Deadline

The Edmonton Oilers arrive at the deadline with a team that has a real chance at the post-season. They have endured injury, bizarre coaching decisions, insane calls by the zebra’s and a management team that seems hellbent on supplying the head coach with options that he finds unusable.

I honestly don’t think there’s been a year like this one. A team that began with three goalies and now has only one, a team that relies heavily on offense from the blue, a team that lacks kings and aces up front but can still find a way to bury its most effective players.

The holes (as I see it) are scoring forward, checking center, 4-5D and a goalie the coach will actually play.

That’s a long list and that’s for sure. However, the important item is that the Oilers are buyers and that fact means today should be a very important one.

I know Craig MacTavish hopes Steve Tambellini can pull the trigger on some trades. We’ll know today.

643 Responses to "Deadline"

« Older CommentsNewer Comments »
  1. HBomb says:

Bruce: Gary Roberts is a pole smoking dirty piece of shit.

That is all.

2. NBOilerFan says:

T minus 1 hour… game really on!

;-)

3. doritogrande says:

It seems that Calgary also got a third round pick along with Jokinen.

Why can’t we have a GM like Sutter?

4. Schitzo says:

Bruce: Gary Roberts is a pole smoking dirty piece of shit.

That is all.

Christ, in that Oiler’s 10 Greatest Games set, he throws the same dirty knee in 1988 as he did on Nilsson in 2009.

5. St George says:

The Leadership of Jarome Iginla hasn’t achieved much for them so far, has it?

Other than the cup finals one year, and playoff appearances every other year, no. Those who live in glass houses …

6. reijo29 says:

How many of you would have traded
    Cogliano, Jacques or Reddox & a 1st Rounder (next year) for Jokinen & a 3rd?

I say no. I might do it for Frolov though, because he's cheaper and I think a better fit.

7. Scott says:

The Flames going forward should be fine, with the usual caveat that Kipper doesn’t (continue to) implode. Excluding Salo they only have one really bad contract going into 2010 (Vandermeer) and one other that they’d probably rather ditch (Sarich). They’ll definitely lose Cammalleri next year, but they have Jokinen instead so the drop-off shouldn’t be too large. Bourque has been a player and will be there next year. Boyd should be very signable. If they prioritize him, they might be able to get Moss signed, but I agree that he’s probably out the door. They’ll need to find some affordable depth in 2010, but so long as their big five don’t fall off a cliff they should be able to have some sustain.

8. doritogrande says:

reijo:

Cogliano >>> Lombardi. He's younger, faster, and neither can really handle the toughs.

IMO, if the Oilers were to give up a similar package, Lombardi would be Pouliot.

9. doritogrande says:

Holy ass fuck, that’s cheap for Guerin.

10. Lord Bob says:

Of course the Flames have done okay. But do you really think The Leadership of Jarome Iginla was the main factor there? Really?

11. Ribs says:

They really couldn’t get more than that for Guerin?

12. gary b says:

shades of Geraldo and Al Capone’s vault.

cmon, Tamblowe… do something!

13. CrazyCoach says:

The Flames getting Jokinen is the steal of the day so far. However, no one has pointed out that Jokinen has never played a playoff game in his entire career.

14. bookie says:

Why can’t we have a GM like Sutter?

Yes, and a coach like Keenan, and a silly little pointy tower downtown…

Meh!

15. bookie says:

Yes, Guerin was cheap, but remember that he had a no trade and provided a very short list of teams that he was willing to go to.

16. Scott says:

I’m actually surprised Guerin moved at all considering Satan didn’t get picked up on waivers… I’m surprised that the Pens think that they’re really getting better.

17. St George says:

I don’t follow the Flames closely enough to really know, and I don’t think you can really even have a good argument about things like this since they aren’t quantifiable in any meaningful way.

He is one of the few constants on the team from their cup run, with a number of changes of players and coaching. Does that make him the man? No, but it probably does tell you something. I see your point, but I would also give him some amount of credit (based on my limited knowledge).

18. Dennis says:

I like Guerin to the Pens because I loved that guy as an Oiler and I like watching the Pens play as well.

Neither guy’s Hossa but a Kunitz-Guerin wing package isn’t xactly chopd livr, either.

Guerin to Pit for a 5th round at least; 4th if Pens make the playoffs and 3rd if they win a round.

I guess Guerin’s picking his spots or the oil weren’t intrested because Guerin was certainly worth a 3rd rounder.

Lashoff looks ready to contribute and I liked that deal for TB until I saw the B’s gave up a 2nd rounder.

I like the Jokinen move for Cgy because they realize the window’s closing. It’s a concession that Cammalari isn’t coming back but they’ll be really strong down the middle this season.

I’m cool with the Oil standing pat because their chance of winning a round went down the drain when their best D went out for the year. The other fringe teams aren’t doing anything so we still have a good shot at making the playoffs.

That being said, I’d like to see a #4 guy brought in who can move the puck and defend.

Morris?

19. Loxy says:

I’m kinda bored.

20. HBomb says:

Maguire continues to wax about Bouwmeester to Vancouver.

If that fucking happens, this day will officially be as bad as the draft Friday in 2006 when the Canucks landed Luongo and Calgary landed Tanguay.

21. Schitzo says:

Well, especially now that Calgary is stronger. We’d get killed against any of Det-SJ-Cal-Chi so unless we can make third seed we might as well fold ‘em.

22. Lord Bob says:

I’m kinda bored.

Eklund confirms Reasoner to Vancouver for Roberto Luongo and two first-round picks! Reasoner has said that he’s “looking forward to sticking it to them Oilers.”

What can I say, today we need all the fake excitement we can get. I’m at work and I’m finding work as interesting as the deadline.

23. relic says:

sounds like morris is off to philly

24. kris says:

I am very bored.

Trade Carl Corrazzini for Ovechkin.

25. bookie says:

I’m kinda bored.

Desktop Tower Defense

26. Alice says:

Agree with Saint,

Never mind about the Flames – how many guys do you put above Iginla in the league? It’s a short list.
    He’s Mark Messier.

27. HBomb says:

relic: Source on that?

If so, good pickup for the Flyers…

28. bookie says:

Why even play the games? Com’n guys, its not that predictable.

29. Loxy says:

Damn, I thought I was just a bad hockey fan for sitting here with little to say but staying nonetheless.

But really, it’s a boring deadline right?

30. NBOilerFan says:

Any chance that we could get Tkachuk? He willing to come here?

31. Coach pb9617 says:

I have to believe that the Oilers have asked about Martinek too, right?

32. Bruce says:

(Coach, 12:10 p.m.)

In return the Flames get a proven playoff performer in Jokin…. wait a minute, scratch that. No. No they don’t.
    Yolli Olli has 780 GP of NHL experience, every last game in the regular season. Is that a record?
    (Bruce, 10:43 a.m.)

You’re tuning me out again, Coach.

33. Jonathan Willis says:

Kris: Why would we care if the blues traded Corrazzini for Ovechkin?

34. bookie says:

oooooh, Coach is getting Bruce’s sloppy seconds.

Am I suspended now?

35. reijo29 says:

doritogrande –

Lombardi vs Poo. Come on.

Agree, Cogs>>>Lombardi
    However, Lombardi>>>>Pouliot

Lombardi is 26 and his recent numbers are:
    2006-07 Calgary Flames NHL 81 20 26 46
    2007-08 Calgary Flames NHL 82 14 22 36
    2008-09 Calgary Flames 50 9 21 30 30
    Pouliot is 23 and his recent numbers are:
    2006-07 Oilers
    46 4 7 11
    2007-08 Oilers 24 1 6 7
    2008-09 Oilers
    56 8 10 18

Not sure how that makes them closer comparison then Cogs.

36. Dennis says:

Morris had a quietly good season playing wit Ballard in ’08.

this year not so much

For 12?

I say no but I don’t think edm has plans for 12 and I don’t think anyone wants to keep watching our current d corps.

37. relic says:

Hbomb: the talking heads on the radio. so nothing substantial.

38. kris says:

JW:

Corrazzini will always be an Oiler, even if he never played a game here, and if he was traded.

(I thought he was just loaned to the Blues’ Peoria affiliate.)

39. kris says:

Dear God, only a half hour of “excitement” to go.

40. reijo29 says:

1pm is official deadline. Deals usually announced for up to 2 hours after. Smyth trade was an hour after deadline.

41. bookie says:

So, choose your prediction

1. big shocking trade for Oilers

2. something small (i.e. cole or nilsson for a rental)

3. A buy (picks/prospects for a rental or a longer term player)

4. A sell (Cole or someone for Picks or Prospects)

5. SFA – Nothing of consequence….

Whats it going to be?? – choose your combo!!

42. Bruce says:

Loxy: It would be a lot more boring without this thread.

$$$$ are the sticking point I would have to think. Not much in the way of salary dumps other than Gerber, and that wasn’t even a trade. Maybe Leclaire falls in the same category. Or Jokinen, come to think of it. But it’s thin on the ground, for sure.

Or maybe it’s all going to break at 12:59.59.

43. Dennis says:

how didn’t the Habs match that offer for Jokinen?

lang’s out so you need a centre and they’ve got all kinds of 2010 room.

Plus, they’ve got a tonne of young forwards. Maybe the deal-maker was Lombardi’s ~1.9 mill cap hit.

44. Loxy says:

Loxy: It would be a lot more boring without this thread.

It would also be boring without Pengu Bomberman!

45. Alice says:

Put me down for a SFA,
    With sprinkles

46. PDO says:

We’ve needed a fucking third line C since July 3rd.

C’mon already.

47. Dennis says:

I’m not calling for a big deal but we’ve got 15 forwards, 43′s our 6th D and 49′s the 7th and 24′s playing top four min; not to mention that 37 looks rusty coming back.

I’d at least like a D that could help us outchance a team at EV every fifth game or so;)

48. Yeti says:

PDO – if they haven’t fixed it since July 3rd then the chances are they aint gonna fix it. Damn it.

49. Jonathan Willis says:

How has Steve Tambellini not trade Mathieu Roy and a 6th round pick for Marek Malik and a 7th round pick yet?

Grr.

50. Ribs says:

Quiet. I don’t know why Burke would deal with us but Antropov and Moore would brighten up my deadline day if they’re not doing anything else.

51. PDO says:

Upshall AND a 2nd for Carcillo?

Cap space move???

52. Coach pb9617 says:

24′s playing top four min

I don’t understand why he’s not with Grebs. Gilbert can handle the minutes and he doesn’t something besides the “kill your partner” to get the puck out.

Phoenix is selling everything else, I have to think that Reinprecht is coming to town.

Maybe Morris too?

53. Ribs says:

Man… Carcillo and Upshall were available?

54. bookie says:

No one is even willing to make a prediction other than Alice?

55. CrazyCoach says:

Whoops Bruce,

I’m just being my Alfie to your Spike.

56. bookie says:

Money, cap space, and the economy are perhaps having the biggest impact of anything this year.

57. CrazyCoach says:

Alice who the F&%$ is Alice?

Sorry couldn't resist!

58. Lord Bob says:

I made my prediction way back on the first page!

59. reijo29 says:

Sportsnet Reported – Antropov to Preds & TSN reporting Antropov to NYR.

This is the true test as to which network is worth watching in future years.

60. speeds says:

bookie: I’ll guess with EDM acquiring Reasoner.

61. Black Dog says:

here we go.

62. PDO says:

Antropov better be a Ranger and not a Pred or I’ll lose it…

63. Bruce says:

Dennis: Agreed, last night’s exceptional game from 5-43 notwithstanding. I’m of the camp that would rather see Ladi in the top 4 and Staios down the charts, tho’ that brings the dreaded 24-43 duo back into play. I’d rather bring in somebody who can actually play with Staios, meaning he needs to be, like, good.

77-5 is a nice pair, and 37-44 might be alright, but a real solid third pairing guy would really help.

As early as next year, that’s Peckham. But for the stretch drive I’d rather have somebody with 500 GP under his belt. Besides Struds. )

64. Bruce says:

I’ll bet on TSN 7 days a week.

65. reijo29 says:

I have watched TSN all day. Only thing Sportsnet is good for is Female Anchors & Bullshit Trade Rumours.

Antropov to NYR. Officially.

66. Ribs says:

bookie – I’ll take a little bit of 2 and a bit of 3.

67. CrazyCoach says:

heh heh

Thanks Bookie!

68. Bruce says:

Are the SportsNet “experts” chewing on their words yet?

69. hunter1909 says:

So. Where’s Kovalchuck?

LOL.

70. CrazyCoach says:

5 minutes

71. CrazyCoach says:

I bet the networks are right pissed at the lack of movement today. Bosses everywhere rejoice at the increase in productivity today.

72. CrazyCoach says:

and with that, it’s time for lunch!

73. Ribs says:

We haven’t even made our annual Islanders trade yet?

74. Alice says:

I think Tambellini was at the mall today, apparently there’s some good things for sale there. Maybe pick up a couple of shirts, grab an Orange Julius. Call it a day.

75. Black Dog says:

I thought Tambellini was supposed to be in Ottawa? I just saw him and Lowe at McVeigh’s having a pint. ;)

76. bookie says:

TYCHKOWSKI just made this big announcement

“Tambellini is indeed trying to get something done”

Wow, big news there!

77. Scott says:

I’m quite surprised that Philadephia needed to give up as much as they did to create cap space. I mean, Carcillo is a real downgrade from Upshall AND they gave up a pick.

78. Yeti says:

bookie – he has 60 seconds to get it done by my watch…

79. Unleaded says:

Time.

80. HBomb says:

Morris to the Rangers, and with that, it`s 1pm Edmonton time….

81. reijo29 says:

Bruce – Just went back on the DVR to watch Kypreos & Smith react to Antropov actually being traded to NYR.

They basically tried to laugh off the fact that they fucked up and RJ Broadhead said "that's why they call them rumours."

82. Black Dog says:

Yeah there are still going to be plenty to announce I think.

Morris to NYR.

83. Loxy says:

So…

84. bookie says:

I await with great anticipation for an announcement to come… seriously anything…just so we have something else to talk about…

85. namflashback says:

trades need to be confirmed by the league. so faxes or equivalent need to be on NHL desks and as they get confirmed, they can go public.

So time is up to make the deal, but some deals might just be awaiting approval from the league.

86. Schitzo says:

Was J-Bo the only huge UFA this year? We seem to be lacking a Smyth or a Hossa this time.

87. Scott says:

I’d say Phoenix has had a very good day today. Identified themselves as sellers and then they actually sold! But seriously, lots of picks and young players.

88. HBomb says:

Morris for Kalinin, Dawes and Prucha?

Wow, Phoenix did OK there. Dawes is the key.

Dominic Moore has been traded too…to where, it’s a mystery….

89. Schitzo says:

Kalinin, Dawes, AND Prucha?

90. digger says:

So…I guess we’ll have to be OK with Horcoff leading the known galaxy in faceoffs taken, and will continue to take them until his arms actually fall off.

91. Ribs says:

Phoenix with some nice audition kids pickups.

92. Bruce says:

Reijo29: I haven’t changed channels at all … TSN keeps it coming with 4 (!) different panels, and John Garret, Nick Kypreos, Bill Watters and Doug MacLean aren’t on any of them. That’s good enough for me. Commercials are for blogging.

Any doubt as to which network attracts the better talent was settled once and for all when Ray Ferraro made the jump. For him it was the equivalent of going from the AHL to the NHL.

Love your handle btw, Reijo29. Puts two Cups in my smile every time.

93. Black Dog says:

schitzo – yeah thats it – Antropov probably the biggest name amongst the forwards

still more to come, the Leafs were definitely going to move Moore unless they managed to sign him, very unlikely

maybe I’m nuts but Philly was clearing space for someone unless that was Morris and it fell through.

still the Wings, Caps, Canucks to hear from, maybe another move from the BJs

94. reijo29 says:

Carcillo only makes 400k less then Upshall, so I don’t think the 2nd round pick was in order for them to take on any salary.

95. Unleaded says:

Wow… Does anyone else think that’s an overpay for Morris?

Seems that way from where I’m sitting…

96. Loxy says:

CBC reporting that Ponikarovky could be on his way from the Toronto Maple Leafs to the Nashville Predators..

97. Loxy says:

Moore to Buffalo.

98. bookie says:

Ok, I guess its time to hope our Oilers are a bunch of guys who rise to the occasion and that the last month or so of hockey is different than what has happened to this point.

Go Oilers!

99. Schitzo says:

Why are the Sabres and Rangers buyers? Sabres maybe need the 2 home playoff games, but the Rags?

100. Loxy says:

TSN: Atlanta trades Erik Christensen to Anaheim

101. uni says:

I’m holding out for the announcements after 3PM, so I’m not going to concede this as the most boring deadline quite yet.

If that Morris trade is real, NYR got mugged.

102. Loxy says:

Dan Tencer says Oilers have made a deal, just hasn’t come out yet.

103. Bruce says:

How would you like to be Mike Keenan knowing that your opinion as Jokinen’s once and future coach is irrelevant next to that of “my brother Duane”.

Unbelievable.

104. Loxy says:

Samuel Pahlsson of the Anaheim Ducks to the Chicago Blackhawks.

Supposedly.

105. Schitzo says:

Samuel Pahlsson of the Anaheim Ducks to the Chicago Blackhawks.

If the Moore thing nearly happened, that’s a pretty good plan B

106. Lord Bob says:

Don’t worry, Bruce. The Leadership of Jarome Iginla will keep Keenan in line and happy.

107. bookie says:

I would listen to my ddog before Keenan.

108. bookie says:

If we don’t hear about a ‘stand pat – no trade’ quickly, then I suspect some phone calls are being made to an Oiler or two to tell them that they are being traded. Perhaps a couple of kids on the farm as well as they take longer to find….

Lets wait and see…

109. Bruce says:

13 trades reported on TSN.ca to this point.

110. Phil says:

@Unleaded – I thought the same thing. If he was worth that, it’s no wonder guys like Boumeester didn’t move.

Sutter obviously making his run. They look pretty good down the middle.

Now that it’s all over, I’m not crushed that the Oil stood pat. The cost to fix what needs to be fixed this year would’ve been way too high, and the pieces they need will be available this summer at a lower price.

The fact that Lowe didn’t force Tambo to do something, in order to save MacT’s job (as LT has been suggesting) is a good sign. It could’ve gotten ugly.

111. mc79hockey says:

Dan Tencer says Oilers have made a deal, just hasn’t come out yet.

He’d know – I’m pretty sure he sits in the room and writes the press releases.

Re: Sutter. Incompetent as Lowe is, I’m impressed at how he manages not to seem like a dick all the time. I wouldn’t have thought it was hard but then I see Sutter and he just struggles with it.

112. Unleaded says:

Tyler, that was fabulous. Thanks for the chuckle.

I’m still dreading we’ll hear that Smid is out the door.

113. NBOilerFan says:

bookie said…
    TYCHKOWSKI just made this big announcement

“Tambellini is indeed trying to get something done”

Wow, big news there!

This is the type of stuff KLowe has the Edm media report… as they try to defuse the fan backlash due to theh fact that yet again they did shit fucka all…. again.

… “but they were trying hard”

114. Bruce says:

Jeez, our second rounder will be ahead of Buffalo’s. Dominic Moore would have been a nice fit. With all our depth at young C, a rental wouldn’t be the worst idea.

115. gary b says:

Dear Calgary:

wow, guess you better win a Cup now, huh?

no pressure.

116. Black Dog says:

Based on the movement so far I wouldn’t worry about Smid going. No firsts moved at all, am I right?

No prospects of any real note since the Whitney deal, right?

Not sure what Sather was thinking. Cap space to make it work?

117. uni says:

So far the Coyotes look to have come out hands down as the big winners this trade deadline.

Lombardi, 1st round pick, Kalinin, Dawes, Prucha, Upshall for Jokinen, Morris, Carcillo.

Yikes, they actually get better, deeper, and a 1st round pick.

118. Unleaded says:

Just took a look at the O’Dell kid that Atlanta got. He looks like he might have major upside. If he continues to perform in the OHL, that might look like a steal in a couple of years.

119. Yeti says:

If something did happen I guess we picked up Marty for a surplus tweener prospect or 3rd.

120. Scott says:

So HBomb,

Is your last name Upperton?

He’d know – I’m pretty sure he sits in the room and writes the press releases.

Ha!

121. HBomb says:

Scott: I’m guessing there’s a joke there that I’m missing for some reason.

122. Scott says:

It seems like the Calgary Flames are over the cap to me. Or are they putting Langkow on LTIR?

123. Schitzo says:

No firsts moved at all, am I right?

Calgary’s for Rolli Olli

124. Black Dog says:

Ahh, I forgot Calgary’s.

And Ottawa’s way back when.

I have nothing against standing pat if the market is goofy – this team isn’t going anywhere but when the cost for most of these guys were 2nd rounders and below I’m thinking they probably could have done something.

125. Scott says:

Scott: I’m guessing there’s a joke there that I’m missing for some reason.

Sorry. I’m ridiculous. There was a lady bobsledder named Helen Upperton telling her story about going to the Olympics in 2010. Her nick is HBomb. So cheer hard for her if nothing else!

126. Unleaded says:

Toronto is really going hard for draft picks this year. Is their plan to just throw all their draft picks in next year? Because right now, they’re down a lot of bodies…

127. Scott says:

Tampa Bay = completely broke… err… “positioning for free agency”

128. Schitzo says:

You haven’t heard? They’ll sign all the UFAs at below market value, because everyone wants to play in Toronto

129. HBomb says:

Scott: Yeah, I’ll be rooting/drinking for her next February. Bobsled is a cool sport.

130. reijo29 says:

Scott – Brent Sutter said in his post trade press conference that he still had more cap room if necessary. Made a snide comment about where the reporters get their information.

131. uni says:

You can always grab useful parts off waivers or sign any number of utility free agents, college grads, euro veterans on the cheap.

Since their team is essentially Kaberle, Kubina, two 2nd liners, and a bunch of 3-4th liners I see no better plan than to flush it and grab whatever picks they can get.

132. mc79hockey says:

Gord Miller is the guy who shouts fire in a theatre.

133. Scott says:

Earl Sleek cries today. Either that or he’s now a fan of the Chicago Blackhawks.

134. Backhand says:

Mackensie confirms oilers made a trade as did carolina…interesting

135. Unleaded says:

HFboards seem to be having issues… guess I can’t go take a peek…

136. NBOilerFan says:

Looks to me like the Coyotes did very well in this deadline… especially in that Morris trade.

137. Schitzo says:

Good for Chicago, Pahlsson will really help.

138. HBomb says:

CHED speculating it might involve Carolina and Ruutu. Hmmmm….

139. Scarlett says:

CHED is mentioning Ruutu for Cole. Not confimed yet but a maybe.

140. Schitzo says:

What’s Ruutu’s contract situation?

141. reijo29 says:

I would be very very happy with that trade but it must be Cole + Something for Ruutu.

142. NBOilerFan says:

If its for Ruutu… what is it in addition to Cole?

143. NBOilerFan says:

Schitzo said…
    What’s Ruutu’s contract situation?

Ruutu is a RFA after this season.

144. reijo29 says:

Ruutu – 1yr. 2.25

RFA at end of year

145. Black Dog says:

Ruutu is an RFA this summer I think.

146. NBOilerFan says:

Ruutu is an Arbitration Eligible RFA as well.

147. voxel says:

I’d be more interested in Justin Williams than Ruutu

148. Schitzo says:

Good goddamn, Anaheim has given up

149. Lord Bob says:

Please let’s have Ruutu. Pleasepleaseplease. This whole day would be worthwhile if we flipped Erik Cole for Tuomo Ruutu.

150. Sean says:

Agreed

151. relic says:

Moen and Huskins to SJ

152. Schitzo says:

Plus, god willing it would send Pitkanen into a deep emo funk and they’d have to trade him.

Fucking Finns.

153. reijo29 says:

O’sullivan traded to Canes

154. quain says:

Pronger > Lupul > Pitkanen > Cole > Ruutu.

It never ends. Every season we get a new chain link.

155. Scott says:

Not to be a downer too quickly or anything, but…

In spite of their lack of actual scoring the Cole/Gagner pair has been the only one consistently carrying the play. Further, Cole has probably been our best PK forward this year.

156. uni says:

That’s just what Calgary needed, for Chi-town to get better. That’s a good trade any way you slice it for them.

Mclaren to Philly for a 6th rounder isn’t bad either. You’re telling me the Oilers couldn’t have flipped a 6th for Mclaren? It’s a decent gamble where I sit; unless he really is all the way down that end slope of his career.

157. markmac says:

not carolina – they just got o’sullivan from LA…

158. Ben says:

O’Sullivan to Carolina so maybe the Carolina and Edmonton trades aren’t mutual

159. Black Dog says:

LA moves O’Sullivan – must be for Williams.

160. reijo29 says:

O’sullivan to edmonton

161. Ben says:

O’Sullivan to Edmonton

162. NBOilerFan says:

O’Sullivan to the Oilers…

163. Lord Bob says:

Patrick O’Sullivan?!?

164. Schitzo says:

Well, that means Frolov isn’t going anywhere any time soon :(

165. markmac says:

scratch that – he’s an oiler!

166. Backhand says:

O’sullivan? really? :(

167. kris says:

O’sullivan to Edm now?

168. Phil says:

We get O’sullivan?

169. speeds says:

Interesting to see what the Oil component is, this is fun anyways.

170. grease trap says:

Here we go,

Patrick O’Sullivan comes to town.

No word yet on who’s leaving in the 3-way

171. Ribs says:

Neato.

172. Scott says:

Patrick O’Sullivan! Hell Yeah! Apparently the only teams we talk to are Carolina, Philadelphia, Long Island and Los Angeles.

173. rider guy says:

patrick o’sullivan to oilers according to tencer. part of 3 way with kings and canes. no other details yet.

174. Loxy says:

TSN says O’Sullivan to Edmonton. But none of the other names released.

175. PDO says:

O’Sullivan? That came right the fuck out of no where.

176. Gord says:

Cole is gone?

177. Bruce says:

Yikes, they actually get better, deeper, and a 1st round pick.

Uni: Not to mention younger, and most importantly, cheaper. The Yotes also acquired a 2nd rounder along with that 1st.

The 3-for-1 is interesting, given that all four are roster players. All have contracts that expire at season's end, with Morris and Kalinin both UFA's and Prucha and Dawes are RFA.

In answer to "WTF is Slats thinking?", it must be [Morris >>> Kalinin ; Prucha + Dawes = Out the Door]. Spend their money on better talent this summer. Or promote from within … not quite sure what they're sitting on there in Manhatten.

Most important, make it look like you're doing something, anything, to make the Rangers a contendah.

I'm surprised there's not a bit more noise about Nik Antropov, who is not only younger and bigger than Olli Jokinen, he also happens to be the top scoring NHLer to get moved (so far) today

Antropov 21-25-46
    Jokinen 21-21-42
    Moore 12-29-41
    O'Sullivan 16-21-37
    Guerin 16-20-36
    Lombardi 9-21-30
    (who have I missed?);

Antropov's got some Penner in him, his flaws are much more visible than his strengths. The combination of body mass and soft hands can get a lot done. He's a career +54, all of it in Toronto, so he must be doing something right. Including, as of now, getting the fuck out of Toronto.

178. Nennog says:

Poor Patty…You’re going home, kid! Actually, you’re going to Edmonton…this is a trade that signals next year for the Oil, no doubt.

179. Lord Bob says:

O’Sullivan turned 24 in February and is a pretty decent player in Los Angeles. Offense-first guy who Craig MacTavish will probably want to shoot through the heart, but he’s got some hops.

Not the next Gretzky by any means. But I’d take him for Erik Cole plus prospects, if that’s how it pans out.

180. Scott says:

I’ll take Liam Reddox in the going to Carolina pool.

181. voxel says:

Patrick O’Sullivan is a better Nilsson – more of shooter than Rowbear. He costs a good chunk more.

We either send Cole or Nilsson or maybe both to Carolina.

182. Black Dog says:

Whoa.

183. reijo29 says:

2007-08 82 22 31 53 36
    2008-09 62 14 23 37 16

3yr. 8,775,000
    He will be paid $4 million this season and $2,387,500 in 2009-10 and 2010-11, an average and salary-cap hit of $2.925 million per season.

Just turned 24.

Say Hello to our first line LW.

184. voxel says:

O’Sullivan was pretty good defensively last year – more than Nilsson ever was. He’s just another small forward… I hope we send Nilsson out and not Cole.

185. grease trap says:

Just by the by:

Patrick O’Sullivan

186. quain says:

Yeah, that was the first thing I checked on O’Sully: 200 shots this season.

Hello shoot-first winger.

187. PDO says:

Voxel: That was my general impression.

He’s a RW?

188. Black Dog says:

There was talk somewhere of Williams going to LA from Carolina.

So who did we ship out?

189. grease trap says:

Erik Cole back to Carolina

190. PDO says:

O’Sullivan, and Picks for Cole.

Fuck me.

191. NBOilerFan says:

Patrick O’Sullivan is 5’11″ and 190lbs… another smaller forward.

192. grease trap says:

How is this a plus? Someone please explain it to me.

193. namflashback says:

Weren’t O’Sullivan and Schremp on the London Knights together?

194. Lord Bob says:

Wait.

We got picks?

I’m dancing.

195. Gord says:

O'Sullivan & Kotaliuk ?

196. markmac says:

o’sullivan for cole. straight up? with maybe picks coming to edmonton?

i’m quite fine with that.

197. mc79hockey says:

Mirtle just told me that this is actually a four team deal and the Oilers got Kotalik as well.

198. voxel says:

IMO Justin Williams is the best player in the “3-way” deal. He’s just having an off-year.

199. Ribs says:

The army of midgets grows stronger each minute.

« Older CommentsNewer Comments »