Hawks at Oilers, G50/08-09

Tonight, Edmonton plays a young team that looks for all the world like the early days of the Boys on The Bus Oilers.

Chicago has been close to winning the Stanley a few times over the last 48 seasons (since winning it all in 1961 when the fellow in the picture was 13). The Hawks were in the finals in 1962, 1965, 1971, 1973 and 1992. That’s 5 trips, or about 1 a decade. So they’re due big time, and of course the hockey Gods owe them a Stanley (this isn’t a Cubs-length drought but it’s epic) sometime before we all die.

I think this club does it and probably in the next 4 years. There is just so much talent and across positions and skill sets. If they spend their free agency money wisely (and get goaltending) they could have a Red Wing style run where Chicago celebrates two or three times over a 6-year period. If they ever got Roberto Luongo’s name on a free agent contract I’d follow the NBA until my pension kicks in.

As for the Edmonton Oilers, they’re a hockey club in trouble. Coach MacT has resorted to new forms of punishment, so if Dustin Penner comes out slow tonight we might see something similar to Warden Norton sending Andy Dufresne to solitary confinement.

Ladies and gentlemen, your 2008-09 Edmonton Oilers: Get busy living, or get busy dying.

284 Responses to "Hawks at Oilers, G50/08-09"

Newer Comments »
  1. HBomb says:

Orr in a Hawks jersey looks like Gretzky in a Kings, Blues OR Rangers uniform, Joe Montana in a Chiefs jersey, or Michael Jordan in the colors of the Washington Wizards.

Just. Plain. Wrong.

Past San Jose and Detroit (aka, the “Big two”), Chicago’s in the argument with Boston and Washington in the “3rd best team in the league” debate, aren’t they? They’ve got some serious money coming off the books this summer in Havlat and Khabibulin. Yes, they do have a bunch of RFA’s, but neither of them are named Kane or Toews.

Do they maybe make a run at a Hossa this summer with some of that cash? Or is a value 1-2 year contract for Havlat to return a smarter route?

The Huet deal’s the weird one on their roster. How that guy got Vokoun money, I do not understand.

2. Gord says:

Kudos on the Shawshank reference…damn good movie.

A lot of good reasons to be a Hawks fan right now. One of the best young cores in the league…and they figured out how to run the team off the ice as well.

While we likely come out on the losing end…should be an entertaining tilt tonight.

3. Black Dog says:

Out for dinner on Saturday with some old friends and the subject of being a fan came up. A long discussion about the Hawks, once my team, and what Bill Wirtz did to kill the franchise, along with Bob Pulford.

I’m glad to see them doing well and as you say LT I have a sneaking suspicion that they will be celebrating a Cup there before they do in Edmonton.

The fans deserve it. I saw a game at the old Chicago Stadium and it was an experience unlike any other.

4. danny says:

As i have sit back and watched the response to MacTs latest scolding, i have come to the realization that, we are no different from ladies watching their daily soap operas.

Emotionally invested to a medium of entertainment, and even the keenest minds get sucked into the rollercoaster.

If its not one thing, its another. And next week there will be another.

Outbursts, for the lack of a better word, such as LT and Jonathan have exhibited recently regarding the Oilers head coach, is probably mostly an emotional response, but the troubling thing is that is caused by a coach doing much of the same.

The head guy isn’t as cool calm and collected as he once was.

And just as I easily understand LT/J’s latest ‘outburst’s, I understand MacTs as well.

Nothings changed. This isn’t a MacT team. The guys smart, and he probably knows the compete level on this team 85% of the time will be their ultimate undoing. their fatal flaw, their achilles heel.

I’d like to think we all know that.

danny: I’ve always cheered for teams that built their rosters in logical fashion. The actual makeup didn’t really matter (witness Herzog’s Cards versus Earl’s O’s) but teams that have a plan and stick to it are enjoyable.

Equally ridiculous is that people are so quick to trust despite evidence. Ryan Rishaug reported a bag skate yesterdat afternoon which was covered up quickly and described as a 15-minute tea party afterwards.

Doesn’t anyone wonder about this? The Edmonton Oilers are very close to what MC desbribes in his blog today.

And yes, I’ve reacted to it. This is my team, I’m completely justified in speaking out and will do so even if they back a zamboni across my driveway.

The organization has passed through into a new dimension, with paranoia the only thing you can count on.

6. digger says:

I probably shouldn’t dwell on this since it won’t really accomplish anything, but I’ve often wondered how different the rebuilds of both Chicago and Edmonton would compare today if Washington had decided to win that final home game in ’07 vs. Buffalo, instead of lose it 2-0?

7. danny says:

I really have no reason to think Rishaug was stretching the truth, although I don’t discount that as a possibility. I simply don’t know.

What I do know is that MacT isn’t the same MacT we have had here seasons before. And every indication is that its a product of frustration with the hand that has been dealt to him.

Dating back to no goaltending, Smid as a rookie top 4 dman, no veteran centre. Its like groundhog day with a new twist every season.

This years team has a lot more soft players than any old Oiler teams. Theyre being led by a throwback coach that asked for Marty Reasoner and was probably told that Pouliot was his guy.

Theres a rift there. We’re watching the backdraft.

I think Stefano is behind all of this. Since Marleena was possessed by satan, that guy has had something up his sleeve.

8. goldenchild says:

I hope the hawks dont cover the over under by themselves. Again.

btw the NBA has a bunch of quality young PG’s the key to good NBA basketball, the top level guys Lebron, Kobe, Wade, Howard are playing must see games almost nightly add in the quintesential teams like Spurs and Celtics and well LT you could do worse.

9. doritogrande says:

Hbomb:

The word on the Hawks right now is that they’re trying to extend Havlat. It’s a good venture if it’s a short-term contract. The dude’s injury prone but he’s a game-breaker when healthy. I’ll go on record as saying I liked the Huet signing, regardless of what others think. He had a couple good seasons with the Habs, and took the Capitals on a Roloson-esque run last season. With Khabibulin coming off the books they’ll still have that #1 guy left in the system. Which is something our humble team hasn’t exactly addressed. And I’m almost compelled to cheer for the Hawks because of the local talent they’ve harvested from the Winterpeg. Barker and Toews should be able to provide leadership for the next decade.

The only thing holding the Hawks back, IMO, is the sad truth that they play in the same division as the Red Wings. Quennville may have something to say about that however. They hit the home-run when they hired that man.

10. oilerdago says:

//The Oilers in the Lowe/MacT era had a plan and have lost their way. Their reaction to the roster they built is galling to say the least and especially in light of what could have been.//

LT – could not have summed it up better. It’s a team in transition (Stauffer has said this too) that does not know what it is – highly skilled or a bunch of muckers and the performance has been uneven (to say the least).

And again, while I think a lot of MacT I don’t know that he’s got the answers for this roster and his moves smack of frustration (Penner), desperation (Pisani at C and so on) and anger (at Lowe for what he’s done/not done with certain players/signings).

I can’t imagine that he’s happy with the team that he was dealt and I would not surprised if he finishes the season, the team just missing the playoffs and he quits.

I just can’t see him coming back to another year of this because worse than the ship being off course, no one knows what the course is.

11. Black Dog says:

True dg but the Wings can be had I believe. Their goaltending is meh. Lidstrom, by all accounts, is beginning to lose a step finally.

And even with Zetterberg’s great contract its unlikely that they can keep Hossa and Franzen and Hudler. Maybe they lose two of those guys.

Maybe not this year but I think they might be overtaken next year and the years following.

12. hunter1909 says:

Seeing Orr other than in a B’s jersey makes me want to vomit.

MacT IS that warden from the Shawshank movie.

MacT should be a good head coach, but for this Oilers team, he flat out stinks.

Penner’s a good player. Why not just banish him to a lower line, if he’s blowing? He’s also a highly intelligent person. I can see it, just from the look in his eyes. Obviously the 3rd string dynasty dudes don’t see what I see, otherwise they might have a bloody well clue how to utilise Penner’s talents.

Of course you know why MacT doesn’t mind whipping Dustin. That contract. It’s not like he’s going anywhere soon.

13. Coach pb9617 says:

That’s not an excuse. He gets paid handsomely to play the hand that’s dealt to him. If he can’t maintain professionalism in doing so, and feels that he must throw tantrums publicly and pout to the press, he should tender his resignation.

14. Unleaded says:

I don’t know if these line projections are accurate, but judging from what I read today, they could happen. My thoughts are below:

27-51-78 = 2nd toughs line. As far as development goes, I like it. Not great for this season, but I think it has potential.

12-10-83 = trying to pad Nilsson’s contract before the trade deadline. I’m not convinced it’s great for the PP, but if that is why it’s happening, I’m happy abotu it.

18-89-26 = trying to find moreau some softer minutes. I’d rather see cogs here, but this is better than him playing the second toughs.

4th line = Ugly? Cogs, Storts, Potulny, Reddox, SMac, Struds…
    13-21-46 doesn’t sound that bad… but I suppose it depends how they actually line it up, but you’d have to think against chicago that they’d go with something like that because the Oil will need the extra scoring.

If this is indeed what happens… the Oilers would be playing with 4 scoring lines, wouldn’t they?

Isn’t that what we’ve been asking for? For a long freakin time?

15. HBomb says:

Unleaded: so Moreau on a line with Gagner and Cole, and Cogliano banished to the 4th line?

That would be, in a word, terrible.

16. Coach pb9617 says:

Man, this year has all of the feelings of a lost year to it. The coach has no idea what he’s doing, the kids are being bounced around everywhere, Springfield has gone whacky and the entire development process seems to be at a bit of risk right now.

The way the org is treating the kids seems like we’re going to see some problems sooner rather than later.

17. Unleaded says:

HB – I’m not convinced it would be terrible.

I like cogs, and think he has much more upside than 18, but 89-26 can drive the bus on the Mrs Butterworths and if it keeps 18 away from the heavies, I’m fine with it.

Besides, if 13-21-46 (and this is the big guess becuase really, anyone, even 18 could end up on the 4th) are the 4th, it’s not defensively powerful unit, but it is one that will have some speed, skill and size that will cause problems in matching for Chicago. Its a wildcard, and I suspect that it will be the difference in this game.

18. HBomb says:

I guess, as was argued with Nilsson, if this pimps Moreau’s numbers and increases his value for when (I hope) the Oilers go to dump his contract this summer, I’m OK with it too.

19. reijo29 says:

Sportsnet Connected said that Gags was skating with Hemmer and Horcoff on the PP in practice yesterday.

Hoping they go back to Poltuny w/ Gags & Cole as the 2nd line tonight.

20. quain says:

There’s too much talking about random Dustin Penner related news. Everyone is glossing over the obvious result of this game: Chicago dominates us in every metric except for the scoreboard. 4-2 win, Roloson stops 38. It’s science at this point; Edmonton drops what should be an absolutely winnable game, and then wins what should have been a sure loss.

Also: this is the press conference where MacTavish walks out, throws up his hands, and says “I don’t even know. Hockey’s dumb.”

21. Lord Bob says:

Not quite the Shawshank quote I’d have picked for the Oilers, LT. I’m leaning towards “hope is a dangerous thing. Hope can drive a man insane.”

Also, I find the thought of an 89-10-83 line… interesting. I’d rather see 27-10-83, but if we take it as a given that the Blender shall blend, he could do worse.

22. PDO says:

Thanks for the Penner hat-trick and the guaranteed win LT. :-)

23. Coach pb9617 says:

LB,

In honor of the coach, I’ll go with “How can you be so obtuse? “

24. uni says:

I used to believe that at one point, but time and time again they’ve proven me wrong over the last 6 years. Although I highly doubt they could pull another Pavel-Henrik out of their rears again, it wouldn’t surprise me if they got Franzen and Hudler done at home-town discounts, pull a D out of their butts, and sign a former marquee but still good free agent goalie, ala a Hasek-Joseph on the downslope type…god forbid Luongo (although I don’t see how they fit it under the cap).

25. HBomb says:

uni: Lidstrom has two years left, this one and next one. Given the cap rules about contracts signed when over 35, he’s going to play both those years.

If they win a Cup (or two) in the next two years, maybe he hangs ‘em up in summer 2010. I could totally see his money, at that time, being tossed in the direction of a UFA Luongo if Roberto decides to leave Vancouver.

And I could totally see him signing there for less than he could get elsewhere.

It’s the Wings. They pull off player personnel stuff that NO one else does, or, frankly, can.

26. Lord Bob says:

coach:

Andy wouldn’t have been so difficult if the warden hadn’t lost the room.

27. quain says:

Per TSN:

Projected Lines vs. Blackhawks

Forwards:
    Nilsson – Horcoff – Hemsky
    Potulny – Gagner – Cole
    Pouliot – Cogliano – Moreau
    Stortini – Brodziak – Penner

Defence:
    Souray – Gilbert
    Visnovsky – Grebeshkov
    Smid – Staios

I love the second line being reunited, and I don’t hate the first line. I’d be happier with Penner on the third line in place of Moreau, but at least Brodziak has a guy who can play hockey and another guy who doesn’t completely mess the bed. Seems like Penner’s punishment is going to be learning to check people… and starting in the defensive zone four times more than the offensive zone per game.

28. quain says:

Whoops, missed this bit, which was above the bag skate bit from yesterday, per TSN again:

Dwayne Roloson was not on ice for skate on Tuesday which means that Jeff Deslaurier may play against the Blackhawks.

I would be surprised if we rolled out JDD tonight, given the rest Roloson is going to have going both ways.

29. Lord Bob says:

1) Andrew Cogliano taking faceoffs instead of Marc Pouliot? Really?

2) Stortini – Brodziak – Penner? Really? Nice to see our coach is a sane, reasonable man who doesn’t hold grudges and puts one of his few scorers on the goddamned grind line!

//The past few seasons he has been left gaping holes by his management. I’ve always been a bit of a Lowe apologist (in denial) but KL has really left MacT waving in the wind more often than not.//

This year the gaping hole is MacT’s fault. MacT didn’t fight for Glencross. In losing Glencross, he lost three players and the best 4th line in hockey, a line which created a mismatch in favour of the Oilers for the last 30 games last year.

This year the screwed up experiments (Cole on left wing, Pisani at centre, Penner off the power play) are also MacT’s fault.

To Lowe’s credit, the defense has been rebuilt. But Lowe and Tambellini have been far too slow to address the problems which have arisen at forward this year. In a world of free agency, overpaying in a trade isn’t that big a deal. This is a playoff team. It is stupid to throw the playoffs away because you can’t make a trade to ameliorate the problems at forward.

The defense, Horcoff, Hemsky, Pisani, Gagner, and Cogliano is the core of a team that should be in the playoffs every year, if healthy. People should keep things in perspective. The foundation of a good team is there.

//and the entire development process seems to be at a bit of risk right now.//

32. devin says:

Hbomb, LT, re: Huet: seriously?

The guy’s had excellent numbers for the past 3 seasons and he’s posting excellent numbers again this year despite being jerked around Garon-style for playing time. He’s about as bona-fide a #1 as you can get and he compares very favorably to Vokoun.
    Surprised you guys don’t see the value in Huet – I’d love to see him as the Roli replacement (won’t happen, just sayin’)

33. bookie says:

Weird, I was calling for MacT’s head earlier in the season and now I feel like everyone is totally over-reacting to a few bad losses.

Lowe went into this season with a plan. This was it -
    1. get some good assets that have value at trade deadline.

2. play through the first 2/3 of the season with some weaknesses in the overall build of the team BUT expectations were that the team was good enought to overcome those weaknesses and be in 3rd to 5th place by trade deadline.

3. Make some last minute trades to fill in the weak points on the team (which would be clear by trade deadline). With some cash on hand, it should not be a problem to take on a salary or two at that point.

4. Have a late season surge and finish in the top 4 teams.

Four things have happened to affect this plan thus far.

A. KatzLowe went after some big name players like Hossa and failed to get them – that mucked up some minor stuff on the team such as the loss of Glenx.

B. Some players had a bit more of an offyear than expected (though I suspect that some of this was expected).

C. The Oilers have stunk sooo bad on occasion, and some strange play/coaching has taken place which has resuted in the fans reacting as though we were in Ottawa’s situation.

D. Though its been uglier than expected, the Oilers are in the fight for 5th place – which kind of seems to fit the plan.

Now, I am not saying that I KNOW that this was the plan, but I suspect that Lowe was aware of the glaring weaknesses on his team and either expected some youth to come in and fill out those roles and/or thought he could get away with it long enough to fill them in with a trade.

I just give Lowe, Tambi, and even Katz credit for being somewhat intelligent (I mean that can’t all be superstars like all of us, but they must have something between there ears to get where they are).

34. Scott says:

1) Andrew Cogliano taking faceoffs instead of Marc Pouliot? Really?

This line has been running like this for a while now. Shouldn't be too surprising. Also, there is more to playing center than taking faceoffs. Perhaps Cogliano > Pouliot at center in other ways.

I don’t think Penner has been poor, but the coach clearly does. The second line that’s being reunited played really well for a couple of games, so that move looks good. The third line is staying together, and while it hasn’t been gangbusters I can see why MacT might want to leave them together. That leaves two lines to flip around, the 1st and 4th. If MacT doesn’t think Penner is playing well, then this makes sense. It may end up being the best lineup we’ve iced at EV this year.

35. HBomb says:

Terry Jones’ daily example of poor journalism

I wonder if TJ could put down the fork long enough to do some resarch and see that the Oilers current first line is actually very effective when they’re playing together as a unit?

I’d like another elite forward (preferably LW) as much as the next guy, but how exactly are we going to a) acquire and b) fit in under the cap such a player?

36. quain says:

If MacT doesn’t think Penner is playing well, then this makes sense.

I’m happy to be back in this world. The moves he makes are weird, but if you just squint hard enough, it’s all pretty reasonable.

If we accept Moreau as untouchable (annoying, but the truth), I think I like this line-up just fine. If Nilsson is on, I think he’s a better fit for Hemsky at EV; if he’s not on, MacT can quit being a baby and swap him and Penner.

One interesting thing: Hemsky-Brodziak-Penner is a pretty decent line, if MacT is looking for double-shifting possibilities.

37. rickibear says:

//It may end up being the best lineup we’ve iced at EV this year.//

Especially if he plays storitini 2minutes and hemsky/nilsson the other 8 minutes.

MacT said, “Play him every time he is not breating heavy.”

Nilsson-Horcoff-Hemsky

Potulny-Gagner-Cole

Penner-Brodziak-Hemsky/Nilsson/Stortini

Moreau-Cogs-Pouliot

38. rickibear says:

Quain: Beat me.

If we are lucky Penner-Brodziak-Hemsky outscores the other lines over the next few games. Brodziaks and Penners EV stats from 07-08 say it is possible.

39. Coach pb9617 says:

I’m referring to the next generation.

40. DeBakey says:

Tonight’s Oiler roster is worth $51,358,000.
    And not a penny more.

That’s 91% of Cap.

And, it seems the Journal Sports headline guy wore his pjs to work last night.
    His headline about the Penner/Pouliot/Brodziak non bag-skate is completely bass-ackwards.

41. Scott says:

I’m referring to the next generation.

Who on the AHL team qualifies? There are a few D prospects down there that should be worth something, but at F all of the guys likely to become difference makers are already playing with an oil-drop on their chest.

//How so? The critical young guys, Gagner, Cogliano, Gilbert, Grebeshkov, and Smid are all playing better than last year.//

“I’m referring to the next generation.”

Omark is doing fine in Sweden. Nash is having a decent year at Cornell. Petry and Plante are having okay years. Eberle is having a great year. Dubnyk is having a reasonable season.

Chorney looks to be a bust. He is the only top tier prospect that is having a horrible year.

Pretty much everybody else were suspects already.

Forgot about Peckham. He seems to be on track.

44. Bruce says:

If Jones wanted to do five minutes of research he could just come on to the blogs and find out stuff like this:

EV SF/SA ON:
    ————–
    +52 Horcoff
    +45 Penner
    +43 Hemsky

+25 Garon (!)
    +24 Visnovsky
    +18 Grebeshkov
    +6 Potulny
    all others minus

Oilers as a team are -102.

Furthermore, Penner and Hemsky together are +149/-87 = +62 on the shot clock, and +18/-6 = +12 on the scoreboard. Separated, Penner is -17 in shots and -3 in goals; Hemmer -19 and -2.

Oh yeah, Terry, if you’re still reading, go [edit] piss up a rope [/edit]. You’re an embarrassment to your profession.

45. Bruce says:

Footnote: Other than Roloson (-122), the “leaders” for the worst SF/SA record on the club, at a cool -100 apiece, are Ethan Moreau and Steve Staios.

I’m glad Penner isn’t following that example.

46. Dennis says:

Bruce: those numbers have been earned.

47. Alice says:

People seem to be forgetting what Matters here, and that is a deeply pessimistic GDT, [cleverly seeded by an Abject cry of Despair in the PGDT ]
    I tell you LT’s gonna carry this team on his back if he has to!

“Playing Penner on hardly a day’s rest after the Bag Skate[TM], he falls asleep in the crease. And when the crane finally lifts him off the lifeless netminder…”
    ________Terry Jones, Feb 4 2009

48. rickibear says:

godot10: my favorite:

Another player I would like to see in rookie camp next year is Teemu Hartikainen. Our 6th round choice. Has had an accerated progression through the Finnish elite league.
    He has played 40 of the teams 47 games. In those games he has 14G and 4Assists.
    Those numbers don’t really show the progression.

His first 12 games he played (9min/game) playing third line
    1 Assist

Next 12 games he played (12.5min/Game) playing second line
    4 goals .333pts/game
    2nd star in team game #14
    1st star team game #17
    1st Star team game #21

Next 7 games they gave him more first line minutes but bumped the minutes down in prep for world Juniors. (10.5min/Game)
    4 goals .58 Points/Game
    2nd Star Game #27
    2nd Star Game #33
    3rd Star Game #34

Off to the world Juniors were he was Finlands leading scorer. He yeilded playing time to the more senior players in the first two games where he had no points. Played more of a role in the last 4 games were he was involved(G/A) in 9 of the 17 goals the team scored.

Post World Juniors:
    His last 9 games he has played 16min/game
    6 goals 2 assists .89 Points/game
    3rd star game #41
    1st Star game #47

The last 28 games he has progressed to a first line player who is close to a .8Pts/ game player. Moved to top 30 in league goal scoring. With the potential to be in the top twenty at the end. A player Who is one of the three stars 30% of the time and at times considered the best player on the ice.

He is 6’2″ 203Lbs and has another 4 months before he turns 19.

This in a league (Sm-ligga .55) that projects out better than the AHL(.44).

49. Coach pb9617 says:

A win by the Oilers tonight brings them back to .500 in the all-time series against Chicago. They are currently 45-46-12 all time against the Hawks.

50. Jonathan Willis says:

Rickibear: You’ve been beating the Hartikainen drum for a while. I really appreciate the updates, and I’m sure others do as well.

51. rickibear says:

JW: You and LT inspire.

The inclusion of Omark and Hartikainen in any prospect discussion is needed.

Sorry for the long post LT.

52. Unleaded says:

Wow… so what I read was totally wrong…

Sorry guys!

53. Coach pb9617 says:

Problems in the organization related to development this year would center around Wild being sent to the E, Chorney floundering, Dubnyk being ridden like a nag bound for the Elmers Factory, Deslauriers being, well, whatever Lowe did to the goalies this year, he who shall not be named, Brule using up his waivers eligibility and getting HSed with the club rather than playing with the A squad, and the Hamburglar refusing assignment.

Maybe it’s the normal ebb and flow of development, but there are some really weird things happening in the A this year.

54. uni says:

This in a league (Sm-ligga .55) that projects out better than the AHL(.44).

55. Alice says:

Rita was in the AHL at age 20, I think Teemu’s age, per LT’s Prospect Eval the other day, is the stat that puts this one into a very hopeful context.

56. doritogrande says:

Rickibear:

With the emergence of Hartikainen and Omark in the Elite leagues…what the hell do we do with them next year?

Continue their development over there to avoid any tainting from Springfield, or bring them over to “acclimatize” and attempt to make Springfield more competitive?

I have doubts that Omark can do much more in the Swedish league than he already has, so it would seem the logical choice to move him overseas to really see what we’ve got in him. Hartikainen I’m torn about however. I really think he’d be best served by coming over to play for a WHL team. However, in that scenario we run the risk he’d be picked up by a Q team which I don’t believe would help his development at all. A big boy like that would be well served lining up against the Teuberts of the WHL, not the little scoring machines of the Q.

I’ve complained about our European scouting for the past couple of years, but it seems like they’ve found a couple of late-round gems of late in Omark and Hartikainen. Milan Kytnar may still be a factor as well (38 points, 46 games, plus player).

57. Coach pb9617 says:

Milan Kytnar may still be a factor as well (38 points, 46 games, plus player).

I saw him good three times.

58. rickibear says:

//Very encouraging but don’t get too excited, remember what Jani Rita did at the Worlds and that he’s been a star in the SM-Ligga as well.//

Star I do not think so.

RITA: IN SM-LIGGA
    18Yrs:
    41GP 3G 2A
    19 Yrs:
    49GP 6G 3A
    20 Yrs:
    50GP 5G 10A

Using the League equivalencies and Progression curves available now a days. Would we really buy into the Jani Rita Hype.

59. Jfry says:

the P2P site that shows all the streaming games, is down.

Dear visitors,

Because of pending legal proceedings concerning several competitions we have to close the forum untill around the end of this week. We regret we have to do this but it’s necessary right now.

We will be back, stay with us and support us!

anyone have any thoughts on where to fetch tonight’s game. go oil!

60. St George says:

OT: Today Bobby Ryan was named Rookie Of The Month (http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=265653).

This is a player that Kevin Lowe called a “questionable pick” in his bizzare lashing out at Burke earlier this year. Let’s take a look:

Ryan has 34 points (17/17) in 35 games this year. That puts him in 80th place in scoring, 1 point above Horc. Our young guns? Gagner is in 256th with 17 points, Penner in 192nd with 23, and Cogs in 146th with 27, each with more like 40-48 games played.

I bring this up not to bash our guys but to point out one more time how our GM really appears to not know what the hell he is talking about.

61. Jared says:

Astute observation, germane tim robbins reference. what more could a fan ask for? that marchant goal, streaking down the right side, seems to me only a distant memory.

for those interested, a new hockey-themed radio show has hit the airwaves: The Great Banana Hoax, on CJSR FM 88.5 in Edmonton, Alberta, Canada.

Next week my co-host and I are welcoming a member of the University of Alberta Golden Bears to the show. I encourage everyone to have a listen. For more info, please visit:

help spread the word – there IS room for sports on university radio (as well as psych and garage music).

-jared

62. Jonathan Willis says:

Hartikainen’s a very exciting prospect. His game-by-game breakdown is here (Google translated).

He’s way ahead of the curve these players usually take. Of course, it’s hard to know exactly without all of the contextual data we have on NHL players, or without watching him for a while, but he could be a keeper.

63. speeds says:

I don’t know how much risk there would be of Hartikainen getting drafted by another CHL team. Obviously it depends on his state of mind, but that draft doesn’t work like a normal draft in terms of picking the best player because teams probably want to know that the player is coming over before they draft him, especially for a 19 year old, so it may be that either the Oil Kings get him, or he stays in Europe for another year, if that’s the way Hartikainen and the Oilers agree to go about bringing him over next year.

Assuming he’d want to come over to play in the CHL to begin with, which he may well not.

64. HBomb says:

Ok, so people are crowing for a linemate for Hemsky?

Allegedly there was something in the Toronto Star today about the LA Kings shopping Alex Frolov.

Now if you want to talk about a totally underappreciated hockey player who would absolutely blossom playing with a guy like Hemsky, Frolov is THE guy. I’ve pitched him as a trade target for the Oilers before.

Big guy, capable of power vs. power minutes, can finish, signed through next season. Send Penner home to LA in exchange.

65. Jonathan Willis says:

HBomb: The Toronto Sun, actually – i.e. Garrioch.

According to The Fourth Period, it would likely only be in exchange for a sure-fire top-line forward.

If he were available for a package, I’d find it impossible to say no.

66. rickibear says:

JW: I have been going to the SM-LIIGA web site:

The second news article at the bottom of your linked page says he has signed with his team till the end of 10/11.

67. HBomb says:

JW: Ok, the Sun. My bad.

But still….damn, Tambellini needs to chase it. If he doesn’t at least make the phone call, he’s not doing his job.

Penner’s a top line forward by some measures, and he’s signed for 3 more years at probably less than what Frolov commands on an extension. Dustin’s age would fit in with what the Kings have going on in terms of a “core”. And Edmonton and LA have done business before.

I see a fit here. But the fact it’s Garrioch floating it out sort of depresses me, since he’s the mass-media equivalent of Eklund….

68. CrazyCoach says:

I think you leave Omark and Hartikainen in their respective leagues for one more year, unless of course, Omark’s team, Lulea gets relegated to the AllSvenskan, which doesn’t look like it will happen.

Sure they may be a big fish in a small bowl, but they need to prove they are consistent at the level they’re currently at.

I mean, have you ever seen a more inconsistent team as the 08-09 Oilers?

69. HBomb says:

Garrioch’s article from Sunday where Frolov is mentioned.

Note that while Frolov’s salary next season is 4 million, his cap hit is actually only 2.9 million according to NHL.com.

A relative bargain, considering he’s already scored 20 goals this year, and he doesn’t play on the Kings main offensive line (Brown-Kopitar-O’Sullivan).

With Hemsky? Forty goal man. Easy.

70. Traktor says:

The chances of LA moving Frolov are about the same as Edmonton moving Hemsky.

We have nothing to offer anyways – they already have enough youth and their prospects are better than ours.They already have Kopitar – Stoll – Handzus down the middle.
    They didn’t want to pay Visnovsky so I doubt they would have interst in Souray or Gilbert.

Frolov to Edmonton will never happen.

71. HBomb says:

Traktor: Never say never.

You offer them Penner plus Nilsson, giving them two top six forwards (albeit both guys with some warts), knowing that Frolov is UFA in one more season, they probably look at it.

LA underappreciates that guy. I could totally see him getting moved and the team getting him being quite pleased with the acquisition.

That being said – he’s not Ales Hemsky.

72. doritogrande says:

Hbomb:

I’d love to see him in Oiler silks but let’s be realistic here, what do we have that LA would want? Assuming they don’t want to take on salary the Oilers can’t offer up anything that the Kings don’t already have. They’ve got a young up and coming team with prospect depth greater than any other franchise.

To get Frolov we’d be looking at dealing a Gagner, not Penner.

73. doritogrande says:

St George:

I think many people have openly questioned Bobby Ryan long before Kevin Lowe did last summer, and they did so for very good reasons.

Ryan has had a break-out campaign this season, and good on him for proving his nay-sayers wrong.

74. HBomb says:

To get Frolov we’d be looking at dealing a Gagner, not Penner.

Gagner’s an overpay, and is untouchable.

If they asked for Cogliano straight across, I know I’d think long and hard about it if I was GM.

75. Jonathan Willis says:

HBomb/LT: Don’t worry about the link; ON has been off and on all day.

Omark should be brought over right away. The SEL is great and all, but there have been plenty of smallish Euro scorers who’ve never translated their games to North America, so the sooner he gets started the better.

As for Hartikainen, I wonder. I’m not at all convinced that junior is better for development than the SM-Liiga (at least if the player is getting ice-time), so if he can’t play in the AHL, I’d say don’t worry about him for another year.

I’m a firm believer in getting prospects to coaches within the organization as soon as possible, though how long Truitt will be in the organization is certainly open to debate.

76. Traktor says:

hbomb:

DL wouldn’t pay Mike Cammalleri after coming off a 80 point campaign and waited until the last minute to sign Patrick O’Sullivan. There’s no chance he would ever take on Penner at 4.2 million. He would be there new highest paid player.

Nilsson has zero value when they already got guys like Teddy Purcell, Boyle, Moller, Simmonds, Lewis ect..

Who’s going to trade Frolov for Penner when you could most likely send him to the Pens for Staal?

77. doritogrande says:

Hbomb:

When I say a Gagner, I really meant one of the two of Gagner/Cogliano. I consider them of equal standing to the organization at this point.

If we could get him for a package of Nilsson and a 1st, I will kiss Tambellini’s feet.

78. CrazyCoach says:

Jonathan, ask Les Jackson if he should have left Brunnstrom in the SEL for one more season before signing him? Give Omark one more year before subjecting him to the gong show that is Springfield.

Believe me given my druthers, I’d rather spend one more year in Northern Sweden than Springfield.

No comparison.

79. Jonathan Willis says:

More On Hartikainen…

Using an extension of Rickibear’s link, some over the phone help from my Finnish mother, Google Translator, and my natural intuition, here are some more interesting facts:

- Hartikainen’s one of three rookies (the best and most used) on Kalpa, a very strong team.
    - His +/- (-5) is one of the worst on the team
    - His 14 goals is third on the team
    - He has five Ylivomaalit; maalit is goals, and I believe Ylivo is powerplay, so there’s reason to believe a lot of his production is coming with the extra man
    - He has a tremendous PTS/60, given that he’s played only 41 games and is averaging 12:32 per game.
    - He’s willing to shoot (102 shots so far)

My one troublesom question with Hartikainen is how much of his point production is coming via the powerplay – with 5 powerplay goals, it’s something to consider.

80. Jonathan Willis says:

CrazyCoach:

Omark’s on record as wanting to come to North America next season, even if it means a trip to the minors.

As for Brunnstrom, imagine that he were two years younger and paid much less. Wouldn’t it be in his best interest to get acclimated to things in the AHL.

I’ll acknoweldge that all of this is predicated on having a decent coach in Springfield, but I think the AHL is the best preparatory league out there.

81. CrazyCoach says:

Jonathan,

Omark may say that but both you and I know that that is statement made out of desire to have a bigger paycheck, and partially out of a desire to kiss Tambo’s ass and get in good with the fans.

The AHL is the best developmental league if you are on the right team. Many would argue the WHL is the best league in junior hockey, which it is, but if you are going to the Prince George Cougars, then that argument loses a little steam.

The only thing Springfield is good at right now, is producing inconsistent hockey players and a speed path for coaches wishing to joining the “Glory Days” old boys club.

Once again, Springfield or Lulea. I guess for the right amount I could be convinced Springfield, but we have to be talking about a huge sum of money.

82. Jonathan Willis says:

CrazyCoach:

What odds would you give Truitt of surviving past this summer?

83. CrazyCoach says:

Jonathan, knowing the reluctance of the head organization, I wouldn’t be surprised to see him back for another year.

Having said that, if they were to get a new coach, I’d say bring Omark over.

I’ve never seen Springfield girls, but I have been to Northern Sweden and the legends are true.

I almost didn’t leave.

84. Jonathan Willis says:

CrazyCoach: We’ll see how the rest of the year goes, but the ECHL coach, Matt Thomas, looks like he deserves a bump up the chain of command.

Springfield’s been funny this year, but it isn’t impossible to survive (i.e Peckham, Potulny, Reddox) and if the organization made playing Omark a priority, it probably wouldn’t be that bad.

And I have a very hard time believing American girls (at least on the east coast) can compete with the Scandinavian ones.

85. hunter1909 says:

What time is the game, lol.

Fixed the ON link.

87. Bruce says:

Scored tickets to the game tonight, so off I go. Will be grading players for Staples’ project, hopefully the Oilers play well.

Enjoy the game, everybody!

88. Jfry says:

so, no word on streaming from anyone? ugh.

89. Dennis says:

This is just too good!

All we need now is Smid on back-up vocals and all those draft picks signing harmony and LT will have his Pronger package on full-belt;)

90. Coach pb9617 says:

I’d really like to see a trade for Trent Hunter.

91. Oilmaniac says:

jfry…

its always on Justin.tv
    - except now that i’ve checked, its not there… hmmm…

any word on that four lettered online broadcasting site… starts w a K…

Any word on Deslaurier starting?

93. uni says:

rikibear: Le ouch. I had no idea he was so low in scoring as a kid. I was going on that 1 season where he was leading in league scoring with Rem Murray. Seriously though, wow.

94. bookie says:

any word on that four lettered online broadcasting site… starts w a K…

I am guessing you mean atdhe.net . They have the game listed, but it looks a lot like the link that freezes frequently. I will let you know once the game starts

95. Dennis says:

I’m checking out the PPV pregame and i can see that 18 and 24 have their hats on backwards and they are acting young and they’re ready to go.

Pretty sure I heard a little conversation of theirs:

Moreau: “let’s go, Stevey! Let’s go out there and get outchanced just like we do each and every fucking night even though we no longer play tough mintues! Yeah!”

Staios: “no doubt, my dumb penalty-taking friend. We’re getting paid for what we used to do but fuck it, games played means we’re owed the scratch.”

And scene.

96. bookie says:

here is the link http://atdhe.net/live-tv-2.php?i=729

it looks good so far.

97. PDO says:

Roli’s in.

98. bookie says:

The aspect ratio is a bit strange on that link – Hemsky looks more like Penner.

99. Oilman says:

Marc Joanette – we lose.

100. bookie says:

omg-this is the worst start since the 10-2 game

Stortini wakes up the copper and blue.

102. Oilman says:

must be that backwards hat!

103. PDO says:

Has anyone had more lucky bounces this season than 18? Wow….

104. bookie says:

moreau is just like gretzky was

I think Roloson spent quite awhile not knowing where the puck was there. Wow.

106. Cory Klein says:

Cole is having a terrible start to the game…

107. Coach pb9617 says:

This game started the exact same way that the Buffalo game did, with Lubo making a terribly shitty play, except Roloson made the two big saves.

How about the coach doesn’t send Lubo and Hendrix out for the opening faceoff anymore, eh?

108. Jfry says:

@bookie…

thanks man.

109. Oilmaniac says:

yeah, thanks for the link.. whoops, wrt that k i put out there… to bad the connection out here is so shotty… enjoy the game folks,..

110. Schitzo says:

Screw taking a number on Byfuglin, someone needs to run Kane through the boards, skate by the bench, look Byfuglin in the eye and tell him Toews is next if they do it again.

Horcoff would have scored if Dustin Penner would try a little.

112. kris says:

1. If Horc were a first line center he would have scored there. :)

113. kris says:

Rolli is 1,000 years old and MacT will play him 10,000 times this year.

114. Fake Craig McTavish says:

1. If Horc were a first line center he would have scored there. :)

Whiffcoff 0-3 in the first.

It’s quite sad, actually.

115. kris says:

The Hawks are cheating; they keep playing the puck into areas where our players aren’t. How is that fair? I mean, come on.

An honest team that believes in fair play, like the Oilers, would never do that. An honest team shoots the puck lightly towards the other teams players, or softly drop passes the puck to the other team, or tries to gingerly skate past 3 or four of their players at a time losing the puck easily.

Jeez

How the hell the Oilers are ahead in this game is beyond me.

117. Alice says:

/How the hell the Oilers are ahead in this game is beyond me./

False modesty. Your GDT is the Talisman

‘Course they’re not exactly done yet, either ~

118. Dennis says:

Chances: 6-5 Chi; all at EV.

Rob Brown was selling that Roli was great in that period but I’m just not buying that. Roli made a great save off the hop and a couple of decent ones afterward as well. But, the majority of the Hawks shots were from the outside and Roli had terrible rebound control.

Funny period by Edm because four of their five chances were outstanding and the chance that wasn’t resulted in a goal when 18 had yet another weird/lucky goal. But just before that he had a great chance in tight, 10 had a chip shot plus a breakway and 26 hit the post the shift after 18 scored.

There was way too much time spent in the Oilers zone and the Hawks Penner drilled 83 and later on Gagner got hammered trying to come in on the right point. I know those were clean hits but I’d like to get up by a couple of goals and then we could go after Kane and Towes.

78′s struggling now, you didn’t know 27 was on the ice and the early 1st line returns on 12 weren’t promising. Awful PP by the Oil and the 37/71 tandem is taking the brunt of the scoring chance shrapnel. If there was a positive from that period it was that 26 was out banging and wasn’t intimidated in the least.

119. knighttown says:

One of my pet peeves with this team is that they never, ever dictate the tempo. Playing the Hawks? Run-and-gun baby! Playing the Wild? Conservative trap-fest extraordinaire.

Pick a god-damned style and try to impose it on the other team for once.

I swear its and ego thing and seeing how arrogant our coach and captain appear to be, I’m actually not joking. Last I checked, you beat the Hawks by trapping them you still get two points, right?

120. kris says:

Predictable.

121. Coach pb9617 says:

That penalty was easier to kill because it was aggressive.

122. Coach pb9617 says:

you didn’t know 27 was on the ice

I think it’s about time someone called him out in the press.

123. PDO says:

18 canceled out his own lucky bounce.

124. Coach pb9617 says:

Does anyone track which zone a player takes a penalty in, either total or on a game by game basis? I’ll do the manual adding to track Moreau’s lead league.

Have Cogliano and Hemsky ever played together?

126. DBO says:

at work and trying hard to appear to work on the laptop. Any links to this game?

127. Coach pb9617 says:

Why was Stortini out against Kane and Versteeg?

128. Coach pb9617 says:

There is a single fan somewhere in the reaches trying to start a “Lets go Oilers” chant. No one is helping. I think it’s Bruce.

129. PDO says:

Pst, Huddy.

They’re getting rebounds because Roloson is giving up rebounds on shots from the outside.

130. DBO says:

just started watching. How has Penner been?

131. Oilman says:

If the dude yells out “I LOVE YOU ZACK” then you have a Bruce confirmation

132. DBO says:

Since we have the only team in the league with 4 defensemen with 20 points, you gotta think we can upgrade the skill up front! I know with the cap it’s hard, but as LT mentioned a few days ago, it’s a pitching for hitting deal. Someone must need an offensive d.

133. Coach pb9617 says:

Wow. Just wow Horcoff. What an amazing recovery on that 2 on 1.

Holy freaking crap.

134. PDO says:

The back check to nullify the 2 on 1 into a 1 on 1 is why Horcoff doesn’t get blasted by the coach folks.

… how on Earth did the Oilers not get a PP when Cole got molested in front of the net?

Was that Horcoff coming back? Of course it was. I don’t know when I stopped checking for the number on plays like that but it was a time ago.

136. Julian says:

dennis, with 5 mins left in the second the hawks broadcast just said the scoring chances are 11-5 Chi.

137. Oilman says:

Ottawa – and they’ve got a bad and desperate GM right now. If there was ever a chance to get Heatley – it might be now.

138. DBO says:

and that is what happens when you can’t clear the zone. Even their skill guys hit (Havlat made a hit at the blue to keep the puck in) And Staios and Smid run around a lot. And yes that was hit by penner, sort of.

139. bookie says:

That was a pretty nice screen by Staios – Roli couldn’t see a thing

140. none says:

Whiffcoff back-checking makes him a #1 center in MacT’s eyes

141. DBO says:

really, no penalty

These team is always a goal short and if Hemsky isn’t going to make a play this is an L.

Plus of course Chicago have about 11 defenemen who can play the game. Lordy. Someone offer sheet somebody. ANYBODY!

143. Coach pb9617 says:

At least Nilsson is making all kinds of room for Hemsky to work with, just like he did for the final goal in this game.

144. Traktor says:

What’s the odds for who gets called out after the game?

145. PDO says:

I see what you did there Coach!

146. PDO says:

Trak:

Cole is lauded for an OT game winner?

Lumley. He’s dogging it.

148. Coach pb9617 says:

The Oilers picks should be tied up in offer sheets for Zherdev and Dubinsky. I’m trying to deliver a scoring winger or center that can take faceoffs – I’ll worry about your agenda later.

149. Traktor says:

I’m guessing Trukhno gets called out for not helping Springfield win games.

150. Bank Shot says:

What’s the odds for who gets called out after the game?

Penner and Brodziak ride with the luggage to St.Louis(E5).

151. Coach pb9617 says:

I see what you did there Coach!

I’ve got no idea what you’re talking about. None whatsoever.

152. none says:

Horcoff can’t score to save his life but as long as he back checks…all is forgiven
    We’re paying him 7 million next year to waste away on the top-line and accomplish NOTHING…but he sure can back-check!

153. griffy says:

now i finally realize why mac t sends corkcoff out shift after woe- begotten shift. cork is craig’s bastard skill child.

154. Coach pb9617 says:

Aw, that’s cute. HF found the comments section.

155. Traktor says:

Just me or was that one of the worst periods of the year?

156. Dennis says:

Julien etc all: I imagine the US networks don’t count shots directed towards the net as chances; I have the Hawks leading 17-10 after 40; 14-10 EV: 3-0 ST.

The Oilers had a brief flurry with three late chances from the new 4th line but outside of that there was an early outstanding chance for 89 and a late one for 21.

The 10/83 tandem are getting railed tonight.

157. Coach pb9617 says:

This one is on Penner. He’s so fat and puts out no effort that he should be sent to Springfield immediately. Once the coach does that, the team will turn around.

The whole season is Penner’s fault.

158. Temujin says:

Well, it is the Hawks, after all.

159. griffy says:

an offer sheet to us is like a vlt to a trailer park. may pay off but nothing good in the long run. there are many shades of rebuilding and we need to start some level of rebuilding. we get outplayed at our own rink way too much.

160. Traktor says:

MacT should blame the loss on Bobby Ryan.

161. Coach pb9617 says:

The 10/83 tandem are getting railed tonight.

If Penner tried, 10 and 83 wouldn’t be getting beaten down tonight.

Blame Penner.

162. geowal says:

Watching the Chicago feed, it’s funny how much optimism they’re spewing about their ‘new’ fans, players, coach, etc. And not without good reason. All the things we’re pessimistic about for the Oilers.
    It’s like Obama is running their hockey team too.

163. rickibear says:

//Penner and Brodziak ride with the luggage to St.Louis(E5).//

The nice thing is the Comcast guys have commented the oilers only good line has been Penner, Brodziak, and Storitini.

164. Temujin says:

It’s like Obama is running their hockey team too.

HopenChange

165. Traktor says:

Tom Gator.

166. Ribs says:

Did Gilbert just throw a Jason Smith Arm thrust? Nice to see that maybe he does give a crap this game.

167. Ribs says:

*hi fives traktor

168. PDO says:

When the hell did Gilbert start hitting?

169. Loxy says:

I’m here for the third boys. Let’s have a little comeback. :)

170. Loxy says:

No! Not Lubo!

171. Traktor says:

Its over

172. PDO says:

Oh god, not Lubo….

173. Phil says:

Vis dislocates his shoulder. Great.

174. Traktor says:

2-3 weeks if we’re lucky.

175. PDO says:

Souray needs to stop shooting with no traffic and his ass against the boards.

176. Traktor says:

0-4

177. PDO says:

Have the Oilers tied a game up once all year with the goalie pulled?

178. Coach pb9617 says:

The coach takes a timeout and then puts Gagner in the circle to win what one would think is a critical faceoff, you know, considering the coach took a timeout.

This coach sucks.

179. Oilmaniac says:

at least they wont lose by eight..

180. hunter1909 says:

Oh oh.

181. Loxy says:

I wish I could just enjoy this Chicago team without realizing it’s my team they are beating up on.

182. PDO says:

Of course that puck jumps of 13.

We can’t buy a break.

183. Coach pb9617 says:

I thought that the only positive to come out of the coach throwing Penner and Brodziak under the bus again would be that he has no one left to blame.

Then I remembered he put Nilsson on the first line. Watch out for the tires Robert, the asshole has positioned himself such that you’re the only person to blame.

184. geowal says:

Nice to see what Brodziak can do with linemates. Also weird (or sad) how Stortini is an improvement over his recent linemates.

The comcast guys just love this ‘foruth line’.

185. Loxy says:

Sigh.

186. PDO says:

If Ales Hemsky was a real #1 RW he would’ve scored on that breakaway!

Fucking hell.

187. Coach pb9617 says:

If the asshole doesn’t blame Nilsson, his only other option is being “happy with the effort”.

Asshole.

188. Henry says:

Everyone bag skates…except Penner and Brodziak

189. knighttown says:

I really question whether this team does any advance scouting. It seems as obvious as fuck to me that the Chicago Blackhawks defenseman are extremely susceptible to turnovers if they are forced to turn around and get dump ins and it’s pretty clear they don’t like getting hit, Keith and Campbell especially. This is why the fourth line played very well and kudos for the coaching staff for picking it up and giving them minutes.

But why didn’t they know this beforehand?

190. Ribs says:

Interesting faceoff stat of the game….

Cogliano 0-8
    Pouliot 2-0

191. knighttown says:

Well, we tried to skate with the fastest team in the NHL and their skill guys proved they were either better or bigger or in many cases both. Coaching (or goaltending) needs to make up that gap and it didn’t tonight.

I’d say Moreau gets the next chance on the 1line:

Horcoff-Moreau-Hemsky
    Gagner-Cogliano-Cole
    Brodziak-Penner-Stortini
    Pouliot-Potulny-Nilsson

193. pboy says:

Listening to the game on Comcast was an eye opening experience. Since they are being indirectly employed by the Oilers, they were unbiased and weren’t just following the party line.

I don’t really have a problem with our head coach trying to make his point in the media, he’s obviously frustrated and he must feel that doing so is his last resort. But why won’t he bring up that Rollie has looked awful since the All-Star break and has made a habit of kicking rebounds back into the slot or the fact that Horc couldn’t throw a beachball into the ocean or that Staios refuses to even look up the ice before ringing the puck up and out? Are these not at least as important as what he feels Brodziak, Pouliot and Penner are doing to the team?

It’s one thing to cut your vets some slack, I completely understand that. But to not make them accountable at all, that’s simply pathetic.

194. pboy says:

I think that I would rather see Cogliano get a chance with Hemsky next time around LT.

195. Ribs says:

For anyone who seems surprised with MacT’s first line plugger nonsense. A trip back to 2001.

Good find Ribs. I hope Pittis doesn’t have a cellphone.

197. Dennis says:

That’s the way I saw things.

198. Coach pb9617 says:

And scene.

I’d say that you were prescient, but it’s not hard to predict that Moreau takes a stupid penalty.

Stop being silly. Cogliano must stay at center and lose 7 of 10 faceoffs indefinitely. If he loses 8 of 10, Pouliot gets the bagskate. Pouliot is just a jackass holding this team down. Useless piece of trash.

I’d say Moreau gets the next chance on the 1line:

Such a hard worker. A hard worker that only takes aggressive penalties and makes it easier for his teammates to kill them off. If he’s not working hard, Brodziak is sent to the press box. Brodziak is a hanger-on, completely unprofessional and can’t even hand the easy minutes of a 4th line.

199. Phil says:

Unfortunately, this team wouldn’t know a dump-n-chase if it, ummm, if it…

Ah fuckit. Not worth wasting the frustration.

Newer Comments »