MacT Presser

MacTavish is about to speak, edmontonoilers.com

95 Responses to "MacT Presser"

1. Hemsky is a gangsta says:

This music is getting on my nerves!

2. Traktor says:

What a waste of time.

3. mc79hockey says:

Huh. It would appear that he hasn’t made up his mind.

4. quain says:

I can’t get the video to work, did he declare that he’ll come back if Penner sticks to a strict Weight Watchers plan?

5. Quinn says:

Takes a big man to step up before the press when he knows he is not going to answer the only question they want to know. But still, why doesn’t he know?

On the other hand, this is a waste of time. It gives him a platform to blame the players he wasn’t happy with again and state the same thing he has been saying in postgame interviews for the last 4 months.

6. Traktor says:

MacT is coming back but he didn’t have the guts to break the news to the media.

Same old same old.

See ya all next season.

7. Traktor says:

MacT doesn’t even have the balls to talk about Penner.

Gutless.

8. mc79hockey says:

I like how Penner is a topic on par with his future, in terms of not wanting to talk about him.

9. oilerdago says:

Two things he’s not going to address – Dustin in the mix as well.

No will and no skill. Quick summary of the team commentary.

Hmmmm.

10. Traktor says:

This is basically a conduit for MacT to spin things in his favor.

11. Icecastles says:

This can’t be happening. This is like the scene in V For Vendetta where after a barrage of bullets, Creedy, near mad with frustration, shouts “Why won’t you die!?”

12. Lord Bob says:

Come on, MacT. At least have the nerve to text Bob Stauffer with ‘i h8 pennr b/c he slept w/ my wife’ or something.

13. pboy says:

Guarentee’s either MacT or Penner won’t be on this team next season.

14. Quinn says:

Bruce Dowbiggin in the Herald summarises MacT’s coaching career here in a few sentences today. 5 years of 8 out of the playoffs, where Barry Trotz does better with poorer personnel.

Why are we even waiting to hear HIS decision. This is a firing track record (and I think MacT has been shafted by the personnel moves). We should have seen Tambellini coming on to thank him for his years of service and wishing him well somewhere else.

Another reason to wish for behind the scenes ownership like you see on the Flames.

I’m not terribly surprised. I think he’s staying, folks.

16. rickibear says:

Paraphrase: I was unable to coach skill guys. We will change the team to guys I can coach.

17. quain says:

Ahh, I knew this was going to happen. The MacT stepping down thing was a bit too much like how everyone was treating Roloson in the off-season, writing his trade in pen. The world always operates in the exact opposite manner that everyone expects it to.

Which means MacT and Penner are coming back, and they may even get a sitcom!

18. B.C.B. says:

So what did we learn today?
    - he doesn’t like Poo
    - he is unwilling to talk about penner
    - the team lacks will or skill on most nights
    - he likes the defensive corps

(nothing new, except he did take a shot at the fat man)

19. DBO says:

Thank god I don’t work today. Time to start drinking again. Depressing presser. So sad. Mike Myers rises again.

20. Ribs says:

I love it. MacT is awesome.

21. Traktor says:

“I don’t look back and question if I did things right or wrong.

I just press the repeat button.”

22. Quinn says:

OK, LT, then if he is staying, what are the changes that happen? Just scouting? Players shipped out? How does Tambellini build a MacT team from the current and available pieces?

23. oilerdago says:

Said another way: “I can’t coach skill, so give me a grinding team.

And Penner’s not a grinder.

I need more Staios and Moreau.”

24. Traktor says:

I think I might pick up a 40 pounder and drink until my heart explodes.

25. Lord Bob says:

Remember in the thread for game 81 or 80, and I said “am I the only one left who thinks MacTavish is staying” and you all said basically “yes”?

Well, this is why. When patronage and cronies from the eighties run this deep into an organization, mere hopeless incompetence is not going to flush it out.

26. Coach pb9617 says:

I’m not terribly surprised. I think he’s staying, folks.

I won’t be. I won’t renew centre ice and won’t watch the Oilers if that’s the case.

27. Lord Bob says:

I have to admit, I never thought I’d see the day when real change and insight appeared to come to the Canadian Soccer Association before it came to the Oilers.

I’m so used to cheering for corrupt organizations and lost causes I’m practically their patron saint, but that doesn’t make it any easier.

28. rickibear says:

Pick the players under 6′ staying. Not dmen.

Gagner 5’11″ 190
    Cogliano 5’10″ 185
    ????????

29. quain says:

I’d be surprised if we moved O’Sullivan, and he sits at 5’11 190.

30. digger says:

I’m not terribly surprised. I think he’s staying, folks.

I suspect he might be as well, but I still think it won’t be as head coach.

I wonder if his talks w/ Tambo are more to do with MacT wanting a more direct role in the decision making process on the kinds of players this organization obtains in the future.

I have to think that Prendergast is SO out of a job.

31. Icecastles says:

Lowetide said…
    I’m not terribly surprised. I think he’s staying, folks.

I still say no way. To me, this was a chance to give his thoughts on the season overall (brief and unilluminating as they were) without it being completely overshadowed by the subject of his departure. But it’s coming. Reasons:

- “I love coaching”. (expressed in different words several times) Trans: Hey all you GMs out there: think of e over the summer and what I can do for you.

- “I couldn’t get it done.” He’s a proud guy – he has his rationalizations and excuses, naturally, but he knows that he didn’t get everything out of them that he could have and he takes ownership for that. He knows he failed, and the team can do better, or at least should expect better.

- He said he’s not discussing his future right now. If he plans to stay or wants to stay, he would have said that. What was key today was not what he said, but what he didn’t say. And not only did he avoid saying he will be here next year, he didn’t even *imply* it.

- He is a professional sort of guy. He’s not going to announce something before the paperwork is done, and resigning from a public role isn’t as simple as just handing in a letter that says ‘I quit’. So if they are talking about it and negotiating, he’s not going to spill those beans until it’s official.

32. mc79hockey says:

I’m not terribly surprised. I think he’s staying, folks.

This is basically a Schremp issue for me. While I’m fine either way and can see the argument he should go, I’m so sick of the anti-MacT set that I’d kind of like another year.

33. quain says:

That’s how it is for me and has influenced my feelings on Penner similarly.

34. Quinn says:

MC, I think it is a performance issue, not a MacT issue. I am solidly behind a good housecleaning and Tambellini getting his hands firmly on the rudder of the good ship Oil. And I don’t think MacT has performed to the level where he escapes blame.

35. Bill Beerdley says:

Not even W. lasted this long.

36. Traktor says:

Cheers to another year of self-inflicted wounds and double standards.

You’re in Oil Country now!

What’s sad is that if the Oilers came out with lines based on internet polls they would most likely be in the playoffs this year. Truly pathetic.

37. Lord Bob says:

I dunno, Internet polls would probably have Horcoff toiling in the acid mines rather than as the engine of Horpensky where he belongs.

Of course, to you, Traktor, this may be a feature rather than a bug!

38. Icecastles says:

mc79hockey said… I’m so sick of the anti-MacT set that I’d kind of like another year.

You are so tired of hearing the MacT haters that you want him to stay so that you can listen to the MacT haters for another year? I don’t follow your logic.

I suppose you mean that you want them to be proven wrong (as much as he continued presence implies that they were somehow wrong) or to prevent them from getting what they want, but doesn’t that just shoot you in the foot and lead to even more frustration at having to listen to them?

While I finally joined the bandwagon this winter that he needs to go, I hated (and still hate) the contingent who can’t open their mouths without ranting about him. But to make decisions or have preferences based on getting the upper hand on them… well, that’s how the terrorists win, as they say. :)

39. Quinn says:

well, that’s how the terrorists win, as they say. :)

Wait, who’s the terrorist now?

40. Ribs says:

Go Terrorists!

41. Icecastles says:

Brian Burke is the terrorists.

(he’s got a fat face, so he can be described as a plural)

42. Traktor says:

MacTavish’s main argument was that this team is too small, not physical enough and not enough heart.

And to think 46 was just sitting in the PB down the stretch when he had better numbers in limited minutes than key cogs like Horc and Hemsky.

43. Quinn says:

Brian Burke is the terrorists.

(he’s got a fat face, so he can be described as a plural)

44. pboy says:

Two options for the summer:

#1 Make drastic changes to the line-up that better suit a Head Coach who is in the final year of his contract. How can this Head Coach come back and work with either Penner or Nilsson at this point? The two guys we had penciled in as the 1st line and 2nd line LW'ers out the door for what will most likely be 50 cents on the dollar. How much trade value can either of these guys have at this point?

#2 Make the appropriate tweaks to the line-up; 3rd line center who will take some of the load off of Horcoff and #1 & #2 goaltenders who can provide solid but not neccessarily spectacular goaltending. Hire a new head coach who will have a fresh approach to working with this line-up and doesn't have any grudges or unwillingness to play certain players.

It looks like the Oilers will go with option #1.

MacTavish has had a pretty smooth ride with the MSM in Edmonton over his 8 years behind the bench. I love that some people now feel that he is now being treated unfairly and too large a portion of the blame is being put on him. There is an "organizational rot" going on here and MacTavish losing or resigning his job isn't going to fix it but it's also not a bad place to start.

The Toronto Maple Leafs have been involved in ZERO Stanley Cup Finals since 1967. With the resources this team has at it's fingertips, how is that even possible? Because the fanbase of the Leafs blindly supports their team, filling the arena for every game and buying the merchandise as quickly as the Leafs can have it made. The Oilers fans are going to have to start making their voices heard with their pocketbooks. Stop selling out Rexall, stop buying the PPV's, stop buying the merchandise. Darryl Katz is a business man and he would most certainly respond to revenue's dwindling.

45. oilerdago says:

Traktor: Extreme example (Stortini vs Hemsky/Horcoff), but the sentiment about Stortini is right.

Go back to the game against Nashville when 46/51/22 were a line and the job they did (banging & scoring).

Or the game in Anaheim. While we were badly outchanced, if memory serves me right those guys did ok for the few minutes they played (except when 22 came out of the box – but he get's a mulligan).

MacT has some more physical elements that he didn't use, he used 18 in a role (as a 3rd line tough minutes guy) that he's not able to do anymore and he over used Horcoff as well.

I'm not saying he wasn't missing a vital part (3C) which hurt the team badly. But his use of some of the players (mis-use) was very questionable this year and some of his commentary smacks of revisionism (or self-justification).

And that's why MacT lost me this season (where in the past I've been willing to defend him).

46. Scott says:

I’m not sure what kind of revisionism you’re hearing from MacT and he definitely wasn’t trying to justify himself. Two of his main points were that he believes in the decisions he made and that he himself is at fault to some degree for not being able to find a system that this team could use and still win games. It sounded to me like he was accepting a share of the blame for how the season went.

As for the 4th line, it is curious he wouldn’t use guys like Stortini and Jacques with more consistency if he wanted more size in the lineup. Still, the fourth line guys don’t play that much. I think MacT is probably looking for more size on his top three lines.

47. Icecastles says:

Quinn said… Plus doesn’t he refer to himself in the third person? Which adds another person to your plurality there.

Yeah, him and TW. :)

48. Steve says:

I like Liam Reddox as a fourth line energy guy, but it seems to me you have two choices:
    1. You can play him over guys like Jacques and Stortini, or
    2. You can complain about a lack of size in your lineup.

Doing both is ever so slightly incoherent.

49. Smarmy Boss says:

So Lowe and Mac-T get a third chance of making over the team. Hip hop hooray.

50. oilerdago says:

Scott two things MacT said struck me (and maybe it’s just my dissapointment):

- At nights we did not have the will or the skill

- Not wanting to talk about Penner

If he’d said, “we were not a well balanced team this season and I was not able to get the most out of what was there because we were a team in transition with not the right mix” I’d have a litle more respect for him. It seemed that he used his few minutes to shift blame to the players – and to make sure he said nothing about his friend KLowe.

Of course, if honesty is what I’m looking for…

51. Chris says:

Well he has a point that this team lacked heart. It did. On the other hand if you’re wanting to coach a scrappy, forechecking team and you can’t get your players to buy into that some of that is on your doorstep not just them. But we really do need a few players on this team with more of a Ryan Smyth, Theo Fleury type mindset.

52. Chris says:

Although unlike the heart comment the balance and size complaints are hard to really justify. There was this relatively effective large left winger who formed the third part of a very good first line who he kept benching and demoting to the third or fourth line. That was a self inflicted wound.

53. Steve says:

I object as much as the next guy to MacTavish’s use of Penner this year, but saying that the latter is “big” is true only in the technical sense. He doesn’t alleviate what the coach is talking about when he complains about a lack of “size”.

54. Black Gold says:

Wait, you guys think the guy who replaced his 385lb 1LW with a 135lb ginger has no right to complain about size issues?

55. HBomb says:

I’m not terribly surprised. I think he’s staying, folks.

We might as well prepare ourselves for the Hemsky trade request if that’s the case.

And if it does happen, I can’t blame 83 one bit for wanting to go to an organization where accountability and winning are priorities, as opposed to keeping Good Ol’ Boys with mediocre
    performance records employed.

56. rickibear says:

The tough thing is when you look at his problem boys:
    Penner:
    You look for outscoring LW; Try and find a Big player , Plays the tough, and is more Physical than him.
    Andrew ladd
    Ryan Clowe
    Ryan Malone

Brodziak:
    Were do you get a center who:
    -breaks even at outscoring.
    -Top 40 faceoffs
    -OK on PK
    -At his cheap

Reasoner
    Yelle

Nilsson:
    Well nice Knowing you!

57. bookie says:

Well he has a point that this team lacked heart.

Having played for different coaches and worked for different boses, my experience has been that it is hard to give it your all when you don’t respect the guy running things. When you think “WTF, Smid is on Left wing?” and “It might be helpful to keep the lines together for more than one game” I suspect you start leaving your heart on the shelf.

58. Black Gold says:

Is it a little ironic that a coach who digs players like Horcoff, Pisani and Reddox who get the most out of what they have, to not apply that to coaching?

Surely having Penner in the PB and double shifting chop isn’t getting the most out of what you have. (just one example, i doubt anyone wants me to rehash all the not-getting-the-most-out-of-the-lineup moves)

59. pboy says:

How many games did the Oiler players get booed off the ice in their last 10-12 home games? You could hear it pretty clearly at home on the tv, it must have been pretty loud at Rexall. If MacT comes back and this team struggles out of the gate, it's going to be really ugly early at the Drugstore.

Lowe and Co. are going have to get online and demand the fans show more respect for the mediocrity of this franchise. How dare they boo when the team misses the playoffs for 5 out of the last 8 years and 3years straight. They should just keep buying tickets and not questioning the people who make the decisions in this organization (Lowe & MacT).

60. Black Gold says:

Checking out some mock drafts to pass the time..
    One can dream, haha :)

61. Alice says:

// On the other hand if you’re wanting to coach a scrappy, forechecking team and you can’t get your players to buy into that some of that is on your doorstep not just them. //

I’m repeating what somebody said last week , but the defensive forechecking posture (1-2-2) doesn’t exactly get the hearts pounding on the bench. Not to mention the stands. My guess is he plays it low-event because he doesn’t think he has the horses. Well he didn’t have the horses last spring either, but he let them play – and that stretch run was a damn sight better than this one. Error goes to the coach, not the missing 3C or other smoke. You have to play to win, not to avoid losing. Not a MacT hater, but I’m with Coach over investing my hopes in this franchise next year if buddy’s back.

62. pboy says:

I can’t wait for Lowe and Co. to fill this team with “physical players” this off-season to satisfy MacT. Guy who aren’t afraid to go to the areas where goals are scored, so next season the excuse can be that there was plenty of muscle but not enough skill players.

Hey look kids, Big Ben!!!!

63. Black Gold says:

Think it’s going to come to Lowe asking the fans how many cup rings the fans have?

64. Quinn says:

I couldn’t agree more bookie.

People have talked elsewhere about how you teach multi-millionaire athletes to be motivated. I am sure that playing headgames and ‘calling them out’ regularly is not something that is going to work. Not that I think you have to baby them, but you at least gotta create a mutual respect. I mean, as a teacher I know I won’t get anywhere if the teens in front of me don’t respect me, so I need to show them that I care about them as a person before I can get them to listen. And they aren’t even adults yet.

So, create a strong atmosphere in the room, get your players to the place where they would take a bullet for you, THEN go with the hard lessons on how to play the system. All of that can be done (or started well) by the end of training camp.

Saying that there is a lack of heart is actually a leadership issue

65. pboy says:

I couldn’t agree more bookie.

Saying that there is a lack of heart is actually a leadership issue

How dare you??? How many Cups rings do you have? Thought so……

66. bookie says:

Maybe MacT has a point (note:I have frequently criticized MacT). One thing that has always been of value to the Oilers has been that the dressing room is a tight room of unselfish players who have a do or die attitude. Many Oilers talk about this years after leaving this team. That situation/attitude is very beneficial.

So, if a few players like Penner and Nillsonupset that (IF – I dont know, I am saying IF), then it is a determent to the team.

Clearly, some teams have success without a close dressing room, but that is a different strategy. It sounds as though MacT spent a lot of effort trying to get the room back to being a close ‘all for one’ type team (perhaps sacrificing points in the effort)

So, regardless of MacT, a decision has to be made – Is the cohesive ‘all for one’ dressing room worth fighting for (trading for) or in the new NHL do we need to abandon that approach?

I am not talking about grinders vs non-grinders, there are skill players out there who would die on any play to make the play. Players who are kind of the anti-Bonseigneur the anti-Schremp.

So, the question is should management (regardless of who is coaching) focus on getting ‘do or die’/'all for one’ type players OR should we accept some ‘Avery Factor’ cause it buys us talent at a cheaper price (all for one talented players are expensive)?

I think that this is the question facing the Oilers (MacT is a followup).

67. pboy says:

Roli and Horc to play for Team Canada at the World Championships. Just what the doctor ordered for those guys, more games!

Watched a bit of the Blackhawks last game.

Toews was asked by Maguire what Quenneville did that made them the team that they are.

Toews reply was (somewhat paraphrased): “He told each of us what he expected from us so we all knew what our jobs were every night. He also kept our systems simple so we could concentrate on doing our jobs right”

That is pretty much the opposite of MacTavish. He has been called a cerebral coach by many. Even in his press conference today he questioned himself if he made too many changes to their system.

Often players have thanked him for helping their developement when they hated him for it at the time (Jason Chimera excepted) I think this is a reflection on the amount of information and expectation that MacTavish gives to his players.

Young players seem to often get caught up in the minutiae of what MacTavish is trying to teach and stops seeing the forest for the trees.

I think the coach is guilty of that as well.

Its funny that Chimera’s biggest beef (that was publically stated) was that MacTavish was also telling him different problems with his game. Everyday MacTavish found a new and different problem with his game. Whether or not Chimera needed to work a bunch of different aspects of his game is not the questions. Rather, the question is, was Chimera able to understand and work on that many aspects of his game.

The coach may have been honestly trying to help the player, but ended up confusing and frustrating him.

That sounds like a bunch of the young players on this team. Frustrated and confused.

I can see MacTavish not being able to coach simply. Many have screamed “MacTavish can’t coach kids!!”, and I think that’s wrong and has been proven wrong by LT and others.

I think the damning phrase is actually “MacTavish can’t coach simple!”

There are a lot of young players on this team. Players that for the most part want to play good and do good. But if you are not providing a clear set of instructions and attainable goals, you can coach until your blue in the face if they player isn’t ready to take that type of instruction.

So, either change the Coach, or change the players to suit the coach.

Personally I’m not exactly thrilled with either so I don’t really give a shit.

The better players seem to be the younger ones, so for the good of the organization, its probably better to change the coach.

69. Scott says:

I guess I heard MacT taking responsibility for his role in the team failing a lot more than most here. I don’t see any reason to complain that he put some of the blame on the players. I think they deserve some. I really don’t think he was trying to pass the buck.

As for not talking about Penner, I’m surprised people here wanted him to. He obviously isn’t going to be showering him with praise. Why would you want him to come out and say, “Oh Penner, that guy sucks, he doesn’t try hard, he’s undermining the culture of this room with his lack of effort” or something similar. How does that help?

70. Sean says:

well said Woodguy

71. knighttown says:

IF MacT is staying, I’m devastated. When you factor in expectations and injuries I’d say MacT was the worst coach in the NHL to keep his job.

1. In my mind, no playoff team under performed enough to put them in contention outside Montreal who will be 4 and out. But Carbo got fired. So remove SJ, Det, Van, Cal, Chi, St.L, CBJ, Ana, Bos, NJ, Was, Pit, Phi, Car, NYR, Mon.

By the way, 4 teams on this list fired their coaches (Chi, Car, NYR, Mon) during the season and all improved markedly, as did Ottawa.

30-16 playoff teams = 14 contenders for reverse Jack Adams.

2. Already fired their coach is Ottawa but still missed the playoffs is Ottawa and Tampa.

14-2 fired coaches = 12 contenders for reverse Jack Adams.

3. Team was in rebuilding year and therefore had nearly zero chance at making the playoffs. This list includes NYI, Tor, Atl, LA, Fla,

12-5 rebuilding teams = 7 contenders for reverse Jack Adams.

4. Bubble team decimated by injury. This list is headed by Dallas who lost Morrow and Zubov for almsot the entire season, plus Brad Richards just when they were solidfying a playoff spot. I’d also give a pass to Colorado who lost Sakic all year and Stastney for a bunch. As well, remove Minnesota who lost Gabby all season, who may very well be the most crucial player to his team in the NHL.

7-3 = 4 contenders for reverse Jack Adams.

Edm- Visnovsky was the only MAJOR LTI. Moderately tough division.

Nas- Lost Radulov in preseason, Sullivan for about half. Played in the toughest division in the Western Conference.

Phx- Very healthy and a pretty light division.

Buf- the loss of Ryan Miller was devastating.

I’d give Trotz a pass which leaves your candidates as:

Craig MacTavish-Edmonton Oilers
    Lindy Ruff- Buffalo Sabres
    Wayne Gretzky- Phoenix Coyotes

And the winner is?

72. Quinn says:

Scott,

I think the issue here for most of us is that today the appearance is that MacT is coming back.

I don’t personally care where he shifted blame (’cause I think he saw it pretty clearly), but rather its more what LT pointed out that it looks like there is pressure for him to stay.

I don’t think the fanbase really wants to see that, especially those who felt that he did not do the job with the tools available to him. Again, I state, Trotz has done a superior job with inferior tools over the same time period as MacT. If that is not an indictment for dismissal, I don’t know what would be.

73. Black Gold says:

… are those the 4 longest serving coaches in the league right now?

74. Lord Bob says:

Great analysis, knighttown, although I’m afraid I must insist that the Reverse Jack Adams is, in fact, called the George Burnett Award for Coaching Participation.

75. DBO says:

My nightmare is that KLowe and tambellini give MacT “his” team. we move some younger, smaller players, as well as Penner, and go out and build a bigger, more veteran team. While this may get us just good enough to squeek into the playoffs, it does nothing for the foundation of the future.

Pretty sure that’s what we are all afraid of.

I fear Tambo opening his presser after the draft:

“Building on the solid foundation of Ethan Moreau and Steve Staios, we have decided to re-tool this team to be tougher and have more compete”

My season tickets are gone if that happens. Economy is tighter and $4500 + parking and beer is a lot to pay for entertainment. (split seasons with a buddy)

If they keep the good kids and build toward the future I will stay. If they don’t I’m gone.

I’m sure there is a line up to get my ticket so the Oilers really won’t care.

Given the economy and the team I bet that line is a lot smaller than it used to be though….

On second thought, if Tambo moved Penner, Nilsson, Poo, Cogliano, and a pick or prospect and we woke up with Gagne, Armstrong, and a Scuderi/Zanon type this would be a better team.

You have to find Staios a new home either way :-)
    (Not saying Scuderi

78. Showerhead says:

7-3 = 4 contenders for reverse Jack Adams.

4 + 5 teams so stacked with talent you or I could coach them into the playoffs = 9 contenders for reverse Jack Adams (Det, SJ, Pit, Phi, Chi)

9 + 1 team stacked that fell way short of expectations = 10 contenders for reverse Jack Adams (MTL)

10 + 1 team that put up an unsustainable OT/SO record = 11 contenders… (NJD)

Look, I’m shooting from the hip here and this is all irrespective of my opinion of Edmonton’s coach but as impressive as your list looks when aiming to prove a point one way, you can hardly argue that you put it together in an objective and methodologically unbiased way.

79. Scott says:

If we’re giving out a trophy for the worst coach in the league exempting Tony Granato should never happen.

Did MacT make mistakes? Yes he did. Will I be upset if he’s fired? No. But I also don’t think that the Oilers wildly underachieved. My expectation was for them to be floating around the bubble. Lo and behold, they were floating around the bubble. How many more points would this team need to have earned in order to achieve a “met expectations.” My range before the season would have been 87 to 93 so they missed by two points. Is that enough that the coach needs to get fired. I’m not so sure.

80. Showerhead says:

I think the damning phrase is actually “MacTavish can’t coach simple!”

I wonder about this as well.

Not saying we can prove you’re right but your post is really well thought out. You can’t help but wonder if, when presented with player X with 3-4 holes in his game, it wouldn’t be better just to focus on them 1 at a time. No inexperienced player and no less-than-cerebral veteran is going to be able to change multiple dynamics of his game with too much success in the short term.

Definitely an idea worth some study/looking into IMO.

81. DBO says:

Woodguy: agreed that makes us better. i’m not saying we don’t make moves, regardless of who the coach happenes to be. personally i’d like to see Dubinsky, Clowe/Armstrong, a Zanon type dman and Josh Harding in net. Along with Gagne from Philly. I posted this a few days ago, but we can do all of them (and actually realistic in what we give up)and still fit it under the cap.

82. jon k says:

LT, a guy you pegged as a player of interest for last draft, Colby Robak, is having a spectacular finish to his season.

So far in the playoffs he has:

8 5 6 11 +19

The WheatKings are doing well but that +19 really stands out.

At 6’3″ and 207 he’s also got NHL size. Looks like a steal for Florida in the mid second round.

83. shepso says:

just throwing something out here… worlds could be giving us a preview of our goaltending tandem for next season, as Josh Harding will be Roli’s “backup.” Let’s sit back and see what this kid can do on the world stage. Should be interesting.

84. DBO says:

Team 1260 they are talking about Josh harding vs. Roloson. A note on Rollie. his best possible year going forward is a duplicate of this past year (.915 save, 2.77 ga). Harding is a huge upgrade, who should average about Rollie’s best going forward, with the potential to better those numbers. this team needs to move forward, and step one is getting a young blue chip goalie. go get Harding right now. Do it. Do it.

85. Dennis says:

I’m pretty much out of the loop until Wed so I’m not sure if I’m gonna be able to listen to the archived clip to make up my own mind.

Even without that access, I say you gotta change the coach or you have to change the direction of the team.

All that being said, I’d feel much better about knowing what to expect if I could get explanations on things like why 27 was getting the whip, why 13 was allowed to lose numerous faceoffs and why the PK approach was laid out in such a manner.

86. DBO says:

MacT team for next year
    - re-sign Rollie to 1 ($2.5 m)
    - Nilsson and JDD for Harding (sign him for $1.5 m)
    - Sign Manny Malhotra ($1.5 m)
    - Smid and Cogliano and prospect for Gagne from Philly
    - Sign Zanon ($1.25 m)
    - Deal Penner and Pou for anything.
    - Sign Clowe to offer sheet ($2.5 m)
    - re-sign Greb ($3 m)
    team lineup

Gagne – Horcoff – Hemsky
    Clowe – Gagner – O’Sullivan
    Moreau – Malhotra – Pisani
    Jacques – Brodziak – Stortini

Souray – Gilbert
    Vish – Grebeshkov
    Staios – Zanon
    Peckham

Rollie
    Harding

Cap hit: $55 million.

Would love to dump Moreau and Staios and replace them with Moen and Zanon for half the price and play Peckham a regular shift with Strudwick as the 7th dman. But that will not happen

87. kris says:

Yeah Dennis,

That news conference was a debacle and it wasn’t MacT’s fault.

Our ersatz-journalists couldn’t ask a decent question yet again. I mean, did they actually think MacT was going to talk about Penner in any serious way?

Don’t get me wrong, I wasn’t expecting them to “go after” the coach; he might be on the way out, after all. But they didn’t even ask anything interesting. That is, it’s like the guys asking the questions could care less about -or knew nothing about- what actually happened to the team. Bizzare.

Did they think of questions before they got to the rink? Or do they just wing it.

Why not, “So, the PK, what happened there? Did you need a Reasoner? And if so, did you ask brass to bring in a Reasoner-type player? Would that have changed your season, because the team did fairly well at ES.”

Or how about, “Why not Brodziak on the third line? Even if you had your doubts, no one else was having success there, why not try him there for a period?”

Maybe, “You shuffled the lines in unorthodox ways at the beginning of the season. You even put Pisani at center. Did that hurt the team early? And what caused Cole to fail on Horcoff-Hemsky’s left side.”

Or even “Tell us more about these motivation problems, no need to single out players, but what happened? Was their a rift? Does this signal a need for new leaders or more leadership in the dressing room or are the dressing room leaders not accountable for these things at all.”

“Can Staois and Moreau lead off the ice, when they aren’t -in terms of controlling the game- on ice leaders? Is Staios a top 4 guy going forward?”

“How good is Hemsky? Can he score 35-50 or get 85-100 points with the right linemates? What’s holding him back?”

I thought of these questions in five minutes. Of course, I’m no journalist.

88. kris says:

My favorite question from the presser:

“Are you happy, MacT? Do you love coaching?”

Was that Brownlee or Gregor?

Brilliant.

89. Mr DeBakey says:

“Of course, I’m no journalist.”

No access either
    Sest la vye, Amigo.

90. kris says:

“Are you happy, MacT? Do you love coaching?”Gotta be a set up question for someone who expects MacT to resign later this week.

“So, you still like coaching, just not this team right?”

Kris: Please submit those questions to some of the hacks who write for the local fishwraps. If they read enough of them, they might ask them at the next presser.

92. Ribs says:

I really wish the harping on journalists would quiet down around here. It’s been getting pretty disgusting lately.

A lot of these guys do read the blogs and even chirp in sometimes and I would hate to see them scared off because of some crude remarks. If you’re looking for more access to the team, it pays to play nice with the people who have it.

93. Icecastles says:

kris said… Intelligence without access is blind. Access without intelligence is Dan Tencer.Quote of the night. I love it.

Ribs – I have a feeling you’re being sarcastic, but you may not be. The sports media in Edmonton needs to be held accountable. They are professionals and I’m sure they are mature enough to hear themselves made fun of from time to time. But they need to know that their readers expect more from them. I think this season can be the catalyst for a lot of things to change in this town and media complacency is one of them.

94. Icecastles says:

Woodguy said… God knows 4 out of 5 of them is too concerned with their relationship to the team to ask more pointed questions.So, so true.

The integrity of mainstream media began to die when this realization was reached. The success of a journalist has become tied to a reporter’s ability to land a big interview with a big name. And they know (or at least believe) that if they want to get those big interviews, they had better “play nice” and lob softies at their interviewees. That’s why when public figures are in hot water, they interview with people like Larry King and Barbera Walters – they know that they will be cast in a good light and let off easily.

And when an entire press corps becomes complacent and is more concerned about, as woodguy put it, “being too concerned with their relationship to the team to ask more pointed questions,” then the media isn’t just doing a poor job – they have abandoned their post entirely.

When we talk about a lack of accountability on this team over the years, we have to look to the media and ask ourselves what their role is in this, and if they have fulfilled it. They have a lot to answer to in this city.

95. Rod says:

To me, as ticked as I was at the media for 100% softballs (notice how quickly Bryan Hall jumps in to save MacT from explaining further about Penner), that pales in comparison to how MacTavish totally blamed the players. The most telling quote:
    “We did the best we could and you can’t ask for anything more than that.” (in reference to the coaching staff)

Can’t ask for anything more? Seriously? The questionable decisions this year skyrocketed over previous years. The coach personally attacking a specific player…but you can’t ask for anything more of this staff. Is it any wonder Moreau’s quotes seldom (if ever) include an element of self-improvement? For 18, it’s always that the “so-called” skill guys didn’t score, or the PP let them down (never mind a woeful PK, because of course, 18′s on the PK).

If it really is true that we can’t ask for more of the coaching staff, they all need to go. Convenient that lines up with my thoughts on how to proceed, but with that quote from MacTavish, there really is no other choice for management.