Oilers at Hawks, G71/08-09

This is Bobby Hull. The defender is Bert Marshall and the other Oakland Seal in photo is Gary Jarrett. The Hawks teams of the 1960′s and 1970′s were wonderful to watch and Chicago had a nice group of young guns about 1990 or so, but it’s been a tough run for Chicago fans overall since the Golden Jet left a vapor trail when leaving town in 1972.

I think the Hawks are a team that could go deep this spring, but they’re going to have to be healthy and get secondary scoring.

Dennis Hull was quality secondary scoring. Boasting a shot that may have been harder than his more famous brother, Hull could do some things (of course, he was often checked a little closer than a Guy Lafleur–in helmet–is doing here) and had some big years in Chi-town.

Chicago is a hockey town (at least a little) once again. The Chicago players I enjoy watching most are the kid Toews and Duncan Keith, who might just be perfect.

I don’t know a lot about what’s out there between now and 2020, but I do know that the collective future on this edition of the Chicago Blackhawks is mind-blowing. The last time the Hawks won the Stanley, they were led by a bunch of kids (Robert Hull was 21, Stan Mikita was 20, even Glenn Hall was only 28). They may not win it this season, but their day is coming.

The Oilers were impressive in Denver, and since they’re pretty much a .500 club this year (34-36) one would expect an L tonight. The smart play is to rest Roloson and save him for the Minny game, but my bet would be MacT sleeps on it and decides to roll out Methuselah one more time.

228 Responses to "Oilers at Hawks, G71/08-09"

Newer Comments »
  1. Vic Ferrari says:

NHL goaltending, 03/04 season, rust vs rest.

Days Rest — Save%
    0 — 0.916
    1 — 0.911
    2 — 0.911
    3 — 0.909
    4 — 0.907
    5+ — 0.903

Hardly a bulletproof argument I know, I just thought the pragmatists and the philosophers here might need something new to disagree about. :D

Have a good weekend, Lain.

2. Dennis says:

The icebergs are already in sight for the Hawks regarding the salary cap.

Both Versteeg and Bolland are up for raises this summer and right now both guys are clicking for ~500 K and if the Dys took a run at David Backes, I can’t see someone not taking a look at the two aforementioned potential bargains.

And of course both Kane and Toews will be looking to offically get paid by at least 2010.

The only way the Hawks escape all this is by stashing guys like Byuglien in the minors and moving out a guy like Campbell who’s pretty much untradeable, I’d imagine.

So, Hawks fans are already in “enjoy it while it lasts mode” even if they haven’t really gotten a chance to enjoy anything just yet.

3. HBomb says:

Dennis: Chicago’s got one thing going for them – 7 million coming off the books in the form of Nik Khabibulin.

Plus, I read somewhere about Havlat potentially being willing to re-sign there at a discount. How much of one, who knows (if he does go UFA though, would he be a player of interest to the Oilers).

Today’s pre-game chat topic: Happy 61st Birthday to some guy from Parry Sound, Ontario named Robert Orr. I’m going to leave it to Bruce and Lowetide to make me jealous of what I missed around 1970 in watching this man play the game at the highest level (he and Beliveau are the two guys from “before my time” that I would have loved to see in their prime).

4. devin says:

Dennis,

CHI has Khabi eating 6.75 in cap space (UFA) and Havlat using 6 in space (UFA). Also Brian Campbell at 7.142 whom they don’t really need and Hotstove mentioned there were already trade rumblings earlier this year. They’ll have to shell out for Keith though in 2 years.

Given the big tickets expiring I don’t see them having too much trouble, though. Toews and Kane already combine for a 6M cap hit so you probably double that on the next contract – that’s covered by Khabi alone. They will have to get rid of some guys like a Ladd when he’s up or Buff-lin, though, you’re right.

5. digger says:

One thing that shouldn’t be lost track of when it comes to this or that team’s cap space is, of course, that this current CBA is set to expire before the beginning of the 11/12 season, although there is a possibility of it being extended one more year past that.

As we get closer to this CBA’s end, we may see teams start to hedge their bets in terms of passing out long term deals.

Who knows what the salary cap will look like in the future, there’s always the possibility it could be morphed into something more flexible, or even done away with altogether in favour of some sort of luxury tax system. Unlikely to be sure, but you never know.

6. reijo29 says:

Hawks are fine for cap space next year with the Bulin Wall coming off the cap.
    However, like the Oil they will be in some trouble in '10-'11. The positive is that Campbell is the only bad contract (I would say its only tradeable for a similar contract) they have right now & he's a fairly good player to have on a LT contract (younger & good health history). I think the big contracts for good players will become like NBA contracts with trades being made with Cap Space as the desired outcome rather then the players.

-Veersteeg, Bolland and even Havlat will all be re-signing under the new economic times. It will be interesting to see the effect of the pending Cap drop this off-season. I imagine it will really effect the mid to fringe NHLers (especially Older Guys) while the Top guys still make their $$$.

7. dubya says:

Anyone know of any online streams for the game tonight?

8. HBomb says:

RE: Lines.

Ok, it’s time for MacT to stop screwing around and to try and get the first line going. What better way to do so than with the most reliable threesome in that role?

27-10-83 (toughs)
    12-89-21 (buttersofts)
    19-13-34 (secondary toughs)
    18-51-85 (tertiary toughs)

Personally, I think that the fourth unit is better off with either 78 or 46 in for 85, but like Reddox gets yanked out after an assist last night (MacT only does stuff like that to his whipping boys in Pouliot, Nilsson and Penner, not to the new teacher’s pet, Liam).

9. Vic Ferrari says:

HBomb:

I like O’Sullivan a lot more than Penner for Horcoff’s LW, granted in limited ice time so far. In any case Q will surely be running Havlat at the 10/83 line all night. Keith’s D pairing as well.

I would imagine that both Q and MacT would be cool with Kane vs Gagner. And MacT will be trying to avoid Cogliano playing against good players, depends on the wingers on the night, though. And he’ll be trying to prevent either 89 or 13 starting in their own end of the rink very often. And Huddy will try to keep the bottom pairing away from good forwards as much as he can.

And let’s all hope that Roloson gets the start. Riding the hot hand with the goaltending, plus a bit of luck, has enabled MacTavish to keep this team in the playoff race in spite of a questionable talent level on the Oiler roster, so no reason to change now.

10. quain says:

First line has outchanced four games in a row now. Nothing is going in, but I don’t think a shake-up is needed.

78 should likely draw in for Reddox to reinforce the third line (or second), but otherwise the lines look fine to me.

Corsi for just the past four games:

Player / Corsi+/-
    78 / -1
    21 / -2
    13 / -5
    49 / -6
    85 / -6
    5 / -10

Those are pretty good numbers for the good guys up top and even the fourth line. The Souray/Staios success is pretty incredible.

11. HBomb says:

Vic: I’ve thought the O’Horcsky line looked OK so far, but I like going with what’s proven, and Horpensky is just that.

Further, I really liked what I saw from the O’Sullivan-Cogliano-Pisani combo when I was at the Atlanta game. The wingers on that line help make up for any deficiencies that still exist in Cogliano’s two way game.

Most importantly – Penner on the fourth line is a waste. That simple.

12. quain says:

Hey, Vic, while you’re kicking around do you have a link to any work you (or anyone) did in figuring out the Corsi impact for an offensive/defensive zone draw? I know Jonathan and I were both interested in the math behind it.

13. Temujin says:

Happy 61st Birthday to some guy from Parry Sound, Ontario named Robert Orr.

This week I was working in a house and was stunned to see this hockey card lying around on the floor, unprotected. Orr in a Hawks uniform. Wow.

Anyone know of any online streams for the game tonight?

Atdhe is becoming less and less reliable :-( Justin.tv and Ustream.tv the same thing.

14. quain says:

Most importantly – Penner on the fourth line is a waste. That simple.

Well, I’ll agree that $4M on the fourth line is a waste, but if they can keep the first and second lines going I don’t see any reason to be gunshy about reinforcing the bottom six with the Greatest Player to Ever Wear Oilers Silks.

15. Tyler says:

Although your list at the start is probably at least a bit influenced by the fact that backups are likely to have longer waits between starts, which probably brings the sv% numbers down, I’m coming around to starting Roli tonight. Hawks haven’t been such a juggernaut since Jan. 1:

2008: 20-7-7, 121 GF 83 GA
    2009: 17-15-3, 101 GF 97 GA

Sneak out a win tonight and they’re really sitting pretty. Incidentally, they’re at ~65% right now, which is as high as they’ve been in a while. Win with a good night on the OOTS and they take a big step towards locking things up.

/foolish hubris

16. Vic Ferrari says:

quain:

For every shift that starts in your own end it averages out to being outdone 2:1 in terms of shots directed at net.

Of course if you’re going to be coming off the ice once you get the puck going north then it’s a no-win situation. And if you’re taking most of those faceoffs against the other teams best players then it’s more of an impact too. Along this vein, the treatment of Horcoff is bordering on abuse. If it’s the other team’s first line, and the game is close, he’ll take the draws on the right side as well, using his forehand.

And guys like Q and Hitchcock split up the tasks of tough opp and own zone work more than most. So Malhotra/Chimera and Fraser/Ladd (or whoever they are using) might be out for a whack of own zone draws, but it isn’t as bad as it looks, because Nash and Havlat are eating up a lot of the other badness, good opp and coming over the boards when the team has been penned in their own all al shift, that sort of thing.

Just putting them both up side by side seems fairest, let people draw their own conclusions. We see the Oilers play enough that we should know he context pretty well.

17. Vic Ferrari says:

quain:

D’oh, so by back of a cigarette pack calcs it should be about -.5 or -.6 expected worse corsi for every extra D zone draw.

In an equally hokey but completely different way, you can keep tweaking the corsi for everyone in the league based on faceoff zones until there is no correlation between the two. I think you get a number in the -.75 range. Though that’s dodgy methodology to start, and it’s probably capturing some of the truth that guys who take a lot of own zone draws often are good puck possession players, so they play against good opp too.

As I say, it’s probably best just to leave them both as simple and pure measures.

18. Vic Ferrari says:

Tyler

It looks like the underlying numbers have improved, especially Kane and Toews, but the shooting percentage went from great to crap.

Fun fact: At even strength in 2009 the shooting percentage when Patrick Kane is on the ice is an abysmal 3.3%

Damn, I’d need to run a CAT scan and a battery of psychological tests to be certain, but I suspect he’s done as an offensive force for the Blackhawks. Probably a delayed reaction to the trauma of the Savard firing, and he’ll need to be traded to find his fire again.

19. Ribs says:

Temujin – Interesting card. It looks like he still thinks he’s playing with the Bruins. He appears to be sitting on Boston’s bench! Caveman photoshopping?

20. oilerdago says:

Surprising that so far, no one’s picking up on the starting goaltender for tonite.

While I really think this is a game that screams for JDD to start (3 in 4 nites), Chi has been struggling of late.

Would not be surprised if MacT is tempted to play “Methuselah” because they seem to be getting on a roll, he was not overworked last night and he thinks he can steal 1 or 2 points in this game.

//Most importantly – Penner on the fourth line is a waste. That simple.//

It isn’t the fourth line. It is line for defensive zone faceoffs. It is a line for Penner to work his magic on all of Moreau’s horrible advanced statistics (Corsi, scoring chances) Plus, MacT is using Penner on the powerplay.

O’Sullivan has looked okay with Horc and Hmesky.

22. Tyler says:

If I’m reading this right, we’re down to two years where the Oil own JDD’s rights after this. Keeping him in the NHL at the expense of having a backup that the coach will use is, on sheer goofiness, one of the weirdest decisions of the year.

23. quain says:

It isn’t the fourth line. It is line for defensive zone faceoffs.

That was originally what I thought too, but I checked the faceoffs for the 27-51-18 line and they’ve had fourteen more in the offensive zone than the defensive zone (8/22). I don’t mind having 27 in the bottom six at all, but the lines seem oddly constructed if there’s a plan to have a bottom six soft and tough minute line.

24. quain says:

Also: thanks for the explanation Vic.

25. Lord Bob says:

Dan Tencer is reporting that not only are the Oilers are starting Roloson, the Blackhawks are also starting Roloson as MacTavish thinks Roloson “improves the more he works”.

26. Coach pb9617 says:

Most importantly – Penner on the fourth line is a waste. That simple.

It’s not a fourth line. It’s a second line in ice time and it’s now spending more time in the ozone that dzone.

I said when that line was created that the coach was going to force himself to play his most hated because he paired him with his cuddlepal, and it’s happening. It’s also changing Brodziak’s role as well.

27. bookie says:

Uhh, Helllllooooo, Robbie Shcremp has worn those silks, so I think you mean the second greatest player…

28. Scott says:

NHL goaltending, 03/04 season, rust vs rest.

Days Rest — Save%
    0 — 0.916
    1 — 0.911
    2 — 0.911
    3 — 0.909
    4 — 0.907
    5+ — 0.903

As Tyler mentioned a lot of this may have to do with goaltender quality. Is it easy for you to throw up this same chart for goalies that have played 50+ games?

29. jon k says:

dubya: If I stay home for the game I’ll post any feeds I find.

Most importantly – Penner on the fourth line is a waste. That simple.

Last night's top 6 TOI for forwards:

Horcoff 17:22
    Penner 17:20
    Pisani 16:39
    Moreau 16:16
    Brodziak 16:05
    Hemsky 15:05

Hemksy sat most of the 3rd too. (still think he has a wrist injury)

Penner isn't on the 4th line.

He's on the second line that playing either toughs or secondary toughs.

27 is also on #1 powerplay.

I like 27 with 10 & 83, but I don't think MacTavish is "wasting him on the 4th"

Playing him with 51 & 18, you could make the argument that he one of "MacTavish's boys"

:-O

31. quain says:

I think we should make all of our assumptions from a one game sample from now on. Especially if that one game sample is an 8-1 romp.

Oilers are finishing the season with a +574 goal differential, book it!

32. Black Gold says:

Why stop there, quain?

I’m going on one period sample sizes.

specifically last night’s third.
    44 is about to go on a tear, but that’s nothing compared to what the math says 89 and 21 are about to unleash. :)

33. knighttown says:

@Woodguy

Last night's top 6 TOI for forwards:

Horcoff 17:22
    Penner 17:20
    Pisani 16:39
    Moreau 16:16
    Brodziak 16:05
    Hemsky 15:05

Hemksy sat most of the 3rd too. (still think he has a wrist injury)

Penner isn't on the 4th line.

He's on the second line that playing either toughs or secondary toughs.

27 is also on #1 powerplay.

I like 27 with 10 & 83, but I don't think MacTavish is "wasting him on the 4th"

You can’t take too much from last nights TOI. The first line didn’t take a shift after the 14 minute mark and had 4 minutes, 3 minutes and 2+ minutes for 10, 19 and 83 respectively. Seemed like a classic case of throwing the 4th line out there over and over in a blowout.

They played well and it might lead to more ice but at this point, if you were make a depth chart it would be:

10-19-83
    89-12-21
    51-27-18
    13-34-85

34. hunter1909 says:

Okay as you all know I rarely make predictions, but for tonight I’m willing to stick out my neck – Hawks die.

35. Dennis says:

I”m sure someone can look this up but the 89 line was playing fuck-all until the third period – and then 10′s line got shelved after the rout was on.

But I think in terms of EVTOI we’re looking at a pecking order of 10-51 and then 13/89 being interchangeable.

MacT will probably lean on 89′s line when he needs a goal and he’ll lean on 13′s goal when he wants to lose a faceoff.

Vic: you are most likely on the trolley when it comes to how Q will match. You’ll see Ladd-Bolland-Havlat vs 19-10-83 and most likely Brouwer-Toews-Kane will go against 89 or 13. The other two lines for the Hawks are Versteeg-Pahlsson-Byufgline and Frasier-Eager-Burish.

Keith-Seabrook, Campbell-Barker are the top two pairings.

36. bookie says:

Oilers are finishing the season with a +574 goal differential, book it!

That is pretty much the logic we all work with here. A week ago, we were pretty much ready to put together a lynch mob for the team and now we seem to be planning the parade route.

I personally am a traditionalist and think we should have the parade downtown!

37. Cory Klein says:

Keith-Seabrook, Campbell-Barker are the top two pairings.

Is this recent? Last game vs. Chicago, Campbell was paired with Walker

38. mc79hockey says:

Some of you might. Lots of don’t.

39. Rod says:

Even as a Horpensky booster, I can’t really complain about how Penner is being used right now. Keeping 27 off the PP would be grounds for sure, but O’Sullivan looks good. Really good. May as well see what develops with 19-10-83.

Right now the only kink in the plan is the Cogliano line. Pouliot in place of Reddox would help in the O-zone, but more importantly, on the dot. Cogliano obviously needs to practice faceoffs a ton. In-game is not that time though. Not with his numbers anyway. With the current lines, and a +78-85 switch, have 78 take the draws, with 34 on deck.

40. Schitzo says:

Cogliano obviously needs to practice faceoffs a ton

Man, I can’t believe they haven’t thought of that!

That was snarky, but lets get serious. Hard work will only get you so far, to some extent faceoffs cannot be taught.

41. quain says:

That’s not fair Schitzo. They don’t have much time to practice things like faceoffs in between maintaining their exceptional special teams.

42. rickibear says:

With the current lines, and a +27-85 switch, have 27 take the draws, with 34 on deck. 78 fills in for 27 on fourth line.

Fixed.

43. Rod says:

@rickibear: Yeah, Penner is good enough on draws to take that responsibility if lined up with Cogliano. Problem is, to fix one line for draws, it breaks up another one that should be reliable defensively.

Maybe the icetime from the last game has coloured my view, but 18-51-27 doesn’t strike me as a small minute 4th line. Add in the PP, and 27 will still get a decent amount of ice without flipping to the “3rd”.

From another angle, even with 27 taking draws for 13, that line won’t be selected for D-zone faceoffs. Brodziak, Moreau, and Penner could be tapped by the coach. Plus, 27 would be good enough as the “alternate” in case 51 gets thrown out that 10 could get a breather. Take 27 away from 51, and 10 probably has to join him on for Dzone draws.

All of that said, I get your point. In replacing 85, 27 would be a bigger improvement over 78.

44. gogliano says:

Some big help on the OOT scoreboard if NJ can hold on to a 3 goal lead.

45. MDOilFan says:

Jagr to Oilers was indeed true.

46. oilerdago says:

The Fat Man!

47. Bruce says:

Yeah, Penner!

Thanks Jon, I wouldn’t have seen that goal without your timely post (my request for a feed was in the “edit” stage and there, like magic, was the answer.

48. rider guy says:

penner, you magnificent fat bastard!!!

49. Bruce says:

Boy, was that a whole big dose of what this team needs.
    –A powerplay goal from the first unit.
    –A goal of any type from Penner, and a PP deflection works just fine to that end.
    –An assist from Hemsky, who had just 1 EV assist and 1 PP assist in the last 14 games (the third was an empty netter). Beauty rush and pass.
    – Great play by Grebs too. That was sweet to watch.

50. Coach pb9617 says:

At least Gagner is on fire, because Hemmer is the other thing.

51. Bruce says:

And like that, a brutal turnover by Hemsky at out blueline, and it’s 1-1. Sigh.

52. oilerdago says:

Let’s see how they respond to this one.

53. oilerdago says:

Cogs!

54. jon k says:

Bruce: No problems. I’ve found a few places to check for feeds since I don’t have cable anymore. I’ll try to make a habit of posting them here when I can find them.

55. Bruce says:

Jon: Appreciate it. I’d rather put my $15.95 towards a bottle of Bushmills.

Great goal by Cogs, wow what a finish. LT, in response to your earlier comment about Duncan Keith being perfect, he’s not. He’s susceptible to being burned for breakaways, Horcoff and Hemsky got behind him in Edmonton and Cogs did there. I’ve seen the same thing on a few replay packages lately too. That said, he’s a beauty player, one of my favourites. But he’s not quite perfect.

56. Bruce says:

Terrific play by Staios there.

57. Bruce says:

Shit, there goes the feed.

58. oilerdago says:

You could feel that coming the way they’ve played since the PK. Lost all their mo.

59. B.C.B. says:

we are lucky to be tied. We spent most of the period unable to get out of our own.

60. Coach pb9617 says:

Dear god why do they ice the puck with Cogliano on the ice?

Ole 25% Cogliano is good as gold.

61. Bruce says:

Two beauty goals, though.

62. Black Gold says:

I missed most of the period, would it be tied w/ JDD in net?

63. Bruce says:

Is that what happened? Icing, lost faceoff, goal? I lost the feed. I did notice on the game sheet the same six guys were on the ice for both the 2-1 and 2-2 goals.

MacT’s insistence on using Cogliano on the dot is one of the most puzzling things he’s done all year, which is saying a mouthful.

64. quain says:

I think it would be cool to watch this team if Hemsky and the rest of the team could all click at the same time.

Hawks played fast and loose that period (and I agree Bruce, Keith was burned in that period).

Oilers could win this game, but lordy they have some nice things in Chicago. I wish the Intra-League draft was still around, gives a chance to a weaker team and plucks someone from this side.

They have mounds of good players.

66. R3dm3n8c3 says:

Hemsky hasn’t been good for a while, is there any word on an injury or something?

He’s a turn over machine as of late.

67. quain says:

I forced the fiance to put on her Hemsky jersey, which she normally refuses to wear on the grounds of “I don’t want to get it dirty.” If that’s not a slump buster, nothing is.

68. Dennis says:

I think it’s a great idea to let 13 take faceoffs. You can’t win while rebuilding unless A: the kids are superlative or B: you at least have some vets to do some of the little things to help you along the way: faceoff or PK or whatnot.

Chances: 5-10: 4-8 EV; 1-2 ST

Wow, Gene asking real questions!

69. Quinn says:

Anyone heard any justification of Roli playing tonight? I just got here

70. Black Gold says:

Roli is actually a robot.
    (shh.. dont tell anyone)

71. Quinn says:

ooohhhh

72. Bruce says:

LT: I watch Keith pretty closely cuz I’ve had him in my keeper league pool the last two years (and obviously noticed him even before that). He is a wonderful player, a highly-mobile defender with superb anticipation and an enviable all-ice game. He makes my Olympic team all day long. Would think long and hard about his regular partner as well (Seabrook).

Campbell, not so much. Talented, but too erratic. I know him well also (same pool, many years on my team). He’s posted a not-so-nifty -11 in the past 7 games. The good news, Hawks fans, is that his $7.1 MM cap hit has only 7 more years to run.

73. Bruce says:

Quain: MacT is a one-goalie coach and will ride the horse until he drops (see: Garon last year). If he wavers towards the side of common sense, Roli will tell him “Coach I wanna play” and that’ll sway him every time.

The day of the Garon deal I set the over-under on JDD at 3.5 starts and took the “under”. It still sits at Zero.

74. bookie says:

Roli didn’t work hard and is playing without almost any practice time. He probably is spending less time on the ice than most goalies, but has managed to stay sharp. I think we all owe Pete Peeters an appology – He has made Roli a machine somehow (as previously indicated). Maybe its a clone thing?

75. Bruce says:

Hemsky line in chase mode again. Ladd-Bolland-Versteeg were all over them, and not for the first time.

76. Quinn says:

Nilsson did well to shake off that check and nearly pick up the rebound at the other end.

77. Bruce says:

See, even the Hawks commentators know Stortini should be out there instead of Reddox.

78. Bruce says:

You used to be able to take Nilsson the Elder right out of a game with a hit like that. Not that you could catch him very often.

79. oilerdago says:

The Fat Man Strikes Again!?

80. uni says:

Wow, didn’t even know how that went in till the replay. Penner!

81. Quinn says:

That’s good.

82. Bruce says:

Weird bounce.

83. bookie says:

Did Penner touch it?

84. Bruce says:

Penner causing more havoc in the crease area. Dustin’s bringin’ it tonight.

85. bookie says:

Yes, Penner’s Goal regardless of whether he touched it or not.

86. Bruce says:

They’re giving it to Moreau. That’s almost as flukey as the one he got the last Hawks’ game, when he bounced it off of two Hawks’ heads and into the net. Whatever, whoever, we’ll take it.

87. uni says:

This has been MacT’s plan all along. Keep beating on him, taunting him, benching him, riling him up…letting his resent build and build, and when he’s about to explode, let him loose for the last 10 games to win them a playoff spot.

88. uni says:

Oddy Penner doesn’t look any meaner though =).

89. oilerdago says:

Moreau scores in back to back games.

What’s he going to stupid later on to even things out?

90. bookie says:

Penner mentioned that he feels more comfortable in a secondary role (outside of spotlight). Perhaps this is a good role for him… He may drag Moreau along

91. Bruce says:

I would score it Penner unassisted. It was an own goal, caused by his crease-crashing ways.

92. oilerdago says:

Oh no.

93. bookie says:

WHAT IS GOING ON?

94. B.C.B. says:

Roli better be faking this

95. Quinn says:

So now shoulder checks are out? That’s a penalty?

96. bookie says:

Smid 2 minutews for Elbowing Rolison?

97. Bruce says:

@#$%&^*(^%$!@#$%^*(&**!!!

98. bookie says:

That 3.5 over under for JDD may turn out to be a bad bet yet…

99. Mr DeBakey says:

OT

Riley Nash just scored for
    The Big Red
    Tied the semi-final against
    Princeton
    3-3
    with 24.5 seconds left.

Game into Overtime on NHL Network

100. uni says:

That’s not a hook, but I still don’t see the penalty.

101. Quinn says:

Bad ref karma again! Who did what to which ref to earn us these kinds of penalties? Seriously, goat sacrifice may be called for.

102. bookie says:

I think the back ref was calling Smid, then realized that the front ref was WAY closer and then to try not to look like an ass, he just picked an Oiler away from the play to give a penalty.

103. Bruce says:

For crissakes, the one game everybody agrees that Roli should get off, MacT rolls with him and this happens?

I think he’s going to (try to) stay in the game, but if he’s hurting in any sort of serious way, we’re screwed.

104. uni says:

How about referee sacrifice Quain? WTF was that call about?

105. bookie says:

During Intermission they will just replace ROli’s arm or put another Clone in for him!

106. oilerdago says:

Best PK I’ve seen all season.

107. Temujin says:

Edmonton Oilers: Securing fourth place for the Vancouver Canucks since March 20, 2009.

Goilers! Clap Clap!

108. bookie says:

looks like Gags did take a penalty….hmmm, sorry ref?

109. Quinn says:

Part of being a fan is never having to say you’re sorry.

110. oilerdago says:

//Part of being a fan is never having to say you’re sorry.//

Beer that man.

111. B.C.B. says:

sore sholder, throwing his mask off, lipping off the refs . . . got to love Roli. Why were we cheer for Garon?

112. Quinn says:

Just love watching Smid level people.

113. bookie says:

Why were we cheer for Garon?

I ask myself that all the time. I sometimes wonder:

“Why were we watch Oilers suck when they. Then tonight see I game why they not so bad”

114. uni says:

I never remember Havlat being that ornery when he was a Sen. Dude was all over Gilbert there.

115. jon k says:

Is it just me or are the Hawks getting away with some calls?

Havlat came into the board battle elbow first there. If the first call of the game against the Oilers was a penalty, it’s hard to justify that not being one.

116. uni says:

Also bookie, the alkiehol will do strange things to a man’s power of speech.

117. B.C.B. says:

this game sucks, we have been playing the trap when ever we have the lead, and this 4on4 sucked= they looked like they where on the power play.

118. Lord Bob says:

Toot tooooot! All aboard the Overtime Loss Express!

119. oilerdago says:

Gagner!!!

120. uni says:

GAGNER! What a goal!

121. jon k says:

That pass by Gilbert makes up for his poor play that led to the last goal. Sort of. He looks tired tonight.

122. Lord Bob says:

For those watching the Chicago Comcast feed of the game, they may have notied the Hawks announcers praising the penalty that the Hawks took to eliminate their powerplay on the grounds that… you guessed it… aggressive penalties are easier to kill.

I guess not.

123. Quinn says:

I go up to put the kids to bed and TWO goals get scored? These are not the Oilers I cursed all year.

124. boopronger says:

What a pass by Nilson. Took everything out of him as he ended up on his knees haha.

125. jon k says:

Nilsson is getting credited with the assist. Either my eyes or the fuzzy online feed deceive me.

126. Bruce says:

Meanwhile, Brodeur with his 101st shutout, a 35-save whitewash of the Wild.

127. Bruce says:

Looks like Gagner and Nilsson have got their groove back. Next up: Hemsky and Horcoff.

128. quain says:

The zamboni just screwed the girl in the ugly hat on the Comcast feed.

129. uni says:

Hemsky and Horcoff hopefully followed by O’Sullivan getting comfortable and consistent, and Kotalik getting his groove back. If Penner and Cogs keep going, 3 likes that can score and a bugger of an energy 4th would go a very long way.

130. Coach pb9617 says:

I might be biased slightly and recalling his best, but is there a better long-distance passer than Nilsson?

He’s made a bunch of beauties this year, including a cross-rink backhander for a one time.

Also, Cogs, 1-6 tonight. Please end this.

131. uni says:

Likes = Lines

I need to stop taking advantage of beer Fridays if I’m going to continue at home. Makes me too chatty and with my laptop nearby everyone suffers.

132. Coach pb9617 says:

It was most certainly Nilsson, from a knee, 155 feet Gagner waiting on it like Clemente waiting to basket catch a fly ball.

Bruce – did you notice the bloop headman from Gagner earlier. Had backspin on it and crossed the dman up.

133. Bruce says:

Wow. Nash robbed of the winner three different times in about three seconds. Fantastic sequence by the goalie, one of the best I’ve seen in any league all season.

134. Bruce says:

Coach: Didn’t see it. Lost the feed a couple times and my other computer died at one point. Thx for description.

Btw, on the Roli injury play, others must have noticed Strudwick gambling way up ice and getting burned, leaving Smid alone to ccover Havlat and another Hawk on the 2-on-1. Have no idea what Jason thought he was doing there, but I want him thinking defence first, last and always when he’s trapped out against the likes of Martin Havlat.

135. Lord Bob says:

Stop letting Cogliano take faceoffs.

Stop letting Cogliano tace faceoffs.

Stop letting Cogliano take faceoffs!

136. Lord Bob says:

Seriously, Tambellini! I was a pretty good dot man once upon a time! Sign me to take a draw and then skate like hell for the bench so Cogliano can get on! I’ll work cheap!

137. Quinn says:

Lord Bob,

what was that again?

138. Coach pb9617 says:

The NHL should really investigate this slanted ice in Chicago. That can’t be legal.

139. Bruce says:

19-10-83 pwned again. They can’t get of their own end.

140. Bruce says:

Havlat is on fire in this game. What a goal.

141. uni says:

Havlat’s just always been good, but I’ve disliked him since he was a Sen. and I have an unnatural hatred of that team. Helluva player though.

142. Coach pb9617 says:

19-10-83 pwned again. They can’t get of their own end.

Can’t drive without a bus.

Stop letting Cogliano take faceoffs!

Last 13 gms 39W 110L 26%
    Last 7 gms 14W 57L 20%

143. Quinn says:

Soooo, if Reddox is concussed, does that mean he goes to the top line next game?

144. oilerdago says:

Absolute cheap shot by Ben Eager.

145. Jonathan Willis says:

Ben Eager’s a piece of garbage, but then again Liam Reddox shouldn’t have been admiring his pass either.

146. Bruce says:

After all the cheap f@#$ing bullshit they’ve called on the Oilers tonight, a headshot from behind 100 feet form the puck is no problem? Come on zebras, you’re freakin’ terrible.

147. Lord Bob says:

Quinn: I was more thinking he could coach.

148. jon k says:

That was very, very late.

The reffing in this game continues to make me suspicious.

149. Quinn says:

Crossword question: What galaxy is Krypton in?

Awww, Hemsky.

150. Lord Bob says:

Now Andrew Ladd leaves his feet to hit Grebeshkov. But no, the NHL doesn’t have an officiating problem.

151. Jonathan Willis says:

Is it wrong that I want some blood?

152. Quinn says:

JW, only if you are in an Anne Rice novel.

153. Jonathan Willis says:

Seriously!?!

154. jon k says:

And the bullshit reffing continues.

155. Lord Bob says:

Okay, I am moderating my voice for Lowetide’s children. This is horse offal.

Jesus.

157. B.C.B. says:

that was a stick check . . . can Katz pay the refs better?

158. Henry says:

I think Eagers chin should meet Souray’s wrist guard a few times.

159. oilerdago says:

Roli!!!

160. Bruce says:

Stick that in your ass and smoke it, ref.

161. Black Gold says:

Roloson is my favourite robot. :)
    Huge save.

162. jon k says:

Lord Bob: Nice Anne Rice theme continuation.

163. Bruce says:

Buff-buffer-uffer-fering

164. Jonathan Willis says:

If Dustin Penner really wants to move up the depth chart, tonight would be a nice night to show Ben Eager the “Landon Wilson treatment”.

165. oilerdago says:

Religon last nite, Ann Rice novels tonite, not sure what to expect Sunday…

166. Lord Bob says:

Jonathan: I once read that the piece of advice Gordie Howe gave to every young player that came his way was to, once or twice a year, pick a game and just go medieval on some poor schmuck at centre ice. The canonical example comes from the WHA when Howe speared a guy in the guy so hard his stick telescoped on itself.

Penner could use a little bit of that.

167. Quinn says:

Oh my spleen

168. Temujin says:

Come on Oilers. Don’t let this go to OT

169. Quinn says:

Don’t say that Temujin, they may let it in to spite you.

170. Quinn says:

Where’s our penalty shot? Hmmmmm

171. oilerdago says:

About time they called one on Chicago. Shut your mouth Quenville.

172. Bruce says:

For crying out loud Hemsky, that is the worst play you could possibly make there. 4 on 2 and pass it behind everybody, in the last minute of a tie game? Grow a brain, man.

173. Temujin says:

Q: Oh God, Havlat scares me

PP Oilers!!!! Come on Oil!

174. Lord Bob says:

Can I get a “here we go, OT loss, here we go!” chant going?

175. Temujin says:

The Hawks must not get another point.

Somebody call upon the Power of Ales.

176. Quinn says:

//Can I get a “here we go, OT loss, here we go!” chant going?//

New complicated chant champ

177. Black Gold says:

Penner just take the opening faceoff?
    Thats awesome.

1. Cornell wins
    2. Oilers need this extra point.
    3. If MacT was punishing Hemsky, it was deserved
    4. Score dammit.

179. Lord Bob says:

In the words of Homer Simpson, “hurry up and lose, you losers!”

180. Bruce says:

Shit. When we take a penalty in OT it’s automatic, game over. But when we get the PP, it’s a whole ‘ther story.

181. Temujin says:

Worst PP, or Worstest PP?

182. jon k says:

Horcoff has had a very poor game.

183. Quinn says:

Honestly, this team wants to take years off its fans’ lives. Either through heart failure or liver cirrhosis.

184. quain says:

I’m confused, are you allowed to use your forearm to knock down guys away from the puck now? Did I miss that rule update?

185. mc79hockey says:

I assume the Horcoff stuff is about the brutal clears. Are the boards deader in Chicago than Edmonton maybe? He did it twice in about 30 seconds.

186. Temujin says:

Kotalik is a shootout master, apparently

Tyler: Yeah, I saw that. iirc it was at the end of a super-long shift but could be wrong. It’s been a long time since I was any kind of reasonable about 10 but he’s done some nice things to my eye tonight.

Plus some gaffes, but then again when you’re playing this much….

188. Quinn says:

Sully!

189. Lord Bob says:

Sleek move by Marty Reasoner’s Little Brother. Really slick shot from a pretty tight angle.

Roloson looks a bit uncomfortable after stopping Kane. MacTavish will put in Ethan Moreau as his backup goalie.

190. Temujin says:

I think you’re going to like that Sully kid in Edm :-)

191. oilerdago says:

Oilers Win!!!

192. Quinn says:

Group hug!

193. Bruce says:

MC: Nope, mine was about the brutal pass towards his own net that went right on the stick of a Chicago guy. Back pass, you got to be 100% sure. That’s a rookie mistake, and a bad one.

Quain: Havlat was thowing his weight around away from the puck a few times tonight. No problem.

And who cares now, cuz WE WON!!!

194. Lord Bob says:

(clap clap)

195. Julian says:

Woop! Roloson is a friggen machine. Of the robotic, non-wearing-down type.

196. gary b says:

whatta game!

Roli is god. somebody get that man an iron lung or something.

197. Temujin says:

Kotalik = so GOD

198. Quinn says:

gary b, don’t you mean that Roli eats iron lungs for breakfast?

Newer Comments »