Oilers at Leafs, G65/08-09

The best player I ever saw skate for the Leafs was this man, Dave Keon. If you look at his stats and never saw him play it might be a mystery.

Dave Keon was an amazing skater, and because of it was a splendid forechecker and an out-of-this-world penalty killer. On April 13, 1963 Dave Keon became the first player to score two shorthanded goals in a playoff game.

Keon had an amazing backhand and could pass and make a pass on the fly with stunning consistency. He was, in many ways, the perfect player.

I always loved to watch Keon penalty kill. He was so fast and read plays so well that teams often had a terrible time getting out of their own end. Keon was also textbook when it came to bodychecking. A small player (even for his era), Keon completed his checks and made certain that the passer was not an available option for those very important seconds after a pass. I remember seeing him do that to both defenders on the penalty kill and still being able to get back in time to make plays in his own zone.

He was a beauty.
Andrew Cogliano has many of the qualities Keon possessed: wonderful foot speed, an ability to read plays and he’s a fine passer too. I don’t know Cogliano’s “hockey IQ” but do know the Oilers measure intelligence in drafting and that Cogliano is one of the “off the charts” fellows (along with Gagner and a couple of others).

I’ve felt for a long time that Cogliano will belong to the “Dave Keon-Ralph Backstrom-Butch Goring” family of undersized centers who have a wide range of skills. This season has been difficult for him and his secondary numbers are not progressing as we had all hoped they would during his second season.

As a rookie, Cogliano improved markedly on his boxcars from the first to second half:

• First 41: 7-12-19 (.463) -6
  • Second 41: 11-15-26 (.634) +7

His 5×5/60 point total was 2.28 and Desjardins estimated that during Cogliano’s rookie season he was a -11.7 Corsi while playing softer opposition with secondary linemates. His GF/GA ON a year ago was 41-42.

This year he’s not showing the same trends in the second half:

• First 41: 12-10-22 (.537) -1
  • Second 23: 3-7-10 (.435) -4

Cogliano’s 5×5/60 is down (1.78) but not a disaster, his Corsi has improved to -3.5 and it looks to me like he’s batting in the same spot in the order as we was a year ago (in terms of toughness and linemates). Cogliano’s 5×5/60 GF/GA ON is 27-28 this season.

I think he’s made a little progress and he is most certainly a valuable young player. I do believe the Oilers should use him (as Keon was used) as a prime penalty killing option for this team. It should be a role he can fill easily and that will have an impact on Shawn Horcoff’s minutes. However, the trade for Patrick O’Sullivan seems to have been (partly) designed to take those Horcoff PK minutes, so perhaps there’s something we’re not seeing from this end in regard to Cogs on the PK.

There’s also a few chapters to write in this season and Cogliano has been the most consistent of the young guns. Should he get hot (as Sam Gagner appears to be doing now) we may be able to begin slotting him in somewhere along the axis of the Dave Keon family.

And that is a helluva family of hockey players.

245 Responses to "Oilers at Leafs, G65/08-09"

Newer Comments »
  1. HBomb says:

Lowetide: Quick question – when Desjardins expresses Corsi on his site, is it in decimal form because he’s taken the time to express it in terms of /60?

That’s what I assume it means, but being the rigorous individual I am, if five years of engineering classes at university taught me anything, don’t assume unless you have to.

2. hunter1909 says:

I thought it took 4 years to become an engineer.

3. HBomb says:

hunter: Technically, yes, but I did the co-op program where you toss in 20 months of (paid) work experience.

School financed itself, in other words.

HBomb: Excellent question. I believe the answer is no because if it was he would list it as Corsi/60. If it was per game Penner would be almost 9 to the good every game and I don’t think it’s the case.

A bigger point you may be making is that it should be expressed that way and I’d agree completely.

5. Scott says:

Firstly LT, I don’t think I thank you often enough for your posts. So, thank you!

Then what is it expressing? I think it must be per/60 since when yout take a real outshooting team like the Flames, you see Glencross at 16.7. That’s definitely too high for a per game rate, but there’s just no way that he’s only +17 in the Corsi department.

With regard to Cogliano, it would be really nice if we had access to the historical “context” numbers (Corsi, faceoffs…) so that we could compare how long it usually takes players from the Keon family to move into taking on the tough assignments and then how long it takes before they’re successful. It looks like Keon established his offense at age 21 and Goring did at age 23 but it’s difficult to use that as a measure of defensive success. Do you have any “saw him good” reports on those guys that might suggest when they reached the point of taking the tough minutes?

6. HBomb says:

Lowetide: well I tried to find a definition on the Corsi rating that’s being used on Gabe’s site, and I couldn’t find one.

Might be a good question for the management over there.

But yes, everything should be normalized for ice-time. Levels the playing field, so to speak.

7. HBomb says:

Ok guys, I did a quick Google search and according to this article, the metric being expressed on Behind The Net are indeed the Corsi per 60 minutes of 5-on-5 icetime.

8. Hawerchuk says:

hi – it looks like you guys found the answer. Corsi is indeed /60 minutes of TOI (and Dustin Penner does come out that high.) Thanks, btw, to Vic Ferrari who pointed out that I had blocks swapped for a long time (ie – players were getting credited for their own team’s blocks instead of the other way around).

9. Steve says:

I thought it took 4 years to become an engineer.

What’s the saying? “U of A Engineering can be the worst four years of your life, or the best seven”?

Gabriel: Thanks, appreciated.

And then to another point: what in the h-e-double hockey sticks is going on with MacT in regard to Penner?

Jeebus people, the guy is having a pretty damn good season and he is not playing against the soft parade doing it.

This has to be something personal.

11. HBomb says:

Steve: Dead on with that saying, and I know guys who dragged it out to seven.

Lowetide: It’s because Penner’s fat.

TSN’s game story has a picture of the undeserving recipient of the 2008 Masterton trophy, Jason Blake. I hope Souray catches that weasel with his head down tonight.

12. PunjabiOil says:

Apparently Smid has requested a trade 4 times.

If you have to sit him out, sit him out. The Oilers have to make a stance that they will not move him – if he wants to sit at home for the next 4 years – so be it.

13. Schitzo says:

In my mind, asking for a trade is not black and white. “My wife hates edmonton” is pretty shitty, but “boy we have a lot of defencemen” might be a valid issue if you’re stuck in the #6-7 role and it’s hurting your development.

Assuming the first request came before the Matt Greene trade, can we assume that was in part to clear up the logjam in the bottom 3?

14. Sean says:

Nice post LT! To my eye Cogliano has been much better in the last 10 games in limited ice time.

Interesting quote from Moreau at ON:

I think our skill, and not be negative, is overrated. Outside of Hemsky and Visnovsky were not tremendously skilled or talented. We don’t have guys who are 30 or even 20 goal scorers. I think the identity of our team has changed a lot, and try to shift to a more skilled, puck moving team, but that hasn’t translated to the offence that we thought it would. We have to find a way to get back to playing an energetic and more physical game.

This team has an identity problem…

15. Jon says:

Moreau had an excellent interview with Gregor yesterday and he outlined exactly what I think is wrong with the Oilers.

-he said the team is in transition from an aggressive hard working team to a skilled puck moving team, but that they do not have enough truly skilled players to perform.

-Then he outlined, for me, what has been the true problem with our offence this year. Moreau said:

“I think the problem lies in our forwards and our inability to forecheck and win battles and to provide offence that way.”

This is why our 4th line is so effective,they dump and chase and forecheck hard.

Our 1st thru 3rd lines try to dangle at the blueline and get pokechecked causing a 3 on 2 back on Rollie

This is MacT’s fault because he is clearly outlining the plays and has not noticed how ineffective our forecheck has been and he has not adapted.

16. NBOilerFan says:

Well… tonight is a very important game…. for me! All my closest friends are Leaf fans and I’m heading to a buddies house tonight to watch the game… we better dang well win!

I just got finished reading the Edm Sun… and I cannot friggin’ believe Robert Tychkowski is already taking shots at Kotalik. Its no damn wonder no players want to come here. My god… can we at least give these guys a few games before writing negativity.

What an a-hole.

17. Matt N says:

Check out this great read on franchise building by Ted Leonsis (Capitals owner).

18. HBomb says:

Sean: I’d agree that this team has an identity problem, but it starts with the guy who made that quote and his sidekick, Steady Decline Staios.

Get those two out of here, ASAP, I say. Let Souray and Horcoff lead the team, and give Smid an increased role. And then go from there.

You need a variety of skills from players, it can’t be all or nothing. Even the great Oilers teams of the 1980s had plenty of sandpaper and guys who weren’t around for their offense.

And I don’t remember the last time Edmonton had two scoring lines for an entire season so whatever the experiment can we at least continue it until that happens?

Frick Moreau. Are you TRYING to piss off the masses?

20. Schitzo says:

In one sense, Moreau is right. Our skill guys haven’t been good enough to get away with playing a pure skill game.

But at the same time, he sounds like an old man who’s mad at those dang kids and their rap music. Definitely detect some resentment at the paydays for the younger kids.

This from Ted’s list:

No jerks allowed. Implement a no jerk policy. Draft and develop and keep high character people. Team chemistry is vital to success. Make sure the best and highest paid players are coachable, show respect to the system, want to be in the city, love to welcome new, young players to the team, have respect for the fan base, show joy in their occupation, get the system, believe in the coaches, have fun in practice, and want to be gym rats. Dump quickly distractions. Life is too short to drink bad wine.

22. HBomb says:

Schitzo: I personally think Moreau’s being hypocritical.

How many times this year has he tried to take the puck and “do it all himself”? He’s just as guilty as what he’s saying as anyone else.

And then, when he goes to play tough, he takes stupid penalties. The guy is a waste of icetime.

23. Schitzo says:

Schitzo: I personally think Moreau’s being hypocritical.

I don’t know about hypocritical, because even when he’s doing it all himself he’s crashing the net.

It was definitely self-serving, though. A guy who’s made his living on crash-and-bang forecheck claiming it was a bad idea to switch identities to a “skill team”? Really? I never would have guessed.

24. Traktor says:

Moreau is really something else.

- Our skill is overrated
    - We don’t have the ability to win battles and forecheck

Might be true but to say that stuff to the media is cancerous. The fact that he’s our “captain” saying that stuff is truly pathetic.

MacT thinks he’s the cats meow.

25. Schitzo says:

My favourite quote is this:

Sometimes it is hard to relate, but I also play offensively at times as well, so I can help them in that sense

The guy honestly believes he has advice to offer Gagner or Cogliano on scoring goals.

This would be more accurate

I also play offensively at times.

Yes Ethan. You sure do.

26. Matt N says:

Another from Teds List

8. Add veterans to the team via shorter term deals as free agents. Signing long-term, expensive deals for vets is very risky. We try to add vets to the mix for two year or three year deals. They fill in around our young core. They are very important for leadership, but they must complement the young core (NOT try to overtake them or be paid more than them). Identify and protect the core. Add veterans to complement them, not visa versa.

27. oilerdago says:

HBomb: Good point about Moreau. I can't remember the last time I saw him dump & chase. Have also seen where he can't even handle passes on a simple breakout (let alone all his dumb penalties).

Tonite is another one of these games against a team lower in the standings that the Oilers have found a way to lose this season.
    It's been a long time since the boys played a complete game and I wish someone, anyone would step up tonite and lead the way.

But I'm not holding my breath.

28. Lord Bob says:

So here’s the question.

Is Moreau arrogant, blind, stupid, or all three?

29. HBomb says:

Ethan Moreau’s play offends me.

Get rid of him, Staios and MacT, and I think next year will be a case of “addition by subtraction”.

Oh yeah, Penner for Frolov too, and sign Jay Bouwmeester.

30. HBomb says:

Lord Bob: All three.

31. Schitzo says:

Is Moreau arrogant, blind, stupid, or all three?

I’ll take arrogant with a side of selfish.

I think he knows exactly what’s happening – he doesn’t fit on this team any more, and so he says we should go bank to grinding. Which says a lot about what’s best for #18 but nothing about what’s best for the team.

32. Scott says:

At the risk of being an idiot, what is Ted’s list?

As for Moreau, his comments reflect a lack of self-awareness (seem to over-rate his own abilities) but he does have a point. The team really does need to do some more dump and chase forechecking on some nights and given the way this team has played in the past, I’d guess MacT would be fine with more of that and less carrying the puck dangerously over the blueline. This team doesn’t have any players that have scored thirty goals in the NHL even one time in a regular season. None. So I can see why Moreau would think they’re not suited to a “skill” game. They need to create more goals and they need to reduce the number of turnovers. It seems to me that a change in style that sees more dump and chase and less blueline tomfoolery may be a two birds with one stone situation.

33. Bruce says:

LT: Keon was indeed a beauty. Great, great penalty killer, one of the best I’ve ever seen. I actually saw the game where he scored the two shorties; I first started watching NHL hockey during those ’63 playoffs. (And haven’t stopped since!)

Good point about his great backhand too. In his later career Keon gained a measure of additional notority for maintaining a perfectly straight stick, while other stars were experimenting with the “banana blade”. It was curious to contrast Keon’s approach with that of a somewhat similar player, Stan Mikita, in that respect.

[begin old fuddy-duddy rant]
    The backhand shot has become underused over the decades since the curved stick came in vogue. A good one was/is a great weapon because the shooting motion gives the goalie little clue where the puck is heading. The goalie is inclined to guess, and that can end badly, as Roli discovered a couple times recently when he opened up against seeming stoppable backhands that went right through him (Sawada’s goal in Dallas, Legwand’s first in Nashville). These days, however, one sees even talented NHL snipers like Ales Hemsky who are either incapable or unwilling to try a backhand from anywhere outside the blue paint.
    [end old fuddy-duddy rant]

34. budorduke says:

Why Moreau is the captain of this team while Horc is making 5.5 mill, is much better with the media, has more skill, and is the perfect example of an ‘Oiler-type’ player rising through the ranks of the organization is absolutely beyond me. How many times must we watch Moreau charge into a scrum, wrap his arms around a guys neck and promptly flail to the ice on his back, without throwing a single swipe? How many bad penalties has he taken as opposed to literally all other players in the past twenty. Useless. Horc or Souray for captain. Trade Moreau and grab Reasoner back if we want a solid vet.

35. Bruce says:

More on Keon. He was a fantastic skater who not only read the play brilliantly as LT mentions, but seemed to take an angle of attack on the puck carrier where his skates were perpendicular to the outlet passing lane, and offest one behind the other so that any pass through Keon had to go through the full length of his two feet combined as well as his exceptionally quick stick. End result was a lot of passes didn’t make it through, and the opposition powerplay spent a lot of time going backwards to chase down deflected pucks or to reorganize the breakout to get around Keon.

36. relic says:

isn’t this case of where using stats to evaluate a team you watch play all the time can be misleading?

we know last year when cogs had a better second half he was with skill guys. after the kid line failed to click this year he’s been dragging around 18 on the left and a steady rotation on the right. I’d say his qualteam has declined.

37. kinger says:

I think Moreau is right. The guys that are counted on for just offense need to actually produce offense to help the team win games.

I guess it’s easy to pile on everyone’s favorite whipping boy.

38. Coach pb9617 says:

Interesting numbers:

The Oilers are the 13th best ES team in the league.

39. Coach pb9617 says:

You know that when an exceedingly bright hockey fan and someone that knows the Oilers inside and out, for instance Mr. Tide in this case, have become so biased against Penner that he refuses to believe the numbers in front of him, it’s over for Penner here. If LT looks at numbers and says “nah, Penner’s not good, that number is wrong”, imagine what the average lunkhead in the stands at Rexall thinks? Imagine what F.L. MacTavish thinks?

This has to be something personal.

THANK YOU! It’s about frickin’ time! Those numbers hold away from Hemsky and Horcoff.

Vic’s time on ice numbers (99 is Horpensky in this case) show Penner’s strengths. By the way – look at the 99 numbers here – that’s a ridiculous line by the numbers.

Scott’s compilation of Dennis’ scoring chances metrics show Penner’s strengths.

Gabriel’s ES numbers show how strong Penner has been this season.

Finally, Penner is ranked 14th at forward in the Northwest in total contribution by the guys at Hockeyanalysis.com. The list is below and I’ve tacked on Salary at the right.

Rk … Player … Contrib … Salary
    10 … DAYMOND LANGKOW … 2207.51 … 4,500,000
    11 … ANTTI MIETTINEN … 2182.73 … 2,333,333
    12 … RYAN KESLER … 2181.49 … 1,750,000
    13 … ALES HEMSKY … 2168.53 … 4,100,000
    14 … DUSTIN PENNER … 2155.31 … 4,250,000
    15 … PAVOL DEMITRA … 2136.88 … 4,000,000

Just for fun, those fifteen guys ranked by Corsi.

Player … Corsi
    SHAWN HORCOFF … 0.6
    MIKKO KOIVU … 0
    RYAN SMYTH … -2
    MILAN HEJDUK … -3.3
    ANTTI MIETTINEN … -3.7
    WOJTEK WOLSKI … -9.6

Not only is Penner a good player, not only is he performing extremely well — he’s actually covering Lowe’s bet. The reason that his boxcars don’t match? It’s plainly obvious that it’s the coach.

40. kris says:

Okay, regarding Moreau’s shitting all over his team.

First off, Moreau does have a point, in that the team can’t seem to figure out it’s identity: is the team a puck moving skill or a forchecking speed team?

However, his claim that the team isn’t skilled enough is both an exaggeration and a disgrace.

(I think LT’s post about Cogliano does a fantastic job explaining why this is an exageration. The skill on this team is young and therefore provides inconistent results. I seem to remember Hemsky struggled with consistency; of course, Moreau should know this.)

Now, even though Moreau’s comments are disgraceful and counterproductive -not too good for Gagner’s budding confidence- in the end, I’m glad he said it. I’m glad because there’s no way Tambellini, Lowe, and possibly even Katz aren’t pissed off with that comment. Moreau basically said MacT does a great job coaching these kids when they’ll listen, but this team that Tambellini and Lowe put together isn’t nearly as good as they told you it was. “The Oilers lied to you that this was a good team, now my boss is going to ask you for money for a new arena…”

In other words, Moreau just claimed that Lowe and Tambellini aren’t good at their jobs and have lied to the public.

Perhaps there’s a chance they’ll dump Moreau and MacT this offseason after all.

41. hunter1909 says:

I don’t want to dislike players who play for the OIlers, who over my lifetime have mostly been an ok bunch of dudes, who genuinely liked playing hockey for this particular team. Moreau does have a point, actually, other than for the fact that before he arrived, this team DID play a high puck possession offensive game.

If the 2009 Detroit Red Wings play the 1980′s Oilers, given the skill of both teams I’d imagine there wouldn’t be a lot of fighting, or vicious penalties taken other than those ones Glenn Anderson deserved, lol.

Seriously, I’d love to see a guy like Paul Coffey working for the organisation. Someone who understands what all this offensive stuff is about. No offence to the current crop of team custodians, but you really need someone from the past back who, like Yzerman in hockeytown, doesn’t have to raise his voice to impress the obviously talented young players we suddenly over the past 2-3 seasons have drafted and traded for.

It’s not Kevin Lowe’s team. It never was. And it never will be. In truth, he’s done a bloody fine job. Who else can get credit for getting us so many skilled young players? I’m actually glad he’s the president, since there’s probably no one else who qualifies today for the job.

What the Edmonton Oilers need is to return to their original blueprint, and the youngsters are in my opinion talented enough to return us to the glory.

42. Coach pb9617 says:

“I’m looking at the man in the mirror…”

I know JW will hate this, but it won’t happen while the current coach is there. He’s not about to unite skill lines – he keeps tacking shitacular grind guys on those lines to feel “comfortable”. That word is one that he’s used repeatedly over the years. It’s all about his comfort level with lineups and personnel.

Frick Moreau. Are you TRYING to piss off the masses?

He’s THE CAPTAIN. No way in hell anyone in the media in Western Canada will call him on it.

More evidence to what we’ve been suspecting all along, what’s been hinted at here and there by players, through meetings and lately Erik Cole.

The Horpensky line doesn’t need to do this — they can carry the puck in and hold it on the boards, down low or around the perimeter. The fourth line already does this — it’s their forte.

The coach has yet to structure either the second or the third line in such a way that they would be capable of doing this and it’s because he won’t move Cogliano to the wing, Brodziak up and Moreau down.

27-10-83 is fine
    21-89-19 can be a skill line that tries to beat up softies.
    13-51-34 would dump, chase, crash, bang and forecheck
    18-78-46 would do the same

Structure the team for success if you want success. Put two crash/bang lines together, let your first continue to outplay the other first line as they’ve done in the games you’ve allowed them to be together in the last two years and let a soft line play soft and skilled. Don’t play pin the tail on yourself and then complain when the team isn’t performing.

I remember years ago reading an Earl Weaver article about veterans who were playing in summer with no chance for the pennant. He talked about them being extremely difficult to manage and always worried about their impact on the kids.

And Earl brought along kids better than anyone I’ve ever seen.

44. Matt N says:

At the risk of being an idiot, what is Ted’s list?

I posted a link in an earlier comment in this thread. It’s just a breakdown on Ted Leonsis plan for building a franchise.

45. Coach pb9617 says:

How was Keon on the faceoff dot? How was he as a young lad? Did it come to him?

I think the combination of never starting a shift with the puck, dragging Moreau around the ice most of the year and never having a settled right wing has really hurt him. I harp on this, but kids need continuity with linemates as they develop unless they are incredibly singularly skilled to the point that they carry lines. It’s just the way it is. Constantly mixing things up is not good for kids.

Coligano was 39.5 last year, and 38.7 this year. I think an Adam Oates tutoring camp for Cogliano is in order.

46. HBomb says:

Poll question! I’m snowed in and not going anywhere today. Got Boston/Chicago on the tube (thank you NHL Centre Ice), and I’m cooking a ridiculous lunch of pork schnitzel, perogies, and Caesar salad.

12:15pm. Too early for a drink?

47. Scott says:

I don’t want to quote the whole thing, but that arrangement looks reasonable Coach. The best part is that with each line there is a distinct game plan and a distinct role that helps them to fit better into the team overall.

48. Coach pb9617 says:

12:15pm. Too early for a drink?

I had my first Smithwick’s at 11:21 this morning.

Of course, I’m coming off of consecutive 75+ hour weeks and two days in which I had a total of eight flights. I’m a little burned out, so drink with me.

The fact that you’ve asked it on this forum tells me there’s already at least one dead soldier. :-)

Answer: No, it’s after 12 noon so fill your boots.

50. HBomb says:

Lowetide: no dead soldiers, but there may have been vodka in that last glass of OJ.

Boston with two quick ones to make it 3-1. With that, it’s time for important decisions to be made – Corona or rum?

There may also be some Pilsner in the fridge today….

51. hunter1909 says:

Oilers have a decent owner, the best since Pocklington was running a string of successful businesses.

//The Oilers are the 13th best ES team in the league.//

The glass is half full. It was identified a long time ago that the main problem with this team (even with all the other issues) was special teams.

This is slam dunk playoff team if only it had average special teams.

Hunter: you need to add “on a shoe-string” to that sentence.

54. Icecastles says:

Listening to the pregame interview with MacT, he said that Toronto is going to come hard tonight.

That’s disgusting.

Okay, that’s about as intelligent as I can get right now. Back to watching kittens on youtube until the game.

55. hunter1909 says:

Lowetide: I’m a bigtime Peter Pocklington fan. I only remember Gretzky and Kurri playing live, and being so fucking good i thought I was watching angels so no point in watching too hard, because I had the Messier/Anderson/anyone line which played hockey on the mortal level, even if they were better than anyone else in the entire NHL.

Katz I like a lot, for 2009 he’s probably the very best possible owner(stable), but back in the days before I knew what hockey was that mad bastard won Edmonton immortality in an onflight backgammon game.

56. Jon says:

Don’t get me wrong…moreau crapping on the team is not a good thing for morale and is counterproductive.

However, do not disregard what he said because he is the flavour of the month for whipping boys.

Does this team have an identity problem? My answer would be yes. We used to be a hardworking, great PK, hard-hitting team. Now, I’m not sure what to classify us as.

Does this team forecheck, my answer would be no. Watch tonight how many times the puck is coughed up on the offensive blueline…it will drive you insane.

57. Icecastles says:

Jon: According to MacT today, we are a team that makes other teams come hard. That sounds about right.

58. HBomb says:

Boston scores an EN goal, looks like it will be a 5-3 final.

However, let me say that I might just have to start the “Duncan Keith for Team Canada 2010″ fan club. Damn, he’s good.

59. Traktor says:

I agree with the guy who brought up Cogliano’s QT.

It’s fairly obvious that Cogliano has had worse teammates on his line this year so all that suggesting otherwise does is hurt QT’s credibility.

60. HBomb says:

Oh, and Chicago looked good today even in a loss – imagine how good they’re going to be when Pahlsson joins the line-up and they get Patrick Sharp back.

They’re a threat to go deep folks. This year.

61. Schitzo says:

They’re a threat to go deep folks. This year.

LT can have Columbus, Chicago is definitely my plan-B team if the Oil aren’t it in.

62. Kara says:

As an Oiler fan moving to Toronto in a month– I pray to God we win this one– otherwise the Leafs-centric Ontario small town I currently live in will mock me until I’m gone… where I will be mocked even more.

63. B.C.B. says:

Kara, as a fellow Oiler’s fan in Southern Ontario, there is not much you can do about the mocking. But on the upside, most of it doesn’t make sense . . . mostly comments like “quit living in the 80′s” or “if players want to play in Edmonton, why did you move here?”.

That being said, if the Oilers lose tonight I am not showing my face for two days.

clap! clap!

64. Bank Shot says:

This is slam dunk playoff team if only it had average special teams.

I’m guessing that the Oilers are right near the top of the league in even strength save percentage. How are they going to replace that next season? Roloson won’t be back if he gets another offer after asking for a trade last season, and apparently moved his kids out of town.

Now we’re likely going to have Smid holding out from signing a new contract all summer in the hopes he gets an offer sheet. It’s just one thing after another with this club.

65. Bank Shot says:

This is slam dunk playoff team if only it had average special teams.

66. Kara says:

B.C.B – If we lose, I plan on shutting my phone off so as not to be bombarded by texts saying, ‘teh Oilers suxxx!!”

67. Black Dog says:

Now here is a question to the guys who think a coaching change wouldn’t make a difference.

And I’m not being a smartass here.

Look at Toronto, who have had poor goaltending for most of the year, plenty of injuries on the blue and a forwards corps essentially gutted and yet this club is 3 points behind the Oilers in the standings and bring a consistent effort every night despite this being a writeoff year.

Wilson is a dink but I would guarantee that if he was the Oilers’ coach they would be free and clear in a playoff spot.

I’ve been a MacT supporter but his club is probably going to get beat again tonight, afraid to say. And really there is no reason for this to be the case considering the state of the opposition.

68. slipper says:

I’m a little worried for you, HBomb.

I think for the benefit of your liver LT should delay posting gameday threads until an hour or two before puck drop.

69. Bruce says:

Do Oilers have arbitration rights on Smid? They should exercise them if so, if only as a negotiating ploy. He’s a prime candidate for a raid.

70. Traktor says:

Does Edmonton match 2.6 million when the compensation is only a 2nd?

71. Dennis says:

LT: I don’t know what Keon’s defensive coverage was like in his first season or second season but 13 lets enough guys blow by him and/or forgets his assignments that I’m not comfortable calling him a future defensive stalwart.

Not that you did but I’m just saying.

If we miss the playoffs – and I’m really starting to think we will – one of the things I’ll remember about this season is the decision to let 13 drown trying to play the toughs. Then again, maybe I’m over-stating it because if we’re 13th at EV, the biggest problem has obviously been on ST. And to bring it around to 18, it’s funny that guy doesn’t mention the ST play;)

The PP is such an abomination that I don’t even think much about it anymore. I haven’t checked how we rank league-wide in a long time because it just kills me. But it shows how oblivious some players are to the state of the league when a guy like 18 will gave a sorta semi state of the union address and in turn fails to address the hyper-problamatic ST play.

While I haven’t listened to the interview, it seems like he does make some good points because in the home loss vs CBJ for instance, it killed me that they never made the adjustment to go dump-and-chase.

Though, there’s no doubt that such comments from 18 don’t paint the coaching staff in the most positive light.

Tonight’s game is a real killer for me. I hate losing to shit teams and I hate losing to the Leaves and I hate missing the playoffs.

Other than that, we’re golden.

72. Dave says:

anybody else watching this baseball game?

73. Black Dog says:

Well the PP is the same as it always has been Dennis; imo that’s what cost the Oilers the Cup in 2006, other then the Hemsky solo dash they were o fer on the PP in every game they lost and overall they had what, 2 or 3 PP goals total in 7 games.

And no goals scored in any of the 5 on 3s they had, including one in G7 iirc.

No puck or player movement. Back to the point for the bomb being the singular play.

Depressing.

Add to that the sudden collapse of the PK this year.

You can point to this being a flawed team, which they are, but it comes back to the coach.

74. Traktor says:

This season hasn’t been all bad – Marc-Antoine Pouliot has already shattered his goals, assists and point totals for a season.

If things continue to go Pouliot’s way he will have broke the 20 point barrier for the first time in his career.

Another bright spot is Liam Reddox is only 1 point away from reaching the 10 point milestone.

75. quain says:

Really? By eye and by number Cogliano has had a pretty easy ride. His one problem is that he has had just mediocre linemates.

76. Oiler Mag says:

The Isles let their kids off the leash – a Finnish first round pick from 2002 scoring a hat-trick. Man, I always thought we gave up on Niinimaki too soon. :(

77. Alice says:

If the general temper of the GDT still serves as a reliable [contra]indicator, then thrills and 2 points surely await. Of course my daughter gets to take her friend to the game, while I watch it on the tube in an Oshawa hotel. At least I won’t be buying any ML$E beer!

78. Traktor says:

Who have been Cogliano’s wingers most of the year? Moreau and Pouliot right? With some Reddox and Stortini also getting time on his wing lately.

They have a combined 30 assists in 208 games which is 11.8 assists per 82 games.

Can someone please explain how Cogliano has had better QT this year.

79. Alice says:

Traktor, In this case QT might better be a reflection of defensive, low-event-ness, and you’re trying to find some upside in offensive production.
    The QT/QC stats just add a dimension, sometimes beneficial, sometimes a bit dubious. Have to take them as a whole and see if they hang together and tell a story.

80. Coach pb9617 says:

Who have been Cogliano’s wingers most of the year?

ETHAN MOREAU 283:44:00

DENIS GREBESHKOV 223:15:00
    SHELDON SOURAY 216:03:00
    LUBOMIR VISNOVSKY 205:56:00
    LADISLAV SMID 199:17:00
    JASON STRUDWICK 143:47:00

81. Ribs says:

Dwayne Roloson will be in net for the Oilers, making his 21st straight start. That’s a new Oilers’ record, surpassing Grant Fuhr and Bill Ranford. – TSN

Hoorah! Go Roli!

I’m really hoping the new guys can step up in this game. Kotalik looked pretty out of shape and I sure hope he can adapt to some icetime because I’d really like to see him succeed with Hemsky. Otherwise we’re going to go back to the Penner/Fat Penner debate and there’s just not enough games left to be messing around anymore.

O’Sullivan looked like he hadn’t made any friends yet and was trying to figure out what it was he was supposed to be doing on the ice the entire game. Make him comfortable quickly, please.

Gregor’s saying that Gagner and Horcoff are switching lines and that Poo may be replaced by Nilsson. I don’t know what to think about it at this point. Gagner-Kotalik-Hemsky is likely to give up the puck to a Leafs team who likes the rush and I can’t see that turning out well.

I think I said this the last leafs game, that the defense really needs to play well tonight and Roli needs to be ready. Keeping the puck to the outside is the key as the leafs like to shoot from everywhere and often (9th in league).

Some physical play would sure help against these guys as well. Get Stortini his cape.

82. Coach pb9617 says:

Kotalik looked pretty out of shape

No he didn’t. That’s how Kotalik plays. He’s Anson Carter.

Because I hate Toronto so much this is a day to assume Oil lose so as to avoid disappointment.

However, I’m feeling pretty good about the team overall. They have plenty of options come summer and helped that situation at the deadline.

I do agree it’s a crapshoot for a playoff spot but it’s going to be fun watching them fight it out with the other teams 6-12 in the Western conference.

Plus Gagner has had a nice little run, maybe Cogs can go on one and Kenta’s kid might add to it.

84. Ribs says:

Hehe.. He almost keeled over talking to Gene at intermission last game.

85. hunter1909 says:

Oilers always are fun this time of the year.

Yeah Hunter, I think so too. The Smyth trade broke a generation in half imo (it was like the Messier trade to my bunch) and this is an era of the bizarre and unexpected but even if they miss the postseason there are things to enjoy.

87. geowal says:

The thing with Cogliano on the pk, and coach touched on this earlier, is his poor showings on the faceoff dot. He can’t take Horcoff or Brodziak’s pk minutes until he gets better on the dot. If he’s going to be on the pk, he has to push aside the wingers-Moreau,Pisani, formerly Cole, now Sullivan?.
    Not saying he couldn’t outperform those guys, but MacT clearly doesn’t feel he’s there yet.
    Adam Oates where art thou?

Why don’t they just hire Keon to do it?

89. geowal says:

Dave Keon where art thou…

90. Ribs says:

Nice choice of pics for this post, LT.

91. Black Dog says:

Why don’t they dress Keon?

Might be a start.

Yeah he’s still kicking. He’s an embittered old bugger. Half of Leafs fans love him and half wish he would just get over it.

He can hold a grudge.

92. Schitzo says:

No, unfortunately it has to be 4 years of pro experience. Smid has 1 in the AHL and 3 in the NHL, but because he was 18 at the time the CBA ignores his AHL season.

As a general rule, a guy coming off his entry-level deal should never be arbitration-eligible.

93. Dennis says:

Quain: yeah, i see that but it doesn’t jive with me for some reason. Whatever line 18′s on is gonna play some toughs and that’s why I always put 13 there.

Trak: I know you’re having a laugh but 78′s got a great chance to out-perform his contract and that’s not something a lot of Oilers can say.

Pat: Remember when the PP hummed down the ’08 stretch? That tricked me Again into believing our PP wouldn’t be junk.

Dave: thanks for the reminder. I just turned it on and watched Bay fly out to win the game. Seeing Canada with a Home Hardware emblem on their jerseys actually made me like them more. I’m sorta going the LT route with baseball though. The Expos moving just tore out my heart.

94. eidy says:

this kind of got lost on trade deadline for me, but as well as tambow did on getting good return on cole, rutherford did equally well if not better for his return on williams and williams salary next few years will likely go to the same 26.

I watched a little of the game and 26, 12, and baby 26 (ruutu) looked like it could give nightmares. i would have been happier with ruutu for cole and somehow rutherford gets them both.

carolina has a pretty good shot at the playoffs and i hope it isn’t at mtl expense.

95. Schitzo says:

Eidy: I think for Rutherford to look good, you have to make some assumptions:

1) Cole wouldn’t have just signed there in the off-season anyways

2) It’s life or death for the franchise to make the playoffs this year in Carolina

3) They only had the money for one of Williams or Cole.

If it was my team, I’d be having Staal or somebody informally telling Cole he’d be very welcome to come back over the summer, keeping Williams, and having both for next year.

96. eidy says:

that is true, but i think they needed a push for the playoffs wouldn’t you say

97. Coach pb9617 says:

“Homemade” Marinara:

Two 28oz cans of whole tomatoes
    Two 15 oz cans of tomato paste
    90 oz Beef stock (use broth if you must)
    5 cloves garlic sliced thin
    2 tablespoons olive oil

Heat the olive oil on medium heat. Add the garlic and stir to infuse the oil. Add one can of tomatoes and crush the tomatoes with a potato masher. Add the second and do the same. Stir in both cans tomato paste and follow with the beef stock and bring to a boil.

After it boils, turn it to low heat and add a small handful of dried oregano, two pinches of dried thyme, two pinches of cracked red pepper flakes, three pinches of marjoram, two bay leaves and two pinches of salt.

Let simmer on low for an afternoon until it reduces to desired consistency. Before serving or storing, add two pinches of dried basil leaves, black pepper to taste, and a handful of grated romano or parmesan cheese. Stir until mixed. Remove the bay leaves before serving.

98. Dennis says:

LT: when Haven’t you liked the club?:)

BTW, I think it’s a good move taking out 78. He’s creating chances so fuck him.

Damn, sir. You should start drinking before noon more often. That sounds fabulous (and my wife just told me to “save the recipe” and she’s an actual cook).

100. Ribs says:

I have no idea what “marjoram” even is.

Dennis: lol. Point taken. Having said that I can’t really believe how quickly some have decided the deadline deal was a disaster.

Maybe it’s just because I missed the Ottawa game but it’s probably a good idea to give it a week.

Moreau makes some good points in his interview. Its too bad he’s such a self serving douchebag who’s not fit to lead a group of young players.

In particular his comment:

“Knowing where goals are scored in the NHL, not many are scored on the perimeter; most of them are scored from in front of the net. Look at the best players in the world; a lot of their goals come from getting to the net like Iginla. I guess Ovechkin is an exception to that because he can score from the outside. A lot of the really good young players are getting to the net and scoring goals, and I thought that was lacking in our game last night, we were on the perimeter too much.

I agree with this wholeheartedly.

Goalies are too good in the NHL to let in a lot of open looks (unless you are playing the Oilers and get open looks from the slot with regularity)

Look at some of the goals from the Nashville game:

Pisani comes in 2 on 2 with Cogs and instead of trying to jam a pass into traffic or skate around the net, he shoots low hard shot designed for a rebound, and Cogs pops it in.

JFJ’s tip. No option for a blast from the point, but there are TWO Oilers in front of the net so Smid floats a wrister in there and it finds its way.

Rebounds and traffic.

Look at the Wings. Holmstom’s big ass parked in the paint is half the reason their PP is so successful. Every line goes to the net, every line gets traffic in front of the net, and these are guys with more skill than our bunch.

The Wings cycle hard, get traffic in front and take lots of shots looking for rebounds.

That is the team that the Oilers are trying to pattern themselves after, but it seems they are missing some of the key points.

The young skilled guys on this team are going to get their highlight reel goals, but its the garbage goals that rack up the stats and win games.

I’ve heard MacTavish talk about doing these things constantly, but his team doesn’t do it.

Would they do it for someone else, or are they the wrong guys?

Its kinda funny that the one player who spends the most amount of time in front of the net, and helps create offense as a result is hated by the coach. Conundrums like this are a MacTavish specialty.

As for the game, they all better come out and skate like their hair is on fire.

LETS GO OILERS!!!

CLAP, CLAP , CLAPCLAPCLAP

103. geowal says:

Just listened to the Gregor interview. Thought it was interesting that Moreau acknowledged he is taking too many bad penalties and would “try to work on improving on that” when he comes back.

104. HBomb says:

Fuck, five minutes in and we’ve got a Schenn/Pronger comparison on the pregame show?

Good thing about tonight – Hughson instead of Mark Lee. Actually, GREAT thing is more like it.

Someone mentioned the Keon game when the Oilers were in Toronto a couple years back – mid-February game, the Pouliot penalty shot game (I don’t want to damn the kid and call it his “Isbister night”, but it was his best game as an Oiler), they lost 4-3.

I do believe one of the goals was a direct result of a MA Bergeron turnover, and the next morning, it broke on HF that Bergeron had been traded to the Islanders. Nine days later, Ryan Smyth followed him.

February 17, 2007. That was the night.

105. Coach pb9617 says:

Hockey used to relieve my work stress. Now cooking relieves my hockey and work stress :)

It’s an all-purpose sauce – it works just as well on spaghetti and manicotti as it does on pizza or bruschetta. Besides that, it’s easy enough for my kids to help with.

Take half of the sauce and stir in a cup of tempered heavy cream, a pat or two of butter, chopped fresh parsley, and a bit more cheese and it makes a rocking tomato cream sauce. Add a shot of vodka and Hbomb has his Tomato Vodka Cream Sauce, which, in my experience is an advanced undergarment removal device.

BTW, I think it’s a good move taking out 78. He’s creating chances so fuck him.

We can only find salvation in the hope that the coach is attempting to get himself sent to Rogers West as the third man in the Marc Crawford booth.

106. geowal says:

P.J. Stock: “Did you see Horcoff’s face? He should have played baseball”

Awesome. I always thought he looked like he got run over by a truck though, with or without hockey scars.

107. Traktor says:

“78′s got a great chance to out-perform his contract”

True, but couldn’t that be said for most players making a million or less?

108. Ribs says:

Poo plays!

109. PDO says:

Oilers win 12 games, you can say we’re in the second season.

Doesn’t matter which 12, just 12.

Hopefully after tonight, we’re saying 11.

With help on the out of town board it could end up being 10.

Clap clap.

110. Coach pb9617 says:

Outside of the obvious “the coach is a twit” excuse, why aren’t we seeing:

44-77
    24-37
    43-5

111. PDO says:

… the ref took our player out and didn’t blow the whistle? What?

112. oilerdago says:

That was not a slew foot on Pou – their feet got tied up.

On no…not Smid.

113. PDO says:

… the puck was right there and there’s no call? Seriously?

114. striatic says:

elbow to the face and no call?

did i miss something there?

115. PDO says:

CBJ up 2-0 against the Wings early.

Would it kill them to help us out one of these nights against CBJ or Nas?

116. PDO says:

Is it just me, or is Pisani more physical since he came back? He just fed 51 on the Leaves in front of the net.

Keon looked good there.

118. Temujin says:

That’s a nice shift by the 4th line.

Wow.

119. PDO says:

Oilers are starting to put together some good chances here. Since 13, 10 almost finished the tic-tac-toe, and then 21 had a good shot from the slot.

It’s the Zach Attack!!!

Blew someone up and then absolutely worked over Andrus in a fight.

120. Garnet says:

Stortini, great hit, but WTF after?

121. PDO says:

And Reddox dangled someone.

122. Temujin says:

When a crusher pretends to be a rushers, he ends up an usher.

Liam Reddox!

123. uni says:

I quite enjoyed watching Stortini get the puck back by bowling that guy over. And then holy $#@! he won a fight cleanly. I mean I know Ben Ondrus isn’t exactly Belak, but still nice to see.

The game’s at least fun to watch, so far.

124. PDO says:

That’s a really dumb penalty from Gilby.

Good period, tough to not be up. We certainly had more quality chances.

125. mc79hockey says:

Pretty decent looking period. I didn’t think that the Ottawa game was as bad as everyone else – pretty terrible first half but after that I thought that the Oil looked alright.

Moreau made a great point in that interview about shots from the perimeter though. It seemed like they spent the entire game against Ottawa trying to generate shots from below and outside the dots.

126. mc79hockey says:

Oh and I was driving back from OTT, listening to the pre-game. Apparently Colleen Howe was the patriarch of the Howe family and she died from Alzheimer’s. Good lord.

Who did Horcoff play with most that period? It seemed like a blur.

128. hunter1909 says:

Very impressive and totally bush league Oilers have stopped free feed to the internet, fucking might as well be China lol

129. Ribs says:

So what are te odds on Smid and a concussion?.. Where’s bookie?

130. Dennis says:

Trak: I guess you don’t believe in the power of having real players for under a mill? show me a team with a few of them and I’ll show you a team that has lots of room to pay difference makers.

LT: well, 26 was starting to show a little something and now we gotta waste time on 19 finding his legs and building chemistry. The amount of time that takes might end up costing us the points we need to make the playoffs.

chances 6-4 edm in that period.

131. Schitzo says:

Oh Smid :(

132. mc79hockey says:

Was gonna say – nice of Gilbert to take that pointless penalty at the end of the first as a tribute to Chopper.

133. mc79hockey says:

There’s one of those goals that the loss of Visnovsky sets up. Geez.

134. Ribs says:

Flawless

135. oilerdago says:

Yeah Hemmer.

136. Temujin says:

And Hemsky says: How do you like me now?

137. striatic says:

good shift from Penner, i thought. looked like he had something to prove, and some good chemistry with Cogliano.

138. Temujin says:

Epic Brodziak

139. oilerdago says:

Thank you Brodziak.

140. geowal says:

With Gerber’s showing on the breakaways so far, I’d say we’re in good shape if this thing ends up in a shootout.

141. oilerdago says:

San Fernando!

Keon is a nice player.

143. striatic says:

it is refreshing to see the oilers play a decent second period.

144. Coach pb9617 says:

good shift from Penner, i thought. looked like he had something to prove,

Yeah, he really needs to prove himself. He’s been shitty all year.

Yowza. Cogliano is just flying the last two games without that giant anchor attached to him…

145. geowal says:

Nice job Pisani. And Penner’s ass in front couldn’t have hurt there either. Maybe they should use him on the powerplay :)

146. Temujin says:

What a great period for the Oil.

147. Temujin says:

Cogliano’s Grandpappy looks pretty dang good for a 91 year old.

148. PDO says:

I hope I look that good at 91.

Teemujin… are you one of those Canuck fans who is a secret Oiler fan? :-)

149. Ribs says:

Jeebus. Staios with 18 mins already.

150. Oil4lyfe says:

we need to bring cogs 50 friends/family to every game.

151. Coach pb9617 says:

we need to bring cogs 50 friends/family to every game.

A man named Saverio Cogliano has at least 50 family in every decent-sized town.

152. PDO says:

The players must really hate MacT.

I mean, first he puts 77 in a position to win a coinflip in Minnesota, then he dresses 85 in TO, and I’d bet dollars to donuts 22 and 78 both play against Montreal.

He has some issues sure, but it’s hard to believe that a guy who rewards hard work as much as he does and plays guys in situations like this isn’t a players coach.

153. Temujin says:

Secret fan? heh!

But as a Nuck fan I am keenly aware of the emotional turmoil involved with cheering for a team mired in mediocrity, always one or two pieces away from making the jump.

Havent heard much from Kotalik or O’Sullivan tonight.

154. HBomb says:

What a play by Horcoff to get back and bust up that Toronto rush.

Pisani’s having a strong two-way game tonight as well.

155. PDO says:

H:

Yup. And despite the fact I’m sure some people will call him “Whiffcoff” for that, it was clearly taken by Hamilton before it hit his wheel house.

Too bad.

He made a fantastic stretch pass to 83 for the Geno.

156. HBomb says:

PDO: Totally expecting it. Probably at least ten posts on HF and Oilfans bitching about his lack of finish on a play where the puck didn’t get to him.

157. Temujin says:

What a play by Horcoff to get back and bust up that Toronto rush.

Agreed.

Rolosen hasn’t really been tested, despite the shot total. At least, it seems that way to me since watching halfway through the first.

158. docweb says:

19-0-1 after two periods

Stupid Flames

Good period by the Oilers, I’d say that is 40 minute in a row where they played well enough to win.

The problem all season has been consistency. Can they win the third period?

160. Dennis says:

Fuck, the Leaves are a bad team. There’s no way a decent team allows a breakaway after scoring a goal.

I had the chances as 3-8 that period; Oilers score on all three chances:D

And the balanced scoring’s around for at least one more game. Goals from the 13 and 51 lines and the 10 line finally chips in as well.

I have just 21 chances combined logged for the first 40 min and that sounds about right. Really not a whole lot happening and the times the Leaves did get close, we had some nice plays in-tight from our D and/or retreating forwards.

Overall, a dogs breakfast with the Oilers playing just five dmen and the Leaves down to four or five.

Kings helped us today and Philly’s on course to do the same, Wings are fucking us and Cole has two more assists tonight for Car.

12 goals in two games for the Canes since his return and the Ruttu-Staal-Cole line is on fire.

Keith Acton looks older than Cogliano’s grandpa.

162. geowal says:

And to follow Simpson’s comments, it appears a static penalty kill is still better than a static powerplay. One of those things where the leafs succeeded not through their own ability, but by the shoddiness of others.

163. Scott says:

Zorg on the first line! Really!?

164. rider guy says:

What’s with Detroit on Saturday nights? The last 3 Saturday’s they’ve had chances to help the Oilers and have lost 5-2 to Minnesota, 8-0 to Nashville and are getting bombed 7-1 at home early in the 3rd to Columbus. Babcock must have lost the room:)

Minnesota lost this afternoon and Joff Lupul with a goal and Phily leads the Preds 2-0 going into the 3rd.

And Eric Stall, Cole and Ruutu have 15 points betwen the 3 of them and the 2nd period isn’t even done in TB.

165. PunjabiOil says:

Is Smid’s injury serious?

166. PDO says:

This is the second Saturday in a row the Wings have been embarrassed.

167. Tyler says:

Future strategies: get Cogs’ grandfather travelling with the team. If the time comes to trade 78, send him to the NE, because every time they see him, he looks good.

168. oilerdago says:

Punjabi, they said Smid has a mild concussion.

We may be seeing Peckham in MTL this week. I think that’s his second this year and he missed several games last time if I’m not mistaken.

169. Tyler says:

Hmm, seventh by the end of the night is looking more and more likely.

Thank goodness they have 3.

171. oilerdago says:

Decline the penalty?

172. PDO says:

Could our PP be any worse?

173. mc79hockey says:

Well, Horcoff didn’t whiff on that one.

174. PDO says:

I love 10.

I have his jersey, and it’s autographed.

He absolutely cannot miss that.

175. Coach pb9617 says:

Awesome. Penner has been benched. Not demoted – benched.

176. Oil4lyfe says:

//If I walked in and turned on the tv and just listened to the talk without knowing the score my guess would be 11-0 Toronto. //

Agreed. Listening to this broadcast all i can decipher is that some team in white is getting crushed by the mighty leafs.

177. geowal says:

Awesome. Penner has been benched. Not demoted – benched.

There was a shift he had a while back (the last one I remember him taking) where he had two fairly lazy giveaways, and I thought to myself at that time MacT would be seething and may sit him for it, since he has zero leeway after all.

178. rider guy says:

O4L – Agreed, but you’ve got to admit it’s nice watching an Oil game on HNIC where nobody has called 83 “Alex”, the “F” has been removed from “Rolofson’s” last name and not a single mention of Marc “Andre” Pouliot.

On a related note, should be fun to see Mark Lee and Crawford try and keep the Sedin sisters and Mats Sundin straigh tonight:)

179. Oil4lyfe says:

Rider Guy- yeah its nice, but johnny is rarely on the spot on HNIC….

180. Aram says:

I only just started watching this game. How the hell are the Oils up 3-1? We’ll take it I guess. The PP looked worse than even strength. Nashville is down against philly…HUGE.

181. PDO says:

Ondrus has been beaten up by Stortini and Strudwick, on separate occasions, in the same night.

Hah.

182. HBomb says:

Deuce for Brodziak. Nice.

And Strudwick (aka Stud-wick) just made Ondrus his bitch.

183. rider guy says:

O4L – you’re right about Johny being on the spot.

You know the PP could really improve if we tried a few more “bounce passes”

184. mc79hockey says:

Win the game in MTL and this has been a successful roadtrip.

I would imagine that the younger half of the Oilers is about 30 minutes away from some awful club on King West.

185. Icecastles says:

Did they just do their bouncing happy dance again? I love that.

Yeah, they did the college football pre-game romp thing.

Good W for the Oilers tonight. That L by MINN today was a monster.

187. Scarlett says:

If you only look at shots on net, you’d think the Leaves had dominated this one. I think the shot dude missed a whole bunch. They said the Oil were outshot 17-5 in the second but I thought it was a nice period of hockey for the oil. Am I seeing things?

No matter, nice win! Hemsky seemed to get his game back, albeit with a few giveaways.

188. geowal says:

Is this Ondrus guy considered much of a fighter? He certainly didn’t fare well against Stortini or Strudwick.

I’ve never seen that little football-style jumping dance huddle celebratory thing after the game ended before. Is that some new scheme for team togetherness?

189. PDO says:

Anyone have a GOOD feed for UFC?

190. Icecastles says:

Did I read that Columbus-Detroit final score correctly? WTF!?

191. speeds says:

So I guess Cole has had a nice start in CAR? Seems he got Staal going as well…

192. Icecastles says:

Geowal – they did it for the first time (that I saw) after the PPV win against… a team that they beat. In January, maybe? It’s kind of adorable, don’t you think?

193. Scarlett says:

Roli is first star. Good but Staios is third star? Not Hemmer or Brodziak?

194. geowal says:

I couldn’t help but laugh when I saw it. Them being on skates I think adds a lot to the comic look of the thing. Could just see Roli smiling through his mask.

clap clap.

195. Scott says:

It’s awesome that Roli is going out of his way to make the CBC mention the Sabres taking out the Leafs in the playoffs when he was a backup. I like Dwayne Roloson.

196. Icecastles says:

Scarlett – Staios had a fantastic game. Lots of hits, blocked shots, and actually pretty smart defensively. Though tonight, it seemed the whole team was way more responsible defensively than usual. Even a couple really sharp defensive plays by Cogliano in front of the net. But I would definetely give Staios a star in that game.

197. uni says:

Ouch. I have Osgood, Zetterberg, and Datsyuk in my pool. This pretty much gaurantees my loss of my very close hockey pool now =(.

Also have Roy and Connolly, who both get shelled for -5 tonight as well.

The Oilers win makes it all bearable though =D.

198. Scott says:

In an interview a couple of weeks ago Smid said that it was Souray’s idea. Given he’s also consistently the guy giving the pat on the back on the way to the room I think he may well be “the” leader on this team (at least for team togetherness).

Newer Comments »