Canucks at Oilers, G79/08-09

This is Don Lever. He was a quality 2-way forward over a fairly long career, scoring 20 or more nine different times.

Lever entered the coaching profession in the late 1980′s, and has been an assistant in Buffalo, St. Louis and now Montreal.

Actually, why don’t I just lift his coaching info from the Habs press release: A native of South Porcupine, Ontario, the 56-year old Lever has been Head Coach of the Hamilton Bulldogs since the 2005-06 season. A 17-season NHL player, Lever began his coaching career in the Buffalo Sabres organization back in 1987-88. After two seasons as an assistant to Sabres head coach Ted Sator, Lever was hired to coach the Sabres’ farm team in Rochester. In his first season as Head Coach of the Rochester Americans in 1990-91, Lever led his team to the Calder Cup final and was voted AHL Coach-of-the-Year with a regular-season record of 45 wins, 26 losses and 9 ties. Before taking on the head coaching job of the Hamilton Bulldogs, Lever had spent 14 seasons (1,154 games) as an assistant coach in the NHL with the Buffalo Sabres and the St. Louis Blues. The longest serving coach in Bulldogs history (305 games) has a record of 235 wins, 184 losses, 21 ties and 25 overtime/shootout losses in 465 regular-season games in the AHL.

I think he’s probably a good candidate for an NHL coaching job, and wish the Oilers would consider him and others who didn’t play some of their career in copper and blue. Habs fans are moaning about Lever not being named the next coach in Montreal because of his inability to speak French and deal with the powerful Montreal media in both languages. A reasonable alternative (like having a strong assistant like Jacques Laperierre) may be in the cards, but I’ve also heard Patrick Roy is the next man up in Habstown.

Those kinds of restrictions on hiring are baffling. Your head coach is an extremely important job, why limit the candidates for any superfluous reason? It happens a lot, though. It may happen in our town later this year.

I’ve always wanted to build an info-pak on all NHL (and other) coaches. Track their strengths, their weaknesses, their preferences. I made an attempt with MacTavish here. Wouldn’t it be nice to know as much (going in) about our next coach?

The Oilers play Vancouver tonight. The Canucks are a steamroller, the Oilers a house divided. I can’t predict much, but am fairly certain it’ll be a porridge pre-game show on the radio.

557 Responses to "Canucks at Oilers, G79/08-09"

« Older Comments
  1. Quinn says:

Ice, it is the episode where Homer works from home due to his fatness disability. Then he stops a newklear explosion.

Good hands Hems.

2. doritogrande says:

Roloson got away with that one. That should have been a…what the fuck kind of penalty is it called when you play the puck outside that goofy-ass trapezoid?

3. Hemsky is a gangsta says:

When was the last time Hemsky and Gagner both had multiple point games?

4. Lord Bob says:

You know how I was talking about the classic sort of unassisted goal that would have been scored even if the scorer was the only member of his team on the ice?

Yeah, Hemsky’s wasn’t that so much.

5. Lord Bob says:

(P.S.: TAKE A FACEOFF, ROLOSON! TAKE A FACEOFF!)

6. CrazyCoach says:

Hey that’s alright

7. Mr DeBakey says:

Bring out your dead!
    [clang]
    Bring out your dead!
    [clang]
    Bring out your dead!
    CUSTOMER: Here’s one.
    CART MASTER:Ninepence.
    DEAD PERSON:I’m not dead!
    CART MASTER:What?
    CUSTOMER:Nothing. Here’s your ninepence.
    DEAD PERSON:I’m not dead!
    CART MASTER:’Ere. He says he’s not dead!
    CUSTOMER:Yes, he is.
    DEAD PERSON:I’m not!
    CART MASTER:He isn’t?
    CUSTOMER:Well, he will be soon. He’s very ill.
    DEAD PERSON:I’m getting better!
    CUSTOMER:No, you’re not. You’ll be stone dead in a moment.

8. Quinn says:

The Oilers get a, what’s that called? Starts with a W I think.

9. oilerdago says:

I guess we’ll now have to wait until Friday to see JDD and Chorney now.

10. doritogrande says:

DeBakey:

Fuck. Thanks a lot. Now I’ll be up til 3 watchin Monty Python.

Nee.

11. Lord Bob says:

Private eyes (clap)!
    We’re watching you (clap-clap)!

12. Quinn says:

Nee

13. Coach pb9617 says:

I think the last three games should be dedicated to getting Gagner 45 points.

14. Black Dog says:

First of all Dennis Happy Birthday. When are you coming out this way for a beer or two? Apparently Ty has room. ;)

Nice win and of course where has this been all year? A little grease as Babcock would say.

Expect some heavy duty questions for Lowe this evening, yeah right.

15. doritogrande says:

For Hbomb: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=anLfoy2XsFw

Note: I can’t make links.

16. Lord Bob says:

“Dear Mr. Lowe. With all the brilliant moves you’ve made over the last few seasons, when do you think the constant bad luck will stop and the Oilers will win the Cup?”

17. bookie says:

Another mention of “this team is overdefencive” – by Gagner.

18. Icecastles says:

Here you go, Dorito/HBomb.

19. Icecastles says:

Another mention of “this team is overdefencive” – by Gagner.

I read that as “this team is overdefective.” Which is also accurate.

20. Coach pb9617 says:

Uh, did Gagner just force MacTavish to visit Penner under the bus?

“Over-defensive”?

21. oilerdago says:

Sam’s getting a text from Katz right now about that one Coach.

22. bookie says:

He didnt use those words, he said something like “we played an agressive style of play” or something like that….I will get the proper quote

23. Lord Bob says:

Is it too early to fit Gagner for an ‘A’ on his chest?

24. Icecastles says:

The ‘A’ would be for ‘Awesome’

25. bookie says:

Damn, I lost the quote, my recording cut off just before it. Anyway, somethig about playing a more agressive style of play working for this team.

It seemed to me that it was a comment that they need to do more than backcheck, but I could be wrong.

26. bookie says:

I would like to remind the faithful out there that many of you/them were ready to trade Gagner for a bottle of Gatoraide earlier this season…

27. doritogrande says:

Is it too early to fit Gagner for an ‘A’ on his chest?

You bet your ass it is. Hell, I don’t even think he was born when the Flames moved to Calgary.

28. Quinn says:

Seriously, is PJ Stock half baboon? There is nothing useful that comes out of his mouth.

How can you reach 40 and still be called PJ? And now Ron McLean tells us about the 40 seconds of his life he’s never mentioned before.

30. Lord Bob says:

I bet if you got a bottle of liquor in Ron, he’d have an awful lot of pretty interesting stories for you…

31. Tyler says:

Geez LT. I thought you and Ron MacLean went way back. That was cold.

That Vigneault/Stock thing was just awkward. Vigneault asked the right question; Stock’s answer made no sense.

We do, but good God man relevance is kind of key.

33. Quinn says:

Tyler, that is because you don’t speak the right primate languages.

34. Tyler says:

Did I miss Lowe? I was watching the game elsewhere and came home. What happened?

He’s flogging Stauffer.

36. oilerdago says:

Not yet Tyler.

37. Icecastles says:

Wow, Kevin Lowe looks strange.

PJ stock isnt’ there for his wisdom, he’s there for entertainment value. This is the CBC – they have to appeal to a broad market and be entertaining. Frankly, I’d rather see him than a stats analyst or technical-minded blowhard on screen.

People who want in-depth go online or read – they don’t get it from TV – the medium doesn’s suit in-depth analysis, especially in a mass market show.

PJ is funny, and he doesn’t pretend to be an expert. I like him. In his funny little bubble. He’s better on TV than he was on the ice, anyway.

38. Lord Bob says:

Lowe is busy getting text messages from Daryl.

“do u liek r coach? pleez respond yes no”

39. Tyler says:

Weird how they haven’t mentioned him coming up. I wonder if he had to cancel.

Katz probably sent a text to the pool boy.

41. Tyler says:

I can see that stats doesn’t translate well to TV but the problem wtih most of the “technical-minded” types is that they’re just blowhards, not actually technically minded. I’d love it if CBC spent an intermission a night breaking shit down. Say the second intermission in the late game – it’d be awesome.

42. Quinn says:

Its true Ice. Everyone likes monkeys on tv, until they get home and maul you for taking away their meds.

43. Lord Bob says:

Hey, guys? Maybe Katz just manned up and fired everybody! Lowe can’t come on because he’s busy packing his things into cardboard boxes with MacTavish while security waits to escort them out and experienced hockey men with no Oilers history and bright, visionary ideas stand outside tapping the faces of their watches!

Maybe!

44. Icecastles says:

I am going to assume KLowe is on after no neck vignault. But it’s strange that they advertized Lowe only and he’s not there… no explanation so far… do they often have two different after hours guests?

Lowe may be signing Linus. The Charlie Brown Linus.

46. Lord Bob says:

Why, LT, surely Tambellini would be taking care of such duties!

47. danny says:

they put Vaignault there until Katz can get the teleprompter reouted directly to his text messaging

48. Lord Bob says:

Ah, here comes Lowe, but he was just introduced as “president of the Edmonton Oilers”. Maybe he was packing his stuff to another spot further from actual on-ice power?

49. Icecastles says:

aaah There we go. Lowe coming up after the break. that was really strange though. I wonder if that was planned… it seems not.

Some last minute strategy on what to say and what not to say?

Maybe he couldn’t come on right away because he had some text messages to respond to.

50. Tyler says:

Anyone read Barnes and Jones today and just marvel at how weird their obssession with the fact that it was a text message was? I mean Barnes has been on some sort of a Luddite kick all week but the technology is just a way of sending a message.

51. Lord Bob says:

Katz is owning the Edmonton Oilers from home! In his mother’s basement! That sort of thing?

This is kind of a perfect storm. Kevin Lowe doesn’t really know what’s going to come out of his mouth and Scott Oake is the one man on planet earth who is capable of saying anything at any time.

I predict this interview will turn back time.

Oake: What about the Katz text message?

Lowe: We’re not concerned about Ryan Smyth.

Oake: What?

Lowe: What?

Oake: What’s the Frequency, Kenneth?

Lowe: Is it me?

Oake: Courage.

53. Coach pb9617 says:

Scott Oake: The Oilers were the better team tonight and you persevered, so you know they’ll be those who say ‘Where was this kind of effort three, four, maybe five times over the course of the last month in which case you wouldn’t be on the playoff bubble right now.’

Sam Gagner: ‘Um, you know, our effort’s been the same every night and uh, obviously, uh, you’re not in this league if you don’t have a great work ethic. I think um, you know, we’ve uh, we’ve just been trying to simplify our games a little bit, uh, obviously in the last couple of games we’ve played a really aggressive style and it’s worked out in our favor. You know San Jose was a tough one to give up, we thought we played pretty well and, uh, tonight’s a huge win for us. We played aggressive throughout the entire game, and uh, hopefully we can carry the momentum through.”

54. Icecastles says:

If we can shorten the Edmonton Oilers to just ‘Edmonton’ or just ‘the Oilers’, can we call K.Lowe the president of Edmonton?

55. Tyler says:

Fanfuckintastic opening from Oake.

56. Lucinius says:

I don’t understand the big deal over the text message. Who hasn’t sent a dumb text message? Well, I haven’t, but I’ve never texted anyone (I use my phone as a phone, surprisingly enough).

Now, if Katz used an emoticon, then, sure, crucify him by all means.

I hate emoticons. Like a Mact-Penner kind of hate.

57. Quinn says:

Gimme an E! what is it for? EVASIVE

58. Lord Bob says:

That would make Ethan Moreau theCaptainofEdmonton and even though I don’t live there anymore I don’t think I could live with that.

59. Tyler says:

Wait, Roli has a number of years left?

60. Lord Bob says:

“He’ll be a great coach someday, a goaltending coach, but we certainly aren’t going to force him into that position for a number of years.”

Pete Peeters just whipped a highball glass at his bigscreen.

I wish Howard Cosell was here to see this.

62. danny says:

Lowe has tan lines on his eyes. and its not sunglasses. I wonder if its Katzs tanning bed?

63. oilerdago says:

What a BS answer on the followup.

64. Quinn says:

I am loving Oake tonight. Well, not really, but Scott Oake is doing a good job.

65. Tyler says:

“We played a game in December that was for the division lead.”

There’s no way he’s drinking water from that bottle. Pure grain alcohol.

66. Coach pb9617 says:

I backed that interview up just for you bookie :)

I think we can take that to mean that Sam REALLY likes an aggressive style of hockey. It would be interesting if it was the golden boy that Moreau hates so much and MacTavish can’t connect with.

Kevin Lowe in his head: I’m melting……

68. danny says:

awkward

69. Quinn says:

Oake for a Peabody.

This could be an HBO special. Seriously. Six Feet Under.

71. oilerdago says:

Oake is doing a good job tonite. I’m impressed.

72. Tyler says:

CHED: “Our own radio station”

73. Lord Bob says:

When a guy is evasive, it means he’s afraid to answer the qusetion.

Remember that when Lowe says things like “[MacTavish] is going to coach in the NHL for a lot of years” and “I can’t talk about that” and “we’re just focusing on the games”…

74. Quinn says:

What the h-bomb is Crawford looking sideways at? Its creepy and distracting.

75. Tyler says:

Even odds Lowe has a stroke during this interview.

76. Lord Bob says:

Now, let’s be fair. Because of the broadcast rights, CHED is more-or-less officially in the Oilers’ pocket on a hockey front. The broadcasters are even employees of the team rather than the radio station.

When Lowe refers to the Journal as “our newspaper” and the Sun as “our other newspaper”, then we can talk.

77. Lucinius says:

I couldn’t keep watching CBC, but do I hear this correctly? They had useful and pointed questions in succession?

You guys are surely hallucinating, yes?

CBC Sports is usually such a weird love-in that its sickening (unless you’re a Euro and Don Cherry sees you, or you look like you’re having fun on the ice).

Don’t tell me I actually missed such a rare occurrence..

This reminds me of the time George Bush turned to the camera and said “Brownie’s doing a good job.”

Dead people all over the place, and Brownie’s doing a good job.

Lowe isn’t helping the Oilers tonight.

79. Tyler says:

There really aren’t easy questions let to ask Kevin Lowe LT. You should dig this up on CBC when you have a minute.

80. Lord Bob says:

Oake: “What are you hearing when you go out in public?”

Me (jokingly): Oh, he doesn’t do that anymore.

Lowe: “I don’t!”

I have a room full of pizza boxes to bear witness to that!

81. doritogrande says:

Lowe: The fans are passionate.

Us: And stupid drunk. *Swig*

82. Icecastles says:

What the h-bomb is Crawford looking sideways at?

boobs.

83. danny says:

“I thought we werent gonna talk about that”

vish throttler aparently expected the CBC guys to fall in line.

84. Tyler says:

This is like Frost/Nixon.

BTW, last I looked, the Oilers had better goal differential at home than on the road.

85. Lord Bob says:

I can tell you, Kevin Lowe is very, very disappointed in his television station right now.

86. Quinn says:

This is an awesome interview. I love the pauses, the weird silence from Crawford and the piranha gleam in Scott’s eyes.

That fucking Zamboni better be on its way!

88. Tyler says:

Listening to Kevin Lowe talk about how fucking magical Darryl Katz is is starting to get a little tiresome.

“Well Scott, as you know, Darryl discovered insulin. Diabetic Oilers fans love his passion.”

89. Tyler says:

The best was when Oake asked about MacT and Lowe was all “I thought we weren’t going to talk about that.”

(VT: You can’t say that when the red light’s on.)

90. Quinn says:

Did he? Man, I gotta eat some more sugar.

91. Lord Bob says:

Have the comments on LT’s for an After Hours ever surpassed in quality the comments for the actual game? I think history is being made, people!

92. oilerdago says:

Dorito: you missed your calling. The guy who writes the bubbles over peoples head in interviews.

Classic.

I think Lowe should book time on the Friendly Giant. Oake is in a coma and is still running circles around him, and Crawford looks as crazy as any CBC personality since Gordon Sinclair.

Jeebus.

94. Fake Craig McTavish says:

Lowetide said…

Lowe: Is it me?

Oake: Courage.

Ah LT, your memory is long and fruitful.

95. doritogrande says:

@LT and others:

I’m considering a Hockey News subscription as a belated birthday present to myself. I don’t read a lot of print about hockey, is THN among the better publications?

96. Tyler says:

“Your organization is noted for its loyalty…”

97. danny says:

I wonder if Hilary Duff even comes close to making Comrie as happy as the past couple weeks of Oilers stuff

98. Lord Bob says:

“Your organization is noted for its loyalty… but it’s never a bad idea to bring new blood in… how badly was an infusion of new blood needed?”

Oake is throwing BBs tonight. This is like David Wells’s perfect game for a combination of drunken stupidity and brilliance.

99. speeds says:

I kinda thought Oake might be setting Lowe up when he let Lowe talk about the positive qualities of MacT as a coach, and Oake might follow it up with something like:

“OK, so in your opinion, coaching isn’t the issue. Yet, this team has missed the playoffs the past 2 years, and is looking likely to miss this year as well. If the problem isn’t the coaching, is it reasonable to suggest the problem is that the coach hasn’t been given enough to work with in terms of on ice talent? That maybe the problem lies with under-performing players, or with under-performance by the people in charge of acquiring the players?”

100. Tyler says:

Does anyone even understand how the Oilers organization works anymore? Lowe says he wanted to take a step back but he also said that he’s the decider. What the fuck?

101. Tyler says:

“I’m told that Omark has said he won’t come here if MacT is the coach. Your thoughts?”

102. doritogrande says:

Lowe: I’ve stepped back to let Steve “grow into the position”.

I believe there was a quote circulating this past week something to the tune of “I [Lowe] will have the last say on personnel moves.”

Et tu, Brutus?

103. Quinn says:

Its the question rickibear wanted to hear!

There’s only one thing I know for sure: nothing is planned, which makes “expect the unexpected” even more exciting.

Lowe is ripping into that Vodka now, baby.

105. Icecastles says:

Lowe: “Size matters a lot”.

I zoned out for a minute. Is he still talking about Katz?

106. Coach pb9617 says:

“I thought we werent gonna talk about this”

Just wow. He tried to laugh it off, but…

107. Lord Bob says:

Seeing Omark’s highlights strung together like that, I notice that he scores a lot cutting across the middle. Could he ever do that in the NHL with big bodies clogging up the centre as they’re wont to do?

108. doritogrande says:

Lowe: Size doesn’t matter to Linus.

Omark: FUCK that Canadian. I’m massive where it counts asshole!

109. Tyler says:

“Expect the unexpected” makes a lot more sense when you’re solely fueled by the clear hard liquors.

110. Lord Bob says:

Hey, here’s a hypothetical question for you all. Does white rum count as a clear hard liquor? I’ve always felt that, spiritually, it belongs with the darker drinks but you look at it in the bottle…

111. danny says:

“V”
    the story of kevin lowe

directed by oliver stone

112. Quinn says:

Brilliant comments tonight gentlemen. Congrats on surviving the year Dennis. Good night.

113. Tyler says:

Ask HBomb tomorrow.

Incidentally LB, you should watch what you make fun of at MacLeans – I have ties all over the plcae and was displeased with a recent comment of yours.

114. Lord Bob says:

You’re going to have to be more specific than that, I’m afraid. Trying to think of what I’ve made fun of lately, but it’s such a long list…

To sum it up:

1. Roloson is Johnny Bower, and is in mid-career at this time.
    2. MacT gets a “mulligan.”
    3. Daryl Katz is a passionate man who invented sex.
    4. Scott Oake asked a question that was outside the agreed upon list and shall be turned into dust.
    5. Marc Crawford looked exactly like Dean Stockwell in that scene in Blue Velvet where he’s singing into the light bulb.

116. oilerdago says:

I’m more convinced than ever that MacT’s done (behind the Oil’s bench) after this season from the evasive answers tonite.

117. doritogrande says:

LT: I may have misheard, but I think it was Katz that got the ‘mulligan’. And it was concerning the public outburst.

dorito grande: Shoot, you’re right. Okay, he said MacT was going to be coaching in the NHL for many years to come.

119. Tyler says:

Good call at not even trying to sum up what’s happening within the organization LT. As far as I can tell, they hired Tambellini and it would make sense no matter what happened this year.

Good god this team is a complete disaster.

120. Coach pb9617 says:

To sum it up:

6. Gagner REALLY likes the aggressive style.
    7. Gagner doesn’t have an issue with the team work ethic.

Gagner, in the conservatory with a revolver.

121. Lord Bob says:

So, we have 83 and 89 mumbling things about ‘hey, this trying to score thing is nice’. You know that 27 is thinking it. So that’s a fairly credible first line who like Craig MacTavish more when he’s not Craig MacTavish.

122. pboy says:

Darryl Katz’s father was a relentlessly self-improving boulangerie owner from Belgium with low grade narcolepsy and a penchant for buggery. His mother was a fifteen year old French prostitute named Chloe with webbed feet. His father would womanize, he would drink. He would make outrageous claims like he invented the question mark. Sometimes he would accuse chestnuts of being lazy. The sort of general malaise that only the genius possess and the insane lament. Darryl’s childhood was typical. Summers in Rangoon, luge lessons. In the spring he’d make meat helmets. When he was insolent he was placed in a burlap bag and beaten with reeds- pretty standard really. Now he enjoys texting the team’s pre-game radio show. No big deal.

pboy: Wonderful, wonderful post. I’m laughing so hard a stroke is close. I especially enjoyed references to Rangoon and meat helmets.

Lordy.

124. Coach pb9617 says:

great pboy, now when I see Katz I’m only going to hear Dr. Evil.

125. Dennis says:

Pat: Yeah, if I go anywhere, it’s gonna be to TO and I’ll meet up with you and Ty and Winters and, damn right I’ll be staying at Dellow’s place!:)

You might have to stay over as well, though;) Ty tells me he’s not a big drinker and I know you are and I know I can be when the spirit moves me:) And it would be awesome if LT came out as well. That would set it off altogether. You know, Cam would be up for it and Danny says his woman’s got cheap airline tickets and young HB seems like he could be up for a roadie. If we could go to an Oilers/Leaves game, it would be sweet.

Folks, I gotta say, the comments here tonight had me near guffawing. LT’s line about Lowe blurting out Smyth’s name got me started and then he finished me with the Gordon Sinclair remark.

That’s fucking old school, son!

And Danny’s Mike Comrie jab put me over the top.

I so looked forward to this interview and I wasn’t disappointed when old Vish winced and said, “you said we weren’t going to talk about that.”

The look of hurt and disappointment on his face did it for me and i needed it after he threw out his old “expect the unexpected” line.

Anyway, what we saw from him tonight is that MacT’s walking unless we make the playoffs. LT called 94 out the door because of what Lowe wouldn’t say and we saw that tonight with MacT’s status. Perhaps Lowe and The Nutty Suppressor – Katz – can take Mac to the Silver Spoons mansion and convince him to come back but I’ve got an idea that Mac’s already told him of his plans.

126. bookie says:

pboy,

That was a pretty bright peice of prose there!

127. pboy says:

Crawford did everything but hand Lowe his resume. All night he talked about the Oiler’s potential and how they were “so close”. While Oake was asking suprisingly pointed questions, the Crow was using him time to ask Kevin absolutely nothing at all. Which is exactly what Lowe wanted to be asked.

128. Dennis says:

Also, at the risk of having this blog shut down and Lain shuttled to Siberia, Staples had a picture of Katz at his blog the other day and I swear I thought for a second that it was an old still from SCTV with Martin Short playing the role.

Or maybe the humped guy from Young Frankenstein.

Even when things get better for the Oilers, it somehow winds up being worse:)

129. bookie says:

Coach, thanks for getting the Gagner info, I thought it was a pretty hard emphasis on “this is how we should play”.

It looks like I missed a good interview on CBC, but to be honest, I am almost ready to skip the rest of the uncomfortable storyline and just come back and catch the end in a few weeks time.

130. Tyler says:

Pboy – nice analysis. I’ll be disappointed if we end up with Crawford. I can’t handle the post-game discussions of Alex Hemsky.

131. Tyler says:

One last thing on this texting: don’t we all carry blackberries now anyway?

132. Coach pb9617 says:

You were right. I wasn’t going to watch the post-game, I was already watching Lucky Number Slevin when you posted that. Glad the DVR was still running. It was a noticeable emphasis on aggressive style.

133. Dennis says:

Ty: I am a texting fucking machine. I’m a misanthrope so anytime I can limit the amount of human contact, sign me up!

134. HBomb says:

I’ve got like 60,000 Aeroplan points. I’d be all over this shit – we’d have to go to the Biermarket down on Esplanade after the game though (was there in July 2006 on my only ever trip to Toronto, and had an absolute blast).

Anyways, surprisingly sober for a guy who’s had about 18 spiced rum and cokes and a few Strongow on top of that, so I’ll post some quick-hitters.

- Sam Gagner: Oiler goal of the year? Funny thing, right when 89 got the puck to start that sequence, I commented to my friend on him having “a pretty good game thus far”. That goal took it from good to great in about five seconds. For a little guy, Samwise battled past two defenders there quite nicely. Kid’s winning a ton of puck battles as of late. I cannot wait to see what he does next year at age 20. He’s miles ahead of where Hemsky was at the same age.

- Hemsky had his best game in awhile, and was rewarded with 1G, 1A. Took one penalty, but drew two. Didn’t get an assist on the first goal, but certainly deserved one (took a hit to make the play).

- Haven’t checked Dennis’ count yet, but from my eye, the Moreau-Cogliano-Pisani line was getting drilled at even-strength. I’m going to confirm/deny that thought as soon as I’m done typing this.

- The Oiler PP goal was a product of puck movement. When you don’t see it coming, Souray’s shot is lethal.

- Luongo strikes me as a bit of a whiny fucker. How’s he going to handle being second-fiddle to Mr. Brodeur come the Olympics, I ask?

- How exactly did Mats Sundin get a star? I thought that Burrows and Kesler were the most effective Canuck forwards tonight. Mats was next to invisible from where I sat.

- Another night, another godawful Ethan Moreau penalty. Like friggin’ clockwork.

- Shawn Horcoff with a quietly effective game, and an assist for his troubles. On the way to Whyte after the game, I have to listen to that knuckle-dragging “TW” call into CHED and talk about 10′s “horrible season”. Idiot.

- I feel sorry for that fat bastard Dustin Penner. Seeing him on the fourth line and that idiot Moreau getting top-nine minutes is enough to make a guy want to vomit.

- Strudwick had a couple hiccups, but was mostly solid. I’ll take him back as the 7th d-man at league minimum.

- Peckham, for the number of games he’s played thus far, is WAY more competent than Matt Greene was at this point in his career. And at a younger age too. Good signs.

- Staios got schooled on the first Canuck goal. He’s definitely stepped off the cliff before they had a chance to trade him (unlike guys like Niinimaa and Smith).

- I’d like to see Pouliot get a shot in Brodziak’s minutes at least one of the last three games. I like 78 a lot more than 51, I’ll say that much.

- I think MacIntyre instead of Stortini might have been an OK choice tonight, given the limited fourth line minutes. Rypien probably gets beat down in that fight if it’s 33 and not 46.

Funniest story – so first period, we’re in the concourse, and some idiot in a Canucks jersey comes through screaming, “YEAH, Canucks Country!” I yell at him as he walks away, “Win a championship, until then, shut up”. His witty response, “at least we have a chance, losers!”, to which I reply with the simple but effective “Five-nothing, jackass”. That was the end of that, or so I thought.

End of the game, me and my buddy are coming up the escalator out of the club, and we look to the left and see two of Edmonton’s Finest with a guy in a Canuck jersey in handcuffs. Guess who it was? My friend proceeds to look straight at him and yell “OIL COUNTRY!” I just stood there with a shit-eating grin. Nice to see an obvsious jerk-fan of the road team get their just desserts for once. It’s the bad apple that ruins the whole bunch sometimes.

135. HBomb says:

Oh yeah, on Gagner – let’s hope he’s Steve Yzerman to Darryl Katz’s Mike Ilitch.

136. HBomb says:

The Gagner goal, for re-watching purposes, with sound.

Trying to decide if this gets into “Goal of the Season” discussions or not.

137. Schitzo says:

I had a couple of canucks fans behind me last night handing out golf tees.

It was funny, in a tragic sort of way.

138. Steve says:

I was otherwise occupied last night (newly single, so I’ll prioritize a date over a hockey game, provided the Oilers are basically eliminated anyway), but this last page is the most I’ve enjoyed reading LT’s comments section, maybe ever. Beautiful.

139. Black Dog says:

OK, now I’m sober.

Wish I’d seen the interview.

Dennis et al. should look at the schedule when it comes out for next season and see what we can figure out.

A couple of quotes from McKinnon’s article in the Journal.

And, for the second straight game, the Oilers played a hard, entertaining brand of hockey. They gave the sellout crowd of 16,839 their money’s worth.

And this:

“It’s a change in our system play the last two games,” said Moreau. “Just (like) how we used to play, rewind a few years back — two guys hard, deep, coming down hard on the walls.

“It has seemed to help our game. A lot of guys have flourished under the new system. It’s just more of a skating, more of a puck possession, pursuing game.

“If you’re not a natural forechecker, it puts you in spots where you have to be on the puck.” “If you want two guys full-out on the puck, you don’t have a choice but to forecheck,” Moreau said.

Couple these remarks with the ones Gagner said to Oake after the game, and you have happy players playing an uptempo system.

The results of the new system (a type of 2-1-2 many here have advocated for a while) had the Oilers beat the divison leaders and barely lose to the (somewhat depleted) NHL leaders in a game they should have won.

Another result is that the game is engaging and the crowd is into it. Its fun hockey to watch.

They move to this system at game 77 when all but eliminated from the post season.

Jesus wept.

141. Schitzo says:

For those who didn’t see it, go to http://www.cbc.ca/sports/ondemand/

Click on “Hockey Night in Canada” and then “After Hours” to see it.

142. Dennis says:

Pat: Yes, I was hoping that would spur some discussion for a meet-and-greet and we could do it halfway.

I will start purging my body now so that i can go over the top come that date:)

143. Bruce says:

“Enjoy the game, everybody” I wrote as I headed out into the night to contribute in my small way to science, culture and beauty in our fair city. And enjoy it you did, in spades, judging from this beauty thread. I laughed out loud a whole bunch of times reading through it today. LT in particular was on fire.

A few comments based on a late-night view of the HNiC game-in-an-hour recap.

– Oilers impressed me with their team speed for the first time in way too long. The passive game simply does not suit this team’s skill set.

– It’s time for the old Huggy Bear nickname to be retired for good after the wild scrap between Stortini and Rypien. The Canuck probably got the decision, largely based on a beauty first punch, but Zack bounced back to his feet and both guys were throwing bombs for the duration. Zorg retired to the room shaking his fist, and Rypien returned with a beauty shiner, so it was a far cry from the onesided affair described by Temujin and the over-active imagination that is a necessary defence mechanism for all Canucks’ fans. Dandy tilt.

– It’s possible to create offence from the point when other guys are driving through the tough areas in the slot and at the edge of the crease. The goals by Kotalik, Grebeshkov, and Souray were all variations on this theme. Gagner’s move through the slot on the PP made the Hemmer to Souray pass work for the first time in aWhile. 44 was on the left point for something different when he hammered home his 5th GWG of the season (tied with Penner for the team lead).

– Gagner’s solo effort where he successively burned Willie (+30) Mitchell and the immortal BobbiLu with consecutive dekes was brilliant. I thought only Hemmer scored goals like that. MacT will (correctly) point to Sam’s strong backcheck which resulted in possession of the puck in the first place.

– I love Theo Peckham. Little question he’s roster-ready for ’09-10 in at least the #6-7 role. His physical, uh, enthusiasm might lock him into the #6 side of that equation as that’s the sort of thing the Oil needs on a nightly basis.

– Staios got schooled on the first two Canuck goals, and Thecaptainethanmoreau was sitting in the box for the third. Whatever happened to “veteran savvy”?

– Canucks are a real handful down low, and are skilled at getting the puck from the end boards to the goal mouth. Looks to be a solid and balanced squad capable of making noise in the playoffs. They’re also a lot more likable club than they were during the pre-lockout “Dynasty”.

– Rolofson played an excellent game.

– Marc Crawford is still a douchebag. Please, please, please, not him for next Oilers coach. Please.

– Did Kevin Lowe really say “expect the unexpected” AND “you weren’t supposed to ask me that”?

– Happy belated birthday, Dennis.

144. Dennis says:

Thanks, Bruce.

I didn’t mean to exclude you from a potential road trip!

I think the best thing about the 44 PPG was the Ryan Johnson screen:)

And, yes, a great night all around. Oilers win and Lowe provides more mockery material.

145. Black Dog says:

Dennis – I’d suggest we do it for a first round Oilers’ matchup but affording airfare as pensioners might be too much for many of us ;)

I guess the thing to do is to check the sched. when it comes out. Swinging tickets for the ACC may be difficult but its not impossible.

Worse case schedule for a weekend when the Oilers have games Friday/Saturday and we can really abuse the livers successive nights while shouting at TVs in various bars.

We’ll figure something out. Last year when Andy and Fenwick were here we had a gathering at the Wheat Sheaf and it was a terrific time. What little I remember that is.

There was a lot of rage that night.

146. HBomb says:

Pat, Dennis, etc.

This may not be ultra-convenient for all the Toronto guys, but might it not make more sense to convene in Ottawa or Detroit? I bet it’s easier to snag tickets in either of those locations instead of Toronto.

Detroit offers the added benefit of hosting the best team of the last 15 years in the NHL.

I’m going to need some notice. My Datsun ain’t fast.

148. shepso says:

Keep me posted about all of this. I’ll be living in Kingston next year (starting PhD…gulp…) and will be up for all kinds of Oiler trips if they can be arranged, and I have money. I saw the Oil beat Detroit at the Joe last year, went by myself in my Oilers silks and lived to tell the tale. The Joe is a big old barn, with cheap seats and really big cups of beer. I highly suggest Detroit as a possible destination. Buffalo, Ottawa and Montreal would be fun, too.

149. shepso says:

not to suggest that I have money to finance it…the “and I have money” part of those statement was more along the lines of “and if I have any money at all to buy tickets.” However I do and will still have a vehicle, so road-trips out of Toronto to anywhere can be arranged, and I would be happy to drive any of you fine folks to see the Oilers play somewhere

150. Dennis says:

Pat etc all: we will beginning planning once the sked comes out in July.

I hope it’s a good turnout!

It should be, Shepso’s paying for the whole damn thing! I’m bringing my wife! AND my mistress!

152. Black Dog says:

Well if Shepso is paying for it then why don’t we do the Florida trip? Two games, sunshine in winter, likely a win. Maybe two.

Now we’re talking.

Shepso, you’ll enjoy Kingston, great town.

Hbomb’s right about tickets and I can swing a weekend out of town with notice, no worries. Tickets in Toronto are tough to get. Somehow.

And we have a DD in Ty. ;)

153. shepso says:

I knew you guys were going to get me on that. Believe me, if I did have anything resembling money, it would be to finance my move back to Ontario for the 2nd time in 18 months, and maybe kill some student loans. Part of me thinks the only reason I’m still in school is to avoid student loan repayment…but the offer to drive still stands.

And LT, I get your mistress if she is coming along. Consider it in lieu of gas money…we’ll make it happen

@Black Dog: Good to know. I hear its a good town. It has to be better than Windsor was last year!

154. Black Dog says:

shepso – funny, I have an acquaintance who went to school in Kingston and now teaches in Windsor. And know a number of folks who went to Queens.

Windsor is a sad sad place these days.

155. Coach pb9617 says:

If you do Detroit or Buffalo, I’ll show up just to make inappropriate comments.

« Older Comments