Oilers at Red Wings, G52/08-09

Not even the incomparable Gordie Howe made as impressive a debut in big league hockey as Alex Delvecchio did. He cracked the Detroit lineup in his very first professional season and got 15 goals. Seventeen years later and Delvecchio now has 350 goals. His strong point: versatility.

Much of his career has been spent as Gordie Howe’s playmaking centre. He’s been a standout on the left wing, and he’s regarded as an excellent prospect for defense if it ever develops that he’s not fast enough for the attack. Though he is only 36, he is gray, in keeping with his quiet personality.

-Jim Proudfoot, Summer 1968

I love reading old writing for a lot of reasons. The style 40 years ago was much different than it is today, and there are some things in those words that are downright strange. For instance, what on earth does being gray at 36 have to do with having a quiet personality? Also, is it just me or do people spell it grey more often now for all purposes than they did many years ago?

Finally, it’s very rare to speculate about moving a forward to defense in the heart of a Hall of Fame Career. Fedorov is the only recent example I can think of, and had someone like Mark Messier really wanted to hold on for too long that might have been an option.

(pause)

Delvecchio played forever, in fact he was an NHL regular for a full 5 seasons after he took his 1968 summer holiday. He ended with 456 goals, 3 Stanley’s and 3 Lady Byng’s.

Delvecchio was not as respected during his career as was warranted, mostly because he played in the shadow of the great Gordie Howe. Norm Ullman was more skilled and he got lots of headlines, and of course the Red Wings developed the two great goalies of Delvecchio’s generation (Sawchuk and Hall) not named Plante so he was way down the list before turning grey. In this way (and he won’t score 456 goals) Shawn Horcoff would be a modern day comp: a quality player and a leader, and a player the fans perhaps overlook.

Shawn Horcoff is unlikely to play today. It’ll be interesting to see if his value to the team is reflected in the score.

334 Responses to "Oilers at Red Wings, G52/08-09"

« Older Comments
  1. HBomb says:

2. hunter1909 says:

LOL @ Pocklington negotiating with the Yotes to re-locate in Edmonton.

3. MJT says:

lebda had to soak himself for the interview because we all know he didn’t work up a sweat.

4. Sean says:

That’s it, I’m becoming a Kings fan.

5. PunjabiOil says:

The Oilers should seriously consider trading Erik Cole at the deadline and salvage something from the Pitkanen deal.

Good player, moves his feet, draws penalties – but just doesn’t bring enough offense to justify the 4M price tag. He’s got a whopping 22 points in 52 games this year. We can’t be paying 4M or above for the forseeable future for him. Offer him a 3M contract (4-6 years) – if he doesn’t accept it, move him.

And looking at his numbers, he’s topped 60 points just once (2005). He greatly benefited from playing in the SE, and playing with quality linemates (Staal, Whitney – way to pass up on him Kevin Lowe – for all your fetish for Alberta boys, you passed up one of the better ones for a mere 1.5M). Get a 1st round pick (if possible) for him at the deadline, or a decent prospect or two. Use the cap space to bring a legitimate goal scorer (whom the Oilers have craved for a long time). Havlat and Gaborik are at the top of my list.

But knowing Kevin Lowe, he’ll fuck up the situation like he did with Petr Sykora (who is having yet another great season) by not trading him at the deadline (Ladislav Nagy yielded a 1st round pick) and then showing no interest to re-sign him in the off-season. “We got some big things going on right now. We’ll let you know if we want to sign you”

6. Icecastles says:

I was a MacT defender for a long time, but this year has just blown my mind. Three specific points:

1 – Forget the talk about the team quitting on him, he seems to have quite on the team. In November. The guy is so clearly burned out. He may be a good coach again with another team, but he needs a change big time.

2 – He, Lowe and everyone else were, in the balance, happy with these players skill/potential when they were signed. The prices they were signed for are debatable, but everyone thought we had a great team. Okay, some players end up turning in a bad year. But when the whole team does? Can MacT seriously step back and say it’s not his fault? There is only one consistent thing here that has turned the entire team into a collection of vacuum cleaners, and that’s the coaching.

3 – MacT insists (and has insisted for years) that it is not up to the coach to motivate the players. I just don’t understand how he can say that, especially with a young and relatively inexperienced group. The video coach can be about strategy rather than motivation. Perhaps the goalie coach can be about technique more than motivation. Same with the assistant coaches. But if the head coach doesn’t think that this is a core and essential part of his job, that goes a hell of a long way to explaining the blowout losses, the lack of cohesion as a group, and their collective fragility when they are behind.

7. Doogie2K says:

@Icecastles: It also explains why the team had such an easy go of turning itself around after Game 2 in NC. The Stanley Cup is the greatest motivating force in the game; if you can’t pull yourself off the canvas for that you don’t deserve it.

8. Bruce says:

“Are you surprised to be up by this many goals?”

Nice question, Gino.

Lebda: “No, actually, we’ve owned the Oilers for years. With a little luck we could be in double digits already.”

I mean, what the fuck is the guy going to say?

9. hunter1909 says:

Great post Icecastles.

10. oilerdago says:

I’ve said it before and will continue to say it. MacT will not get fired but will resign at season’s end.

If Tambellini/Lowe won’t can him for losing with everyone healthy to Chicago and Buffalo the way they did, they won’t do it here either.

11. PunjabiOil says:

Christ, I’ll be shocked if Detroit doesn’t hit 10 at this rate.

No. The Detroit Red Wings display a higher level of class than the Women’s National hockey team.

12. Doogie2K says:

Well, at least the Oilers haven’t been scored on during the intermission.

Yet.

13. Traktor says:

“Traktor: Cole might not sign here, but given the season he’s had, wherever he signs, he’s not getting a raise.”

Sure he will. I’d put money on it.

14. speeds says:

Like everyone elsee, I expected a big loss. Not this bad, perhaps.

Roloson out for the 2nd to keep Deslauriers fresh for tomorrow’s game vs. MIN?

Or Deslauriers in, and Roli start tomorrow?

15. kris says:

What kind of system are we playing?

There’s no forcheck?

And we’re not trapping or counter attacking.

This team has lots of good, proven players. But they’re playing like they just met each other. Then, once thy’re down a few, they give up.

Hate to say it, but fair or not, that’s on the coach.

16. Phil says:

You know, even during the long losing streak to end ’07, the team never allowed more than 5 goals (post trade deadline). They had a number of 4 goal loses during the year, and only one 5 goal loss (5-0 to Minny during the streak).

I don’t think it’s unreasonable to expect Detroit will get a few more in this one.

That’ll make 3 world class ass kickings that they’ve been handed this year. There are problems here that can’t be cured with new coaching staff.

17. Doogie2K says:

Why should the Wings let up? This is, allegedly, a National Hockey League team, they should be able to keep any club in the League from hanging ten on them. If they can’t do that, it’s their own damned fault. This isn’t bantam.

18. PunjabiOil says:

19. Chris says:

I hope the trainers passed around some lube during the intermission.

20. Doogie2K says:

JDD out for the second.

Go get ‘em, Tiger.

21. Dennis says:

I’m inclined to agree with HB that at least in the Buf game they couldn’t get a save to save their fucking lives. And I’m not giving it to Roli because he’s seeing the highest quality opps but he’s not saving anything either.

I’m just sacred that today has as much to do with 71 being out as it does 10 though the combination of both is most certainly damning.

I had the chances at 11-3 Det; 7-3 at EV and 4-0 ST. Two of the oilers chances were missed shots from 24 and 51.

On Pisani’s contract: I find it hard to get down on the guy because I was Fernie when Fernie wasn’t cool but it’s a hard sell for a guy who scores 15 goals to cover that kind of money. Basically the guy’s gotta be the Pahlsson of wingers: play tough opp and be a plus and win draws and kill penalties. And that isn’t gonna happen in this case when he’s a winger and he doesn’t play with 10-83.

On the first period: 78 did a terrible job covering after the 5 pinch on the 2nd goal and 85 lost his shit on the first PP goal. And then peckham looked like a rookie as did 51 on the Cleary tip.

And it hurts even more when we could’ve had him for a little over a mill at a time when that would’ve been a steal

22. Bruce says:

The next two periods will be like watching ice dry. Unfortunately I’m stuck here watching it, am scoring this of all games for Staples’ gradings project.

Right now I’ve got MacTavish at -1. Horrible decision on the starting goalie, horrible decision to dick around with Smid, entire team not ready to play, not even able to respond to the timeout.

I could see sitting in my couch yesterday that this game was likely unwinnable … hell the whole team knows it. Starting your ancient goalie three times in three and a half days is suicidal goalie management, from the perspective of both him and his back-up who has to be wondering if the coach’s confidence in him is less than zero. An indefensible decision, and yet another sign that coaching and management are not in the same book let alone the same page.

23. oilerdago says:

//I take great pride in the quality of my work, but if I have a long term contract with my employer, I’m not resigning and giving up ~1M in salary.//

Punjabi, I think MacT has too much pride to continue to coach this team under these circumstances – and when they miss the playoffs (and they will miss the playoffs) he’ll be given the choice to quit or be fired.

24. PunjabiOil says:

If he’s given the option to get fired, why would he not take that (and take the guaranteed salary) as opposed to resigning?

25. MJT says:

Haha Doogie you crack me up. Lets get you out there so Principe can hit the showers.

26. Bruce says:

it’s a hard sell for a guy who scores 15 goals to cover that kind of money.

Dennis: How about for a 15-goal scorer like Sean Avery?

27. oilerdago says:

Off to my son’s hockey game. Am sure they’ll do better than the Oiler’s.

28. Doogie2K says:

Or they can can him, and claim that the parting was mutual and that they wish him the best in etc. etc.

He gets his money, he gets to keep face in public, and they get to find a new coaching staff. Win-win all around.

Minor silver lining: The Flames are down 1-0 in the second.

29. PunjabiOil says:

I’m not too down on the contract – but what is upsetting is Pisani’s camp was asking for 1.1M back in January of 2006 and Lowe balked and told him “We’ll wait and see how it plays out.”

How much less could they have got for him, even if the playoff run doesn’t happen?

But…in his defence…Kevin Lowe didn’t know the salary cap was going up!!!!!

30. Bruce says:

Louie: What are you talking about? It’s 5-0

31. Icecastles says:

Do you think the Sportsnet guys are aware that Dustin Penner’s first name isn’t actually “Big”?

32. Doogie2K says:

I doubt I’d be much better; I love me a good pun. For example, I called my Rock Band, um, rock band the “Edmonton Eulers.”

+1 to the first one to get the joke without using Wikipedia.

33. PunjabiOil says:

Minor silver lining: The Flames are down 1-0 in the second.

Depends if you want the Oilers to qualify for the playoffs or have a fire sale at the deadline.

34. HBomb says:

D2K: Euler the mathematician? That joke came up in my first year Linear Algebra class….

35. Bruce says:

Doogie: Ain’t no fooling us numbers guys with that one.

36. Lord Bob says:

Run a first line of 89 – 13 – 83, MacTavish.

Why?

’cause it’d be fun.

37. Bruce says:

Critical for the Oilers to shut them down here.”

Sportsnet crew speaks their first critical word.

38. MJT says:

damn I didn’t get a Euler joke before third year economics. But to be fair I didn’t bother attending first year algebra.

39. Doogie2K says:

I was less concerned about the playoff implications and more concerned about the “Fuck Calgary” implications, but that’s a valid point. If we still have playoff aspirations, we really should be cheering for the Flames, as distasteful as that is. I’m not too sold on this whole “playoff” thing at this point, but we’ll see how games not involving the Red Wings and no 10-71-34 go.

40. Doogie2K says:

I should have expected everyone in the room to get the Euler joke. The other forum I used it on just gave me a bunch of blank looks, though.

41. Dennis says:

Bruce: Avery would cost around 1.8m mil on re-entry, no?

42. Phil says:

Interesting what Debrusk was saying about Babcock finding ways to motivate his team.

43. PunjabiOil says:

This has to be one of the most unenjoyable years of Oilers hockey, aside from 2006.

44. Icecastles says:

Maybe if the Oil shoots on their own net they can get a goal…

45. Doogie2K says:

Funny enough, he’s got a sports psychology degree.

46. Bruce says:

Dennis: I wouldn’t want Sean Avery for free. Cuz he comes with lots of other costs, in the class, character and cancer depts.

47. Icecastles says:

Phil: I was just about to comment on that. Oh, the irony!

But really, its not the coach's job to motivate. Apparently. I don't think it's up to the captain either. In fact, it's really best if no-one on the team actually ever talks to each other. You can't have bad blood if you don't know them! Next year, each player gets their own dressing room. It works for Christian Bale and Tom Cruise. >:)

48. Bruce says:

I got 5-0 for the final score.

49. MJT says:

I would like to see an intellectual debate between Debrusk and Rob Brown.

50. Dennis says:

Bruce: Point taken, but, he wouldn’t have to cover a 2.5 mill bet because we’d only be paying him around 1.85;)

51. PunjabiOil says:

I’d trade, if they were willing, Penner for Avery straight up.

52. kris says:

Well Punjabioil, the last 15 years haven’t had many bright spots.

53. Dennis says:

It hasn’t been said enough but Louie Debrusk is a guy who steps in shit but is just happy that someone didn’t piss in his shoe as well.

He belongs on CHED.

54. Matt N says:

Maybe I was drinking the company Kool Aid, but I was thinking that this team was good enough to challenge for the division title and finish somewhere between 3rd and 6th in the west. Get into the playoffs and hey, who knows? Anything can happen?

After watching yet another “debacle of monumental proportions” I am no longer of the belief that this team will either make the playoffs or even dream about competing with the Detroit’s and San Jose’s of the league.

Trade Cole, Moreau, Staios, Roloson and anyone else that can’t help this team 2 years from now for whatever you can get and dive for the Tavares cup.

FU Lowe. FU Mac-T. FU to any media lap dog that doesn’t roast this bullshit franchise.

55. Icecastles says:

The problem is that MacT just isn’t creative enough with the line combinations. They need to try Rolie on wing between Staios and… lets say… my cat.

Someone should say something nice about Deslauriers. Not me, but someone.

57. Doogie2K says:

They need to try Rolie on wing between Staios and… lets say… my cat.

Can your cat win faceoffs?

58. Icecastles says:

So I guess Deslauriers is technically getting a shutout right now…

(about my earlier post, yeah I know you can’t play ‘wing’ between two other players. I was going for, uh, creative line combinations)

59. MJT says:

Icecastles: I’ll bet MacIntyre can take faceoffs in the defensive zone. And rather than have Roli on the top line I think he should be used primarily in a PR role.

60. Icecastles says:

Doogie2k: On this team, that would be irrelevant.

61. Bruce says:

Dennis: The scary thing is that Avery’s cap hit is actually $3.9 MM. Over four years. This for a guy who’s never scored 20 goals and who has disrupted every team he’s ever been part of.

I’m shocked that somebody with your acumen is making a case for this punk.

62. Derek says:

LT: He showed that he’s got some jam with that hit behind the net on Cleary.

63. Bruce says:

Someone should say something nice about Deslauriers. Not me, but someone.

Deslauriers should have got the start. Hey wait a minute, I said that yesterday. And this morning. No point in being redundant.

64. MJT says:

oh a goal horn. I had forgotten there was a game on. Roloson would have had that one, terrible pull by MacT ;)

65. Doogie2K says:

So I guess Deslauriers is technically getting a shutout right now…

YOU JINXED IT YOU ASSHOLE!

;)

66. relic says:

how good is kronwall? has detroit managed to replace lidstrom, from within no less, just as he is starting to fade? …

67. Traktor says:

MacTavish after the game:

“The first 5 minutes was our undoing.”

“We’re going to just forget about today. The only thing that matters is how we respond against Minnesota.”

“It’s a good lesson to our younger players that you have to be ready when the puck drops.”

“The thought JDD played fine.”

Sound about right?

68. Dennis says:

Bruce: They’d split the cost on re-entry waivers, no? I’m not talking about giving him the contract that Dal did, I’m talking about picking him up at half the freight.

And, dude, don’t mind me, I’m overrated:) But I do think that he could help us.

Honestly, I do.

I’m not sure what went wrong between NYR and Dal but one team could control him and get something out of him and the other couldn’t. Plus, the kid’s gotta realize this is his last chance.

69. Baroque says:

@ relic -

Kronwall has actually been kind of average at best this year, for the most part, but last year in the playoffs he was absolutely fantastic – probably their best defenseman, even including Lidstrom. Once he gets his game back, he will be much better.

The best part is he seems to have largely avoided all the odd injuries that plagued him his first few years in the league.

70. Bruce says:

Dennis: Yeah, I understand the re-entry business, but it’s still $2 MM a year for 3 more years for the most unstable guy out there. Not just Dallas, but Detroit and L.A. couldn’t wait to see his back either. And I’d love to hear what the Rangers really think. This guy gets my vote as the worst team-mate in the league.

OTOH, with the Rexall connection maybe the club could boost his Lithium intake …

Sorry. Not a fan.

71. Dennis says:

Scoring chance update:

7-22 OV 6-13 EV 1-0 PP 0-9 SH

83 is 3/7 after 40 with one chance on the PP.

He’s going through the toughest run I can remember from him so hopefully be busts out tomorow.

Gene spoke with 10 and he’s decidedly day-to-day so that’s good news.

72. Phil says:

Cue the comeback!

73. Derek says:

The lumberjack stuffs one home.

74. Bruce says:

Dennis: That’s +7/-23 for Hemsky in the last 8 periods.

He shoots, he ZOOOOOOORGs!!!

75. relic says:

thanks for that one conks ;)

76. Icecastles says:

Stortini scores!
    He’ll be a healthy scratch tomorrow.
    Then they’ll re-sign him for 5 years at $6m a year.

77. Doogie2K says:

Huh. Apparently you can’t stop Zach Stortini, you can only hope to contain him.

78. Doogie2K says:

Penner!

Don’t stop now, boys, four more for the tie.

79. Mustafa Hirji says:

Um. Why is Osgood playing now?

80. Phil says:

Two of the three Bag Skate Brothers with goals. Go Brodz!

81. Bruce says:

Pouliot! Good call, Phil. ;)

Next up: Brodziak.

82. Doogie2K says:

Um. Why is Osgood playing now?

Babcock having mercy on us?

I dunno, maybe Conklin pulled something.

83. Dennis says:

I call 4th line vs 4th line The Gentleman’s Agreement which alludes to each coach matching those units to give the big guys a break and not trying to embarrass either line.

46 had a good year last year but he’s having a tough one so far this year. Though he’s now up to 8/12 in terms of real plus minus.

The two goals were scored with first 78-89-46 and then 27-51-46 on the ice but previous to that we saw what should be our 4th line once 34 gets back:

78-51-46.

That should be one of the best 4th lines in the league, no? Not that it will swing the tide but it won’t be a concern either.

84. Icecastles says:

If the Oilers win this, I’m nominating MacT for the Jack Adams award. Oh wait. I mean the Jack Daniels award.

85. Dennis says:

Not that I thought we’d win but 78′s got a goal and an assist and then MacT rolls the lines and doesn’t put him out there.

Seriously, fuck right off.

Well Sam doesn’t care how close the score is, he’s making that pass.

87. Doogie2K says:

The Oilers have apparently spooked some Wings fans. From A2Y:

They score again and watching the remainder of this game is going to feel like sitting on a unicycle with a noose around your neck.

Three more!

88. Lord Bob says:

MacTavish is getting exactly the sort of team he deserves.

89. Lord Bob says:

By the way: I turned the game off when we went down 6-0. There’s no force on earth strong enough to make me turn it back on again.

90. Bruce says:

Even though it’s 8-3 and guys like Hemsky and Cole have mailed it in long since, it’s nice to see Stortini dive to block a shot and dive again to sweep the puck out of the zone. Playing with pride looks good no matter the score.

91. Jonathan Willis says:

Given that this is the third blowout of the season, at one point does the coach start wearing any of this?

This team isn’t one that should be consistently losing games 9-2, 10-2, 8-3, whatever.

Some of it simply has to be an ass-backwards game plan.

92. Jonathan Willis says:

Bruce, what made you think Cole was mailing it in?

93. Jonathan Willis says:

BTW, the Red Wings commentators seem very upset at that ruffian, Liam Reddox.

I’d think an NHL team this intelligently run would have a better broadcast crew, but apparently not.

Well it’s an L but way more interesting than I thought it would be today. Oilers POG: Stortini. No question. Not one damn one.

95. Jonathan Willis says:

Red Wings commentator:

“They jumped out to an early lead, but after a while human nature makes you fell like you’re pulling the legs off a spider and they eased up.”

96. goldenchild says:

Regardless of what anyone has thought of the job the coach has done up to this point and I am in the group that thinks he has a very good run here and done some quality work, this team today needs change. 3 emabarassing losses within a month or so, line ups that make no sense, a doghouse that is perpetually habitated, all in all this season have been very un macT like, I mean its enough already.

97. Bruce says:

Bruce, what made you think Cole was mailing it in?

The very un-Cole-like totals of 0 shots and 0 hits thru 40. He was just terrible with the puck all day. But he showed enough effort in the third to make me withdraw that remark.

Hemsky? Not so much.

98. PDO says:

Bruce:

I missed a lot of the game… but Cole had a hit in the first five minutes behind the net. Chalk that up to the inaccuracy of RTTS stats.

99. Dennis says:

Hot off the presses:

If you don’t agree with my numbers, things will go very badly for you!!!!!

100. Bruce says:

Dennis/LT: Stortini finished the game -1 (as in +2/-3). Some of it can be filed under “shit happens”, e.g. he was on the ice for two seconds when Samuelsson scored, thanks to Gagner’s brilliant cross-ice pass during an Oiler line change … that’s one of those ones where you should just give the one guy -5 and give the rest a full pardon. But oh well, like all stats that one’s inexact.

The main thing that stood out today was that he kept busting his ass the whole game. Not that that stands out for him, it just made him stand out against some of his mates.

Unfortunately, any game where Zack Stortini is our best player can pretty much be filed under the (ahem) L column. For a very recent example, see the Chicago game.

101. PDO says:

Hemsky will breakout when 10 is inserted back into the lineup. :)

102. Dennis says:

The Oilers would probably replace macT with a guy in-house considering how insular they are and the fact that it’s late in the season BUT if they’d go outside, I’d advocate a change.

I can think of the reason we got killed vs Chi – awful PK – the reason why we got killed vs Buf – terrible netminding – and now today we’re missing our best D and our best all-around forward.

Still, you’ve got to wonder if the grass is greener on the other side. 89 was entrusted with the soft and he’s not driving it, we don’t have a secondary tough min pivot and the PK unit was left lacking.

All those excuses made, something is seriously wrong when you’re getting beaten down like this. Today you saw a terrible PK and at EV guys were tipping pucks and driving the net at will.

LT calls them coach killers and in the lyrics of Blues Traveler, there is something amiss.

103. PDO says:

Carlyle could be in trouble if Anaheim misses the playoffs…

I’m alright with cutting ties if it means a guy like that is coming in. If we’re just bringing up Bucky, why bother? If we’re taking a shot on someone with no history… no thanks. I’d want someone with a proven stack record…

104. Gord says:

Before the season, this site’s official “reasonable expectation” for Grebeshkov this season was 2 goals & 22 assists. A total of 24 points.

I said a reasonable expectation was 5 goals & 30 assists (total of 35 points) along with a +15… That was based upon his end of year improvement plus a strong World Cup. I was almost laughed off the board…

As of right now, Grebeshkov has 4 goals & 20 assists for 24 points in 49 games (missed a few due to concussion). And sits at +7…

Considering that was the only reasonable expectation I disagreed with, maybe I will be taken more serious if I disagree in the future… :-)

105. Bruce says:

MacT: “We knew they would come out hard. We were prepared for it.

Say what?

106. PDO says:

Gord, but you don’t have the sass and sarcasm to be remembered… ;)

107. Phil says:

@Bruce – thanks for saving me from typing it.

C’mon MacT. Time to walk away.

tina weymouth and the strange fellow at the mic sum up MacT after this game pretty well:

109. Dennis says:

Brian: that’s what I’m saying. Not much point of taking macT out and bringing in Buchy and if Vish Throttler comes down from upon high to rally the troops, I dare say I’ll be beaten with a heavy club;)

LT: I imagine david byrne didn’t get laid until he was 25; but after that he could get all the nerdy chick poon any man could want.

110. Gord says:

PDO,

I have also predicted that Peckham would improve to the point that injuries (or a trade) would have him playing full-time with the Oilers before the trade deadline…

After watching today’s game, I might be wrong on that one… ;-)

111. Jonathan Willis says:

Fun stat: Sam Gagner led the forwards in ice-time, with 20:21.

112. Dennis says:

Gord: two of this games have been at Pit and Det so, yeah, that’s a tough start. You should probably start off dating the girl next door before you take on the cheerleader.

All that being said, and as I said today, the numbers in the A support him but he’s coming up and his partner’s gonna be 5 or 25 and neither of them are getting fat on the soft min so neither of them are the ideal mentor.

113. Dennis says:

89′s more bullet proof than Ned Flanders toting around that piece of the true cross.

There’s always next year.

And come next year there’ll always be the year after that one.

Dennis: Yeah, agreed. By 1980 he was probably the best new wave songwriter in North America (I thought Tom Verlaine would be better, an early sign of me being on the wrong side of arguments) and must have had a terrific run.

As for MacT resigning/getting fired, faggataboutit.

115. Bruce says:

LT: Now you’re talkin’. Great stuff.

Speaking of “stop making sense”, the only guy more out to lunch than MacT’s “we were ready for it” was Gino suggesting that Roli’s penalty was an accident. Maybe getting caught was an accident, but nutting Cleary was definitely not. After taking such an idiotic penalty in the game’s first minute, he needed to come up with a save on the PP, but couldn’t. Never did stop anything of note. Guess maybe he wasn’t ready for it.

116. Doogie2K says:

I guess he was assuming it’d be easier to kill because it was an aggressive penalty.

117. Jonathan Willis says:

Still in denial about the Pitkanen trade, eh Dennis?

118. rickibear says:

C’mon MacT. Time to walk away.

He was smart enough to recognize hemsky is slumping and move Storitini up to the first line with penner and Brodziak. It paid off too.

That one was for you Bruce.

119. Dennis says:

LT: You are probably right and I hate even turning on the guy little because I love listening to the guy and he seems to think in lock-step with a lot of the fellows who post here.

But I see all these no-shows and, fuck it, I’m human too.

Translation: why aren’t I allowed to enjoy the playoffs?;)

BTW, did Smid play guitar or bass in Television;)?

120. PunjabiOil says:

“I thought we competed hard”

“We were ready, we knew Detroit was going to come out hard”

“If Lidstrom doesn’t score late in the 2nd we’re right back in it”

Accountable media, I tell you. And according to Gene Principe, Roloson’s slash to Cleary’s berries was an ”accident”

121. Temujin says:

When the Canucks are destroyed by the Hawks tonight, I shall return and we call all cry in our beers.

Together.

122. Asiaoil says:

It’s been obvious for more than a while now…..MacT has some coaching chops but he’s quit on this team. The old school brain dead motivational techniques, playing obvious favorites, not really giving a crap about matchups or lineups that make sense……it’s all there. He’s toast and leaving him around makes no sense at all – Lowe should take over and coach this mess until the end of the season – he owns it.

Love MacT’s line on Poo pre-game about not finding his role. He’s a CENTER a-hole and quite a decent one if you ever figure out to play him there. Don’t know why anyone bothers to listen to the drivel that seeps out of MacTs mouth these days – it’s just embarrassing for a guy who’s a lot better than this.

123. Doogie2K says:

After three times of having our balls kicked through our teeth, I’m thinking it’s time to call it on this group.

Wake me up when September ends.

124. Traktor says:

Moreau led all forwards in TOI with 19:40

Hemsky played 16:18

Strudwick played 16:40

125. Oilmaniac says:

… I read the first fifty or so… but fuck… this team isnt worth the effort of going through any more of this horcoff squabble (cut down nicely by jw)… or to talk about macT.. or where the F pouliot lines up.. (except only maybe to see how the fanbase emplodes through the course of the first, and on.. but even that is getting to be old hat)…

Especially when Schitzo ‘Nailed it!’ on the first post
    Or more likely, this will be an epic blowout that no single player would prevent.
    (which many people must have said by now…) anyways, my two bits, not that anyone cares,.. just releasing my own ‘after the fact’ frustration.. bring on the prospect threads…

126. bookie says:

Ok, I need to figure out how to change my name!

WTF- after the game MacT sounded like a House league coach who’s minimite team accidentally signed up for a A division tournament “Well, the boys lost 36-1, but you cant really expect us to compete, you do know that we were playing Detroit right? Cmon, we can’t beat them”.

Again, as a MacT supporter, I am off the wagon and think its time. He doesnt believe that he can win with this team. Right or wrong, when that is the case the coach is fired, when (if) that doesnt work, the GM is fired.

127. Temujin says:

Trade Hemsky, he’s horrible :-)

Denis Grebeshkov +1 tonight
    Tom Gilbert +1 tonight

If the Oilers management holds true to form one of these two won’t be on Oiler next year and Staios will be.

129. Henry says:

Apologies if this was pointed out earlier, but Grebeshkov was +1 tonight with six EV goals against playing with Gilbert. He was even against Buffalo in a 9-2 pasting playing with Vish.

As strange as MacT has coached the team the past couple years, he has coached this guy into a heck of a player. Trading him for a center that can take face offs could really blow up long term.

That said, I wonder what the record would be if Garon was here having played 30-35 games as the #1.

130. Dennis says:

Those numbers were earned by Grebert as well; I Had them both coming up plus in the scoring chances.

But the other 5 D struggled and that’s not really a surprise.

I think macT went easy on the boys because of the guys he was missing; he knows they don’t have the depth to counter that.

Also, the PK didn’t help and that plus a dumb penalty by Roli and his inability to stop anything really put is in an early hole.

I would give most of the credit to Chuckles Huddy, not the head coach.

132. HBomb says:

Update: It`s 1:30am Edmonton time, and I am H-Bombed right now.

IF I am bitchy during the game day thread tomorrow, you`ll understand why.

133. Jonathan Willis says:

Traktor: I pointed it out above, but Gagner actually led the forwards in icetime with just over 20 minutes.

« Older Comments