Redline Flushes Tavares

Redline report is run by a guy named Kyle Woodlief, who used to be a scout for Nashville. Woodlief is long on confidence and seems to be the one scout on earth who realizes there’s a market for pre-draft scouting reports that are critical of young prospects.

To give you an idea about how Woodlief rolls, he one stated Ales Hemsky had “no balls” and that Rob Schremp was “selfish and petulant with an attitude of entitlement” and that Riley Nash was “a big, raw, naturally athletic kid who can skate, shoot and pass.”

So it’s with special interest that I look forward to Woodlief’s reports in the USA Today each month or so (the latest installment is here). I follow his stuff closely enough to know that he ranked the Tavares-Hedman race in that order.

You can imagine my surprise when I came across this item from NY Newsday. First of all I should tell you that lots of the very best pre-draft information comes from the New York media generally and fans/followers of the New York Islanders specifically.

The money quote in the Newsday article is this one from Woodleif: “I’ve always felt Hedman should be the No. 1 pick. The reason we flip-flopped Duchene and Tavares is due to the fact Tavares’ effort level has been underwhelming through the first two rounds of the [Ontario Hockey League] playoffs. Tavares may score 40 or 50 goals a season, but he’s one-dimensional. If he’s not scoring, he’s not helping. Right now, he’s the third-best draft-eligible forward on his own team behind Nazem Kadri and Phil Varone. Tavares (9-10-19) and Varone (10-8-18) have about the same number of points, but Varone is plus-16, and Tavares is even. London has a great power play, and Tavares is getting all his points on the power play. Five-on-five, Tavares has been nothing short of a liability. His attitude of entitlement stinks.”

I doubt very much that scouts and GMs are going to rank Tavares at #3 on any list, but this is the first report available that shows a crack in the Tavares armour.

64 Responses to "Redline Flushes Tavares"

1. Darren says:

Sounds alittle like our Beloved Rob Schremp?

2. Chris says:

I realize that the world juniors is a small sample size but for a guy with all the ype that Tavares has as the next big thing I honestly wasn’t impressed. Yes, he scored alot of goals but he didn’t really seem to drive the play. His scoring all seemed to come from him standing around the goal and tapping things in. Tavares didn’t even look like the best player on his line..Hodgson looked far more impressive as a complete hockey player. Tavares looked like a rich man’s Joffrey Lupul.

3. Lord Bob says:

So, whatdya think of him falling to number ten? Eh? Ehhh?

4. Ribs says:

So…Woodlief’s a Leafs fan?

5. Ducey says:

Kadri looked pretty good the other night in the game that was televised. He actually threw a few hits (a novelty for a first rounder around here)and seemed to have a good compete level.

I have no idea how he compares to the other options.

6. boopronger says:

Chris i felt the same way. The guy that was feeding him the passes was Eberle :)

7. Fake Craig McTavish says:

boopronger said…

Hodgson was the conductor on that train.

8. Chris says:

I thought Eberle looked good in the tournament too boopronger, though to be honest I was more impressed with Hodgson he looked like a force.

9. Unleaded says:

If for any reason he does fall to 10, I really hope we pass. The last thing this team needs is a pure goal scorer.

10. Fake Craig McTavish says:

Unleaded said…

Craig…are you back from Mexico?

11. Smarmy Boss says:

I dunno Tavares was pretty huge in that game against the U.S.

He’s definitely a game breaking talent.

12. boopronger says:

Whoa, I know Hodgson was the man on that line but he wasnt drafted by the Oilers…

13. rickibear says:

//He’s definitely a game breaking talent.//

Just not in the OHL playoffs.

Plus not breaking 2.2PTs/GM as a 18year old in The OHL is a warning.

Kane was 2.5Pts/GM

But hey he is leading his team in scoring in the playoffs. UH ER. Nevermind.

But he is stepping it up in the playoffs. HIs point total has gone up. UH ER!

Seriously though he might be a 40 goal guy. Goals! Goals!

14. DBO says:

How much did brian burke pay the redline guys to talk about tavares not being as good a prospect? the third best on his team? While he may be tired and slowing down, he’s going to be an offensive force in the NHL. yeah he’s just offense, but so was gretzky. he’s no gretzky, but he was what we thought he was.

15. Jonathan Willis says:

Seems fairly obvious that Woodlief’s being deliberately incedinary here.

On the other hand, I do agree with Woodlief on Hedman, despite the Tournament of Small Sample Size.

16. Hawerchuk says:

Without actually watching Tavares, his performance this year leaves me with a lot of questions. He’s one of the oldest players in his draft class, and he doesn’t appear to have gotten any better over the last three years purely from a scoring perspective.

That said, he’s better than Kadri and Varone. Don’t even joke about that. And his performance in the OHL is still better than Hedman’s in Sweden.

17. PunjabiOil says:

In other news, Grebeshkov really wants to sign in Edmonton. I would look at offering him a 6-8 year deal and keep the cap hit around 3.6M

As per a European website:

So, you have decided to stay in Edmonton? Your contract has just expired …

Yes, I would like to. We’re now talking, and I think we’re quite close to signing a new contract. I like the team. I like playing there, I like the team, the guys. And it’s a hockey city. I mean, this is Edmonton, Canada. It fills me with satisfaction, playing there. The only thing I still haven’t experienced is the playoffs, and I’d really like to know how it feels. I hope we’ll do better next season. The regular season has just ended, and I think management will slowly start putting together the new team. Who knows, it can even happen that half of the team will get traded. There will be changes, overall. You’ve got to make changes to make the playoffs.

18. Lord Bob says:

I love Grebeshkov, even if I hate his LSD blotter, and I hope we get a great long-term contract inked.

But god, that’s a lot of money on that blueline. God god god. Every time I look at the team I just think about that.

19. HBomb says:

Simple solution to pay Grebeshkov: dump that god-awful Staios deal. Hopefully if they can go long term, they can keep the Grebeshkov cap hit around 3 million per season.

Then, if you can ink Smid long term and get Bouwmeester long term as a UFA, look at moving Souray for a forward (we’ll call this forward Clyan Rowe, Or Fralexander Olov, just for simplicity’s sake).

Bouwmeester-Visnovsky-Gilbert-Grebeshkov-Smid

You’d be set for awhile on the blue, that’s for sure.

20. RiversQ says:

Woodlief was way wrong about Hemsky though wasn’t he?

Very few players in the NHL will go into the corner for a loose puck against a guy like Regehr as hard as Hemsky does.

When you consider the fact he’s been pummeled a half-dozen times and still doesn’t quit that says something. Stupid, maybe. But definitely king-size bollocks.

21. Mark-Ryan says:

So basically, Tavares is Dany Heatley? In a draft where there is no Crosby or Ovechkin (as much as the media likes to turn every consensus #1 into one of those players, there obviously isn’t one here) – a Dany Heatley goes first overall nearly every time.

22. hunter1909 says:

Edmonton looks quite a lot like a city from the Soviet Union(horrible climate+grey), so it’s not a shock that a Russian would take to it.

Growing up there, I used to hear about the Russian front, and wondering how anyone could survive those winters, only to discover later on that Edmonton winters were virtually identical, LOL.

Not every hockey player wants a high maintenance trophy whore, and the bright lights. I would imagine quite the reverse, actually, considering the background of most of them.

Tambellini talks a great game. Signing a player who sounds like he likes Edmonton is another step in the right direction.

23. quain says:

I don’t know, looking purely at the numbers and trends he sure looks to have hit a bit of a wall, especially given that he’s fairly old. He’ll still be a player, but given what it looked like he was capable of two years ago it’s not nearly as impressive.

At best you hope he’s just bored.

You know Hunter, I mean this in the nicest possible way but if everyone who posts on this blog was in a bar on a Friday night, you might be wearing your ass for a hat. :-)

As an aside, the Finns love this joint too.

By the by, I’d encourage everyone to have a deeper look at Hedman. He apparently played the tough minutes and his plus minus towers over the other D.

25. Schitzo says:

So if Hedman is the Swedish Pronger, does that make Tavares the Daigle of this draft?

26. DBO says:

LT; LOL. Hunter getting under your skin? Take it for the entertainment value, and be happy with dreaming about an inappropriate comment in the wrong place and “that” happening.

As for Grebeshkov. Looking at his stats, game, age and the economic climate a $3 mill cap hit is a reasonable deal. I think they’ll get him to a 5 or 6 year deal for around $3.5 when it’s all said and done. the Staios deal is a killer, and at this point i’d look to move Smid as well. I think you can slide Peckham into his spot and not lose much, and you might be able to get something for him. I’d like us to pick up a 5/6 dman in Paul Mara. Looked at his stats compared to Zanon, and he’s better EV/60, has a solid corsi and brings more offense while being physical. A perfect 5/6 guy who we can sign for no more then $1.5 m. I’d take him over Zanon (although I do like what Zanon brings, Nashville will likely re-sign him since they hav cap space).

27. Oilman says:

In a draft where there is no Crosby or Ovechkin (as much as the media likes to turn every consensus #1 into one of those players, there obviously isn’t one here) – a Dany Heatley goes first overall nearly every time.Except when the Islanders have the first pick

28. George B says:

I would also select Hedman over Tavares.

If everyone remembers correctly, without a Dany Heatley on the team a certain franchise went on a pretty good run with a “Pronger-type” leading the way.

Hedman is very smooth. A great skater, and he isn’t timid. He has some sandpaper to his game when required.

Tavares doesn’t remind me of Heatley. The skating was and still is an issue for me…and I don’t think of Heatley as a particularly bad skater.

That also said, with a comparison to Brett Hull, that would mean moving Tavares from C to W to become a sniper?

29. Quinn says:

Seems to me Woodlief’s article raises at least two issues.

One: a renewal of BPA versus need. That is to say, do you need a pure scorer who will take 10 years to develop a rounded game (if ever). Or do you get the guy who will not be as flashy but be a better franchise building block. I know where I fall on that issue.

Second: video scouting. It seems that scouts who go to see these players must get hypnotised by the goals and the finish of some guys. Blinders go up to overall game and numbers are only used if they bolster their opinion. But if you use the video scouting idea then you get a better sense of the game and how the player fits into it. I know I am simplifying what great scouts do, but I suspect there is a least a kernel of truth in what I am saying.

30. quain says:

I think there’s value in talking about replacing Smid with someone else, but I don’t think that someone else should be Peckham.

Given that the numbers and our eyes say they played fairly similar minutes (both at the 5/6 with Strudwick), here are there stats:

Smid
    CORSI: -13.4
    PTS/60: 0.80
    GF-GA/60: -0.36
    PDO: 99.9%

Peckham
    CORSI: -21.2
    PTS/60: 0.00
    GF-GA/60: -0.35
    PDO: 102.1%

This isn’t to speak poorly of Peckham as a prospect or anything like that, I just don’t see a reason to insert him into the lineup over a cheap veteran. And it’s also not to speak poorly of Smid, I’d like to see him back for a Matt Greene deal, but if the discussion is going to happen it needs to be Smid vs Not Peckham.

31. Alice says:

Agreed on Hedman,
    Even if we call Hedman =~ Tavares as a wash in terms of BPA, impact on a team – I think you have to say the rarer commodity has more value.
    I count 12 35 goal scorers this year, 13 last year. How many Pronger/Boumeester/Chara’s are there? More than 3 certainly. But it’s a pretty small handful.

Meantime I hope Woodlief is right and Burkie follows his own Woody right into Jason Bonsignore-land. Dare to dream.

32. Unleaded says:

Trading Smid now after giving him three seasons to learn the ropes in the NHL would be… ridiculously foolish. Just before he got hurt at the end of the season, he was showing some major growth in his game. He was jumping up into the plays, making things happen offensively, and still playing with a physical edge to his game. Unless you are trading him straight-up for a blue-chip game breaking talent, or for Hedman after the draft (I’m terrified that the Oiler Brass would take someone else with the top pick) you keep him, abd if he shows the same improvements next year, sign him to a cheap contract extension.

33. Bruce says:

Hopefully if they can go long term, they can keep the Grebeshkov cap hit around 3 million per season.Seems to me with Gilbert the annual cap hit was pricier because of the extended term, as they bought the first couple (?) of his UFA-eligible years.

Alice: Agreed in principle IF Tavares is “just another” 35-goal scorer. Put it another way: How many 50-goal scorers are there?

34. Kyle says:

In the World Juniors I felt the same thing. He’s not impressive 5v5.

Did I see him good? I’m not sure, but that’s what I saw.

35. NBOilerFan says:

This is off topic and I’m likely just jumping the gun here, Lowetide, but I am very interested in seeing your Spring 09′ “Roster and Dollar Update” post spelling out the roster and salary numbers for players under contract next year, unsigned players and your take on what the Oilers should do to fill out teh roster and keep within the cap.

Here is last springs post (April, 2008 of archives)…

36. Rod says:

Quinn said:

Maybe it’s just me, but both of those options sound like BPA.

37. R-Gib says:

On Tavares vs Hedman:
    JT MAY BECOME a 50g scorer one day, and I suppose that is what his potential is limited to. Brett Hull lite?
    Hedman at full potential is scary – and thus the best building block in the draft.

On the Oiler Blue:
    I like Grebeskov. I like that he likes Edmonton. An extension sounds like a good play moving forward. BUT – they will need to move some of these “bluedollars” if they keep him. Staios is a given if you can move him – that is a hard contract to move – note NO ONE picked up Kyle McLaren when SJ put him on waivers last yr. If they sign 37 then I imagine one of 44, 71 or 77 is out the door for a forward.
    Also, you have to keep Smid. We need decent cheap options for the 5-6 spots… and no, a $1.5M dman is NOT a cheap option given our top 4.

38. Sean says:

I agree RE Smid when people say trading him would be a mistake. He can be signed to a bargain contract this year. Look at Brent Seabrook, it taken him till this year to develop and they’ve followed very similiar career paths. I aint saying Smid is Seabrook but trading Smid now after all this development investment would be a mistake.

39. George B says:

Re: Tavares and 50 goals.

There is one 50 goal scorer in the league, and no one that is 40 and above had any question on their skating ability when they were drafted.

40. Oilman says:

note NO ONE picked up Kyle McLaren when SJ put him on waivers last yr.Kyle McLaren was traded in March to Philly but the trade was nullified by the Flyers when McLaren failed the physical.

41. rananda says:

And his performance in the OHL is still better than Hedman’s in Sweden.Huh? Hedman played on the top d-pair for Modo, led their defensemen in +/- and was second in points behind Matias Timander, who’s played over 400 games in the NHL. What Hedman did in the SEL as a 17 yr old is nothing short of astonishing. He career trajectory currently projects above Lidstrom’s and any team that passes on him doesn’t know what they’re doing.

42. Bruce says:

Agreed re: Smid. As is so typical with big (mostly) stay-at-home blueliners, he is progressing at what seems at times like a tectonic rate, but progress is inexorably being made.

I had hoped he would cut further still on his mistakes this season, but cut them he did. As importantly he seemed to be emerging as more of a proactive, even commanding presence out there. His play with the puck took a real leap, esp. in Oilers’ end of the ice where he has calmed down quite a bit. Give him a split second to receive the pass, Steve, and Ladi makes a calm read and a safe play with the puck.

Next on the list is Smid needs to give a couple of those marauding forecheckers the “Lucic treatment”. He’s way too much fun to hit, although I saw some encouraging signs there as well as the year went on.

Smid may start his next contract still on the third pairing, but I’d be very surprised if he ended it there. With the right term and terms, he’s a very decent bet to outperform his next pact.

43. rickibear says:

//Trading Smid now after giving him three seasons to learn the ropes in the NHL would be… ridiculously foolish.//

Grebs and Gilbert were both top 5 Ev pts production. Our best PPPts/60.
    Grebs one of 9 Dmen to be top 50 in PPPts/60, EvPts/60, EvGA/60.

As for physical prescence. Smid was close to a 100 Hit, 100Blk, Pace. There are 45 Dmen that can be that physical.

And Peckham on pace for 120Hits-120 Blks. He ended up with 2.82EVga/60 when he started 3.2EVga/60 in his first 7 Games. The last 8 he was 2.48 EVGA/60. Terrible Corsi and soft work but let him Hammer away.

The rtss 120-120 club with 2.80GA/60.

The list 17 Dmen:

Aaron Ward
    Dennis Seidenberg
    Braydon Coburn
    Jason Smith
    Bryce Salvador

21 Remarkable.

Thats a 5-6 for 2M 11Ev minutes a night. Smid with 3Min PK.

I would say bye to Vish and Souray if we find cheaper PK dmen talent with similiar EVGA/60 and get assets for them.

Zannon and Seidenberg please.

Que: End of Wayne’s World dream Sequence.

44. hunter1909 says:

Thanks for the advice Lowetide. It helps remind me to avoid Edmonton bars, which always reminded me a little too much of Dodge City to begin with.

45. Traktor says:

“One thing I really like about the Oilers is their defence. Souray, Visnovsky, Grebeshkov, Gilbert all add up to one of the very best defence top fours in the NHL, and Smid+Peckham provide the team with a really REALLY bright future.”

Sounds like someone is buying Lowe’s snake oil.

46. dawgbone says:

Traktor, are you the type of guy who believes that defencemen keep the puck out and forwards score?

Personally speaking, I’d love to see what a healthy version of this defence could do on a team not trying to break in a bunch of young guys at forward.

This D isn’t good enough to drive results on it’s own (there aren’t many, if any, in the NHL), but it’s still pretty damn good.

They were not the issue this year.

47. hunter1909 says:

When healthy and functioning last season, my scattered estimate being from December until Visnovsky got hurt, the Oilers defence was as good as anything I’ve seen this year. Including Boston.

They were able to get the puck out of the zone so quickly it made for 75% more scoring attempts by the “offense”, thus giving the Oilers a seemingly outstanding transition game. Were it all together, and the Oilers even average offensively, we’d probably be whipping someone in the first round right now.

And with a defence clearing the zone so quickly, the opposition simply doesn’t have time to set up, let alone score.

48. hunter1909 says:

LOL one of my Ranger pals just sent me the following remark, that I want to share with all of my friends on LoweTide re the Caps v Rags playoffs: THEY NEED TO SERIOUSLY BEAT THE SHIT OUT OF THEM ON THEIR OWN FUCKING ICE AND SEND OVECHKIN A SERIOUS MESSAGE IN’ WE HAD ENUFF OF YOUR JUMPING UP AND DOWN SHIT..HOWS THIS ELBOW TO YOUR JAW YOU FUCKING ARROGANT COMMIE”

49. Traktor says:

Dawgbone:

About a month ago I questioned Hunter’s claim that “Lowe destroyed the teams future” and then he then accussed me of buying Lowe’s snake oil.

My comment was just poking fun at Hunter for flip flopping.

Our D was really the only bright spot this year.

50. hunter1909 says:

That’s rich coming from me, considering my best friend at college once told me I was the only person he had ever met in his entire life who could hold two diametrically opposing arguments and argue either of them equally as vehemently as the other.

51. Schitzo says:

My comment was just poking fun at Hunter for flip flopping.Good lord, you’ve been trying to find some coherent line of thinking in his posts?

I thought I’d empty the Atlantic with a soup spoon before I got around to that.

52. Jonathan Willis says:

Hunter: Thanks for that message, displaying the stupidity of some hockey fans. I’d link to a Don Brennan article and call us even, but I’m feeling lazy.

53. oilerdago says:

Traktor: You can use a lot of metrics to see that the Oiler’s D was their greatest strength.

Best in the league? No, but it was obvious that the issues up front were much greater and unlike 06/07, we could get the puck out of our zone and we got offense from the back end.

So when Visnovsky went down, I think any real chance this team had went down with him.

My sense is Tambo will part with one of his top 4 in order to get one of the important offensive players they need this summer. I especially believe this because the value of the softer forwards right now (27/12/18/78/51) is so low that the only other way to get them off your roster is send them down or buy them out.

Packaging kills 2 birds with one stone and creates roster flexibility that will be necessary to also sign a 3C who is solid on the PK.

Regarding Smid, he’s come a long way and I think is ready to make us forget Mean Matt Greene. Signing him to a value contract and giving Peckham 6/7 D man minutes is the route.

It would be nice to see if you could move Staios, but if you could move 18, I’d be willing to accept 24 on the backend because he’s a good mentor and will give you a tough vet presence (he just can’t do it every night any more).
    His contract is ugly, but he takes fewer stupid penalties than 18.

54. spOILer says:

I find it a little funny that Woodlief compares Duchene, his new top forward pick, to Yzerman, as a great two way, sound defensively player.

I don’t think anyone would have used the words Yzerman and defensively in the same sentence back when Stevie Y was junior age or starting out in the NHL… unless “needs to be better” was in the same sentence.

55. Smytty777 says:

This is completely off topic, but is anyone else comfortable with keeping Moreau and Pisani together next year and providing them a solid veteran checking center (Pahlsson, Reasoner or Malhotra). I think Moreau might be due for a bounce back year, he is coming off some horrific injuries and I think you will see him return to more valuable form next season. But maybe that is just wishful thinking.

I do think Staios needs to go, say what you will about Penner and Horc, I don’t think they are playing $2M below value, I think Staios might be.

I’m not sure Yzerman would ever have fit the description. You’d have to show me the years.

57. HBomb says:

Detroit’s broadcast team fawning over “Columbus’ best defender, Jan Hejda”.

Hearing that makes me want to vomit for a number of reasons.

58. Jonathan Willis says:

I would be. I don’t think a Moreau move is in the cards, and while he was soundly outchanced with some better linemates (and moderately reduced competition) I think he can get the job done.

He may not drive the Moreau/Pahlsson/Pisani line, but he’d probably be fine as a supporting piece. And as much as I hate parts of his game, things like the hit on Brown remind me that he does add value to the roster.

59. quain says:

Hearing that makes me want to vomit for a number of reasons.Is it because he was on the ice for literally every single even strength goal in the first two games?

Great defender, but if I’m him I’m not listing these playoffs at the top of the resume.

60. Ribs says:

Ol’ Danny up to the same tricks I see. Will he never learn?

I Figured I’d look through the Detroit goals and Hejda is still doing things that MacT couldn’t pummel out of him. He was caught doing the two major faults in his game that cost his team goals.

Play one has him lost in front of his own net not knowing who to cover and doing a poor job when he does.

Play two has him inexplicably stopping just before his own blueline leaving him exposed to all sorts of mayhem.

I thought maybe he was done with this sort of stuff after seeing the numbers he’s put up this year but damn. The guy still has issues.

61. rickibear says:

//Detroit’s broadcast team fawning over “Columbus’ best defender, Jan Hejda”.

Hearing that makes me want to vomit for a number of reasons.//

What Dmen of ours are in there defensive prime (Age 28-32) at the start of this season?

62. HBomb says:

quain: Small sample size against the best damn team in hockey. You’re playing the tough minutes against Datsyuk, Hossa, Zetterberg and Franzen, and well, you’re going to probably get beat up on the stats sheet a lot of nights.

2 million a year for what Hejda did for Columbus this year would have been a VERY nice substitute for watching washed up Steve Staios get schooled for 35% more cap hit, that’s for sure.

Visnovsky/Hejda
    Souray/Gilbert
    Smid/Grebeshkov

Nice top six if you ask me.

63. HBomb says:

Hell, I’d take Hejda at 2 million plus the cap savings over Souray at 5.4 million, to be completely honest.

64. quain says:

Like I said, good defender, but I wouldn’t put this series on his resume. And, in fairness, he got slaughtered by Jiri Hudler and gang, as Detroit had last change.

But yes, I would take him. Hell, I would take any veteran that can actually play defense without costing us $5M a year.