Oilers at Predators, G63/08-09

It’s a big game tonight. The Oilers are ahead of Nashville by a single point with a game in hand. A win tonight puts them three ahead at the trade deadline.

Ales Hemsky hasn’t been himself lately but this team needs him to be at his rambunctious best during this road trip.

There is a chance at some clearance and a chance to add some help at the deadline.

This could be the biggest week for the Oilers since the deadline in 2006.

353 Responses to "Oilers at Predators, G63/08-09"

Newer Comments »
  1. Brett Gee 英 明 says:

Win it!

2. Brett Gee 英 明 says:

ps. I live in China so I don’t get to see them that often, but those Orange and Blue jerseys are amazing.

3. Yeti says:

Don’t we have a terrible record against Nash this season? I can only remember us getting beaten repeatedly.

It will be interesting to see who replaces chopper. JFJ on the LW might be welcome for some physical edge, although Pou could slide down if Nilsson has found his way out of the doghouse.

4. DBO says:

Should be a fun game. A lot on the line and I truly hope the lineup has at least 2 new faces after this game. Bonk and Sullivam would fit, and wouldn’t take too much (if nashville loses and feels they are out of it). And i hope we move Cole for a younger version like ruutu. Come on tamblowe, make some moves. If you won’t dump Mact, then you might as well give him the best chance to win so that means fill the gaps in our team and let him sink or swim.

5. Gord says:

I hate/respect the Preds…and their friggin “I like it, I love it” song they play ever time they light the lamp at home.

I’m going to buy a troll doll and stick pins in it before the game…damn you Trotz.

6. NBOilerFan says:

I hate to be negative, but this is exactly the type of game the Oilers always seem to lose. One that is not a “must win” but that would give them a bit of breathing room coming down the stretch.

They never seem to make anything easy for themselves…. always scratching and gouging their way to an 8th spot.

Sigh.

7. oilerdago says:

Am looking forward to seeing the Oil tonite in person (have seats behind the Nashville bench).

Interesting comments from Nashville’s play-by-play guy this morning. He brought up our miserable record lately against them (losing 10 of 11) and that the guy who’s usually good for us against them (Moreau) is out but that we can’t be taken for granted. They expect Penner to go to the front of the net and try to screen their goalie (who’s been hot of late).

Both these teams need a win and we need to find a way to get it done. The boys owe Roli for saving their bacon Saturday.

8. HBomb says:

I vote for a first period beat-down of Tootoo by Souray tonight.

That would please me, seeing the no-talent side-show get his….

9. Doogie2K says:

(if nashville loses and feels they are out of it)

Unlikely. CBC showed a graphic during the second intermission against Minny that had Nashville in eighth after they beat Detroit (to which I responded, “Where the hell did they come from?”). We bounced them back to ninth, but they’re right back in the thick of things.

This precise game against Nashville last year was the difference between 8th and 9th. Just sayin’.

10. Smytty777 says:

The next 8 games looks pretty soft in terms of matchups, I think Montreal is the only team ahead of the Oil. Realistically the Oilers should be able to put some space between themselves and ninth place given the matchups.

Unfortunately I can’t see this happening as this team has stubbornly refused to show anything resembling consistency this year.

11. DBO says:

doogie: yeah, i also didn’t realize how close nashville was. they need the playoffs for money, so I expect them to add not dump players.

So the Oil better improve the team, because while we have a soft sched, our inconsistencies will hold us back. A top 6 forward, and a checking line center to me means the difference between 6w-2l and 4-4 in the next 8 games.

Malone and Halpern
    for
    Penner, Pouliot, Schremp and a 4th.

Nilsson and Cole
    for
    Ruutu and Kaberle

that’s more of a Mact team, we have a checking line center for the next year, we get a more physical version of Penner with the same cap hit in malone, and we get a younger version of Cole in Ruutu (with more offense, but less speed – perfect for gagner).

12. NBOilerFan says:

@ DBO –

I like those trade proposals alot.

13. Lord Bob says:

I was thinking the exact same thing, except that I thought the type of game was “a hockey game”.

14. Jfry says:

rinne doesn’t get enough ink, sullivan is on fire and they’re winning almost every night right now. i don’t like our chances and there’s no way nashville sells at the deadline…they’re the hottest bubble team in the west…buhbye dallas

15. B.C.B. says:

DBO -

I like the second one, but never been a fan of Malone (actually I like Penner better, not as mean but more effective hans, IMO).
    But how to you trade:
    a first liner, 2/3′s of the second line, and a fourth liner (plus parts)
    for
    a first liner, a second liner, a fourth liner and a defensive man.
    OK: Penner and Malone, makes sense, switch of “1st” liners. Kaberle makes sense, addressing need. Halpern is a fourth liner that can offset some thrid line minutes and PK time (on MacT’s team he is a thrid liner + lack of depth at C). Ruuto can’t replace both Cole and Nilsson, so is it a new version of the kid line. is this what you want?

Malone-Horcoff-Hemsky
    Cog-Gags-Ruuto
    Moreau-Halpern-Pisani
    JFJ/Reddox-Brods-Zorg
    PB: JFJ/Reddox, SMac

Because, I think that is worst then we have noe. More balanced defensively, but those top two lines better produce since the bottom two don’t have much going for them.

16. quain says:

BCB:

The bottom two lines are exactly what we run out with now, just with Cogliano moved up and replaced by Halpern. A little less offensive, a little less going into the wrong net… probably a wash.

The second line adds Cogliano, who is better than Nilsson, and Ruutu, who is probably equal to Cole in terms of offensive ability, if a bit different in how he provides it.

Malone is outscoring Penner right now, there’s no fall off there. If you put both players on one year contracts and asked me which I wanted, I’d take Malone.

You’d have a hard time convincing me that this line-up isn’t at least a minor step forward.

17. Traktor says:

DBO:

A 9 player swap to bring in “MacT type” players?

That would be like 10 years ago buying a bunch of video’s when DVD’s are about to be put on the shelves.

There’s no point tearing down this team to make it MacT friendly when he’s going to be gone in a couple months anyways.

We invested 3 draft picks, 20+ million dollars and close to 2 developmental years in Penner.

Penner leads this team with 5 game winning goals.

Penner has just as many goals as Horcoff and more points than Cole, Gagner, and Nilsson.

Penner is a is +3.

Penner has the 2nd best PTS/60 on the team.

Penner has the 2nd best GFON/60 on the team.

Only Shawn Horcoff has a better GFON/GAON/60 ratio.

Only Shawn Horcoff has faced harder QualComp.

The inarguable fact is Penner is an effective plater – If MacT doesn’t like him then he can get the fuck out of dodge.

18. Sean says:

This could be the biggest week for the Oilers since the deadline in 2006.

Until of course next week.

Hemsky seems to be better on the road. The PP has been abysmal at home. Nashville is on a role and the Oilers really need a win. Should be a gooder.

DBO: solid trades

19. Ribs says:

Control the Arnott and control the game.

20. Matt N says:

I think that your attitude towards Penner is a good way of determining if you are a “Stats” guy or a “Saw-him-good” guy. Penner is a guy who looks bad to the eye, but puts up solid numbers. On the other side of the coin would be Chopper.

21. Jonathan Willis says:

I don’t know whether something happened to you or something happened to me Traktor, but I’ve really started to enjoy your opinions.

22. Scott says:

To add regarding Penner, he also leads the team in scoring chance differential so far this season by a fair margin (the only Oiler with an NHL point in his career to post a positive differential in the last ten games). Penner is a good player and I definitely feel more comfortable paying Penner between the ages of 26 and 29 than I do paying Malone between the ages of 29 and 36. And while the salaries are similar, Malone does get a touch more.

As for the game, hopefully Grebeshkov stabilizes one of the top two pairings and we can get back to outchancing the opposition below us in the standings.

23. Scott says:

To correct myself, Penner leads all Oiler forwards by a fair margin in SC differential. Visnovsky’s leads the team (and it shows).

24. Traktor says:

Jonathan:

Thanks. I’m still a grumpy bastard so it must be on your side. Although it could be because I’m not talking about 10 as much.

Let’s claim Gary Roberts on waivers.

26. relic says:

loads of guys on waivers:

Satan, Morrison, Gerber.. again.

27. Traktor says:

“Penner leads all Oiler forwards by a fair margin in SC differential.”

We know either 2 things:

1. MacTavish and his staff are unaware that Penner leads all forwards in SC differential. It seems almost unimaginable that a professional coaching staff could be this incompetent.

2. MacTavish IS aware that Penner leads all forwards in SC differential but doesn’t care. This seems just as unfathomable.

Take your pick – both should lead to the coaches dismissal.

It’s sad how I warned us before the season started about MacTavish’s self-inflicted wounds. So predictable.

28. reijo29 says:

Minnesota re-signs Backstrom for 4yr. 24 million, so they aren’t throwing in the towel and probably won’t be dealing Gaborik either.

Looks like almost everyone is still a buyer in the West.

29. Scott says:

Sean Avery was claimed by the Rangers earlier today. Satan on waivers (really?) should be intriguing to the Oilers if they’re thinking of moving a guy like Nilsson. Given Satan is an UFA at the end of the season, this probably does not bode well for the trade value of one Mr. Cole.

30. NBOilerFan says:

Traktor – I too like Penner alot and would much rather keep him, but as most of us feel, I can’t see he and MacT together going forward on this team. And like it or not, I honestly feel that MacT is safe so long as this team makes the playoffs (regardless how fast an exit we make) and this Mgt is going to try to help MacT do just that.

DBO’s suggestions are good because it is more MacT type players… and like it or not, I see MacT sticking… unless of course we end up dropping out of teh playoff race (especially AFTER we make any T-deadlien deals).

31. Thrillho says:

I wonder how much true activity there will be tomorrow…the West race is unbelieveably tight.

I’d hate to be a GM right now. Seriously. I’m comfortable in my armchair…

32. Coach pb9617 says:

Hear Hear

33. HBomb says:

Traktor, I’ll second what Jonathan said – you’re kicking ass lately and have been dead on correct on a ton of shit.

I know the guy’s a lefty, but a waiver claim on Brendan Morrison would solve the 3rd line center issue without giving up ANY assets. And Tambellini knows the guy and his skills from Vancouver.

Cogliano-Morrison-Pisani. Nice 3rd line for the stretch drive.

34. shepso says:

Either Morrison or the second coming of Satan could potentially solve more than a few problems. Quite frankly, Morrison-Cogs-Pisani would be pretty sweet…

And now that the Wild resigned Backstrom, I am dead serious about offer sheet for Harding in the offseason and re-up Roli for 1 year to be his mentor. Time to cut our losses with JDD.

35. HBomb says:

Oh yeah, Harding’s a MAJOR offer sheet target this summer.

He and Ryane Clowe are the two guys out there that I could see someone trying to poach after July 1st.

36. Traktor says:

NBOilerFan:

I can understand your reasoning given your position. I don’t agree with your position though – I think MacT is on his last leg in this town.

Hbomb:

Morrison for free is sure better than a lot of alternatives floating around. Seems like a common sense pickup although I said the same about claiming Ossi Vaan.

37. HBomb says:

Traktor: Morrison would make too much sense, given that Tambellini’s got history with the guy in Vancouver.

That being said, if the Oilers pass on B-Mo for nothing and then give up assets to re-acquire Marty Reasoner (i.e. paying less but getting a 4th line center when you could have hada guy who might still qualify as a 2nd line center), that will say a lot to who is calling the shots (i.e. Lowe, still catering to his buddy MacT)

38. quain says:

…that will say a lot to who is calling the shots (i.e. Lowe, still catering to his buddy MacT)

39. mrzael says:

I think MacT fully ralizes Penner's value but he sees and wants more from the big lug. As frustrating as he looks at times – Penner>Malone in my books and is a keeper.

40. HBomb says:

quain: Why give up even a B-level prospect for Reasoner when you can have Morrision for nothing?

That would be my argument. For secondary tough minutes, Morrison is a huge upgrade over what the Oilers have right now.

41. Jonathan Willis says:

Reasoner > Morrison this season.

That said, Atlanta might jump on a Lerg for Reasoner deal right now, since you have to imagine the fringe guys are basically valueless with all of the options on waivers.

42. NBOilerFan says:

Traktor: Do you think MacT is gone, even if we make the playoffs and go into Game6-7 of first round?

Cause I think that saves his job, even just making the playoffs, could be enough, IMO. Easy to forget the blunders throughout the year should MacT get make them look decent in the playoffs.

HBomb: Indeed, Morrison would make sense with Tamb’s connection to him. What are B-Mo’s face-off stats? anyone know a good link to face-off stats?

43. quain says:

HBomb: I disagree though, because Morrison basically looks done as a player. If you can trade Bryan Lerg or someone who is basically just going to earn a paycheck in the AHL for as long as the Oilers have him, for Marty Reasoner, I think you do it because the numbers say Sakic Jr. is worth the extra cost. Especially given that Morrison doesn’t even kill penalties for Anaheim.

The fact that MacT likes him, the players like him, and he’s a pretty good interview are all just nice bonuses.

44. oilerdago says:

//Can someone find a stat that makes Brendan Morrison look like someone who can still play hockey in the NHL? I can’t find a stat that Marty Reasoner doesn’t outclass him in.//

Good comments quain.

Morrison has been on a downward spiral for several years. Burke took a risk on him and I’ve seen him play enough this season to know he’s been a total bust.

If Tambo signed him he’s a bigger homer than I thought.

If I could get Marty Sakic for Schremp i’d do it.

45. Coach pb9617 says:

It now looks like at least 1 and maybe two teams are going to make the playoffs without hitting Mirtle’s magic 90 points plateau.

46. rickibear says:

He is commenting like he use to on HF boards.

Speaking of that nightmare group.
    They cannot understand why D. moore wants 3M.

I posted this:

Can you name the 26 Centers in the league who face:
    1. Competition above the league average
    2. break even or outscore them
    3. Outchance them.

A hint one them is Dominic Moore who is a UFA in his prime age years.

Lets look at the Break down of the groups.
    1st Group Centers:
    6- are on entry Level contracts. The average salary 1M

2nd Group centers:
    6- signed RFA contracts
    3- Pre Penner signing. Contract average 1.6M
    3- Post Penner signing Contract Average 3.3M

3rd Group Center:
    11-Up to age 32 UFA and RFA target Average contract 5.8M

4th group Centers:
    3- 33 or older UFA. Average contract 3.1M.

So I look at this. Moore is a 27 yr old UFA center. His point production is better than some of the rfa who signed for 3.3M, The rfa and Entry level players are going to command 3.5-5.5M. The Ufa centers all average 5.8M, and the Older on downward contracts still command 3.1M.

Do you still think his agent is nuts to ask for 3M.

1.5M thats embarrassing.

Then the putz’s question the post.

So though every team in the league has signed guys to contracts around 3m or better for the skills he provides. Yup the other 29 Gm’s overvalue there players and one is bang on and doesn’t under value them.

There are teams who would take his point production to sign as a 2nd center. Plus he is top 20 for face offs and FO%. Teams pay 1.5M just for that.

Do you think Burke would trade him to us?

47. bookie says:

I disagree, it could be #3

MacT knows Penner is a good player as is, BUT also knows that if he were not a pouting lazyass that he could be a great player. He sits him on the bench to prove to him that a half assed effort won’t get you time on ice, EVEN if your natural talent and size make you somewhat effective when you are out there.

48. Coach pb9617 says:

Awesome post at Gospel of Hockey on the state of Project Oilers. He reinforces what we know – Moreau is terrible and Penner is very good. Well worth a read.

The real question is whether the third line will catch a bit of fire without THE ANCHOR it’s dragging around and if the coach will stop being a merkin and play Penner where he belongs.

49. shepso says:

So the MacGenius has placed fatso on the third line with Cogs and Pisani with Reddox playing with Horsky. Hmmmm. Any thoughts?

I actually think I kind of like this line with Penner, which I now christen PCP, though I feel like Poo should be there, not on the 2 line. And Row-bert is to be a healthy scratch yet again???? These choices are really mind boggling!

50. quain says:

Sakic Jr. has a FO% of 51.8%, Morrison is at 45.9%.

Given that Morrison doesn’t penalty kill and isn’t subject to the extra losses from that, that’s pretty weak.

51. quain says:

If he’s going to punish Penner, I like this configuration. Penner-Cogs-Pisani, if we’re not seeing any ridiculous out of position shenanigans is a line that I could see scoring. The first line is probably going to be terrible tonight, but I think Reddox is just absolutely hilarious, so I’m rooting for him.

52. NBOilerFan says:

Thanks quain!

53. Jonathan Willis says:

Apparently the Oilers have claimed Voros. As per Brownlee comment at ON.

54. kamus says:

Biggest game of the year, and the Oil are going to war with Reddox and Pouliot as their top two LW.

Today is the day I start praying, because only Jesus can help us now.

55. Steve says:

Apparently the Oilers have claimed Voros. As per Brownlee comment at ON.

I know nothing about this guy besides what I just read on his TSN player page. That said, he doesn’t seem to address any of the Oilers’ needs. Am I off on this?

56. Traktor says:

Aaron Voros is a Stortini clone. Awesome move by the Oilers.

57. NBOilerFan says:

Jonathan Willis said…
    Apparently the Oilers have claimed Voros. As per Brownlee comment at ON.

Well, Lt…. the 1st line LW position is solved.

58. Jonathan Willis says:

Sorry guys, I misread Brownlee. My bad – the Oilers have not claimed Voros.

59. HBomb says:

Stupid. That’s all I’ve got.

So does this mean Nilsson sits again and JFJ draws in on the fourth line?

It SHOULD be obvious:

Penner Horcoff Hemsky
    Nilsson Gagner Cole
    Cogliano Pouliot Pisani
    Reddox Brodziak Stortini

The fact MacT can’t figure it out says a lot about his lack of common sense right now.

quain: You make a good case for Reasoner. My worry is they bring him back and then give him a fat multi-year extension. No more expensive bottom sixers! We need to trim salary in that department, not add it…..

60. NBOilerFan says:

Could be that Nilsson is not drawing back in to make sure he doesn’t get injured and is available for a trade that is on the table?

61. Scott says:

Penner Horcoff Hemsky
    Nilsson Gagner Cole
    Cogliano Pouliot Pisani
    Reddox Brodziak Stortini

Exactly. Well, until Moreau comes back. Then you sub him in for Reddox and you’re set. Well, after you then sub Reddox in for Penner:)

62. Traktor says:

“Ales, thanks again for signing for dirt cheap. Because you’ve signed under market value we’ve managed to place Liam ’9 career points’ Reddox on your line.”

63. Coach pb9617 says:

Just awesome. The coach is a great strategist.

1-7 over the next eight please.

64. quain says:

Just awesome. The coach is a great strategist.

Of course, the thrust of my post was “if he’s going to needlessly punish Penner..” but yeah, go ahead.

65. oilerdago says:

HBomb,

Do you consider $ 1million an expensive bottom sixer?

Relatively speaking he’s inexpensive and he can kill a penalty.

Pretty servicable in my book.

And as a patch until you do a bigger fix in the summer, a good deal if all you’re doing is trading a mid-round pick or a suspect.

66. HBomb says:

oilerdago: In principle, no. However, I don’t see Reasoner as a 3rd line centre. If there’s one spot in the bottom six, I spend money on, it’s there, and frankly, I think the Oilers need to do MUCH better than Reasoner in that role, at least long-term. 4C, the Oilers are fine with Brodziak or Pouliot occupying that spot.

If I was GM, I’d be unloading Moreau now. Pisani I’d keep, but only on the hope that he could be signed cheaper (say 1.5 million) on his next deal. So outside of Pisani and the yet-acquired 3C, everyone else should be a million or less. Numbers game, I think Reasoner short-term is OK, but he becomes redundant long term (at least if this team properly fixes the 3C spot and is serious about winning anytime soon).

67. quain says:

Of course, I have no problem defending this move as the devil’s advocate:

The first line has been terrible for, what, five games straight? Penner is the scapegoat, sure, but we’re going on the road… no hard matching PvP… if we all agree that Penner is an offensive dynamo does it hurt having him with Cogliano? First line takes a hit, third line gets better… on the road, is the difference between the reduction in first line effectiveness going to be greater than the increase in third line effectiveness?

Given Dustin Penner’s offensive and defensive pedigree, I think the answer is no. Brilliant move.

68. Scott says:

So why exactly does Pisani get a special exemption in the pay scheme if the only position you want to pay is 3C?

69. Traktor says:

Reasoner would probably be playing 1st line LW tonight is he was under contract to Edmonton.

That’s the problem.

You can’t trust MacT with MacT type players; re: Reddox

70. TomInVan says:

Yes, Reasoner may be > Morrison, but I wouldn't write Mo off.

Morrison plays about 2mins less per game, has been in the doghouse all year and still produces the same number of points as Reasoner. In Anaheim, Mo's +/- (even) is substantially better than Niedermayer's (-16), Pahlsson (-16) and and he outscores both of them while playing fewer minutes.

I haven't gone into the stats in detail, but I think he's been somewhat miscast by the Ducks (did they really think they were getting a second line center when they signed him? Typical Burkie). Anaheim has three 3rd line centres. For a player that has a history of being very streaky (including his faceoff percentage), it has obviously been difficult for Mo to find his footing.

Yes, he's on the downslope and he's coming off a major injury (last year), but he's one of those players who's invisible much of the time, but plays responsibly and tends to be involved when clutch goals are needed. He can be a useful 3rd line center who plays with intelligence and could be a solid alternative to Horcoff when you need to defend a lead late in a game.

Anyway, he's "free" and is only signed to the end of the year. I think this is a no-brainer should the oil have the cap room.

71. oilerdago says:

HBomb – I agree w/Reasoner as a short-term, not long-term fix. My frustration with MacT (among many) has been his steadfast refusal to play Pouliot as a center (natural position).

If you recall, the kid did a decent job in 06/07 killing penalities as a pivot to boot. But this season has been a waste on the wing.

Maybe it all goes back to Pouliot’s comments last summer (not wanting to be another Carbeneau). Not sure. But it looks like we got rid of Reasoner 1 year to soon.

72. slipper says:

The inarguable fact is Penner is an effective plater

I have a friend who’s an effective plater, aswell. His name is Doug, he’s 310 pounds, and he out plates me 2 to 1 at the buffet table.

It’s remarkable, and that doesn’t take into account the numerous bowls of wonton soup he downs or his majesty at the chocolate fondue fountain.

73. HBomb says:

Personal bias perhaps. I think he’s a pretty high-end 3rd line RW and is worth keeping at 500K more than I’d like to ideally pay a guy in that role.

If you’ve got a 3C at 2.5 million, one third line winger at 1.5 million, and then the rest of your bottom sixers making less than a million per, I’d say you are in good shape, yes?

74. Schitzo says:

HEATHEN!!

Burn this guy at the stake, ASAP.

75. Schitzo says:

one third line winger at 1.5 million

*cough* 2.5 million *cough*

76. HBomb says:

oilerdago: I honestly don’t want them bringing back Reasoner for a kind-of-stupid reason. It would be giving into MacT’s season long “pout” over the whole issue.

Brodizak or Pouliot probably is perfectly capable of that 3rd line center role, or at least having a first opportunity to play in it. Instead, MacT has done everything in his power to avoid giving one of those guys the chance in that spot, from Cogliano and his 35% faceoff percentage to winger-turned-center Pisani.

I want MacT gone. I don’t like the job he’s done this year, and bringing back one of his old favorites would be giving into his whims.

77. HBomb says:

Schitzo: Like I said, the idea is to get Pisani to take less on his next deal, which means one more year at 2.5 million and putting up with that.

I’d sooner pay him 2.5 million than Moreau 2 million, I’ll say that with 100% certainty.

78. shepso says:

@HBomb…yup, JFJ is on the 4th. This defies all known logic, certainly. While the 3rd line arguably gets a really nice boost with a player who doesn’t kill plays in fatso, both the first line and second line take a hit with Reddox and Poo in the 1LW and 2LW spots. Sure, maybe mini magic is being sat as some form of trade bait, or JFJ and Poo are being potentially “showcased” tonight, but it still reeks of foul asset management that the Macgenius has been throwing at us all year. If the team is going to play consistent, the lines need to remain somewhat set so chemistry can develop. This is dumb. Really dumb.

Go Oilers?

79. kris says:

I’d like to see the whole deadline come and go with absolutely no trades just to see how the TSN on air guys react.

80. Scott says:

the lines need to remain somewhat set so chemistry can develop.

The pairs of Hemsky/Horcoff, Cole/Gagner, Moreau/Cogliano and Brodziak/Stortini have been pretty consistent for the last ten or twenty games. I think you also need to leave room for change when your team is being outshot and outchanced nearly every game.

It depends where the cap is naturally. I tend to take the bottom 7F and bottom 3D together and budget 20% of the cap. If you think the cap in two years is going to be about 50M that gives you 10M for those ten positions. If you take 3C at 2.5M and Pisani at 1.5M you’re left with 6M for 8 guys or a $750,000 average. So if you recognize that means you’re probably going to be a little thin with regard to depth D then you’re probably okay. I’d personally rather try something closer to 1.5 and 1 for my two best third liners (perhaps Pisani and Brodziak).

I really dislike MacTavish but I refuse to believe that even he would rather have JFJ than Rowboat in the lineup.

In the post game presser last game MacTavish was vague and wishy-washy as to why Nilsson was sitting, saying Rowboat was trying hard and that he noticed it.

He has to be sitting due to trade bait fear of injury ala Guerin/Morris.

As for tonight’s game. I’ll state the obvious that no one else has yet in this thread.

Wings 8 – Oilers 2
    Wings 0 – Preds 8

Therefore Preds 16 – Oilers 2.

Actually won’t be that bad, but if the Preds come out flying and get the first two, its gonna be ugly.

If Oilers are within one or better by the end of the first, it might be a game.

Bad history in that building against a team that is hot and believing in themselves, not a great recipe for tonight.

Here’s hoping though….

LETS GO OILERS CLAP, CLAP, CLAPCLAPCLAP

82. Icecastles says:

Edmonton journal reports that Edmonton has zero interest in picking up anyone off waivers, including Satan… wonder if that’s at all just posturing, or if they have something really big lined up? Satan would seem like a good investment that you don’t have to surrender for, and Roberts could have been a realy cheap Moreu replacement.

Though if he goes anywhere, I would like to see Satan with the Devils… just for the sake of the badass jersey.

83. Black Dog says:

I’ve missed you Slipper. How’s things?

Ginger scores five tonight to shut all the doubters up.

Then Lowe trades him and Nilsson and Smid to Atlanta for Marty.

84. gary b says:

The inarguable fact is Penner is an effective plater

i have heard that one restaurant in town, as an homage to #27, actually offers a Penner Platter.

it was formerly known as ‘Combo Dinner for 8′.

Aren’t the Oilers at 49 (max 50) signed players? I remember reading something like that around the Garon trade. They waived Sabourin hoping someone would grab him and free up a spot.

If they are still at 49 (don’t know how long term IR figures in, someone help me out), I can’t seem using up their last spot for a cast off of the waiver wire unless it was something special.

Does anyone have more knowledge on this subject, and know where to find this info?

Thanks

86. Icecastles says:

Aren’t the Oilers at 49 (max 50) signed players?

Well that would be awfully silly of them. Silly silly management. Bunch of sillies. No wonder we have such a silly team.

(sorry for the silly post… sometimes reading about the Oilers melts my brain)

87. Scarlett says:

The Oilers must have something in the mix if they’re discounting the waiver wire completely. I would have enjoyed seeing Satan here. He could be a nice temporary fix if a big deal isn’t made. Plus Miroslav is an awesome name….he’d fit in nicely here! lol

The deal that I want to happen.

Nilsson and Chorney for Kuba and Vermette.

89. Black Dog says:

I like the one that someone brought up the other day.

Nilsson and Smid for Zetterburg and Datsyuk.

Except I don’t think we’d need to give up Smid.

90. Bruce says:

To be perfectly accurate, toWARDS 8th spot. We don’t always seem to make it all the way there.

Right you are, Doogie. It was a 5-4 regulation loss, and we finished 3 poinst behind them. To use one of Rod’s favourite words in its correct sense, it was a “nightmarish” game. I was scoring it for Staples Errors project, and I spent 2 hours reviewing the 5 goals against over and over and fucking over. All 5 were at even strength, I assigned 15 errors and recommended to Staples (since accepted) that there’s no real good reason to limit the numer of errors to just 3 per goal. It was a terrible performance, made worse by an unexpected 3-goal outburst which gave the Oilers a chance to steal a game they didn’t deserve, only to blow it again at the end. Pitkanen was a particular culprit as I recall, making his third error (type: “soft”) on the game winner with 2 minutes left in regulation, likely the most costly GA of the entire season.

Traktor: Good stuff on Penner. Absolutely he’s a guy who looks w-a-y better on paper than he does in person, at least to the casual viewer, which would include wide segments of the MSM.

One of the things I like about the wide-screen is one can follow much more of the play away from the puck, and I track Penner more closely than I suspect most do. He’s a smart guy who uses that big body to effect, but it’s fairly subtle oftentimes.

When wired-in people like Bob MacKenzie of all people start saying Penner clearly isn’t working out, maybe his time here is winding down, but I hope not. I like him way better than Ryan Malone, and I like his contract way better than Ryan Smyth’s. And I see that after another GF in half a game Saturday, Horpensky now sits at EV +21/-5 as a trio and that looks mighty fucking good to me.

Rickibear: Have been particulalry enjoying your thoughtful posts of late. Didn’t get a chance to respond to what you wrote Saturday, since I read the Wild GDT much later, but I like the way you connect the dots by setting competence thresholds in several different carefully-chosen metrics and seeing who meets the objective “all of the above”. The trick is to choose reliable stats that hang together semi-cohesively.

I too have missed Slipper. Welcome back.

91. Black Dog says:

Bruce – when watching Penner in particular isn’t the wide screen a must?

Ba dum ba.

Salary cap hell is coming and some contracts are going to have to go.

Penner is a goner. Not saying its right but its going to happen.

Unless MacT gets fired and Lowe steps in. Which may both happen.

92. kris says:

I suppose this has already been said, but to have any chance at all in the playoffs we need to:

1. Upgrade the first line to generate more offense, which presumably means upgrading Penner.(The big man is a good player, but we need a scorer for Hemsky.)

2. We need a 3C who can kill penalties, and we can’t afford to move many roster players for him if we’re using players to meet 1.

Now, sure there are other needs that need to be met if we really want to compete -tweaking the third pairing, adding goaltending, etc.- but 1 and 2 are serious concerns.

Meeting 2. shouldn’t be too difficult, but we’ve been saying that since training camp. (Why haven’t we done this? Has Lowe ever been asked this question?)

Meeting 1., however, doesn’t seem plausible. The real upgrades -the Frolov’s- cost too much and the affordable LW’s -the Guerin’s of the world- aren’t likely to do any better than Penner. (We’ll see, though.)

So, my prediction is we make an inexpensive little deal or two to meet 1 and 2 in a half assed way, just to keep the fans interested. Then, we either make or fail to make the playoffs by a point or two, and if we make it, get burned badly in the first or second round.

Sound right?

93. Bruce says:

BDHS: Yeah, there was an obvious joke in there, figured I’d just leave it out there. Even when the aspect ratio is correct Penner appears to be stretched.

Can’t resist posting this stat:

Oilers EV Goals, February
    ———————————-
    Stortini = 4
    Penner = 3
    Cogliano, Cole, Souray, Hemsky = 2
    Horcoff, Moreau, Strudwick, Gilbert, Pouliot, Reddox, Gagner = 1

—–

That’s 4 goals on 9 shots for Zorg, for a nifty Sh% of 44.4%. Pretty decent production from the much-maligned Penner, as well.

On the other side of the spectrum, Nilsson had 0 goals on just 6 EV shots in 12 GP. Gagner meanwhile led the club with 27 EV shots, but connected on just one of them.

Further on the subject of unsustainable, JFJ enters tonight’s game with a PDO number of 1.500.

94. kris says:

Bruce:

Your Zorg love is becoming justified. Or perhaps Zach reads the blog, and is so buoyed by your support that he has become a better player. Indeed, perhaps your love has made him a better man. :)

95. DBO says:

I agree about Penner being a solid player. my point was that unless they plan on dumping mact (and I can’t see it anymore, it’s fading away.. the hope they go with a new coach….. so sad) i think they’ll move penner if they can. He and mact will never get along, he’ll never play as hard as possible since Mact and him are at odds. I don’t care what anyone says, but mact does not get effort consistently from most of his players (except Staios and Moreau – which should say something… I’m just not sure what) and has lost the room. 8 years is too much…. i just can’t fight the fight anymore… just depressed….. going to LA this week, I’ll go see a team that at least plays hard and has a bright future. and it’ll only cost me $30 for a good seat. Man i hope we make some changes ifonly to change it up. hell, even a small Mike York type of move, just do something.

96. Opie Rules says:

“In the presser MacT smiles and says the answer to a LW to play with Ales was under our noses all along.”

Gosh, I sure hope so!

I was upset at first when the Oilers didn’t pick up Vaananen off waivers.
    But then I realized that if they had,
    85 would’ve been sent to Springfield to make room,
    And then 85 couldn’t have lead them to victory over the Wild.
    And, shucks, that would be just terrible.

97. DBO says:

anyone think we’ll make a claim on Satan? he was placed on waivers, and is an easy pick up. Not the answer, but at this point i just don’t feel hopeful that the oil do anything this deadline.

98. Coach pb9617 says:

Pretty decent production from the much-maligned Penner, as well.

3 goals is not nearly enough for his contract. Demote him to the A.

99. Bruce says:

Demote ‘em all, then.

100. Black Dog says:

Bruce’s love has made better men of many, not just Stortini ;)

Obvious is good for me bruce, in the words of the incomparable Guy Incognito.

“Can you dumb it down a little, Doc?”

You can say what you want about Stortini (and many of us have) but the guy, like the Ginger Kid, is making himself into an NHL player.

Hard not to cheer for the underdog.

DBO – that’s a pretty big mistake to admit to – Lowe did move Lupul and then Joni but he bet quite a bit more on Penner

Should make for an interesting summer.

101. DBO says:

black dog: i agree it’s a huge “i screwed up by lowe”, so I doubt it happens. however, on this team with macT as coach, penner will be a whipping boy. what scares me about Penner, is the paralells to former hab John leclair. i grew up watching the habs (dad) and the year leClair broke out in the playoffs he was ridden all year by the media and the coach for being lazy and not realizing his potential. I believe Penner in 2 years is a 30 goal guy who plays more consistently. I hope we keep him, but I just think Penner with mact will never work and if they plan on keeping MacT, then they will try and move Penner. Kills me a bit everyday.

102. Traktor says:

Stortini is a scrapper with brains and hockey sense. For a guy who dispenses the same amount of energy in one shift as some do in 60 minutes he has remarkable stamina. He’s unique. Reddox is dime a dozen. He’s an NHLer but he’s dime a dozen.

103. Bruce says:

Feb EV goal scoring by lines:

(Start Saturday)

27-51-46 = 7 (!)

(Announced tonight)
    85-10-83 = 4
    78-89-26 = 4
    27-13-34 = 5
    22-51-46 = 4

That’s what I call a balanced attack. Too balanced … some of the scorers need to step it up. One EV goal per week from each line isn’t gonna cut it down the stretch. Especially the way our PP has been “producing”.

104. quain says:

I just think Penner with mact will never work

So, LeClair broke out the year he got called lazy for a season, but… we should get rid of MacT for calling him lazy?

105. DBO says:

just looked at the rangers cap issues next year. they have 9 players signed with a cap hit of almost $40 million. $15 million to fill 14 spots, and they have a bunch of RFA’s. What about dealing for Dubinsky? Solid 2nd or 3rd line center. Might not take much since they are in cap issues for next year.

106. DBO says:

quain: mact is Mact. But my point was that I would hate to move Penner even with his relationship with Mact, and then watch him turn into a player.

107. Bruce says:

Yeah, any talk about how MacT only gets consistent effort from 18 and 24 is unfair to 46, 85, 10 and others who bust their balls on a shiftly basis.

Hard not to cheer for the underdog.

Those guys are indeed easy to root for. I would include Reddox on that list, who may be “dime a dozen” but is growing on me. He played a terrific game on Saturday, battling at the goal mouth a la Smytty on one close call which wound up with him pitchforking Harding to the ice, making a nice feed to an open Zorg for the tying goal, and then two fine plays on the winner, battling along the boards for possession before kicking the puck back to Grebs, then taking the return pass and making a sweet cross-ice feed to Gilbert. If he keeps making plays like that in the offensive zone, there’s enough to like about the rest of his game to find a spot.

108. DBO says:

lines tonight (not sure if it’s been posted yet) as per team 1260

Reddox – horc – Hemsky
    Pou – gagner – Cole
    Penner – Cogs – Pisani
    Jacques – Brodziak – Stortini

109. Coach pb9617 says:

he’s a star in the making. Dual offer sheets for him and Zherdev is the ticket.

110. DBO says:

Coach – at this point an offer sheet is an easy answer. keep him below the penner mark, with an offer around $3 million. Overpay today, underpay tomorrow. for us he fills a need of a bigger center that can win a faceoff and still contribute offensively. I’d actually place him above Staal in Pittsburgh, let’s just hope he doesn’t want $4 mill. And maybe you use Cogliano or Gagner to make a deal for a top LW. Easier to move one of those smurfs when you get a guy like Dubinsky. Would the Rags go for:

Cole, Nilsson and Schremp (Torts talked on TSN about liking him)
    for
    Dubinsky and Mara

111. Opie Rules says:

“Might not take much since they are in cap issues for next year.”

That’s why Dubinsky won’t be available, the Rangers can’t afford to let him go. Even though he would be the perfect player for Mr Mactavish. He brings a lot of jam.

My Aunt Millie makes terrific bumbleberry jam.

112. Steve says:

Is it fair to say that there was a time that Horcoff looked like a dime a dozen fourth liner? My recollection is that there was, but it would have been a time when I had no idea what I was talking about (as opposed to now, when I mostly have no idea what I’m talking about) so I thought I’d check others’ recollections.

113. NBOilerFan says:

Bruce: Yes, Penner had 3 EV goals in Feb but you see, had he given it the old “MacT effort” he might have scored 5 goals. So 3 goals just don’t cut it… lets replace them with that 1-goal 4th liner who gives that MacT effort.

What’s that you say… our 1st line center only had 1 EV goal in Feb? Oh that is okay… he gave it the Old MacT effort… so its all good.

;-)

114. Dennis says:

You can really buy low on Dubinsky right now and I absolutely love the guy, though, but I can’t see why the rags would give up on him.

I can’t see any reason why they’d jettison a guy still making fuck-all.

18′s gonna be fine so I feel better saying this but I enjoy every game I get to watch without him in the line-up. I’ve forgotten how nice it is to watch this club without wondering when this stupe will take a penalty that has absolutely nothing to do with anything.

I think tonight’s lines are unbalanced and 27′s getting the shaft and it’s either super tough love for 12 or they’re holding him out because he’s gonna be dealt tomorrow.

hopefully it’s for a two-way defender like say a 77. then this guy can fill in for 24 next year.

Trade 44 and go 37-71-77-return for 12-5-49 as a somewhat-affordable D corps.

Find a 2010 LW for 89 and suck it up when it comes to 27. Put 13 on the 89 line or move him for someone that can play there. Get rid of 18. get someone to round out the 34-78 combo on the third line.

27-10-83
    ??-89-13
    78-??-34
    85-51-46

71-37
    77-New guy
    5-49

Who the fuck knows when it comes to goaltending.

Back to tonight, I hate watching the Oilers play in Nsh. It seems like their PP’s always going against us and weird stuff happens otherwise.

115. DBO says:

opie: i agree Dubinsky isn’t likely to move, but the rags have 7 regulars that are RFA’s. Dawes (10 goals and physical) will get a good raise, so will Callahan (14 goals), Prucha (can score) and not to mention Zherdev who wil get between $4 and $5 mill per year. You take Naslund’s deal back to free up $4 mill in cap space. Naslund and Dubinsky will get close to $8 mill together, leaving them only $11 mill for 14 players. Add $5 mill for Zherdev and they have $6 mill for the rest of their roster (and Dawes will get around $1.5 and Callahan around $2 mill). In a cap world these are the teams you take advantage of, just like we were back in the day we couldn’t afford to keep our stars. moving Naslund and Dubinsky allows the rags to fill out there roster without resorting to buyouts.

116. Dennis says:

Steve: there was a time when there was lots of time spent talking about Comrie and Horcoff and which guy was gonna get the push.

10 was smart and hard-working right off the bat and somehow looked a little better in the playoff games. Folks wondered if his offense would come and it did in the lockout season – he showed well for Can during a WHC as well – and then he came back in ’06 and added offense and there he was.

Fell down in ’07, bounced back in ’08 until he got hurt and now his ’09 season looks like the ’07 season counting-stats wise.

117. Icecastles says:

Steve said…
    Is it fair to say that there was a time tha/t Horcoff looked like a dime a dozen fourth liner?

Good analogy. I think Reddox is one of those guys who will never be a top-line superstar, is ging to evolve into the kind of smart, consistent and hard-working player that is surprisingly rare. In other words, the kind of player we so often seem to mistakenly trade away and regret later on. Perhaps a better analogy than Horcoff would be Marty Reasoner?

I’m not sure of why there is so much derision of Reddox here… the guy plays hard and smart, which is something that can’t be said about too many forwards this season.

118. Ender says:

I know people are going to write this off as “seen him good” and revoke my membership to the Edmonton Eulers (not that I ever had one, really) but seriously, if I were MacT, I’d bench Penner for one reason:

He’s not in front of the net enough. People can talk about outscoring all they want, but every damn time I’ve watched a game this year I marveled how Edmonton rarely has anybody parked in front of the goalie. There is no team in the league who is good enough to outscore as a whole without a good 20-30% of goals coming from tips and screens. None. So why the hell does Edmonton think they can?

Penner was brought in as a Smyth replacement, and he *could* be a Smyth replacement. He just refuses to. He’s slow to park in front of the net, looks to avoid getting hit rather than actually tipping, and is slow to go back to the defensive zone.

So yea, as a coach, given the makeup of this team and trying to play to people’s strengths as players I’d be stapling him to the bench until he woke up too.

119. pboy says:

I gotta disagree with you Ender. You are right that Penner was brought in to be Smyth’s replacement but that doesn’t mean he has to play Smyth’s style to accomplish that. He was supposed to become our 1st LW and he’s done that. The numbers clearly show that when Horpensky is left alone, they can play the tough minutes and be productive. Smyth made his money in front of the net but Penner doesn’t have to be his mirror image to cover his bet. Our head coach can’t stand the guy, if not for the inconsistent PP time Penner has received this year, he would be looking at 20+ goals again this year and his counting numbers would be more attractive.

Well we’re within 24 hours now, anyone hearing anything?

Apparently NJD will attempt to deal Clemmonsen. Oilers should be on that.

122. Ender says:

@pboy

I’m not saying Penner needs to be Smyth or he’s a waste. I’m saying that someone on this team needs to park in front of the net, and if we’re playing to physical strengths, Penner is the guy.

Hell, I bet if Jacques parked his ass in front of the net consistently he’d get a tryout on line 1. It’s not a matter of what makes the line successful. It’s a matter of what will make the team successful.

123. reijo29 says:

Anyone listening to Sportsnet’s NEW Insider – Marty McSorley.

He said that he talked to Lowe today and that Lowe said we really need to make the playoffs so that the young guys can get the experience.

I believe Lowetide has been saying exactly that.

Also, said not looking to trade Cole and that Penner is probably the best trade bait. Who wants him though?

124. Bruce says:

Backstrom re-ups with Minnesota: 4 years, $24 MM.

125. Jonathan Willis says:

LT: Matheson tossed out the names of Recchi, St. Louis and Frolov this morning.

126. NBOilerFan says:

LT: I agree they should be on Clemmonsen… but they won’t be… they have the blinders on right now for scoring help. I don’t see them doing anything except trying to either get that 1st_LW or 3rd_C.

Reijo29: Interesting… I wonder if that Penner trade bait is hinted from Lowe or just McSorley’s idea? Wouldn’t surprise me if it was from Lowe, as I have been saying, I don’ see MacT get moved and it’s either he or Penner goes.

127. Jonathan Willis says:

Backstrom re-ups with Minnesota: 4 years, $24 MM.

It’s a mistake for the Wild, but it’s nice to see division rivals spending money foolishly. Besides, at that rate maybe they’de be willing to deal us Harding?

The Oilers better be careful here. Penner is overpriced but he isn’t useless. If they deal him away and get little in return it will be a very bad day.

Look, I didn’t like giving up the picks and the money was crazy but let’s remember he is a useful player.

This is another reason why publicly calling players out is a bad idea: when it comes to trades the other guys sees you coming.

129. NBOilerFan says:

I think we should try to pick-up Guerin, Weight, Tkachuk, and grab Satan on waivers for the stretch run.

…trip down memory lane.

;-)

130. Bruce says:

Ender: Penner does lots of screening. David Staples has him leading the team in “unofficial assists” and that’s how he gets many/most of those, both at evens and on the PP. I don’t keep track the way Staples does, but have observed Penner casting heavy shade on numerous occasions where the puck has wound up in the net. Whether he touched it or simply hindered the goalie’s view with his beautiful big blue butt cheeks, the end result is what matters.

LT: Darn right he’s a useful player.

That Minnesota contract is crazy. Wow. I’d get that other kid in a quick hurry (the righty).

132. Jonathan Willis says:

The thing with trading Penner is that the player coming back is likely to be somebody else’s headache.

I hope they don’t underrate him.

133. Bruce says:

Hey Gene, not to be rude, but fuck off with the fucking bullshit about the captain being irreplaceable. Seriously, fuck off.

134. Ender says:

@Bruce

I’m not saying he doesn’t. He really does. It just bugs me personally that it takes him so long to get around to casting that shadow, more than anything else.

Granted, it could just be me and/or the games I watch. It’s entirely possible. However, when you compare Edmonton to some other teams that routinely have 2-3 people in front of the net I can see MacT getting really annoyed really quickly at a lack of urgency to play a style that *will* win games.

Not saying he’s a bad player by any means. It’s just that stats or no, he just doesn’t seem to give a damn. I mean, it’s unsurprising that he gets so many of Staples’ unofficial assists. It’s more a matter of “how many times per game *can* he be in that position” vs “how many times per game *is* he in that position.

135. NBOilerFan says:

What is the streaming site again… Adthe… or something like that?

136. Black Gold says:

atdhe.net

137. PDO says:

Sigh.. why does this always happen to use against Nashville? We came out playing pretty well, and they score a junk goal.

138. Black Dog says:

Sell! Sell!

139. Bruce says:

Ender: Lots. And lots.

W.r.t. Cole and the trade deadline, he’s the kind of “UFA rental” that we’re already renting. Not sure what the urgency is in dealing him now. The key thing is that at season’s end if he walks we open up payroll and replace him that way. Unless there is some particular asset we can get in return for him, such as the much-rumoured Tumour Ruutu, I can see the Oilers keeping him around. We’ve already paid him $3 of the $4 MM anyway.

140. PDO says:

What a slick move after a great shift from the 4th line.

141. B.C.B. says:

There doesn’t seem to be any streams tonight
    ADTHE = not showing hockey anymore
    Channelsurfing.net = no hockey tonight
    Yahoo = not playing hockey
    Justin TV = there is chatter that it exists but I can’t find it

142. PDO says:

Did everyone forget this was a 6 ‘o clock start?

143. PDO says:

Stortini just got robbed on a wide open net. Damn.

144. PDO says:

POU!!!

Hope it’s not his last as an Oiler.

145. Schitzo says:

Dammit Pouliot, you’re going to make some other GM want you. I’ll miss him by tomorrow night :(

146. Bruce says:

Lovin’ this fourth line pressure, and this second line finish.

Especially the second line finish.

Samwise is back just in time to save the coach.

And NOW the coach sends the 4line out against the NASH vaunt.

Lordy.

148. Ender says:

@Bruce

I guess I shouldn’t watch the games then. I’m obviously bringing the man down ;)

149. PunjabiOil says:

Pouliot’s isn’t a guy you trade given he has negligible fair market value.

Brule, Schremp, Nilsson, Staios, Cole (if adequately replaced), JDD, Cogliano, and draft picks should all be in play tommorow.

Beauty plays by Smid. Wow.

151. PDO says:

A) Grebeshkov should really make a better play there…

B) Why does Nashville get bounces like that against us all the time?

152. Schitzo says:

Whoops, The Pouliot giveth, and the Pouliot blow his coverage and taketh away.

Still, they need to keep him. Top-9 players for under a million bucks are the only way we’re keeping our shiny group of puck-movers.

153. PDO says:

I wanna see the Dennis numbers, because it sure feels like we deserve better than 2-2.

154. knighttown says:

Awful 1st period by our best players. Dennis, I’ll guess 83, 10, 77 and 37 were outchanced by 2 fold. In fact, I don’t recall any of these four getting the puck in the offensive zone.

155. PDO says:

knighttown:

10 definitely had the puck in the offensive zone.

’cause he got fucking rocked by Zanon.

156. knighttown says:

If I’m an opposing coach I employ a Hemsky-killer. Know one will argue he’s not tough, but he’s hearing footsteps tonight when Tootoo’s around. Same sort of thing with Steve Ott.

157. quain says:

In fairness, Hemsky has looked terrible for awhile now.

I don’t think Hemsky is hearing footsteps. He may be injured but in that first period he took a hit to make a play (defensive zone) and then bulled his way into a scrum (offensive zone).

He did lose the puck a couple of times without anyone around but I think he’s hurt.

159. Dennis says:

PDO Etc all:

I’m not gonna have to plug all the numbers in at the same time but I had the chances at 10-11; all at EV of course.

The players that registered the 10 Oiler chances:

78, 89, 46, 51 and 27 all with two apiece.

10′s line is struggling big-time and 27′s creating chances without them.

160. PDO says:

Didn’t see what happened, but Hossa taken off the ice on a stretcher.

161. Jonathan Willis says:

Leading the Oilers in icetime through one period: Steve Staios, with 7:55.

If anybody knows of a stream, please post it.

162. PDO says:

That’s two shit goals for Roli, for those counting.

163. PDO says:

Our PP has to respond here.

Just has to.

164. slipper says:

Has anybody checked out the pom-poms on those smoking hot cheerleaders sitting behind Trotz.

Pure Tennessean Cush.

165. Scott says:

10′s line is struggling big-time and 27′s creating chances without them.

Mostly because Penner is good. I really don’t think we need an upgrade on 1LW. In fact, investing 15.85M in your first line is great value going forward if they can outscore. And… that line can. Given the perception around the league I have a very difficult time believing that trading Penner will be anything but a huge mistake.

Oilers PP is shockingly repellent.

167. PDO says:

And another PK.

Sigh.

I need a beer.

168. Scott says:

That’s two shit goals for Roli, for those counting.

Roli’s EV save percentage in the last ten games is .948. Since Visnovsky went down, he (or luck) has been by far the biggest contributor keeping us alive

169. Mr DeBakey says:

Great back to back comments

Has anybody checked out the pom-poms

and

Life’s rich pageantry right here on Lowtide

170. Black Gold says:

Drink every time Rod Phillips says “chip it”.

171. Schitzo says:

Drink every time Rod Phillips says “chip it”.

But… but… I want to live!

172. danny says:

So in your estimation… which team will make the playoffs here?

:S

173. Ian says:

“Who is this little squirt running around into guys?!” –Rod Phillips

Nashville is a much better team tonight and have been for a time.

175. kris says:

Rod Phillips sounds like a cross between porky pig and Mayor Quimby from the Simpsons.

Eh… er… Hemsky now um…. to Horcoff… Aba dee aba dee
    errr…. um,…

I know he’s classic and all, but come on man.

176. Derek says:

Ales is my favorite Oiler, but he’s really starting to piss me off with all his shots into shinpads and dekes that end up going the other way at the oppositions blue line.

177. slipper says:

Roloson has been Edmo’s MVP.

He’s had far better games than this one but the Edmonton brass should be thanking their ucky charms that they couldn’t unload this contact when they wanted to.

178. danny says:

Doing a wordplay on ‘heart-attack’ when youre advertising a redmeat sandwich… kinda bad.

being outshot 15-3 in a large playoff race game, in one period… really bad.

179. PDO says:

Strudwick for Weber.

Fantastic trade off.

Good scrap too.

180. Black Gold says:

I’ll take the Weber/Strudwick trade off.

181. kris says:

Ucky charms are gross.

If the Oilers could score before the end of the period THAT would be a helluva lift.

183. Scott says:

If we get a goal on this PP Staples better give an unofficial assit to Jason Strudwick.

184. danny says:

Nice tradeoff there, Weber/Strudwick.

Did Weber spit out a tooth on his way to the box?

185. HBomb says:

Whoever is coaching the Oiler PP should be fucking fired. Yesterday.

No work tomorrow. Rum flows like water.

186. HBomb says:

I don’t think the Oilers have scored a PP goal during the presidency of Barack Obama.

Or at least it seems like it.

187. markmac says:

anyone found a place to watch the game online?

188. slipper says:

“Whoever is coaching the Oiler PP should be fucking murdered.”

Whoops. Is that crossing the line?

Because seriously, I know a sweet spot outside of Enoch and I’ll dig the hole.

189. HBomb says:

slipper: Glad to see you here tonight.

Out of line, but hilarious.

190. Black Gold says:

None of the usual suspects have a stream. I think we’re out of luck tonight.
    selfcast
    atdhe
    justin.tv
    myp2p

one might come up as the games in the east come to an end..

191. Chris says:

Got home a bit late, production from Pouliot and Gagner? That’s so unlikely its tertiary scoring. That was a nice scrap by Strudwick, I’m kind of enjoying our players winning fights this year after last year’s hug fest. Reddox on the first line though? Can’t we just fire MacT already? I mean seriously, Penner should be there and or at least Nilson or Cogliano..Reddox is just irrational.

192. pboy says:

Is it possible that they don’t practise the PP? How else can you explain that it’s been so ineffective for so long and there doesn’t appear to have been any adjustments?

I’m not working tomorrow either, so I’m 4 Spice Rums deep watching this game so far.

193. Mr DeBakey says:

“the one name we keep hearing is Colby Armstrong”

Mark “Eklund” Spector

194. knighttown says:

Are looking at 6 games without a powerplay goal? What is the special teams +/- over that time?

195. PDO says:

Everyone taking the day off tomorrow solely because of the deadline raise your hands?

My Dad was told it’s 95% likely he has Celiac… which means no more Rye/Beer for him, so he’s looking for every excuse there is for me to help him get rid of it.

Obviously, I’m 8 beers in and not going to MacEwan tomorrow in order to enjoy the madness ;)

196. danny says:

Whats up with Hemmer, still experiencing PCS symptoms maybe? being told to play soft for a few weeks as a precaution?

Its gotta be somethin. The guy is Gretzky reincarnate his first few games back after the concussion and then the switch just turned off completely.

197. Lord Bob says:

I think it’s time we made a trade to shore up this powerplay. Is anyone available?

198. Dennis says:

Slipper: Good to have you back! Is it just a coincidence you returned the same day as Avery!!:D

I had the Oilers at 2-8 chances-wise for that period. 10′s blast from the slot late in the frame was the ONLY chance they registered at EV.

Seriously.

It’s disheartening to see the Montreal Canadian Sheldon Souray show up tonight. He fucked the play many ways leading up to the PPG. He thought he could carry the puck and refused to dump it in and then he got his stick in Ward’s gloves when it went the other day.

Later on, he turned the puck over on the PP to allow a SH chance for nsh and later on he made two outstanding passes on the PP.

I don’t have any faith we can get even one point out of this one – let alone two – because we don’t exactly thrive when heading into the third period trailing.

But we’re only playing every second night on this trip so let’s try and find nine forwards and run with ‘em.

A PPG would help but who’d bet on it.

As an aside, 22′s making lots of little plays tonight that he never did before. I’ve counted three times where he’s shielded the puck and got it out and in the O zone he’s cycling as well as anyone else. Kid looks like a player for the first time, IMO.

And, yes, Roli doesn’t look good but he’s done enough that I’ll cut him some slack. Fuck, we could’ve lost to Minny on Sat night and you couldn’t have given him too much of the blame.

199. Black Dog says:

L.B. – I’m afraid they could bring in Gretzky, Lemieux, Espo, Orr and Coffey and they would still fuck it up.

200. Black Dog says:

Slipper just got out of the joint for making threats against whoever designed the Oilers’ PP.

Newer Comments »