Flames at Oilers, G59/08-09

Stan Weir doesn’t believe in Calgary. If Stan Weir wants your opinion, he’ll beat it into you. Stan Weir lost his virginity before his Dad did. There is no theory of evolution. Just a list of animals Stan Weir allows to live.

There is no chin under Stan Weirs’ Beard. There is only another fist. Stan Weir has two speeds. Walk, and Kill. When the Boogeyman goes to sleep every night, he checks his closet for Stan Weir. Outer space exists because it’s afraid to be on the same planet with Stan Weir.

Stan Weir makes onions cry. Stan Weir once challenged Lance Armstrong to a “Who has more testicles?” contest. Stan Weir won by 5.

Stan Weir is capable of photosynthesis. Stan Weir understands the ending of 2001: A Space Odyssey. When Stan Weir picks his nose, he really DOES find Gold. Stan Weir let the dogs out.

Stan Weir puts the laughter in manslaughter.

Stan Weir will bring us money, fame and women of questionable reputation.Ladies and gentlemen, Stan Weir!

456 Responses to "Flames at Oilers, G59/08-09"

« Older Comments
  1. striatic says:

no shots in the shootout. wow.

exactly right, a highlight reel loss.

2. danny says:

lol.

Thats fkn GOLD.

28th pkill.

Terrible powerplay.

0 shots in a freakin shootout.

3. PDO says:

Who the fuck is this Alex Hemsky kid that got poke checked.

Fucking loser.

4. Phil says:

A point is better than they deserved tonight.

5. Lord Bob says:

We didn’t deserve the point we got. I’m mad because it hurts our chances of getting Hedman.

6. uni says:

Ouch. Well that ending sucked. Some nice moves by all the shooters, if only one if them resulted in a shot and a goal =(.

7. Lord Bob says:

Craig MacTavish, you don’t know what you don’t know.

8. Coach pb9617 says:

This team needs five points in their next four games, and four have them have to come against Columbus and Minnesota.

9. danny says:

best thing is, we have a GM that sits on his butt indefinitely year after year after year refusing to fix problems.

All in the name of living in his 2005 deadline deals past.

Oiler fans have been outright betrayed by KLowe.

10. Temujin says:

You Flamers fail in the shootout.

11. Coach pb9617 says:

Ain’t no team in the league that gives up goals in the last minute of a period like the boys on the short bus.

James Stewart. Vertigo.

13. Bruce says:

Good choices by MacT to go with Gagner and Nilsson, two forwards who had Zero shots all goddam game. Including the shootout.

What happened to rewarding the guys who palyed well? Which was none of the three guys he did pick.

That may be the single Worst offensive shootout I have Ever seen. Three fucking abortions in a row.

14. hunter1909 says:

More like Kim Novak in the very last scene.

15. danny says:

Temujin. its not cute anymore.

16. hunter1909 says:

Bruce: Can’t you ever say something that isn’t negative?

Since I started taking prescrbed prescription antidepressants form Rexall Drugs, I’ve never felt better.

17. striatic says:

The replay of the last Calgary goal seemed to show a mistake on the line change.

Whose fault is that?

Yeesh.

I retract my previous statement. Ladi has been caught in no-mans land and looking at the puck a few times too many tonight.

8. Oilers 59gp, 63points
    9. Ducks 61gp, 63points
    10. Wild 57gp, 62points
    11. Preds 60gp, 60points
    12. Kings 58gp, 59points

Oilers still have a very good shot, but the playoffs will be won via victories versus the Wild.

20. Ribs says:

Just like every year! Yay!

21. Coach pb9617 says:

I’m reminded of the groundskeepers in Major League:

“They’re still shitty”

22. Phil says:

@ danny:

You’re not the only one that forgets that Tambellini is the GM now. That’s because he doesn’t really do much either.

23. danny says:

is MacT the only guy on Oilers payroll that gets frustrated with the same old song and dance by his players and management?

24. Coach pb9617 says:

The Oilers don’t beat the Wild.

25. Tyler says:

Can’t get behind this LT. The Wild have a bitch of a schedule in the non-Oilers department too.

26. danny says:

Is Lowe smiling?

Seems markedly jovial for a post mortem gameday.

27. Bruce says:

Powerplay stats for tonight:

5 on 4 — 9:05, 5 shots, 0 goals
    5 on 3 — 0:53, 1 shot, 0 goals
    4 on 3 — 1:09, 0 shots, 0 goals
    ——————————–
    Totals — 11:07, 6 shots, 0 goals

To me that is nothing short of unacceptable. 6 shots in 11 minutes is what you expect at even strength for crissakes. That game was there for the taking on the 5 on 3 and we did jack, and again on the 4 on 3 when we couldn’t even get over the blue line.

And that other special team, the shootout squad, with a chance to bail out their goaltender, absolutely fucked the dog. That’s like double faulting on match point. And the two points leading up to it.

Hunter: Right this minute, it’s damn tough to feel very positive. I fucking hate blwoing leads, I fucking hate horrid powerplays, and I fucking HATE losing to Calgary. I am royally pissed.

Hmmm, come to think of it, that’s a good idea. Back to the Saint-Vivant I go.

28. Coach pb9617 says:

Does anyone have a Pisani update?

29. Lord Bob says:

Proposed theme song for the Oilers: Eric Clapton’s unplugged “Running on Faith”.

30. Lord Bob says:

My understanding is that Pisani is out indefinitely with self-inflicted gunshot wounds.

31. Coach pb9617 says:

Great song, but they aren’t running on faith. They are running on edge.

32. Bank Shot says:

Oilers in last 13 games played:
    Goals for: 2.46 per game
    Goals against: 3.3 per game

The butter soft schedule in March should help the Oilers chances at a spot, but I don’t see any evidence that this team is capable of taking advantage of it.

If you go by goal differential the Oilers are the 11th best team in the conference. I like being optomistic, and I certainly was before the season started, but these Oilers have sucked that out of me.

They aren’t really any better than last season’s edition. They still get badly outshot, just by 0.9 shots per game less this year. Their goals for and against are pretty much identical. Same team, and they will probably get the 14th overall pick.

33. Ribs says:

It’s insanse that Horc took 32 faceoffs tonight and won 23 of them.

34. Schitzo says:

Well, you lose enough 9 and 10 goal games, it pooches your goal differential pretty hard

35. Bruce says:

But since you asked, Hunter, here’s some positives:

Shawn Horcoff 23-9 in the circle. He TOOK over 60% of the faceoffs in the game, and won over 70% of those.

Liam Reddox with a fine effort, leading the way with 6 hits and doing a solid job on the forecheck and clearing the defensive zone.

Andrew Cogliano flying and playing his best game in weeks.

Ladi Smid playing an intense physical game with 4 hits, 4 blocks, moving the puck sharply, and rushing the net to draw a penalty.

Roli making a lot of fine stops.

Oilers getting a point to stop the regulation loss streak in its tracks. Whoop-de-doo.

36. Phil says:

Great song, but they aren’t running on faith. They are running on edge.

More like running in place.

Stan, my Stan. Why have you forsaken us?

37. Lord Bob says:

It was the “Sam Weir” thing. I just know it.

Although Mark Lee probably did more. God, I’m still mad about that!

38. Ribs says:

Stan is strictly for the playoffs… I think well know that deep down. He forgives us.

39. Bank Shot says:

Yea, you never really see that happen to playoff teams.

40. Traktor says:

Only the Phoenix Coyotes have a worse record in the last 10 games in the WC.

The time is to sell.

41. Bruce says:

Stan is strictly for the playoffs… I think well know that deep down.

Playoffs?! Don’t talk about … playoffs?! Are you kidding me? Playoffs?! I’m just hoping we can win a game.

42. Ribs says:

Bruce holding Stan Weirs kidney stone.

43. Tyler says:

Only the Phoenix Coyotes have a worse record in the last 10 games in the WC.

It’s tough to come up with how stupid this statement is. The Oilers have played 7 road games in the past 10. They’re 4-4-2. Anaheim and Colorado went 5-5-0, which is the same as the Oilers record.

Dallas went 6-4-0 (7 home games) and Columbus went 6-3-1 (7 home games and 6 games against teams outside the playoffs).

So, you know, I might not be too eager to pull the pin on things. I hate to say this, but I sometimes think that you’re not honestly evaulating these things before you unload again on the Oilers.

44. PunjabiOil says:

Got home from Players Club bar. While spending time with friends s fun, watching games at home are more enjoyable and easier to follow.

I knew Kipprusoft was going to poke check. That’s been his trade mark in shootouts for the past 2 years. It works alot too.

They played well, but very disappointing to come up with only one point. The team lacks that finisher or other top flight forward who could have buried the Flames at 2-0 or 3-1.

A shame.

Losing Visnovsky has really hurt the powerplay. Gilbert won’t shoot the puck, so the oppositions key on Souray. The Oilers won’t play Gagner at the low slot, so the Oilers continue taking low % shots from the point.

Rarely works.

The schedule is favourable for the Oilers. 13-10 home:away ratio, and the 4 game road trip is relatively easy (Eastern Canada and Nashville). Only 1 set of back to back remaining.

Minnesota had 8:17 home:away ratio, including 6 sets of back to backs. That said, Lowetide is right – we can’t go 0-2 in those Minnesota games. Winning next Saturday will be vital.

I’m not going to count out the Ducks either. Or Nashvile.

It’s appearing more and more likely that Vancouver will make the playoffs. though. Columbus will be interesting – they have a ton of games in their division left. St. Louis, Nashville, Detroit, and Blackhawks. They are catchable, as is Dallas.

Enough talk and more walk is required. The Oilers need to step up and get some W’s. The sooner they make trades to improve themselves, the better off they will be in the long run.

45. danny says:

besides… theyre not gonna freakin sell.

MacTs job is on the block and they will not deep six him like that.

Wont happen.

46. PunjabiOil says:

Riley Nash had a 4 point night last night.

47. HBomb says:

Back from the game, so time for some quick hitter thoughts:

Ok, I’m a card-carrying member of the Horcoff fan club, it’s a known fact. But tonight, even I was surprised. What a great game from 10. 23-9 on the dot? Jesus. Best game of the season from him. Yet I’m pretty sure I’ll wander over to the fanboards and only hear about how he missed the one timer in the 2nd period and how a real first liner would have finished that pass into the skates. He must have played well tonight – even Traktor gave the guy credit!

(Sidebar: guess who dropped a $500 bid and won the silent auction for a very nice autographed and framed photo of said player, in the new 3rd jersey? Yep….there goes 20% of my tax return, but it’s for a good cause and will look good opposite the Messier print book-ending my big screen LCD).

Another guy who had his best game of the season: Cole. If that’s his last game as an Oiler, he’s leaving on a positive note. He was all over the place tonight.

I think we’ve finally gotten to the point where Ales Hemsky has arrived. He had an “off” night by his standards, and still sniped a nice goal to give the team back the lead in the 3rd.

Related to this, I remember in 2005-06, the Oilers seemed to divert from their power-vs-power tactic against Calgary and go Moreau-Peca-Pisani against Iginla’s line. Tonight, there was some shuffling, but it seemed the idea was to get Hemsky away from Regehr/Iginla and use the Penner-Horcoff-Cole trio in a pseudo-checking role. Seemed to work for the most part. The other time I remember seeing this from MacT this year was the Anaheim game in December – 27-10-26 got a bunch of HTH time against Getzlaf, where Hemsky with Gagner and Nilsson were basically fed to Pahlsson’s line. That night, like tonight, 83 was largely ineffective, as were Gagner and Nilsson (and it spilled over to the shootout).

On the other end of the spectrum: Moreau is a moron. Another dumb penalty, repeated dumb turnovers, and shit coverage on Iginla on the first Flame goal. Tencer and Stauffer were ripping the Captain in the post-game – I wonder if the Oiler gestapo has given the go-ahead to begin the character assasination for when Moreau is dealt away on March 4th? I sincerely hope so. Hopefully Staios, who has dropped off a cliff this year, goes with him (what kind of a weak-ass line change was that at the end of the game???).

The blueline needs help, badly. Souray and Gilbert were getting rode hard tonight. They were clearly exhausted at the end of the game. Kyle McLaren or Frantisek Kaberle would be a blessing at this point.

Roloson had a solid game, BUT he’s got to make that save on Lombardi. Just have to. However, it should have never come down to being a one shot game at that point.

Time for a little root-cause analysis: Ok, the three shooters screwed up int he shootout, but we would have not been there if the Oilers had closed the deal in regulation. HOWEVER, we would have not been in a position for one shot to tie it IF the Oilers powerplay took care of business tonight.

Fourth straight game, the Oilers had an extended 5-on-3, and for the fourth straight game, they do NOTHING with it. Everyone’s standing around IF they actually get set up in the O-zone, if they get that far. The units made no sense either – Penner-Horcoff-Cole works at ES, but not on the PP. Nilsson-Gagner-Hemsky? Who’s supposed to go to the front and play garbageman? Those combinations are a mess.

Last year, during the stretch run, Penner-Gagner-Hemsky had some success. Why not give that another shot? Then have Nilsson with Horcoff and Cole on unit 2. This way, there’s a finisher, a mucker and a passer on each unit. Makes sense, right?

I’ll be interested to see the Dennis scoring chance count for this one. By my eye, the Oilers outplayed the Flames for a good chunk of regulation and probably SHOULD have had two points tonight.

Four games until trade deadline: Columbus, Tampa, Minnesota and Nashville. We need at least three wins in this stretch, especially in the HTH’s against the Wild and BJ’s. If they go 1-2-1 or worse, it’s time to sell. Start with Moreau and Staios – I still wish that we’d at least make an attempt to keep Cole around, but a little bird tells me it won’t matter, as his heart is still on Tobacco Road…..

And oh yeah – props to Reddox for his game tonight. Not the biggest fan of that Ginger Kid (even though I probably should be, considering my genetics), but damn he played his bag off tonight.

48. Traktor says:

Edmonton also has the 3rd worst home record in the WC – insinuating everything is rosy because we played some road games in the last 10 is pretty stupid.

49. dubya says:

Was also there…apparently Roli didn’t hear me screaming, “He’s going to the backhand”

50. HBomb says:

dubya: Weak goal by Bertuzzi in the shootout, yes.

But it should have never gotten to that point in the first place.

51. PunjabiOil says:

Yep….there goes 20% of my tax return

Providing the government with considerable interest free loans?

You can reduce your payroll installments.

As for Moreau, the guy takes a lot of dumb penalties, but I think he gets too much flack on this board. If you move him, you better well get a player than can replace the positives he brings to the table. As we’ve seen, the Stoll’s and Reasoner’s are more difficult to replace than in theory.

52. Traktor says:

“As we’ve seen, the Stoll’s and Reasoner’s are more difficult to replace than in theory.”

Finding Stoll and Reasoner replacements is no easy task, especially when Brodziak and Pouliot are blocking our view.

The fact that neither received the opportunity at 3C is the only tell one needs against MacTavish – he’s the sucker at the table and he’s been on tilt since Reasoner left town.

53. Lord Bob says:

Ethan Moreau’s best on-ice attribute is that he consumes oxygen that could otherwise find its way into the lungs of opposition players.

54. HBomb says:

Bingo. He’s in sulk mode.

They’ve played Cogliano there, who can’t win a faceoff, and they’ve played a converted winger in Pisani at that spot.

It’s like he’s trying to show up the coach by saying “you won’t give me Marty Reasoner, I’m not going to give Pouliot or Brodziak a shot”. From 20,000 feet above, it could almost look childish. It is the indication of a disconnect.

It’s the reason I think that, if they miss the playoffs (or make it and exit early), MacT may quit before he’s even asked to do so.

55. Dennis says:

Better late than never: http://www.mc79hockey.com/?p=3077

I thought the Oilers were horrible. I have them down for just nine EV chances.

56. CrazyCoach says:

Almost 24 hours later and I’m finally writing on a game that pissed me off bigtime.

I bet Mark Lee was/is that asshole on every hockey team you’ve played on who uses the “S” word in the last five minutes of a game. Canucks fans used to call that pulling a Larscheid. OH yeah, it Ales to you piece of crap, not Alex. For gods sake I could say Yakushev and Kharlamov when I was four.

Shawn Horcoff was awesome last night. I wish he could come to one of practices and show my players how to take a draw. He certainly showed the Flames how last night.

That blown lead could really come back to bite the boys in the ass. Maybe it was the Flames, maybe it was because it was the first game I’ve watched from start to finish in a long time, but it had an eerie feeling to it.

Moreau took 2-3 shots from an impossible angle tonight (Goal line) and each time the puck rung around the boards and out of the offensive zone. Why that was the only option I’ll never know.

I won’t feel so bad tonight if I go on a breakaway and can’t get a shot off. Hell, three pro hockey players can’t go in alone untouched and do the damn job.

Bertuzzi is still the biggest pussy in the world and the fact that he got the winner pisses me off more than anything.

« Older Comments