Canucks at Oilers, G79/08-09

This is Don Lever. He was a quality 2-way forward over a fairly long career, scoring 20 or more nine different times.

Lever entered the coaching profession in the late 1980′s, and has been an assistant in Buffalo, St. Louis and now Montreal.

Actually, why don’t I just lift his coaching info from the Habs press release: A native of South Porcupine, Ontario, the 56-year old Lever has been Head Coach of the Hamilton Bulldogs since the 2005-06 season. A 17-season NHL player, Lever began his coaching career in the Buffalo Sabres organization back in 1987-88. After two seasons as an assistant to Sabres head coach Ted Sator, Lever was hired to coach the Sabres’ farm team in Rochester. In his first season as Head Coach of the Rochester Americans in 1990-91, Lever led his team to the Calder Cup final and was voted AHL Coach-of-the-Year with a regular-season record of 45 wins, 26 losses and 9 ties. Before taking on the head coaching job of the Hamilton Bulldogs, Lever had spent 14 seasons (1,154 games) as an assistant coach in the NHL with the Buffalo Sabres and the St. Louis Blues. The longest serving coach in Bulldogs history (305 games) has a record of 235 wins, 184 losses, 21 ties and 25 overtime/shootout losses in 465 regular-season games in the AHL.

I think he’s probably a good candidate for an NHL coaching job, and wish the Oilers would consider him and others who didn’t play some of their career in copper and blue. Habs fans are moaning about Lever not being named the next coach in Montreal because of his inability to speak French and deal with the powerful Montreal media in both languages. A reasonable alternative (like having a strong assistant like Jacques Laperierre) may be in the cards, but I’ve also heard Patrick Roy is the next man up in Habstown.

Those kinds of restrictions on hiring are baffling. Your head coach is an extremely important job, why limit the candidates for any superfluous reason? It happens a lot, though. It may happen in our town later this year.

I’ve always wanted to build an info-pak on all NHL (and other) coaches. Track their strengths, their weaknesses, their preferences. I made an attempt with MacTavish here. Wouldn’t it be nice to know as much (going in) about our next coach?

The Oilers play Vancouver tonight. The Canucks are a steamroller, the Oilers a house divided. I can’t predict much, but am fairly certain it’ll be a porridge pre-game show on the radio.

557 Responses to "Canucks at Oilers, G79/08-09"

Newer Comments »
  1. Black Dog says:

Tumbleweeds.

Its too bad how its ending.

Lets hope for a nice effort tonight at least. It was pretty recent that a lot of folks weren’t rating the Canucks but I can’t see how they cannot be considered legitimate contenders. They are big, deep and they have Luongo.

Alex Burrows has 27 goals, is that right? And only one on the PP.

Damn.

2. digger says:

I’m at the point where the pregame buildup and the postgame fallout are the REAL entertainment, and that 60 minute interval between them is simply a necessary toll that needs to be paid.

Go Oilers, whatever that’s come to mean.

3. Gord says:

Burrows is having a good season (outside of that hair-pulling incident).

If we win, we win. If we lose, we screw the Flames. Good times!

4. Schitzo says:

I wouldn’t be surprised if we get outcheered by canucks fans tonight. I’ll be a part of the problem, as I got the great idea to invite a buddy who was born and raised out in BC.

And I’m driving, so I can’t even drink until it’s funny. Although there may not be enough beer in Rexall for that to happen…

5. Doogie2K says:

There’s a good contingent of Habs fans, myself included, who call bullshit as well. Besides, apparently he grew up in a fairly French-speaking area and understands enough to get by; he just doesn’t speak it very well. But hey, if he loses the Montreal job and winds up in Edmonton, that’ll be fine by me. Compensation for hiring away Claude Julien. ;)

6. Mike says:

Black dog – without googling, who holds the ‘record’ for most goals scored in a season without a PP marker?

7. Black Dog says:

Mike – seriously? Hah, even with google it would take me days to get the answer.

Someone like Craig Ramsey I would think although does Rene Bourque have any PP goals this year?

I give.

8. Black Dog says:

Doug Smail.

Then Mike Donnelly.

Hah. Interesting.

9. DBO says:

LT: i totally agree with the lever coaching idea. been beating that drum all year. A professional coach who has 15 – 20 years of coaching experience, with a good chunk being a head coach somewhere in a pro system. We do have one of those in our system. at this point I’d take Rob daum, but maybe he’s best served being our head coach in Springfield for 3 years, and the new coach has that amount of time to see if he works out. if not, you’ve given Daum 3 years of pro coaching experience,and we can slide him into the head coaching role just like Boudreau. Who by all accounts has done really well as much because he was the one who coached most of the young guys that are playing a role on the team and the young guys respond to him.

To touch on Moreau’s comments on Team 1260 yesterday, I think any coach you bring in has to be able to relate to the young guys. if you listen to Moreau, he’s basically saying that the old guys know how to play hard and don’t need the motivation. While the kids need someone to get them going night after night. So doesn’t it behoove the management to bring in a coach who can teach the game and motivate (not alienate) players? Give me Lever, one of the assistants in Detroit (if that is the style KLowe wants to play). Don’t recycle old coaches and don’t bring in a Messier type. the Gulf War II comment is very accurate, and like that time i am very concerned, confused and figure there is no way Katz actually does it (although the American people did re-elect Bush), and by does it I mean bring back macT and give him a totally vet lineup.

happy Saturday.

10. quain says:

The line for this game is idiotic and doesn’t give us much above the home team vig. It should be +180 or something, instead it’s ridiculously low.

Put your house on the Canucks. Of course, by saying this, I’m tempting fate and allowing the Oilers to finally play a good game. Maybe that’s my plan!

11. Lord Bob says:

Actually, guys, I think this is a prototypical Oilers win. We’re out of it. We’re got no chance. So the guys are going to play fast and loose, pick up their chances, swat a couple pucks past Luongo, Stortini’s going to fight a guy, Rolo’s going to make at least one highlight-reel save, and we’ll win 3-1 or something.

It’ll be a great effort and we’ll be all “hooray!” and saunter up to the Oilers wagon for more of that delicious koolaid.

12. bookie says:

I agree with the Lord and think that the Oil win this one in an exciting fashion.

As per coaching, I am just wondering if we might have trouble attracting an assistant from Detroit or elsewhere to come here given the lout-like mentality of Edmonton fans. I suppose that the rarity of coaching jobs suggests that it would not be a problem like it is attracting players.

13. Scott says:

Even the bookies agree Quain! All this talk of a new coach will be moot in a couple of weeks when the Oilers are playing round one of the playoffs! Didn’t you guys listen to the text message! Playoff race yes! Coach no!

To get in:
    Oilers – 4-0-0
    Wild – 2-1-1 or worse
    Predators – 2-2-0 or worse

One of:
    Blues – 2-2-0 or worse
    Ducks – 1-3-0 or worse

It is not inconceivable!

14. Bruce says:

LT: Rereading that excellent “MacT in a box” thread, I came up with a couple of unexpected conclusions:

1) I really miss Matt Greene
    2) So do the Oilers

15. DBO says:

Too much time this morning. The thought of them building a veteran MacT team made me think what would they do and who would they deal.
    deal: nilsson, penner, Pouliot and prob some more kids.
    MacT’s wet dream

- Pouliot for a pick (no value anyways)
    - Penner to Isles for Prospect and pick.
    - Cogliano and Grebeshkov to Philly for Gagne
    - Nilsson to ottawa for Jason Smith
    - Sign sammy pahlsson for $2.5 per
    - re-sgin Rollie for $2.5 mill
    - Smid = $1.25, Brodziak = $1.0 mill, strudwick = $.50 mill

Gagne – Horcoff – Hemksy
    Reddox – Gagner – O’Sullivan
    Moreau – Pahlsson – Pisani
    Jacques – Brodziak- Stortini
    Macintyre – Brule (can switch with Reddox)

Souray – Gilbert
    Vish – Smith
    Staios – Smid
    Strudwick

Rollie
    JDD

Cap hit = $54.391

This is the kind of scenario i think LT was talking about. 5 kids out, veterans signed and in return via deal. better team next year, but at the sacrifice of our future.

16. HBomb says:

Game 79 of the season. When was the last time the Oilers were firmly in a playoff position by game 79 of the season? 1992? Must be.

Anyways, tonight is my 18th and (likely) final trip to Rexall for an Oiler game this season. The record so far? 5 wins against 12 losses. (I also attended one Oil Kings game – which they lost).

Clearly, based on these stats, it’s my fault that this team isn’t doing better, that MacTavish has lost the room, that Horcoff’s not a first line center, AND that Penner is fat.

However, I guess I am also responsible for thecaptainMoreau being such a great leader and inspiration to his teammates. Yeah, right, that’s it.

17. Temujin says:

Alex Burrows has 27 goals, is that right? And only one on the PP.

Actually, he hasn’t scored a single goal on the PP. He’s got 4 short-handed markers though and at $2 million per the next four seasons I’m okay with him pulling hair once in a while.

Go Canucks.

18. Bruce says:

HBomb: You’re not cheering loud enough, dammit.

What’s that you say? Give me something to cheer about and then I’ll cheer? Doesn’t work that way. You make enough noise, then maybe the team will perform.

19. jon k says:

DBO: I don’t think that Pahlsson is necessarily a player of interest anymore. In previous seasons, like last year, his trademark was being a black hole at EV strength. 1.22 GFON and 1.71 GAON. Both low figures.

This year his GFON has remained pretty low at 1.67, but his GAON has come back to earth at 2.70. That’s 4th highest on the Hawks and 8th highest on the Ducks.

I think that his injury and then, what was it, mono? Has really hurt his play this season. As a checking line player he also just might be slowing down with age.

Don’t even get me started on Jason Smith. He’s been done for a while now. Getting healthy scratched by one of the worst teams in the league?

Realistically speaking I think we’re looking at the team imploding this season.

At least one vet (Souray, Hemsky) and one youth (Cogliano, Smid) asking for a trade in private and likely one of them getting it. Also likely to see Grebeshkov or Gilbert sent off for money reasons when “The Dream Team” goes big game hunting for Bouwmeester, Hossa, Havlat, Gaborik, etc etc.

At the very least it should be an interesting offseason to be a fan.

20. Phil says:

This is a very good snapshot of the Oilogosphere. As much as we hate ‘em, we’ll always come back.

@PDO: God, I hope you’re wrong. If they come out of the gate with Reddox as a top sixer, I’m cheering for the Flames. (ok, not really).

A lot of people think that Penner needs to go if MacT comes back. Thing is, Penner is virtually unmovable. The only way another GM takes on $4.25M cap hit for 0.5ppg production is if he sends an even worse contract the other way. If Tamballoney makes this team worse, just for the sake of appeasing a coach that should be fired anyway, then we know he’s a puppet, and Lowe is pulling his strings.

21. Temujin says:

1992? Must be.

Yeah, you just had to bring up 1992, didn’t you?

22. Phil says:

(sorry, that quote I gave is courtesy Lord Bob from farther up, but I botched the html stuff.)

23. Phil says:

…oh, and fun fact for tonight: A loss, and they guarantee that they finish with fewer points than last year.

Beer me – it’s noon somewhere.

24. Bruce says:

Temujin: Burrows pisses me off at times, but he is one helluva player. Fantastic work ethic. I got tonnes more respect for him than I ever did (or will) for Matt Cooke. A real bargain signing at 4 * $2 MM, to the point that I think his agent really sold him short.

You know what’s depressing?

2009-10 cap hit:
    ——————
    Visnovsky $5.6 MM
    Horcoff $5.5
    Souray $5.4
    Penner $4.25
    Hemsky $4.1
    Gilbert $4.0

Burrows + Kesler $3.75

I know, it’s a comparison between apples and bad apples, but it’s not like those Canucks are still on entry-level deals. There’s just no comparable bargain contracts on the Oilers. We’re paying Robert Nilsson the same as Burrows, Ethan Moreau the same as Kesler (with a higher cap hit), and the two of them combined have fewer goals than Kesler or Burrows has by himself. And they can’t kill a freakin’ penalty either.

25. Coach pb9617 says:

Two things:

1. Can anyone confirm for me, even though I’ve double confirmed, that the draft is 7 * 30?

2. Can anyone confirm for me, PDO maybe, that PDO = ess+essv ?

26. jon k says:

I thought this was interesting for anyone who is on facebook. I'm not a member (or attending), but it is at about 9000 members and is gaining at a rate of about 3-4 per minute.

In regards to Penner, I think that: A) He's not a moveable contract in the current cap climate and B) I don't think we should move him anyway.

This team is small enough, and to be honest I still see him as having more to give. I would like to see another big, skilled forward added to the lineup and see how he'd do if paired with them.

27. jon k says:

Coach: My understanding is that is the starting formula for the draft. However, it’s subject to additions from compensatory picks and subtractions from league sanctions.

Examples: NYR get a 2nd round pick added for Cherepanov not signing. TOR loses a 4th round pick for angering the NHL gods of fate and misfortune.

28. Traktor says:

A rally to get MacT fired at 4 PM outside our own barn?

MacT and the rest of management must be mortified.

Did they really think the fans would stand silent behind another year of no accountability?

29. Lord Bob says:

AJHL update: Grande Prairie leads Spruce Grove in the AJHL finals 2-0, winning both games at the Grant Fuhr “Seriously, You Guys Left St. Albert To Play There?” Arena.

On one hand, if the Storm hold on to win the AJHL and the Doyle Cup, it’ll be nice to see them come to Victoria and be able to cheer for them to die in a bus crash just like the old days. On the other hand, dude! The Canadian junior ‘A’ championship comes to my city and my former hometown team loses out to Grande Prairie? I think I might kill a drifter.

They’re gonna need a bigger zamboni.

31. Traktor says:

I wonder if Hossa regrets not signing in Edmonton?

32. Temujin says:

Stunning.

I don’t think any Canuck fan will tell you they anticipated this much out of Kesler or Burrows. I fully agree that Burr’s agent is weeping over the lost revenue he missed out on. Canucks are very fortunate with both those guys.

In direct proportion to the misfortune the Oilers have with Moreau’s contract, and Pisani’s too (imo).

The laughing and mocking should be coming hard and fast from Canuck fans (especially after last season), but in light of everything I can’t bring myself to do it. Good God, the Oilers have a lot of work to do.

33. Phil says:

@Temujin:

I have to say, if there really is Karma or some sort of force that equals everything out, than the Canucks are getting a cup this year. Man, but has there been some trajedy there in the last 10 months. Makes all the problems Oiler fans squeak about trivial.

34. pboy says:

If there really is a rally to fire MacT, than that’s just pathetic. I think that his coaching has been a part of the problem this year but to put it all on his plate is both ignorant and blind. I know that Katz and Lowe probably thought they were helping on Thursday but they definitely made this into an even bigger deal than it already was. If there is a rally, I can’t see anyway MacT doesn’t resign at the end of the year. Lowe and Tambo better not screw the pooch with his replacement or they will likely be enjoying their last season working for the organization as well.

35. Traktor says:

pboy:

What’s pathetic is after 9 years of mediocrity it takes a fan rally before management even contemplates change.

I wouldn’t be surprised if the fans get shelled with rubber bullets and tear gas.

36. Fake Craig McTavish says:

Traktor said…
    pboy:

That may be a bit extreme Traktor but you can bet the Northlands rent a cops will hustling these people off the property.

Should be good for quite an interesting national TV story.

37. Icecastles says:

Let me preface this by saying that I don’t like most guitar rock. I like extremely experimental electronic stuff like Autechre and Aphex Twin, snooty downtempo like the Theivery Corporation and Lamb, and industrial noise like Wumpscut and Skinny Puppy.

But the Oilers have inspired me to download Bon Jovi and listen to it for the first time since junior high. And I can’t get “Livin On A Prayer” and “You Give Love A Bad Name” loud enough. It just feels so right. If the Oilers win tonight, I’m posting a link to them. Actually I think I’ll post a link if they win too. It’s just so perfect.

38. pboy says:

Traktor: Use some common sense here. People rally against gov’t, against inequality, against racial discrimination not against a f’n hockey coach. I’m not that thrilled with how the season has gone but you couldn’t pay me to stand outside and march around with a sign, chanting my displeasure with the management of this team. If people are so genuinely pissed off, they should do their speaking with their pocketbooks. No one holds a gun to the 17,000 + that fill Rexall for every game. Stop selling that place out and see how quickly change occurs.

39. Icecastles says:

* I mean I will also post a link if they lose too. Freudian slip – they will either win tonight, or they will win. There is no other outcome than winning. It is going to be a balls-out war. :)

Fuck, how much Baileys did I put in this coffee?

40. Doogie2K says:

I thought this was interesting for anyone who is on facebook. I’m not a member (or attending), but it is at about 9000 members and is gaining at a rate of about 3-4 per minute.

Holy shit. Every so often I wonder if the Internet’s ability to spawn flash mobs is such a good idea. I mean, I’m all out of patience with MacTavish, but a demonstration outside Northlands? Really?

On the other hand, Facebook also makes it easy to look like you give a shit without having to do any real work (100,000,000 AGAINST NEW FACEBOOK!!!11). Something tells me that there are going to be twelve guys out there at 4:00 feeling like complete dipshits.

41. chartleys says:

I’m out on the Nucks should win the cup due to karma deal.

They were ready to gather at the gates to lynch Gillis if this team fell on its face and we’re all angry heading into the season. No grace period for the new GM at all.

Gillis deserves a cup. Canucks fans do not.

42. Phil says:

Fricken BINGO.

43. chartleys says:

For reference:

Neither the oilers management or fans deserve one either.

44. Traktor says:

“Traktor: Use some common sense here.”

Common sense tells me that if management ran the team like most other sports franchises there would be no rally today.

I don’t condone the rally but Edmonton brought this on themselves.

FCM: I was obviously joking about the bullets and gas but I suspect its going to get ugly. Fire MacT chants will probably echo through Rexall into the homes all across Canada.

Oiler fans are officially off their nut.

-Vice Lumbago.

46. Icecastles says:

Interview with Moreau a tthe Edmonton Journal: “You can’t just make up a story about a rift in the room.”

He says over and over that you just can’t make up stories about rifts on the team. The implication is supposed to be that there is no rift, but doesn’t that also imply that if there is a rumour like that going around, that it must not be made up and thus, he is tacitly acknowledging it? Or am I overthinking this?

PLUS the team bus is driven by a man named Kennedy and when he goes home he drives a Lincoln!

Someone call Bernstein. LEONARD Bernstein. This things needs music.

48. Temujin says:

industrial noise like Wumpscut and Skinny Puppy.

Oh hell yeah.

You could be right, but after Bertuzzi sucker-punched Moore and was suspended for the remainder of the season, around 600 people showed up for a rally/march. That idea was started on the CDC forum and HFboards and went from there.

49. jon k says:

Icecastles: You’re over-thinking it.

I think the rift in the dressing room is a manifestation of the already augmented hockey fishbowl called Edmonton.

If you have a team with some old guys and some young guys, it’s only natural for them to have their own cliques. That’s just the way of the world. Only in a Canadian city would the disparate groups not hanging out after hours or talking after games be construed as a “rift”.

50. Doogie2K says:

Yeah, but I’m willing to bet that’s a much tighter-knit community, one more likely to mean business. Like I said, it’s easy to join a Facebook group and feel like you’ve done something important. If you say, “yeah, I’ll be there,” on a message board, sure it’s still just a message board, but you’re at least putting yourself out there a little. Twelve might have been an exaggeration, but won’t be OVER NINE THOUSAND or anything like that.

51. HBomb says:

You make enough noise, then maybe the team will perform.

Bruce: trust me, I yelled “Moreau, you STINK!” as loud as I can during the starting lineup introduction on Thursday night. No response. I’ve done all I can do.

On Kesler and Burrows: value deals, but two guys I’d still like to see the shit kicked out of tonight. As long as they’re on the Canucks, they’re the enemy.

The hot streak Burrows is going through right now, in particular, is a longer version of Pisani’s 2006 Playoff performance. Burrows is good, but he’s probably not THIS good in an “average” year.

52. Icecastles says:

I’m confused. I typed ‘Oilers’ into Facebook search, and there were too many results to find the demonstration. Strangely, there was a Calgary-based group called “Oilers Suck” with a picture of the Saddledome on fire. I know they’re called the Flames, but do you really want to show your support by photoshopping your own team’s building on fire?

So I typed in “Oilers Protest” and it returned only this link. The internet must have a hangover today.

53. jon k says:

Icecastles: I provided the link to the group above. If you look into the group there is a link to the event for the protest. Last I looked the group had about 9200 people, but only 60 or so confirmed for the protest.

I suspect that despite the large group, there will only be between 50-100 people outside Rexall. I don’t know why they wouldn’t hold the rally around game time when the media and most fans will be present.

Who knew that mobs were unable to organize effectively?

54. CrazyCoach says:

Yes karmic balance tells us the NUcks should win. I remember the day the Nucks got Luongo and LT wrote that that was the day the NUcks truly became a franchise. How right he was. Gillis was the right man for the Vancouver team.

Is Katz going to be this century’s Wirtz or this century’s Illitch? I really hope he makes some changes. One could write volumes about what makes this version of the Oilers one the worst in history, but that is a tiring exercise. It just hasn’t been a fun season to be an Oilers fan at all.

55. Bruce says:

They’re gonna need a bigger zamboni.

LT: That, sir, is a Great line.

56. Temujin says:

Point taken. But never underestimate the fact that many people have a lot of free time on their hands :-)

Hbomb: what does a beer go for at Rexall Place? The first and only time I was there I remember it being a little cheaper than GM Place, but that was over two years ago. I hope you can sneak a mickey past the guards.

57. Doogie2K says:

Free time? What’s that?

/glares at homework pile
    /grudgingly opens first book

58. CrazyCoach says:

I hope you can sneak a mickey past the guards.

And throw it at the referee ala Homer Simpson?

59. HBomb says:

Temujin: $7.75 for a Canadian or Coors.

Fortunately for me, I'm more of a rum guy, so I stick to the $6.50 highballs (those don't seem so overpriced when one pays only a buck less for a watered down drink at Hudson's or some other local bar). The smart strategy before a Saturday game is to go out for dinner and knock back a few before you head to the arena. Get your buzz going early.

With that in mind though, if you ever return for an Oilers game at Rexall, I recommend dinner at Coliseum Steak & Pizza (roughly a five minute walk to the arena). Long cocktail menu, excellent food in a 1980's-style steakhouse. An Edmonton institution it is.

60. HBomb says:

Oh, and “sneaking in mickeys” is something reserved for Eskimo games, because I’m not a season ticket holder there and can actually pull it off.

Oiler games, I refuse to take the risk of even trying such a stunt.

61. Icecastles says:

Is Katz going to be this century’s Wirtz or this century’s Illitch?

Or this century’s Megatron. To K.Lowe’s Starscream and MacT’s… ah fuck it. I don’t know enough of their names.

62. HBomb says:

Mike Ilitch bought the Red Wings in 1982. They won the Stanley Cup in 1997.

It’s not going to be instant success, and I still have faith in Katz. We’ll see what they do this summer, but if they keep MacT as coach and trade Hemsky, that faith will be eroded quicker than my rum supply has been over the past month.

63. bookie says:

I was born and raised in this City and am beginning to question its character. I once remember how the city rallied together to bring Motley Crue here. Now I see them rallying to fire a coach of a team that has had about the same level of success as 20 or so other teams in the league for the past 9 years. Yet, if you wanted to raise money for a good cause or rally against an injustice you might as well give up and go home.

It just seems pathetic. I think its fine to take a critical stance on things, but to selectively choose every bad decision of a GM and coach and then suggest that they are absolute failures is simply stupid. Every GM makes bad and good gambles. There is only one Detroit and Edmonton is not it, neither are 28 other teams.

I dont think it helps that most players look at playing in Edmonton as a pretty bad life decision. After a few bad games, players have to put up with their kids getting hassled and not being able to go out without someone making some idiotic comment.

Yes, we (some of us) pay the wages of the team, but to be honest I dont enjoy the games as much anymore because half the ‘fans’ are just there to guzzle a bunch of beer and act like asses.

Any idiot that goes to this so-called rally is not helping anything. It will probably get coverage across Canada and further hurt our reputation as a city to play in.

64. bookie says:

Sorry for the Rant, but I agree with HBomb, we need to give Katz at least a couple of years. I worry that the guy is going to get tired of it all and decide that this city is not worth it…

65. chartleys says:

Booze is the easiest thing to smuggle in. Seeing as we’re not making the playoffs this plan won’t really work unless you pretend you’re a nucks fan but:

1 Buy a thermos, take the cap cup and flip it upside down
    2 duct tape the cup to the actual cap.
    3. Fill thermos with hard booze
    4. Put cap on
    5. wrap in tinfoil

You now have a very close facsimile to a stanley cup and those overpriced cokes are suddenly a bargain.

Editors note:

WOrks great with a friend or two to spread it around. If you happen to get tickets for you and your friends that are all singles in say a detroit edmonton playoff match and end up drinking an entire bottle to yourself by the end of the second and if the refereing is so bad that you find yourself actually booing penalties given to chelios it may lead to you initiating the random junk toss at the refs….

It really can happen.

66. Phil says:

@chartleys:

My Canuck karma comment had really nothing to do with ‘hockey’ karma. I sincerely hope you don’t suggest that fans being mad at Gillis = two people accidentally dying.

67. bookie says:

They’re gonna need a bigger zamboni.

LT: That, sir, is a Great line.

I concur, pure genius LT!

I hear that Katz is renting every zamboni in the region. Truckloads of them are pouring in…

68. HBomb says:

I think the rally against MacT is OK. People are allowed to express their beliefs.

Besides, I’ve been told on more than one occasion that Craig MacTavish might be part of the problem when it comes to attracting players to come play for the Oilers. Take it for what it’s worth, but this rally and whatever happens come the off-season may be a positive in that department, in a somewhat round-about way.

69. HBomb says:

I’ll say this about the Canucks – they’re like the Flames in that they’re probably in the best shape they’ll be in for a few seasons right now.

Ohlund and the Sedins all UFA now, Kesler and Luongo potentially UFA after next season.

They’re going to be a tough out for someone, but it’s not going to be easy for them to go deep. San Jose and Detroit are clearly the class of the conference.

With this all in mind, I’m surprised that Vancouver and Calgary are battling so vigorously for the division title right now. The Hawks are no push-over, but ferfuxsakes (to quoteth the Bruce), does anyone want any part of Columbus right now? I know that most men don’t like to turn down BJ’s (snicker), but that team is one scary, scary first round opponent.

70. Temujin says:

I was in college during the Bertuzzi rally and still found time to participate! Of course, that wasn’t during finals week.

So the beer prices are pretty well the same then.

71. Temujin says:

I like the Blue Jackets and their rookie goalie over Cup-Winner Bulin anyday.

But neither option is especially pleasing. Maybe the Flames will just tank the rest of the way and it will be #3 Nucks vs #6 Flames.

72. HBomb says:

I’d rather not see that, based on what’s happened the last three times (and only three times) those teams have met in the first round.

1989: Calgary wins game 7 in OT, goes on to win Cup.
    1994: Vancouver wins game 7 on the road in OT, goes on to lose Cup final in seven games.
    2004: Calgary wins game 7 on the road in OT, goes on to lose Cup final in seven games.

2009: ????

If that matchup happens, and the Canucks win game 7 at home in OT, might as well book the parade route, eh?

73. bookie says:

That could certainly be the case, but I dont suspect that the rally will have any impact other than a negative one on this team. Unless the players actually hate the coach, then they will see the city as rallying behind them…

74. HBomb says:

bookie: Once again, it’s just the buzz I’ve heard here and there, but there might be a faction of the dressing room that doesn’t have much use for the guy in charge.

Regardless of this rally, I see the team coming out with a good effort tonight. Last home Saturday night game of the season with one of their biggest rivals.

Frankly, I’d be OK with a loss here. Yes, losing to the Canucks and having to put up with all the douchebags in Bertuzzi jerseys afterwards will be unpleasant, but it’s all about improved draft position now. Even better if it’s by shutout (I’ve got Luongo in two of my drafts, one of which I am currently in the lead in, and shutouts are worth extra points).

75. Coach pb9617 says:

Hbomb, smuggle away .

Or get a girl and have her smuggle away.

76. Temujin says:

A years supply of Cpt Morgans Spiced Rum would be personally delivered to your home.

You know I think a Cup run is possible if Sundin pulls his head out of his ass.

77. Temujin says:

cellphoneflasks.com

God, I love capitalism.

78. HBomb says:

Jesus Christ man, I don’t want you to go and bankrupt yourself.

I’d gladly accept ONE drink if we ever cross paths at Rexall place however.

Then again, I’d probably need all that booze to help cope with the shame of watching a division rival win the Stanley. Between this undeniable pattern of results and the possibility that Colorado could end up with a Stastny/Tavares two-punch at center…..fuck.

79. Coach pb9617 says:

I once remember how the city rallied together to bring Motley Crue here.

That’s one of the funniest sentences I’ve read in awhile.

It probably has happened, but I doubt more than once. Please don’t make this the new meme though. The city is cold and doesn’t have a nightlife or arts is a good enough reason to bitch about free agents spurning the team.

80. Phil says:

Or get a girl and have her smuggle away.

There’s a joke in there somewhere about how boobs are supposed to get bigger as you drink…

81. HBomb says:

Coach: players go to Detroit, and that city is, from all accounts, a shit-hole.

Nightlife, arts scene, screw all that stuff….if the team starts winning, players will come here.

Paradox: how can they start winning if the players won’t come though? Well, for starters, don’t fuck up on cheap and useful players like Hejda and Glencross, and don’t pick Marc Pouliot when you could have Zach Parise, Ryan Getzlaf or Mike Richards instead.

Ok, 3pm, first drink is being opened (Strongbow Cider is today’s poison of choice). Anyone going to join me?

82. Temujin says:

Colorado could end up with a Stastny/Tavares two-punch at center

Good God, I hadn’t considered that until this very moment. And all this time I’ve been revelling in their misery.

83. jon k says:

Well I have a 25 page paper to finish in the next 48 hours, but why the hell not?

To health!

84. Coach pb9617 says:

I know, but at least that one’s out there. We don’t need more excuses. Let the natives have their scalp.

I started at 12:04 PM EST.

85. Phil says:

@Hbomb: I’ve been drinking Coffee/Amarula since 10. I’ll join you.

86. HBomb says:

Temujin: Those assholes in Denver are having their first really bad season since they were in Quebec. Just watch – they’re getting the 1st overall pick. It’s so bloody unfair, it HAS to happen.

With that in mind, bottoms up boys…one fallen soldier and counting.

87. Temujin says:

There is a bottle of red wine in my office that a client gave me at Christmas. I’ve been sitting here all morning just killing time and I’ve been thinking about sitting in my desk, burning a hole in the drawer.

Seems a fine time to open it. But without wine glasses whatever shall I do?

88. Traktor says:

I wish I could get on the sauce but I have the heart of Al Davis.

89. Coach pb9617 says:

If you’re bored, this is an awesome prank. It’s a long read.

It would likely lead to a zamboni blockage if you pulled it at Rexall.

90. Temujin says:

“thinking about IT sitting in my desk…”

Hmmm, maybe I don’t need anything after all…

91. HBomb says:

Temujin: drinking straight from the bottle is completely acceptable.

92. HBomb says:

Traktor: The heart of Al Davis?

Yeesh, that doesn’t sound good at all. Not even one beer?

I’ll have an extra one for you as a proxy.

93. Icecastles says:

I’ve been “enhancing” my coffee since about 11am. I figure my homework is all creative work, so it’s got to help, right?

I’m going to be back in northern Alberta for the summer (anyone have any good sumer leads for an architecture student?), so maybe I’ll meet some of you at one of the second-round home games in the postseason. :) I’ll buy the first round. Hell, I’ll buy the first seven.

94. chartleys says:

@ phil

No I’m not talking about that angle. Nobody is that cold I hope. I’ve just been shaking my head all year watching the nuck fans on the tsn boards throwing gillis under the bus so much over the course of this year.

The guy has literally transformed that franchise into what appears to be a legitimate force.
    1. grumbled at for his lack of talent on the team to start the year
    2. grumbled at when sudin signed and the team went into a bit of a slide.

The amount of deadweight he cut off the team and how it’s responded and even the contract state they now find themselves in makes me a bit nervous as to what this guy can do for that orginization and the fans seemed more inclined to be waiting for his failure than what now appears to be his success.

Being along for the ride through the 90′s has me inclined to believe the guy would have had at least a years honeymoon even in these parts before people were sharpening there pitchforks.

95. Temujin says:

This Pinot Noir was bottled on October 30th, 2008.

And consumed April 4, 2009.

Cheers, folks. From the Smithers, BC to wherever each of you are.

Oilers recalled Chorney according to the AHL site. Hadn’t seen that anywhere else.

97. Phil says:

I wish I could get on the sauce but I have the heart of Al Davis.

Al Davis is 186 years old. I don’t see the problem here.

98. Temujin says:

Chartleys:

There were many calling for the head of Vignault on a pike in January, too. I’d say that was a little pre-mature.

99. Phil says:

@LT – that was a few days ago, wasn’t it? Before last game, iirc.

100. Coach pb9617 says:

Murphy’s Irish Stout draught cans are the choice today.

I made an awesome pork braciole with Linguine for dinner.

Fried polenta with marscapone and fig compote topping for dessert. In honor of Hbomb, there is 126 overproof rum in the figs.

I’m thinking of breaking out the Ouzo as a breath mint for the evening. Have I mentioned the wife and kids are at her parent’s house?

101. Temujin says:

I don’t have a wife or kids, but if I did, they would be at her parent’s house too.

102. Icecastles says:

Coach – awesome link – gave me a hell of a laugh, and I even paused the Bon Jovi long enough to listen to the Rob is Retarded chant. :)

103. HBomb says:

Coach: I do not know what any of that food is, but it sounds delicious.

126 overproof rum, eh? That’s the stuff I use to dilute down the 151 proof.

104. Phil says:

Found it. March 30th.

105. Traktor says:

I can have one beer but that’s like having sex and not being able to finish.

It’s the 40% that kills me. One shot and my heart feels like I sniffed a ball of coke.

That’s the price for partying like Theo Fleury back in my prime though.

106. Dennis says:

LT: Chorney’s been up since 5 broke his hand.

Seriously.

Also, check out what Lever had to say about Pouliot back when he had him in Hamilton in ’06. IT seems to me he was really impressed with him by season’s end.

HB: today’s my birthday and I celebrated it last night and this morning;) and the last thing i drank was Strongbow. Fuck, I never knew it was so good! 5.2% and tastes like Apple Juice? You can’t beat that. I have a buddy that drinks everything and he’s rocked Strongbow a couple of times but I never tried it. I’m basically a light beer drinker at this point and the most I ever deviated was one summer where I’d warm up with a 12 pack and a four pack of Mike’s Hard Lemonade before I hit the bars.

Here’s where I am with tonight’s game and with the Oilers season: I just want it to be over. Birthday’s are a time of reflection for me and today I was annoyed at how much the Oilers of ’09 have aggravated me.

I can’t quit them or stop following them but I just want them to go away.

107. Icecastles says:

Dennis said: I can’t quit them or stop following them but I just want them to go away.

I know how you feel. And every game I tell myself “That’s it. I’m done. I’m just going to do homework and not waste time on this debacle.” But I just have too much invested emotionally. Besides, it’s easy to cheer for our favourite team when they’re winning. What makes us real fans is that even when they piss us off and don’t deserve our support or applause, they still have it. It’s what makes me love Edmonton fans and hate the on-again, off-again boo-your-own-team Vancouver fans. And it makes me wonder where those classy supportive fans all went. :(

108. PDO says:

Coach:

PDO # is indeed EV SV% + EV SHOOTING %.

Move the decimals as needed ;)

109. Coach pb9617 says:

126 overproof rum, eh? That’s the stuff I use to dilute down the 151 proof.

151 is fer lightin. At least 126 retains some of the flavors that make it rum in the first place.

110. Traktor says:

“I can’t quit them or stop following them but I just want them to go away.”

Do what I do – cheer for them to lose. You’ll never be left disappointed.

111. Icecastles says:

Traktor – can we cheer for them to lose with class? I don’t mind seeing them lose if they went down fighting. I’m actually hoping for a repeat of the Vancouver game this time last year. They lost, but holy hell, did they go down fighting. Something like five minutes to run the clock down the last 20 seconds.

112. Icecastles says:

Here’s the link to that game. None of the violence on the highlights though. :(

Marc Crawford this afternoon: Apparently playing good is a good sign. Heh. I never knew that.

Nor did I know that “they played good” is acceptable grammar. If professional sports isn’t grammatically correct, where does that leave us? Society is decaying around us.

113. HBomb says:

Dennis: I’m in the same place with this team. WAY more disappointed with this squad than any Oiler team, well, ever….I know full well they should be better than this.

Time for another “apple juice”. The shit is good out of the bottle, but even better on tap. Reminds me of a good war story. Back in the day (2001), we were celebrating a buddy’s 19th at one of the pubs in St. Albert, and I was a bit late picking one of the other guys up (say a half hour) due to stopping for a drink at the birthday boy’s house. Anyways, there’s a liquor store out there that actually sells draft beer in 2L plastic jugs. So we get to this friend’s house to pick him up, and he opens up the door, pissed off but laughing. He holds up one of these 2L jugs, and it’s got about two swigs left in the bottom of it – he looks at me and says straight-faced “look what happens when you assholes are LATE!”

So, after a brief apology, we go to my place, proceed to down a 40 of Crown Royal between the three of us in about a half hour, and off to the pubs we go. Birthday boy wins both the 50/50 for a couple hundred bucks AND a draw for a “Texas” of rum (some girl’s soccer fundraiser was happening in the bar that night – I later calculated the odds of simultaneous wins on these two draws to be somewhere around 1-in-90,000), and proceeds to end up in a state where he has to get dragged to the car with a garbage bag tied around his neck (he was a pale grey color after spending a good chunk of the 50-50 winnings on shooters). Me and the other guys proceeded to get totally shit-canned off Strongbow that night at $15/jug, which was massive money back in the day for one university student and three guys making less than ten bucks an hour.

114. Dennis says:

HB: I miss those days:)

115. Coach pb9617 says:

Back in the day (2001)

Almost as funny as the Motley Crue thing.

116. relic says:

@Hbomb

I am amazed you are still alive and/or your liver is still able to function.

As a tax payer in a country with a publicly funded health care system I sincerely hope there is a good dose of hyperbole in your stories.

117. Traktor says:

“can we cheer for them to lose with class?”

I don’t think there’s any way to cheer against your team with class. Treason is treason.

That said, one of the more enjoyable moments for me this year was when fans were chanting “We want a 10th! We want a 10th!”

Dino Ciccarelli is one of my all-time favorites and I’d move almost anyone on the team for Corey Perry – I don’t give a shit about class.

118. Icecastles says:

Relic – I wouldn’t be too quick to assume HBomb’s liver still functions… :)

119. Bruce says:

How’s the rally going?

120. Temujin says:

That’s one helluva birthday.

121. Dennis says:

Relic: I have no idea how old HB is but I’d say he’s only been drinking heavily since he was about 18 or 19 or so.

So, that’s why he’s still living:)

Not much so far. I guess no one wanted to leave their basement.

123. Coach pb9617 says:

Imagine how the Irish feel.

124. Bruce says:

WAY more disappointed with this squad than any Oiler team, well, ever….

HBomb: You don’t remember the Corson years, do you?

125. Icecastles says:

I’m at the rink with my sign and feeling very alone. Apparently I’m at the wrong arena…. the protest *(is* to bring back the Winnipeg jets, right?

126. Traktor says:

Any word on the lines for tonight?

127. Temujin says:

I wonder what the proof on this homemade wine is. I’m nearly done and barely feeling a thing.

I’m pretty much a lightweight and am feeling things after three beers. A bottle of wine would usually put me a really good place.

I think there is going to be a lot of fights tonight, for those of you hoping the Oil show some emotion.

128. HBomb says:

Bruce: I rememeber the Corson “year”, yes, but that was the lockout shortened season, so it was over quick and he landed us Cujo in a trade. But with the throwing under the bus of the PP by THECAPTAINETHANMOREAU, #18 has officially entered into the Corson family of captaincy.

Relic: no hyperbole here. I ran with some crazies in high school and graduated with an engineering degree. The really crazy part is I’ve got buddies with stories that top ANY shit I throw out for public consumption.

129. bookie says:

I once remember how the city rallied together to bring Motley Crue here.

I want to emphasize that I was trying to emphasize how pathetic that was (not how good it was).

It actually pissed me off for two reasons. The first and obvious one was that ‘The Bear’ was able to get Edmontonians to get on board a huge push to bring Motley Crue to Edmonton.

The second was how an old washed up 80′s rock band (it was some reunion tour) that really was never that big somehow managed to fool enough people into thinking that they were a ‘big thing’.

Don’t forget not being able to go out for a cup of coffee because that’s what the players really dont like about Edmonton.

130. HBomb says:

I vote in favor of a Jacques-Stortini-MacIntyre 4th line. Throw those three out with Peckham and Strudwick and watch the magic happen.

What’s that, Zorg’s not a natural center? Who gives a fuck – the opposing center will be too busy crapping his pants to even THINK about winning the faceoff.

Gold-section seats tonight (traded my usual tickets from a December game for these, which is the equivalent of getting two years of O’Sullivan for a pending UFA in Cole). Which means access to the bar downstairs, which also means access to the ONLY place in the arena one can acquire spiced rum. As Don Cherry would say, “BEAUTY”.

131. bookie says:

So the rally is supposed to be on now? It seems like the heros that organized this movement were not smart enough to do it closer to gametime, they would have probably picked up 1000+ people who were just heading into the game if they had done it 30 minutes before puck drop.

132. chartleys says:

For the most part, I’m on board with no real sense in booing but I really think things have hit the high water mark around here.

People have been told a lot of things over the years and stood by and now with a level playig field we still don’t have much to cheer about.

It was always

Small market team this
    Small market team that

Then Katz rolls in and we luck our way into a worse draft pick by the end of last year and they’re basically guaranteeing a division contender….Even most nights when we were actually in contention for such a lofty goal, we didn’t really look like it.

The last few years have done very little to instill much confidence and people see that and want change. I can’t really blame them at this point.

My heart hasn’t been fully in 2006-2007 when I had a pair of tickets to the blue jackets game in january and I went to a party instead.

Reason being is I realized that I wouldn’t be all excited if we won, which we should have done handily, and I was tired of watching us loose these types of games. Things haven’t been right since after that run.

The reasons for some of the boos and the class of some fans is unfortunate but should be far from unexpected.

133. dave says:

I don’t think we were a cap team with our eye on division title during the Corson years. I have a team poster from that year. LEAN….Smid coulda made 3 line LW easy on that squad.

134. HBomb says:

Jesus H. Christ, 5pm MST and a sixer of Strongbow gone, just like that.

Off to dinner, then the game. If you see someone getting hauled of the arena for being too drunk on TV, that would be moi.

135. Swabbubba says:

Hey to help out Katz.
    I think we should get official Oiler Torches, Pitchforks, and Pikes. That way when we riot he gets a cut. Nothing like this pussy Vancouver riots of GnR. Should make the Richard riots like a cake walk.

Can’t be bothered. Sit on the couch eating Doritos wondering why the Oilers pissed away another season. I wonder what the excuse will be. The one thing the Management Morons can do is fix the fucking ice plant.

136. chartleys says:

Swab:

Why would you fix the ice plant when you want a new arena?

You can’t tell me this isn’t a conspiracy. We went from having the best ice in the league to always hearing talk about how bad our ice is, right around the time we started talking about a new arena…

I get a chuckle everytime I hear the bad ice brought up in a broadcast.

137. rickibear says:

Does Burrows play with sedin’s. Leave burrows for Peckahm he has a list.

Cooke
    Lemuiex
    Burrows
    Ruutu
    Cluterback
    Avery
    ETC.

Peckham is already two down on the list.

138. chartleys says:

Before anyone points it out I do realize that Dan Craig is not longer here but still

139. Bruce says:

I vote for a Zack-Jacques-SMac* First line. We are, after all, playing the Canucks.

(* rhymes with Black Jacques Shellac — and yeah, I’m dating myself with that reference to an old Bugs Bunny villain)

I’ll have you know Zorg ranks THIRD IN THE ENTIRE NHL in faceoff percentage*.

(* among those who have taken 10 or more draws — Zack’s 7-4, 63.6% ranks behind just Trent Whitfield and Jeremy Colliton, as per NHL.com)

140. Traktor says:

You know what has to be depressing for the MacT crowd?

The next coach is going to look like a genius no matter who it is.

It’s kind of like asking someone to open a jar of spaghetti sauce for you and then they pop it open the first try and look at you like you’re a wimp. Then you look back and say its because I loosened it up for you.

141. Temujin says:

Black Jacques Shellac

Pure Gold.

Also Pure Gold

142. Temujin says:

Oh, I see where this is headed.

Youtube war.

Ya know, it might be the wine talking, but I’ve always thought Horcoff would look better in a Canucks uniform.

On the fourth line.

On a line with Hordichuk and Johnson.

143. Traktor says:

Omark to the KHL?

“The 22-year old Omark remains unsigned by the OIlers and is reportedly looking for the rookie maximum on an entry level contract”

144. Icecastles says:

Well if we are all going to post music videos:)

It must say something about our flagging interest and faith that the GDT seems to be almost entirely comprised of tangents and anecdotes today!

145. Fake Craig McTavish says:

Temujin said…
    Oh, I see where this is headed.

Youtube war.

On the fourth line.

On a line with Hordichuk and Johnson.

Nah, wouldn’t work. He might have to hit someone.

146. Icecastles says:

I could have sworn I’d heard that the Oilers had already signed Omark.

147. Temujin says:

Icecastles: I love you, man.

148. Coach pb9617 says:

HBomb: You don’t remember the Corson years, do you?

Moreau IS the second-worst captain in team history.

Aw man, no! It’s not coffee! It’s temperature and social scene! What’s with this rush for new excuses now?

Well if you’re gonna do it, do it:

150. Derek says:

Youtube?
    Music?

Not quite the same idea as what you fellas have been posted, but hopefully good for a laugh or two in this sad corner of the interweb.

When the Captain catches up to Hbomb later this evening and he’s screaming into someones toilet, Craig will be who he prays to.

151. Derek says:

Not quite the same idea as what you fellas have been posting !

Is how that should go.

Man, we’re like an AA meeting. Except of course no one goes.

This is a great track.

Great band too, look em up, you won’t be sorry you did.

Title is appropriate as well…

154. Icecastles says:

LT – I didn’t think I’d find anyone else here into Joy Division! Then again, Temujin turns out to like industrial music too.

Hell, none of my fellow architecture students even like HOCKEY. Of course if I spend much more time on this gawddamned blog today, I won’t be a student much longer. Why can’t school happen in the offseason? Love the Craig vid, by the way, Derek!

Okay, last link (for now): Everything is amazing, nobody’s happy. I was thinking this could describe us fans right now, but then I remembered that the only amazing things about this season aren’t really amazing in a good way.

155. Icecastles says:

Man LT, you have far better taste in music than I’d have guessed.

*back to hockey*

Nilsson had been listed as out with an injury, but I notice on the roster update for tonight that he isn’t listed with Smid and Visnofsky. I assume he’s better but at this point would be a healthy scratch for the rest of the season. Does anyone know what the rules are as far as having to list a player status? In other words, it’s safe to assume Nilsson won’t be seeing the ice any more this season unless another forward gets hurt – why not just continue to list him as injured? Are there pay/contract/rules issues that govern this sort of thing?

156. Coach pb9617 says:

Tyler Kennedy with an absolutely amazing rush and drop to Staal for a goal.

Teke is the goods.

157. Yeti says:

Rick Astlee is Liam Redox’s cool older brother.

158. oilerdago says:

//The 22-year old Omark remains unsigned by the OIlers and is reportedly looking for the rookie maximum on an entry level contract”//

After a week like this week, don’t blow this one Tambo.

Eberle with a goal tonight, 2-2-4 in 6gp. This kid is 18 years-old, and I still think Nash is the best prospect in the organization but this narrow view (AHL) has been very, very good imo.

160. Bruce says:

Totally on topic, the lyrics of this song are about Kevin Lowe’s “balanced roster” but the name of the band seems to be about Thecaptainethanmoreau and the song title about the state of his locker room.

161. Bruce says:

I know the pieces fit cause I watched them tumble down
    No fault, none to blame it doesn’t mean I don’t desire to
    Point the finger, blame the other, watch the temple topple over
    To bring the pieces back together, rediscover communication

There was a time that the pieces fit, but I watched them fall away
    Mildewed and smoldering, strangled by our coveting
    I’ve done the math enough to know the dangers of our second guessing
    Doomed to crumble unless we grow, and strengthen our communication

Cold silence has a tendency to atrophy any sense of compassion
    Between supposed brothers

– Tool, “Schism”

Nailed it Bruce. Wouldn’t take you for a Tool fan, nice work.

So is Nilsson in?

163. Bruce says:

And with that, off I go. Enjoy the game, everybody!

‘cept you, Temujin. :D

164. Bruce says:

PS Woodguy: I’m a big Tool fan, oops, er, well, you know what I mean. Esp. like Lateralus (which is supposedly based on the Fibonacci sequence) and 10,000 Days. Saw them with my son in Rexall last year. I’m pretty sure I was the oldest person in the house. Wonderfully complex, remind me in some ways of the great King Crimson.

165. Mike says:

This might mark the very first occasion in which I have contributed something of legitimate value to this finest of blogs.

This guy is absolutely otherwordly. Been a fan for 10 years and finally got to see him in Halifax 2 weeks back. Do yourselves a favor:

166. Yeti says:

Mike – I like Phelps, but find the songs sounding a little similar quite quickly. If you listen to the first track off of the albums ‘Sky Like a Broken Clock’ and then ‘Slingshot Professionals’ it’s basically the same tune repeated. Good player, though, and must be fun live.

Is JFJ playing tonight?

167. Dennis says:

Just how good IS Omark? I think that’s what we should be discussing.

And, folks, not One birthday wish?

Go fuck yourselves;)

168. Smarmy Boss says:

Your birthday Dennis are you 40 yet? Must be close.

Oh Christ, Dennis. I sent you a big 2-4, didn’t you get it? :-)

Happy birthday, buddy. Drink the beer I’d buy you if I could.

Re: Omark. Undersized, but his Desjardins NHLE is:

82gp, 28-38-66

which is excellent, of course.

170. Smarmy Boss says:

Omark is probably worth a max rookie contract.

They’d be wise to just make that deal. His shootout goal only has so much cache.

The other thing the Omark situation points out is that this procurement department is pretty damn good. 10 years ago this team was missing in the lottery.

172. Smarmy Boss says:

Yes. I’d like to see them hit on some more late round gems out of the WHL.

(we’re one of a handful of teams that is right in this leagues territory)

173. Showerhead says:

Another one-period-and-out affair for me. Salsa dancing at the bar tonight – I have zero clue what to expect but I sure as hell hope it involves sexy Latin women.

Dennis: Happy Birthday! Throw back some tequila for me.

HBomb: I may find my experienced barback/inexperienced bartender self serving drinks tonight. You got any simple girly shots to recommend? If it gets any fancier than tequila I might find myself at a loss :P

174. oilerdago says:

Good point about the procurement dept LT – it has been getting better.

Wtih a kid with that much ability available – and how long has it been since we’ve seen someone show us anything close to that – you have to get the deal done.

No excuses acceptable.

175. B.C.B. says:

Eberle is only one goal off my generous estimation (2g 2a 4pts -2). Between him and Omark which one (2?) of the scrimps are leaving?

176. Icecastles says:

Happy birthday Dennis! SMac will beat up Luongo in your honour tonight. :)

177. Mike says:

Yeti: I can see where you are coming from but ‘Shine Eyed Mister Zen’ is a tour de force…evokes disbelief.

He is outstanding live – I was ten feet away from his performance in a small club and it was memorable. Shook his hand on his way off stage (standing O).

go oilers. is there anything less emphatic than lower case?

Slow comfortable screw up against the wall. Not a shot, but a real conversation starter (it’s a combo Harvey Wallbanger + screwdriver).

179. oilerdago says:

Happy b-day Dennis.

I liked the “other” shoot-out goal that Grapes just showed on Hockey Night – not Omarks, but the blonde in spiked heals.

Good follow thru.

Ingredients:

1 1/2 oz. Sloe Gin)
    1 1/2 oz. Southern Comfort
    1 1/2 oz. Vodka
    1 splash(es) Galliano
    Orange Juice

181. Showerhead says:

LT: If we’re classy enough to have Galliano (honestly, I am 50/50 on this) then I am classy enough to start that conversation with my (possibly fictional) sexy Latin women.

182. Yeti says:

LT – can I send you the bill for laptop repairs as I just laughed up beer all over my machine after reading about your slow comfortable screw up against the wall? There must be some culpability here: you’re not thecaptainethanmoreau after all.

183. Icecastles says:

nice start!!!

184. oilerdago says:

That was fast. Kotalik’s playing for a contract…somewhere.

185. Quinn says:

woo hoo

186. rickibear says:

Just how good IS Omark? I think that’s what we should be discussing.

We draft based on historical reference and performance in leagues.

I have posted this tonnes of times.

Here is his production and historical reference.

Since the start of the SEL in 1976 13 players have been in the top ten in scoring at the age of 21 or earlier. Here is a list of those players, The first time they apeared in the SEL top10, and there nhl production.

75-76:
    Kent Nilsson (19yrs) 553GM 264G 422A 686PTS (1.24pts/gm)
    Thomas Gradin (20) 677GM 209G 384A 593PTs (.88pts/gm)
    76-77:
    Bo Berglund (20) 130GM 28G 40A 68Pts (.52Pts/GM)
    77-78:
    Mikko Leinonen (21) 162GM 31G 78A 109Pts (.67Pts/GM)
    78-79: None
    79-80:
    Mats Naslund (20) 651GM 251G 383A 634Pts (.98Pts/GM)
    80-81: None
    81/82:
    Hakan Loob (21) 450GM 193G 236A 429Pts (.96Pts/GM)
    Patrik Sundstrom (20) 676GM 219G 369A 588Pts (.87Pts/GM)
    82/83:
    Tomas Sandstrom (18) 983GM 394G 463A 857Pts (.87Pts/Gm)
    83-84: None
    84-85: None
    85-86: None
    86-87: None
    87-88: None
    88-89: None
    89-90: None
    90-91: None
    91-92: None
    92-93:
    Markus Naslund (20) 1066GM 382G 465A 847Pts (.80Pts/GM)
    Peter Forsberg (20) 706GM 249G 636A 885Pts (1.25Pts/GM)
    93-94: None
    94-95:None
    95-96: None
    96-97: None
    97-98: None
    98-99: None
    99-00:
    H. Sedin (19) 592GM 91G 313A 404Pts (.68Pts/GM)
    D. Sedin (19) 588GM 160G 248A 408Pts (.69Pts/GM)
    00-01:
    Henrik Zetterberg (20) 380GM 165G 193A 358Pts (.94Pts/GM)
    01-02: None
    02-03: None
    03-04: None
    05-06:None
    06-07:None
    08-09:
    Linus Omark ?????
    Johan Jarju ?????

Get him over!

His desjardins screams
    for a Penner-Gagner-Omark second line.

187. Quinn says:

mark lee mixing it up tonight – ethanmoreau…thecaptain. Hack

188. Coach pb9617 says:

Nilsson played last game. You been drinkin’ with HB?

189. boopronger says:

As good as Lateralus and 10,000 days are, Aenima is the peak of Tool.

190. B.C.B. says:

Seriously Stortini had a wonderful defensive play. I am sure if he can increase his foot speed and learns a little from St. Fernando, he’ll be on the PK soon.

191. jon k says:

Rickibear: Omark is a LW. Which is a shame since his linemate Harju looks and plays a lot like Penner.

In terms of where Omark projects, his style of play makes him look like a mix between Ladislav Nagy or Martin Erat. And I think his upside should be seen to max out there. Both players have the advantages of size and experience in the NA game at a much younger age than Omark.

That being said, I’m of the opinion that he’s worth a max entry level deal with the understanding that he can be released to the SEL if he chooses.

The odds are though that his upside is probably closest to simply being an SEL perennial all-star.

192. Icecastles says:

Coach: Oh yeah. never mind. My brain melted a couple days ago.

That was a penalty worth taking, I think. Unless Vancouver scores on the PP. Then is was moronic. :)

193. Coach pb9617 says:

So is “net presence” the new “puck possession”?

194. Icecastles says:

It looks like there’s a woman in a Habs jersey dancing like a drunken lemur behind Luongo. Wonder if that’s one of HBombs friends.

195. Icecastles says:

So is “net presence” the new “puck possession”?

If it is, the Oilers must have a pretty low “net worth” this year.

196. Quinn says:

See Hemsky! That’s what happens when you drive the net!

197. Coach pb9617 says:

Is Gagner wearing a new model of skate? Something looks different.

Newer Comments »