Oilers at Hawks, G71/08-09

This is Bobby Hull. The defender is Bert Marshall and the other Oakland Seal in photo is Gary Jarrett. The Hawks teams of the 1960′s and 1970′s were wonderful to watch and Chicago had a nice group of young guns about 1990 or so, but it’s been a tough run for Chicago fans overall since the Golden Jet left a vapor trail when leaving town in 1972.

I think the Hawks are a team that could go deep this spring, but they’re going to have to be healthy and get secondary scoring.

Dennis Hull was quality secondary scoring. Boasting a shot that may have been harder than his more famous brother, Hull could do some things (of course, he was often checked a little closer than a Guy Lafleur–in helmet–is doing here) and had some big years in Chi-town.

Chicago is a hockey town (at least a little) once again. The Chicago players I enjoy watching most are the kid Toews and Duncan Keith, who might just be perfect.

I don’t know a lot about what’s out there between now and 2020, but I do know that the collective future on this edition of the Chicago Blackhawks is mind-blowing. The last time the Hawks won the Stanley, they were led by a bunch of kids (Robert Hull was 21, Stan Mikita was 20, even Glenn Hall was only 28). They may not win it this season, but their day is coming.

The Oilers were impressive in Denver, and since they’re pretty much a .500 club this year (34-36) one would expect an L tonight. The smart play is to rest Roloson and save him for the Minny game, but my bet would be MacT sleeps on it and decides to roll out Methuselah one more time.

228 Responses to "Oilers at Hawks, G71/08-09"

« Older Comments
  1. Doogie2K says:

Have we really gotten points in seven straight? It sure doesn’t seem that way.

Cue Brucian rant on the OTL point. ;)

2. Icecastles says:

I know I can count on HBomb for the Hall and Oates, so I’ll keep singing for Kotalyk!!!!

3. Quinn says:

Beautiful song that Kotalik!

4. mc79hockey says:

Nope, mine was about the brutal pass towards his own net that went right on the stick of a Chicago guy. Back pass, you got to be 100% sure.

Yeah, I phrased it poorly but that’s what I was talking about. He tried the exact same play about 15-30 seconds earlier, same result. It looked like he wasn’t getting the kick off the boards that he was expecting.

5. Bruce says:

The feed went to pot right at the end there, no sound, and the picture was so choppy I wasn’t sure if O’Sullivan had actualy socred ’til the second replay. As if my heart needed another accelerator.

It might not have been Dwayne Rolson’s best game of the season, but it was his gutsiest. That PS stop off the “monster” Toews to keep things tied up was basically worth two points. I guess we can second-guess MacT’s call all we want, but apparently it was the right one.

Three game winning streak.

6. Icecastles says:

Aaah, HBomb, a win just wouldn’t be the same without being able to clap.

I had Rod-O-Vision… did they do the freaky bounce hug tonight? :)

7. Dennis says:

The way I saw it.

Interesting numbers on the 12-89-21 line.

8. Quinn says:

IC,

Like a Brazilian soccer team

9. quain says:

I’ve got an open $30 Edmonton/St. Louis parlay. After collecting a on $50 Edmonton bet. This night might be the best ever.

It’s officially the best ever.

10. Bruce says:

Cue Brucian rant on the OTL point. ;)

Nope. I like the three-point must rule, which includes the OTL point.

My issue is all about the devaluation of regulation wins. We should have got 2 instead of 3 tonight.

11. Quinn says:

And as always, this sets us up to cheer for Florida tomorrow.

12. Lord Bob says:

I’m just glad to see someone else use the term “Rod-O-Vision”!

13. Dennis says:

7 of the remaining 11 at Rexall; two of those road dates are in Phx and Ana.

Really no excuses now not to make the playoffs and we can pretty much knock out the Wild with a reg win come this Sunday.

There was a lot to hate about the first 40 min tonight but I was impressed with the way the Oilers held the fort after Chi tied the game in the third; Oil outchanced them 6-4 for the last ~13 min and that’s noteworthy, IMO.

The whole deal with playing the Hawks is that the Oilers lack of matchupability was exposed. That wouldn’t be such a problem if we could get a fucking EV goal out of the 10 line but those just aren’t coming right now. They got nailed for the first GA against but all three were either up by a chance, tied or down by a chance. So, things were pretty even but they didn’t snipe.

Meanwhile, 89′s line was getting raked and 13′s line finish EV at 5-on-5 and 13 took a collar at 4-on-4 as well.

Things wouldn’t be so bad if we had 71 around but tonight we were exposed both up front and on the backend.

Fortunately, we got one or two PP goals and then we used the new toys in the SO.

14. knighttown says:

All of a sudden we’re 5 points clear of 9th with no games in hand anywhere. Is that called separation?

Although, with Vancouver red-hot, games 81 and 82 versus Calgary will likely not be the Curtis McIlennay show, which is too bad. Go Calgary (for the next 2 weeks)?

Good to see The Captain™ get double shifted after Reddox got hurt. I imagine Pouliot draws back in and we see:

10-19-83
    89-12-21
    51-27-18
    13-78-34

But that first line needs to pick it up or else any first round matchup, power vs. power will be ugly.

vs. Datsyuk
    vs. Thornton
    vs. Iginla (5 point night earlier right?)
    vs. Havlat

15. Coach pb9617 says:

Interesting numbers on the 12-89-21 line.

Floatalik is not good.

Hm. Decent read, but there are other issues too.

16. Coach pb9617 says:

The coach knows that he can’t go PVP with O’Sullivan.

17. jon k says:

For what it’s worth, 83 and 19 are both looking good in the offensive zone. They’re getting the chances, they’re just not going in right now. Granted, I think 83′s “slump” largely has to do with poor luck if there’s such a thing. The chances haven’t really dried up, just the goals.

I imagine the perception of the team as a whole would be a lot different if the 10 line’s chances were going in over the past 15 games or so.

Then again, the team’s record would as a whole be a lot different as well.

18. Dennis says:

I imagine 46 draws back in for 85. I’ve just seen MacT keep letting 13 get beaten time and time again on the draw that he won’t consider having 78 lessen some of that load.

Even though 78′s also played well with 34 as well.

One thing no one’s mentioned is how MacT’s already shelved 19 as a PKer. He’s basically running 10-18, 51-34 and then just bringing back 10-18 once again. 85 will get used intermittenly but that’s about it.

Hey, we’ve gone two games in a row without giving up a PKGA so maybe we’re golden;)

19. Dennis says:

JK: Not sure at which point a slump becomes a happenstance.

If O’Horcsky breaks out on Sun in Min, I won’t be surprised. But if it’s not until Thurs in Phx, I won’t be surprised either.

I imagine 46 draws back in for 85.

Since its in Minnesota 33 might lace up his skates, but I can't see him playing with 13.

MacTavish may break up 18-51-27, but he put them out in against Toews & Kane every chance he had tonight so I doubt it.

According to your site they were +2 Corsi as a line tonight which, given their competition, was quality work.

If O’Horcsky breaks out on Sun in Min, I won’t be surprised.

I agree that they’ve had their chances. If 19 quits hitting posts and 10 loosens the grip on the stick they’ll be fine. I still think 83 has a bad wrist. He’s just not as strong on his stick as he usually is.

Also:

What does everyone attribute the Oilers success on the road and terrible record at home to?

Too much pressure?

Their home record is 22nd in the league.

Their road record is tied for 7th best.

Maybe all the players under 26 years old don’t eat right or aren’t sleeping enough at home, but doing things right on the road because the meals are all prepared and partying kept to a minimum.

Maybe its Rexall’s brutal ice?

Maybe its the evil zamboni driver?

Maybe its Lorieau?

Clap, clap

21. rickibear says:

Religon last nite, Ann Rice novels tonite, not sure what to expect Sunday…

If this was the mid 90′s double shots of Cuervo and Absolut at the Rebar.

22. Phil says:

The Rebar! Glory days :)

23. knighttown says:

Interesting stat of the night:

Shots for/against when the game was tied not including 4 on 4 OT once the point was clinched:
    Edmonton 20- Chicago 13

Shots for against when the Oilers were ahead:
    Chicago 30- Edmonton 6

This system of shutting things down when we get a lead is antiquated and simply not effective. The Oilers had control of the game when they played aggressively (smartly forecheck with 2, pinch and activate the defence) and were hopeless when the let Campbell and Keith take turns winding it up against the trap.

24. knighttown says:

By the way, it should be mentioned how good Steve Staois has been lately.

And Dennis, are you able to pull scoring chances with a lead or when tied as per my previous post?

25. Black Dog says:

Interesting stuff knighttown. I think Ty and/or Vic did some work that pointed to that trend, iirc. I’m sure Ty referenced it in his last post or two.

May be old news to you of course.

Nice win last night and while they’re not home and cooled yet points in seven straight games have put them into a good position.

Having depth up front for the first time in a couple of years is helping immensely.

26. PunjabiOil says:

By the way, it should be mentioned how good Steve Staois has been lately.

I agree. He’s playing like a strong veteran, and has stepped up his game since the injuries on the back-end.

27. Bruce says:

Knighttown: That is an interesting stat. 30-6? Wow.
    Oviously the Hawks outscored 4-0 in that situation as well.

As BDHS mentions, there’s been a hell of an interesting discussion going on over at MC79hockey on this subject. Not the first one either. Tyler has given some preliminary results showing how the game score appears to drive the shot clock, the trailing team generally brings more shots and the leading team can be more patient. 30-6, however, is not the road to success no matter what.

Good call on Staios. He’s played by far his best hockey of the season since Visnovsky went down and he got the push into the Top 4.

« Older Comments