Oilers at Coyotes, G74/08-09

Stan Weir can divide by zero.

Stan Weir uses a night-light. Not because he’s afraid of the dark, but because darkness fears Stan Weir.

Stan Weir once challenged Lance Armstrong to a “Who has more testicles?” contest. Stan Weir won by 5.

Stan Weir can blow bubbles with beef jerky.

When Stan Weir picks his nose, he REALLY does find Gold.

Stan Weir let the dogs out.

Stan Weir puts the laughter in manslaughter.

Stan Weir puts the fun in funeral.

Stan Weir once played 18 holes of golf using a 12 inch strip of rebar and a sun dried tomato. He shot a 54.

Stan Weir can kill two stones with one bird.

Stan Weir once ate his entire birthday cake before his friends could tell him there was a stripper in it.

Ladies and Gentlemen–Stan Weir!

344 Responses to "Oilers at Coyotes, G74/08-09"

« Older Comments
  1. PunjabiOil says:

Tommorow’s game is important. A win and going 4-3 the rest of the way can be achieved.

A loss and it will come down to the Calgary Shames knocking us out of the playoffs for the 3rd time in 7 years.

2. DBO says:

LT: and I agree he has had an unbalanced team most of his tenure. i just can’t handle the inconsistent play, strange decisions and line combo’s. Just really frustrated.

3. Lord Bob says:

DBO: And we’re starting all over again. A lot of smart people are looking at this team’s record and forgetting just how many games MacT entered with fewer actual NHL players than the other guy.

And when he had NHL players he used them like he got in a car accident before each game.

Nobody’s complaining “waah! Sam Gagner is playing like he’s 19 years old!”

4. Bruce says:

This is embarrassing. This team needs to grow 20 pairs.

5. DBO says:

can’t handle it. Good luck lads.

Lord Bob: When he had the horses MacT had a beauty run. As for the Gagner comment, I have no idea what you mean.

The Edmonton Oilers do not seem to be good at the sport of Ice Hockey.

Was it wrong that I fist pumped at the Jets 2nd goal and giggled out loud at the 3rd?

There is systemic rot in the Oilers organization, but where the hell do you start to clean it up?

Employees of the organization that I would prefer had other employers next year:

Kevin Lowe
    Craig MacTavish
    Kelly Buchburger
    Billy Moores
    Ethan Moreau
    Steve Staios
    Ales Kotalik
    Robert Nilsson (maybe/probably)
    Sheldon Souray
    Jason Strudwick
    Tom Gilbert (trade value greater than player value/redundency with a superior Grebs)

On a happier note I picked up 3 cans of a Ukrainian beer named Obolon. Its fantastic. Great taste and finishes very, very clean.

Uses rice instead of barley. I usually don’t like rice beers, but this one is great.

8. Lord Bob says:

Lord Bob: When he had the horses MacT had a beauty run.

Fernando Pisani had a hot streak in the playoffs and was our best player, but that doesn’t mean that he’s always going to be our best player. Coaches can have good days and bad days like everyone else in sports.

And let’s not forget who had Ty Conklin sitting on the bench in Game One of the final because it was his turn or some bologna like that.

9. Bruce says:

For the love of the hockey gods, why is Dwayne Roloson still in net? We’re playing our 6th game in 9 nights in 6 different cities tomorrow night, it’s the biggest game of the year, and we need him to be sharp. So why the hell is he playing out the string in this abortion of a hockey game?

10. Chris says:

Personally I think Gagner chose to respond late in the season to my calling him out in the comments section. As this appears to have been more effective than MacT’s repeatedly calling out Dustin Penner perhaps the Oilers should let the comments section coach by committee. Its not like the lines would any more random.

11. Lucinius says:

If nothing else, I just wish the Oilers would learn to get the puck out of their zone consistantly instead of turning it over 3-5 times first.

12. Bruce says:

Sheldon is covered, Ales. Pass the goddam puck to somebody else.

Finally.

14. Lucinius says:

Bruce: But our powerplay -is- the point shot!

At least, that seems to be the only system in place..

15. gogliano says:

So if Kotalik scores that does ensure the goal is meaningless, i.e., we lose?

16. Lord Bob says:

WOO! THE COMEBACK IS ON! It’s like I always said, Craig MacTavish is a master of the coaching arts!

(Note: for want of better material, I am currently getting drunk off of mouthwash and aftershave.)

(If it becomes 4-1, I switch to antifreeze.)

17. PunjabiOil says:

PLUS a lack of balance. Every damn year.

I agree with your point that Kevin Lowe is a dummy, and Scott Howson is a gem, but that doesn’t doesn’t absolve MacT from his failures.

This is still a talented hockey club, and should be in the playoffs. The number of games this team has lost to conisderably inferior teams this year has more to do with preperation IMO, than being a young team.

There have been too many unneccesary foolish moves and gambles by MacT this year. It’s a reasonable conclusion, and supported with evidence that MacT should have extracted more from his team this year.

You’re a bright guy Lowetide, but I can’t agree with you on this.

Just can’t.

18. Matt N says:

Told the wife i was going to bed after this PP. Now I gotta watch.

19. Bruce says:

What do you know? Kotalik breaks the ice. And the game’s still out of reach.

Where’s that ether? It was around here just the other day. :-)

I’m not giving up on this game. No sir. Giving up on this game FEELS like giving up on the season.

It’s too early to give up on the season.

21. Lord Bob says:

Personally, I blame Shawn Horcoff and the Tim Hortons nearest to Dustin Penner’s house.

22. Icecastles says:

I don’t know, LT – a LOT of people, including the coach, thought this was the best Oilers team in years and that they could challenge for the division this year. Almost everyone on the team has played for the coach last year or is a proven vet who’s talent and potential contributions were well-understood.

So it’s pretty hard to swallow when we look back at the year that was and say we never had a good team to begin with. Too many sources, and not just Oilers fans, agreed that the team was capable of a lot. Individuals have off-years, but when 30+ guys turn in a bad season at the exact same time, there is a lot more going on than coincidence.

Furthermore, I think our frustrations are not with an underskilled or inexperienced team that tried as hard as they could. Our frustrations stem from nightmarishly bad decisions behind the bench, personal grudges seeping into how he plays the team, and most importantly, a team that for so many nights looked disinterested, defeated, or undisciplined. There were a lot of games where the boys just didn’t look like they showed up.

And when the coach has public spats with a player he dislikes, its one thing. When the star player and someone the coach has huge faith and respect in comes out as petulant and unhappy in the media, that is as clear a sign as you will find that the coach has lost the room, or given up on it, or both. Not every disintegrated team is going to implode as publicly as Montreal or Ottawa, especially when there is an old boys’ club at the top who have got each others’ backs.

I was the biggest MacT fan for years, but this year the warning signs are simply everywhere. He’s still a good coach, but absolutely wrong for this team and for this time. It may not be entirely his fault, but either way its his responsibility. If the buck doesn’t stop with the coach for a team that falls below expectations and is incohesive, where does it stop?

The only other solution is to accept mediocrity or hope for some sort of miracle player (or five) to sign here for peanuts and lift the team up. With Edmonton’s recent record and rep among players, the latter isn’t going to happen.

23. HBomb says:

Hold on a second here. Hemsky. One goal down, still nine minutes left…..

Ales1 needed that. Badly.

24. Icecastles says:

3-2!!!!!!!

I don’t know about Jack Adams, but I’m nominating this team for the Jack Daniels Award. Team most likely to drive its’ fans to drink.

P.S. Spell check tried to change “daniels” to “denials”. That’s the first time I’ve seen a computer make a Freudian slip.

25. Lord Bob says:

Hemsky is crazy snakebit. I don’t think the kid knows which way is up anymore.

26. mc79hockey says:

There were a lot of smart Oilers fans who thought that this team was exactly what it has been: a team that would hang around the fringes.

Hemsky stepping up…3-2. Come on boys, keep Lord Bob from drinking antifreeze!

27. Bruce says:

3-2, and we respond by throwing out the Cogliano-Pisani-Moreau “go backwards ’til you can’t go any further” line.

When he had the horses MacT had a beauty run.

A team with Pronger, Peca, Horcoff, Stoll, Torres, Spacek, Smyth, Smith, Pisani is a much better fit for MacTavish.

This team, not so much.

He gets the type of players who are better off playing a 2-1-2 forecheck, and can’t stop himself from playing the 1-2-2 with a 1 goal lead. (Red Wings excepted from the 1-2-2, its really a bad idea to try to play them in a 2-1-2 unless your forwards are strong and fast)

MacTavish’s biggest fault this year (besides playing half the roster out of position) is assuming the opposition will get the next goal instead of his team, and letting them press the 2-1-2 when ahead.

29. doritogrande says:

Uhhh, should I go back to playing NHL09 guys?

30. Icecastles says:

I’d just like to point out that both Oilers goals scored were while I was in another room typing that long post.

I swear I am some sort of fucking jinx on this team.

How much will you guys pay me to never watch another game? :D

31. mc79hockey says:

I’m going skiing in Quebec this weekend but with NHL Gamecentre and a laptop, I think that tomorrow night’s activity will be watching the Ducks game.

32. PunjabiOil says:

Lord Bob: When he had the horses MacT had a beauty run.

The same year it took until the 80th game to clinch a playoff spot?

His season wasn’t flawless then too. And if SJ doesn’t blow leads in games 3 and 4, are we even having this conversation?

It goes without saying that in any other NHL city, he would have been fired a long time ago.

33. Lord Bob says:

How much will you guys pay me to never watch another game? :D

You’re second in line after getting Loxy (something like 23-4 when she watches) NHL Centre Ice.

34. mc79hockey says:

The same year it took until the 80th game to clinch a playoff spot?

Why make such a pinhead argument? That team would have had home ice in R1 if they had a goalie and may well have had home ice advantage.

35. HBomb says:

Memo to MacT: that Kotalik on LW with 10 and 83 shit does NOT work.

Horpensky, right fucking now, please and thank you.

Moreau gets promoted to the top nine, yet Penner rides the goddamn bench for the latter part of the 3rd period (or as far as I can tell).

Fuck you Craig MacTavish. Fuck you.

They finished 8th because Lowe didn’t get off his ass and grab a goalie until the deadline. Come on guys, 2006 was at least a bit about MacTavish.

37. Bruce says:

Did you see who lost that offensive zone faceoff? Pisani.

38. doritogrande says:

Kotalik should now be taking draws over Andrew Cogliano.

39. Lord Bob says:

doritogrande: I would expand “Kotalik” in that sentence to include “everyone, including Roloson and centres on the opposing team”.

40. HBomb says:

dg: Strudwick should be taking draws over Cogliano. I am serious.

41. mc79hockey says:

O’Sullivan’s gotta learn to get the puck deep. Twice this period he’s had the chance and pissed it away.

42. Lord Bob says:

Actually, you know what? The goalie taking faceoffs? How has noone tried it? Is it illegal? With that big paddle you can’t tell me he wouldn’t win almost all of them.

Yeah, I know that involves emptying your net, but still, if there’s 1.6 seconds left and you’re in the offensive zone then why the hell not? I can’t believe Roger Nielson or somebody never tried that.

43. Lucinius says:

Am I the only one who cringes when Moreau’s on the ice in the last 5 minutes or so?

I keep expecting a turn-over or a penalty.

Ethan! For crying out loud!

45. Icecastles says:

I have to agree with LT on that one. The biggest hole in the team until the deadline was goaltending… I think MacT had a lot to dow with that success.

But like Woodguy says, it was a different sort of a team, one more suited to MacT’s style. It’s like racing Formula 1 with a 4X4 or going off-roading in a Ferrari. Just because it’s a great vehicle, doesn’t mean it suits the conditions.

46. doritogrande says:

Goalies cannot cross the red line. Nice idea though.

47. Coach pb9617 says:

Kevin Dineen, your new coach

Well, the organization decided to dial back the average age of the cluster. The organization decided Gagner was so good he could stay. The organization decided that Smid was ready. The organization decided that they were okay with so littl experience at center AFTER MACT STATED HE WANTED Reasoner.

No way. Not fair Magee.

49. Councilman Les Winan says:

I saw that muffin into Bryzgalov’s glove, and I immediately thought that Moreau must have watched Christensen’s goal last night, and thought to himself “Why have I never tried that?”

50. Lord Bob says:

First off, goalies can cross the red line in the real world, or pulling them would be hard two periods a game for the road team.

Second, he’s not crossing the red line. He’s starting opposite the red line. Come on. If you can get away with throwing change on the ice to get an extra timeout once, that’s something that would work one time.

51. HBomb says:

What a fucking pathetic effort in the final 2 minutes with the goalie out.

Atrocious.

52. Bruce says:

I think Sheldon Souray may be the worst player I’ve ever seen with the goalie out. Seriously. No urgency whatsoever.

53. Icecastles says:

Do they get a looser point tonight? because they definitely played like loosers. Going to cry into my jersey now.

54. Dennis says:

I understand the whole thing about balance and what he did when he had a great team but what about when he didn’t? Did he get what he could at that point?

Why fear the reaper?

We die before the playoffs every fucking year anyway.

55. mc79hockey says:

What a disappointment.

56. Lucinius says:

Not entirely sure what Souray was doing there…

Or why everyone would stop dead at the blue line every time.

57. PunjabiOil says:

Tommorow’s game could be the season.

58. Schitzo says:

Well, that was not pleasant.

Well THAT was a bullet to the heart. Man this team is a lot like the Montreal Expos. Heartbreak early, followed by a thunderclap and elation, only to be squashed at the buzzer.

Martine Gaillard. Would you run away with her?

60. Lord Bob says:

Yeah, we suck on toast. But – and this may be the Listerine talking – I’m still really jacked up about my goalie-taking-faceoffs idea.

(Tambellini, there’s more where that came from! Call me! [makes little cell-phone-wiggling gesture at the side of his head])

61. Coach pb9617 says:

PLUS a lack of balance. Every damn year.

None of that caused the things that the people here are annoyed with, you know that LT.

62. Icecastles says:

Lowetide said…

No way. Not fair Magee.

He’s not the first coach in history to not get everything he wanted, and you can’t tell me that he has no say in the majority of roster decisions. To blame it on the ones he doesn’t get makes him look even worse.

It turns MacT into a petulant prima donna who can’t execute unless he gets everything he wants (and I give him more credit than to characterize him like that). Anyone can succeed (okay, almost anyone) with a perfect team and a modicum of coaching ability. A winning coach works with what he has, even if it’s not everything he wanted.

63. oilerdago says:

Just one more dissapointing loss in a very dissapointing season.

They’ve only got themselves to blame for this pathetic effort.

Bucky makes an interesting comment – no urgency in the postgame. Already shifting the blame. The ENTIRE team – Coaches included is to blame for this effort.

64. Lucinius says:

So very disappointing.

I wish just once it wouldn’t be a fight to the finish to get into the playoffs. Just once.

And yes, I partly blame Mact for it. That isn’t to say he’s solely to blame (Lowe carries a lot of the blame as well, as do certain players..)

Meh. I wish I wasn’t out of vodka.

65. Bruce says:

When I posted Kotalik for the ice breaker, I was thinking 3-2.

When you watch the replay of the Winning goal, watch for the absolutely pathetic play below the goal line by Liam Reddox against Shane Doan. One of the two is a real hockey player. The other looked like a UHL player. In a slump. Having a brain cramp.

Shane Doan was better tonight that the best three Oilers you could name. That Steve Kelly character sure worked out though.

Well from my pov this era for the Oilers was a lot about developing NHL players. For their team and others.

And I don’t believe anyone has evidence that MacTavish wanted it as slanted in that direction as it has been since 2006 summer.

Specifically the Marty Reasoner comments point to it.

67. rickibear says:

“O’sullivan I want you to be like Hemsky.” ok coach. Skates back. ” Did I turn it over at the blue line enough.”

68. Icecastles says:

I like your idea, Lord Bob. And I can’t say I haven’t thought about it when I’m sitting in the net watching my centre loose another draw that ends with the puck in my glove (or more often the net) five seconds later.

Though my team says I start enough scraps from my crease… not sure they would be thrilled to see me wandering to centre ice. :)

I wonder if I could just give him my stick for the faceoff….

69. HBomb says:

So the Cogliano-Pouliot-Pisani line is the only trio to outshoot the Wings Tuesday, Pouliot gets lifted for the Teacher’s Pet (Reddox) tonight, and that line goes a collective minus-6?

I say fuck you MacT. I wonder if MacT is saying fuck you Kevin Lowe, or if he’s actually so stupid to think that the Oilers best lineup includes Liam Reddox right now?

Guess what? It DOESN’T.

MacT is done. Done.

70. Icecastles says:

I think maybe this year the Oilers will not win the Stanley Cup.

71. Dennis says:

Impressive night for the Oilers at EV.

72. oilerdago says:

HBomb: 8 games and counting. The teams, the fans, everyone needs a fresh start and that’s the only good that comes out of tonite’s game.

73. mc79hockey says:

Amen. If it’s not MacT coaching this team next year, whoever it is will be the beneficiary of some talented young guys like Smid and Gagner. MacT has paid the price for their development with his reputation in Edmonton – everyone’s slagging him for running Gagner out for a faceoff the other night instead of Brodziak.

He makes a million bucks, so I won’t feel too sorry for him, but tough gig.

74. Bruce says:

Reddox misses two games before being rushed back from his brain injury. MacIntyre gets one game, Pouliot gets the other, then Reddox gets back in there. And Zack Stortini, who has more gumption than 90% of the active roster, sits in the press box and watches him team sink without him.

MacT is done. Done.

Agreed. I’m ready to do it tonight.

75. Coach pb9617 says:

A winning coach doesn’t do the inane shit he’s done all year. Period. He’s either burnt out of off his meds. Either way, good night sweetheart, it’s time to go .

And, oh yeah, oh no, we suck again !

MC: Looks like it’s down to us. :-)

The MacT scooter.

77. HBomb says:

oilerdago: It’s just time for a change. I’m not a MacT fan, but he’s got his good points and will find work elsewhere in this league as a coach in due time.

That being said, is there anything to lose at this point if Lowe were to “go Gainey” and turf the guy tomorrow morning and coach the last eight games? I’m not sure that there is.

It all comes down to the next three games. Losing tonight leaves the Oilers zero margin for error. They basically need to win all three to have a chance, in my opinion (that being said, if they do, they’re in damn good shape).

78. Lord Bob says:

Gosh dangit, where’d I leave that can of paint thinner…

79. Coach pb9617 says:

I really think that the team is about Moreau and Reddox, if they get their jam games going, Oilers win.

18-85-83

80. HBomb says:

Coach: If Stan Weir saw that line combination, he would punch MacT in the head through his TV monitor at home in Ponoka.

MacT would suffer seven simultaneous concussions as a result.

81. Icecastles says:

Coach – If you want that line to really catch fire, better make sure you have 43 out there on point for them. :) Dy-no-MITE!

82. Icecastles says:

Post-game interview: I’m not being mean or sarcastic, but MacT genuinely looks a bit drunk. He is swaying a bit, his pupils are big, he’s slurring a bit compared to usual, and his eyes are wandering.

He honest-to-god looks like he’s a bit drunk. WTF.

83. Dennis says:

I bring up letting 89 take an own zone draw instead of 51 because it’s a move that looks curious and really doesn’t lead to much of a defense.

It just seems to me that the guy isn’t covering all the bases anymore. Now, maybe I’m wrong about that and he never was as resolute as I believed him to be but overall it’s easier to criticize when the team never makes the playoffs.

We’re looking at one appearance in the last five seasons if we don’t make it this year so I don’t know why anyone would be against getting rid of him.

84. Bank Shot says:

Myabe they can find a coach who gets the most out of his players.

MacT has certainly set the bar pretty high on getting the least out of alot of different guys lately.

85. Coach pb9617 says:

He honest-to-god looks like he’s a bit drunk. WTF.

Refer above to:

“He’s either burnt out of off his meds. “

86. knighttown says:

PLUS a lack of balance. Every damn year.

Ugh, LT. You’re a brilliant guy but you’re a stubborn guy and in many ways (and I mean this as a compliment) you’re a lot like MacT. Sure they are young, but this isn’t a team of rookies out there. You do realize that if Poo played instead of Reddox there wouldn’t be a single rookie in the Oilers lineup? How many Coyote rooks?

Unfortunately, this is not 1975 when wily vets outfoxed kids who learned and developed until they were 25+ and they became the wily vets. How can you say we started this game with less NHL players than the opposition when we played the Phoenix Coyotes? Assuming the “actual NHL players” line is drawn above the sophomores (Gags, Nils, Cogs, Poo) I count 3 established Coyote forwards (Doan, Lombardi and Upshall) and a pretty good d-core. I mean, Hemsky, Horcoff, Kotalik, Penner, Moreau, Pisani, O’Sullivan plus Souray, Gilbert, Staois and Grebeshkov are all at least young vets.

The lack of Marty Reasoner is not the problem on this team.

87. Dennis says:

IC: this intervie on-line or was it a dealie from Sportsnet?

Regarding the way he looked, it could not possibly have been worse than his expression when we fell behind 3-0.

There’s gob-smakced and then there’s MacT being down 3-0 to Phx.

88. oilerdago says:

HBomb: I agree with you that MacT does have his good points. A lot was asked of him over the last few years, he showed in the run to the SCF that he can do the job, but this year has been a different story from the get go.

I have never believed that Lowe would can his his friend. I’ve felt for 2 months MacT would resign at the end of the season and still think that way – unless they completely crap the bed.

Perhaps a blowout tomorrow would make that a possibility and something just feels that this could happen. I don’t know anymore.

89. doritogrande says:

Lord Bob:

Go get the vanilla extract. I kid you not.

90. Icecastles says:

Dennis: Sportsnet interview. Will probably be on the official site later tonight.

91. Coach pb9617 says:

Does anyone know of a resource that I can check to see what position Strudwick was actually playing during a game, LW or D?

knighttown: I understand the frustration over MacT’s decisions and they have been curious. The one that I’ve wondered about all year long is the Penner flogging:

Still, this imo is an organizational imbalance and the wrong guy will walk the plank.

And we’ll start all over again. Take ‘em wide, Bucky! You think he’ll flush Reddox? Not hardly. PLUS we have to suffer through all the long seasons of learning and personality conflicts etc.

I’d put good money on MacT having a better landing than this team without him.

93. knighttown says:

MC’s argument is that the Oilers are right where some people thought they’d be and standings wise, 9th is probably within the range. However, there were many things that went right in the Western Conference for the first time in decades and the presumed battle for only 1-2 spots became a battle for 5.

The division winners did what we thought they’d do, but everyone had Dallas and Anaheim written in with pen and the Oilers had an inside track with Chicago and Vancouver for spots 5-8.

Since Dallas and Anaheim shit the bed, we managed to get left in the dust by Chicago and Vancouver and now Columbus is clearly ahead in more than just points.

We’re battling with a St. Louis team that shouldn’t have been that good in the first place and has been DECIMATED by injuries to Brewer, Kariya, McDonald, Eric Johnson and Oshie.

We’re fighting tooth and nail with a so-so Wild team that lost their only offensive player for the entire season and now have lost their best player and heart and soul.

Tonight we got passed by a Preds squad 1 full season removed from a fire sale that saw them lose Upshall, Hartnell, Vokoun, Timonen, Forsberg, Kariya and this year Radulov and Sullivan (again).

You wanna talk holes? Look at the job Trotz, Murray and Lemaire have done with inferior lineups.

No way. Not fair Magee.

You’re right, the haven’t given him what he wants.

Even more reason to hand the reins over to someone else.

I’m reminded of when he was first extended in 2003. Kevin Lowe mentioned before the deal got done that he and MacTavish “had different philosophies”. That gasbag Bryan Hall was all over the radio saying MacTavish was done as Oilers coach since “different philosophies” couldn’t exist between managment and coach.

I guess if Lowe providing different horses than MacTavish asked for is just a continuation of that philosophical divergence.

In all honesty, I think MacTavish is actually the smarter hockey mind of the two.

Lowe gave him a gas can by providing this particular group of players to MacTavish.

Unfortunately the coach seems to have lost his mind this year when it comes to player deployment. Essentially he as taken the gas can Lowe provided, poked holes in the bottom of it and ran around screaming “SPRINKLER!!!” while lighting matches.

I think MacTavish is as a good a coach as Hitchcock. Hitchcock got lucky that the guy who was the smartest man in the Oilers organization is now his boss.

95. Bruce says:

Or Stortini. Instead, Reddox rushes back in there, and proceeds to shit the bed. Just watching the replays observed that Ken Klee was Reddox’s man who was allowed to sneak from the point all the way into the faceoff circle while Reddox stood around out of position on the wrong wing. Two goal-causing errors, to go with his 0 shots and 0 attempted shots and his 6 scoring chances allowed in under 7 minutes TOI. By the third he was nailed to the bench while Pisani tried to play centre again between Moreau and Penner.

Good call, Coach.

96. HBomb says:

Lowetide: There is absolutely no way they can sell Buchberger as the replacement.

I repeat. No. Fucking. Way.

97. Bank Shot says:

Chicago started the season with 3 guys that shave, and Columbus is made up of other team’s cast offs and a rookie goalie.

Bascially every good team other then the top 3-4 in the league overcome preseason holes to finish 5th or 6th in the playoff race.

98. mc79hockey says:

This is a different team than those teams from 2000-06. Different job. He’s trying to balance winning and developing prospects. Those teams between 2000-2006 were a lot more veteran laden and there was a lot less development work to be done. They were doing less development at the NHL level too. There’s a huge investment in Cogs and Gagner in terms of playing time.

99. Bruce says:

At least when Viktor Tikhonov the Elder lost the room, he stood a real good chance of rebuilding through The Draft.

HBomb: You’re sure about that? Absolutely certain?

101. Bank Shot says:

That’s debateable. I’ve seen Mact put out Laraque as the 6th attacker.

102. mc79hockey says:

HBomb: You’re sure about that? Absolutely certain?

I’d be heartbroken, if only because Bucky is such a lousy interview.

103. HBomb says:

Lowetide: I sure as shit hope I’m right. Because Buchberger has no business being an NHL assistant right now IMO, let alone a head coach.

Flaming’s reviews of his work in Springfield last year were, to say the least, less than glowing.

MacT gets ditched, they need to go external. Proven guy like Quinn or Brent Sutter or a high profile assistant from someplace like Detroit.

Another member of the Old Boys Club won’t cut it. They go with Bucky, I seriously consider just cheering for San Jose or Chicago full time while said hire crashes and burns. It would be easier on my heart, not to mention my liver.

104. knighttown says:

LT, you can’t let you’re fear of Kelly Buchburger ruin your life:) In high school, I dated a beauty hot girl with tremendous “assets” who just happened to be a bitch of epic proportions. But I couldn’t dump her because I thought that the proverbial ocean had no fish so sweet and I worried I’d haul up my line and find a ling-cod on the end of ‘er,

Fast forward 2 years and I’ve got a fabulous wife and kid and maybe a baby Sadie on the way.

The Oilers are a team that spends to the cap and are blessed with lots of young talent. If you don’t trust Lowe, trust Tambo and Katz that they’ll find the right coach. I’ve got to believe there is a zero percent chance the Oilers name Bucky the next coach.

Look at it this way. In the past few years, Brent Sutter, Joel Queenville, Ron Wilson, Mike Babcock and Claude Julien have taken new coaching jobs. Would you feel better if the Oilers replaced MacT with one of those names?

105. Lord Bob says:

That’s debateable. I’ve seen Mact put out Laraque as the 6th attacker.

Toby Petersen wants to know how you forgot about him.

The last time this organization went outside the hive was Burnett, right?

107. Dennis says:

Anyone else feel uncomfortable with KT’s women/fish analogy?

I was reading it and saying, “Don’t do it, KT!!!;)

Ty: I’ve got no problem saying it’s a “change for the sake of it” plea from where I’m sitting. I’m not saying we’ll get a guy who’s better but I’m also not saying we couldn’t find a younger guy or a hungry guy who could bring a fresh perspective.

I understand the whole “developing while trying to win” idea and I know that Charlton Heston was braying from the beach – you blew it up all to hell – the day they dealt Pronger for Magic Bean Lupul and Magic Bean Smid.

And while I enjoy the playoffs every year, it would be nice to get to cheer my own guys for a change.

So, yeah, after all this time, why not change?

108. Lord Bob says:

Also, it bears noting that last year under Buchberger, Springfield was 35-35-10.

This year under Truitt and Daum, with much the same core of players, Springfield is… er, less than that.

Just sayin’.

That’s debateable. I’ve seen Mact put out Laraque as the 6th attacker.

Well, to my defense I didn’t say he was the burning bush of hockey :-)

I’ve seen Kevin Lowe defend his management record during the Penner brouhaha by pointing at the Stanley Cup rings he won as a player.

I’ve also seen Kevin Lowe tank a good trade by deciding a player who earned a bonus in his contract should pay some of the bonus back.

I’ve also seen Fernando Pisani play center on a team with 5 natural centers.

Crap, now I’m confused.

110. eidy says:

many times in the last few months i have went to bed after reading the blog hoping that mact was relieved of his duties. I understand being loyal, but this, doing the same thing on PK and PP, and expecting a different result, well there is a word for it…

i think we should bring in quinn for the last 8 games, kind of like a world juniors length coaching stint. it seemed to work then

111. eidy says:

do you think we will have a shot a luke schenn in the draft. he may be available to us at 11

112. pboy says:

They’ve never gone outside the hive, LT. George Burnett was the head coach of the Cape Breton Oilers before he got the top gig. I’m hoping that Tambo really is the GM of this team and he goes out and hires the best possible person for the job, regardless of whether or not they ever won a cup here.

I don’t really understand why a professional sports team would hire a head coach who has no previous experience being a head coach. It happens all the time in basketball, hockey and baseball and it makes zero sense. Hiring former players is fine but they should definitely have the experience of being a head coach somewhere before they are given the top job. I can’t think of example in the NFL where a former player becomes a head coach of a team without first putting in years as an assistant.

113. Dennis says:

LT: There’s no doubt they’d try to sell Buchy as the new boss; we’re on the same page on that one.

Lowe’s the pied piper of Jasper Ave. and he’s sold worst so he would sell that with a straight face.

The bad news for all of us is that Katz has Lowe eating breakfast eight days a week shaking hands and looking for a new building. So, good old Vish Throttler is safe to be sure. Now, does that clemency translate to MacT as well?

There’s something unsettling about the new owner being in bed with an old boys network that can’t even make the playoffs, no?

114. Lord Bob says:

You know, I don’t think he will be.

115. hunter1909 says:

Sorry to have missed the game, but it seems I’ve now got a perfect 5-0 record predicting the last 5 Oiler games.

Who do they play next? Doesn’t matter. Home or away? Makes no difference.

Hmmm…just checked NHL.com for the standings, and Oilers just dropped out of the playoffs.

Prediction for next game = Loss.

116. hunter1909 says:

Wasn’t there supposed to be a coach who tried to turn Bobby Hull into a checker?

117. hunter1909 says:

Please excuse me, but I’ve got a date over at HF Boards; I want to read all of the latest anti Hemsky comments, lol.

118. Lord Bob says:

Doubtless all posted by Shawn Horcoff.

119. Coach pb9617 says:

Dineen, Capuano, Fitzgerald…

120. eidy says:

LB: wow, i think i need to drink a little less. i meant jared cowan, the names aren’t even close. that was not good

121. George B says:

Ah…another must win game lost. A team that spends to the cap that plays a bad system, and the organization run by a bunch of buddies that spend time drinking beers and reminisce about the old days.

“Tough game MacT.” -K-lo “Grab me another Heineken.”

122. hunter1909 says:

Just wondering what everyone’s going to think next year when the Avs come into town with Tavares or Hedman.

BTW: Does this avatar make my ass look fat?

123. Lord Bob says:

Tough news from the international hockey scene tonight. Gabor Ocskay, probably one of the five greatest players in the history of Hungarian hockey, has died at the age of 34 less than a week after leading his team to the national championship.

124. Icecastles says:

Give Penner the coaching job. Just to watch MacT and see if a man can actually make his own head explode. I’ve always wondered.

125. dubya says:

So, we don’t get to judge MacT until he’s got a team without holes, right? So basically, Detroit with 1997 Hasek in net?

Seriously, the team isn’t perfect but the coaching has been erratic at best. MacT has a team good enough to make the playoffs in this conference. The Oilers have more “NHL Players” (TM Lowetide) than does Phoenix. But they lost. At some point, can we not entertain whether someone other than the incumbet might squeeze more points out of this team of “non-NHL” players?

Just cuz someone might do worse doesn’t mean MacT is the man for the job.

126. St George says:

I believe we established back in mid Feb that the Oil were not going to make the playoffs (since it required them to play .600+ when the had been .500 for the first 50 games) … why are folks so surprised?

127. Icecastles says:

Well-said, dubya, I couldn’t agree more.

All season, the defense of MacT (in certain circles, not saying this blog per se) has been along the lines of “sure, they have lost eleven games in a row, but they won three in a row before that! If they had lost all fifteen it would be a diferent story, but its not,” or “It’s too early in the season to fire the coach” for the first half of the season, switching after Christmas to “it’s too late in the season to fire the coach.”

It seems that as time progresses and excuses run out (again, I’m not accusing LT of this. I’m thinking more of the Dan Tencers of the world), the ground keeps shifting and the reasons for keeping him and explanations for the resounding failure of this season evolve.

Nobody thought this team was a Cup contender, but for them to miss the playoffs… brutal. Especially considering how badly a number of other Western teams are playing this year (see KT’s excellent post a few back).

Sometimes change for the sake of change is not 100% a bad thing if the problem is stagnation. And it never has to mean that you are trading down… there are a few realyl good coaches available right now. Will we find a smarter coach? Perhaps not. But like I said earlier, it’s like going off-roading in a Ferrari. just because the vehicle is awesome, doesn’t mean its suited to the conditions.

And if MacT isn’t getting what he wants and can’t work with what he’s got, you can replace 90% of the players, the president and the GM, or you can replace the coach. But you can’t keep doing the exact same thing and expect the results to be any different.

128. Icecastles says:

St. George – I think it’s because for the first part of the year, we saw that the team SHOULD be able to play better and to win games that they’d been loosing. I still maintain that the failings of this season have less to do with a lack of talent or a shortage of real NHLers. Rather, the problem has been a clear game plan, preparedness, discipline, and plain old battle level. These are things that can evolve over the course of a season and the Oil has a history of pulling it together late in the season.

So given history and latent potential, I think there was always hope (if not always belief) that at some point, justice would prevail.

129. Fake Craig McTavish says:

What is the sound of one hand clapping? :)

130. Asiaoil says:

Pro sports is a “what have you done lately” occupation – and MacT hasn’t done sweet FA for quite a while. He’s got some game – but frankly anyone who can’t see that the guy has been totally dysfunctional this season (for whatever reason) is just not being honest with themselves. LT and MC can talk about 2006 all they want – but MacT has been a coaching equivalent of a bad smell in a very small room all season and should have been ditched by mid-season at the latest. They got beat by a young, bad team in a must win game – the coach hangs for that let alone all the other gaffes throughout the season.

I’ve been of the opinion that the team will under-perform until the old boy coaching club is gassed and the mediocre core vets (Staios, Moreau) are sent packing. Let Roloson walk even though he’s been stellar – this is his last hurrah – and you may have to bury Pisani’s contract in the AHL if he can’t get it back together. That would be a decent start.

But until a leadership change happens this pathetic little show will continue.

131. Fake Craig McTavish says:

Stan Weir has moved to Columbus.

132. hunter1909 says:

Methinks they still squawk into 8th…

Then the apologists can toe the party line(geez Comrie was right…this really IS like a Communist team), Lowe can sign another douche UFA, Hemsky gets traded for a couple of picks/prospects, and horror of horrors guess who gets another kick at the dead donkey for 2009-10?

But no one has to worry, because good old “bucky” will have another year to try to learn how to pretend to be a head coach for the 2010-11 season.

133. hunter1909 says:

The new avatar is self-explanatory, LOL.

134. Bruce says:

Well said, IceCastles. What holds at a team level is also true at the individual level. I hate to keep harping on the same thing, but I think it’s important, that MacT has chosen to bench for eight consecutive games now a player who always follows the game plan, and whose preparedness, discipline and plain old battle level are always pushing the upper limits.

I can tell you there is no fucking way Zack Stortini would have forgotten to show up for the first two periods tonight the way about two-thirds of the team did. Not a chance. Unfortunately, he didn’t get that chance, again, and once again his team came up about 30 minutes light on the compete meter.

135. Bruce says:

PS, Hunter, you “crack” me up.

136. Fake Craig McTavish says:

hunter1909 said…
    Methinks they still squawk into 8th…

Methinks not Hunter.

The Oilers will lose to the Ducks tonight and that will be the epitaph as their chances of making the playoffs will sink to below 20 percent.

They would then need 10 points in 7 games and the schedule gets tougher, not easier, for the rest of the season.

As it sits right now, all of Anaheim, Nashville, St. Louis and Minnesota win all the tiebreakers and it’s likely going to come down to that.

137. knighttown says:

Anyone else feel uncomfortable with KT’s women/fish analogy?

I was reading it and saying, “Don’t do it, KT!!!;)

Ah geez Dennis, you of all people should cut a guy a break when the post is made at 11:30pm Edmonton time and 2:30AM Halifax time. And now, here it is 7AM and I’m back at it.

It’s “check day” at the pharmacies today which means the welfare checks are out and the people who have been skipping their insulin for the past week can now sign over their checks so I can get their blood sugar under 30. A modern day Shylock I am.

Right now I’m running off coffee and Oilers anger but I might NEED the Oilers to miss the playoffs to get some sort of a life back.

138. knighttown says:

And besides Dennis, a ling cod really is a bad looking fish. You do not want to see something like this on the end of your line.

I could never eat something that looks and smells that bad.

139. mc79hockey says:

Considering your track record at predicting their demise FCM, I feel considerably more optimistic having read this.

140. digger says:

I dunno LT, IMO the Oilers started out the year with as many “actual NHL players” as most of their peers, but unfortunately our “NHL players” haven’t been all that shit-hot in comparison to our competition’s “NHL players”, especially among the forwards.

In a cap world, you can’t pay for quality at one position without rolling the dice and cheaping out at another position, hoping that your low rent guys can keep their heads above water at worst, and at best actually be able to swim upstream.

The Oilers spent their $ on dmen and a relatively pricey 3rd line of Moreau/Pisani/Penner to start the year, and hoped that a dirt cheap 2nd line of young guys (but not rookies)and a grab bag of recent AHL grads on the 4th line could hold their own. The dmen worked out for the most part, not much else did.

The 1st line? Who knows how different things would’ve been if Cole hadn’t been a total washout at LW.

Remember when the 3 headed goalie monster was supposed to be this huge dressing room distraction that was doing its part to hold this team back? It doesn’t seem like this team’s any more focused now than it was before Garon was traded, so IMO that was a mirage in terms of results on the ice.

As for next season, I’ll stab myself in the face with broken glass if this team goes with “take ‘em wide!” for 09/10.

141. Doogie2K says:

Just as this isn’t the same team as the good old days, I dunno that MacT’s been the same coach. You can say they are who we thought they were, but I think it’s pretty obvious that this team is woefully underperforming given how easily both special teams could have been much better, and how much different (and likely easier) things could have been if MacT wasn’t designing his lines with a pachinko machine. Even acknowledging that the PP has never been MacT’s thing (and if not, why the fuck didn’t he hire someone who knew what he/she was doing years ago?), the PK can and should be better, and his line combinations and roster decisions have been consistently baffling. Marty Sakic might have helped, but he isn’t the reason for the season.

Maybe he’s burned out, or maybe he’s just lost interest, or maybe he’s lost his touch, or maybe he just can’t work with this style of team. Whatever the reason, it’s time for a change.

They’ve never gone outside the hive, LT.

Looking back, I think the last proper outsider hired might have been Bep Guidolin, who coached the first 63 games of the 1976-77 season (I don’t know who the GM was, but the only Edmonton connection I can find is coaching the Oshawa Bobby Orrs against Ray Kinasewich’s Oil Kings at the Memorial Cup in ’66). He resigned late in the season and handed the reigns to his captain, a journeyman winger named Glen Sather, who became the last player-coach in major-pro hockey. Since then, it’s been Sather’s buddy/ex-teammate (Watson), Sather’s assistant coach (Muckler), Muckler’s assistant coach (Green), the AHL coach (Burnett), an ex-Oilers goalie (Low), an ex-Oilers defenceman (Lowe), and hitting for the cycle, and ex-Oilers forward (MacTavish).

I just assumed you meant Luke’s brother Brayden (what a dumbass name).

142. HBomb says:

Brayden Schenn might have a dumbass name, but if the Oilers ended up with the opportunity to draft him, I’d be quite happy about that.

143. Dennis says:

KT: I have been living off coffee for the past couple of years and I don’t know how I did it before!:)

144. Master Lok says:

MC: Looks like it’s down to us. :-)

The MacT scooter.

Hey I’m on the skateboard tied to the end of the scooter then.

mc79hockey: If people are honest and admit that this is about change for change’s sake, that’s one thing. The idea that they’re going to find a better coach out there though, that bothers me.

Yup, Agreed here. If you want change for change’s sake, that’s understandable.

« Older Comments