Deadline

The Edmonton Oilers arrive at the deadline with a team that has a real chance at the post-season. They have endured injury, bizarre coaching decisions, insane calls by the zebra’s and a management team that seems hellbent on supplying the head coach with options that he finds unusable.

I honestly don’t think there’s been a year like this one. A team that began with three goalies and now has only one, a team that relies heavily on offense from the blue, a team that lacks kings and aces up front but can still find a way to bury its most effective players.

The holes (as I see it) are scoring forward, checking center, 4-5D and a goalie the coach will actually play.

That’s a long list and that’s for sure. However, the important item is that the Oilers are buyers and that fact means today should be a very important one.

I know Craig MacTavish hopes Steve Tambellini can pull the trigger on some trades. We’ll know today.

643 Responses to "Deadline"

Newer Comments »
  1. DBO says:

Thanks for the fun blog LT. Funny how this is one of the most exciting days for fans. Personally i hope they do something. Anything at this point if only to inject some life into this team and change it up. Yes we can.

2. Matt N says:

I prefer draft day to deadline day, but this is great as well.

3. DBO says:

So the rumors around Edmonton so far:

- Bowmeester
    - Jokinen
    - Ryan Smyth

Nothing about who’s going the other way. I doubt we make any moves of that significance. I can see us picking up a guy like Recchi for nothing, and dealing for a 6th dman and a checking line center (reasoner perhaps).

4. HBomb says:

The holy trinity of hockey junkie days:

Deadline Day
    Draft Day
    UFA Day (aka July 1st)

Off work today. 7:15am is probably too early to have a drink. That being said, it is almost 11am in Newfoundland….

Great, TSN is employing douchenuts Peter Laviolette as a commentator today. I can’t stand that guy.

5. mc79hockey says:

They should trade Pouliot for wearing that sweater.

6. knighttown says:

Whomever you hired as your VP Photography should be given a big raise LT. You really have a knack for finding a picture that appears was staged for your needs. Keep it up.

Also, last nights GDT had some fantastic comments and is a must read. Stat of the night from Dennis:

The Edmonton Oilers had 17 scoring chances and #5 was on for 12 of them.

I think I had a good pulse on his development from the start and I love the way he’s been handled by the coaching staff since the “frying pan in the fire” season.

At training camp last year I wrote that Smid should spend most of the year in the AHL to try and get back that lost year of development. When they did send him down is was not well received and written off as Mac-T not knowing how to handle kids.

Fast forward to this year and Smids was coddled along in the role of (no higher) than 6th D. Mixed with some 4th line and some AHL time and when the report card came back around December, Smid scored an A+ highlighted by the title of lowest GA/On of all NHL d-men. Of course, it was against the softies but it proved he was ready for the next challenge.

I assumed the next step was moving up to a 3/4 shutdown role but it seems the coaching staff wants him to develop more into an Ohlund type that can play tough D yet move the puck and contribute some offense. After three points in his first 30 games, he's had 7 in his past 18.

His Behind the Net numbers are still pretty good considering you can't imagine the crap he has for teammates (-.20 QT). This is down in the bottom 10 of the NHL.

-.04 QC (2nd lowest)
    -.20 QT (2nd worst)
    -12.7 CORSI (4th)
    -.84 P/60 (ahead of Staois&Struds and a dead heat with Souray and Visnovski)
    -1 GFOn/GAOn (solidly in 4th ahead of Souray)

And most importantly, he just turned 23, has draft pedigree, can fight a little and is cheap. We talk about praying they don't do something stupid and move Peckham for Recchi but this is the guy I lose sleep over.

7. NBOilerFan says:

This is my favorite day… and I am home with my son (instead of at work) who has the flu. I hate that he is sick… but I love him for it all at the same time.

Exciting day indeed. Will likely be let down on the deals the Oilers pull off… or worse, they get shut out…. but still excited.

8. Coach pb9617 says:

Looking at the scoring chances from last night, the truth is revealed — Penner is just riding Hemsky’s coattails.

Good thing that line was broken up.

9. Schitzo says:

Hope he gets moved: Schremp

Would be sad if he moves: Pouliot

Would get ejected from a public place for profanity if moved: Smid, Peckham, Grebs

10. Dennis says:

KT: I’m still not convinced 5 is ready for top four duty but we can discuss this at another time and I don’t have a worry that he’ll be moved.

Here’s something I found on the Globe’s hockey site; though it hasn’t been mentioned anywhere else.

The gist is that the Kings are working on a deal for Williams. When you consider he’s making 3.5 for the 10 and 11 seasons, this seems like a blatant precursor to a Frolov move, no?

Say for an entry level contract like 13′s…..

LT: I’d be feeling decent about this club last night if the 10 line hadn’t shit the bed and anytime that’s the issue and we still get a point, you know that for at least one night it looked like we might have depth.

22 looked like a real player and the 4th line had some pressure but macT ruined all that by getting caught with his line-matching pants down around his ankles.

78 showed the offensive confidence and consistency we’ve all been waiting for and here was a look at him with real offensive players. Granted, he’s shown some jam with 13 this year and I wonder how he’d look with 13-34.

The team were only outchanced 17-21 at evens but that’s not all the story.

I don’t want to move 22 or 78 for minor stuff but I would move Schremp or Trukno or even Wild for that matter.

But that’s probably just me being over-cautious.

11. NBOilerFan says:

Flip Kuba just signed an extension with the sens.

12. NBOilerFan says:

Ottawa just sent Antonine Vermette to the BJ’s for Pascal LeClaire.

13. HBomb says:

Check the game thread last night. HBomb said “Vermette to Columbus”….

Not gloating, just gloating….

14. NBOilerFan says:

Kuba’s extension was a 3-years 3.75mil per deal.

15. Schitzo says:

Man, Howson has not been idle this year. Good for him

16. Coach pb9617 says:

Vermette and a second?

People think Lowe has no idea what he’s doing…the Sens just throw darts to manage personnel.

17. HBomb says:

Coach: It was Vermette for Leclaire AND a 2nd. Ottawa gets one.

Good deal from their perspective, I’d say. They’ve got a starting goalie now.

18. Coach pb9617 says:

Oh. Sportsnet’s initial report was the wrong way round.

That’s not so bad for either side then.

19. Schitzo says:

Oh. Sportsnet’s initial report was the wrong way round.

Shocker

20. mc79hockey says:

Leclaire’s got an awfully thin resume for someone getting his dollars. Given OTT’s track record with paying goalies early, I’m not so sure that this move makes sense.

21. Scott says:

I think it’s an absolute steal for Columbus considering that LeClaire has negative value to them and competent goaltending shouldn’t be impossible to find on the cheap (in terms of assets). I think Howson has done a really good job this year. Is Doug MacLean on TV anywhere? It would be kind of fun to see him being mocked about how Howson has this once sad-sack franchise turning the corner.

22. HBomb says:

Doug MacLean would fit perfectly on Sportsnet’s commentary team today.

Seriously, they employed Eklund in the past – do they have ANY credibility?

23. mc79hockey says:

TSN is using nhlnumbers.com as their source of info on cap room. Awesome.

24. Kristopher Milligan says:

Leafs broken off contract negotiations with dominic moore. trade impending

Speaking of moore, how does this journeyman 28 year old plugger suddenly turn into a 40pt player on a mediocre team?

25. relic says:

well, McLean did do a decent job of gathering talent. a lot of these are guys he acquired and he did hire hitchcock. sometimes a bit of a new perspective is all that’s required I guess. McLean is quite the mouthpiece though.

26. Black Dog says:

Sekeres called the BJs/Sens move in that blog too Dennis.

27. NBOilerFan says:

Anyone hearing any talk about potential deals on any Edmonton sports radio stations?

28. NBOilerFan says:

Tim Connolly signed for 9mil, 2-yr deal with Buffalo (extension).

29. Kristopher Milligan says:

Connoly signed, off the block

30. pboy says:

It will be interesting to see what Tamblowe does in regards to taking on salary. As per the Score, we have 39 million committed to 10 players for the 2010-11 season. If the cap goes down between 10-20%, we have to look at moving salary not picking any up. At the very least, be salary cap neutral, trade for a 4 million $ player and make sure a 4 million $ player is included on our side. I can’t see anything more than some tweaking by Tamblowe, mostly with UFA’s but I’ve been wrong before.

31. Scott says:

He did hir Hitchcock which was a great move, but I don’t think there are actually that many Blue Jackets that played on the team while MacLean was still there. Even if you include prospects that hadn’t yet made the show, over half of the roster has turned over under Howson and almost always for the better. MacLean is inDon Waddell territory as far as I’m concerned.

32. speeds says:

Mark Spector just indicated on Sportsnet that the Oilers are being asked for Cogliano, Gagner, and Petry, but aren’t willing to deal any of the 3.

They may be talking with COL re: Smyth, and they may be after Kozlov from ATL.

33. R-Gib says:

Would like to see a Dominic Moore type coming our way… Leafs are rebuilding so hopefully they are willing to take a Schremp package, not a roster player package – unless Staios/Moreau is the centerpiece ;)
    Realistically, Schremp, Chorney and a 2nd round pick sounds good to me. My biggest worry is that it will actually be 2-3 roster players and high end prospects for Kaberle+. Scares the crap out of me what Lowebellini might do.

34. Jonathan Willis says:

Scott: Hitchcock was hired by ownership – Doug MacLean didn’t make the decision and the hiring was considered (inside the Columbus organization) as MacLean’s death knell.

35. mc79hockey says:

If this Smyth talk is real…I hope that the guy can get to Ottawa for tomorrow night.

36. NBOilerFan says:

RBrownlee on ON suggested that the Flyers are interested in sheding Briere and his salary… that would be an interesting potential trade deal.

Briere is signed til 14/15 at $6.5mil/yr…. pricey indeed.

If they pass on a deal because of Petry then we can safely assume the Edmonton Oilers are doomed.

38. Lord Bob says:

Prediction: the Oilers do nothing.

I’m all abotu taking the safe money. :P

39. relic says:

JW: not to get too OT here but I’m just wondering what your source for that is.

I listen to the fan, probably too much, and McLean has refuted that more than once… of course, what’s the guy gonna say? … it’s not really important though.

40. Schitzo says:

Man, that’s not cheap for a guy who’s been injured as much as Connolly.

41. speeds says:

NB:

Don’t bring up this Briere stuff, it gets me a bit nervous.

42. Alice says:

LT – The words right out of my mouth. Do we really think everyone in our system is going to make the show – and will find their way into our roster too? FFS,

43. Jonathan Willis says:

Relic: Future Greats and Heartbreaks, by Gare Joyce. I’m sure MacLean denies it, but that was the consensus of the Blue Jackets brass.

44. Jonathan Willis says:

I firmly believe in saying no on Gagner.

I can understand making Cogliano untouchable.

But Jeff Petry should be very available.

45. NBOilerFan says:

TSN had Don Waddell on earlier and he burst my “dream deal” bubble by saying that Kovalchuk is NOT available… no way no how.

… as I sulk in my chair.

46. Schitzo says:

Is 3PM EST an earlier deadline than previous years? I would swear it was a couple of hours later previosuly.

47. Mr DeBakey says:

Nothing focuses the mind like talk of the Oilers trading for Briere.
    Yikes!

Would New York take Brule & Schremp for Naslund?
    Nillson & Schremp?
    Naslund lacks jam, but he'd sure deepen the left side

48. Jonathan Willis says:

I could handle Nilsson/Schremp for Naslund.

49. bookie says:

You know, I am ussually pretty good at figuring out what is going to happen, but I am really uncertain at this point what, if anything, is going to take place today.

There is a thought in my brain that says, watch out, what happens today is going to be shocking and unexpected with someone that we all consider untouchable moving. I think that is what the Oilers are trying for, BUT I also think that they may not be able to do it and just like the Glenx signing, the hopeful ‘big deal’ that doesnt happen may result in none of the small deals that are needed being done. As such we may end up with nothing.

50. Lord Bob says:

I wouldn’t trade Nilsson alone for Naslund. This isn’t the year, so why trade a young guy who’s part of the core for an old guy like that?

Any moves we make today should have some long-term value, or we’re just screwing over this team when it matters.

51. Jonathan Willis says:

LB: Not only would the Oilers get to dump an extra contract in a Nilsson/Schremp for Naslund deal, but Naslund would be under contract for all of next season at a very reasonable rate.

I’m fairly convinced that the Oilers are going to a) fill the LW slot and b) overpay when they do so. Naslund would fill it at a reasonable price, and (if Nilsson/Schremp were the cost) do so only for spare parts.

52. NBOilerFan says:

TSN are reporting that Olli Jokinen is almost a done deal to the Flames.

53. HBomb says:

McKenzie saying that the Flames and Coyotes are in “detailed negotiations” regarding Olli Jokinen.

Don’t know how to feel about that, but a friend and I were pondering how Jokinen would fare on a team where he had another center like Horcoff or Langkow taking on the toughs…..

54. Jonathan Willis says:

Then again, I suppose mileage will vary on the value of Nilsson. His treatment this year (and his season this year) very much sugggests that he isn’t part of the core.

55. bookie says:

One important note is that we may be the only market and the only team that doesn’t care too much about profit. In fact, if it were not for the cap I suspect that we would be in a very powerful situation.

What does a new excited owner in the only economy that is not facing doomsday mean? Well, it means that we can take on risks IF they are risks that we can bury in the farm system if they don’t work out. So, in other words, if we need to take on a Sean Avery and then send him away, its not such a big deal if we have to pay half or all of a salary AS long as it doesnt count against the cap.

I admit to being relatively ignorant compared to most here when it comes to the finer details of the NHL, but I do understand economics and this team has a different economic situation than any other team (most other teams).

56. Bruce says:

Good morning … in for the duration.

I was going to say that I wouldn’t mind at all seeing Calgary dump Lombardi, and with Bobby Mac all but announce O.Jokinen to Calgary, surely the one-time Oiler draft Lombardi is part of the package going south.

Casting my crystal ball ten years into the future I can see Lombardi causing a lot more pain to Oiler fans than Jokinen in a Flames sweater.

Still guesswork of course, I could be off base … but I’d be surprised if he wasn’t part of it.

57. Lord Bob says:

If we need to get rid of contracts that badly, let’s buy out some idiots next offseason and lose nothing but money, rather than trading Bobby Nilsson and losing one of our decent youngsters.

Naslund’s contract is excellent, but Naslund himself is not. And if you think the Oilers are going to make a run this year or next with Markus Naslund as part of the core, you’re a far more optimistic fan than I.

58. Lord Bob says:

Say what you will about Darryl Sutter, he at least realises that in order to improve your team you must occasionally change it.

59. Yeti says:

Are the Flames serious contenders this year if they pick up Jokinen?

60. NBOilerFan says:

Yeti…. depends on what they are giving up…. but I would say it all depends on Kipper. He has looked good for teh most part but has also looked bad at times.

61. Doogie2K says:

I could handle Nilsson/Schremp for Naslund.

Mats Naslund?

62. Mr DeBakey says:

rather than trading Bobby Nilsson and losing one of our decent youngsters

Nilsson is one of the three guys whose contract
    -extends into the 10-11 season
    -is between 2 & 3 million
    Staios & Moreau the other two.
    They should be moving at least two of those three.

I think Schremp is past the decent youngter stage

63. Bruce says:

Pierre *levitating*: PASCAL LECLAIRE IS THE BEST GOALIE OTTAWA’S EVER HAD!!!!!1!1!!

Bruce: Uhh … Dominik Hasek?

64. Alice says:

Bookie: I don’t know what Katz thinks about money, but have to assume he’s at least Somewhat fond of the stuff. And with greenbacks costing $1.30 again it’s a different situation than last spring – even for Katz, and even in Edm.

65. bookie says:

Salary Cap Question…

When Avery went down to the AHL, did that salary count against the cap for the stars?

Now that they are paying 50% of his salary, does that 50% count against the cap for the stars?

66. Doogie2K says:

Uhh … Dominik Hasek?

Hell, Patrick Lalime.

67. Mr DeBakey says:

Markus Naslund
    Left Wing
    Born Jul 30 1973 — Ornskoldsvik, Sweden
    Height 5.11 — Weight 195

07-08 Vancouver 82 25 30 55 46
    08-09 New York 64 20 19 39 45

Any current Oilers score 45 goals over the past 145 league games?

68. HBomb says:

Jordan Leopold back to Calgary. Anything to keep Phaneuf away from the tough minutes, eh Darryl?

69. quain says:

Salary Cap Question…

No and Yes.

70. speeds says:

CAL starts to look like a tough out if they pick up Leopold and Jokinen without losing much from the roster, assuming if they get all their injured guys back in time for the playoffs.

71. Black Dog says:

Pierre is such a dink.

I’m not a fan of Jokinen but I can see the Flames making the move.

Langkow, Jokinen, Conroy up the middle. And Jokinen’s contract is up after next year, right?

It does depend on Kipper in the end though. Still the Flames have a (gags) nice team.

72. Jonathan Willis says:

LB: Nazzy’s not great by any stretch, but he’s a good option at the price.

73. NBOilerFan says:

TSN just reported Leopold to the Flames for Nycholat (just claimed on waivers), a prospect and a pick.

74. kanadienkyle says:

A little late to the discussion, but if talks are stalled because of Petry, there is a definite problem. His skills are replicated elsewhere on our 50 (49?) man list and he can be replaced either through the draft (John Moore of the Chicago Steel) or during the college free agent period.

75. NBOilerFan says:

I don’t see Mark Spector that “connected” to the Oilers… I don’t trust that Petry stuff too much.

76. bookie says:

Alice- I know what you are saying, but having visited a few American cities about a month ago, it is hard to describe how devastating the situation they are facing is. Hockey is a luxury and ticket prices will be dropping in many cities along with attendance.

So, while Katz faces some $$ challanges, the owners of many American teams face a much more difficult challange and uncertainty. Katz is in a more resliant industry (drugs) and is a fresh owner who likely feels his rep is on the line with what happens.

So, I am suggesting that he would be willing to absorb losses of 1-2 million per year for a few years whereas many other owners just cant do this. And those owners are facing dropping revenue, whereas I think Katz is comfortable that there will be continued sellouts at the Oilers games for at least 2-3 years.

Lastly, he wants a new arena and nothing will facilitate that better than winning.

77. bookie says:

Thanks Quain

78. Black Dog says:

And adding Leopold helps.

Sutter thinks SJ and the Wings are vulnerable and that his team’s time is now.

Say what you will about the guy but at least he is active every year, trying to get shit done.

79. Doogie2K says:

Still, it becomes picks and prospects (in various directions) for two years of Alex Tanguay. Didn’t win them anything, but unless the prospect going out today is something great, it probably didn’t cost them anything of value.

80. HBomb says:

And adding Leopold helps.

Sutter thinks SJ and the Wings are vulnerable and that his team’s time is now.

Well, with the cap likely dropping after next season, figuring this might be their best shot to do something, it’s probably smart.

I still don’t think they can beat Detroit AND San Jose. They might be able to take one of them, but it’s going to take a simultaneous upset elsewhere. Even with Leopold and (perhaps) Jokinen, they’re 3rd best in the west going into the tournament for Lord Stanley….

81. HBomb says:

Ironic that the 2nd rounder from Montreal in the Tanguay deal is sent by Calgary to Colorado to re-acquire a guy sent away for Tanguay….wow.

82. Bruce says:

Tom Barrasso?

83. Alice says:

Bookie, that’s true

There are no trucks on the highways south of the border.

84. Kristopher Milligan says:

Prospect Ryan Wilson on the Cal/Col deal

85. Steve says:

The day’s first blockbuster: Danny Richmond to St. Louis for Andy Wozniewski.

86. Bruce says:

Sorry … Danny Richmond of what organization?

87. Bruce says:

Keith Jones talking sense? That’s new.

88. HBomb says:

Maguire: “It’s on Kevin Lowe and Steve Tambellini to wake up and do something.”

Called out the Oilers for saying they’re the best young team in hockey at the beginning of this season and that they rushed Sam Gagner into the NHL.

He’s a douche sometimes, but he’s right. Except for the part about Brian Burke being right about Dustin Penner. Fuck that.

89. Mr DeBakey says:

TSN just reported Leopold to the Flames

Shaggy and/or Smytty back to the Oilers?

90. Steve says:

Pittsburgh, obviously. Are there any other Danny Richmonds?

(I’d never heard of him either.)

TSN just saying that the Oilers need to make a move, because Calgary and Vancouver are better, and “with Minnesota signing Bakstrom, you have to believe they’re about to make another move, or they’re going to miss the playoffs.” Funny, I had no idea that signing your goalie to an extension was a move calculated to help you this year.

91. Kristopher Milligan says:

So much exciting action, im so sad to drag myself to class to miss all these amazing trades (sarcarsm)

92. Bruce says:

Are there any other Danny Richmonds?

There’s hundreds of “Danny Richmonds”. Maybe thousands.

93. mc79hockey says:

Maguire: “It’s on Kevin Lowe and Steve Tambellini to wake up and do something.”

He’s a douche sometimes, but he’s right.

Come on H. This is asinine. If they were wrong about how good the team was at the start of the year – and they were – then how can it possibly make sense to compound that error now? He’s right that they screwed up. His proposed solution is insane.

94. HBomb says:

Tellqvist to Buffalo.

Gerber claimed by Toronto, same with Eric Reitz.

B. Morrison claimed by Dallas.

Craig Adams claimed by Pittsburgh.

95. knighttown says:

I’m in the (small) camp of people who want to survive this day with no major “buys”. I could get behind the Moore trade above which won’t happen and anything involving prospects from LT’s list below and including Hockey Jesus but that’s about it.

Just no use. Get in the playoffs and get your 2 home dates, some experience for the kids and call it a step in the right direction.

I believe Sam Pollack wrote:
    You gotta know when to hold ‘em. Know when to fold ‘em. Know when to walk away. Know when to run.

Option “A” please.

96. HBomb says:

mc79: I’m not a guy hoping for big things, but I am hoping for something.

A veteran center is NOT too much to expect. I am not one of those people that thinks a top-six forward or something “big” is on the way.

97. Lord Bob says:

More and more, I think that Steve Tambellini was the Fredo Corleone of the Canucks organisation. Yes, he was there a long time, but that just means he was there a long time. “I’m your older brother, Mike [Gillis], and I was passed over!”, that kinda thing.

98. Lord Bob says:

I didn’t even know Craig Adams was on waivers. God, there’s a guy I’d like to have had, particularly with Moreau out.

99. Bruce says:

Keith Jones, in his sensible moment, cited the Visnovsky injury as the end of any realistic expectations the Oilers might make in the playoffs this year, so to trade any significant “future” would be a mistake.

Rob Schremp? By all means. But I agree with whoever above identified Smid/Grebs/Peckham as no-go zone unless the return is A LOT more than a bandaid or a rental.

100. Schitzo says:

HOW in the hell did we let Miro Satan go unclaimed? Even if you pressbox him all year, it’s a nice option for under a million bucks.

101. Alice says:

Isn’t Burke a sandpaper guy? Why do we think he’d want any part of Schremp/Nils/etc? Moore’s not fitting his window, but my impression is he wants to build a team with grit – I don’t know how we bring any assets that are a fit there. Everything we’ve got to offer is too soft or too old.

102. Unleaded says:

Right now, the way the team is going, if I had to choose where management went, I’d rather they stand pat. I am seeing good things out of the team right now, and I’d be working on:

Resigning Erik Cole.
    Resigning Roloson
    Resigning Grebs

With Moreau out, I think this team will make the playoffs as is, no trades necessary.

103. Lord Bob says:

Er, were you watching last night? :P

104. Black Dog says:

Hbomb – with the Canucks and BJs and Hawks lurking they don’t have to beat both San Jose and Detroit.

Both those clubs might get soft opening round matchups though.

But if Dallas gets in and Richards is healthy care they an easy out?

105. NBOilerFan says:

Kristopher Milligan said…

Not to try to make it harder for you to go to class… but this is no different then previous years… you don’t start seeing much for deals until aboy 3 hrs before the deadline and ,preso once the 2hr countdown begins.

It will come fast and furious soon.

106. B.C.B. says:

I don’t get why the Oilers wouldn’t want Jokinen. Other then if the price is Cogliano. If we got him you could run:

10-83-27
    Jokinen-89-12
    13-26-34
    52-18/46-85
    or
    10-83-Jokinen
    89-26-12
    13-34-27
    52-18/46-85

Both line ups are far better, you could even run both in the same game (depending if the 1st line is clicking). You have Jokinen for another year: and he provides depth to the C and the LW. Not to mention that he would be one of the biggest forwards in the top 6.

107. Unleaded says:

G Mikael Tellqvist to buffalo for a 4th Rd. pick.

I can see why they want options, but I don’t see him being the answer with Miller down.

108. Coach pb9617 says:

Aw man Army is available. Nilsson, Poo, one of the three d and a pick for Army and Kozlov?

Just get Army.

109. Unleaded says:

Er, were you watching last night? :P

Bob, let me rephrase:

If the Oilers keep the same line up and learn to cover that F***ing back door tip-in BS, they can make the playoffs with their current line up. But if that s*** keeps happening it won’t matter who they get. Period.

110. Lord Bob says:

Tell you what, Bud Light. When you run a commercial saying “Budd Light, help me, I’ve spent the last six hours in the lavatory after drinking your terrible beer!”, then I’ll watch your ads without retching.

111. shepso says:

the current rumor is Cole to Boston for Manny?
    That seems really short sighted. How is Roli going to feel about having a timeshare with Frenandez…again… I know we need a long term goalie solution, but we have a more pressing situation now. WTF?

112. NBOilerFan says:

TSN still saying that Jokinen is going to the Flames… saying right now they believe Lombardi and a 1st Rd pick are involved teh other way… perhaps more.

113. Ribs says:

Jokinen with the Flames sounds pretty scary. *crosses fingers*

114. NBOilerFan says:

shepso said…
    the current rumor is Cole to Boston for Manny?

My god lets hope not… this season has been enough of a soap opera regarding the goalie situation… lets not add this element as well.

115. Schitzo says:

Come on Flames, sell the future for an opportunity to get thumped by the Wings or Sharks.

116. quain says:

That seems really short sighted… I know we need a long term goalie solution, but we have a more pressing situation now.

I think your definition of short-sighted differs from mine.

117. NBOilerFan says:

TSN now saying Lombardi, Prust and a 1st rd pick for OJ.

118. Bruce says:

Knighttown: Good comment on Smid a ways up the page. I’ve been tracking Ladi on my blog all season, and backing him for longer than that.

One place where you and I disagree is the wisdom of sending him to the A all last year. He learned more in 14 minutes a game here than he would have in 24 down there, and the UFA clock was ticking either way. No matter how much AHL experience, such guys are always going to need some hard time in finishing school, even if the other guys were finishing and ours getting schooled a little more often than we would like. After Matt Greene’s return from the broken ankle, I thought our third pairing was mighty solid … two emerging young blueliners clearly on an upward slope already holding their own.

What seems to be emerging of late in Ladi’s game is confidence with the puck. A huge part of that is not having to start with his ass to the glass on the receiving end of yet another “suicide ringaround” that is Steady Steve’s trademark breakout play. But of late he has done more than just walk the puck into the neutral zone and ditribute it, but some real sharp plays in the O-zone. Last night there was a nice rush in the first period where Ladi “dangled” the defenceman, pulling him to the inside with a sharp move before a nice backhand pass to the winger breaking wide. Then there was a real nice play walking the blueline before letting go a tippable shot that JFJ deflected home.

Key word in all this being “confidence”, but as it develops I don’t think we can simply categorize the guy as a defence-only blueliner. He’s got 6 points in the 13 games since Visnovsky went down, more than decent without any significant powerplay time. Small sample size to be sure, but enough to prove there’s at least a little pop in his bat.

119. Black Dog says:

And there it is.

120. Schitzo says:

Done deal for the flames. Interesting stuff.

121. Bruce says:

Lombardi and Prust gone. Good riddance to both.

In return the Flames get a proven playoff performer in Jokin…. wait a minute, scratch that. No. No they don’t.

Yolli Olli has 780 GP of NHL experience, every last game in the regular season. Is that a record?

122. Schitzo says:

At this point, I hope the Flames hit Nashville or Columbus in 6th place, and get killed by rookie goaltender magic.

123. NBOilerFan says:

One more point regarding OJ to the Flames… Dreger (TSN) said that the cap numbers don’t work currently and that the Flames “must” have another deal pending to make this work salary wise.

124. HBomb says:

Calgary just mortgaged the future to, at best, lose to San Jose or Detroit in the second round.

Best of luck to the Calgary Flames this playoff season.

125. Schitzo says:

Also of interest is that Calgary gains approximately 3 million in committed salary next season, meaning they’ll be at 45.5, with no Cammellari, Bertuzzi, Moss

126. slipper says:

Calgary is right in there with the Sharks and Wings. So if the question is “does adding Jokinen make the Flames a legitimate threat?”, my answer would be they are a legitimate threat and acquiring Jokinen only improves their chances.

Right now they are probably the best team depth wise but are edged out by the Sharks/Wings in terms of top end talent. Putting Jokinen into their top six changes that.

127. B.C.B. says:

Sorry glad we didn’t get Jokinen.
    Prust, Lombardi, and a 1st round is too expensive, that would be roughly Cogs and a 1st round pick from us.

Gross . . .

@Shepso: I think you are right, trading Cole for Manny (the UFA) would be terrible.

128. Lord Bob says:

Best of luck to the Calgary Flames this playoff season!

Listen to all the popsicle-licking about The Leadership of Jarome Iginla on TSN. The Leadership of Jarome Iginla hasn’t achieved much for them so far, has it?

129. Schitzo says:

One thing I’ll give Phoenix credit for is they managed to salvage their investment – Jokinen held his value despite numbers that reflect playing anywhere but the SouthEast

130. Boondock says:

Cole for Fernandez only makes any sense if a team like Detroit has a massive offer for Roloson. Possibility?

131. quain says:

This trade is a good trade if the Flames make it to the finals and a pretty poor trade otherwise.

I know which description I’m betting on come springtime.

132. Scott says:

I find this unbelievable. Not just from an Oilers perspective either. It seems just as weird for Minnesota to pass. Then you have Calgary. Is it better to have Lombardi, Prust, a first rounder and Satan or Jokinen. I wouldn’t pick Jokinen. Then again, I’m not the Flames (who are now over the cap).

133. mc79hockey says:

It also makes sense if Roli has a broken collarbone.

134. Bruce says:

Tyler: Shhh! This is stressful enough.

135. Schitzo says:

A side thought – are we lucky that our “go for it” window occurred in 2005-2006 instead of 2008-2009? I mean, we had a deep team, but the Detroit and SJ that we beat were NOTHING compared to the ones this year.

Almost feel sorry for the Flames – the window is closing but there isn’t anything they could do to really seperate from the pack. It’ll be interesting to see how this works out.

136. Scott says:

Why wouldn’t Detroit just cut out the middle man and get Fernandez.

137. NBOilerFan says:

Boondock said…

A deal for Roloson would be teh only way this makes sense…. especially since all we have been hearing is that the ydon’t move Cole for anything that doesn’t help us be better right now. Unless the ything Manny can out-play Roloson… a deal for Manny doesn’t make us better right now.

138. Bruce says:

Isn’t Burke a sandpaper guy?

Burke is Yesterday’s Man. He signed first Bertuzzi, then Morrison as free-agent mistakes in Anaheim, long after their primes that he remembered so fondly from that one-winning-playoff-series Dynasty in Vancouver.

So maybe Burkie also remembers the Ethan Rifles and Steady Steve that did their part in knocking out his Ducks in ’06.

(How’s that for wishful thinking?)

139. shepso says:

Agreed, if Roli is being traded, which I would hate, or if his collarbone is actually broken, then yes, the deal first mentioned on TSN for manny would be fine…ish…

@ Quain: The shortsightedness I am referring to is the lack of a player who puts pucks in the net coming back on an already offensively challenged team. Faceoffs and goals are the short-term and long term concerns of this organization, not goaltending. Roli, unless he is hurt, is proving himself to be just fine, regardless of his age, and with all the UFA and RFA goalies around, why not go after someone in the offseason? That would seem more reasonable and less short-sighted.

140. Bruce says:

T minus 2 hours. Game on.

141. Black Dog says:

I don’t mind that trade for the Flames and I think they’re closer to SJ and Detroit then we think.

The conference is going to be a bastard to get out of but Iginla and Kiprusoff are getting older and Camillerri is a UFA this summer.

May as well go for it. I have a hard time slamming Sutter when his club has made the playoffs the last four years and will make it this year while the Oilers have made it once in the same time period and are in tough to make it this year.

He’s doing something right.

142. dave says:

If playoffs are on the mind. Hold Cole. A couple of tweeners for Manny. Roli for third line C. maybe some waiver depth on the D.

143. NBOilerFan says:

Yes Blackdog… and the biggest part of those seasons for teh Flames was Kipper… while we have floundered around with poor goalie choices until we got Roloson.

144. Bruce says:

Calgary has the option on which part of their future they mortgaged. This year’s first or next year’s.

Server is down on NHLnumbers.com (again). Anybody know the remaining terms on Jokinen? They probably said something on air, but I missed it.

145. HBomb says:

It’s easy for me to slam the Flames, because they’ve made the playoffs the last three seasons and have done nothing once they’ve got there. Plus they employ Bertuzzi.

Now, they’ve wagered everything on making a run this year. 45.5 million cap committed for 2009-10? This IS their shot, and if it doesn’t work…well, they’re not going to have as good a shot for a long time.

The one thing here that is working in Calgary’s favor: they have Langkow to take the toughs that a smart coach keeps Jokinen away from. That’s going to help their cause. But I still can’t see them beating San Jose or Detroit, let alone both…

146. gary b says:

is there something to this Roli collarbone thing? any news?

147. HBomb says:

Bruce: Jokinen’s got 1 year left at 5.5 million. He’s going to play with Iginla, put up a big year, and then get a big payday….maybe (cap drop!).

148. slipper says:

It would be good to remember Calgary had a fairly bad even strength save percentage through much of the season. I they had Dwayne Roloson’s Ev Spct from this year behind their team, they’d most likely be ahead of these uber-elite team everyone is gushing about.

As it stands they’re 10 points behind these two teams. One of which Calgary has a higher even strength Corsi than, and the other team just saw Marian Hossa carried off the ice on a stretcher and also play a goaltending tandem that includes Ty Conklin.

Jokinen also has a pretty decent track record despite playing on some gawd awful teams. I know the perception of Jokinen’s ability is marred by Mats Sundin syndrome, but our own Shawn Horcoff saw his numbers fall further in ’07 playing in a similar position Jokinen has been in Phoenix. There two forwards on the Coyotes above 2 EV PTS/60 and most of Jokinen’s linemates this season don’t shave.

He’s also signed to a pretty affordable contract for a player of his calibre.

149. Sean says:

I’m a little upset Jokinen took off the mustache … thats easy material

150. NBOilerFan says:

Oh great… the latest from TSN is that J-Bo is starting to actually look like it might happen as teh offers are getting better for Florida to accept…. and that Vancouver along with the Flyers are the front runners.

151. doritogrande says:

TSN’s reporting that the first rounder in the Jokinen deal is for either 2009 or 2010. Wonder what the conditions are for that little clause.

Have to hand it to Calgary. Sutter made his team significantly better today. I still hold out hope that the Oilers will do the same, only for that to happen, we’re the team dealing assets for another first round pick.

I’ve been out of the loop, what’s been the hubub regarding Petry? Personally I’d be trading Chorney long before Petry because of the size differential. If Tambellini is reluctant to give up on Petry I’ll support him there. Based on the interviews/press clips I’ve been reading on Petry, this guy could be the heir apparent to Sheldon Souray.

152. Bruce says:

HBomb: As in 1+ year left? Makes sense … Phoenix wouldn’t have given up Ballard and Boynton for just one year (would they?).

As for big paydays, everything’s relative. If he does post a big year it will move him up the food chain of the day, unless the whole fucking house of cards comes down in the next 16 months.

153. Bruce says:

There’s Rowbert front and centre for the chalk talk. Cole too.

154. Bruce says:

There’s Penner too, out there for the optional (TSN feed). Unfortunately, I can’t see the three guys behind Dustin.

155. Black Dog says:

Hbomb – true enough but only one team wins every year and you have a better chance of winning if you actually make the playoffs

Just saying.

Sure they might get knocked out first round but everytime this team looks like its window has closed Sutter goes out and pulls more rabbits out of his hat – Glencross, Bourque, Moss and Giordano this year for example.

They have five guys with more goals then every Oiler but Hemsky.

I’d take the Flames’ past five years over the Oilers any day. We’re banking on our kids giving us a bright future. If they fail then we’re going to be left looking mighty foolish.

156. HBomb says:

Bruce: Jokinen extended for four years the same day that the Oilers grabbed Samsonov (March 9, 2006).

He’s UFA on July 1, 2010, IIRC.

157. Jonathan Willis says:

RE: Fernandez rumours

Roloson makes a fair bit less than Fernadez this year – it occurs to me that a team could acquire Roli but be unable to afford Manny.

Enter the Oilers, who can take Manny and trade Roli for a profit.

It’s hypothetical of course, but that’s a nice best case scenario, isn’t it?

158. Unleaded says:

Question:

How much tade value would Riley Nash have right now? If he’s planning to return to Cornell next year, is he a player that the Oilers would try to get rid of, because of the lack of development? I know there are a lot of Nash Boosters here, so I thought I’d throw it out there: if you know He’s going back, do you trade him, or risk his value drops further?

159. HBomb says:

BDHS: I’m a patient fan, I want to see the Oilers win a cup. A lot of arrows are pointing in the right direction for the long term, and things are a bit of a gong-show right now, but they are on the upslope.

Calgary’s on the peak right now and will NOT have a better shot than they have this year for quite some time. If this doesn’t work, it’s likely the Flames last few years is mentioned in the same discussion as the 1999-2008 Ottawa Senators when it comes to “success”.

160. Lord Bob says:

Did I see Penner pouring barbecue sauce on them?

161. Mr DeBakey says:

Olli Jokinen C

2008-09 5,250,000
    2009-10 5,250,000
    2010-11 UFA

162. HBomb says:

JW: I suggested it a few days ago. Act as an intermediary. Take Fernandez’s salary for a 3rd rounder from Boston, giving them cap relief and room to add another piece (say Kaberle).

Then, turn around and offer Roloson to Detroit for a 1st rounder. Would the goaltending performance be that different to negate likely moving up ~45 spots (Oilers 3rd rounder to Detroit 1st rounder)?

This year, probably not.

163. NBOilerFan says:

Did anyone notice Nilsson at that optional practice?

They did mention that MacT was called off ice… but no players have been pulled off ice (and someplayers weren ot on the ice – “optional” practice.)

164. Bruce says:

Yeah, Row-bert was there. Or at least a guy wearing helmet #12 was.

165. NBOilerFan says:

Recchi to the Bruins…. so Cole to Bruins is out.

166. Kristopher Milligan says:

Recchi to boston

167. Jonathan Willis says:

Well, thank goodness I don’t have to worry about an overpay for Recchi.

168. Black Dog says:

Hbomb – well I wouldn’t even go that far in terms of their success

Comparing them to Ottawa I mean. Those Sens teams were amongst the best collections of talent to never win the Cup.

I blame Jacques Martin.

Calgary has had a good club the past five years but I don’t think anyone is surprised they haven’t won it all. I’d just prefer to be in their boots than ours, especially considering they also had a close call.

This may be their best team though.

169. NBOilerFan says:

Not sure if this was mentioned above, but Burke picked up Gerber because apparrently Toskala is going to have season ending surgery.

170. HBomb says:

Dominic Moore to Chicago, according to a buddy via text – IF true, damn that’s a smart pick up by the Hawks.

171. Bruce says:

BDHS: Agreed. Calgary’s chapter of “playoff success” began and ended in 2004. Whereas Ottawa won at least one series in 4 out of 5 seasons 2002-07, and 7 series overall in that span.

They should have done even better. I too blame Jacques Martin.

172. Lord Bob says:

Interesting trade from Tampa’s standpoint. Karsums and Lashoff are both whatever the prospect version of a journeyman is: fringe players, both early twenties if memory serves me right, both with a few NHL games under their belkts but nothing to suggest they’re going to do much in the league.

Obviously it’s better than getting nothing for Recchi but, what, they couldn’t wrangle a draft pick?

173. Kristopher Milligan says:

Dear lord, bruins got tampas 2nd rounder and recchi for 2 players (lashoff and karsums) robbery?

174. mc79hockey says:

Draft picks need signing bonuses. Already drafted players don’t.

175. Coach pb9617 says:

As an aside – Pittsburgh fans are getting annoyed at Crosby.

I just offered a reasonably intelligent fan Horcoff and three firsts for Crosby.

“Done”

Hehehe, show me an insanely hot and sweet married chick and I’ll show you a dude that sick of her.

176. Bruce says:

Say it, Michael: Curtis Joseph is Done.

177. doritogrande says:

The Recchi deal is being reported as Recchi and a 2010 second-rounder to Bos for Matt Lashoff and Maxim Karsums.

I like Boston for the win on this one. Both short and long-term, because I’ve never heard of either prospect.

178. Schitzo says:

Draft picks need signing bonuses. Already drafted players don’t.

That’s so cynical it’s probably true.

179. Bank Shot says:

That peak could last a long time. Guys like Iginla, Kipper, Phaneuf, Regehr, and Langkow are all signed long term at reasonable rates.

180. Bruce says:

Habs recall Mark Denis. Somebody hurt? Or Halak on the block? *salivates*

181. NBOilerFan says:

HBomb said…

Andy Stickland at H-Buzz is reporting that.

182. Scott says:

I cannot think of any good reason for Detroit to give up a first round pick for Roloson. He is having a good year, but so is Ty Conklin. I don’t think that they would see the upgrade as being that substantial. Given that last year Huet, who is a superior goaltender, netted a 2nd round pick as a pending UFA to a team that was in more desperate need of a goalie than Detorit is today, I just can’t imagine them giving up a first round pick. Most other teams have enough cap room to take on the needed salary for Fernandez or Khabibulin.

183. Bruce says:

Marc Denis.

184. Schitzo says:

Right, but next year there’s no Cammellari and likely no Moss. Plus Kipper has not gotten better with age.

185. HBomb says:

Scott: is proven playoff performance a good reason for Detroit to make that swap?

I’d say it is.

186. quain says:

Kipper and Phaneuf aren’t signed at reasonable rates.

Kipper seems to get decent in the second half of the year, but overall isn’t playing well enough to justify his cap number.

Phaneuf seems to be leveling off as some sort of soft minute, powerplay guy that occasionally makes Pierre Maguire hard. Mark Streit but more hitting and self-pissing is probably my comparison.

Iginla’s peak is either here or in the rearview mirror, every year further is another year he’s not going to be as good.

Regehr and Langkow are probably okay.

Even if the other four guys were getting better, I’d still say this is their peak because Iginla is getting closer and closer to being worse.

187. Bob Arctor says:

Re: Marc Denis. Halak is sick with the flu.

188. Black Dog says:

Those Tampa guys are broke. So broke.

Interesting in Montreal.

Yeah Dominic Moore is a terrific player. If its true that’s a beauty pickup for Chicago.

189. gary b says:

trade Dud-line so far.

unless your a Flames fan.

190. doritogrande says:

HBomb said…

Andy Stickland at H-Buzz is reporting that.

And just shot down by the Toronto brass.

191. NBOilerFan says:

Cory Woron (TSN) just shot down the Moore to Chicago rumour. Said Leafs Mgt are saying not true.

192. Bruce says:

Recchi’s a nice pick-up for the B’s. Won a Cup as a young core player, and another as a rental. Has been around the block more than anybody else in the room. And in my view, a W-A-Y better pick-up than Gary Roberts who has a tendency to try to take over the room. Recchi will fit in to the exisiting (successful) program and be there to be counted upon when it matters most. As we saw when he went to Carolina. *sighs*

Steve Montador is a savvy pick-up as well. Lots of experience, and his one playoff run went to G7 SCF as a very useful part of that dogged Flames squad of ’04.

Boston’s room just gained quite a bit, at just the right time.

193. Kristopher Milligan says:

And im back to class, hope the oilers do something beneficial in the next hour. Enjoy!

194. Scott says:

I’d say it is.

I don’t really think it is regardless truth be told. I don’t think the playoffs are “a different game” really. Teams are all better though so it is more difficult. Just look at a guy like Iggy. When you count up his stats just against good teams it just doesn’t look as impressive. Still, if you’re a good goalie in the regular season, you should be a good goalie in the playoffs.

To take the other tack though, one of their two goalies is Chris Osgood and for all of the things one may criticize him for, “team playoff success” isn’t one.

It’ll be fun to see what Detroit does this year in the playoffs. Do they go with the guy that’s actually playing the best or do they go with the “proven playoff performer.”

195. Black Dog says:

Agreed Bruce, Boston has done nicely.

And not so interesting in Montreal then.

Still more to come, can’t see SJ and the Wings standing pat. or the Canucks. Or the Flyers. Or the Caps.

Still plenty to come.

196. Bruce says:

I have it on reasonably good authority (a couple degrees of separation) that Gary Roberts’ nickname in the Toronto media was “It’s All About Me”.

197. NBOilerFan says:

Guerin the Penguin!

198. reijo29 says:

Guerin to Penguins according to Dreger.

How did Darren Dreger become an Insider again? Anyone?

199. doritogrande says:

Anyone else think Guerin will be a bust on Crosby!‘s line? Honestly, can anyone play with the kid?

200. Ribs says:

Kunitz and now Guerin… Nice.

Newer Comments »