Blues at Oilers, G69/08-09

This is Frank St. Marseille. I believe that’s Wayne Merrick (#20) checking him and #16 was probably Pierre Plante. I don’t have a number but I think it’s Steve Durbano (although I’m not sure he wore an “A”) in background which would make this 1973 or 1974. This photo should be of Frank in a Blues uniform, but all I could find were staged shots and this one is so wonderful (the Kings uniform, Frank’s helmet, etc).

Before the 1967 expansion draft, St. Marseille was probably the best player in the IHL. That league would have been behind the AHL, WHL (the old pro league) and the CPHL among minor leagues at that time. I’ve read several references from the era that considered the IHL and EHL semi-pro leagues although the actual quality is unknown.

This is how St. Marseille got to the show. The Douglas Hunter book Scotty Bowman: A Life In Hockey (pages 106 and 107): “Two years earlier (1965), Lynn Patrick (the Blues GM at expansion) had been managing the Los Angeles Blades of the WHL (pro) league when he received a letter from St. Marseille’s brother, a singer in town. The letter extolled the skills of Frank, who was playing for Port Huron of the IHL. Frank’s brother urged Patrick to give him a tryout; Frank would pay his own expenses to Los Angeles and stay with his brother.

Patrick never bothered replying, but then started noticing Frank’s name in the lists of the top IHL scorers (note: probably the Hockey News, who gave weekly coverage of the IHL and EHL). When Patrick was hired to put the Blues together, he decided he should have a look at this playmaking right winger. (Scotty) Bowman scouted him and pronounced him the Gordie Howe of the IHL. When Patrick and Bowman saw him play in the IHL All-Star game, they were disappointed in his performance but decided he still merited attention. Patrick and Bowman took Sid Salomon III on his first scouting trip to see St. Marseille play in Toledo. No NHL team had his rights: he was 28 years old. After the game they got St. Marseille’s signature on an “A” form, which committed both parties to nothing more than St. Marseille coming to the Blues first training camp.

“I thought he was the best player at our training camp,” Patrick would recall. “Scotty and I talked it over and decided that he can’t be as good as he seems to be and we decided to send him to our training camp in Kansas City and see what happens.”

Note: They called him up November 23, 1967 and he played in the show for a decade.

I love hockey stories like that one. Baseball has thousands of stories about pitchers so addled they chased fire engines during their off days, but hockey has never been able to get the attention of enough people to grow the legend of a lounge singer in Los Angeles who wrote a letter and made his brother a star. They can make a movie about a Shark who searches out a specific family across oceans, but they can’t make this one? They could call it “A Saint in the City of Angels.”

Just saying. :-)

—-

I don’t know what to say about tonight’s game. The Blues are coming on strong and the Oilers are still figuring out their depth chart. The Oilers could outplay St. Louis at EVs and still lose because of special teams.

Still, there’s Gagner coming on a little and Ales Hemsky’s last few games are like watching Tim Raines after hitting two line drive outs and being 0-for-12 about 1986. You know it’s coming, it’s just a matter of when.

349 Responses to "Blues at Oilers, G69/08-09"

Newer Comments »
  1. bookie says:

I don’t know what to write either LT.

2. hunter1909 says:

Its funny as fuck reading these baseball references – the sure sign of a man distracted from hockey after trying to be an Oilers fan for so long.

I recall reading a book about Ghengis Khan and there was supposed to have been this chick who could basically take on and defeat ten men at a time. Imagine if someone like that emerged from women’s hockey and made the NHL?

Hunter: You see, that’s the difference between us. I’ve never had to try being an Oilers fan, it’s a natural thing.

As for the baseball references, they’ve been a staple since the start of the blog and have to do with that sport being my first love.

bookie: Time to cheer like mad and hope for a big break.

4. oilerdago says:

As dissapointing as I’ve been w/MacT’s moves this season I still can’t keep from rooting this team on.

But the season is slipping through their fingers and they’re on the verge of being pushed over a cliff.

My sense is a loss tonight and you can probably kiss this season goodbye. Dallas has passed them, Nashville has too and St. Louis does with a win.

While the difference is a couple of points in the standings, the bigger difference is player management and the coach is grasping at straws.

Please come out tonight and prove me wrong.

5. knighttown says:

I gotta say, I like the sound of the lines tonight.

10-19-83
    89-12-21
    13-85-34
    51-18-27

Anything with 18 away from 13 is good in my books.

I also LOVE the power play lines

89-27-83
    37-44

10-12-19
    21-77

I’ve looked at the special team pretty closely and this team needs to start drawing a bunch of penalties. When they get only 2 or 3 power plays a night, each seems more crucial and they press and press until the sticks are like pulp. We need a Giguere shit fit, circa 2006. Doubt that happens against what seems to be a very disciplined Blues team.

I’d love to see the power play go 1-for-7 or 2-for-10 so each special teams moment doesn’t seem so “special”.

6. Alice says:

LT, That was just a great read.

I guess the takeaway is we hope there’s a feel-good story lurking somewhere in our lineup. It just doesn’t look like his name is Kotalik.

7. Yeti says:

Hunter – I don’t think Margaret Thatcher ever tried playing hockey, but she could be the chick you read about. As a coach, I fancy she could be the one person who’d have gotten Dustin Penner playing with fire in his belly! God knows if there would be anything left of the Oilers afterwards, though.

There’s only one thing to say about tonight’s game. This is the one where they play well and win strong to get everyone’s hopes up again. Don’t stop believing…

8. PDO says:

Guaranteed win night baby.

9. digger says:

So sad, yet so very true.

What an indictment of this team that their forward lines are no more settled than they were 5 MONTHS ago…and it’s not like it’s a forward ranks decimated by injury which would’ve necessitated such upheaval.

From lines 1 through 4, there is nothing that MacT looks comfortable with as a 3 man unit.

It’s just a mess, and leaves little hope that this team would be nothing more than a minor speed bump for SJ/Det assuming they could even make the playoffs.

Miracles can happen, but they don’t happen very often.

10. Coach pb9617 says:

Damn “saw him good” guys are always ignoring the numbers.

11. Swabbubba says:

LT cannot agree more on the Hunter statement. No being a fan does not mean that you have to get all scientific on the team. They are your team through thick and thin through good times & bad. You know this team is trying but is getting no love right now.
    So Hunter maybe get on the bandwagon that is the Washington. True fans question but will still cheer the on ice product. Are better days ahead I think so will we ever get there who knows but it is part of the journey.
    I am Oiler Fan… I think it is because I like the edge… we always have the playoff chase to cheer for..
    Go Oilers….
    RIP Ken MacRae(old friend who died in crash off coast Nfld. last week)

12. Smytty777 says:

I feel good about tonight’s game, the Oilers seem incapable of winning while in a playoff spot. Since they are starting the day in 9th, I see no reason not to be optimistic.

13. HBomb says:

Irish car bomb:

One half pint of Guinness
    One shot of irish whiskey

Drop whiskey into pint, and chug.

Repeat whenever MacT does something head-scratching during tonight’s game.

14. Icecastles says:

I think this will be the first non PPV game that I’ve given a miss this year.

Reasons:
    1 – I seem to be tuning out for more and more of the games lately – I’ve barely stayed in the room for half of the last three games.

2 – They have become an agonizingly dull team to watch, even when they win. One of the things I have always loved about the Oil is their style of hockey – fast and exciting, even when they loose. That seems to be completely abandoned this year. Not just in terms of effort or success, but even in terms of how they approach their games. Though now that I think about it, I’m not sure I could define what their style of play is anymore… I wonder if they could.

3 – The decision-making behind the bench has gotten to the point of completely nonsensical. The coach plays them like an ill-conceived science experiment, not like a coach who is trying to win.

4 – There is no passion in their game anymore. As with point 2, even when they win, they seem to fluke and stumble into a win. That’s not exciting. I can’t recall the last time I jumped up and cheered at a goal… it’s been more than a few games.

5 – I am increasingly coming to believe that wins at this point are postponing the inevitable for a team that just doesn’t have what it takes. Lets face it – the only reason they are in contention at this point is that there are a bunch of other teams in the west who suck as bad as the Oil this year. Based on effort, heart and battle level they just don’t deserve to make the playoffs.

Also, I have four essays due by Friday. So I’m rationalizing. Fuck, I hope they can win this one.

15. Temujin says:

I don’t ever remember reading about that but I wouldn’t be surprised if it’s true. After all, wimmen kicking ass and taking names was pretty much par for the course.

It always seems funny to me when Oiler fans say those kinds of things. Especially in light of history (Oilers squeaking into the 7th or 8th seed on the last week of the season).
    If Vancouver was having the season the Oilers have now, we’d be off the wagon, calling for Luongo’s head, wishing Vignault’s death, and pining for the glory days of Linden and the West Coast Express (as though they single-handedly lead us to ten Cups).

Good grief people. Even a L in regulation does not spell the end. Especially so if Vancouver beats the Stars.

But hey, if you wanna be all doom and gloom, by all means. It’s not like I really want to stop you or anything :-0

16. bookie says:

The reality is that MacT is not comfortable with the mix given him. With that noted, he has responded very poorly to what he perceives as a bad situation. He has been panicky when we have needed a calm guiding force at the helm.

He truly believes that there are ‘magic’ line combinations, but the problem with this theory is that it hasn’t worked. So maybe the magic lies in patience.

Anyway, I probably should’t waste time posting the same message… Lets see what happens tonight.

17. Black Dog says:

LT – this post has given me hope; I’m having my kids start a letter writing campaign on my behalf immediately. Wish me luck!

We actually lived in Clearwater when that high school teacher won a job as a reliever. Great stories.

As for tonight, well I think they lose the game (but the Blues are not going to make it – schedule is too tough).

I think this is the end of the MacT era right now. Its getting ugly.

18. hunter1909 says:

Yeah I guess I’m not a real fan. After all, I question the team to the point where I get attacked from all and sundry, who delight in picking apart my words like so many law students, each delighting in the atomic sized gaps of logic which I regularly put forth.

And I suppose growing up and loving the team as a small child watching the team doesn’t qualify me for “natural” fandom either, not unless I am prepared to cheer them, even when for the past near generation(20 years) they’re simply an AHL team in drag.

19. devin says:

Temujin – I think the negativity stems from our knowledge that this team is not a good one. We know that we’ll have to back into the playoffs with a little luck. It’s not like we’re putting up a mediocre record with poor S/SV% or something — this team is mediocre. And it’s hard as a fan to accept that and accept that we probably don’t deserve a playoff spot. That and, we have a coach who doesn’t seem to give a shit.

20. Jonathan Willis says:

Great read, LT. And thanks for the lesson in Central Asian history, Temujin – it’s long been a weak area for me ;)

This is rather off-topic from the doom and gloom (although, I should note that as a contrarian I’m feeling really optimistic right now – the Oilers have points in 8 of their lastten, after all), but have you seen Puck Prospectus?

The latest article by Iain Fyffe sounded like something you might have written, and started me thinking. I’m not naturally a baseball guy, but fgrom what I’ve picked up via osmosis it seems that the biggest thing that sabremeticians identified that everyone else was missing was on-base percentage. There were other things, but that was really key, yes (if not, let me know – I’m a fish out of water in baseball). This isn’t a new idea, but I’ve never really viewed it as dramatically as I am this morning – but what if the NHL equivalent is something as simple as size?

I’m floating a balloon here, so feel free to pop it ;)

21. Jonathan Willis says:

Forgive the incoherence of the above comment, I’m irrationally cheerful this morning and need to add ;) to everything I write.

;)

22. Coach pb9617 says:

Since the coach is changing up the power play and getting Penner where he belongs (for at least one shift, we’ll see how that goes), why not change the PK as well?

Here is some stuff taken from Behind The Net and Dennis’ chances data for the PK. I’ve broken the data out into per four mins of PK time, since that is the high end of what a regular PKer will play. It shows some interesting if limited things about the PK, I think. Moreau, again, stinks. Bruce noticed that somehow, the kids that are playing almost no minutes are better in all categories than the guys logging minutes. Small sample size or something else?

Moreau stinks at evens, and stinks on the PK. He really should be getting Stortini TOI. Pouliot, much like on the PP does really well in these limited samples and deserves at least a chance at expanded special team’s time. Smid also does comparably well to the rest of the d corps and probably deserves a look in place of any time that Grebs gets.

23. gogliano says:

That is one hell of a drag costume they put on Ales Hemsky.

24. quain says:

Hemsky and Souray not out for morning skate. Smid is. I understand Souray skipping it, as he’s nursing a minor injury, but Hemsky missing is probably not the best sign.

25. Coach pb9617 says:

Don’t stop believing…

Hall and Oates is plenty, Journey would make a man root for the Wild.

“Outshot, outplayed, outchanced, we suck on the power play and suck worse on the penalty kill and our lines change by the minute. Thank god for a one hundred and thirty seven year old goalie! We’re your Edmonton Oilers”

26. Scott says:

Lowetide, thanks for the wonderful read this morning. Very enjoyable indeed. I think the Oilers win tonight. They’ve been pointing in the right direction for the last few games and they had an opportunity for two consecutive days of practice so the new lines should come out with some understanding of what they need to do to succeed.

I’m nearly certain this results from the 5v3 time logged by the top guys which isn’t filtered out of the chance data. Guys like Horc, Souray and Staios will take a big hit as a result. The sample size is small as well.

No coach believes in “magic” line combinations. MacTavish is tweaking the forward line-up in ways that are mostly good:

1. Kotalik off the first line is good.
    2. Moreau to the fourth line is good.
    3. Trying O’Sullivan on the first line is good.
    4. Putting Kotalik into a position to succeed isn’t good but isn’t bad either. It’s certainly understandable.
    5. Reddox in on the third line is the only one I think is a manifestly poor call, but MacT does have Penner and Moreau to put in his place if he struggles so it could work out.

Why complain about this? When you bring in two new forwards at the trade deadline there will inevitably be some line mixing.

27. Traktor says:

Whether MacT is trying for a 3rd line checking option or a 3rd line that can score Liam Reddox over Dustin Penner makes zero sense. ZERO.

As always, I’ll be cheering for the opposition; cheering for Edmonton is like hoping that KK sucks out against AA.

Reddox is on the “third” line, because Brodziak, Moreau, and Penner are a line for defensive zone faceoffs. Throwing out Brodziak with Stortini and Reddox failed miserably in Montreal, so he needs reliable wingers for Brodziak for d-zone faceoffs.

29. bookie says:

I agree that the changes are good, but have little confidence that they will survive one period. I like MacT, but he refuses to let a line get any chemistry. He thinks that line chemestry is like a formula, if you just put the right three together, it will click. He frequently says this! He NEVER says something like “By giving them a few games together we were hoping to see them develop some chemistry”. He clearly does not beleive in developing chemistry, he believes in ‘finding’ it. That to me, is pretty much the same as trying to find the magic combination.

My complaint has nothing to do with the changes that have resulted since the trades, but a history of constant reshuffling. This reshuffling does not only take place between games, but it is not unusual for MacT to change the lineup 3-4 times per game. I know that line changes are the norm in the NHL, bot not at this frequency. I believe that the rapid changing of lines destroys chemestry and makes practice meaningless.

Other teams have difference strategies for different lines due to their skill set. Because the Oilers have no lines (just random player assignments), they all are forced into playing the same system, regardless of whether they are out there with REddox or Hemsky…

30. Traktor says:

So we sacrifice our 2nd best goal scorer (Cogliano) and our best checking winger so that Penner can play 8 minutes on the 4th line?

Couldn’t we just move Pouliot on the 4th line with Brodziak and Moreau and then give Cogliano an actual NHLer to play with?

31. Scott says:

But he demonstrates this frequently. This year he gave some time to Cole to develop chemistry with Hemsky and Horcoff. He just did the same with Kotalik for a period of a few games. Moreau-Cogliano-Pouliot were together for quite some time earlier this season to mesh into a unit. Gagner and Cole were able to develop chemistry over a period of time. Admittedly the winger was changing somewhat more frequently, but those two were a constant. He gave the kid line a few games to gel at the start of the year. He may not say it (I’m not sure) but he does it frequently. Now, he also takes apart combinations that have worked well at times, sometimes with a passable reason, sometimes without.

I can see the issue you have with Cogs playing with little help but Pisani surely hasn’t been our best checking winger this season. Dude is getting killed.

32. Traktor says:

“Pisani surely hasn’t been our best checking winger this season”

Who would you send out with a minute left protecting a lead?

Behindthenet credits him tied with Horcoff with the toughest competition faced and he has a even GF/GA/60 ratio.

What other checking wingers do we have?

Moreau is -0.23

Reddox is -0.64
    Stortini is -0.71

Both those guys have played much easier comp too.

Brodziak and Pouliot both have a negative deferential playing easier minutes.

The only winger who I would rank as good as Pisani is Dustin Penner and he is a LW. Maybe I should have said Pisani is our best checking RW instead.

Bottom line is we’re playing our most opportunistic goal scorer and our best checking RWer with a guy who has 5 career assists and the worst Corsi out of any regular.

33. geowal says:

Good short read. I’d never come across the female rule part of that before.
    Had to know the guy calling himself Temujin would have to comment on a Genghis Khan reference. :)

34. Ken says:

Is that Robert dancing a St. Paddy’s day jig? http://oilers.nhl.com/stpatricksday

35. Scott says:

Brodziak and Pouliot both have a negative deferential playing easier minutes.

I think the idea that Pisani has played tougher minutes than Brodziak is wrong. Easier competition perhaps, but always starting in the wrong end of the rink. If we’re going to talk about Corsi, Pisani’s is terrible. Honestly, if we’re protecting a lead late in the game I’d be tempted to stick with Penner, Horcoff and Hemsky if they’ve been playing together though I can understand why the coach substitutes Brodziak in at LW in those situations.

36. Traktor says:

Hemsky over Pisani? Interesting.

The old “the best defense is a good offense” makes Hemsky look like a 2way player but when the puck is already in our zone I’m not sure he’s the guy I want out there protecting a lead.

37. quain says:

Your dumb statistical measure of the day. First column is player number, second column is percentage of total draws in the defensive zone, third column is percentage of offensive+defensive zone draws in the defensive zone.

51 / 46.8% / 69.0%
    10 / 39.3% / 60.2%
    46 / 35.8% / 57.5%
    85 / 32.4% / 54.2%
    34 / 30.4% / 50.6%
    18 / 30.4% / 52.3%
    83 / 30.2% / 50.5%
    27 / 29.1% / 47.9%
    89 / 27.9% / 45.1%
    26 / 27.4% / 46.7%
    12 / 27.1% / 43.7%
    78 / 26.5% / 47.8%
    13 / 26.0% / 42.9%

I culled out the new guys and some call-ups because the amount of draws was nearly insignificant… although it’s worth mentioning that MacT probably trusts Schremp more defensively than Kotalik.

MacT needs a checking line, because he’s treating the 85-51-46 line, when it’s together, as one… and they’ve been found lacking.

38. Alice says:

In all the chatter, I think we’re overlooking Traktor’s bottom 6, which would be [ I think he means, anyway ]

13-27-34
    51-18-78

Is this better than

13-85-34
    51-18-27
    ?

Methinks yes, he’s right. Actually, a roster with Poo in and Reddox out is probably going to be plus, no knock intended against the guy.

39. Coach pb9617 says:

A roster with Pouliot next to Gagner is a plus, considering what’s been going on lately. I don’t get that change at all.

Add to that Pouliot’s positive performance in small sample sizes on special teams and the guy should have long ago qualified for regular duty without fear of the MacBus running him down.

40. Scott says:

I know that you won't like the change at all, but it's designed to put Kotalik in a position to succeed. He didn't succeed going PvP with H&H so now they'll try him with Gagner – one of the team's best offensive players – against the soft. I'd prefer Kotalik sitting or on the fourth line myself but I can understand why they'd want to give him a chance to succeed. If they traded for him they obviously rate him well.

Actually, a roster with Poo in and Reddox out is probably going to be plus

To me this is it. Pouliot > Reddox so any lineup that does that is going to be better. That's the one change I'm confused by.

41. Traktor says:

It doesn’t happen often but I’ll concede I was wrong – Brodziak has played tougher minutes. If I only would have used “competition” instead I could have covered my tracks :)

But of course there’s guys like quain who wait for even the littlest crack in the door so he can barge in let me know how wrong I am.

Even worse is my fault is from the MacTavish family of screw ups; Self-Inflicted – why I was comparing Brodziak to all the other wingers I don’t know.

Alice:

That’s what I was gunning for in the bottom 6.

I get that MacTavish wants a reliable 2nd tough sledding line.

What I don’t understand is why he has to piss on our 3rd line to make it happen.

42. Coach pb9617 says:

I’d prefer Kotalik sitting or on the fourth line myself but I can understand why they’d want to give him a chance to succeed. If they traded for him they obviously rate him well.

I’d prefer Satan on the fourth line :)

That’s the one change I’m confused by.

That little guy is the hardest worker.

43. quain says:

What the hell are you talking about? I don’t think I’ve addressed anything even remotely in your direction since we had an argument about Horcoff two or three months ago.

I’m assuming you somehow drew a slight out of me posting the draw percentages right after you posted. I’m not sure how ‘I think Pisani is a better shutdown wing than Hemsky’ and ‘here’s a list of every forward on the team and their draw percentages’ relate, especially when Pisani outranks Hemsky in the measure. But I apologize profusely.

I’m curious though: do you sometimes think that Gene Principe is talking only to you?

44. Scott says:

I’d prefer Satan on the fourth line :)

Seriously. That non-claim was mighty strange made stranger by the Kotalik pick-up.

45. Traktor says:

You prefaced your post that was directed at my earlier post with “dumb stat of the day”.

The only thing dumb about that stat is if you can’t understand it, right?

Whatever.

46. docweb says:

My wife and I went to both of the last games. I am starting to develop a low level of tolerance and a high level of frustration with what is happening.

Special teams are killing us as everyone knows and nothing seems to change to make it any better.

On the plus side…since I have been reading the “sphere” I can honestly say that the way I watch and enjoy games has really changed. Armed with info that I think fans only get here, you can go to games with a whole new level of appreciation for what is going on at ice level.

And for that I’d like to thank everyone here.

Seriously.

If I can make use of the info here imagine what a “real” hockey person should be able to do with it.

47. quain says:

Uh.

I do that every other GDT. Normally it’s the “Your fun fact of the day” but, because it was a statistic measure and it was a completely pointless refinement of Def. FO – Off. FO, I called it ‘dumb,’ because it was dumb. But I ran Vic’s script which takes a few minutes, and it was updated for the season-to-date, so I figured someone might see value in it, or at least appreciate not having to run it themselves.

Again: You’re getting really angry at me for posting something that did nothing at all to refute or advance your point. Hemsky and Pisani are a deadlock in terms of percentage of face-offs in the defensive zone. The only way that can rile your dander is if you think I’m using MacT’s decision on who to send into the defensive zone to refute your decision… I know what you think of MacT, I’m not going to use his brainwaves to make you think you’re wrong.

On a serious note: It wasn’t aimed at you because I’m not sure if I feel a guy like Pisani (who can defend well) or a guy like Hemsky (who can possess and move the puck) is better suited in that situation. Whatever I posted had zero relevence to your and Scott’s discussion, so quit the bullshit attacks on me.

48. Thrillho says:

Excellent read LT. Reminds me why I come here every day. The doom and gloom can get depressing after a while. It gets to you after a while, even when you’re reading the comments through blue and copper coloured glasses…

I’m looking forward to seeing a strong effort tonight. In my eyes, a big W tonight would do a lot to kick start this team.

A word about the lines. Me, I like them. I think the 4th is going to have a strong game. I like the idea of rotating in the spare guys every now and then…how could you not be hungry after being out for a few?!

49. doritogrande says:

Irish car bomb:

One half pint of Guinness
    One shot of irish whiskey

Drop whiskey into pint, and chug.

Repeat whenever MacT does something head-scratching during tonight’s game.

Now here’s one I have experience with. Though our derivation is one half shot each of irish whiskey and irish cream (Ex: Baileys) in said shot-glass. Not quite as toxic, but goes down like chocolate milk.

In honour of the day, I provide today’s drink of choice:

The “Get me through Boreal Ecol”

- One hip-flask shot Dr. McGuilicuddy’s Fireball Whiskey.

- Repeat every 10 minutes, or when you begin to notice signs of nodding off.

- Struggle through next class involving mathematical equations.

50. NormanMendoza says:

So LT, if they win tonight and next game, are you going to bring out the Stan Weir?

51. Schitzo says:

Layered drink:

Grand Marnier Orange (top)
    Baileys
    Creme de menthe (bottom)

Creates an irish flag.

52. CrazyCoach says:

Hey LT,

I remember watching Raines in those days and yes, you just knew SOMETHING was going to happen.

Here’s hoping that 6 goal night is coming for Hemmer.

53. Dennis says:

85′s gone 15/9 the last two games in chances for/against and he’s had four chances himself directed towards the net.

So, yeah, maybe he’s due. I’m not gonna give up on the guy but I’m looking for him to start on a tear before I start pimping it. Fuck, I’ll even take him jumpstarting the PP bus.

As a team, the Oil have now gone three straight games outchancing the opp at EV so that’s something that says the arrows are about to go in the right direction. In fact, if we could cut say .5 ST goals a night, we’d be OK right now.

Overall, though, Horc made some comments about how this whole drive thing isn’t as fun as it used to be and I”m in the same place. It’s the same old rebuilding-while-trying-to-win thing and we’re doing it while playing guys like Gagner and Cogliano and not Crosby and Malkin.

Plus, for me personally, there’s always a disconnect when I no longer believe in the coaching. I’d been leaning that way for awhile and then I jumped ship after the OTL in Mtl and it’s just continued on with that theme. Right now it’s the approach on the PK that’s killing me and I honestly believe MAcT isn’t doing everything he needs to do or could be doing to ensure that unit doesn’t come being an eyesore. I’ve long made peace with the fact we’re likely never to have an elite PP but you could always count on the PK.

Also, it would be nice to have some wins to discuss for a change.

54. Bruce says:

No need getting tied up in the Oilers ebbs and woes during another excruciating stretch drive. I have the mathematical formula figured out:

IF = Oilers begin game day in 8th place or higher, THEN = Loss

IF = Oilers begin game day in 9th place or lower, THEN = Win

Somebody posted words to that effect a while back, it had the ring of truth so I have followed it since and it has been 100% accurate. Thus I am pleased Nashville won last night, as the 9th-place Oilers will be as motivated as the 8th-place Oilers are complacent. :)

So now that I rest peacefully in the sanguine knowledge that we’re goona win tonight, a couple of gentle questions:

1) Have any of tonight’s four lines ever played together before?

And, 2) what the hell kind of question is that to be asking 70 games into a season of a team that doesn’t have 4 or 5 forwards in sick bay?

55. Traktor says:

“Right now it’s the approach on the PK that’s killing me”

What do you mean? The approach is just fine according to MacT.

“The strategy’s there, it’s just the execution. We need to execute better in those situations.” – Craig MacTavish

56. Bruce says:

Dennis: Surely you mean 83. 85 was 0-6 in his last outing.

57. HBomb says:

Also, it would be nice to have some wins to discuss for a change.

I just want to rock out to Hall & Oates.

58. CrazyCoach says:

I agree with you Dennis. It would be nice to discuss a winning streak for once in here.

I think I have made my feelings known a long time ago on MacT’s coaching as have others, so it is probably a moot point at this time.

I guess like a lot of you, especially those of us who were in our teens and early 20′s when the Oilers were the envy of the league, we absolutely hate what has happened to this team. The lack of action from the front office in obtaining the right players, the seeming unwillingness of the coaching staff to crack open Lloyd Percival’s book, and players who just don’t seem to give a rats ass.

It just goes on and on.

When does it stop?

59. Art Vandelay says:

If the mid-90s red-diagonal Blues jersey can be blamed on Harry Ornest’s wife (do I have that right?) who can we blame for that Kings abomination?

I mean really. Solid yellow. On what planet did that make sense? How much acid did hippies drop in the 60s anyway?

60. Bruce says:

LT: Nice post. There were a lot of feelgood stories in 1967-68, lots of guys who had been held back by the Original Six all got their shot and a lot of them made pretty good of it. Guys like Les Binkley, Bill White, Wayne Connolly, Bill Goldsworthy, Red Berenson, and many more.

Frank St. Marseille was effective right away with the Blues, posting decent offensive numbers with healthy plus ratings and helping his club win the Western Division championship three years running. He was one Blue that showed well in those mismatched Stanley Cup Finals against the Habs and Bruins.

Thanks for the backstory.

61. CrazyCoach says:

Those yellows Kings jerseys were absolutely the worst. However, I liked their dark purple road unis though.

62. hunter1909 says:

Yeah Hemsky I forgot. The superstar lmao.

I thought superstars made their team mates better?

Oilers are a mediocre bunch of middling talents, washed out has been pluggers, and are ‘managed’ by an old boys network standing on the shoulders of a team so long gone and far away we might as well be discussing Martians.

But of course I cannot be a true fan, as I dare criticise this sickening disgusting state of affairs.

63. Jonathan Willis says:

Hunter: You still seem to have your nose out of joint from LT’s comment this morning. I’d just like to remind you that you were the one who said that he was “trying” to be an Oilers fan (based on LT’s baseball references – which is funny since he’s been doing that for as long as I can recall).

Feel free to disregard this, but you might try not playing the martyr – there’s enough drama on the internet already.

64. Showerhead says:

So it’s been a week since I bragged all morning about how I was finally going to catch a game and then spent the afternoon, evening, and night in the ER with a friend who had a particularly nasty flu.

He’s back to 100% but the Oilers have chosen to play on St. Paddy’s day, Country night, and PPV on the night of a residence social so there is no way in hell I am going to be free to watch.

Whine whine whine.

What I really want to know is does anyone record these things in any format whatsoever? Based on what I’m reading on the roster and the coach, this is as confusing of an Oiler team to make heads or tails of as we have seen lately and I would like to see it with my own eyes.

65. Showerhead says:

Followup: It occurs to me that despite my own lack of PVR/VCR, I know many many people who do in fact possess these technological wonders =)

Disregard my last post unless someone out there is storing these games digitally.

Thanks!

66. William says:

Showerhead: I can record the game for you if you like – I have a TV tuner that saves the game as a .DVI file. Added bonus that I’m also in Winterpeg, making it easier for you to get it :-).

Though I have to say, the past few games have been painful to watch.

67. relic says:

anybody able to track down a feed for tonight’s game?

68. Aimee says:

yeah, anyone have a live feed?

69. Scott says:

Game Time!

Let’s Go Oi-Lers! *Clap* *Clap* *ClapClapClap*

70. DBO says:

atdhe.net doesn’t have it. Anywhere else?

71. gary b says:

wowzers. shift of the season?

72. Scott says:

So is Smid reconcussed yet? The usage of Smid since the game in Toronto has been very curious. Given the problems they’ve had with concussions in the past it’s somehow both very surprising (how could you not learn?!) and completely unsurprising (typical Oilers playing guys injured)

Also, the Oilers have played really well tonight. I hope they get one in the first because they’ve had real trouble carrying a good start into the other periods.

73. Scott says:

Penner Screens!

74. oilerdago says:

So far, so good tonight. Maybe Bruce has the right theory – how they play is based on what place they’re in.

75. Bruce says:

Internet meltdown at my place. Elsewhere?

At least the cable works. So far, so good. Other than the wandering Roli.

76. Black Dog says:

Smid back in, huh? Maybe his injury was something other then post concussion?

Souray with twenty.

He’s had a terrific year.

3 PPG in a dozen games. They’re hot.

77. Bruce says:

If I’m not mistaken, Sheldon Souray is the first Oiler defenceman to score 20 goals since Paul Coffey in 1985-86.

78. Black Dog says:

So we need them to be tied for eight on that last Saturday night, losing on the tiebreak then?

Win and they’re in!

That Forgetting Sarah Marshall? Great movie though I could have done without the bookend shots of Segal’s wang.

79. Coach pb9617 says:

Penner Screens!

Grebs without the acid is just so smoooove.

Please please please please please move Staios in the offseason to sign Grebs. And keep the blotter away from him.

80. Bruce says:

Bullshit call there.

81. Bruce says:

St. Loo is pushing Hemsky around. Better put Reddox out there to make a statement.

82. Steve says:

This has “go into the first intermission up by one goal after dominating the game, then shit the bed in the second and third and lose the game” written all over it.

83. PunjabiOil says:

Fucking Avalanche…blow the lead to Minnesota with under 2 minutes left and then lose in the shootout.

It’s not going to be easy.

84. Scott says:

It will be interesting to see how the EV ice time goes by the end of the game. It seems like that Brodziak line is getting a lot of time. They even got an OZone draw just there.

Nice fight there from Moreau. Standing up for Hemsky and all that. Of course, he didn’t get the 10 min. extra that Penner did the other night.

85. Black Dog says:

Some talk about Grebs in the paper today – sounds like he wants two to three years, the KHL is not an option and he wants to be an Oiler.

Also interesting were Souray’s comments on the beginning of last season when Grebs was seriously hitting the hard stuff.

86. Bruce says:

Coach: From today’s Journal:

“Mistakes? Denis Grebeshkov has made a few. But he’s now one of the mainstays on the Edmonton Oilers’ defensive corps. And he wants to stay put.
    “His agent, Todd Diamond, said on Monday that they negaged in exploratory contract talks with the Oilers prior to the trade deadline. The longer the term, the better, added Grebeshkov. Two or three years would be ideal.”

In related news, Grebs had a superb first period.

87. PunjabiOil says:

Minnesota now ahead of the Oilers by 1 point, though the Oilers have 2 games in hand including tonight.

A win tonight and we leap from 10th to Tied for 7th with a game in hand.

Columbus isn’t neccessarily out of the woods yet either.

A win tonight is vital.

88. slipper says:

How about a link you lazy bastard? Or at the very least the name of the paper you were reading.

89. danny says:

BDHS: man those unabashed crotch shots made me fall on the floor laughing. hahaha i can only imagine the production meeting when they were thinking of how many ways they could get it in there. gold :)

90. pboy says:

That’s exactly what you like to see out of a player like Moreau. No penalties, no stupid offsides, sticking up for a teammate…..

I really like the way O’Sullivan finds the open areas and how he’s gone to the net at the same time the puck is arriving. I’m looking for him to get one in the 2nd period.

91. pboy says:

I’m just going to pretend that Greb’s agent is Dustin Diamond. That makes me enjoy the article that much more.

92. Scott says:

How about a link you lazy bastard?

Bruce likes Penner so much he’s decided to emulate his work ethic :)

93. Tyler says:

Check out The Watchmen. This Dr. Manhattan fellow is apparently some sort of genius but he can’t figure out how to put on a pair of pants when he’s working. I admit, I aspire to someday having that level of professional respect but it was a bit jarring to see a large blue johnson on the screen.

As a bonus: the most laughable sex scene I’ve ever seen.

94. Bruce says:

First period faceoffs:

Horcoff 6-2, 75%
    Brodziak 9-4, 69%
    Gagner 3-0, 100%
    Cogliano 0-1, 0%

One of these things is not like the others. Still, 18/25 is not to be sneezed at.

A very wide open period. 32 attempted shots by the Oilers, 25 by the Blues.

95. Icecastles says:

“He’s not the fancy butter-style.”

No, I suppose that’s true. Then whatsisname goes on to say that Brodeur plays stand-up style. Uh, what? Yeah, and Gretzky was an excellent pure enforcer. Fuck sakes, Sportsnet. you can do better.

96. Bruce says:

Slipper: I’m asusming you’re calling BDHS a lazy bastard, in which case you’ll get no argument from me. He said “the paper”, I said “today’s Journal”.

97. slipper says:

I took BD’s allusion to Grebs hitting “the hard stuff” literally. Man, am I disappointed I tracked this down.

98. Bruce says:

Icecastles: Decided to tune in after all did you? Sportsnet is terrible, they got the dregs of the announcing corps, and their studio crew puts the first four letters in “analysis”.

99. Dennis says:

I have the chances 8-9; 7-9 EV and the Oil get the lone ST chance;)

Oil came out strong early but the Blues logged the last five chances and seven of the last night.

Bruce: you were right – at least by my metric;) – another great period from 37.

100. Dennis says:

Anyone else getting the Blues feed on CI? Don’t get me wrong, I’m really not complaining, but the last two non-HNIC games, I’ve gotten the Amerk bcaster.

I’d call Bell to complain if I thought I was missing something.

101. Black Dog says:

Did they mention Grebs in the Journal? That’s weird. I was looking at some scribbling the boy did on a napkin.

danny – It was an awesome movie, this Segal guy is a genius. A genius I tells ya!

In terms of wang shots nothing compares to the aptly named Dewey Cox. Terrible movie though. If I have to look at some full frontal male nudity it had better be a great movie.

Or Harvey Keitel.

102. Dennis says:

Pat: I thought Walk Hard was sorta guilty of trying to fit in too many lampoons – in that way they were unintentionally like a Scary Move thing – but the scene where Rielly tells the monkey to go fuck himself killed me.

He told an interesting story about that on Conan.

103. gwdnyc says:

when’s lubomir due back?

104. Black Dog says:

Is The Watchmen any good, Ty?

My father in law is ill so my wife and the baby have flown out east. Its the animals and I and its going ot egt ugly.

Two bonuses – I can drink without getting any stinkeye and I’m catching up on movies. Trainspotting last night and Segal’s Wang over two nights.

Good shit.

105. slipper says:

There’s something dry about these telecasts. I was watching the Canes-Rangers game on versus last week and it just seemed way more exciting. It was a 3-0 game, but the product just seemed way more exciting.

There’s an old rasslin’ wisdom about the announcers having to sell the action that holds some truth. Sometimes on the SNW broadcasts the hockey seems like dull stretches between the announce crew’s mind numbing punnery.

106. Bruce says:

BDHS: If Harvey Keitel is in it, chances are it is a great movie.

107. HBomb says:

St. Louis gets a PP, puck ends up in Oiler net.

Surprised?

Oh, those bases on balls.

109. Black Dog says:

Dennis – it had its moments and I really wanted to like it but in the end I felt cheated out of 90 minutes of my life.

A buddy of mine went to some sort of spa deal with his girlfriend – lots of yoga and shit but also a bar so overall it evened out. Anyways John Reilly is there at the same time. Apparently he’s just a terrific guy. Which makes me feel good. I like when I hear things like that.

110. Bruce says:

One cheap penalty and wham!

Shit.

111. danny says:

WTH was Staios doing right there? last I checked, hes not Scott Niedermayer and that wasnt an Anaheim powerplay that the Blues were killing.

brutal.

112. Black Dog says:

That’s true Bruce.

Working on that Bushmills?

Tell Mrs. Bruce to put away all sharp objects? ;)

113. Bruce says:

A Zorg sighting. Makes me sad.

114. PunjabiOil says:

Way too aggressive on the PK.

115. oilerdago says:

They’ve lost all the momentum coming into this period.

What gives?

116. Black Dog says:

I’m sure MacT will get this PK fixed up soon. He still has time, right?

117. Bruce says:

BDHS: I was waiting for the first PK or first GA to get into the Bush. Unsurprisingly the two events occurred in rapid succession.

Next whistle and I hit the cupboard over the fridge.

118. Bruce says:

And look at that, a Kotalik sighting.

119. HBomb says:

Mmmm, Tangle Ridge Canadian Whisky…..

120. Dennis says:

You can’t trust any team that can’t kill a penalty and I can’t support any coach that can’t see the approach needs to be changed.

121. Black Dog says:

Kesler with a beauty and Canucks are up one on Dallas.

122. mc79hockey says:

Pat – Meh, so-so. I’m not a comic book guy and it wasn’t my choice. Intersting enough. Seriously though the sex scene was one of hthe funniest things I’ve ever seen. Kind of worth seeing just because that scene is so bad.

123. Bruce says:

Dennis: What bugs me about the coach was his latest comment about how the PK has the right strategy but the wrong execution. That’s throwing the boys under the bus as far as I’m concerned. “It’s not my fault, it’s their fault.”

Guess what, MacT? YOUR STRATEGY AIN’T FUCKING WORKING! Do something about it.

124. Scott says:

At least they haven’t lost the specail teams battle yet. If they can maintain that I bet they win.

They’ve lost all the momentum coming into this period.

I think this happens a lot and not just to the Oilers.

125. Bruce says:

Brodz is usually pretty reliable at dumping it in, but he screwed the pooch there.

Probably misses Zorg.

126. Bruce says:

Why wasn’t that a delayed offside?

127. Bruce says:

That’s two HUAs on the east end linesman.

128. Bruce says:

And with his latest whiff Horcoff passes the record set by Brett Callighen in 1979-80.

C’mon man, show some poise around the net. This is getting old.

129. Black Dog says:

Yeah I’m not a big comics guy either Ty – will check it out when it gets to our movie channels – love this PVR.

Canucks add another, they’re doing their part.

Yeah Bruce, that’s ridiculous. The execution has been terrible for almost 70 games, is that what he’s saying? That’s so brutal. What a tool.

130. PunjabiOil says:

Horcoff is really struggling to generate any offense 5 on 5.

We`re talking the 2003-2004 season level.

Like fuck, man.

The Oilers would have won the Stanley if Horcoff’s eyes were the same color. What an ass.

132. bookie says:

Blah blah blah sucks. Blah Blah Blah Blah effort. Blah Blah Blah Blah Blah McTavish. Blah Blah Cheeseburger Blah Blah Penner Blah. Blah Blah Blah Blah blah no hope. Blah blah blah…

133. bookie says:

Did LT just call Horcoff an ass?

134. Yeti says:

when was the last time we scored a shorthanded goal?

135. Bruce says:

That’s a chintzy penalty in my book. In this league a guy coming in that hard on a goalie aftera whistle is asking to get knocked down, and that’s all that happened.

136. Coach pb9617 says:

Staios was so far out of position on the Blues goal, he picked up a lift ticket at Banff.

137. Coach pb9617 says:

Moreau’s line is the second line by ice time.

138. HBomb says:

bookie: Sarcasm from Lowetide.

But once again, lately, Horcoff can`t buy a loaf of Wonder Bread with a fistful of fifties, let alone a goal. Guaranteed that he will get blamed for the loss if the Oilers end up dropping this one 2-1.

Which would be stupid.

139. Bruce says:

Bookie: That doesn’t leave much for the rest of us to talk about.

140. Bruce says:

Speaking of cheeseburgers, Penner has had a strong game so far.

Gagner in his last 7gp:

4-5-9 +5

142. Scott says:

Skiing with the Smyth’s talking about how with those damn kids on the team things just aren’t the same.

143. HBomb says:

Question: by playing Reddox/Kotalik instead of Pouliot/Stortini, are the Oilers choosing not to ice their best forward lineup?

O’Sullivan Horcoff Hemsky
    Penner Cogliano Pisani
    Nilsson Gagner Pouliot
    Moreau Brodziak Stortini

(in order of difficulty of ES minutes, if I was running things).

Discuss.

144. Steve says:

Gagner in his last 7gp:

4-5-9 +5

Do we start calling him Mr. March? Doesn’t have quite the same ring as Reggie Jackson’s moniker, does it?

145. HBomb says:

Lowetide: this Gagner kid is a player.

Anyone remember March of Ales Hemsky’s 2nd season? Guy was in the pressbox a lot of nights.

Gagner’s not only raising his level of play, he’s over a full year younger.

146. pboy says:

Team USA squeaks out a win against Puerto Rico. You just can’t walk someone in that spot. Just terrible…I’m an American League fan so I don’t see this guy play all that much, but David Wright is a beauty.

147. Coach pb9617 says:

Scott – a thought on the special teams. If the stragglers PK numbers look good because of the lack of 3 on 5′s, it follows that their PP numbers look a bit worse because of the lack 5 on 3′s.

Pouliot needs more ST time.

148. Coach pb9617 says:

Speaking of cheeseburgers, Penner has had a strong game so far.

27, 37, 77 have all had nice games.

149. Bruce says:

Hemsky: 4 attempted shots, all of them blocked. No giveaways, but he’s been checked hard and lost a few of those battles. On the good side, he’s also made a couple of sweet feeds to POS and Horc which nearly worked. He seems to have his skating legs, but looks frustrated.

150. pboy says:

I think Zog should definitely be drawing back into the lineup RFN. Kotalik is pretty close to invisible out there and Stortini at least plays his role and a lot of nights he’s gone above and beyond it this season.

151. Bruce says:

I like your lines, HBomb.

152. Scott says:

If you mean intentionally then the answer is definitely no. I think they’re trying to ice the best set of forwards possible. I think your lines look fine but the team obviously rates Kotalik or they wouldn’t have traded for him, so he’s going to play.

153. HBomb says:

Bruce: I like ‘em too, but my TRUE preferred lineup rolls out more like this:

Penner Horcoff Hemsky
    O’Sullivan Gagner Pisani
    Nilsson Pouliot Cogliano
    Moreau Brodziak Stortini

I like the idea of Cogliano on RW. I also like the idea of reuniting a line that’s gone +21/-5 at evens this year. And I think that the second line could take on some increasingly tough minutes – Pisani is Pisani, O’Sullivan’s got some two-way skills, and Gagner is on an upslope.

154. Scott says:

Yeah, this is true. When Pouliot is in the lineup he has been given second unit time. I don’t know that we can really give him more than that. The five they have out tonight seem smart to me. Even if Pouliot’s numbers outpace Gagner a bit, I think I’d prefer going with Gagner since that almost needs to be the plan long-term. Still, Pouliot should be getting second unit time consistently.

155. CM says:

after the oilers lose tonight we’ll be in 11th place in the conference…this team is pathetic

156. HBomb says:

Think Buffalo would have given up Spacek instead of Kotalik for that 2nd rounder? Hell, even if it meant throwing in Schremp or something, why not?

His “Visnovsky lite” skill-set would sure be useful out there with Grebeshkov on the 2nd pairing right now, relegating Staios to 3rd pairing duty with Smid.

Sigh….

157. Scott says:

I think you forgot to include our Bettman point :)

You know, it’s funny. A single game in any season shouldn’t be a huge deal but winning tonight is absolutely massive. Could the Oilers make the second season even if they lose tonight?

Sure.

But if they win, it’s a continuation of a trend where the Oilers have been in the 7-8 axis for some time.

Lose and, at least one some level, they’ve opened up the flood gates for teams 9-12.

159. bookie says:

Maybe Grebs should shoot the Odd time just to keep the goalie from sitting directly in line with Souray?

160. Bruce says:

Nice #@$%^&* powerplay.

161. HBomb says:

Soft call on Nilsson ends that powerplay.

I`m wondering “WTF”, but then I see official #25. That fucking tool Joannette. So I am not surprised anymore.

162. oilerdago says:

How much on 12 in the PB for that mistake?

Not sure I saw a penalty but, nonetheless…

163. HBomb says:

As good as the powerplay looked earlier in the game, that last abbreviated opportunity looked like the “same old shit”.

Wow, what a stretch pass by Grebeshkov to Mason. Hemsky’s having a heck of a time finishing right now.

164. bookie says:

bookie: Sarcasm from Lowetide.

I know, but I can hope. I have really enjoyed LT sending the odd grenade towards MacT (I am a flip flopper like LT with regards to MacT). I think it would be fun if he became a Horcoff hater… just for fun.

165. bookie says:

The Oilers could have won if Horcoff got off his ass.

bookie: I can’t imagine it. He’d have to have a 8-16-24 season.

Are we playing for the tie? Sure looks like it.

167. Jon says:

Not judging him as a player…but man is Horcoff having a sub-par game at 5 on 5. He looks soft, unconfident, and confused in the offensive end.

168. HBomb says:

I am starting to think Hemsky is due to break out in a huge way.

Like, 18 points in the final 12 games or something like that.

He’s close.

169. Bruce says:

re: Nilsson in PB. I like Rowbert, but when I see him down in Kotalik territory with 1.08 EVP/60, well that just isn’t cutting it. It’s not like he’s there for his physical play or penalty killing.

He’s gotta score. Sometime in the next 8 minutes would be good.

O’Sullivan has some nice things.

171. bookie says:

I have to say that I have been pretty happy with O’Sullivan given that we got him for a rental. it hink he will be worth his contract if he keeps playing like this.

172. Dave says:

moreau. yikes

Hey, Ethan: Nicely done.

174. HBomb says:

Ethan Moreau, FUCK YOU.

175. Bruce says:

Good penalty there, Cap’n.

176. oilerdago says:

Ah, Brilliant Moreau! (heavy sarcasm)

177. Dave says:

think they would go for a contest: “vote for the lineup oiler fans”?

178. Steve says:

Reddox is a beauty!

Oh, and hi folks.

179. bookie says:

THAT is a stupid F@#$ing penalty. I mean we have the puck, we are in the offensive zone, we are in a tie game with 6 minutes left….

Anyone think of a very much more stupider penalty than that?

180. Scott says:

Ethan F. Moreau
    Deep in the offensive zone
    This is our captain

181. Steve says:

ummm… any other Moreau penalty??

182. mc79hockey says:

Moreau is pretty much a caricature eh?

If this team misses the playoffs, it should be on an OT loss with Moreau in the box after he took a penalty while getting first line PP time in OT in game 82.

183. Bruce says:

Have a seat, Ethan. We can’t afford your irresponsible mistakes.

The key is to get him off the ice before he does it again. Man, I do not recall a veteran having so many penalties in one season that weren’t even close to necessary.

185. PunjabiOil says:

Oil Kings win and clinch the 8th playoff spot!

186. Steve says:

w00t Oil Kings

187. Scott says:

Have a seat, Ethan. We can’t afford your irresponsible mistakes.

This is a direct quote of Bizarro MacTavish

188. Bruce says:

Any bets Moreau is out there after the TV timeout?

189. Icecastles says:

Jesus. I fell asleep about 10 minutes into the second, woke up just a moment ago, and nothing’s changed.

Moreau taking bad penalties certainly hasn’t changed… glad to see he thought about fighting the goalie. That’s true leadership.

190. Nennog says:

That PK was the most emotional two minutes I’ve seen from this team in months.

191. Steve says:

ROLI!

Nice save there.

193. Scott says:

I knew Smid still had a concussion!

194. bookie says:

Roli is too old to play net

195. reijo29 says:

Struds needs to be on bench at the end of a big game. Love the guy. All heart, no skill & even with his compete level he can't play at this level anymore (if he ever could).

Oil win in Shootout Tonight. Kotalik scores winner. Book it.

196. mc79hockey says:

83-10 look like they’re getting ready to go off to me. I second HBomb’s comment above.

This Moreau thing is just amazing. LT is right, I’v never seen anything like Moreau in my life. Barnes had a crazy column a few weeks back trying to justify differential treatment for guys like MOreau and Brodziak on the basis that MacT needs to keep the vets on boards…at what point do the young guys just say “This is fucking ridiculous.”

197. Smarmy Boss says:

Yay Raiders get no playoffs and Oil Kings fans get treated to a baby BOA.

198. Steve says:

Rod just called the St. Louis goalie “Bob Mason”.

Remember that time he called Pisani “Tikkanen”? I can’t figure out why, but I’m going to miss him enormously when he retires.

Newer Comments »