Lightning at Oilers, G60/08-09

This is Roman Hamrlik. He played a lot of hockey in Florida before heading to Edmonton in a lopsided deal. The Oilers could use a deal like that (failed first rounders for useful player) right now.

Word on the Al Gore is that Denis Grebeshkov may be ready to return much earlier than first thought and that Fernando Pisani may be a week away.

Both of these developments are good news, with a trade for some scoring up front, a right handed center for faceoffs and PK and a goalie that MacT trusts on the shopping list (not really, they apparently want a forward who can score but Deslauriers’ backup is a cardboard cutout of Bill Ranford–they’re going with Roloson, folks).

This has been such a silly year for the decision makers of this team, so expect Pouliot to be in the pressbox and Staios to track over 4 minutes on the powerplay.

That’ll fix ‘em.

338 Responses to "Lightning at Oilers, G60/08-09"

Newer Comments »
  1. B.C.B. says:

This is a must win, but they all are now.

The MSM of Edmonton, should ask Vinny if he would mind playing here . . . at least they would be good for something.

2. quain says:

If Edmonton wins the games they’re supposed to win, from here on out, they’re in. If they lose to the Maple Leafs and Lightning of the world, they have to make it up in away games against the Flames. Which means we’re all going to enjoy the last five games of the season where they put themselves into the position of having to win four of five against the Sharks, Canucks, Fames (2), and Kings.

3. Gord says:

B.C.B.

The Oilers are "almost" already in the position of being unable to sign players in 2010 / 2011 since the salary cap is going down.

With 10 players signed for $36 million, add Vinnie's salary & we will be at $44 million for 11 players.

The smart teams are dumping the big contracts – not taking them on.

Guess this means Katz will once again try to sign Hossa for $9 million per season…

4. Clarkenstein says:

Gord with the cap dropping Hossa will not get $9M …from anybody.

5. B.C.B. says:

Gord: I was trying to make a joke at both the crowds of bloggers and posters that would love to see Vinny as the ‘true #1 center’, and the MSM for being useless. I personal don’t think we need him, or his contract, since I am soured on point production from the South-East division and don’t think it is a useful tool in gage individual performance.

6. hunter1909 says:

Man those Lightning uniforms are hideous.

This is the best part of the year. Either Oilers play okay and get into the playoffs, or they miss(ho hum) and MacTavish and his bunch of tool assistants you hope are all fired and unemployed and begging on the street for nickels.

That’s the way it should be.

7. Gord says:

Clarkenstein,

In 2010 / 2010 the Oilers have 10 players signed for $36 million.

Twelve additional players at $1 million each means the Oilers will be over the cap.

It does not matter if Hossa’s offer drops to $5 million per season – we lose all of Grebs, Gagner, Cogliano, etc… if we are stupid enough to take on a $6 million salary.

And no – no other teams are stupid enough (or can afford) to take on our big salaries. We are already in deep trouble without salaries such as Vinnie, Hossa, or other big name players posters keep drooling over.

Check each teams numbers – Toronto, Anaheim etc… are going to stock up on $2 million players while we have to hope a LTIR miracle happens.

8. Unleaded says:

Lowetide… why did you have to say it? I mean, we all know it’s happening, and we all know it’s really dumb to do, but… why must you continue to inject the horrible reality of how marginally this team is run into the wonderful fantasy world in which most of blind-faith Oilers fans follow this team live?

I mean, the way you approach this, you’d think that there was actually some kind of rational system of analysis that people could use to evaluate how effective management is, and that it isn’t all dumb luck.

9. Sean says:

Not to be a downer but

- Calgary interested in Pronger per Mackenzie (not serious but still the thought scares me)
    - Have you been outside yet? I wonder how much Lecavalier wants to come here…

Ok complete downer

10. Scott says:

If we’re able to move Staios and Moreau prior to 2010/11, then there’s a good chance that we won’t need to move anyone else unless the cap drops below $50 million. I do think that there are certain factors at play that may mean that this target is met. Even if it isn’t and it drops to around $46 million like people have been talking about, that means we need to either trade or bury one of Souray or Visnovsky. You might only get cents on the dollar, but that doesn’t seem impossible to me at all. The larger point (no more big and long salaries!!) is a good one though. If one is coming in, another will need to be going out.

11. knighttown says:

MacTavish has talked about making a statement at home and this is a statement game if there ever is one. The Tampa Bay Lightning are 3000 miles away from home, in Edmonton in mid-February and they (as an organization) have no interest in winning this game. We will be seeing their 3rd stringer in Kari Ramo who has neither the pedigree/talent (6th rounder) of a kid about to break out ala Tukka Rask nor the numbers of someone in the zone, playing over their head, like Craig Anderson a few months ago (2W, GAA>4, SP<.900). This needs to be a dominant victory for me to believe. Say, 5-2 score and shots 41-25. 2 points is 2 points but not tonight.

Here's what I'll be watching for. As I've posted numerous times before, the Oilers have this nasty habit of playing the style of game their opponents prefer. Run-and-gun against Chicago and Buffalo, close to the vest against Minnesota and physical against Calgary and Dallas. This makes them easy to play against.

Over the past three or four games, this team has played very physical hockey and forced quite a few turnovers. Whether this was simply because they were playing physical teams or because of some commitment to this style of hockey remains to be seen. IF this team has truly turned a corner, I expect Vinny, St. Louis, Prospal and Stamkos to have a few bruises and for that awful defense core to be down to 5 bodies at some point.

BE GONE, Edmonton Doppelgangers!

12. devin says:

a goalie that MacT trusts

What’s wrong with Sabourin? The guy gets no love, but he’s dominated at the AHL level for years and his big league numbers have been adequate.

13. Sean says:

May be true but swap run-and-gun with show-run and thats true. Its impossible to play run-and-gun with Minnesota. The Oilers game has been better than I thought it would sans Grebs/Vish but its hard to win games scoring 2 goals and taking 5+ penalties. The Oilers need to create more offense somehow. Kid line anyone?

14. Sean says:

If the Wings sign Hossa they are gonna be pretty top heavy. Lidstrom is probably done after the Olympic year. I think they get JBo instead – because in Detroit you get what you want at American price in Canadian dollars.

15. Coach pb9617 says:

You have the cap dropping to $48 million?! Where in the world are you getting that?

16. DBO says:

The cap will not drop much, if at all this coming year. the reason being that most of the league revenue comes from ticket sales and year long advertisers. almost all of that comes in the off season, so the revenues for the league are pretty set to start the year. The issue comes in 2 years. And yes we’ll have to make a decision on some players. I think we”ll still have the ability to get an expensive player, but it’ll come at the expense of one of our young centers and young dmen. i still think they’ll have to move one of gags and Cogs, and probably grebeshkov or Vishnovsky.

17. Lord Bob says:

All I can think of is MacT storming through the dressing room announcing that “we got a lotta losses!” and the Oilers going out and losing 7-0 anyway.

18. oilerdago says:

I can see this came being a pivotal game from a negative point of view.

Come in flat, play to the level of the competition and lose (like they’ve done to so many other bad teams at home this season) and the pressue will really build.

You can talk all the mathematics you want if this happens but we’ll know this team is toast. The only thing left for the season will be to take bets on how many shifts before 18 takes his first stupid penalty of the nite.

No excuses for this game. It’s a must win.

19. Bruce says:

I’m sure the Prongers would love Cowtown.

20. George B says:

There are make and break games. This is one.

Here’s hoping for a big statement.

21. Coach pb9617 says:

I think that you should do it by ESTOI, but if we go by shifts, I’ll set it at 4.5 ES shifts.

22. Jonathan Willis says:

It’s hard to hope this team wins when you hope that they’re sellers at the deadline (as I do).

On the other hand, I can’t cheer for them to lose, either.

I just want to see Horcoff go on a tear at this point.

23. Unleaded says:

@ Jonathan

@ Sean

Normally I’d disagree because of how little space they create when they are together as a unit. It’s easy to play them tight and physical and grind them out on the boards. However, with a team like the Lightning who are really working hard at losing… this might actually be beneficial.

So of course we won’t see it.

@ Bruce

I’m in for 12 minutes into the first. For some reason, I see this being a quiet night for Captain Bad Penalty.

24. Jonathan Willis says:

As for the Moreau wagering, I’m going to go way off the board and say he doesn’t take a stupid penalty.

I know that sounds nuts, but I said I’d trade him away today, and the last time I suggested that he scored a hattrick.

25. Scott says:

I just want to see Horcoff go on a tear at this point.

Yeah! That would really increase his trade value for the deadline. Maybe we could trick someone into thinking he’s a number one center :)

As far as this being a must-win game or the season being lost if the Oilers lose this one game, it doesn’t seem reasonable. I do really hope they win and think that they should, but a convincing win here followed by a loss to Columbus is a lot more damaging than losing here and winning the next. I don’t really see how this game is MUST-WIN in a way that other games aren’t.

26. Coach pb9617 says:

This isn’t make or break, but it would be nice to get.

The Oilers need five points in their next four games and four of those points must come against Columbus and Minnesota. Beating Tampa is a good thing, but it really only softens the blow if they lose to Nashville. They absolutely need to beat Columbus and Minnesota.

27. Traktor says:

MacT was talking yesterday about how after Hemsky, Horcoff and Cole the goal scoring dries up.

Does he not know that Penner is tied for 2nd among forwards and that Cogliano is one behind Horcoff?

Cogliano has 5 more points than Cole, 8 more points than Nilsson and 10 more points than Gagner despite playing with Rifles and a revolving door of shit most of the year.

I’m a Stortini fan but what the fuck?

Cogliano is the most opportunistic player on the team; re: shooting percentage.

Like I mentioned before, he’s only 1 goal back of Horc, Cole and Penner. So how does MacTavish harness this goal scoring prowess?

Well he puts the two worst passers on the team on his line in Stortini and Ethan Rifles. Now that’s what I call putting players in the position to succeed!

I hope we lose tonight so I can hear MacTavish blame the loss on Matt Roy for not helping Springfield win games.

This team could lose 10-0 and nothing would change.

MacTavish could ice Peckham on a line scoring line and nothing would change.

This team has shown no marked improvement in the last 3 years and NOTHING has changed.

Go Bolts!

28. Traktor says:

Rifles and Stortini have a combined 12 assists in 97 games.

Make things happen Cogliano! Yeah!

29. quain says:

The first 99 reasons I hope Erik Cole is traded have to do with getting Cogliano on the second line.

Maybe he’ll get demoted to the fourth line and center Pouliot and Reddox… which would be a substantial improvement in terms of linemates that can play with him.

30. HBomb says:

quain: In principle, I do agree with that concept, but we’d be right back to having a smallish top-six. Catch 22.

traktor: No one is awaiting the Pisani return more anxiously than Cogliano. Now if they’d move the guy to LW, drop Moreau down with Brodziak and Stortini, and then give 13-34 a center with actual talent (be it Pouliot, a recalled Brule, or someone via trade), we’d be in business….

31. Unleaded says:

@ Tractor

LOL. What we need is a line of Moreau, JFJ and Stortini. Then we can safely assume that someone will get a hat trick, becuase things never work the way you’d expect them to with this team.

It is interesting who the coach is pimping though. I still have to wonder how much of that is the brain Trust doing its damnedest to make sure that Cogliano and Brodziak get next to no attention on this team, in the hopes of re-upping both at the lowest rates possible.

If I was a GM, for say Toronto, I’d be tossing out a 3.5 M/5 years offer sheet at Brodziak this summer. If the guy could get ice time, I think he could have 2nd line potential. I mean, with his point totals mirroring Gagner’s without any PP time and more own-zone draws than anyone but Horcoff… You’d almost be able to say he’s got a nose for the net.

32. Jonathan Willis says:

Unleaded:

With regard to Brodziak, I’m on board with signing him to as long a deal as he wants this summer; he won’t cost much, and he’ll be worth it.

33. Unleaded says:

You know, that gets me thingking… if anyone is going to be tossing out offer sheets in the next little while, you’d have to think this summer would be the time to do it. If teams realize the cap is going down, you can offer more money this year to the RFA and give up less in draft picks, than they would be able to in future years. Not related to the game tonight, but an interesting thought.

34. Scott says:

Why would you do this for a player with second line potential? If that’s the case in the best case scenario you have a second line player making appropriate or maybe a little too much money. In the worst case scenario… yikes.

If Cole is traded the team is a lot weaker. Cole hasn’t contributed near enough points, but he does draw a lot of penalties and has been one of the best contributors on the PK. He’s also a physical player. Although it’s difficult to say how much this helps to win games, I do think it’s important to have physical players in the line-up. I suppose keeping him only makes sense if one values the team making the playoffs. I do value that and so would prefer to keep him while shipping out the veteran experience that isn’t really helping to win games now (Moreau especially and Staios to a lesser degree) and will be a liability going forward.

35. Black Dog says:

Big game, big game.

Time for big game players to score some big goals.

I am terrified as to what lowe is going to do this week – I just picture Smid, Peckham and Nash all getting sent out for twenty games of Bill Guerin and Radek Bonk.

Seriously shitting my pants. These guys are desperate.

The use of Cogliano lately had been criminal.

The guy they should go after – Nik Hagman. 27 goals last year. 18 this year. Plays hard. Nice contract for two more years after this. He’d be a nice fit on the wing.

Don’t know what he would cost but that us the type of move I could get behind.

One name that hasn’t come up – Tkachuk. Big LW. He cost a first, second and a third two years ago. Probably cost less this year, I would think.

36. Sean says:

I think Brodziak could be had 4 years 1.5 per from the Oil. He’s taken a beating statistically and could be a good bargain buy. 3.5 per over 5 is way too much. I’d take the picks.

37. quain says:

I’m operating under the constraints that Erik Cole isn’t going to be here next season, and there’s nothing we can do about size will skill this season.

So, trade him now, put all of your small eggs in one basket to protect (and get Cogliano the work at wing), build a decent checking line with what you have and maybe a cheap spare part, and hope you get the chance to lose to San Jose in the playoffs.

Then, in the offseason, you can try to find a cheaper, rougher Dustin Penner for the kids. One that won’t eat all their fruit snacks at lunchtime.

38. Phil says:

@Traktor: AGREED. Cogliano does not get enough love – from coaching right on down to the blogosphere. If he got Gagner minutes/linemates, I can’t help but think he’d have 20 goals already.

This team has been playing ‘must win’ games since November, although these are only ‘must wins’ for the fans, because more often than not, the team just looks indifferent on the ice. I’m hoping for more tonight, but certainly not expecting it.

39. Scott says:

I like Hagman as well BD. The only problem with him is the economics. We’d need to be moving out more 10/11 salary then we’re bringing in if we want to afford him. If the cap comes down hard, we’ll need to move out useful players in order to fit him in. 3M seems pricy for a second line player going forward if you expect to pay either or both of Gagner and Cogliano. What percentage of the cap would you spend on the second line?

40. Jonathan Willis says:

I think most here are overstating what kind of money Brodziak’s going to get. Say 3 years, 3 million total? 4 years, 4.5 million?

41. Unleaded says:

@ Blackdog

If you’re determined to unload Penner, I’d guess Penner and a prospect would get you Tkachuk. Also, with him being UFA at the end of the season, it might be worthwhile simply to get some salary off the books.

Also, if Smid gets moved, I’m following him as a fan to his new team. I love that kid and his goofy smile.

@ Scott:

Three reasons:

1 – I’m Brian Burke and if you shit on me I’ll be sure to return the favour
    2 – Brodziak and Smid are probably the most underrated Oilers on the team right now. Perfect time for stealing one of them, and I think that losing Brodziak would hurt the Oilers more.
    3 – The salary you offer has to be high enough to push the team you’re stealing the player from that they won’t want to match, but low enough that the player has the possibility of earning that ammount over the duration of the contract. 3.5 was a figure I thought Brodz could earn if his PK, faceoff, and scoring continuing to progress at its current pace, and if he gets some chemistry, it could be even better.

42. Scott says:

I completely agree. That 3M total over 3 years would be where I’d want to stay with regard to both term and dollars.

43. quain says:

If Toronto wants to give me their first round pick for Brodziak they should call me up on the phone and save some money on the RFA offer sheet, because I’d be doing that trade so many times that Superman would have to take me back in time just so I could do it again and again.

Brodziak is a solid role player, but that’s about it.

44. Scott says:

I don’t understand why we would want to unload Penner other than the fact he has some obvious dissonance with the coach. The first line isn’t the problem though both in terms of play on the ice and price. If money needs to be saved, it should come at the expense of Moreau and Staios who are getting more money then their roles can be given.

With regard to Brodziak, if someone offers 3.5 per I think that it’s obvious that you take the picks. 3.5M is expensive for a second line player to begin with and he hasn’t proven he can do it. For the Oilers, the cap situation means that you’d probably need to give up on one of Cogliano or Gagner in order to sign Brodziak and that just seems like a bad decision.

45. Sean says:

Agreed its Torontos pick after all. Even though they are a much better team with a goaltender, I’d be all over that pick.

I dont know Brodziak would sign that but ya he should be bargain.

46. Coach pb9617 says:

His personal vendetta against Penner is getting to be a bit grating.

47. Black Dog says:

Yeah but Scott, re Hagman, you’re saving Nilsson’s salary right away so its doable I think.

Unleaded – I don’t think you need to or want to trade Penner in that deal. In fact Penner or Nilsson alone would get you a rental if the team you are trading to likes the player.

They get a sure thing NHLer rather then futures.

Two years ago Tkachuk brought a first, second and third from Atlanta. I would guess he could be had for less this year – he’s two years older.

Personally I think that Lowe is going to blow his brains out here. I think its stupid – this team doesn’t have what it takes – but its going to happen.

I want to see them in the playoffs of course but not at any cost.

And trading any of the young players with any value is a huge no-no. Pouliot has no future here but moving Smid, Reddox, Brodziak or Stortini for 20 games of anybody would be a loser move.

48. HBomb says:

Coach: No shit, eh?

Not only did Penner get no love, MacT went out of his way to say Nilsson didn’t have a good game Saturday. However, the guy hasn’t said a peep about 12′s improved play the last few weeks.

Those two are his whipping boys. Pouliot to a lesser degree gets it as well. Yet sacred shit-cows (Moreau and Staios) get away with fucking murder.

Double-standard from the coach. Probably a poisonous thing in a locker room. The sooner MacT is gone, the better, IMO.

49. Unleaded says:

I agree with you guys completely. Penner is not the problem. That being said, with MacT at the helm, he’s never going to be the solution on the first line because Craig won’t let him be. Period. I was suggesting that if we know the coach is staying (and right now I wouldn’t bet against it) then dealing Penner for some cap space at eh end of the season is as good a plan as any, and Keith’s play might be able to get us into the playoffs. Of course, if it was up to me, we’d just tell them both to play nice and play smart, and go from there.

In regards to Brodziak, I’d say that if you can get him at a million and change for 3-4, you’re ahead of the game. I see a lot more potential there, but like you’ve said, that’s where his game is now. If 3.5M will give a First, then ya, I’d say that’s an overpayment too. I’m still not sure what the dollar figures to compensation picks rates are. If anyone wants to enlighten me… that’d be swell!

50. relic says:

I would be shocked as hell to see penner moved. Not only is he not the problem, if he was dealt for cap space is would mean Klowe admitting to a mistake, to the world and to Burke. Don’t see it happening.

51. Scott says:

Are you moving Nilsson out completely then? If so, it does make things slightly easier, although you’re still investing about an extra million in the second line. I guess my concern is with 2010/11. I think you need to plan on a 50M cap until you know the figure in the summer of 2010. For me, that means planning on a second line at about 7.5M. I also expect Gagner’s counting numbers to improve into next year and so I hope that the Oilers take this opportunity to get him to sign an extension this summer. Something like 15/5 would be delightful. If he won’t sign for 3M or less, then you may as well wait until the following summer. That leaves about 1.5 for the last player on the line, and even less if the cap goes below 50M. I’m sort of talking myself into the Hagman suggestion, but I do think that it means Cogliano is probably moving on after his entry-level deal (or Gagner if you rate Cogliano better).

The dollar figures change depending on the status of the average salary (salary cap). Speeds put the numbers up for a cap of 53.3M which will probably be pretty close for what happens this summer:

$819,571.74 OR LESS None
    $819,571.74 to $1,241,775.56 receives a 3rd round pick
    $1,241,775.56 to $2,483,551.12 receives a 2nd round pick
    $2,483,551.12 to $3,725,325.62 receives a 1st and a 3rd round pick
    $3,725,325.62 to $4,967,101.17 receives a 1st, a 2nd, and a 3rd round pick
    $4,967,101.17 to $6,208,879.91 receives two 1st’s, one 2nd and one 3rd round pick
    $6,208,879.91 OR MORE receives four 1st round picks

You can find an explanation in section 10.4 of the CBA which can be found in PDF format on the NHLPA website.

52. Phil says:

Re: Penner,

I would like to see him stick around and see what he does under a new coach. His underlying numbers are pretty dang good, and that’s playing uninspired hockey for a coach that clearly hates him. If the new coach and he get along, and he finds some inspiration, he’s perfectly capable of playing up to, or even out-performing his contract. He’s just got such great tools… He could be a scary scary player.

What if they don’t bring in a new coach this summer, you say? Well, at that point, it won’t matter, because no one will be watching anymore ;)

53. Unleaded says:

@ Scott

Thanks! I knew the format, I just wasn’t sure about the numbers. Most indicators I’ve seen so far have suggested the Number will actually stay pretty close to the current cap @ 56M, but that really doesn’t change the numbers much. I’d take Toronto’s 1st and 3rd too.

I don’t think you can justify trading Nilsson for Hagman. I’ll admit he’s more of a scorer, which would be helpful, but Nilsson’s got a lot more room for growth than Hagman for the duration of his contract. I’m aware of the fact that Nilsson may never reach that potential, but I don’t think that the Oilers are better off after that trade, and it’s the running in place trades that seem to have gotten us here to begin with. Especially if you consider that keeping Nilsson instead of Hagman means you can afford Cogs, it really becomes a no brainer.

I almost wish that we were in Colorado’s position. Have a fire sale on our vets now, spend very little this summer, and hope teams have to give up good assets for cap releif in 10/11 because they gave them too much money. Maybe we can trade Staois and Moreau to Ottawa for a 1st? :P

54. Sean says:

Penner was also Carlyle’s whipping boy (although Carlyle couldn’t coach Bertuzzi either). I’m not convinced a new coach would fix Penner. He is bottom 10% compete level in the NHL and still gets results. MacT/KLowe were both 2 of the most competitive in the league as players and their frustration to me is understanding. If they decide to package Penner for an upgrade on LW I’ll buy it.

55. Mr DeBakey says:

Penner for Tkachuk?

Just shoot me now
    I’m serious, I’m ready to go
    Head shot, please

The whole 2008 draft for that phukkin loser Tkachuk?
    How many games have Tkachuk’s many, many previous teams won in the play-offs?

Penner for Tkachuk better include St Louis’ first rounder,
    Not that I’ll care
    I’ll be dead
    Headshot

56. Unleaded says:

From the Oilers’ Preview:

LINE-UP UPDATES: Zack Stortini slips in to the third line with Ethan Moreau and Andrew Cogliano, while Steve MacIntyre, Kyle Brodziak, and Liam Reddox combine on the fourth line… Jean-Francois Jacques and Marc Pouliot are not expected to play tonight…. Dwayne Roloson makes his 15th straight start in net.

Poor Andrew… Poor Kyle… When we talk about players who are “trying to carry the team”, we don;t often discuss the guys who are actually doing it. Those two boys are carrying around the boat anchors. Isn’t it interesting that both of them play left wing?

57. digger says:

When Cogliano looks to his left to see Moreau, then to his right to see Stortini, I wouldn’t fault him if he thought to himself “Fuck…I never thought getting saddled with Steve Downie was actually a harbinger of things to come.”

58. Black Dog says:

unleaded/scott – not necessarily saying that Nilsson has to go or goes for Hagman – just saying that he’s the likely guy who would be moved

Mr.D – yeah Tkachuk has sucked in the playoffs, always has, but sooner or later he has to hit the jackpot, right? um, right???

Guerin did nothing his last goround either.

But who else out there is a rental who is better? Pickings are slim.

59. St George says:

I just heard Jim Nill (VP and assistant GM of the Red Wings) interviewed on XM radio. He said they wanted Hossa to stay and Hossa wanted to stay and that they were talking about different packages. Perhaps that means we can stop worrying about Hossa.

60. Black Dog says:

Yeah I don’t think Hossa is in the mix. They will keep him over Franzen I think.

61. Mr DeBakey says:

But who else out there is a rental who is better?

Naslund?
    Not a rental, exactly
    One more full year at $4 million
    For Moreau or Cole….

New York’s Cap situation is a mess
    I think Sather secretly hates the Rangers

62. oilerdago says:

Digger/Unleaded:

You’ve nailed it about Cogs getting completely screwed by the MacBlender this season. At least he’s professional enough not to complain about it in the papers.

Injuries can make you do strange things to your lines but haven’t we about seen enough of all this nonsense? Zorg and Smac draw in?

Pouliot has to be hoping right now that he gets shipped out at the trade deadline because he realizes that he’s never going to get to play his natural position under MacT and is just going to get called out for the fact that he’s not a wing and his coach hates him for it.

63. Coach pb9617 says:

I would not be adverse to Moreau for Naslund and Cole for Boston assets.

64. HBomb says:

Pat, you should know better than this by now.

This is the Wings we’re talking about. Against all odds/logic, they’ll convince both to hang around, and do so at below-market-value.

Just watch.

65. reijo29 says:

Unleaded – Can you please clear up your Brodziak RFA offer?
    I interpreted it as 5 years for 3.5 million total, which is not enough, realistically looking at 1 million per as most ppl have stated in follow up remarks.
    However, it seems as if numerous ppl here think you were saying TO would offer 5yrs @ 3.5 per (17.5 million Total) which would go down as the stupidest FA signing of all time, not because Brodz is a bad player but because you would be spending 2.5 million a year more then necessary.

Please just clear this up so ppl stop thinking 3.5 million a year and TO's 1st & 3rd.

Guys, the fact that at least 2 ppl interpreted Unleaded's comment this way gives me some serious doubts about some people's hockey/financial knowledge.

On another note:
    Why SMac over JFJ against TB?

Finally, Dan Barnes mentioned the Oil exploring V.Kozlov from ATL to play 1st line LW. Thoughts?

66. quain says:

Guys, the fact that at least 2 ppl interpreted Unleaded’s comment this way gives me some serious doubts about some people’s hockey/financial knowledge.

$700,000/year is likely undervalue for Brodziak to the point he likely wouldn’t sign it, and Edmonton would match that offer just as often as they’d let him walk for $3.5M a year. Regardless of how you interpret it, it doesn’t make any sense.

Also, given that he was talking about signing him for enough that Edmonton couldn’t match, and that he wouldn’t be worth it just yet, but maybe someday, is fairly clearly pointing towards $3.5M/year.

67. oilerdago says:

Yeah, I interpreted it at $700k per year which would be an under-pay for Brodziak (and I don’t think he’d sign it).

My guess would be much closer to Jonathan’s (about $1 million per).

Maybe the Oil could send out Pouliot and Moreau for Reasoner and Kozlov?

68. doritogrande says:

Just picked up my new Oilers white jersey, Cogliano adorned on the back. I’m hoping for a good game from the speedy one tonight, in honour of me dropping $140. Do me proud kid.

//You’ve nailed it about Cogs getting completely screwed by the MacBlender this season.//

70. Scott says:

I would not be adverse to Moreau for Naslund and Cole for Boston assets.

If the cap stays stagnant going into next season, this could be a problem for resigning Grebs, Brodziak and Smid, but if this is combined with moving out Staios as well to someone else then this is an outstanding plan for everyone except the Rangers. If they’re trying for cap relief they could easily move Naslund with little salary and no term coming back. I can’t imagine any reason for them to do it, but if they’re willing the Oilers would be stupid for not running with it.

This would of course depend on what is needed to get Kozlov in the first place, but I think he’s a pretty good player. I don’t think he would be the best fit on the first line because I’m not confident he could handle PvP. Frankly, he’d almost certainly be a step down from Penner. As an upgrade on Nilsson for the Gagner line he could work – I think that’s the role he’s been playing the most with ATL this year along with Little and White – but I’m not convinced he’s a better bet than Nilsson. The extra year on his contract hurts too. I think I’d prefer to keep Nilsson in that role over Kozlov and I’d definitely take Penner over Kozlov on the first line.

71. kamus says:

Can some one give me one good reason why the coach keeps dressing Macintyre when he has actual NHL caliber players available? Maybe against a team like Calgary I can buy it but T.B.

72. pboy says:

You couldn’t have said that any better. Couldn’t agree with you more.

73. Phil says:

Here, here.

74. Unleaded says:

@ Kamus:

You dress SMac if you want Hemsky to get extra time playing on the left wing. It’s dumb, but that’s why you do it. I don’t have a problem with Stortini getting the playing time, but I agree that over-playing Hemsky and Horcoff when you’re already overplaying Souray and Gilbert is assinine.

I was refering to a 3.5M/year deal. Yes it is stupid. I still think he could be worth that in 5 years, but because of where Toronto’s picks are it does become a poor deal. My point was not that the 3.5M/year for Brod would make sense, but that it would make sense to be targetting lower-wage guys who matter to their teams like Smid and Brodz for offer sheets this year, because you could offer more than you would be able to next year, and give less in picks. COnsidering the value that is in this years draft, it’s unlikely that next year’s will be of a similar calibre, so it’s not a bad bet to make. I was just way off on my money ammount. My thought was that a 2nd or 3rd round pick for compensation for one of theose guys would be reasonable. Based on the numbers posted, if there were offers on both Smid and Brodziak for 2.4M/year over 3-5 years, the Oilers can’t afford to match both for sure, and maybe either. They lose valuable pieces they need now. This is something an angry/thoughtful GM could do to ensure the Oilers cannot compete effectively next season either.

Kozlov is not the answer, and I would doubt that Naslund would fare any better coming here. Considering how Marty’s doing in Atlanta, I’d be surprised if they traded him. He’s playing quite well down there, and while they could trade him is to help the team tank more going into the off-season, if I was running things there, I’d see what I can do to resign him for 3 years @ 2.5M. He’s a workhorse, and they need more down there.

All things being equal, the ship here in Edmonton seems to be taking on water, and if I was a wise player, I’d be doing my damnedest to get out. If management continues on their current path, it’s going to get much worse before it gets better.

75. DBO says:

At this point does anyone think MacT is done next year regardless of playoffs? I wonder if they have already decided to let him step into the execuitve and are going to promote one of the assistants. What will kill me is that nothing will change, but this group seems determined to continue the Old boys network.

I wonder if we could pry Malone out of tampa for nilsson and picks/prospects. they had interest in the off season, and all indications are he’s a great locker room guy, plays with grit and brings it every night. Not to mention that he can score 25 goals.

76. oilerdago says:

//How so? Horcoff is centre. Gagner is a centre. Cogliano is a centre. If he wants to be a centre (which he clearly does), he isn’t being screwed.

The Oilers would have put Gagner’s development as a centre if the kid line had produced, but the kid line didn’t produce.//

godot: my point is not so much the position but the partners. Cogs has been given nothing to work with (18 and now 46) since being moved off the kid line.

Last season that group produced with the soft minutes, this year teams adjusted and Cogs was moved down to 18/78 and now 18/46.

Nothing against Zorg personally but no one here’s convinced he’s a legit 3rd liner and 18 is not an offensive force either.

Hence, Cogs is in no man’s land until 34 comes back and then he’s still stuck with 18.

77. Dennis says:

On 78: It’s best for him to leave right now and while he’s certainly a nice top nine option at his price, it doesn’t look like he’ll stick with the Oilers. For some strange reason MacT never thought he could play centre and never gave him a shot to PK despite the fact he did a good job on that unit back in the ’07 Titanic season.

So, he was looked at as a winger – save for that one home game where him-18-26 were gonna match toughs – and asked to produce with 18 and then all of a sudden it looks like he’s done.

In the meantime, 13 can lose all the faceoffs a man could want plus he could jake it when it comes to own zone assignments.

I’ve said before about how we wasted this season on 89 and 13 and the end result looks like 13′s either a winger or he’s trade bait.

It doesn’t appear he can be a centre.

LT always says this team’s unbalanced and he’s right. And they just can’t seem to get any traction whatsoever.

78. Scott says:

Is the assumption that he takes Penner’s place as 1LW? We can’t really afford to keep both players. Malone has six more years at a 4.5M cap hit. That’s pretty scary from my perspective, especially considering he’s already 29 years old. His development is probably close to turning on the downslope and he’s topped out at 27-24-51. Not exactly a world beater. Last year Penner had 23-24-47 so it’s not as if Malone is a big upgrade. I’d let TB eat their Malone contract and stick with Penner. I’m a lot more comfortable paying Penner for his 27/28/29 year old seasons than I am doubling my risk in terms of years and paying Malone to play his 30/31/32/33/34/35 year old seasons. By the (middle?) end of that contract he would probably be a huge liability.

MacT seems to get seduced by small sample sizes unless he’s already made a decision on a player. Mac played really well against Calgary in his limited minutes so the coach gives him another game.

79. DBO says:

And if hossa is a no go, why not add the “gritty character player” mact and team seem to love. Listening to Team 1260 with the tampa reporter, and it seems like they will look in the off season for a puck moving dman. If we accept the pain of the cap in coming years and the need to jettison one of the dmen, would we deal Vishnovsky instead of a grebeshkov in order to save money? assuming greb signs for $2 mill less per year, it would give us flexibility and the capacity to get a decent return.

How about Vishnovsky for Malone and Halpern.
    Then deal Cole for Ruutu

those 2 deals make us way grittier, and cap wise we can fit it in

Malone – Horcoff – Hemsky ($14.25)
    Penner – Gagner – Ruutu ($8.87)
    Cogliano – Halpern – Pisani ($5.66)
    Moreau – Brodziak – Stortini ($3.7)
    $1 m for 2 reserves

Souray – Gilbert ($9.4)
    Smid – Greb ($5.0)
    Staios – Peckham ($3.3)
    $.75 m for 1 reserve

total = $51.88

next year it leaves us $4 million for goalies. (rollie = $2 m, JDD $.625 = $2.625)

With goalies = $54.505.

gives us a few millon under the cap (the cap will not go down next year, it is the year after where the problem will arise) to make an acquisition at the deadline.

It won’t happen, but that team gives us grit, balanced scoring and youth going forward.

80. Unleaded says:

Uh… Nilsson?

81. DBO says:

unleaded: just realized I forgot Nilsson. He’s a cheap option salary wise, and i think when i first went through these deals I had him going to carolina to get Ruutu (with us gettng a pick back as well) since Cole is a UFA and Carolina is pushing for the playoffs they would want a few bodies back.

I finally figured out that thing that buggered the blog. It was the site meter thing, so that’s gone.

As for tonight’s game, I’m past anger and in the middle of indifference–which is the home town of Bud Selig.

83. Temujin says:

Who’s up for a shootout? Anyone?

*ducks out of sight*

84. Traktor says:

I heard the reason MacTavish doesn’t like Pouliot is because of that quote Poo had a couple months ago.

Traktor: Which one?

86. Black Dog says:

Which one is that Traktor?

Hbomb – I agree they will likely keep both and probably move Hudler plus – at some point they have to move somebody.

Don’t they?

Malone? Please. One decent year, playing with Malkin.

Warren Young plus he got hit in the face a couple of times.

Big deal

87. Traktor says:

“I don’t know what’s going on. I have new linemates every practice.”

88. kris says:

Anybody have a link? I love you for your links.

—-

I still don’t understand where the offense went this season. Oiler offense is like those pesky WMD’s in Iraq: supposed to be there but not there at all. So, the lesson is we should have let the weapons inspectors look at our offense more or something.

89. Traktor says:

It’s weird because a year ago MacT was calling him the next Carbo and now all the sudden Pouliot hasn’t found his niche and now MacT doesn’t like him at center, even though he was never auditioned at center.

90. Scott says:

Where did you hear this? Message board? Contact with the team? MacT himself?

I still don’t understand where the offense went this season.

As compared to early this season or as compared to last season?

91. Traktor says:

“Where did you hear this? Message board? Contact with the team? MacT himself?”

A friend who’s a bartender at an establishment Oiler players frequent. Probably bogus but you never know.

92. Black Dog says:

Oh, that’s not the one I heard. I was thinking of this one:

“MacT is a stupid idiot:

Oh wait, that was hunter.

93. Bank Shot says:

Mact doesn’t like Pouliot because Pouliot is Reasoner without the heart and effort

The guy has been given every chance in the world to earn a permanent roster spot, and he hasn’t been able to do it.

I think MacT is acting like a coach who is going down the drain, and most of us in a similar situation would probably play the men who we had success with in the past.

Which means Roloson, Staios, Moreau, Pisani when he returns. And he’s probably calling Rem Murray.

I’m interested in seeing this team make the playoffs, but if they don’t and there’s no coaching change it’ll be a tough sell.

95. kris says:

Oilers players are pretty boring if that’s what they talk about at the bar:

Moreau: I think he likes you.

Poo: I don’t know. I just don’t know. I mean, Penner told me he doesn’t like me because of what I said.

Staios: Oh, you silly. You’re just reading too much into MacT’s words and Penner is so not the guy to talk to about what the coach thinks. You should sit down and have a heart to heart with him

Poo: Oh you guys are my true friends; I can always count on you. Tee hee.

kris: Classic.

97. Traktor says:

Apparently MacTavish told Pouliot to watch what he says to the media.

I only hope that MacTavish wouldn’t let something so inconsequential dictate how he plays Pouliot but who really knows what MacTavish’s motives are any more.

98. Coach pb9617 says:

Obviously, it would be Moreau+. I keep forgetting that everyone’s FoR is the boards, where someone might think Moreau for Naslund is doable.

Moreau and Naslund would be the roster players involved.

99. Schitzo says:

Well, who looks silly now?

100. Scott says:

Coach, I realize that this may frustrate you further but I honestly don’t know what FoR is. Also, adding something to the Moreau pot does obviously make the deal more tenable. What kind of “+” are you thinking?

101. Schitzo says:

I’ll guess Frame of Reference.

102. Coach pb9617 says:

Frame of Reference.

Sather has to dump salary now and hard. $39 million for nine players next year. I keep coming back to the rumor floating that they’d send Rozsival to Dallas for a 3rd. Sather has never been good about keeping secrets, so I bet that’s not too far off. If he’s just looking to dump salary, he gets to knock two million off of the cap and he can get a draft pick too.

Naslund is one more year at 4 million and then when you really need the dough, he’s gone.

103. reijo29 says:

Love Brodz as a player and a person but the day he is worth 3.5 million a year is the same day that Steve Mac scores 50 in 50.

I have no problem whatsoever with the idea that someone (Burke, Reiger) would find it beneficial to offer one of the Oilers RFA’s a big front loaded contract but that player would be Grebs and if not him maybe Smid not Brodz unless it’s a reasonable matchable deal 5yr. 7.5 total at most and in that case I pack Brodz’s bags for him and take the picks.

104. Traktor says:

Campoli with 3 points already in 1.5 games for Ottawa. How funny would it be if they traded away another quality player?

105. Scott says:

I agree that the Rangers need to be dumping salary, but I would think that they’d be looking to move it without getting more salary back in return. Naslund is a good enough player that he could attract at least a 2nd rounder (I would think). If that’s the case the Oilers would probably need to sweeten the pot to a 1st rounder to get the Rangers to take Moreau and that just doesn’t seem worth it. Moreau doesn’t have negative value to everyone, but I’d bet that he does to the Rangers given their cap situation.

106. Dennis says:

LT: I’m pretty close to the same area code, ie indifference.

I’m about to watch the game tonight and it’s more to keep up the scoring chance count more than anything else.

We need to string together a few games to gain anything close to resembling ground and it doesn’t appear we have the horses.

It’s the same thing every year and you never get to enjoy the regular season.

107. Icecastles says:

Kevin Quinn has a face made for radio.

108. DBO says:

link for the live stream? At work on the computer

109. doritogrande says:

Well, it ain’t Cogliano, but I’ll take that.

Cole snipes.

110. PDO says:

That’s the Erik Cole we were supposed to get.

Nice geno.

Erik Cole! Picked a good time to get hot.

112. doritogrande says:

Way too many 3′s in that fight ;)

113. Scott says:

If Jonathan comes, I’ll need to rib him about Marek Malik.

Given the amount of hand-wringing it’s pretty amazing that Cole’s on pace for 20 goals.

MACINTYRE!

114. doritogrande says:

What the hell? Strudwick doing a Souray impression?

115. danny says:

Don’t get your hopes up boys. 2-0 is nice and all, but they have a legit 1st line center.

116. PDO says:

Wow is it ever quiet there.

I guess that’s what happens on a Tuesday night game against a bottom feeder when you’ve only won 4 of your last 10.

Still, hard to complain about the start.

117. Scott says:

Strudwick with a goal!

And that’s why the Lightning need Smith…

118. quain says:

If Jonathan comes, I’ll need to rib him about Marek Malik.

My exact thought process: “I can see why the Rangers booed him.”

119. PDO says:

Cogliano just had a Gagner special.

Guess he’s trying to show the coach he belongs on the 2nd line ;)

120. quain says:

I’m proud of Stortini for trying to put himself into position to be the shooter on the third line… I just wish he had a shot.

121. doritogrande says:

First overall picks: Trouble-makers or just a product of stupid parents?

122. Coach pb9617 says:

What the hell? Strudwick doing a Souray impression?

If I’m not mistaken, that puck bounced twice on the way in on goal.

123. doritogrande says:

Terrible embelish from Reddox there. Fucking ginger.

124. doritogrande says:

Fatass…

125. doritogrande says:

I don’t care if Nilsson had the tap in there, that’s a shot Gagner has to take.

126. Coach pb9617 says:

Terrible embelish from Reddox there. Fucking ginger.

Melichar is a guy that Lowe should be looking at for the 6th dman if Grebs comes back next week.

127. zeno says:

wow bryzgalov

128. Black Dog says:

Peckham getting the third most minutes on D that period, just a half dozen seconds less then Gilbert.

That’s … interesting?

129. PDO says:

BD:

Giving him some experience and the other guys some rest in a game that’s already 2-0 and we’re handling rather easily?

130. doritogrande says:

Pat:

I’d rather give Peckham the minutes now than in the 3rd period. Wouldn’t you?

131. Dennis says:

1st: 9-3; 6-3 EV; 3-0 ST.

Two of the three TB chances happened with the PVP 10 vs VL match-up

132. doritogrande says:

Oh good. They gave Gagner an assist. Why?

133. Black Dog says:

Well when they have an article in the paper talking about how tired Souray and Gilbert are then I guess someone has to pick up some of the slack.

Good for the kid though.

They better not trade him or I will be certainly upset.

134. Scott says:

Just for interest sake, these are the Oilers PDO numbers at even strength (including everyone partly for the sake of comedy) going into tonight:

Jacques – 150.0
    Stortini – 99.2
    Garon – 99.1
    Peckham – 95.8
    Brule – 95.3
    MacIntyre – 94.5

135. Black Dog says:

Are Tampa that bad? That disinterested?

I’m going to check out the second – guess I’ll see for myself.

Gagner got the puck back to Strudwick before the seeing eye single.

137. PDO says:

And that’s my cue to get a drink.

138. doritogrande says:

Public announcer has been working on his Le french I see.

139. Scott says:

Black Dog,

You know that every period is different right? Oops.

140. doritogrande says:

Souray was like, 0-6 on that powerplay in terms of hitting the MFing net.

141. mc79hockey says:

I like how the Lightning have apparently decided to save money by not scouting for the rest of the year. I can hear Tocchet on the bench now: “Looks like they like to go to the point on the PP boys.”

Just like snowflakes

143. PDO says:

That’s the second time that Horcoff has tried that pass to Penner this game on the one-timer.

Decent wrinkle, but I’d feel much better if he just shot five hole on the clapper and let the big man get a rebound…

The Oilers PP is like a Ramones song: same three chords.

145. Scott says:

Moreau slides into the faceoff ahead of Reddox there. Is Reddox a natural center? I probably shouldn’t stir this pot but I just can’t help myself:)

146. Black Dog says:

Scott – yeah maybe I should just sign off

Take it one shift at a time boys.

I like how they’re utilizing Souray on the point. New wrinkle.

147. bookie says:

The Oilers PP is like a Ramones song: same three chords.

Its not accurate to compare the beautiful simplicity of the Ramones to the crass and crude power play of the Oilers.

148. PDO says:

I can’t imagine the man crush I’d have on Erik Cole if every single shot he’d taken this year that had hit iron… was OTPAI.

Have to figure he’d have at least ten more geno’s.

149. Phil says:

Attaboy, Hemmer.

150. mc79hockey says:

According to Gene Principe, Ales Hemsky cures cancer.

Lot’s of EEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE’s there.

152. doritogrande says:

I miss having mobile D. Stamkos on a breakaway.

153. Icecastles says:

And it’s tied.
    Ice is looking a little slippery for Roli tonight….

154. PDO says:

Gotta be kidding me….

155. Traktor says:

Great call putting Cole on the 1st line.

Well it’s that fucker Pouliot again. Man, they gotta get rid of him.

157. Scott says:

That’s a really good shot by Stamkos and a really bad turnover by the cancer doctor (do we recognize degrees from the Czech Republic?)

158. PDO says:

Traktor:

Fantastic picture.

159. HBomb says:

Fucking embarrassing. Tied with a Tampa team that they were once up 2-0 on after five minutes of play.

Unacceptable. A loss in this game in a lot of other towns would be the grounds for getting the coach fired.

Here, they’ll blame Pouliot, Penner and Nilsson, Moreau will get endless praise for a “disciplined game”, and MacT will get a new three-year contract.

FUCK.

160. bookie says:

Look how the line blender gets results!

161. doritogrande says:

Cogliano wins a faceoff!

162. Icecastles says:

Zorg is the new Smyth.

163. PDO says:

I’m pretty sure that went straight in.

Amazingly, Cogliano won a faceoff…

164. Black Dog says:

Souray? Souray?

Bruce is on the phone to the scorekeeper right now! That totally glanced off of Stortini. ;)

165. PDO says:

I’m starting to wonder if Stortini could legitimately be a third line player for a few years here….

I think this is a good sign I’m losing my mind ;)

166. bookie says:

You know, I am not confident that this team is inherently better than how they look. There is a real good chance that a new coach would make little difference.

With that said, I am willing to throw caution to the wind just for the hope of something better, more interesting, and something different.

Regardless of the goal, this has been a sad sack Oilers team this evening.

167. Black Dog says:

Nice play by Theo (we’re on a first name basis now, he and I) but why are he and Strudwick on the ice at the same time as Vinny?

168. Scott says:

Now that was a big goal. Mostly for HBomb’s mood.

169. doritogrande says:

If Bruce has a gun to your head right now, say “purple monkey dishwasher”

170. bookie says:

Hey Guys, Sortini is playing with Moreau, as someone once said about Gretzky, a fire hydrant would look good playing with Moreau!

171. Phil says:

You know, that Peckham kid has made some pretty cool little plays in his own corner this period – those last couple, plus that one five minutes ago where he fell with two Lightning around him, and he was able to still hook the puck away from them while on his back. He doesn’t look nervous.

172. PDO says:

Out of town board…

Anaheim wins against a Miller-lite Buffalo squad and the Preds score 4 in the third to beat Chicago 5-3.

On the flip side, Calgary beating CBJ 3-1 and the Scabs beat the Nucks 3-0.

This team has the same melancholy as Richard Manuel when he sang I Shall be Released. In a way, this is a perfect season. It’s like getting gut shot at sunrise and bleeding out all day under the hot sun.

Anyone got anything else? HBomb?

174. Icecastles says:

Chicago are assholes for losing. You think they’d be willing to hang on and win it for our sake, if not their own….

175. bookie says:

I have never felt so disgusted about the Oilers when they were leading.

176. Icecastles says:

The ice may be too slippery for Roli tonight, but his glove is sharp. Beauty save.

Any that he lets in I will blame on Robbie Shremp not being brought up. Just cuz’.

177. Black Dog says:

LT – I actually think I used that same comparison a few weeks ago … great minds?

Maybe not. ;)

Scott – they’re all big goals at this point, pal; big goals by big game players

and some big saves from Roli – he’s a big game player too

big game big game

178. relic says:

should 18 tie up the stick of the guy jamming the puck at the side of the net or weakly shove from behind?

that’s right, door number 2…

179. Phil says:

@bookie: never? They looked worse than this leading Calgary the last game…

180. doritogrande says:

Speed kills. Or at least draws a penalty. Great lead pass by Stortini though.

BD: The Band or the bullet?

182. HBomb says:

Sloppy second. That’s all I’ll say about this period.

They’re up, but they’re not looking good doing it.

I’ve already watched home losses to Ottawa, Toronto, Nashville and Los Angeles. Tampa would be a new low.

183. doritogrande says:

Nice Save by the LIghtning kid there.

184. Scott says:

You know, I’d say that Malik has lost a step but when I saw a game in New York a guy blew past him in OT for the Canadiens and scored for the win. The guy’s optics are terrible.

185. Black Dog says:

See I like Stortini.

Moreau not so much.

But why they have Cogliano playing with those two guys is so beyond me. Seriously. Play Brodziak between them and give Cogliano the real cherry time with Potulny and someone else with skill. Some PP time too. Its silly.

186. bookie says:

Pass To Souray, Pass To Souray, Pass To Souray….look to Horcoff, Pass to Souray….

187. Icecastles says:

Come on Hemsky, you’re supposed to get Souray to miss on the PP, not Penner. At least everyone was moving their feet this time.

188. Phil says:

“…one of the many options Hemsky has on this powerplay.”

Someone needs to tell him that.

So, 10 bucks says you can’t guess what play the coach is drawing up for the powerplay to start the 3rd.

189. Black Dog says:

LT – the bullet.

I think I watch the Oilers for balance. Life is good. I’m a lucky guy.

The Oilers remind me that things can always get worse.

190. bookie says:

They looked worse than this leading Calgary the last game…

Well, it could be that my hate/respect for Calgary made it seem better. TB is totally pathetic and the Oilers look to be right there with them.

OR it could just be that the Oilers play today just seems more putrid because the smell of the Calgary game has kind of faded with time…

191. Icecastles says:

doritogrande said… Great lead pass by Stortini though.

That’s because Stortini is the new Jarri Kurri.

192. PDO says:

Win tonight and we’re in a 4 way tie for 7th that would leave us in 9th.

193. doritogrande says:

I like Gilbert a ton, but he’s not helping the powerplay. Throw Nilsson on for him, run an Umbrella with Souray at the top. Gives Hemsky someone else to play with.

194. PDO says:

Oh, I figure I may as well throw this out there…

Hemsky is currently dating a 40ish MILF.

Cogliano is working his ass off attempting to date her daughter.

Let the jokes ensue.

195. PDO says:

Canes fans did nothing but rave about Cole on the point last year.

I can’t comment on it, as I never saw it, nor can I really rap my head around it… but he certainly had success there.

196. Black Dog says:

LT – actually I was talking about what Lowe did to the team after June 19th 2006; I posted on the 8th this month:

“But in the end it all comes back to Lowe. He took a quality team and disembowelled it, leaving it to bleed out in the heat.”

First the team, then the fans.

197. Showerhead says:

PDO – do you know how much point time Cole got? I was looking at his shooting percentages the other day and trying to figure out if he was a freak when he scored 29 and 30 or a freak this season. If he played the point last year, I imagine there are a few low percentage shots dragging those numbers down? I wonder if they’re enough to be significant.

198. PDO says:

Shower, IIRC, Canes fans were saying it was around the 50 game mark he was moved there, due to an injury.

Newer Comments »