Moving up in the Peckham Order

Among the Springfield Falcons, Theo Peckham is the really interesting prospect. A kid who was drafted as a bit of a reach pick by Edmonton, he’s improved each season since the draft and is now an early option outside the big 7 at the NHL level.

I’ve written a few posts about him (he’s ranked #3 on my top 20) and he’s an example of a player who has tracked well by both scouting report and statistics over a long period.

I don’t know if he’ll play much (or at all) during this callup, but it’s another step on the long climb to the show.

Come the fall, I expect he’ll be a strong option for the Oilers roster.

42 Responses to "Moving up in the Peckham Order"

1. Yeti says:

Potulny sent down simultaneously … for good?

2. grease trap says:

…or evil?

3. Lord Bob says:

So, Lowetide readers, I have a conundrum for you.

I have two competing plans for Saturday night. On one hand, I have come into possession of a free ticket for the Victoria Salmon Kings ECHL game tomorrow. It’s a superb seat in the club section. Face value, $30, plus admission to the arena restaurant.

On the other hand, I could go to a rather pedestrian house party that night with a bunch of people I don’t really care for and one woman who I’d quite like to get with and whose boyfriend is apparently not attending.

Which must it be, my comrades?

I love hockey. LOVE IT. I still know my draft year (1980) and I can name the entire 67-68 Oakland Seals roster. I cried when Bobby Orr retired and I cried when the Oilers won their first Stanley and I put my fist through a wall when the Oilers traded Messier.

Get the girl.

5. kris says:

Strange and wonderful things can happen at a house party with an intriguing girl: life changing, memorable things. (I found my wife at a house party I didn’t want to go to. True story.)

Strange and wonderful things at hockey games, not so much.

6. Derek says:

Choosing an ECHL game over a piece of ass would be like making Rob Schremp the #1 center until Horcoff is ready to play again.

IMO of course. :)

7. Traktor says:

Can’t you do both? Go to the game, get wasted, then go to the house party and pick up.

8. Steve says:

I’ve always found students’ council meetings to be better than house parties in that respect.

Steve Smith
    Students’ Union Business Councillor
    (ret’d)

9. ryanbatty says:

Although I might try and do both like Traktor suggested, based on my experiences I wouldn’t get wasted at the game and then go for the girl. I’ve done that and it never seems to work as well as I hope.

10. Black Dog says:

L.B. – first of all, don’t think about it, just relax, no seriously …

oh never mind

girl girl girl

not even close

and then years from now when Valentines Day falls on a Saturday and your hockey team also plays on Saturday, well that is when you can make up for it ;) We played tonight in a particularly nasty affair and it seems that the team is set for next Saturday. Married guys will attend. Single as well. Non married but attached will be romancing.

What’s she going to do, raise the kids by herself?

And go Theo! And Ladi! If Gilbert is out tomorrow (I think like Horc he may just be tired) then let the kids play and see what they can do.

11. Black Dog says:

Traktor – NJ man they just get it done.

Very good drafting.

Good system. Good coaching. Good development.

Players buy into the whole culture.

They have been as good as long as Detroit now. And they don’t have the star power anymore.

Great organization.

12. HBomb says:

Lord Bob: It’s the ECHL. Do the house party. Get the girl.

Lowetide: Advice – never EVER let your kids even the opportunity to have a house party in high school. St. Albert ones are legendary for being total property destroyers.

I was dumb enough to have two in my grade 12 year, but smart enough to keep the guest list at a manageable 75 people I knew on both occasions. Parents got pissed off at me both times – got the lecture about the second one the same night Dallas Drake damn near killed Boyd Devereaux (literally).

13. rickibear says:

Lord Bob: Go to the game then the house party. It is allways better to be a late arrival. Then you decide if that is the time. Stay Sober but drink.

Just don’t do it in the garage. You would be surprised how many times people go in the garage to smoke a bit.

Steve I allways enjoyed living with 3-4 girl roomates. The Whyte Ave years. They allways walk around in underwear, get you to give them massages while watching TV, and every once in a while you get to. Plus your girlfreinds are allways slightly challenged by the situation. Keeps them on there toes.

Ah the the early 20′s.

Ahem. What EXACTLY is this blog turning into? :-)

15. St George says:

whose boyfriend is apparently not attending.

OK, I will be the devil’s advocate. Romance with entangled women rarely works out comfortably, happily, or peacefully. Hit the game, avoid the drama.

16. Bruce says:

Lord Bob: Are the Salmon Kings facing a divisional rival?

Sounds like you are too. Hit the game first, you might pick up a few tips.

But for goodness sake, follow Dennis’ advice and don’t get drunk first and screw it up.

17. HBomb says:

Ahem. What EXACTLY is this blog turning into? :-)

Multiple levels of totally awesome, THAT’s what!

18. kris says:

LT: What do you think Peckham’s odds of eventually being a top 4 guy are?

More generally, is there a sort of rule of thumb for defensive D-men like the rule for offensive forwards: if you’re not scoring point a game by the time you’re 20/21 in the AHL, you won’t make it in the bigs? I’ve also heard you say that offense in the A, translates to the NHL at about 45%. But that tells us about the scorers, what about the shutdown guys?

I’m sorry for being so ill informed, but Peckham’s interesting, and I want to know what to expect.

kris: There’s no real consensus on him. Bob Stauffer always says he has a chance to be a 5-6D but I like him way better than that:

I know he’s scoring at evs this season so that bodes well for him because he won’t get much PP time in the show.

He’s playing against tough opposition and he’s succeeding compared to the other Falcons’ D. You never know, but I think he has a bright future and will play top 4D unless injuries happen or his development stalls.

20. Doogie2K says:

This is kind of what I was thinking. Boyfriends always make things way more complicated than they have to be. They turn manageable 4-2 deficits into 10-2 finals.

21. Mr DeBakey says:

Game first
    Party Second
    Coffee Monday

22. HBomb says:

Well, nice to see someone else get whacked 10-2, but it made me notice something. James Neal scored his 17th and 18th goals tonight, putting him ahead of Oiler leader Ales Hemsky in this department.

It got me thinking, our leading scorer has 16 goals, and just how bad that was relative to the rest of the league. It’s worse than I thought. Here’s the guys on each team that are either tied with or ahead of Hemsky’s sixteen goals (tied marked with a *, does not include tonight’s games, excluding James Neal):

ANA (3) – Getzlaf, alleged “bust” Bobby Ryan, “Cuntbag” Perry

ATL (2) – Kovalchuk, Little

BOS (4) – Savard, Krejci, Kessel, Ryder

BUF (2) – Vanek, Roy

CAR (2) – Whitney, Staal

CGY (4) – Iginla, Cammalleri, Bourque, Langkow*

CHI (4) – Sharp, Kane, Havlat*, Toews*

CBJ (1) – Nash

COL (2) – Hejduk, Smyth*

DAL (2) – Eriksson, Neal

DET (5) – Hossa, Datsyuk, Zetterberg, Hudler, Franzen

FLA (1) – Booth

LA (2) – Brown, Frolov (note – trade for this guy!)

MIN – No one!

MTL (2) – Lang, A. Kostitsyn

NSH (1) – Arnott

NJD (2) – Parise (I like Pouliot, but damn, between him, Getzlaf AND Mike Richards, Lowe and Prendergast fucked up), Elias

NYI – No one!

NYR (1) – Naslund*

OTT (2) – Heatley, Spezza

PHI (5) – Carter, Richards, Gagne, Hartnell, Knuble (NOTE: If Philly trades Lupul for either Hamhuis or a Bouwmeester rental, look the
    hell out)

PHX (2) – Doan, Jokinen

PIT (3)- Malkin, Crosby, Sykora

SJS (3) – Marleau, Setoguchi, Clowe

STL (3) – Boyes, Backes, Berglund*

TBL (3) – St. Louis, Lecavalier, Malone*

TOR (3) – undeserved Masterton winner Blake, Antropov*, Ponikarovsky*

VCR (1) – D. Sedin

WSH (3) – Ovechkin, Semin, Green

Now I know Hemsky’s been out 10 games with that concussion, which probably makes him higher than a few guys in goals per game, but still…..the fact he’d only be leading goal scorer on TWO other teams (NY Islanders and Wild On Jack Lemaire) suggests there’s a problem here.

What that issue is is up for debate.

23. Hugh says:

hey lord Bob,

where about from St. albert are you from? I visit this blog fairly frequently and love the comments from st. albert.

24. Hugh says:

whoops i meant hbomb…..

25. kris says:

Some MacT pre-dame comments are up on the Oiler website.

He offers a pretty cogent evaluation of Poo. In brief, he says he likes Poo’s improvements, but Poo’s gotta find one thing -be it jam, defensive smarts, or offense- and bring it every night. He called Poo’s game “vanilla.”

New name: “Vanilla The Poo?”

26. kris says:

Also, it sounds like MacT is gonna run 3 lines, and sub in Pouliot, Stortini, and perhaps SMac when needed.

Horc and Gilbert out and Brodziak will stay on the top line.

Maybe:

Penner-Brodziak-Hemsky
    Nilson-Gagner-Cole
    Moreau-Cogliano-Reddox
    SMac-Pouliot-Stortini (leftovers)

Staios-Souray
    Smid-Grebs
    Strudwick-Peckham

Detroit wins 200 to -3?

27. Traktor says:

I place Peckham in the same class as Nick Petrecki or Colten Teubert. I really don’t think those guys are better prospects than Theo. He’s got a Lucic factor about him. Usually guys that can pound your brain in can’t play hockey but Theo can do both. I think his upside is a better, smarter version of Bryan Marchment.

28. Ribs says:

So, Lowetide readers, I have a conundrum for you.
    I have two competing plans for Saturday night.

What, you mean you won’t be fall-down drunk by the third period tomorrow afternoon?

Detroit, no Horcoff, and a 1PM start, is not a good combo.

29. Dennis says:

Normally, I’d be all about running 10 forwards but tomorrow’s not the time to it given we’ve got a huge game coming up on Sunday. And if that means you get blasted tomorrow with the 4th line gets caught on for two goals, well fuck it.

LB: take the lady option every time. It’s a fucking ECHL game and even if it wasn’t, take the girl.

And, St. Georges, I am an example of someone who made it work while dating a lady who had a boyfriend. And in terms of choosing women over hockey, back in ’97 and with G7 in Dallas upcoming I spent the night with that girl and I taped the hockey game. So, I sneaked downstairs at around 230 or 3am; it was just before whatever time ITV’s Sportsnight was broadcasting. This was before I had net access at home and while I did have the game taped, I couldn’t bear watching it if there was gonna be disappointment at the end. Wrapped in a blanket and shivering with the cold and anticipation I turn on ITV and Marchant’s OT goal is the first highlight and I just lose it. I settled in to watch the game on tape and a spring snowstorm was raging outside which canceled the next day’s classes.

Though I did make it up the street and pick up some beer shortly after noon the next day:D

Anyway, me and the roomies had the old “unlimited long distance minutes after 6pm” plan and I called my Dad at about 6:00:01.

He answered and I said “hello” and he replied, “they did it!”

I fucking remember that day like it was yesterday.

In closing, choose the girl.

30. Bruce says:

Some MacT pre-dame comments are up on the Oiler website.

Kris: Pre-dame comments? Sounds like Lord Bob isn’t the only one with women on the brain.

LB: There’s your answer. This whole thread has been pre-dame comments.

31. hunter1909 says:

Peckham is precisely what the Oilers need – a serious fighting defenceman.

Who hits.

LOL Lowetide. Messier is the worst trade of a terrible terrible litany. When he went, it was the end. I knew it immediately, not that it took a rocket scientist at the time.

PS: This team needs to take every single member of the dynasty working for the club and fire one at random, if only to prove that it’s even possible. Instead, we get a geriatric retirement home for dynasty hangers-on, Semenko excepted.

Visnovsky out = the end of the Oilers, unless he’s back in time for the playoffs. Oilers top 4 were the only good thing about them. Of course Schremp never needs to return. Oilers forwards are the class of the league, lol.

32. Lord Bob says:

Thanks for the tips, all. I wasn’t expecting quite so much near-unanimity, but at least it makes the mass opinion clear. :P

Hugh:

hey lord Bob,

You corrected yourself later, but I actually am from St. Albert. :P I live in Victoria these days but I was kicking around the Woodlands and North Ridge bits of town before university.

33. HBomb says:

Hugh and Lord Bob: I was a Kingswood guy until August long 2006. Fifteen months in Sherwoood Park, and now I’m Mr. Whyte Avenue.

34. HBomb says:

Anyways, funny story about Peckham – I’ve actually got his game-worn helmet from 2007-08 on the shelf in my condo. Picked it up at the Oilers locker room sale last spring.

The reason? It’s autographed by the whole team.

35. honkey says:

If any of you guys are awake at this hour you can watch Omark now.

Sweden – Czech

36. Mr DeBakey says:

MacT sured nailed Pouliot’s career

Its never quite came together.

50/50 he’s still an Oiler next season.
    He being Pouliot.

Or MacT for that matter

37. Schitzo says:

I put my fist through a wall when the Oilers traded Messier.

Really?

Yes. Not my finest moment.

39. HBomb says:

I was nine when the Oilers traded Messier. Even I was old enough and wise enough the Oilers got fucked.

40. Doogie2K says:

I wasn’t quite five, but I knew what that “C” meant, my daddy had told me, so I knew something was wrong. How wrong it was wouldn’t fully reach me until many years later, of course, but between that and losing to Minnesota, it was a confusing period, to say the least. I had just learned what the Oilers were, and now they’d gone and changed everything, and I didn’t like it.

41. Dennis says:

The Mess trade set off a chain of events – or at least was a harbinger after the Gretzky move – that lead to me pretty much tuning out the team after the ’93 season. I’d still keep an eye on them if they were on HNIC or a TSN cast but I never fully re-invested until they brought in CuJo.

The cool thing about Peckham returning is that through the work JW has done we know he’s at least playing the A toughs and his numbers look fine in doing so considering he’s playing defense on a truly awful team. So, it looks like the kid’s gonna be a big leaguer for sure.

But we already know that the 5/24 tandem can’t make hay against the league’s lesser lights so if say Peckham was to land with one ot those guys it’s not like he’d have a great mentor to bring him along.

//You guys ever wonder how New Jersey just wins games? Consistently one of the better teams with not much talent. Marty goes down and they just play better.//

The East is a really bad conference.

As for the game or the girl, Robin Williams answers your question in Good Will Hunting.