Ducks at Oilers G77/08-09

There is no photo available to describe tonight’s game. A win is the only option, and even then the Oilers may need some help in the next week.

All is not lost. Should the Oilers win tonight and play a consistent game during this homestand the odds favor them grabbing a piece of the second season.

I know where my money is.

533 Responses to "Ducks at Oilers G77/08-09"

« Older CommentsNewer Comments »
  1. PunjabiOil says:

This could be our season!

2. Bruce says:

Gilbert should have got 5 and a game for that. Ugly stuff there.

3. Icecastles says:

The ultimate storybook ending for this season:

It stays tight until game 82. Edmonton is up 2-1 against Calgary, Moreau takes a High sticking penalty with 1:30 left in the game. Next 60 seconds result in pure unbroken pressure around the Oilers net. Strudwick panicks and dumps the puck over the glass, resulting in 5 on 3 for the remaining 30 seconds. Kippersoff is on the bench, so it’s 6 on 3.

7 seconds left in the game, Roli gets the chance and does his trademark bat-the-puck move … all the way into the empty net. A goal by Roli puts them in the playoffs. THAT would be the ultimate storybook ending.

4. PunjabiOil says:

Good Night. Chris Pronger ends our season.

5. Quinn says:

did they make it 30 seconds this time?

6. digger says:

lulz.

Why look…another grey hair on MacT’s head.

7. oilerdago says:

Does it get any worse than that?

8. Black Dog says:

It may.

9. Icecastles says:

One Duck gets his first NHL goal, Pronger gets his first in fifteen games.

They need a sign in the visitors dressing room:
    “Edmonton Oilers: Good for what ails you.”

On a loosing streak? Play in Rexall Place!
    Bottom team in the league? Play in Rexall Place!
    Haven’t scored in 15 (or with one dude earlier this season, 120) games? Play in Rexall Place!
    Garunteed to restore confidence!*

*Offer void if player is an Oiler.

10. Smarmy Boss says:

You know what is good with beer? Skittles.

Only 70 mins until I can switch over to Big Love followed by Oz.

11. oilerdago says:

So after we lose this one, if we start playing JDD, perhaps not only Min will pass, but so to Ott and Dal and we get can get better draft position.

12. Bruce says:

I’m sour on Gilbert tonight. Backs in on the goalie for the first goal, slashes Ryan in the face to enable the third goal, and now there’s a guy digging away at our goalkeeper and Tom comes in as far away from the guy as he can possibly get and reaches in and gives him the puniest shove imaginable. None of which is getting the job done.

13. Smarmy Boss says:

Yes a higher draft pick in which we can take a big project defensemen or a smallish skilled forward.

14. Icecastles says:

No way, dago. That would mean there is an upside to the end of this season. That’s too much to hope for.

I’m pretty sure the only reason one of the Oilers hasn’t come over and punched my cat is that I live in Winnipeg.

And I’m pretty sure I saw them yelling at my mother.

15. danny says:

shots on goal 21-9

scoring chances just as bad

special teams = -3

—————————

another abortion of a must-win game

16. Bruce says:

Whiffsky

17. Quinn says:

We can punch cats now? Well, well, well …

18. danny says:

MacTavish will concede that his system isnt working, and implement a forecheck and activate his defensemen with about 4 minutes left, and Ethan Moreau will get all the credit for the late surge.

Its getting so very old.

19. Bruce says:

special teams = -3

Yeah, the first one was technically at EV, but it was like a shortie in that it was scored against the end of the powerplay.

20. digger says:

You know, it’s surprisingly easy to generate a searing level of hate for the 2008/2009 iteration of the Edmonton Oilers.

I mean, where to even begin?

21. Quinn says:

Digger,

I believe you start at the top and work your way down from there.

22. Bruce says:

Finally, some action in their end. No actual shots, but some decent cycling and banging. JFJ looking good.

23. oilerdago says:

Danny is about right – after we took a 1-0 lead we’ve been outshot 14-3.

That’s my first thing to hate about this team.

24. PunjabiOil says:

I’d be fine with moving Gilbert if we can get Jay Bouweemeester. Then, after 2009-2010, Souray’s NTC will expire and he could be moved if neccessary for cap reasons.

Missing the playoffs 5 time in 7 years. In which other city would such a coach/GM have this much job security?

Where coaches get fired for not advancing past the 2nd round (see Dallas, Colorado), in Edmonton Kevin Lowe tells Oiler fans on the team’s website that “He’s a great coach. You should watch him in practice” [Source: Oilers Live last season]

Of course I have no sympathy for Kevin Lowe either. His move to trade Smyth over $100,000 has likely cost us at least one playoff birth, possibly two. Maybe more to come.

The said thing is, it could be 6 missed playoffs in 8 years, if things don’t change this off-season.

25. digger says:

Danny is about right – after we took a 1-0 lead we’ve been outshot 14-3.

That’s my first thing to hate about this team.

Further proof that self-satisfaction is never too far away when you wear the Oil drop.

26. Dennis says:

Roli’s breaking down as well.

He was backed far into the goal on the first marker and he had lots of room left short-side.

And he didn’t get across all that quick on the 3rd goal.

They should have rested him to at least given him a fighting chance.

27. Quinn says:

Ow

28. Bank Shot says:

At least they can score on a 4 on 2….

Oh wait, they can’t.

29. Alice says:

Tale of the tape:

SOG
    Gilbert 4
    Sully 2
    Rest 0 or 1

30. Icecastles says:

“He’s a great coach. You should watch him in practice”

I have a great car – you should see how easy it is to tow.

31. Asiaoil says:

Digger the solution is actually quite simple – MacT doesn’t give a damn about this season so I quit caring as well. Like how many faceoffs do you need to give Cogliano before it’s obvious the coach just doesn’t give a rat’s ass about winning. Many other examples of how little this entire mgmt team actually cares about the fans or winning – but once you accept the fact that we are deep into Wirtz-era Blackhawks territory it doesn’t hurt so much.

32. oilerdago says:

//Roli’s breaking down as well.

And he didn’t get across all that quick on the 3rd goal.

They should have rested him to at least given him a fighting chance.//

That’s the 2nd thing I hate – piss poor goalie management by the Coach. He’s such a great coach he’s panicking in Jan/Feb and has to run Roli into the ground.

33. Quinn says:

You say that Asia, but I know a little part of you is dying inside. C’mon now, you are among people who will not laugh too hard if you start crying.

34. Icecastles says:

That’s not a penalty!?!?!?!

35. oilerdago says:

Hey Coach, bench Penner because he’s trying to score on the fly instead of stand in front of the net.

Reason #3.

36. Bruce says:

Great rush and pass by Cogs there.

What a cheap shot by that peckerhead Perry on Pisani.

CFP II

37. Quinn says:

Weeeaaaaakkkkk

Let’s see how badly jr plays.

38. digger says:

We fucking ROCK.

39. Dennis says:

I’m not letting Roli off with tonight’s performance.

Garbage.

40. danny says:

Well lets hope Roloson catches mono from Pouliot somehow tonight and we lose the rest of the way out.

the 6th or 7th pick would be nice.

Keep Souray healthy long enough to launch pucks at Regehr. hope for dismemberment.

41. Quinn says:

On the positive side, the few seconds that JFJ has been allowed out, he has looked like the real deal.

What kind of odds do we lay that Roli still stands in the goal for period three and JDD sits? 100-1?

42. Bank Shot says:

I’m not letting Roli off with tonight’s performance.

Meh. He was bound to have a bad game or two sooner or later.

Tough luck that the Oilers need Hasek level goaltending every night in order to have a chance at winning.

43. Icecastles says:

I have been trying to figure out what the turning point was this season. it occurs to me that there wasn’t one, because we were never really contenders this year since about… game four.

There were plenty of wins and bright spots, and thanks to the overwhelmingly bad years posted by several other teams (and Detroit and San Jose steamrolling everyone and keeping the point totals low) it gave us a false sense that we could actually compete.

But when push came to shove in the stretch, we get to see what the team is really made of. It just took longer than it should have to realize that there is no compete here. Could have been. Should have been. Wasn’t.

44. mc79hockey says:

I’ll say it: this is a better team than last year that looks increasingly like it will finish with fewer points.

45. digger says:

Game 4?

46. Coach pb9617 says:

I’ll throw this out there: I expect good things tonight.

For the life of me, I can’t figure out what that was based on.

Cogliano 0-4, 0%

That period pretty much locks him into the worst faceoff man of the decade. Nice work Craig – way to bring that home for him!

1W 3L that second period. I think the Oilers should have a ceremony for he and MacTavish.

47. Alice says:

Plenty?

Maybe not plenty. It never felt like it ever got off the ground, the wins seemed a bit fluke-like all year. Scraped one out here, scraped one out there. For 5 months.

48. mc79hockey says:

For the life of me, I can’t figure out what that was based on.

I figured they’d be out of it long before now. Everything was gravy as far as I’m concerned.

Go Jackets.

49. mc79hockey says:

Honestly, do any of you people even remember last year?

50. Lucinius says:

Heh; I see things have gotten even worse since I left the game (my friends and I bailed on the game after the 3rd goal by Anaheim, in spite of the great seats we had).

Just.. meh. Between the Oilers and the.. moron I was sitting beside it just wasn’t worth it. Oh well, I think I’ll go to bed early tonight and make the night not a complete waste of time.

51. Dennis says:

Oilers have been outchanced 3-14 at EV.

On home ice.

Not against the ’77 Canadians.

52. Over and Out says:

I blame the seventh man. Them lazy fans. They should be hanging off the glass with popcorn buckets as headgear. Then we’d be winning for sure.

53. Chris says:

You should have gone with a picture of the Hindenberg LT.

54. oilerdago says:

//IMO this team’s not looked on the same page since they set foot in training camp. I don’t know specifically what went south, but they’ve been swimming upstream since minute 1.//

Bang on Digger. While this team has won more in regulation than it did last season, it’s actually looked worse doing so. They are not on the same page and I just get the sense that more than anything, many of the players are ready for this season to be over.

Time to back up the truck and re-build.

55. Alice says:

It’s the licorice ones are the problem, btw. Just have to be careful.

56. Bank Shot says:

This team was unadulterated garbage for 60 games to start the year and then got hot. This team is a lot better.

This team has also had less injuries and better goaltending.

Their 5 on 5 is better this year, but their special teams are much worse.

This team is about the same as last year.

57. Fake Craig McTavish says:

mc79hockey said…

My God Tyler.

The team is still unadulterated garbage.

58. bookie says:

The ultimate storybook ending for this season:

It stays tight until game 82.

Looking unlikely!

59. Icecastles says:

Okay, I was trying to give them the benefit of the doubt saying ‘game 4′ – I don’t really beleive it either. They rally weren’t inspiring confidence from training camp, it’s true.

But I stand by there being plenty of bright spots: Roli’s goaltending, Hemsky’s string of elite-level games when he came back from the concussion, the cool pregame video with the dynasty-era players… okay that’s about all I’ve got. But there were at lest three games this year where they were dominant. Okay, two for sure.

Oh, and Zorg usually made me smile. He had a great year. Too bad he spent so much of it in the PB watching Liam Reddox on the top line.

60. mc79hockey says:

My God Tyler.

The team is still unadulterated garbage.

They’re a hell of a lot closer to a legit 88 point team this year than they were last year.

61. Bruce says:

Hemsky through 40 minutes: 0 shots, 2 shot attempts blocked, 2 missed shots, 1 giveaway, 0 anything else. Spared a -1 cuz his slackass line change was just fast enough to get his ass off the ice before the puck went in.

If he’s not playing to get his coach fired he might as well be.

62. Dennis says:

Patrick O’Sullivan’s been pretty much a colossal bust.

He’s a good bet to outperform his contract for the next two years but he’s sucked dog dicks for his first ~14 games for the Oilers.

I gave up on the season after Sunday night – though it is funny to see the look of shock on Principe’s face as he speaks to S. Neidermayer – but it’s still kinda hard to see them doing down without one fucking whimper.

I am looking forward to tonight’s MacT presser, though, and when Vish Throttler comes out of his bunker on say Wed, April 15th, we’re all gonna have a good laugh.

63. Coach pb9617 says:

Penner’s benching and subsequent demotion and public flogging during the Chicago blowout game.

Horpensky was united for the first time against…at Columbus I believe. They were a game under .500 at the time. For the next 10 games, Hemsky went absolutely nuts, Penner had 5 goals, Horcoff had a ton of assists. The Oilers went 6-4 in ten games with six road games. They were actually starting to click as a team.

Then Chicago came to Rexall, blew the doors off of the Oilers, MacTavish blamed Penner publicly, demoted him and Horpensky was never a regular line again for the rest of the season.

64. bookie says:

Oilers = Meh

65. Bank Shot says:

Based on what?

66. mc79hockey says:

Based on what?

I’ll do a post at some point.

67. PunjabiOil says:

Has Katz ever been spotted since his failed attempts to lure away Marian Hossa and his gym buddy, Georges Laraque in the summer?

Has he provided any indication that he’s not also a card carrying member of the Old Boys network?

Worse is my Habs and Canucks buddies are rubbing salt on the wounds. The Habs fan keeps tellling me Hemsky isn’t elite. The Vancouver buddy is having a conversation with me on msn. He’s an excerpt:

Believe in blue says:
    golf course open there yet?
    PunjabiOil says:
    nope, next?
    Believe in blue says:
    shit
    Believe in blue says:
    well doesnt matter
    Believe in blue says:
    all players leave as soon as they can

The sad part? He’s right.

68. rickibear says:

I mean, where to even begin?

What do you keep?

69. mc79hockey says:

If ever I thought there was gonna be a Budd Dwyer moment, tonight’s it. His last presser sounded like he was reciting a suicide note.

I too am looking forward to Vish Throttler coming out of the bunker. That Hitler video could have been a lot better.

70. Bruce says:

Tyler: trying to convince us that the Oilers are a legitimate anything (good) during a game like this is like going over Niagara Falls the hard way — against the current.

71. bookie says:

You could be right about that, but I dont think it was the specific ‘event’ that did it, I just think this added to the ‘poison’ in the room. MacT may be a fine coach, but he has contributed to the problems of this group, this year. I cannot remember a team 3 points out that has played this poorly ever.

Every Oiler power play isn’t because Hemsky sits on the half-wall and does f$#@ all, leaving it 4 on 4.

On the 4 on 3′s, he plays below the goal line, again taking himself out of the play.

The power play would be better with Gagner running it.

73. Bank Shot says:

I’ll do a post at some point.

Ok. Because from what I can decipher from this season they just traded one problem (5 on 5) for another (PK).

74. Bruce says:

Louie: “It was a better period for Edmonton”

Say what?

75. Coach pb9617 says:

Last year’s team lost 340 mangames. This year’s version is in the 225-ish range. And at least LT could blame last year on the kids getting at-bats. Last year’s team had excuses.

This year’s team just sucks scrotal skin.

He’ll be better under Fitzgerald or Dineen. It’s okay.

76. digger says:

And the Edmonton Oilers’ recreation of the Bataan Death March begins, otherwise known as this 3rd period.

77. bookie says:

The PK does not take exceptional talent, just some solid coaching of average players. That is why you dont see PKers getting big $$. No excuse for this team to be below 20th in PK.

78. Quinn says:

I am with Tyler. Not about the ‘team’ but in the individual performers, out-performing the overall team.

JFJ, for example. Zorg, Brodziak has impressed at points and I remain a total fan of Penner.

79. Chris says:

No wonder Temujin thinks we’re starting to sound like Canucks fans, this team is starting to achieve that classic Vancouver Canuck level of listlessness and underachievement. We might as well just hire Marc Crawford.

80. PunjabiOil says:

I’m not letting Roli off with tonight’s performance.

Garbage

Certainly a poor performance, but he’s not why the team is losing. Coming out this flat in a must-win game, outshot 21-9 at one point tells you all you need to know about the 2008-2009 Edmonton Oilers.

Playing 5 games in 8 nights doesn’t help either.

Of course this could have all been avoided had that cunt, MacT handled Garon better.

81. Bruce says:

Thaw was a POS dive … worked though

82. Bank Shot says:

Neither does 5 on 5. Look at what Sutter did in 05-06 with guys like Amonte and Simon getting lots of ice.

83. Icecastles says:

Last year’s team lost 340 mangames. This year’s version is in the 225-ish rang

this team doesn’t even play a man game. :)

I have figured out the real poison on the team: it’s Roloson. It’s thanks to that selfish asshole that for all the shit that was this year, we’re still not a lottery team.

84. Chris says:

We might as well give JDD some games, what’s the worst that could happen we could wind up down three goals in a must win game?

85. Bruce says:

Must soon be Kotalik Time.

86. Icecastles says:

Bruce – I’ve had the link prewritten since halfway through the second. I can feel it coming.

87. oilerdago says:

Chris, we should give JDD some playing time, but tonite is not it. To pull Roli at this point would notbe fair unless the Schmucks score a couple more.

But they need to get him in and give him a chance to play. Anyone who is stupid enough to say the season is not over is not paying attention to what’ happening on the ice.

88. Alice says:

How is it with last change, Hemsky can be on for 17 minutes and have 0 shots on goal? If he ain’t the ace, who’s the ace??

89. Icecastles says:

Alice: The Ace doesn’t play for us. :(

90. Dennis says:

I would say we’re a 83 trade request away from completing the sewer cycle that began the day we dealt Pronger for magic beans.

91. Bruce says:

Yeah, Hemsky! A shot!!

92. Bank Shot says:

I’d like to see Taylor Chorney get some games in over Strudwick, and they might as well call up Schremp, and give him 5 mins PP time a night to try to pump his value.

Play the 4th line 15 minutes a night. They’re watchable. Might as well get some entertainment value out of the last five games.

93. Lord Bob says:

Fuck Sheldon Brookbank with a baseball bat wrapped in barbed wire.

94. Chris says:

Roloson just looked tired after the last game, I think they just need to give the man some rest. He’s 39 years old for Christsakes. That’s not exactly the age to begin an iron man attempt. Plus the team isn’t exactly playing their asses off so we might as well see what the kid goalie can do since he’s there.

95. Chris says:

Yea, I too wait for Kotalik’s patented “meaningless goal”. His GF/Garbage Time 60 must be off the charts.

96. Over and Out says:

At least the possibility of watching Calgary knock us out of the playoffs has diminished. The Oil will be well out of contention by then. God damn it.

97. Alice says:

Careful: if Brookbank scores again we’ll be sending him an offer sheet.

Then he’ll come to understand the term ‘scoring drought’

98. Icecastles says:

might as well see what the kid goalie can do since he’s there.

Totally. It’s time to accept that the season is lost and at least get some development time out of it.

After all, how else can we explain Cogliano still taking faceoffs?

99. knighttown says:

I’ll do a post at some point.

You’re the math master so I don’t doubt you can pull it off but it don’t look like it from here:

1) Far healthier than any season in recent history.

2) Weakest Western Conference in a decade

3) Shockingly bad shooting and scoring chance +/- lately.

4) Near league worst PP and PK.

They may be lower event but they’re still really bad.

100. Icecastles says:

Chris: Don’t you just hate it when guys score late in the game and give us a chance? He obviously hasn’t learned to surrender properly yet. Must think he’s on last year’s Oilers. Time to join the team and check that clutch performance at the door!

I wish there was more of it throughout the game, but I will never begrudge an Oiler from scoring a goal. There are precious few enough of them as it is.

101. Bruce says:

Alice: Don’t forget that 7:26 of those 17 minutes were on the powerplay. The PP did indeed click for The goal, but it was the second unit.

102. Coach pb9617 says:

Not to beat a dead horse, but any other team with an immovable object [Pronger can't move him at all] in front of the net on the power play would actually utilize him.

After all, how else can we explain Cogliano still taking faceoffs?

If he catches a hot streak he might be able to be the second worst faceoff man of the decade.

103. Alice says:

Thanks Bruce, that makes me feel better!

104. Icecastles says:

that’s now the third time tonight I have laughed food onto my laptop.

105. Bruce says:

Hemsky whiffs another, then shakes his hand on the bench. Wasn’t it his right wrist last year too? I wonder if it’s chronic. For sure he has sucked balls in this game and it’s far from the first one in February and March. (Or October for that matter.)

106. bookie says:

The season should end just on style points tonight, but that’s why they play the game.

107. Chris says:

I think my thoughts on this game are sort of a slogan for the season “I should have watched NCIS”. Although feel free to insert whatever competing programming catches your fancy.

108. bookie says:

I believe it was your favourite player Bruce…

109. Bruce says:

Celebrity UFC

110. doritogrande says:

Do we start an Oilogosphere playoff pool now?

I call Philly.

111. Chris says:

I’m not going to say any player shouldn’t score a goal Icecastles. I supose I’m more of a mind that it would be nice if they scored a few more in say the first or second period as opposed to in the dying minutes of the third. I’d prefer some goals that built some momentum for the team as opposed to simply making the score more flattering when its essentially over.

112. PunjabiOil says:

It’s too bad we didn’t get Hiller. We were apparently in the running.

Now there’s a new guy the Oilers are after. Gustefon or something – apparently a goalie putting up numbers in Europe.

Signing JDD for two years looks dumb now though. A wasted one way contract as he’s not good enough to be even a backup at the NHL level. Jacques will get paid one way next year, which hurts Brule’s chances.

This was a terrible year for Horcoff too, offensively speaking. If he doesn’t pull up his numbers next year, that’s going to look like a terrible contract, and this is coming from a fan who loved that signing. Where’s the 2007/2008 Horcoff? The Horcoff we’re seeing is the 2003-2004 version, who is getting paid 5 times the amount.

A terrible season. Hard to believe the cup run was 3 years ago, and we’ve missed the playoffs in each of the following years.

113. doritogrande says:

Who the fuck does Grebeshkov think he is?

Oh wait, then he scores. That was a fucked up series of events.

114. Icecastles says:

Fuck it, I don’t care who scored!

115. Bruce says:

Quinn: “They cut the lead in half”

How does cutting a 3-goal lead into a 2-goal lead do that exactly?

116. Quinn says:

Whoa, for a second there I thought I posted something that Bruce was angry with.

Crap broadcaster taking my good name.

117. doritogrande says:

How does cutting a 3-goal lead into a 2-goal lead do that exactly?

You have to use imaginary numbers. Eleventy-six, two-teen. I’ts pretty hard math for…FUCK A GOAL FROM ZORG!

118. bookie says:

This is getting stupid. Right, this is F-ing stupid.

119. Icecastles says:

I know, Chris, I figured that’s what you meant. But I think he tries the whole game and

FUCK YES! YES YES YES!!

FUCKING ZORG IS THE NEW GRETZKYMESSIERHEMSKYPRONGERFUHRMOOGKURRI!!!!!!

120. Coach pb9617 says:

Storts goal.

Please send Cogs out for the faceoff. Please.

121. Bruce says:

Give MacT the Jack Adams award right now.

122. digger says:

Good for Grebs, he’s been one of the highlights for me this Oilers season.

What kind of will they offer him, I wonder?

123. Quinn says:

I hate this team. Egads.

124. PunjabiOil says:

Grebeshkov was cheering pretty hard after that 4-2 goal. He was probably thinking, that’s at least a $100,000 more.

The truth is, this team was done when Visnovsky got hurt.

125. doritogrande says:

The season comes down to MacT.

126. Black Dog says:

And Bruce explodes in ecstasy.

127. doritogrande says:

FIRE that son of a bitch.

128. PunjabiOil says:

Now there is the epitome of a dumb move by MacT.

What an idiot.

129. Bruce says:

Give MacT the Jack Adams award right now.

Scratch that. Ferfuxsakes.

130. oilerdago says:

//While this sucks massively, I think that anyone who states the above has not followed sports for many years…end of seasons bring strange last minute rallys and strange collapses. //

Bookie, with all due respect, their is a difference. This team has not shown any signs of pulling off a miracle (although they’ve just scored 2 late goals).

They’ve looked more like the 1964 Phillies or the 1969 Cubs, not the 2005-06 Oilers.

Just saying.

131. bookie says:

Nice Call team!

132. Icecastles says:

I went elsewhere during the stoppage. What the hell happened?

133. Quinn says:

Nice choice for guy to sit.

134. Coach pb9617 says:

Wow.

Wow.

Wow.

“Tough break for Edmonton” says Louie.

Are. you. fucking. kidding. me?

135. digger says:

MacT?

You’re so smart, you’re stupid.

136. bookie says:

Boy I hope they tie this one shorthanded, just cause it would be like fate proving a point.

I admit they look hopeless. I feel hopeless.

137. Bruce says:

The question is with 2:11 to go, why would MacT want to waste 2:00 of that on the PP?

Talk about a lose-lose scenario.

138. Icecastles says:

I think this ending makes it hurt even more.

139. doritogrande says:

Rexall faithful, why is MacT not being sized up for a noose?

140. Coach pb9617 says:

He’s trying to get fired.

141. Quinn says:

Ice, this ending simply fits with how the whole season has gone. Poor coaching decisions.

142. Icecastles says:

Rexall faithful, why is MacT not being sized up for a noose?

Because they arrived with one already made, I’m hoping.

143. digger says:

The ironic thing is that usually when MacT does his little illegal stick gambit, it usually works. This is the first time I can remember it backfiring on him.

What a time to fuck it up.

144. Bruce says:

That is a bonehead coaching call for the ages. Score two in 76 seconds at evens and then piss away the end of the game with a gamble that was unnecessary even if right, and fucking killer if it was wrong.

He can win his 300th game somewhere else.

145. doritogrande says:

Because they arrived with one already made, I’m hoping.

It better be made out of Harvey the Hound’s tongue.

146. Dennis says:

What?

147. jdrevenge says:

F*****************************************************************************************************************************************CK

148. Bruce says:

As in, it works and produces another MacT PowerPlay (TM)?

I repeat, what’s the fucking point?

149. Icecastles says:

Dorito – it’s funy, I was thinking about that Harvey The Hound moment earlier tonight,… and wondering how it could possibly be the same guy.

150. doritogrande says:

The good news from tonight?

Tom Gilbert pads his stats. Now tied for 6th in defense assists.

151. Bruce says:

The wife, sizing up the three stars:

Tom Gilbert??!! Whoever picked the stars didn’t watch this game. I don’t care how many points he got, he was terrible.

Me: Yes, dear.

152. Icecastles says:

I may be wrong, but I think this is the first game of the season where Edmonton actually outshot Aneheim.

//MacT has 1 year left on his contract. Obviously firing him will cost Katz ~1M. Though Katz is a rich guy, he has to be disappointed that his wealth fell from 2.1B to 1.5B in the past year.//

It is usually a bad idea to have a coach in the last year of his contract. You either fire them, or extend them.

In this case, there is only one thing to do. Fire him, and bring on Marc Crawford.

154. Coach pb9617 says:

Andrew Cogliano update:

3W – 8L tonight and 27% is well over his last month and a half rate, but Milan Kraft is over the horizon now.

That puts him at 44W 146L in his last 19 games — 23%

155. oilerdago says:

Would you say that MacT’s illegal stick gambit was the last act of a desperate man?

156. Bank Shot says:

I like Tom Gilbert.

They should try to find him a solid shutdown defender to play with. I think it’d help his game tremendously.

Why the Oilers thought they wouldn’t need a defenceman of that type this season is beyond me.

157. Icecastles says:

Not funny. Not funny at all.

Besides, I am starting to think that there may be no better way to motivate Penner than with a coach who has a burger in his name. :)

//Andrew Cogliano update:
    That puts him at 44W 146L in his last 19 games — 23%
    He needs to go 63%, 17W 10L over the last five games to avoid becoming the worst faceoff man of the decade.//

He has 18 goals, mostly playing with stiffs. Get off of his case. Cogliano isn’t the problem with this team.

159. Bruce says:

I’m the only one who said anything at the time, but I think Gilbert is lucky if the league doesn’t review the tape on that high stick. To me it looked deliberate, and vicious. Totally out of character, but suspensionable.

Not that it matters now.

160. Quinn says:

Don’t even JOKE about Bucky taking over this team!

Seriously, MacT before Bucky every day of the week and twice on Sundays.

161. Jon says:

It seems everyone is calling for change but am I the only one scared of what kind of change Lowebellini will bring? 80 million over 10 at Gaborik. 8 million a year for Bouwmeester.

Those are the type of scenarios that scare me.

Kevin Lowe does a respectable job at smaller deals and craps the bed with desperation and bigger deals.

If MacT is fired, does that mean Huddy and the cryptkeeper are fired also?

162. Black Dog says:

Yeah I like Tom Gilbert a lot too. Like Souray and Roloson and Horcoff I think he’s worn out.

Too bad. I know what Ty is saying – last year’s club rode the shootout and a lot of luck. But this team has had a bad stink about it since day one pretty well. Not a lot of heart. Nearly every single player had a worse season then last year.

Poor coaching. Poor management.

And all this talk of kids and injuries – take a look at the teams that have blown by the Oilers.

No excuses in St. Louis.

Its disappointing.

163. Bruce says:

Goddamit I’m still in shock. We score two to get back into the game, and our own coach takes us right back out of the game before the puck is dropped?

Shades of Tom Higgins there, and we all know how that ended.

164. marriedtotheoil says:

I should have followed my instinct when I got in that turning on the tv with 10 left in the 3rd was a really bad idea.

165. Quinn says:

Bruce,

assuming Gilbert gets some games(?) then what do we do for defense.

Sorry, made myself laugh, b/c I forgot the kind of defense the Oil have been playing lately (53 shots).

166. Bank Shot says:

I think that’s because whoever recommends guys like Hejda, and Glencross to Lowe has a better eye for talent than he does.

Fire Lowe. Keep his supporting staff minus Puppetlini. Fire the coaching staff, sans Huddy.

167. Icecastles says:

Jon – we can only hope so. I think with the failure on every level this year, a complete change behind the bench is warranted. MacT, Huddy, Bucky, that weird old guy…. There is nothing in the current philosophy or sense of unity that needs to be or should be salvaged.

I didn’t get a good look at the Gilbert play, but I thought he was falling and off balance when he committed the high sticking infraction.

169. Jon says:

Geoff Ward for coach…why? Why the hell not.

170. Lord Bob says:

Was I the only one who saw the part where Craig MacTavish ran out during a TV timeout with a box cutter and tried to cut Dwayne Roloson’s hamstrings, or did I only manage that based on all the other ways he tried to fuck this up?

171. Bruce says:

Quinn: I think it would put Strudwick in the top 4.

Gilbert’s best chance is that they all forget about it. It was “just” a double minor, not an automatic review I don’t think. If it gets to the point where somebody examines that video, the intent seemed pretty plain to my eye at least. An instantaneous but reckless decision.

172. doritogrande says:

An honest question here. Has any 500+ goal scorer ever, EVER been caught using an illegal stick?

That was as dumbfuck as MacT’s ever been.

173. Garth says:

If I didn’t have a nerf gun to shoot at the TV I would have turned the thing off after the second period and saved myself another meaningless tease of a failed comeback.
    Go Columbus and Washington. It will be so nice to watch routinely decent hockey in the playoffs.

174. Black Dog says:

Yeah I’m not sure where this concern that things could get worse comes from. It could but there’s not much further to go.

I remember earlier in the year I was talking up Andy Murray and someone cracked wise about the state of the Blues. Who’s laughing now? Look at the Hawks, the Blues, the BJs.

New coach. NOW! And if Tambellini makes a poor choice then he and Lowe will be next.

Easy to justify not making changes but the Oilers are getting close to Islander territory as it is.

175. PunjabiOil says:

Dallas wins today. They are 3 back. Hopefully they pass us so we can get the 9th overall pick.

176. doritogrande says:

I’m now cheering for the Dallas Stars to win-out the rest of the way. Go Dive for 12th place!

177. mc79hockey says:

Huh, didn’t realize I hadn’t posted this here – Cosh, Fenwick and I have been talking about this in our baseball draft room.

Selanne got burned doing this before. Happened in 2007, at the start of an OT. Negated a Ducks PP and the Sharks won a shootout. Guess he learned his lesson.

178. Bruce says:

Godot yes he was falling, but he looked, saw Ryan, and slashed him in the face. It did not seem a natural flailing stick while falling that Glenn Anderson used to get away with, he pretty much chopped the guy in the face.

Sportsnet is showing the replay as I write this and saying how Ryan tried to sell it … must have had a handy blood punch hidden in his helmet or something. I’m still seeing it the same way, Gilbert slashed him in the face. Ugly.

179. Bruce says:

blood pouch

180. knighttown says:

We watched history tonight. It’s not the playoffs but that botched stick call is on a list with Steve Smith, MAB injuring Roli and Conkin’s Brindy screw up as one of the worst moments in Oilers history.

With 2 goals in a minute and tons of time on the clock, there’s probably a 40% chance they tie that game up. And, like a football coach kicking a field goal (and missing) from the 1/2 yard line, it shows zero confidence in his team. “No way you pieces of shit can score on a 2:11 6-on-5 so I’ll have to try this.”

Christ Craig, you’ve got to be sure.

181. Icecastles says:

I like blood punch. Though I suppose that’s what Souray hands out when he’s pissed. :)

182. Coach pb9617 says:

!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

FORTY?

183. Bruce says:

In yet another of a stunning sequence of broadcasting blunders, Sportsnet has Manny Ramirez playing goal for the Boston Bruins.

184. Quinn says:

I always felt Ramirez was the best two sport player of all time.

185. Dennis says:

There’s the way I saw it.

186. knighttown says:

FORTY?

I’m adding a momentum factor to their normal PP%. Currently that factor sits at, oh, around 40%.

187. Chris says:

In fairness Icecastles, that was meant to be gallows humor.

188. mc79hockey says:

I make it more like 10%.

189. Icecastles says:

In fairness Icecastles, that was meant to be gallows humor.

Is there a better kind? :)

190. St George says:

Come on folks, this team has spent the entire season demonstrating you can’t count on them to score when they need to … take the first 58 minutes of this game for heaven’s sake. If MacT thinks he has good evidence the stick is illegal, it isn’t a bad call.

Their powerplay percentage isn’t even 20%. There’s no way in hell they have a 40% chance of tying this game in the final two minutes.

191. Coach pb9617 says:

Cogliano probably isn’t doing as much as he should.

However, It’s on MacTavish more than anyone – that he keeps sending the kid out there at center to get his ass kicked is one of the game’s great mysteries.

Worst faceoff man of the decade and the only guy that will appear in the bottom 20 of the decade twice. Make him Gagner’s RW. Yesterday.

192. Icecastles says:

they had at least a 74% chance of tying it.

193. Phil says:

YOU’RE ALL WRONG!!! Everyone here is blaming the wrong people. I blame Joey for the lack of effort this year – he changed detergents over last summer and the towels aren’t as fluffy.

As for tonight, it’s all LT’s fault. Posting a Stan Weir pic would’ve guaranteed that Selanne’s stick was illegal.

194. pboy says:

Just listening to MacT’s presser and he sounds just miserable about the “illegal stick” attempt. He’s pbviously an intelligent man but it’s just not working at all and at this point, I won’t be surprised to see the guy resign before he’s reassigned in the organization. He is incredibly lucky to have worked in this market for 8 years though. In places like New York, Boston, Toronto, Vancouver, Montreal, L.A. or New Jersey the press would have hounded him out of his job after missing the playoffs the last couple of years. The powderpuff questions the Edmonton media throws this guy are just so pathetic, it’s not surprising there is such a lack of accountability in this organization, from the executive offices, to the coaching staff, right down to the players on the ice.

195. quain says:

I’d like to thank the Edmonton Oilers for not only being a bunch of losers, but mounting enough of a run to screw my fantasy pool that started Selanne, Getzlaf, and Ryan tonight.

Way to go guys. Either win or stop fucking up my pool.

196. Bruce says:

More smart, Less brainfart

Was listening to 630 Ched on the way back from watching the game.

Tencer was interviewing THECAPTAINETHANMOREAU and this exchange was classic Cappy

Tencer “Tough game tonight”

Cappy “Yeah, we battled hard but we didn’t get that early goal that we needed” (ummm, Cappy you had a 1-0 lead)

Tencer “A tough night on special teams”

Cappy “Yeah, knew before the game it would come down to special teams and we couldn’t score when we needed to”

HEY JACKASS, YOUR PENALTY KILL WAS 1 FOR 4 TONIGHT. THAT’S RIGHT, YOU KILLED A WHOPPING 25% AND YOU THROW THE POWERPLAY UNDER THE BUS.

The guy simply thinks he does no wrong.

I wouldn’t be too exited to play for him either.

198. mc79hockey says:

Stauffer just casually mentioned that the Oilers went easy on Smyth and could have thrown him under the bus.

199. Phil says:

Ok, so MacT is saying he had ‘bad information’. This can only mean that Penner told him that Selanne played with an illegal stick. Therefore, it’s all Penner’s fault.

Sounds about right.

200. Lord Bob says:

Penner used Selanne’s stick to shovel bacon into his mouth one time and thought the curve was a bit steeper than when he used Perry’s stick for the same job.

« Older CommentsNewer Comments »