Wild at Oilers, G76/08-09

This is Jacques Lemaire as a Montreal Jr. Canadien, mid 60s. I’ve spent a lot of time reading about the history of the game and there were teams that (by design) stifled offense before Lemaire arrived in the show.

The mid-50′s Bruins teams were a bruising bunch who spent some years offensively challenged and were put together in an attempt to win games 2-1. The Bruins made the finals in 1953 with the lowest GF total in the NHL (152 in 70 games, same total as last place NYR) but they won all the close games in the quarterfinals against Detroit to make the final.

The St. Louis Blues of expansion played “kitty-bar-the-door” hockey effectively, and they used physical intimidation to do it.

Lemaire is an interesting character in that many people hate him. HATE him. I’ve heard fans say he ruined hockey, his teams play porridge hockey, his teams lack passion.

His teams also win, and Lemaire learned from a lot of people and spent time everywhere. Seriously. Many people are unaware that Jacques Lemaire has been a coach in Switzerland, the NCAA-2 and the QMJHL along with his NHL success.

The are rumblings that Lemaire may not return to the Wild next season, which would probably cause rejoicing in many NHL towns. For me, I’d like to see Lemaire as the next coach of the Edmonton Oilers should Craig MacTavish resign.

Why? Well when he coached the Longueuil Chevaliers in the Q, his club finished in 3rd place but made it to the league finals. His NHL won-loss record is 535-465, and that includes OTL’s. That winning percentage (.535) includes a Stanley and two Jack Adams, but it also includes the trials of coaching a flat out expansion team.

What would a Jacques Lemaire-coached Oiler team look like? More Jim Dowd’s, fewer Liam Reddox’s. More staying in the lane, more standing up at the blueline, more time in neutral, more 2-1′s.

More W’s, in fact. I’m a MacT backer, in my opinion he’s the best option for next year after flying so many sorties with so many kids. That aside, if I must choose another coach it would be a fellow who is even more button-down that Craig MacTavish.

Jacques Lemaire. He probably still starches his shirts.

I don’t have much to say about tonight’s game. It’s a must-win against a team that makes you bleed out slowly. I’ve told my wife that if grumpy behaviour rears its ugly head tonight she’s supposed to turn the TV off and take the dog for a walk.

And we don’t have a dog.

281 Responses to "Wild at Oilers, G76/08-09"

« Older Comments
  1. Coach pb9617 says:

Is Grebs the Adam Oates of d-men…twice he was wide open for a shot and held on for pass that didn’t culminate in anything too special

Wow, after the second passed opportunity, I said out loud to no one in particular “Who the hell are you Craig Janney?!”

2. PDO says:

I just told my friend the hockey gods hate us, and that we should sacrifice his brother.

Moments latter, Kotalik scored.

Kid had a good life.

3. PDO says:

The Oilers haven’t tied up a game once this season with their goalie pulled.

Is tonight the night?

4. Black Gold says:

Who’s projected to go in that range in the draft this summer?

U’d never guess, it’s a couple midgets in that range, Schroeder and Ellis.

5. Coach pb9617 says:

Never

Cornell loses. I hope Nash stays in college another year. Win that thing, kid.

7. Icecastles says:

Puck, goalie, opponen, who carest! Just shove fucking everything in the net! I like it.

8. PDO says:

A) Why was that not icing?
    B) How was there not a penalty? Horcoff got molested in front of the net.

I’m sick of having to beat officials too….

9. danny says:

Active defensemen.

Why does this only happen when we are losing with 2 minutes left?

Too bad about Smid. Kid had a nice season.

Bring on Marc Crawford! -).

12. Scott says:

At least Gagner won the faceoff.

13. gary b says:

FORE!

14. oilerdago says:

Well, 6 games to really see what Peckham has…unless MacT wants to keep him on the bench next to JDD and put one of the forwards back on D so we waste him too.

Sorry, but this was a game where Roli was obviously weary and let in soft goals. When you are playing desperate for half the season because the coach has mis-managed your goalies, these kinds of things happen.

I’m not blaming Roli for this loss. But this is one of those where a lack of foresight costs the team yet again.

15. Dennis says:

That’s how I saw it.

16. Black Dog says:

Ever see that National treasure movie? Its terrible but Diane Kruger is so beautiful. Looks like one of your favourites, LT, Grace Kelly. Perfect.

Marc Crawford. Ugh.

Still, this mess is going to result in a lot of change and its going to start behind the bench.

17. pboy says:

It would have been nice to see the urgency they played the last 6 minutes of the game with for 60 minutes. Not really too much to expect either considering the importance of this game but it also isn’t that surprising.

The last 3 games have been of the “must win” variety and they have taken 2 of a possible 6 points and they were lucky to get out of Anaheim with those 2. Limping to the finish and missing the playoffs again isn’t going to leave an attractive impression on this fan base.

18. Coach pb9617 says:

I hate to leave you but I really must say…

A time to be born, a time to die
    A time to plant, a time to reap
    A time to kill, a time to heal

19. Jon says:

A silver lining of this season may be JFJ, he has looked real good since coming back. Pencil him in for next season with the 2003 line.

JFJ– Poo–Storts

20. Icecastles says:

Coach let me paraphrase your post to express my current feelings:

Die. Reap. Kill.

21. Jon says:

“Has Kotalik ever scored a goal outside of the shoot out and his office at the top of the circle there?”

At least Kotalik has an office, too many offensive oilers this year that forgot their offence, without Kotalik’s timely goals we could be in the top 10 of drafting by now

22. oilerdago says:

This team is going to have some very tough decisions to make this summer because I’m not sure they are as close as some people think they are in the west.

There is talent to be sure, but a lot of questions @ each position.

But first the new coach and the 2 GM’s better finally figure out what kind of team this is supposed to be. Once they do that will determine who is back.

What makes it tougher is that the west will be even harder next year.

There are 3 up and coming young teams (Columbus, St. Louis and Chicago); a couple of very good ones at the top (Det, SJ). Van will always be competitive with Loungo, Cal – you have to wonder how big there window is, Min – a team that could also face some transition; Ana who still has enough and LA who’s got a lot of talent that picked up valuable experience (as did Phoenix).

23. Black Dog says:

Yeah for all the hacking on Alesser, he has what, four goals (albeit one EN) and the two shootout goals besides.

Minus 14 at chances at ES, what’s that -1 a game?

A lot of guys have done worse.

24. gogliano says:

Tonight our chances of making the playoffs dropped by 27%, according to sportsclubstats.com

A terrible night all around.

25. Temujin says:

7:55 through to the end of the clip. Especially 9:45-9:55. If that doesn’t summarize the situation, then I don’t know what does.

26. Coach pb9617 says:

27-10-83
    19-89-13
    ??-51-34
    22-78-46

4-77
    71-37
    97-5

??

46.8 million with no starting goalie, third LW or 7th D and 13th forward :)

27. Fake Craig McTavish says:

I thought #10 looked pretty good tonight.

28. Black Dog says:

Roli on a one year deal, if he would sign with the Oilers (3.5-4), a grinding LW to play the toughs and not take dummy penalties (1.5) and 1.5 tops for the bottom of the roster.

Doable but the next year is where the trouble starts coach.

29. HBomb says:

Christ almighty, so Moreau takes a dummy penalty in the first that costs the team a goal in essence, but the hustle he shows on the Pisani goal is enough to net him 3rd star?

I seriously fucking hate the media in this town. Almost as much as I hate the Wild or MacT’s coaching.

Lord Bob: simple solution to your problem – stop drinking diet soda. Immediately.

30. Coach pb9617 says:

Doable but the next year is where the trouble starts coach.

Out goes Pisani and Vishnovsky and in comes Peckham and Wilhorny.

Bouwmeester – Gilbert
    Smid – Grebeshkov
    Peckham – Wilhorny

There’s an extra 6.5 million freed up.

31. relic says:

MacT also singled out 18 as a difference maker and a guy doing the right things which lead to a goal (don’t think he was talking about the ones against).

32. rickibear says:

If we continue to play like this we will be able to select #9 in the draft. One behind Toronto.

When I realized this I got that scalp tightening start to a migrane.

Must go lay in the dark now!

33. Black Dog says:

coach – yeah I guess its always doable

I wonder what Katz thinks about spending all of that money. I would have to bet that he’s not too pleased.

34. HBomb says:

Fuck me, but at this point, callous as it sounds, I wish his fucking eye had been damaged to the point of forced retirement. Enough of this stupid worship of a shitty fourth line LW with minimal hockey IQ.

35. Dennis says:

It wouldn’t surprise me in the least if we offer an overpay this summer to 21 and in the meantime offload 27 to a team that’s got a guy with say only two years left on a bad contract.

I get what Pat is saying when he opines that guys have been worst but he really seems like a poor man’s Petr Syokra from where I’m sitting.

And, yes, I heard the MacT quotes on 18′s night as well. If you’re a kid on this team, you don’t know your ass from a hole in the ground.

I”ve argued all along that we’re asking a lot for 13 to be a top three pivot and 89 to exploit the soft min that 10 provides and the failures of those kids have really hurt us. All the same, we need more out of the vets when you’re already humstrung by developing youth while trying to win.

18′s a case we’ve gone over and over again to the point where there’s no dissenting opinion but let’s talk about Souray for a second.

I love the guy’s goal scoring ability and I love his bully act but he can’t be throwing the puck up the middle or into the slot once or twice a game and he can’t mug James Sheppard when it has absolutely nothing to do with negating any kind of scoring chance whatsofuckingever.

I think it’s a good idea to start with the players who should out-perform their contracts in 09-10:

Hemsky 4.1M cap hit
    Gilbert 3.5M cap hit
    Gagner 1.625M cap hit
    Cogliano 1.133M Cap hit
    Pouliot .825M cap hit
    Stortini .700M cap hit
    Peckham .600M cap hit
    Jacques .525M cap hit

That’s not bad, you know. Gagner, Cogliano are in the final years of entry and have a nice foundation. Pouliot is well priced too and of course Hemsky’s is a dream.

Lots of options, including sending some of these overpriced fellows to Poughkeepsie.

37. Coach pb9617 says:

Penner-Horcoff-Hemsky
    O’Sullivan-Gagner-Cogliano
    Veilleux-Brodziak-Pisani
    Jacques-Pouliot-Stortini
    MacIntyre

Bouwmeester-Gilbert
    Vishnovsky-Grebeshkov
    Klesla-Smid
    Peckham

Roloson
    Deslauriers

53.7 million, with $7.6 coming off in Roloson, Klesla and Pisani after the year.

39. Dennis says:

LT: I’d like to believe that’s indeed an option but until we see Katz give such a go-ahead, I’ll imagine that it’s not.

40. HBomb says:

Lowetide: Roloson’s been great, but they’d be better overpaying on a one year deal than giving him a second year.

A multi-year deal for a 40 year old goalie? Unwise.

HBomb: Someone will do it. If they sign Roloson for 3.5×2, can’t they trade him to some poor team who needs the cap number for the 2nd year? Didn’t Asshole Lou invent that?

42. HBomb says:

Lowetide: No gambling on a second year like that going into a season where the cap is likely to drop. They’d be completely screwed if his game went south.

Dennis: You’re going to hate Katz by fall. He’ll introduce Buchberger as the coach and tell us about nights at the lake picking Bucky’s brain and knowing he was the next coach years ago before he bought the team.

Bucky’s Mixture. Tastes awful, but it works. I swear.

44. Traktor says:

This year is Roli’s swan song – whoever signs him next year will regret it IMO.

A 2 year deal is just crazy.

As good as he’s been this year I doubt he gets more than 2.5 million on a 1 year deal.

Edmonton would be better off going after a Euro like Jonas Gustavsson or packaging some assets for Halak.

45. Coach pb9617 says:

Andrew Cogliano update:

2W – 8L tonight completes an awesome 3W 12L weekend for 20%.

That puts him at 41W 138L in his last 18 games — 23%

He needs to go 56%, 18W 14L over the last six games to avoid becoming the worst faceoff man of the decade.

46. oilerdago says:

If Bucky gets the job (and how I pray he does not), Penner might be one of those with a new address next season.

I say this now, but I think part of MacT’s undoing is the way he’s been totally overboard on Penner. Not saying that at times, Penner has not needed a kick in the tail, but he’s gone to extreme’s with him and I’m disgusted by the digs taken at him on the post game show now and the love for Moreau (who I bet Bucky would want back too).

Ugh.

47. HBomb says:

Bucky’s Mixture. Tastes awful, but it works. I swear.

Such a scenario is 100% unacceptable.

48. Jon says:

I’ve mentioned it a few times but it needs to be said again, the oilers need to trade for or offer sheet Josh Harding. A combo of him and Rollie/labarbera.auld/fernandez would be fine by me.

49. Coach pb9617 says:

And this, folks, is why the coach must go. Thecaptainethanmoreau can follow him out of town.

Bring on Dineen, Fitzgerald or Capuano.

HBomb: WHAT in the Oilers way of doing business since Katz took over tells us they’ll go out and find a Hitchcock, a Quenneville, a Ruff?

WHAT?

51. Jon says:

Bucky is not getting the job…no way, no how. Katz wants the big ticket and will sign Tom Renney in the hopes of getting Jagr…only for jagr to sign in pittsburgh. You heard it hear first.

52. Coach pb9617 says:

Cogliano are in the final years of entry and have a nice foundation.

Not at freaking center.

53. Coach pb9617 says:

and I’m disgusted by the digs taken at him on the post game show now

Please elaborate.

54. Coach pb9617 says:

Pittsburgh is in cap hell. They can’t afford the pill, let alone the poison to get Jagr back into the fold.

55. oilerdago says:

Coach,

Same old crap. Penner didn’t use his body enough, he didn’t separate people from the puck. He only had one good shift (and the Grebs wasted it).

I’m not saying that Penner is perfect, but he’s become the convenient whipping boy. No one forgives his mistakes and yet for example, the captain can do no wrong.

I’m over it.

56. Black Gold says:

LT: Gilbert 3.5M cap hit

nhlnumbers.com has him listed at a $4M cap hit.
    I don’t know if they got it right though.

57. Traktor says:

Can someone tell me how much time the kid line has played together this season?

I know they didn’t get much done to start the season but nobody did much first month of the year. For all the blending that’s been going on it’s pretty amazing that the kid line didn’t get a 2nd or 3rd chance.

58. Dennis says:

LT: I Did love your Bucky tagline:)

In any case, we miss the playoffs anyway so what’s the difference?

59. Coach pb9617 says:

That would require Cogliano to move from center. When you’ve got a dominant center like him, you keep him there.

60. pboy says:

People can continue saying that MacT is a smart coach all they want but if he really thinks Moreau played a good game and that Penner was part of the problem than I have to believe Craig MacTavish is a fucking moron. I’ve thought that for awhile now but there’s the clincher. No MacT, no Moreau next season and it’s addition by subtraction. If there was a real media presence in Edmonton, he would have been given the pink slip before the All-Star break.

61. HBomb says:

oilerdago: Who’s taking those digs at Penner? Callers, media, or MacT?

62. oilerdago says:

HBomb:

Tencer was taking the digs on his show. It was in the wake of MacT's post game comments where he's defending the coach and putting the blame on the team for the performance.

It's not an original comment but again, a convenient one.

Why not say the same thing about Moreau's stupid offensive zone penalty? "Against a team like the Wild, you have to play smart because you won't get a lot of chances and we can't keep shooting ourselves in the foot w/bad penalties"?

Only Stauffer (between the 1st & 2nd Period of the game) made a reference to this – but no one had the stones to bring it up after the game because 18 made 1 good play (resulting in 34's goal). So he gets another pass.

I'm not saying some guys weren't passengers tonite, but some of the excuses are too convenient.

I keep waiting for someone to mention the goaltending. We all saw it, right? Soft goal to make it 2-0, and then the final goal was either a fluke tip or a whiff.

64. HBomb says:

Lowetide: Roloson didn’t have his best night. But he single-handedly beat Anaheim on Friday. Time for the other 18 guys on the ice to bail him out for the first time in, what, weeks?

oilerdago: Tencer’s a spineless shill. Seriously, talking about him hitting 300 wins as if it’s some big achievement.

That’s 300 wins in 8 seasons. In other words, what, an average of 37-38 per season?

By my math, that’s less than .500. Mediocre. Enough to get a guy fired in many other organizations.

65. pboy says:

Those are my thoughts as well. Roli has been keeping this team in alot of games they haven’t deserved to be in, so even though he didn’t play great tonight, you can’t really hang it on him. This was the type of game where they had to figure out a way to outscore the other team someway, somehow. If they put forth a little more consistent effort, that might have been possible.

HBomb: I don’t think any of us think this team is good enough to overcome two soft goals. And Roloson did steal a win the other night, but a team run by rational people would have two goalies who could play at this level at the ready.

67. Fake Craig McTavish says:

Lowetide said…

Whiffs don’t lose games do they LT?

68. rider guy says:

There you go LT. In a season full of decisions that make anyone with half a brain scratch their head, the mismanagement of the goaltending situation is far and away the most vexing, imo. The “braintrust” that’s running this team was so sure that if they sent JDD to the minors someone was going to grab him and keep him on their 23 man roster for the rest of the season, yet they don’t have enough faith in the guy to start 1 freaking game in the last half of the year. It’s beyone stupid. If someone was stupid enough to grab the guy and pay him an NHL wage, go ahead. Regardless of how much Garon had struggled this year, at least he could step in and give you reasonable goaltending in 6 or 10 games in the last half of the season. But that ship sailed when they cut the legs out from under Garon and now we’re left with a 39 year old guy who has been the best player on this team by a freaking mile all year long, but at some point he’s got to show a crack or two. Any normal goalie would. I don’t hang the weak goals tonight on Rollie. It’s 100% on whoever the hell in the front office screwed up the goaltending situation to begin with. I think it says alot about how the goalies were handled when 2 years in a row, the guy who was supposed to be your back up ends up as your starter, and the guy who was supposed to be your starter can’t stop a beach ball.

69. Bruce says:

Well that was just as painful as Thursday. Nashville, win. St.Louis, win. Anaheim, win. Minnesota, win. Edmonton, Regulation loss.

Those regulation losses are killers. Nashville has just 2 in their last 17 (10-2-5), St. Louis just 7 in their last 34 (21-7-6). Oilers meanwhile stumble badly down the stretch, having lost 4 of their last 5 in 60 minutes.

Same old, same old, fall behind early, then come on gangbusters at the end and fall just short. In those four losses we scored exactly 1 goal total in the first 2 periods (*4 = 8 periods), and three times we scored a useless fucking goal to cut a 3-1 deficit to 3-2 when it was too goddamn late to do any good.

Where is that offence earlier in the game when it can do us some good? Everybody and his dog was saying you can’t afford to give up the first goal against Minnesota, yet they walk into our building with the league-mandated minimum amount of rest and by the 10-minute mark it’s already 2-0 and it’s pretty much game over by then. I didn’t see enough of the game to comment on the specifics, but I’ve seen enough games follow the same pattern, especially on our ice, where we forget to fucking show up until 9 or 10 o’clock. Then it’s damn the torpedoes and we look like the better team, but so what? We lost. Where the Fuck is that intensity in the first period? The second??

Or is “intensity” what you call getting your 43rd DumbAss penalty of the season and “setting the stage” with that all-important 1-0 deficit?

Time for some serious housecleaning around here.

70. fengfk2008 says:

二手家具又便宜又好用
    好的搬家公司介紹你
    好喝的茶葉哪買呀!
    A片好多妹妹能看
    SEO排名不好玩= =
    何謂SEO排名呢?
    SEO怎麼排比較快上!不告讓你啦
    優良搬家公司請找黃頁來看
    搬家公司怎麼選擇比較好
    清境農場很適合休閒去處
    真煩

71. hunter1909 says:

I’m afraid I really have to go with fengfk2008 on this one.

72. Rod says:

Lowetide said:

WHAT?
    —–
    The hiring of Tambellini. If they’re smart enough to make that move, they’re easily aware that Bucky should be no higher than 1616th on the list of those qualified to coach in the NHL.

Besides, how would they ever sell Bucky as a change from MacT?

Many, many better options out there, and there could be more after the season. For example, Dallas has tanked worse than the Oil…will Tippett be pushed out?

73. Jon says:

Lowetide said:

WHAT?

What about righting a previous wrong and bringing someone from the organization back. That sounds like something the Oilers would do.

Your new coach of the Edmonton Oilers

Geoff Ward

//I’ve said it before, but getting Roloson to sign a one year deal might not get it done. And I’m okay with it, but someone will give him a second year.//

Just up the offer for one year, until he signs.

So someone offers Roloson $3 mil per season for 2 years. Offer him $5 million for one.

75. pboy says:

I would be shocked if Roloson gets a 2 year deal from any team. It would be a huge error in judgement for any team considering all of the CBA implications of a 35+ year old with a multi-year contract retiring before the end of his deal. Also, Roli doesn’t strike me as they type of guy who will go somewhere to play a limited role. He still sees himself as a #1 and for that reason alone, I don’t think there will be a ton of competetion for his services in the off season.

76. Dennis says:

LT: Yeah, the netminding was terrible but don’t you feel like the Oilers brass have brainwashed us into not talking bad about Roli?

It’s like, “here’s old man Roli playing in his ~30th consecutive game so don’t dare knock him for a soft goal or three.”

I think he’d be much sharper if he was getting rest so we should probably see if Sabourin or Stone or that 4th rounder can give him a spell.

77. Bruce says:

Dennis: The same way the press are brainwashed into saying nothing but glowing things about Thecaptainethanmoreau. He was fellated three or four different times in today’s Edm. Journal, all talking about the admittedly fine play he made on the 2-1 goal, but nary a discouraging word was mentioned about how we fell behind in the first place, which is to say, thanks to yet another bonehead peanlty by Thecaptainethanmoreau. And he’s got one hell of a lot more of those than he has points.

Beauty quote from Thecaptainethanmoreau himself about how “we need more offence” or some such blather, conveniently timed for the one game in 20 where he actually contributed offensively. His post-game comments have been pretty blatantly self-serving all year in my view, by always criticizing parts of the game where he isn’t responsible. How about “We might have one if we hadn’t taken so many bone-headed penalties”, or, better, “We might have won if I hadn’t taken so many bone-headed penalties.” But no, Thecaptainethanmoreau would rather point the finger at teammates. Sure enough today’s paper is full of MacT’s quotes and reporters’ drivel about not being proactive enough. True enough, but sometimes you can be TOO goddamned proactive, and Thecaptainethanmoreau is Culprit #1 in that respect.

78. knighttown says:

For what its worth, I thought Moreau was pretty good last night. He had the most hits on either team with 4 and on the attempted 5th, Belanger jumped out of the way and Moreau instinctually got a small piece with his leg. It was not his typical stupid penalty. He was also good in his own zone and made a few nice plays in traffic on the wall to clear the zone, especially on the rush.

Now don’t get me wrong, I can’t stand the guy. If I see him fly down the left wing only to take a 50 foot flick shot i will punch him in the bad eye.

But this board is objective for a fan board and Ethan was more solution than problem last night.

79. IceDragoon says:

Good day.

Have you figured out that less is more yet, Lain?
    :-)

L8r
    Louise

80. Dennis says:

KT: there’s no doubt that 18′s cut down on his bad penalties – and he told Gregor he’d work on it – and last night’s assist was well deserved. Also, he pretty much sawed off John Scott early in the first period and it almost liked like the way a soft drink can crumbles;) All that being said, he’s done so much harm that a great assists Plus another stupid penalty equals discontent.

At least from where I sit.

Bruce: I love how Roli pretty much took last night’s loss on himself. Guys like Moreau and even Souray for that matter, no such thing.

81. Bruce says:

Dennis: Souray’s postgame comments never grate on me the way Thecaptainethanmoreau’s do. I’ve heard Souray take ownership lots of times, and when he says “we” he means “we”, whereas Thecaptainethanmoreau puts the “diss” in “own”.

« Older Comments