Flames at Oilers, G59/08-09

Stan Weir doesn’t believe in Calgary. If Stan Weir wants your opinion, he’ll beat it into you. Stan Weir lost his virginity before his Dad did. There is no theory of evolution. Just a list of animals Stan Weir allows to live.

There is no chin under Stan Weirs’ Beard. There is only another fist. Stan Weir has two speeds. Walk, and Kill. When the Boogeyman goes to sleep every night, he checks his closet for Stan Weir. Outer space exists because it’s afraid to be on the same planet with Stan Weir.

Stan Weir makes onions cry. Stan Weir once challenged Lance Armstrong to a “Who has more testicles?” contest. Stan Weir won by 5.

Stan Weir is capable of photosynthesis. Stan Weir understands the ending of 2001: A Space Odyssey. When Stan Weir picks his nose, he really DOES find Gold. Stan Weir let the dogs out.

Stan Weir puts the laughter in manslaughter.

Stan Weir will bring us money, fame and women of questionable reputation.Ladies and gentlemen, Stan Weir!

456 Responses to "Flames at Oilers, G59/08-09"

Newer Comments »
  1. Psyche says:

Weir is here.

Hockey Day in Canada. Flamers vs. Oilers. Can Saturday night get any better?

2. Clarkenstein says:

Nice to see you up early LT… big game tonight… a win might be a season “turner arounder”!! 15 games and 11 roadies left… let’s see… 10-5 at home and win 5 of the final 11 on the road will give the Oil 92 points. Should be enough I think.

3. Brett Gee says:

Hilarious! The whole thing.

Time for some of the boys on this team to put on their big boy pants.

4. St George says:

Clarkenstein … 15 of 26 is about .600, which is about a 10% better clip than they have played to date. Given what has happened to their D corps, that seems a tall order. I think the boys will be sellers this year … Let’s at least hope we can get something for the future out of this season.

The NHL took JF Jacques’ assist away from him.

Jeebus.

6. HBomb says:

The NHL took JF Jacques’ assist away from him.

Let’s hope he gets major redemption allows us to invent the Jacques-trick after tonight.

- A goal.
    - A huge hit.
    - A savage beat-down of Dion Phaneuf.

Now, is there any way they could work MacIntyre into the lineup tonight? Should they even try to in the first place?

7. Matt N says:

The NHL took JF Jacques’ assist away from him.

I would hate to be JFJ at the morning skate today. The guys are going to be all over him.

@LT – Does this mean you have to give back the beers you drank in celebration??

8. Schitzo says:

Your site is hosed again, LT.

9. Schitzo says:

And now it’s not. Quit making me look like a drunk at 9 in the morning.

Schitzo: Yeah, I don’t know what the heck it is. Blogger usually buggers up on specific posts but I deleted everything during the time it was really bad.

I’m starting to think that blogger may not be the answer.

11. HBomb says:

Stan Weir wrote the song "Private Eyes" in his spare time, then fathered both Hall & Oates. Simultaneously. With two different women.

Clap clap.

12. DBO says:

i actually think they dress MAcintyre instead of jacques or Reddox. based on storts playing on the 3rd line, you can dress macintyre on the 4th and play him sparingly. You know the boys will be hitting, and I fully expect Moreau to channel Stan Weir and just beat the crap out of Sarich or Regher to start the game. I hope to see a “Slapshot” start. Phaneuf skates over the red line during warmups and Moreau loses it and goes after him., followed by Macintyre and company. Best possible scenario to start the game; Moreau beats on a few flames beforer the puck is even dropped, big line brawl, team comes together, Moreau is kicked out of game, we kill off the penalty to start the game and go on to win 5-3. I love hockey day.

13. Sean says:

Stan Weir will bring us money, fame and women of questionable reputation

beauty!

Looking forward to tonights game. The old Oilers could lose a game and get pushed around all over the ice while Rhegher runs Hemsky. This current team will at the very least go down swingin (or spend the entire game on the PK … thanks Captain). I’m hoping Peckham makes a good impression if you know what I mean ;)

LT I could possibly set you up a blog this summer (and import your blogger content) if your interested.

14. Temujin says:

In Russia, Stan weirs you!

Admittedly that’s a lame contribution to the overall theme of things. However, the Flames need a severe beat-down tonight and I’m willing to “go there”.

As the Canucks play in the 4:00 pst game today, I will be drunk before the Oilers even take the ice. Cheers folks!

15. HBomb says:

Meanwhile, Moreau is packaged up with Robbie Schremp and Steve Staios and sent to Atlanta for Ilya Kovalchuk and Niclas Havelid, while Stain Weir holds Doug Waddell hostage, terrorized not at gunpoint, but fistpoint.

Stan Weir be praised!

16. HBomb says:

The “Stan Weir”:

1 shot of 151 proof Canadian whiskey.

1 pint of Canadian brewed beer (users choice).

Take the shot of whiskey.
    Eat the shotglass.
    Drink the beer in one swig.
    Punch the nearest Flames fan.
    Impregnate two women at once.

Repeat as necessary.

When Stan Weir consumes alcohol, beer does not get him drunk – the beer gets Stan Weir’d.

17. DBO says:

Stan Weir was responsible for the baby boom. No one else helped, he just spent a year driving through north america.

On a serious note on moreau. I actually think his value in the league has never been higher. every city we go to talks about how great a leader he is, how he brings it every night, and how every team would like to have a guy like him. Now I’m not sure if that means we’d miss him more then we realize, but if a team is making a run at the cup and he has that much value I think if you’re Tamblowe you have to see what he can bring. I think it’s been said a few times, but if you can clear Moreau and Staios from your books you have to do it. The issue with the Oil seems to always be that we are in the thick of the 8th place race, and never shed players and rebuild. We are in the weird middle ground of having young guys developing, while having expensive veterans at the tail end. All i ask is for Tamblowe to make a decision about what direction we are going.

18. HBomb says:

DBO: why NOT trade Moreau and Staios? Get rid of Moreau at the deadline and then Staios at the draft (if only because of the current lack of depth on the blueline).

Run with young and/or cheap in the bottom six next year (with the exception of Pisani – anyone who suggests he should be dumped in order to keep Moreau has rocks between their ears) and sink money into the top end of the roster (hello J-Bo…)

19. doritogrande says:

The NHL took JF Jacques’ assist away from him.

Stan Weir takes assists, goals and wives away from the NHL.

Also, Stan Weir fights without a helmet on.

20. DBO says:

HBomb: i agree on Moreau. i just doubt it happens. I think there are two scenarios leading us into trade dealine.

1. Tamblowe feel we need vets and we bring in help. (most likely as I see them giving MacT another shot at a playoff run).
    2. We position ourselves for next year by dealing Moreau and Staios and cole and free up salary for the off season.

21. HBomb says:

DBO: If they’re going with scenario 2, as much as I’d like to see the playoffs this spring, I want a Cup long term more, so I’d include Roloson in the sell off.

He might net Detroit’s first rounder if he was available.

Hell, if Tambellini really wanted to get creative, throw Souray’s name out there and see if someone overpays. Why not?

22. Gord says:

Beauty Post LT. Stan Weir beat up my boss, took his job, and gave me two ducats to the Skysuite tonight.

When Pisani returns, Cole to PIT for a conditional pick (1st rounder if PIT makes the dance, 2nd if they don’t).

Clap, Clap!

23. DBO says:

here are the deals i’d like to see based on those scenarios.

1. Going for it.
    - Penner, Schremp and a 3rd round
    for
    Sullivan, Bonk and Devries (from Nashville).

All are UFA’s, you clear Penner’s salary, add a scoring winger for Hemsky, a 3rd line center that can win a faceoff and a defenseman with experience to round out the back end. This also allows you to move Cole (since you can move Cogs back to the 2nd line).

- Deal Cole and Pouliot to Pittsburgh
    for
    goligoski/Letang and a mid round pick.

Our lineup:

Sullivan – Horcoff – Hemsky
    Gagner – Cogliano – Nilsson
    Moreau – Bonk – Pisani
    Reddox – Brodziak – Stortini

Souray – Gilbert
    Devries – Letang
    Smid – Staios

We free up $8 million for next year, get a cheaper alternative in Letang on the back end allowing us to move Grebeshkov (or one of the expensive dmen) and you get an opportunity to try out Sullivan and Bonk for 25% of the season.

24. DBO says:

Scenario 2 – looking to next year.

1. Deal Moreau, Staios and Cole to ottawa (they are crazy and seem to want to go for it)
    for
    Vermette and Volchenkov (they can move Vermette with Comrie there),
    Doubt it can happen, but Murray seems to be trying to keep his job.

or

2. Deal Cole to Boston/Pittsburgh for prospects/young players. Boston had 2 prospects mentioned in rumors and pittsburgh might give up Letang/Goligoski.

3. Deal Moreau to Washington
    for
    Steckal (big young 3rd line center who can win a facepoff. i’m a big fan of this guy) and a pick.

4. Deal Rollie and Staios to Detroit
    for

We clear a ton of cap space, get younger and go truly into a rebuild mode shooting for 2010/11 cup run.

25. doritogrande says:

3. Deal Moreau to Washington
    for

As much as I’d like to see this happen, it’s a move in the wrong direction for Washington. Why would they want to trade one roster player for another when they’re third in the conference?

If we’re trying to trade with Washington, I go after one of their goalie prospects. They’ve got too many really good prospects coming through their system right now with Varlamov and Neuvirth(sp?). However, I go for neither of those. I saw Braden Holtby of the Sask. Blades Real good the other day when they played the Hitmen on Sportsnet. For a goalie, the fucker moves the puck as well as Visnovsky. It was stunning to watch.

26. DBO says:

Does anyone know Boston players well? Boston has to re-sign Kessel and Krejci to big long term deals. Aswell as lashoff and Humwick. And next year they have to shell out for mark Stuart. Would they deal Stuart for veterans that come off the cap in a year or two? Would they deal Stuart (who is on their 3rd pairing right now) for Moreau and Staios (who i know are both on the cap till 2011, but will cost combined probably what Stuart gets per year). Dare to dream.

27. Mr DeBakey says:

Get rid of Moreau at the deadline

I’m sure everyone enjoyed reading MacT’s comments about “The Edge” this morning.

Maybe Lowebellini has a different opinion.

28. DBO says:

dorito: Washington could use a player like Moreau. Steckal is a 4th line center on their team, and they have a bunch of skill guys up front. if you are tamblowe, you sell them on the edge Moreau brings. He’s the kind of player you want in the playoffs (just don’t mention the unnecessary penalties)

29. Ribs says:

What’s our record look like on Hockey Day?

30. Coach pb9617 says:

Washington has plenty of edge. Gordon, Brashear, Steckel and Ovechkin up front, Jurcina, Schultz, Morrison on the back end.

If anything, they’ll be looking for a veteran goaltender with Johnson gone and Theodore one shot away from a sports psychologist, and they’ll be looking to get rid of Nylander.

31. Lord Bob says:

Sam Weir. And not a moment too soon.

Jean-Francois Jacques actually has 69 career NHL points. He just gave them all to Stan Weir.

(Also, LT, if you ever decide Blogger can go eff itself and you don’t have web hosting elsewhere, I’d be happy to provide.)

32. Lord Bob says:

Did I really type “Sam Weir”?

I’d lock my door tonight, but I know that won’t stop Stan from getting revenge. :(

33. Schitzo says:

Did I really type “Sam Weir”?

A hush falls over the crowd. They know a man’s life has been thrown away today.

34. Dennis says:

From checking NHL.com’s play-by-play option when I log scoring chances, I Used to be shocked at the things they’d miss. 22 tipped a SOG before the 85 goal so that one’s pretty hard to miss.

Not sure what to say about tonight’s game. There’s a lot of pressure on the first line and it looks like it’s just not gonna happen counting stats wise for either of 26 or 89 this season.

Our road record says we should be a playoff team and our home record says we don’t deserve it and there’s two beatdowns on the log that supports that theory.

One thing that’s irking me is we didn’t get a point out of two games where our 4th line chipped in with a goal.

35. Lord Bob says:

I said it then and I say it now. I really think JFJ fanned on that one. The puck wasn’t deflected at all.

36. hunter1909 says:

Oh geez its the Flames.

If we lose, does this mean MacTavish goes on resume upgrade?

If it were the other way around I know the Flames would give us hell tonight. Too bad these pussies can’t seem to do anything without someone getting injured. After so many seasons, and “The Capatin’s” fucking BROTHER doing the training, you start to wonder just whats going wrong in this team’s organisational culture.

37. hunter1909 says:

“The Captain’s”.

38. Lord Bob says:

If we lose, does this mean MacTavish goes on resume upgrade?

No, as MacTavish is so untouchable he makes Ethan Moreau look like Dustin Penner.

39. Traktor says:

“1. Going for it.
    - Penner, Schremp and a 3rd round
    for
    Sullivan, Bonk and Devries (from Nashville).”

That’s disgusting.

Sullivan is a UFA that has 8 points in the last 2 years.

That’s HF noobie material.

“4. Deal Rollie and Staios to Detroit
    for
    1st round pick and prospects (not sure of Detroit’s farm system, but they will at the cap next year).”

Detroit is trying to fit both Hossa and Franzen under the cap next year and you think their going to take on a 2.9 million third pairing defender?

40. HBomb says:

Lord Bob: Sam Weir, eh?

That’s not coincidence. That’s young 89′s actual name. Stan Weir is his real father.

41. knighttown says:

Re Jacques:

That was a strange play. Can you really earn a point on an illegal play (high stick)? What if you used your hand to shoot the puck at the goalie and someone scored on the rebound. Is that an assist?

I suppose the goal was allowed as per the rule book, but my “fairness” radar was going off. High-sticks and hand passes are subject to the continuation rules like soccer to keep the game moving along, but to me, a high stick or hand pass that is a shot should automatically be blown dead. High stick shot into the net? No goal. High stick where the goalie has to make an acrobatic save. Rebound goal? Goal is good. That just makes no sense. Should the goalie have jumped out of the way? It’s like the old “you played it” rules in the schoolyard.

42. knighttown says:

Nope. But jeez Detroit could use Dwayne Roloson. Teams that good do not go into the playoffs with Ty Conklin…it would be criminal. I doubt the Oilers trade him but he could fetch an excellent return.

43. Blake says:

YES! WEIR!

44. Lord Bob says:

Stan Weir fathered all the current Oilers.

Except Ethan Moreau. Stan has no idea where that bastard came from.

45. HBomb says:

Lord Bob: Ethan Moreau was fathered by Shayne Corson.

46. Traktor says:

“I’m not a fan, but he’s been very, very good this year. Numbers are OK, but I betcha to scouts eyes he’s been top 10 material.”

I’m not going to discount his stats but to my eye he’s had luck on his side most of the season. Detroit could probably use some depth in net but I’d be shocked if Roli returned a first.

47. Alice says:

The Capt’in?
    Not only does he take stupid penalties, he monopolizes the GDT! Whatever happened to pissing and moaning about Horcoff, like we did in the Good old Days – like, before Valentine’s Day.

Noooooo! Traktor…. put that down man, I was only kidding.

48. Fake Craig McTavish says:

Just a note.

Columbus has claimed Gratton on re-entry waivers.

49. Coach pb9617 says:

Since HBomb gets you all drunk, let me give you some food to lay a nice base. Today's recipe is Cauliflower & Hot Pepper Cheese soup. I don't have a written recipe, but I guess there is a first time for everything:

Ingredients:

1 Small White Onion, chopped
    1 Head Cauliflower, cleaned and chopped, leaving the thick stalk out of the recipe (save it for a puree though!)
    2 shredded carrots
    8 Tablespoons of butter
    a pound and a half of hot pepper cheese, jalapeno cheese or habenero cheese if you're brave, shredded
    Milk
    Chicken Stock, broth if you must
    salt
    pepper

In a saucepan, start a roux with six tablespoons of butter. Melt it down and slowly add flour and whisk. Cook on medium low and continually whisk until it's thick and it begins to turn light brown.

As you're cooking the roux, saute the carrots, cauliflower, and onions in the remaining butter. Cover with a lid and let it cook on medium until the cauliflower is soft. After it's soft, run it through a food processor or blender until it turns to a lumpy mush.

After the roux has turned light brown, mix in your veggie mush. add salt and pepper

Add a cup of milk and a cup of chicken stock. mix well.

Slowly add the shredded hot pepper cheese by the handful and mix well until it blends, then add another handful. Use the chicken stock to thin the soup if it gets too thick.

Enjoy.

50. Doogie2K says:

If the ref doesn’t call you on it, it seems fair to me. And they shouldn’t be able to revoke said assist after the fact because it’s not a reviewable play.

51. Doogie2K says:

Columbus has claimed Gratton on re-entry waivers.

Scott Howson reads the ‘sphere. First Hejda, now Gratton? ;)

52. ABZZ383 says:

Stan Weir can drink crude oil and piss maple syrup

53. DBO says:

Tracktor: not a HF noobie. I never said I loved the deal with Nashville, but that is the kind of thing they would do. you free up money next year by dealing for those UFA’s and dumping penner’s contract, and it allows you to throw a bucket load of money at Hossa (which they seem determined to do). MacT is not happy with Penner, they want to sign a UFA (even if they have no real shot), and unless you unload Moreau and Staios (which they won’t do) you won’t be able to afford to get a Hossa type next year.

as for the Detroit deal, they bring in a veteran dman every year before the deadline. They won’t be able to keep hossa, Franzen and Hudler (RFA),so getting a vet dman with some years left helps their depth. They also know that since they will lose one of those guys they have to make a run this year, (and their goalies won’t do it) so they take Staios in order to get Rollie.

54. Traktor says:

Alice: I’ve learned that mentioning Horcoff around here is like talking about intelligent design in a room full of Darwinists – it’s just not something that you do.

I have been working on a Horcoff post for about 3 weeks now that will dispel some of the myths and perceptions about 10. One of these days when I get pissed off I’ll post it.

55. doritogrande says:

4. Deal Rollie and Staios to Detroit
    for

Justin Abdelkader up front please. Big-bodied winger what played with Petry at Michigan State. Him or Logan Pyett for the back-end. Think a smaller, more agile Peckham.

56. Coach pb9617 says:

Alright, I have a pot of Hot Pepper Cheese soup, sourdough bread and a case of Harpoon Celtic Ale. Let’s roll.

57. Lord Bob says:

Shamelessly shilling my own boredom: http://www.pommpie.com/images/oilercomix/oilerspaintissuefive.png

The rough gist of this can be described as “hey, that Ethan Moreau sure does take a lot of penalties!”

58. Coach pb9617 says:

WTF? This is a 10 PM game? I thought this was a 4 PM game!

Hmmmmm, what to do for the next seven hours?

59. PunjabiOil says:

Here’s a trade idea.

Dustin Penner
    Steve Staios

for

Ryan Smyth
    Kurt Sauer

60. Lord Bob says:

And why would Colorado do that again? Is their locker room filled with donuts and pizza slices and they need somebody to eat them all?

61. speeds says:

and when did COL get Sauer back?

62. HBomb says:

PJO: Kurt Sauer plays for Phoenix. You should know this, considering his signing last summer might be the best “bang for the buck” contract of July 2008.

63. Scarlett says:

Yes, LT is bringing out the Weir! A victory is imminent!!!

64. Doogie2K says:

Stan Weir fathered all NHLers. Training camp is simply a public show to disguise the DNA testing to determine who belongs and who doesn’t.

65. Fake Craig McTavish says:

speeds said…
    and when did COL get Sauer back?

Monday.

Coyotes defenseman Kurt Sauer, who made his return to game action Monday night after missing 14 games because of a foot injury, on Tuesday said he felt a little sore after playing 16:54 in his return.

“It’s to be expected,” said Sauer, who has four assists in 44 games. “I wasn’t as sharp as I could be and that puts you behind the eight ball. Overall, it’s behind me. I have one game under my belt so I am hopefully going to feel good in the second game.”

Sauer again was paired with shutdown partner Zbynek Michalek.

Wait now. Colorado now has Michalek? We’re talking PHX, right?

67. mc79hockey says:

Yeah, that works on a couple of levels.

Will it also address Andrew Cogliano’s shooting percentage?

68. HBomb says:

mc79: I think what Traktor is going to address is the “myth” that Shawn Horcoff is nothing but a 3rd line center masquerading as a 1st liner and show the masses otherwise; he will also disprove the “perception” that this team would be better off with a “real” first line center like Scott Gomez or Olli Jokinen instead of Horcoff. That has to be what this is going to be about, right?

Ahh, the silky smooth voice of Bob Cole doing the Habs vs. Sens game this afternoon. Guy can still call a game, as long as you keep him away from any involving The Passion that Unites us All.

69. Lord Bob says:

God damn, if we could somehow parley Cole for Ruutu I’d be delighted. He’s about the only Sen with any credit in this blowout in Montreal.

70. Fake Craig McTavish says:

Lowetide said…
    Wait now. Colorado now has Michalek? We’re talking PHX, right?

And Al Montoya too,

71. bookie says:

The problem is that it was a missed call by the refs backwards in the process. The question becomes how far you go backwards. What if it went like this Shot knocked down by high stick, passed over to another player, shot in net? What if you go back farther. Its the same with offsides, you cant go back on a goal to see if the play was offside.

In the end, who cares, they all should be allowed. The reason that there is a high stick rule has nothing to do with some kind of advantage in getting goals. It has to do with protecting players. So, nobody got hurt, goalie failed to save it – count it!

72. bookie says:

Unless you are a moron who believes in magic, fairies and Rob Schremp – you should probably avoid both topics anywhere that there is someone with a 3 digit IQ.

73. Bohologo says:

Here in Japan, Stan Weir is known by his Japanese name, Godzilla.

In Japanese hockey games, when Stan Weir takes the ice, the other team’s play by play can only whisper “the situation has developed not necessarily in our favour.”

Sumo guys dress like that because Stan Weir took their clothes after pushing them around.

With regard to the way of the samurai, when Stan Weir arrived in Japan the samurai packed up their gear and found other things to do like starting Toyota and inventing 3 minute noodles.

Ninjas are masters of stealth because Stan Weir scares the bejeesus out of them.

Bullet trains are too slow for Stan Weir.

The are no earthquakes here, only Stan Weir slapshots against tall buildings.

Japanese women always ask foreign men if they’re Stan Weir, and when you admit the truth everyone in Tokyo points and laughs and much face is lost.

74. Fake Craig McTavish says:

bookie said…

And here, all along, I thought patriotism was the last refuge of the scoundrel. Although, it can be argued that dogmatism and patriotism are like the Sedins.

75. Traktor says:

MC: Cogliano rounds up to 15% and he has spent half the season with Old Yeller and rotating door of AHLers on his line.

On the other hand Mike Johnson is tearing up the German league with 13 points in 28 games.

76. knighttown says:

Oh snap?

77. knighttown says:

Re the Jacques point (again)

I’m not saying the NHL had any right to go back and remove a point but my original post was deciding whether a bounce off a goalie’s pad should count as possession and thereby negate the foul, whether it be a hand pass or a high stick.

So, in theory, that Kane shootout move is kind of legal where he lays on the ice and throws the puck to his stick to sweep it in? Right?

78. Lord Bob says:

I have to admit, if they released all the ING Direct commercials with that Dutch guy on DVD, I’d buy it. I love that guy.

79. Ribs says:

Hmm… What would it take to get Olli Jokinen come deadline day? Think he’d be available?

I’ve never been a big fan of the guy but he’s only signed through next season and can play left or center and can score goals. I imagine Phoenix doesn’t want to take on much salary so what’s going the other way could be mostly prospects and picks.

Something to ponder anyways…

80. Lord Bob says:

Scott Morrison mentions the Flyers are shopping Lupul.

Bring him back! Bring him back!

81. HBomb says:

Scott Morrison mentions the Flyers are shopping Lupul.

Somewhere, someday, some team is going to either be paying Lupul big money to play in the AHL or buying out the last year or two of that contract extension the Flyers gave him last year (4.25 cap hit over four years, kicks in on July 1st).

It’s funny how he’s always the first name mentioned when the Flyers are discussed. Frankly, I’m not surprised.

Meanwhile, LA losing to Phoenix 5-2 with about 17 minutes left. Definitely the lesser of two evils winning in this one.

82. Traktor says:

What about a 3way trade built around the following?

To Pittsburgh: Marty St. Louis
    To Tampa: Sam Gagner
    To Edmonton: Jordan Staal

Would this make sense for all clubs?

83. Ben Carter says:

HECK YEAH.

Blood will be spilled tonight. Across the nation.

84. HBomb says:

Traktor: Now I`d hate to give up Gagner, but that trade would make a ton of sense, yes.

85. Lord Bob says:

I like it, Traktor. And, honestly, if we had the option I’d rather give up Gagner than Cogliano. Obviously Sam is so much younger, but Cogs just does a lot more stuff and does it better.

86. Bruce says:

Ethan Moreau was fathered by Shayne Corson.

… and mothered by Shayne Corson’s mother.

87. Coach pb9617 says:

What stuff, exactly? I’ve been tough on the coach for his treatment of the hobbit, but what is all of this other stuff that Cogliano is doing better?

I have to say, and I’m not going to argue about it, but the idea that Cogliano has a better future than Gagner is not close to clear to me. I’d really like to see some evidence of this and yes I’m a big believer in age making a difference (especially teenagers) and have paid attention to the underlying numbers.

Don Cherry gets out of a van, has a dog named Scooter, walks in and high five’s everyone while talking about his dog Scooter saying “hi how’re doing?” all along. Eventually he mixes it up and he’s saying “how you doing Scooter?” to the people!

The CBC has comedy everywhere.

89. Bruce says:

Anybody in Toronto who is booing Mats Sundin needs to give their head a shake. Guy played his ass off for the Leafs and has provided more great moments at ACC than anybody. I wouldn’t mind seeing him provide at least one more tonight.

That said, Go Leafs Go!

90. Tex says:

“Who’s the black private dick who’s a sex machine to all the chicks?”…………….

Stan Weir

That's who….

Oh Boy ! Oilers VS Flames…

How I long for those great teams…
    The battles ..Otto & Mess, Hunter & one of the Bruise Brothers…

Ah .. Man that's the good stuff…

How about a great "hit" of the good stuff tonight… It will Depend on shows up & wants it more…

Go Oil !

91. Bruce says:

That’s more like it. Well done, Leafs fans. A first Class standing O.

92. B.C.B. says:

I would think that PHX wants a first round pick + for Olli Jokinen: I don’t think the Oilers are willing to pay that price . . .
    It might be worth it, since he has another year on his contract at 5.35 million a season. Also I have heard his name liked to the Oilers before (on my sources: LT, Spector, and the Journal) and the Oilers have a history of getting their man, a year or two after you hear about it.
    What about Shremp and 1st round for Olli Jokinen? This would cause some kind of salary dump, because his pro-rated contract would cost just over 1.5 million this season (if traded before the game tonight) and the Oilers have 1.96 million cap room left this year.

93. Tex says:

“Sniff”…
    The red watery eyes…
    ” Choke “…

Mats yes, but it was
    Random views OF THE FANS !

The Fans really did Love Him..

94. Bruce says:

Sundin started quite the kerfuffle there, landing the first two of what were easily a dozen or more shots exchanged between the two teams. I’m surprised Ethan Moreau didn’t get the only penalty.

And THAT makes it even more bizarre when Cherry rambles on about soft Euro’s.

96. striatic says:

Which player best represents the archetypal “soft euro”?

I can easily name a handful of big, tough, dominating European players but it is much more difficult to name a soft one.

97. Bruce says:

LT: Yeah, I specified “ACC” for a reason, but Mats is probably the greatest Leaf of the past 30 years, not just the 10 of the new arena. You’re right Salming was a beauty too — not literally, you understand, he was homely as sin BEFORE the 200-stitch cut, but a wonderful hockey player.

Riley Nash with two goals already tonight. He’s now at 27gp, 11-15-26 after starting 12gp, 4-4-8.

99. Bruce says:

Which player best represents the archetypal “soft euro”?

Inge Hammarstrom. He arrived in Toronto the same time as Salming. He was the target of Harold Ballard’s infamous comment “he could go into the corner with a dozen eggs in his equipment and not break one of them”.

Fairly or not, he’s the archetype. Nowadays the Euro and North American games are much more integrated, and a soft Euro is more or less indistinguishable from a soft Canadian. A tiny minority in both cases.

Kyle Wellwood has European ancestors.

101. Lord Bob says:

Dustin Penner is soft in the literal sense, anyway.

102. Coach pb9617 says:

The Oilers could really use Riley Nash in five years right now.

Anyone have a Delorean?

103. Coach pb9617 says:

So, thus far in the 5 hours I've killed, I've made French Onion soup, a batch of Marinara, a batch of meatballs, and made Sea Bass over lentils for dinner. In addition to the Cauliflower & Hot Pepper Cheese Soup from this morning.

And I've had a six pack.

Now what?

I’m just about to barbeque steaks and there are 4 dead soldiers.

105. Ribs says:

BCB – That sounds like an okay deal. I think it’s safe to say that some salary will be moved in any case with Cole doing his best Radek Dvorak impersonation and the with the clogged up blueline.

It could be made to work. Then, if Olli doesn’t perform or you want to go another way next season, trade him to get your first back in the offseason. I don’t see how his value could go down any more than it is at this point.

I like the pricetag to acquire and I’d really like to see if he could gel with Hemmer.

106. Fake Craig McTavish says:

Ribs said…

Olli did manage a hat trick against LA today.

The Coyotes only 5 points out now.

Nash with another assist and is now a point-per-game player.

108. Mike says:

Now what, coach? You invite me over, pronto. Sounds like you know what’s up.

Stan Weir is chilling tonight, sucking back a case of rubbing alcohol with Buckley’s mixture chasers.

Weir Weir

109. Schitzo says:

Which player best represents the archetypal “soft euro”?

Huselius

110. Ribs says:

Olli did manage a hat trick against LA today.

The Coyotes only 5 points out now.

Hah, yea! He must have known I was talking about him. The race may indeed leave him unavailable.

111. bookie says:

I dunno, my rule on these things is that I give the guy one standing ovation and then when the puck drops I am fine with booing him. At the same time, I would defend him in the press, talk about how great of a person he is, etc. I find in-game booing to be something done in the fun of the game.

So, for me even Booing Pronger is fun and fine, BUT dissing him in the press or on the street – that is stupid.

112. Mr DeBakey says:

Which player best represents the archetypal “soft euro”?

Pavel Brendl leads the KHL in Goals

I just fiinshed a BBQ’d Filet Mignon
    It ws D-licious

113. Lord Bob says:

Okay, any of you seen a breakaway with no stick before?

Not ever. I remember watching games in the 1960s. Never.

115. Ribs says:

That gets me thinking… How do you score like that? Drop to your knees once you’re close and knee-kick/deke the thing?

116. Ribs says:

Maybe an elbow shot?

117. Lord Bob says:

It’s technically illegal to deliberately direct the puck into the net with any part of your body. We just think ‘feet’ and ‘hands’ first because they’re usually responsible.

So Moore made the only possible play with the kick-pass.

//Well I won’t put him ahead of Keon and Mahovlich was a legend, but since 1970 the two best players who’ve suited up for Toronto are from Sweden.//

Did I wake up in an alternative universe where Doug Gilmour does not exist?

119. Ribs says:

Falcons with no goals after the second. Weeeee…

120. hunter1909 says:

Alice: The thing with Horcoff is, once he gets his million shots on goal he often ends up with just enough so the fans are left wondering what Wayne Gretzky was all about, fuss wise.

Frank Mahovolich was better than any Swede since Ingrid Bergman.

Now they’re already making with that Swedish(and Euros generally), as possibly being as good let alone better than someone who back in the day was on a Libby’s Bean poster.

Some people.

Has the game started yet? Usually my job at Rexall Place in the marketing Department keeps me too busy to see any hockey – then again the way this MacTavish Swan Song lineup tonight is playing…

If losing to the Flames tonight helps get MacTavish down at the Unemployment Insurance Offices, then it’s GO FLAMES GO

Just saying.

121. Ribs says:

L-Bob – Thanks for the clarification.

There must be some way though!

122. mc79hockey says:

Wait you’re an Oilers employee who’s been trashing the coach and first line centre publicly all year long? Holy christ. This is like that guy from the Oilers in 2005-06 who was writing on CPuck that the fans were deluded bout how good the team and actually was and that it wasn’t just the goaltending.

123. Lord Bob says:

mc79: What you fail to mention is that guy was Craig MacTavish.

124. Lord Bob says:

Also, cheering for the Leafs, even against the Canucks, makes me feel like the worst sort of human being.

125. oilerdago says:

Schremp with a goal tonite.

Cue the conspiracy theories.

126. hunter1909 says:

Thank fuck tonight’s critical game is being held at Fortress Oilers.

I hope Kurri scores the winner.

127. hunter1909 says:

The Rumour Mill says Kovalchuck refused to be traded to the Oilers, because he’s afraid MacTavish might demote him to Springfield and then lambast him in the press when he’s hopelessly mired in the minors, while the catcalls from Oilers fans everywhere ring in Schremp’s ears.

128. Coach pb9617 says:

So Moore made the only possible play with the kick-pass.

He could have kicked it off of the post and guided the rebound into the net with his skate with no deliberate motion.

He could have waited for a defender and kicked it off of the defender and in.

129. Bruce says:

//a soft Euro is more or less indistinguishable from a soft Canadian.//
    Kyle Wellwood has European ancestors.

//Which player best represents the archetypal “soft euro”?//
    Huselius

You guys are all over it. When I made the initial comment up top, the names I considered mentioning were Wellwood and I couldn’t decide between Huselius and Nylander.

todd Marchant would have skated into the corner and frozen the puck for a faceoff. Of course, that’s what he did WITH a stick…..

131. Bruce says:

Row-bert had a breakaway with no stick just a little while ago. Broke his twig blocking the shot that set him in, it was very early in a game (home vs. Sharks, maybe?) and the first of many bounces we didn’t get that night. Have seen a similar play a few other times where the guy just gave up in disgust.

A breakaway with no stick that resulted in a dangerous shot on goal? That’s pretty darn rare.

Great play by both Moore and Blake. Too bad they didn’t score.

Especially against the f’n Canucks.

132. Coach pb9617 says:

Watching Bouwmeester play the game is just fun. He’s so smooth and effortless.

133. Lord Bob says:

Andy Moog begs to differ.

134. Mr DeBakey says:

OT

Just read a story in Today's Jounal about Mayor Mandel's recent trip to China

He stopped in at the Winter Universiade games to promote Edmonton's bid for the 2015 Summer Universty Games.

The City & the province & the feds will each kick in about a third of the cost if successful.

Ladies & Gents
    Your Edmoton Oilers,
    playing their home games at the new
    Rexall Universiade Pavillion

135. Lord Bob says:

I hate the Leafs so much.

136. Bruce says:

When did MacT start coaching Toronto’s powerplay?

137. Hemsky is a gangsta says:

Anyone catch the Hotstove today? Anything interesting?

138. Lord Bob says:

I hate the Leafs. I hate the Leafs. I hate the Leafs.

139. Lord Bob says:

Hate. Hate. Hate. Hate. Hate. Hate. Hate. Hate. Hate. Hate. Hate. Hate. Hate. Hate. Hate.

When the Leafs lose on HNIC the Oilers usually win. Just saying.

141. Coach pb9617 says:

Wild and Nucks win.

This is a great night, eh?

142. Hemsky is a gangsta says:

The Jackets, Stars, Kings all lost. So it’s not too bad.

143. Bruce says:

Gagngsta: They did a special edition of SHS with Campbelltown celebs. Virtually nothing of interest in the usual sense.

I’m going to do a post tomorrow but it sure seems like this could be Erik Cole’s final game.

145. oilerdago says:

Time for the Oil to come out and play like home ice means something.

146. Lord Bob says:

Depending on the return, LT, let’s hope so.

Unless you’re going to go hit his kneecap with a tire iron or something, in which case YOU HAVE SO MUCH TO LIVE FOR!

Why me? Why Anybody?

148. Ribs says:

You very well could be correct, LT. I hope we get something good for him!

149. Bruce says:

The Law of Dimishing Returns

Pronger –> Lupul –> Pitkanen –> Cole –> Comrie???

150. Ribs says:

Gratton, Chimera, Torres on the same team…What exactly is Howson building in Ohio?

Says alot about Hitchcock though. He seems to have a calming effect on these guys. Que the Theo Fleury comeback and Avery trade!

…I sure wouldn’t want to play against those guys.

151. Hemsky is a gangsta says:

Bruce: Thanks. That sucks. I want some juicy info.

152. Lord Bob says:

Guys, can’t you just see a leader like Ethan Moreau spending the day getting his game face on?

Specifically, an outraged, bewildered expression as he skates to the penalty box.

153. Coach pb9617 says:

It wouldn’t be a surprise.

Ribs – you aren’t even mentioning that defense. Not a single mauler in the lineup, but a bunch of guys that are just a pain in the ass to play against.

154. Ribs says:

So how many shots do we have to take when Moreau heads to the box?

155. oilerdago says:

Hemsky with Nilsson & Gagner?

156. mc79hockey says:

What makes you say this LT?

157. Bruce says:

See Celine throw snow against SMac there? Led to a scoring chance.

Dupont in the Boston Globe. Cole apparently told the Globe he was on the way to Boston.

159. Lord Bob says:

Ladislav Smid, is that you? I could swear I saw Chris Pronger in your uniform for a second there.

160. Coach pb9617 says:

Penner is so fat and terrible that the coach is hard matching him on Iglinla.

Hm. Cole hits Regher and Smid mashes Iginla.

Cool.

161. Bruce says:

Yeah Ladi!

162. Lord Bob says:

Drink!

163. Bruce says:

Moreau you freakin’ muttonhead.

164. Coach pb9617 says:

WHAT IN THE HELL WAS THAT MOREAU?!

He HAS to have money against the Oilers.

Ethan: I’m BEGGING YOU!

166. oilerdago says:

If I never see Moreau on the ice again it won’t be too soon.

167. kamus says:

“That’s some good jam Ethan keep it up”-Mact

Ethan rifles.

wide.

169. Lord Bob says:

According to rumour, the Bruins offered either a minor prospect for Cole or five first-round picks for Moreau.

Cole should be packing his bags tonight.

170. mc79hockey says:

I’m just tuning into this now – what’d Moreau do?

171. Coach pb9617 says:

Alright boys, we’ve got momentum, time for me to do something stupid.

Coach, get me in there, I’m feeling the edge tonight.

172. Ribs says:

I wish I had something smoother thab Bacardi white to shoot. Could be worse. Damn Moreau.

173. LV says:

Which is better – Flames or Oilers radio?

Moreau with a useless, selfish penalty. Color me suprised.

Ethan took a lazy hook type penalty. Admittedly it was in the right zone but the guy’s nickname should be 2 minutes.

176. Bruce says:

Isn’t a captain supposed to be a Team player? Moreau shot the frickin’ puck from the goal line that time. Pass the fuckin’ puck, man!

177. Coach pb9617 says:

Ugh. How did the coach hang Nilsson Gagner and Hemsky out against Iginla?

This Moreau drinking game is going to kill me. Tonight’s shooter of choice is Ouzo.

178. Ribs says:

So what period does Greentree get his goal in?

179. Lord Bob says:

Moreau wouldn’t deserve to be the captain of the Stockton Thunder.

180. Bruce says:

the guy’s nickname should be 2 minutes.

Or 5 minutes, 4 minutes, 6 minutes, or 23 minutes, his last four games PiM. Ethan’s on a roll.

181. Coach pb9617 says:

MC, LT:

It was a cross-check in the back on a guy not near the puck, right in the line of site from the trail ref.

182. oilerdago says:

I think Crawford’s been drinking Hbomb’s concoctions. He can’t get a sentence out.

183. Lord Bob says:

Adam Pardy just posterised the flawless Jason Strudwick, leading to Roloson having to stone Jamie Lundmark.

Good times.

184. Coach pb9617 says:

Ladi Dadi, we likes to party.

185. Bruce says:

Yeah Ladi! Keep drivin’ that net, son, one of these seasons one will go in.

186. uni says:

I had no idea Smid could drive to the net like that.

Dare I hope he’s going to develop an offensive game now?

Lack has the complete package. Sign him for as long as possible, he’ll never be as cheap as he is now.

188. Bruce says:

LT: Going away present?

189. Lord Bob says:

Erik Cole just got us a goal and another fifth-round pick out of Boston!

Erik Cole is increasing his value.

191. Ribs says:

Beauty shot.

192. Coach pb9617 says:

This lineup change is awesome. The Hemsky power play has no board presence and the Cole power play has no puck handlers.

Sick play from Horcoff, nice screen from Penner.

Penner is an ES maven.

193. Ichiro says:

Cole doesn’t seem like he really cares about scoring that goal

194. rider guy says:

ugly really is a monster isn’t he. getting schooled by a 3rd line centre like that:)

195. hunter1909 says:

The Flames are looking like fools out there.

196. PDO says:

Fantastic work by Horcoff.. absolutely bitched out Ugly.

Good times.

197. mc79hockey says:

I find this is a little baffling. Cole actually told the Boston Globe that he’s going to be traded there??? As in, he actually gave them a quote? With quotation marks and such?

Unreal.

198. Bruce says:

Perfect pass from Moreau to Aucoin. WTF??

199. Steve says:

So according to Crawford, the Oilers picked up Cole as a free agent this year.

I’m pretty left of centre, so I usually love paying taxes, but sometimes not so much while watching HNIC.

200. hunter1909 says:

And while everyone seems to be on the topic tonight, they really have some EMO shmuck programming that crappy Rexall Place, the world’s biggest drug conspiracy – I was in a medical libray yesterday and found a book that proves the medical profession has now turned simple everyday blues into a major psychosomatic mental illness.

And there’s Katz, lining his pockets.

Newer Comments »