Oilers at Avs, G70/08-09

The Habs are Peter Mahovlich (#20) and Serge Savard (#18) and the Kansas City Scout skater is Simon Nolet. The goalie is (I believe) Michel Plasse, but it could also be Doug Favell or Pete McDuffe.

The Scouts became the Rockies who became the New Jersey Devils. So, unlike the San Jose Sharks who are an extension of the Oakland Seals via the Minnesota North Stars (ask me one day when we have 24 hours), the current Colorado Avalanche have no real connection to the NHL past in Denver.

Nice uniforms in KC, though.

The Edmonton Oilers need to get out of Denver with two points tonight. This isn’t a season to predict lines or pairings, it’s a season to fasten your seat belts and pray for a miracle. The Avalanche have some quality veterans and some kids with skill. A laugher (for the Oilers) is just too much to hope for in a season when the good guys can’t kill a penalty to save their souls.

324 Responses to "Oilers at Avs, G70/08-09"

Newer Comments »
  1. Icecastles says:

Judging by the mask, that is indeed Michel Plasse in net. I don’t know where you get the historical photos, LT, but keep ‘em coming!

I see we had another freakin’ OT game with Anahei,/Nashville last night, but at least there was some help in the Dallas game. It’s a broken record that says we need this game tonight, but being in the playoffs by one point with so much competition (thank gawd we have a couple games in hand) isn’t what worries me – it’s the fact that we have almost burnt up the games that the Oil ‘should’ be able to win. Soon will be a string of games against far tougher opponents than have been faced in the past couple weeks.

I have a good feeling about tonight though… and in fairness, the games that they have lost in OT they’ve not looked particularly bad in. They just seem to be lacking that killer instinct that separates the men from the boys.

2. HBomb says:

Ok, does anyone else think it’s completely stupid that any game that goes to OT suddenly has 50% impact on the standings?

Wouldn’t it make more sense to have every game worth the same number of points (i.e. award 3 points for an OT win) or make those games that go past sixty worth less (loser never gets a point, but you only get one point for the win in OT or SO)?

This is something that has irked me for years. Discuss.

3. bookie says:

The 3 point game totally makes sense. It also would allow playing at .500 to really mean something. Under the present system 23 of 30 teams are over .500.

It also would mean that regulation was the best time to win a game in.

Some suggest that this would impact the point totals (and make past point totals meaningless), but we have allready done that. Teams can now have a 10 game winning streak, that in the past would have included some ties.

So its the most logical thing to do (the three point game) with one exception. It would stretch out the points so that many of the sad sack teams (often including the Oilers) would now be clearly out of the playoff race as opposed to hanging on and making it exciting.

4. jdrevenge says:

If you’re gonna say three for a win you might as well get rid of the one point for making it to OT/shootout. It is kind of stupid that teams pick up a point just for making it to overtime. Part of being a team now is having the shooters that are capable of winning it for you in the shootout. Did the extra point come about due to teams whining about the shootout ending it rather than a tie?

5. quain says:

The extra point came about because if you went to OT you were tied after 60, so it seemed fair to keep the ‘everybody gets a point’ rule, but they wanted to add a winner, so the winner had to get another point too.

Honestly, I don’t care too much that the loser point exists – win your games and it doesn’t matter. Yeah, it creates a bit of fake drama, but oh well.

6. bookie says:

Any game going to overtime would be a 2-1 split. The team ‘winning’ in overtime would get two points and the team losing in OT would get 1 point.

The result is that there would be no games that are ‘worth more’ than other games. It would avoid us cheering against overtime for teams that the Oil are fighting with for a playoff spot.

Winning in regulation time would make it a ‘better’ win.

With that said, i would be happy removing the single point as a solution so that every game is a 2 point game.

7. hunter1909 says:

Three points per game makes perfect sense, but the lame excuse seems to be that it screws up historical points ratios or whatever.

Like anyone gives a flying monkey re how many points the 1953 Blackhawks got, or the 1985 Oilers for that matter.

In the UK, which seems to lead everything there is about soccer(other than actually playing the game on the field) they instituted 3 points for soccer games years ago, and, naturally the rest of the world soon followed suit. And guess what? No one worries at all about former points collected by past teams, simply because it doesn’t really matter.

3 points for the regulation time win, loser in OT gets 1 point, winner gets 2 points. Presto. A mathematically perfect system(which should satisfy the geeks).

8. Jon says:

The loser point was brought in to create offence when the overtime was still 5 on 5 because the NHL and the fans all said that they hated ties. Then the NHL went to 4 on 4 OT and then ultimately the shootout.

The shootout makes the loser point moot because now no game can end with a tie.

If I ran the NHL for a day I would say an OT loss get’s no points and an OT win get’s 2 points, just like regulation.

However, a shootout loss still get’s the looser point to appease the traditionalists.

The big concern is having a really boring defensive OT and people just playing to get the one point (which is why they brought the loser point in) but I think that it is really hard to play overally defensive in 4 on 4 hockey and that this would not impact stratagy that much.

Just my 2 cents

9. Icecastles says:

I think the three-point system makes a lot of sense in the bigger picture. I think a lot of us as fans are hating it right now because we see it keeping other teams close to us, the irony being that without those one-point games, we would likely have dropped quite a bit too. It is a frustrating system when it works against you, and a ‘thank god we have it’ system when it is the only thing keeping you competitive.

But here’s my monumentally fucked up suggestion on how it could work:

OT/SO Win: 1.5 points:
    OT/SO Loss: 0.5 points

The math is a royal pissoff, but here is the thing:

If you don’t win in regulation, why should you get a ‘bonus’ point? You didn’t win when you were supposed to. If you loose in OT, you still loose – why should you get a full point? This method increases the motivation to win in regulation rather than hang on to the tie until overtime, because regardless of the outcome, it won’t be worth as much. If you are a team that tends to play a lot of close games and loose a lot of OT games at least there is something to show for it. And obviously, you are going to want the full two points – better play for them rather than just playing cautious hockey for the final 3 minutes in a tie, like often seems to happen.

It also rewards the winner/looser for making it through regulation without upsetting the balance of some games being worth 2 and some games worth 3. Alternately, Just make regulation wins worth 3 points, though I am less fond of that.

10. doritogrande says:

After three long weeks, the new girlfriend gave me a night off.

I get to watch hockey again!

I like the way the new lines appeared to mesh last game. Especially playing O’Sullivan with our offensive best, and MacT realizing Kotalik is much the same player on the off-wing that Cole was. Gagner on the 1-line PP was great. We’re finally putting the kid in a position to produce, and lookie lookie what he does.

Another question for discussion: Which Roloson run impressed you more, his Cup run or the streak he’s currently riding? I personally think that the current run beats out the cup successes because he’s getting results with a lesser team.

11. Jonathan Willis says:

MacT realizing Kotalik is much the same player on the off-wing that Cole was.

That’s quite an insult to Cole.

12. St George says:

1) Now I know where my beer league jerseys came from!

2) The three-point deal was discussed at the GM meeting a year or two after the lockout. As I remember, it was the GMs that were largely unanimous against the idea, because they didn’t want their teams to be “penalized” for not winning in regulation. It is a strange one indeed, since my informal poll of about 50 hockey fans shows 100% support for the 3-point approach.

13. Phil says:

IIRC, Roli was no great guns during the regular season between when he came to Edmonton and the playoffs. As we all know, they just squeaked into 8th, and I remember sitting on the edge of my seat a lot because he seemed to allow bad goals now and then. It wasn’t until the playoffs started that the switch went on for him.

I would say that this stretch he’s put up better individual performances. But, as you alluded to, he’s had to because he’s got a Keystone Cop routine going on in front of him.

14. B.C.B. says:

You all should go over and check out what Bruce has to say about the extra point, I think it is right on the money:
    another-day-another-bettman-point.html

Personally I would like them to go to a system, where it is three points for a win (regulation or OT) and one point for making it to the shootout with another point for the shootout win. Actually, I just like to see a football system where it is three points for a win and one point for a draw (but I am willing to compromise and shootouts are growing on me).

If Roli out plays the Minor-league tender COL has in net we should win. Please win.

Clap! Clap!

15. Coach pb9617 says:

From the last thread

League-wide, there are 135 forwards on playoff contending teams that are playing 12 mins+ of ES a night. Ethan Moreau is 132nd in Corsi. Ethan Moreau is second in penalties taken. Ethan Moreau is 134th is taken/drawn differential

please tell me, who is worse?

Shep, only David Backes is worse.

Nice uniforms in KC, though.

You ain’t lyin, LT. If I ruled the hockey world, I’d get the Thrashers to KC, but only if they were the Scouts, and the logo and colors came with them. That’s one of the best logos in sports history.

I’ve always wanted a Scouts sweater for framing purposes in the gameroom.

16. Bruce says:

Judging by the mask, that is indeed Michel Plasse in net.

IC Bang on. When LT expressed doubt I had a close look, saw the mask and said “Plasse”. Then I come into the comments section and there it is in #1.

Plasse was famous for a couple reasons: he was the first overall pick in the 1968 draft, chosen by the Stanley Cup champion Montreal Candiens — ask LT how that worked — and also for scoring a goal in a CHL game in 1971, whioch I believe was a first for a professional game.

Interestingly Plasse played his first NHL game for St. Louis after being sold to the Blues for cash in December 1970, but then showed up in Montreal the next season after being sold back to the Habs for cash in the off-season. Ask LT how that worked too. To me it smacked of the old lend-lease arrangements the New York Yankees had with the Kansas City Athletics way back in the day. Sam Pollock had irons in the fire in every expansion city, or so it seemed.

17. HBomb says:

Call me crazy, but for a mix of history and exposure (i.e. going after the largest TV market without an NHL team), I’d move some team to Houston and re-name them the Aeros long before I moved a team into Kansas City.

Southern Ontario (2nd team) and Seattle would come before KC, in my world. Cleveland would be fourth.

18. HBomb says:

And oh yeah – isn’t there some sort of racial controversy over the name and logo on the KC Scouts uniforms? Maybe that’s why they’re not available in the NHL vintage collection.

19. Coach pb9617 says:

Shep – one more thing. Number two in the league in taken/drawn differential is Erik Cole.

Number one is….

Patrick O’Sullivan

20. speeds says:

So, if the Oilers win tonight, do they go with Deslauriers tomorrow night in CHI?

21. CrazyCoach says:

HBomb, until the NHL starts paying me royalties for my image on those KC jerseys, they stay in the mothballs. ha ha ha!

Pssst, I’m Aboriginal.

Bruce you’re right about Plasse. I remember reading that on a hockey card, with Plasse wearing a helmet/cage combo and wearing a Rockies jersey.

22. Coach pb9617 says:

A world without the Scouts sucks.

There is a controversy over the Scouts logo? It’s as classy and honorable a logo as I’ve seen.

23. hunter1909 says:

Also with 3 points for a win, Oilers management can sell us fans on them being a 100 point team.

: p

24. bookie says:

So, lots of scorn for the Kotalik trade (not fully justified given that it was a late 2nd round pick ) but how about that Cole rental for O’sullivan for a few years plus a second round draft pick. That one still seems like an amazing steal at this point to me.

25. pboy says:

HBomb: Sorry, I don’t know how to make a proper link. Kansas City Scouts jerseys for sale on EBay, add to your collection.

26. Bruce says:

B.C.B.: Thanks for the push. I have had very strong opinions about the Bettman Point since aboiut 5 minutes after they announced Version 1 of it in 1999. It was immediately apparent that the three-point game was to the joint benefit of the two teams that play in the game, and to the detriment of the 28 teams not playing in it. 10 years later, I feel more strongly than ever that it compromises the competitive integrity of the game, and depresses offence in the process.

The median of league performance against itself, once cast in stone at .500, is now a fluctuating value in the .555 to .558 range (this morning it stands at .5578747628083491461100569259962… )

Moreover, it gets worse as the season progresses and more and more games go to overtime. Since last Tuesday some 41% of games (27 of 66) have reached overtime, with the median Pts% for those games a staggering .602. We have seen the Oilers take advantage of it somewhat, by going 1-0-3, .625 without actually winning a single goddam game. Just because Oilers are (once again) taking advantage of the system does not mean the system ain’t broken.

In the recent three game homestand, of 190 minutes of hockey the score was tied for 131 minutes, including stretches of 32 minutes against ATL, 29 minutes against COL, and 43 minutes against STL. When one team held the lead the games were more wide open with at least one team pushing the attack, but during those longs stretches where they were tied not a lot seemed to be happening a lot of the time.

Award a third point for winning in regulation and risk/reward becomes balanced. As it stands, a team is rewarded the same for winning in overtime as in regulation, but more for losing in OT than in regulation, and guess what? Lots of games go to overtime. I suppose that’s what the league wants; Bettman being a basketball guy figures that if people tune in for the last 5 minutes to see how it ends is a good thing.

This hockey fan would rather watch a good 60-minute game, thank you very much. An honest game where both teams have just as much incentive to win as they do to not lose.

27. Traktor says:

I’d like to go back to 2 points for the win and zero of OTL. If it means less goals then so be it.

It makes no sense that you can play like shit for 82 games a year and still make the playoffs. All it does is favor the tweener teams that play for the tie.

28. Jonathan Willis says:

Bookie: Tambellini robbed Rutherford/Lombardi blind when he grabbed O’Sullivan.

Tremendous player, reasonable contract, still young. Getting him alone for Cole and a 5th would have been a win.

29. speeds says:

Bruce:

I keep waiting for a game, late in the season, where both teams could really use a point, and one of the teams decides to hold the puck behind their net for the last 12 minutes of the 3rd period, with the opposition not pressuring them once before the clock stops.

30. Doogie2K says:

I know it’s a complicated story, but is it more complicated than I remember? I mean, they dissolved the North Stars-Barons merger, gave the Gunds a new franchise in the Bay Area, and held a dispersal draft…is there more?

As an aside, and I may have mentioned this a couple of GDTs ago, but I recently bought the first (and possibly last) KC Scouts T-shirt I saw in Calgary. $30, but I don’t regret it a bit. I would buy that jersey in a minute if I saw it. (@pboy: You tempt me. Do I have $35?)

This is something that has irked me for years. Discuss.

Is there any need to? I don’t think you’ll find a person on here that thinks that having 1/4 of the games worth three points and the rest worth two isn’t stupid.

He was rusty in the beginning from spending most of the season as a ballcap model. I seem to remember him finally getting his shit together in late March-early April, right around the time the offence completely dried up.

31. rickibear says:

H Bomb: Did a review of markets this summer based on Metro size, No. of Corporate offices, No NBA Team to compete for Winter draw, NFL/MLS to pinch season, or College Crowd.

Soutern Ontario: Yes
    Las Vegas: Maybe
    Seattle: has NFL/MLS pinch but hockey could fill the Basketball void.

Dream to see:
    36 Team league w/ 4 confrences.

9 West:

Stockholm
    Helsinki
    Prague
    Zurich
    Hamburg
    All europe centers are:
    1.Metro centers around 2M or better.
    2.Rank in the top 20 for corporation head office count for europe.
    3.Have historical hockey history.

So bye to PHX, TAMPA, ATL, Contraction or moved to europe.

86 game schedule.
    4×8=32 in conference.
    2×27=54 out conference.

All out conference travel requires:
    1.6 travel blocks of 4 or five games.
    2.Min 1hr flight and hotel stays between games. (no going home during the travel block.)

Imagine:
    1. the merchandise growth in those countries
    2.the tv revenue.
    3.The ticket draws for teams stable enough not to require cash infusion.

32. Tyler says:

Wait until you see what Chicago wears!

33. bookie says:

11,STL,96,73
    12,ANA,97,72
    13,LAK,91,68
    14,PHX,91,64
    15,COL,83,64

34. bookie says:

Note that the sorting in the previous post is based upon the current system

35. bookie says:

All in all, the three point system makes a very limited difference.

36. Sam says:

I'm sorry to do this by comment, but I couldn't find an email for you guys. I write an independent game program for the Blackhawks, and need to do a Q&A with an Oilers blogger for Friday's game. Where can I email the questions to, if you're interested? I hope you are, I'm in a real jam here.

37. Bruce says:

Speeds: there was a game close to that a few years ago on the last day of the 1999-2000 season, where Buffalo needed a point to get in. Not sure what was in it for the other guys, but the game was desultory, a 1-1 stalemate as I recall. What I remember well is that the shots on goal in the third period were 3-1, and then 4-2 in the 5-minute overtime that followed. What I also remember from the “highlight” package was the Sabres pouring off the bench to congratulate Hasek and each other — at the end of regulation. They still had a frakkin’ overtime to play! But it didn’t matter.

Ask a Carolina fan of that vintage what they think of the “Bettman point” rule.
    ***

Btw, I have seen games like the one you describe, but in soccer. A group game where both teams needed one point to advance. It almost got to the point where they each had 11 guys on their own half of the field. Possibly the worst sporting event I’ve ever seen.

38. bookie says:

Sam, just for fun post your questions here. Try these:

1. Is MacT the best coach ever?
    2. Is Horcoff a #1 center?
    3. Is Penner a #1 winger?
    4. Is Penner fat?
    5. Is Robbie Schemps being held down by a vast Right Wing conspiracy.
    6. Is Lowe, MacT, or Moreau to blame for everything?
    7. What are the lines for tonights game?
    8. How good is JDD in net?

Anyone think of any other pertinent topics?

Quibble mode ON:

The Sharks are really not an extension of the Oakland Seals(-Cleveland Barons-merge with the Minnesota North Stars-Dallas Stars). The Dallas Stars are.

The Gunds were owners of the Barons and the merged Northstars, but they sold that franchise to Dallas, and got a new expansion franchise in San Jose.

40. Sam says:

Tell you what I’ll do, I’ll just post the questions here, and grab whoever’s answers by tonight. They were:

It’s been another glass-chew of a season up in Northern Alberta, what’s been the biggest theme of your season?

Why did Erik Cole not work out, and what will Patrick O’Sullivan and Ales Kotalik bring that he didn’t?

Craig MacTavish has, at times, heard it from the Oil faithful. As he made missteps? Is he going to survive to coach next fall?

Ales Hemsky has cooled off, with only 7 points in his last 12? What’s up?

You guys have the original Dustin Byfuglien in Dustin Penner. What weapons are you thinking about using on his face?

Has Sam Gagner taken a step back this year? What about Cogliano?

Bottom Line: You guys making the playoffs?

41. Bruce says:

Sam: Why don’t you post your email and I will write to you. Perhaps others will as well.

42. rickibear says:

Hbomb:

Boston would be in the east.

Playoffs would be 20 teams.

1. first three from each conference
    2. Last 8 determined by deviding confrence point total by 2 to get a 2gm/team schedule point total.
    3. last eigth play three game series 1-2. Lower team getting first game.
    4. round of 16 games emphasis on in conference.
    5. Round of 8 games emphasis on conference to conference. (West-Central) and (East-europe)
    6. Final four seeded by record.
    7. all round 16 series on 3-3-1.

43. Sam says:

Anyone who wishes to answer these questions for the Hawks program should send answers to committedindian@gmail.com

44. Bruce says:

All in all, the three point system makes a very limited difference.

Bookie: Thanks for that. Bear in mind the extrapolation from one system to the other is flawed in that the games would not have played out in the same manner if team had more incentive to win in regulation. That said, I agree it would probably make limited difference on the order of the standings since all teams are dipping into the same pot of “free lunch” points.

However, it would make a very positive difference on how the game is played IMO. Teams that are currently content to wait for OT would play more aggressively if the guarantee of a point by making it to OT was offset by the guaranteed loss of a point by not winning in regulation.

45. mc79hockey says:

San Jose was stocked in part through a draft of North Stars players.

46. relic says:

a team in vegas eh?

so you use historical hockey market as part of the criteria for european countries but not north american?

you’re not affiliated in some way with the little dictator are you? because that sounds like the type of reasoning I’ve seen before.

47. bookie says:

Very good point!

48. Coach pb9617 says:

The creativity and intelligence I run into on a daily basis here…has inspired me to write. It’s not on par with what others are doing, but I thought I’d give her a go. Moreau stinks? is my first try.

49. Bruce says:

Sam, here’s my take:

Two steps forward, two back. The Oilers have been hovering around 8th in the conference all year, typically winning a couple when they are in danger of falling back but losing a couple any time they have a chance to create a little space. Dwayne Roloson has turned back the clock with a team-MVP performance at age 39. Sheldon Souray has been a key contributor to the offence with 20 goals from the blueline. The young players are suffering growing pains, with nobody clearly making “the next step”. The organization’s failure to address a critical hole at third line centre after veterans Jarret Stoll and Marty Reasoner moved on has had many tearing their hair out. Their absence is particularly noticeable on a penalty-kill unit — normally a strength of a MacTavish team — which has had a horrible season. There are also depth questions on the blueline and between the pipes.

Cole played hard and made lots of things happen, including a lot of powerplays that resulted from penalties that he drew. Unfortunately he didn’t really click with anybody and was mired in a season-long scoring drought. With his impending UFA status Oilers got a good return in O’Sullivan, a younger sniper who has two years to run on his pact. Kotalik was brought in to click with Hemsky but has drawn blanks so far, other than a key shootout “goal” in the last game.

MacTavish has made many mis-steps which have been analyzed ad nauseam in the Oilogosphere. People have questioned his deployment of goaltenders both before and after the Mathieu Garon trade, his reliance on veterans like Jason Strudwick and Ethan Moreau, and out-of-position experiments such as Fernando Pisani at centre and Erik Cole and even Ladi Smid at left wing.

Ales Hemsky has cooled off, with only 7 points in his last 12? What’s up?

Make that 6 points in his last 13. Hemsky missed 10 games with concussion after a Jordin Tootoo hit around New Year’s, and after shining shortly after his return, has absorbed some further punishment (including a crunching hit from Dustin Byfuglien on Feb 3) and seen his game go south. The Oilers powerplay has tanked right along with him. Health questions persist, but answers are in short supply.

Penner is a frustrating player who on his best days seems to bring less effort and passion than many — including Craig MacTavish — would like to see. He is nonetheless an effective player who is quietly excellent away from the puck; the Oilers outscore and outshoot the opposition by a wider margin with Penner on the ice than any other forward.

Has Sam Gagner taken a step back this year? What about Cogliano?

Fairer to say neither has taken the next big step forward. Gagner has been given greater two-way responsibilities by MacT throughout the season, and while his scoring has fallen off a cliff until recently (4-4-8, +5 in his last 7 GP), he’s made progress in other areas. Cogliano’s production is closer to last year’s levels, mostly playing with less talented linemates than last year’s Kid Line. He has struggled badly in the faceoff circle and may be miscast in a checking line role.

Bottom Line: You guys making the playoffs?

As usual in northern Alberta, it’s going right down to the last week. The loss for the season of Oilers’ highest-paid player and best defenceman Lubomir Visnovsky in the last Hawks game has been a serious blow that has clearly affected the flow of play in the wrong direction and forced a greater reliance on Roloson, whose focus and endurance has held up remarkably well to this point. While the Oilers have lots of depth up front, any further injury on the back end might be a death blow to playoff hopes.

Bruce (Oil Droppings)
    *****

50. more green says:

Yeah but what weapon would you use on his face??

//San Jose was stocked in part through a draft of North Stars players.//

You are mistaken.

San Jose was an expansion franchise, stocked from a league wide expansion draft.

The North Stars went to Dallas.

The only connection to the Oakland Seals is via the owners. The merged Seals-North Star franchise is in Dallas.

52. Quinn says:

On a completely unrelated note, here is a cool video of an underwater volcano off the coast of Tonga.

I fully expect a regular time loss by 2 goals to the Avalanche tonight. This is a ‘winnable’ game that could move the team up, so I expect a flat performance (but maybe I am just in a bad mood).

53. Icecastles says:

Tyler said: Wait until you see what Chicago wears!

I laughed so hard milk came out of my nose.

I would also like to point out the racist Senators logo. It’s offensive to Roman Centurions, who according to history, were defined by a winning record and previously unheard-of team unity.

54. Mr DeBakey says:

The North Stars went to Dallas

From Wikipedia:
    “Eventually the league struck a compromise: the Gunds would sell their share of the North Stars to Baldwin’s group, with the Gunds receiving an expansion team in the Bay Area to begin play in the 1991–92 season and being allowed to take a certain number of players from the North Stars to their new club.
    In return, the North Stars would be allowed to participate as an equal partner in an expansion draft with the new Bay Area team.”

These guys played for the North Stars one year and the Sharks the next:
    Brian Hayward, Don Barber, Jarmo Myllys, Mike McHugh, Neil Wilkinson, Pat MacLeod, Perry Berezan, Rob Zettler

The Sharks started playing in 91-92.
    The North Stars moved to Dallas for the 93-94 season.

55. anonymous says:

Giving out 2 points to in some cities and 3 in others makes the strech run into a joke. Rewarding teams that play for overtime from the opening faceoff is dumb. Equally laughable is the governor’s theory that 3 pts for a win would make races less tight.

On any given day any system is likely to be about the same terms of how many wins separate teams on the bubble. E.g last night the tightest and least tight systems happened to be 3 point systems:

I. 3 points for winner in regulation/overtime. 2/1 Split in SO.
    8. Edmonton 98
    12. St. Louis 97

II. 2 points for winner in Reg/OT/SO
    8. Edmonton 66
    12. St. Louis 64

III. current system
    8. Edmonton 75
    12. Anaheim 72

IV. 3 points for winner in regulation. 2/1 split in OT/SO.
    8. Nashville 102
    12. Anaheim 96

56. doritogrande says:

Yeah but what weapon would you use on his face??

Botox.

Wait until you see what Chicago wears!

I seem to remember a team in baseball with an unusually clever nickname. The Cleveland Racists.

57. anonymous says:

As a ticket holder I’d like to see the all the points on the line until the end of overtime, but only one point on the line for the shootout.

If the govs are hung up on 3 pts then do a 1.5/.5 split for the SO. The 2 and 3 pt variations were pretty much the same last night:

8. Edmonton 65.5
    12. St. Louis 64.5

8. Edmonton 98
    12. St. Louis 97

Raw numbers:

Team GP W L RTW OTW SOW SOL OTL RTL
    Nashville 71 35 30 26 5 4 3 3 30
    Edmonton 69 33 27 27 1 5 4 5 27
    Minnesota 70 33 29 25 3 5 3 5 29
    Dallas 71 33 30 24 4 5 4 4 30
    St. Louis 70 32 29 23 4 5 6 3 29
    Anaheim 70 33 31 25 5 3 2 4 31

58. hunter1909 says:

London UK I’ve been told in the 1940′s used to regularly draw 8,000 people for a hockey game.

Considering it’s one of the world’s richest/leading cities hands down, were the populace ever sold a real hockey product, one could imagine it being able to handle an NHL franchise without breaking sweat. At present it’s got the soccer equivalent of about 5 NFL football teams, all playing inside the city limits.

59. rickibear says:

Relic: using the criteria i did in europe, youwill see there are no other viable markets in noryh america. Houston is a large metro center. But has NBA, same with Cleveland, and Milwakee.

Plus to have any kind of common sense league and playoff structure
    you have to go with 24NA-8Europe or 27NA-9European.

As for the point system:
    allways a fan of 4 points for regualar win, 3 for OT win, 2 point for SOW or SOL, 1 for OT Loss, and 0 loss.

3 minutes 4×4 OT and 2 minutes 3×3 then the shoot out.

It adopts a 2-1-0 formula and allows for a better comparison to the past.

60. rickibear says:

Plus a 4-3-2-2-1-0 that has an overtime that forces the chance of a 3pt to 1Pt result will make teams go for a reg time win. to much potential for a 1PT after regulation.

61. rickibear says:

Hunter: Only London and Paris ahead of Moscow. Debated whether the ex-pat pop would justify a team.

I am not at the level of a market research company. So left them out.

I am more right than wrong.

The North Stars were able to protect the 16 best players on the North Stars roster, and the expansion Sharks were able to select the next 16.

i.e. The Dallas Stars clearly more accurately represent the endpoint of the Oakland Seals than the San Jose Sharks.

63. anonymous says:

Great. If Germany ever starts bombing London again we can send Canadian soldiers to all of those games again.

64. Mr DeBakey says:

Dream to see:
    36 Team league w/ 4 conferences.

- The missing team in the Eastern Division is Boston

- 86 games? Ahhh, maaan.

- “Swiss 2005-06 regular season champion SC Bern has set a new all-time attendance record for a club team in Europe. The club from the Swiss capital recorded an average of 15.994 fans in 22 home games”

- a few years back Forbes did a study of US cities to determine which had enough “spare cash” to support franchises in the pro sports leagues.
    I don’t have the results in front of me [only a bottle]. But KC did not have enough money to support another pro team, I believe they were already running a deficit.
    The best market [money + geography/history] was Hartford. Other good ones included Portland, Seattle [with the Sonics removed], Grand Rapids….
    It was interesting that by this metric Madison Wi was a better spot for an NHL franchise than Milwaukee. Also, if I recall, Dayton Oh was a better option than Cleveland.
    Houston, like KC, was out of pro sports money.

65. hunter1909 says:

anonymous: The data was for the LATE 1940′s, after the war.

Shucks. The cynicism in here you could butter bread with sometimes.

66. hunter1909 says:

Considering the western world is standing on the brink of the Great Depression 2.0, I wouldn’t exactly want to be forecasting new NHL franchises being born in a traditionally hostile market(USA).

I can really see a billionaire, faced with a crumbling empire and losing hundreds and thousands of dollars per hour hoping to recoup it by buying a franchise of over the hill losers and rookies to sell to an apathetic local audience.

Hockey is oversaturated. But I hate to be the bearer of bad news, so…

lmao

67. RiversQ says:

I’m a little shocked at all the anti-Atlanta talk. It is a city of 4MM people with a lot of corporate head offices and a heap of ex-pats from hockey markets. Also they did support the team quite well for the 1-2 years they were actually competitive.

It seems to me there must be 4-6 NHL cities in worse position than Atlanta and I really doubt KC compares.

68. bookie says:

THe problem in the NHL right now is not that there is not enough interest, but rather that it is just reaching the end of a ‘salary bubble’. Hockey, like 4th bathrooms with marble tiles, is an expensive luxery. The North American economy was able to support such extravigant things like season tickets and marble tiles because consumers were ramping up debt to look rich. Well, guess what, the price of marble tiles is dropping as demand drops. The price of attending NHL games has to drop as well.

I am not saying nobody deserves $10 million a year to play on an NHL team. I am saying that the market will no longer support that level of pay.

So, in a free market system (which is not the case here) the team can either expand with lower salaries or it can shrink to those cities with very high demand and have even higher salaries.

With the cap tied to league revenues, teams with high market demand should be really profitable. Teams at the bottom should be able to survive. If we want more teams, we need to lower the cap without lowering the demand.

It is worth noting that many of the American teams have a supply side ‘leg up’ on Canadian franchises. They tend to get better deals from the city’s and states than our teams do. This though is tied to American’s treating professional sports as a (somewhat) public good. This helps to balance out the competativeness as areas with lower demand for NHL sports tend to be subsidized to a greater level.

Anyway, I am rambling. There is also room for financial transfers between teams to keep things viable (is this still happening in the NHL?).

69. striatic says:

For those speculating about a Seattle NHL franchise, I can tell you now that this will probably never happen.

The city has a lot of Canadian ex-pats who seem to be reviled by much of the local population, particularly sports fans. Whenever there’s talk of bringing an NHL team here, Canadian bashing ensues on the local sports forums.

I’ve been to a bunch of Seattle Thunderbirds games at Key Arena, and attendance was very sparse despite hockey being the only sport in town. It’s a horrible venue for hockey that apparently wasn’t very good for basketball either.

They’ve recently moved the T-Birds out to the suburbs and into a much smaller arena. I’ve only been to one game there so far but the house was packed [about 6,000]. So perhaps with an appropriate venue and no basketball, it might just work.

Unfortunately the city is experiencing hard times and building a new area is out of the question. Even if it was, I’d imagine a basketball team would be the desired tenant, not an NHL team.

As a Canadian in Seattle I really hope I’m wrong, but it would take a miracle for an NHL market to come to this market. It’d be awesome though, I could see the rivalry with Vancouver being epic.

70. bookie says:

I think the league should start giving teams 3 points for a win, but that they should phase it in at a rate of one team per year starting with the Northernmost team…

71. Coach pb9617 says:

RQ – Atlanta has always had attendance troubles in all four sports. The Braves couldn’t sell out playoff games while winning 137 straight division championships. The Falcons have never been a draw. The Hawks haven’t had strong attendance numbers since the days of Nique.

Atlanta is well-regarded as a laughingstock amongst professional sports cities and fan interest. College football on the other hand…

72. Ender says:

Sorry, I think I’m missing something. Is “NFL football team” supposed to mean something here? I mean, couldn’t you just say “they have 5 soccer teams all playing inside the city limits” or possibly “they have 5 football teams all playing inside the city limits”?

I ask genuinely. I’m not sure what NFL is supposed to add there.

73. CrazyCoach says:

I doubt the NHL will expand at any time soon. The owners have made their money and have the upper hand in terms of the revenue sharing that currently exists. The only way the NHL expands now is if the league raises the entry fees, Peter Pockinglington returns, and Bill Wirtz rises from the dead.

74. Dennis says:

I’d really like a clear explanation why 85 is playing over 78?

The sidebars for me tonight are:

- can we score a PPG for the second game in a row?

- can we stop our string of allowing at least one PK goal a game?

- the Oilers haven’t allowed a 5-on-5 goal since the 13:36 mark of the first period last Thurs vs Atl. How long will that string last?

75. Bruce says:

Rickibear: Thought-provoking as usual. I don’t mind the idea of a global league, but I say deep six three more N.A. teams and go with four, 8-team divisions.

[speculation mode: on] A nice binary 32 teams would be a boon to the schedule maker whose difficult job would get worse with a European contingent. Make 4 game road trips the norm, send a cluster of 4 teams from one division to Europe at the same time to play the same 4 Euro clubs in rotation, that sort of thing.

Much as I have advocated a return to home-and-away every year for every team, that is a pipe dream in this circuit. It’s hard to imagine any European interest allowing its team to play 24 games on another continent. A good compromise would be assurance to play every team at least once a year, and host every team at least every other year. None of this Bull Shit that Gary Bettman allowed in recent years, such as no games all season between Eastern and Western Canadian teams as happened in 2007-08, or no regular season game between the Stanley Cup finalists, as happened in 2006, 2007 and 2008. Keep the entire League in competition, and contact, with each other. (You fools!)

But like baseball or American football, divisional play would become of paramount importance. Think of it as 4 “house leagues”, with some interlocking play. At one extreme it could be an 80-game schedule with 8 games against each divisional rival and 1 game against the rest of the league. Interesting potential for intense, almost Original Six-level rivalries with a sprinkling of variety.

The key would be that divisional standings would have to mean something, unlike now where the context of in-divisional play gets lost in a conference-based playoff structure. Lots of possibilities, and fewer compromises required with 4 divisions rather than 6. Maybe another day … [speculation mode: off]

76. Coach pb9617 says:

I’d really like a clear explanation why 85 is playing over 78?

Bunny slippers, Dennis, bunny slippers.

77. mc79hockey says:

Per Wikipedia:

Eventually the league struck a compromise: the Gunds would sell their share of the North Stars to Baldwin’s group, with the Gunds receiving an expansion team in the Bay Area to begin play in the 1991–92 season and being allowed to take a certain number of players from the North Stars to their new club.[2] In return, the North Stars would be allowed to participate as an equal partner in an expansion draft with the new Bay Area team.

78. doritogrande says:

I’d really like a clear explanation why 85 is playing over 78?

Pick one Dennis:

- MacT hates Pouliot, loves Reddox

- Pouliot ran over MacT’s dog again

- MacT likes 4th rounders much more than he does 1st’s

- MacT has a fetish for the gingerkids.

- Pouliot=French, Reddox=Not French

- MacT: “We’ve got enough size tonight, so we can play a 5’9″ checker.”

- MacT: “Pouliot has no natural position.”

- MacT: “Moreau won’t take any dumb penalties tonight, so we don’t need Pouliot to kill any penalties.”

- Shawn Horcoff is not a first line C.

79. Coach pb9617 says:

Dennis, Pouliot should be in there, especially looking at some stuff like this

80. HBomb says:

RiversQ: Agreed on Atlanta. That’s a major market the NHL should want to avoid losing at all cost.

I’d say that the Islanders, Tampa, Carolina, Nashville, Phoenix…these would all be in worse shape. Heck, maybe even one of the LA-area teams.

81. Mr DeBakey says:

I’d say that the Islanders, Tampa, Carolina, Nashville, Phoenix…

Atlanta has an ownership problem that needs to be solved.
    I still think its an iffy spot long-term.

The Little Dictator was on Long Island for a game a couple of weeks back.
    The Versus boys stuck a mic in his face; he said no way the Islanders sign another lease at the Nassau County Garbage Dump & Ice Hockey Emporium.
    Mr Wang totally needs an upgraded building

82. Black Gold says:

good stuff doritogrande

83. doritogrande says:

No Stastny tonight? 3rd Defensive tandem that I’ve never heard of? Petr Budaj?

Gotta have this one.

84. doritogrande says:

Since when has 51.4% been considered “nearly automatic”.

Last I checked, 51.4% was “about 50/50″.

85. Bruce says:

Time to treat these bums like the bottom feeders they are. GOILERS!

86. B.C.B. says:

bookie: there is no reason to compare hockey players to marble tile. One is a commodity and the other is not. Look at the actions of the AIG in the economic crisis. The owners are guaranteed that the players only get 56% of hockey related income, hence escrow payments. Personally I rather see the players get the money I spend on hockey then the owners: since it is the players I want to watch, not the owners,

87. Bruce says:

B.C.B./Bookie: I believe the point was that the consumers may treat hockey like marble tile. It’s discretionary spending, and could be one of the first things to go in a belt-tightening exercise. That probably applies double to corporate interests.

88. Bruce says:

The Oilers are 2-1-2 against the Avalanche, and the Avalanche are 3-2-0 against the Oilers. Both teams are winning the season series.

Only in Gary Bettman’s NHL.

89. doritogrande says:

Maybe that’s why I haven’t heard of Colorado’s 3rd pair. They have all of 2 games NHL experience between them.

90. Kent W. says:

Nycholat is playing with Clark? And Budaj’s in net? Yikes.

The Oilers should probably win tonight.

91. doritogrande says:

Ethan Moreau, better with the visor?

Signs point to yes. 1-0 Edmonton.

92. oilerdago says:

Moreau? A sign of the end times?

93. Scott says:

That was actually a really impressive shift and a nice play by Penner on the wall to keep the puck in at the line. A couple of different chances of their cycle before the goal too.

Oilers!

94. Phil says:

Penner on for another EV goal for – that beautiful fat bastard.

95. doritogrande says:

Yeah, that’s probably a good call. It’s fucking hard to snap a wooden stick, eh Smytty?

96. Bruce says:

Jesus Hockey Christ, I hate that penalty. Two minutes cuz the other guy’s composite is a piece of shit.

97. doritogrande says:

Bruce:

It was Smyth’s stick. That bugger’s all plant material, unless he’s made the switch in Colorado.

98. Phil says:

Moreau? A sign of the end times?

That, and they killed a penalty. Definitely Book of Revelations stuff.

99. Bruce says:

Seems like that’s the first time in awhile we’ve killed off the first penalty.

100. doritogrande says:

That, and they killed a penalty. Definitely Book of Revelations stuff.

And it wasn’t Moreau in the box.

Where’s my damn rosary?!

101. Bruce says:

Whatever, it snapped like a frakkin’ toothpick.

102. oilerdago says:

That was sad.

103. Jonathan Willis says:

Ugly goal against for Roli there.

104. Scott says:

That’s a whole lot of yikes from Roloson so that should mean we’re guaranteed a few difficult saves later in the game (or at least, it seems that’s been Roli’s game the last few).

105. Bruce says:

Goddamit that is one motherf@#$ing ugly goal.

Can you believe they gave not one but TWO assists on that goal? The only guys to touch the puck were Horcoff and McLeod.

106. doritogrande says:

Well we all knew the ugly goal was coming. Better they got it out of the way already.

107. Quinn says:

@ jon k

Thanks for the feed

108. Bruce says:

Isn’t that the same bloody thing against Hemsky there?

109. doritogrande says:

….I gotta go to church and confess some sins before we’re all smoten.

110. Ian says:

Scorecoff.

111. oilerdago says:

DG – you must be working that rosary, now Horcoff scores!

SCORECOFF!!!

112. Quinn says:

Hoorah for Hooorcooofffff

113. Scott says:

Shawn Horcoff will be promoted to the #1 PP unit over Penner. We need to reward his success.

114. Jonathan Willis says:

Whiffcoff!

And let the flood gates be opened (please).

115. Bruce says:

I’ve figured it out. Two minutes for being on the team that scored.

That is an incredibibly weak call on Smid.

116. oilerdago says:

OK, is Mark Joanette reffing this game?

117. Coach pb9617 says:

Apparently, Linda Lovelace is the color commentator for the Avs.

118. doritogrande says:

Jeff Deslauriers in net for the Oilers.

119. doritogrande says:

Ka-fucking-boom.

How can Chara shoot faster than that?

120. Jonathan Willis says:

I’ve got to confess that I like it when Souray shoots the puck.

121. Phil says:

Um, that PK looked pretty good. WTF, over?

122. Bruce says:

Good vision by Patio there to make the short back pass to Horc … oh, and a lovely move to deke Lappy in our end.

123. Quinn says:

I am worried – the PK seemed to work more like what other teams do – no goal allowed?!?

124. doritogrande says:

I’ve got to confess that I like it when Souray shoots the puck.

It’s fast becoming a guilty pleasure. Like watching Hasek flop, or Cory Cross getting pylon’d.

125. oilerdago says:

//I think we’re going to be safe from the wrath of God above tonight. We’re never going to see the last sign of the Apocalypse tonight.

Jeff Deslauriers in net for the Oilers.//

Or Smid scores?

126. Scott says:

Wrath? The Oilers are Yahweh’s chosen team!

127. PunjabiOil says:

Only in Gary Bettman’s NHL.

Before anyone else says it:

It’s quite sad, actually.

128. Bruce says:

PJO: I left that out there just for you.

129. doritogrande says:

Wrath? The Oilers are Yahweh’s chosen team!

And Lucifer is the bringer of light. Next question.

130. Scott says:

And Lucifer is the bringer of light. Next question.

I’m not nearly as familiar with Dante as the Bible so I’ll need to trust you on this one.

131. knighttown says:

Long day at work and I find out there are two topics I’d love to get involved in being discussed:

1. The loser point. There is no logical reason that any person could argue the current system is fair. People get distracted debating whether a 3 point system is better than a no points for a loss system but we are all falling for the misdirection GMs and Bettman want us to miss.

This system is in place to provide hope. A team like Anaheim appears to be right in it, only 3 points out with a dozen games remaining. “Two game winning streak and we’re in 8th the GM will say.” People will buy tickets for the playoff drive hoping all the way to the box office.

However, if you look closer you’ll realize they’ve got to pass 4 teams on their way to 8th and even a winning streak of 3 or 4 games won’t close that gap because some team will go win-OT Win-OT loss-Win and bam, they’re still in 10th. That run the Oilers had last year showed me that if you’re a half dozen points out at the All-Star break the chances of making the playoffs approach zero. LA took a run and faded. St. Louis did. Nashville may be now. And this is in a year when the loser points only just started warming up. The rest of the way will have (as Bruce has mentioned) an astonishing number of three point games and if you fall past 10th its hard to get back up.

I’d imagine there is a strict gag order on teams to never mention the inherent unfairness in the current system since the system is an obvious ploy to boost revenue on the backs of false hope.

2) Rickibear How does Halifax show on your survey. Or, should I say, how does a Maritime team based in Halifax that would draw fans from Moncton primarily, but also Charlottetown, Sydney, St. John and Fredericton too. Closest professional sports team is Boston, non-slumping economy, Mooseheads/Moncton Wildcats have huge support for major junior.

I think it’s overlooked as a market but if the economy of hockey was to shrink a little, it could be a great market.

132. Jonathan Willis says:

“All three of the young guys out for the Avs.”

Out for the Oilers: Moreau – Cogliano – Reddox.

133. doritogrande says:

Scott:

Lucifer, the first of the Archangels is given as the “light-bringer or -bearer”. Oddly enough, a “lucifer” is also some type of british lighter, as explained by the clever sentence he always carries matches to light his pipe”; “as long you’ve a lucifer to light your fag”.

Insert your own religious foreshadowing there.

134. Coach pb9617 says:

Why in the hell is Kotalik back at forward on the power play?

And why has Zach Stortini started in the defensive zone 25 more times than the offensive zone this year?

135. oilerdago says:

Well, things must be coming back down to earth. That PP at the end of the period was much more like it (sarcasm).

The Second Coming is not going to be this evening any way.

(but I would settle for 2 points)

136. Bruce says:

Coach: Zack Who?

137. Derek says:

Coach: Penner, O’sullivan and Horcoff had just finished a long shift so I think he was just given a quick look at the end of the period, rather than being handed the job back for good. Or atleast thats what I hope.

138. doritogrande says:

Why in the hell is Kotalik back at forward on the power play?

To answer both your questions, in 4 letters or less,

MacT

139. Phil says:

Pretty good period – they had more extended forechecking going in one period than they usually get in a whole game.

Really, the only real negative that period was Hemmer. He may not have any more concussion-like symptoms, but he still hasn’t recovered. Giveaways, offsides, no jump.

140. jon k says:

I’m remembering an interview quotation that Horcoff gave off a week or two ago regarding the powerplay.

Someone (Gregor?) was asking Horcoff why the PP was shying away from a presence in the slot, especially since Penner was pulled from it way back when.

Horcoff’s response was somewhat frank in saying that the PP does what MacT says, and that largely what we see is what we get with the PP being coached by MacT.

Some points to gleam from it:

1) There likely is some substantial truth to the idea that a MacT team cannot excel on the PP. There’s only one year that is an outlier to this, and that was the year of the Pronger.

2) Is Horcoff possibly the player who spoke out against MacT? I’d agree that Horcoff has always been a fairly outspoken guy who wasn’t afraid of stepping on toes if it suited him. Given how he’s the coach’s pet, he’d also be the least suspected when the leak got back to the coach.

141. Coach pb9617 says:

Why are Penner, O’Sullivan and Horcoff out together now?

What the hell is going on out there?

142. pboy says:

Good road period but they need to continue it for 40 more minutes. I can’t remember the last time this team played well for an entire game. Although I’m over Steady Steve and his “ring it off the boards and not out” that he has perfected.

I watched Hitler/Canucks and that might be my new favorite youtube clip.

143. quain says:

Hemsky changed before the other two, that’s about it.

144. Schitzo says:

He and Brodziak are BFF, and so if you want to send out Brodziak for an own-zone draw you have to send out Stortini too, or 51 pouts for days.

145. pboy says:

Why are Penner, O’Sullivan and Horcoff out together now?

What the hell is going on out there?

Hemsky started the shift with Horc and O’Sullivan but Hemsky was the first to change up. Penner came over the boards but the puck stayed in Colorado’s end and eventually the Oilers drew a penalty. At least that’s how I remembered it….

146. Dennis says:

I had the chances at 9-5; 5-4 EV and 4-1 ST.

The Oilers had a pretty nice period and they were using at least five forwards on their PK – not sure if 19 made it out there on the 2nd PK but we did use 85 both times as the 5th PKer.

Really nice period from 44. He did throw one puck off the boards absentmindedly but other than that, really solid work at both ends.

BTW, as Jason Smith was to needless icings, so is 83 to needless offsides. How many times does he trigger an offside by touching the puck just inside the blue while even guys watching on TV can hear the officials roaring at him?

It’s uncanny/dumb.

147. Jonathan Willis says:

DG: Based on the context of Isa 14:12, I’d always interpreted it to mean that Lucifer referred to kings of the Babylonian dynasty, specifically Nebuchadnezzar.

148. Jonathan Willis says:

Especially the sequence where 94 took the penalty; Souray outmuscled him and got the puck up to the other end of the ice before the whistle.

149. Coach pb9617 says:

Coach: Zack Who?

Hairy guy, sitting in the press box next to Marc Pouliot so that Malachai from Children Of The Corn can play.

Why in the hell is Pouliot benched?

150. Black Dog says:

jon k – and that year the PP still wasn’t good enough, cost them the Cup imo

pboy – check out Bananarama – that shit is gold, can’t beat it

rickibear – man, if I were king – be 24 teams or less; oh well I know Scott disagrees with me on that, you and I too I guess ;)

Lets go you Oilers!

151. oilerdago says:

You know, I think Hemsky’s drought started when he shaved his head.

Hemsky = Samson

Who knew?

152. Black Dog says:

coachpb

a) he’s not a true first line centre

b) he’s too fat

c) he’s lost the room

??

153. Coach pb9617 says:

Penner wins faceoff to start the powerplay. Nice player, that Penner.

154. doritogrande says:

Coach pb:

See my previous 10 or so reasons outlined for Dennis earlier.

155. Scott says:

Oddly enough, a “lucifer” is also some type of british lighter

This, I did not know. That’s neat. The Lucifer tradition overall is pretty interesting because it has roots in both early Jewish and early Christian texts. The King James Bible incorporates the tradition into its translation and then Milton and Dante popularize it further. Then in the New Testament you have other texts using the same metaphor for Jesus. It’s just a crazy tradition all in all.

As for the Oilers, that was a great period. The PK looks good which is the first time in a long time for that.

156. Bruce says:

Phil: Three times in the first I said to my wife: “… and the play dies with Hemsky.”

Not a good sign.

157. oilerdago says:

Nice glove their by Roli. He’s looked solid tonite – although he’s not really been tested too often.

158. Scott says:

This is true. However, by the time of the church fathers (like Origen) you have people identifying that passage as referencing a celestial being that they then identify with the fall of Satan thereby equating the two.

I am Alpha and Omega, the beginning and the ending, saith the Lord.

O lord, what sayeth you about the Oilers PK?

160. Coach pb9617 says:

Oh man, you don’t want to read his facebook status when that happens.

- MacT: “Pouliot has no natural position.”

That’s my favorite.

161. Bruce says:

Pouliot’s natural position is Up Shit Creek.

162. Quinn says:

Real Biblical theme going on in this thread, Hemsky=Samson, Lucifer and Isaiah. I feel like I’m back in college.

Interesting game too

163. Quinn says:

LT,
    I believe generally the Lord saith of the PK, I smite thee! And he smote it verily and its remains stinketh.

Pisani smote stack!

165. doritogrande says:

And we have a new reason why Reddox is playing over Pouliot.

166. bookie says:

about Marble Tiles and Hockey Players.

One is a commodity and the other is not.

In fact, in a market system basically both are commodities. The NHL is not exactly a free market due to all kinds of things, but once you add in international leagues essentially there are only so many elite players and so many people willing to pay them. If Russia gets rich and they ‘demand’ the players (by being willing to pay), the players will migrate there – the same way that marble tiles get shipped to places that are willing to pay for them.

The only time labour is not really a commodity is when we discuss issues such as human rights, etc… but these guys are not really starving, so they are pretty much a commodity.

I did mention that I had no problem with players making what they did if there is a market for it and they are rare they deserve it. There are many people as talented as NHL players (i.e. the best pole vaulters or the best Jai Li players) but there is not the same market for them…commodities!

167. oilerdago says:

Gagner!

Amen!

173. gary b says:

1st and 2nd Samuel!!

174. Mustafa Hirji says:

Kotalik got a point!

Twice in the last couple of minutes the LD made an errant pass from the same area of the ice.

And the Oilers scored 2 goals in the same basic time frame. Crazy damn game, this hockey.

176. Quinn says:

How many points is that for Gagner lately? Geez

177. doritogrande says:

Ethan Moreau you lazy ass.

That was the worst icing call I’ve seen this year.

178. danny says:

hahahaha

did anyone see Gags still doing fist pumps on the bench?

Run from anything that stimulates youthful lust. Follow anything that makes you want to do right. Pursue faith and love and peace, and enjoy the companionship of those who call on the Lord with pure hearts.

Find more bible!

180. Black Gold says:

ten in the last eight for sammy i believe

181. bookie says:

Anyone else notice that despite the line having a good game, there has been about 6 times where Penner has been about 2 strides from the puck, but he has not bothered to make them?

I am beginning to wonder if Penner’s good stats are the result of “Holy crap, we have Penner on our line tonight, we are going to have to work twice as hard in the O-zone to have any hope”

182. Quinn says:

bookie

It’s a lovely game and bible study going on here. Let’s not start a bar room fight over Penner again.

183. Scott says:

Since it seems to fit the theme, here is Psalm 107:1-9 for tonight’s game:

Let us give thanks to Yahweh, for he is good.
    His favour on us will never end.

Let us who will be redeemed tonight shout to Yahweh with joy:
    He will let us prevail over the sticks of the Avalanche.

Let us who are scattered be happy together,
    whether in Toronto, Vancouver, Newfoundland or Germany.

Though the Oilers may wander through desert wastelands,
    unable to impose a style of play;

Though the Oilers may hunger for victories grand,
    some careers are trickling away.

So they will cry out to Yahweh,
    and he will deliver them from distress.

He will lead them on the straight path,
    to the playoffs, to find success.

So, let us give thanks to Yahweh, for he is good.
    He will let us prevail over the sticks of the Avalanche.

184. bookie says:

I say the Oilers should give Roli a rest for the third period and give JDD some minutes.

I am not really serious. Not really.

185. Dave says:

please correct me if I’m wrong, but someone from every line has a goal. fernando, sammy, horcoff, and captain.

wtf is going on?

Yahweh (12) (Jesus of Nazareth-Doubting Thomas) 11:37

187. bookie says:

Nuff said – Penner would fit some of the seven deadly sins nicely though!

188. Coach pb9617 says:

Nilsson is starting to come on, but how much is riding the little guy’s tails? JW’s post about CORSI shows that 89-78-12 line was quite hot…

189. gary b says:

1 Samuel 2:26:

“And the boy Samuel continued to grow in stature and in favor with the LORD and with men.”

190. doritogrande says:

Sheldon Souray on the powerplay:

And he shall be like a tree planted by the rivers of water, that bringeth forth his fruit in his season; his leaf also shall not wither; and whatsoever he doeth shall prosper.

191. danny says:

I dont believe in god, but thanks for the shoutout down here on the rock. :)

192. Coach pb9617 says:

The Oilers “fourth” line has been their best tonight, but you’re seeing Penner bad?

I’m shocked.

193. Quinn says:

Psalm 22:4-8
    Our fathers trusted in thee: they trusted, and thou didst deliver them Stanley Cups.

5They cried unto thee, and were delivered: they trusted in thee, and were not confounded.

6But I am a worm, and no man; a reproach of men, and despised of the people.

7All they that see me laugh me to scorn: they shoot out the lip, they shake the head, saying,

How can you cheer for that Oilers team? But,

8He trusted on the LORD that he would deliver him: let him deliver him, seeing he delighted in him and a playoff round ensued.

194. oilerdago says:

Ps 46 v1-2

God is the Oilers refuge and strength. A very present help when we go to Chicago tomorrow night (especially if Roli has to play his 27th straight game).

Therefore, we will not fear.

195. Coach pb9617 says:

18-51-27 is the second line again tonight.

196. bookie says:

I’m not really a Penner basher (though I sure look like it tonight) and have actually been pretty supportive of him, but he does not dig for pucks like other players. If he could develop that part of his game he could be a real power forward.

My snide comments about his linemates working harder was meant more for humour, but Penner is a bit of an enigma for me.

197. rickibear says:

Reddox to Pisani

unlikeliest goal call in history

Does anyone know Pisani’s PPG/60 rank for 07-08. When horcoff went down he got alot of time on the pp playing right side boards.

Hint! Hint!

198. Quinn says:

You and MacT both, bookie.

I think he does not like to dig for pucks ’cause he subscribes to work smarter not harder (like me!).

I’ve seen him turn away from chasing pucks to the corner because he knew he could grab it on the dump out. But I agree, it LOOKS awful lazy.

199. oilerdago says:

Gagner 5 goals/5 assists in his last 8 games.

He’s picked the right time to get hot.

Newer Comments »