the foot.

Can we trade in our Ethan for another Liam?

11. quain says:

When is Pisani due back, anyhow? If we could have him and Ales in the line-up after the ASB I’d be pretty bloody happy.

12. more green says:

13. doritogrande says:

“Weller (6’4, 224lbs) suffered a concussion from his fight last night with Souray.”

Message sent.

14. Doogie2K says:

Just saw the Souray-Weller bout. When he doesn’t fall on his shoulder and miss half the season, buddy can fight. I still remember when he was with Montreal and he came into the Saddledome and messed up Darren McCarty something fierce, a game I happened to be at. Got tossed for his wrist brace, which I thought was bullshit, but it was a heck of a scrap anyway.

15. Bill Needle says:

No one gets hurt in a hockey fight.

16. Schitzo says:

Souray is an absolute wolverine. Once he’s riled up he will mess you up before you realize how much trouble you’re in.

So Penner takes a guy out of the lineup with a one-punch, Souray gives a guy a concussion, Souray one-punches Ohlund, Mac is back in the lineup. Are we at a point where other team’s tough guys think twice?

17. Nelson88 says:

Schitzo.

I believe we are. No way the old Oilers would have been as brave as they were the last few minutes against the Wild.

Say what you want about Mac but he allows the team to play bigger by counter balancing the other teams nuclear arsenal.

Now if only they could play a full game with some piss and vinegar and throw their weight around a bit more.

18. Unleaded says:

That depends if the other teams tough guy is Boogey or Ian Laperriere.

And you know that shits like Kesler don’t care either way, so…

19. Schitzo says:

And you know that shits like Kesler don’t care either way, so…

Sam Gagner, nuclear deterrent.

20. Coach pb9617 says:

The powerplay remains an issue and this team needs Ales Hemsky, badly.

Or it needs Gagner in place of Cole.

21. HBomb says:

Or it needs Gagner in place of Cole.

Or how about those two together on the first unit? Seems like it works at even-strength, yes?

Those two with Horcoff and then Penner-Pouliot-Cogliano as unit two perhaps?

22. Coach pb9617 says:

LT – you probably don’t know this, but whatever became of Ashby’s wife? I read about Ashby previously when I was going through the wiki entry on hockey players that have died young, but can’t find anything more about his wife.

//Why not trade or waive the guy?//

1) Injury insurance. The Oilers have too many goaltenders on the roster, but NOT too many goaltenders in the organization ready to play.

2) The Oilers might want to be able to trade Roloson at the trade deadline.

When Pisani and Hemsky get healthy, and if Brule and Potulny can’t be sent down risk free, that is the point where Garon might be waived.

24. Unleaded says:

Those two with Horcoff and then Penner-Pouliot-Cogliano as unit two perhaps?

Fatty-Hobbit-Train has much more potential from where I’m sitting as a #1PP simply because Train and Hobbit cycle well, and Fatty still sits in front of the net for point shots. If you have them out with Gargoylepuck and Slick, i think you’d have everything you need to get the puck deep and keep it there, as long as Penner supports the puck.

Playing Poocoffny as the second unit with the 77-44 tandem on the backend would be a weaker unit, but would give some experience to some guys who could use it and make sure that 10 is still there to give them support if they need it.

25. Buddha7305 says:

“godot10 said…
    //Why not trade or waive the guy?//

3) Waiving Garon is what a classless organization would do. It is not as if he has been given the opportunity. If you want to sign role players in the future, you can’t treat your role players with disrespect. “

Sorry for not knowing how to do quotes on here.

BTW great blog, enjoy reading it from Sudbury every day.

26. Bruce says:

Yeah no shit. There was stark contrast between the two clubs last night in that respect. Oilers got nothing clean from the slot, and anything from above the circles was driven into a diamond of one forward, two defencemen somewhere near their natural position, and that fucker Backstrom. Meanwhile Minny got all sorts of clean looks from the wheelhouse and buried some of them.

Hockeyfights.com records Souray having been in 12 fights since the lockout, recording 11 wins and a draw. In a system with three possible votes (win, lose, draw), Souray scored over 70% in 10 of those scraps, and over 90% in 6 of them. The man does not fuck around.

In this respect he reminds me of another hardrock Oiler blueliner of bygone days, Lee Fogolin. Like Sheldon, Fogy used to only fight two or three times a year, but on those occasions that he did get riled enough to drop the gloves, god help the other guy. As the late great Scott Young once wrote of another strongman and occasional scrapper, Tim Horton: “You could plant tulip bulbs in his skates and call him a windmill.”

@Unleaded: Who the fuck is Gargoylepuck? I’m having toruble evaluating your proposed PP combos.

27. Bruce says:

Buddha7305: Welcome. I assume you are referring to second-tier players like Roloson, Staios, Pisani, and Moreau. When it comes to really Paying, the Oilers have a long tradition of letting other organizations pay their former stars that may be second to none. Paul Coffey and Wayne Gretzky were the first, but Kurri, Messier, Anderson and Fuhr all found new addresses with bigger paycheques in the fall of '91, and Kevin Lowe a year later. More recently guys like Curtis Joseph, Doug Weight, and Ryan Smyth signed their big contracts elsewhere after playing their best hockey here. Glen Sather himself got his big ticket elsewhere long after his best years as a GM/coach.

Shawn Horcoff seems to be the first exception of a home-grown guy signed to a serious big-money contract after his 30th birthday; the others previously added to the books were of outsiders like Pronger, Souray and Visnovsky.

Btw, you can italicize quotes by palcing the letter "i" between lesser than/greater than brackets (< and >) at the beginning, and close the italics by putting "/i" in the same brackets at the end. "b" and "/b" do the same for bold.

28. Schitzo says:

I may be wrong, but I believe Grebs = on acid = sees a tiny gargoyle on the ice where the puck should be

29. Coach pb9617 says:

Gotta be Grebs.

//The above comment is why Oilers will never be “great” again. Look at the NFL’s Patriots, the are all business, if you can no longer perform, your gone. (Lawyer Milroy, Corey Dillon to name a few) You get paid for what your about to do not what you have done. (Another Oiler mistake that also irratates me). Players get paid handsomely and if an organization is winning it doesn’t mattr how the players are treated on the downside of their careers. Players know that and the ones still trying to get to a championship will respect that. When a medicore club does it is a “lack of honor”.//

I gave other reasons also…like injury insurance, and perhaps wanting to trade Roloson at the deadline. And I also said the Oilers would waive him if it became necessary if Brule or Potulny had to be protected. You didn’t understand the entire context of my post. You don’t gratuituously waive a role player who you signed as a free agent. You waive them, only when there is a necessity to do so. If the necessity is not there, then it is a classless thing to do.

And you have mischaracterized what the Patriots do. The Patriots are “cheapskates”. To play for the Patriots you have to play at a discount to market value or you get cut. The Patriots would never consider a trade for Spezza or Lecavalier, with their contracts. Belichek is a firm believer that winning requires players who outplay their contracts. He places rough monetary values to each position, and leaves cap room for “exceptions”, like when he had to franchise Assante Samuel, and when he will have to franchise Matt Cassel in February. Success means that the Patriots have been able to get free agents like Odaleous Thomas at a discount, sort of like the Red Wings and Hossa.

Lawyer Milloy was still a good player when he was cut, but the last years of his contract were at a rate that Belichek consdered too high for the position, so he cut him. A side note. Dillon asked to be released.

31. Kris says:

We’ll lose this game, become depressed, then win 3 in a row, become hopeful, and lose a few more to end up right here again.

I know this is a hockey blog, but the following quote from Nietzsche about the “eternal recurrence” might provide some comfort:

“What, if some day or night a demon were to steal after you into your loneliest loneliness and say to you: ‘This life as you now live it and have lived it, you will have to live once more and innumerable times more’ … Would you not throw yourself down and gnash your teeth and curse the demon who spoke thus? Or have you once experienced a tremendous moment when you would have answered him: ‘You are a god and never have I heard anything more divine.’ [The Gay Science, §341]

32. Schitzo says:

What, if some day or night a demon were to steal after you into your loneliest loneliness and say to you…

We’re still talking about Grebs?

Fatty-Hobbit-Train…If you have them out with Gargoylepuck and Slick

I assume 27-89-26

Backend 37-44 Slick=44?

Correct?

Playing Poocoffny as the second unit with the 77-44 tandem on the backend

Poocoffny= 78,10,21? If I'm right on 21, I would also like to see 13 and 67 in that spot too until one is clearly better than the others.

Do you have 44 on both 1&2? 71 is the best passer we have (followed closely by 37, damn Loweballini better sign him) 71 should be out there somewhere.

34. Bruce says:

71 = Slick.

I think.

35. PDO says:

… just win.

36. shepso says:

@Kris. Wow, I thought only myself, BCB and the rest of the “Bringing Back the Glory” team would’ve busted out something from Nietzsche in relation to hockey. Well played. But if we take that line of thought to its logical end (all jokes about Grebs on acid aside, which are really great btw), we’re going to end up on a path towards Nihilism, which is really sad, yet strangely accurate, especially given LT’s “lets jump on the Columbus train if we keep sucking” position. As a fan base, we want so desperately to believe in something here, yet we consistently end up with nothing in the end.

As far as the PP combos go, I don’t get the crazy nicknames (even more bizarre then the ones we’ve used at BBTG) or Poltuny’s presence ahead of say, Cogs, who actually scores goals at the NHL level, but keeping 26-89 together with the fridge (27) providing the screen seems like a good call to me. At least that way we have a right-sticked player working the wall, even if he is hobbit sized. Need a win tonight, and to keep our formerly beloved mullet off the scoresheet…Go Oil

37. DBO says:

I agree about the use of gagner on the PP with Cole. Not sure if anyone would know, but what kind of PP time did Brule and Pots get in the A? And where in that formation did they play? i assume Schremp was the hemsky on the PP, with Pots and brule. With the way he slides into the middle on his shifts it looks like potulny was the guy in front, with him sliding into the slot for quick one timers from a pass behind the red line. At this point running Pou out ther is useless. Since his injury he has not been the same. Might as well accept he’ll never be an offensive player on this team.
    1st unit: Gagner – Horcoff – Cole
    (gagner half boards, Cole in front, Horcoff roaming)
    2nd unit: Cogliano – Penner – Brule
    (Cog half boards, Penner in front, Brule roaming)
    Why not try it. At this point we can’t get worse.

38. hunter1909 says:

“You get paid for what your about to do not what you have done.”

This is the truth. But it still doesn’t necessarily make me a Bhuddist.

“Success means that the Patriots have been able to get free agents like Odaleous Thomas at a discount, sort of like the Red Wings and Hossa.” Here’s the first rule of (successful) business; UNDERPAY BY JUST A LITTLE.

Employees are happy complaining about the organisation, while the organisation makes it up in other, little ways, like making sure the player’s wives get free hairdressing at some salon, or whatever. People are a lot less mercenary than they want you to believe.

In short: only suckers pay retail. Like Kevin Lowe, lol.

39. Buddha7305 says:

Thanks for the help and not ripping me apart so much. I have bleed copper and blue since 79′, was a #10 (Jaroslav PouZAAAAAR! very first hockey card signed) fan before Horcoff was #10. Didn’t realize how good I had it 80′s in Edmonton till my parents moved us away to Ontario :(

To godot10
    Wasn’t trying to pick on you for your comment but more showing how the Oilers mentality of Loyalty I think is no longer the key. The Oilers back in Sathers time had very little Loyalty though pcuk was a cheapskate and that had something to do with it.

Didn’t realize Dillon asked out, but there are other instances of the Patriots being Frugal. That is what I want in my Oilers, Pay the people that deserve it. The rest let walk. I for one was not so disappointed with them letting Glencross walk away. They had a price they thought a 4th liner should be making and stuck to it. They should be doing this for every position. The Patriots have held to there beliefs and it has worked out pretty well for them. Has it bit the Oilers in the butt by the looks of it yes. But that is the Oilers depth problems. Someone on the farm should have been able to step up and do that 6-10 min’s a night in a banger role (Brule???) In a cap world being loyal is going to kill a franchise and the Oilers have already been too loyal to the lesser lights.

My thoughts on goaltending
    I fully believe that Garon will not sign here next year with how he has been treated so, why waste the roster spot on him when we could be using that time for JDD. If we had a remote chance of signing him then don’t get rid of him. I think we can safely say that will not be happening thanks to his performance and the probable mancrush he has for Mr. Peeters (who btw had one of the worst hockey cards ever with just the picture of his face in his mask).

The way to operate going forward is to find your core which the Oilers have, (Hemmer, Cogs, Horcoff, Vish, Souray, Gilbert.) pay them for the hopeful performance to come. Then fill in the rest with lower cost talent. This is what succesful franchises do like the Patriots.

To the more knowledgeable people on the site, thanks for your input, you definatly have deep knowledge of numbers that help me understand the game better.

Sorry for the long comment.

40. Traktor says:

“I think this team can contend for the division.” – Craig MacTavish

“This is a result-oriented business.” – Craig MacTavish

“I’m not in the business to make friends.” – Kevin Lowe

It makes me feel good to know that Kevin isn’t in the business to make friends.

41. hunter1909 says:

Buddha7305 – You’re bloody well right the Oilers need to take a leaf out of their own playbook, and drop the slackers asap, or better yet, trade them away ala Blair MacDonald.

Moreau back the the Hawks would be a dream come true.

Kevin Lowe and Craig MacTavish back to the Rangers, even better.

42. Traktor says:

I know anything I say regarding Horcoff is going to be brushed aside but I’ll say it anyway.

All he does on the PP is waste time. Horcoff and Cole looked like a couple plumbers on the PP last game. Zero creativity. Watching him turn back and forth 5 times shielding the puck and then passing it to Cole where he does the exact same thing is infuriating. Horcoff in no way should be on on the top PP unit without his better half setting him up with open nets.

Cogliano is the most opportunistic player on the team. Why the hell isn’t he on the 1st unit? The kid knows where the puck is going to be like Lucky Luc and we have an idiot behind the bench who spends all his time in the garage fixing his Ford Focus so he cant see that he has a diamond mine in his backyard.

And get Moreau off Cogliano’s wing already. On more than 1 occasion last game Cogliano created a turnover and Moreau basically stole the puck off of Cogs stick and then went on to lose the puck. What a waste of talent.

Speaking of the Patriots.. MacTavish is the type of coach that would’ve went back to his trusty old vet Drew Bledsoe.

43. Unleaded says:

Most of you get what I am trying to say about PP combos. Sorry if the names are opaque, I just felt that some of the players deserve better nicknames, and that the best way to get them is to start using them. You know… lead by example. So I pulled some from the posts that i like the most.

Hobbit = Samwise = Sam Gagner
    Train = Cole-train = Erik Cole
    Fatty = Fat Guy reference from NES = Dustin Penner (can’t explain better than that – sorry)
    Gargoylepuck = Grebs on Acid = Denis Grebeshkov
    Slick = Smooth with the puck = Lubomir Visnovski
    Rocketskates = Holy shit can he fly = Andrew Cogliano

With some guys with great names like Chopper, Huggy-Bear and Sugartits… I just think we could give them all great nicknames.

Besides, if nothing else, it gives me something to do that may help make other people laugh, which is a good thing. With this team, if you aren’t laughing , you’re crying.

So, any suggestions on nicks for the rest of them?

44. Schitzo says:

Agreed. There was one epic battle between Penner and Zidlicky in front of the net, and Cole and Horcoff are skating circles with the puck.

It’s the only time I’ll say it all season, but in that situation put it back to the point and blast away!

//Garon was brought in to be a 1b type goalie, when you don’t perform to that rate (Save % below .900, GAA above 3) time to fish and cut bait. If Rollie is traded (which I hope he is, more assets) We have JDD who has performed OK, plus the market is so week for goalies we could pick up a servicable back up on the cheap (7th rd or sign a KHL/europe guy etc etc)//

You can’t pick up a goaltender after the trade deadline if Roloson is traded at the deadline.

46. Traktor says:

I think Vaseline is a better name for Lubomir Visnovski.

47. Buddha7305 says:

godot10 said…

I see your point on that but tbh a good GM would already have that option ready to send a meaningless pick or prospect to the Ottawa Senators for Gerber, Sanford from Vancouver, or you take what ever Goalie has the least amount of term left from the Wings when you trade Rollie there as a throw in.

Do Garon a favour for next year, waive him, send him to the minor’s let hem play every 3rd game for springfield so he can be useful. If he gets his game back tell him you will recall him exposing him to waivers, if he gets picked up you spend less cash, if he doesn’t get grabbed even better then you don’t need to send that uselss prospect away for a goalie rental.

48. Kris says:

I think we should call Staios “Count Chocula” for no reason whatsoever except that the guy is so nondescript there’s no fun nickname that suits him.

49. Kris says:

Souray-Gilbert
    Lubo-Smid
    Grebs-Chocula

See, it works.

50. relic says:

tough to argue with that Traktor but basically what your saying is the second PP unit is better than the first without Hemsky and the results seem to support that (just from memory and without my checking the actual numbers that is). I’d put 26 with 89 and 13 on one unit and audition guys to go with 10 and 27. really though why can vis or grebs not work the half boards if we don’t have another forward to do it.

51. Traktor says:

Relic: I like Penner on the top unit. I would play Cogliano, Gagner, Penner for a full minute and 40 seconds and then throw Horcoff, Cole and Pouliot out to keep momentum going with a hard shift against tired D.

52. Unleaded says:

@Tractor

The major problem with that is that Hobbit and Rocketskates get worked along the boards. They don’t have the strength for it yet. If you want to get them doing it to develop the strength, and learn by doing, then I can see the value in it, but suggesting that they will keep the puck in deep for 1:40 and and have 10-21-26 come out after to work the tired D is pure fantasy.

53. Unleaded says:

Honestly Kris, I might start calling Steve Staois Barney. Why? Watch Ocean’s Eleven. Or ask Blackdog – he’s something of a movie buff.

54. Jonathan says:

Horcoff’s PP PTS/60 from the past two seasons:
    2008-09: 3.69 PTS/60
    2007-08: 4.00 PTS.60

Let’s compare that to other centres who managed around 4 minutes a game on the PP last season:

Kopitar: 5.87

Brind’Amour: 3.75
    Mueller: 3.61
    McDonald: 3.61
    Comrie: 3.56
    Arnott: 3.46
    Modano: 3.09

Horcoff’s 4.00 ranks towards the bottom half of the middle here, but it’s hurt by the fact that he plays for a poor powerplay team; on a team with better personnel/strategy, he’d probably be a little bit higher.

Even so, this list excludes a bunch of players with massive PP icetime (incl. Crosby and Malkin), so maybe a better way would be to see how many teams that Horcoff would be among the top three forwards in PTS/60. Last season, there were 11.

Basically, I don’t think there’s a case to be made for Shawn Horcoff on the first unit of an upper-echelon powerplay. A league-average powerplay, sure, but not an upper-echelon one.

I think this team has bigger problems than a slightly-below par powerplay forward, but if they were contenders they’d be well-advised to pick up an upgrade at the deadline.

55. Dennis says:

In honour of Glenn Anderson Day, I suggest everyone get drunk and have a bi-sexual experience; perhaps father a child and bail on them;)

I really can’t believe anyone thought we were really close to winning last night. Sure, we had some PP opps but we didn’t get any chances from those opps and it didn’t look like we were close to scoring. There were some times we were in good position down low but the Wild were in even Better position and the shots didn’t even get directed Towards the net, let alone On the net.

In the third period with the Oilers trailing by one goal, the Wild put up the first four chances, the Oilers got one and then the Wild scored to make it 3-1 and it was over.

There’s a reason why envy’s one of the deadly sins and there’s no worse time to be following Team Mediocre than when the team down the road’s making some real time.

56. Traktor says:

Jonathan:

Thanks for the numbers. One thing I’ll give Horcoff is he knows Hemsky’s game. Horcoff isn’t an efficient scorer at all but he’s definitely extracting 99.9% of his talent that he does have. He milks Hesmky to the last drop and that’s an underrated skill. There’s lots of guys with more talent than Horcoff but many of them just don’t know how to think the game. Horcoff definitly knows Hemsky’s game.

But without 83 Horcoff looks like a blind man without his walking dog.

57. Bruce says:

That’s an excellent description of last night’s affair, Dennis, which maybe 5-1 is a little bit deceiving and maybe it isn’t. For sure the better team won, and it wasn’t that close.

I see you have the scoring opps at just 12-11 Minny at EV, but that’s where QualOpp raises its head and asks: “I don’t remember the Oilers having any 2-on-0 breakaways, do you?” The Wild’s domination on special teams is pretty apparent, 8 scoring chances to 1, yowser! The Wild’s PK was outstanding last night; I hope our guys took notes. Now to start applying some of these stern lessons we’ve been “learning” of late.

I thought it was a somewhat positive sign that the team showed some fight, especially in the third, but at the same time we got outchanced 11-2 and accused by Cal Clusterfuck of not even trying to actually win the game. If the cost of passion is a loss of focus, well, there’s no winning either end of that equation IMHO. Gotta have both.

58. Unleaded says:

Well put. I don’t think that you can talk about this team right now as anything other than a work in progress. So with that in mind, showing some passion is a good thing, because really… there hasn’t been a lot of it seen yet this year. Going out there are taking some names is a good step at that point in the game. I think that even if we did lose focus when that passion was expressed late in the game, it is something that teams need to find a way to express to the other teams. There’s no better way to let another team know you’re pissed you’re losing than to go play some physical hockey (assuming you can’t score at will). Hopefully, the team can learn from that, and get to the point where they are passionate about playing a detail-oriented game.

Holy crap… I think I just Channeled MacT…

I feel so dirty…

59. Bruce says:

But without 83 Horcoff looks like a blind man without his walking dog.

Traktor: That’s a two way street. Last year Shawn Horcoff went down in the fucking goddam All Star Game.

Hemsky:
    Pre ASG : +4
    Post ASG: -13

… playing with a centre who couldn’t think with him.

That is fair commentary, Traktor, and on this point I am in 100.0% agreement. That is indeed a very underrated skill, which is why Horcoff is where he is, on the #1 line. Horc is a thinking man’s player, which is why you and I are such big fans of him, right?

60. Lord Bob says:

Belatedly, thanks for that Brown video, HBomb.

I forgot Brown was ever on a line with MacTavish. Of course, the next shift MacTavish was out with Petr Klima and Bernie Nicholls, and then he was out on the powerplay, and then he was in the press box for two games, and then he was the first pairing defenseman for some reason, but still.

61. Traktor says:

Bruce:

Hemsky looks better with Horcoff than he does with a concussed Stoll or 4th line Reasoner. No argument there.

62. hunter1909 says:

My favourite Horcoff move is the way rushes in at full speed over the blue line, sees the opposition, then kind of slides over to the side before taking a pointless shot.

Speaking of taking pointless shots: Moreau took one last night that looked so lame you would think he has a ‘shots’ taken clause in his massively overpaid contract.

PS: Funny how people are only starting to understand the reality that is the Oilers cap situation. Call me a freak, but the second the cap was implemented I understood that with only so much money to spend, it wasn’t a good idea to pay twice as much for players than they were worth. But hey, I always was a whiz in grade 6 arithmetic class.

63. boopronger says:

Oilers will get a point tonight – just enough for the average fan to say “hey maybe they can do this”.
    3-2 oiler loss in SO/OT

64. Traktor says:

Lowe was interviewed by Tencer today

"“Heck, we’ve been in this situation for 6 or 8 years but I’ve never been more confident that the team is going to make the playoffs."

65. Coach pb9617 says:

3-2 oiler loss in SO/OT

Do that and beat Columbus and LT can’t talk about Columbus.

66. Dennis says:

Hunter: No doubt, it’s just this season that I began to understand the impact of certain contracts!

Bruce: Over the break I’ll consider taking advantage of the Note section that Vic provided for me and in turn give some kind of a description of where a chance happened. Granted, I won’t do it for all the shots but maybe just indicate if something was an odd man rush or came from the slot or something like that.

67. hunter1909 says:

Lowe’s confidence terrifies me.

68. hunter1909 says:

Dennis: Yeah, I understand.

I’ve got the kind of a mind that tends to work everything out until there is a conclusion. With a cap, every cent spent is one less to spend later.

As soon as Lowe started throwing money at Staios, Pisani, and Moreau, I was very worried. By the time Lowe outdid himself by Penner, Gilbert and Horcoff, I pretty well knew this team was going to be totally, completely, and abso-lute-ly f.u.c.k.e.d.

Example: What’s the use of yapping about Hemsky’s (good) contract, when Lowe has pissed away many times as much money on other(bad to very bad) ones?

The only hope there was, Katz swallowing these bad contracts with buyouts, but now he can cry recession, and we might as well all be back in 1999.

//The difference is this: you could play Horcoff with almost any other winger in the NHL and he wouldn’t look much better than he does with Hemsky. 83 on the other hand would is only scratching the surface with Horcoff.//

Most so-called elite centres are, like Hemsky, puck hogs, and would get lost out there playing with Hemsky, because they are used to having the puck. And if the “elite” centre were hogging the puck, Hemsky would get lost out there. Horcoff can play well without the puck, which is why Horcoff plays so well with Hemsky, and vice versa.

70. Uncle Joe says:

Hunter1909: Your reference to Blair MacDonald stirred up some vague memories deeply buried in the mists of a troubled unconscious: (LT will correct me if I’m wrong…about the memory not the troubled uc).
    This goes back to the days before I was an Oiler fan. I seem to recall having heard the still unsurpassed coach put-down of a player ever uttered. I believe it was Slats’ response to reporters questioning the wisdom of letting a 40 goal scorer walk without a serious attempt to re-sign him…(BM having scored 40 playing on a line with Gretzky the year before). Slats with the look of withering contempt that he was the master of: ” A fire hydrant could score 40 goals playing with Gretzky”. Makes MacT’s savinging of 27 seem like damning with faint praise.

71. quain says:

I wish, when Edmonton fails to attain LT’s requirements, that he would dedicate the blog to once and for all figuring out why exactly Shawn Horcoff is the biggest piece of trash in all the NHL. I feel that with two hundred days and a blue ribbon panel we could figure out why anyone thinks the guy can play hockey, why we haven’t traded him for Jason Spezza, and why he lost the room.

And truly, then, the healing can begin and we can get back to doing what we do best: DYNASTY.

72. Jonathan says:

Depends, I think – there aren’t that many centres in the NHL that offer better two-way play for Hemsky than Horcoff does.

If, on the other hand, we’re worried only about offense, Hemsky would be much better served as Ryan Getzlaf’s RW in Anaheim.

Either way, it would be nice if he’d get used for the entire powerplay.

73. Bruce says:

Moreau has a Brad Richards clause? That would explain a lot.

Whoever made the comment way up top about Moreau basically stealing the puck off a teammate has got it right. Ethan will skate right by the guy with the puck and take it up himself, and attempt the tried-and-true (read: “overtried-and-untrue”) one man rush, ending in a pointless shot from a bad angle or a blocked shot or a turnover in the slot or a late centring pass to nobody in particular and the puck moving in the other direction in a hurry. Punch Imlach used to derisively call them (Eddie) “Shack rushes”. Happens 5 times a game, it seems. That’s Ethan, trying to lead by example, but to call it counterproductive would be an understatement. What the hell is a “team player” doing trying to do everything by himself?

74. Dennis says:

18 has to be one of the most brainless players in recent memory. It was all well and good when he was playing tough min with Marchant-Grier but he’s basically been a man without a country for a long time now.

75. hunter1909 says:

“A fire hydrant could score 40 goals playing with Gretzky” Slats

“One day Shawn Horcoff will score 40 goals for this team – just as soon as we figure out a way to connect a firehose to his CENSORED.” Lowe

I lied about the second quote, btw.

76. Traktor says:

Moreau is the type of guy that could go years without wearing waring deodorant and honestly wonder where the hell the smell is coming from.

77. hunter1909 says:

‘What the hell is a “team player” doing trying to do everything by himself?’ Bruce

Bruce, come on. Ethan might be arrogant, but he’s never struck me as having an IQ near, let alone over 100.

Geez, the way Oiler fans ride the players, no wonder no one wants to play for Kevin Lowe or Craig MacTavish.

Ethan Moreau belongs in Toronto, where he can enthrall a new generation of fans with those Shack style rushes.

78. Lord Bob says:

Whoa, Troy Bodie in action tonight as the Ducks take on the Penguins.

Whoa is a serious understatement. I saw the guy when he was in the ECHL, and I saw him really, really bad – I thought that he was basically a poor man’s Geoff Paukovich. This is a guy who was a Coke machine in the WHL.

79. HBomb says:

It is Bodie’s first career game tonight, for the record. I’ll raise a glass to another Oiler draft pick making the show, even if it’s with Anaheim.

Playing even one game in the NHL is more than 99.9% of guys who have played the game can say, Coke machine or not.

80. docweb says:

Calgary is obviously pulling away with the NW…any coincidence that they are the only team in the NW without one of their star players hurt for a significant amount of time??

Hockey Gods do not forsake us.

81. HBomb says:

And what would constitute a poor man’s Jeff Paukovich anyways? A cloth soaked with chloroform as opposed to a Cosmpolitan laced with rohypnol?

82. Lord Bob says:

Oh, I’m not knocking Bodie’s effort. Anybody with his skill set who’s in the show has earned my respect. I’m just saying, I’ve got no idea how he did it with what he had in the toolbox. :P

83. Kris says:

I think we need something like the Manhattan Project for this. The brightest minds alive, sequestered in a bunker for a couple of years. Where to start… Horcoff’s Corsi= (Hemsky’s GA/60-GF/60)x 1/Qual Comp. + # of Oil Wins

84. Loxy says:

In a story about fighting…

Is that Smid on the main page of TSN?

85. slipper says:

I only watched the first half of last night’s game, but I thought they missed two gaping nets, including the play (maybe Brodziak?) before Minnesota’s 2-1.

I think it could have been 3-1 Oil entering the first intermission. Of course there was also the powerplay opp’s, which I found funny considering all the production hoopla about the Wild not taking many penalties. The Oilers of course did sweet eff all with those early powerplays, but I thought at even strenght they were winning with chances.

Missed the 3rd frame where it seems they completely disintegrated. Either way, St.Louis handed the Avs their asses last night, so we have two teams playing the seocnd of back-to-backs where they both allowed 5 goals against.

Fun times.

86. Bruce says:

Buddha: For your reading pleasure. I too was a huge Pouzar fan. We’ve had a good run of #10 here, Pouzar, Tikkanen, Horcoff. Only those of us long in the tooth and longer in the memory can remember the likes of Tom Gilmore and Ron Areshenkoff.

That is harsh. Not only were the Leafs bad, there’s no getting away from them in the COTU. At least until playoff time, that is, when nature culls the elderly, the infirm, the weak and the Leafs, not necessarily in that order.

87. Bruce says:

Only a minute* to go in the Raptors game. Provided they don’t go to OT, we might get to see some of the first period.

88. Bruce says:

* – That would be an “NBA minute”

89. Bruce says:

I can’t watch basketball because of that.

90. Bruce says:

Finally, it’s over. Game on.

91. Coach pb9617 says:

Staios is going to get Smid killed with that shit. Every forward in the league knows he’s going around the boards with it and they just line Smid up.

92. Coach pb9617 says:

Sam. Shoot. Big dumb American is bowling his way to the net.

93. Bruce says:

Yeah, Coach, sometimes a rebound is the most effective pass there is. Sam knows that too (unlike Hemsky), but he got way too cute there.

94. Scott says:

um… what? Pouliot showing Moreau how to not separate a shoulder?

95. danny says:

That Reddox shot wouldnt have been deflected if MacT didnt lose the room.

Its nice to play a team thats as chaotic as us.

Isn’t it funny how we pretty much know 99.99% that Colorado are a 8th place team at best… but somehow that reality escapes us every now and then while cheering for this looneybin club

96. Coach pb9617 says:

Brule has game. I really hope they salvage that kid.

97. Bruce says:

Fuck me, our “first” line looked like their sticks were made of anti-matter for a whole minute there. Fortunately the 21-89-26 unit is really bringing it so far.

98. Coach pb9617 says:

um… what? Pouliot showing Moreau how to not separate a shoulder?

Look captain! Everyone stands up on this team except you, ya dirty taint.

99. Bruce says:

Anybody else on Shaw cable and not getting HD? A guy gets spoiled on that after a while.

100. danny says:

If Moreau really has been hard on the young guys, does anyone think it will take long for 44 to call him out in the room or practice considering his frequent lack of effort/intelligence?

A 44 vs 18 tilt in practice could be a rallying point for this team to come together no? :D

Ok ok i just want to see some life from this team i know.

101. Scott says:

Potulny sure does have the instincts of a shooter. The puck hits his stick just above the circle and he’s immediately thinking shot. It’s actually quite refreshing.

102. danny says:

Potulnys gotta bury that chance where they keep the peanut butter.

103. Coach pb9617 says:

Penner. Come on bud, you can’t get thrown off of Wolski. Sheeeesh.

104. danny says:

according to TSNs graphic… EDM has had 11 back-to-back games thus far. Colorado with 5.

105. Coach pb9617 says:

Tyler Arnason.

Again.

Nice rebound Garon, you assburglar.

106. uni says:

I guess Tyler Anarson is back to being an Oiler killer.

Le sigh.

107. danny says:

Hahahaha

Arnasons first in 34 games?

Against the oil?

Hattrick to follow.

108. danny says:

That was a beauty shift by Potulny there. Created a chance on the rush, and textbook point coverage back the other end. Shut down the lane and let his team regroup.

I like this guy a lot.

Glibert. Nice.

109. oilerdago says:

Way to go Gilbert!

110. Coach pb9617 says:

Gibby had some bread. Needed peanut butter.

111. Scott says:

That’s a pretty ridiculous shot. Seriously, Tom Gilbert, that was amazing.

P.S. Thanks Tommy Salo.

112. oilerdago says:

As guys come back off the injured list Potulny is going to make things very tough on someone. Kid is a player.

113. Mike says:

Mike’s 3 last minute observations, coming atcha, no charge.

1) Gagner, that was a bush league deke attempt on the left wing boards on the PP. That might play in major junior, not up here.

2) How is that not a fucking elbowing call on Salei vs Cole? You know what, I haven’t even seen a replay, I’m just going with my first rage-fuelled reaction.

3) Nice patience Gilbert!

…and I’m spent.

114. Loxy says:

I’m watching this one kids…

Goilers.

115. Bruce says:

How is that not a fucking interference penalty? Salei ran Cole 5 feet from the puck. And elbowed him.

116. Dennis says:

1st period chances: 15-9 Edm; 14-9 EV and 1-0 ST.

Notes:

21-89-26 is my new favourite line because these guys understand the importance of shooting from the fucking slot. Just what how this troika works; everything has to do with the slot. And maybe I just needed a reminder of how goals are scored but it’s the slot, screens and rebounds. The Oilers had more open looks in this game’s first 10 minutes than they had all last night.

All 78 needs is a goal to complete the Howe hat-trick;) Seriously, though, the fight with Liles was weak but it’s about time someone got back at home for trying to injure 94 back in ’07.

Right;)?

Oilers played great except for that one worrisome shift plus the shitty goal Garon allowed. I’m not sure if it’s chicken or egg but MacT cut the chord on Garon after he got light up in Pit and it’s been over since that.

117. Dennis says:

More notes:

44/77 a combined 18/4 in chances for/against, the new 89 line a combined 22/4 and the 10 line taking it up the can.

Also, 18 is bleeding goals against and is most likely done.

118. Coach pb9617 says:

Dennis, this mountain network out of Colorado has the chances Edmonton 6 Colorado 2

119. danny says:

Dennis: we’re about the same age, so im guessing you probably watched an oilers game on the screen at the Majestic downstairs enjoying the .75 dollar beers no?

Good times.

120. Coach pb9617 says:

Hm. Souray doesn’t take the body on Smyth there. Odd.

Cogliano should stop shooting right at the defenders. That pretty annoying. I guess when the alternative is passing to Moreau, I’d shoot at the defender’s shins too.

Moreau can’t clear, gets in Cogs’ way, skates like Schremp….

121. Mike says:

So Horcoff with Struds and Poo?

Unforgiveable unless there’s been an injury I missed necessitating us double shifting Horc…

122. oilerdago says:

Boys have forgotten how to drive the net and shoot the puck this period. Too many cutesy drop passes.

123. Coach pb9617 says:

What the fuck was that?

Jesus that was bad by about four guys.

124. Scott says:

That’s pretty weak sauce from Garon.

125. Coach pb9617 says:

Smid pinches and misses then stops skating on the way back. Staios gets beat badly on the cover, Brodziak gets beat worse on the backcheck and Garon shows why he’s the journeyman.

Good effort fellas.

126. danny says:

when the scouting report is as well known on you as a goaltender, as it is on Garon, you might as well change your name to Legacy and forget about any real success through the rest of your career.

127. oilerdago says:

I’ll take the penalty but on that last shift the Oilers stopped moving their feet.

Crappy period.

128. mc79hockey says:

Fucking Smyth. I’m going to be honest and admit that I want him to get #300 tonight in a 4-3 Avs loss in regulation. Stick it to Vish Throttler Smytty.

BTW, is Penner dressed? (Serious question, I haven’t heard his name.) Of all the games, you’d think he’d show up for these ones.

129. quain says:

When was the last time this team converted successfully on a breakaway or a 2 on 2?

A couple of nights ago when Brule buried one that has everyone ignoring the fact that he has basically been Ethan Moreau otherwise.

130. Scott says:

If it really is a serious question MC, Penner is playing. He’s done some okay work backchecking at times, but I haven’t noticed him at all in the offensive zone.

131. Dennis says:

First a note on chances and then one to Danny:)

Chances: 10-5 Avs; 5-3 EV; 5-2 ST

Notes: The Oilers are a very immature team and can lose themselves quite easily. Everything’s going along well but then the Oilers go on the PK early in the second period and give up four chances and it’s off to the rodeo. Before Garon made that SH save on 94 I texted Riv and told him I thought we’d lose because Garon didn’t have a big save in him. And perhaps that was his only one because I no longer trust him.

Danny: I never knew you were from NL! Or did you just go to school here? What I remember about the Majestic is probably circa ’94-96. I know it was closed when I first moved to town and then it reopened shortly after and the deal was they wouldn’t open the upstairs portion until the bottom part reached a certain capacity – at the time the beer was just one dollar and there were lots of drunk people and almost as many fights. I remember one night in particular where a super cute girl named Leslie was drunk and I was charming and fuck I wish I was 20 again;)

132. oilerdago says:

Scott, I agree. Penner has been doing a good job back checking. If you’re not contributing any offense, at least don’t get beat the other way.

But they really need to come out and play these next 20 minutes. A win would be nice.

Riley Nash with 1G-2A for Cornell tonight. He’s now 6-8-14 in 16gp this season (36gp, 12-20-32 last year).

134. Dennis says:

LT: So, his GPG is up but his PPG isn’t really there and all things considered close to equal – qual of linemates etc – we should be seeing his counting stats take a jump, no?

To all: the 5/24 tandem having another rough night again by the scoring chance metric. Not sure if opposing coaches are running at them but bad things are happening when they’re on the ice.

Dennis: Yeah, you’d like to see that. One thing we need to keep in mind is that Cornell really hasn’t played much and just now get into a groove. He had a slower start one year ago too.

136. oilerdago says:

Is it me or are they double shifting Horcoff?

137. Bruce says:

Man that was a weak GA, poor play all the way around but Garon lost his net it looked like. Only way you should score from there is with the goalie moving on a one-timer.

Dennis: Not sure if the opposing coaches are running at them but the opposing wingers sure are. Smid has been absolutely rocked about twice a game recently.

138. Scott says:

Every once in a while I see #21 and think of Smith. Not that he’s anything great right now, but I miss Gator.

139. Coach pb9617 says:

Oh suck a dick Gagner.

140. Coach pb9617 says:

Staios has one exit. Around to Smid. He’s getting him killed.

141. oilerdago says:

This is not the 3rd period I was hoping for. Two times in a row they caught the D on a change and now another penalty.

142. Coach pb9617 says:

They’re triple shifting Horcoff. He’s going to need fluids, organs and blood after this.

143. oilerdago says:

CLEAR THE FREAKING PUCK SOMEONE!

144. Bruce says:

Staios has one exit. Around to Smid. He’s getting him killed.

Into Smid’s feet, as often as not.

145. Scott says:

Bit of a goofy call, but still a pretty stupid thing to do by Smytty.

If that was Ethan, he’d be hung on a tree.

146. oilerdago says:

I like that Reddox. Tough little bugger getting flattened but comes back and draws the penalty.

This is kind of funny, because I swear to God not long ago Smid was getting ripped for screwing up Staios with panic passes.

Smid is the most improved player on the roster this year, I have no doubt of it. But I’m impatient to see him move up the depth chart because payday is soon.

148. Bruce says:

All of Souray, Visnovsky, and Horcoff look tired tonight. With good reason for Horc particular who has already played 22 of the first 52 minutes.

149. Scott says:

LT, I think Smid’s payday will be similar to Greene’s, i.e. 1.25 over two or similar. He certainly doesn’t have any numbers to point to.

150. oilerdago says:

Ok, I’m corrected – it was Cogs drawing the penalty. Still, a nice play all around.

151. oilerdago says:

Horcoff!

152. Scott says:

Holy hell. Andrew Raycroft, thy name is terrible.

153. Coach pb9617 says:

Horcoff dug that puck back to Gargoyle and scored the goal. If Horcoff didn’t suck, they would have scored there. Oh.

154. Bruce says:

Wow, what a pass. That’s 20 points for Grebs, not bad for a fourth defender.

155. uni says:

I don’t believe the turnaround on Smid. I think AsiaOil was the most vocal of only a few that saw this coming at all. Dude called it, this season was going to be his emergence as a useful D.

156. oilerdago says:

No shifts at all this period for Struds or Brule (so far). Horcoff is being triple shifted and Cole’s getting the minutes too.

If they don’t run out of gas it will be a miracle.

157. danny says:

Dennis: I’m the ol’ dynastydays from HF. A little older. Much more mellow. Completely done with HF, and completely discontent with K Lowe.

’94 was my 1st year in town as well… (from hr Breton) man those were pretty crazy times. 7PM lineup to start drinking.

But yeah drinking downstairs waiting for upstairs to open was standard hehe. I always remember a night EDM reallllly needed a win to keep their playoff hopes alive. They played the jets on a friday and I was glued to the screen downstairs. we won.

Dude i remember Leslie…

haha that was a joke for the mainlanders ;)

158. Scott says:

Smid has certainly improved to at least serviceable, but it’s not like he’s really doing anything special. He’s a defensive d-man in the bottom pairing that’s getting somewhat outchanced. It says more about where he’s coming from than where he is now that this is considered solid improvement.

159. quain says:

I’ve got all day for Liam Reddox.

160. Scott says:

Pretty strange pass there from Gagner. Dude’s in the high slot. He’s been looking pass first all night tonight. A low shot there would have been awfully nice with an Oiler on either side for a rebound.

161. Bruce says:

I guess borderline icing calls only go one way.

162. Bank Shot says:

When’s the last time the Oilers scored on an odd man rush?

163. Bruce says:

I don’t even want to think what I’m thinking, let alone say it.

164. oilerdago says:

Don’t do it Bruce.

165. Coach pb9617 says:

As long as his numbers are being hauled down by Staios, he ain’t getting paid.

He’s got a job for a long time.

Pshaw. Bruce and I tried, but LT brought in his hate propaganda machine and shut us down.

I’ve got all day for Liam Reddox.

Is that like walking a mile for a camel?

166. Scott says:

Now you’d think that MacT would know the scoring chance info, but then he puts out Staios with Souray who aren’t even playing together tonight for the final draw. Strange choice.

167. Bruce says:

Pit-a-pat-a-pit-a-pat …

How many weak clearing attempts can you possibly make in the last 5 minutes? Seemed like twenty.

Huge game from Garon, who was terrific battling traffic.

168. quain says:

Your final tally? 26.06 of ice time, seven shots and a goal for Shawn Horcoff.

MacT should carry him to the plane.

169. Dennis says:

This might get lost later on but I meant to mention that 21 had a really good night in Minny clearing the puck when the disc came around to his side of the wall. That’s just a little thing but it’s noticeable when a newbie does it successfully as many times as he did. His skating needs work and that has to be the only thing that’s kept him out of the league. Traditionally we don’t know know how he rolls on the PP – though he must be quite good at it – but an offense first fellow’s gonna have a tough time sticking around with the Oil considering all those jobs are filled; even if we don’t score a lot of goals;)

85′s drowning chances-wise in a role he shouldn’t be in but if the kid could mesh with 51 and he could also kill penalties than I’d be ready to mixtape the fellow:D

5′s going through a rough stretch now and if that plays out for much longer than I’m back wondering how much we pay him and if we just don’t cut him loose and keep 37 and pay him the extra 1.25 mill.

The overall scoring chance summary is soon to be posted at Ty’s site. I’ll jump back with a link when it’s up.

170. oilerdago says:

quain – MacT should pack Horcoff’s bags, unpack them and iron his shirts when he’s done.

171. Dennis says:

Danny: is it just me or have there Always been a lot of hot women from Hr.Breton? It strikes me as one of those small places that somehow turns out a lot of skin.

I used to hitchhike to St.Bernards when I was in HS and there seemed to be a lot of kinship between St.B and HB and I was impressed.

172. Coach pb9617 says:

Your final tally? 26.06 of ice time, seven shots and a goal for Shawn Horcoff.

MacT should carry him to the plane.

Someone get him some ice and a couple of dancing girls.

173. Coach pb9617 says:

Horcoff: 9 for 19
    Brodziak: 5 for 14
    Cogliano: 3 for 8
    Gagner: 6 for 7

Whaaaaaaaaaaa

174. Dennis says:

Oilers outchanced 20-11 over the last 40 minutes but the biggest culprit was the PK. 11 of Col’s last 20 chances came with the Oilers killing penalties and Garon made some great stops in those occasions but as we’ve seen ALL year, you won’t get off with allowing that many golden opps.

Well the thing about Smid is that he’s still at the tail end here moving forward:

Souray-Lubo
    Grebs-Gilbert

Would you rather move Grebeshkov for Smid? Really?

Smid looks like a 5-6D and he’s approaching the Semenov-Bergeron-Greene slot where these guys just never move up the depth chart and eventually Theo Peckham comes along and eats their lunch.

Smid needs to establish himself as a legit top 4 imo or as Dennis suggests they might as well spend the money on 37 and move Smid in the summer.

176. oilerdago says:

LT – what about buying out Staios this summer and taking some of that money to try and keep both Grebs and Smid?

Or is Grebs too expensive?

Oilerdago: I’d be fine with that, in fact imo it’s to a point where the Oilers really need to find out what they have in Smid moving forward.

A top 5 of Souray, Lubo, Grebs, Gilbert and Smid with a 6-7 of a veteran from the Hejda tree (1M os so) and Peckham as the 7 looks fine to me.

178. Bruce says:

Assuming the minor officials in Denver can find their acid with both hands, Grebeshkov’s assist on the game winner was his 15th even strength point of the season, putting him in the top 10 defencemen in the NHL in that category and just 1 point back of Mike Green in fifth. (Tonight’s other games not factored in.)

Not often the Oil have a top 10 guy in any category, and EVP is a biggie. The guy doesn’t get enough PP time (just 2:12/GP) to really pile up the cheap points, thus he ranks just outside the top 30 in the NHL in overall defence scoring, but that’s still not too shabby for a fourth minutes guy.

179. Schitzo says:

Screw that noise – what’s the point of having a billionare owner if you can’t just bury your bad contracts in the AHL?

180. shepso says:

Most improved Oiler is Smid? I don’t know about that…Grebs has not been garbagekov much lately, that seems like a hell of an improvement to me, but it’s true, Laddie is getting a lot better. Still shocked that Staios put a puck in the net, but I’ll take it, and the pass from Grebs to Horcoff for the winner was really a thing of beauty.

2 quick points. First, the last few minutes of scramble-danger with the Avs net empty and Penner fails just miserably on the clear. I’ve been pretty easy on him this year, but come on. You’re the flying fridge! You outweigh the entire Avs defensive unit. Play the body! All he had to do was lean into the avs defender, we get a clear and likely not have to worry about a d-zone faceoff. Fortunately, the Avs are out of centers so Smitty took the draw. We all remember the Macblender 94 center experience about three years ago. Kinda reminded me of the 34 center experience this year. I call that epic fail.

Second point: This is also on the subject of faceoffs. Can someone shoot Chopper in the knee the next time Cogs gets waived out and Poo tries to go in. Poo is (listed as) a center. Moreau is not. End of story. I don’t trust Poo to do much, but these days I trust “fearless leader” even less. It’s getting kind of ridiculous to watch Moreau leading by example by trying to do everything entirely by himself and suck at it. I love Moreau’s grit and intensity, but the bottom line is that he’s a plugger with 4th line talent only. There’s no shame in being a 4th line energy captain. Buchy was precisely that and he is one the of Oilers most respected and revered leaders of all time. He lacked skill but made up for it with heart and great d-zone play and one miracle season of like 17 goals…I’m not a stats guy, feel free to correct me, but you all get my point. No more big minutes for chopper when Fernie gets back, please. It’s getting stupid watching Moreau do so many stupid things, all the time.

On the plus side, gritty game, good start, solid finish, big 2 points.

181. Dennis says:

Bruce: Yeah, I’m coming around on 37 for sure. When I saw that we gave up Bergy Plus a 2nd I was like “WTF” but the kid’s an absolute bargain at his salary so now let’s see if we know what we have – because we didn’t when it came to the Blue Jackets #1 dman – and let’s see if we can keep him.

I am all about the Oilers D corps these days. They don’t clear the net on the PK but at EV they move the puck, they jump into the play and they have great vision. My newest beef is with all the chances coming from the slot but as someone pointed out, the D can’t be everywhere and it’s the F’s domain to clog the slot.

182. Coach pb9617 says:

Melichar.

183. danny says:

Dennis: You thumbed it to StBernards? Where are you from?

Harbour breton had a rep for nice ladies, unless u were from Hr Breton, then it was all about Bay D’Espoir or St Albans :)

Theres a lot of ties between STB and HRB though because of resettled families etc. In fact an old friend of mine married a girl named melanie from there.

And… props to using the word ‘skin’… almost felt my moustache inching back to my upper lip for a second ;)

184. Dennis says:

Just a few more things to add because I’ve got 22 min to kill while I’m taping the season premiere of FNL:)

- the last time we were fit to watch 18 was a 4th line LW. In the spring that never happened – or at least it feels that way now, you had 94-14 doing tough min duty on the port side and then it was Samsonov-Moreau rounding out that unit. I’m sure someone will look this up but I doubt 18 was seeing more EV time than Samsonov. MacT puts the fucker out in the last min or play so we’re not gonna get him out of the Top 9 with a grenade but that doesn’t mean he belongs there.

- I’ll give 5 another couple of games to get out of this funk but if he doesn’t then I’m in the same camp that I was with Matt Greene this time last winter: trade him before you decide to pay him. MacT’s running the three pairs at EV no futher than 2 min apart these days and 5-24 are coming up dead for the last seven games.

- Forgot to mention this but I was pretty pleased with the Oilers tonight. They outchanced at EV without the benefit of the last change and the PK was ripe but that’s the way it is.

185. Dennis says:

Danny: Yes, I threw out “skin” because I thought you might enjoy it;)

I’m from Boat.Hr West, population 125 these days; unless it’s Christmas and then it swells close to 200:D

We are Burin Penninsula by road and the South Coast by water and we’re about a 20 drive south of Marystown.

When I graduated HS we still had the school systems divided by religion so I went to HS in a community called Jacques Fontaine that bordered on STB – these days they are joined. So, we had a rivalry with STB All-Grade with sports and the like and then you got to know a few people and it was always more intriguing chasing “skin” that you weren’t in class with from 9-3:D

186. danny says:

haha dennis this is good stuff. Its fun ribbing our roots for a laugh :)

Now, dare some albertan join in and we’re calling our cousins in Fort Mac to lay down a 5 knuckle reminder ;)

I gotta say ive never heard of your hometown before. South Coaster yeah, but smallest places I knew were Gaultois, English Harbour, belleoram etc.

Im related to the Walsh’s and Hacketts in Marystown I know that much.

Did ya watch the 98 olympic CZE/CAN game at Don Cherrys??

hahaha man how f’n hilbilly does this convo sound

187. Bruce says:

He was far from the only one. If anything Penner focussed too much on sticking the shoulder into Leopold instead of simply winning the race to the puck. Right after that Horcoff got too cute with a diagonal flip, Souray made a weak clearance that led to a Svatos wraparound, Staios only can make weak clearances, and then Moreau made a nonchalant non-clear in the last 30 seconds or so. Veterans all. As Oilerdago put it a little earlier in the third:

CLEAR THE FREAKING PUCK SOMEONE!

188. Dennis says:

Danny: Yes, man, I was there for that game in ’98! Not sure how they rigged it – I would say “rug” it and then you could really have a big laugh – but they most certainly sold alcohol past the legislated hour of 3am because I think that game would’ve started at say 4am or 430am.

Me and my townie buddy were there – he’s one of the very few good ones:) – and I remember getting back to the old house I was living in on Freshwater at probably around 730am. The rest of the boys were getting up to go to school then and I sat down and had a couple of more beer and talked them through breakfast.

And then I slept until like 5pm that evening:D

Yeah, South Coast by water – we could get to Placentia by boat a lot quicker than using the highways – but Burin Penninsula by the way of the road.

And I don’t care about the hillbilly thing:) I still love going home for Christmas and once me and the ladyfriend hit our 50′s I’ll be heading back there.

My whoring days are done now so thus the buffet that is George St has lost it’s luster and there’s lots of beer left in the outports and the only worry will be health care:D

189. Dennis says:

Bruce: are we making you homesick?:)

190. Bruce says:

During this “funk” Smid has been a plus player in 4 of the last 7 games. He’s +2 on the season, meaning our third paring has kept its head aboive water when he’s been on it, whereas 24-43 failed miserably when Ladi was hurt/pressboxed/”winging” it.

As for Greene, a guy you and I battled over many times last year, Dennis, he’s doing pretty darn well in LA. He is piling up Top 4 minutes (~20:00/GP), and has played the toughest comp according to BtN. Moreover, he currently has a GF/GA ON per 60 rating of +2.32/-1.80, which leads Kings defenders in BOTH catgories. He also leads the entire team with a +5 ranking(just ahead of Jarret Stoll +4), and this on a -17 club. Sounds like Matt is growing into the defensive bedrock role Some of us had envisioned for him. :)

Homesick? Always, just a little. Really miss the salt in the air, even after all these years.

191. Coach pb9617 says:

Oh the second watch:

Cogliano must not have slept well last night. He was off all night long. Of course, he has to haul around the worst captain since Queeg, but even in his attacks, he was out of sync and stride. He also continues to reek in the circle. He’s not even close and not improving at all. At least Gagner is improving to the naked eye and can battle a bit. Cogliano needs a long lesson with Adam Oates.

Gagner didn’t have nearly as much bite to his game tonight as he did last night, and he was wildly inconsistent tonight. He carried the puck well and tried to battle a few times and then made stupid drop passes and took a really awful penalty.

Moreau. Jesus. If anyone gets to watch again, there is a sequence in the offensive end where he has the puck on the near boards, takes a glance over his shoulder, see the Av and then drop passes it to the Av. He had no fight in his game all night. There was one sequence where he threw a few crosschecks at someone along the bench, but other than that, he was coasting so often. Dennis said that he’s done, and I agree. He’s not bringing any positives to the club right now and the team is better off with Reddox in his spot when everyone is healthy.

Staios/Smid. If LT is right and they deal Smid (which I think is a mistake), Smid is going to drop to his knees and thank Orr. Staios threw the puck to him along the board and got him hit four times tonight, and he avoided four hits in the same scenario.

Horcoff’s performance was pretty remarkable tonight. There’s a sequence in the second where he plays three straight shifts, taking two own zone faceoffs. 26 mins in regulation…

192. Dennis says:

Bruce: I’ll just come out and say that tandem’s getting lucky. No one’s gonna be constantly outchanced like that and keep coming up roses. Tonight they were even but there was also a penalty 5 had to take because of some of their clowning.

I’m gonna have to pick out a couple of Kings games – I’m self-employed and keep a strange sked as everyone must know by my posting habits:) – so I’ll have to make some time to watch a couple of home games to see how Murray’s running his bench. I did look at the Kings numbers on BTN the other day though. I remember Frolov being a tough min guy and I think Brown was his cohort.

Quain: I suspect that Moreau’s only done in reality; but not in MacT’s reality. I’ll expect that once 34 comes back you’ll have 13 helming a secondary tough min line with 18-34 and MacT liked it and he loved it and that’s the way it was.

Note: that’s an old Grumpy Old Man SNL reference.

Which brings me to why 13′s still taking draws. Obviously the longterm plan is 27-10-83 takes on the toughs and 89 tiptoes through the tulips and maybe the other side of that is the brass sees 13 as the secondary tough min and as a pivot and that’s why they’re letting him die – and in the process killing us – by throwing him in the faceoff circle when a guy like 78′s on his fucking wing. It’s not something I can agree with but it’s right on front of our noses that the Oilers aren’t interested in either of 51 or 78 as the secondary tough min pivot.

Let’s see how it all shakes out when all of 12-34-83 get back but I’ll expect a 78-51-46 fourth line and the rest will fall into place.

I tell you what I’d be interested in if 12 gets back before 34: keep 21 with 89-26 and play them secondary tough min and let 12-13-78 take on the soft.

But that would mean the team coming to grips with what Ethan Moreau’s abilities really are and I don’t think we’re close to that reality.

193. danny says:

So fkn funny.

I knew any hardcore fan probably was there. I’ll never forget that morning… I had a physics final 9am, yet 7am when trevor linden tied the game, in the most drunken non-homo spontaneous eruption, about 3 of us whom never met each other ever before from 3 adjacent tables jumped and tackled each other. It was one of the most memorable hockey moments i can remember becaue that place erupted, and you had to respect the followship that attended a hockey game 4:30 am. Golden night minus the shootout. I still cant belive Greatky didnt get the nod despite his sketchy breakaway history. The guy was Gretz afterall.

on a related note, the manager of Dons back then runs montanas now, and he still doesnt forget a face from the old days of wings/beers/satellite hockey whores.

194. shepso says:

@Bruce. Agreed. The fridge wasn’t the only player guilty of the soft clear and fail. However if Penner does the job on Leoppold and doesn’t stop short, we don’t get the sequence of events that included the Horcoff flutter clear (that actually almost worked) and the clusterfuck that followed. Again, I don’t want to get too critical on any blog (except my own, where I feel like I can really do whatever I want), but I would like to see Penner get dirty once in a while.

One last thing…a few posts ago, there was talk of Reddox essentially being the Falcons version of Smitty last year. I think I saw a couple flashes of that tonight. That kid plays really hard, is pretty solid defensively and draws penalties because of his “hard work in the tough areas” (wow, I just quoted MacT..I feel dirty), he goes to the net and doesn’t stop. Like Smitty when he first broke in, he had the will, the passion, just not the finish. Smitty has 299 goals, probably 250 of them were scored parked in front of the net, taking sticks to the back and getting into the shit. Reddox is starting to go to those areas with a bit more authority and confidence. I like it. The goals might just come with this one, slowly but surely. And props to 21′s effort again tonight. He will be a goal scorer with the right linemates and a bit of time. He has the shooter’s mentality.

195. Bruce says:

Coach, I disagree that Moreau brings no positives, but the negatives outweigh them. He’s second on the team in hits, and first among forwards in shot blocks. But he also leads in reckless penalties, and is getting murdered by the Corsi and scoring chance metrics. As for his brand new skill, faceoffs, so far he has compiled a less-than-stellar mark of 3-17, 15%. (Compare and contrast: Gilbert Brule 3-0, 100%; Zack Stortini 6-2, 75%) Of all the NHLers who have taken 20 or more faceoffs, Ethan’s 15% is The Worst.

196. Dennis says:

Ron Richard!!

He had the old hair-parted-straight-down-the-middle look and he was a short guy who was always running around:)

Fuck, I spent a lot of student loan money in that place from say Oct ’96 until I got my own dish in March of ’00.

I’d always check the net at school to see which US station was carrying the games – at the time DC’s didn’t have a dish that could say get the Oilers feed when the game was on A-Channel – and then I’d show up to the bar knowing which channel they’d have to turn to:)

I can’t tell you how many nights I’d go there to watch games at LA, SJ or Van – or maybe I can because it would be approx eight games a season – when it would be a 12am local start and back then games weren’t hurried along by hurry-up faceoffs and they Would last close to three hours and the waitresses would just be hanging at the bar having a final drink and when the Oilers game was over they’d lock up:)

Fuck, I don’t know how the ladyfriend ever tolerated it:)

But, yes, I thought my timeline was close on the loss to the Czechs because I remember everyone bolted right away like I said I was home in the house by around 730am.

Lots of celebrating that night to be sure; it has the ability to bring us all together.

I can still remember the Sunday afternoon of the GMG in ’02 in SLC and heading to the gas station 90 min before the puck drop and there was a lineup.

For beer.

I looked out the window from my cousin’s house during the first intermission and not a car went down that street in those close to 20 minutes.

Fuck:)

197. Daniel says:

Ethan Moreau can’t make a crisp pass to save his life.

Moreau back the the Hawks would be a dream come true.

Look captain! Everyone stands up on this team except you, ya dirty taint.

It’s getting stupid watching Moreau do so many stupid things, all the time.

the last time we were fit to watch 18 was a 4th line LW.

Ooh, is this the new meme?

198. Dennis says:

Shep: because we just played 94 and because I’m thinking of old times I’ll tell you a goal he scored that wasn’t from five feet out:

’97 G5 2OT at Dal.

I don’t think the older Dennis would ever classify that as a scoring chance but the younger Dennis drank every cent he had after that one went in;)

199. shepso says:

Sorry to do this, but as I mentioned in one of my other posts, I am not a stats guy in the slightest. That’s why my own posts on my blog tend to be long winded and filled in with bad pop culture references and my own bitterness, but does it make me a bad fan/writer to not understand what the hell Corsi is? Or any of the other stat categories that aren’t goals, assists, regular +/- PIMs, GAA, and SV%…if anyone can fill me in…

Newer Comments »