Oilers at Capitals, G42/08-09

This is Scott Stevens. A lot of people forget he was drafted by Washington and played a regular shift (+14 for the season) at age 18. He played 22 seasons in the big leagues and was never a minus at the end of the season. He was EV one season and +53 in his finest season (in that regard) plus of course he hammered people with great joy.

He was a part of three Stanley teams in New Jersey and finally lost his career to injury after 1868 NHL games (regular and playoff).

The Capitals have had many outstanding players in their history, in fact a few elite level players.

I don’t think any of them will compare with the guy from Moscow.

The Oilers are on the road in a town that worships Oil. The town team often kicks the living daylights out of Edmonton when they drop by and if I recall correctly the Oilers usually play Washington on Sunday afternoons and April Fool’s so they usually have an air of farce to them.

This is an important two points, but I wonder if the Oilers as a team will play with the urgency required to win the thing. They certainly won’t put forth 60 full minutes, we know that to be true based on the previous 41 games (and that’s a lot of at-bats).

Last GDT I suggested that if the Oilers aren’t alone in 8th (or better) that we’ll change the feel of the blog through spring. Open up the windows, let some air in. Maybe paint. Spackle first! Man that’s a good word. Spackle!

Actually, that’s what the Oilers need in some key areas. Spackle! I wish they could find a Czech defenseman named Spackle (maybe that’s what Hejda means) and it would be grand if they had a veteran center so Shawn Horcoff could go back to being a hockey player again.

Anyway, we said 8th or else and here are the standings as of this morning:

10. MIN 43PTS (41gp)
  11. EDM 43PTS (41gp)
  12. DAL 42PTS (41gp)
  13. NAS 41PTS (42gp)
  14. LAK 40PTS (41gp)
  15. STL 35PTS (41gp)

So they are tied for 10th with a very nice schedule leading into the All-Star break. If they had 2 more wins in the first half the Oilers would be tied for 7th with two games in hand, looking good moving forward. However, another way to look at this is the Edmonton Oilers are a losing streak away from being a player in the Tavares sweepstakes.

They could have done from the salary floor.

281 Responses to "Oilers at Capitals, G42/08-09"

Newer Comments »
  1. Matt N says:

I am terrified, yet somehow excited about seeing Steady Steve skating backwards with Ovechkin bearing down on him

2. Coach pb9617 says:

I’ve attended a couple of these Sunday afternoon games in the last few years as a guest of a Caps fan friend.

My most vivid memory is telling him how awful Tom Poti was and then seeing Bondra pot two by twisting Poti into the concrete under the ice.

Effing Poti.

3. quain says:

Well, if it helps, with Nilsson out we’re just a Souray shoulder injury away from essentially being a floor team.

Here’s hoping!

4. hunter1909 says:

The Oilers are literally meeting their mirror image team tonight.

The Caps all play together, with enthusiasm. The Oilers are the opposite: shit team play and listless.

The Caps are playing outstanding hockey, and unless the Oilers can manage to drag them down to their level, ala California Seals v Canadiens, this is going to be a 10-1 game.

5. Rod says:

Spackle!

6. Black Dog says:

hunter with his usual positivity! ;)

just stop watching it buddy, seriously

take up macrame or blackjack or something

I loved the old Caps uniforms.

Mike Marson.

7. Coach pb9617 says:

I loved the old Caps uniforms.

As do I. The old Caps, the Indian head, the Nord, the blue Pens unis, and the KC Scouts make up my collection of favorite sweaters.

8. rananda says:

that’s funny because tom poti has turned himself into a very fine hockey player for washington. hopefully he gets healthy soon.

9. Swabbubba says:

This is going to be a tough game. Semin, OV, and Green.
    Maybe our tough guy can beat up their tough guy.
    Heck if the Oilers get on the D early and hard they should be able to put them off the Caps game.
    They are all about the stretch pass.

10. hunter1909 says:

“hunter with his usual positivity!”

I’m a dynasty fanboy, black dog. Seeing the Oilers dynasty 50x between the age of 7-14 makes a guy just a tad cynical, when faced with the current(1991-2009 and counting) gongshow.

Anyway, the caps are getting perilously close to being my bandwagon team. They play hockey the way it oughta be played :P

PS: Rod Langway was a GREAT defenceman, back in the day.

11. Oilman says:

“A lot of guys were playing better, then we lost Hemmer and Nilsson, which really negatively affects our offence.” Craig MacTavish

From useless to essential in what, a week? Sounds like pre-loss excuses from the coach to me.

12. quain says:

Time for your daily gambling advice:

Take Edmonton at +190 and parlay it with New Jersey at +120. It’s a sure thing.

Alternatively, you could take your life savings out from under the mattress, throw it in a big pile in the backyard and just light the whole damn thing on fire.

13. doritogrande says:

We should be hopping on Theodore already. He’s the only way we win this game.

Unfortunately I’ve got work and the early game tonight, so there’s no way I’m catching a minute of the action. When will Bettman learn to pander to his target audience?

14. Doogie2K says:

This guy sounds close. Swedish RW, mind you, but then we’re short RWs these days.

15. Oilman says:

16. Bruce says:

LT: I’m envisioning Josef Ŝpăckl. He’s #7 with a little line through it, and wears his lunch bucket on his head. And you’re right, he plays just like Dan Hejda, nothing spectacular, but just try to get past the fucker.

17. Unleaded says:

I can’t tell you all how much I want to be apathetic about this team right now. I know in my head that they really have no hope this year. But I can’t help but be interested. Intreagued. There’s this little voice whispering in my mind that “you know they aren’t that bad” and “if so-and-so does such-and-such” and “there’s always hope – that’s why they play the game”.

Oh Gods how I wish that there was not so much F***ing drama with this God damned hockey team. Might as well be a soap. Hell, at least with those there’s a little skin now and then…

18. Scott says:

The third period against the Blues was somewhat encouraging. They really dominated that period and while the Blues are terrible and the Caps aren’t hopefully coming back from a goal down helps their confidence and overall fun level. I know it was fun to watch the Oilers dominate a whole period!

LT, if the Oil go 4-1 or better up to the All-Star break but still aren’t a clear 8th does the blog still go heresy in favour of Columbus? Do the BJ’s results matter at all? (because if they fall out of it, this could be a pretty depressing switch)

19. DeBakey says:

They could have done from the salary floor.

Tonight’s Oiler roster is worth $46.9 Million
    And not a penny more

OK Kids
    Gather 'round
    It's time to play Armchair GM!
    A Frolov is playing like shit in LA
    He's earning $2.9 this year & next
    then an UFA
    R. Nilsson to LA for Mr Frolov?

20. quain says:

Lord, if I could have Frolov for nothing but Nilsson I’d probably squee.

21. Smytty777 says:

Frolov is not getting a lot of first unit PP time in LA and he is being used in a third line roll with J. Stoll. Tough to put up decent numbers in that situation.

That being said he has 17 goals. So I can’t see LA moving him for Nilsson.

22. HBomb says:

Debakey: Don’t tease me with suggestions of Frolov. Guy has been on my wish list for years.

Impact winger who’s been buried in LA for whatever reason. He’d score 40 with Hemsky, easy, and would be a great fit on a power-vs-power unit with 10-83.

Send Penner back to SoCal, I bet LA listens to that offer.

23. St George says:

Lowetide – I meant to ask. Why Columbus if the Oilers aren’t in 8th? I invested in the Centre Ice package, so I need to watch games to get my money’s worth … I was more thinking of Washington or Chicago when the Oilers fate was clear. They both are, as pointed out, young teams playing with passion and urgency, and they have some history to them. Seems like more fun than Columbus.

24. quain says:

Oh, good lord, Penner for Frolov now? You guys can’t get me excited like this, it’s only midday.

Next you’re going to start suggesting they’d take Moreau and a fourth for Frolov.

25. jon k says:

Any talk about a chance of winning should be dismissed. The Caps are 18-2-1 at home this year and we’ve won there once in the last 10 visits.

26. HBomb says:

How about Moreau and Staios for Frolov? They’re nowhere near the cap and could use some veterans for that lineup.

Sure, it could happen!

27. St George says:

Come on. Didn’t this team just break the Predators streak a few weeks ago? Positive energy man!

28. quain says:

We also pulled two points out of San Jose, at San Jose, a month or two ago. Now, I absolutely agree there’s no chance we’ll hang around against Washington, but at least we’ll lose to a real team rather than Ottawa. And it’s always fun to see Ovechkin.

This team is weird though, I could see it being one of those 17-48 shot differentials, Roloson having broken three sticks over the back of Washington players, the penalty kill surviving 16 minutes worth of penalties, and the team squeaking one out in the shootout.

I could also see us getting slaughtered 9-2, again.

29. Alice says:

HBomb, Good for you getting the bar up so quickly today!

30. Traktor says:

quain: Where are you making your bets?

bet365 has Oilers +205
    pinnaclesports has Oilers at +210
    willhill has Oilers at +200

I might not seem like a big difference but it adds up if you bet if you bet as often as I do.

31. Coach pb9617 says:

LT is sabotaging. This post isn’t nearly negative enough.

32. Alice says:

I know, it’s like he’s throwing in the towel.

Maybe he’s got money going the other way ;-)

33. quain says:

Traktor: I do my betting at Bodog, but the lines I used were just randomly pulled from TSN’s lines page. They’ve sadly blocked gambling websites at work. Don’t they understand that I should be using this free time to augment my income?

34. eidy says:

days like this make one want to dream…. warm weather, picking up a 3rd line centre or even vermette (a shooting percentage of 4% can’t last forever and he can win draws), and a shut down defense.

if then we make a coaching change, the incoming coach may look like a genius just for tweaking a few things here or there.

more likely scenario, we coast through to the terade deadline then deal off some pieces (ie roloson, cole, staios, moreau for some picks) and spend the next few months talking about the infamous quantity for quality i’ve heard so much about.

by the way, anyone else hope that semin fights again tonight. i’d love to see him and grebs slap each other silly

35. Bruce says:

Washington has been a wasteland for Oilers for years. I have bad memories from Dennis Maruk of all people somehow being left alone at the side of the net to score the 6-6 goal at 19:50 of the third period sometime around 1982, to last year’s marathon scoreless shootout where Oilers had the last shot and something like 9 chances to win and blew them all. And way too many Sunday afternoon games in between.

Last we saw, though, Bruce Boudreau was holding his head in his hands in an outward display of what all coaches surely feel at times but mostly just try to chew and swallow. The worst of all scenarios, an own-zone mishandle of the puck compounded by the utter lack of a decent save to blow a game in the last 30 seconds of regulation. Which is as bad as it gets in the regular season of the New NHL. (I love Bruce Boudreau.)

Prior to that, one of those two home losses was their last game, a shutout no less, so maybe they’re in a bit of a lull right now. Happens to the best of teams, although sometimes a game against the Oil is a cure for what ails them. (see: the Sharks for a recent example)

So after those recent failures the Caps either come out loaded for bear right from the get-go in which case we’re likely dead in the water, or maybe they’re just not feeling it this week and this is the perfect time to be taking them on.

^^^^
    ||||
    This is why I’m not a betting man.

36. Schitzo says:

Two minute penalty for not mentioning the Whalers

37. Master Lok says:

Hey Bruce, I saw the same highlight (lowlight) of Boudreau holding his head in his hands after that game losing goal. I really felt for the guy… and then I remembered that he had Ovechkin, Backstrom etc.

38. hunter1909 says:

I loved that old Rockies jersey.

Betting on hockey games? Wow.

39. Lord Bob says:

This is what I love about my job. I’m the computer technician, which means in charge of more-or-less everything with a power button, which means that ordinary human rules don’t apply to me because I enforce them. :P

40. Coach pb9617 says:

Two minute penalty for not mentioning the Whalers

The Whalers might get honorable mention, but they aren’t nearly as good as the others.

41. Coach pb9617 says:

One bright spot tonight – the Caps only have one dman capable of physically matching Cole and Penner.

42. gary b says:

Oilers are the team of my heart, but the current Caps are rapidly becoming my fave team to watch.

Mike Green is the guy i’m most worried about tonight – i mean, we EXPECT to get toasted by OV et al, but Green… he’s pretty sneaky for a big guy, i love how he just keeps going down the wall when 90% of dmen’s instincts would be saying “TURN BACK! TURN BACK!”

should be a fun one to watch, hopefully the OIl can keep it close.

43. Coach pb9617 says:

It’s because they’re most like the Oilers of old. Though Chicago is giving them a run for their money.

44. Traktor says:

“Maybe a 7 game series, say, Capitals v Oilers(current lineups), wonder what the odds on that would be?”

Washington 1.25
    Edmonton 4.10

45. Dennis says:

I remember the last win because it happened on a Super Bowl Sunday. That same game you had Simon uttering racial epithets at Grier and it was known. Without looking it up I think Simon got four games for it.

Years later someone would happen to tell the truth about people’s dating habits and he got railroaded out of the league.

I am looking forward to the upcoming break just so I’ve got a week where I’m not thinking about it.

It’s the same old same old.

46. Art Vandelay says:

(Stevens)…finally lost his career to injury after 1868 NHL games.

Isn’t that like saying Grampa lost his life to ___________ at age 104?

/you see, he was old, and all…

Can a team with a Johnson/Theodore tandem succeed in the playoffs?

47. DBO says:

Washington is lacking in the goalie department which is why I almost wish we go in the tank so we move some players. Rollie to Washington for Steckal (been beating this drum for a bit. big, young centre who is top 10 in faceoffs and hits).
    Also, Wayne at Oilers Nation has a good post on Mact and how his source feels he’s lost the young players with his hard line style. Credible or not I don’t know, but where there’s smoke there’s fire, and with “sources in the lockeroom” being quoted throughout the blog/print world about how the coach’s style has pissed off a lot of players it makes one think that Mact has to go.

48. Traktor says:

Tampa/Sharks over 5.5
    Jersey/Nucks under 5.5
    Canes/Sens over 5.5

10 bets all of them 5 dollar bets

49. Unleaded says:

Art Vandelay said…

Can a team with a Johnson/Theodore tandem succeed in the playoffs?

You know, if the Oilers do decide that they are done for the year, I really hope they trade Roli to Washington for their 1st. I mean, I know washington could really use the 1st to address some problems they have (no star forwards, stud d-man) but I can’t help thinking that Roli could take that team down the stretch. GOd knows the man deserves a shot at the cup. His last one seemed to have some kind of complication… but… can’t quite remember what though…

50. Alice says:

I know a hockey blog is the wrong place to post this, but why the hell didn’t we fight the Indians over some place where – I don’t know – Beach Volleyball would become the national pastime?
    [goes outside to shovel]

51. Fake Craig McTavish says:

Some interesting info about what’s going on in the dressing room over at ON.

52. CrazyCoach says:

Bruce,

I think I remember watching that Pee Wee Maruk goal and cringing to. The Caps just seem to have the Oilers number over the years, be it Gartner, Maruk, Bondra, Hunter, or even Langway.

I’ve got an appointment with legal issues in PR tonight followed by a rec game at 9. May not see any of the game at all.

Go Oilers Go!

53. Coach pb9617 says:

Can a team with a Johnson/Theodore tandem succeed in the playoffs?

No, but I hope the address that. That place was an absolute madhouse last year for the Flyers series. I’d like to be able to go to a cup final there :)

54. Coach pb9617 says:

Bruce, I’ve had just as much fun watching Alzner and Jurcina work together. That kid’s coolness has remade Jurcina’s game.

55. Bruce says:

Last year I got an eyeful of Green during Washington’s thrilling stretch drive, during their 7 game loss to Joffrey Zoolander and the Flyers (the most disappointing moment of a generally disappointing playoff season), and then again at the Worlds. His aggressively offensive instincts had me repeatedly invoking the name of Paul Coffey.

Now in his third full season, Green has seen his points-per-game soar from 0.17 to 0.68 to 0.93 through 30 games this year (10-18-28). His +/- has soared in tandem, from -10 to +6 to +15 before the All-Star break, so obviously it is working to the Caps’ advantage. Like Coffey, Green is covered by such high-tech weaponry as Ovechkin, Backstrom, and Semin that they are bound to finish a good percentage of Green’s risks. The second tier forward talent of Viktor Kozlov, Nylander, Flieshmann, and (ahem) Fedorov ain’t too shabby either.

This is a very, very fun team to watch. I’m a faithful Oilers fan since forever and will be until then, but of all the neighbours’ wives in the league this is the one I covet. :) For the very reason that they play “Oilers Hockey” (Ver 1.0).

56. mc79hockey says:

FCM – That’s a pretty soft story. Leaving aside the fact that I know nothing about who Wanye Gretz is, other than the fact that he’s apparently cool writing at a site with a writer who spits a lot of anti-semitism. This isn’t exactly the most solid lead in the world:

The Oil played the Coyotes on Dec 22 going into the Christmas Break. Santa delivers and the Oil win 4-2 to send the team into the break on a relative high note given how things were unfolding during the first three months of the season. Now you know how it is around Christmas: you want to be home with your families if at all possible. The understanding seemed to be win on the 22nd and part for the holidays filled with Christmas cheer.

But not with ol’ Coach here in E-town.

In his infinite wisdom, MacT switched it up and made the team attend practice on the 23rd. As a direct result all players couldn’t get back east to their families for Christmas as many had planned.

I kind of wonder about it, just because I’m not sure who’d be flying back east to see their families. I assume that the guys with wives and kids in Edmonton don’t need the hassle of that flight in the middle of the year. The story reads like it’s the young guys anyway. So…Cogliano, JDD, Stortini (maybe, Elliot Lake is in the middle of fucking nowhere), Reddox, Gilbert, MAP and Gagner? An awful lot of those guys should be kissing the coach’s ring, even if he bans Christmas.

More to the point, there are supposedly a billion things to care about and this is the real outrage?

57. mc79hockey says:

Just to follow-up: I assume that the TO and area guys would have been ok, it’s the guys in Quebec and more obscure parts of ONT that would have run into problems.

58. DeBakey says:

Some interesting info about what’s going on in the dressing room over at ON.

I’ve never read that guy before.
    Sure reads like fiction:
    “Now class, this week’s creative writing assignment is about dissent. Do we all remember what that word means? 750 words by Monday.”

I’m not saying it is
    Sure reads that way

59. Bruce says:

Coach: At least until the last 30 seconds in Montreal, where big Jurcina was the goat. But he’s appeared steady otherwise, at least to me in limited looks.

To address a point somebody made above (too lazy to check who) it seems to me that between Jurcina and Morrisonn the Caps got two big defenders to try and counter Cole and Penner.

Steckel is an anglicized spelling of Ŝpăckl. Let’s do it. :)

60. Smytty777 says:

MC: “Keep the coach, get better players.”

61. Unleaded says:

Smytty777: “Not sure if that is a serious comment or not, but it seems to me that it is infinitely easier to replace a coach than to “get better players”. I’m not saying it’s more effective, but how exactly to you just get better players?”

62. quain says:

Well, in my experience, you get a list of every hockey player in the NHL, sort the list by weight, largest to smallest, and then fire off an offer sheet for the guy at the top. I haven’t heard of another way beyond this.

63. CrazyCoach says:

For all of you wondering where Ralph Whathisname is doing now, go here. http://24ur.com/sport/hokej/v-zivo-tilia-olimpija-vsv-beljak-3.html

Maybe MacT made the guys practice on Dec 23rd, but that's hardly the reason for a dressing room mutiny. Maybe there is a divide among the players based on age. I clearly remember that Lee Foglin didn't like music in the dressing room while Gretz & Co. did.

Either way if the players are pissy about practicing on the 23rd, maybe it is time for MacT to be a hardass and hope it rubs off on some of those pussies.

64. Coach pb9617 says:

Eh, he lost site and then he lost it in his skates. It happens. He’s a completely different player with Alzner out there.

They still have a ton kids to bring along. This Collins kid was a bit of a surprise. Schultz is back and Collins is down, which I don’t think is an improvement.

65. quain says:

Horcoff questionable with a case of the flu. I’m questionable with a case of liquor.

66. Smytty777 says:

Unleaded: “Isn’t that the real reason we have stem cell research here in Canada? Better hockey players?”

Imagine being able to clone up a bunch of OVs. I’d support that kind of research.

67. Smytty777 says:

Quain: I believe the Oilers actually sort the list by percentage body fat, as their original offer was actually to Wellwood.

68. DeBakey says:

Smytty777 wins the coveted “69th Post” award

The proprietor will be contacting you shortly to ensure that you receive your prize in a timely manner.

69. Unleaded says:

Honestly, I’d rather have the 71st post prize – a free clone of Lubo to send over to ON and have him ride Wayne Gretz around to the liquor store.

70. hunter1909 says:

“Keep the coach, get better players. Or at least ones who aren’t such giant fucking babies on and, apparently, off the ice.”

This argument is precisely why this might be my fave game of the season.

Caps are the mirror image of the MacT perpetual underachievers. Just like this argument is the mirror image of what an increasing majority of Oiler fans are thinking.

71. hunter1909 says:

Just a quick question:

Is Schremp joining the team on this road trip?

72. hunter1909 says:

I just couldn’t resist.

73. mc79hockey says:

I’m ok with that. I’ve been on the other side of Oilers fandom many times before. For example, I was silly enough to think that the 2006 team could be something special if they grabbed a goalie while others were screaming that the team had quit and that MacT needed to be fired because he obviously couldn’t coach any team to any sort of success.

(Not to say that my reasoning was necessarily right, which is what really matters (although I think it was) but more that being offside with the majority of fans of a hockey team isn’t necessarily a bad thing. It doesn’t have a lot of probative value.)

74. Coach pb9617 says:

Washington is insane in the circle even without Federov. Backstrom is the only center that can’t win draws. Steckel 56%, Gordon 57%, Laich 53%, Nylander 48% and Backstrom 46%, but Federov has been out for awhile and he’s at 55%.

That’s just wrong. If Horcoff is out, Brodizak will have to take 35 draws.

75. HBomb says:

Christ, no Horcoff, Hemsky OR Pisani?

So we’re going to go into Ovechkinland and face the Caps without our three best two-way forwards and without a center over the age of 24?

I think the words “beer me” will be sounded many a time tonight. There is currently a flat of Corona in the fridge. Someone set the over/under on how many are left when I pass out tonight.

Alternatively, start a pool to guess at what time the last drop is consumed.

76. Schitzo says:

Hbomb – pour an ounce of Bacardi Limon in the neck of each Corona. Easier than keeping fresh lime on hands, and you’ll put yourself into a coma.

77. CrazyCoach says:

HBomb,

I would say 2-1 there are 10 left and 40-1 there are less than five left by games end.

78. HBomb says:

Schitzo: now I have to buy a bottle of Bacardi Limon. That’s one of the most f’n brilliant things I have ever heard.

79. Schitzo says:

Considering the source, I’ll take that as high praise.

80. Schitzo says:

Oh, but definitely tip it upside down before drinking or your first swig is pure rum.

81. Traktor says:

“Keep the coach, get better players.”

How does someone who’s never had success get the benefit of the doubt?

For all we know MacTavish is part of the problem.

It’s not like it’s a life changing decision. People act like firing the coach is the equivalency of getting married or divorced. It’s more like trading in that old chevy with 400k that still runs for a new Tacoma. Or maybe you go with Ford. Or Dodge. Who cares.

Instead of getting pissed off that you can’t find parts for the old pickup just get a new ride already. You don’t even have to take it to the bone yard, you can just let it collect dust in the garage with the KLowerider.

82. HBomb says:

Considering the source, I’ll take that as high praise.

It’s resourceful. I usually keep a couple limes around, but that’s as good a plan B as I’ve heard.

Now I’m wondering if Absolut Citron vodka would have the same effect….

83. Traktor says:

You can look at the roster that MacTavish always has to work with and you can certainly argue that expecting division and conference titles is wishful thinking at best. I agree with that. But by the same token there’s zero evidence that supports MacTavish is anything more than an average coach.

84. Vic Ferrari says:

Black Dog said…

hunter with his usual positivity! ;)

just stop watching it buddy, seriously

take up macrame or blackjack or something

Hunter,

You don’t listen to that vicious Black Dog, soldier. Carry one as you were.

Every morning that effer stares at me with the eyes of one who hates for just being born (I work at the Shoppers Drug Mart in Hogtown, just across the street from where he catches the subway every morning). But I don’t let it get me down, and neither should you.

I mean look at the positives; we’re both going to be on easy street if Traktor/OilManFan starts putting out odds.

It would be funny if it weren’t so damn sad. :)

And how the hell did you end up with dude from ‘Sweet’ in your avatar? That’s funny stuff.

85. mc79hockey says:

The really weird thing is that I have some idea where BD lives and, if he took the subway to work, there’s a Shoppers a few blocks east. Plus I was thinking about OilManFan from OilFans with all this gambling talk. Does Springsteen have a penetrating line about coincidences?

86. Traktor says:

Lowetide: Really looking forward to those prospect reports by the way.

Zach Kassian would look great in blue and copper.

87. hunter1909 says:

Vic: As a matter of fact I used to live in London and a couple of times saw this dude stepping out of a Rolls Royce with a couple of minders, who looked about 130 years old, with thin white hair cut like a rock star.

Seriously, this guy looked was so wasted looking, he looked like he was made out of glass. Like he was Dracula being taken out into the light just before he disintegrates.

It was Brian Connelly.

88. Vic Ferrari says:

What part of London, Hunter?

89. Vic Ferrari says:

MC sed:

Does Springsteen have a penetrating line about coincidences?

And the cops finally busted Madam Marie. For telling fortunes better than they could be.

90. Kris says:

“Well, in my experience, you get a list of every hockey player in the NHL, sort the list by weight, largest to smallest, and then fire off an offer sheet for the guy at the top.”

The List:

1. Dustin Penner
    2. Vyacheslov Fatisov (Krutov’s nephew?)
    3. Fat guy from Nintendo “Ice Hockey”

91. Traktor says:

Vic: I don’t know who OilManFan is so I’m not sure if that’s an insult or not. But if you’re insulting me then let me know and I’ll respond accordingly.

92. Vic Ferrari says:

Vic: I don’t know who OilManFan is so I’m not sure if that’s an insult or not.

Neither do I, personally. Someone from Black Dog’s gun club I think.

In any case, you and I are good. And I’ve got your back with this Black Dog lunatic. Just keep looking forward, brother.

93. Temujin says:

Go Caps!
    I’m tired of all the BS Oiler posts around here anyways :-)
    I’d also suggest a name change to “Gillestide”

The fat guy in Nintendo Ice hockey was “teh shiznit”, imo.

94. Doogie2K says:

I shouldn’t be surprised, because I watched him as a junior night-in and night-out for two years, but I am impressed by how well Alzner’s adapted to the NHL after, what, 20-25 AHL games?

95. hunter1909 says:

Vic: AFC country, LOL

96. Vic Ferrari says:

Hunter:

what?

97. hunter1909 says:

north London

98. Vic Ferrari says:

What neughtbourhood? What was your local?

99. Vic Ferrari says:

btw:
    “neughtbourhood” is how they’re spelling ‘neighbourhood’ in north London now. You see it in all the graffiti. I’m sure Hunter will confirm this.

100. hunter1909 says:

Belsize Park.

So many…The White Horse, The Magdala, The Flask, The King of Bohemia, the Hollybush, The Haverstock Arms, off the top of my head.

101. B.C.B. says:

Does anyone know another feed other then ATDHE?

102. hunter1909 says:

Turning the game on, I’m reminded of the short circuit between my head(wants MacT fired and 10-1 caps), and my heart that wants Oilers to play good.

Fuck.

103. Temujin says:

BCB: sometimes someone at justin.tv will stream it. Not always the best quality, tho.

104. Vic Ferrari says:

Not that you couldn’t have googled up an answer, but four minutes is fairly decent considering you would have had to choose a neughtbourhood and learn what “your local” meant. Then find the pubs. So I’ll gve you the benefit of the doubt.

Do you feel blessed, Hunter?

I suspect that you do.

Now, back to serious business. What to do about this Black Dog problem? We’ll come up with something. You, me and Traktor just need to put our heads together.

105. Bohologo says:

Hunter: that’s my old neighbourhood. I am now cross-eyed with jealousy. Good to know the Holly Bush is still thriving; those meat pies made with stout are worth the risk of mad cow disease. Take good care of NW3 for the rest of us.

I too have seen the Oilers in DC over the years, and every time I get to walk through the concourse, post-game, listening to Caps fans jeer me and my sorry excuse for a road team.

106. B.C.B. says:

Temujin: Thanks . . .

The worst part about living in London: is the Knights tickets are so hard to find since the new #1 draft got sent here.

107. hunter1909 says:

Vic: Ok name any one of them LOL and I’ll describe the decor.

Now that I’m thinking, my fave pub is the Toucan Bar in Soho. You can order anything you like, so long as it’s Guinness.

108. quain says:

Yeah. I don’t even know anymore.

109. Mustafa Hirji says:

I didn’t realize our enforcers would give the Caps their SMac-down in the absence of Hemsky.

110. Nennog says:

Hey guys, decent game happening here…

111. hunter1909 says:

2-0 holy shit

112. Iztok says:

That Gagner dangle looked Hemsky-esque.

113. hunter1909 says:

Vic: I was raised north of Edmonton, actually.

114. David says:

This has got Roli-steal written all over it

115. hunter1909 says:

Oilers make me want to hang myself.

LOL if MacT attacking Schremp provides the spark the teams’s waiting for.

Great rope a dope so far from the Oilers, haha.

116. Traktor says:

Roli is like that nerdy looking girl that you knew always loved you but you always ditched her for better looking ladies. You could bang her best friend and she would still be there for you. Gotta love those Roli types.

117. Unleaded says:

So, I decide that I’ll check on the score to see how badly my team is losing, before eating supper and going out for the night.

I see the Score.

Who the Eff is teaching out fourth liners how to do this? It’s rediculous.

Also, I stand by my earier statement about Roli – if we trade him, I hope it’s to these guys. I think he’d get bored in Detroit, and he deserves to have a good time.

118. Dennis says:

Speaking of nerdy looking ladies, I’ll never feel the same way again about Tina Fey after reading she forbade her husband from going to strip clubs.

Chances: 13-7 Wsh; 12-5 EV and Oilers 2-1 ST.

Anecdotal: 77 with probably the worst period of his career and subsequently the 44-77 period were 1/6 and 1/7 respectively.

Good things happen when the Oilers screen a goal.

Two games in a row with non-aggressive penalties from 67 that take place behind the opp’s goal.

You have to feel great for 33.

119. docweb says:

How come a “lovetap’ to the side of the helmet is a penalty but a shoulder to the head with subsequent concussion is not???
    ARRRRGGGGGHHHHH!!!!

120. Coach pb9617 says:

Ethan Moreau can eat a column-shaped piece of the common anatomy.

121. Dennis says:

Also: the Oilers should do OK when they decide to rent Rolie and 26; unless Kevin Sinden-Lowe once again goes spur of the moment and takes token packages.

Is O’Marra’s brother in junior, yet??

That is all;)

122. quain says:

The colour guy for the Caps broadcast is a bit off, but I’ve always loved him and he reinforced it today. After the play-by-play guy brought up the Oilers maybe missing their great ice, he responded by talking about how the ice in Rexall is getting crappy.

It’s always fun to not see that go unquestioned.

123. Jonathan says:

I don’t know who all is watching the Washington feed, but I’ve never had concussion treatment explained to me by a man who can’t pronounce “symptom”.

So far so good ;)

124. Jonathan says:

Wow!

125. Jonathan says:

Heads up play by Brodziak – nice to see.

Also, Steckal obviously isn’t Spackle ;)

126. Coach pb9617 says:

Brule has more goals in seven games this year than he did in 61 games last year.

127. HBomb says:

That goal was orgasmic. Cream Brule, if you will.

128. DeBakey says:

Nice play by Brodziak

Nice play, too, by the french kid

129. Bank Shot says:

Looks like this is the part of the season where Theodore tries to singlehandidly give away two points to the opposing team.

Moreau would have had a clear breakaway there if he didn’t want to see Marc Pouliot burning in the depths of hell.

130. Jonathan says:

So the Capitals play-by-play crew track zone time.

Watching all of these American sportscasts, I wonder about Americans who are passionate about hockey.

I bet there are some damn smart folks south of the border, and a lot of them have better play-by-play crews than those fellows on HNIC.

131. gary b says:

the Washington announcers are always entertaining, but Craig Laughlin can get a bit spastic at times. he has the voice of a small, round, angry old man. :P

Brule’s goal was SICK.

132. Coach pb9617 says:

The blond chick on the ATB financial commercial must be the girlfriend of the director or something.

133. Bank Shot says:

It always blows my hair back that most American broadcasts keep track of scoring chances, and update them every period, but you barely hear a whisper about them on Canadian produced ventures.

134. Jonathan says:

Honestly, these guys seem pretty good, as have the crews in most of the other American cities I’ve heard.

Honestly, every time I listen to HNIC now, I get upset. Mark Lee and Marc Crawford is seriously the best the flagship hockey program in Canada can do? P.J. Stock?

I know a fellow, good little (and I mean little) defenseman who played some junior hockey and was a behind-the-scenes guy on HNIC; he said that about ten years ago Sportsnet and TSN lured away the best folks, leaving CBC with whatever was left over. I suppose it isn’t surprising that the play-by-play crews have deteriorated too.

135. Jonathan says:

And honestly, I need to stop saying honestly ;)

136. Jonathan says:

Nice little move by Brule there, running over the Capital’s player on his way into the zone.

It’s probably too soon to say the light is on, but it would be nice.

137. slipper says:

For me, play-by-play is all about making the game sound exciting. I don’t pay a whole lot of attention to what the announcers actually say. It all in how they deliver it.

I paid for the CI one season and I found that a bunch of the American telecasts had all the urgency of a Wednesady afternoon baseball game.

138. Bank Shot says:

CBC’s failing is that they like to give guys chances. That explains P.J Stock.

I don’t blame CBC for having a poor “B” crew (Lee, Crawford) as they don’t have the money to corner the market on quality broadcasters.

I think Hughson, Simpson, Hrudey, Maclean, and the adventurous Scott Oake are top notch though.

139. HBomb says:

What in the name of 7-pound-8-ounce baby Jesus was MacT doing giving Moreau time on the powerplay?

Talk about a waste.

140. slipper says:

If I coached WSH I’d rather have had Ovechkin out against Brodziak and Reddox after the penalty than have hime killing that minor.

141. gary b says:

CBC should just employ an on-ice microphone and lose the Lee/Crawford crew altogether. i don’t know what those guys get paid, but you’d like to expect more from than the obligatory hair jokes and regurgitated ‘analysis’ from last June’s Hockey News.

Ray Ferraro, Louie Debrusk, etc. = chef’s table

Mark Lee/Crawford = Royal Fork Buffet (on Fish Night)

142. HBomb says:

Hmm, Brashear hasn’t been on the ice against MacIntyre yet tonight.

He’d probably dodge him anyway, big pussy he is.

143. Jonathan says:

Given that CBC poached Milbury from TSN, and given that Crawford’s worked as an analyst for TSN before, I don’t know that they can cry poor.

They let Cuthbert go during the lockout, yet they forked over more money (750K?) for Cherry and (the admittedly excellent) MacLean.

There’s enough floaters on their broadcast that they ought to be able to axe some idiots and hire a smaller number of higher quality personnel.

144. gary b says:

i wonder what the regional guys get paid – the SN guys like Quinn and Loubardias – wouldn’t those guys jump at a chance at a prime CBC gig? both would be a huge step up from ML/MC.

145. docweb says:

That Caps goal was a beauty. Reminded me of Paul Henderson’s in Game 6 ??

Help me out LT/Bruce…

146. DeBakey says:

The thing is
    They don't have to steal Cuthbert back from TSN
    They could go out & find some guy doing Junior in Halifax or Moose Jaw or somewhere

Lee is hopeless

147. Jonathan says:

I like Hrudey too for the most part, but he was arguing with Milbury the other night about Avery, and Milbury was bang on.

Hrudey was going on about how much better the Stars were playing without Avery. Milbury asked him if one man could be that distracting. Hrudey said yes. Milbury asked if the change spoke to the character (lack thereof implied) of the other guys in the room, then. Hrudey said no.

148. slipper says:

Loubardias’ has a small, irritating voice. I loathed listening to him call the Oil. Like a Screeching Weasel. Good band, bad commentator.

149. Bruce says:

That MAB always could shoot the puck. Wow, what a blast.

Help me out LT/Bruce…

DocWeb: Some similarities with Henderson’s winner in Game 7 in Moscow, which I assume is the one you’re referring to. Henderson was, however, a RH shot who as I recall beat the right D wide to the outside, then while being taken down fired a (similar) perfect shot in the top corner. Whereas Fleishmann went to the inside, took advantage of a bad step by Lubo it looked like. Henderson’s was the more spectacular goal, not to mention the more important. I always wished that had been the one to win the series, rather than the garbage rebound goal that has been replayed about 186,437 times over the years.

150. Derek says:

“skeeeeyooooooores”

I like Quinn and its a damn shame they couldn’t hang onto Ferraro, he may suffer from a bit of the stutters but he usually has something intelligent to say. That and the way he ripped Stefan a new one like he slept with his wife or something was quite humorous.

Gilbert Brule now with 3 pts in 2 games, and only (2?) games left on the ticket, quite an interesting little development. It would be disheartening to send him back to the Falcons but where is he going to play with the return of Hemsky, Pisani and Nilsson?

151. Dennis says:

In time people will come around to a different opinion of what happened to Avery and when and why it happened. Already some of the Stars players are saying their play had little to do with him and now all it will take is for a columnist to admit he jumped the gun.

In the meantime;), I had the 2nd period chances at 7-4 Edm; 4-4 at EV and 3-1 on ST.

Other things:

Great burst of speed and hands by 67 on that goal. Not sure why Boudreau was still giving his 4th line time unless he’s just so confident they can come back that he’ll still run a full bench. In any case, thank you Mr. Boudreau!

I’ve mentioned this for awhile now and while I don’t know what 26′s hard PK numbers are, the guy creates the most PK chances out of anyone on the club; it’s uncanny.

Way too much stick-checking on Flechisman’s goal; 13 looked similarly defensively lax on a goal in LA earlier this year.

A couple of really timely and well placed shot-blocks by 24.

152. Bank Shot says:

You need alot of guys for HNIC. Some nights they cover 3-4 games. Quality temps are likely few and far between.

I mean if you look at some of the dreck that Sportsnet puts on the airwaves (Brophy, Principe even if he is a good guy, Loubardis, Roger Millions) its hard to argue that the CBC “B” crew isn’t on par or better then the other network’s supporting cast.

153. slipper says:

During that road swing through ALberta the Stars were just adjusting to having 7 or 8 regulars out of the line-up. Compounded with how poorly Turco was playing- the Stars had nowhere to go but up.

Now everyone is like “Sean Avery was a cancer, blah, blah, blah…”

I argued this over the holidays with my older brother who’s hockey opinion I used to covet. He actually asked me, rhetorically, if it wasn’t obvious that Avery’s antic were affecting Brodeur’s play.

Like some guy taking phone calls from his agent in the locker room is going to drive the goalie’s save percentage up or down 6 fucking points.

154. Dennis says:

On where 67 fits in: it’s not the way I’d run things but here’s my guess what happens when if and when all of 12-34-83 returns and if we don’t make a deal in the interm:

27-10-83 : PVP
    12-89-26: The Mr. Butterworths
    18-13-34: secondary tough min
    78-51-67: 4th line with 46 in the wings.

Not sure if the Oil would keep him up to play on the 4th but maybe he could fill the old energetic Glencross role./

155. Bruce says:

Sheldon Souray with 3 shots, Jose Theodore with 3 huge rebounds. 1 found net, the other 2 could have. It really is a weapon.

156. docweb says:

Thanks Bruce…I’ll have to review that again but I trust your elephant like memory (and that’s a compliment of course).

What I loved about this goal was the little flip of the puck then the charge through the two Dmen.

Sweet. But wrong team

157. slipper says:

I still think what Avery said was stupid and Dennis is wrong.

158. Jonathan says:

Bank Shot: Sportsnet’s a bit of a joke, IMO.

TSN is far and away the best of the Canadian broadcasters for quality game crews. I’m not big on McGuire, but both Cuthbert and Gord Miller are quality, McKenzie’s the most connected insider in Canada, and plus i’m a big James Duthie fan.

159. Jonathan says:

On Avery, obviously he’s a jackass and not a guy I’d ever want to see on my team.

And just as obviously, he was more a convenient scapegoat than the all-encompassing reason for the Dallas Stars’ poor play.

160. slipper says:

and the above should of read: “if it wasn’t obvious that Avery’s antic were affecting Turco’s play”

161. gary b says:

now that’s how you start a period.

162. slipper says:

@Jonathon:: That about sums up my feelings, aswell.

163. Jonathan says:

These callups, 4th line types, and Erik Cole look pretty good.

Plus, of course, Dwayne Roloson.

Thank goodness they didn’t callup Potulny earlier.

165. Bruce says:

Great shift leading up tp the 4-1 goal. Oilers won a lot of battles in the Caps’ zone, which is the best place to protect a lead that I can think of.

166. slipper says:

This is some heavy AHL call-up production. I’m used to writing these types of guys off by their third NHL shift.

167. docweb says:

Is it just me or does Steady Steve feed Ladi a steady stream of pucks in the skates, behind,etc??

168. Lord Bob says:

You cannot stop Steve Macintyre, you can only hope to contain him.

169. slipper says:

What I meant to say is: Who the hell needs Stortini anyways?

And I imagine someone down in Springfield will confiscate Schremp’s shoelaces in a timely matter. The boy probably shouldn’t be left unattended for the immediate future.

170. Black Dog says:

All part of the learning process for Ladi, docweb.

Staios making him work for it.

Yowza!

And Ty you were right on the Shoppers, just down the road.’

Of course I lived here for four years before I noticed it ;)

171. Jonathan says:

Thanks for that ;)

172. bookie says:

I just got in and found out that Mac got a GOAL. That’s awesome. I dont know if the guy will play more than 20 games in the league, but I am happy that he got the chance to score a goal!

173. danny says:

Be careful guys. This is the part they suck you back in… shortly hereafter they will lose listless affairs against teams they desperately need to beat.

Rinse. Wash. Repeat.

174. Tyler says:

After I posted that Pat, I realized that there’s one next to the subway station by my place too.

Vic could very well be watching us all.

175. Jonathan says:

It’s much more fun to watch these guys when they’re winning.

I’ll save realism for later.

176. Coach pb9617 says:

When Potulny gets sent out, will they recall Schremp?

177. Black Dog says:

That’s who’s been sitting in that sedan outside my house.

!

Horcoff is such a pussy – only 18 minutes of icetime so far and he has the flu?

Joni would have played the whole 60!

178. Bruce says:

Erik Cole is impressing the shit out of me. Again.

179. Coach pb9617 says:

You try to overcome the limitations the good Orr gave you. Steve’s limitation is that the puck looks like a bouncing betty on his stick.

180. DeBakey says:

When Potulny gets sent out, will they recall Schremp?

God, I hope so
    They need him

The way Potulney is playing
    Nilsson gotta be wondering

181. Bank Shot says:

Horcoff is such a pussy – only 18 minutes of icetime so far and he has the flu?

Looks better then back spasm Horcoff thats for sure.

Jonathon: Yeah, TSN has a good, probably best broadcast team. Do they even have a “B” crew? It doesn’t seem like they do double headers often.

182. Derek says:

” The puck looks like a talking gargoyle to Grebs all of the time, but there are other reasons for that. “

lol, there have been a few strange flashbacks for old Grebeshkov tonight.

Brule gets the gate on a retaliation hit to Laich in the final 5 minutes of the game, while in the offensive zone with the top line no less. Coach will not like that.

183. Bruce says:

Jurcina, Morrisonn, Erskine and Schultz — the Caps have four huge defencemen. None of them seem to be able to handle Cole, though.

184. Jonathan says:

Bank Shot: Yeah, they do dbl-headers quite a bit; I just don’t usually watch the EC game.

185. quain says:

Potulny is pretty good and I’d like to see him stay up, when we’re healthy, to play on the fourth line. A lot of jump and not an awful player.

186. Scott says:

This is great! LT’s going to get sucked back in yet. Brule has been one exciting guy tonight. Being physical is big for him in order to keep his spot long term. Also, if the Oilers can manage to get through this game without allowing a PP goal will it be the first time they’ve made it two straight games this year?

187. gary b says:

Our
    Schremp

Send in your donation now to the SOS Fund, and receive a one-of-a-kind star-spangled banana hammock. Wear it proudly, or display it on your car antenna!

188. Bank Shot says:

Way to jinx it Scott.

189. Scott says:

So yeah. Nevermind about that.

190. Bruce says:

Great play by Grebs but Cogliano didn’t make it over to the boards to finish the job.

Quinn, with a classic line that you hear about 25 times a season when the trailing team scores to make it 4-2: “The Caps cut the lead in half” … uhh, they cut a 3-goal lead to a 2-goal lead. Nice math.

191. slipper says:

I kinda want to see every bubble prospect in the system called up ahead of Schremp now.

By the end of the year I want to see a second line composed of McDonald, Sesito and Trukhno… fuck that, I want three “scoring lines” with the third made up of Corzanni, Rohlfs and Paukovich; all of them will be scoring at a PPG clip and before each puck drop SaM Gagner will come out in an elf costume and announce into the PA: Merry Fucking Christmas Sugar Tits, hey Rob, go getch yor fucking shine box!!!

192. Bruce says:

What in the hell was Souray thinking there? Pointless icing.

193. Black Dog says:

I can’t believe MacIntyre scored.

He’s just like Rudy!

Rudy! Rudy! Rudy!

‘I’ve been waiting for this moment all of my life’

194. Jonathan says:

You can tell when Roli’s feeling cocky when he wants to score the goal.

195. gary b says:

SKOL!

196. Black Dog says:

that’s some classic shit slipper

197. hunter1909 says:

If Schremp was playing Oilers would have won 10-1.

slipper: Classic. Absolutely piss my pants funny. Jesus.

199. quain says:

Lord. Horcoff with 22:45 of ice time, our next highest forward was Cole at 18:25.

We need a veteran center before MacTavish kills him.

200. hunter1909 says:

Oilers should just become a permanent Eastern Conference road team.

Newer Comments »