Thrashers at Oilers, G67/08-09

That’s Daniel Bouchard in goal for Atlanta and Brad Park of the Rangers in on goal for a shot. The defender (#19) for the Flames is either Arnie Brown or Ed Kea.

Atlanta’s team is now the Thrashers and they aren’t as good as the Flames were in Georgia. Having said that, they have won three in a row and have all kinds of weapons to throw out there. Ilya Kovalchuk is a beauty player, Bryan Little has 28 goals and a guy named Marty Reasoner has 10.

The Oilers have recalled Theo Peckham and have some question marks for the game like Sheldon Souray and Ethan Moreau.

It’s a game the Oilers need to win.

EDIT TO ADD: An outstanding GDT (way better than mine) can be found at MC’s house. Please be respectful.

323 Responses to "Thrashers at Oilers, G67/08-09"

« Older Comments
  1. Black Dog says:

Well at least one point is better then a kick in the head.

Not checking the game out – last two games as soon as I hit the site they lost in OT (Nashville & Habs) – seriously.

2. slipper says:

Right Now by Van Halen always reminds me of a spoof ad on SNL for Crystal Gravy.

Right Now…
    … You can see your meat!

Sammy Hagar sucks.

3. slipper says:

Aww, that was close for Peverely.

4. Black Dog says:

Baby animals taste good.

I had lamb tonight.

Oh you betcha!

Marty. Party.

6. slipper says:

No fucking way!

7. Coach pb9617 says:

Good for Marty.

8. Scott says:

Marty Party!

Oh wait… that wasn’t good.

9. Coach pb9617 says:

Bruce – there’s our lob.

10. slipper says:

Marty Reasoner: A Dime a Dozen

11. mc79hockey says:

Fuck. That’s a knife. MacT wasn’t kidding with the Sakic comparisons. They deserved something in the OT.

12. BenJammin says:

Ladies and Gentlemen… it’s Marty Sakic!!

13. Icecastles says:

What are the odds that Edmonton makes the playoffs by one point, loosing every remaining game in OT? It somehow seems like it would a fitting end to this year.

14. Dennis says:

Go fuck yourself Cogliano.

15. quain says:

It’s true, MacT does turn offense into checkers.

16. Bank Shot says:

did penner get hurt? i didn’t see him in the third really

I swear I saw him in the penalty box to start the third.

17. Black Dog says:

Hah!

Turtle derby.

7th with 15 to play.

Excruciating is the word that comes to mind.

18. Jay says:

haha. Wow.

19. mc79hockey says:

What are you on Cogs about Dennis?

20. PunjabiOil says:

That’s all on Cogliano.

That dipsy crap at the blueline. He lost possession and Marty had already started the jailbreak.

22. pboy says:

Cogs was dicking around with the puck and eventually turned it over. He had two real good chances to get a shot on net but gave the puck to Atlanta instead and Marty Sakic ended our night.

23. Black Dog says:

All on Cogliano? They lost to another shit team. Again.

This team should truly be home and clear. They’re losing to squads made up of never beens, once weres and some days.

Whose fault is that again?

24. slipper says:

They showed Penner on the bench in the third as Souray came offf the ice. He must have been benched for taking the instigator when the Oilers had the PP coming.

Dick move.

25. Hoos says:

What an ultimate shame in a season of shames.

26. bookie says:

How many times did the Oilers have the puck right at the net bouncing around with the Atl goalie flopping around. Man, we needed one of those to go in…

27. PunjabiOil says:

Torres with 2 game winners against the Oilers. Reasoner with 1.

What a kick to the junk.

Dallas has caught up to the Oilers, with the oilers having a game in hand.

The team needs to start a winning streak, or they will miss it – no doubt. Minnesota, Nashville (1) and Anaheim, St. Louis (2) back. Eventually one of these teams will get on a hot streak take charge of a playoff spot.

28. pboy says:

That one was on me guys. I was just telling the wife that the difference between Cogliano and the other kids is that Cogs like to take the puck and drive wide while the other guys are more prone to try to many moves that result in turnovers. Less than 10 seconds later the puck in behind Roli.

29. slipper says:

I remember when LT likened David Staples errors to someone yelling out the scores to you from another room in the house.

A turnover results in a goal 4 on 4 and then everyone begins shouting out from the rec room.

30. Black Dog says:

So Penner (not a fan btw) steps in for once.

And he gets yanked? If Ethan does that does he get double shifted? Isn’t that how he got the C?

That’s bullshit, yeah?

31. Loxy says:

Oh snap.

32. Scott says:

I’m really looking forward to MacT talking about Marty in the post-game though. This could be awesome. Benching Penner is pretty weird since he basically did exactly what they were saying he needed to do. AND, it’s the exact same thing Moreau did a month ago, which was given the official stamp of approval.

33. bookie says:

If Penner was benched, fire MacT right now. I know I am a flip flopper, but MacT has always bugged me when he is confuses the result with the good/bad decision by the player.

So, if a player makes a good play, but by some fluke a goal goes against him, then you sit him. If a player makes a stupid move (lets say pinching when you are the last D back) but gets lucky and it results in a goal – MacT calls him a hero.

34. gary b says:

winning ugly. except for the winning part.

jeezus.

35. Black Dog says:

Yeah Scott. Exactly.

Loxy – I have it on good authority that Marty is on a plane out west at this moment. ;)

36. bookie says:

You know, I bet MacT was secretly cheering inside when Reasoner scored…

Penner was in the “tough guy” role. So the 17 minutes of penalties meant that MacT didn’t trust his legs after sitting for so long, so the 10-minute misconduct turned into a “game-misconduct”.

38. Coach pb9617 says:

Watching the third in fast forward, Penner is most definitely on the bench, I’ve seen him three times.

What absolute crap. Absolute shit.

39. Scott says:

Penner’s interview on Ched is pretty awesome. Talks about things being a crap-shoot, talks about being not hurt and being ready to go. Penner = Awesome

40. Bruce says:

The team needs to start a winning streak

How do you start a winning streak when you can’t beat the 29th place team playing their backup goalie and losing their only star in the first minute of the game?

These guys are playing so tight you couldn’t pull a needle out of their ass with a tractor.

Brutal play by Cogliano, brutal play by Gilbert, and the utter Lack of a save, and that’s that.

A little killer instinct from this team would be nice to see. They just don’t have it.

41. knighttown says:

Tough loss but I’m not going to bitch too much. They completely dominated a bad team for the last three periods and got some tough breaks. Another disturbing trend is that they can’t seem to draw any penalties anymore.

42. PunjabiOil says:

I retract my comment. Bad giveaway by Cogliano, but what the fuck was Gilbert thinking by batting that with a high stick.

Just stupid, stupid.

43. bookie says:

Could be some kind of minor injury or something, but he wanted to go out on the bench for the rest of the game (ok, I am reaching here)…

If the press does not ask MacT to explain that, I will dislike them a bit more than I do now….

44. Bruce says:

I forgot one important thing: How do you start a winning streak when you can’t beat the 29th place team playing their backup goalie and losing their only star in the first minute of the game IN YOUR OWN BUILDING?!

45. Loxy says:

Marty had to get his 200th point sometime.

46. Scott says:

The Oilers actually played well tonight though. Sure, they were playing mostly scrubs, but at least they played well. One point. Not good, but not a disaster.

47. bookie says:

Ok, then fire MacT please…

I am done supporting him, even marginally. I am just sick of his quirks.

48. knighttown says:

Re: Penner

27 took the penalty at around the 10 minute mark of the 2nd. He missed 17 minutes and I’m SURE I saw him take a shift with Hemsky in the mid third. Kotalik was out with someone that didn’t match my eye, 89 or 13 maybe? It was one of those shifts where he had a almost steal for an almost breakaway.

Anyway, Penner came over the boards and I think I remember a cross ice pass at the blueline. The problem is, the NHL event charts don’t show him. Anyone else see this?

49. Scott says:

In his interview he said he wasn’t hurt at all. He felt he was ready to go but the coach sat him down thinking his legs might be gone and he had other options playing well.

50. knighttown says:

Bruce:

Penner was definitely promoted to Hemsky’s line on the exact shift he got in the fight.

51. Chris says:

I think I just saw a tear in MacT’s eye.

52. Coach pb9617 says:

Yup. My favorite Oiler has also decided to take this hill or die trying. Get ‘em Dustin.

I think it’s time that Kotalik was sent float, float, floating away.

53. bookie says:

54. Scott says:

Columbus is gaining some clearance on the group here. Hilariously, the Blue Jackets are only four points back of their best season ever.

55. bookie says:

MacT is defending Penner in the post game interview, so thats a good sign…

56. Scott says:

The reason this team plays scared (tense) is that they are coached this way.

Penner also said he didn’t think they were tense, just unlucky.

57. Asiaoil says:

Reasoner……just too good. Take that Lowe.

58. slipper says:

Penner also said he didn’t think they were tense, just unlucky.

This might be the last sane thing published in this thread tonight.

59. PunjabiOil says:

That’s the 12th loss in the last 19 games since February 1 – just around the time Visnovsky got hurt.

Mind you, 5 of those losses have been in overtime/shootout. So 7-7-5.

.500 won’t get you playoffs.

Avalanche, Blues, Avalanche (road) coming up in the next three. Then a part of the remaining schedule that makes me uneasy (Blackhawks and Wild on the road, Detroit at home).

The next three games could be the season.

60. bookie says:

Penner also said he didn’t think they were tense, just unlucky.

This might be the last sane thing published in this thread tonight.

Thats because Penner is KLowe’s bench spy and KLowe is secretly trying to make MacT lose the room so that he can bring Gretzky in to coach this team to a Stanly Cup….

61. Dennis says:

MacT: “with a little more gamesmanship, we would’ve had that game.”

Yes, and if you forgot how to run a fucking bench, we would’ve had the win in Mtl as well.

These things seem to run counter because on the one hand I’ll slam him for not using his options properly and on the other hand I’m gonna bring up the youth. Anyway, so be it.

13 and 89 aren’t Crosby and Malkin. So, as much as I’m loving the finishing kick of 89, how many points did we waste by having so much patience with him? And for one season we had a team with actual vets – top four D had drinking stories that were 15 years old – and mid-level guys and you wouldn’t see the stupid plays that you’ve seen for the past two years.

Trying to win while really rebuilding while spending to the cap.

Seriously.

62. relic says:

I thought 19 looked good on the pk and he scored a nice goal. Pisani had a tough night but I thought 13 and 19 were going well until the hiccup at the end.

63. Scott says:

The next three games could be the season.

Nope. They’ll have an impact, sure, but we probably won’t know much more this time next week than we know now. I do hope we win all three though.

64. Scott says:

I thought 19 looked good on the pk and he scored a nice goal.

I only wish he was still playing for us.

65. Dennis says:

Nsh is fading now and we’re so hot before that they’ll regress to the mean. Same thing probably goes for the Blues.

I’d say it’s Oil, Min and Dal for the last three spots and Oil vs Wild, for comparison, have the Oil with 9/6 home/road split and Minny with the inverse.

Oil could sew it up with say a 5-1-1 streak but they just can’t put it together.

66. Lord Bob says:

I understand that Glenn Hall called Dwayne Roloson today and told him that he was overdoing it. Take that for what it’s worth.

67. Bruce says:

.500 won’t get you playoffs.

Nope. 1-1-3 in the last 5 against Nashville, Ottawa, Toronto, Montreal and Atlanta won’t get it done either. You got to beat teams like that at least some of the time.

That’s 0 GF, 3 GA in 10 minutes of 4 on 4 overtime, another special team which has shit the bed on this club.

68. bookie says:

I am sure that Roli appreciates oldtimers from the area phoning up to give him advice. Sorry, but that is just silly.

69. pboy says:

Benching Penner for the rest of the game is really inexplicable to me. He gets healthy scratched because he isn’t playing hard enough or with enough emotion, blah, blah, blah. Then this game he sticks up for our best player, takes a penalty and is benched for the rest of the game. If was any other player on the team, I doubt he gets benched for that.

70. bookie says:

Oil could sew it up with say a 5-1-1 streak.

What the hell is that you are talking about, speak English man, no body can understand that gibberish you are saying! Who has ever heard of such a thing as a 5-1-1 streak. That is like talking about bigfood or Dustin Penner’s leftovers…

71. Traktor says:

That play by Gilbert was equivalent to an outfielder trying to catch a pop fly with his cap.

Cogs turnover goes unnoticed if Gilbert does his job.

Primary error Gilbert, assist to Cogs.

72. Lord Bob says:

How disrespectful! I demand that this comment thread be shut… okay, to clarify, that was meant to be a joke based on Hall holding the consecutive-games-played record for a goalie. :P

73. bookie says:

I am now laughing at myself. I didnt catch that. OMG, thats what happens when you spend 16 hours straight working on the computer (and blogging and watching the game in a small corner of the screen).

HA, sorry…, funny me!

74. Ribs says:

Carbonneau for PP Coach/Pouliot Mentor?

Man, Marty Reasoner. Damn.

I love the idea of the system the Oil played tonight with lots of rushes and the d-men barging in past the blue line but it only works if you can consistently outskate the other team. They faired okay tonight with this but it’ll be interesting to see if they try it again before the seasons end. I kind of hope they don’t try it again against the Hawks.

Does Moreau really need the tint? He was blind to the puck even moreso than usual tonight.

75. DBO says:

So penner wasn’t hurt? Ok, all you Mact apologists better step up and admit that was a huge dick move. Slow legs my ass. The guy was having a good game, was doing everything asked of him and then he doesn’t get a chance? Mact said he had other guys going?!? Like Moreau who was slow in the third since he hadn’t played in a while. So much anger.

76. DBO says:

I liked the lineup tonight, and if MacT can just switch Penner and Kotalik I think we have our best chance of actually winning a game. Hell, i’d even sit Kotalik and put in Stortini on the 4th line. And not to rehash the point, but do we ever miss Vishnovski.

77. Jfry says:

on mirtle’s site awhile ago, he broke down pts/game for the teams…at the time, the oil were at 1.19 per game (i believe)…anyhow, the idea was that if they could continue that pace they’d make the ploffs.

so as much as these last two ties/losses suck, that 1 pt really saves us, and keeps us with a fighting chance even though or record looks like junk.

78. Rod says:

Traktor said…

Cogs turnover goes unnoticed if Gilbert does his job.

Primary error Gilbert, assist to Cogs.

Agreed 100%. Biggest goathorn’s on that play to 77. Gilbert was the main Reason Marty was in all alone. Very slow, dozy turn after Cogs’ turnover, then he was surprised to see Reasoner and finally started skating, followed by that sad swing. Never mind urgency and effort, Gilbert didn’t appear interested in getting back to the defensive zone…until too late.

Immediately reminded me of Gilbert’s brain cramp vs. Nashville at Rexall a few weeks ago. Gilbert turned the puck over at the opposition blue line, and then slowly coasted back, oblivious to Erat flying down the wing. Erat scored of course.

Gilbert’s a good player and all, but his concentration and awareness on home ice could really use some improvement. He’ll learn…hopefully sooner rather than later.

79. Thrillho says:

@dbo

So the 17 mins that Penner sat(plus the 2nd intermission) had nothing to do with him not playing in the last 4-5 mins of the game?! Come on.

He was having a good game up to that point (I liked the fight a lot), but the guy isn’t the quickest at the best of times. I doubt he’d have much jump after sitting almost an entire period.

80. Matt N says:

I am thinking he would have more “jump” than Kotalik. Anyone want to defend that trade now (2nd round pick).

81. Coach pb9617 says:

Carter was available for free.

82. heed says:

and yet this team remains in 7th. the “battle” for the final playoff spots drags on.

ps congrats marty. i wonder if anyone thinks the thrashers’ coach was playing to get to the shootout.

83. Yeti says:

And to think that all it would have taken was for Tambellini to give some Oilers underling an icy stare and say: “Get Carter”. He’d of sounded so cool! What an opportunity missed.

84. HBomb says:

Ok, so if anyone is still on MacT’s side after last night’s absolutely idiotic and undeserved non-use of Penner after his penalties expired, speak now.

I know it sounded like he was on his side for what he did after Hemsky was hit by Exelby – but to not give him another shift is just brain-dead.

And I disagree on the winning goal – primary error to Cogliano, secondary error to Gilbert. That was a bad, bad turnover from 13 – the puck has to get in deep at that point.

85. Jfry says:

@hbomb

mact’s use of penner is consistent with his use of player’s that he fails to understand. i agree with criticism, but it should extend much larger than penner. the PP, for example, is a much bigger issue by my eye than one player in and out of the lineup.

and agreed, primary error, cogliano. long shift and no thinking — get it deep and take a line change (pee wee hockey!). gilbert could have played it differently, but he shouldn’t have been in that situation.

86. quain says:

I’m as on board with MacT as I was prior to this game. I think giving him a shift with Hemsky just as an ‘attaboy’ reward would have been advisable, but Rifles only played one ES shift (he got in on the PK) after Penner’s penalty expired, which I can’t even be sure there was a stoppage to get Penner out of the box before that, and Hemsky took Penner’s slot on the line. Sounds like normal fourth line management to me.

Being angry at the root cause of this (Penner on the fourth line) was enough for me, I just can’t get upset that MacT treated him like a fourth liner because then I have to get upset that Stortini gets benched in the third and I really just don’t have enough hours in the day to bemoan every little injustice poured upon multi-millionaires.

87. Bruce says:

Agree with Traktor and Rod on Gilbert’s making the primary Error on the winner. Just watched the lowlights after a good sleep, and my gut instinct — which I have learned to trust for the most part — was to say “what the fuck is that?” at Gilbert’s quasi-comedic swipe at the puck. I was reacting to the play itself right as it happened rather than the consequences, which of course manifested themselves immediately. It was just a Dumb play, in the 65th minute of a tied game. If he can’t get it with his glove, a truly heady defenceman turns tail and bolts for his own goal line on a play like that. Can’t get caught flat footed swiping at the puck. Just can’t.

In fact Gilbert made contact with the puck, and deflected it towards Reasoner and away from Grebs. Ooops. That’s just puck luck, of course, but on that play I blame dumb luck second and dumb play first. Sheesh.

(Cogs too, HBomb. That 1-on-4 dangle just doesn’t cut it, not unless you’re Ales Hemsky. And most of the time, not even then.)

Cool to see the lob pass that Coach and I discussed yesterday, both here and on MC79′s fine pregameday thread, being critical to the decisive sequence of that evening’s game. One point I didn’t make yesterday but which is self-evident now, is that it can discombobulate opposing defencemen.

Even though I was pissed off in the moment, I gotta say that has to be one of the best milestone points for any player ever. Well played, Marty.

88. HBomb says:

Two things:

1) Bench management in general by MacT lately has been terrible. Last night was just one example of it.

2) If they were going to HS someone to get Stortini back in for Saturday (likely necessary with Laperriere and Tucker “in da house”), the guy who probably SHOULD go to the press box is one ALess Kotalik. Penner to 1LW, Stortini to 4LW.

Alas, it will probably be Pouliot or Nilsson getting scratched, and the guy moving up into the top nine will be Moreau, not Penner…..

89. knighttown says:

I’m with Quain. If you look closely at the shift charts you’ll see that there were very few opportunities to get him out there. He gets out of the box around 8:45 of the 3rd at a whistle meaning he served 18:45 instead of 17 minutes. Since 10/83/21 were on till that whistle and need to rest you’ve got:

13/19/34 till 9:19
    double shift 83 with 51/18 till 10:14
    89/12/78 till 11:38
    **10/21/83 till 12:19
    Penalty by 34 till 14:53. Horc kills penalty so,
    89/21/83 (pretty standard skill line after a PK) till 16:23.
    Then Cogs
    Then Gags

And then we’re in the last two minutes so he doesn’t play the guy who has been sitting for an hour on the game’s final shift. I can understand that. And he doesn’t play in overtime usually.

I’d say he missed 1 shift, the even strength shift at 1138 of the 3rd, but that is still a pretty crucial time and I can understand it especially if Craig explained it to 27. Since he supported him after the game, I’d say there is a high likelihood 27 draws back in on Saturday and over 50% chance he plays on the first line.

The much more important aspect was the undeniable fact that he DID get the bump onto the first line at the 9 minute mark of the 2nd. Has a good shift, drops the gloves and probably gets lots of that positive reinforcement during the intermission. He also played first power play on the 5-on-3 which scored.

Now what to do with Kotalik? Coach, any ideas?

10-27-83
    89-12-78
    13-19-34

51-85-18??

90. Bruce says:

Quain: Even I don’t get upset when Stortini gets benched in the third period. (Well, depending on the game, sometimes I do, but I understand the strategy)

HBomb/Knighttown: Not much was said about it at the time, but there were a couple of Kotalik sightings in the third period last night, certainly his best period in the four games. So tempting as it would be to bench the guy whose acquisition actually caused the logjam, if those same plays caught the eyes of the coaches as they did mine, he probably isn’t going anywhere for one more game. He’s got to produce, but I’m getting the sense he’s close.

91. till_horcoff_is_coach says:

Bookie said:
    “The reason this team plays scared (tense) is that they are coached this way. Can’t start the backup goalie, can’t put the kids together for a few games, have to rely on old workhorses, etc…

This team was best when MacT gave up on winning and just let things happen (end of last season)”

These are my sentiments so precisely that I think I will have to print that post and paste it on my fridge. I’m not arguing that MacT is good, but the team has been its best in awhile after he gave up on the season.

92. Scott says:

If, for whatever reason, this trade was necessary to complete the O’Sullivan deal, then it’s a good trade. I’d also like to see Kotalik play right wing before putting the boots to him too hard, but yeah, it probably wasn’t a good trade because…

Satan was available for free.

Fixed.

93. Dennis says:

21′s getting about two chances a game but I believe he was 13/21 chances for/against in his first three games.

I doubt MacT’s gonna swallow his pride and demote him to the 4th line, though.

94. Mr DeBakey says:

Thank-you for the breakdown

I love reading these threads

But, sometimes it gets a little
    ummm…
    Overenthusiastic in here

For example,
    the Kotalik thing is starting to take on a life of its own

95. Scott says:

I doubt MacT’s gonna swallow his pride and demote him to the 4th line, though.

It’s unfortunate, but I agree with this line of thinking, although I would like to see 18-51-21 together. Moreau and Brodziak are both pretty good puck retrievers and Kotalik’s game might blend well with them. I think the guy I’d like to see him play with the most is Pouliot since that guy’s always thinking pass and Kotalik seems to like to find shooting areas to wait for the puck. But 12-78-89 have been going well for a few games here so I don’t want to break that up.

96. Coach pb9617 says:

Now what to do with Kotalik? Coach, any ideas?

The press box is lovely, or so I hear. But he’s not getting scratched. He’s Hemsky’s bestest friend and it would require overcoming the egos of the GM and coach.

It’s really gummed up the works though, that’s for sure. You can’t break up Nilioter as they seem to be doing okay against the softer shifts. Clearly Horcof, Ales, Negative Ales isn’t going anywhere.

With the remaining guys, I think i’d really like to see:

27-51-34
    18-13-19

I can’t see 27-51-34 not being able to handle second toughs, and in fact, they might be able to do the same work that the first line does with negative Ales bringing them down.

I’d also let O’Sullivan have a chance at taking draws on the Cogliano line. If Pouliot can do it for Gagner, why can’t Cogliano cede the dot?

Satan was available for free.

Satan is actually much better with the puck, to my eye at least.

97. Rod says:

Bruce said:

Given the focus earlier in the day on the topic of long passes and lobs, as soon as the pass to Reasoner went into the air I knew we were doomed. :-) Quite an exclamation point on the discussion anyway. Good point on throwing the defender off. Certainly gets them out of their comfort zone.

98. Schitzo says:

Anyone else notice that Kotalik looks really uncomfortable playing “defence” on the PP whenever Atlanta got the puck out?

And not just normal “forward on defence” discomfort, this was like he hadn’t skated backwards since he was 12.

99. Coach pb9617 says:

I have two pictures in my head and can’t find either highlight on Youtube. The first is a Coffey lob getting plucked on the first bounce by 99 as he breaks in on Bryan Hayward and scores. The second is a Murphy lob that Lemieux scoops in stride makes a move, drops it to Mullen for a one-time goal against the Rangers, I think.

Like Rod said, when I saw the lob go up, I just giggled because I knew it was over given our discussion today. I was happy to see 19 grab it.

100. Scott says:

I think he was playing D in Buffalo as well and they’ve only allowed 3 SH goals so far this year so it doesn’t seem to have caused too many problems there.

101. bookie says:

Sorry, I missed the Memo, so Kotalik is the new whipping boy now?

He has played poorly at times, but I have seen him make more hits and take more pucks away from opposing players than many other Oilers. He has had quite a few grade A chances by getting open for great one-timers (though he has flubed them). The point is that the guy has managed to at least get in good one-timer position, even if his timing is a little off. Lets give him a few more games to get comfy before we run him out of town.

102. namflashback says:

re: Penner

Did he receive the agressor penalty as well? 2-5-10 and the game?

Wouldn’t that explain him not being on the ice at all?

103. Scott says:

Did he receive the agressor penalty as well? 2-5-10 and the game?

No he did not. He was on the bench.

Sorry, I missed the Memo, so Kotalik is the new whipping boy now?

I don’t think the criticism is unwarranted. The top line hasn’t played very well with him on it and he himself hasn’t been very impressive. He does find open space well but I really haven’t been seeing him winning the battles much at all like you have. I’d prefer to see him moved down in the lineup.

The transaction itself was strange because the Oilers could have had Satan, who is probably a better player, for free and kept the 2nd round pick.

104. Traktor says:

Self-inflicted wound #143:

MacTavish makes the mistake of playing Cole out of position all of preseason and a large portion on the regular season.

Now that in itself isn’t the major issue. MacTavish made a mistake and the only way to learn in life is from your mistakes.

The problem?

Not even a few days after we traded away Cole MacTavish played and continues to play Kotalik out of his natural position.

You really have to wonder how anyone can even label MacTavish an average coach.

105. PunjabiOil says:

In other news, Katz went from 2.1B net worth down to 1.5B net worth this year.

106. Schitzo says:

In other news, Katz went from 2.1B net worth down to 1.5B net worth this year.

I can’t even begin to imagine the range of emotions that must create.

I lost HOW MUCH??? That’s more than a quarter of my net worth! What do I have left? Oh, okay.

107. relic says:

@Trak

how do you know he’s playing out of position?

When he arrived he said he plays either wing. Cole for example stated a preference for the right side, did he not?

Kotalik reminds me of Sykora with a little more physical and a little less shooting.

108. Bruce says:

PJO: Important point.

re: Kotalik, he made a wonderful play in the third to sweep check Bogosian deep in Atlanta territory and then dove to feed the loosened puck to Hemsky, who ultimately set up Gagner for the best chance of the thid period, and Hedberg’s best save of the game. He also got a real good shot away and tattooed some Thrasher in the corner. On the flip side, he took a comical tumble deep in Oiler territory when, skating backwards and reaching for the puck, he appeared to trip over the corner of the net, assumed a sitting position in mid-air, and crashed to the ice right on his royal Ales.

re: Satan. He is a Slovak. The two Aleses are both Czechs. Not sure how much difference that makes, or should make, but Hemsky and Kotalik did play together in the Olympics, whereas Satan has never been anything but a rival.

109. knighttown says:

Clearly Horcof, Ales, Negative Ales isn’t going anywhere.

I’m not too sure Coach. Fact is, Penner DID get the bump to 1st line duty at the 9 minute mark of the second. Either it was a mistake by MacTavish or Horpensky was being reunited. Or, I guess its possible Penner ate Kotalik.

Penner:
    -got the bump
    -responded to a jackass cheap shot that was by throwing down
    -said the right things in the post game

I’ll bet you an Ales Kotalik rookie card Penner is our #1LW on Saturday.

110. Showerhead says:

In good news land, we should all be giving doritogrande a pat on the back if indeed it was him at my bar yester-eve. Cheers big guy!

111. Coach pb9617 says:

Sorry, I missed the Memo, so Kotalik is the new whipping boy now?

It’s two-fold – a very productive player was benched in order to make room for him to play out of position.

Secondly, a valuable pick was traded away for a guy that a team in a playoff spot (at the time) was will to get rid of.

Thirdly, he’s a floater on a team of floater and munchkins.

112. knighttown says:

@Bruce on the Gibby/Cogs screw up

I’ll respectfully disagree although, since you watch things 14 times on PVR I expect you’ll hand my lunch to me when it’s time for cross examination.

My dad and his buddies play a game they call “polo”. It’s not real polo with horses and shit. It’s more like extreme croquet. They get their mallets custom built in New Zealand and get an iron-worker to create the hoops that have about a millimeter of clearance for the ball to get through and the posts are so unforgiving you even glance it and the ball bounces away. As well, the balls weigh about 5-8 pounds each.

Their obsession is now to the point that my dad’d doctor friend built his mansion and put in a custom “polo” field with lights and obstacles, both natural and man made. The older generation call themselves Titans and since I was a kid it’s been my dream to one day become a Titan myself. I’ve been elevated to pseudo-Titan, neo-Titan and now, after a good weekend in Ingonish in the fall, Titan-in-Training (TIT). However, at 33, it’s starting to look like full blown Titanhood may never happen for as long as the geezers are still alive.

The point of the preamble is to bring up a rule they have called a “mental error”. Polo is always played under the influence of something and, since they are all 60+ they’ve decided that a player should not be punished for an error that comes from not being complete aware of one’s surroundings. If for instance you attempt a shot and leave your ball next to an opponents ball that was hiding in long grass, you can appply for a do-over because you weren’t aware that ball was there if you can honestly say that if you were aware, you would not have attempted the shot.

On the other hand, a reckless or poor shot with full knowledge of the situation is NEVER given a do-over (like a mulligan in golf). A mistake from intent is punishable and is usually rewarded with catcalls, insults and your ball being “sent” across the field and into some ridiculous predicament.

Andrew Cogliano made a choice to fuck around with the puck at the blueline, on the backhand and even turned backwards at one time. He was at the end of a shift and went at two players with no speed. And then, when he lost the puck he got left in the dust by Marty Reasoner. Those are errors of intent and his ball(s) should be sent across the field.

My take on Gibby was that he was in pretty close to Cogs trying to figure out what in Sam hell was going to happen. He and Grebs had shifted sides so he was on his one-timer side. His stick was in position to make a stick play, that is, 2 hands on it to receive a pass, pokecheck, shoot whatever. When the turnover happened, I would guess he had his body contorted so that he could get his stick on a wide pass to Reasoner, again on his off-wing. Not easy to do. When the flip pass came it completely crossed him up.

I’ve done it myself playing hockey where I’ll glove down a pass no problem if I’m in “defensive posture” but forget to take my hand off my stick and miss gloving it down if I’m in “shooting position”. I think if Gilbert hadn’t had 14 other things confusing him (defnesive to offensive stick position, last man back, 5th finger on orange in Guitar Hero) he would have gloved it down no problem.

That’s a mental error in my dad’s books or a reactionary error not unlike tipping the puck in your own net trying to break up an odd man rush. Sure it’s a bad play but not something that you can give the guy too much grief over. If Reasoner was my dad, he’d have let Gilbert have a do-over.

113. Dennis says:

SH: I guess that means he should’ve went home happy;)?

21 has been getting some chances but he’s coming up lame on the scoring chance line so I”m not overly impressed.

But we’ll see how it rolls because MAcT’s painted himself into a one-shot scorer corner;) with 21 and 18 only plays 4th line when we’re in the Finals.

114. Scott says:

In other news, Katz went from 2.1B net worth down to 1.5B net worth this year.

Given that a lot of his net worth is probably tied up in his business this can’t be too surprising. The TSX lost more than a quarter of its value this past year, so Katz’ really isn’t doing too bad on a relative basis since both his company and investments are holding their value better than most.

115. Coach pb9617 says:

I’ll bet you an Ales Kotalik rookie card Penner is our #1LW on Saturday.

Done.

116. Master Lok says:

bookie said…
    You know, I bet MacT was secretly cheering inside when Reasoner scored…

I couldn’t help but smile too.

117. Rod says:

@knighttown

For me the issue with 77 on Marty’s milestone goal was Gilbert’s slow, lackadaisical turn to get out of the Thrasher zone. No awareness at all. You mentioned the Titans have an excuse for missing things. Not so sure that applies to NHLers.

As I mentioned earlier, it totally reminded me of the game winning goal Erat scored for Nashville @Rexall at the beginning of Feb. Gilbert skating back like nothing’s going on…only to look around and finally get going…way too late.

118. knighttown says:

Yeah, I read that earlier Rod. I do remember that goal and it was brutal on a night he was pretty bad from beginning to end if I recall.

It could be argued that I’m making excuses for him but to me he’s Nick Lidstrom Lite.

-Very good stick.
    -Wonderful ability to read and react as shown by his instincts in the defensive and offensive zone.
    -Some of the best feet in the NHL. Watch him versus the Sedins. He is one of the few that doesn’t fall for the numerous cycling passes through the skates.

On that Erat goal, he looked around and saw nothing. Then he used his Spidey-Sense we call instincts and “felt” nothing. If the critique is that Tom Gilbert screwed up on those two plays then I’m on board. If it goes to the point where there is some perceived “weakness” in his game, I can’t support it.

Fernando Pisani, an intelligent and unselfish player takes two boneheaded penalties.

Tom Gilbert, an instinctual player and our best read-and-react defenseman gets beaten on a read-and-react play.

Shit happens.

119. Rod says:

True enough, it does.

If I sounded like I don’t like what Gilbert brings to the game, that was bad writing on my part. He is young though, and all players have room for improvement. Consistency is one area for 77 (he seems to either “on” or “bad”…not much in between). Some games he fights the puck, and others he’s tremendous. He’s still new to the NHL really, so that’ll all come around in time.

At most, those two goals are additional indicators about consistency. As you pointed out, Gilbert usually reads and reacts well.

120. Bruce says:

“I probably should have just pivoted and gone back to get the puck. I probably would have beat him to the puck. I got myself stuck and just missed the puck.”

– Tom Gilbert

121. Bruce says:

PS: It was a great play by Eric Perrin.

122. Bruce says:

Rod/KT: re: Gilbert’s play on the Erat and Reasoner goals … add one for the Torres goal in the third period of that 1-0 loss to CBJ, in which Tom was badly caught out of position, not reading the play and not skating while Torres cruised down his side of the ice to score the game’s only goal. Another home game, another inopportune time, and another game-losing goal against.

The guy does lots of things right, but that’s a pretty significant list of game-costing screw-ups just in the last few weeks. He needs to be better.

« Older Comments