Habs at Oilers, G54/08-09

This is Jean-Claude Tremblay. In the time I’ve been watching NHL hockey, he’s the Hab defender who most resembles Lubomir Visnovsky. Wonderful skaters, stickhandlers and free spirits who never really complied to the wishes of button-down coaches.

JC Tremblay was a wonderful player, he would play keepaway for ages on the PK and make butter head-man passes on the powerplay. He also played center from time to time.

Legend has it that Tremblay was converted to defense (from left wing) towards the end of the 1957-58 season by Scotty Bowman. He was named to the 1st All-Star team in 1971 and the 2nd All-Star team in 1968.

Once he moved to the WHA he became the class of the league, winning top defender in the league twice.

After retiring, Tremblay got into scouting and worked Europe for the Habs for a decade or so beginning in 1985. In 1994, JC Tremblay died of cancer in his only kidney. His other kidney had been donated to his daughter in 1979.

Montreal’s Canadiens don’t look like Cup contenders right now although that is the expectation from hockey’s most rabid fanbase. The Habs opponents tonight are the Edmonton Oilers, a team in the NHL’s western conference.

387 Responses to "Habs at Oilers, G54/08-09"

Newer Comments »
  1. Black Dog says:

Lets go Oilers! clap clap clap clap clap

LT – when you get a sec could you update your link to me please – its now http://www.blackdoghatesskunks.com – the old link doesn’t seem to work.

Thank ye kindly!

2. HBomb says:

Clap clap.

BD: Done. I’ve been clicking onto your stuff from other blogs and hadn’t noticed. LOVE your stuff btw.

4. bookie says:

Quote from Hemsky “It’s nice to stick with the same players for a little while, get the chemistry, get the line going.”

My primary beef with MacT is the line scrambler approach. I would bet that most of the Oilers would feel the same. It is the classic sign of overcoaching, trying to find magic formulas all of the time instead of having patience.

5. oilerdago says:

Montreal’s coming in on a road losing streak. It seems like everyone comes to Edmonton to get their road mojo back.

Would be nice if the boys showed up and played tonite.

Clap clap.

6. Black Dog says:

Thanks LT.

Three kids, man, and they’re all mental, as are we.

I could post five times a day if I could find a minute to myself.

7. raventalon40 says:

A game we might actually win: the Habs have lots of injured players and the Oilers have lots of injured players. The difference may come down to special teams, for which I would give the edge to Edmonton (surprisingly), and goaltending, for which I would give the edge to Montreal.

8. Doogie2K says:

I have no idea what I’m going to do with this game. I think Edmonton needs the win more than Montreal, yet I’m wearing my Habs jersey to school today. I think I’m gonna root for a three-point game; no harm in that.

Thank God this only happens twice a year.

9. raventalon40 says:

FMNF.

Oilers over Habs in a shootout.

5-4

10. raventalon40 says:

Considering our lack of offense, I’ll have to change that to 3-2

11. Coach pb9617 says:

The Canadians are in the top five most-hated teams on my list, so the Oilers will lose.

Toronto
    Dallas
    Vancouver
    Montreal
    Anaheim

Oilers lose to these teams all of the time.

12. Shayne says:

“The Habs opponents tonight are the Edmonton Oilers, a team in the NHL’s western conference.”

LT, why do you keep saying that? I know you are down on the Oil right now, and I can see the humor in it, but it’s discouraging. The Oilers give me enough of that during games don’t ya know!

13. Lord Bob says:

Oilers lose to the Habs lots – a much smaller number.

Rob Daum is brought up to coach the NHL team within twenty-four hours.

14. Doogie2K says:

@Shayne: LT being negative seems to help. Not as much as Stan Weir, mind you, but we need to save him for special occasions.

15. Traktor says:

Love it.

The Habs play the same type of game as Chicago or Buffalo and they’re coming off a 6-2 loss. No 71 and this has the makings of another blowout.

16. Swabbubba says:

hmm PPV and Old Jersey can u say f*%ked. I say we offer up a sacrifice to the Hockey Gods. Anybody got Prongers furniture.. wait we might need that he is being shopped

With Hemmer’s new aerodynamic do Oilers 4-2

So say the deluded southern Oil Fan

17. raventalon40 says:

Rob Daum is brought up to coach the NHL team within twenty-four hours.

So the Oilers play their way to an 11-1 blowout and Pat Quinn as the new coach??? Say it aint true …

FMNF.

18. kamus says:

Isn’t it pretty dirty for the Oilers to put this game on PPV?
    Don’t tell me TSN or Sportsnet didn’t want to broadcast it.

Maybe part of the profits will fund Jagr

19. hunter1909 says:

The Habs might not be winnng the cup this season, but they’re not in total disarray like the OIlers.

They have a good coach(unlike the Oilers), a good general manager(unlike the OIlers), and a fairly solid looking hockey club(unlike the Oilers.

Each season 29 NHL teams automatically become also rans. The difference between the Habs and Oilers is: next season the Habs just MIGHT put it all together.

The Oilers on the other hand, don’t have a cat’s ass chance in hell of ever putting it together, not with this pathetic “team”.

End of(excellent) rant.

20. hunter1909 says:

Unlike the stupid Oilers, the Habs have a deep understanding of their history. because of this, I’ll predict a 6-2 habs win.

21. quain says:

I don’t watch the East a lot, but aren’t the Habs about to have half their team hit UFA? Including three guys who are well into their 30′s and underperforming this year?

The chances of the Habs pulling it together next season seem to hinge on their kids taking a step up and filling out the top six admirably, or resigning old guys who suck right now but hopefully won’t suck next season.

Maybe I’m just not familiar with the pedigree of their young guys and prospects (beyond Carey Price), but if there’s a team that screams ‘closing window’ it’s probably the Habs.

22. relic says:

hunter: had a good chuckle over your mixed up idioms there… i think you mean snowballs chance in hell, and… not sure about the cat one though… maybe tough to swing a cat in the oiler offices and not hit someone who should be fired? maybe that doesn’t really work…

still I think you over estimate the habs and under estimate the oil as per quains post there.

23. Unleaded says:

Damn it Hunter, I really wish you wouldn’t trash the Oilers like you did in your earlier post. You have some good points, and I think many people here agree with you but making them when using words like “stupid” and “pathetic” to describe the team that all of us care for does nothing to help anyone, and serves to make the rest of us more bitter and unhappy as a result of the negativity.

All of us here are unhappy with our team’s “underacheivement” or the “unrealistic” expectations for the team this year. No one wanted to watch the Oilers in those three blowouts to Detroit, Chicago, or Buffalo either. And were all hurt by the seeming indifference by the team, the coach, and management. Hell, I was at the Chicago game, and the only thing that kept me in my seat until the end of the game was waiting for the 50/50 number, and then confirming that the winner was actually still there. It was horrific.

Booing the team when they’re playing like ass doesn’t help. Sure you let them know you’re pissed, but then what? They still feel like shit, and it doesn’t change the results. So what’s a fan to do? The only thing we can do – keep cheering, and hope that they realize that we still believe that they can turn it around. So that maybe they beleive that they can turn it around. Maybe they find that extra gear, the little bit more energy, that moment when everything slows down and you see your teammate charging the net, and know that if you shoot the puck now it’ll hit twine.

I know I don’t have any more or less right to rant on here than you do. I just hope you’ll consider how what you rant about will affect the other people on here. All of this hubbub about Jagr (whether true or not) just reminded me that there is always hope. Maybe a fools hope, but it’s still hope.

I’ll take a fools hope over despair any day.

24. Derek says:

^ I agree. Also, sweet mullet dude.

Has there been any talk of Hemsky playing injured the past few games or is he just slumping? The production hasn’t completely tailed off but man has his game been fragile the past few.

The teams #1 on the backend is gone for the rest of the season, should this team not look at being sellers come March 4th?

25. Icecastles says:

I would love to see what the viewing numbers are of the PPV games through this season, and how much tail-off there is.

At the start of the year, I bought cable for the first time in my life so I could continue to get Oilers games from my new home in Winnipeg. I even dedicated a chunk of my university student budget to PPV games and until January I’d not missed a single Oil game in four years. But I didn’t bother to buy the last PPV and I’m sure not buying this one.

I hate when fans boo the team – it’s why I hate Canucks fans so much. It’s rude and classless, and it certainly doesn’t help anything. But after a certain point, paying for these games starts making me feel like a sucker.

I want so badly to support the team and I want so much to continue to believe, but it is beginning to feel like the abused spouse who keeps returning home, thinking that “he really means well, it won’t happen again”. I think it is time to recognize the pattern and tell the team that until they get counselling, we’re going to stay with our sister.

Sorry for the negativity. I’ve been up all night finishing a paper. Then I wrote an exam. And my prof was wearing a Habs cap.

26. doritogrande says:

Icecastles:

Nice to meet another Winnipeg soul. UofM or the shitty university?

Hopefully, the Winnipeggers here will outnumber the lawyers. It’s probably wishful thinking though, I’ve heard you guys breed like rabbits.

27. goldenchild says:

On a positive note, if the Oilers get blown out early tonight i can tune in to Duke – Carolina.
    clap clap

28. Icecastles says:

Doritogrande: University of Manitoba, studying Architecture. And I don’t know any other fans in my faculty. We should catch a game at BP some time.

Trying to graduate in time to design the new arena for Mr Katz. And another one for the Winnipeg Coyotejets.

29. doritogrande says:

Icecastles:

Zoology major, Environmental sciences minor. I’ve got a class with another poster here, goes by the handle Showerhead. He’s lazy and doesn’t show up to class (not that I blame him) but he’s a great hockey mind. Works at the campus watering hole.

I gave up on the Jets long ago. They’re not coming back here, as Winnipeggers are too cheap. The Moose fit the bill for local hockey just fine IMO.

30. Skay says:

Icecastles:

I finished that program a few years ago and promptly changed careers :( Hopefully you enjoy it more than I did! Though I was the only Oiler fan in the faculty when I was there too. Maybe it’s got something to do with a normally structurally minded person having difficulty supporting an organization that appears to be held together with glue and scotch tape?

Which prof was wearing the Habs hat?

Love the blog, LT. Don’t ever quit.

And GOILERS!
    clap clap

31. chartleys says:

I tip my hat to all those who actually have the balls to predict a score before seeing the lineup…

Me, I’m stuck everyday wondering things like:

How will gagner do if he’s given top paring defensive duty alongside souray?

What kind of ‘impact’ Reddox’s hustle will have on the 1st pp unit

Will our fourth line of Penner, Strudwick and Smac tip the scales?

Way too many unknowns to hazard a guess.

32. doritogrande says:

AHA!

We’re multiplying! Coming out the woodwork!

Two more poor souls to suffer Winnipeg ice storms (seriously, I’m walking like a drunk deer these days) and complain about mosquitoes with.

33. kris says:

I’m not saying this as an insult to Horcoff, but with Pisani coming back soon, should Gagner-Hemsky get a long look this season?

We could have something like:

Penner-Gagner-Hemsky
    Pisani-Horcoff-Cole
    Moreau-Cogliano-Nilson
    Pouliot-Brodziak-Stortini

Seems to me that this is close to, barring trades, the line up of the future anyway.

Line 1 is PVP when possible. Gagner might get killed defensively, but maybe he can finally find a spark offensively. God knows we need offense.

Line 2 takes on the toughs constantly and wins. Pisani moves to the left, which could be a disaster, but we need two left wings who can succeed playing tough minutes. Not a lot of good puck movement, though could result in few goals for all three guys.

Line 3 meets butter soft opposition, which is good, because 2 of these guys are butter soft players right now. And Moreau can put a few lucky shots in the net, as we’ve seen. Moreover, if we’re not gonna put him on the 4th, we might as well play him against the softs.

Line 4. Decent 4th line, can take own zone draws. Poo’s not very physical though.

34. doritogrande says:

Kris:

Drop Moreau to the 4th line while elevating Pouliot to the 3rd, and you got yourself a deal.

In the summer once Cole leaves, you have the option of elevating Pouliot to secondary toughs or trying Brule in that spot.

35. Skay says:

Sorry DG, I’m out in VanCity now. Couldn’t wait to get out of the ‘Peg :)

But now that Mats is starting to play and the Dys have won 3 in a row, maybe I should switch allegiances? The talk out here is whether or not they can tie in the Olympic Torch into the Stanley Cup parade route. It’s all but guaranteed now.

36. Bruce says:

I couldn’t figure why the game was at 8 p.m. and not on the back end of a TV doubleheader. Then it hit me, it is on the back end of a doubleheader … on RDS.

That’s Channel 905 for those on Shaw Cable with the right package, and available on setallite etc. elsewhere. Likely that the TV signal will be a couple of seconds behind Rod’s broadcast — why is that, anyway? — but c’est la vie. I for one don’t mind brushing up on my French once in awhile, in fact I’ve watched and listened to tons of hockey en francais over the years; it will, however, seem stange for a home game.

Whatever, it beats the hell out of paying $15.95 plus applicable “serviced” charges.

37. Schitzo says:

It’s probably wishful thinking though, I’ve heard you guys breed like rabbits.

Man, I need you to convince my wife of that fact.

38. Schitzo says:

Good find, Bruce. Unfortunately, Bell groups RDS with their French package, not the normal sports package. Oh well.

39. Bruce says:

Thank God this only happens twice a year.

Last year you could thank Gary it didn’t happen even once. In fact, this is just the second visit by les Habitants since the Heritage Classic. Way to help the league build on its traditional rivalries, Gary.

I’d call 0-1-1, -5 over the last four games “completely tailed off”. The lonely assist was a second helper on a 5v3 powerplay, hardly any work of Alesian Artistry. According to Dennis over those four games the Oilers have been outchanced 27-9 at evens with Hemsky on the ice, which is even below Moreau’s standards, let alone Hemsky’s. 3:1 against is flat out horrible, and Ales has the -5 to prove it.

Three things that happened in there though: 1) and possibly most importantly, Hemsky was crunched by Dustin Bftsplk early in the Chicago game which is exactly when his production began to plummet. 2) His regular ice mate Visnovsky didn’t finish that game and of course hasn’t played since. 3) His regular linemate Horcoff didn’t finish the next game and hasn’t played since.

Ales is known for being difficult to play with — ask Jarret Stoll about that — so adjustment periods for the likes of Brodziak and Cogliano is to be expected, but my first concern is that he has seemed almost comatose out there at times. I do worry about the state of his now-hairless head. And I have close to Zero trust in the Oilers doing the right thing. (I still can’t believe he finished the Nashville game where this problem first occurred.)

Those four games were tightly bunched, so let’s hope a couple days off and (please!) the return of Horcoff will cure whatever’s been ailing him. The Oilers are right about one thing: they need Ales Hemsky to succeed. But they need the good Ales.

40. Unleaded says:

Damn it guys!

We all need to be doing our part to give Katz the money to buy Jagr out of slavery in Russia. How will he get the money if we are always watching the game for free with these online feeds, or even watching it in French…

If you aren’t taking pain killers for the injuries that continue to gut our team, prozac for the depressing scoring slump, and some kind of blood thinner so you don’t have a stroke the next time the Oilers give up a chance on the PP, you’re not doing enough to support your Oilers!

Get out there to your local Rexall Pharmacy and buy! BUY! BUY! And remember, “Ask not what Katz can do for your Oilers, but what can you do for your Katz!

41. Bill Needle says:

“That’s Channel 905 for those on Shaw Cable with the right package, and available on setallite etc. elsewhere.”
    I’m hopeful, but it’s these sorts of things that the Oilers will try to black out, in their infinite wisdom. Much like the gola viral video.

42. Bruce says:

Somebody at Bell needs to clue in that some of these channels fit the profile of more than one package. Is it rocket science to figure out the French sports channel might have application in both French and sports markets? Why not let people customize their own package, picking exactly the channels they want? We have the technology. Why not include a little service with those service charges? (Or as the late and sadly-missed George Carlin put it, with exaggerated hip thrusts to make his ever-acerbic point crystal clear: “We’re SERVicing this acCOUNT. This CUSTomer needs SERVice.”)

Unleaded: That’s two good rants out of you already today. You’re on a roll.

43. Lord Bob says:

I just robbed my own store, went to the Rexall down the street, and handed them a garbage bag full of filthy lucre marked ‘To: Edmonton Oilers, ATTN: Katz’s Secret Jagr Fund’.

So I did my part. How about you guys?

44. Bruce says:

Bill Needle: RDS is a national feed, like TSN. I don’t think they have the right to black it out. Not that the Oilers might not try anyway.

They have effectively blacked that telecast out of pre-game publicity, which is why the Edmonton Journal published info about the Anaheim at Calgary game on Sportsnet and the Montreal at Edmonton game on PPV but nary a whisper about RDS.

No need to black it out if they can just keep their client base oops fans in the dark.

So for those who might avail yourselves of RDS, I’m happy to have been of “service”. No charge.

45. Unleaded says:

Damn it Bruce. Now I’m torn between just making a regular post to thank the good Lord for doing his part in supporting our local Billionarie, and going on another rant for the glory of a hat trick.

F***!

Just once, I’d like to come here and see that everything is working out according to the grad scheme of things. But no, now I need to come in here and do both. Do you have any idea how much energy it takes to come to terms with my current emotional state and then write a coherant post about while I’m at work without getting in shit from my boss? On a game day? When I’m in my jersey? And have publicly stated I am going to the game tonight? God it’s just enough for a guy to want to tear his own hair out.

Man… you guys need to get me some rogain.

46. Bruce says:

Unleaded: I’m sure Rexall carries hair restoration products. It’s all part of the evil plot.

47. chartleys says:

RE: Pharmaceuticals

Bruce and Unleaded,

Best option, buy gift certificates at rexall, send said certificates to Katz.

To Jagr
    From Desperate Oilersfan

48. Unleaded says:

Bruce, you misunderstand. I’ve already pre-bought all of the rogain available for Rexall Pharmacies in the greater Edmonton Area. I need you to get me some more. MORE ROGAIN!

Unless… if Murphy’s law is applied, as long as I have hair to pull out, I will continue to have situations in which hair-pulling is required. If I lose all my hair… NAIR! MORE NAIR!!! For the Oilers, the bladness, and for KATZ!!!

49. doritogrande says:

Ask not what Katz can do for your Oilers, but what can you do for your Katz!

The occasional saucer of milk and a catnip mouse perhaps?

Oh wait…Did I mix that up?

50. PDO says:

Is it just me.. or would Penner + for Niedermayer make a heck of a lot of sense for both sides?

51. Bruce says:

PDO: It’s just you. I realize there’s been a regime change in Anaheim, but there was a time 18 months ago when Anaheim could have kept Penner simply by matching. Why would they choose to pick up his contract now? I think he’s closer to value than many folk do, but it’s pretty tough to argue that he’s outperforming it to this point. Whereas Niedermayer is still a pretty central player for the Ducks.

How about, say, Penner for Pronger? :D

52. Traktor says:

I’m a Penner fan but the Ducks aren’t going to take him at 4.25 when they have Bobby Ryan putting up a PPG on his entry level contract.

If they trade Niedermayer they’d be smarter to go after guys like Dubinsky, James Neal, Pacioretty, ect..

53. Schitzo says:

Probably depends on the NHL’s TV contract, but the Eskimos black out TSN a half dozen times every season.

54. Jonathan Willis says:

Fairly sure that RDS doesn’t get blacked out; one of my best friends is a Habs fan and he watches most of their games that way.

As for giving Katz money, I’ll start thinking about it when the team wins a game I attend in person. I try to get down for a live game once a year, get te hotel room, by the tickets, etc. and I’ve yet to see the Oilers win live. 4-2 loss, 3-2 loss, 3-1 loss, 3-0 loss. The 3-0 loss was against Calgary and is probably the worst game I’ve ever sat through. I’ll defend Smid time and again but I could have personally traded him that night.

And for the online feeds, any way to get around the NHL’s abysmally stupod blackout restrictions is fine by me (can you tell I’m bitter about living in BC?)

55. Bill Needle says:

I’ll tune into 905 at gametime, and I’ll get “satisfaction” either way; either the Oilers will be on or the game will be blacked out and I can rail against the most pathetic franchise in the NHL and its CFL-style business practices.

56. Phil says:

So I did my part. How about you guys?

I’m going to chime in here for the Calgary based Oiler fans. We’re stuck on the front lines here, man! It’s the Battle of the Bulge, and we’re the 101st Airborne.

You know what’s really fun – going to work after your team gets slobberknocked, and having to walk past a dozen shit-eating-grin wearing Flames fans just to get to your desk. Then having to walk by another dozen just to get a shitty cup of coffee. If I hear “Hey, what’s wrong with your team?” One more goddam time…

57. shepso says:

JW: Preach on man, preach on…I am also living in BC (for another couple more weeks at least) so I am living and dying on the onlie feeds. Hopefully tonight the atdhe.net feed will be alive and well, otherwise I am pretty much screwed…again.

By the way, sorry to blogjack here LT, but Willis, seriously keep up the great work on your sites, especially on the prospects!

58. knighttown says:

OK, enough of this “support Rexall stuff”. I can’t just sit idly by and watch my business shrink away to nothing. I am also the owner of a chain of drug stores about 1/1000 the size of the Katz group. I pledge to buy you Edmonton Oiler fan one Jaromir Jagr and 1 Brendan Witt (take that DK) with my own money if you transfer all you prescription business to me. I will also give you triple Air Miles.

We have 5 locations to serve you and, assuming you leave near Rexall Place, the closest would probably be…Stewiacke Pharmasave. It’s about 40 minutes form Halifax, but it’s west of Halifax so that shortens the drive a touch. If I can somehow get the ever expanding Oiler fan pharmaceutical business, early retirement is mine!

If you decline this offer I shall reveal your entire medication history on this blog and let your birth control using wife know about those Trojans you bought from me the other week.

59. Unleaded says:

WHat do you mean Bill? THe CFL is one of the best run, most successful pro-sports leagues in the world!

I hear we might even be getting a team in Ottawa soon.

60. doritogrande says:

MacT’s giving coaching lessons again. And this time, Carbonneau’s dumb enough to listen.

Tonight’s Habs lineup features Josh Gorges and Mathieu Dandinault.

They’re both playing forward tonight. Dandinault on the second line.

Either MacT is ahead of his time, or he’s bringing good coaches down with him.

61. Temujin says:

The NHL is cracking down on the Justin.tv feeds, but atdhe.net still seems to be working fine.

It seems preposterous to me, that in the year 2009, the NHL is still fighting online streaming transmissions of their product. This isn’t 1985 anymore. Consumers can pretty much get what they want now, and we aren’t held ransom by networks or by a league that is bass-ackwards with marketing.

Isn’t an increased viewership a good thing? Since when did it become a bad thing?

62. Jonathan Willis says:

Isn’t ATDHE out of Sweden?

63. Unleaded says:

Ah, fascism. Everyone thought you died after WWII, but really you just moved into the NHL. All Hail Bettman!

64. Swabbubba says:

Phil just look dead in the eye. Ask them when the Flames have done anything of note? Because the Oilers have been to finals more recently, won the Cup more recently. And we have Gene they have Millions.

What the heck the Flames fans are harmless bunch. I get kick out the shit that goes on. Man the Red Mile what a disaster… the Flames killed the marketing buzz last year. U know it could work out this year a true BOA.

65. Clarkenstein says:

Tonight will be a breeze for the Oil. They never start playing until 8:00 anyway so I’m thinking 3-0 after the first!!

66. Bruce says:

Edmonton 5 Calgary 1

(shut up, Habs fans)

67. Phil says:

@knighttown If I can somehow get the ever expanding Oiler fan pharmaceutical business, early retirement is mine!

Especially if it includes the ‘recreational pharmaceuticals’.

68. hunter1909 says:

Unleaded: I’m very sorry to talk like an ass, however it does appear to come naturally.

I’ll try to consider your wise words in future, however.

It all stems from my exasperation at a once great team, now seemingly headed in the fast lane toward palookaville.

69. Lord Bob says:

The question is, how many dollars go to the NHL from guys watching on Justin.tv? How many guys bought an Ales Hemsky jersey that they otherwise wouldn’t have, for example? Meanwhile, how many guys didn’t buy NHL GameCentre because they know they can get all the streams for free if they look?

Don’t get me wrong, anybody trying to restrict culture is my mortal ideological enemy. I’m just saying that, from a perspective of greed, they’re not completely bass-ackwards.

70. Unleaded says:

@ Clark:

I like your attitude! Let’s hope the team cooperates.

@Hunter:

We’re cool man. If I could emote a knuckle-punch-touch thing, I would. I think this team is some consistent fan support away from really doing something. The energy in Rexall… when it gets moving, its like a freight train. I just want to pick up our guys and give them some momentum tonight for the road trip ahead.

71. Bruce says:

Hunter: I'm sure many of us share your exasperation, but the constant hammering does wear thin at times. Too bad, cuz I think your message, much of which is well-informed and -thought-out, sometimes gets lost in its own din.

When it comes to fandom, I'm not sure "hope" and "logic" belong in the same sentence. The organization's recent track record defines the former even as it defies the latter at times. However, 2006 did reinforce that almost anything is at least Possible. One thing I know for sure is that
    [Hope >>>>> Hopelessness]
    I for one get enough of the latter in the real world.

As for logic, a wise person once pointed out that if this were a logical world it would be the men who ride side saddle.

:D

72. Jonathan Willis says:

Lord Bob: I agree, and I disagree. For example, if simply ordering Rogers Sportsnet was enough for me to watch Oilers’ games, I would do it. In point of fact, if that were the case, I’d get my cable reconnected.

But the fact that the NHL wants me to shell out hundreds of dollars for Centre Ice, when I don’t even care to watch the other nine games that are on whichever night makes me turn to online streams. Since I only watch a handful of shows, I download those or buy them on DVD and skip cable altogether.

All in all, the NHL’s all or nothing approach probably saves me 300-600$/year on my cable bill, and that doesn’t even get into all the money that not watching the ads saves me ;)

73. shepso says:

As a grad student, I have no real income to speak of and far too much time on my hands that should be spent on my thesis, so the streams are the only way I can watch games. I just don’t have the money for anything resembling cable-or internet for that matter…

I’m that guy, you know, the guy that finds unsecured connections and steals bandwidth pretty much at will and with little to no guilt. I am often forced to watch games in public places like coffee shops, wearing headphones to listen to the commentary and get really strange looks from the other patrons when I start cheering or swearing, depending on how the boys play. I think if atdhe goes down, I’m going to become that other guy, you know, the 27 year old grad student who moves back in with his mother, just to be able to have cable again and watch the games. Let’s hope the game tonight is worth the price of a few cups of coffee. clap clap

74. Dennis says:

I have RDS and I’ve had my dish and the same packages for so long that I forget what kind of package it was in. I bought it because of the Expos and fuck do I miss them this time of year.

My worry with RDS tonight is I think I’ll have to watch their coverage because being in the East I believe I have to take the closest feed. But perhaps it’s now broken down into languages and I’ll get to catch the English feed.

It’s been such a long time since the Habs visited the Oil, Dec of ’05, that I can’t remember if I watched it in english or french. Only thing I can remember is 18 scored the winner on the PP by walking in from the usual 83 slot of the left face-off circle and blasting it over Theo’s shoulder.

Everyone here knows of my hatred for Cuntreal or Les Scabitants but it’s not as easy to hate them when they’re bad or just flat out struggling. The thing about Habs fans that’s maddening is there’s so many of them that some of them just watch the playoffs virtually all of them have such a fucking sense of entitlement.

I have no idea how the Oilers will do tonight because I don’t really know how to peg this team. Roli’s been letting in a shit goal for just about every game since the Glenn Anderson ceremony so that will probably continue. 89 has shit luck so that probably keeps going.

And if 83 isn’t on fire, we’re cooked anyway.

To close, a little shout-out to one of the most dominant heavyweights of the modern era: Big Georges Laraque.

The guy’s a year younger than me and I saw him a few games in the A and back then you wondered how such a poor skater could ever score a goal. But he kept developing and his
    ’01 season was oustanding; 13 goals and 29 points and him and Horc and Murray was our fourth line down the stretch. Not sure if you can find the stats but his P/60 must have been great that season.

75. St George says:

It’s worse than that Jonathan. When you buy Centre Ice from your cable company (as I have because in the area of the US I live we don’t get hockey games on the tube), you actually don’t get all the Oilers games. In their infinite wisdom, the NHL network broadcasts games on Wednesday and Saturday and those games are *blocked* from Centre Ice. Here’s the kicker – the Saturday games they broadcast on the NHL Network are just the CBC HNIC feeds, so with the Centre Ice package you miss between 2-4 Canadian teams every Saturday night. For Oiler fans like me, that means that 8 games a year (which is about what they end up playing on HNIC) I don’t get to see despite paying my cable company $175 … to see those games, I have to shell out an additional $10 a month for the NHL Network (which is mostly crap). So, you are looking at $300 or so a year to watch every game, and that doesn’t give you web viewing rights.

Turns out that’s not far off season tickets for my local junior team, so I think next year I may invest in live hockey, not Oilers broadcasts. Long live 630 Ched.

76. Dennis says:

I was reminded to re-check his status after reading about him in today’s Matty mailbag but our old 19 is having quite the year for himself.

Yes, he gets to play 24 games within a shit division – though he’s punished by not being able to play against his own team;) – and the East is weaker than the West but the guy’s clipping along at 24/21 and is posting just a 2.00 GO60

77. bookie says:

For me, all of the pay per view approaches are stupid. I say make every game $0.99 and run ads on them. I would pay. I would also pay $0.25 to watch shows like The Office, etc out of convienience (If I could watch them when I want to), BUT they set up systems to do this and then charge stupid rates like $5.99. So, instead I just download for free.

Sure there is a body of people out there who dont know how to download shows (note the quality is pretty much hdtv unlike our online game feeds) but they are shrinking. The only way to compete is to have small prices.

78. bookie says:

Isn’t it pretty dirty for the Oilers to put this game on PPV?
    Don’t tell me TSN or Sportsnet didn’t want to broadcast it.

It used to be that TSN and Sportsnet get first dibs on games and the Oilers have to work with whatever is left over. Maybe this has changed.

79. Coach pb9617 says:

Yahoo is streaming the game tonight.

80. relic says:

you down south coach? they restrict access to those streams…

81. Doogie2K says:

Tonight’s Habs lineup features Josh Gorges and Mathieu Dandinault.

They’re both playing forward tonight. Dandinault on the second line.

Either MacT is ahead of his time, or he’s bringing good coaches down with him.

Oh, no, Carbo’s way ahead of MacT on this shit. There’s a reason why there’s a tag on Four Habs Fans called “Streit and Dandenault being less than average defenseman does not make them 1st line forwards Carbonneau you monumental asswipe.”

Isn’t ATDHE out of Sweden?

France, I think. The header often says ATDHE.FR on the feed windows.

Edmonton 5 Calgary 1

(shut up, Habs fans)

Twenty four.

Sorry, had to. ;)

Well, I for one suffered through the 6-2 debacle against Calgary. Well, until I passed out from a codeine buzz early in the third. But I tried, dammit. This just in: Montreal’s power play is shit, and they did in style here in Calgary, going 0/-2 on the night. Boy am I glad I didn’t buy that last-minute ticket package for multiple hundreds of dollars.

I just assumed that this was going to be the TSN game and CGY-ANA was going to be PPV, because two Canadian teams > one. I guess that's what the Oilers thought, too.

82. bookie says:

I’m Tired

Has Gene Principe said anything unusual yet?

84. HBomb says:

Ok, time for a drink. I worked 11 hours today, I deserve a rum.

On the Habs – number 1 on my list of old-time players that were “before my time” that I would have loved to see is obviously Bobby Orr.

Number 2 is Jean Beliveau. I’m a huge Sakic fan, and apparently Beliveau was Sakic before Sakic existed.

Anyways, 3rd jerseys, PPV…if this was a Tuesday night, it would be a guaranteed loss!

85. HBomb says:

Dammit Paul, this is Alberta. Sing the whole damn thing in English! Tabarnak!

86. Jfry says:

@bookie, do you know if there’s an adthe one that runs flash…i’m getting 500 internal errors from their site…i’d like to play this through the PS3, as opposed to my lappy

I’m not a singer or anything, but does Paul hit the notes?

88. Doogie2K says:

Jesus. Shades of Buffalo.

Zamboni won’t have to go down to the other end after the first.

90. Doogie2K says:

This one works. Dunno about Flash.

91. Doogie2K says:

I keep forgetting 43′s back on D. I die a little inside very time I see it.

92. Coach pb9617 says:

Jebus please save the defense.

Staios top four? Strudwick playing. Sigh.

Hey, did you guys know that Ethan Moreau is the captain of the Oilers? Just found that out with Quinn saying so. Good insight.

93. Doogie2K says:

Uninspiring sign: “Go Habs Go” drowns out some meek booing by the crowd.

94. geowal says:

@unleaded comments earlier (can’t get the italic tags to work).

Key word here is if the energy gets going. The playoff run was certainly epic there, but for many of the games since it’s pathetically quiet in there, you can here random dudes individual voices yelling on the tv. Watching games in Montreal (over the tv) makes me wish I could make it to a game over there. Most of the American teams, save the real strugglers on attendance (Atlanta, Florida, etc.) appear to have much better crowd support.
    The Rexall crowd seems to have resigned itself to a “let’s go oilers” chant once per period.
    Bit of a rant I know, given I’m somewhat new to posting here (though not reading), but it’s disappointing that I feel compelled to correct people who feel Rexall is a loud building. I wish more had your attitude.

95. Doogie2K says:

AAAAA Garbagekov just misses. Good chance.

Power play.

96. Doogie2K says:

Are there more Habs fans in the building than Oilers fans? I mean, I’m kind of both, but shit, this is sad.

SAMWISE!!!!!!!!

97. Bruce says:

ET LE BUT!!!!!!

98. Coach pb9617 says:

Grebs is forcing Souray like the whole team did the first month. I guess everyone just does that naturally.

Hey, lookie there. The kiddos buzzing like dive bombers on a battleship.

99. Doogie2K says:

Komisarek’s a good defenceman, but he had no idea who to take on that play between 13 and 89.

100. Coach pb9617 says:

The quality of the PPV feed is horrible — it’s like something from 1971.

101. Doogie2K says:

Eight seconds in, that was a Big (Routine) Save by Roloson. Rob Brown told me so.

I’m suddenly missing my PVR.

102. DeBakey says:

Channel 410 on Telus TV

The feed is excellent,
    Benoit Brunet articulatte

103. geowal says:

Brutal sequence by Souray there.

104. oilerdago says:

How does our 4th line wind up out on the ice against the #1 line for the Habs? That was just brutal.

105. Coach pb9617 says:

Komisarek’s a good defenceman, but he has nothing for our beloved fatass.

106. DeBakey says:

Souray started it – the brutal part

He’s nervous or sumthin’

107. Coach pb9617 says:

Par for the MacCourse.

108. Doogie2K says:

That was a bit of vintage Hemmer right there. Well, except for the stuffing-it-into-Price’s-leg-pad part, but baby steps.

109. Bruce says:

Doogie: 24:5 is a much less impressive ratio than 5:1. Mind you, from a Calgary perspective 1:24 is just embarrassing.

I keep forgetting 43′s back on D. I die a little inside very time I see it.

Yeah, but he’s playing Right D. He’s a new man over there.

(Fuck, do we miss Lubo in our end.)

110. oilerdago says:

Zorg!!!!

111. Doogie2K says:

Who was that? The feed froze.

Was that Our Man Zorg?

112. Bruce says:

ZOOOORRRRG!!!!!

113. oilerdago says:

Cogs!!!

(dang, I’m havin fun tonite!)

114. quain says:

Good lord, did they cover the puck in grease?

115. shepso says:

WOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!

116. gerald78 says:

price is self-destructing

117. Doogie2K says:

True. 4.8:1 is technically less impressive than 5:1. Just wait, though: this year’s the year. Drive For Twenty-Five. ;)

COGS!!!!!!

118. Tyler says:

Is it really foggy at the Rex or are the Oilers shooting this game with a camcorder?

Cogs had dipped down to a 14.6% entering tonight…getting close to his faceoff win percentage.

119. Scott says:

Wow this does look like the Buffalo game… except… bwahahahahahahaha

120. Coach pb9617 says:

The CAPTAIN Ethan Moreau comes through again!

121. Coach pb9617 says:

The puck is covered in KY.

122. Bruce says:

Carey Price lets in more weird goals than anybody. I know all the hype is he’s the next one in the line of Vezina-Durnan-Plante-Dryden-Roy, but from my couch he seems mighty fragile.

That was freakin’ terrible.

123. Doogie2K says:

And Clarkenstein gets the Kreskin Award for this:

124. Coach pb9617 says:

Cell phone. This feed is so shitty.

14.6 is higher than his faceoff % over the last five.

125. gerald78 says:

i thought the feed was just back because i’m getting it on center ice. are people who are paying for the ppv getting this bad of a feed too? pathetic if so

126. Scott says:

I assume this is about the Oilers way back before I can really remember given your previous comments about MacT and the 2006 run which leads me to one question. How long were you asleep during the early and mid nineties?

127. Coach pb9617 says:

Souray and Staios are fun to watch together. Neither one has any idea how to move the puck out of the zone on their own.

128. Doogie2K says:

Hm, the feed looks fine in the ATDHE box, other than the freezing every 30 seconds. Maybe it’s just being shot in SD instead of HD?

129. Bruce says:

Staios tees up the point man so nicely we should try him on OUR powerplay.

130. Doogie2K says:

Oh Garbagekov.

131. Coach pb9617 says:

Grebs rocking the acid tonight. It’s the kind that makes him think that only Souray can have the Gargoyle.

132. gerald78 says:

rare (but nice) to be on the good side of such a woodshed beating for a change.

133. geowal says:

A goal for each line in the first period, great to see, don’t know if I’ve ever seen that before with this team.

134. Doogie2K says:

FATSO!!!!!!

135. oilerdago says:

Alessss Hemmmmmssssskkkkyyy!!!

136. Scott says:

To reiterate:

Bwahahahahahahaha

137. gerald78 says:

spoke too soon

138. Doogie2K says:

DANDY!!!

Where the fuck was Roli going on that one?

139. oilerdago says:

The track meet is on.

140. RiversQ says:

Rob Brown is really fixated on Hemsky’s newly shaven head.

Go figure.

141. Coach pb9617 says:

That video of Roloson is going on the failblog.

142. Tyler says:

Yes Gene, it’s ok – nobody thinks you ever say anything bad about anyone.

143. Lord Bob says:

The Habs are so sick-looking and feeble tonight, I spent ten minutes wondering why all the Oilers were playing against Robbie Alomar.

144. Doogie2K says:

Wow, I’ve never actually seen Rob Brown on one of these telecasts before. Man, does he ever look like a twat.

145. Bruce says:

Dwayne Roloson just channeled Carey Price. That was just freakin’ brutal.
    Those may be the two worst goals I’ve seen this entire season. Just when we’re walking to the room with a 4-0 lead, we just fucking give them one. Hopefully it won’t hurt us in the end, but this team NEVER takes the easy way out.

3 goal lead is the most dangerous lead in hockey.

Someone had to say it. :-)

How do you say wow in French? Hard-hitting stuff Gene!

Oilers with a 3-goal lead with 40 to go. Pass the Pepto!

148. Doogie2K says:

@Woodguy: Technically, the four-goal lead is the most dangerous lead in hockey.

149. oilerdago says:

oui oui LT

150. bookie says:

sorry folks, I messed up on the fullscreen I will fix it and get back to you.

151. Coach pb9617 says:

Either the feed is horrible, or Stauffer has teeth that are
    this color.

152. Doogie2K says:

@Coach: I was just noticing that myself. It’s really jarring; I guess they don’t need Crest Whitening Strips for the radio show.

153. Icecastles says:

Boookiiieeeee! Thanks dude! That’s awesome. Go figure I finally give up and don’t buy the game and they score four in the first. At least I get to see the final two periods and remaining six goals by the Oilers now.

In other news, Hemsky looks like the most badass cancer patient ever.

154. geowal says:

Stauffer thinks MacT doesn’t have time to develop Deslauriers and will run Roli down the stretch.

If only we hadn’t had the time to ‘develop’ Pisani into centre, Cole into LW, etc…

155. shepso says:

in Roli’s defense, the D let him hang out to dry there… Roli went for a wander but the puck was out of reach and outside the trapezoid, so he had little choice but to bail and get back in the crease. Cogs and (I think it was) Strudsie and Ladi kinda shat the bed there too. It was a bad goal, but it wasn’t totally Roli’s fault.

I think the Oilers will be way more active at the deadline than Stauffer/Rishaug described there.

G, D, F. Improvement needed in all 3 areas.

157. bookie says:

Ok, I think I have it now

Try clicking this

Full Size Game

That may open in a media player embedded in Facebook or Chrome for you. If it does you should be able to right click and then zoom to fullscreen.

158. Coach pb9617 says:

That wasn’t development time. That was pouting.

159. Lord Bob says:

The Edmonton Oilers are playing the Montreal Canadians tonight, a team from the East Coast Hockey League.

Apparently.

160. oilerdago says:

LT – you’re right about their needs. Thing is, you better get some real difference makers because the gap between the top 4 in the west and the Oilers is huge right now.

They’d be very luck to get to 1 win in a series against any of the teams above them (ok, maybe 2 against Calgary).

161. Dennis says:

Chances: 9-9; Mtl 8-6 EV; Oilers 3-1 ST.

This isn’t a three goal lead game but Price gave up one awful goal and another suspect goal; on the other hand, Roli chimed in with his SGPG:
    Shitty Goal Per Game.

162. Doogie2K says:

Intermission listening: so apparently Dream Theater does a really solid cover of “Funeral for a Friend/Love Lies Bleeding”. Who knew?

163. bookie says:

Choosing 200% is better than fullscreen.

Sorry for filling up the postings for all of those of you who pay for the game and think we are a bunch of lowlifes for ‘stealing’ it.

From now on I will only talk about hockey. Robbie Shcremp would totally make a better coach than Craig MacCantcoachayoutubestarintothenhlTavish.

164. Icecastles says:

Wow you guys weren’t kidding about the image quality. Maybe they decided the retro jerseys weren’t quite vintage enough. If it *looks* like we’re watching a video from the 80s, the score *has* to reflect that, right?

165. Coach pb9617 says:

Deadline moves:

Cole for #4 dman signed longer term.

Schremp for Reasoner.

Trade Grebs for a LW in the offseason.

Arrange date for THE CAPTAIN ETHAN MOREAU and Alomar’s wife.

166. Traktor says:

If Lowe goes after a goalie then he’s got to be much better than Roli and I can’t see it being a rental either – I’m thinking Pascal Leclaire or Kari Lehtonen. Both guys with injury history but Lowe loves his potential.

167. Hemsky is a gangsta says:

Studying at UofA campus, anyone want to fill me on on what Stauffer and Rishaug said?

168. more green says:

Bookie: Your feeds not working for me. Do I need Chrome or Facebook or to be in North America?

169. oilerdago says:

This is not good at all.

170. Doogie2K says:

5 on 3. Hope Garbagekov’s alright.

Time to go for a pee break.

171. Traktor says:

I want blood.

172. Doogie2K says:

I’m not sure I can justify five for that. I don’t think Pleks was looking to hurt him, I just think he was looking to get around him.

173. Icecastles says:

Retribution time.

174. Lord Bob says:

Give Grebeshkov a blotter and he’ll be back in time for the third.

175. bookie says:

@more green

I don’t know, I had to install the windows media player plug in on Firefox to make it work. it did not work in IE.

try clicking straight from here, it might work out for you

176. Lord Bob says:

SHOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOT.

177. Doogie2K says:

Oh for fuck’s sakes, I’m not one to yell SHOOOOOOT, but that’s just way too cute. 83 could’ve shot that before Komi got to him.

178. oilerdago says:

To lose Grebs and then have such a garbage(kov) power play…

I think I’ll puke now.

179. Icecastles says:

And that, my friends, is why we are in ninth and not alone in fifth. Killer instinct.

180. Bruce says:

Dennis: I knew instantly what you meant by SGPG without reading past the acronym. :)

Oh for fuck’s sake, that doesn’t look good at all. Fucking dirty slewfoot, right into the boards. Plekanec needs to answer for that.

It would help if we answered by sticking the puck in the goddam net. Instead, Hemsky killed the penalty for them. A two-man advanatge is not the time to institute The Stall.

181. more green says:

Bookie: Sweet, got it. Thanks bud.

Boy, Montreal might need a shakeup trade more than we do.

183. Coach pb9617 says:

Uh huh. That’s why he slewfooted him. To get around him. I see.

Stauffer gave his recipe for Saffron, Turmeric, Corn, Garlic, Coffee and Cigarette toothpaste.

184. Lord Bob says:

Somewhere in Springfield, Cody Wild is staring at the telephone.

185. Doogie2K says:

I’m watching this play again, and I really don’t think Plekanec meant to do that. I think he was just trying to bump Grebs out of the way. Maybe it’s my blinders here, but I just don’t see the ill intent.

186. gerald78 says:

on first glance that looks like a season ender for grebs. don’t think it will be possible to make up for having both 71 and 37 out for the season.

187. Schitzo says:

Watching with no sound – have they said how bad it is?

188. Doogie2K says:

@Coach: I mean, I see that he slew-footed him, I just don’t think that it was intent to injure.

189. Traktor says:

Grebs is out for the year. Guy couldn’t even move.

I think it was pretty filthy.

191. shepso says:

“Somewhere in Springfield, Cody Wild is staring at the telephone” would be the somewhat logical decision, but Taylor Chorney is already packing his bags and having a look at his e-ticket, bitching that he doesn’t have a window seat.

192. Bruce says:

Doogie: It was a slewfoot. And a damn dangerous one, five feet from the boards. That was one of the dirtiest plays I’ve seen in quite a while.

Keep your head up “Pleks”, you fucking prick.

193. gerald78 says:

apparently BG said he would rather score a goal than fight tonight. has he ever said differently?

194. Lord Bob says:

Ladies and gentlemen, the Andrew Cogliano as a Center show just lost a faceoff to Matt D’Agostini!

195. Doogie2K says:

Well, I’m okay with being in the minority on this one. I’ll blame the shitty feed. Whatever.

196. shepso says:

what a brutal hit. Huggybear should really take his pound of flesh from “Pleks”…maybe get the gordie howe trick tonight? That’d sure be something

Suspension and intent to injure should be in this debate.

197. bookie says:

George could either dedicate himself to fighting and be someone that everyone remembers for the next 50 years OR he could dedicate himself to hockey and probably be a20 point guy (who can beat the crap out of anyone at will). Instead he worries about radio shows and the rest of life.

His choice, but he could have more if he dedicated himself.

198. Bruce says:

If that’s four minutes I’m going to throw up.

199. oilerdago says:

Just saw the replay again. There is no freaking doubt that Pleks did that with intent. I just hope he got his ankle up in time to avoid the worst, but we’ll have to see.

Newer Comments »