Oilers at Stars, G58, 08-09

The Edmonton Oilers are irritating. They’re like that scene in Vertigo where James Stewart is hanging on for dear life, except that the scene never fades.

The Oilers seem to spend every season on the ledge, hanging on by a fingernail with certain death seconds away.

Every. damn. year.

I don’t like Dallas. The Stars are all arrogant and superior-like, and they have funny haircuts. And webbed feet.

In the language of men, they’re “dinks.”

(clap clap).

320 Responses to "Oilers at Stars, G58, 08-09"

« Older Comments
  1. Keegan says:

Calgary incapable of ending a game before regulation again…. Yeesh.

2. Traktor says:

Craig MacTavish = self-inflicted wound.

He’s always been the x-factor.

Bruce adds a lot to the conversation.

Ott looks like a Fargo.

4. Dennis says:

2nd period chances: 7-6; 6-3 EV; 1-3 ST; ST chance came shorthanded.

After 40: 13-15; 12-10 EV; 1-5 ST

It’s always a small victory when you’re the first to remember something but does anyone remember when MacT sat our marchant for the rest of the game after Old 26 flamingoed on a shot from the point? This was back in the days when Gator and Ulanov were blocking all kinds of shots and Marchant was heart and fucking soul

Still, macT sat him down.

Flash forward to tonight and it isn’t just one game where Moreau takes a dumb penalty. The guy’s constantly making bad decisions with his stick and with the over-estimation of his playmaking skills.

He has to be called out or MacT’s a paper tiger.

Finally, you’ve got to find 85 some more shifts and 22 as well. Now I imagine it would be hard to find a good matchup given Tippet should go with nine forwards in the last frame but both guys have done the little things right.

5. Bruce says:

Moreau now has 8 minor penalties since Monday.

Of this week.

6. Matt N says:

Brophy is kind of a tool.

“If Rolie doesn’t start tonite then the stars have 10 goals”.

He let in 2 soft ones. How is that “a treat to watch”

7. Derek says:

Off topic – Apparently theres some scandal in Montreal? I haven’t been able to find anything online as of yet but posters from Hockeysfuture are saying the local media is all over it, and that a large announcement will be made tommorrow morning.

Anyone else heard any of this?

Reddox (Jacques, Smid)

That’s a tally I’ll remember for a long time.

9. Bruce says:

Roli’s made a few good stops, but when you’re down by one those two softies look like a mountain. The Stars have 20 shots and “shoulkd have 10″? This guy has a pretty low opinion of NHL goaltending generally.

I prefer to have high expectations of goalies and count on them to be positive difference makers.

10. Lord Bob says:

You cannot stop Toby Petersen, you can only hope to contain him.

11. Bruce says:

LT: I can defend myself against the likes of Hunter. :) Not to worry, I think he had a twinkle in his eye when he wrote that one.

Thanks, though. ;)

12. Lord Bob says:

Sheldon Souray with a gem of a hidden play, getting caught in a footrace against Mike Modano, inevitably losing, and making a nice stickcheck to knock the puck back and prevent a massive Dallas rush.

13. Bruce says:

LT: I guess I can stop listing JFJ under the goalies now. Well, he’s still “under” some of them, but at least he’s finally on the fucking board.

And it only took 4 seasons.

Ahh, there I go being mean and negative again. I’m actually really happy for him, and will be even happier if that point contributes to a win.

Congratulations, Jean-Francois. The future is now.

14. mc79hockey says:

This sounds like a dynamite story coming out of Montreal. Supposedly Demers was near tears talking about it but nobody will say what it is. Apparently it involves young players and it’s bad.

There’s no scandal in Montreal. If it wasn’t on Hockeybuzz, it never happened.

16. RiversQ says:

Funny that JFJ’s first point comes on a play where I’m pretty sure he never touched the puck.

17. Bruce says:

A goal from the first line, a goal from the fourth, and fuck all from the second and third. Where have we seen this movie before?

18. danny says:

Wow the dream season for the habs has really hit the shit turbines.

A poster on HF quoted press as saying players will be arrested?

WTF?

19. Lord Bob says:

The complete list of reasons for Sheldon Souray to ever pass the puck to Steve Staios in the offensive zone:

Okay, I can’t think of any.

20. Bruce says:

Lord Bob: Good one. :)

Upstairs, Steve Tambellini gets a new bingo card.

22. Lord Bob says:

I think we need Stan Weir in our next game, guys.

23. RiversQ says:

Nice backcheck Cogliano. That kid is clueless in his own end.

24. danny says:

I’ve sit through listening to daryl reaugh act like a smug homer jerk for this crap. Everyone in the west and their brother has won, and we are gonna lose to fkn DAL stars.

MTL better have a huge flippin scandal.

25. Coach pb9617 says:

Is it possible to fire the coach and the captain in one shot?

Someone call Oswald.

27. Bruce says:

Smid got sucked out of position while forcing the original pass there, but it’s the centre’s job to read and come back. If you can’t make that play you should be on the wing.

28. Lord Bob says:

So, I’m getting up early tomorrow, heading up the peninsula, buying a goat, and sacrificing it on an altar to the hockey gods while making a prayer that Craig MacTavish and Ethan Moreau are both looking for jobs tomorrow.

Anybody else in? The more goats the merrier.

29. danny says:

I think bettman probably set up an investigation into the all-star balloting. Mike Komisarek to be indicted on ballot stuffing charges.

30. Bruce says:

Jere Lehtinen flashing his Selke Trophy form there. That was a real dangerous pass from Penner to Gilbert that he broke up.

31. Coach pb9617 says:

Someone call Oswald.

That’s exquisite.

32. Keegan says:

Nice icing by Staios there….

33. Lord Bob says:

God, Ott is a snot.

34. Ribs says:

Moreau finally gets to Ultimate Fight someone and he loses. all those months of trianing down the tubes.

Nice hit by Roloson.

36. Bruce says:

Fuck me, Moreau throws punches against an opponeent who never drops his gloves and still loses the fight?

Fucking cheap shot by Ott … watch Dallas walk away with the PP.

37. Councilman Les Winan says:

So does JFJ hate Ray Sawada?

38. namflashback says:

somebody put an elbow through Turco for that shit from ott

39. danny says:

Now they decide to show some emotion? Nice.

Only redeeming thing of this entire night is the DAL dj playing the Mike Tysons Punchout theme midi during the scrum.

40. Henry says:

darryl reaugh’s a dink. Bitter ex-oiler.

Ribiero’s a dink.

Nice hit Roli.

41. HBomb says:

Currently, I am fully in favor of the Crazy Train taking a 200 foot run at Marty Turco.

I’d take Steve Ott on my team any day, but right about now….to quote Robert DeNiro in the Untouchables:

“I want him DEAD. I want his family DEAD. I want his house burnt down. Then I want to piss on the ashes.”

Columbus a winner. Nice club.

43. Lord Bob says:

Columbus a winner. Nice club.

Sneak preview of the next Lowetide post:

“This is David Vyborny…”

44. B.C.B. says:

These Dallas commentators just said that forwards take aggressive physical penalties, while defenseman take more hocking and tripping penalties. I have over a half season of research on the Oilers penalties saying different. I am done, have a good night this is crap.

45. Lord Bob says:

Wait. Ethan Moreau gets in a fight. He, in fact, loses the fight. Takes a five minute major. The guy he fights doesn’t get a penalty?

I hate Chopper, but what the everloving fuck?

46. mc79hockey says:

So that’s seven minutes of SH because of Ethan tonight? Oh captain, my captain.

47. Bruce says:

Cole cutting in on goal there a minute ago didn’t exactly invoke memories of Ovechkin. Now that he’s done for the night, he’s up to 1-0-1 in his last 11 games — the flukey bounce off the end boards in San Jose. JFJ has as many points in that span, and he missed 10 of those games.

Cole does lots of useful things, but he ain’t worth anything close to $4 MM.

48. Dennis says:

4 on 4 becomes 4 on 3. MacT should pull the goalie and go 5 on 3.

What does he have to lose?

49. Bank Shot says:

Yea, I think Columbus is likely to make the playoffs this year.

The final four spots probably come down to Dallas, Vancouver, Minnesota, and Columbus.

50. HBomb says:

Ethan Moreau: worst Oiler captain not named Corson.

51. Councilman Les Winan says:

Tough “break” for the Oilers there? After “The Captain”(tm) gets frustrated because he can’t get to Ott and just starts a one-man fight with some other random dude?

Give your head a shake, Louis DeBrusk.

52. Bank Shot says:

LA is a darkhorse.

Looks like they might have turned the corner. 8 wins in their last 12, and they outplayed both Calgary and Edmonton in their losses to the Western clubs.

53. Lord Bob says:

Pulling the goalie to give the Oilers a 5-on-3? Severe strategic blunder by MacTavish. The Oilers on a 5-on-3 are a shorthanded goal waiting to happen.

54. Dennis says:

On this Mtl thing, just the other day someone leaked that kovalev said a big problem with the ’09 Cuntreal club is that the young guys aren’t focused on the ice.

Flash forward to mere hours later…

55. mc79hockey says:

Ah, the 5 on 3. Wonderful.

Staples commented at my site about Gilbert just killing the play. He can’t stand still when the guy is cheating on Souray like that. Walk in.

56. Lord Bob says:

Again. Not Moreau’s fault on this last one. And he sucks, but that was just incoherent refereeing. Literally incoherent. If the referee had a stroke and penalties were awarded to players he twitched towards, it would have been as just.

57. Bruce says:

Here’s the thing … Ott clobbers Gilbert, Roli takes on Ott, Smid takes on Ott, and then Moreau has to come in and be yet a third Oiler to take on Ott … AND he loses his composure, drops his gloves, and takes a 5 minute penalty with 5:07 to go.

This guy is fucking killing us … he’s fucking killing us.

I’d even take a bag of those cheap Slovakian pucks.

58. HBomb says:

Three straight games, three 5-on-3′s, and the Oilers do SFA with all three of them.

It’s not going to make it difficult on any opponent if all five guys are standing in one spot, not moving at all.

59. Lord Bob says:

If somebody running for legislative office ran on a platform of getting MacTavish fired, I would vote for them even if their other policies included kicking me square in the junk.

I don’t know what the glee/gaspipe ratio is when EDM plays in Dallas but it’s bad enough for me to welcome the gaspipe.

61. Lord Bob says:

Yeah, LT, I don’t have an oven in my apartment but I’m trying to stick my head in the microwave and see if that works.

62. Cloned says:

I think Moreau is the first Oiler player I have actually hated.

He’s an absolute disgrace to the C and to the uniform right now.

Selfish, undisciplined, ridiculous caricature of a player.

63. HBomb says:

I’m trying to find the bottle labelled “Hemlock” in my liquor cabinet.

No luck.

64. Councilman Les Winan says:

LB, I have to disagree with you. I saw Moreau come flying in there, and when he couldn’t get to Ott, he grabbed Grossman and got 5 or 6 punches in before Grossman realized what was happening. Then Grossman wrestles Moreau to the ice without throwing a punch or taking his gloves off.

5 for fighting for Moreau and 2 for roughing to Grossman sounds about right to me.

Now, it happened fast, so I might have missed something there, but that’s how I saw it. Not smart by Moreau.

It does suck to come out of that exchange shorthanded when Ott does something like that, though.

65. Bruce says:

Maybe tonight is finally the night where Ethan points the finger at the PK unit, since he hasn’t actually been on it, what with sitting in the box all damn night.

All damn road trip actually. 12 penalties for 38 minutes over the 4 games, including at least 11 minutes of team = shorthanded time.

Please explain to me all the good things he brings to this team to make up for that. All those intangibles that are so, I dunno, intangible. Whereas playing 4 against 5 is pretty goddam tangible.

66. RiversQ says:

LT: I think you should rename the site that. Glee/gaspipe.blogspot.com. It better fits the rollercoaster ride atmosphere.

RQ: Nah.

68. mc79hockey says:

This Habs thing sounds great. Apparently there are cops waiting for the plane. If that’s how its going down, I’d be surprised – one would expect the place to be crawling with media. I’d think that the thing to do would be to tell the Habs that they want to speak with them and arrange it.

Montreal does some weird stuff though, MC. I do agree that if this was in Toronto they’d so something else–maybe have the culprits drive to Harold Ballard’s gravesite.

70. Coach pb9617 says:

RQ: Nah.

Good answer.

PJO needs to talk about the emotions of watching a team that makes you angry when the second or third line is on the ice.

Or watching a team where you know that the only guys capable of doing damage are the 1st and the 4th lines.

Is there any question that if you had to pick a player for the PB between JFJ and Moreau, it’s Moreau? And he’s the captain? He’s destroying a line and killing the team.

Pisani can’t get back fast enough, but that only means that Pisani will have to haul Moreau around the ice and cover doubly in the defensive zone for Cogliano.

71. mc79hockey says:

I know I’m the only one who cares but I can’t possibly imagine what sort of story would deserve as much hype as this MTL story is getting.

Although apparently Jason Arnott and the illegitimate kid got a lot of play and that seems to be pretty de rigeur these days.

72. HBomb says:

It’s a train-wreck we can see coming from a mile away, because we know MacT will refuse to demote Moroneau to the 4th line, despite the fact he’s total shit right now.

MC: Back in the old days of Hollywood, the saying was “never get caught with a dead girl or a live boy.”

I suspect it would have to be something more than a spliff and less than accidental pool drowning.

74. Lord Bob says:

My guess: Carey Price was caught with a bong in a photograph.

75. knighttown says:

Nice fucking game plan tonight as usual. The arrogant bastards look at Dallas strength, physical play, and decide they’ll play that way too. Physical play =begets chaos which begets goals and once Dallas gets a lead past the half way point they go into shut down mode and the Oilers stop hitting.

Imitation is the sincerest form of flattery but that doesn’t mean you should play as the Doppelganger of every team you play against. Find your strength. Build a team of players with those characteristics. Make a game plan that reflects those strengths and do not change it whether home or road and no matter the opponent.

And to think that team is missing Brendan Morrow, Sergei Zubov, Brad Richards and Sean Avery. There are better teams in the West but there are no worse matchups for this Oiler team.

76. Cloned says:

Coach:

Good pick up on Cogliano. He’s fast as hell, but the game is still way too fast in his own mind right now. He could have done a lot more with that Turco turnover in the 1st if he had been more patient with the wraparound, for example. And yes, his defensive coverage is horrid right now.

Moreau… what can I say? The guy is single-handedly losing games for us. I’ve never been more angry at an Oilers player, and this includes Bergeron on Roloson.

77. Coach pb9617 says:

It doesn’t matter really, they’re still short Wes Walz. Is Walz that valuable that Tambellini is having a hard time trading for him?!

So Pisani comes back and Moreau is demoted. That means Reddox is promoted? Reddox – Cogliano – Pisani? Pisani ain’t that good.

I’m going to sacrifice a chicken in the hopes that I wake up tomorrow and Montreal has to forfeit the season because Price, the Kostitsyns and Gorges are snorting hooker of male strippers asses and Tambellini finally pulled the trigger on Schremp for Walz.

78. Coach pb9617 says:

Wow, the guesses at the Montreal thing are awesome. I’m going with underage drug use and a Blue Monday remake with underagers.

For $200, Alex.

79. knighttown says:

Remember how Michael Jordan had Joe Dumars as his Kryptonite? Ales Hemsky has that in Steve Ott. He renders him completely ineffective and I worry that as more teams see the success the Stars have doing that, it will become the norm. First Regehr, then Ott and now Tootoo.

Ironically, that would also be very similar to my three wishes if I found a genie in a bottle. Followed by the statement, “buried alive in an anthill with honey on their faces”.

80. Coach pb9617 says:

hooker = coke

makes more sense that way.

81. knighttown says:

What age is drug use legal in Quebec anyway Coach?

82. Lord Bob says:

Snorting a hooker would be worse. Particularly a Montreal hooker.

83. Coach pb9617 says:

What age is drug use legal in Quebec anyway Coach?

Didn’t say it was legal or not – I’m betting that the boys are feeding some 16 year olds some high end blow.

In return for the lasses being energetic fans.

Where’s doogie?

Maybe it’s a photo of 10 Habs smoking a joint while wearing Leafs sweaters.

85. knighttown says:

Now, I’m not French and didn’t translate this but this was from the Habs site, which is basically crashing…

Click on “L’Antichambre” and then the first “Les manchettes des Experts” (second in the list) to see the Demers clip. It’s in French but yeah.

Basically:

Demers: “Honestly, there are things I know, and what looks like what’s going to come out [in the papers] tomorrow, I swear to you, I thought about Mr. Beliveau tonight…and I just hope I’m dreaming. I’m a proud Canadien, the Canadiens are my life, and I hope I’m dreaming but I don’t think I am”

Bergeron: “I feel the same way. It’s unbelievable. Tomorrow, hockey will be second. I don’t like at all what I’ve heard today.”

Hartley: “If everything we’ve been told is true, I’ve never seen that in my life. If it’s true, I’m going back to Atlanta [joking]“

Mitchell: “The Canadiens are my roots, and my idols, like you guys…and it looks like the foundation is going to be shaken. Not just for the Quebecois but for anyone who wears the Canadiens sweater around the country. To me, what’s happened, it’s unacceptable”.

Crete: “We can’t go into many details but something has happened that will implicate not just one Canadiens player but many. You’ll be hearing more tomorrow.”

86. danny says:

Dog fighting.

87. pboy says:

Gotta be drugs or underage sex. They are letting Kovalev back to practise, so is it possible that Gainey is anticipating them being shorthanded so Kovalev is back in the fold?

88. Bruce says:

Hemsky certainly was ineffectual tonight, whether that was Ott or just Ales I’m not sure. Trying to run the 5 on 3 from below the goal line where the shot isn’t even a 1-in-50 option was just one example. When he doesn’t move his feet on the powerplay it just isn’t going to happen … his game is opening up lanes and exploiting them.

Took a real stupid slashing penalty too.

89. Jfry says:

the mtl thing is interesting…having lived there, i agree with coach that underage drug use is a HUGE probability. Every where i went there was a 16 year old looking for a flap, which was delivered by the bikers.

honestly, with all the potential for total craziness in montreal, i can’t even imagine how bad this news could be. there aren’t many cities in the world more fun and “free” in spirit.

go, if you haven’t.

Just finished watching on the PVR.

Wow. Moreau. Wow.

The play dies with him. According to MacT this is a sin.

He gives up more than he creates. According to MacT this is a sin.

He takes stupid, selfish, rally-killing penalties. According to MacT this is a sin.

I would wager nary a bad word is said about the captain by the coach after the game.

All other players not named Staios or Moreau would have been benched for that performance. Those two get a walk every time.

I've had enough of him. I wish he would get another season ending injury.

He single handedly killed the momentum anytime the Oilers got rolling (which was rare tonight)

Staios gave Hemsky 5 hospital passes around the defensive blueline. I really feel for Hemsky to have to play with such a hamfisted, quicksand skating, panic-with-the-puck "leader"

I also counted 4 Staios outlet passes that went for icing with Horpensky on the ice. Quality hockey there.

44 and 24 have to be split up. Between them they make 5 good outlet passes a game, and 44 has 4 of them.

Put 24 and 5 back together, as well as 44 & 77 and let 77 & 5 do all the passing.

Moreau should be a healthy scratch next game. Or unhealthy if his pissed off teammates manage to back overhim at the airport when they get home.

What an udderly abismal display by a so called leader.

Pathetic, self-centered bullshit.

Brett Calligan should call Moreau and demand that piece of shit to take his number off, he doesn't deserve it and he is an embarrassment to his uniform.

91. Dennis says:

The scoring chance page is on the fritz tonight so I’ll try again tomorrow but here are the final numbers:

13-24 OV; 10-19 EV; 3-5 ST

Things were quite close after 40 min but then the Oilers were outchanced 9-3 in the third period – and the Stars had the frame’s first nine chances and all of them were at EV.

Not a real strong night for Roli and the guys who wanted to rest him for tonight look to be bang-on. And it’s depressing to think so and I was one of the ones who got sucked in during the ’08 stretch but it looks like our PP was Always be lesser than the sum of their parts.

Here was another poor night for the 10 line with one goal and two chances from 27 but nothing from 83 or any of the D while they played with the Horc line.

You’ve got 89-26 scuffling to score and 13′s got one goal in like ~20 games now, right? He’s not a centre and tonight’s 4th GA is just another to add to the pile of goals where 13 isn’t anywhere close to being in the proper position defensively.

Yet, for some reason, 78′s not suited to play pivot!;)

92. Schitzo says:

I’ve been preaching it since the LA game. Sunday, 2pm, we form an orderly line at WEM at the autograph table and take turns airing our grievances against Ethan Moreau.

93. Bank Shot says:

I really don’t think it was too much to expect just one of the young Oiler forwards to avoid the sophmore jinx.

Would be nice if grit was expected out of the scoring lines and not just the depth guys. Penner, and Horcoff, and Hemsky should all be finishing their checks. Drop passes should be banned, and avoiding the center of the offensive zone should be outlawed.

94. Lord Bob says:

Whoever shows up at the WEM signing dressed as a penalty box, goes to Moreau’s table, and says he’s his biggest fan is assured of the front page of the Sun sports section.

95. Traktor says:

Media guy: “So what’s it like being the captain of the Oilers?”

Moreau: “Actually, the C stands for Chopper.

96. mc79hockey says:

Traktor’s best post ever.

97. Asiaoil says:

Gee I’m surprised that the rotten core is up to their tricks again. Lowe, MacT, Moreau, Staios – flush the toilet or the stink will just keep getting worse.

Good news is that stupid Moreau has had everything possible go in the net this year – sell sell sell while you can. Staios – well I’ve seen worse guys get traded for something useful – but I’m not holding my breath on either guy getting moved or a coaching/mgmt change.

98. Coach pb9617 says:

hrm.

Crips street gangbanging was not even on my radar.

99. Lord Bob says:

Do I have this right? Are the Kostitsyns basically hockey’s Maxime Bernier? They know bad people? I mean, that’s a reason for your mom to have a chat with you, not to make Jacques Demers cry.

100. Dennis says:

The clip’s on the official site so you can listen to it yourself but here’s a somewhat accurate take on MacT’s response to “Ethan walking the line.”

MacT: he stepped on the guy’s stick for the first penalty but not sure how 18′s the only one taken out of the scrum and given the extra minor. Ethan was on the bench and he didn’t even know he took the penalty!”

and he said that was the response they were looking for when he took the 5 min major after the ott hit on 77.

So, there it is. There are two sets of rules.

101. bookie says:

Could they simply be talking about the Guy Lafleur commentary. It would be somewhat BIG news in Quebec that Guy came out and totally cut down the coach of the Habs (which he did if you read the articles).

102. Asiaoil says:

Dennis this is surprising? This shit’s been going on for a couple years and really got going this season. MacTs coaching like a guy who just doesn’t give a damn – whether he thinks he’s bulletproof or knows he’s gone and doesn’t care – who knows?

103. Coach pb9617 says:

Eh, a banging dealer has their credit cards and bank accounts. I’d venture a guess that money-laundering is a possibility.

104. Lord Bob says:

I still dunno, Coach. Remember, the Kostitsyns are more-or-less Russian. Pavel Bure rolled with rougher guys when he went for groceries.

105. bookie says:

Guy Laflour had some interesting things to say about the Oilers as well.

“Kovalev, he said, should have been left on a line with centre Tomas Plekanec and winger Andrei Kostitsyn, one of the NHL’s premier trios last season, and not bounced among linemates.

“When you have a line that had that kind of success, leave them together no matter what happens,” Lafleur said. “They might go through bad times like we did when I played with Jacques Lemaire and Steve Shutt and Pete Mahovlich. But Scotty Bowman didn’t switch the damn lines around to try other things. “

106. Bruce says:

The response we’re looking for is to take 2, 5, and 10 on some random guy after two Oilers have already stood up to the real culprit? That’s fucking brain-dead, and that applies to both Moreau and MacT.

Your Captain’s road trip:

4 GP, 0-0-0, -1
    9 minors, 5 coincidental
    2 majors, 1 coincidental
    1 misconduct

… which doesn’t record him being in the box when PHX scored the tying goal and when DAL scored the game winner.

It’s about time the Coach (a.k.a. the “Boss”) showed some testes and called the man out for torpedoing his own team’s chances again and again and fucking AGAIN. Enough, already. If our own captain isn’t accountable for his actions, what the fuck kind of example does that set for the younger players?

107. Lord Bob says:

Maybe that’s why Andrew Cogliano isn’t scoring anymore. What he’s learning from our captain is “if I skate around uselessly and take dopey penalties, I am invincible”.

108. Rod says:

Remember back a couple weeks when Moreau was quoted “out of context”? At the time I stated my focus would be on 18′s on-ice contributions rather than media quotes. Um, yeah. TambLowe can’t move 18 out fast enough. Waiting until the deadline only manages to sewer the season. This road-trip is exhibit A. Or is that C…For Chopper. MacTavish certainly isn’t going to hold Moreau accountable for anything. Trade 18, the sooner the better.

109. Rod says:

C for Chopper. Nice one Traktor!

110. hunter1909 says:

At least we have the satisfaction that MacT has got maybe 25 games left to coach the Edmonton Oilers Hockey Club, before he’s moved out.

111. hunter1909 says:

“Work hard, do what you’re told, and one day, you too can become the captain of this franchise” Moreau’s dressing room speech to rally the troops

112. hunter1909 says:

Just think about it. Some time in the future, there will be posters reminiscing about the good old days, with MacT behind the bench, lol.

113. mc79hockey says:

“Rod” is Terry Jones.

Hey everyone,

Just a quick reminder here that we don’t tolerate any sort of racist comments no matter how tame.

I’m kind of surprised that I had to write this, frankly.

115. Lord Bob says:

I’m kind of surprised that I had to write this, frankly.

Welcome to the Internet, LT!

116. Rod says:

@mc79hockey…

Not that it takes much, but I’m completely confused. Just what the hell did I do to deserve that comment from you? I know what you (and I for that matter) think of Jones, so equating me to Jones is shorthand for saying I’m crap. Or are you suggesting that Moreau is helping the Oilers? Or that MacT will hold him accountable? (meaning HS or 4th line duty at best) Or that 18 was screwed by the refs and nothing more (aka the actual defense MacTavish used post-game).

If it’s that a Jones MO is to scapegoat a single player or coach and ride them out of town, you’ve missed a key element. Well, a few, but here’s the key:
    - a Jones scapegoat is usually the “popular” target (i.e. the one fans in general have already scapegoated; or one the coach has already put on a spit).

Moreau doesn’t fit that bill. Penner does. Witness a recent home game in which Penner was booed whenever he touched the puck (the Arnott treatement), even though 27 was having a good game. Why? MacT tossed him under the bus.

Guess which of the two (18 or 27) Jones complains about?

Moreau is never questioned by the media, because he tries hard and the coach never says anything remotely negative about 18. Penner is always called to task by the media, because he’s “fat”, they can’t figure out his effort, and MacT serves him up on a platter.

Meanwhile, I’m consistently calling for the coach to leave Horpensky intact as a line (they *are* a very good line). Penner may have deserved a kick in the butt and/or a benching, but the MacT’s media tirades are dumb. Then, I question the value of 18 to the team. For that I’m Jones? WTF?

It’s beyond obvious that Moreau is hurting the Oilers and deserves to be benched. At least to me, and many posting in this thread. I guess we’re all wrong. mc79 knows all…just like he “knows” I’m Jones. Whatever.

Ad hominem away all you want mc79. I just don’t get it.

117. Bruce says:

I didn’t get that one either, Rod. It was obvious you weren’t Terry Jones from the moment you put two sentences in the same paragraph.

118. mc79hockey says:

Ah, it was a reference to your use of “sewer the season”, which is a Jonesism. A few years back the only google hits for the expression were from Jones’ columns.

So nothing negative intended, just thought it was funny you snagged TJ’s expression.

119. Black Dog says:

Terry Jones just called. He said leave him out of this.

And send him a bucket of chicken.

Make it two buckets!

120. Rod says:

@mc79:
    Ah, now I get it. You’re right, that is funny.

Next time something goes over my head I’ll try to simply ask for the explanation and save myself a bunch of typing. :-)

« Older Comments