Oilers at Wild, G53/08-09

Of all the things that are impressive about Prince, the one thing that always stood out for me is the number of women who moved to his town to be near him.

I mean, come the hell on. What’s he got.. ah forget it.

Anyway, Prince and John Madden and lots of lakes and beautiful scenery are famous things about Minnesota and since he wrote the 1960′s we should also mention Robert Zimmerman.

The Oilers roll into Minnesota today and play the Wild. Win and they’re back in the top 8 with some games in hand on a few teams ahead of them. Lose and it’s back to the dungeon.

I’m reminded of that old Bob Dylan song “Memphis Blues Again”: “Oh, Mama, can this really be the end, To be stuck inside of Mobile With the Memphis blues again.”

Don’t ask me why it fits, it just does.

224 Responses to "Oilers at Wild, G53/08-09"

« Older Comments
  1. Ribs says:

Jacques is playing.

2. Schitzo says:

Man, Hemmer is broken. What the heck was that shootout attempt?

3. Bruce says:

Ice time is kind of interesting:

Grebeshkov 29:26

Cogliano 18:04

Pouliot 11:19
    Brodziak 10:21
    Stortini 9:46
    Reddox 7:05
    MacIntyre 3:10

That’s the third time this week Sam has led all forwards in TOI. Clearly he’s MacT’s go to guy in Horc’s absence.

4. HBomb says:

Something’s wrong with Hemsky. He’s been junk the last four games.

I seem to remember him getting run over by Byfuglien (sp?) on Tuesday night against Chicago. Relapse?

5. HBomb says:

Clearly he’s MacT’s go to guy in Horc’s absence.

Might as well throw him in the deep end. The sooner he can handle more than ultra-protected minutes (and kick ass playing said minutes), the sooner this team contends.

Within 2 years, I think the 1/2 punch of Horcoff/Gagner is going to be just damn skippy.

6. Temujin says:

Curse these three point games.

7. Lord Bob says:

Cogliano has got, got, got to play left wing in the NHL. The Oilers have too many centres for somebody to not make the move and Cogliano, perhaps the worst regular faceoff man we’ve ever had, is the obvious candidate.

There’s no reason even on paper why, say, 13-51-34 can’t be a solid shutdown line by the end of the year. But we have to get Cogliano into that position first.

8. HBomb says:

I’d prefer 78 at center there and 51 with 46 (this duo works well) with 18 on LW.

9. Traktor says:

“Something’s wrong with Hemsky.”

He’s one of the best players in the world and he’s playing with Ethan Moreau…because the coach has a vendetta against Penner. Really, what’s the point of trying when there is no light at the end of the tunnel. The writing is on the wall for all the fans and I’m sure the players are no different.

10. HBomb says:

Yes, Traktor, there’s no doubt. Sticking Moreau with Hemsky and Cogliano is just plain dumb.

This team would be better off (when Horcoff and Pisani get back) if MacT would see the light and just stick 18-51-46 together. That would be a fine fourth line.

11. Temujin says:

Hemsky for Sanford, straight up.

12. mc79hockey says:

I missed the last 10 and OT, as I went out for a very nice dinner but still…hanging around, hanging around…team’s got alligator blood.

13. Dennis says:

Last time in Minny I had the chances at EV as 10-11 and today I had them as 12-17. The ST had a chance to help us today considering the early 44 goal but Roli looked every one of his 4-0 years when he tried to go cross-crease on the SH goal, no?

That’s not to give him all the blame but the first goal was shit and he was slow on the second goal.

Up front the Oilers are busting through all kinds of personal slumps and that 15-9-1 stretch now close to being long forgotten.

14. Lord Bob says:

51 and 78 are almost interchangable on the three and four lines, so long as they don’t have to play any higher than that. I think Brodziak’s the more complete player right now, so I’d give him the big shutdown minutes, but I had Pouliot there in pencil for a little while.

15. bookie says:

its clear that Hemsky is just a hack that is carried along by Horcoff and Penner…

16. RiversQ says:

Hemsky sure looks fucking knackered to me.

Maybe 22 min per game is not in the cards for Ales?

17. Black Dog says:

Maybe he got dinged, Hemsky that is. Certainly seems like.

18. Fake Craig McTavish says:

mc79hockey said…

The alligator blood is seeping gently through the skin Tyler.

Dallas is pulling away and Vancouver is about to do the same.

Oilers, Minnesota, Anaheim, Columbus and LA waiting to catch the bouquet.

My money is on the Wild and Jackets.

19. Black Dog says:

Fake MacT – Mason out with mono.

The Kings have won, what, 7 in a row?

Kings and Wild. The next two weeks sink the Oilers once and for all.

20. Fake Craig McTavish says:

Black Dog said…
    Fake MacT – Mason out with mono.

The Kings have won, what, 7 in a row?

Kings and Wild. The next two weeks sink the Oilers once and for all.

I expect it won’t take that long.

21. mc79hockey says:

@FCM: I don’t disagree that that will happen and, on talent, think that that’s probably about right. Of course it’s always easier to feel like this when the team is coming off three in four nights, one of which was a sure loser in DET (I was thinking yesterday afternoon that I wished I’d drove down…good call not doing so).

Crazy things happen in small samples though and I’m impressed that this team has been able to do enough to get it to 29 games to go and still right in the playoff race. On talent, I don’t think that they’re there yet but they’re better than last year’s bunch and the remaining games are starting to get so few that anything can happen.

By my count, 6 of their next 17 are against teams currently in playoff positions. 10 of their last 12 are against teams currently in playoff positions. I expect them to fall just short but I don’t think that the collapse will happen until later in the year.

22. Schitzo says:

I don’t think that the collapse will happen until later in the year.

And that’s pretty much the worst possible outcome. We’re going to end up close enough to be buyers, with absolutely nothing to show for it come the middle of April.

23. Fake Craig McTavish says:

Schitzo said…
    I don’t think that the collapse will happen until later in the year.

Fears allayed I expect.

A loss to Montreal and another in LA should pretty much sink the Guppy.

« Older Comments