Oilers at Avs, G70/08-09

The Habs are Peter Mahovlich (#20) and Serge Savard (#18) and the Kansas City Scout skater is Simon Nolet. The goalie is (I believe) Michel Plasse, but it could also be Doug Favell or Pete McDuffe.

The Scouts became the Rockies who became the New Jersey Devils. So, unlike the San Jose Sharks who are an extension of the Oakland Seals via the Minnesota North Stars (ask me one day when we have 24 hours), the current Colorado Avalanche have no real connection to the NHL past in Denver.

Nice uniforms in KC, though.

The Edmonton Oilers need to get out of Denver with two points tonight. This isn’t a season to predict lines or pairings, it’s a season to fasten your seat belts and pray for a miracle. The Avalanche have some quality veterans and some kids with skill. A laugher (for the Oilers) is just too much to hope for in a season when the good guys can’t kill a penalty to save their souls.

322 Responses to "Oilers at Avs, G70/08-09"

« Older Comments
  1. Bruce says:

Colorado is trying to lull Edmonton to sleep? I’d say the reverse … and it worked.

Considering Colorado has 3 Peckhams and 4 Reddoxes out there, I’d like to see a little more action in their end of the ice. But boy, when it finally got there … wham! wham!!

DG: Good call on that absolutely brutal icing play by Moreau. Don’t know what, or even if, he was thinking there. Terrible.

As for Penner, I think he has been terrific in this game. I guess we’re looking for different things, Bookie.

2. rickibear says:

Do you think it was in the top 30 in the league with Penner? Minimum 1.5 MIN TOI

3. bookie says:

So I have an honest question. I get that Penner’s stats show the impact that he has. I see him going to the net (without the puck) and ‘making room’ there. I also see him bat in the odd rebound. Maybe that is enough (as the stats suggest).

Am I missing that much of his game? He seldom skates with the puck. He is a decent passer, but seldom touches the puck away from the crease area. What am I missing (and I am being serious with this question).

4. Schitzo says:

I loved Pisani on the right side of the PP – his wrister is at least as good as horcoff’s, if not better.

5. bookie says:

I did’t see the whole 1st and 2nd. I just noticed about 3 times when he didn’t activly pursue the puck.

Anyway, I am probably taking the fun out the blog today, so we can leave the discussion for another day I guess…

6. knighttown says:

Don’t look now but the Oilers could win the Special Team battle for the first time since February 16th, against Phoenix. That’s a DiMaggio like streak against a lot of bad teams. Pretty remarkable actually.

7. Quinn says:

There’s one play that didn’t die with Hemsky

8. Bruce says:

Peter Budaj is 12-3 lifetime against the Oilers.

Who does he think he is, Curtis Sanford?

9. B.C.B. says:

bookie: actually labour is not a commodity in the capitalist system. A commodity is an object strip of either its essential value, or more specifically its relations of social productions. I suggest reading economics written before 1950′s. Before human rights had that much influence on discourse.
    Hockey players are labour, not objects removed from their context of production. The NHL still needs the players to bring in the fans. They will go to who ever is going to pay them, and as long as the NHL is making money they will be paid.
    If the salary cap is $50 million, it means the teams are making an average of $89 million (rough numbers). The owners are still making money, so there is no reason to assume that players salaries are going to drop any time soon.

10. Quinn says:

I don’t know anything about Cody Macleod, but he seems like quite the firecracker out there tonight.

11. doritogrande says:

Pisani’s trying to shoot from everywhere tonight. I forgot what a great release San Fernando has.

12. Quinn says:

Whoo hoo a puck batting! Way to go confident Roli!

13. gary b says:

the Penner is mightier along the boards.

14. bookie says:

the teams are making an average of $89 million

Average is a critical word here, if 5 or 6 teams are doing far worse than that, then the league will need to have some revenue sharing if it doesn’t want to contract. Demand is really concentrated (geographically) which creates a bit of a problem. I am a bit lazy calling labour a commodity, but given that players are very mobile they essentially are tied to market forces in the same manner as a commodity (of course the whole CBA and the oligopoly of the owners distorts this).

Lastly, in watching the third more closely, I see Penner making some nice plays (solid on the puck) and making a good contribution. So, despite my seeing him play a little lazy at times, he is having a good game. Sorry Bruce and Coach…

15. Bruce says:

We REALLY could have used a whistle there, Roli.

16. PunjabiOil says:

I've watched a lot of Hilter youtube videos the past days.

I liked this one too – regarding the Thrashers signing Ron Hainsey.

17. oilerdago says:

Ya think Roli’s going to get a hard time for that muffed single?

BTW, Roli and Brodziak had nice blocks in front of the net on the replay sequence.

18. doritogrande says:

Okay, this is a good line.

Kotalik lights the lamp.

19. gary b says:

GOALTLIK!

20. oilerdago says:

Nice one for Kotalik there and a beautiful pass by Gagner.

21. Bruce says:

Two beauty passes by Row-bert on the last two goals.

Time to find Winwood’s Valerie I’d say.

23. doritogrande says:

bookie:

Thanks for that man. That should be played whenever he scores.

24. Scott says:

ThanksBoo-kieeeeeeeeeee!
    ThanksBoo-kie!

25. doritogrande says:

Fuck. Not Smid again.

26. Black Gold says:

scary elbow for a guy that may or may not have a ‘sore neck’. :(

27. Quinn says:

Come on! The kid’s brain can only get so jellied.

Looked pretty intentional on the replay.

Aren’t these the ones that are hard to kill off?

We need a goal.

29. doritogrande says:

HAHAHA

FUCK YOU IAN LAPIERRIERE!

Gagner on the Powerplay!

30. PunjabiOil says:

Sam Gagner West!

31. oilerdago says:

Gagner! 3 point nite!

32. Scott says:

We need a goal.

That one is for you LT.

33. Bruce says:

That is a cheap shot. Everybody loves Lappy, but it’s not all funand games when you go for a guy’s head. Scoring on the PP is one way to get even, but I wouldn’t mind seeing Smid give him a little back the next time they go in a corner together.

34. Quinn says:

Gagner and Kotalik look to have a little chemistry tonight.

35. Scott says:

So what are the odds Pouliot or Stortini draw in against Chicago?

Poor schleps.

36. striatic says:

i like seeing Kotalik on the point.

play from the point there lead to a goal.

37. Temujin says:

And just two nights ago you were all depressed and dejected about the Oilers.

Oh how things have changed.

Always nice to see the Avs get destroyed.

38. doritogrande says:

Man. I jumped that one a little early. Thought Kotalik had his 2nd.

Robert Nilsson is a helluva hockey player. He seems to have his Dad’s ability to disappear for stretches but man can he play.

40. bookie says:

Can we Book IT! yet on this one tonight, or am I risking the wrath of the hockey gods?

41. Bruce says:

How the hell did we lose to these guys last week?

Oh yeah, “home ice advantage”.

42. Quinn says:

I reserve the right to be manic-depressive about this team, Temujin.

Book it. in pencil.

44. jon k says:

He’s Gagner’s catalyst, it would seem.

45. doritogrande says:

So what are the odds Pouliot or Stortini draw in against Chicago?

With both of them in the PB, a thought occurs. Which of Jacques/Smac got waived/put on IR? I see 16 forwards, 6 defensemen, 2 goalies on this roster. And that’s 1 body too many.

46. PunjabiOil says:

It probably won’t come down to it, but if the Oilers and Stars are tied in points (assuming the Stars lose another game in OT), it would come down to goal differential to determine who finishes ahead.

i.e. – Tied w/ wins, season series tied 2-2.

Before this game, the Oilers were -17, and the Stars were -15. After tonight, the OIlers could shave the deficit to -12.

47. bookie says:

Let me rephrase that for you LT

THE OILERS are a helluva team. They seem to have the ability to disappear for stretches but man can they play (sometimes).

48. oilerdago says:

//Book it. in pencil.//

LT: O ye of little faith.

49. PunjabiOil says:

He’s Gagner’s catalyst, it would seem.

50. doritogrande says:

Ka-fucking-boom!

51. Bruce says:

DG: No roster limits after the deadline.

Maybe we should give SMac a game in Chicago, gong Brodziak, and the Class of 2003 can have a reunion in the PB.

52. oilerdago says:

Sssooouraayy!

53. Temujin says:

I reserve the right to be manic-depressive about this team, Temujin.

hehehe!

How’s O’Sullivan playing? I think you’re going to like having him on the Oilers.

54. Keegan says:

Holy crap!

55. PunjabiOil says:

Make that -11.

56. gary b says:

that shot was biblical.

57. doritogrande says:

HATTRICK!!!!!!!!

58. Black Gold says:

this is looking like it could be the most lopsided oil win of the year.
    good time for it too. :)

59. PunjabiOil says:

-10.

60. oilerdago says:

Gagner!!!

61. jon k says:

FIRST CAREER HAT TRICK FOR GAGNER!

62. Keegan says:

Gags with the Hatty!!!!

63. Alice says:

What are our chances if we’re leading going into the OT?

64. Quinn says:

Man, this internet feed is running 10 seconds too slow for your comments.

65. bookie says:

That’s what I love about this team. How they just dispatch other teams at will…

66. Scott says:

I think at this point the only appropriate response is to laugh at the poor hopeless Avalanche.

67. PunjabiOil says:

Alternatively, all the Oiler fans in the building should begin chanting in unison:

“It’s quite sad, actually”

68. Bruce says:

Two beauty plays by Nilsson that time, patience the first time and then another dandy feed.

Too bad we couldn’t have had these four third period goals one at a time in the last four games when we actually needed them.

69. bookie says:

Wonder if this kind of suffering is worth the extra million a year that Smitty is getting in Colorado?

I would be happy with it!

70. Quinn says:

“It’s quite sad, actually”

Most complex unison chant all time

71. Scott says:

So about three weeks ago I made a deal with my girlfriend where she gets a backrub every time the Oilers win, otherwise nothing. The idea was it would help her to understand my mood after the games. She HATES OT losses. She’s been PISSED with the Oilers performance recently and when they won the shootout she cheered big time. So, it’s working. Now, the deal is ten minutes for every goal they win by. She’s going to be pretty happy tonight.

72. Phil says:

Good for you, Gagner. Been a long time coming.

73. doritogrande says:

Thanks to my girlfriend for giving me the night off.

74. Quinn says:

Nice to be on the winning side of one of those scores

75. doritogrande says:

Also, thanks to my girlfriend for not being Scott’s girlfriend.

Cuz mine loves her massages.

76. CrazyCoach says:

Oh Sure the night I have to absolutely study and they win 8-1.

I was just about to break out the acid wash and my #33 McSorley jersey to, thinking it was 1987 again.

77. Aram says:

bravo gags!

78. Brett Gee 英 明 says:

So, from what we can tell about Sam’s career so far, he scores when the pressure is on. Not a good first half of the season but last season and this season, in the end, is ripping it up. Nice to see.

79. Temujin says:

Hemsky, Horcoff, O’Sullivan are all -1

Yergh.

80. Black Gold says:

“It’s quite sad, actually”

Most complex unison chant all time

runner up was at a gm place vs sj.

“Boucher’s a Douchebag!”

gotta love canuck fans. :)

81. Mustafa Hirji says:

Outshot 8-16 in the third despite having several more PPs. This might be a fluke rather than an earned good third period. I didn’t watch the game though.

82. jon k says:

Kotalik only played 11 minutes, almost exclusively with Sam.

Wow. That’s an interesting situation, eh? In the doghouse with the coach already, but still playing to help out the team’s pet project.

83. Bruce says:

Yeah, that 8-1 goal was Big.

84. gary b says:

ummm, should we all pray now?

“thank you, Lord, for the blessings we have just received.

Also, it’s a back-to-back – you’re not still the vengeful, spiteful type, right?”

85. speeds says:

So, Roloson or Deslauriers tomorrow night?

Bring in either/both Pouliot and Stortini for “fresh legs” tomorrow night, with the BTB(and quicker than normal turnaround as they lose an hour going to CHI)?

86. Steve says:

Without looking, who’s the Oilers’ current leader in assists this season?

87. PunjabiOil says:

Vancouver up 1-0 over St. Louis after 40.

SJ and NSH tied at 2 after 20.

Anaheim & Phoenix tied at 1 after 20.

88. Quinn says:

Speak for yourself, gary, I was praying that whole game. I can give God a rest from my frantic cries now.

89. Dennis says:

The way I saw it.

On the smallest tip, if 34 hadn’t scored, you wouldn’t know that line was on the ice.

90. Brett Gee 英 明 says:

Yeah, that 8-1 goal was Big.

Im talking about the past few games, with the playoff race. That’s the pressure I was referring to. I guess it wasn’t obvious enough?

91. PunjabiOil says:

Steve: Gilbert

92. Phil says:

Maybe the best stat of the night – the PK goes 3 for 3. First time they’ve not allowed a PP goal in 9 games.

93. Oiler Mag says:

Oilers score 8, and 83 is pointless? Tells a story, no?

94. doritogrande says:

Punjabi beat me to it.

Didn’t he break our rookie D-goal scoring record just last year?

95. Bruce says:

Brett: Just joshing with ya. It’s a night for levity, no?

96. jon k says:

PJO: “No."

This game:
    Sam Gagner (11) Snap Shot – Assists: Robert Nilsson (15) & Ales Kotalik (20)
    3rd Period

Ales Kotalik (14) Tip-In – Assists: Sam Gagner (20) & Robert Nilsson (16)

Sam Gagner (13) Slap Shot – Assists: Robert Nilsson (17) & Ales Kotalik (22)

March 14:

Robert Nilsson (9) Assists: Sam Gagner (18) & Sheldon Souray (25)

March 12:

Robert Nilsson (8) Wrist Shot – Assists: Sam Gagner (17) & Marc-Antoine Pouliot (12)

In the last 5 games Gagner has 8 points and Nilsson has been in on 5 of them.

Seems like an interesting little sample.

If you do actually have any coherent thoughts on the subject I’d be glad to hear them.

97. Bruce says:

Nick Kypreos would be a good candidate to receive the first brain transplant. What a maroon.

98. doritogrande says:

Nick Kypreos: The heir apparent to Don Cherry?

99. Bruce says:

Hemsky with 2 blocked shots for the second game in a row.

It’s all about finding a niche.

100. knighttown says:

A few comments:

1. The fun is over. Chicago, Minnesota and Detroit are tougher than ANY team the Oilers have played in a fortnight and they are all lined up.

2. One could question offensive Ladislav Smid’s upside. And I worry about his longevity. Some people have a knack for avoiding the big hit/cheap shot but he seems to have a knack for finding it.

3. He’s a good goalie and this will come off as harsh, but I have to assume Dwayne Roloson is an epic dickhead. Up a couple of goals, killing a penalty and he continues to bat at the puck like an arrogant fucking douche.

4. I question LT a fair amount because he puts himself out there but man, he was an island in supporting the kid when Gags was awful and was getting the golden child treatment from the coach. As is often the case, he was right.

5. Now THAT’S called killing the soft parade!

6. On the knack thing, some people, like say, Chris Pronger, have a knack for getting the point shot through. Jason Strudwick has an incredible gift for NOT getting the point shot through. There was a play in the second where O’Sullivan won a battle in the corner, circled out and passed to a wide open Strudwick. He walked the line and snapped the shot directly into someone’s pads leading to a 2-on-2. They never recovered and Roloson had to make a splits glove save on a dangerous snap shot from Hejduk. Visnovsky would have made a better play.

101. PunjabiOil says:

Jon K: I said it this year and last, Gagner’s production relies so much on Nilsson being on his game, even if Nilsson is not necessarily putting up the points himself.

He’s Gagner’s catalyst, it would seem.

I disagree on the assessment that Gagner’s production relies ”so heavily” on Nilsson being on his game.

One could just look at the box scores are argue the opposite – that Nilsson’s production relies ‘so much’ on Sam Gagner being on the top of his game.

Sam Gagner is a special player. He will continue progressing ahead as being one, in my opinion – Robert Nilsson or no Robert Nilsson.

102. Dennis says:

Speeds: Well, I don’t believe MacT was hard-matching the 13 line and they were a collective 3/7 AND 85 was just being used as the 5th option on the PK.

So, there’s no reason why we shouldn’t put 78 back in for 85.

Don’t get me wrong, I’d like to get 46 back in there as well but after 21′s performance tonight, I wouldn’t say he’s eligible for a HS until G3 of the first round of the playoffs. And you have to think 12 earned himself another length of rope as well.

BTW, that was a great set of pass where 89 and 21 took turns setting each other up and 12 chipped in with a couple of dandy feeds as well. 12′s certainly got it in him to be a great playmaker, no doubt.

Anyway, this is the fifth game in a row where the Oilers outchanced the opp at EV and anytime this team finishes no worse than even on ST, I like our chances against anyone other than the top tier teams.

Now, all we need to do is get 71 back for the playoffs and pick up a guy at the deadline who can win faceoffs and kill penalties!

103. knighttown says:

As always Dennis, you notice something pretty neat. I actually do not like this line. Cogs is a little like Hemsky in that he needs the puck with speed in the neutral zone to be effective and for whatever reason that hasn’t happened at all in 2 games. Unlike Hemsky, he uses that play like a point guard against the zone, penetrate and kick out. Pisani works but Reddox hasn’t. Of course, that pass likely means Poo sits for awhile yet.

104. Schitzo says:

Visnovsky would have made a better play.

I’d hope so, otherwise the Oilers should be asking for the last $5 million in Lubo’s salary back!

105. Brett Gee 英 明 says:

Brett: Just joshing with ya. It’s a night for levity, no?

Amen, it is.

106. Coach pb9617 says:

but he does not dig for pucks like other players.

That’s a bit bizarre considering he’s the only one that consistently works the board and the crease.

the Penner is mightier along the boards.

See?

Gagner and Kotalik look to have a little chemistry tonight.

Gagner and Nilsson are driving that bus – Floatalik jumped on at the last stop. Gagner and Nilsson put on a passing clinic. Granted, it was against Cross, Staios and Syvret…

They weren’t playing Little Sisters of the Poor and Merciful.

Hemsky, Horcoff, O’Sullivan are all -1

Yergh.

Oilers score 8, and 83 is pointless? Tells a story, no?

Missing the bus driver :)

Reddox is there and Cogliano isn’t pulling his weight.

107. Coach pb9617 says:

Cogliano 4W 14L in the circle tonight for 29%. He actually raises his March Faceoff percentage.

PLEASE just let Pouliot take his draws.

108. Dennis says:

KT: Well, it’s my own metric so obviously I’m gonna believe what the scoring chances say:) but, yeah, they were really quiet tonight.

Outside of the 34 goal, the only other team I really noticed them was at one point during the second period where they were caught for an icing and 13 had to take an own zone draw.

Predictably, he lost it clean and it wound up back to the Avs right D.

You know, 13-78 played together a lot this year and they weren’t great but they weren’t bad either; plus, 13′s awful at draws. Also, 78′s shown some past chem with 34, 85 hasn’t really impressed anyone and 78′s a better faceoff man so I can’t think of one fucking reason why 78 isn’t playing instead of 85.

109. HBomb says:

Hilarious. Missed the 7-goal blowout in November against Columbus, and missed the 8-goal effort tonight. Just my luck (oh well, I had a date and then a ball hockey game, so all good it is).

All that really needs to be said: this one’s for Master Samwise!

110. Lord Bob says:

You know, I’m happy for the win, but seriously. Middle-aged journeyman Dwayne Roloson has now started more consecutive games than any goaltender in Oilers history, and we’ve got Hockey Hall of Famer Grant Fuhr in our rear-view mirror, not to mention Curtis Joseph from the days when he could play 79 games a year and make 55 saves in each of them.

That’s kinda crazy.

111. Bruce says:

85 hasn’t really impressed anyone

Dennis: Reddox impressed me tonight with two fine cross-seam passes, one of which Pisani converted into a goal and the other which Souray blasted off the post. Not sure how you didn’t count that a scoring chance, the overhead camera angle showed the net actually jiggling after Souray’s blast rocketed off the frame.

That said in two games back Reddox has no shots, no hits, and very little impact. He contributed a bit to the PK tonight and didn’t make any glaring errors, and for that you know he’ll be back in the line-up tomorrow.

As for that second-period icing, that was the one a couple of us commented on where Moreau had full possession between the blueline and centre and nobody around and instead of making one step to get to the redline he just dumped it for no reason and sure enough Cogs was caught out there and the expected chaos ensued off the expected lost faceoff. I cannot frigging believe that MacT keeps throwing that guy out there for any faceoffs at any time … he is the worst faceoff guy I think Ive ever seen, and getting worse.

112. St George says:

I would be happy with it!

I dunno. After the first $10 million, I am sure you get the itch to play for a team that might have a winning record before your career is over again.

113. Dennis says:

Actually, Bruce, I Did count that as a scoring chance.

With 8:18 remaining in the first period, I had this particular chance logged as 44 PK: meaning it happened while killing a penalty.

I said Good Day, sir!;)

114. Bruce says:

Dennis: Right you are. Forgot it was SH. Whatever, Reddox was on for two scoring chances and didn’t get credited for either, but he made a terrific pass in both instances.

That’s enough to get him 10 or 20 more games.

Seriously, every once in a while the ginger kid shows a little moxy in the O-Zone which is an encouraging aspect of his game projecting forward.

115. Bruce says:

Sorry, meant he didn’t get credited as The guy with the SC, obviously he did get credit for being on the ice. But he was central to the play both times.

116. Coach pb9617 says:

With Zorg in the PB, Ginger is your new pet?

117. Bruce says:

Coach: Not hardly. But I’m not going to crucify the guy either. Goilers.

118. dawgbone says:

Whatever sort of reverse Karma you have going on in your GD blogs LT…

KEEP IT UP!

119. dawgbone says:

Bruce… kind of makes you wonder who counts the hitting statistic.

Reddox took a pretty good run at a Colorado D-man in the 2nd period behind the net. Not sure how that wasn’t credited as a hit.

Unless they only count them now when a player hits the guy who has the puck instead of just slightly after he passes it.

Coach… Kotalik was full value on that 4th goal. He’s the one who gained the zone, fought off a check and drew two Avalanche players to him so Nilsson could pick up the loose puck and feed Gagner.

120. Coach pb9617 says:

Coach: Not hardly. But I’m not going to crucify the guy either. Goilers.

Next. Hhh, crucifixion?

Good. Out of the door. Line on the left. One cross each.

Based on everything we know, outside of MacTavish and his preference for his BFFs, there is no reason that Reddox should be on the ice right now.

121. slipper says:

And why has Zach Stortini started in the defensive zone 25 more times than the offensive zone this year?

I know the answer!