Ch-ch-ch-ch-Changes

This is David Bowie. From the moment a song called “Space Oddity” hit the airwaves 40 years ago Bowie has been able to keep himself at least somewhat viable as an artist all down the line. I believe he has had something to do with Scarlett Johansson’s career (although my daughter is currently unable to inform me of who the hell David Bowie is) and anyone my age has a list of favorites (mine are “Young Americans,” the stunning German version of “Heroes” and the ridiculously catchy “Sound and Vision”) from the Thin White Duke.

One of his early 70′s hits was called Changes, and featured a stutter intro to the chorus (there’s a ton of these in pop music, from The Who’s “My Generation” to BTO’s “You Ain’t Seen Nothin’ Yet” to Van Morrison’s new live version of “Cypress Avenue” and beyond) that makes it fun to sing-a-long to.

I find myself wishing the entire Oilers organization would have been tongue-tied in the last 24 hours. As I understand the events owner Katz was riding in his car to the game with his wife, didn’t like what Bob Stauffer was saying, sent a text that said “MacT is going nowhere” and Bob had a stroke. Or some such.

This was followed by Kevin Lowe’s “press conference from the set of Rocky Horror” and I would not have been a bit surprised to hear Lowe sing “but it’s the pelvic thrust that really drives you insane” at the end of the PC.

As near as I can tell, this was a case of several guys coming to the aid of a friend, which is cool and all but once again reminds us of why there are PR people and talking heads to handle this kind of thing. A much better response to the Katz gaffe would have been a nice young man with a short haircut and expensive suit saying “Mr. Katz sent an private message to Mr. Stauffer that was misunderstood and made public. The Oilers will evaluate all areas of the organization at season’s end and make decisions in due time” or something along those lines.

What we now have is an old fashioned dog-and-pony show, with everyone but Ziggy Stardust and Iggy Pop getting involved. Ethan Moreau told us today there will be changes and the kids are different now and the special teams weren’t helped and if you read between the lines he’s saying don’t trust anyone under 26.

A fine mess we have here. A little while ago I suggested that if MacT stayed we could predict a few of the players heading out (Penner, Pouliot, Nilsson). After today I think we might be looking at something deeper here, something resembling a really big mistake.

Really big.

Why? Daryl Katz is way more involved than he should be, to the point where “loose cannon” and “Wild Bill Hunter” may end up being relevant references this summer.

I feel sorry for us.

Hide.

54 Responses to "Ch-ch-ch-ch-Changes"

1. angryroughneck says:

Mac T’s greatest strength as a head coach is his ability to develop hockey players. He teaches young men what they will have to do, based on their specific skill set, to become men in the NHL. His weakness as acoach is line matching. Mac T prefers a 4 line team that he can roll for the entire game. The unabalnced line up this year (the subtraction of Stoll, Reasoner) didn’t let him do this and thus forced him into line matching which isn’t his strength as a coach. Get this a 3rd line center so size up fron and this team will be fine this year. Fire whomever is in charge of special teams and move on. Go Oilers

2. dawgbone says:

Our white knight is starting to show some kinks in his armour.

3. Rod says:

LT, don’t read too much into a 5 word text message. Yesterday was weird, no doubt. Just don’t read too much into it. Leave that to Terry Jones.

And if big changes are afoot to excise a couple vets that are putting themselves on a pedestal above the “youngsters”, then that’s a good thing. thecaptainethanmoreau needs to go (based on recent post-game comments, today’s comments, and more than anything else, on-ice performance). To me, 18 is clearly unsuited to remain as an Oiler, let alone captain. That’s a big change I can completely support.

4. Rod says:

angryroughneck said…
    Fire whomever is in charge of special teams and move on.
    —-
    You do realize that’s probably MacT…right?

5. Icecastles says:

I see where you’re coming from, and I agree completely. David Bowie should coach the team. And the support staff can be the Spiders from Mars. After all, Bowie is credited with brining the mullet into pop culture, and what can be more hockey than that?

I have steadfastly avoided any sort of panic in this whole debacle, but if the mistakes you are alluding to come to pass in the offseason, LT, I am finding a new team to cheer for. Seriously.

For the record, I don’t think these mistakes will happen, or at least not to the extent we fear. I think what we are really seeing is the death throes of the old guard. Moreau in particular sees it and it is starting to dawn that there is no place in the new order for old ideas. He may still be here next year, but his days will be numbered, he will be trade bait, and his style of hockey won’t be the one preached.

This level of bombast isn’t something you hear from people who feel secure in their positions. It’s something you hear from people who are terrified, because they know massive change is coming and they don’t know how it will play out.

I don’t think this is going to be a good summer for the fans, but I think whatever the teams problems are next year, they will be new ones and the result of change and turmoil, not of stagnation.

6. shepso says:

Damn, LT…you stole one of my blog titles from a few months back. I think it applies here probably more than it did when I invoked the song back in December. I really wish I knew what to think about any of this. The only silver lining I can find in any of this is that not making the playoffs means I can ignore hockey for the next while and maybe have a hope in hell of finishing my master’s thesis by its new deadline of April 22 (formerly May 1st), allowing for plenty of time to tweak my blog posts to fit the impending CBJ/Flyers Stanley cup finals I am predicting somewhat irrationally as of right now.

It’s been a fun season. Thanks for all the great posts and the hours of time I spent reading, ranting and getting to discuss something I love as much as my research almost every day. Becoming a part of this little community has given me an even greater appreciation for the game and the team (despite the epic failure of the season) while living away from the city I will always call home.

7. Derek says:

Have we sold our souls to the devil in a red dress or is it just the case of a friend coming to another friends aid?

Never a dull moment in Oilerland, I think I would’ve used Britney Speares Circus to describe the state of the nation at the moment, but then i’d have to admit to a blog full of male sports fans that i’ve listened to a britney speares song.

Damnit.

8. jon k says:

I thought the game last night was a good one for the Oilers. They hit the post 3 times on legitimate scoring chances and I think they beat this depleted Sharks team 3 times out of 4.

On a darker note, Katz’s unconditional support of MacT is a bit disheartening. He needs to be pulling the strings from behind the veil if he’s going to be getting involved at all.

Deserved or not, a large portion of the fanbase is angry at the head coach right now and it’s simply poor optics for him to rule out possibilities for change or improvement. If he wants to support MacT that’s fine, but do so in a discrete manner.

In terms of where this team is headed, I’m of the opinion that we either need a new coach or at least 3 significant players coming over in the off season.

I think my shopping list is at least similar to the one Lowe and Tambellini had coming into this season: 1) First line forward to play with Hemsky. 2) Checking line and PK centre. 3) Physical, steady top 4 D man.

What’s just so puzzling is that despite striking out on the first item, which is understandable as a fan, is why they just gave up on the other two needs.

In the right circumstances two singles can be better than a triple. I think that was lost on management who decided to go into the season with a “see what we got” mentality when the centrepiece of their offseason failed to materialize.

Going back to what LT and many others have said this season, the culpability of management is far greater than that of the man behind the bench. And I say this as a fan who is indifferent as to whether he goes or stays.

For where we go now, here’s hoping for JDD and Chorney to get some time. Best to see if we can maximize the season and get down to 8th overall at the draft.

9. Coach pb9617 says:

shep:

Don’t you dare ignore your blog. I’ll make Katz send you text messages if you do.

10. digger says:

I think we’d better prepare ourselves for quite the bloodletting, and it won’t be reserved solely for the active roster.

My worry is Katz is going to live up to his “life is short” mantra and sacrifice every young player of note on this roster, fritter away draft picks like so much confetti, all for the sake of “making a splash”.

It’s gonna be a very volatile summer, I think.

11. jon k says:

On an unrelated note the Leafs have signed two of the top free agents out of college in the last week.

Bloody Burke.

12. Jonathan Willis says:

Change isn’t always bad.

That said, I’d like to borrow from the amazing Despair.com:

“When the winds of change blow hard enough, the most trivial things can turn into deadly projectiles.”

13. shepso says:

@Coach…not to worry, I won’t ignore it and neither will BCB… Just seems like an appropriate time to make a graceful exit from this forum for a little while. I’ve got something up my sleeve for the home base. I just need a few days to kick it out.

And thanks, that’s a helluva compliment.

14. digger says:

I know it’s a very minor raindrop in the overall hurricane slamming Oiler Coast, but I kinda hope Omark doesn’t know how to read or speak English yet.

15. mjsh says:

My take is that there is a plan in place and it will stay in place. The year was to see what the Oilers had with the young guys and we found out there was some good and some bad. Once Gagner got over his ankle injury he played well, Grebs quit taking acid and played well, Gilbert had a decent year. Rowbear has to get his head together and Penner is Penner. Hemksy scored about a point a game. I do not think the player movements will be all that striking. There truly is a sound foundation here and some one with more detailed mind will tell you that the underlying numbers say the team took a step forward this year.
    The outcry is based upon big expectations not being met. I too predicted that the Oilers would fight for the division title. Brownlee on the other hand said they would miss the playoffs.

16. Coach pb9617 says:

Shep, that’s cool. I’m still going to have Katz text you for amusement purposes.

17. Icecastles says:

Awesome site, JW! Some of those designs seem to be made for the Oilers.

And at thumbnail size, I could have sworn that the last word in this one was “Schremp”.

18. Icecastles says:

Mjsh: The team did take a step forward in certain respects, and as has been mentioned here, if the special teams were even slightly better, they would have been a lock for the playoffs.

But the outcry isn’t based on missed expectations, at least not for the past few months. The outcry is based on three things:

1 – A lack of work ethic/desire (loosing because you aren’t good enough is one thing, loosing because you don’t try hard enough is another)

2 – Poor decision-making that has resulted in scapegoated players, failed lines, selfish players who can do no wrong in the eyes of the coach and illegal sticks that aren’t.

3 – Increasing evidence that there is a deep divide on the team between the young and the old and a growing level of hostility in the locker room.

They say that you win as a team and loose as a team, but right now, they are loosing as individuals and not supporting each other. And if we wanted to see that, we’d watch the NBA. :)

19. Fake Craig McTavish says:

mjsh said…

“My take is that there is a plan in place and it will stay in place. The year was to see what the Oilers had with the young guys and we found out there was some good and some bad…..There truly is a sound foundation here and some one with more detailed mind will tell you that the underlying numbers say the team took a step forward this year.
    I do wish Brodziak had been given the third line centre role. Cogs is more than a young Marchand. To me there is hope for next year. Too bad we missed the boat this year.”

Incremental progress, which I dispute since the Oilers will finish with fewer points and a lower conference ranking, would actually be a step backward.

There’s no reason to believe any of the top guns in the WC will be much weaker next season while Chicago, CLB and STL are already trending past the Oilers while LA and PHX should be right be behind.

20. Jonathan Willis says:

Icecastles: I’ll confess that I blew 100$ at their online store when I found the site; I love that stuff.

And way too much of it is applicable both to this hockey team and certain facets of my own life ;)

21. Icecastles says:

MacT today: “I’ve got no appetite or time for guys who feel sorry for themselves.”

I know what he’s saying BUT…
    When you are dealing with men, right on. Time for them to act their age. When you are dealing with 19 and 20 year-olds however, sometimes you have to swallow the ‘been there done that, deal with it” attitude and remember that some of your players are REALLY young, REALLY inexperienced (and I’m talking about life experience here, not just hockey) and are going to have a tougher time coping with some things. Writing off the emotional struggles of any player, let alone young players whose confidence has got to be about as fragile as a coaching job in Ottawa about now, strikes me as arrogant and either naive or willfully blind to one of the realities of the job.

To anyone who says the coach has nothing to do with motivating their players, I say you haven’t had to manage people before. And if you have managed people and you still believe that, I would suggest that you probably weren’t very good at it. You could ask the people under you if that’s true, but they probably have learned the hard way that you’re not looking for honesty from them, you’re looking for agreement, acceptance and subservience.

And if that makes you feel bad, suck it up – I don’t care about feelings either. (tongue firmly in cheek here)

22. mjsh says:

Icecastles. I agree with the frustration level on the not enough try. I find it rather interesting that they played better on the road than at home. Perhaps related to less distractions, especially for the younger guys. In any job, the distractions of the rest of your life play a factor in your ability to perform at your peak. I believe as you get older you learn to deal better with that. Rowbear for one, I would hate to see leave. He has such a big upside and yet has shown far too little effort this year.

23. Icecastles says:

Agreed, mjsh. I am really curious to see what sort of a player he develops into. His upside is so big, but when you look at his dad, you can also see a huge potential to never stabilize enough to be a player that coaches can count on. I hope he sticks around and becomes a staple. I actually figured he was a guy MacT would really be able to bring around.

I’ve thought the same thing about young guys being distracted at home. I had heard that this was a big part of the reason Lupul struggled so much here – partly the hometown pressure, but more that there were just way too many distractions outside the rink. It’s got to be incredibly tough to overcome that as a 19 year old player, or even as a guy in his early 20s. I’m in my 30s and I still battle with it!

24. HBomb says:

Lowetide: I hope that “really big mistake” doesn’t involve dealing off any of Hemsky, Gagner, or Gilbert.

My fear is that there’s a disconnect between Hemsky and MacT, and that Katz is going to take MacT’s side, resulting in a trade request by our best player.

25. Smarmy Boss says:

David Bowie is awesome. Low is the best album of the 70′s. His only mistake in those days was trying to take some of the testosterone out of the Stooges, but I can forgive.

26. Icecastles says:

Perhaps the big mistake will allude back to my comment yesterday: Lowe and Katz laying in bed, wondering what the hell they just did. I’d not meant it how it sounded, but now whenever I hear ‘big mistake’ on this thread, it’s all I can see. Thanks for that, Phil. :)

27. mjsh says:

Icecastles. I remember the seeing the magic man both as a hated Flame and I remember being thrilled when he became an Oiler. You would think he would be able to teach his kid a few things and then I think of my boys. And I guess not yet.

28. Icecastles says:

Smarmy Boss – Iggy Pop was truly the most macho badass drag queen of all time. ;) Is he still performing? I think the last time I even heard reference to him was in the age-jokes from Trainspotting.

29. Coach pb9617 says:

Oh man, if only hockey scouting was as easy as horse breeding :)

30. Icecastles says:

hahahaha. It’s a funny thing – great parent doesn’t necessarily mean great son, but spoiled parent all too often means spoiled son. Kent did have a certain outlook on life that made him difficult to coach, and there is a lot of Kent in little Robbie. Again, I like the guy a lot and I hope he turns out to be a great player. I’m very curious to see if he overcomes his upbringing and becomes a guy that the team can count on and know what to expect from him.

31. bookie says:

I totally disagree with the post LT (except all the Bowie stuff) and am surprised at you buying into the hype.

Rod is correct when he says that is a lot of interpretation from a 5 word text.

I totally get what Katz did. I mean, WTF, we were 3 points out of a playoff spot with a huge game coming up and all anyone can talk about is firing the coach. I mean, if I were part of the organization I would think that is kinda stupid of the fans.

NOW, I get the frustration of the fans and I myself have ranted and raved a bit about MacT.

Yet from this situation, to suggest that Katz is somehow way too involved is a stretch. First of all, what is way to involved, i think that when you make 100 million+ investment, you get to be involved. It is the type of involvement that is important. I mean if the guy wants to be in the room to talk about big personal changes, that is fine. He is a smart guy and may even have some advice. If he is overbearing and poutty, well thats different, but there has been no evidence of this.

Msh (or somthing like that said the following
    My take is that there is a plan in place and it will stay in place.

First, I think he is totally correct. Second I think he is totally an Oiler’s plant. Given the influence of the blogosphere, it would be a smart thing to do. Regardless though. I think he is correct. Part of the plan is the Jagr, Ales, Ales line (I dont care that the positioning doesnt work, I think it would be fun so whatever).

Anywho – I think everybody needs to take a bit more of a Bowie perspective on this and sit back and watch time go by a bit and relax…

32. bookie says:

I doubt it, nothing I have seen suggests to me that the guy is an idiot. In fact, relative to the typical Oiler fan, he is a rock. Most fans would have traded Horcoff and Gagner for Smyth, fired about 6 coaches by now, replaced Lowe with themselves, and demonstrated their genius in action.

33. Phil says:

Icecastles: Any time :)

Going back to what I said yesterday – bring on the changes, as long as it doesn’t involve trading the future for the present.

The real scary thing going on here, is that Edmonton was a tough sell to potential incoming players before this season. Now let’s look at some things the Oilers used to have going for them:

- best ice surface in the league (gone for a while now)
    - “once an Oiler, always an Oiler” type camaraderie (gone)
    - a “what goes in the room, stays in the room” mentality from the coach (gone)
    - team play of the “jump on a grenade for each other” type (gone)

Add in a meddling owner…

Ya, good luck landing the big fish now.

It’s no wonder O’Sullivan hasn’t started playing yet. He still can’t believe he’s been forced into this mess for another two years.

34. Icecastles says:

I’ve been thinking.
    There is another way to look at all this.

Katz was listening to the pregame show on his way to the game and was angry about all the talk about the coach being fired right? So…

- Katz is going to games and listening to the radio show. Because he loves hockey and he loves the team and he’s pumped up and he’s a fan. Guys in it for just the money don’t listen to the pregame show. How is this bad?

- He is hearing all the anger and frustration and seeing the lynch mob light the torches. When you are as elevated above the hordes as he is, don’t underestimate how common it is for an owner to surround himself with yes-men and be shockingly oblivious to the dissent around him. So he has an ear to the ground, knows what’s on peoples’ minds and takes it seriously rather than dismissing it as a ‘vocal minority’. How is this bad?

- Shitty as things have been, the team is still a game or two away from statistical elimination and the number one fan isn’t ready to give up on his boys and hates that other people have. How is this bad?

- He knows what needs to be done, but he’s not going to have a bunch of asshole media-types and bloggers making his decisions for him. Death by committee is no good for anyone (unless you’re in the EIG) and he intends to see that the ship is guided by a steady, not a forced or panicked hand. How is this bad?

- He texts while driving. Okay, that’s bad.

35. rickibear says:

JW: Classic! I was working at Transalta Sundance Plant in 1999. Corporate spent a tonne of money on a motivational poster campaign. I found the demotivation collection and photo quality printed. 12-3X4. Had them framed and hung them in my office. I was at Keephills the next day when said HR corporate people came by. They were not amused.

Got called in to the office the next day. Trans Alta was the most politically toxic company I ever worked for. Supress the humour and expression. The big one was cover thy ass.

I hope we did not get a taste of the same thing in the oilers office last night.

PS: The twelve: Apathy, Blame, Defeat, Failure, Futility, Incompetence, Ineptitude, Leaders Mediocrity, Mistakes, Motivation,Tradition

I still smile.

36. Jonathan Willis says:

RB: I came across cluelessness one day; a gift from a co-worker after some difficulties with an equipment operator.

The “sacrifices” poster with the pawn is my favourite, I think.

37. digger says:

I doubt it, nothing I have seen suggests to me that the guy is an idiot.

There’s lots of cases of very intelligent businessmen who make rash and shortsighted decisions when it comes to owning a sports franchise.

The truth is, we don’t fully know yet what kind of owner Katz will turn out to be. Now that he’s come to his first “crisis” as it were, IMO this upcoming offseason will give us more of an answer.

It’s easy to look like a good owner when things are going well. Let’s see what happens now.

38. mjsh says:

Who is a plant. Certainly not me. I am a manager in a car dealership. Deal with unmotivated people every day. I have a great deal of empathy with Mac T. The reality is that some of those unmotivated people grow up and become stars. The trick is figuring out which ones.

Where is everyone getting the Moreau comments from? I would really like to read/listen to them.

His interview with Gregor after his eye injury, where he said “our so-called skill players haven’t scored enough for us” was the first bright signal of damage in the locker room.

I was flabbergasted that a captain of a NHL hockey team referred to current teammates as “so-called skill players”

As someone who has been in leadership position in different types of organizations I am usually appalled at what comes out of his mouth.

Leadership is about the buck stopping with you. Taking responsibility when those under you make mistakes, and leading by example.

Moreau tries to lead by example, but rarely takes responsibility when things are bad, and loves to pass the buck (particularly to the powerplay. He stuck it to them lately, and stuck it to them back in December when the PP was 16th and the PK was 25th respectively in the league)

Also,

How much of Stauffer’s ass got chewed off today?

I’ve always like Stauffer, but if I were his boss (Lowe? LaForge?) I would have been livid that he went public with text.

I don’t care if Katz gave his the go-ahead to use it.

Stauffer was acting like a journalist with a great scoop. Problem is that he’s not a journalist. He’s on staff in the Media department and he threw a giant grenade at his own company.

I probably would have fired him for that. If not fire, then the ice would be ridiculously thin for him.

Stauffer himself said he was going to work on keeping a lowish profile around the team. (I believe the exact quote was “sit where they want me to sit on the plane and keep my mouth shut”)

I bet he wishes he kept his mouth shut last night.

40. Gord says:

rickibear,

Love the demotivation posters….

Thanks to you, I’m sitting here listening to David Bowie music – haven’t listened in years….

LT: I really hope you are wrong. I really,really,really hope you are wrong.

I do not for one second want to trivialize something as tragic as war by comparing it to a hockey club, but this kind of reminds me to the early build up towards Gulf War II.

When Rumsfeld, Bush, Cheney and Wolfowitz started with the early signals that they wanted to go to war in Iraq, most of the discussion amongst people I know and good journalists centered around “they couldn’t possibly think that’s a good idea could they? They have to have another angle because every decent military mind is on record as saying its a disaster waiting to happen unless you go in 500,000 troops”

Then they did.

Never underestimate the ability of any decision makers to make absolutely awful, illogical and blatantly stupid decisions when they are surrounded by people who think they exact same way, or by sycophants who are only trying to curry favour

I really hope Kevin Pendergrast isn’t on the outs because the rest of the Oilers management is hell bent on keeping the likes of Staios and Moreau and getting rid of some of the young (and CHEAP) talent they have to placate the older, expensive and sometimes ineffective veterns, and he’s the one sane voice in the room.

If what I fear actually happens, I think I might start to follow Colombus closer, and probably St. Louis too. What they have done in the 2nd half this year is magnificent. Especially with all the key injuries they have had.

Kinda reminds me of getting excited about the Oilers at the end of last year….

42. Icecastles says:

Woodguy – I didn’t listen to the pregame show so I don’t know specifically how it was handled. But I would imagine that if the owner sends a text to a media guy while that guy is doing his show, it would not be unreasonable to expect he would share that on the air. In fact, I can’t image why Katz would send that message if he didn’t want it broadcast. Though again, I suspect he probably regretted sending it later on.

When players first go pro, they get coached in dealing with the media – how to handle an interview, what is and isn’t appropriate to share, what to be careful of, how to be professional, what is expected of them, etc. Katz might do well to sit in one a couple of those seminars. He’s a very private guy, but the success of a pro sports team is, like it or not, based at least as much (and possibly more) on image control as it is on competitive success.

When he first bought the team, a Facebook group appeared called “Darryl Katz is Batman”. But with the reclusive madman persona he’s cultivating, he’s starting to seem more like Dr Claw.

All of this is true.

Stauffer also apparantly has a personal relationship with Katz, which was key in getting his new job.

I would still be pissed off at him if I were his boss.

He’s ex-media and absolutely knew the shit storm those comments would create.

Sometimes you have to tell the boss that his idea is a bad one and maybe he should take a couple minutes and think about it before proceeding.

Stauffer’s instincts got the better of him, and that’s a huge no-no in his position.

44. Oiler Mag says:

If the dressing room is split by Hemsky and Moreau, who would you rather see leave? Let’s hope who ever is making the decisions these days makes the right one.

And Bowie is god, I cried the day he broke up the spiders.
    That said, i was only a few months old, so I cried most days. ;)

45. Matt says:

I don’t doubt your broad point LT (trouble!) but the “text misunderstood/made public” thing wouldn’t fly.

I *was* listening to the pregame at the time. It wasn’t a single text that Stauffer rushed to get on the air. It was:
    #1 Katz: “MacT isn’t going anywhere”
    #2 Stauffer: “Care to come on to discuss? Or can I use the quote?”
    #3 Katz: “Quote me”

Hey, maybe he really is Batman. Gives the impression that he’s detached from everything, only cares about money/charities — but in reality he’s up in people’s faces and kicking ass on a nightly basis.

46. Vic Ferrari says:

I am having trouble unraveling this whole thing.

What we know:
    1. Lowetide is the joint venture of Lain Babcock, Hunter1909 and Traktor.
    2. Recently Lowetide shut down comments on their blog for no apparent reason, only to bring them back a day or so later.
    3. Shawn Horcoff and David Bowie both heterochromatic.
    4. My sources tell me that Hunter1909 is Robin to Katz’s Batman. Though Lain categorically denied this in an interview earlier this morning.

So, let’s reason this through. By linking Bowie and Horcoff with the word ‘hetero’, what is Lowetide trying to tell us? Or perhaps he is saying something about the whole team. Clap clap.

One of the best lines in film comes from Bowie’s character Colin in Into the Night, iirc:
    ‘We wouldn’t want to do anything rash now … would we … Ed.’
    Who the hell is Ed in Lowetide’s analogy? Who is Colin?

And while Lowetide has been fairly explicit here in setting out Ice Castles as Mott The Hoople … who the hell is Iggy Pop in this coded message?

It’s a touch baffling at first read, but if I have understand Lain correctly, and I think I have; the Oilogosphere is going to hell in a handbasket but the Oilers should be just fine.

I’m not sure that I agree with that completely.

47. DeeDee says:

Katz can say anything he likes right now in the context of a season that is winding down.

But any statements he makes will be null and void depending on how the fans respond to this debacle of a season.

If everyone lines up and buys their season tickets and mini packs and the Oilers are still able to fill all the seats with one of the highest ticket prices in the NHL, then it’s clear sailing baby.

We may have had crappy teams in the 90’s after the last cup but at least they showed up every night and worked hard and our ticket prices were one of the lowest in the league, much better value for the money then.

How ANY of the Oilers brass is able to keep their job after the past three seasons is beyond me but if Katz decides to keep everything the same after this season or god forbid, brings in Buchburger as the head coach, this is one fan who votes with his wallet and stays home next season.

48. Doogie2K says:

I was actually expecting, “let’s do the time-warp agaaaaaaaiiiiiiiin.” But then I’m a cynic about this team’s history of nepotism.

Saving throw: The Rolling Stones' Rock & Roll Circus

I'm not really sure there's anything to be gained from idle speculation at this point. I mean, really, we're left with the same set of options that have existed for months now: MacT leaves/is fired or not, and if so, Bucky, Huddy, Lowe, or [actual outsider here] takes over; each of these carrying its own proposed set of likely player personnel moves. A significant number of these options are unpalatable on the surface, but we have no real way of knowing how things would turn out from there. Certainly, wondering if Hemsky's going to ask for a trade because MacT stays/Bucky is hired seems like an awfully big leap of logic from the evidence on hand.

I mean, sure, if we trade Hemsky and Gagner for Brendan Witt and Marty Reasoner, respectively, I'm out, but until then, I'd much prefer to sit back and see what people do in the offseason before getting too tied up in knots.

49. shepso says:

Doogie, this one’s for you…

Yeah, I now I said I was out…just kinda had to respond to the previous post. The Rolling Stones’ Rock N Roll circus was something that was surprisingly fun for a train wreck. I mean, it spawned the one-off super group “The Dirty Mac” featuring John Lennon and Eric Clapton on Guitar, Keith Richards on Bass, and the Jimi Hendrix Experience’s Mitch Mitchell on the drums… That is a team of all stars with their own collective set of issues, but so much raw talent and energy that “keef” was able to play in a position that he wouldn’t normally occupy and excel at it.

Britney Spears is a train wreck on her own, but at least she’s nice to look at again and kind of fun to watch in a twisted sort of way. If a circus analogy is going to work here, especially in the context of rock/pop music vis-a-vis our beloved Oilers, my vote is for the tragedy of final studio recording that Kiss put out, which was also the reunion of the original lineup. By this I am referencing the horrific “Psycho Circus,” an album recorded by a group of old men trying to recapture their faded glory and failing so miserably, yet the fans didn’t give a crap how bad it and the CGI music video made to promote the single of the same name was. They still made that tour one of the most successful of the year; the fans kept coming despite the decline in quality and the promise of incredible new heights that the band promoted the tour/album to reach.

I see the parallels here. Thoughts?

50. Doogie2K says:

Heck, I was simply going for a pop music circus reference that wouldn’t be embarrassing for a male to know something about. The Rock and Roll Circus is actually on my list of things that I need to check out at some point because of its reputation.

That being said, I like your parallel with Kiss; I’m sure there are a number of older classic-rock outfits that have similar stories. Thank goodness Led Zeppelin’s had the good sense to limit themselves since they lost John Bonham; keeps it special enough that you don’t really care whether they’ve lost a step or not.

51. shepso says:

Doogie: It’s a must see, if for nothing more than watching Yoko make a complete ass of herself, and for the performance of the aforementioned dirty mac. They do a version of the classic Beatles track “Yer Blues” and Clapton just shreds the solo. Truly a magical thing to watch or listen to. As well, there’s a clip of Mick interviewing Lennon, and you can totally see how messed up they both were. Priceless!

Vic: Damn. I was trying to be more obscure. Next time: Buzzcocks, Tom Verlaine and Joe Ely.

53. shepso says:

Verlaine is a criminally underrated guitarist! Marquee Moon ruled!

54. Doogie2K says:

@Shepso: I’ll put it on my birthday list, then. Though really, I’ve had the Zeppelin DVDs for two years and never gotten around to watching them (though I hear that Jimmy rocks out the solo to “Heartbreaker” with a friggin’ violin bow on one of the discs), so maybe that’s not actually my best course of action.