Wings at Oilers, G73/08-09

The Detroit Red Wings have a wonderful history, certainly the finest and richest among American hockey clubs.

Detroit has known Stanley a bunch of times, and although there was a long time between drinks the team has been “in the range” for the championship for over a decade now.

Detroit’s Stanleys came in 1936, 1937, 1943, 1950, 1952, 1954, 1955, 1997, 1998, 2002, 2008.

That’s 11.

Gordie Howe was on the 1950 team, and also played for the 1952, 1954 and 1955 team. The Wings were also in the SC finals a few times. Quite a few times: 1934, 1941, 1942, 1945, 1948, 1949, 1956, 1961, 1963, 1964, 1966 and 1995.

That’s 12.

The Red Wings have done well since expansion. If they win a pennant, Detroit is probably going to win the Stanley (80% of the time) and their fanbase has enjoyed a ridiculous run since the mid-90s.

Here are the pennants winners (finalists in each conference) since the 1967 expansion:

1. Montreal (11): ’68, ’69, ’71, ’73, ’76-’79, ’86, ’89, ’93
  25. Columbus
  26. Minnesota
  27. Nashville
  28. Phoenix
  29. San Jose
  30. Toronto

My guess is that Boston wins their first pennant in almost 20 years and that San Jose wins their first. We’ll see.

Detroit’s goaltending was poor last night in Calgary but they made it close late. They have supreme talent up front and a very nice blue, and tonight’s game is very likely an L for the Oilers. If they do win, it would be a major blow to the team’s chasing Edmonton for the final playoff spot.

And it might just be a preview of RD1 of the NHL’s playoffs, spring 2009.

300 Responses to "Wings at Oilers, G73/08-09"

« Older Comments
  1. bookie says:

Why on earth would you begrudge a guy taking less money to have a chance to win the Cup. I don’t begrudge guys taking the money, but I certainly don’t frown on them for wanting to win.

Actually, that aspect (the taking less money to go for the cup)I respect a lot. I still want him to think he misjudged (undervalued) the oppertunity here.

2. bookie says:

Guess not

3. Quinn says:

curse you bookieeeee!

Well not really.

4. Icecastles says:

Bookie – I know it’s water under the bridge (waaaaaay under the bridge) but I have a real problem with Pronger’s decision. He signed a contract, then let his personal life interfere. And given the reasons, that’s stuff he should have known and – FUCK Tied game – dealt with before signing on the dotted line. It’s called looking after your shit and being a man. There was a time when your word is your bond. With Pronger, even a legal contract wasn’t a bond for him. And the bad-mouthing of Edmonton after they bent over backwards for his was classless beyond belief. In fact, I think I am going to blame Pronger for that Detroit goal a minute ago. Just ’cause.

5. bookie says:

Icecastles called it first!

6. mc79hockey says:

Just like I actually understood Pronger’s decision and had no real problem with it (its a business and he held the cards). At the same time, I would have loved to have seen him regret the decision.

Kevin Lowe everyone!

7. Icecastles says:

I take it back – now I blame Bookie for that goal. he used the jinx phrase. eeeevil!

Was Roloson doing the breaststroke on that one, or did it hit something?

9. Quinn says:

Sorry bookie.

curse you Iccccccceeeee!

10. oilerdago says:

Come on boys, don’t let this one get away from you.

11. Icecastles says:

It’s not my fault! And they can (and will) still win! But Bookie knows – never ever EVER say book it! It’s like being kissed by Don Corlione. ;)

12. Quinn says:

I was trying my hardest not to say anything – I did not want to be the one blaming myself for jinxing it. But now that I see it went off Staios, I can rest a little easier.

13. bookie says:

Ah, contracts say that you own the guy for so many years, it doesnt say you can make him play for you. When a player signs on the dotted line, both the team and the player are signing the guy to play in that city. If two years later the team doesn’t think the fit is right, they trade the guy (family and all).

If Pronger’s wife was not happy here and making his life miserable, Pronger has the right to say…I am willing to sit out if you dont trade me. I dont like it, but I dont see it as a mortal sin. It would have been better if it had not come out in the press (if it had been a subtle move).

It happens all of the time in the NHL and I dont begrudge players some control over their lives.

I hated seeing him win the cup though. I can agree that he has the right to go, but I still want to see him hate that decision forever!

Go Oilers Go.

14. gogliano says:

LT: on the FSN feed it showed it hitting the Edmonton player, I think; don’t have sound going though, so going by eyes alone.

15. Chris says:

Come on at least hang in for the loser point Oilers..we need that.

16. bookie says:

I also take it back and thus the blame shifts to LT just cause

gogliano: Yeah, they showed it again and it was a Staios deflection. No blame though, the veterans have manned up big time down the stretch.

18. Dennis says:

Relic: You are probably right considering 78 has seen the ice since that shift;)

I never believed we’d get two points out of this in reg but all the Wings fucking need is luck to go along with oodles of skill.

19. bookie says:

What a game, I have loads of work to do and I just cant turn away…

20. Quinn says:

Does someone really have to say /no takesies backsies?/

I agree LT, Staios especially has redeemed his season in the last month.

21. bookie says:

adfjjklllllladfddddddddddddddddddddddddddddskaljds;kfjasok;nckdlwacniok!!!!!!!!

22. Quinn says:

my words exactly bookie

Robert Nilsson nice back check. Pipe! Jesus.

Damn Samn anyway.

Oilers aren’t good enough to beat the Wings and Lady Luck on the same night.

24. bookie says:

I hate Hossa now!

25. Icecastles says:

True enough Bookie, but that is making a work decision based on work performance. His wife never even moved to Edmonton in the first place, which is why I say that this is stuff he should have worked out before coming here. And it’s the timing of his request for a trade and his subsequent comments in the media that to me spoke of an utter lack of class and emotional maturity. Of course I’ll admit that we undoubtedly view it in starker contrast because he was such a huge part of this team. If Ty Conklin had done the same, No one would have likely cared the same way.

Nooooooo!!! That’s okay, we will still win. There are still 2 minutes left.

26. Scott says:

It sure would’ve been nice to have signed Hossa this summer wouldn’t it Bookie… Dang.

27. Chris says:

And the Oilers choke in the closing minutes of the game.

28. bookie says:

Well, for just a moment, we lived the dream!

29. Kristopher Milligan says:

ouch

30. Quinn says:

Ok, that one is definitely on you ice.

31. Icecastles says:

Fucking fucking fucking fuck. That was just mean. Mean mean mean. Fuck. Stupid.

We can still win. There’s still a minute left.

Ray Ferraro talking about playing defense is like listening to Carl Lewis talk about singing.

33. bookie says:

Dream on!

34. Kristopher Milligan says:

for what its worth (dick all) we came close to getting a loser point from one of the top 3 teams in the league!

35. Quinn says:

It is good that I don’t have a heart condition. I could NOT follow this team.

36. Scott says:

If they actually come back this is an instant classic.

37. Kristopher Milligan says:

Hey ice, have you noticed that the last 3 times you have said the oilers will win, the red wings score? its uncanny! You should really be a red wings fan

38. Chris says:

Alright Koltalik gives Hemsky his chance to carry the team on his back. We need multiple Ales goals here people.

39. Steve says:

Man, where Jason Smith when you need him – we could really use his Conklin-taking-out skills.

40. Icecastles says:

Good point, Kristopher. Time for some reverse psychology.

Detroit can win this.

41. bookie says:

thats enough for me…I gotta get to my work…sigh

42. Chris says:

Man we could have at least used the loser point tonight. That late collapse sucked.

Icecastles I have to say that Kotalik website though it awesome. Seeing his name there so many times almost makes you hear his name instead of call on me.

43. Kristopher Milligan says:

I hear you bookie, i have a 10 page paper staring me in the face due on thursday. Im supposed to be researching it right now :(

44. HBomb says:

Ok, the stupidity from behind the bench continues – I am sure it wasn’t an icing, so why the fuck was Gagner taking a defensive zone faceoff on the play that lead to the Fillipula goal?

If it was an icing, someone correct me, but if it wasn’t, that’s fucking terrible on the part of MacT.

45. Icecastles says:

Damn. They hung on for so long, too. Against a hell of a team. Sucks to see Roli not keep the unearthly save percentage in the final few. I suppose the hockey gods only allow so many stolen games a year, and Roli has certainly given the Oil their share.

46. Kristopher Milligan says:

I place all the blame squarely on IC :P

47. mc79hockey says:

Conks with an eerily familiar giveaway towards the end there.

48. PunjabiOil says:

Their chances coming into tonight were 46% if they went 4-5-1

Now 9 games left. I’d imagine they will need at least 5 wins to make it.

St. Louis isn’t ready to quit either, only 2 back.

49. Icecastles says:

Agreed, Chris. I bought the song on iTunes a long time ago, but the play count has spiked considerably since the trade deadline. :) I don’t even hear ‘call on me’ anymore! (strangely enough, the first time I heard it, I thought it was ‘follow me’)

50. quain says:

There’s two minutes left in the game, they’re down 2-1, and the Horcoff line just took a long shift?

51. Coach pb9617 says:

I don’t know if I’ve seen a more static 5 on 3. Admittedly I’m not an NHL coach, but it seems to me that such a PP setup doesn’t make as much use of the 2 man advantage as would be the case with more motion.

Most 5 on 3s have a guy going through the slot from time to time. Oilers seem to think that their 5 on 3 is best served without that pesky guy getting in Souray’s way.

a very interesting critique, since it addresses the nagging questions I am left with in my head after reading it.

Indeed.

Man, this has late third period loss written all over it. Just saying.

Steve is a damn genius.

Holmstrom either has the weakest legs in hockey or he dives. Lots of dives.

52. Coach pb9617 says:

Edmonton is going to win this game.

Steve is smarter than Icecastles.

53. HBomb says:

quain: Then put Brodziak out for the draw instead of Kotalik and then make the switch once the puck is coming up the ice. Seems like the obvious plan B to me.

54. Coach pb9617 says:

If there was a coach, yes.

55. HBomb says:

Hemsky and Horcoff very unfortunate to be -2 tonight from what I saw.

On the other hand, Staios was probably full value for his -3…one deflection went straight in off him, and the other went straight to Fillipula.

56. Chris says:

I blame Steve Staois.

57. HBomb says:

I don’t think tonight’s a good night to lay “blame” per se (some guys had rough nights, others didn’t), but the simple fact is that the Wings are just a lot better than the Oilers. Nothing more to it.

58. Quinn says:

Personally, I feel that if you abandon defensive play to the tune of letting your opposition double the shot count on you in a game (or triple you in the final 40 minutes) you earn every loss you get. While the Wings are the class of the league, this was a winnable game after the first period.

A total collapse was inevitable after the Wings got goal #1. After that the confidence evaporated from the Oil and they could not get it back. Especially if you look at the coverage on the next two goals and how poorly they covered the best players out there.

59. HBomb says:

I really don’t want to play Detroit in the playoffs. Issues in their goal notwithstanding, the Oilers would be damn lucky to stretch it out to five games.

60. Quinn says:

You can take that statement and substitute San Jose or Calgary for Detroit and it is just as accurate.

61. knighttown says:

Wanna know what Hemsky might be talking about?

For those of you that aren’t aware I’ve been compiling some stats on the Oilers Shots For/Shots Against depending on what the score is at any given time. If anyone’s eyes have been telling them the Oilers get typically get out to an early lead and then hold on for dear life, you get a gold star.

Versus Chicago:

SF/SA when TIED:
    20-13

SF/SA when ahead:
    6-30

Versus Detroit:

SF/SA when TIED:
    16-11

SF/SA when behind:
    2-2

SF/SA when ahead:
    8-30

So in those past two games (didn’t do Minnesota yet), when the Oilers had the lead they’ve been outshot 60-14. That’s going for the jugular!

Here’s a fucking idea. If you’re good enough to outshoot Chicago and Detroit to earn 1 goal leads why don’t you keep playing that way?

62. Dennis says:

It hurts how we got there but you really can’t be surprised at the result.

What worries me is there are four games remaining – 2 vs Cgy and singles vs Van-SJ – where we could conceivably get throttled in the same fashion.

So, that means we pretty much gotta run the Ana2-Phx-Min-LA table.

And, honestly, you gotta go back to 27-10-83.

Two more GA for the new 10 line tonight and it’s not happening for them to outscore and they aren’t sawing off either.

Also, Souray looked like Souray when he backed in on the Hossa goal. You sag like that and you’re killing your netminder.

Funny thing about tonight – and I say this as a matchup guy – is you had three fellows tonight who finished above water chances for/against.

Fernando Pisani.

Andrew Cogliano.

Marc Pouliot.

And, you know, it’s also nice that we’re wasting faceoffs on 89 in a one goal game with 51 on the bench.

63. Coach pb9617 says:

Hemsky and Horcoff very unfortunate to be -2 tonight from what I saw.

Eh – they were outchanced and certainly blown away in shots. O’Sullivan and Kotalik were noticeably bad tonight.

64. Schitzo says:

Wanna know what Hemsky might be talking about?

The only thing worse than playing to protect the lead is being awful at playing to protect the lead :(

65. HBomb says:

Funny how the idea of a Cogliano-Pouliot-Pisani line has been floated here for weeks, if not months, and when it does finally happen, it’s the only ice in the black in the scoring chances department.

Maybe we DO know what we’re talking about here, people.

66. Icecastles says:

Quin and HBomb: I think it would be fantastic to play those teams in the postseason… it would mean we made it that far! Seriously – everything after game 82 at this point is pure gravy. Unless we loose in four and MacT is behind the bench again next year. Then it’s not gravy. It’s salt. All over our emotional wounds.

And yeah, Steve is smarter than me. But only because he was right and I was wrong… three times in a row. :)

67. HBomb says:

Icecastles: oh yeah, playoffs would be nice, I’m not going to argue what a valuable experience it would be for Gagner, Nilsson, Cogliano, Brodziak, Pouliot, Grebeshkov, Gilbert and Smid to even get four games in.

That being said, if someone told me that missing the playoffs meant for certain a change behind the bench, I’ll gladly pass on getting swept by Detroit or San Jose.

This team needs a new coach like Gotham needed an enema, once upon a time…

68. Schitzo says:

Seriously – everything after game 82 at this point is pure gravy.

That part is totally true. We made it through the trade deadline without doing anything stupid, so hopefully good things happen from here on out.

69. Quinn says:

I am not convince MacT keeps his job even if we do make it to the playoffs. And it will hardly be worth it to watch the good ship Oil be blown out of the water by teams that play like a team. Either scenario (in or out of playoffs) will hopefully be the whimpering ending of a great coach’s tenure here.

I remain hopeful only for next season.

70. Dennis says:

HB: To be honest, 78 didn’t play fuckall and I’d wager that line wasn’t exactly matching against toughs.

All that being said, 34-78 always played well together; 13-78 had some nice chem earlier this year as have 13-34.

71. HBomb says:

Dennis: It’s enough of a positive sign to give it another game. But that being said, they’ve got to get Penner back with Hemsky and Horcoff, stat.

Trickle down probably means O’Sullivan on LW with Cogliano and Pisani, although if they kept Pouliot as the C and dropped Pisani down with Moreau and Brodziak, your fourth line becomes the de-facto secondary tough minutes line. Nice luxury to have, a useful fourth line…

72. Bank Shot says:

I’m not sure line juggling is going to cure anything that ails this club. MacT has ben doing it all season without much success.

I think more then half the defensive problem on this team is with the forwards. They play so little in the other team’s end, and it puts alot of pressure on the Oilers defencemen as a result.

I’m not sure why Souray gets the goat horns on the last goal for example. That was an ass line change that allowed Detroit to attack the blueline with great speed.

Staios getting hit with a puck was a function of the Oilers playing in their own end alot, as was Gilbert’s mistake. That’s what happens eventually when the ice is tilted. I think the Oilers were relatively successful at defending given the sheer volume of shots given up.

O’Sullivan still has 3 points…Definitely something wrong with the underperforming forward core.

73. Dennis says:

HB: I like the idea of a 19-78-13 line to go along with 12-89-21 line and then 27-10-83 and 18-51-34.

Though, to tell you the truth, outside of the third period in Col, there’s no reason to be sold on 12-89-21.

They marked tonight in the third period but you’ve got a two goal lead with a minute left and there’s no way the D isn’t gonna sag in that situation.

74. Black Gold says:

Play of the night:

Ribs said…

♪ M is for muffin, it’s good enough for Smid ♫

75. Quinn says:

Coach,

One last thing about Outliers. I think it is useful in the same way that Seldon’s psychohistory is useful (for all you Asimov fans out there). If you look at successful people in similar categories – law, hockey, fashion, etc. – you will start to see some specific things that allow them to stand out. As a predicter or real-time analyser, definitely pop-stat crap. But, if you could apply some of the ideas to job interviews, draft preparation or other categories, then I think it becomes a more useful book.

Plus, I am with Bankshot. Line combos have not solved anything all year. You want to improve this team, get Viz back and hold on for dear life.

76. Coach pb9617 says:

And, honestly, you gotta go back to 27-10-83.

You would. The guy that blames 27 for the season won’t.

77. Steve says:

Steve is a damn genius.

Hey, thanks Coach – usually it falls to me to point that out.

Just to be clear, “three times in a row” applies only to Icecastles being wrong; to the best of my recollection, this is the first time I’ve ever been right anywhere on the Oilogosphere.

78. Coach pb9617 says:

Oh, I don’t discount it, but I think it was written in the same manner that a John Buccigross column is written.

The lines are one thing – the special teams are another, and finding a replacement for Strudwick is the last.

79. bookie says:

I am pretty sure that this is the point of the website…I don’t here call on me at all, but rather Kotalik, Kotalik….

80. hunter1909 says:

HBomb: Oilers would be lucky to stretch it to four games.

81. Dennis says:

I knew no one in the media would mention it but I’m surprised the folks here aren’t obsessing about the decision to have 89 take that late period draw?

Folks especially busy today or just beaten down?

82. HBomb says:

Folks especially busy today or just beaten down?

I think we’re just all past the point where such stupidity from MacT has become par for the course.

It’s been bizzaro decision after bizzaro decision this year….

83. oilerdago says:

//Folks especially busy today or just beaten down?

It’s been bizzaro decision after bizzaro decision this year….//

HBomb: I’d agree. For a brief moment last night I was pretty upset after Detroit took a 2-1 lead and how they could just sit on a 1-0, but then realized what a waste of time that was.

Whether they make the playoffs or not (and I personally think the schedule works against them) what’s the value at this point in getting blown out in 4 straight in round 1?

But with 6 home games remaining and a complete inability to win at home – why worry? You’re going to tell me we can win at home against Cal/Van/Ana the way we’re playing? LOL.

84. George B says:

Good call on Gagner and his 43.3 taking the draw….not the greatest decision at all.

85. Coach pb9617 says:

It just ain’t worth it anymore, Dennis. I’m actually more shocked that he didn’t give the draw to the ole’ two-fiver.

86. digger says:

IMO MacT’s coaching this year reminds me of Sather’s last year as head coach of the Oilers, who looked burned out by the daily grind and started to not pay as much attention to detail as he once did, resulting in small but important mistakes that would end up hurting his team.

I don’t look at it as MacT being stupid, I look at it as MacT being burnt out and needing some time away from the game. I can’t imagine he’ll be back next season, even if they make the playoffs, hell even if they did some damage.

IMHO he won’t be behind the bench next year, no matter what.

87. hunter1909 says:

This season has got me thinking more and more about hockey, a game I grew up with totally, in the same manner as I have come to think about baseball or NFL football, games I didn’t grow up with totally, but became firstly apathetic then finally totally disinterested in. Who won the Super Bowl, or WS? I don’t even think I really know. or care.

It’s partially down to several factors, but mainly down to having to think of that curly haired MacT destroying the Oilers on ice. Since New Year’s I’ve probably not seen them play more than a handful of times, and it’s not bothered me at all. Why should it? I virtually know the result of every game, even before they’re played.

Simply by going from Oiler’s last 8 season’s form, I’ve managed to predict the outcome of the last 4 games. The next game I see is away to the Yotes, normally a game that Oilers one would think would win…however, this season I think it’s more likely the Oilers will manage to lose this game. Just because it goes according to the form of the team, over the past 8 seasons…you now…losing games they’re supposed to win, etc.

LoweTide thinks if they make the playoffs, it means MacT gets a 9th season. No problem. I’ll just stop watching the Oilers. Life is too short to have to put up with this garbage product.

88. hunter1909 says:

Oh yeah. Now Hemsky’s coming out and finally telling it the way it is.

Cue knee jerk moron fanboy reaction, with a quite frankly incredible beginning of the “let’s trade him” chorus starting to resonate.

Riiight.

But never fear. Jordan Eberle just signed his entry level contract!

89. Dennis says:

Yeah, you could be right about him just being burned out.

I cut my ties with him after he kept rolling out the 4th line in the third period in Mtl and then last night here’s another oversight.

Here’s the way he rolled lines just before 89 takes that draw previous to the 3-1 goal.

I’ll use the numbers of the centres to denote the lines and there was a stop in play with 3:35 with 12-51-21 being on the ice at the time of the whistle. So, here goes:

13 comes out followed by 12 and then 89 makes a big line change on the Hossa goal because if you watch the replay you’ll see Horc just jump on the ice and not have time to stickcheck Hossa before his shot attempt.

So, we’ve got a 13-89-10 order on the float. MacT leaves 10 on for the post-goal faceoff and then 89 comes back but a 34 footer by Zetterberg stops the play and at this point you Should bring in 51 considering he’s your second best faceoff option.

But we don’t and the draw’s won clean by Datsyuk and there’s another goal. Now, could 51 have lost the draw in a likewise fashion?

Sure he could have.

But slotting him instead of 89 would’ve given you a greater chance of winning that draw and it’s about playing the percentages.

So, you know, that’s a sin of omission right there just as it was when MacT kept rolling out the 4th line for d zone draws during the third period of the game we were leading in Mtl. I’ve always watched closely for this stuff and I don’t think I’ve seen it as much in previous years as I have in this one.

That probably tells you everything you need to know.

90. knighttown says:

That probably tells you everything you need to know.

Yeah, but Dennis, wasn’t that inside the 2 minute mark and down a goal? I can see the logic in putting a far superior offensive player on the ice when down a goal because as we saw a minute later, you never know when the offensive chance will come.

It’s 10% more likely Brodziak will win a faceoff but it’s 63% more likely he doesn’t make that play to lead to the Kotalik goal.

And by the way, I was at that Montreal game and was snapping about the way the fourth line was being destroyed by Koivu and yet thrown over the boards over and over. I believe that was a night when 12, 89, 78 were terrific and 85/46 played their worst games, but there they were. That was another night that highlighted my current pet peeve.

SF/SA vs. Montreal when,

Behind: 11-4
    Tied: 17-6
    Ahead: 4-14

91. gogliano says:

Quick theory Dennis: at that point of the game isn’t Gagner on in the hope that the puck starts going the other way and you don’t need to waste time changing centers? Of course, we know the result now, but at that point of the game you are thinking a lot more about how to score the equalizer than how to prevent going down by two. And yes, it is a bad match up, but there aren’t enough horses to have a good match up in that situation, particularly because the time out was burned on the 5-3.

Just a theory, though.

92. gogliano says:

Well, knighttown just said it.

93. quain says:

I’m in general agreement with KT’s logic, although I don’t want to pretend that Kotalik is a superior offensive force to Brodziak. But I think that’s MacT’s belief, at least.

And isn’t Brodziak usually the right side guy for faceoffs?

94. Dennis says:

Oh yeah, 51 is the new RH draw man and I understand the need for offense. But, we use 10 for d zone draws and sub for him on the way back up the ice so how come we couldn’t do it for 89?

95. Traktor says:

The most frustrated I was during the game was when Franzen hit the crossbar with a few minutes left. Luckily Hossa scored a few shifts later to show that there is still justice in the world.

Last night was the first time this season the Oilers lost going into the 3rd with a lead.

How is this awful?

97. knighttown says:

How is this awful?

Um, Woodguy, I just watched a game two weeks ago in Montreal where they blew a 3rd period lead and lost. Add to that, giving up four 1-goal leads to Chicago and winning, and two blown lead losses to St. Louis and Atlanta, all in the past two weeks.

The Oilers ability to play with a lead is THE story of the home stretch.

The Oilers ability to play with a lead is THE story of the home stretch.

I should have been more clear.

Going into last night the Oilers were 22-0-2 when leading after two.

I should have said regulation loss.

I agree that MacTavish’s love of the 1-2-2 and belief that his team will give one up rather than get the next one if he stays with the 2-1-2 (when he uses it) hurts this team’s pyche.

That being said, they were still 22-0-2 when going into the 3rd with lead.

99. Rod says:

Late to the thread, but I think Gagner wears this loss quite heavily (along with MacT for putting him out there). Why?

For starters, the lackadaisical line change from 89 and 12 just before the Hossa goal. They coasted to the bench which left Horcoff hopping onto the ice as Hossa blew by (from the Red Wing bench). Horcoff didn't stand a chance of catching up, and of course Hossa scored. 89 and 12 deserved a huge minus on that one, but of course it went to 10 & 19.

Couldn't believe 89 was back out there for d-zone draw. The lousy line change showed his head just wasn't in the game defensively. True, he's more offensive than 51, but you gotta win the draw first. Strange call by MacT.

Losing the draw is one thing, but how did Gagner let Datsyuk slip through to the net so easily? 89 was just standing in place as Datsyuk went to the net…leaving 24 and 77 to handle all three Detroit forwards. Total brain cramp there by 89. Who'd have guessed he was in a fog. A coach that paid attention to the previous shift perhaps…

Given the shot totals, we could say it was only a matter of time for Detroit. That's usually the case, but sometimes goalies steal one. Roloson was on his way to doing just that. Strange decisions by MacT and 89 put that in jeopardy, and it turned into wasted effort.

Now, hows this for stating the obvious: Next two are must wins.

« Older Comments