Oilers at Stars, G58, 08-09

The Edmonton Oilers are irritating. They’re like that scene in Vertigo where James Stewart is hanging on for dear life, except that the scene never fades.

The Oilers seem to spend every season on the ledge, hanging on by a fingernail with certain death seconds away.

Every. damn. year.

I don’t like Dallas. The Stars are all arrogant and superior-like, and they have funny haircuts. And webbed feet.

In the language of men, they’re “dinks.”

(clap clap).

320 Responses to "Oilers at Stars, G58, 08-09"

Newer Comments »
  1. kanadienkyle says:

If I wrote blog posts for a week, I don’t believe I could have summed up the Stars any more succinctly than your use of “dinks”.

2. oilerdago says:

Great post LT. A win tonite and the Oil take the season series from the Stars. When was the last time that happened?

So the article in today’s Journal says Zorg might play on the 3rd line w/JFJ on the 4th (or Smac).

I don’t get it. You’ve got a 4th line that’s finding chemistry. Why break it up?

Not saying the Pou does not deserve to be benched, but…

3. mc79hockey says:

This description of the Dallas Stars brought to you by the late, lamented Covered in Oil.

4. Coach pb9617 says:

Wonder who is in net tonight?

5. mc79hockey says:

The Huggy Bear nickname made a Journal headline today. I’m pretty sure it evolved here and a member of the same group came up with the Conkkannen nickname that made it beyond the internets. It’s like the 4chan of Oilers nicknames.

6. HBomb says:

You want the definition of “dink”?

20 years in the league, and that pretty boy Modano still has perfect f’n teeth.

Someone needs to serve him up a composite sandwich.

Dallas and Calgary in the next 72 hours. Hate level is at “simmer”, will likely be upgraded to “boil”.

7. HBomb says:

Oh yeah, and Mike Ribeiro is a fucking piece of overrated dog shit. Had to say it.

I’d take Steve Ott on the Oilers every day of the week, however.

8. Mike says:

Way to take it down to my level LT. They are a bunch of dink jerkface douchenozzles.

clap clap

9. bookie says:

It seems to me like the fourth line may be the second most important line on this team. This year and last, the team appears to do well if the 4th is doing well and to fail if the 4th is failing to do much.

Find Chemistry, keep them together.

10. Schitzo says:

Did I beat Bruce? I’d say it’s the smart thing to do because 46 has been defensively solid, whereas JFJ has not really shown that yet.

Keeping the fourth line together is a pyhrric victory if the third gets torched because of JFJ.

Also, because Stortini probably deserves the extra minutes more than JFJ at this point.

11. oilerdago says:

Schitzo: I don’t disagree the Zorg’s deserving of the minutes (over JFJ). But moving him up to the 3rd line means that you lose the chemistry on that line and more minutes for Moreau – more chances for him to take a stupid penalty.

Is that a good thing?

Why not just give the 4th line more shifts?

12. Black Dog says:

Where’s Pat Verbeek?

13. hunter1909 says:

Oilers I guarantee get at least 1 point out of tonight’s game.

But Dallas never lose to this bunch either, lol so 1 point is as high as it gets in the prediction sweepstakes.

14. Jonathan Willis says:

Tyler: The “Huggy Bear” line has appeared in the papers before.

As for tonight’s game, I want Jacques to have the game Isbister had against Dallas a couple of years back, and I completely agree that the Stars are “dinks”.

Personally, I don’t hate any team more than the Dallas Stars.

15. Coach pb9617 says:

I can’t tell from the article – did Mac say third line in combination with “elevate his role” or is Ireland inferring? Do we have any other quotes from this conversation from another source?

16. Scott says:

I know that Brodziak, Stortini and and Reddox played well together against San Jose and Phoenix, but they also got shelled against L.A. and outplayed against Montreal. As far as I know that’s how long the line has been together. I’m not sure I’d describe that line as having chemistry not worth splitting up.

Scoring chances at EV in those four games:

Reddox: +7 -17
    Stortini: +5 -12
    Brodziak: +11 -19

Chemistry!

17. Stuart van says:

Oilers would be a better team without their off-season moves. Oilers should have held on to Torres, Glencross, Greene and Stoll. While Visnovsky is a skilled player that has been an upgrade, Cole does not fit in well. Stoll is a premiere face off man, Greene is a gritty defensemen, Torres is a gritty forward, and Glencross has combined grit with scoring ability (and is a bargain at $1.2 million).

Brule is a smallish tweener forward, something we don’t need and Visnovsky’s skills are replicated by Gilbert and Grebeshkov.

18. Phil says:

It certainly doesn’t hurt that Morrow and Zubov and Richards are out. Especially Zubov – he may be getting old, but this guy cuts a lot of piss.

Got a good feeling about this one.

19. Traktor says:

Cole should be put on the 4th line at this point – he fucking sucks.

Cole has an absolutely pathetic Pts/60 of 1.17 – Smac is 1.05 and Stortini is 1.69

Cole has the worst GFON/60 out of every regular – even Reddox is better.

He’s keeping the puck out of the net but there’s no way you can justify continuing to give him gravy minutes – he has the 5th best QT.

I’ve never watched a player have the puck die on his stick more than Cole in my entire life – he has the hockey sense of a lump of coal.

20. Unleaded says:

Honestly, I’d be willing to bet this is just a fluff piece based on Stortini’s solid play recently. What surprises me more is that the whole line isn’t getting more play. Its hard not to notice when 85-51-46 is on the ice – the puck goes the right way, there are big hits, and scoring chances.

Just out of curiosity, isn’t that what’s supposed to happen on a checking line?

Also, how much better a player would Pou be if he initiated body contact like that? Would he be like Kyle – Skill and Sandpaper – or would it fill out his game more than that?

Finally, if you had Moreau playing with 51-46, would that create an effective line, or just have the grinders on the ice for when our captain gives up a scoring chance or takes a penalty?

21. Temujin says:

It’s nice that we can all get along today. Stars must die. Goil!

22. Sean says:

Nice post LT.

Dregor chimes in on players available come deadline. Interesting names – VanReimsdyk and Lehtonen, should be of interest for the Oilers. Brutal that Vish and Grebs are out – Oilers dont have a position of strength anymore.

23. gary b says:

Stars ARE dinks, and Modano is the head Weenus.

love the jam/grit Oil have showed lately. excited to see if #22 can bring something to the party, too.

clear the tracks… here’s comes JACQUES!

24. Loxy says:

Getting 30 wins sounds really good right now, especially against those dinks.

Goilerz!

Clap clap!

25. HBomb says:

Stuart van: It’s been stated before, but you’re new here it seems, so I’ll do it for your service.

You make that Visnovsky trade EVERY SINGLE TIME. A premier d-man for two spare parts.

Lowe’s error was not adequately replacing two very replaceable assets that were sent the other way.

And yes, Glencross was a screw-up. No one is going to argue that to the contrary.

Torres? Up for debate. I’d have kept him and ditched Moreau myself.

26. kamus says:

The thing that always sticks in my mind about Modano is when he asked for a mirror on the bench in the playoffs.
    Seriously who does that.

27. Schitzo says:

Seriously who does that.

Whaaaaaa? When was this?

28. Coach pb9617 says:

Chemistry!

You don’t account for a settling in period at all?

29. quain says:

Lowe shouldn’t have made any of those trades because it was obvious that a guy with a concussion, an awful 6D, and a useful 4LW on a streak would all become good value hockey players!

If only everyone in the NHL could GM from six months in the future, we’d all be brilliant.

HBomb has the correct tact: Lowe is a jackass for not acquiring Marty Reasoner and someone who could play left wing.

30. Coach pb9617 says:

Cole for Gill + a 3rd
    Schremp for Reasoner
    2nd for Guerin

Penner-Horcoff-Hemsky
    Nilsson-Gagner-Guerin
    Cogliano-Reasoner-Pisani
    Moreau-Brodziak-Stortini

Souray-Staios
    Grebeshkov-Gilbert
    Gill-Smid

31. CrazyCoach says:

I have to admit I actually cheered for the Stars last spring when they beat the Anaheim Punks and CFP. It was awesome to watch. That and my grandpa’s name was Louie Erickson.

But sorry Gramps, the Stars are still a bunch of dogs dinks!

32. Bruce says:

Good morning. 2-for-1 trades always look terrible when the “1″ gets injured. But I disagree with HBomb that the “replaceable assets” we sent LA’s way were just “spare parts”. Those guys were and are maturing veterans who bring a lot to the table: stuff we need and have needed all season like faceoffs, penalty-killing, shot blocking, hitting, leadership, toughness, even (it seems) scoring.

A spare part does not lead his team in as many disparate categories as Jarret Stoll did last year. I’ll agree that he had a tough year in many respects, and we didn’t know when or even if he would bounce back from that concussion, but he still did an awful lot of heavy lifting. After another 3-point outing in last night’s big win in Anaheim, he’s up to a very respectable 15-21-36 and a team-leading +7; that’s no spare part for goodness sake.

The Oilers also needed the skills that Visnovsky brings, or should I say “brought” w.r.t. the current season. It’s too damn bad he’s gone, and that trade looks mighty harsh in his absence.

Whether you do the trade “all day long” or “10 times out of 10″ or whatever you people keep saying, the deal sure doesn’t appear to have hurt the Kings. Can we not at least agree the Oilers gave up value for value?

33. Traktor says:

Cole for a bottom pairing UFA defender? Brutal asset management.

34. relic says:

was gonna just say the same as traktor. cole for gill and a 3rd pick would be terrible. I’d much rather see one of the young blueliners rumored from bean-town.

35. Traktor says:

Interesting stat: Penner is tied for 13th in the league with 5 game winning goals.

36. gary b says:

if i’m Lowe, and i get a do-over, i try TORRES and Greene (and a pick?) to LA for Lubomir, thereby keeping Stoll. but i still go get Lubo.

37. Traktor says:

Could we even afford Stoll at 3.6 million?

Paying over 9 million dollars for two 50-60 point centers would be a great way to ensure mediocrity.

38. quain says:

You can agree we gave up value for value only if you look at the values right now. At the time we gave up a question mark and a 6D for value.

Just like if all three picks we gave the Ducks for Penner end up being huge busts and never play a game we don’t go back, rewrite the history books and say “Well, it’s like we signed Penner as a UFA!”

In August 2008 you make that trade ten times out of ten because you’re not trading a busted Lubo for two guys who don’t completely suck.

39. Scott says:

You don’t account for a settling in period at all?

Firstly, the “settling in” would only be for Reddox on that line since 51 and 46 have been together for a while. Secondly, they’ve played well as a line for two games. Two. It’s great that they’ve done it, but I don’t know that two games is enough to judge a line’s chemistry especially when, in their other two games together, they got shelled.

40. Phil says:

@ gary b:

Who’s to say he didn’t?

41. Doogie2K says:

No argument here. I lost any respect I might’ve had for him after he did that writhing-in-agony bullshit in the MTL-BOS series in ’04. Oh, and he was riding the shooting-percentage train all of last season.

//But I disagree with HBomb that the “replaceable assets” we sent LA’s way were just “spare parts”. Those guys were and are maturing veterans who bring a lot to the table: stuff we need and have needed all season like faceoffs, penalty-killing, shot blocking, hitting, leadership, toughness, even (it seems) scoring.//

The time had come when Stoll and Greene had to be given long expensive contracts, and the Oilers made the correct decision that they were NOT worth the money, and even better, they got an exceptional defenseman with a fair contract for them.

Stoll is a mediocre even strength player. The Oilers no longer needed him on the power play. Penalty killing is coaching. $3.6 million for faceoff skills is far too much.

Gilbert took Greene’s job. And Greene V2.0…i.e. Theo Peckham…was 1 year away. And Smid has more upside potential.

43. Coach pb9617 says:

Oh, I’d love to see Lashoff and Soderberg, but I don’t know that Cole’s value is as high as everyone here and in the local SSM thinks it is.

44. Bruce says:

re: HuggyBear in the headlines, so happens I did a post on Oil Droppings earlier today about the distribution of goal scoring in the 7 games since Lubo went down. In short:

27-10-83 = 7 goals
    12-89-26 = 3 goals
    18-13-78 = 2 goals
    85-51-46 = 5 goals

One of Penner’s goals actually came in the game he lined up with 51 and 46, so arguably the fourth line has equalled the first in production; certainly it has far outperformed the 2nd and the 3rd units in terms of lighting the lamp.

The underlying shots/Corsi/scoring chance data over that span is pretty ugly to put it politely, but for whatever reason the puck has been finding twine when the plumbers are bashing it in the general direction of the goal mouth. Outside of the Detroit game when a whole bunch of shit happened to the entire team, they haven’t hurt us on the defensive side of the puck.

Certainly all three guys have done enough right to not be in jeopardy if JFJ does suit up tonight (which is far from a given). Any chance Cogs draws the short straw? Judging by the 17 seconds of ice he saw in the third in the Shark Tank, MacT clearly wasn’t impressed with his almost-criminal negligence on the Thornton goal that sealed the deal. Andrew’s been treading water for some time now, with points in just 3 of his last 17. Just 1 Goal in the last 19, and that a gift from Carey Price. He’s been a passenger on way too many nights for my liking.

//Cole for a bottom pairing UFA defender? Brutal asset management.//

46. Traktor says:

coach:

I think most GM’s are aware that the lack of individual success in Edmonton is due to flawed team philosophies, stale culture and ineffective tactics.

Lupul was brought in and failed.

Pitkanen’s worst season was in Edmonton.

Cole is an epic bust – he’s getting outproduced by Joni.

Penner is a failure – at least in the coaches eyes; “He’s never been in shape to help us. He’s a stretch to play on the 1st line.”

Gagner has 3 EV goals.

Horcoff is getting outproduced by Rene Rene Bourque.

ect..

I certainly don’t think we’ll get the moon for Cole but I think most GM’s would view him as a solid bet to bounce back and would put forth a decent offer.

47. Coach pb9617 says:

So the left wing should immediately work in combo?

Secondly, they’ve played well as a line for two games. Two.

Their last two.

Long term, no. But it’s certainly working the last two games. Like I said yesterday, I don’t know if it’s matchups or not, but the coach is feeding them shifts and they are responding to about the highest level you can expect out of a fourth line and they are outchancing and outscoring the second line right now. So seems to me the logical progression is to mangle an already messed up second line and let Jim Frank Jack run against the second toughs with THE CAPTAIN ETHAN MOREAU and Ibelongonleftwingliano.

especially when, in their other two games together, they got shelled.

You mean “especially when, in their first two games together, they got shelled.”

48. Traktor says:

“Twenty games of Cole for for twenty games of Gill would be a good deal. Gill can kill penalties and is big. And thus, he would ease Souray’s workload for the last twenty games.”

No it wouldn’t.

20 games of Cole for a prospect like Oskar Osala who could help up for years to come would be a good deal.

“Cole for a defenseman at the deadline HAS to happen, and I doubt Cole would be upset getting a chance to play with Crosby.”

Why does it HAVE to happen? Couldn’t we deal soon-to-be goners like Schremp and Pouliot and acquire an established bottom defender like Gill?

The bottom line is losing significant assets like Cole for nothing or trading him for another UFA that we will lose for nothing is the road to mediocrity.

49. Traktor says:

“Andrew’s been treading water for some time now, with points in just 3 of his last 17. Just 1 Goal in the last 19, and that a gift from Carey Price. He’s been a passenger on way too many nights for my liking.”

And yet he still has 10 more points than Sam “everything on a silver platter” Gagner.

Has as many goals as Shawn Horcoff.

Has the 2nd most game winning goals out of forwards on the team.

Is tied with Shawn Horcoff with 21 EV points.

But yeah… let’s sit Cogliano because Pouliot isn’t good enough to make a routine pass.

50. Bruce says:

Traktor: “Let’s sit Cogliano” is twisting my words.

But … did you watch the replay of the Thornton goal? It was ghastly; Andrew’s head was in the clouds. Hopefully a one-period benching will be sufficient cuz this is a guy we need going forwrad. But we need him going, going forward if you follow me.

The best part of the Cogs on LW idea being floated is it would take him off of Moreau’s line. I don’t think those guys click even a tiny bit.

51. Coach pb9617 says:

He’s been a passenger on way too many nights for my liking.

It could be because his wings stink, which they do – badly, or it could be because he’s not a center. Move him to LW and get a fricking center already.

52. relic says:

Bruce: that’s a great BK reference, certainly losing those two defenders is more than a “flesh wound” to this team but they appear to be refusing to give in just the same.

If a guy like Chris Neil can be seen as a quality 3rd liner Zorg can’t be too far off. I hope the oilers never pay him Nielesque money though.

53. Shaft19 says:

Gentlemen,

I’ve been a long-time reader of this blog and its comments. This ‘community’ has a certain feeling that can’t be duplicated during a live blog, LT’s history briefings aren’t something you could find anywhere else, and as a fan of math and hockey, well… you can see why I find this a good read. This is the class of Oilers discussion.

As you can therefore imagine, I’ve had nothing but good thoughts about this place, and felt it unnecessary to post here – until now. Because though I agree with the supposition – nay, fact – that the Dallas Stars are dinks, I should come clean about one thing: I too have webbed feet.

But I guess I finally figured out why so many of my friends think I’m a dink.

54. Traktor says:

I guess next time Cogliano should assume that Pouliot will get his pocket picked.

If Pouliot makes the play that 100/100 times he’s expected to make then nobody is even talking about Cogliano.

Yes, I know that Cogliano stopped skating but that flubbed pass is the epitome of Poliout’s career. Nothing more useless than soft bottom 6ers.

I actually though Cogliano came out flying that game but he’s thoroughbred and the coach is using him to plow fields with the other donkeys. What a waste.

The thing with Moreau is any time his line has possession of the puck it’s on Moreau’s stick 90% of the time. You start every hand with 7-2.

55. Scott says:

I agree that a play for a dman should come from an asset like this rather than Cole. If it’s Gill, he probably jumps into our top four until Grebs returns.

a fourth line and they are outchancing

I don’t think this is true, if we’re talking beyond just two games. Even in those two games the Nilsson-Gagner-Cole line has been outchancing the other guys. The summed Corsi for the last two games of those two units:

Gagner line: +21
    Brodziak line: -7

As an added bonus, they didn’t get shelled in the other two games either.

and outscoring the second line right now.

I think this is colouring your perception of “outchancing”

56. Coach pb9617 says:

It was clearly a typo as I referenced Moreau and Cogliano later in the post.

57. kamus says:

I agree with Traktor on Moreau, in that he’s a blackhole for his linemates offense.
    Cogliano needs the puck to be effective, but the captain only has two plays:shot or give away.

58. Unleaded says:

Honestly, the funiest part of that from my perspective is how often we’ve seen Sevens come up on the flop. If there were a year to trade Ethan, this is it. The only thing that would make it funnier (from my perspective) would be if Pouliot and Moreau got traded to the same team. Their lack of Chmistry is truely mind-blowing.

59. Unleaded says:

LINE-UP UPDATE: Marc Pouliot is out and J.F. Jacques is in, marking Jacques’ first NHL appearance since suffering a back injury last season.

18-13-22?

or

22-51-46?

60. Scott says:

It was clearly a typo as I referenced Moreau and Cogliano later in the post.

You’re right. Bad reading on my part. For the record the summed Corsi for Cogliano’s line over those two games is also -7.

61. Black Dog says:

This is the best time to sell Moreau absolutely, or at least this summer. He’s not going to get better or be luckier. Sell high.

If you can get Schneider for two picks then you can get Gill for one, what did he go for last year, a fifth? Trading Cole for him is strengthening the D and then suddenly you’re short up front. Doesn’t make sense.

Pitkanen has less points this year then four Oilers’ Dmen. I like Joni but he hasn’t been the same since he got hurt in the year after the lockout (and since he played the PP with a healthy Forsberg)

Having said that a lot of Cole’s drop off has been due to how they have used him. Playing him with Moreau and Brodziak – what the hell offence did they expect from that combo?

62. Coach pb9617 says:

22 is a natural left wing, given the season so far, he’ll be on RW to start.

63. Mr DeBakey says:

“with 5 game winning goals. “
    “Has the 2nd most game winning goals out of forwards on the team.”

I din’t realize anyone outside of TV announcers thinks that Game Winning Goals is useful stat.

Can we not at least agree the Oilers gave up value for value?

I’d do the Lubo trade every day of the week. If it turned out OK for LA too, fine.
    Great even.
    Maybe they’ll talk Frolov next.

Lupul was brought in and failed.

And contimnues to do wander in and out of the doghouse in Philadelphia

I agree that a play for a dman should come from an asset like this [Pouliot/Schremp] rather than Cole.

I’d like to see Cole to Buffalo for Afinogenov and Philippe Gogulla [or Luke Adam].

Buffalo would like to dump Maxim – who knows maybe he clicks with someone here.
    And the Oilers would still have the prospect for future use

64. dave says:

On another note, I think Roli is moved at the deadline for another tender or as part of deal for another tender. Has to happen. I also think we are overplaying him at this point with the assumption that we moving him.

65. quain says:

22 is a natural left wing, given the season so far, he’ll be on RW to start.

God, I hope his offense isn’t hurt because of the change.

66. shepso says:

call me totally insane, and I know I have brought this up before, but if there’s any player of interest from Buffalo, in my mind it’s gotta be Tim Connolly, a RH center who takes plays PP point and could easily slide into a 2C or 3C role on this team, which could slide Cogs to LW or Sammy to RW depending on where he’s utilized. Sure he’s had some shit luck in the past, but I really think he can stay healthy now. 25pts in the 24 games since returning from injury and because of his injury history, he may come at a discounted price as a ufa this summer…thoughts?

67. Doogie2K says:

Sure [Connolly]‘s had some shit luck in the past, but I really think he can stay healthy now.

He’s had his bell rung more often than a fire station’s. I wouldn’t count on it.

68. hunter1909 says:

coach: Does this mean you’re still reading what MacT has to say?

69. hunter1909 says:

shaft19 – lol

70. kris says:

An edited quote from Traktor:

This is why Edmonton needs a museum of modern art. Without it, we’re doomed to having players like Cole and Lupul underachieve. :)

On a more serious note, I’m not sure if more players than average underachieve -or overachieve, for that matter- in Edmonton. If you want to make this claim, you need to do more than mention a few underachievers, since every team has them; you’d need to do a larger comparison with similar teams. My guess is that fans of other teams feel exactly the same, i.e. that many players get traded to their team and start underachieving. (We all do the same thing in our personal lives by thinking that we have it worse than everyone else. It’s a common sort of bias. Grass is greener and all that.)

To address the underachievers the ever cheerful Mr. Traktor mentioned:

1. Cole: a.) Weak SE opposition padded his offensive #’s before coming here. b.) If he goes on a minor streak, he may meet reasonable offensive expectations.
    2. Lupul: Still is very inconsistent and he played on a terrible Oilers team. (Lupul is K-Lowe’s cross to bear, and expecting more from JL is Lowe’s biggest mistake IMO. I mean that.)
    3. Gagner is a toddler with 3EV goals playing tough minutes. Hardly underachieving. Was his run last year overachieving? Do you include that in your analysis?
    4. When Penner is on the first line he has played exactly as expected. BTW, being overpaid doesn’t mean you’re under performing expectations because pay and expectations don’t line up in the new cap era. (Indeed, Lowe admitted to a “slight” overpay to get him out of AN.)
    5. Let’s be clear: are you saying Horcoff is underperforming offensively? (If so, what did you do with the real Traktor?) If you look at Horcoff’s last 100-200 games, you get a sense of who he is. Slightly over 20 goal guy, who can get streaky or slumpy, who’s great defensively against the best opposition in the league.

Nonetheless, I think this is interesting. Maybe players do come here to have their careers die. What do other people think?

71. Mr DeBakey says:

Thoughts ’bout Connolly

He’s valuable to Buffalo
    so they don’t want to trde him?

A healthy Connolly, an UFA, would no doubt help a team for the rest of this season. And would be a great pick up for a team on a Cup run.

72. hunter1909 says:

Moreau and MacTavish off the bench and major sweeps come summer and this old time Oiler fan gets interested.

73. shepso says:

@Mr. Debakey: Yup, he’s really valuable, which is why he’s probably not staying in Buffalo. I think the braintrust over there realized the terrible screwups that were Drury and Briere leaving for nothing. I can see Connolly being in play at the deadline so that he’s not lost for nothing, and I for one really want to see him here. But that’s just me. I really believe he could solve several problems all at once, provided he doesn’t get hit in the head.

74. PDO says:

Dreger floated Cole+ for Kovalev in that article..

Thoughts?

I’d be all over it if it’s a small +…

75. Phil says:

@ shepso:

Whether or not Connolly would help is kind of a moot point – Mr. Regier isn’t about to forget the Vanek offer sheet any time soon. If I recall the presser after they matched for Vanek, Regier said something to the effect of ‘Kevin Lowe and the whole Oiler organization will catch gonorrhea and die before the Buffalo Sabres ever deal with them again’.

Or some such. I’m just paraphrasing.

76. digger says:

IMO you’re selling Moreau short here, he also has a 3rd play in his arsenal: Stick Infraction

77. HBomb says:

Cogliano-Pouliot-Pisani
    Moreau-Brodziak-Stortini

Two weeks from now, “problem solved” if they do that. Press-box for JFJ and Strudwick, Reddox farmed out (he’s the only guy they can bounce up and down without waiver issues, and not having him here isn’t exactly a huge loss).

78. shepso says:

@Phil: He hates Lowe for sure, but what has Tambo ever done to him? I’m kinda banking on Tambo’s position as a non-hated GM to help us get, well, anyone at this point. The only people Lowe can really trade with at this point are Slats and Holmgren (Philly), and maybe Chiarelli (or how ever it is spelled, the Boston guy…) and maybe the wackos on long Island. One can hope that Tambo’s presence in the organization will help ease the pressure of offersheetgate around the league…but now I’m just paraphrasing what Dreger said at TSN this morning about something to do with Cole for (I think it was) Afinoganov. I think Buffalo may consider doing business with us again. I hope so, anyway.

79. budorduke says:

Afinogenov is like a worse Row-bert. Pass.

80. oilerdago says:

//Afinogenov is like a worse Row-bert. Pass.//

Agreed. You make that trade and then the only jam left on the top 3 lines is Moreau (except when he’s bowling over goalies)…

81. Phil says:

@Shepso: I guess it remains to be seen. I think that it won’t matter to Regier that Lowe’s title has changed; he’s still with the Oilers, and that’s probably good enough for him. Same goes for Burke – I doubt that, because KL is no longer on the other end of the phone, he is willing to deal with the Oilers.

82. Mr DeBakey says:

Afinogenov is like a worse Row-bert. Pass.

The trade is for the prospect.
    Afinogenov is a throw-in.
    A Right Wing and a prayer
    So to speak

83. B.C.B. says:

I think this “I won’t trade with K-Lowe and the Oilers” is over played. There will always be a few teams that don’t trade with each other: divisional or conference rivals. But I think Reger would be fired if he turned down a good deal (for BUF) with the Oilers because of a personality conflict: it might drive up the price a bit, but no destroy the deal.

I would want Cole for Kovy + (not the other way around). Because both are struggling offensively and Cole can play PK and is gritty: which would be useful in the playoffs for both teams.

84. hunter1909 says:

Don’t worry Oilers got a dude names Sheldon who wouldn’t just love to take out any Dallas Star who wishes an end to the season.

85. Coach pb9617 says:

Dreger floated Cole+ for Kovalev in that article..

the WSH media is all over Nylander for Kovalev…

86. mc79hockey says:

the WSH media is all over Nylander for Kovalev…

Unless it’s Nylander+ and the + is one of Ovechkin or Green, I would tend to think that Bob Gainey would hang up when he got that offer.

87. Bruce says:

Relic: Thanks for reading … don’t forget to write!

I have to admit I laughed out loud when that Black Knight image crossed my mind as an appropriate analogy for the Oilers battered and broken defensive corps. Come to think of it, the BK as quadruple amputee bears a startling resemblance to Jason Strudwick.

I have invoked Neil’s name more than once in speaking of Zorg’s upside. I like Neil a lot (although he, too, can be a dink). After three hard years of 8 minutes a night, virtually all of it at even strength, he suddenly got bumped to 13 minutes a night in Year 4, where he carried on being a plus player with around 200 PiM and chipping in with an even strength goal every 10 games or so. All the while leading his team in Hits, scrums, fights, trash talking, general aggressiveness, and Attitude.

If that’s the description I’m giving of Zorg three years from now, I’ll be pleased but not entirely surprised. It’s not all that far from describing him right now.

Such guys may not have super long careers — Neil may already be on the decline at 29 — but they’re very handy fellows to have around and they don’t grow on trees (they just grow up in them).

Zorg handled one stretch of third line duty last year, 9 games with Stoll and Torres that went well until the 3rd period of the 9th game. Crosby.

If he gets the chance tonight, he’ll be an even more interesting player to watch than usual. What Dennis so aptly calls the Gentleman’s Agreement is off. The good news is that playing with Ethan he won’t have to handle the puck much. He’ll be backchecking after failed Ethan rushes, more likely.

The one thing that I can say with certainty is that tonight we’ll get every bit of whatever Zorg has got. We always do. This player’s level of “try” is exemplary, and makes him a real fun player to root for.

88. Bruce says:

The Dallas Stars are not only a bunch of dinks, they’re a bunch of uncircumcised dinks.

Time to cut ‘em down to size.

89. B.C.B. says:

mc79: If WAS want to rid itself of a Nylander’s contract maybe he would do it. Kovy is a UFA at the end of the season and Nylander is 4.875 for the next two seasons. It would only cost the Caps an extra 0.375, but that needs to be pro-rated. So virtually nothing in salary this years, you free up about 5million a year for the next two, and you still have Backstrom, Federov (and Kozlov when he gets of IR) to be your top two centers:
    Backstrom-Semin-Ovechkin
    Federov-Kovalev-Fleishman
    look like two top lines to me.

90. HBomb says:

Time to cut ‘em down to size.

Instead of “all hat and no cattle”, they’re “all skin and no stiffy”.

Fuckers. God I hate the Stars. Someone running at Turco tonight would be “the awesome”, so to speak.

91. mc79hockey says:

B.C.B.: As I understand things, MTL would have to agree for a trade to happen. I can’t imagine why they would.

92. B.C.B. says:

mc79: I must of miss read your comment. I agree montreal wouldn’t agree to taking Nylander, neither would many other teams I think. But Montreal is short of centers.

93. Doogie2K says:

I actually thought Nylander had played in Montreal already, but I guess not. Hartford, Calgary, Tampa, Chicago, Washington (2x), Boston, and Manhattan, but not Montreal.

94. CrazyCoach says:

I’ve heard that Connelly has weight issues and has battled them for most of his career. Hard to believe elite athletes have those issues, but they do.

95. Bruce says:

Besides the 10-2 debacle here, I’ve seen a few Buffalo games lately … got Roy, Vanek and Stafford in my keeper league pool so I tend to tune in when they’re on. I had Connolly on my team in that same draft from 18 years old and he was just coming along nicely after four years of 80+ GP and then the shit started happening to him left and right. Concussions, largely. So I had to let him go but I still follow his career with interest and know the guy fairly well.

Anyway, in those recent games I thought Connolly was terrific in every one of them. He is flying out there.

96. Bruce says:

PS: Connolly played 325 NHL games before he turned 22, which is virtually the maximum possible.

Six years later, he’s played just 137 more games.

97. Dennis says:

Bruce: good to see that someone finally liked my Gentleman’s Agreement tag;)

Interesting quotes today from macT re 78 and – at the time – his possible benching. MacT was very calm about it all and when pressed by Stauffer – who BTW really asks some good questions – if 78 was being stubborn in accepting a new role, macT said no that wasn’t the case and that 78′s improved his conditioning and has gotten bigger and in that answer seemed to validate all the folks who thought the reason he couldn’t stick early on because he wasn’t in shape.

Then MacT goes on to say that while there is a black hole between playing on the second and third line – I believe physicists call it the Moreau Principle – 78 needs to add more grit and accountability to his game like – wait for it – “Liam Reddox has done.”

85′s showed some jam in the last couple of games but before that, like Scott said, that new 4th line got railed for a couple of games. What Scott didn’t get to was that the difference in those guys being good and awful may very well be that in LA, Murray was all about getting Stoll or Kopitar out against those guys and in SJ we saw that McLaren really didn’t care enough about them to key on them. In fact, you can go further back to the SO loss at Min and see that Lemaire ran his first line out against them and they subsequently came up a minus in terms of OC: outchancing.

So, colour me unconvinced that 85 should be playing over 78 and that the new 4th line won’t get drilled again tonight. We’ve got some early evidence that suggests that if the Modano/Neil or Ribero/lethinen combos get out against them tonight, they’ll be in trouble.

13 is really the guy to talk about because as I mentioned before, he’s adrift. You had the three kids to worry about and it seems like 89′s the golden child and 12′s the guy that they feel has to play with talented linemates. Meanwhile, they trust 13 enough to put him on his own and ask him to take draws and be a pivot and it’s just not working out for him.

More and more going forward I think he has to play on either the wing of 10 or 89′s line OR he’s the fellow to deal for a goalscorer. I believe the Oilers are hoping that 10-89-83 and perhaps 27 can play tough min and then they’ll round out their bottom two lines with guys who finish anywhere from +5 to -5. So, either 13 plays one one of those wings, those two pivots play so well that Cogs gets to play super soft min on a third line Or he’s moved for a goalscorer to play alongside 89.

It’s much easier to see how the Oil could build a D – 37-77 plus a cheap 5 and one of 71 or 44 – and who might get sent out the door in the process than it is to see how the forward corps will wind up being aligned.

In any case, I’m really looking forward to tonight’s game. I’m on the record as saying that Dal-Van join the top four in the playoffs and then it’s Edm-Min-CBJ-Ana for the last two spots. I really haven’t included LA because they’ve played 10 more home games than road and that can’t be discounted by anyone.

If you’re of a certain age, or you’ve ever read anything about hockey in general, the nerves are always jangled with the Vish Throttlers head to Dallas.

if Jacques can Costeau a point, it would be a big help:D

98. rider guy says:

@B.C.B. – Montreal may be short of centres, but it should be pretty easy to find a 3rd line C to win a few faceoffs and kill a few penalties, shouldn’t it:)

As for the Stars…they are most certianly dinks. My favorite description was by Dennis in the last Stars GDT when he referred to Modano as “a chipmunk fuck”. Don’t know why that struck me as so funny, but it did.

LT – Got to admit I was expecting to see the first Stan Weir GDT of the season. What the hell are you saving Stan for?

If you need a good laugh while waiting for the game to start, head over to HF and check out the losers debating whether or not the Oil should just buy out Horcoff’s contract or whether they could maybe squeeze a 7th round draft pick out of some unsuspecting GM. Absolutely brilliant stuff.

99. Dennis says:

RG: it was because he Does look like a chipmunk fuck;)

The loss of Richards brings Dallas back into the pack, so I think there are 3 spots up for grabs. Agree with you that Van is a lock.

I also think that Anaheim is a mirage. Their place in the standings has been due to number of games played, not winning percentage all year.

Anaheim is only 2 games over .500 and I think their high water mark was 4 over.

So I have Dallas, Oil, CBJ and Minny competing for 3 spots.

God I hope I’m right.

*clap* *clap*

101. Derek says:

Well that does it, I can’t sit through a Safeway score and win commercial now without hoping Hbomb wins a million in order to finance his Hoover vacuum impression down Whyte.

102. Dennis says:

WG: Yeah, I think the Ducks are done as well. Their D’s lost a lot of depth and some of their older forwards just look old these days.

BTW, I saw this and it’s just too rick and I had to pass it along.

I was watching the pregame show on SN and they blurbed on JFJ and the only highlights they could find was a goal and an assist.

Both from intra-squad games.

Honestly, that killed me.

103. more green says:

Finally, the first game I get to watch with a quality stream. Should be a doozy. Clappity fricking clap clap.

Oilers look a step slow in the last few shifts after playing (I thought) pretty well early.

105. mc79hockey says:

Not sure if anyone else is watching the Stars feed but Razor is wrong: 16 of the 30 NHL teams are better on the PP on the road right now.

106. Lord Bob says:

If Jean-Francois Jacques just lowered his head, skated dead straight from his own blue line, and plowed Turco so hard they need to bring out the zamboni to get him off the ice, I’d take back everything bad I’d ever said about him.

107. Lord Bob says:

Wow. Roloson looks slow and tired tonight. Weak goal there. It’s almost like his absolute idiot of an head coach has been murdering him with ice time.

108. gerald78 says:

how the fuck does that go in dwayne?

109. danny says:

Cmon fkn Dallas.

Theyre still using that leader hockey theme?

Really?

I f’n HATE these douchebags.

110. gerald78 says:

comeon baby, this has to count

111. Derek says:

Did JFJ just score…?

112. Bank Shot says:

JFJ may have a point….

113. mc79hockey says:

Will the hockey gods give JFJ a point?!?!?

I’m not sure that there’s any issue here to be honest – if I high stick the puck, it hits someone on the other team and my teammate plays it, isn’t that cool?

114. danny says:

ok theres no way they can justify disallowing this.

unless its somehow 1999 again. then its definitely going against the oil.

115. Lord Bob says:

Jacques clearly fanned on it and it looks like it hit Reddox in the pads. Whether the sticks were above the crossbar should be of no consequence.

116. danny says:

ISBISTER!!!

117. relic says:

throw the frenchman in already… there’s your JFJ highlight.

118. Lord Bob says:

IT’S OVER!

IT’S OVER!

JEAN-FRANCOIS JACQUES GOT THE ASSIST!

119. gerald78 says:

big answering goal there. maybe dwayne can pick up his game now.

JACQUES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

121. Bank Shot says:

Jacques clearly fanned on it and it looks like it hit Reddox in the pads

Liar! It clearly hit a stray thread of tape on his stick when he was distarcted by a hottie in the stands.

122. Lord Bob says:

I still think Jacques fanned on it, though. Didn’t look to me like the puck changed direction. If I were JFJ I’d get another one just to be sure.

123. Steve says:

The real question is if this was a home game, would the announcer have made a big deal about it being his first NHL point? Or would that just be kind of insulting at this point?

124. gerald78 says:

toby looks pretty intimidating there going up against strudwick

125. Lord Bob says:

Did I just see 83-13-18?

Craig MacTavish, put down Grebeshkov’s LSD blotter! Step away from Grebeshkov’s LSD blotter!

If they take that point away from Jacques then all of Dallas are dinks.

Peckham with a 10min penalty. Who’s the blond behind MacT?

127. Lord Bob says:

Ethan Moreau is like Yvan Cournoyer, except Cournoyer used his speed to make plays and Moreau just uses his speed.

128. hunter1909 says:

Ethan Moreau is better than Bobby Orr ever was.

129. gerald78 says:

that period sucked, but the score could be worse, so if they can get some energy going i like their chances

130. striatic says:

what’s going on with Cole tonight?

yikes.

131. danny says:

Barch Sawada… they’ll get you everytime.

MacT needed a better gameplan.

132. Mr DeBakey says:

I wonder if MacT is easily distracted.

That blonde behind him appears to be the type to cause the weak plenty o’ problems.

133. hunter1909 says:

So its already 2-1 Dallas, so what am I wasting my time for lol.

134. Lord Bob says:

MacT needed a better gameplan.

I actually have a copy of MacTavish’s game notes, acquired from an anonymous but well-connected source. They make for interesting reading.

1) Play my 39-year-old goalie until his knees explode.
    2) Ethan Moreau is Bobby Hull.
    3) Lines are made to be changed.
    4) I will poison Dustin Penner’s food.

135. Lord Bob says:

One thing I like about the Oilers is that Rod Phillips would never, ever keep calling our goalie “Dwayne”.

136. Coach pb9617 says:

Three fourth line goals in one period. Has that happened since the Draper line 10 years ago?

137. gerald78 says:

need some favors from the leaves and the sens tonight.

In the bad old days Ox’s goal would have been disallowed.

I thought the Oilers outplayed the Stars that period. Just need the goalie to stop weak backhands and the game is in the bag.

Cole needs to stop trying to make soft passes at his own blue line.

139. Derek says:

Hahaha did anyone just see Stortini speaking from the bench while I believe Gene was speaking about.. autographs?

He’s much more colorful off camera that Zach.

140. Dennis says:

Chances: 6-9; 6-7 EV: 0-2 ST

24: 0/6.

Brutal period by 89 line – 26 in particular – and 22 logs his first SC of the year with that tipped assist.

Brutal second GA by Roli

141. Lord Bob says:

HORCOFF AND DIE!

142. Traktor says:

Here’s to Jacques – clang cling

143. Scott says:

Now that’s how to start a period.

Scorecoff!

144. Steve says:

Somebody check HF – that might have boosted Horcoff’s trade value to a 5th rounder!

145. Lord Bob says:

Okay, my feed must be malfunctioning. It looks like Moreau took a stupid, useless obstruction penalty. But that can’t be!

146. Ian says:

MOREAU

WHY, I OUGHTA

147. Bruce says:

Missed the first 5 minutes. Did Roli make a save at any point? That goal by Sawada was weak sauce. You can’t just say he would have stopped it if he was fresher, but he might have.

Cole was terrible in that period. His whole line is -2 with 1 shot among them.

Hemsky took a moronic slashing penalty 200 feet from his own net. Or is that a Moreau-nic penalty?

Speaking of which … ah shit. There goes Ethan back to the sinbin.

148. danny says:

wtf was that? he was breaking it up. Do your job ref.

149. Scott says:

Does it make more sense for him to be getting two?

150. gerald78 says:

it is such a joy to have such a smart player for a captain

151. mc79hockey says:

Anyone else wonder if Ethan Moreau bets large sums of money against the Oilers?

152. Bruce says:

Oferfuxsakes, Ethan. Just when your team got back in the game. Nice leadership, dumbass.

153. Lord Bob says:

I dunno. Large sums of money against your own team implies more own goals. I think Moreau is just shaving points while not realising that has no meaning in a hockey game.

154. Lord Bob says:

This is our captain.

155. mc79hockey says:

I don’t know that that was such a terrible GA. Pretty much a knuckleball.

156. reijo29 says:

Weak on Rollie’s part. Not a good game so far tonight. For some reason I think they might be over playing him.

157. Lord Bob says:

I have to admit, I like Reddox just a little bit more in every game he plays.

He’s basically Bizarro Ethan Moreau like that.

158. Bruce says:

ECHL goaltending tonight. Septuagenarians get tired … who knew?

I don’t know who I’m most pissed at right now … Roli, MacT or Moreau. But it’s close.

159. Lord Bob says:

Bruce, who plays Roloson every game? Who plays Moreau at all? It comes right back to the “leader”.

160. pboy says:

If MacT doesn’t bench this assfuck after taking TWO penalties like that, one game after he puts Cogs and Poo on the bench….. Oh fuck it, there is no chance he would ever bench the “Captain”. What a pathetic excuse for a coach we have.

161. Ian says:

This is our captain.

Sounds like one of those after-school anti-drug ads.

“This is your captain.” (normal egg)
    “This is your captain, Ethan Moreau.” (fried egg)
    “Don’t take stupid penalties.”

162. Lord Bob says:

Hey, look, it’s Ethan Moreau again!

Somewhere in the press box, Marc Pouliot is shouting obscenities and crying.

163. Matt N says:

What was with the whole sit in on the bench and be surprised when you get a penalty routine?

164. mc79hockey says:

Come on Bruce – I thought you goalies stuck together. Roli came across the net well on that one. Bad luck that Brunnstrom got bad wood on it and it slipped through.

165. Lord Bob says:

Maybe I’ll get my blog going again and name it “Free Marc Pouliot”.

166. mc79hockey says:

Lord Bob – do you comment on the MacLeans blog too?

167. Lord Bob says:

mc79: Yep. I hope there aren’t that many “Lord Bob”s out there.

168. reijo29 says:

Good shift by JFJ.
    Reddox really growing on me as well, as long as he’s in bottom 6.

169. mc79hockey says:

@Lord Bob: I’m pretty sure that’s Dennis’ posting name on bestiality sites but otherwise I think it’s pretty much yours.

170. Dennis says:

Not having the balls to bench 18 after countless dumb penalties makes MacT looking absolutely fucking gutless.

171. Lord Bob says:

mc79: So that’s what that guy meant when he offered me a little horse.

172. Scott says:

Penner back off the 1st PP unit again it seems. They did get a good chance there though.

173. RiversQ says:

I’d love to see Hemsky on the point so they could run 89-10-27 up front on the PP.

174. reijo29 says:

Why do the Oilers love the drop pass so much? I think Hemmer rubs off on the kids.
    Brutal giveaway Bobby.
    Rollie playing way better since goal #3.

Ethan Moreau’s nickname should be Jimmy Crack Corn.

176. Schitzo says:

FINALLY, we see the 18-51-46 line we all knew made sense.

Only problem is that they’re currently our 3rd line, not our 4th….

177. reijo29 says:

Maybe we can trade Cole to the Steelers instead of the Pens.
    Nice Tackle.

178. hunter1909 says:

Nice to see just how effective coach MacTavish’s has been, in coaching that bothersome offense away from Gagner’s game.

Scary Thought: MacT with soviet power over the 80′s Oilers.

Moreau playing a helluva game. Making sure he gets on that scorsheet, even if it is taking the big penalty. And best of all, he’s MacT’s captain.

179. Matt N says:

Moreau’s two minors (so far) tonite make him tied for 2nd in penalties taken behind Getzlaf.

180. Dennis says:

Ty: Don’t poke the bear on a night when 18′s at his absolute worst;)

Don’t look now but there are good things happening when 22′s on the ice and he absolutely flattened Barch before that guy took a run at 5′s knee.

But, seriously, MacT is gutless. You can’t sit everyone else down and let that dumb fuck Moreau take stupid penalty after stupid penalty.

Anyone in the press got the nuts to call him on it?

181. Bruce says:

Tyler: That’s two weak ones that have “slipped through”, half speed shots that have somehow found a hole. Stick on the ice was the solution that time.

182. hunter1909 says:

Okay Stars poweplay Oilers are playing like dolts well “the captain” and Cole’ lol

I dont want to waste my wime watching my free internet feed.

4-2

waived off
    oh brother.

183. Bruce says:

Now there’s a good stop.

184. hunter1909 says:

That’s time.

It’s been a long week.

Ethan. That sly bugger.

186. hunter1909 says:

Don’t you hate fans like Bruce? Always being so negative.

187. mc79hockey says:

Anyone in the press got the nuts to call him on it?

Considering he’s been doing this since 1998 and nobody’s said anything yet, I’m going with “no”.

188. pboy says:

Anyone in the press got the nuts to call him on it?

You already know the answer to that Dennis. If not MacT and I’m sure he won’t say a thing about it. I would love for a guy like Horcoff or Souray to tell the press that their leaders need to play a smarter game and stop taking penalties that are killing the team. Captain Penalty hasn’t had any problems throwing accusations around this year, he needs to be called out already.

189. RiversQ says:

Moreau should be taking Ribeiro’s number there. There’s no way you run the goalie and then slash a guy and throw a punch afterwards.

190. Coach pb9617 says:

Ethan Moreau would really help this team by sticking his head in a snowblower.

191. Matt N says:

Really liking Nilssons game lately. Lots of “compete”.

I don’t get the feeling EDM is good enough to overcome the Moreau 4 minute nutjob and it’s too bad because this is such a big game.

That’s a lot of effort to flush for one selfish player.

My bet is that if the Oilers lose this game MacT mentions Ethan in the postgame.

193. danny says:

it must be easy to be a prick when youre ugly and Ginger like Ott.

194. Lord Bob says:

I’m thinking something like “Ethan had a really great night but the team has to kill off those aggressive penalties for him. I’m benching Dustin Penner.”

195. RiversQ says:

Hey fuck you danny.

(I gotta stick up for ugly Ginger dudes, even Ott.)

196. danny says:

RQ, lets just you’re not up for any Mr Congeniality awards ;)

197. Coach pb9617 says:

Well, the first sign of Penner to the fourth line or press box is Penner off of the power play.

He’s off of the power play.

I’ve never seen a team where the captain AND coach are holding the team hostage.

198. striatic says:

It’d be nice to see the team rally.

It has been such a frustrating game that I don’t expect it, but they’re certainly within reach.

With no help from Ottawa tonight, it’d be a shame for the oilers to give up when they are only, and fortunately, one goal down.

199. Lord Bob says:

Huge night for the Western Conference tonight on the out-of-town scoreboard. God, we need this one.

200. Bruce says:

Don’t you hate fans like Bruce? Always being so negative.

Hunter: just callin’ what I see, good and bad. Just because I see Roli make a bad play doesn’t mean I think he’s a bad goalie. Just because I see MacT make a questionable personnel decision doesn’t mean I thin he’s a bad coach. Just because I mention Moreau took a bad penalty or 200 doesn’t mean that I think he’s a … actually, yes, it does. Yes I do. I’ve seen enough.

Newer Comments »