Thrashers at Oilers, G67/08-09

That’s Daniel Bouchard in goal for Atlanta and Brad Park of the Rangers in on goal for a shot. The defender (#19) for the Flames is either Arnie Brown or Ed Kea.

Atlanta’s team is now the Thrashers and they aren’t as good as the Flames were in Georgia. Having said that, they have won three in a row and have all kinds of weapons to throw out there. Ilya Kovalchuk is a beauty player, Bryan Little has 28 goals and a guy named Marty Reasoner has 10.

The Oilers have recalled Theo Peckham and have some question marks for the game like Sheldon Souray and Ethan Moreau.

It’s a game the Oilers need to win.

EDIT TO ADD: An outstanding GDT (way better than mine) can be found at MC’s house. Please be respectful.

323 Responses to "Thrashers at Oilers, G67/08-09"

Newer Comments »
  1. Oilman says:

good to see these back on LT

2. gary b says:

things i’d like to see happen tonight (apart from 2 points):

- O’Sullivan with Hemsky
    - Moreau/Brodziak/Penner dominating
    - a quicker, more creative PP

3. PDO says:

Glad to see this back up. Not a clue what happened, but hopefully it doesn’t happen again.

4. oilerdago says:

Thanks for bring this back on LT.

5. Icecastles says:

Moreau on his likely return tonight: “I’m going to play the exact game I always do, nothing’s going to change.”

I know that is supposed to be a reassurance, but…

I think the unfortunate thing is that he could and should be surge an enormously valuable addition to the lineup, creating open ice for small, speedy guys like Cogliano. I know he has always taken a lot of penalties, but have they always been the unnecessary type that he’s been guilty of this year?

I know I’m in the minority (at least amongst my RL friends), but I used to really like the physicality and grit that he brought. The limited stretch that he was around for last year was, until the stretch run, some of the most energized hockey the team played all year.

6. Icecastles says:

Yeah, thanks indeed for reopening the forums, LT. The atmosphere was indeed starting to get a little toxic… perhaps somewhat the result of frustrations over the team and (what feels increasingly like) willful blindness to certain issues by the MSM.

I suppose we all need to take a hard look at ourselves and our posts and just be a little extra aware of when we get self righteous or mean. When it does happen, I propose you flag it a Moreau Post and restrict the poster from commenting for two minutes. :) Game misconduct if they poke somebody’s eye out.

7. Gord says:

I am a big fan of freedom of speech – but a bigger fan of "there is a time & place for everything".

Since this is your site; you owe nobody an apology if you delete their threads or ban them from posting; plus monitor IP addresses so multiple posters do not appear from the same person.

On a relevant note, TY for your blog…

8. bookie says:

Dear Honoured LT Board Collegues,

I would like to suggest (though with great humility and a touch of reservation) that perhaps Ethan Moreau’s return may be a positive thing for the club. Perhaps he will return with a new and improved focus after a few days off (and an almost lost eyeball). I admit that I could be wrong though.

Now, I fully understand that some of you may disagree with my suggestion above and I fully respect your right to do so. In fact, there is every chance that you are wiser and more intelligent than me and I respect that.

I look forward to reading your thoughts and responding in a respectful and civilized manner.

Best Regards,
    bookie

9. Phil says:

A PPG for and no PPG against would be amazing tonight.

10. Icecastles says:

Where is Bookie and what have you done with him? :)

Seriously though, I’ve thought the same thing about him in the past, but it only seems to get worse with time. His comments earlier today (“nothing changing about his game, exact same stye of play”) suggest to me that he’s not likely to improve in the selfishness department, because it’s not seen as an issue. Certainly not by himself or the coaching staff anyway, don’t know about his linemates. I sure hope you’re right, though.

And in Moreau’s defense, he didn’t get a single call against him his entire last game until the injury play at the end of the game. So that has to be a note in his favour.

Thinking about my earlier post where I mentioned that I don’t remember his penalties being so ‘bad’ in previous seasons (though they have always been plentiful), it occurs to me that when you have a killer penalty kill, taking a couple extras isn’t quite as fear-inducing a thought. Given the problems with the PK this year, every needless penalty (and most of the acceptable ones) just gives me fits of terror. Or at least a feeling we’re going to get scored on.

I wonder if Moreau will be playing alongside Cogs for the rest of the season, or if that’s likely to get a permanent change. How does he play with Pisani?

11. DBO says:

So the lines as per gregor at ON

21 – 10 – 83
    12 – 89 – 78
    19 – 13 – 34
    18 – 51 – 27

Interesting lineup, with the 3rd and 4th lines seemingly interchangeable, with both having a chance to outperform. Kyle brodziak gets the best linemates he’s ever had and Moreau is seemingly a 4th liner (although i would argue that ice time will show the 2nd line as the 4th line by games end). I actually like this lineup, and am surprisingly upbeat. Maybe it’s the flu medicine i just took, but i’m dizzy with anticipation.

12. shepso says:

I just threw this down over at Doogie 2k’s site, but I wanted to throw it up here as well. I am guilty of putting up some fairly awful things over at my home base blog. Fortunately I know that only 8 people read that, so I am not as concerned and try to keep my comments pretty tame anywhere outside of my home base, out of respect for the moderator and the much broader audience that reads the blogs. It’s true, as writers for a growing new media source, we have the responsibility to at least attempt to put some thought into knowing our audience. Given the love and respect we all seem to have for both LT and his mighty blog, which reaches a much larger audience than most of us would dream of (I remember congratulating LT last week when one of his posts got a link on Yahoo’s daily news feed), we should take better care to check ourselves, as there’s no online censors to check for us. I hate to sound like the morality police, especially considering how far to the left I tend to veer, but we need, in essence, to police ourselves out of respect for our online peers. This is a community of writers and fans after all. I think sometimes we all just get so passionate that we forget it’s just a game and turn into those fiercely angry hockey dads everyone hates.

That is an important thing we do have to remember, that it is just a game…I’m really happy the forum reopened. This site has become too good to go down in such a tasteless way.

Thanks LT, and keep doing what you’re doing. We all appreciate it!

13. relic says:

67 games to get 18 and 51 on a line together. Time to make a run!

go oilers!

clap clap

14. pboy says:

Nice to see it opened LT. Thanks for this!

FWIW, I had never checked out MC’s site before today and you were correct in saying that he had an excellent GDT.

Clap Clap

15. Coach pb9617 says:

I’ll throw this out there from a comment I made at MC79s joint:

27-51-18

That’s odd. Unless the blender kicks on early, the coach is forcing himself to play his most hated player by pairing him with his BFF.

16. Schitzo says:

By the second period he will have benched Penner and be double-shifting Hemsky.

17. Matt N says:

@LT:

I just wanted to say that I read this blog every day. I greatly appreciate what you do here. You donate your own time for our enjoyment. Please, keep it going and don’t be discouraged by noise on the interweb.

BTW, just a thought, blogger has a function that only allows comments by members.

18. Bruce says:

LT: The group 10-minute misconduct was a good call, enough to get everybody’s attention without pressing the issue. Thanks for opening the gate in a timely fashion.

I generally try to be respectful when I deal with people in person and there’s no reason why it should be different here. There are times when I wonder if that line gets blurred because of the nature of the beast, not to mention the failure of the emoticon.

That said, the ongoing frank exchange of views is what makes LT’s lounge such a delightful place to visit, and I hope that never changes. There’s just no reason to put the “diss” in “respect”.

Speaking of which, I have lots of respect for Ethan Moreau and what he’s done or at least tried to do for this organization. Frankly though, Ethan Moreau the hockey player has some serious shortcomings that show no sign of being addressed.

I’m a little bummed that Zack Stortini is being benched to make room for Moreau. Zack leads the Oilers in penalty minutes, whereas Ethan leads them in dumbass penalties. (Important note: the word “dumbass” refers to the type of penalty and not to the duh-duh-don’t say it Bruce who took said penalties.)

BCB will know better than I how many penalties of those types Moreau has accumulated, but suffice to say the answer is “many”. The majority of those penalties have been, to put it politely as I always try to do, unneccessary.

Like Moreau, Zorg brings energy and aggression every night, to every shift, so I’m not sure I see an upgrade there. Zack also knows how to handle the dukes — an area where, as expected, he has greatly improved this year — which is more than we can say about Moreau who has embarrassed himself in recent bouts. Not to mention injuring himself in that “team tough” foolishness with Daniil Markov.

If Eric Boulton starts running around tonight, who among the forwards steps up to him? Or does Souray get to add that to his already immense workload?

respectfully submitted,
    Bruce

19. Black Gold says:

I’d like to see 13 get some time with 83. 21 can be there too.

18-10-34 vs. power.

Put any of 12, 19 or 27 with 89 and 78.

and 4th line is 4th line, 51 and whoever.

I think 10 should be saved for 5v5.

(Great blog, LT. U’ve handled things very appropriately, keep it up)

20. Coach pb9617 says:

Souray knows better than to fight on a bum wheel. Our boy Moreau has to answer the bell.

The Penner feud has created a number of problems, and if he were back on the top, 18-51-46 might be something interesting. As it is, a guy that doesn’t deserve it is again benched for Kotalik, who actually should have a look at the milk and cookie box. Beyond that, they’ve still got Kotalik and Penner both out of position.

27-10-83
    18-51-34
    12-89-78
    19-13-21

Is an interesting lineup.

21. gary b says:

bigbigBIG game tonight. one of those games in-hand on the folks in the rearview mirror. AND a chance to tie Nashville in total wins (first tie breaker).

clap clap.

22. Coach pb9617 says:

Back when Dad had season tickets, I attended a Flames @ Pittsburgh game just after Christmas of what I think was 1979. I don’t remember alot of details, I specifically remember having a really good time with my Dad and Pittsburgh winning 3-2 on a late goal. We also got to sit in the bottom bowl because the place was completely empty. Tickets were $6 for the upper seats but every game the fans moved down. The ushers tried to make like they cared for a month, but they just gave up. They were two pretty bad teams, but the Flames had some modest upside and no one in Atlanta cared. Like now.

I do remember marveling at George Ferguson in full flight around the ice. When I see Cogliano wind it up now, I’m instantly taken back to being a kid and being awestruck at how fast the Fergie Flyer was. I remember Dad talking about how good that Porky Carlyle (so nicknamed by the two other fans in our section for his uncanny resemblance to Porky Pig as a younger man) was and Porky proving it with an excellent game.

Ron Stackhouse had a huge open ice hit that sent a Flame, my mind is telling me to say Eric Vail, sprawling all over the ice.

I also remember a kid named Kent Nilsson scampering around the ice and giving the Pens all kinds of fits until big Russ Anderson actually moved his feet and lit Nilsson up. The 6,500 or so people in the arena went nuts. Instantly, Dad said something to the effect of “European kids are soft, he won’t be a factor for the rest of the game.” He wasn’t. It most likely had nothing to do with his softness or hardness, I’m going to guess it was probably the ringing of his bell that neutralized him.

I bought a Flames pennant with my allowance money that night because I liked that Nilsson kid. I still have it the only thing in the house that is really mine any more, a keepsakes box up in the attic somewhere. Ya know, maybe that game is why I don’t really dislike the Flames that much.

Robert Nilsson recalls his Atlanta roots, awakens tonight and gets himself on the toteboard.

Clap Clap

23. Master Lok says:

Like Bruce, I’m also disappointed that Zorg has to sit out for Penner or Moreau. That being said, I have no problem with Reddox sitting out since he seemed to have a below average game in his last game.

Hey LT – I’m curious that you haven’t mentioned Pocklington’s recent arrest at all?

24. Gord says:

Nobody forced Lowe to give up a 1st / 2nd / 3rd round draft pick along with almost a $4 million raise to Penner on a long term contract; a big contract to a hockey player who did not break into the NHL until they were 23 years old.

Penner who averaged 1/2 point per game over 101 regular season NHL games in Anaheim; Penner who averaged 1/2 point per game over 34 playoff games in Anaheim.

Penner signs the contract that Lowe offered – comes to Edmonton, then averages 1/2 point per game. If I was Katz, I would be firing Kevin Lowe long before I blamed Dustin Penner.

25. hunter1909 says:

This you almost call a must game, if they have any dreams of meeting Calgary in round 1.

Oilers in 7th place?

7th or 8th when playoffs start.

Lowetide: Haven’t been able to post recently due to work. It’s a decent team tonight, remember 2004 against the Stars, unless it was 2003.

Mike Comrie getting flattened at center ice along with Todd(paycheck) Marchant.

Master Lok: Peter Pocklington is such a dividing figure and I’m afraid that anything written by me won’t be of much help.

27. spOILer says:

Coach:

Like you’re lines, but I’d prefer to flip Gagner and Cogs. I’d prefer to see a better passer with Ales2 and POS, and a better finisher with MiniMag and MAP.

28. Master Lok says:

LT,
    I’m curious what people think of Pocklington’s contributions to the Oilers. He’s well known for his Oiler subtractions, but I wonder what the Oilers would look like without him as owner?

29. Traktor says:

“It remains a shocking fact that our PiM leader, Stortini, still has not taken a single penalty for any type of restraining foul, not even 20 feet from his net let along 200. Nor has he taken a slashing penalty. That’s just mind-boggling.”

Yup.

Remarkable hockey sense from 46.

How about his stamina? Big Tonka gets the same miles per gallon as one of those dinky smart cars.

30. PDO says:

Would it kill the Flames *spits* to not cut into our game time AGAIN?

31. kris says:

I posted this at tylers too, but I felt really weird about it and decided to repost it here. I’ll never post anywhere else again darn it. I love this site too much to be unfaithful. Hope I wasn’t part of the problem LT. I feel like a lot of what I say would be less offensive if people could here sympathetic and happy tone of voice :)

—-

I need help with something we’ve been talking about for a while that I just can’t wrap my head around.

I don’t see why MacT seems to think that
    “Moreau-Brodziak-Pisani” wouldn’t work as a secondary tough minutes line, i.e. as a traditional checking unit. (To be clear, it might not work, but why doesn’t MacT try it for a prolonged period.)

I mean, he obviously trusts Moreau and Pisani and probably believes they can cover a lot of mistakes for any weak line mate, including Brodziak. And MacT obviously thinks Brodziak can take own-zone draws, even with wings that MacT loves less. And MacT has been willing to throw Reddox to the wolves PvP and the fourth line to the wolves regularly. So clearly, MacT isn’t protecting Brodziak or anything.

I mean, I’m not even saying MacT is being stupid in not putting this line together. I’m saying that given what we know about MacT’s preferences and his own views of his players that this line should make sense to him.

In other words, MacT’s use of Brodziak doesn’t seem so much dumb or wrong as it does nonsensical or self-contradictory.

Or am I missing something? And how often has this line been used?

I don’t see why MacT seems to think that

Or am I missing something.

Master Lok: There’s no doubt he was a tremendous figure in this town for many, many years. However, you have to understand that he threatened Oiler fans for a long, long time and leveraged all kinds of favor in all levels of government.

I love the Oilers, I really do. But you know what? I have a family to provide for and that’s the priority. If you ever get a chance to read the Glory Barons it’ll give you a clue about some of the things that went down.

Pocklington did some wonderful things for Edmonton and the Oilers. I’m grateful.

Was it worth it? Yeah, sure. But there’s a lot that could have been avoided and a lot of business decisions that merely prolonged the inevitable and cost taxpayers a lot of damn money.

Plus the politicians who stood up to him were quickly dispatched and that goes against the grain too.

33. Bank Shot says:

I can see where Bruce is coming from.

Stortini has played pretty well this season, but Moreau and Penner are two superior players and I believe that a line made up of the three playing tonight is better then any combination of the three that includes Stortini.

Stortini: I think he’s one of the 12 best forwards on the team, so he should be in the lineup.

Horcoff-Penner-Hemsky
    Gagner-Nilsson-Pouliot
    Cogliano-O’Sullivan-Pisani
    Brodziak-Moreau-Stortini

Kotalik could use a night off. Who else did I miss?

35. Bruce says:

Or a milk carton. I have to say the guy has been almost invisible to my eye. Nothing good, nothing bad, just nothing.

36. quain says:

Anyone catch the penalty trouble on Calgary in the first here? Nothing says smart hockey like 26 shots against in the first 18 minutes.

37. PDO says:

Anyone else watching the Flames game?

They’re being kind out shot.

… 27-3 in the first period.

38. Bruce says:

LT: I could get behind those line combos in a hurry. Agreed on Zorg being a top 12 forward, pretty specifically the 12th forward, but this is where the two for one exchange on deadline day moves some poor sap from #12 to #13.

I agree Kotalik is the next candidate to sit. He’s had three games of Golden opportunity and seemingly done jack with it. Hemmer does have 3 points the last 2, however, and as Louise points out, it is about the hemsky. That is one of the reasons that there’s no way Penner gets airlifted right back on to the first line. Get him in there somewhere, hopefully mucking his ass off, give him a powerplay shift or two and see what happens. If Kotalik continues to produce nothing, well, things happen within the context of the game that might be a tough sell before puck drop.

The toughest sell, though, is to the undeserving guy who has to wear a suit jacket. For him the context of the game is irrelevant.

39. Bruce says:

PDO: Shots are overrated. Everybody knows what’s really important is the PDO number. :)

40. Traktor says:

What is the PDO number?

41. PDO says:

Bruce: Naturally. I came up with it… of course it’s important!

I’m off to enjoy a couple beers while I watch the Oilers game and the end of this train wreck; but that was a damn funny period to watch.

42. PDO says:

Traktor:

EV S% + EV SV%…. basically trying to isolate for luck.

43. Traktor says:

Thanks.

This game won’t be over at 7:30. Beer me.

45. Bruce says:

basically trying to isolate for luck.

PDO: Please explain. If a team has a PDO of 1.017, as the Oilers did the last time I checked, is that just luck? Or do they just choose their shots differently?

To me PDO is yin to outshooting’s yang. They’re both important.

46. Chris says:

I’m glad to you have the comment section back up and running again LT. With Covered in Oil having shuffled from the mortal coil and the Oilers half of the Battle of Alberta having given up the ghost and completely discounting the insanity that is Oilfans and HockeyFutures, this is really the only good place on the net to talk about the Oilers.

I wish we could sit Kotalik too. He looks as lazy with Penner without the positive underlaying results. More realistically if we can’t sit him I’d sit Nilson. I’m afraid he simply hasn’t seemed to accomplish much at all this season so his absense wouldn’t be keenly felt.

47. Coach pb9617 says:

He averages more when out there with Horpensky.

If I was Katz, I would be firing Kevin Lowe long before I blamed Dustin Penner.

The only reason to fire Kevin Lowe now is if he’s still involved in personnel decisions over the top of Tambellini. If Lowe is still making personnel decisions, this team is more hosed than any of us realize.

Nice story, coach. Thanks for sharing.

I have a better one for an Islanders GDT. Man, I loved Billy Smith.

I had tickets offered to me for tonights Penguins Jackets game in CBus by a customer in Columbus. Unfortunately, the car is in the shop and I had to decline. Nationwide is a beautiful place to watch a hockey game and now that I’m watching on TV, I’m more pissed that I couldn’t go. This game is effing frenetic. GAH. dammit.

Your blog makes Oiler games worth having passion.

clap, clap

49. hunter1909 says:

Master Lock: You end up fast with a no-Gretzky WHA franchise.

Wow. Good enough.

50. Brett Gee 英 明 says:

I believe Peter Puck brought in Wayne Gretzky. That’s a pretty good move for this organization.

51. Lord Bob says:

Ah, good to be back.

Dustin Penner, if my calling you fat caused you to complain to LT and LT to close down his comments, I’m sorry. You’re just full-figured.

(And also our best left wing. The day Craig MacTavish figures this out is the day we start winning hockey games again. 3-1 loss.)

Anyone care to guess how many minutes of playing time we’ll miss? 7:05 now, they’re not close to starting the 3rd period.

53. Bruce says:

Anybody got an Internet link for the first half of the game? :(

Also, why do TSN doubleheaders start at 8:00 and RSW at 7:30?

54. pboy says:

kris: I’ve been beating that same drum for awhile now. Once Pisani came back, it was only logical to run Moreau – Brodziak – Pisani out there as the primary checking line. The coach has ton of confidence in Moreau, Pisani can seemingly play with anyone and the two of them have played together in the past. Brodziak is never going to be one of the top two centers on this team, so why not groom him for the 3C role and what better way to do it than by flanking him with two guys who have gone to war for the coach in the past? As you said, the coach has shown some confidence in Brodziak by putting him there to take faceoffs in his own end and on the PK, so why not go all the way and “develop” the kid? One of the real mysteries of this season but unfortunately, just one of many with the coaching decisions.

55. Black Gold says:

There’s links to three feeds here:

and one more here:

sry, i dont know html well enough to make that a link. :)
    Happy viewing.

56. Black Gold says:

I agree pboy.
    Added bonus, putting 51 as 3C puts 13 in ur top 6. Win win.

57. bookie says:

OK, I can’t take all of the pleasant banter…You are all a bunch of Ricci faced ignoramuses, the sum of your intellect wouldn’t equal Peter Pocklington’s popularity rating amongst ex-gainers workers, your hockey knowledge is less than Don Cherry having a senior moment, and your wordsmithing is at the level of a pre-game Gene Principe!

Oh No, sorry guys, I didn’t mean it, I love you all, really. Please don’t ban me LT, its like a Turrets thing, I just got to let it all out every so often. I will be good now, honest!

58. Mr DeBakey says:

The beauty of the Falmes game running late
    is that our Principe exposure will be lowered by several roentgens

59. Doogie2K says:

< a href="http://atdhe.net/live-tv.php?i=12375380&quot; >ATDHE.net link< /a >

Remove the spaces after the "<" and before the ">" to get the link.

ATDHE.net link

60. Black Gold says:

thanks doogie

61. Bruce says:

LT: Assuming you’ve got the sweater numbers down, I’m pretty sure that’s Arnie Brown in the pic. He had thick dark hair and impressive sideburns. Ed Kea, who had the shortest name in NHL history btw, was fair haired before it all fell out.

62. Coach pb9617 says:

Awe-inspiring rally from the Penguins.

Hedberg in the nets for Atlanta.

Bruce: Thanks. I remember Kea a little, he was a big guy but didn’t remember his hair color. Arnie Brown it is.

64. B.C.B. says:

Thanks for being patient with us LT, and our not perfect behaviour. Thanks for providing this form,

I as usual, I agree with Bruce about Zorg. As of my last up date (Feb 11).

Moreau: 2 tripping, 2 holding, 2 hooking, 3 slashing, 4 interference, 2 high sticking (All what I call Lazy Penalties)
    Zorg: 2 high sticking, no obstruction calls.

And Zorg still leads all Oilers in PiM, Pim/60, and Pim/GP.

I think Zorg needs to be in the line up based on the aggression and physical (Moreau is leading the team in hits 104, Ales2 100, then Zorg at 87). More Zorg, less talk.

Thanks again LT>

65. Coach pb9617 says:

Brodziak starts against Reasoner, two decent attempts at the net by Penner, then Staios.

66. dubya says:

Is it me or does Detroit lead the league in asshat fans who stand up and turn around to face the camera during game play?

Fuck, overtime.

I wouldn’t really be scared of this Detroit team in the playoffs.

67. Coach pb9617 says:

Hemsky with a bad turnover at the Thrasher’s blue leads to a 2 on 1, Kovalchuk shoots it at Roloson for the save.

68. Coach pb9617 says:

Slater scores on some really terrible backchecking cum line change that left Slater in on the net alone.

Terrible

69. Coach pb9617 says:

Cogliano gets what has to be the most undeserved minus ever on the Atlanta goal.

70. bookie says:

that was a terrible call, but I suspect that will not help Penner any

71. Cory Klein says:

Those internet links aren’t working so I’m forced to watch Detroit and Calgary take this game to OT.

72. Coach pb9617 says:

Atlanta’s annoucer, Dellacamera, calls Fernie PISS-ah-knee.

73. Coach pb9617 says:

that was a terrible call, but I suspect that will not help Penner any

Yeah, on the replay, that was completely blown by the ref.

74. bookie says:

Cory – link works, try a different browser.

75. Bruce says:

LT: Brown was a real good looking guy. Solid defenceman for a few years on the Rangers, part of the icnredible return for the Andy Bathgate trade (Dick Duff, Bob Nevin, Rod Seiling, Brown, and Bill Collins for Bathgate and Don McKenny). The Rangers rebuilt their team that day in February 1964. All the Leafs did was win a Cup.

76. more green says:

Game’s here. Good feed.

77. CM says:

anyone remember the last time the oilers beat hedburg?

78. Black Gold says:

The Atdhe.net link should be fine, the myp2p links need either a proxy or additional software (sopcast and vlc).

79. Coach pb9617 says:

The color guy stopped to explain what a dasher was.

Cool.

80. bookie says:

Coach, I remember when Fox was first covering NHL games, it was great. They pointed out things like “The puck is made from a hard rubber” and “Players shoot either Right Handed or Left and because of this they have a different curve on the blade of the stick, the blade is the bottom part of the stick that contacts the puck, which is made of rubber”

81. bookie says:

what the heck was that, why are the Oilers getting the puck near the net durring a PP?

82. Bruce says:

That’s no small break getting Hedberg (.884) instead of Lehtonen (.912, 2 shutouts in his last 3). Part of the difference is made up by shots differential, as Hedberg faces about 31 shots per 60, Lehtonen 34. It’s the same way every year with those two, Hedberg is by far the better puckhandler for one thing. Nonetheless, the difference in GAA is still pretty significant (3.00 to 3.61).

Real bad start, we’re gonna need to light this guy up.

83. Coach pb9617 says:

Oh no. a 5 on 3.

Hide the womanfolk.

84. Schitzo says:

If I was a Redwings fan and realized the trade deadline had come and gone without addressing the goalie issue… well… I’d be rather upset.

The cavalry is NOT coming.

85. bookie says:

Oh woe are we, a 5 on 3…

86. Bruce says:

Shootout in Motor City. GD it anyway.

87. Black Gold says:

HORCOFF! I never doubted u. :)

88. Bruce says:

What a pass by Grebs. The guy has a wide field of view.

89. bookie says:

WOW, Hemsky shot at the net, someone passed it through the slot, what the hell, what happened to ‘pass it to souray’?

90. Scott says:

Scorecoff! That’s good stuff as the PP was starting to get depressing. And would you look at that, Penner in front of the net and the puck in it.

91. Doogie2K says:

Scorcoff!

92. bookie says:

Nice offensive play by Reasoner, now I remember why we got rid of him…

93. Bruce says:

Hemsky with his first PPP in 11 games. Penner with the big screen.

Next challenge is to get the 5 on 4 working.

94. Coach pb9617 says:

Penner back on the PP and making troubles for Hedberg. Then a goal. I’m stunned.

Check out Kotalik on the point with Gilbert on the second unit.

95. bookie says:

Calgary Game is over… Some Yokeenan guy won it in the shootout…

96. Doogie2K says:

Check out Kotalik on the point with Gilbert on the second unit.

Maybe the Oilers really do read the blogs. ;)

Well that was easy.

98. Coach pb9617 says:

Atlanta must be a really small team because Grebs looks like a giant out there.

Oh Dustin. TERRIBLE backcheck. On the bench with you…

99. Ender says:

Maybe the Oilers really do read the blogs. ;)

With MacT’s comment about turning scorers into checkers earlier, I think that’s pretty obvious.

100. Icecastles says:

There was no way Atlanta was going to do anything but score on that quick series of disasters by Edmonton. Sigh.

101. Scott says:

Yowza. Smid looked pretty lost on that play. A lot of chasing from both him and Strudwick trying to cover for him. The attempted block was also pretty brutal.

102. Bruce says:

Wow, that on-line feed is over a minute behind.

Tough start for Smid and Strudwick. They were both out for a swim on that one.

103. Bruce says:

Is that 4 odd-man rushes so far, or 5?

104. Bruce says:

For pete’s sake, knock somebody down.

Damnit!!! That was close. This is a big game we need to be ahead in it at some point.

Just saying.

106. bookie says:

What the hell, how many close close chances have we just missed?

107. relic says:

yeah, love horc but it’d be nice to see him take the body every now and then.

108. Bruce says:

Nice dangle by Bogosian there.

109. Black Gold says:

‘..blocked by ales hemsky.”

Thats a plus. nice work hemmer.

110. Coach pb9617 says:

Except for Horcoff no one on this team is moving. They seem like the gameplan is stand around and wait, don’t worry about backchecking.

111. Bruce says:

Yeah, Ales sold out there. Not something you want to see too often, but every once in a while it’s necessary.

I didn’t see the entire period but it looked to me like Atlanta was doing a lot of really good things. They either have 3 good defensemen or one guy plays a lot.

Their goalie looks like a WHA goalie though.

113. Black Gold says:

Before we get too excited about the PPG lets not forget where ATL is ranked on the PK..

114. PunjabiOil says:

This is not good. Getting dominated in our own crib, playing against Hedberg who sports a .884 SV%.

St. Louis is beating 2-1 after 40. They’re really back into it. Dallas is beating Carolina too.

As I say, this is a must win game, and it’s too bad the Oilers didn’t come out with any urgency whatsoever.

Sad, actually.

115. Traktor says:

At least MacT has the boys emotionally engaged.

116. PunjabiOil says:

Jonathan Willis was right – the Oilers needed more help on the backend than up front.

Why Jason Strudwick is still a regular is beyond me.

117. Dennis says:

Bell had the Atl feed on the 10th CI Channel so I had the misfortune of seeing the entire period.

Chances were 12-12!!! 8-11 EV; 4-1 ST.

Probably the worst period I’ve seen all year from our Dmen. There was one shift where Atl had a two-on-one and 44 was back there alone and I don’t have a fucking clue where 24 was.

12 looks disinterested as well and I’d say he’s once again on his last legs. I’ll log the chances after the game so I’m not sure who the culprits were just yet.

118. Bruce says:

Dennis: I note the Atlanta broadcast had the scoring chances at 7-6 ATL that period.

119. Schitzo says:

Anyone flipping between this and the briar? Pretty good match right now.

120. Bruce says:

Schitzo: I am.

121. Bruce says:

Battle of the Bald.

122. Coach pb9617 says:

DVR review of the 1st shows 12 and 89 were both dragging ass on the first goal that led to the horrid change and Slater moving 140 feet without someone looking at him.

123. bookie says:

Schitzo: I used to watch a lot of curling and then one time I went to see the Brier live. It was the most boring, uneventful sporting event that I had ever attended.

I have never recovered and still cannot bring myself to watch it, even on TV…

124. Scott says:

First goal as an Oiler. It was a really nice shot down on the rush too.

125. Bruce says:

Patio! Nice shot.

What happened to Kovalchuk?

126. Coach pb9617 says:

What happened to Kovalchuk?

Sprained his whoseewhatsit a minute in on the odd man rush. Hasn’t come back.

The kids are alright.

128. Bruce says:

Row-bert!!! Man, did he ever need that one.

129. bookie says:

If its one thing we can count on this year, its a strong second period!

130. Scott says:

Well Dennis, you sure are on the money about the line getting through on some chances. Nilsson bought himself at least one more game with those two.

Maybe Penner should DH.

132. Bruce says:

Coach: Is that an upper body whoseewhatsit or a lower body whoseewhatsit?

(Got him in a pool, in first place with a month to go)

Marc Antoine seems to be fast and loose with the rubber tonight.

134. Scott says:

Coach: Is that an upper body whoseewhatsit or a lower body whoseewhatsit?

I heard that it was a back thing.

135. bookie says:

Having watched a period and a half of Reasoner, I can’t fathom that some people think that is what we need to fix this team!

bookie: Be afraid. Be very afraid.

Penman!

138. Coach pb9617 says:

Nilsson :)

That’s a shit call on Reasoner.

Is this a really small team? Gagner looks of normal size against these guys. Hm, after checking out the roster, this is a small team.

Hm. Penner off the PP for O’Sullivan. Pourquoi imbécile, pourquoi?

139. Bruce says:

Bookie: Curling is one sport where TV just kicks ass on live. Camera angles, commentators and especially live mics make all the difference.

140. bookie says:

WTF?

I don’t know what is going on here, up is down, down is up, white is black, black is white, Penner is a tough…

141. Scott says:

Apparently Dustin Penner wants to play.

142. B.C.B. says:

If Penner defend Hemsky more, I am sure he would be a health scratch less. . .

143. bookie says:

Ok, I have insulted Curling and Reasoner. Next up religion and beer!

144. Coach pb9617 says:

Nilsson might get another tonight. The ghost of Kent is strong with Atlanta.

Look at Penner out there throwing hands.

145. Scott says:

Let’s see he’s fighting, he’s playing with Brodziak…

Go Porg!

146. Black Gold says:

Did they just show that fight with out showing Mike Bishai?

Insti-GATORS. That’s a word right there. WHo’s doing color now? Peter Driscoll?

148. Coach pb9617 says:

Let’s see he’s fighting, he’s playing with Brodziak…

Go Porg!

Nah, he can still turn and skate in another direction

149. relic says:

what kind of BS call on penner is that… refs criticized so they change the rules at the end of the season? any league run by gary is a bush league.

We need some kind of in game Stan Weir chant for the PP.

WHat would work? Jessica Alba?

151. Scott says:

Is Souray really complaining about getting called for that?

Nope.

153. pboy says:

Playing Deslauriers here would not have been a bad idea. I’m not faulting Roli on these but resting him, at least once, can’t be all that stupid.

154. slipper says:

How come curling is an Olympic sport but darts and horseshoes isn’t?

You can’t conceal a curling rock.

156. relic says:

have you ever curled slipper? I may be getting old but I had trouble walking the next day. anyway I’d probably like to see it dropped before the others are added.

157. Coach pb9617 says:

I guess I can see the instigator, but wtf was the misconduct for?

158. Coach pb9617 says:

Can we at least see Kotalik in his natural position to see if he really is this shitty?

159. bookie says:

Nice Cement hand Pouliet!

160. CM says:

I would love to have Staois in my beer league team…you think I could work something out with the oilers?

161. bookie says:

How come curling is an Olympic sport but darts and horseshoes isn’t?

Not a good question to ask when Curling is one of the few sports where we are pretty much guaranteed a medal. We would suck at darts..not sure about horseshoes.

Geez, Oilers. Big game. Big game. Big game.

163. bookie says:

Pisani is learning from the Captin!

164. Scott says:

Yeah… he really hasn’t shown anything yet. The time has come for him to move somewhere else in the line-up. The problem is, I’m really not sure where.

Also, we’ve had really good luck on our 3v4 lately huh. Pretty bad play by Pisani.

165. Bruce says:

We would suck at darts

Bookie: Have you not heard of Darth Maple?

166. PunjabiOil says:

There is no reason the Oilers game should be tied at this point of the game.

Which is why it is.

167. Coach pb9617 says:

Then who would shoot 14 feet wide of the net?

Yeah… he really hasn’t shown anything yet.

He doesn’t really have much to offer.

168. knighttown says:

I mean, once you reset your expectations and realize that this team is not going to beat anyone easily, I guess that was a good period. But damn if a 3-3 tie against the 2nd last place Thrashers at home, in a must win game, without Ilya Kovalchuck leaves me feeling empty.

Blues and Jackets beat good/hot teams respectively. Stars win. Preds lose. Parise scores his 40th.

On an unrelated topic, Pouliot has an assist. Seriously thought, he’s played pretty well and perhaps he’s turning another corner. Or the same corner yet again. He’s Dale Earnhardt Jr.

169. Dennis says:

2nd period chances: 8-3; 7-0 EV; 1-3 ST.

Bruce: I did notice that and I think that maybe I should call my study shot opportunities because I clearly borrow more from Corsi than anything else. I have a feeling these guys aren’t calling anything unless it’s a SOG.

And while I have your ear;), where are we on the dumb penalties that 44 takes?:)

The Oilers came out like gangbusters but everything went quiet after 27 took the collar. It was funny because there was a draw just outside our blue and I noticed him and I was thinking, “Yeah, he’s finally back there.” Then he fights and look where it got him.

I can’t trust any team that can’t kill a penalty because you’re always a mistake away from killing yourself.

170. Fake Craig McTavish says:

PunjabiOil said…
    There is no reason the Oilers game should be tied at this point of the game.

Sure there is. Kovalchuk is injured.

171. Bruce says:

Dennis: Didn’t see the Souray penalty or the fight. Saw a replay of Exelby unloading very late on Hemsky, and I’m glad somebody stepped up, instigator be damned. Maybe that’s the NHL’s version of a clean hit, but not mine. It was late.

I guess Penner noticed he was 4th line RW and the onus was on him? Which doesn’t quite explain how he and Hemsky were on the ice at the same time.

172. Icecastles says:

now there was an Oilers-style powerplay.

They’re wearing the stupid shoes this period.

174. DBO says:

Just started watching, but looks like Nilsson is playing well, and our defensive zone coverage is still terrible. O’Sullivan looks good so far as well.

175. DBO says:

And is Penner done for the game?

He got 2, 5 and a 10 I believe but that’s probably done by now.

177. slipper says:

ATL got this Peverely fella for nothing? Fuckers.

Pretty big indictment of their line-up that a waiver claim is the team’s second most potent offensive threat.

178. Bruce says:

I think Penner is out as of this commercial.

179. Scott says:

Yeah, Penner should be available now. Whether or not he’s back, this is a mystery.

Too bad that Brodziak couldn’t bang that one in.

180. Bruce says:

Nice hit by Kotalik.

181. Scott says:

And a waiver claim from the fifth lowest scoring team in the league no less.

182. DBO says:

maybe it was a game misconduct. New emphasis on the instigator rule as per the Gm meetings maybe?

183. knighttown says:

You know who might have been worth a 7th rounder?

Rich Peverley was plucked from waivers in mid January and has 24 points in 24 games since then.

-QualComp of +.04
    -BTN +/- +4
    - +/- +7
    -50% of faceoffs
    -6′ 185lbs.
    -kills penalties
    -27 years old

…probably going to score tonight…

184. Bruce says:

This is excruciating.

185. Coach pb9617 says:

10:07
    EDM
    Dustin Penner : Misconduct (10 min) – 0 min

The coach benched him for taking a dumb penalty.

186. Scott says:

maybe it was a game misconduct.

When he got the 10 he went to the room. Maybe he separated his shoulder in the fight? Or maybe he just got a MacT misconduct?

Damn. Penalties.

188. Scott says:

Pisani and Moreau are engaging in a Freaky Friday moment.

If any of you get the reference, we can feel shame together.

189. Bruce says:

Brodziak might not be a tough minutes guy, but that was at least one tough minute on the PK. Great work.

190. Bruce says:

Scott: For that reference to work, we need Moreau to make a crafty vet type of play.

191. Dennis says:

That’s dumb shit from 34 right there. they’ve called that penalty since Oct 2005 so don’t bitch and whine about it.

Fuck.

192. Derek says:

Pisani and Moreau are engaging in a Freaky Friday moment.

If any of you get the reference, we can feel shame together.

The girlfriend made me watch it.. well she wasn’t exactly home, but there was nothing else on..? I couldn’t reach the remote? I don’t know.

193. Scott says:

I think Brodziak takes some of the toughest minutes among Oiler forwards. His DZ to OZ ratio is 2.25:1

194. Black Dog says:

Hmmm.

Maybe just tell them they’re twenty points out so they’ll loosen up?

Dennis – we’ve decided its time you come out this way. Come on man!

195. DBO says:

he must be hurt i guess (penner that is). No way he’s in trouble for coming to Hemsky’s aid. If he is in trouble from macT, then at this point the kid might as well retire because he can do nothing right.

196. DBO says:

shock, Staios dumped it out wthout making a play

197. Bruce says:

Bonehead icing by Staios in the last minute with Cogliano’s line out there.

198. Jfry says:

did penner get hurt? i didn’t see him in the third really

Bogosian looks like a player. Wonder where they’ll trade him.

Newer Comments »