Ducks at Oilers G77/08-09

There is no photo available to describe tonight’s game. A win is the only option, and even then the Oilers may need some help in the next week.

All is not lost. Should the Oilers win tonight and play a consistent game during this homestand the odds favor them grabbing a piece of the second season.

I know where my money is.

533 Responses to "Ducks at Oilers G77/08-09"

Newer Comments »
  1. OF17 says:

While it is certainly possible that the Oilers make the playoffs, I wouldn’t count on it myself. They’re going to keep it interesting until the end for sure though. If they lose tonight, it’ll be damn near impossible.

2. Slats says:

They don’t control their own destiny anymore so they definitely need help not just may need help.

Even if they go 6-0 they still need the Blues or Preds to lose.

3. Satisfied_to_Ignore says:

Damn Thursdays! Thank goodness there is only one Thursday game left, and it is the Sharks anyways so we are expected to lose!

Mact looks desperate and like he has no idea what to do. At this point in the year I don’t know how much is really up to the coach anyways. These players need to decide if they want the playoffs, not for the coach, but for themselves and each other.

It has been suggested previously that some of the problems in the room may be caused by trying to keep Hemmer happy. I think this is true.

I don’t think the players are playing for each other, and for that reason they are likely going to not make it. I hate that. And I blame Mact. I do not think he has been clear to the players what their roles are on this team, what the expectations for each player is individually and I definitely think he has no overall plan. He is going game to game reacting, instead of being proactive.

morning rants! time for work :)

4. Mr DeBakey says:

More spunk, Less funk
    More Go, Less show
    More Emotion, Less demotion
    More Try, Less something that rhymes with try

Pie

5. Schitzo says:

Going to the game tonight and again to Vancouver on Saturday. I just hope we’re still in the hunt by then. Nothing worse than a mean-nothing game.

6. Oilman says:

I can’t see Dustin Penner buying into that last one Mr. D.

7. kanadienkyle says:

Schitzo, I am also flying up for the Vancouver game. I figured it would be a good time to head to Edmonton, but now I have to spend my week on pins and needles hoping the game is meaningful.

After all, I have already seen Taylor Chorney get taken wide by the best the WCHA has to offer.

8. HBomb says:

Ok, so they probably need four wins plus some help.

- Tonight’s game.

- Either the San Jose or Vancouver game.

- The LA game.

- One of the two Calgary games.

They do that, I figure they’ve got a chance to make it. Four wins is the bare minimum requirement, and if they could stretch one of the losses past sixty, they help enchance their chances even more.

But they’re going to need help, something I wouldn’t be on them getting at this point. They only have themselves to blame for being in this position.

9. Schitzo says:

In all fairness, Gagner has stepped up massively in March.

10. Lord Bob says:

I think the Ducks outchance the Oilers by a factor of two. Roloson is huge, and we lose 3-2.

11. Sean says:

Back from Europe and get to watch my first hockey game in over 2 weeks. They started off so well when I was gone, wft happened?

Oilers need to make a run here. 5 home games and a fan base desperate to get behind them it is doable. But this team hasnt caught traction all here. 9th place is worst case and the Oilers need some positive press (ie playoffs) to have a chance at a guy like JBo. Its time for Horcoff, Pisani, Hemsky or Moreau to take charge here. Score the first goal for a change too.

12. pboy says:

I was of the belief that the Oilers needed at least 4 out of 6 points against the Coyotes, Ducks and Wild for them to really have a chance and since they didn’t put out the effort to get there, I think they are as good as done. Unless of course, they play against type and figure out how to play at home and that hasn’t really happened yet this year and there is no reason to believe it’s going to start tonight. I agree with everyone who says that it would be important for the young players on this team to get some playoff experience but when a team limps to the finish like this, you have to wonder what kind of fight they will be capable of putting up in the post season.

I’ve been saying all year that I felt the Oiler’s would be better off with a new head coach but I refuse to cheer against my team just because I think missing the playoffs again will give me what I want. Winning 4 out of the last 6 might be enough to get them in and I would love to watch some playoff hockey even though it could be as few as 4 games considering it would be against either San Jose or Detroit. MacTavish seems like a good guy and he definitely doesn’t deserve to be the only fall guy in the organization. Kevin Lowe has done a horrible job of providing a balanced team and his head should be on the chopping block as well. I do get the impression that Lowe will still be around after this year though and Tambo was brought in to bring a fresh perspective and possibly take care of some dirty work that Lowe can’t do on his own. ie: Relieve Kevin’s friend of his head coaching duties.

13. Brett Gee 英 明 says:

If Wayne Gretzky were dead he’d be rolling over in his grave.

14. R-Gib says:

Oh man. It’s been a long time since I’ve seen a LT thread w/o a photo!

I rarely comment here but do read often, and for some reason felt the need to chime in my penny’s worth.

It’s been a long time since I had butterflies in my stomach before an Oilers game (SCF ’06 would be the last time) and I guess that’s telling in just how big this game is. Whipping boy Dustin had himself a wonderful game Friday night, and I expect him to show up with that passion again against the Quackers and his old hated coach. Not sure how much Dwayne has left in the tank, as it looks like he’s fading, but I’m sure pulling for the guy. Here’s hoping the loss of Smid isn’t as big as I think it might be.

Strap in boys and girls, it’s gonna be one hell of a ride.

15. DBO says:

I agree with Pboy in that while i hope to never see Mact behind the bench for the Oil after this year, I will still cheer my loudest for the Oil. hell, i even put money down on playoff tickets.
    As for the team itself, i’d catogorize this year as “frustrating”.
    - the coach is frustrated with the lack of consistent effort
    - the management is frustrated with their inability to take care of the goaltending issue early and the lack of balance in the lineup
    - the older players are frustrated with their declining skills and lack of effort from the young guys
    - the young guys are frustrated with the stiffling of their offense and the fact that one mistake sends them too the bench when the older guys continue to get repeated free passes.
    - our only offensive star (up front) is frustrated with the lack of chances he’s geting, both from the coach and from the fact that he has no one who can play with him.
    - the fans are frustrated with all of the above.

And yet i am still hopeful we can make the playoffs. I am hopeful we get Detroit, since their goaltending is so shaky we might have a chance. I am hopeful the kids let loose this last 6 games and magic happens. i am hopeful that the lines actually mesh and some heart gets injected into this lineup. i’m hopeful that Rollie continues his strong play and we squeak in to the playoffs.
    I hope… I hope.

16. Bruce says:

More try, Less cry

More skate, Less wait
    More hit, Less quit (or …)
    More fight, Less bite
    More score, Less bore
    More win, Less spin

17. Bruce says:

Less fail, More tail

18. pboy says:

“We need more consistency in the intensity we bring and more individual responsibility,” said Oilers head coach Craig MacTavish.

And by individual responsibility, of course I mean thecaptainethanmoreau can take as many penalties in front of the other teams net that he wants and I expect our team to kill them because they are of an aggressive nature and therefore much easier to kill.

19. pboy says:

thecaptainethanmoreau trademarked by Bruce

20. Bruce says:

thecaptainethanmoreau trademarked by Bruce

PBoy: Trademarked by Kevin Quinn, I’m just trying to capture it onscreen. You have to “hear” it in Quinn’s voice, stirring with admiration, nay reverence. Maybe I should spell it TheCAPTAINethanmoreau.

21. Phil says:

Man, that “7th Man” video they have on their site is sad on so many levels.

“Hi. We’re your Edmonton Oilers. We can’t do anything on the ice to get you excited, but nonetheless, we’d like you to cheer like we’re really awesome. It hurts our feelers when you boo us!”.

My Spock side says they’re done, my fan side says there’s hope, but for the first time I can remember, I think I actually hope they don’t make it, just to help insure that there’s changes in coaching next year.

MacT saying yesterday that he has a simple message that just isn’t getting through to the team, and that the players don’t play for each other. If that isn’t a coach that’s lost the room, I don’t know what is.

Open letter to Katz:

Dear Mr. Katz,

Brent Sutter wants to come home to Alberta. Please offer him a lot of money. That is all.

Sincerely,

The Oiler’s Faithful Masses Who’ve Payed Shitloads of Money to See This Team Mail it In All Season, and Deserve Better.

22. St George says:

OT, but only sort of, since it was indirectly about tonight’s game … I just watched the video on the Oiler website where Horcoff, Gagner, Strudwick, Grebs, and one other player I can’t remember glumly sat in front of the camera and asked the fans to cheer hard for them the final few games to help them win.

As much as they are paid, I felt sorry for those poor players, who were clearly being forced to “speak to the fans” in front of the camera. The whole thing had a disturbing totalitarian feel to it, essentially Soviet-Union-Circa-1960 (you know, kind of like Gary Powers confessing).

I am not sure if their goal was to make me feel sad, but that’s pretty much what they accomplished.

23. bookie says:

MacT’s comments and our own eyes tell us that this team is a bunch of disorganized and ambivilant characters who would pretty much give up and starve if someone locked them in a cardboard box.

BUT, I am really confused because when I look at a lot of these players – Hemsky, Horcoff, Moreau, Gagner, Cogs, Pisani, Staois, Souray, previously Cole, Gilbert, Grebs, and Sortini I don’t see a lack of heart. Even some of the questionable players have played with emotion and energy in the past.

Penner may sometimes be a bit selective with his work ethic, but he is not destroying the faberic of this team and niether are any of the other players.

I get that we lost some character guys in the last year or two, but I don’t think that this is the problem.

After supporting him on and off, I think I have to conclude that MacT is unable to get the best out of his players. I think he lost his ability to coach when the easy players left the room.

This does not preclude the fact that there are some structural problems on this team, but it says something when nobody but the goalie shows up to play anymore.

24. gary b says:

where IS your money, LT? :P

the (somewhat) good news is – win tonight, and if we can catch up/stay even with the Dicks and the Blues, we win tiebreakers with both. provided we have equal win totals, of course.

25. Doogie2K says:

I tried to find a picture of Hemsky scoring the goal against Anaheim that put the Oilers into the playoffs in ’06, but no dice.

26. Doogie2K says:

On the other hand, the NHL has video.

27. Coach pb9617 says:

Raise your hand if you think there is ANY chance he’s talking about the worst forward in the playoff race.

28. Traktor says:

Only 6 more games until the cancer is removed.

29. Swabbubba says:

You know I get that a coach is supposed to be a motivator. But at this point of the season the team it self should want things bad enough. They need to play like they do in the 3rd. Skate, Hit , shoot repeat as necessary until you have a 3 goal lead then Skate, Hit ,shoot, fight, until u have a 5 goal lead. Then run goalies until the game is over.
    The thing that a team can do is skate… it is the simple things that are going to get them in.
    If they miss… new coach and captain because they did not get it done.

30. CrazyCoach says:

I highly doubt Brent Sutter would be interested in coming to Edmonton. If I remember correctly after the Oil beat the Isles in 84, they asked either Brent or Duane Sutter about their Alberta fans, and the reply was, “These people are not my fans. These people are sucks!”

But then again, Cyndi Lauper sung that money changes everything.

I better go drink me a Diet Pepsi. The 80′s references are getting thick.

I guess now that I’ve started a new course and have a little spare time, I can watch the game tonight.

Go Oilers.

31. Coach pb9617 says:

Has Gagner cooled since Nilsson was scapegoated under a bus?

32. Chris says:

The Oilers have made about the most uninspired playoff push I’ve ever seen. I supose I would feel better about their lack of sucess if they at least seemed to being going out there and looking like you’re trying to win. If you don’t look like you’re trying you better have some sucess on the score sheets or there isn’t much there to be optomistic about.

33. Mr DeBakey says:

Guess Matheson can’t write an article without sticking his tonugue up “The Captain’s” back-side.

It was HHOF Jim who inspired me this morning.

“Less skill, more will.”

More Game, not so Tame
    We’re the Most, ain’t no Toast
    Just Win, Losing’s a Sin
    They were Worse, its Perverse
    Sounds silly, something something Meadow Lily
    In your face, on your Case
    Pressed up against the glass, head up yer…
    Where’s the passion, should be smashin’

34. Mr DeBakey says:

Nilsson was scapegoated under a bus?

I think Row-Bear has a lower body injury.

35. Coach pb9617 says:

But then again, Cyndi Lauper sung that money changes everything.

And Ted Dibiase said that everyone has a price.

These are gents that have been motivated previously. Perhaps they’d rather not play all out for a coach that they’d rather not have?

OT: A media type that I know and trust told me that the Panthers turned down a whopper of a package from the Bruins for Bouwmeester at the deadline. A package that included a 30 goal scorer, a defensive prospect and a 1st.

36. HBomb says:

Coach: That sure as shit sounds like the Bruins dangling Kessel, Lashoff and a 1st for J-Bo. Damn, he and Chara as a pair would have been scary.

And Ted Dibiase said that everyone has a price.

This is MY kind of 80′s reference. Gotta love old-school WWF stuff.

Ok, gotta ask the masses – we know that the stretch drive in 2007 was a 2-win-in-20 games shit-fest. I’m honestly having a harder time watching THIS stretch drive than that one, even though we’re actually still in the hunt. Reason being is that this team should be better (the 2007 collection of players had a ton of injuries, and precisely three capable NHL veterans in Smith, Horcoff and Pisani, and was doomed from the minute the Smyth trade went down).

37. Kyle says:

I think you’re betting on black. I’m betting on red.

38. Phil says:

John Tortorella couldn’t express enough despise for Avery after the ‘incident’ this year, and last night he couldn’t express enough praise for the same guy. People change their opinions if they have a reason.

I was thinking this exact thing the other day. At least that team looked like they were trying. Except, Hbomb, buddy… only 3 NHL veterans? How can you so quickly forget one Toby Peterson?

Best. Oiler. Ever.

39. Coach pb9617 says:

Yeah. Amazing that.

40. geowal says:

For those worrying about the Vancouver game being meaningful, it’s starting to look like my ticket to the last game of the season in Calgary is going to spent hoping we can screw the flames out of their division title.
    Sigh.
    I agree with the sentiment that the abberation of a stretch drive in 2007 was easier to cheer for. The players played hard, they just weren’t good/experienced players so last on a regular basis.

41. hunter1909 says:

“Only 6 more games until the cancer is removed”.

MacTavish? Moreau? Lowe? Assistant Coaches? Staios?

Ce’st ne pas un understandingmment. Ce’st ne pas francais, packaging du cereal avec moi = educationmment.

42. digger says:

For me, the 2007 “stretch” drive at least had some quality gallows humour going on, it had a “Manos, the Hand of Fate” so-bad-it’s-funny vibe with it.

This year? I’m not laughing so much. This joke’s pretty much run its course, as all jokes inevitably do.

43. Jon G says:

Well when you get down to it the Oil need the game tonight, no one to blame but themselves if they miss the playoffs

44. hunter1909 says:

I’m sure MacTavish and Moreau will find someone else to hold accountable for this dismal season.

45. Dennis says:

Let’s just assume that we beat Ana in reg and we grab two points in however manner vs the Kings.

We’ll also assume Ana takes some losses down the stretch and that Minny falls to the wayside as well.

Just work with me here;)

Nsh has a tough remaining sked and they’re banged up but they’re also three points and two wins ahead of us And they’ve got the first tiebreaker on us as well. So, basically they’re four points up on us with six games left.

Let’s give them 7th place and move on.

So, it’s the Oilers vs the Blues for 8th and we’re three points or a tie in wins away from taking them down.

Blues remaining sked: at Chi-Det-Dal-Phx-Col and vs CBJ.

Mark them down for two wins and four points at Phx and Col and we’ll work from there.

Oil remaining sked: vs Ana-SJ-Van-LA-Cgy and vs Cgy.

The Oilers ARE DONE.

46. Dennis says:

oh, I forgot, mark the Blues down for a win at Dal as well.

47. Coach pb9617 says:

The Oilers ARE DONE.

I think that the new round of spherical posts should be about the new coach. Need to start pushing the out of the organization agenda.

48. Jon G says:

Hunter that may be true… but if you look back to the beginning of the year there are many games the Oilers as a team choked on and lost key points that is hurting them now.

49. quain says:

We should all talk about how the team needs a new coach. It worked with all of our posts about how the team needs to trade Roloson a year ago.

I feel our power is unstoppable!

50. rider guy says:

Coach, as far as the next coach is concerned…

I was one of the few who thought MacT might be able to survive if / when we miss the playoffs. However, after listening to his post game clips on Sunday and his post practice comments yesterday, it’s pretty obvious that he’s a dead man walking if they don’t get in and do some damage, and he knows it. I’ve never seen or heard a coach so perplexed or frustrated in my entire life. His comments about not having a game that they can revert to when the crap hits the fan were extremely telling and accurate, imo. I just can’t believe he’s that brutally honest at this stage of the season.

Assuming he gets axed or resigns, it will be interesting to see who they get to replace him, but I don’t think we need to worry too much about Bucky being the “Chosen One”. We don’t know a whole lot about Katz, but we do know that one guy that’s got his ear, for whatever reason, is Stauffer and the big guy spent pretty much the entire last year of his show on The Team (hey remember when we used to have a sports station in this town) hammering Bucky and his “system”. You know Bobby would go mental with a coach who thinks a system revolves around blocking shots with your face, ringing the puck around the glass and fighting guys twice as big as you.

51. Lord Bob says:

The only question about tonight’s game is how Shawn Horcoff is going to be singlehandedly responsible for our losing this one.

52. Satisfied_to_Ignore says:

So LT, time for a post on what changes we need to make for next year.

Personally I feel hemmer is a cancer and not good enough to build a team around. Vish is too much for us to keep with Souray, and i’d rather have souray.

So, hemmer for Horton in fla. Then swap vish and nilsson for a 3rd line center and a vet D and a couple picks. Now sign two mid range vet goalies (Labarbera/Garon etc).

Then if we could resign Cole, well, that would be sweet.

(Note, this is in no way based in reality, just dreaming out loud)

now lines are:

Penner-horc-horton
    osull-gags-cole
    cogs-new center-pisani
    jaq-brodz-stortini
    smac

souray-staios
    grebs-gibby
    smid-vetD
    Peckham

new goalie #1
    new goalie #1/JDD

Horc improves with the 3rd line center taking some of his load off, 25 goals, horton 25+ goals, cole 25+ goals, penner used right gets 25+ goals. Gags/cogs/Pisani/souray/osull all around 20. That’s 300 goals there, and the others toss in a few making us top 5 in GF in the league.

Ahh, it is nice to dream…

53. Lord Bob says:

Wow. You’re actually, like, Bizarro Lowetide. What’s next, calling Tim Raines an overhyped, glorified pinch runner?

54. Coach pb9617 says:

LT, I put some effort into your kids at-bats notion because I needed something to write about. I’ll have some stuff up this week…

55. Chris says:

Oh that’s an easy one – by not being a real first line centre.

56. Satisfied_to_Ignore says:

Lord Bob:

Sorry, not entirely sure what you mean. Unfortunately all the great baseball references in these threads are lost on me.

Hemmer is a point a game guy. He can be a game breaker, but can also cost you the game. Is this enough to build a team on? He is a good piece, but he’s not enough in my mind to be the cornerstone of the team. And his recent whine about needing to feel important tells me he is not about the team, he is selfish and will never be a leader.

I love Vish, but I like souray more and think that grebs is a poor man’s vish. if there wasn’t talk of the cap going down i’d say keep both…not sure if my new lines save us any money though…

57. Chris says:

Hemsky is a cancer? I don’t think we’ve got indication of that. I do think we can safely say that Hemsky is frustrated though.

58. Dennis says:

You know, just to get back to Roli for a second, I’ve got to give the Oil a tonne of credit for manipulating the fans and media when it comes to our lone netminder.

I never liked the way Garon left or how little depth it left us with but off a sudden we turn Roli into Cal Ripken Jr and now that’s a big story and we can’t disparage him because the old guy’s really trying!

59. hunter1909 says:

Hemsky is a cancer the same way Thomas Jefferson was a cancer in the court of King George III.

60. Temujin says:

You poor bastards are sounding more and more like doomngloom, band-wagon Canuck fans every damned day. Talking about what the lines will look like next season while there is still some shit left to finish this season. W.T.F. Seriously.

I think Edmonton’s going to win tonight. The Canucks are going to beat Minnesota and crush their playoff hopes. And there is no way Columbus gives any points to Nashville, imo.

In the immortal words of some guy around here: “Book It”. I don’t even like your damned team but I think I’m the only one around here who has any sort of optimism. You’re three points out of 7th place with 7 games remaining. It can still happen, folks.

61. Bruce says:

Dennis: The goalie situation has been atrociously mismanaged this entire season, starting with that one-way contract for JDD when we already had two proven goalies. That forced a three-goalie system from the get-go, which quantum-shifted to a one-goalie system with the Garon trade without ever becoming a “normal” Two-goalie system at any point. Right up ’til the Garon trade, it fucked up our roster flexibility (not to mention Garon himself), and it has fucked up our game-day flexibility since. And we know precisely fuck all more about JDD now than we did in September. Other than management likes him more than the coach, in fact this might be the best evidence of a disconnect between the two.

As for Roli, his effort is phenomenal especially for a septuagenarian so it’s tough to heap abuse on him personally, but what Roli giveth (@ANA) Roli taketh away (v.MIN).

62. Lord Bob says:

No backchecking without representation!

63. hunter1909 says:

I picked this team to finish 8th.

They’re still able to potentially, so fuck it – I’ll go out on a limb just because I love the way “the captain” reminds me so much of Mark Messier.

64. Dennis says:

Bruce: I think Roli and 71 have been co-MVP’s but Roli stunk out the joint on Sunday and he’s been giving up soft goals over stretches of the season.

We might be getting more out of his SV PCT wise if we gave him a scattered night off but that’s never even been considered.

But, yes, it has been mismanaged but it’s another thing you’ll never see in print.

65. pboy says:

No backchecking without representation!

this made me giggle

66. Bank Shot says:

Oilers are done like dinner and alot of us saw it coming awhile ago. The Oilers were lucky to be where they were in the playoff race all season, and have come back down to earth a few games short of fluking out a playoff spot.

I look forward to seeing some meaningful change this offseason starting with the bench, and hopefully overspilling into management as well.

Maybe next season we’ll see young players making actual progress in a new culture with a new message.

67. Schitzo says:

And there is no way Columbus gives any points to Nashville, imo.

Before the weekend, I figured you could say the same thing about Columbus and St. Louis, yet here we are.

Fucking Bluejackets.

68. Coach pb9617 says:

No backchecking without representation!

Man I love this blog.

69. Black Dog says:

Maybe Comrie was right?

Damn Reds!

They’ve shat the bed and now they’re going to lay in it.

And Lowe will sacrifice MacT (more likley he will fall on his sword – contend for the division title indeed!).

I’m wondering where all of thsoe folks who used to talk about Lowe the genius after they traded Smyth are now. Some genius.

70. LittleFury says:

Honestly, I’d be less surprised to find myself shitting gold doubloons tomorrow than I would by any actual changes being made this (soon to arrive) offseason.

71. bookie says:

Yes, and many of these guys have done so in the past. The suggestion is not that MacT is failing to motivate, its that he hs somehow managed to kill the motivation. Its either that or else the mix of players somehow killed the spirit.

72. bookie says:

Yes, cause all would be perfect if Smyth was here, just like it is in Colorado…

Smitty was not worth the money and the risk… thats still true.

73. Thrillho says:

Agreed…it gets depressing around here some days. Reminds me of that Simpsons episode where Moe steals the ‘Flaming Homer’. Homer obesses about revenge and walks around saying “Moe.Moe.Moe”. It’s all he hears and thinks about. Substitute either Moreau or MacT for Moe and there you go!

Anything can happen in the next two weeks. Me, I prefer to enjoy the highs and lows over obsessing about things that I have no input on.

Until they’re officially out I’m still on board in spite of shortcomings; perceived or otherwise.

There must be some positive vibes left?!?!

74. HBomb says:

Hemsky is a cancer?

That’s a dumb statement even by internet standards.

75. Mr DeBakey says:

Yes, cause all would be perfect if Smyth was here, just like it is in Colorado…

I don’t think that was his point.

Nevertheless,
    it wouldn’t be perfect,
    but better

Hemsky is a cancer?

If Hemsky loses the puck at the blueline
    tumour times,
    I think I’ll kill myself.

76. relic says:

So since Hemsky coughing up pucks is all of the sudden grounds to cut ties or induce vomiting should we assume the same applies to 89? Hell let’s keep track tonight, anyone who gives the puck away at the blue becomes trade bait. We’ll end up with a Mact team in no time.

77. hunter1909 says:

I’m really happy the management respects us fans, and our unanimously agreed fervent wish for no rebuild.

I can hardly wait to see the look on coach MacTavish’s face next year, when Shawn Horcoff schools that Colorado punk Tavares.

Like um, I’m going to be soo happy.

78. hunter1909 says:

“We’ll end up with a Mact team in no time”.

Do you mean, that after eight years it’s NOT a Mact team yet?

79. Black Dog says:

It was that all last year there were a whole bunch of folks who pointed out that everyone should just trust in Lowe, that after all he had won 6 Cups, that he absolutely knew 100% what he was doing.

And now all I hear is crickets from that quarter.

80. hunter1909 says:

I really am beginning to miss the good old days, when the Oilers were a shitty team because they couldn’t afford to keep their players.

Almost as much as when they all of a sudden became a shitty team, because all of their good players left right after that famed playoff run a few years ago.

Now all we have is a shitty team, that sadly, that now has to sacrifice Hemsky, all because he just had to go and blow off that big fat Sudeten mouth of his.

Thought for today: I wonder what kind of shitty team the Oilers will be next season? Or what kind of shitty team will the Oilers be the season after that?

81. Dennis says:

LF: there just seems to be something right about a guy with an Al Swearengen avatar talking about shitting gold doubloons.

82. CrazyCoach says:

Ooooh, look at me I’m so positive in cheering for my team, and I live in a jellybean house on Lollipop Lane.

heh heh, sorry couldn’t resist.

83. LexLut says:

Linus Omark with a SICK, SICK Shootout Goal Tonight ! (MUST SEE!)

Linus Omark show off his awesome skills in a friendly international
    icehockey game between Sweden and Switzerland tonight (March 31st)
    Omark's goal in the shootout was also the GWG.

Brilliant, brilliant goal. The puck didn't even hit the net nor the goalie.
    Check it out below.

84. Ribs says:

Goalie fall down the hole…

85. Phil says:

Apparently, Linus Omark is a cheeky bastard!

86. CrazyCoach says:

Wow, now that is a cheeky move by Omark. YOu have to have guts to pull that off.

87. CrazyCoach says:

Is it still too early to call Omark Captain Sweden?

88. quain says:

Does he have any tattoos? Have we seen him in a thong yet? Does he hate backchecking and grey haired coaches?!

89. CrazyCoach says:

I think some of you might enjoy this story about Leon Boyd, who recently went from pitching for the Netherlands in the WBC, to a minor league tryout with the Jays. Great story.

I know this is a hockey blog, but LT and many others enjoy baseball.

90. Quinn says:

Cherry would hate Omark for that move.

How soon can we sign him?

91. geowal says:

Can’t argue with you there, but realism tells me I might only have 6 games to do the former and ?? to do the latter.

If only Montreal wasn’t so shitty, I could try to get behind them when the time comes…

92. Master Lok says:

And I’m looking forward to seeing the bitter spew when MacT stays around for next season. Actually I’m not.

Wow bookie. Can we pray to the mighty MacT to also rain frogs from the skies? He isn’t Satan. Although apparently some of you think he is mighty powerful.

93. danny says:

If anyone gets a link to the game please paste it here! :)

94. Lord Bob says:

That shootout goal by Omark was something. Kisses the bottom of the crossbar: you could try that shot a hundred times and not place it any more accurately than Omark placed it.

That said, Sam Gagner and Rob Schremp remind us that one great move does not a great shootout specialist make. Still. Bring Omark over sooner rather than later.

95. geowal says:

If anyone gets a link to the game please paste it here! :)

I went to check out atdhe.net, but it keeps redirecting to AdultFriendFinder.com
    They’ll help you find “sexy swingers to hook up with”.
    So uh, I guess atdhe is out.

96. Bruce says:

//Remember, cheering for EDM to win the Cup is infinitely more enjoyable than cheering/praying etc that CAL doesn’t win it…//

?? = 4

97. Fake Craig McTavish says:

Black Dog said…
    “bookie – my point wasn’t that trading Smyth was wrong, although Lowe himself said it was the wrong choice just months after.

And now all I hear is crickets from that quarter.

Funny thing is he turned a team who came within a break from winning the Cup into a basket case that looks to be three years straight out of the playoffs and likely he will never pay the piper for that.”

The Peter Principle is rampant on Kingsway Avenue.

Too bad the wrong guy will hang.

98. Black Dog says:

with the atdhe deal it does work but for some reason that friend finder pops up a few times, happened to me last time and also at a buddy’s the other night

excellent service though, seriously check it out.

99. geowal says:

?? = 4

Go Columbus!
    There, I’m focusing on the positive, not the negative like I think was Thrillho’s point.

I think there’s a lot of folks around this blog who would like to see Howson’s crew go far.

100. raventalon40 says:

I just can’t believe he’s that brutally honest at this stage of the season.

It’s good, actually. This way MacT leaves everything transparent and at the end of the day with everyone shouting “FMNF” we realize that not all the problems were his fault. A lot of them were, but not all of them. He did do some good things in the past for this team as a coach. Good things – not great things.

101. mc79hockey says:

Pat –

I sent you an email you’ll want to see at what I believe to be your work email. Can you get that at night? Is there antoher email addy I should use?

102. bookie says:

uhm, are you saying the coach is not a powerful influence on the team? Maybe you are confused with curling?

Look I have defended MacT in the Past, but its simple math. EITHER the coach sucks or the team sucks or more accuratly the combination of the two suck together. Perhaps this team does not have the ability to any better with a different approach to coaching. If so, than MacT gets none of the blame. I beleive thought that this team has been miscoachd this year to such an extent that the players cannot find it within themselves to ‘die’ for the cause. My premise is based upon the fact that some really decent players are sucking something terrible this at this point of the year (including Hemsky). Even with injuries, etc, someone (Pisani?) should have found the next level of compeate.

When a whole team is failing to compeate, particularly when they are getting some pretty amazing support from a 39 year old goalie, then I believe that something has gone astry in the coaching relationship.

If not, its the players on the team.

103. Over and Out says:

Horc’s is the dumb kid in class who pulls in an A minus average because the teacher sees a bit of himself in him and pairs him with the smart kids to do the group assignments. The smart kids know it and it’s why they don’t respect the teacher…

You can interchange Horcoff with our worst captain since MacT or with steadily face down in his own crease, interfering with our goalie with the red light flashing, –6 Stevie Staios.
    And yes, it was a tough call but I do think that Buchberger is a better captain than Moreau and MacT (92-93 30pts –16, 93-94 26pts –20).

104. danny says:

the only way Edmonton loses 2 points to 7th place tonight, is if Nashville wins in OT.

If EDM win tonight (not likely), they gain minimum 1 point on 7th place, because Nashville leapfrogs Columbus.

Ideally NSH loses in regulation, should NSH win in OT, then it changes nothing because we’re screwed anyways.

105. quain says:

I feel enlightened, finally, every bias I ever held has come true: MacTavish lost the room because Shawn Horcoff isn’t a first line centre. Thank you Over and Out, for finally bringing the light to my eyes.

106. mc79hockey says:

Good for him.

107. mjsh says:

I find it hard to believe that this team will win tonight. I hope they do, but the way the season has gone, only if Rolly steals the points will they win. The time to turn the corner is long past for this group.
    Mac T says at the end of the year that he has had enough and resigns and I do not blame him. I would do the same if I saw no effort from my staff day and and day out.

108. Temujin says:

Well, it looks like the Nsh-Cbj game is going to OT, which pretty much mutes everything else I typed earlier.

Damnit.

109. Temujin says:

LOL and just when I type that…

//Raffi just scored from Peca. They’re calling him “Mr. Clutch” in Columbus. 4 GWG in his last 16.//

Michael Peca knows the magic words to whisper in Raffi’s ears. MacT doesn’t.

111. mc79hockey says:

I’ve got Gamecentre with the Preds and Wild games going. I think I might have a seizure.

112. mc79hockey says:

Jackets just killed a 5 v 3. Crowd going nuts. Must be nice.

113. Traktor says:

Preds will tie it and win in the game in the SO.

114. Black Gold says:

possible link
    We’ll see if they’re actually showing it when the puck drops.

Unfortunately I can’t watch it.
    Playoffs start tonight for me.
    Beer league needs me.

115. Over and Out says:

quain, I think he lost the room because he continuously forces it upon the team that Horc’s is the #1 centre, Moreau is the captain and that Staios is a reliable defenseman no matter what. At least that’s how he plays them night in and out regardless of their production. You got to admit that it hast to be frustrating for some of the skilled players on the team who are shifted up and down and in and out of the line-up ever night? If he sits Horcs in the press box for a game or two after going 2 goals in 20 games, MacT might earn a few consistency points with the rest of the team.

116. mc79hockey says:

24 seconds and we’re 1/3 of the way home tonight.

117. Dennis says:

Ty: I’m keeping an eye on the game from CBJ as well and the Jackets crew isn’t handling their possible playoff berth well.

The PBP guy has morphed into Bob Cole circa the Leaves ’99 playoff run.

As for Torres, I’ll stick with Gilbert Brule, thank you very much!

118. Fake Craig McTavish says:

mc79hockey said…
    Jackets just killed a 5 v 3. Crowd going nuts. Must be nice.

Ladies and gentlemen…your Edmonton Oilers!

119. oilerdago says:

//If he sits Horcs in the press box for a game or two after going 2 goals in 20 games, MacT might earn a few consistency points with the rest of the team.//

That’s ranks right there with some of the more stupid comments today.

Lay off Horcoff.

OOTSB – we get some help tonite. Nashville loses.

No go win a game Oilers.

120. mc79hockey says:

As for Torres, I’ll stick with Gilbert Brule, thank you very much!

Don’t forget that keeping Torres meant keeping Moreau was easier too.

121. mc79hockey says:

1-0 Nucks!

122. Black Dog says:

Good for Raffi.

123. Over and Out says:

For the record quain… I do hope Horcs puts up 5 tonight, makes me look stupid and you’re the recipient of the Safeway Score-and-Win million bucks.

124. mc79hockey says:

I’ll throw this out there: I expect good things tonight.

125. danny says:

Don’t forget that keeping Torres meant keeping Moreau was easier too.

lol… craftily win an argument from an obtuse angle… the mind of a lawyer ladies and gents ;)

126. Bruce says:

Oilers 0 Wild 3
    Oilers 2 Red Wings 3
    Oilers 2 Coyotes 3
    Oilers 5 Ducks 3
    Oilers 2 Wild 3

Game plan for tonight: score more than 3.

127. Black Dog says:

atdhe has a lot of games but not the Oil

128. danny says:

mc: how did you figure out the link that time it wasn’t listed on the atdhe site?

129. bookie says:

Yeah, I once remember when I worked at a warehouse of 300 guys and our bosses came in and told us that we were the worst warehouse in the chain (Basically superstore). Being a young undergrad studying statistics, I explained to him the likelihood of the 300 individuals at this warehouse being randomly less effective than those at the other warehouses in Canada. Give or take, we were the same bunch of losers. So, what much more powerful influence was in the room that was less randomly distributed….the boss.

That has nothing to do with this because teams are not like workers at a warehouse. But for any of you who have worked at western grocers….You know what I am talking about!

130. Black Dog says:

You’re killing me Ty.

131. Bruce says:

If we don’t see a 60-minute effort tonight, we’re not gonna see one.

132. Black Dog says:

Bookie, that’s awesome.

133. Icecastles says:

I’m hoping for blood tonight. Lots and lots of blood. Buckets of blood.

I don’t think I even care whose blood it is.

134. Bruce says:

“Thecaptainethanmoreau” — took Quinn 1:20

135. Bruce says:

ZOOORRRGGGG!!!!!!

136. oilerdago says:

Zorg! That one’s going to leave a mark.

137. Icecastles says:

Zorg is the new Essa Tikannen.

138. Black Gold says:

new link

password: thedishtown

139. Bruce says:

Do 22 and 46 both get credited with a Hit on that second one? Wow.

Bext thing you know 34 and 13 are both throwing the body a second apart, and the team is In the game.

140. danny says:

your links arent clickable?

141. Bruce says:

That should be an extra 2 on ANA

142. Dennis says:

43 a lefty shooter playing right D and it’s showed up three times already with him pinching and only being able to muster weak backhands back into the O zone.

143. danny says:

Black Gold, I think youre html linking incorrectly because it isnt clickable, can you post the actual link?

144. Bruce says:

I liked how JFJ creamed Brookbank on the way over the blueline there. Too bad he put himself offside in the process.

145. Bruce says:

4v4 — annother special team that needs work.

146. Black Dog says:

thanks b.g.

147. Black Gold says:

i was forgetting the = after the href part..
    I’ll do better next time. :)

148. Icecastles says:

What the hell are they doing on this PP? They’re moving all over the place! They even closed in on the net once! A powerplay will never succeed unless everyone stands still (the further from the crease the beter) and selects one point guy to pass it to for one-timers.

149. oilerdago says:

Cogs!!!

150. Icecastles says:

Fuck yeah Cogs!! Guess I was wrong about how the powerplay should work. ;)

151. Bruce says:

Horcoff whiffs a perfect feed from Souray, then gets good wood a second chance and misses the net with the backhand. It’s almost like his depth perception has deserted him rather than his hands. His timing is way off.

152. danny says:

Ok now phase II:

get outshot 22-4 over the next half period

153. Black Dog says:

Beauty passes – was that Gilbert with the headman?

And Staios takes exception to Ryan’s comment that Lowe doesn’t know squat about talent.

154. Bruce says:

COGS!!!

Pronger not looking too good there. Good thing we got rid of him. Eh, Dennis?

155. Dennis says:

Just how Much of an overpay will the Oil offer 21 this summer?

Parros didn’t seem pleased that 24 tussled with the Ducks prodigy so I”ll guess the rough stuff is far from over.

The Oilers are weapons grade ugly at four-on-four.

I could hear Bruce’s teeth grinding all the way down here during the last such occasion.

156. oilerdago says:

Danny, you’re probably right – but you’re early – that’s for the 2nd period.

157. danny says:

gaborik scores for Minny, 1-1

158. Icecastles says:

Blood! Blood! Kill him! I want to see him bleed! Ah, oh well. I’ll give that fight to Staios.

Wow. Earlier today I decided I just don’t care about this season anymore and that I’m not going to watch it. Now I’m standing in front of the tv jumping and shouting. I guess that’s what makes us real fans – we never say die, no matter how bleak the picture. We can hate the decisions and the performance and sometimes everything about the team, but somehow we love the team no matter what.

And I wouldn’t want it any other way.

Now rip off his fucking moustache, Zorg!

159. geowal says:

Oh baby.
    That was reminiscent of old kid line…with Kotalik subsituted.

160. Black Dog says:

Ah Bruce, I’m with you. I love 46.

161. Bruce says:

Selanne is flying.

162. Bruce says:

How is Marchant on Hemsky not interference?

163. Icecastles says:

Selanne is flying.

Selanne: less flying more frying.

164. Bruce says:

BDHS: To know him is to love him. And you can love this while you’re at it: two more years at $700 K cap hit.

165. oilerdago says:

Bad goal. Defense just allowed them to walk right in. What happened to standing somebody up at the blueline?

166. geowal says:

It’s amazing how quickly the bleak pre-game mood fades once the game starts.

Especially if we’re up a goal.

167. Bruce says:

Hemsky has to make the short-side pass to Penner there instead of the old predictable circle behind the net. The scoring chance was early and Ales prefers to make the late play. A serious weakness in my view.

And look at that. Sheldon Fucking Brookbank?

168. Black Gold says:

Sheldon is no Wade.

169. geowal says:

Geez I barely got a chance to hit publish before that got jinxed.

170. Icecastles says:

It’s amazing how quickly the bleak pre-game mood fades once the game starts.
    Especially if we’re up a goal.

And how quickly it gets shaken.

If I become any more mercurial about this team, I’ll sound like a Canucks fan.

171. Bruce says:

Trouble on the tying goal was 4 forwards caught out at the end of the powerplay. 2-on-2 and Kotalik did not bad actually forcing Getzlaf wide but Gilbert toally lost Brookbank. Meanwhile Hemsky coasted back to the bench preventing Pisani jumping into the play in time to do any good.

172. Bruce says:

“We thought that might happen, that Horcoff might wind up in a defensive role against the top line of the Ducks.”

I nominate the Sportsnet crew for the Mensa award.

173. Unleaded says:

Okay Guys,

I’ve been doing everything I can not to taint this board with Canuck-style badnwagonism since I got out here on the west coast a couple of weeks ago. However, considering it has happened anyways, I wanted to appologise. My presence here has obviously created some kind of tunnel through space-time allowing the bandwagonism to reach you all anyways.

I strongly recommend you all have a beer or two, as this seems to mitigate the effects of the anomaly. Once again, I’m really sorry for the inconvenience.

174. Icecastles says:

Ah, oyu just made me laugh Kraft Dinner onto my laptop, Unleaded. :) that was excellent.

175. Bruce says:

Gilbert and Grebs play rugby … 16 lateral passes in a row. Then a too-many-men penalty. So much for Mo.

176. geowal says:

Beer does help. Quite a bit.

177. Garth says:

Ahaha! Brendan Mikkelson lived on my street growing up. I could watch these repalys of him getting run over all day.

178. Bruce says:

First period faceoffs:

Brodziak 2-0, 100%
    Penner 1-0, 100%
    Horcoff, 7-4, 64%
    O’Sullivan 1-1, 50%
    Cogliano 0-4, 0%
    Gagner 0-5, 0%

Oilers 11-14, 44%

179. Alice says:

That’d be coach’s Nephew
    Also, bandwagonism – that makes me laugh just typing it. Beauty.

180. Icecastles says:

Geowal said: Saw a shot of Deslaurier a moment ago. At this point he looks like the coach’s son who’s allowed to hang out with Dad as long as he sits still at the end of the bench and keeps quiet.

I’m waiting for a shot of him on the bench drinking a beer and reading the Hockey News.

181. Fake Craig McTavish says:

Bruce said…

I nominate the Sportsnet crew for the Mensa award.

Perhaps they’re smarter than the average bear Boo Boo.

182. Alice says:

You know what goes real bad with beer? Jelly beans.

I’ve got to lay off the jelly beans.

//Hemsky has to make the short-side pass to Penner.//

Hemsky never passes to Penner. Moreau never passes to Penner.

184. Bruce says:

Zack Stortini: #18 in ice time (1:49), #1 in hits (2, tied with Peckham)

185. gary b says:

way to not get a shot since the 2nd period, Vancouver.

186. Bruce says:

Zorg interviews like he watched Bull Durham about 3000 times.

187. Icecastles says:

Alice, that’s disgusting. Although, last night I learned that beer is also bad with Frosted Flakes. That was a bad idea.

188. Dennis says:

I had the chances at 4-9 with the Oilers posting a whopping One Fucking Chance at EV.

So, you know, it was a pretty good period by the Oil.

77 nearly backed into the stands on the Ana goal but he’s been making a lot of gaffes for awhile now and the Oilers D backing in seems to be as much of a staple as the old windshield washer play; the one where the D would fall down and sweep his stick on the way.

Gaborik scores for the Wild to tie it and as much as we miss 71, the Wild would be in the playoffs for sure if they had Marion around for the majority of the season. That club’s getting ripped off when you look at their GD and then their place in the conference.

One of the Obscene Twins score in OT.

189. oilerdago says:

OOTSB – Van wins in OT. Still comes to the fact that we need to show up for the next 2 periods.

190. Icecastles says:

Oilerdago: It’s too late in the season to start changing strategy. They just need to trust in Roli and show up for the last five minutes.

191. Quinn says:

Brilliant PK

192. Icecastles says:

they made it 33 seconds. Sigh. Beer me.

193. PunjabiOil says:

When was the last time the Oilers scored a goal like that on the powerplay?

194. digger says:

Ducks 2 Oilers 1

Rexall = Tomb

What a useless play by Moreau there on the powerplay!

196. oilerdago says:

//When was the last time the Oilers scored a goal like that on the powerplay?//

As Icecastles said, that would require a change in strategy and it’s too late in the season.

Newer Comments »