Sabres at Oilers, G47/08-09

This is an actual photo from a SCF game in 1975. The Flyers won it all despite the fact that goals were scored on Bernie Parent that he simply didn’t see (and I’m not lying). It was terrible, but the old Buffalo Auditorium had problems with late spring games added to heat and humidity. There was also a bat killing but we don’t have time for that right now.

The Sabres get screwed over more than any team in the NHL. Just ask Lindy Ruff. He and Darcy Regier have been together so long they’re beginning to look like each other (this happens with married couples apparently but I’ve been waiting for 25 years to see signs of improvement and am still on the outside looking in).

Anyway, Regier was drafted by the Oakland Seals so gets a free pass.

The Oilers finished up with authority as the first half ended and would do well to get off to a fast start as the season continues tonight. JF Jacques is back practicing, Sam Gagner has a bum wheel and Liam Reddox is back from the Falcons as a reminder that God hates Rob Schremp.

If you have some free time today zip over to Mudcrutch’s site where Dennis, Bruce and Scott have formed the most powerful Canadian trio since Rush. A 4-part series on who’s zooming who may be the best thing yet and offers some pleasant surprises.

We’re out of the fog. Hockey’s back in town.

347 Responses to "Sabres at Oilers, G47/08-09"

« Older Comments
  1. Bruce says:

Dennis: Of all the bad signs tonight, the dreadful performance of JDD is the worst. He’s showing all the technique of an AJHL backup. He’s given up four and been lucky about four other times.

2. Bruce says:

“For the Oilers, what’s the game plan?”

Step One: Remove heads from arses.

3. Oilman says:

“For the Oilers, what’s the game plan?”

Trade for Matthieu Garon?

I don’t know about blame at this point. Sometimes you just have to erase the tapes and put it out of your mind.

Or laugh about it. One of the most famous Boys on the Bus moment involved a depressing defeat to LA, rain beating down on the bus the entire team was on, and Dave Semenko breaking an awkward silence with “we’re screwed.”

5. Bank Shot says:

I don’t think we can let JDD off the handle for this effort.

The game was just about lost but he’s looked terrible.

But let’s not forget that above average tending this season has been a big contributor for keeping the Oilers afloat at 24th in the NHL for goals allowed per game.

How scary will things get if Roloson hits one of his skids that lasts 8-10 games?

6. Coach pb9617 says:

In general, yeah, but there are a couple of guys tonight that deserve to burn in effigy for their performance out of a break.

All hell with it, let’s just burn them in Edmonton!

7. Doogie2K says:

Burn Notice was good. That Westin guy sure is good at getting guys killed without killing them. Speaking of, I wonder if we’ll hit double digits tonight.

8. Dennis says:

BS: It’s at least three games and counting right now; the answer is we can’t afford for Roli to suck for that much longer because we don’t have real depth.

But we do have Ryan Stone and a 4th rounder so we’ve got that going for us.

9. Unleaded says:

I’d love to be able to make a smart remark right now to express my total frustration with this club right now. But I’m not that smart, and the they’re playing, I just don’t care.

It’s nights like these I wish I beleived in substance abuse….

10. reijo29 says:

Doogie2k:
    Wondering where your watching Burn Notice? I saw it in the US last year, didn’t know we could get it in Canada.

11. Bruce says:

Quinn: “Deslauriers trying to build a little confidence.”

Me: “Deslauriers has no fucking clue where the puck is.”

I think Sportsnet should hire me.

12. Dennis says:

I’m not complaining because I’m just scoring the rest of this game to get as close to a full set as possible but as I type this we’ve got 11 min remaining in the final period and I’ve got just four changes logged.

Speaking of logs, we’re one bad JDD start away from being Officially Netminding Fucked instead of Potentially Netminding Fucked.

13. Doogie2K says:

I don’t believe we can. The Internets, however, are a wonderful thing. ;)

14. quain says:

Burn Notice is fantastic.

Someone figure out the score if we had Ryan Smyth instead of Dustin Penner.

15. Alice says:

7-1
    Where the hell’s Gagner when you need to lay some blame?
    Shirking again, that weasel! If he was a Real Man he’d be in there taking some minuses with the rest of the fellas.

16. Lord Bob says:

Well, thank god we traded Mathieu Garon for minor leaguers, that’s all I have to say.

17. Bruce says:

Hey this is a new twistL instead of panning to the scored-against coach immediately after a goal against, they now pan to the scored-against trainer.

18. bookie says:

Oh, and as was suspected.. JDD is garbage.

Hey, to be fair Rolison was garbage first…

19. Oilman says:

Me: “Deslauriers has no fucking clue where the puck is.”

I said the exact same thing – brutal – he didn’t even look like he knew where the shot was going, total guess work there.

I think Sportsnet should hire me.

how are you at making up trade rumors?

20. Dennis says:

The Oilers have officially broken their new year’s PK diet.

Burn Notice is available on the Super Channels for those that have Bell dish gear. There’s not a lot on those channels series wise; Sons of Anarchy being a hell of an exception, of course.

21. goldenchild says:

Dennis says But we do have Ryan Stone and a 4th rounder so we’ve got that going for us.
    hahaha I know I am sleeping better at night.

Sweet Jebus, So Roli wasnt the worst goalie on the ice tonight?

22. Coach pb9617 says:

The defense on this team is just fun to watch tonight. It’s as if the entire group decided to not give a shit and Staios, try as he might, can’t even must the physical tools necessary to try to give a shit.

23. bookie says:

Really for anyone to write JDD off because of this game, you might as well just admit you are 13 years old and have no perspective. The whole team sucks, it happens. JDD may not be an NHL goalie, but this game is not going to tell you that.

He had a poor first game as well, and then played much better after.

24. Alice says:

Explain me, how do you take a hooking call up 9-1? It’s an odd planet, the blue one…

I wonder what MacT will talk about in the postgame?

26. quain says:

A bit upset that MacT isn’t giving the fourth line powerplay time. The only way to save this game is to get Stortini a PPG.

27. Ian says:

Is it possible to throw the bus under the bus?

28. Phil says:

I’ve said it before, and I’ll probably say it again, but it’s really hard to be a fan of a team that’s capable of this type of effort…

I think driving the bus over the cliff is the right play. Garon’s probably giggling like an idiot in Allentown.

30. Oilman says:

We had a guy out playing shinny with us on Friday night who played 10+ years of minor pro and was a bruins draft choice playing against us slugs….picture him wearing a Sabres jersey and it looked just like this game.

31. Lord Bob says:

Bobby Nilsson with a BIG STATEMENT GOAL!

32. Schitzo says:

I’m not inclined to go looking for it, but I remember saying exactly the same thing watching him during training camp.

Most dangerous lead in hockey!

33. goldenchild says:

You guys read that article about the Christian Girls HS BBall team in Texas that beat a team 100-0? well there was so much outrage that they ended up forfeiting the game because running up the score the way they did was “un-christian” Anybody know if Lindy Ruff is a church goer?

34. quain says:

Ahahahaha.

35. Dennis says:

BS: I’m writing him off based on his AHL stats but maybe that’s just me.

Wait, no it’s not.

I’ve got nothing against the kid but that 4th goal was basically “I have really long legs and I can spin on my ass.”

Speaking of the postgame, are there any really comp savvy guys kicking around? I used to be able to watch MacT’s postgames pressers but now I get this error message and I’m hoping some of you can help me out.

The Sabres and Pearl Jam’s debut album!

36. Oilman says:

yeah, finish strong guys, cause 9-3 wouldn’t be nearly as bad….ooops, make that 10-3….finish strong in this case might mean not giving up a dozen

37. Kyle says:

I am SO looking forward to the postgame press conference.

38. Doogie2K says:

Dammit, you’re right, I forgot about that. Same with The Closer, which is also pretty good.

how are you at making up trade rumors?

I dunno about Bruce, but I got Alex Frolov and Anze Kopitar to Washington for Tom Poti, Shaone Morrisonn and a fourth-round pick (E3).

is there any dopier accomplishment in sports than the third-period goal when you’re losing by, like, a billion?

Being the guy in the box for it?

39. Phil says:

Fucking wow. The score might not be this high for the Superbowl.

40. Doogie2K says:

Speaking of, I wonder if we’ll hit double digits tonight.

Not that it’s much of an accomplishment, but I called it.

41. Lord Bob says:

Accursed mountebanks!

42. Coach pb9617 says:

I’m throwing LT under the bus. That rosy bullshit about the defense over the break did this team in. The defense played AHL style tonight. Either you get back to fear, panic and threats or this team is effed in the a.

43. Bruce says:

MacT puts out the first unit trailing 9-2 with 2 minutes left, and gets exactly what he deserves.

Bookie: By no means am I writing off JDD based on tonight. I’m merely pointing out that he was absolutely unready to play, has had a horrible time tracking the puck, has been stumbling all over the crease, and giving out huge greasy rebounds on those occasions where he actually does stop the first shot.

We know he’s better than this, but given it’s his first appearance as our #2 goalie, it’s more than a little unnerving.

I only wish I was 13 again.

44. Dennis says:

LT: And I won’t be getting up todayyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy!

45. Lord Bob says:

Lowetide is the one who’d lost the room all along!

I bet he got Dustin Penner a gift card for Krispy Kreme Donuts for Christmas too!

46. PunjabiOil says:

Roloson has an .879 SV% in the past 9 games.

Trading Garon now looks foolish, as do Kevin Lowe’s wet dreams over JDD

47. Dennis says:

That’s my take on things.

48. Bruce says:

Finally, some good news: ticker says Matt Cooke got suspended 2 games for a “hit versus the Hurricanes”. Nice to see the league cracking down on that 3000 strikes and you’re out policy.

49. Satisfied_to_Ignore says:

cbj wins, oilers get smashed, Lowetide, new focus tomorrow? :-D

50. goldenchild says:

This thread needed more clap clap

51. Doogie2K says:

@Dennis: Confirms what I basically thought of the first, i.e. the chances were there but the finish was lacking, whereas every other sloppy play in their own end (and there were a bunch) wound up finding net.

Also, for the sake of comparison, the 9-2 drubbing by Chicago from a month ago.

52. Dennis says:

Bruce: tack on another 15 suspensions and the league will be up to speed.

GC: I know tonight’s game certainly “burned” me;)

53. Temujin says:

It wouldn’t be right if I were to hide my glee.

Clap Clap!

54. Dennis says:

Haha, tonight is the one night where I can finally get the postgame feed;)

In other news, I finally got another SO from Nabakov for my fantasy team.

I’m looking for my Joy Division records and if that doesn’t work Johnny Rotten should do the trick. Failing that, some drunk country-rock like Joe Ely.

56. Temujin says:

Curtis Sanford, anyone?

57. mc79hockey says:

Jesus Christ. Deslauriers went from a .915 to an .893 tonight. From good starter to bad backup. It’s like a spectacular illustration of why stats for a few games suck.

58. kris says:

Et tu Temujin?

59. Ian says:

Wow, LT – I was just humming “Atmosphere” upon the end of the game. Seems fitting…

60. Traktor says:

Clap! Clap!

61. Ribs says:

Double Self Quote> I figured the Oil had a chance in this one because Ovie's slumping (as much as he can slump) and I wouldn't be too suprised if they go on a tear here and win 3 of the next 4 with some good goaltending.

…Then the All-Star break will take away any momentum they had and they'll slide for awhile again…..And then the annual push!

Hoepfully the slide doesn't last too long now.

I’m sure glad I brought my GT Snow Racer tonight. Also glad I took PM Bouchard in the pool this week I hate that guy. (took Nabbie as well).

Anyways, what’s Fritsche’s deal this year? I see the Rangers have him on waivers.

Ian-I was humming this:

Getting rid of the albatross
    Sowing the seeds of discontent
    I know you very well, you are unbearable
    I’ve seen you up far too close
    Getting rid of the albatross

63. Alice says:

I think the Sabre-metricians have a lot to answer for tonight, the bastards.
    I can’t wait to see what the Flametricians have in store for us.

64. Kyle says:

If you’re looking for Joy Division, I would say either ‘She’s Lost Control’ or ‘Disorder.’

The good news is they’re both on the same album!

65. Ribs says:

Vinny would have scored at least 9 tonight if we had traded away half of the team for him. Bastards.

66. Fake Craig McTavish says:

Horcoff lost the room because he doesn’t show up when it counts.

Please go to Tyler’s site for therapy.

67. DeBakey says:

Well

All I have to say about tonight’s game is that
    my boy
    Diamond Dan Hejda
    was +1 and played over 24 minutes

68. Swabbubba says:

wow another wild night… heck I really did appreciate the officials they made some really key calls.. the game had no flow and when it started to have some they started blowing the whistle with reckless abandon. What the heck whee they gave the fans what they wanted they were screaming for 10 we gave it to them.

69. bookie says:

You know, they won 5 of 6 coming into this, so I am actually not letting this even bother me. Which is funny because after the 9-2 loss, I was done with this team and hated the world.

I accept a crazy 1-off. NExt game means the world to me though.

70. Bank Shot says:

BS: I’m writing him off based on his AHL stats but maybe that’s just me.

Wait, no it’s not.

I’m not defending JDD so much as trying to remind everyone that the Oilers are fucking terrible defensively as a team so if they end up missing the playofffs its probably not going to be solely on the goalies’ heads.

Perhaps your chances for tonight Dennis are bang on, but I think we can all agree that the grade A+ chances were way in the double digits for the Sabres and maybe 4-5 for the Oilers.

71. Phil says:

MacT was right – how they play the next game will say a lot. After they lost 9-2 to Chicago, they came out the next night against Vancouver, and showed nothing in the way of pride. Will Friday vs the Wild be the same? I wouldn’t bet against it.

72. quain says:

I can’t possibly imagine a worse follow up game than the Wild. I mean, you sure hope they come in to play, but Backstrom has this team’s number like it’s written on a bathroom wall.

73. Fake Craig McTavish says:

The important thing to remember is that Horcoff is likely tired after his sojourn in Mexico and his Corsi was great tonight,

The score is irrelevant because we all know that Corsi #’s win hockey games.

Pay the man.

74. Traktor says:

“I thought we came ready to play.” – Ethan Moreau

75. PDO says:

This is coming from a guy who would love to see 18 dealt..

I agree.

So long as he doesn’t think Roli came to play.

76. Jonathan Willis says:

So i got stuck out of town when my company truck blew a head gasket… but it doesn’t look like I missed much that I’d have wanted to see.

LT: I don’t put up links to my work in that section; if I do it’s in a comment. For example, I see the PK’s given up three goals. I did a breakdown on the Oilers thus far that I’m fairly happy with, and it has my solutions to the PK. End self-salesmanship.

FCM: Nice work on the cherry pick. Did you mention that Moreau’s a great player during his hat-trick night, or talk about how Deslauriers deserves a spot on this team after his game against Jersey? Everybody has bad games.

Everybody: Mathieu Garon wasn’t exactly knocking the ball out of the park when he was here, either. It’s one game; the goaltending will come around or it won’t, but tonight probably isn’t indicative.

Roli should be fine. JDD probably won’t be, but we knew that, and Sabourin’s around and can fill in if need be.

I’m probably feeling much calmer about this for not having sat through an embarassing loss; I remember how irritated I was after the Chicago game.

77. Coach pb9617 says:

I’m watching again on DVR and I can’t believe how many uncontested chances there are for the Sabres. By my count the Sabres scored 8 uncontested goals tonight. What in the blue hell was the defense doing out there?

78. Cloned says:

Zetterberg re-signed in Detroit… 12/72.

Holland shops at Walmart, seriously.

WHAT? How in hell did they get him for that? Good grief.

80. Cloned says:

Watch them sign Hossa for 25/75 and Franzen for 15/30.

81. quain says:

TSN is reporting 10 years, $71M which is a lot more inline with what you’d expect. But, Detroit cheats and if 12/72 shows up officially, I’ll not be surprised.

82. Fake Craig McTavish says:

@jonathgan

Is it a valid stat or not?

If the goalie plays lights out and wins the game on his own does that stat count or not?

The bottom line in both cases is irrelevancy unless you want cherry pick other numbers. Which you always do.

83. bookie says:

For all of you Gagner bashers, I think its now clear that he is the only thing keeping this team above water.

84. HBomb says:

7.1 million per year for Zetterberg?

Still a bargain. Watch, they’ll somehow manage to keep Hossa and Franzen.

85. Dennis says:

86. Asiaoil says:

Meetings tonight but only got one thing to say anyway about JDD….this is what he is. The guy got blitzed in the AHL during his conditioning stint so I’m not surprised. Not that’s he was ever much good in the first place.

Like others have said – sure glad we got rid of Garon so we can make our playoff push with an 80 year old and a mediocre AAA guy in net. More bush league mgmt by Lowe when it comes to goalies….it’s a complete joke and it’s completely predictable.

87. quain says:

We need a new arena?

88. digger says:

So, what should Daum be reminding MacT to do next year, the first game post-all star break?

Not to get out of bed?

89. Bruce says:

Good question, Digger. I was at that post-ASG affair last year and if anything the Oilers were less competitive than they were tonight. Outshot 39-13 by the Sharks, lost 3-0 but it felt like 10-0.

Seems like as a team they learned the mean square root of fuck all from the experience.

90. Phil says:

Dennis said: Despite it severely fucking our GD, what can we take from the fact that we got worked over twice like this on home ice?

That apparently the team plays worse when they have last change?

AO said: More bush league mgmt by Lowe when it comes to goalies

Of course, by ‘Lowe’, you mean ‘Tambellini’, right?

91. hunter1909 says:

I just got in and see the final score.

10-2

Wow.

This is a young team, with a crackerjack puck moving defence, which unfortunately relies on hot goaltending every time.

They end up in 7/8th, but we’re in for a few more of these lemons, until the playoffs.

92. PunjabiOil says:

But…but..but…we get a 4th round pick in 2011! Lowe has a plan, a vision!

93. Coach pb9617 says:

LT, all of the shitty links are back. Perhaps you should tell Guy Flaming to market his media empire somewhere else.

Oh stifle it. Garon sucks too.

94. quain says:

It’s almost like Garon didn’t start the 9-2 abortion in Chicago.

95. DBO says:

good times last night. Happy I was working till 9:30 pm. On Zetterberg: nice deal for Detroit. And to those who are afraid they will sign both Franzen and Hossa, they are now at $48 million next year for 15 players. Add Franzen for $4-5 mill and they can’t afford Hossa at all. even with Franzen they will have to plug in million less players to fill the roster. But of course they will bring up some nobody from Sweden who scores 25 goals and plays solid in his own zone. Can we trae for their overseas scouts?

96. Coach pb9617 says:

After trying in vain to quiet trade rumors about superstar Vincent Lecavalier, now comes a report from the New York Post that the Lightning are open to dealing 2008 first overall pick Steven Stamkos.

The Post said officials from two franchises “have been in contact with the Lightning and have no reason to fib about it. “

Oh look Oilers Jambalaya guy is back.

97. quain says:

Tampa Bay needs to be contracted, right now, like, right this very instant. I should be in the middle of this comment, and see “LIGHTNING FORCED TO CLOSE DOORS, DISPERSION DRAFT SCHEDULED” pop up on my RSS feed.

98. Dennis says:

Even taking into account that we got light up before at home, I’m willing to one-off last night’s game and just look ahead to Fri night. We have a lot of wins going for us tie-breaker wise along with a GIH or two so this one won’t kill us.

That being said, it’s hard to think about last night without considering just how bad the netindming was. Roli has now blown goats in six of his last eight starts so how can we long can we afford his to continue? It’s not like anyone can really honestly believe in JDD.

99. digger says:

Moreau: “I thought we were ready to play…”

Souray: “We weren’t ready from the start…”

I don’t know why, but I chuckled a bit when I heard those post-game snippets last night.

100. Bruce says:

Digger: I saw both of those interview snippets and they struck me entirely differently. Maybe it’s just me, but it came across that Souray was taking ownership while Moreau really wasn’t. What was your take on that?

I know which of the two I would prefer to see as Our Captain.

As for the situation in Tampa, I just listened to a little bit of the morning radio show that is apparently called “Moron Sports”, in which Scott Taylor reported on last night’s Montreal at Tampa game. He said there was almost nobody there, and 75% of those who were had Habs shirts. He said without the horn it would have been hard to tell that the home team had scored. He also pointed out that this was during Super Bowl week in Tampa; they can’t even draw sports-minded tourists to see the mighty Habs, let alone the lowly Bolts.

Some days I really wonder how far the NHL is away from WHA-style franchise chaos. The dominoes are wobbling in the deep south.

101. digger says:

Bruce: It’s honestly hard to say without being part of the inner workings of that dressing room, but my first reaction after listening to their respective interviews was that Souray definitely seemed to be taking a humiliating loss like this much more personally insulting than Moreau.

It was like Moreau was trying to detach himself from the situation, put the loss in the rear view mirror ASAP get the hell out of there.

Can’t help but feel one guy has his finger on the pulse of the team more than the other, and it’s not the one currently wearing a ‘C’ on his jersey.

Honestly, who knows for sure. I just know that this team seems positively allergic to lengthy success that isn’t brought on by ‘now or never’ desperation.

102. Schitzo says:

To play devil’s advocate, sometimes that might be the best way to deal with this kind of thumping. Back to work tomorrow and look forward.

103. HBomb says:

So now TSN is saying it IS 72 million over 12 years for the Zetterberg deal.

6 million cap hit per year. For Henrik f’n Zetterberg.

That, right there, is a below market contract that ONLY the Wings could get a player to agree with. He’s underpaid by 2 million a year in my books (if guys like Staal and Lecavalier are 8 million per year, Zetterberg’s worth at least that much).

So who’s captain in Detroit after Lidstrom retires (and they subsequently sign Luongo with his money)? Zetterberg or Datsyuk? I say the Swede….

104. hunter1909 says:

Lowetide you get the best GDT pics.

105. Tweezer So Cold says:

Over 300 comments and everyone seems to have missed the motivation for this massacre:

SHOW KEVIN LOWE UP

Does anyone remember the Vanek offer sheet?

The subsequent threats by the Sabres GM to dishonour and destroy the Oilers organization at any and all points in the future?

In a positive, I liked Penner’s game tonight. Everyone else stunk it out. I left early.

106. Jonathan Willis says:

Is it a valid stat or not?

Do I really? I always thought I made an honest effort to look at the numbers in context, but whatever.

In any case, you can’t judge a player by one game. Case in point.

107. doritogrande says:

Am I the only one who isn’t pissed that someone, anyone in the post-game interviews didn’t throw a fit as a direct result of this game? The whole organization pisses me off in that they show no emotion after a loss. It’s like they don’t care that they’re losing ground on the rest of the West.

You see those huge NFL-type blowouts, and you get the best soundbites in the world during the post-game pressers. What do we get? MacT looking blankly with a lot of “uhhh”s. Show some desperation!

108. Schitzo says:

Was it Tencer or Flaming who was claiming Jacques wouldn’t need waivers this year?

Because Gregor just posted over at ON that he would require waivers to be sent to Springfield. Which makes MUCH more sense.

109. digger says:

To be fair though, in the NFL you’ve only got 16 games to work with. Losing even one game is a big deal that has tangible ramifications.

Compare that to an 82 game schedule, and unless the trade deadline’s passed and the playoff push is on in earnest, I could understand an NHLer having an attitude of “Oh well, we’ve got tons of games to get that one back!”

Not saying I like that kind of reaction as a fan, but I can understand it.

110. Master Lok says:

Agreed. One blowout out of 82 games is a lot different from one blowout out of 16.

And MacT has blown up enough this season already.

111. relic says:

the problem is this wasn’t a one off, it’s the second time it’s happened this season which is just barely past the halfway point. The worst and second worst losses in franchise history.

112. Dennis says:

Gregor listed all the games that JFJ could play on his conditioning stint before’d have to clear waivers; he’ll play eight games in SF and then his one way pact kicks in which means he’ll have to clear waivers.

I imagine we’ll go to a 14 F, 7 D and 2 goalie system and 43 will be the 7th D but basically a swingman.

Looks like the org’s made their decision on 67 – at least until perhaps we make a move or 89′s done for the year – so he probably won’t block JFJ and you’ll have JFJ and 33 as the 13th and 14th forwards.

113. Dennis says:

The other thing is by the time JFJ’s used his conditioning stint, we’ll be close to the trade deadline and after that we can expand the rosters anyway.

Not sure if it’s worth the trouble to keep the kid around but we turfed Garon to stroke JDD so anything’s possible.

114. Schitzo says:

He’s actually on a two-way deal this year, but that’s not relevant for waiver status.

115. Coach pb9617 says:

Of course, the night that the Oilers [and Cogliano!] destroy the opponents in the circle, they get destroyed themselves.

116. CrazyCoach says:

Hey Bruce,

I imagine you already have, but if you haven’t pick up a copy of Ed WIlles book, “The Rebel League”. It is a nice little retrospective look at the WHA and has some pretty wacky stories that I feel will be repeated with the Bolts, Preds, Panthers, etc.

As bad as I feel for the actual fans of the Bolts, I can honestly say that feel Len Barrie is getting exactly what he deserves. Call it Karmic balance. He makes Charlie Finley look like MIke Illitch.

117. Lord Bob says:

Some losses, you throw chairs at the players.

This loss, I think, is more for throwing players at the chairs.

118. kris says:

Zetterberg for 12 years and he’s already 28. Nice.

He’ll get bought out in 8 years, with a big goodbye cheque.

Does this mean teams are now full out skirting around the cap by giving guys a retirement buy out option? Is this a loop hole in the cap? Or am I missing something. It’s like a retirement-pension signing bonus, no?

I say sign Gagner for 35 years at 2.5 million a year.

119. bookie says:

This loss is a loss, the same as a 3-2 loss in the way that it counts.

The reason that there is limited concern is because of next game.

A bad loss after a pretty good string of games is nothing to worry about.

BUT if they come back like they did after their last bad loss and totally wiff the game THEN we will see some emotion.

Next game is a big one for everyone.

120. Asiaoil says:

The issue is not that Garon was playing particularly well – he was clearly inconsistent this year. The issue is whether a Roloson/Garon tandem is better than a Roloson/JDD tandem – and a complete idiot can see the correct answer to that question.

The only thing people hung their JDD hat on this year was a few decent games and the SP based on that small sample. Now that’s gone and he even blew chunks in the AHL during his conditioning stint before the Garon trade – which again – should have told Lowe that trading Garon was a bad idea.

Get Sabourin up here ASAP…

121. Traktor says:

Since everyone is taking the easy stance after the obvious I’ll stick by JDD.

I’m going down with the ship.

122. Schitzo says:

If you buy them out, there’s still a partial cap hit, calculated over double the years of the buyout.

123. Scott says:

It’s not a retirement buy out, the two are mutually exclusive. It’s retirement, not a buy out.

Retirement = no cap dollars.

So long as the contract was signed before the player turned 35. There are two age markers for buy out values, but I think it’s just the one age marker regarding retirement. Somebody can correct me if I’m wrong.

124. Scott says:

More evidence for the boat that reads:

“The correlation between face-off percentage and winning hockey games isn’t strong”

125. Schitzo says:

Retirement = no cap dollars.

Absolutely right, but of course the other side of that coin is that Retirement = no real dollars.

If the player decides they like getting paid at age 37 to play hockey, they may not want to retire.

126. Bruce says:

Traktor: It’s one bad game, and a whole lot of guys are wearing it, not just JDD. David Staples correctly fingered the veterans for most of the blame, but JDD was ten minutes late to the party and never got caught up. In the eyes this former goaltender he appeared to lose his composure and from a technical standpoint he was worse than bad. See my comment above at 9:33 p.m., there’s no point in dwelling on it. It’s one bad game, very possibly the worst of his career, and surely it sets the bottom end of the range.

Shit happens to a young goalie, let’s see how he bounces back from it. I remember this young goalie named Mike Vernon who posted a 21.82 ! GAA and a .333 !! Sv% in 1983-84. I was at that game, the Oilers got to Reggie Lemelin early and often, and the not-ready-for-prime-time rookie came off the bench, just like last night. These were the 1983-84 Oilers, they of the 446 goals, and 4 of them came in the next 11 minutes against the overmatched young Falme, forcing the embattled Badger Bob Johnson to return his starting keeper to the net to stop the bleeding. (I thought MacT might seriously consider that round about 8-1 last night.)

Vernon turned out not too badly (the @$$#()[€ )… ‘course it took him another two years to show his face in the League again. JDD has no such luxury.

127. quain says:

The flip side is that, given how the deal’s dollars are structured, if Zetterberg decides he wants to play forever then his actual dollars are small enough that he becomes tradeable to a team that is operating on a small budget, and may have a lot of excess cap room.

The most likely risk with this contract is that his play falls off around his mid 30′s, well before the cheap dollar years come. It’s probably a risk worth taking with a player like this, though.

128. Schitzo says:

If I had a crystal ball that told me Z was going to be the worst player in the league by age 35, I would still do the deal. And in 2015, I would console myself with my four stanley cup rings.

129. Doogie2K says:

The Post said officials from two franchises “have been in contact with the Lightning [about Stamkos] and have no reason to fib about it.”

But as every GM in the League is quick to point out, every team has been contacted about every player at some point by now. Nothing to see here, folks.

I’ll second that. Great little book, including my favourite Rod Phillips road story.

130. Steve says:

…including my favourite Rod Phillips road story.

I would like to know more.

131. Bruce says:

CrazyCoach: Indeed I have read, and thoroughly enjoyed, “The Rebel League”. Those of us who lived through that time know that Willes didn’t need to embellish anything, indeed he probably couldn’t make shit up that was as bizarre as what really went down. Highly recommended to anybody with an interest in the game’s history. Or the Oilers’ history for that matter … it should be required reading for club management who seem to have wilfully forgotten that important period in the club’s rich legacy. In this community, the WHA years included the formation of the team, the building of the arena, the acquisition of Glen Sather and Wayne Gretzky, and the forcing of the merger by maintaining a strong franchise in a chaotic environment. 30th anniversary season?? Pshaw!

Hey Patrick Laforge, haven’t you or anybody in your front office noticed that the Montreal Canadiens are marking their 100th aniversary in a 92-year-old League?? Unlike here in the Heartland of Hockey (TM), there’s nobody alive who remembers the genesis of Les Anciens Glorieux, nonetheless the greatest hockey franchise of all has respect for its own roots. Why don’t you? It’s foolish to write off seven years because, well, who knows why? It don’t make no fucking sense.

Oooops, sorry … you got me started.
    *Blushes, exits quickly and quietly stage left*

132. Scott says:

Schitzo:

You’re bang on there. He’s very tradeble in the cheap years. And the worst case scenario is you carry a boat anchor contract for a year or two to get there while watching tapes of Hossa, Zetterberg, Datsyuk, Lidstrom and Rafalski on the ice together mocking the idea of an all-star team.

133. Jonathan Willis says:

Since everyone is taking the easy stance after the obvious I’ll stick by JDD.

And it reflects well on you. One game is one game; this shouldn’t be changing opinions on the guy.

I look at his AHL record and think “I don’t understand what Deslaurier’s done to be considered an NHL’er right now” despite how much I pull for the guy. One 7-goal blowout doesn’t shift me one way or the other.

Although most guys here are probably viewing it as confirmation of the opinion they had all alongp; the JDD bandwagon wasn’t very full in these parts anyway, so there shouldn’t be too many ankles injured jumping off of it.

134. Jonathan Willis says:

And since off-topic links to Guy Flaming’s media empire are now in vogue (sorry, Guy ;) ):

Hrabal’s bound for Sweden.

135. J says:

goaloson has and always will be a complete siv. jdd has and always been a complete siv. the oilers have been great in front of the goalies this year save 3-5 games. when someone who is half decent has an open look at one of our tenders they are going to score every time. is it just me or does jdd look really, really unintimidating in the cage? oh I forgot, having a solid top 20(at least) tender isn’t “oilers hockey”.

136. doritogrande says:

This is quickly becoming the biggest pet peeve I have for Oilers fans. Kevin Lowe does not make personnel decisions anymore. The Oiler’s GM’s name is spelled:

T-A-M-B-E-L-L-I-N-I.

Thank you.

137. J says:

ya stoneface and the invisible man a great management team

138. knighttown says:

Can someone answer a question for me? My gut tells me “Steady Steve” was on the ice for 6 goals against last night. I’m sure a few of you will be able to find this in a matter of seconds but I can’t seem to navigate around Vic’s Time-On-Ice site to find out (I can’t find 5 digit NHL game numbers with a MAC).

As someone alluded to earlier, that shift where Vanek danced him and then over powered him for two Grade “A” scoring chances was one of the worst shifts I’ve seen from a player in quite awhile. And that was one of the shifts he didn’t get scored on. 21 shifts and 6 goals is my guess.

Staios was on the ice for:

1. Paetsch goal at 1:11-1st (EV)
    2. Roy goal at 10:17-1st (EV)
    3. Connolly goal at 14:19-2nd (PP)
    4. Vanek goal at 17:40-2nd (EV)
    5. Spacek goal at 18:59-2nd (PP)
    6. Stafford goal at 12:40-2nd (EV)

140. hunter1909 says:

Can Stamkos play goal?

141. hunter1909 says:

Come on guys. Roloson had a bad game. Before anyone knew what was happening 4-0.

We’re a stupid young forward corps.

Some nights we are still juniors.

We’re the only ones that are any fucking good, so no emotion: after all, the captain won’t like it.

142. Coach pb9617 says:

KT – Staios is one of the reasons that I’ve got a raised eyebrow for anyone throwing the tending under the bus. He was awful from beginning to end and most of the defense joined him. That was the worst team defense I’ve seen since Niinimaa was the number one.

143. kris says:

Thanks Schitzo, but I’m still confused. If the Wings agree to buy him out when he has 4 years left, what kind of cap hit do they take? And what kind of real dollars do they pay? I take iT that the cap hit will be much less than 7 million per year.

144. Rod says:

Dennis said:
    —–
    And that’s one reason the Garon trade was dumb, da-dumb, dumb, DUMB…which is only a small fraction of the goalie mismanagement this season.

AO has pointed out numerous times that JDD’s numbers in the A give no indication that he’ll even attain average ‘tender status in the NHL. So can anyone explain why they didn’t just send him down after TC back in October? The roster trouble of keeping 3 goalies (e.g. Smid @ forward), and what the 3-headed monster did to Garon…was it worth it? For the slim chance that JDD develops into a quality starter?

This post isn’t about lousy netminders last night (yikes 24 was awful…). Point is, the Oilers totally mismanaged their goaltending this season. Again. Probably too easy to lay that entirely on Lowe-bellini. A certain Peters had his hands in this mess. Again. Maybe it’s just me, but it seems obvious a change needs to be made there.

145. Bruce says:

Roli has now blown goats in six of his last eight starts

You’re right, Dennis, that is disgusting behaviour. Even for a goalie.

146. Rod says:

LOL. Nice catch there Bruce!

147. Doogie2K says:

I would like to know more.

Well, the bit that involves him is only one part of the story, but basically, it involves a journeyman enforcer of some note and the Cincinnati police.

Go read the book and find out the rest of the story. ;)

@Bruce: I hear ya. I, for one, am celebrating the team’s 37th anniversary.

« Older Comments