Oilers pick 10th

This is Scott Glennie. He’s a guy I like and Bob McKenzie has him rated at #11 in his early list.

The lottery went moments ago and Edmonton will pick 10th overall (unless they make a trade). Islanders won the lottery and the top 5 (in order) at this point is NYI, Tampa Bay, Colorado, Atlanta, Los Angeles.

77 Responses to "Oilers pick 10th"

1. gogliano says:

Well good to see Tavares or Hedman aren’t COL or LA property (barring a trade), even if it would be nice to see them play a little more.

2. Alex says:

This would be a good draft to move up in. Very deep.

LT, you mentioned earlier that you think our small forwards group will be reduced come this fall. Is it possible the Oilers would package say, the 10th overall pick and Andrew Cogliano to try and move up? If such a deal is possible, where do you guys think that would leave us in the pecking order?

I might be in favour of it. We’d lose a small forward (though we wouldn’t immediately replace him). We wouldn’t have to worry about Cogliano’s extension as cap troubles loom and we might get an excellent pick out of it.

Alex: I would expect Cogliano and the 10th OV pick would get you into the top 5, but that’s me guessing. Usually, these things go something like “Edmonton trades their 2009 2nd rd pick and the 10th overall pick for the 8th overall pick” or some such, so giving up a terrific young talent who is signed moving forward would be good bait.

Doubt the Oilers do it, though. Cogliano was an excellent selection and imo would be one of two “hands off” players among the small F’s.

4. Jonathan Willis says:

LT: Eventually they need to chose between Gagner and Cogliano, unless Cogliano can play wing. Do you agree?

Jonathan: No. I think the Oilers can keep both of them IF Cogliano develops as a more complete two-way player (Butch Goring type).

I don’t think they should deal him until they know what they have unless he’s part of a package that really gets this team to another level.

By that I mean Cogliano and Souray for something special.

6. bookie says:

I would not trade Cogliano unless I was really really sure of getting a solid return.

I think that the draft should be entirely random for the teams that do not make the playoffs. Once you are out of the playoffs there is an incentive to lose and little incentive to win, that is a stupid system.

7. jon k says:

I don’t think there is much of a future for Cogliano at centre in the NHL. Listening to players like Stoll and Horcoff talk about faceoffs, a recurring theme is that players have to start from a good base, usually strength or hand-eye coordination. They usually agree that from there you work on your technique which accounts for most of the improvement year over year after a player’s strength is intact.

I think at this point if we accept the assertion that players can only improve so much upon their base we have to conclude that Cogliano’s faceoff ability is never going to be acceptable at the NHL level.

I agree with JW that we either convert Cogliano to wing where his speed lends to a natural conversion or we ship him out if he can’t be converted.

As it stands now I’m also a believer that there is not enough size in the top 6. Hemsky and Horcoff are both in the average category (barely) and then 3 of the remaining 4 are substantially below average.

Shipping two players out of three is a like scenario in the next season or two anyway. Might as well try to gauge interest in the players now and strike when their value is high. Unfortunately that window is likely gone for Nilsson.

jonk: There are actually 4: Gagner, Cogliano, Nilsson and O’Sullivan.

9. Matt says:

This would be a good draft to move up in. Very deep. IMHO this is a draft to move down in. I think that there is very good value picks in the mid to late teens and picks are a bit over valued because of the depth.

If I am running the table I move down to 15-20 in exchange for a 2nd and 3rd or next years first. Then take either Kassian or Ashton with the pick. Throw in SugarTits just to send him on his way.

10. jon k says:

LT: Right. Forgot about O’Sullivan. I commented in an earlier post that I think we keep him because of his ability to fill (at least partially) several roles on the team.

11. PDO says:

Lets pretend the Souray request is true, and he wants to be with his kids.

Anaheim, Phoenix, LA and SJS.

And I can’t see Anaheim being interested, nor us being interested in going down THAT road again.

Phoenix picks 6th, LA 5th. If we could get either of those picks in a Souray trade…

How much does the 10th and 5th move you up?

12. BadSeed says:

I'd say if you got 5 & 10, you take Svennson & Kulikov & you'd be very happy.

13. Scott says:

I don’t think anyone sensible will trade away the first or second pick for fifth and tenth so it probably isn’t worth it to move up. Better to target two players and try to use your other picks to move up and down 3rd through 10th to get them. I also can’t see any reason for a team that’s rebuilding like Phoenix or L.A. to move the pick for an older player in the first place, so it’s pretty well a non-starter.

I agree with those that think Cogliano will need to move to the wing but I’m certainly in no hurry to move him along. Next year both he and Gagner will be cheap so there shouldn’t be any urgency to move either of him. I think one of Nilsson or O’Sullivan will need to be moved because neither of them is suitable as an ideal 1LW and they’re both too expensive for 3L duty.

14. bookie says:

The Role of a Center is Sooo much more than faceoffs. It requires a lot of speed and good ‘sense’. Are there no cases in the NHL where one of the wingers normally takes faceoffs, with the center playing the center role for everything but the faceoff. I imagine a situation where someone like Penner is on the wing with Cogs. Penner is better at faceoffs, but too slow to be an NHL center.

I am not really that ‘up’ on the rest of the NHL, but there must be quite a few situations where that has happened. Otherwise it would seem that guys who would make great centers are removed from the position due to face off skills and that good faceoff men sit on the wings without taking advantage of that skill.

15. jon k says:

PDO: The only teams that make sense in Cali are the Sharks and the Ducks.

The Kings are still rebuilding and their owner is running the team dirt cheap. Phoenix, well, I doubt they’re taking on any salary right now either.

Between the Sharks and Ducks it only makes sense for the Sharks to trade. The Ducks are going through a mini-rebuild and they quite frankly don’t have anything worthwhile.

The Sharks have lots of young forward talent with size and are a team in their winning window. Blake is on the verge of retiring and he’s a very similar skillset and pricetag (5.0 million) to Souray.

I think if we send Souray to the West US it’s San Jose for him with something like a 2nd and one of their young forwards back to us (Michalek, Pavelski, Setoguchi).

Pavelski is probably the one we’d be most interested in and SJ would be remotely willing to part with. He’s decent on faceoffs and leads the Sharks in shots. Although since O’Sullivan was acquired Pavelski might be a bit redundant.

All of this is based on a personal assumption that we won’t see Souray going out for a top 10 pick. There’s two reasons in my mind:

1) With the trend of high picks making the jump right to the NHL I think most teams are loathe to part with the picks. They’d rather roll the dice and see if the pick is ready to contribute right away or only a season from now.

2) The value of picks in the top 10 seem to be exorbitant if the trades from the last two drafts are indicators. I doubt teams would move a top 10 pick for Souray merely on value alone.

16. Bohologo says:

1992-Andrei Nazarov
    1991-Martin Lapointe
    1990-Drake Berehowsky
    1989-Bobby Holik
    1988-Teemu Selanne

17. jon k says:

Last time I’ll stop by today, I promise.

Bohologo:

Tyler Dellow (I think) did a nice analysis a few years back about likelihood of picking NHL players in the first round.

As I recall there tended to be a fairly significant demarcation of margins between 1-4, 5-11, and then 11-20.

Anyway, we’re definitely outside of the “impact player” window but I think it depends upon the quality of the draft.

I’ve heard that this draft is a good one, but does anyone know how good? 2003 good? Not sure, so if anyone has heard anything by all means let us know.

If we look at 2003 Kostitsyn went at 10th, but I think that Montreal might want a do-over if they could go back. Dustin Brown went at 13th and Jeff Carter went at 11th.

If it’s a deep draft like some are saying we could still get an impact NHLer at 10th. With the Prendergast regime’s drafting record I feel somewhat confident in saying that the team will do a good job identifying those players who are left. Let’s just hope Tambellini doesn’t muck it up by looking for size above talent.

18. doritogrande says:

Past performance is no indicator of future performance, of course, but this list suggests the #10 pick will likely be a useful NHLer, with virtually no chance of picking a franchise player.I see two, actually. They’re the bookends.

If we’re picking at 10 I find it hard to see the difference between Kadri and Glennie. They’re both similar offensive talents, similar size, and both come from teams where issues about stat-boosting teammates abound.

The more I look, the more I like Kulikov if he’s available at 10. I also like the suggestion to trade down a couple spots to a spot where Kassian is being projected. If we can pick up another useful prospect or perhaps put together some type of bigger trade (swap of firsts for a swap of prospects) I could see the upside in that also.

And to those who are suggesting you deal Cogliano for the sake of change…When did you become fans of the Toronto Maple Leafs personnel tactics? You do not give up on first rounders after two years of professional hockey. Shit like that bites you in the ass. For further information, see the stories of Brad Boyes, Tuukka Rask and (soon to be) Alex Steen.

19. oilerdago says:

jon k: Just listened to Stauffer (who seems pretty connected w/the org). On Souray, he has absolutely no idea what’s been said but he too found it interesting that he did not make himself available to the media yesterday (although he does point out he was meeting w/Tambellini at the time the rest were with the media).

Would it be too farfetched that Souray has gone to the org and given them options/ultimatums to try and solve the problem or he’s gone?

Seriously, with his contract, I think it’s going to be very hard to get a Calif team (or Phoenix) to take his salary if being with his kids is what counts.

ANA has cap issues, LA is not taking on big contracts and he does not fit the SJ mold – although IF Blake retires, maybe he could fit, but we won’t know that for a couple months.

Given that the chances for a trade to the coast could be slim, I think the leader he is has told them exactly what he thinks needs to be done with the team.

And with that in mind, that’s got to be shaping (I would think) the destiny of the coach, and the future of the some of the other players with the team.

It would not surprise me to hear that while he respects MacT and thinks he needed to do things to motivate players, that he felt he went to far over the top with the way he called out player after player this season. And I’m sure he is very frustrated by the season and the things that happened in the locker room – the schism between the younger and vetran players that the coach helped contribute to.

The more I read/hear, the more dysfunctional this locker room is and I don’t know that it’s going to be that easy for Tambellini to solve – but THAT is the first order of business this summer (after you re-sign Grebs).

20. Coach pb9617 says:

Given all that we know now, is it possible that the troubled vet really was Ales Hemsky?

slipper said…

I get told to shoot, so I shoot. I get told I should score more so I go and score more. I go end to end to score more. I am point per game palyer and I get a fat guy to skate with. He tell me he grew up in Manitoba wearing burlap dresses and can’t give me blood transfusion if I needed one; I get stabbed in the neck with broken bottle once, this serious consideration to me. I score. I pass but that two coloured eyed witch just flubs puck. I get hit but nobody does fuck all for me, no matter that I score and they don’t score.

My name is Ales Hemsky. I am rat.…Or was it Souray?

21. B.C.B. says:

Scott said “I don’t think anyone sensible will trade away the first or second pick for fifth and tenth so it probably isn’t worth it to move up.”

- but the Islanders and Tampa are not known to be too sensible these days so something could happen

22. dstaples says:

Scott Glennie. Any relation to Brian?

@Oilerdago. Stauffer not only has good connections within organization, he’s in the organization, is he not? He was hired by Katz/Lowe.

Rumour has it Souray might be open to other big American cities than just California, though San Jose makes sense, especially if they get bumped before division final, and Boyle/Blake don’t look so good.The playoffs will tell us which teams might be more open to buying high.

23. rickibear says:

//jonk: There are actually 4: Gagner, Cogliano, Nilsson and O’Sullivan.// (until the Italic are fixed)

From one of the postes deleted lasy night.

Only one small forward per line.

24. Icecastles says:

Interesting bit of trivia: interview on NHL.com with Tavares in which he says he favourite players growing up were Mario Lemieux, Mike Modano and… Patrick O’Sullivan.

25. Coach pb9617 says:

right click on the matrix and paste:

3968,2176,3968,127032,68,127162,65916,32126,21884,17594,68,127032,20480,113536,2688,3712

26. DBO says:

The Souray comment was about how Souray mentioned it was a hard year being away from his kids. Not that he demanded to be dealt. With a no movement clause he’ll only go to california, so i expect if we move him it’ll be a decent deal since the team isn’t under a pronger type ultimatum.

As for drafting 10th: take the best player available, do not draft for need. You never know what your team will look like in 3 years when that pick hits the majors. We passed on Parise for Pouliot when we drafted for need not best available. Same with Steve Kelly instead of Shane Doan. In the first round you draft best player available regradless of position or size.

27. Coach pb9617 says:

as for Cogliano. i get not wanting to deal him, but if you could get a former first rounder back who is also really good, and with potential but who fits our needs better why would you not make that deal? Dubinsky vs Cogliano is a toss up as for future potential. NY does that deal beacuse they lack speed players with scoring instincts, and are under cap pressure, so the $2.5 mill they’ll have to shell out for Dubinsky will hurt and they have a glut of centres and since they have a bunch of RFA’s. We do the deal since we get that bigger, more physical young centre that can win a faceoff while still being skilled enough to be a top 6 player when and if Horcoff falters.Cogliano for Armstrong *crosses fingers*

28. Icecastles says:

That tone matrix is great coach, but it doesn’t seem to want to let me paste any values into it.

29. hunter1909 says:

It must be draft lottery time. OIlers fans are debating what middling draft choice is the best one to “move forward” with.

On playing center: I never could play that position, took too much skill heart and guts. So much simpler to glide up and down the (in my case left) wing.

But if Oilers are serious about raping anyone, it’s got to be the Bolts. Cogliano and Nilsson and Moreau for Stamkos.

30. Chris says:

If we’re downsizing on the Mighty Mites, I tend to think Nilson is the first one out the door. Gagner and Cogliano have shown to much to be shoved out the door. You’d have a heck of a time justifying moving them too after selling them “as the future”. O’Sullivan is a guy we just traded for and he brings some useful things to the table like a willingness to shoot the puck and an ability to kill penalties. It seemed to take him a while to get things going. I would have liked to have seen if Omark could have forced his way onto the roster but sounds like that’s not a happening thing.

31. PunjabiOil says:

I think we should draft Jordon
    Schroeder, if he’s available at the draft. BPA

Keep in his college for two years or so, and you buy yourself time to assess whether a guy like Cogliano should be kept around or whether he can be moved to address team needs.

You just don’t want another Parise situation again. Parise was pushing a 100 point season this year, with 45 goals and 49 assists.

32. Bruce says:

//the top 5 (in order) at this point is NYI, Tampa Bay, Colorado, Atlanta, Los Angeles.//

What pisses me off is how neither the Cup nor the high draft picks ever wind up in Canada.

Reminds me of these two guys in my keeper league hockey pool, we call them the Evil Twins cuz it seems like every year one of them is winning first place and the other is finishing last and getting first pick. As for the rest of us, our elevators don’t go all the way to the top … we keep competing in the mediocre middle. So it is with the Canadian clubs in the NHL.

33. Icecastles says:

Coach – I went to the source code and got the entire string of numbers (it’s missing on the post for some reason. the code on these posts is really messed up right now). Nice work!!

34. Jon says:

All this talk about Souray wanting to be near beautiful California had me thinking…

Phoenix may want to capitalize on the Schenn/Glennie combo.

To EDM: Phoenix 21st pick, Doan, 2nd, something else here I’m not really good at these.

To PHX: Souray, 10 pick

Edm trades Souray and get’s the size up front Tambellini wants for an affordable price. 4.5m for 3 more years

PHX gets the Schenn Glennie combo and has a legit top 6 d men

Souray-Jovo
    Yandle- Sauer
    Michalek- Hale

I think PHX would have to sweeten the pot a bit but would you be willing to trade down in order to get Doan?

35. DBO says:

Jon: i’d definitely take doan, but if phoenix is wanting two top end draft picks I’m not sure they would want to take on a vet like Souray. They do have the cap space, but not sure if their fans (all 100 of them) could handle another rebuild. gretzky might shoot himself.

36. Scott says:

Dubinsky is an interesting player. He’s managed 40 points in his last two NHL seasons yet his junior and AHL numbers don’t really project him as an offensive player except for his draft year. He may break the mold of course but I would be more comfortable moving forward with Cogliano. The other thing that gets used in arguments all the time is worrying about Cogliano’s next contract which has already arrived for Dubinsky. If someone is worried about needing to pay Cogs in a cap world I don’t understand how flipping him for 2.5M on a mid-term deal is helpful.

As for the draft, assuming it’s hopeless to move up to one of the top two picks, I would be excited to move up for either Duchene or Paajarvi. Otherwise, I’m really not sure who I would want the Oilers to target at 10. I’m quite sympathetic to the argument that big scoring forwards don’t become available on the free market often which leads me to think that they should work for something around Kassian but if they just go with the guy who they think is the BPA at 10, I’m fine with that too.

37. kanadienkyle says:

I have spent the last few days at the U-18′s and Fargo, and will post a brief run down on the potential first rounders as soon as I get to work. He might be a stretch at 10, but Klingfelt is the real deal. Big and mean.

38. quain says:

Jon, I like this trade better:

To PHX: Souray
    To EDM: 21st pick, a time machine to go back three years and sign Ryan Smyth to Doan’s contract.

It’s perfect!

39. Traktor says:

Looking forward to it Kyle.

I watched the Canada/Sweden game last night so it would be interesting if our thoughts mesh.

40. NBOilerFan says:

Two things:

1) Can someone point me to where these Souray and Hemsky rumors about potentially wanting out are coming from?

2) I don’t know much about the draft or prospects, but I watched the draft lottery last night and I believe they said on TSN that the past 3 years now (perhaps longer) the lottery ended up the same order as the finishing order of the season. I understand that they weigh the odds but doesn’t this seem like a farce lottery due to these historical results? How does this deter teams from tanking to try to end up last in the league? Seems to me that you are pretty much guaranteed the #1 overall pick.

41. doritogrande says:

I’m quite sympathetic to the argument that big scoring forwards don’t become available on the free market often which leads me to think that they should work for something around Kassian but if they just go with the guy who they think is the BPA at 10, I’m fine with that too.If you’re big scoring forward was the BPA, he’d be higher. There’s a reason he’s slotted around the 15-hole. Kassian may be something the organization desperately needs, but he currently doesn’t fit the projection of a top-10 pick.

I’d take Kulikov in a heartbeat.

Also, I don’t get why everyone is up in arms over next year’s contract status of Cogliano and Gagner. They haven’t exactly proven themselves elite talents and as such, do not yet need to be contracted like they are. Both are probably deserving of some bit of a raise, but I think anything over the Nilsson contract for Cogliano and probably the Lupul contract we gave out for Gagner are overpays for the type of production we’re getting. If they don’t like those, tough shit, they’re RFA.

42. DBO says:

NBOilerFan: the Souray comments came from Team 1260, bob Stauffer, as well as the Journal’s Dan barnes and Oiler’s nation’s Robin Brownlee, who said that Souray really missed his kids this year and that it was a really hard year because of it. He didn’t say he wanted to be traded, but the speculation is that he may have quietly asked to be dealt closer to his family and that is why he didn’t stick arund for questions after the season had ended. No one is saying he’s demanded a trade, just that he would be much happier closer to his kids. Of course this being Edmonton it will be blown out of porportion and we’ll have to hold seminars on why no one likes us.

as for hemsky, no one has quoted him asking, but many of the reporters in town have mentioned that he was unhappy with how he was used this year and that makes them think he wants out. MacT going away probably quiets that rumour for the summer anyways.

43. quain says:

I’ve always been a fan of expanding and evening the draft a bit. Every non-playoff team gets the same weighting for each pick, or maybe it works in thirds, where teams finishing 1-10 all have the same chance of first, 11-20 all have the same chance of 11th, etc. Hell, you could weight it based on who got the top picks previously, if you wanted.

It just seems stupid to me that there comes a time when the correct course of action for a franchise is to sell everyone and lose. The Islanders get a superstar for being completely inept, the Oilers get a second liner in four years, maybe, for being only partly inept.

44. DBO says:

doritogrande: agreed about the Cogs and gagner deals after the year. I just think that Dubinsky is as good a prospect as Cogliano and fits a need today very well. It adds everything we’re lacking in one sideways move, and doesn’t kill our cap to do it.

45. doritogrande says:

NBOilerFan:

The system isn’t perfect, but would you prefer that farce of a draft we had in 2005 again? As it stands, I’m happy the Islanders won the first pick. A storied franchise fallen on hard times due to mismanagement finally has the prospects to turn it around. When they add Tavares and preferrably a defenseman with the Sharks first rounder, they’ll be able to fast-track their re-emergence on the playoff scene.

I would have been more upset if a team like Tampa or Atlanta was awarded the first overall pick. Tampa because of their tight-wallet behaviour, and Atlanta because they’ve mismanaged their way out of my favour. Braydon Coburn for Alexei Zhitnik? Comeon!

46. Traktor says:

“There’s a reason he’s slotted around the 15-hole. Kassian may be something the organization desperately needs, but he currently doesn’t fit the projection of a top-10 pick.”

He projects to be a top-10 asset.

Don’t target the BPA. Target the BAA.

A legit enforcer that can put up 25+25 is an extremely valuable asset.

47. Dennis says:

LT: I also thought of a 13/44 trade combo last night and then I read it today from you as well so it must be a good idea if both of us like it!:D

I think you could move him to LA if Lombardi feels the time is now and he’s thinking of adding a vet to help us young D and if he thinks that the additions of Souray-Cogliano and a full season of Willaims could get them winning a playoff round.

I suggest the Oilers demanded frolov in return and then settle on Hickey or Teubert, sp, to round out that package.

Regarding the Oilers possible selection at 10, I’m surprised that no one’s mention the two or three names that Matheson threw out in the past couple of days.

48. Dennis says:

I forgot to add a couple of things:

- you had those comments about there possibly being a changed needed earlier in the year and perhaps it came from one of 18-44-83.

- we know that later on 83 questioned the way he was used.

- today i read where 18 said that talk of expectations should be kept in-house. Now, fuck, if that’s not a dig at MacT”s division winner speculation in camp, I don’t know what it is.

In closing, there seems to be a helluva lot of problems between coach and players and this seems to be a helluva mess.

But every day we Don’t hear from macT about his resigniation, the more likely it becomes that he’s coming back for 2010.

49. doritogrande says:

Don’t target the BPA. Target the BAA.

A legit enforcer that can put up 25+25 is an extremely valuable asset.You mean the one hovering at the bottom of the pack on his team’s +/-? That valuable asset?

5th worst on his team (http://hockeydb.com/ihdb/stats/leagues/seasons/teams/0008062009.html). That’s probably the reason he’s rated as 15 instead of higher. Kid can’t keep his head above the water at the Junior level.

50. knighttown says:

I’d rather there be zero incentive for teams to tank than to continue punishing teams that try, but miss the mark.This is a great post Quain. Not only do the good teams like Detroit “give” the crap teams like Atlanta the best prospects every year, they pay huge amounts of money to them in the way of revenue sharing.

Someone posted the other day that the lottery should be the exact opposite of the way it is with the best non-playoff team having the best odds of the first overall pick.

The fact that the media and even GM’s are discussing tanking as a desirable option for teams disgusts me.

The NYI season:
    -Hire rookie coach
    -Have team of no names that could not win the Calder Cup.
    -Bring in a few overpaid players (Comrie, Weight, Guerin) to improve optics and get to salary cap floor.
    -trade any serviceable players (Comrie, Campoli, Guerin) for assets so you suck even more.
    -Most importantly, lose starting goalie and not even bother picking up one of the 20 cheap, capable NHL replacements.
    -Cash multi million dollar revenue sharing check
    -Pick John Tavares

Florida Panther season:
    -forced to trade Jokinen and win the trade by bringing back Boynton and Ballard
    -sign McCabe and make some other hockey trades
    -sign best coach in junior hockey
    -overachieve all season and go for it by keeping Bouwmeester at deadline.
    -miss playoffs by a hair and draft Joe Schmoahawk

That, my friends is not only unfair, but dangerous because they’ll learn next time.

51. Traktor says:

Dorito:

Look at the top 6 point producers for Peterborough.

Tony Romano 69 points -16
    Zack Kassian 63 points -14
    Ryan Spooner 58 points -23
    Pat Daley 57 points -14
    Brett Theberge 42 points -10
    Jamie Doornbosch 37 points -24

“Kid can’t keep his head above the water at the Junior level.”

Or he could be playing heavy minutes for a mediocre team. See Horcoff in 2006/2007. (-22)

52. Traktor says:

Here’s a good read on Kassian.

53. Quinn says:

Dennis,

I am an idiot who has not put following all possible threads to do with the Oil as top priority over the rest of my life lately;)

What did Matheson say or can you tell me where to find it?

BTW, I like Kulikov, as a possibility of being available and the BPA for the Oil where they pick.

54. Smarmy Boss says:

I don’t think Phoenix will be taking Souray. If Souray is a bit old for the Oilers competing cycle then he’s ancient for Phoenix.

Scott Glennie is a good player but part of me worries about taking him as I believe its Schenn that makes that line work.

55. doritogrande says:

@ Knighttown:

There are some good points being made there, but you’re also off-base on a couple of your accusations.

Firstly, Scott Gordon is by no means an incapable coach, as his two AHL division titles will attest to. He’s a rookie by NHL standards, but everyone has to start somewhere.

Secondly, the Islanders talent pool is pretty bare, and I’m sure you’ll agree with me there. They did the best they could with what they had to work with. That they brought in the likes of Comrie and Guerin at least showed they wanted to go into the season with a shot at being competitive. When the season eventually played out, they should not be penalized for dealing off talented players who don’t fit into the core age of the group like Guerin, Comrie and Campoli. They’re building around Okposo, Bailey and now Tavares. Building around a great trio of prospects very similar to the one developing in Chicago if I may connect my own dots.

On the goaltending scenario, you forget that they attempted to bring back a very capable Wade Dublewicz only to be kiboshed by the moronic waiver rule. Once DiPietro went down for the season, they made attmpts to stay competitive but were screwed out by Columbus IIRC.

Now, compare that to Florida. They made the decision to trade off assets in the summer instead of at the trade deadline. They traded for McCabe, not signed him and gave up a very good Mike Van Ryn in the process. They held on to Bouwmeester in one of the most bone-headed moves in recent memory, as evidence suggests they could have landed Phil Kessel, Matt Hunwick and a first rounder. And now they owe half of Florida free tickets to games next season.

I know which strategy I’d employ if I was a GM.

56. quain says:

57. Traktor says:

Steve Tambellini PC at noon.

58. doritogrande says:

Why are Souray’s kids living in California? That is rather baffling to me considering he played in the Eastern Conference.Mommy doesn’t like the cold of, well probably anywhere that isn’t Cali.

@ Traktor:

Compare the results of Nazem Kadri, Dmitri Kulikov and Simon Despres to the likes of Kassian. Two of the three did play on good hockey clubs but they’re world-beaters at +/-. And Despres lead a mediocre team in +/-.

There are better options out there than your “enforcer”. And this is coming from a person that initially really, really liked Kassian because of his size.

59. doritogrande says:

Off the top of my head, he was married to an actress, had kids, and got divorced. So, my guess is that the kids live with mommy in California.Angelica Bridges. Disgustingly hot Ex-Baywatch star and 2001 Playboy centerfold. And I think they’ve recently re-signed to a long term contract extension.

60. quain says:

I know which strategy I’d employ if I was a GM.

Regardless of which process was more boneheaded, it just doesn’t make sense to me that the Islanders deserve the first overall pick any more than Florida does.

There’s some competitive balance issues that need to be addressed so you avoid a team killing themselves and never recovering, but this system seems to punish mediocre teams and reward teams that actively kill their seasons to a point that just doesn’t seem right.

61. Traktor says:

+/- means nothing to me to be honest.

If nobody puts stock into at the NHL level then why would you make conclusions based on +/- at the junior level?

The fact that all 6 top point producers on the Petes range from -10 to -24 is more than telling.

Interesting that you mention Despres and Kadri though. I want no part of either. I thought Despres looked horrible against Sweden last night and Kadri has bust written all over him.

Kulikov looks to be a keeper though.

62. quain says:

Kassian was -14 on a team that had a -56 GD. It’s hard to kill him for that.

63. Quinn says:

Traktor,

Not that you have to put too much faith in them, but the looks I took (admittedly briefly) had Kassian as a much lower than 15th pick earlier in the season and not much better later on. I don’t think he fits BPA or even best player for the Oil in the availability.

My preference is someone like Kulikov, and if the team needed to trade up to get him, then it might make sense to use Nilsson, Souray, any of the prospects on the farm, etc. to move up a space or two to ensure we take him.

But, and this is a Queen Latifah but, I would need to look at some better analysis of these guys (say spots 7-20) to make up my mind.

64. Traktor says:

Quinn:

I’d like Kassian but I’m not hellbent at taking him at 10 either.

Kulikov would be nice but I don’t know if I would trade up to secure him. I really liked what I seen from Ekman-Larsson against Canada last night and one of the two should be available without losing assets.

At the same time if the brass liked him enough move assets to lock him in I wouldn’t have a problem with it.

65. NBOilerFan says:

@ DBO

A big thank you for summarizing the Souray and Hemsky rumour sources, I’ve locating then as we speak. Very Appreciated.

@ Doritogrande

My comments were not reflective of not being happy of who received the first round pick this season, I too am happy the Isles got it for much the same reasons as you. My comments were more in line with what Quain said…

I’d rather there be zero incentive for teams to tank than to continue punishing teams that try, but miss the mark.I have always liked the idea and general concept of the draft lottery, but if the results consistently remain no different then the standings at season end, the lottery system is therefore a farse, in my eyes.

Perhaps the format for weighing the odds should be revisited. Otherwise, I just don’t see the preventative measure to stop teams from intentionally tanking, which was the whole purpose for teh conception of the “lottery”, was it not?

66. Alice says:

Coach,

that matrix is fun,
    my ear guesses 5 steps being just slightly less than an octave, is that correct? Unfortunately that makes it tough to do, like Smoke on the Water or something ! Not that I’d be trying to do that at Work or anything….

67. NBOilerFan says:

@ Knighttown

You followed up a very good post by Quain… with an equally good post.

Regardless or not if all your ‘facts” are accurate, the point was well made

@ Traktor

Thanks for the heads-up on the upcoming presser!

68. NBOilerFan says:

PS – My money is on Tambs stating that MacT is staying…. which is not want I care to hear, just what I expect to hear.

69. jeremy says:

Kulikov plays on a stacked team. As far as offensive defencemen go, I’d take a look at Calvin De Haan. He got points on 30% of Oshawa’s goals – Kulikov was in on 22% of Drummondville’s goals, pro-rated to account for his time in the WJC. De Haan is also younger.

By the way, LT, I’ve never posted before, but your blog is fantastic! I read it every day, and I’m not even an Oilers fan.

70. R says:

Jon, I like this trade better:

To PHX: Souray

It’s perfect!If I had a time machine, I’d just go back and pick Doan over Kelly.

71. NBOilerFan says:

I just lost my money!

;-)

72. kanadienkyle says:

Draft Eligible Players I have seen this week (mostly first rounders):

Canada-
    Landon Ferraro- Only saw him in the Germany game. Excellent hands and good awareness. Smart with the puck and meshed well with McFarland.

Zack Kassian- You can tell he is very strong and possesses hands. However, if you dont like Penner, he might not be your guy. Didn’t show much in the Germany game and was decent for stretches against Sweden, but could also disappear for a few shifts. Might just need a kick in the butt.

Simon Depres- Smooth skater who distributes the puck well. Would have liked to see a little more physicality from him.

Stefan Elliott- I thought he was bigger, but a good defender all the same. Looks comfortable on the PP and appears calm under pressure.

Dylan Olsen- Meh. I understand he is a big hitter, but didnt see this displayed. Moves the puck well on the PP but lacks imagination. Passed it back and forth with his partner for what seemed like an eternity. Good shot.

John McFarland- I believe he is 2010 eligible but oh boy is he skilled. Always in the right place and has a quick, lethal shot.

Garrett Mitchell- Not really a first rounder, but I doubt you could find a harder worker or hitter on the team right now.

Team USA-

Jeremy Morin- Obviously blessed with an abundance of skill. Has a quick first step and I like how quick he gets his shot off.

Drew Shore- Speedy kid but a very selfish player. Saw him pass up an open teammate to make a pass to himself off the boards.

Cam Fowler- Excellent skater, extremely fluid in his movements. Tries to be too cute with the puck. Solid positionally.

Nick Mattson- Same skater as Fowler, but no nonsense. Up and down the ice and makes few mistakes.

Team Sweden-

Carl Klingberg- By far the best player I have seen at the tournament. A big, physical winger, Klingberg plays a throwback style of game, using his size and speed to drive the net. Seems to have decent hands, and looks to hurt people when he hits. If the Oilers look to go gritty, we could do a lot worse than him. Would draft him over Kassian 10 times out of 10. Is not far from NHL ready, in my opinion.

Jacob Josefson- Very skilled two way center. Cerebral type of game where he is always well positioned. Good on faceoffs and distributes the puck well. No drop off in speed when he carries the puck.

Magnus Svensson-Paajarvi- Despite the hype, I wasn’t really blown away. Game changing speed and carries the puck well, but played a perimeter game against the Canadians. Dangerous down low and can cycle, but would have liked to see him get aggressive, especially when the Swedes were down 3-2 and pressing.

Tim Erixon- Another smooth skating defender. Didn’t know much about him until I saw him live. Has the same skill set as John Moore, but does it better. Heavy shot and calm player. Will skate puck to safety when pressed.

I also liked William Wallen and Mattias Lindstrom. Wallen was a small, skill guy while Lindstrom was a handful physically.

Team Russia-

Dmitri Kulikov was the only player that stood out for me, though I saw the Russians play Norway and no one looked to amped up to be there. A late 90 birthday, Kulikov looked to be a very composed player. Did everything well but didn’t seem to have one standout skill.

73. kanadienkyle says:

I forgot to mention Calvin De Haan. A decent offensive type defender, I thought his skating was sub-par.

74. Stuart van says:

How often has Detroit traded up to pick the hot prospect?

I say Ryan Ellis. Prolific scorer on defense.

75. Ben says:

KanadienKyle: Kulikov’s too old for this tournament. You can’t have seen him play.

76. kanadienkyle says:

Ben,

You are right, I didnt have a lineup card for that game and assumed the big defender was Kulikov. Will track down the name of the guy I saw. My apologies.

77. kanadienkyle says:

It was not Kulikov I saw, but rather Dmitri Orlov. My apologies. Similar size etc. This makes a bit more sense, as the kid was a good player, but I didnt see what the hype was about.