Sabres at Oilers, G47/08-09

This is an actual photo from a SCF game in 1975. The Flyers won it all despite the fact that goals were scored on Bernie Parent that he simply didn’t see (and I’m not lying). It was terrible, but the old Buffalo Auditorium had problems with late spring games added to heat and humidity. There was also a bat killing but we don’t have time for that right now.

The Sabres get screwed over more than any team in the NHL. Just ask Lindy Ruff. He and Darcy Regier have been together so long they’re beginning to look like each other (this happens with married couples apparently but I’ve been waiting for 25 years to see signs of improvement and am still on the outside looking in).

Anyway, Regier was drafted by the Oakland Seals so gets a free pass.

The Oilers finished up with authority as the first half ended and would do well to get off to a fast start as the season continues tonight. JF Jacques is back practicing, Sam Gagner has a bum wheel and Liam Reddox is back from the Falcons as a reminder that God hates Rob Schremp.

If you have some free time today zip over to Mudcrutch’s site where Dennis, Bruce and Scott have formed the most powerful Canadian trio since Rush. A 4-part series on who’s zooming who may be the best thing yet and offers some pleasant surprises.

We’re out of the fog. Hockey’s back in town.

346 Responses to "Sabres at Oilers, G47/08-09"

Newer Comments »
  1. Swabbubba says:

back to hockey that matters. When is Pies back? The Sabres depends on Ryan Miller which one shows up. We play like we were before the break I would say we should win 3-1

2. Black Dog says:

I remember that series and cheering for Les Sabres and their moustaches and sideburns against the Flyers and their moustaches and sideburns.

God hates Rob Schremp?

I think She hates Les Sabres more.

3. HBomb says:

36 games left in the regular season. Sitting at 51 points through 46 games.

By my math, if I post a link to the YouTube’d “Private Eyes” video 22 times between now and midnight on Saturday, April 11th, the Oilers will be in the dance, hopefully in sixth spot (avoiding Detroit, San Jose and Chicago in the first round).

I think they can do it. A veteran center wouldn’t hurt though. Neither would the 2009 equivalents of Curtis Glencross and Jan Hejda.

4. Sean says:

What do you guys think for a second line assuming Gagner isnt playing?

78-13-26?

Reddox might get that LW spot again.

5. HBomb says:

Just say no to Liam Reddox in the top six. Ever.

Unless, of course, we’re talking about the Falcons.

6. Matt N says:

I would feel much better about Potulny or Brule in that role.

7. Dennis says:

I imagine JFJ was just keeping a spot warm in practice because they’d have to activate him if he’s to play tonight and I imagine they’ll use their conditioning option on him before he sees the light of NHL day.

Then again, why wasn’t the likely guy to draw in – 43 – practicing on that 4th line?

Is he banged up as well?

Results have been hard to come by but the puck’s going in the right direction when 89′s afoot. We’re gonna be thin if he’s gone for tonight or any extended period of time.

We’ll need some major chem from 13-26 and one of 12 or 78 to be able to round them out.

8. Sean says:

Oh ya 12 is back, 5 days without hockey is too long…

9. oilerdago says:

Sean’s line combo works for me (78-13-26), but will MacT trust Pouliot on this line.

BTW LT – read the serious on mc79 and I’ve been saying since last summer why not try Pouliot on the PK. He got some time on that duty in the 06-07 season and did not look out of place then either.

Will never forget watching the original “Fog Game” in Buffalo. I absolutely hated the Flyers and was bummed when they finally pulled it out. But it was a lot of fun to try and watch it.

10. quain says:

According to TSN, Souray got the day off after the All Star Game, so Strudwick drew in as the sixth defender and SMac/JFJ were the practicing fourth line forwards with Brodziak.

11. Scott says:

God hates Rob Schremp?

I think She hates Les Sabres more.

Schremp is from northern New York. Pat Kane’s growth spurts never came, Marchant’s hands of stone. And then there’s the tragicomic early 90s Bills. God hates northern New York.

12. Scott says:

Neither would the 2009 equivalents of Curtis Glencross and Jan Hejda.

I see you’ve heard that J.F. Jacques is practicing with the team.

13. Coach pb9617 says:

Still no Fernie on the ice. That’s pretty worrisome.

14. Lord Bob says:

I support a line of Erik Cole, Dustin Penner, and Jean-Francois Jacques.

Why? ’cause it would be fun.

15. Coach pb9617 says:

I’m really hoping that Dennis and Bruce and…Scott’s work on mc’s site will put to rest the arguments about our glorious fatass once and for all.

Also, Moreau is worse than I previously thought. Poor Cogs. Poor Pouliot.

16. Lord Bob says:

And he’d be twice as good if he weren’t so bloody fat!

17. Coach pb9617 says:

And he’d be twice as good if he weren’t so bloody fat!

And if MacT hadn’t lost the room.

18. Traktor says:

Bruce or one of the stats guys:

How is it possible that Horcoff leads the team in scoring chances generated per 60 yet he’s 9th! among regulars in points per 60?

I know he doesn’t have the greatest finish to start with and he’s shooting % is down this year but I still don’t see how that’s possible.

19. Coach pb9617 says:

Kill time at work while waiting for Schremp not to play:

No google you cheaters!

Can you name the NHL Team All-Time Points Leaders?

I missed one. A friend missed four and another friend was trying to type in this year’s scoring leaders.

20. Coach pb9617 says:

Dammit Doogie, click on the link!

21. MattM says:

That’s a good one Coach. I only missed the Devils.

22. quain says:

Here’s a weird stat:

Hemsky has 14 goals this season, of those 14 goals 12 have come from even strength and 2 from the powerplay.

That seems like an absurd split to me.

Also interesting: He has a .107, .107, .109 SH% in the three previous seasons, but has a pretty good shot. I’m surprised it’s so low.

23. Doogie2K says:

Oh, I thought those were the answers, and we weren’t supposed to click until we had them all. My bad.

Still, I think the Canadian teams were pretty low-hanging fruit.

24. Coach pb9617 says:

And yet you couldn’t grab one of those low-hanging fruit :)

25. quain says:

Player – ESGF – ES Points – PTS/GF

Horcoff – 30 – 18 – 0.60
    Hesmky – 26 – 21 – 0.81
    Cole – 21 – 16 – 0.76
    Cogliano – 21 – 19 – 0.90
    Nilsson – 17 – 6 – 0.35
    Gagner – 24 – 13 – 0.54
    Penner – 29 – 19 – 0.66

Hemsky is just a point hog. What a meanface.

26. quain says:

I don’t feel ashamed for not knowing David Vyborny, David Legwand, or John MacLean. Okay, maybe Legwand a little.

You shouldn’t feel ashamed, Rick Nash passed Vyborny last week. In fact, I had to hear about it sixteen times on the broadcast.

27. Doogie2K says:

I thought Nash had the record by this point, but I couldn’t think of who the previous guy could be. Soon as I saw the name I smacked my forehead, but there’s no way I’m coming up with that on my own.

28. rider guy says:

89 is out “up to two weeks” according to The Journal’s website.

No word yet if they’re bringing anybody up to replace him.

HF must be going crazy with guys screaming to call up Schremp.

29. Unleaded says:

Still no Fernie on the ice. That’s pretty worrisome.

@ Coach

Joanne Ireland seems to beleive that Pies is back on the ice, as of yesterday. Not a full practice mind you, but… it’s definitely moving in the right direction.

Does running 43-51-33 seem like a bad plan to anyone else? What are the odds that 33 and 43 see a combined 10 minutes tonight and we see 51 out there with a number of others tonight? Anyone have a guess about his TOI total for the night?

30. quain says:

iJoanne Ireland seems tobeleive that Pies is back on the ice, as of yesterday. Not a full practice mind you, but… it’s definitely moving in the right direction.

There’s a clip on the Oilers site, interviewing Pisani, where he talks about skating without equipment and says he’s in Week 10 of what is a 10-12 week recovery, so he’s right on target.

31. quain says:

And, having just checked the main site again: Stortini is probable.

I don’t understand the human body at all.

Cogliano is on the second line, Reddox is playing center on the third line.

32. Lord Bob says:

Good quiz, coach. I only got 22 of 30, and I feel shame for a lot of those eight: I missed Buffalo, Carolina, Florida, New Jersey, the New York Rangers, Philadelphia, Phoenix, and St. Louis.

To be fair, for Carolina and Phoenix, I was screwed up for a bit until I realised they were including the Whalers and Jets. That’s my excuse and I’m sticking to it. But there’s no excuse for missing the Canes or the Rags.

33. Coach pb9617 says:

LB,

I missed the Rags too. For the life of me I couldn’t get that name. I could see him, got his linemates, but couldn’t coax his name out of my brain.

34. Coach pb9617 says:

Penner – Horcoff – Hemsky
    Nilsson – Cogliano – Cole
    Moreau – Reddox – Pouliot
    Strudwick – Brodziak – Stortini

Poor Pouliot. Poor, poor Pouliot.

JIM DOWD WHY HAVE YOU FORSAKEN US?!

35. Dennis says:

There’s no doubt I can be an alarmist but this doesn’t sound good for 89. Sounds like the kind of thing where they shut a guy down for a couple of weeks before then announcing he’s having surgery and is done for the season.

The heat is now:

- on 13 to find the chem with 26
    - on 12 or 78 being able to round out that troika.
    - on Tambelini to find a soft min centre to take 89′s place if Gagner isn’t due to come back this season.

36. Coach pb9617 says:

Cogliano can do that work fine id Tambellini would just break down and trade for Jim Dowd.

37. HBomb says:

Can you say “Doug Weight rental”?

38. Doogie2K says:

Oddly enough, I got him about halfway through the quiz. Washington took for-Goddamned-ever; I literally had him at the last second. Boston took surprisingly long, too.

Chin up, LB: St. Loo was the most-missed of all. Philly is a shame, but St. Loo probably isn’t; he was my third or fourth guess.

39. Scott says:

Dennis:
    Cogs can be the soft minute guy if we find the elusive checking line center.

40. Doogie2K says:

And now I’m going to delete all my posts with spoilers and re-post the remaining contents:

And neatly landing Calgary, in all likelihood, instead. I can’t tell yet if that’s a good or bad thing (probably bad).

Actually, I’d guess that’s pretty much your answer.

And yet you couldn’t grab one of those low-hanging fruit :)

That would be because I confused the goals record with the points record (and Lord knows I heard enough about it at the time). I who knew it was initially, I just figured he had been passed by now.

I don’t feel ashamed for not knowing Columbus, Nashville, or NJ. Okay, maybe Nashville a little.

41. DeBakey says:

Joanne Ireland seems to believe that Pies is back on the ice

She also seems to believe Spacek played with Pronger during the Playoff & Cup runs.

So, who knows?
    Beliefs are funny things.

Maybe Tambo can make a deal so that the currently healthy
    Tim Connolly doean't leave town with the rest of the Sabres.

42. Scott says:

I embarrassingly missed both NYI and BOS (I typed in Orr and Esposito about ten times each). I couldn’t wrap my head around a defenseman other than Orr possibly being on the list. The others I missed I can attribute to my age (24): Chicago (but still should have got it), St Louis, New Jersey, New York Rangers and the Coyotes/Jets.

43. Scott says:

The NYI one brings the most shame, I just couldn’t get his name.

I happened to watch one of the ten greatest games DVDs the other day and they kept talking about Smith and Potvin and Bossy and I couldn’t get those three names out of my head long enough to focus.

44. Black Dog says:

missed Columbus, Florida and Washington

three franchises that shouldn’t exist

oh well

if Gagner is out for a while then Cogs is the answer on the soft minutes line

Where’s Jim Dowd/Joel Otto/Bob Pulford when you need him?

45. Lord Bob says:

Missing Philadelphia I don’t feel too bad about, actually. I have this thing where I always think of that particular player for what he did after his playing days; a product of my generation, I guess. I came to terms with that a long time ago.

46. DeBakey says:

I think Bob Pulford is phucking up his Condo Board in Chicago.
    I’m not sure what the other two are doing.

47. Scott says:

BD:

Pierre McGuire said Riley Nash plays like Joel Otto… problem solved.

But Robert Nilsson is actually a Junior B player, so we have to release him.

48. Doogie2K says:

@BD: Washington shouldn’t exist?

49. Traktor says:

What I don’t understand is why Brodziak or Pouliot hasn’t been tried yet at 3C?

If you don’t trust the players then ship them for a player you do trust.

Spending 100′s of games developing Reasoner clones makes zero sense when we could get one tomorrow for a 3rd round pick.

I remember about 3 weeks ago MacTavish was interviewed about Brule. I think it was one of Brule’s first games with the big club and he was going to be playing on the 4th line. Anyways, MacT was asked if Brule has a chance to move up and fill a hole on the 2nd line. MacTavish replied with “If he looks dynamic on the 4th line then we might give him a look on the 2nd line.” That seems like backwards thinking on MacTavish’s part.

I’m seeing some of the same stuff in regards to Pouliot and Brodziak. It’s like they have to prove they can handle more responsibility without actually every getting more responsibility.

Too much fucking around when you could just give a player a legit audition and know one way or another. If it doesn’t work then cut bait and move on. Too much developmental time is being wasted on dime a dozen assets.

50. Steve says:

I got 22 out of 30 (I actually only got 21, but I’m awarding myself the one for Washington because I kept leaving the second E out of his first name), availing myself fully of the hints and answers present in this thread. For Los Angeles, I kept thinking I must somehow be misspelling “Robitaille”, but I guess I’m pretty dumb.

Besides that, the ones I feel dumb about missing are Carolina, Florida, and San Jose.

Turns out there’s a reason I’m just a (sporadic and unhelpful) commenter, rather than an actual blogger.

51. Black Dog says:

scott – beauty

doogie – oh yeah

Washington, Florida, Tampa, Carolina, Columbus, Phoenix, Anaheim (sorry Earl), New Jersey, Nashville, Atlanta.

And the Islanders and Kings on notice.

Add a team in southern Ontario.

21 team league.

52. relic says:

BD, before you get too crazy with that axe, you want to boot a team back to the ‘peg (since you’re calling the shots now :P)

53. Bruce says:

Bruce or one of the stats guys:

Traktor: Whaaddya mean “or”? I is one of the stats guys. Since birth.

A very good question, to which part of the answer is that SC are counted in the same way as +/- in that they measure everybody on the ice, not just those involved in the play. Thus there are inherent weaknesses, nonetheless players can assist with SCF and most particularly, excel at preventing SCA without necessarily scoring a lot of points. I think it’s safe to say Horcoff excels without the puck period, which can be seen in team stats like scoring chance differential when he’s on the ice, shots differential, and, lest we forget, GF/GA differential, where Horc leads the club at +8.

As it happens, I’ve been doing a little background research on Horcoff today, and noted that very EVP/60 stat that you cite, among many other things, most of which support the position that Shawn Horcoff is a helluva hockey player. I will shortly have a new, and long overdue, post on Oil Droppings to sing his praises.

54. Alice says:

/Add a team in southern Ontario./

I thought there Was a team in southern Ontario – no?

55. Scott says:

I thought there Was a team in southern Ontario – no?

Yeah, but Black Dog wants one his kids could cheer for in good conscience.

56. Bruce says:

Hey look kids! There’s Big Ben! There’s Parliament! And there’s Prime Minister Horcoff!!

57. quain says:

Yeah, but has he ever scored 40 goals in a season? No? Then how can he possibly help his team win games.

58. Phil says:

Whether this team is out of the fog or not is debatable, but what I sincerely hope is that the players themselves don’t think that they are. They may be winning a bit more, but their overall play is nowhere near good enough for even a slight let up – let’s not forget that outside of Hemsky’s heroics, they played a largely uninspired game vs. CBJ. If 83 has a 2 point night instead of 4, then this game day thread would be all about how the team is still mired in mediocrity.

As a fan, I’ve seen this team do the 2-steps-forward-1.9-steps-back dance for the better part of forever, and I want to see something different. A team that comes out hungry tonight, thinking that they haven’t accomplished anything yet, would be a nice change. A team that can stretch this 3 game streak into 5 or 6 would be really nice.

If 96 points guarantees a playoff spot, that means they need a 22-13-1 finish. There’s a lot of good hockey to be played yet.

59. hypogeal says:

Greetings from Buffalo!

I’ve been an avid reader of this blog since last summer and have decided to post today so I can avoid all the locals who think I’m crazy for being an Oil fan over a Sabres fan. First off, let me heap some thanks and praise on LT for this great blog. I’ve loved the Oilers since the 80′s but detailed news of them has always been tough to come by around here. My knowledge of the team has grown 100x since I’ve started reading this blog… not to mention that it’s just entertaining writing too. Well done LT, thanks much!

Some thoughts for tonight:

The Sabres already soft defense is banged up right now, Numminen, Talinder, and Sekera (a quality young dman) are all injured. Hopefully the Oiler forwards can take advantage of that, I’d especially like to see Penner work the front of the net tonight, as beyond Rivet the Sabres defense is pretty soft.

If I’m not mistaken, this will be Jaro’s first trip back to Edmonton since the ’06 run. He’s played solid here and currently carries a cap hit of 3.33. He’d sure look great in place of Staios’ 2.7 right now wouldn’t he?

Jochen Hecht will also be returning to Edmonton tonight. Hecht served as Sabres captain for a time and has been a reliable sort of fellow. However his cap hit is 3.5(!), so think on that before any of you complain about Pisani making too much for his role!

Ryan Miller, for all his hype, is only a bit better than an average goalie. Starting next year he makes 6.25. If the Oilers go after someone in the offseason to serve as a true #1 goalie I hope it doesn’t end up as crazy as that Miller contract.

Thomas Vanek is really becoming a very nice hockey player. For all the seething anger that Sabres fans had towards Lowe for that offer sheet a couple years ago, I haven’t heard a peep in recent times. Vanek’s hit is 7.1, and that may end up as a bargain by the time he peaks (he just turned 25 last week).

An earlier post mentioned a desire to bring Tim Connolly to the Oil… Tim is a good guy and a wizard with the puck, but his health is even less reliable than guys like Gaborik or Havlat. He’ll be 28 in May and already has a long history of concussions and other injuries, not to mention he tends to get way too cute with the puck sometimes. I think the last thing Edmonton needs is another smallish, soft, puck-wiz type who seems to have trouble finding the net. Personally I think the best fit for the Oilers would be Ales Kotalik, a guy with good size and a very nice shot. He’s a UFA after this season… think there’s room for two guys named Ales in Edmonton?

Enjoy the game tonight, and thanks to all the posters for such great threads… it really helps kill the time at work!

60. LMHF#1 says:

Vanek-Connolly-Hemsky
    ????-Horcoff-Cole

I would’ve been so happy. Especially for that question mark dude.

61. hypogeal says:

@LMHF:

Connolly has never been a 1st line center, he would be a poor fit there and a waste of Hemsky’s talent… although Hemsky and Vanek might be fine on their own actually.

Another fun fact… Marty Sakic’s hometown is Honeoye Falls, NY… just about an hour from Buffalo.

62. Coach pb9617 says:

Listening to NHL Live, Jim Dowd is looking for a job.

63. Black Dog says:

There’s no NHL team in Southern Ontario, no.

I’d be happy with a team in Winnipeg, goodbye Islanders.

Bob Pulford too, coach.

64. hunter1909 says:

Oilers with that 4 headed puck rushing sensational defence.

65. hunter1909 says:

I really have to hand it the Oilers, with a legitimate 4 puck defence, it makes those putrid forwards look 100% better just for all of the chances they get to bungle the puck around.

I have a question for the group. Why do people keep posting old links? I understand the new ones and in fact read them but it’s getting a bit Cal Clutterbuck.

Before I delete a bunch, what’s the reason?

67. Coach pb9617 says:

Are people posting them or are they trackbacks?

68. Coach pb9617 says:

They aren’t trackbacks. Looks like some people are trying to attract some readership to their blogs via your commentors.

They jockin’ you son!

What’s a trackback?

70. bookie says:

hypogeal – thanks for the insights on Buffalo. I dont pay much attention as they are not exactly regular visitors to Edmonton.

Coach: I’m okay with that, this is a great bunch and if people want their stuff read go for it.

What I don’t understand is the old posts linked. Seems to me if you have something new, post it. But this Jambalaya fellow seems to post all of his stuff everytime. It’s a bit cluttery and I’d like to keep it clean so as not to miss the new stuff.

Does any of this make sense?

72. Lord Bob says:

Interesting news: Jason Smith is a healthy scratch tonight.

I have to admit, I’d take him over Jason Strudwick in a heartbeat. And I bet we could get him for, like, nothing.

73. Traktor says:

He’s making 2.6 this year and next.

Too much for a 3rd pairing guy.

There, that’s better. Okay, new rule. Anyone who has a new item should be able to post it and I’m going to keep Jonathan’s because it’s really good and people who haven’t read it should zip over.

I think that’s fair, right?

75. Cammo says:

does anyone have a link to tonights game. i’m out of the country but would like to tune in. thanks

76. bookie says:

LT- maybe I am an idiot, but where are the links you are talking about? In the blog comments?

77. Mark-Ryan says:

Lord Bob: Washington tried to get Ovechkin out against 21 last spring for a reason: He kind of sucks these days.

Another year at 2.6 million for a guy who gets scratched by crap teams and gets lit up in super soft minutes – no thanks.

bookie: It’s under links to this post right below.

79. Coach pb9617 says:

Does any of this make sense?

Yeah, and I don’t mind new and good stuff. Old, shitty and old shitty stuff is really annoying and should be purged forever, like Ethan Moreau.

80. bookie says:

Here is a link to the game (I think)

81. kris says:

20% bad luck
    20% playing against tougher opposition like Pronger
    60% Faceoffs in his own zone

If you think his points/60 or goals/60 shows he isn’t good, take a look at his numbers from last year. He lead the team in both categories, and his points/60 then, (2.59) was higher than Hemmer’s (2.53) this year.

82. bookie says:

Games can also ussually be found here.

It looks like there is an Oil link there, but I have not tried it.

83. Cammo says:

@ bookie

cheers. the link seems to work

84. kris says:

LT: I don’t see any comments from Jonathon here at all.

Which of us is off our crazy meds? (Hint: it’s usually me.)

kris: Jonathan writes the outstanding Copper & Blue blog along with his terrific work at ON.

86. kris says:

Uh, okay I knew that. I think I get it; you mean links to this site from other sites, not vice versa?

Never mind me, I’m a fool about links, etc. I just learned to italicize

87. Bruce says:

Seems fair. The link to my new post doesn’t appear, but no worries, it generated lots of traffic. Sorry LT, I don’t like to do that too often but today it seemed on topic. As for Copper and Blue, I had no idea he was back in buisness except I came across an end-of-thread link such as this and clicked on it, so that time the feature did what it was supposed to. You might want it to link to Jonathan’s newest post though.

88. goldenchild says:

That cant be good

89. Duke Phillips says:

Hey, look at that, it’s 2-0 already.

(grabs bottle of scotch)

90. kris says:

Put Garon in.

Oh crap.

91. hunter1909 says:

Oilers lull the Sabres with a 2-0 goal lead.

92. hunter1909 says:

2 goals on 3 shots lol

93. goldenchild says:

Duke what kind of scotch?

94. Schitzo says:

Is anyone else able to get the Bell HD feed? This is ugly in every sense of the word.

95. Bruce says:

Well, the Sabress showed up ready to play after the break. Mauybe we should try that some year.

Fuck.

96. Derek says:

Goddamn that allstar break.

“We didn’t have our legs.”

“You can’t get yourself in a hole like that against a good team like this one.”

“By the time we got things together it was too much to overcome. We need to have a better start.”

Anything else from the postgame?

98. Bruce says:

Hemsky brings the puck over his own blueline with two Sabres trapped in the zone, then Brodziak wins the faceoff cleanly into Staios’s corner. Oops. Two mistakes, two goals.

Stafford’s was a snipe but Roli looked like a busher on that second one.

99. Coach pb9617 says:

Old, shitty and old shitty stuff

The Oilers right defense is old, shit and old shitty stuff tonight.

100. PDO says:

What the?

Jeez.

Hemsky looks like crap out there. Brutal mistake on the first goal, and he’s already got three giveaways…

Amazing bad luck that the puck Horcoff batted out of the air right after the TO didn’t find mesh.

101. Bruce says:

Earth to Steady Steve: vacation’s over.

102. Coach pb9617 says:

That wasn’t on Hemmer. That was Lubo panicking and throwing that bad boards pass. That got pokechecked from Hemsky as he tried to gain possession of that prayer from Lubo. Watch it again.

103. hunter1909 says:

Defence starting to get in gear. Smid takes the puck deeper, after his stint at LW.

104. Derek says:

The good news is we shouldn’t see too many crazy mistakes from Grebby tonight, Staios is playing like he ingested every single hallucinogenic agent the entire city of Edmonton could muster up.

Atleast he remembers to lay down on the ice in front of shooters.

105. Duke Phillips says:

goldenchild: I’m not picky – I’ll drink any brand of booze which makes me forget that I cheer for the most frustrating hockey team on earth.

106. PDO says:

Can Penner PLEASE bury one of those? He’s had three now FFS.

107. kris says:

Awful foggy again.

108. PDO says:

Fucking brutal.

109. hunter1909 says:

The crowd sounds into the game.

3-0

Now in goal: Ken Dryden. That’s Dryden.

111. Bruce says:

Coach: Yeah, it was a good check by the crafty Derek Roy, who checked Ales’s stick rather than contacting the puck (which would have put it offside).

I still don’t understand how one team can be rusty and the other loaded for bear.

Still, we haven’t gotten one freaking bounce yet, or it could easily be 2-1. Lots of time left.

sigh

Of course it would help if the goalie could stop one once in awhile. Fucking brutal.

112. PDO says:

Well, I think Roli just canceled out his performance against SJS.

113. hunter1909 says:

My fingers grow weary trying to say positives tonight.

114. Ian says:

Good Lord, that was brutal.

I have given up on the Oilers. I am now declaring my allegiance for the Ässät of the SM-liiga. GO ÄSSÄT

115. goldenchild says:

Not to be an alarmist but the last 2 Rolie starts dont exactly leave you with a warm an tingly feeling.

116. NBOilerFan says:

My god this team likes drama…

117. PDO says:

Well. I guess we can hope for a PP goal here and go from there.

… why was that blown down? It was a deflected puck, Buffalo never had possession.

118. Bruce says:

Looking at the replay there, Reddox had a chance to finish the check on Roy deep in the Sabre end, missed him completely, then got left in Roy’s contrails as he lollygagged on the backcheck.

That’s just a mismatch between an NHL star and an AHL plugger.

119. PDO says:

What’s the thing standing in front of the net wearing a slug on it’s chest? We keep shooting, but the puck keeps like, hitting it, and then the whistle is blown.

It would be a nice idea to get one here.

121. goldenchild says:

Their goalie seems to be able to get his body in front of the puck, our guy should try that too.

122. PDO says:

I’m blaming Roloson before anyone. Game could easily be 0-0.

We’ll be bringing out the negative GDT whip A-SAP!

124. PDO says:

Did Penner stop juggling over the break? He could have a hatty tonight with ANY finish.

125. kris says:

Stortini is my new favorite player. He has changed since his accident. Just you watch.

126. PDO says:

So, if Roli was playing for Buffalo and we had Miller in net tonight…

We’re up what, 4-0?

Sigh….

Staios has that nice move where he rings it around the boards. Haven’t seen him do that many times but it’s sure effective.

128. Kristopher Milligan says:

You sure are reaching LT

129. Derek says:

While each of those goals were saveable, there was no need for two of them to happen!

The first two were lazy/dumb plays by the defense, and the third the sabres forward blew past a winger that was standing still for a chance alone on net.

You gotta spread the blame around a bit I would think.

130. PDO says:

I’m open to spreading the blame around… but not when the goals are that bad. That’s 05-06 bad. No excuse for Roloson to let in ANY of those, never mind all 3.

131. PDO says:

So, Oilers win 6-4?

132. DeBakey says:

Mike Brophy doesn’t blame Roloson

Comforting

133. Schitzo says:

Most dangerous lead in hockey

134. Ichiro says:

elsewhere, the bluejackets are zipping up their brand new leather playoff mojo jackets. and commodore swears to grow a bigger beard than the one in carolina or calgary, now with a leather bathrobe to top it all off.

135. Bank Shot says:

It’s easy to blame the defence, but on the first goal there was no support at all for Visnovsky. He got pursued by two Buffalo players down to the hashmarks and there wasn’t one Oiler forward on their own side of the red line.

It was just poor execution all around, and despite a couple decent scoring chances later on, the Sabres still penetrated the slot more times on their three goals then the Oilers did in the period.

Would be nice to see the Oilers solve one of their handful of persistent problems by season’s end, but they just continue to repeat the same mistakes.

Maybe time for another trade.

136. Bruce says:

PDO: That’s one way of looking at it. I thought Penner had a real strong period, with 5 shots on goal and a couple of narrow misses. He’s battling and bringing the puck into the goal mouth, just has nothing to show for it. Yet.

Oilers fired 30 shots at Buffalo’s net that period, half of them by Souray and Penner.

137. Dennis says:

That was absolute shit from Rolii. He was way too close to the post on the Stafford goal and that should only go in if it’s up high. I’ll give him a bit of a pass on the 2nd goal because even though that was a weak shot the Oil shouldn’t be letting guys shoot from there anyway.

The third was a good opp but for fucksakes you need to make at least one save. I have Roli giving up three goals on five opps and like GC alluded to, he was close to shit in the wins over Phx and CBJ as well.

Chances: I had the Oilers leading 11-6; 7-6 at EV and 4-0 at ST.

Anecdotal: The Oil did a lot of nice things in the O zone and 27 was setting up screens at will. This should bode well. Yet another GAON for 18 and once upon a time I was too tough on 12, then I was really impressed and now the act’s worn thin again.

Oh, and anyone else worried that we dealt away our netminding depth for a 4th round pick and another AHL vet?

138. Lord Bob says:

Let’s see how a goalie looks!

He has two arms! Two legs! He’s just like us!

I don’t even know what I’m saying!

139. Bruce says:

Poor Pouliot. Poor, poor Pouliot.

Pouliot: 4:25 TOI, -2

140. Fake Craig McTavish says:

Horcoff will save us all.

141. Dennis says:

Also wanted to throw a couple of things in.

- 27 had an excellent frame.

- 83 was being given LW duty with 18-78 at period’s end. Anyone else notice that?

142. Doogie2K says:

Actually, guys, this is all my fault. I tried watching a game for the first time since Sundin’s debut, and…yeah. I almost turned it off after the second goal, but decided to wait it out until I finished folding laundry, and was almost rewarded for it. Then the play came down the ice, and that was it for both Roli’s and my nights.

Time to go watch Burn Notice or Jeeves and Wooster or something on DVD.

143. reijo29 says:

Was first Buffalo goal not offside? Thought the puck came out and Oiler knocked it back in with 2 Sabres in O Zone.

144. Bruce says:

Yet another GAON for 18

Moreau: 4:39 TOI, -2

145. Ian says:

GO ÄSSÄT!

146. reijo29 says:

Brutal. Come on Cole. I’m turning game off (still going to PVR though) hope the boys come back, not optimistic.

147. PDO says:

We should NOT be down 4-0.

This is unbelievably frustrating. Going by Dennis here, Buffalo has scored on 4/7 chances, while the Oilers are 0/11… and that’s not including that mini flurry we had to start the 2nd.

148. Bruce says:

83 was being given LW duty with 18-78 at period’s end. Anyone else notice that?

Yeah, I did notice that, MacT gonged Reddox for the last shift just before the buzzer.

Man, Derek Roy is a handful. This is starting to remind me of the Chicago game.

149. Bank Shot says:

Don’t worry the Oilers will get it back with point shots from outside the house, and some drives to the outside followed by shovelling it towards the crease!

150. PDO says:

The Oilers have come close to a miracle comeback twice this season, @ Pitt and vs. Detroit.

Maybe they pull it off this time?

151. Phil says:

I knew that wishing for a team that wasn’t resting on it’s massive three-game-win-streak laurels was too much to ask for.

I have never seen a MacT coached Oiler team that doesn’t do this – get a little momentum, win a few, and then forget to put their skates on.

152. Bruce says:

Reijo29: Nice handle. The key is that an Oiler put it back into our zone, which legalized the offside Sabres. Roy checked Hemsky’s stick but never touched the puck.

153. PunjabiOil says:

Minnesota, Columbus, Dallas all win.

154. Doogie2K says:

Or maybe it’s not my fault.

Whatever, I’m going to eat.

155. Bruce says:

JDD looks just awful. All over the place.

156. PDO says:

The only lead worse than a 3-0 lead is a 4-0 lead?

157. kris says:

The goals are on Rolli, but the D coverage is making MacT look bad.

158. hunter1909 says:

Moreau plays like he’s AFRAID TO GET HURT.

159. Bruce says:

See Stafford throw snow on that Zorg forecheck? We need a little more of that.

Nice to see “Strong Bones” back in the line-up a mere 2.5 weeks after what appeared to be a catastrophic injury.

160. boopronger says:

You know what? On the first goal of the game I just thought it was an excellent job of forechecking by buffalo. The d man had it with a guy right on him and his d partner had a guy blocking a pass so he does the safe play and banks it off the boards but theres another buffalo guy forchecking. Savable but i think it was more a good play by buffalo then a bad play by the Oilers.

161. hunter1909 says:

Putting the C on Moreau you might as well marry a couple of donkeys like they do in India.

162. hunter1909 says:

Oilers were so gung ho to start the post-All Star drive that they accidentally forgot to throw away their extra copy of “The Worst Lead in Hockey”, which in Section 2 Article 4 Clearly States: Give them a 2-0 Lead You cannot fail!

163. Coach pb9617 says:

Shoulda used this one:

164. Ian says:

5 on 3 for the next minute and forty-three seconds.

The comeback starts here.

165. Bruce says:

Two minutes for playing defence. I’m beginning to suspect this ain’t our night.

166. hunter1909 says:

I don’t know about you guys, but I’m really enjoying this Buffalo 2 man advantage.

167. Coach pb9617 says:

Pouliot: 4:25 TOI, -2

He’s dragging around two AHLers. What do you want?

168. Bruce says:

Coach: I was agreeing with your “poor, poor Pouliot” comment.

169. Coach pb9617 says:

Vanek 1-on-1 on Staios is about as fair as me 1-on-1 on my four year old.

170. Bruce says:

Ryan Miller may be an average NHL goaltender, but he is the best one in this game by a Country Mile.

171. Coach pb9617 says:

Coach: I was agreeing with your “poor, poor Pouliot” comment.

He should just throw his hands up like Randy Watson and walk off.

172. hunter1909 says:

The Oilers all look like Dave Semenko tonight.

173. Bruce says:

Hemsky has his head up his arse, deliberately giving the puck away on the delayed penalty when the first Buffalo penalty has already expired. That’s just poor awareness, and a wasted opportunity when the Oil had some real good pressure going.

And man did Thomas Vanek make Steady Steve look bad twice in a row, walking around him “clean as a whistle” (as Howie Meeker would say), then on the continuation just walking off the end boards and right in front without any semblance of a battle from the man in blue.

Staios looks like an old man tonight.

174. PDO says:

Usually takes an ugly one to start a comeback :)

175. kris says:

I want to be happy we scored, but I can’t overcome my apathy.

176. Bank Shot says:

Oilers get a completely uncontested shot from a high scoring area, and all of a sudden Ryan Miller is the one who doesn’t look so hot.

Funny how that works. ;p

177. Bruce says:

Bonehead penalty by Poo there. Real momentum-killer.

178. hunter1909 says:

Okay.

Nobody mention Parise.

179. hunter1909 says:

Pouliot looks like Howdy-Doody.

180. Coach pb9617 says:

Staios not only took acid, he may have taken age and arthritis this afternoon as well.

09/10: 2.7 Million
    10/11: 2.7 Million

181. Derek says:

If we’re lucky he believes in early retirement.

182. kris says:

Sabourin is my new favorite player.

183. relic says:

derek: it won’t be early, it’ll be timely…

184. Coach pb9617 says:

Stortini on the ice against Vanek with home change, and then Staios and Smid have two defenders behind them in the zone.

185. PDO says:

Frustrating loss…. everything Buffalo does ends up in the net.

186. Derek says:

relic: Timely you say? Before the homestand is over?

187. Lord Bob says:

So, which of us is going to break it to the boys that the All-Star break is over?

188. PDO says:

Oh, and as was suspected.. JDD is garbage.

189. Unleaded says:

Sooo… how bout that Sabourin…

190. relic says:

derek: if we’re lucky, before the third period.

stauffer has scoring chances at 14-?? i think he said ??=5, in favor of buffalo.

191. Alice says:

It’ll be hard to get any Buffalo guys cheap this year, the way we’re jacking their stats

192. Bruce says:

Hmmm … all 18 skaters are -1 or worse, and neither goalie was remotely ready to play hockey tonight.

Oilers had 2 hits that period. Nice to see that fighting spirit.

Shit, this is depressing.

194. Traktor says:

01/27/2009 19:00:26 BUF Sabres0.0 @ +105, $50.00 Single

Thanks for not showing up Edmonton.

195. PDO says:

If I didn’t know better, I’d say Lowetide was being facetious.

Of course, that wasn’t a word when he was born, so I must be mistaken :)

196. Dennis says:

I don’t think we can let JDD off the handle for this effort.

The game was just about lost but he’s looked terrible.

197. mjsh says:

9th place here we come!!!!!!!!!!

198. reijo29 says:

When did Columbus acquire Steve Nash? Rob Faulds is a Genius where is Evanka Osmak on a depressing night like this.

199. Oilman says:

wow – just got in from some errands and turned on the TV to see 4-0 buffalo – said “ah shit”, put my little girl to bed, walked back to the TV to see 6-1 just seconds before Spaceks goal…..so what did I miss?

200. Bruce says:

Dennis: Of all the bad signs tonight, the dreadful performance of JDD is the worst. He’s showing all the technique of an AJHL backup. He’s given up four and been lucky about four other times.

Newer Comments »